A.ANAND
4th June 2007, 06:28 AM
my favorite is, vennilave vennilave.

Ramakrishna
4th June 2007, 03:21 PM
My fav is Strawberry Kanne

littlemaster1982
4th June 2007, 03:45 PM
Listen to the second interlude in Strawberry Kanne :musicsmile: Pure magic. ARR :notworthy: :notworthy:

dinesh2002
4th June 2007, 04:02 PM
Poo Pookum Oosai was amazing !!!! esp Sujatha's excellent renderation .... her hight pitch of "Sa Re Ga Ma Pa Tha Ni Sa Ri................... " :clap: Music patthi solleve thevei illai... ;) ... eventhough it was from the Disney's loop thingy... very brilliantly arranged by ARR !!! catchy & special!!! :)

rayan36
4th June 2007, 05:58 PM
1. Thanga Thamarai
2. Strawberry Penne
3. Vennilave Vennilave
4. Uuu La la
5. Poo Poo Pookum Osai
6. Anbendra Mazhai

prasana84
11th July 2007, 11:50 PM
1. Thanga Thamarai
2. Strawberry Penne
3. Vennilave Vennilave
4. Uuu La la
5. Poo Poo Pookum Osai
6. Anbendra Mazhai
in 1 interview after the release of minsara kanavu a.r.rahman said vennilavae vennilavae was his fav no. bt mine is strawberry kannae

littlemaster1982
13th July 2007, 01:12 PM
RK,

Lets discuss abt Rhythm for this week :)

dinesh2002
13th July 2007, 04:12 PM
i love the track by Sadhana Sargam... very different arrangements & what a voice !!!

selvakumar
13th July 2007, 06:41 PM
Vairamuthu :notworthy: :notworthy:

Nadiyae Nadiyae kaadhal nadiyae neeyum pen thaanae ! :clap:

rashid2raj
13th July 2007, 06:47 PM
Actually, i liked the hindi version of thaniye thananthaniye much more than the tamil. The beats used in the hindi version is lifting the song.. what you guys think? Makes me think of A.R.Rahman LIVE in Wembley, were Daler Mehndi just did an amazing job singin Nachley 8-)

Ramakrishna
13th July 2007, 08:33 PM
Actually, i liked the hindi version of thaniye thananthaniye much more than the tamil. The beats used in the hindi version is lifting the song.. what you guys think? Makes me think of A.R.Rahman LIVE in Wembley, were Daler Mehndi just did an amazing job singin Nachley 8-)

yea, even i have the same opinion. It sounded better in hindi

prasana84
13th July 2007, 08:54 PM
wooow excellent album rythm
all songs n backgroung score wil be nice

thilak4life
13th July 2007, 10:31 PM

Selva, I don't really know whether people got offended by Vairamuthu's words :lol:. But this song, I fell in love with it (and you will, if you like women) 8-)

ARR - :notworthy: . Actually, the whole album is a favorite :clap:

thilak4life
13th July 2007, 10:45 PM
Another reason why I find Rahman's interludes interesting/great. In Haiyo pathikichu (or even in Athiradi recently) has that good follow-through 'interludes' at about the same time, at around 90-100 seconds, nicely sets up the next set of male-female rendition:) Be it slow or fast - the songs has that spark and sounds great. :D

Wibha
14th July 2007, 02:25 AM
rhythm :musicsmile: anbea idhu nijam dhaana.......... :wow: sadhana's voice :notworthy:

Dheem thanana :clap: the sound of the water as background is so awesome........lyrics.......................
breathtaking................

kaatrea :roll: nice song.
thaniyea :x
aiyo pathikichu :2thumbsup:

littlemaster1982
14th July 2007, 09:26 AM
Great album from Rahman. Another album where I couldn't single out one song as a favorite.

A good concept - Five songs based on five elements of nature and an extraordinary effort :clap:

Even if you dont know the meaning of the lyrics, you can easily identify which element is associated with each song. That's ARR for you :thumbsup:

great
14th July 2007, 09:03 PM
Great pick by director Vasanth :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: all the songs are simply superb and picturisation of Kaatrey En vaasal and Nathiyae song :notworthy: :bow:

dinesh2002
14th July 2007, 09:10 PM
Great album from Rahman. Another album where I couldn't single out one song as a favorite.

A good concept - Five songs based on five elements of nature and an extraordinary effort :clap:

Even if you dont know the meaning of the lyrics, you can easily identify which element is associated with each song. That's ARR for you :thumbsup:

yup... this reminds me of something i saw on tv long time back, it was Saptha Swarangal [or some singging competition show], and the judge was L.R Easwari, so this contestant was singging En Swase Katre's Chinna Chinna Mazhaithuligal, and that lady had to tease the song saying " they only say its a rain song, but it doesnt sounds like it, we only can know it tru the lyrics "..... :roll: im sure she ate her words after listenin to Rahman's Rhythm album which his music tottaly explained the elements perfectly!! :thumbsup:

thineshan54321
14th July 2007, 09:30 PM

yup... this reminds me of something i saw on tv long time back, it was Saptha Swarangal [or some singging competition show], and the judge was L.R Easwari, so this contestant was singging En Swase Katre's Chinna Chinna Mazhaithuligal, and that lady had to tease the song saying " they only say its a rain song, but it doesnt sounds like it, we only can know it tru the lyrics "..... :roll: im sure she ate her words after listenin to Rahman's Rhythm album which his music tottaly explained the elements perfectly!! :thumbsup:

some people are like that dinesh, they cant stand it when ppl appreciate things. they have to do something to bring it down but end up bringing themselves down. :lol:

prasana84
15th July 2007, 12:00 AM

some people are like that dinesh, they cant stand it when ppl appreciate things. they have to do something to bring it down but end up bringing themselves down. :lol:
Apadiya sonnanga ellam generation gap panra vella anyway tat song was a awesome song

littlemaster1982
15th July 2007, 06:04 PM
Nadhiye (Water)

Beautiful lyrics by Vairamuthu,where he compares river with a woman.And, ARR's tune enhances the song more. Not much percussion in this song except Thavil during the starting of saranams, second interlude and towards the end of the song. But that makes you yearn for more.

If there are river flowing sounds in the beginning of the song, ARR ends the song with a girls' giggle and complements the lyrics beautifully.

Kaatrae (Air)

Wonderful melody. Flute rules the roost in this song. I've noticed that whenever Rahman uses flute in his songs, the result is top-notch. This song is no exception. Note when Unnikrishnan pauses after "Methuvaaga kathavu" flute goes in a low note instead of the word "thiranthaai".

As usual female harmony rocks in this song too.

Thaniye (Earth)

If it's flute in Kaatre and Thavil in Nathiye, it's strings in Thaniyae. Though the song is not a slow number, it evocates the longing-ness of a lover in a brilliant manner.

En Vaanil (Sky)

This song is a music lovers' delight. The violin arrangements, percussion, occasional tabla beats...everything oozes class.

At 3:03, the beats stop, wait for few seconds when Sadhana sings "vizhiyum vizhum kalantha pothu paarvai ondru aanathey" and continues from where it left. Whoaa...This is stuff of a legend.

I don't know whether I'll go to heaven after life. But I have already experienced how it will be.

:notworthy: Thank You, ARR :notworthy:

thineshan54321
15th July 2007, 07:56 PM
Nadhiye (Water)

Beautiful lyrics by Vairamuthu,where he compares river with a woman.And, ARR's tune enhances the song more. Not much percussion in this song except Thavil during the starting of saranams, second interlude and towards the end of the song. But that makes you yearn for more.

If there are river flowing sounds in the beginning of the song, ARR ends the song with a girls' giggle and complements the lyrics beautifully.

