PDA

View Full Version : TAMIL FILMS OF International quality

thimuru
29th December 2006, 10:52 PM
lets discuss abt quality tamil movies!

tamil directors have never been adoor,sathyajithray or rithwik to give a pure cinema!

they mix up songs and some elemends...but that cannot separate them from being a quality film maker!

lets discuss abt the movies which are of high standard produced in tamil cinema!

it depends upon

1.content
2.style
3.originality ..then what else!

my favourite directors are

mahendran (absolute favourite as i dont find any particular minus in his flms which is rare for any tamil film director)

barathiraja(he dramatize events...but anyway...a great director..morover for his originality)

kamalhaasan(for his daring hey raam and inspired virumaandi)

maniratnam(my brain says he copies even scenes..but my heart force me to add his name...donno why :lol: )

balumahendra -moondram pirai,sathileelavathi...got his own style which is too good..but scripts are always not upto the mark imho..he is a very good director imho

in younger generation

bala - just for sethu

now films

what are the movies that you consider as quality stuff!

thimuru
29th December 2006, 10:57 PM
some of the movies that comes to my mind are

moondram pirai
hey raam
johnny(quality entertainer)
mahanadhi
16 vayadhiniley
iruvar
sethu

Nerd
29th December 2006, 11:02 PM
:)

thimuru
29th December 2006, 11:07 PM
anjali - donno why it was nominated!

kurudhipunal - i believe its of international standards!... :roll:

nayagan - even scenes are copied...if story its ok!...but an excellent movie!..cant get oscar for that :lol:

hey raam - oscar stuff

bulb_mani
29th December 2006, 11:09 PM
PESUM PADAM [ PUSHPAK ]

great
29th December 2006, 11:10 PM
1. MMKR
2. Kannathil Muthamittal
3. Bombay
4. Pesum Padam

thimuru
29th December 2006, 11:11 PM
PESUM PADAM [ PUSHPAK ]

yeah..absolutely!

A RARE THING THAT OUR CINEMA TOUCH - DARK HUMOUR

bulb_mani
29th December 2006, 11:13 PM
May i know the parameters that define a film of INTERNATIONAL STANDARDS?

U mean a movie that can be watched n appreciated by everyone? :roll:

thimuru
29th December 2006, 11:14 PM
May i know the parameters that define a film of INTERNATIONAL STANDARDS?

U mean a movie that can be watched n appreciated by everyone? :roll:

we can proudly screen the movie in any nation !

:D thats what i believe

Kollywoodfan
29th December 2006, 11:16 PM
Nayagan
Hey Raam
Karnan (idk, this seems like a devotional classic)
Sethu
Mudhalvan (political entertainer)

Nerd
29th December 2006, 11:16 PM
IMHO, we can never compete with hollywood movies when it comes to urban theme. They are simply the best.

I would always prefer village subjects in tamil and I believe they can bring an oscar. These are some of my most favourite films in the village genre.

16 vayathinilE
mudhal mariyaadhai
muLLum malarum
kaadhal (though not exactly a village)

bulb_mani
29th December 2006, 11:17 PM
Virumaandi ..... the best on-screen JALLI KATTU ive ever seen... other movies show comedy scenes in the name of bull fight like most sarathkumar / ramarajan films :lol:

bulb_mani
29th December 2006, 11:19 PM
Mugavari and Kaadhal Koatai [ for its novel theme ] :)

Ulaganayagan
29th December 2006, 11:25 PM
Mugavari and Kaadhal Koatai [ for its novel theme ] :)
:oops:
Bulb,Neenga Salangai Oli,Raja Paarvai paarthirukkengala ?

bulb_mani
29th December 2006, 11:26 PM
Ulaganayagan.... KAADHAL KOATAI was a nice movie a national award winning movie too witha novel theme :)

Mugavari i feel it has the class though the music was looted one :oops:

Enoda opinion adhu :roll:

I never denied KAMAL's many films r of international standard :)

Ulaganayagan
29th December 2006, 11:36 PM
What I am trying to say is that they are'nt really 'novel'..
Mugavari borrows heavily from Salangai Oli...
I mentioned Raja Paarvai, cuz adhuvum 'paarkamaley' kadhal panradhuthaan (the fact that RP was itself an inspired concept, is another story)

bulb_mani
29th December 2006, 11:37 PM
Ulagu SALANGAI olikum MUGAVARIKUm i dont see any similarity :roll:

KAADHAL KOATAI and RAJA PAARVAI ... he is blind in it... i dont see any similarity again :oops:

Seri vidunga naane award kuduthukaren :P

Ulaganayagan
29th December 2006, 11:46 PM
The thread between Salangai Oli and Mugavari is quite plain IMO..
Kadhal Kottai was also blind love (not in the literal sense). What I am saying is that it was different but not novel.

bulb_mani
29th December 2006, 11:48 PM
Certainly both r class movies 8-)

How about MOUNA RAGAM :roll:

bingleguy
29th December 2006, 11:52 PM
Well international Standards...... Kamal cannot be forgotten !