Kaatrae (Air)

Wonderful melody. Flute rules the roost in this song. I've noticed that whenever Rahman uses flute in his songs, the result is top-notch. This song is no exception. Note when Unnikrishnan pauses after "Methuvaaga kathavu" flute goes in a low note instead of the word "thiranthaai".

As usual female harmony rocks in this song too.

Thaniye (Earth)

If it's flute in Kaatre and Thavil in Nathiye, it's strings in Thaniyae. Though the song is not a slow number, it evocates the longing-ness of a lover in a brilliant manner.

En Vaanil (Sky)

This song is a music lovers' delight. The violin arrangements, percussion, occasional tabla beats...everything oozes class.

At 3:03, the beats stop, wait for few seconds when Sadhana sings "vizhiyum vizhum kalantha pothu paarvai ondru aanathey" and continues from where it left. Whoaa...This is stuff of a legend.

I don't know whether I'll go to heaven after life. But I have already experienced how it will be.

:notworthy: Thank You, ARR :notworthy:

nice review, but where is fire?

littlemaster1982
15th July 2007, 10:09 PM
Thanks Thineshan. It's long time since I heard that song. So I couldnt write anything about that song. Let me finish it soon :)

Wibha
15th July 2007, 11:46 PM

:exactly: wen i heard the lyrics for the first time i got tears.........it was so awesome :cool: plus the singer and the music added to the lyrics

LM anna :thumbsup: EN VAANIL :clap: :clap:

Sanguine Sridhar
21st December 2007, 10:04 AM
What happened to this thread?

Ram :evil:

Ramakrishna
21st December 2007, 12:09 PM
What neshtu :lol2:

Wibha
21st December 2007, 01:28 PM
ram y dont you put the name of all albums that we've discussed about so we can know what's left :?

how about thenali :?

Ramakrishna
21st December 2007, 01:43 PM
Thenali hasn't been discussed. So we will restart this thread with Thenali.

MADDY
21st December 2007, 03:17 PM
i have fond memories of Thenali bcos of KSR's top class press conference in audio release function :rotfl: :rotfl:

trust me, after that incident it was confirmed that KSR is a normal ARR fan like us :thumbsup:

Ramakrishna
21st December 2007, 04:19 PM
i have fond memories of Thenali bcos of KSR's top class press conference in audio release function :rotfl: :rotfl:

trust me, after that incident it was confirmed that KSR is a normal ARR fan like us :thumbsup:

What did he say :roll:

Nerd
22nd December 2007, 01:24 AM
I used to listen to athini sathini padmini song non-stop when the album came out. It is such a haunting song and I absolutely loved the picturization as well. pOrkkaLam and swaasamE are the other songs that I listen to from this album frequently. Dont like the other songs though.. Indian is the best KH-ARR album :P

rajeshkrv
22nd December 2007, 01:42 AM
porkalam ange poovil kayam inge(Srinivas, Gopika poornima Lyrics by Piraisoodan) is the pick of the album
other songs are not upto the mark..

Thenali was the only album of ARR which was not mesmerizing even after listening 100 times

Sanguine Sridhar
22nd December 2007, 11:59 AM
Albums so far discussed

1.May Madham
2.Thiruda Thiruda
3.Duet
4.Alaipayudhey
5.Rangeela
6.Kaadhalan
7.Karuthamma
8.Muthu
9.Gentleman
10.Kadhal Desam
11.Indira
12.Kangalal Kaidhu Sei
13.Minsara Kanavu
14.Rhythm

Sanguine Sridhar
22nd December 2007, 12:05 PM
15. Thenali

Porkalam Enge and Athini are my favourite.

InjirungO - was good too

What is the intro song for Kamal?

thineshan54321
22nd December 2007, 10:00 PM
15. Thenali

InjirungO - was good too

Thenali imo is the most entertaining album that ARR did. it was just like watching the movie.

Ramakrishna
22nd December 2007, 10:13 PM
15. Thenali

InjirungO - was good too

Thenali imo is the most entertaining album that ARR did. it was just like watching the movie.

:exactly: Especially the intro song

Wibha
23rd December 2007, 12:32 AM
:lol: yes thenali ku ellam bayam dhaan :D :thumsup:

i loveeeeeeeeeeee alangati mazhai :D

swasamea is my least fav as its' way tooo melodious :roll:

athini is justttttttttt great.........hariharan has sung it sooooooooo wellllll..................

porkalam :musicsmile: and the picturisation :thumbsup: jayaram ready to eat kamal :rotfl:

injiringo is an okay song :roll:

littlemaster1982
23rd December 2007, 05:26 PM
Porkkalam is my favorite. Flute interlude is :cool2:

Wonderful melody from Thalaivar :notworthy:

sakaLAKALAKAlaa Vallavar
23rd December 2007, 07:26 PM
tenaali - an album which felt like did in the 1st hearing became most favourite of that time! Now, athini and intro songs stands out. rest faded out.

porkalam was pretty ordinary even on 1st time

haiyodaa - was nice that time, now faded. picturisation was interesting and funny though

injaringo - sounds like a kutho song now, but the trumpet piece was refreshingly new.

swaasame - IR saayal is lightly there, but still nice song even now.

athini - Wow what a song, esp where hariharan goes hipitch, something which was too new at that time...still stands now..

intro song - superb, peculiar song, lyrics too was nice, watching the song on screen was great fun :lol:

Kamal + ARR, Indian is always top, but other ARR albums easily outdates Indian and Tenaali. Hope marmayogi leaves a permanent effect!

jangofett
23rd December 2007, 10:12 PM
I remember Thenali for a few reasons:
1. The movie was the 3rd time that KSR and ARR worked together after Muthu in 1995 and Padaiyappa in 1999.

2. The movie was the 2nd time that KH and ARR worked together after Indian in 1996.

3. The movie was released during Deepavali 2000.

4. The movie had 6 tracks and the lyrics were written by 6 people for each track.

5. Vairamuthu did not contribute any lyrics and neither did Vaali. This was after the "break-up" between Vairamuthu and ARR after the KK audio release function. For me, the combo between them was never the same after this incident.

thineshan54321
24th December 2007, 06:59 AM
I remember Thenali for a few reasons:
1. The movie was the 3rd time that KSR and ARR worked together after Muthu in 1995 and Padaiyappa in 1999.

2. The movie was the 2nd time that KH and ARR worked together after Indian in 1996.

3. The movie was released during Deepavali 2000.

4. The movie had 6 tracks and the lyrics were written by 6 people for each track.

5. Vairamuthu did not contribute any lyrics and neither did Vaali. This was after the "break-up" between Vairamuthu and ARR after the KK audio release function. For me, the combo between them was never the same after this incident.

explain?? i am still ignorant of this break up, i heard rumors, not sure exactly what happened.

littlemaster1982
24th December 2007, 08:40 AM
In Kandukondean audio release function, Vairamathu requested Rahman to tone down the background score and highlight the voice portions so that the words in the songs are heard better as there are lot of people who likes the songs for his lyrics.

It is said that ARR didn't like this and wanted to work with new faces from thereafter instead of VM.

thineshan54321
24th December 2007, 08:29 PM
In Kandukondean audio release function, Vairamathu requested Rahman to tone down the background score and highlight the voice portions so that the words in the songs are heard better as there are lot of people who likes the songs for his lyrics.

It is said that ARR didn't like this and wanted to work with new faces from thereafter instead of VM.

but if u guys noticed, ARR did satisfy VM in KM with vellai pookal, oru deivam etc, afterall he got the national award for lyrics. and even in vaaji vaaji, he made sure the lyrics r heard better.

thineshan54321
24th December 2007, 08:44 PM
[tscii:d1feb461ea]check this out:

Click here to see who is better in multiple roles…
Kolltwood Families
Lady Directors

“Tresses don’t make a Rahman”
By Behindwoods News Bureau.
December 24, 2007
Isai Kaatru was the name of the album composed by Mohammed Rizwan and produced by Amish Kumar. The music album has lyrics by Vairamuthu and Pon.Murugesan who released the album with much fanfare at a gala event yesterday. While addressing the gathering at the function Vairamuthu was all praise for the composer for coming up with
Isai Kaatru
some melodious numbers that have maintained the purity of the lyrics.