Hey Ram !
My VOTE # 1 for the best movie ! Excellent topic chosen, managed screen play, wonderful acting, Excellent Choice of roles .... Good choice of names ... Brilliant pre-independence studies and sets... absolutely good songs and wonderful choice of singers !
This is by all means to be nominated ... but sadly ... didnt make it !
The movie was pretty long and Rated R, as in not suited for ppl who look only for entertainment !

The scenes were carefully handled ... particularly the pre-independence situations ....

The Calcutta Riots were very carefully studied, and the sets were really a tough job, making those buildings, constructing markets, roads, vehicles and those trams .... ppl .... all these were definitely a difficult task ... which were handled really with care !

even a small pen used in the film were given importance and situations well understood ... like the typical iyengar way of marriage.... typical Maharashtrian activities ... typical Dec 06 day... typical dialogues in a brahmin family ... typical ponnu paakara scene.... typical riot scene ..... and many more ... This movie .... deserves more than applause !

Nerd
29th December 2006, 11:53 PM
How about MOUNA RAGAM :roll:

Most certainly :thumbsup:

My most favourite MR movie 8-)

bulb_mani
29th December 2006, 11:54 PM
I dont know why we dont try anything novel like HOME ALONE or BABY's DAY OUT... there was a TELUGU remake with NAGARJUn n HIS BABY but was horrible masala stuff :oops:

Nerd
30th December 2006, 12:18 AM
Shivaji/MGR movies, I havent seen a lot :oops:

But these b/w movies are really good, IMO:

1. parAsakthi
2. andha naaL
3. dheiva magan
4. major chandrakanth
5. vietnaam veedu
5. Most of the historic movies (kappalOttiya thamizhan, veerapaaNdiya kattabomman)
6. server sundaram
7. ethir neechal

bingleguy
30th December 2006, 12:19 AM
I dont know why we dont try anything novel like HOME ALONE or BABY's DAY OUT... there was a TELUGU remake with NAGARJUn n HIS BABY but was horrible masala stuff :oops:

we are more indulged into the HEROISM stuff :-) hence even andha maadiri padam eduthaalum oodaadhu ...

My dear kuttichattan vandhudhu .... 3D kkaaga dhaan makkal paathaanga ... but normal padam nnu paathriukka maataanga !

there was another movie - Ramesh aravind ... n all ... that was life of a small girl who comes to work in the house as a maid ... andha padam theatre kku vandhu dhaaanne doubt !

Maalooty - based on a real incident, of a kid falling into the pit .... indha padam ethanai perukku theriyum

ART movies nnu National award kkaaga odhikki veikkappadum padangaL ... eppavaavadhu DD la madhiyaanam poduvaan ... avvalavudhaan ..... adhukku importance kidaiyaadhu .....

Kurudhi Punal .... a heroic crime drama .... adhula Kamal Gowthami yai kiss panradha pathi pesina alavukku kooda padathula varra nalla vishayangalai pathi pesala .....

a lot more like this ......

HERO eppadi nadichaalum adhai kai thatti comment pannaama paarthaa dhaan ellarukkum pudikkidhu ... unga aalu perusaa enga aalu perusaa nnu sandailaye paadhi neram pogudhu .... ;-) indha maadiri irukkum podhu yaaru Baby's day out maadiri yo Home Alone maadiri yo padam eduppaanga !

The above said was not to pinpoint any fan following :-) stuffs ... naan solradhu sandai podurathai pathi mattum dhaan ....

bingleguy
30th December 2006, 12:26 AM
Shivaji/MGR movies, I havent seen a lot :oops:

But these b/w movies are really good, IMO:

1. parAsakthi
2. andha naaL
3. dheiva magan
4. major chandrakanth
5. vietnaam veedu
5. Most of the historic movies (kappalOttiya thamizhan, veerapaaNdiya kattabomman)
6. server sundaram
7. ethir neechal

These were very good picks !

1. parAsakthi
wonderful portrayal of a youth facing problems of life out there ....