He later made a request to filmmakers, which he corrected with a note of caution that music launches should hitherto be called Songs launch which alone would be appropriate as it is only songs that are being launched at audio release functions and the lyricists would only then feel duly honored alongside the composers. He even had a word of advice for upcoming music composers who sport long tresses that it is not tresses that make a person a great composer like Rahman but one’s compositions. He was all praise for the lyrics of Pon.Murugesan who had penned the other songs in the album and said that such music albums are going to be the future of Tamil music as they tend to retain the quality of the lyrics and they do not have to bank on visuals, as in he case of movies, to give it the necessary appeal.[/tscii:d1feb461ea]

Ramakrishna
29th December 2007, 11:29 PM
My preferences in the order
1.Porkaley - One of my all time favourites
2.Title song - Rocking song alongwith the video
3.Athini - Hated this song initially but later started liking it.
4.Aalangkatti - Liked it very much initially
5.Injiringo - Not a favourite of mine but it was a huge hit then
6.Swaasame - just an OK number for me

Yathu
30th December 2007, 04:29 AM
My fave song from this album is defo Aalangati Malai. A bit cheesy, but i still love it! It always makes me feel happy whenever I hear it! :D

Aaaah Sujatha's voice.......beauteeeeeful! :notworthy: KHs voice also gives this song a lot of character. The percussion used in this song is also really effective.

Ramakrishna
13th March 2008, 10:33 PM
:roll:

thineshan54321
13th March 2008, 10:35 PM
My fave song from this album is defo Aalangati Malai. A bit cheesy, but i still love it! It always makes me feel happy whenever I hear it! :D

Aaaah Sujatha's voice.......beauteeeeeful! :notworthy: KHs voice also gives this song a lot of character. The percussion used in this song is also really effective.

my fav happy song from ARR also. it cheers me up everytime, especially during rainy season.

Devar Magan
13th March 2008, 11:30 PM

Exactly !!! very very valid request from Vairamuthu.. 8-)

ajithfederer
14th March 2008, 12:26 AM
Thenali is a nice album 8-)

Yathu
14th March 2008, 02:57 AM

:argh: :hammer:

thineshan54321
14th March 2008, 05:33 AM

ithuku mattum vanthutaaru!!!

littlemaster1982
14th March 2008, 09:35 AM
DM :lol2:

Devar Magan
14th March 2008, 02:40 PM

ithuku mattum vanthutaaru!!!yen varakoodaathu?? :lol:

unmaya sonnaa yen ungalukku kovam varuthu??

Devar Magan
14th March 2008, 02:40 PM
Tenali is a decent album .. Worth listening once in a while..

littlemaster1982
14th March 2008, 03:06 PM
DM,

Kamal nadikkalainna Thenali album patthi unga karutthu enna ;)

Ramakrishna
14th March 2008, 06:30 PM
DM,

itha avar soli thaan therinjukkanumaa :lol2:

rayan36
14th March 2008, 07:48 PM
Porkalam & swasame is still the best song in the movie, when it came out, i repeatedly played the intro song and injirango..injirango was a rage then but now POORKALAM is the best, ppl used to say that Poorkalam was the worst song in the movie...my rankings

1. Porkalam
2. Swasame
3. Athini Sithini
4. Injirango
5. Thenali (intro)
6. Alangkadhi Mazhai

thineshan54321
14th March 2008, 07:49 PM
DM,

so that means everyother arr album is better or atleast decent? :) i mean musically AP, KK, Rhythm (2000) were all better so i guess DM is a big fan now. :lol:

Devar Magan
15th March 2008, 01:34 AM
DM,

Kamal nadikkalainna Thenali album patthi unga karutthu enna ;) athey karuthu thaan LM..

Infact, Puthiya Mugam is one of my most favourite albums ever.. athula mattum kamal nadichaaraa enna :huh:

Devar Magan
15th March 2008, 01:52 AM
DM,

so that means everyother arr album is better or atleast decent? :) i mean musically AP, KK, Rhythm (2000) were all better so i guess DM is a big fan now. :lol: I was a big ARR fan once.. bought the original cassettes of jeans, jodi, rhythm, KKKK, mudhalvan, alaipaayuthey, en swaasa kaatre, uyire, etc etc.. as soon as they got released... but, ippo i dont like those songs as much as i used to like them.. i wasnt a big kamal fan then.. :lol: :lol:

thineshan54321
15th March 2008, 02:48 AM
DM,

so that means everyother arr album is better or atleast decent? :) i mean musically AP, KK, Rhythm (2000) were all better so i guess DM is a big fan now. :lol: I was a big ARR fan once.. bought the original cassettes of jeans, jodi, rhythm, KKKK, mudhalvan, alaipaayuthey, en swaasa kaatre, uyire, etc etc.. as soon as they got released... but, ippo i dont like those songs as much as i used to like them.. i wasnt a big kamal fan then.. :lol: :lol:

:lol: i guess its one or the other eh?

thineshan54321
15th March 2008, 04:05 AM
DM,

Kamal nadikkalainna Thenali album patthi unga karutthu enna ;) athey karuthu thaan LM..

Infact, Puthiya Mugam is one of my most favourite albums ever.. athula mattum kamal nadichaaraa enna :huh:

then why the ARR bashing? :? infact, ur name (DM) has almost become synonymous to ARR-basher,anti-arr, etc, etc.

littlemaster1982
15th March 2008, 11:07 AM
DM,

OK :D

Ramakrishna
15th March 2008, 04:41 PM
DM,

ipdiyellaam sollittaa arthamey illaama ARR-a thittarthukku sowryamaa poidum illayaa :lol2:

Devar Magan
15th March 2008, 08:02 PM
DM,

ipdiyellaam sollittaa arthamey illaama ARR-a thittarthukku sowryamaa poidum illayaa :lol2: i am not the same guy anymore..

I am completely different now as compared to how i was more than 7 years ago.. :lol:

Devar Magan
15th March 2008, 08:04 PM
DM,

then why the ARR bashing? :? infact, ur name (DM) has almost become synonymous to ARR-basher,anti-arr, etc, etc. i am just constructively criticising ARR ....

ARR enna thappe pannamaataaraa enna :huh: singing seri illai , avaru songs-la.. atha sonnaa ennapaa tappu??

thineshan54321
15th March 2008, 08:11 PM
DM,

then why the ARR bashing? :? infact, ur name (DM) has almost become synonymous to ARR-basher,anti-arr, etc, etc. i am just constructively criticising ARR ....

ARR enna thappe pannamaataaraa enna :huh: singing seri illai , avaru songs-la.. atha sonnaa ennapaa tappu??

the only posts that i read from you other than the last few :? were all negatives. thats not constructive criticism, i mean who are you trying to "construct" with ur criticisms? according to me a critic is someone who throws in positives as well as negatives. when you just spit out negatives, then u r no longer a critic and no one will even pay attention to ur negatives, and ppl like us will only oppose it.

prasana84
15th March 2008, 08:19 PM
DM,

Nenga list panna ella albummum enoda fav still and 4ever. esp alaipayuthey, rhythm, en swasa katrey, kkkk had some amazing stuffs. But mudhalvan apavum seri epavum seri im not satisfied. Antha arr punch miss agura mathiri feel pannain except shakalakkababy.

prasana84
15th March 2008, 08:26 PM
Porkalam is the best song in this film, injuringo is diff and a very active song. thenali title song is amazing. swasamey is a good melody. alankatti malai was the fav song when the movie came.
but now
1. porkalam
2. thenali
3. athri - what a diff song
4. alankatti malai
5. swasamey
6. injurungo
Totally great album all the songs very well matched with the movie.

Devar Magan
15th March 2008, 11:08 PM
DM,

the only posts that i read from you other than the last few :? were all negatives. thats not constructive criticism, i mean who are you trying to "construct" with ur criticisms? according to me a critic is someone who throws in positives as well as negatives. when you just spit out negatives, then u r no longer a critic and no one will even pay attention to ur negatives, and ppl like us will only oppose it. already, there is a lot of people here to point out the positives of ARR.. so only i am bringing out the negative side of him.. Cover-up panna yaaravathu try pannaa, naan vanthu matter-a open pannuven.. :P

prasana84
16th March 2008, 12:17 AM
DM,

the only posts that i read from you other than the last few :? were all negatives. thats not constructive criticism, i mean who are you trying to "construct" with ur criticisms? according to me a critic is someone who throws in positives as well as negatives. when you just spit out negatives, then u r no longer a critic and no one will even pay attention to ur negatives, and ppl like us will only oppose it. already, there is a lot of people here to point out the positives of ARR.. so only i am bringing out the negative side of him.. Cover-up panna yaaravathu try pannaa, naan vanthu matter-a open pannuven.. :P
But you must remember there are also more negative sides with kamal and ilayaraja. 8-)

Devar Magan
16th March 2008, 12:20 AM
DM,

But you must remember there are also more negative sides with kamal and ilayaraja. 8-) please see their respective threads.. we are discussing that too..

selvakumar
17th March 2008, 09:28 AM
please see their respective threads.. we are discussing that too..
At times, kamal's -ves are discussed in ARR section too (If I am not wrong) :D

MADDY
17th March 2008, 01:03 PM
please see their respective threads.. we are discussing that too..
At times, kamal's -ves are discussed in ARR section too (If I am not wrong) :D

in the same length as Ajith fans discuss abt Bala's -ves and IR's fans discuss abt Mani's -ves in their threads........its all natural....infact i wud call ARR fans as most subdued in showing their dissent....... :D

but i still wud like to see discussions abt ARR and his music/films only here........bcos, many ppl. satisfy their long burning ARR hatred by bashing ARR under the pretext that some ARR fans spoke negatively abt kamal......

selvakumar
17th March 2008, 02:16 PM
in the same length as Ajith fans discuss abt Bala's -ves and IR's fans discuss abt Mani's -ves in their threads........its all natural....infact i wud call ARR fans as most subdued in showing their dissent....... :D
Yes Maddy. You are quite right reg the highlighted.
I disagree with the later part though :)

MADDY
17th March 2008, 04:50 PM
Yes Maddy. You are quite right reg the highlighted.
I disagree with the later part though :)

yeah, u r right........2 wrongs dont make one right :D .....bashing kamal here is unneccessary and is out of context........but if someone discusses abt kamal here, they are not neccesarily ARR fans always or they do it out of ARR fanatism........the last arguement on kamal we had here had nuthing to do with ARR fanatism........but u never seem to spare a chance to police ARR fans.......i dont think if u say the truth 100 times it doesnt bcome all the more correct

selvakumar
17th March 2008, 04:57 PM
yeah, u r right........2 wrongs dont make one right :D .....bashing kamal here is unneccessary and is out of context........but if someone discusses abt kamal here, they are not neccesarily ARR fans always or they do it out of ARR fanatism........
Yes. Maddy. Those two wrongs doesn't make this one right. Most of the time, kamal will be brought whether it is within the context (films) or out of context (anything not related to films). Again, everyone has the right to discuss on films since it will be their MD who is going to work with him.

the last arguement on kamal we had here had nuthing to do with ARR fanatism........but u never seem to spare a moment to police ARR fans.......
Yes, It has nothing to do with fanatism. Only thing is that, fanatism triggered it and remained silent. I never police people. There are many 'chosen' ones here for those jobs. I just pointed out that even kamal -ves were discussed in this section without restricting them to TF section alone

MADDY
17th March 2008, 05:06 PM
the last arguement on kamal we had here had nuthing to do with ARR fanatism........but u never seem to spare a moment to police ARR fans.......
Yes, It has nothing to do with fanatism. Only thing is that, fanatism triggered it and remained silent. I never police people. There are many 'chosen' ones here for those jobs. I just pointed out that even kamal -ves were discussed in this section without restricting them to TF section alone

if i remember correctly, the arguement started betn thilak and RS or someone - no way it was related to ARR fans.........pala mugam sulikkum sambavangal vaarthaigal koora pattullana, aanal, adhai marupadiyum, maupadiyum kilara vendaame :D .......also that doesent give license for ppl. to come here unneccessarily and talk crap here......... :D

selvakumar
17th March 2008, 06:03 PM
if i remember correctly, the arguement started betn thilak and RS or someone - no way it was related to ARR fans.........pala mugam sulikkum sambavangal vaarthaigal koora pattullana, aanal, adhai marupadiyum, maupadiyum kilara vendaame :D
:o I thought I didn't brought them once again. I just said that even kamal was not spared in this section and his -ves were also analysed. When kamal's -ves can be discussed in Arr section, then why not the same can't be done for ARR in his section. Even if it a crap comment, Arr fans can post against the craps just like kamal fans once did in this section. Am I right ?

.......also that doesent give license for ppl. to come here unneccessarily and talk crap here......... :D
Sure. It doesn't give license. It is just that many discuss on other areas as well

Devar Magan
17th March 2008, 06:19 PM
Maddy,

neenga thevai illaamal, "intha pasangala vambukku ilithu remba naal aache"-nu yosichu adikkira posts thaan athigam..

back to tenali-album,

Kamal's singing in tenali wasnt sounding great as it usually is.. i dunno why..

is it because of the way ARR mixes his songs :huh:

MADDY
17th March 2008, 07:09 PM
if i remember correctly, the arguement started betn thilak and RS or someone - no way it was related to ARR fans.......[b]..pala mugam sulikkum sambavangal vaarthaigal koora pattullana, aanal, adhai marupadiyum, maupadiyum kilara vendaame :D
:o I thought I didn't brought them once again. I just said that even kamal was not spared in this section and his -ves were also analysed. When kamal's -ves can be discussed in Arr section, then why not the same can't be done for ARR in his section. Even if it a crap comment, Arr fans can post against the craps just like kamal fans once did in this section. Am I right ?

again, u r endorsing the 2 wrongs=1 right analogy.......just bcos some guys talked abt kamal here doesent mean, u have to take up the charge and talk crap abt ARR here......

Sure. It doesn't give license. It is just that many discuss on other areas as well

see, u r trying to dig on that one incident again and again........keep digging :wink: :lol:

Ramakrishna
17th March 2008, 07:11 PM

:lol: Karthik, That is because of pathetic singing by kamal. U keep trying :lol2: kettukonga makkaley, ithukku paer thaan constructive criticism

MADDY
17th March 2008, 07:14 PM
Maddy,

neenga thevai illaamal, "intha pasangala vambukku ilithu remba naal aache"-nu yosichu adikkira posts thaan athigam..

DM, i very well understand how much respect u have for ARR.......i have seen ur orkut community and discussions on ARR in that..... :)

back to tenali-album,

to sing in ARR's song is easier than in IR songs.......with ARR's style of recording, u can have multiple takes - like one take for each line even............

Ramakrishna
17th March 2008, 07:22 PM
Maddy,

DM, i very well understand how much respect u have for ARR.......i have seen ur orkut community and discussions on ARR in that..... :)

:notthatway: Those are constructive criticisms as per Karthik

MADDY
17th March 2008, 07:25 PM
Maddy,

:notthatway: Those are constructive criticisms as per Karthik

chaa avarakku ARR mela dhaan evalavu akkara :cry:

Tamilan
17th March 2008, 07:37 PM
I liked "Alankatti" only on first hearings. On repeaded listenings swasame is OK type melody but others?