2. andha naaL
appove war base panni edutha movie .... Kolaiyum seival pathini nnu nirobicha padam

3. dheiva magan
the excellent portrayal of the way ppl behave with a person who was born with disabilities .... even his own dad treats him differently

4. major chandrakanth
awesome say of a person who is blind ... but still can judge the world ...

5. vietnaam veedu
Brilliant portrayal of a man with Prestige as his Life ! how to live ....

These were really appreciated for the acting ! the character made to live by Chevalier Sivaji Ganesan !

6. server sundaram
Beautiful comic strip by Nagesh making ppl understand that even a person with such a face can prove his acting.... saying Acting is nothing but skill .....

7. ethir neechal
KB has shown this wonderful drama portraying a youth's life ... who wanted to go upstream to live his life !

:clap: Nerd ! Good Quotes !

Wibha
30th December 2006, 01:01 AM
AALAVANDAN :notworthy:

the movie was done really well...... the fights and the way he built his body for da villain character :2thumbsup:

Aandavan
30th December 2006, 01:36 AM
some of the movies that comes to my mind are

moondram pirai
hey raam
johnny(quality entertainer)
mahanadhi
16 vayadhiniley
iruvar
sethu nilavu !!! what happened to mazhaichaaral??

Aandavan
30th December 2006, 01:39 AM
AALAVANDAN :notworthy:

the movie was done really well...... the fights and the way he built his body for da villain character :2thubsup: :shock: :shock: this movie made me a kamal fan... but its not great... anyway its a pleasant surprise to see such a post

Wibha
30th December 2006, 03:53 AM
aalavandan was taken in a different way which many people did not like.. flash back came in the middle kinda style...... but wat ever it is it is worth a movie and kamal deserved more for that movie :yes:

bulb_mani
30th December 2006, 03:54 AM
Wibha u forgot to mention ur favourite movie of international quality THAMBI :lol2:

Wibha
30th December 2006, 03:56 AM
Wibha u forgot to mention ur favourite movie of international quality THAMBI :lol2:

bulb it's not funny.. :hammer:

ennoda list innum mudiyala..modala kamal mudichutu apram varean :poke:

bulb_mani
30th December 2006, 04:08 AM
Wibha dont name TOM n JERRY :lol2: :poke:

Wibha
30th December 2006, 04:09 AM
Wibha dont name TOM n JERRY :lol2: :poke:

bulb do u think i have a mind like urs to think of Tom and Jerry? :poke:

bulb_mani
30th December 2006, 04:17 AM
Ok Wibha nominate MICKEY MOUSE THEN :P

Wibha have u seen PUDUPET? Technically speaking its of international standards :roll:

only VV and PUDUPET have used some35mm camera for the firts time in INDIAN films :)

Wibha
30th December 2006, 04:20 AM
Ok Wibha nominate MICKEY MOUSE THEN :P

Wibha have u seen PUDUPET? Technically speaking its of international standards :roll:

only VV and PUDUPET have used some35mm camera for the firts time in INDIAN films :)

i haven't seen pudupettai.dats one movie i missed :(

will see it though

VV is good :yes:

thimuru
30th December 2006, 08:10 AM
IMHO, we can never compete with hollywood movies when it comes to urban theme. They are simply the best.

I would always prefer village subjects in tamil and I believe they can bring an oscar. These are some of my most favourite films in the village genre.

16 vayathinilE
mudhal mariyaadhai
muLLum malarum
kaadhal (though not exactly a village)

we can make good films in urban theme..but that must show the real face of our cities

it mustnt be like a combined pieces of advertisements like kaaka kaaka

nickraman
30th December 2006, 08:15 AM
Iyarkai
Iruvar, Bombay, Roja
Indian, Anniyan
Bala's films

Sinthiya
30th December 2006, 08:23 AM
:notthatway:....

My picks from what I've seen:

-Kannathil Muthamittal :thumbsup:...my fav!
-Mouna Ragam
-Salangai Oli...
-Kaakha Kaakha...

thimuru
30th December 2006, 08:28 AM
Iyarkai
Iruvar, Bombay, Roja
Indian, Anniyan
Bala's films

:shock:
:lol:

great
30th December 2006, 08:29 AM
Iyarkai
Iruvar, Bombay, Roja
Indian, Anniyan
Bala's films

:shock:

I was about to quote that nilavu :lol:

thimuru
30th December 2006, 08:29 AM
:notthatway:....

My picks from what I've seen:

-Kannathil Muthamittal :thumbsup:...my fav!
-Mouna Ragam
-Salangai Oli...
-Kaakha Kaakha...