I would rate Tenali music is less than any kamal album composed by raja

selvakumar
17th March 2008, 07:39 PM
again, u r endorsing the 2 wrongs=1 right analogy.......just bcos some guys talked abt kamal here doesent mean, u have to take up the charge and talk crap abt ARR here......

Did I ?
Discussing on Arr in Arr section > quite right. Arr fans have every right to defend that.
Discussing on kamal in Arr section > Wrong
Discussing on Arr in kamal section > Wrong
Discussing on kamal in kamal section > Right

Now, please tell me which one is right, wrong :o

see, u r trying to dig on that one incident again and again........keep digging :wink: :lol:
I think you want to stop crap comments. That is quite right from your side. At the same time, you have posted against CRAP comments on kamal here as well. Now, everyone is not like you or me They do repeat the rights and wrongs. I wasn't referring to that 'SET'

MADDY
17th March 2008, 08:21 PM
Did I ?
Discussing on Arr in Arr section > quite right. Arr fans have every right to defend that.

selva. let me tell u one simple thing - even though we wud have kept quiet on kamal, there wud have been ARR bashing.....

also, criticisms on ARR are like mudiya virichittu aadaraaru, paaduraaaru, thamizh drohi, IR madhiri music poda theriyaadhu - enna idhellam??? these are also wrong :wink:

Ramakrishna
17th March 2008, 08:23 PM
Did I ?

selva. let me tell u one simple thing - even though we wud have kept quiet on kamal, there wud have been ARR bashing.....

also, criticisms on ARR are like mudiya virichittu aadaraaru, paaduraaaru, thamizh drohi, IR madhiri music poda theriyaadhu - enna idhellam??? these are also wrong :wink:

One more.kamal seriyaa paadaathathukku ARR thaan kaaranam etc :lol2:

prasana84
17th March 2008, 08:26 PM
I liked "Alankatti" only on first hearings. On repeaded listenings swasame is OK type melody but others?

:lol: i lov all the songs in this movie esp title song dono how u posted this comment.

thineshan54321
18th March 2008, 01:50 AM
Did I ?

One more.kamal seriyaa paadaathathukku ARR thaan kaaranam etc :lol2:

:lol: DM is this what u mean by constructive criticism? no singer sounds better in ANY OTHER MD's recording than in ARRs. so if kamal sounds bad in thenali, imagine how much worse he would sound in other MDs. so now be glad that it was this good :lol:

as per me, i thot kamal's singing/ arrs recording was just right for the mood of the song. :)

Tamilan
18th March 2008, 11:16 AM

:lol: i lov all the songs in this movie esp title song dono how u posted this comment.

It doesn't matter whether you love or not. Thats my opinion

SoftSword
18th March 2008, 01:38 PM
I guess thenali had two songs sung by kamal...

Ramakrishna
18th March 2008, 04:44 PM
yes, injiringo and alangkatti

SoftSword
18th March 2008, 05:33 PM
i have never heard kamals voice so great than in aalangatti song...
"kulamkaattum vennilavaai... azhagaana nam kudumbam, kallonru erivadhaal kalangalaama..."

also in injerungo...
"senjadhellaam ninaikkakka sirikka thonudhu.."

in these places kamals voice sound really greater than his any other numbers...

but someone complains here that kamals voice sound bad in arrs mix...

Ramakrishna
18th March 2008, 07:52 PM

avarukku Kamal-a koraichi paesinaalum paravaalla aana ARR-a mattam thattiye aaganum-ngra veri, athukku thaan puthusu puthusaa vazhi thedraaru :lol2:

Ramakrishna
18th March 2008, 08:41 PM
What about Swades next?

Devar Magan
18th March 2008, 09:16 PM
ennoda ella posts-kkum inge nallaa response kidaikkuthey :lol:

Ramakrishna
18th March 2008, 09:43 PM

pinna, neenga constructive criticiser aache :lol2:

Ramakrishna
18th March 2008, 09:48 PM
Swades :notworthy:

always
19th March 2008, 12:05 AM
Swades is :notworthy:

the songs have a nostalgic effect on the listener.

thineshan54321
19th March 2008, 01:56 AM
one word: soul-stirring. i would like to pinpoint one particular thing: the interludes in kaaveriya/saaveriya is just amazing. i feel like flying when i hear those.

dinesh2002
19th March 2008, 08:41 AM
---

A.ANAND
19th March 2008, 10:18 AM

avarukku Kamal-a koraichi paesinaalum paravaalla aana ARR-a mattam thattiye aaganum-ngra veri, athukku thaan puthusu puthusaa vazhi thedraaru :lol2:
:lol: ramakrishna sir,intha hub-la neenga than romba soft innu nenechen,devar magan unngallayum 'aruva' thukka vechuduvaru pola! :lol: :lol: :lol:

A.ANAND
19th March 2008, 10:21 AM
athan unngala'thuppu thuppu innu thupparanngale'antha responce-sa sollarinngala??? :lol:

SoftSword
19th March 2008, 12:35 PM

yaar enna sonnaalum response kedaikkum inga... :)
so keep posting DM

Devar Magan
19th March 2008, 12:39 PM

so keep posting DM coming to swades,

I feel that its a good album from ARR..

I like the BGM in that hydro power plant scene..

crajkumar_be
19th March 2008, 12:54 PM
My picks from the album are
Yun Hi Chala
Dekho Na
Pal Pal
Yeh Jo Des Hai Tera
8-)

Yes, it had a very good BG score...

Ramakrishna
19th March 2008, 06:42 PM

neenga Hindi padam ellaam paappeenglaa :o

MADDY
21st March 2008, 03:31 AM
Swades is one film which is very close to my heart...........its on my collection of movies............swades came in the background of a blockbuster/national award winning album of AG-ARR i.e Lagaan.....like always , ARR outshined the previous album........swades will easily walk into top5 album list of any ARR fan..............for me, it shares top honours with Boys, RDB, Dil se, KKS etc.........

songs in order of my preference:

1.Yeh jo des hai tera - heart wrenching...........usage of dying shenai was the punch line......the rustic flavor added to this song.......ARR's voice carried the pain of that MohanBhargav character in the movie - absolutely heavenly work....

2. Saawariya - delightful........authentic hindi lyrics - najariya, dagariya - JA=ARR combo is just like VM-ARR combo here.....their coming together is always exciting........and the songs' grand second interlude is so pleasing to hear.......

3. yuhin chala - the perfect fusion of Indian classical music/pop music and a touch of rock..........try it on long drives, this song is a treat.....

4. Dekho na - though remixed from baba, the tranquility this song carries is amazing.......the tune is so delightful and way it travels up/down in rythm scales is a delight to listen.....

5. yeh tara - this was the biggest hit of the album........ARR's passion for hindustani raagas show up here.........this song too carries a rustic indian feel.......

6. Pal Pal hai baari - the usual bhajan in AG-ARR combo........can you believe this song was composed/recorded in 2 days.........the ARR twist in the bhajan (hariharan entry) is great........

Swades is an album which will always stay close to heart......

ajaybaskar
30th March 2008, 11:42 AM
Nothing for me to comment on this particular album. Though, I wanna add one thing...

I'l happyly send this audio to some MDs in TN. Not to mention their names though....Avanga vayasukku mariyadhai :wink:

ajithfederer
30th March 2008, 09:18 PM
:lol: :lol:

neenga Hindi padam ellaam paappeenglaa :o

crajkumar_be
30th March 2008, 09:33 PM
Nothing for me to comment on this particular album. Though, I wanna add one thing...