:roll:

Sinthiya
30th December 2006, 08:32 AM
Kaakha Kaakha...
i know...it took some time for me to decide on that movie... :roll: ...i liked Surya's simple performance - seemed really natural and the movie just flows well from scene to scene... :)

great
30th December 2006, 08:34 AM
KK was good especially the romance part :thumbsup:

thimuru
30th December 2006, 08:36 AM
Kaakha Kaakha...
i know...it took some time for me to decide on that movie... :roll: ...i liked Surya's simple performance - seemed really natural and the movie just flows well from scene to scene... :)

the movie is heavily inspired from hollywood films!

the movie looked like a combination of many advertisements

surya is awesome :)

Sinthiya
30th December 2006, 08:41 AM
yeah...definite inspiration from hollywood films...

...Surya's performance was the highlight of the movie for me...totally took me by suprise - :thumbsup:...

Wibha
30th December 2006, 08:43 AM
wat's rong wid ANIIYAn? :huh:

it was a gud movie

great
30th December 2006, 08:45 AM

it was a gud movie

whats right with anniyan :?:

wibha, signature ulla emotiona konjam koraichukkO !!

Kannu kusuthu :cry2:

Wibha
30th December 2006, 08:49 AM

it was a gud movie

whats right with anniyan :?:

wibha, signature ulla emotiona konjam koraichukkO !!

Kannu kusuthu :cry2:

ANNIYAn was worth-a movie :evil:
it had some meaning unlike some stupid movies which r released nowadays :yes:

kanna moodikonga :D :P

thimuru
30th December 2006, 08:53 AM
anniyan is a overall comedy... :lol:

its of tamil film standard!... wibha see the title

Wibha
30th December 2006, 08:56 AM

its of tamil film standard!... wibha see the title

it may have been a comedy to u i guess...........
i don't no about tat.........

but personally it was taken well.and da anniyan character was good.....dat's da main thing.........

thimuru
30th December 2006, 09:01 AM

its of tamil film standard!... wibha see the title :roll: it may have been a comedy to u i guess...........
i don't no about tat.........

but personally it was taken well.and da anniyan character was good.....dat's da main thing.........

ok..if u feel ...thats ok!

u can just list whats great abt the movie :roll:

i thought its simlar to sivakasi or thirupachi....paavam perarasu dint have huge money,harris,ravivarman,sujatha and vikram

Wibha
30th December 2006, 09:03 AM
sivakasi and tirupachi wid anniyan :banghead:

anniyan IS much better

great
30th December 2006, 09:08 AM
sivakasi and tirupachi wid anniyan :banghead:

anniyan wud've been much better

:yes: If the movie was planned well or the script was written properly . The movie would have been better. But the movie was not etched out well :cry: , its one of the worst movie of Shankar

kamalsurya
30th December 2006, 10:57 AM
My flims would be:

Mouna Ragam
Kannathil Muthamital
Hey Raam
Nayagan(This flim is alr internationa standard as it was chose by times magzine as the top 100 movie of the last decade i think)
Kaakha Kaakha(For it's slick and style which was 1st of it's kind in tamil cinema)
Karnan
Iruvar

How about Alaipauthey guys?Can it be said an internationa standard movie.

Nerd
30th December 2006, 10:25 PM
Nayagan(This flim is alr internationa standard as it was chose by times magzine as the top 100 movie of the last decade i think)

Thats because the director was MR and he is one of the most popular directors from India. Times may not know about BR and I am pretty damn sure that they wudnt hav seen adoor/mahendran movies 8-)

thimuru
30th December 2006, 10:46 PM

Thats because the director was MR and he is one of the most popular directors from India. Times may not know about BR and I am pretty damn sure that they wudnt hav seen adoor/mahendran movies 8-)

i think most of their movies are box office successes...some quality and entertaining movies!

not completely pure cinema like adoor movies!...

girishk14
31st December 2006, 03:44 PM
Ghajini :roll:

bulb_mani
31st December 2006, 03:52 PM

It is copy of international film :noteeth:

great
31st December 2006, 03:55 PM

its a poor copy of Memento !!!

girishk14
31st December 2006, 03:57 PM
that ghajini was a joke..........but i would honestly nominate Raam for this section.............

girishk14
5th January 2007, 09:11 AM
Raam is surely an international quality film...

jaaze
17th February 2009, 10:09 AM
Naan Kadavul
Veyil

Raikkonen
17th February 2009, 10:14 AM
katrathu tamil

groucho070
17th February 2009, 11:12 AM
katrathu tamil

I would say you are almost right. There is something that makes it less than perfect film. It was trying to reach something, but couldn't get it. I can't place my finger where.

jaaze
17th February 2009, 11:19 AM
katrathu tamil

I would say you are almost right. There is something that makes it less than perfect film. It was trying to reach something, but couldn't get it. I can't place my finger where.

I share the same feeling towards the film.

NOV
17th February 2009, 11:21 AM
me too.
had mentioned it in my review a couple of years ago.

problem is the film tries hard to be a class film, and that shows.

its as if it was made with awards as the objective.

Raikkonen
17th February 2009, 11:24 AM
i really loved the movie. i've always been a fan of psycho, mentally retarded killer kind of movies.

but i agree the movie didn't appeal for some. 2nd half was a bit of overkill (pardon the pun), but the movie was really good in portraying a disturbed tamil lover.

groucho070
17th February 2009, 11:29 AM
but i agree the movie didn't appeal for some.

Oh no, it did. It did very well for me. For one, Jeeva's performances keeps you at the edge of the seat. But something is missing to make it an International status film. Avalavuthaan. Mathapadi, its a fine piece of cinema.

jaaze
17th February 2009, 11:32 AM
Just curious, does anyone feel that Aalavandhan is anywhere in the same calibre?

I felt it was a honest attempt by Kamal and deserves some mention here..

P_R
17th February 2009, 11:35 AM
None

With the possibel exception of Hey ! Ram, nothing else will make the cut.

<start meesic>

Western sensibility vs. We are like this wonly

groucho070
17th February 2009, 11:35 AM
Just curious, does anyone feel that Aalavandhan is anywhere in the same calibre?

I felt it was a honest attempt by Kamal and deserves some mention here..

Could've. Only thing going for the film is Kamal himself. There are weaknesses, technically and the casting. My main grouse is the casting.

NOV
17th February 2009, 11:41 AM
Of course, just becos its a class wannabe, it does not make the movie bad. I too liked KT but felt that something was just not right.

NOV
17th February 2009, 11:44 AM
I love aalavandhan. only grouse is the over usage of graphics.

true its a cliche story, but the screenplay and direction were picture perfect.

PR's Hey Ram also had something missing ... :confused2:

P_R
17th February 2009, 11:49 AM
adhunaala dhaan "possible exception"

Which translates to:

If anyone's answer is "none" I am okay with it
But if someone's list contains some other movie and not Hey Ram, then I would like to know what that is <cynical laugh>

groucho070
17th February 2009, 11:53 AM
adhunaala dhaan "possible exception"

Which translates to:

If anyone's answer is "none" I am okay with it
But if someone's list contains some other movie and not Hey Ram, then I would like to know what that is <cynical laugh>

I think I have not listed anything...because I like the "we are like this wonly" argument.

Hong Kongla paranthu paranthu sanda podura padam-kooda international quality-nu sollurangga. So, that itself needs definition. What is international quality? (Strangely, I am reminded of Vivek's cry selling "udumbu mark" Jaddi, don't know why).

NOV
17th February 2009, 12:01 PM
yeah, I am content with what TF has to offer. as long as it appeals to my intellect, dont give a damn abt international standards. :D

P_R
17th February 2009, 12:05 PM
adhukku dhaanA pre-emptive-A avatar ellAm pOttirukkEn :-)
Best film in "our type" of films.

But over and above that I do carry a grouse that it has never been possible to enjoy a Tamil film without being conscious of it being a Tamil film. And I don't mean it in a cultural way etc. but in the sense "not making allowance in the standards".

Btw, you will notice, LM is conspicuously absent in this thread :-)

littlemaster1982
17th February 2009, 12:12 PM
Btw, you will notice, LM is conspicuously absent in this thread :-)

Idhu enna vambaa pochu :| I don't know much about international quality/standards :roll:

VENKIRAJA
17th February 2009, 01:16 PM
IMO, this is exactly what 'Ulaga tharam' means- Anyone from any race, (religion) or region must enjoy the movie irrespective of its race, (religion) or region. Simple. In that perspective, Veyyil, Chennai-28 and Anjathey itself are very good examples. It doesn't make any difference. It gives the same experience- a sensational feeling once the movie is over, atleast to me.

NOV
3rd July 2012, 08:04 AM
I breathe because of Tamil Cinema: Anurag Kashyap

Anurag Kashyap opines that Tamil directors are the most rooted in India...