I'l happyly send this audio to some MDs in TN. Not to mention their names though....Avanga vayasukku mariyadhai :wink:
? :confused2:

Music4Ever
30th March 2008, 09:50 PM
Maddy said: swades will easily walk into top5 album list of any ARR fan

I checked the Top 10 ARR thread and Swades did not figure in the top ten (leave alone top five) of Littlemaster1982, A.Anand, K_vanan, and Scale. If I am not incorrect, these are some of the hard-core Rahman fans. Perhaps they forgot Swades, which somewhat lessens the album's allure, for "best" albums do not fade away from memory of even ordinary fans (leave alone hard-core ones).

For me, although Swades was a good album it did not have the freshness of Lagaan. Yuhin Chala, had it come in Lagaan would have been better received, IMO. It seems AG did not want it in Lagaan and ARR replaced it with that terrific Chale Chalo song. What a number, that! Fantastic beats in the class of the Mustafa number. Again, IMO. Also, (pardon me for this!) for me Yeh hai des mera reminded an old MSV-TKR number (vandha naal mudhal indha naal varai vaanam maaravillai), which to me indicated lack of freshness re Swades. Furthermore, as we all know Dekho na was just a polished version of Baba Kichu tha, but it did not have the "twinkling" vibrancy of Baba Kichu tha, IMO. Yeh tara was a good number but (again apologies, since you seem to be a Shahrukh fan) the film's protagonist, with his predictable acting, spoiled it somewhat, IMO. Above all, Swades was so hyped that when the album came out, it couldn't match the hype.

vijayr
30th March 2008, 10:34 PM
I dont think Swades was hyped as much as Lagaan. Plus what does SRK's bad acting got to do with the song? Music4ever you are giving all the wrong reasons for not liking the songs. yeh jo des hai is nowhere close to Vandha naaL mudhal. And you cite that as reason for lack of freshness! SEL have gone on record liking the shenai usage in that song. Swades is not a great or a pathbreaking album but a pretty darn good one. In Lagaan I really liked the theme. The other songs though peppy and energetic, were good to hear a few times at the time of release, but certainly not classics that I will be revisiting. There is not a single strong melody in that album. But since the movie was a big hit its songs have been overrated a little in my opinion

ajithfederer
31st March 2008, 12:14 AM
Swades is my most favoritttt arr album 8-). Although i cant say myself as an hardcore fanatic like other hubbers here but the music is simply top class :)

I checked the Top 10 ARR thread and Swades did not figure in the top ten (leave alone top five) of Littlemaster1982, A.Anand, K_vanan, and Scale. If I am not incorrect, these are some of the hard-core Rahman fans. Perhaps they forgot Swades, which somewhat lessens the album's allure, for "best" albums do not fade away from memory of even ordinary fans (leave alone hard-core ones).

For me, although Swades was a good album it did not have the freshness of Lagaan. Yuhin Chala, had it come in Lagaan would have been better received, IMO. It seems AG did not want it in Lagaan and ARR replaced it with that terrific Chale Chalo song. What a number, that! Fantastic beats in the class of the Mustafa number. Again, IMO. Also, (pardon me for this!) for me Yeh hai des mera reminded an old MSV-TKR number (vandha naal mudhal indha naal varai vaanam maaravillai), which to me indicated lack of freshness re Swades. Furthermore, as we all know Dekho na was just a polished version of Baba Kichu tha, but it did not have the "twinkling" vibrancy of Baba Kichu tha, IMO. Yeh tara was a good number but (again apologies, since you seem to be a Shahrukh fan) the film's protagonist, with his predictable acting, spoiled it somewhat, IMO. Above all, Swades was so hyped that when the album came out, it couldn't match the hype.

MADDY
31st March 2008, 01:01 PM

you are looking at a very small sample here.......if u have been to our orkut forums, u wud have seen umpteen threads on swades alone..........also, ask LM or Anand, K_vanan, whether leaving out swades was a easy choice :)

For me, although Swades was a good album it did not have the freshness of Lagaan. Yuhin Chala, had it come in Lagaan would have been better received, IMO. It seems AG did not want it in Lagaan and ARR replaced it with that terrific Chale Chalo song. What a number, that! Fantastic beats in the class of the Mustafa number. Again, IMO. Also, (pardon me for this!) for me Yeh hai des mera reminded an old MSV-TKR number (vandha naal mudhal indha naal varai vaanam maaravillai), which to me indicated lack of freshness re Swades.

:shock: , i dont think there is any similarity betn these 2 songs...........the pace and rythm of the songs might have made u think so.........yeh jo des hai tera was one of its kind song , bcos it brought back the dying instrument of shenai, which is one of the most Indian instrument too.........i dont think anyone other than MSV-TKR or SDB or O.P.Nayyar have used shenai , after them its ARR only.......:D ........for me, this song takes ARR a step above RD.Burman - cos, none of RDB's melodies cud match this song's intensity and rustic flavor.............no wonder a bengali commented 13 yrs back, "yeh to R.D.Burman ka baap hai" after listening to Bombay 8-)

Furthermore, as we all know Dekho na was just a polished version of Baba Kichu tha, but it did not have the "twinkling" vibrancy of Baba Kichu tha, IMO. Yeh tara was a good number but (again apologies, since you seem to be a Shahrukh fan) the film's protagonist, with his predictable acting, spoiled it somewhat, IMO. Above all, Swades was so hyped that when the album came out, it couldn't match the hype.

me, SRk fan-a :lol: ....i like him a lot, but not a fan and all.........esp not after he has made sweeping statements on ARR's walkout of OSO..... :x .....

IMO swades is one album with its touch of patriotism and authentic indian music, took ARR closer to the likes of SD.Burman and Naushad :notworthy:

littlemaster1982
31st March 2008, 01:18 PM

you are looking at a very small sample here.......if u have been to our orkut forums, u wud have seen umpteen threads on swades alone..........also, ask LM or Anand, K_vanan, whether leaving out swades was a easy choice :)

Top 10 albums select pandrathukkulla enakku muzhi pidhungiduchu. If I have to list the reasons why I left out some albums (Swades included), I need a seperate thread.

crajkumar_be
31st March 2008, 01:59 PM
..i dont think anyone other than MSV-TKR or SDB or O.P.Nayyar have used shenai , after them its ARR only.......
<Dig>
Two Raaja songs i can think of with Shehnai usage are
"Manamagale" (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wSkprlG1yBM) (Thevar Magan) in the prelude - 4:44 onwards
"Sriranga" (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WdAx852K8eQ) (Mahanadhi) - 2nd interlude [in the film, only the 2nd interlude is kept] - 1:11 onwards
</Dig>

Music4Ever
1st April 2008, 02:31 AM
[tscii:29aecefafc]Maddy, if you had said that Swades would figure in the top five of *many* fans then there would be no quibble but you said *any* fan he he.

Otherwise, your PoV is perfectly fine with me. What made me recall vandha naal mudhal is that bit that follows after the first and second interludes. I will stand by it and we (you and Vijayr versus me) will disagree amicably. To see whether we are on the same page, what is your take on the A ah song Aararai kodi pergalil oruvan and the Nenjil oar Aalayam song that goes varuvai ena naan thanimayil nindren vandhadhum vandhai thunaiyudan vandhai? I think the former is an exact rip off.

Vijayr, first of all, I never said I didn't like the songs, just that they did not sound awesome to my ears. They are good songs still. As to what Shahrukh’s acting has to do with the song, I offer the explanation that I heard the song first when it was shown as a trailer across Hindi channels. This is not unlike songs becoming hits as soon as a movie hits the jackpot. Only in this case the song had a not-so-great impact on me when it was viewed first rather than heard! The main point is about our respective emphasis on the type of songs that an album should contain to be deemed among the top five. Your focus is on classy music even if the numbers may not be as energetic or peppy while many others like me may have a different take on what constitutes the top five. For me, I liked Tehzeeb more than Swades and would rate it higher, while I have heard many who felt Tehzeeb music was a big letdown.