He might have cut his teeth running down the dingy alleyways of Mumbai's mean streets, learning the nitty-gritty of filmmaking. But when it came to developing a cinematic vocabulary of his own, Anurag Kashyap had to only gaze southwards.

The celebrated filmmaker of Dev D and That Girl in Yellow Boots, hailed as a poster boy of the Indian New Wave Cinema, made absolutely no bones about how instrumental Tamil films have been in shaping his evolution as a director.

So much so that the opening credits of his forthcoming film, Gangs of Wasseypur, pays homage to the 'Madurai Triumvirate of Bala, Ameer and Sasikumar.' The amicable auteur beamed with cheer as he opened up about his fixation with Kollywood films.

"Chennai is the birthplace of a new language in cinema. The audiences here are the most evolved moviegoers to be found anywhere in India. I remember the first time I saw Bala's film Sethu, starring Vikram. I knew something had been set off in me as I watched the movie unfold. My obsession with films from this region continued with Kaadhal Kondein, Paruthiveeran and Subramaniapuram among others. No one has filmed Banaras the way it's been captured in Naan Kadavul," says Anurag, who has lived in those parts during his formative years.

He adds, "These films have formed an indelible impression on my mind and they inspired me to go back to my roots." The director's ravenous appetite for films comes forth as he confesses to watching Azhagar Samiyin Kuthirai and Kalavani without English subtitles.

Ask him about the one Tamil film that took his breath away and pat comes his answer, "No two ways about it — Aaranya Kaandam (AK). I was literally blown away by what Kumararaja did with his film. It's become such a rage in Mumbai's film circuit. Bejoy Nambiar, the director of Shaitan was inspired by the feature and we used to have marathons of viewing AK in our office. The staff would be rolling on the floors laughing at the scalpelsharp one-liners and dialogues while I'd be prodding them to tell me the meaning of the lines. I even have an uncut version of the film."

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/entertainment/regional/news-interviews/I-breathe-because-of-Tamil-Cinema-Anurag-Kashyap/articleshow/11252536.cms?intenttarget=no

Mahen
3rd July 2012, 10:53 AM
:clap:..

littlemaster1982
3rd July 2012, 11:14 AM
I even have an uncut version of the film.

Adhai DVD-la neenga release pannaa sarithirathula unga per varum.

19thmay
3rd July 2012, 02:49 PM
I breathe because of Tamil Cinema: Anurag Kashyap
Anurag Kashyap opines that Tamil directors are the most rooted in India...
http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/entertainment/regional/news-interviews/I-breathe-because-of-Tamil-Cinema-Anurag-Kashyap/articleshow/11252536.cms?intenttarget=no

Even last week I was thinking about this, I am not sure whether other language has these much versatile directors

Balu Mahendra, Bharathiraja, Manirathnam, Balachander, Mahendran ellam vidunga

Shankar, K.S.Ravi Kumar, Vikraman, Thangar Bachan, Cheran kooda vitrunga

Bala,Balaji Sakthivel, Vetrimaran, Suseendran, Lingusamy, Gautham Menon, A.R.Murugadoss, Selvaraghavan, Vishunuvardhan, Vasanthabalan, K.V.Anand, Myskin, Amir,Thiyagarajan Kumararaja.

Idha thavira Kamalhassan, K.Bhagyaraj, T.Rajendar, S.J.Surya ellam sekkula!!

Apparam Raja, Sasikumar, Samuthirakani ellam sekkuradhuna serthukonga.

SoftSword
3rd July 2012, 02:53 PM
:clap:
kaasiyappan'ukku oru kalvettu pls...
pEchoda nirutthikkaadheenga... anga visayam therinja naalu directora kooptukkonga... inga oru naalu peru setthukkonga.. indhiya maanagar level colloboration podunga... indian cinema edunga...

Cinemarasigan
3rd July 2012, 04:08 PM
:clap:
kaasiyappan'ukku oru kalvettu pls...

Kashyap-ku thamizhAkkam Kaasiyappan-ah :lol:

venkkiram
3rd July 2012, 04:52 PM
Pushpak.

NOV
3rd July 2012, 04:58 PM
Definitely thamizh movies are going places... both class and mass movies... we now even have a canadian caucasian promoting thamizh films through youtube for all the world to see.
this comes close after the kolaveri craze
even before that there was brand Rajni
and of course AR Rahman

:bow:

NOV
3rd July 2012, 05:56 PM
Taking Kollywood to the world

Tamil film lovers can now get their cine info from the most unlikely source – a Kollywood-crazy Canadian, who is slowly becoming the go-to guy for Tamil movie reviews on YouTube.