That Lagaan was hyped before its release is news to me. Because, although Aamir is a top star, AG was a much unknown figure who had then directed a failed film Baazi (?). Anyway, I am willing to take your word that Swades was less hyped than Lagaan before its release.
[/tscii:29aecefafc]

thineshan54321
1st April 2008, 03:01 AM
speaking of shenai, mayilirage also had shehnai (or was it a digitally engineered sound of a shehnai).

MADDY
1st April 2008, 11:26 AM
..i dont think anyone other than MSV-TKR or SDB or O.P.Nayyar have used shenai , after them its ARR only.......
<Dig>
"Manamagale" (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wSkprlG1yBM) (Thevar Magan) in the prelude - 4:44 onwards
"Sriranga" (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WdAx852K8eQ) (Mahanadhi) - 2nd interlude [in the film, only the 2nd interlude is kept] - 1:11 onwards
</Dig>

wanted to say "have used as much as ARR" :D ......

rajeshkrv
1st April 2008, 08:30 PM
Swades - Tamil was equally better..

Vaali was commendable in all songs..

rajasaranam
1st April 2008, 08:54 PM
<Dig>
</Dig>

wanted to say "have used as much as ARR" :D ......

shenai was used by Raaja extravagantly in his songs and BGM's. Infact he Re invented Shenai which was then used by Composers only for pathos/Sad situations and made it played for happy/fun situations :)

baroque
1st April 2008, 10:19 PM
Rajasaranam,

Shri.MSV has done it all.

It is not true Shri.Raaja has reinvented Shenai for other moods.

Please lend your ears to ennai yaar endru.... duet, what an emotive shenai passage!
Please check out the album Paalum pazhamum, Karnan, thanga radham vandhadhu... & more of Shri.MSV! Trust me, HE HAS DONE IT ALL!!

Aahaa!! Check out Aval oru thodarkadhai!

Kanniley enna undu.... What a composition! what an album!

Mood preserving orchestration, emotive vocals in a sustained melodies enriched with Indian classical Ragas, pleasing lyrics, apt usage of instruments!! WOW!! SHOWS COMPOSER's CLASS!!

http://ww.smashits.com/music/tamil/songs/2659/aval-oru-thodarkathai.html#

thineshan54321
2nd April 2008, 12:08 AM
what you guys have to understand is that, it wasnt unusual to use shehnai back then (during MSV or even IR times). but arr is the first one to re-visit this fine instrument in this modern age (i believe it was 2004 when swades released) and he really used shehnai in such a way that it calls you back home in that song. never have i known that an instrument can speak, literally.

baroque
2nd April 2008, 12:35 AM
Rajasaranam, Please lend your ears to Unnidathil ennai....from Avalukkendru oru manam.

Last month when I found the DVD , I was elated, I have never seen the visual for my favorite song.

Avalukkendru Oru manam - Enchanting album, cherish the songs forever!
:ty: MSVTIMES music section for the song!

http://www.msvtimes.com/music/songs/u.html

thenishan54321, I don't know what your conversations are!
I just read the Rajasaranam post, giving him the songs I can think of from Shri.MSV's musical factory!
I don't want him to miss the joy! :)
you guys continue!

SWADES!! Way to go Rahmanji!!
:ty: :musicsmile:

thineshan54321
2nd April 2008, 01:04 AM
Rajasaranam, Please lend your ears to Unnidathil ennai....from Avalukkendru oru manam.

Last month when I found the DVD , I was elated, I have never seen the visual for my favorite song.

Avalukkendru Oru manam - Enchanting album, cherish the songs forever!
:ty: MSVTIMES music section for the song!

http://www.msvtimes.com/music/songs/u.html

thenishan54321, I don't know what your conversations are!
I just read the Rajasaranam post, giving him the songs I can think of from Shri.MSV's musical factory!
I don't want him to miss the joy! :)
you guys continue!

SWADES!! Way to go Rahmanji!!
:ty: :musicsmile:

i listened to the numbers u were talking about. ya they r truly amazing. MSV, IR, ARR. titans! i really love MSVs use of strong bass strings in his preludes and inter. ARR tried the same in vaa ji vaaji prelude, amazing stuff.

baroque
2nd April 2008, 02:34 AM
thenishan54321, Glad you enjoyed!
Get back to Rahman bhaiya!

rajasaranam
3rd April 2008, 12:28 AM
Rajasaranam,

Please lend your ears to ennai yaar endru.... duet, what an emotive shenai passage!
Please check out the album Paalum pazhamum, Karnan, thanga radham vandhadhu... & more of Shri.MSV! Trust me, HE HAS DONE IT ALL!!

Mood preserving orchestration, emotive vocals in a sustained melodies enriched with Indian classical Ragas, pleasing lyrics, apt usage of instruments!! WOW!! SHOWS COMPOSER's CLASS!!

Sorry for missing those wonderful compositions :) I listen to MSV for the tune and melody alone, never getting into the instrumentation part :( While I listen to Raaja intricately even for finer nuances with instruments :) Probably i should change my listening pattern with MSV now! Since Iam getting brickbats from fans including Raaja himself asserting that MSV was a Giant :)

thineshan54321
3rd April 2008, 02:13 AM
Rajasaranam,

Sorry for missing those wonderful compositions :) I listen to MSV for the tune and melody alone, never getting into the instrumentation part :( While I listen to Raaja intricately even for finer nuances with instruments :) Probably i should change my listening pattern with MSV now! Since Iam getting brickbats from fans including Raaja himself asserting that MSV was a Giant :)

i dont have much experience with MSV or IR. but from a few concerts that i did where we played some MSV numbers and occasional listens. MSVs preludes and interludes are amazing (espeically the string section) and his melody is ofcourse TOP CLASS! sry for the dig

baroque
3rd April 2008, 08:01 AM
Rajasaranam, Glad you enjoyed!

Classical Prowess is DEEP & STYLISH!! :musicsmile: :clap:

jangofett
9th April 2008, 06:54 PM
I saw Swades a few weeks back on TV and fell in love with the songs again. I don't know why but after 2000, the excitement factor wasn't there in ARR's Hindi albums until RDB. I enjoyed Rangeela, Daud, Kabhi Na Kabhi, Dil Se, DSKR, Taal, etc. Maybe it's because ARR was doing historical or period Hindi movies.

I kinda feel that the director wanted ARR to recreate Lagaan for Swades. Some songs have a similar feel in both movies:
Mitwa = Yeh Tara Woh Tara
Radha Kaise Na Jale/O Paalanhare = Pal Pal Hai Bhaari
O Rey Chori = Dekho Na/Saanwariya
Ghanan = Yun Hi Chala

ARR reused a track from Baba but I liked the smooth Hindi version of Dekho Na. The Stars song - Yeh Tara Woh Tara is good. Saanwariya is excellent. The lyrics, the interludes - perfect.

I think Swades won the background Filmfare award in 2005. It's a good soundtrack for the movie and of course the heroin was so beautiful in Saanwariya :wink: The songs pushed the movie forward and some songs were not shown fully which is good to get the movie going.

Dragun
9th April 2008, 10:14 PM
Also listen to Ullathil Nalla Ullam (Karnan) for a fantastic use of shehnai.

Ramakrishna
5th October 2008, 10:06 PM
Let us discuss about this under-rated masterpiece :notworthy:

Sanjeevi
5th October 2008, 10:23 PM
Superb songs are 1) Vaan Nila 2) Sonnalum 3) Enthan Vanin

'Ee ee enna acchu unakku' is not my cup of tea

viraajan
5th October 2008, 10:26 PM
Sonnalum Ketkavillai is one my all time favorites :bow:

dinesh2002
6th October 2008, 10:14 AM

not to mention, the picturisation !! :notworthy: :clap: :omg: :2thumbsup:

dun think any dirs could have justify that song that well as what Kadhir did.... imagination at its best, and graphics was wonderful !!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=efds45hGp7Y

prasana84
8th October 2008, 02:43 AM
Excellent song thanks for remembering me :musicsmile:

Ramakrishna
6th January 2009, 03:03 PM
New album???