Calling himself the Review Raja (RR), the 24-year-old business analyst from Toronto, Canada, says he has “a passion for Tamil Cinema.” In an email interview with Express, he says the passion started when he watched Ajith’s Billa on Blu-ray disc a year ago with some friends. “After watching it, I couldn’t get enough. Unlike Hollywood movies where everything seems too perfect, I found that Tamil films spoke about everyday issues that everyone could relate to. Review Raja was started to show the world the magic of Tamil Cinema,” says RR, sticking to his pseudonym.

RR had over 64,250 views and 1428 subscribers to his YouTube channel in a span of 10 days. His first video, a review of the Billa 2 teaser, has been viewed 34,215 times since it was uploaded on June 19. His review of Saguni, uploaded four days after that, has met with similar success. A third video on the upcoming Kamal Haasan-starrer Vishwaroopam, was uploaded on Saturday, and had close to 2,000 views within 24 hours. Add to that 1,090 likes to his Facebook page and 381 followers on Twitter.

RR’s videos are both entertaining and informative, giving the movie-goer an idea of what to expect without letting too much of the story away. He is also quite perceptive of the storyline although he relies on subtitles, which he says are used to improve his Tamil.

His other videos include tips for men on how not to dance while trying to impress a girl; be confident and be yourself, says RR.

While a majority of the viewers were surprised to see a foreigner talking about Tamil cinema, many expressed admiration and support. Was he expecting such a response? “I am absolutely blown away with the positive response I have received,” he says. Women, in particular, said that they found him attractive and so watched the videos a few times over. “I’m no Suriya, but I am flattered by the comments from my female fans,” RR said.

Speaking of his most favourite aspects of Tamil cinema, RR says the theatre experience tops it, as Kollywood fans are “much more expressive and responsive throughout the film” than their Hollywood counterparts. A Rajinikanth fan, RR says, “I really believe he has a special aura about him and he is able to capture the attention of people of all ages. That’s why he is called ‘Superstar’.”

On Bollywood films RR says, “I do enjoy them but I haven’t explored them quite as much because they don’t have the same real-life feel as Tamil films.”

Review Raja can be found on YouTube at www.youtube.com/reviewraja, and also on Twitter, @MovieReviewRaja.

http://newindianexpress.com/cities/chennai/article556714.ece

Arvind Srinivasan
3rd July 2012, 06:03 PM
I had the opportunity to meet Anurag Kashyap when I attended the IIT screenwriting workshop held last month. He talked extensively about tamil films, how directors like Sasikumar, Ameer, Bala had influenced him a lot. An interesting thing that happened was that, Thyagarajan Kumararaja was also invited to give a guest lecture. He was a few minutes late and AK had already started delivering his. He, without causing any disturbance was sitting along with us and was listening to AK. AK also talked about Subramaniapuram and how Sasikumar had got his nativity right in the film. He also had a few words for his Eesan and said that he didn't like it that much as it was more like an outsider's opinion on the city.It was actually a wonderful opportunity for me as I got to meet a large number of people from the industry be it AK, TK, Atul Tiwari and also got to learn a lot....

KV
3rd July 2012, 06:18 PM
I had the opportunity to meet Anurag Kashsyap when I attended the IIT screenwriting workshop held last month. He talked extensively about tamil films, how directors like Sasikumar, Ameer, Bala had influenced him a lot. An interesting thing that happened was that, Thyagarajan Kumararaja was also invited to give a guest lecture. He was a few minutes late and AK had already started delivering his. He, without causing any disturbance was sitting along with us and was listening to AK. AK also talked about Subramaniapuram and how Sasikumar had got his nativity right in the film. He also had a few words for his Eesan and said that he didn't like it that much as it was more like an outsider's opinion on the city.It was actually a wonderful opportunity for me as I got to meet a large number of people from the industry be it AK, TK, Atul Tiwari and also got to learn a lot....

:thumbsup: workshop paththi innum konjam vivaramaa ezhudhunga boss.
(I've also been wanting to know about the workshop Kamal had done some years back, but can't find anything about it online. Not even a single soul who'd attended it has shared his/her experience in the workshop online?! :huh:)

Arvind Srinivasan
3rd July 2012, 06:27 PM
^ The reason you cant find many discussing much about the workshop is that IIT made us sign a document prior to the start of the workshop to not disclose the details of it outside. This was just to avoid controversy if a person comments particularly against a celebrity or so. Actually TK did make a comment on these lines.

joe
3rd July 2012, 07:29 PM
Idha thavira Kamalhassan, K.Bhagyaraj, T.Rajendar, S.J.Surya ellam sekkula!!
இந்த குரூப்-ல நீங்க கமல்ஹாசனை சேர்க்காம இருந்திருக்கலாம் :lol:

P_R
3rd July 2012, 07:52 PM
^ The reason you cant find many discussing much about the workshop is that IIT made us sign a document prior to the start of the workshop to not disclose the details of it outside. This was just to avoid controversy if a person comments particularly against a celebrity or so. Actually TK did make a comment on these lines.

kaiyezhuththu pOttavaru gammunu irukkaNum.
TK ennamO sonnArunu solli, summA irukkuRa engaLai sorinji vittA eppadi.
Kisu kisu thread-la vaaramalar language-la pOdunga. :lol2:

Arvind Srinivasan
3rd July 2012, 07:58 PM
^ Athu seri....:lol:

joe
3rd July 2012, 08:16 PM
There is no doubt that Tamil Cinema improved substantially ..It is evident from the increasing Tamil cinema influence on cinema industries in neighbouring states .

tamizharasan
3rd July 2012, 09:12 PM

like kamal's dialogue in thevar magan. Kamal eduththa muyaRchchi ellAm sAkkada thaNNiya poguthu.
kamal patta kashtam ellAm ivangalOda sekkurathukku thAna.

Movie Cop
3rd July 2012, 10:01 PM
If KashyapaR is breathing because of Tamil cinema then he is sort of indirectly breathing because of HaasaR (if you know what I mean)

KlamRoyA
3rd July 2012, 10:04 PM
If KashyapaR is breathing because of Tamil cinema then he is sort of indirectly breathing because of HaasaR (if you know what I mean)

Haasar only ? :???:

selvakumar
3rd July 2012, 10:17 PM
Taking Kollywood to the world

Calling himself the Review Raja (RR), the 24-year-old business analyst from Toronto, Canada, says he has “a passion for Tamil Cinema.” In an email interview with Express, he says the passion started when he watched Ajith’s Billa on Blu-ray disc a year ago with some friends. “After watching it, I couldn’t get enough. Unlike Hollywood movies where everything seems too perfect, I found that Tamil films spoke about everyday issues that everyone could relate to. Review Raja was started to show the world the magic of Tamil Cinema,” says RR, sticking to his pseudonym.
http://newindianexpress.com/cities/chennai/article556714.ece

இது நம்ம ஆளு.... :redjump:

Movie Cop
3rd July 2012, 10:21 PM
Haasar only ? :???:
Vedhai pottavar HaasaR-nga (borrowing from Thevar Magan). Aana adha avar perumai-yA nenaikala, kadamai-yA nenaikuraar. :)

NOV
5th July 2012, 07:47 PM
Thiagarajan Kumararaja’s Aaranya Kaandam has added another feather to its cap. The film, a gangster flick, has won the audience award at the London Indian Film Festival.

Commenting on the honour, the film’s producer S. P. Charan said, “I feel humbled and delighted at the honour though I wish the film had done well in theatres here and that audiences here had liked it as much as those in the U.S. and the U.K.”

The film, which was cleared for release by the Censor Board only after almost 62 cuts were effected, is likely to participate in two other international festivals.

Says Charan: “Aaranya Kaandam will feature in the Copenhagen Film Festival and the East End Film Festival in London.” He also says they are open to the idea of remaking it in another language. “If we choose to remake it, it will be in Hindi.”

http://www.thehindu.com/life-and-style/metroplus/article3605723.ece

19thmay
5th July 2012, 08:03 PM

Hero-va nadichavanga-nu onna club panninen. I agree it looks bit weird :lol:

Cinemarasigan
6th July 2012, 06:37 PM
Thiagarajan Kumararaja’s Aaranya Kaandam has added another feather to its cap. The film, a gangster flick, has won the audience award at the London Indian Film Festival.

Commenting on the honour, the film’s producer S. P. Charan said, “I feel humbled and delighted at the honour though I wish the film had done well in theatres here and that audiences here had liked it as much as those in the U.S. and the U.K.”

The film, which was cleared for release by the Censor Board only after almost 62 cuts were effected, is likely to participate in two other international festivals.

Says Charan: “Aaranya Kaandam will feature in the Copenhagen Film Festival and the East End Film Festival in London.” He also says they are open to the idea of remaking it in another language. “If we choose to remake it, it will be in Hindi.”

http://www.thehindu.com/life-and-style/metroplus/article3605723.ece

Nice to know.. indha padatthukku DVD release paNNina vAnganum...