Before that this thread needs to be made sticky.

ajaybaskar
6th January 2009, 06:05 PM
Mods,Pls....

littlemaster1982
27th January 2009, 12:22 PM
Reviving this thread and making it sticky.

Suggestions for next album please :D

lancelot
27th January 2009, 12:25 PM
STICKY!!!!!
hehe
:D

dinesh2002
27th January 2009, 01:49 PM
Iruvar??

SoftSword
27th January 2009, 02:07 PM
Alli Arjuna

littlemaster1982
27th January 2009, 02:45 PM
Let's go with Iruvar now :D

littlemaster1982
27th January 2009, 02:50 PM
To listen online (http://www.raaga.com/channels/tamil/moviedetail.asp?mid=T0000062)

Track listing:

1. Kannai Katti - Hariharan
2. Hello Mister Edirkatchi - Harini
3. Narumugaye - Unni Krishnan & Bombay Jayashree
4. Venilla Venilla - Asha Bhosle
5. Ayirathil Naan Oruvan - Mano
6. Poo Kudiyil Punnagai - Sandhya

Let's discuss :D

SoftSword
27th January 2009, 03:01 PM
i always loved the way the poo kodiyin punnagai song...
wat a peaceful melody...

dinesh2002
27th January 2009, 03:03 PM
I think this album truly shows what is ARR is capable of, especially in his early years. The whole album came as a shock to everyone, as it had all the olden flavors, like Poo Koodiyin, a very 60s Tamil song, and not to mention the singer has the same voice of P.Susheela [her niece].

And then we have those 2 jazz numbers... mind boggling numbers!! and who can ever forget that Narumugaye.... aah... blissful number....Bombay Jayashree at her best form. The perlude and interludes are top top class... dun think any other MDs could come up with perlude and interludes like that :D

littlemaster1982
27th January 2009, 03:09 PM
This album of ARR should hold a special place in TFM history. For a storyline which transcends 50 years, he gave songs resembling each decade.

One thing to note is, Mani Ratnam never uses timeline in the movie (like placing titles "5 years later"). Instead he uses the songs which represent the appropriate period.

A great album is an understatement :notworthy:

Guess_Me
27th January 2009, 05:59 PM
An old article on Iruvar soundtrack from dhwanii.com:

(Abbreviations used : ARR - AR Rahman, IR - Ilaiyaraja, MR - Maniratnam, BR-Bharathiraja, HH - Hariharan, UK - Unnikrishnan, BJ - Bombay Jaishree, TMS - TM Sounderrajan, MSV - MS Vishwanathan, KVM - KV Mahadevan)

If I remember correct this is Rehman s FIRST period movie. Rumours were thick that Maniratnam wanted to go back to IR since Rehman is a Keyboard-kid and IR is a master of period music.(Dinamalar - Thunukku Mootai even wrote about the never-happened meeting between MR & IR) .But i was sure about two things :

1. Rehman is an unknown quantity in this area but he is the only one who manages to visualize the script better.
The jingles world would have certainly taught him how to compose music to suit the mood of the visuals.

2 .Save for the "Naan Sirithal" (Nayagan) song, IR has not exhibited the full grasp of the PERIOD concept. Even in that song. using the vocals of MS Rajeswari was the one factor that gave the PERIOD feel.The BR-Karthik-Ranjita period movie - Nadodi Thendral with music by IR was a diaster. So Mani has the only option and that was Rehman.

The cassette was on. HH & chorus start "Vi-Du-Tha-Lai". No..No..No..something was missing.Vairamuthu was the one to falter with inane lyrics in this song. But the Jazz arrangements pacified me.

When Asha finishes "Vennila" I could imagine Vennira Aadai Nirmala in her tights and sleeveless trying to seduce MGR (in his black pant & Red shirt). Bingo..I am in 1966. The time machine has started.

Narumugaye ..what UK and BJ ? I expected PBS voice to recreate a "Neeyo Nano". Has Rehman made a mistake ? Vinayakram's ghatam then gently reminds me the typical Rehman homework. Naatai weds Maand. Now I am in 1950.

Arvind Swami's metallic voice then reminds me that VM has woken up. Shanmugasundram (the stage artist) with a good voice and proper tamil pronounciation would have been my choice. A mild disappointment. But i did not know who is gonna act in the movie...probably Swami himeslf.

Aayirathil Naan oruvan by Mano - oh ! Not TMS ?! When Mano (never once my favourite) paints "Kunintha Ullam thunithu vittal" ...wait ..wait i have listented to a similar emphatic voice singing similar lines. Yeah ! I recollect ! It was TMS for MGR !

MSV-TKR have done immortal MGR songs. But "Mama" KVM had sneaked in one with "Unnai Arinthal" from Vettaikaran.

To get a complete 60s picture, you cannot leave out KVMs MGR songs.Yes..now the mood has absolutely set in.
I am in 1965 near Goa with thousands of Junior artists - Jayalalitha, Nambiar, Nagesh & Madhuri with MGR.

Suseela starts "Poongodiyin"...but the cover says "Sandhya". As the song develops, I recheck the cover. Is MSV a guest composer ? When the song getst over, automatically my hand reaches for the rewind button. This song is a perfect tribute to 1960s, the greatest period for Tamil films.

Now Iknow that ARR has understood the PERIOD concept but i have to wait to find out whether MR & Suhasini have really understood it. The suspense was over only after 6 months when i came back to TN. MR has to do a lot of explaining to fans ...ARR fans ..for he would have been left with few of his own after this movie.

Roshan
28th January 2009, 01:57 PM
To listen online (http://www.raaga.com/channels/tamil/moviedetail.asp?mid=T0000062)

Track listing:

1. Kannai Katti - Hariharan
2. Hello Mister Edirkatchi - Harini
3. Narumugaye - Unni Krishnan & Bombay Jayashree
4. Venilla Venilla - Asha Bhosle
6. Poo Kudiyil Punnagai - Sandhya

Let's discuss :D

Thanks Senthil for the link. After last night's ASS show, I badly wanted to listen to KaNNai katti koLLAthE - but en system'la antha pAttu irukkala. I had all songs from Iruvar except this. Don't know how it got missed :?

The cassette was on. HH & chorus start "Vi-Du-Tha-Lai". No..No..No..something was missing.Vairamuthu was the one to falter with inane lyrics in this song. But the Jazz arrangem ents pacified me.

I didn't get this exactly.. enna solla varrAr author? :confused2:

Arvind Swami's metallic voice then reminds me that VM has woken up. Shanmugasundram (the stage artist) with a good voice and proper tamil pronounciation would have been my choice. A mild disappointment. But i did not know who is gonna act in the movie...probably Swami himeslf.

Ithuvum puriyala :?

Scale
29th January 2009, 02:02 PM
Masterpiece!!! For that matter all MR songs. Vairamuthu's lyrics in particular holds a special place that It can be exemplified anytime.Iruvar After 4 groundbreaking music (incldg Indira), MR was informed of approaching different classical composers may be quiet reluctant about AR's potentail for such an epic or may BE for that classical feel and 60's pleasing melody. Boy, A R Rahman!!! I still remember the whole tamil world is by storm with that classical "narumugaiye" & MGR intro song much more enduring than their early days. andha intro ghatam sound irukke mandayila thatra maathiriye irukkum & naveens flute. Great!! Mano's comeback imitating TMS, Harini gorgeous return from classical nila kaigiradhu to jazz music, Hariharan in thathuva paadal with brilliant guitar interludes and Asha's first tamil song with AR after rangeela fame still lingering in my mind. thirumbavum ketkanum :)

A well esteemed soudtrack and a Classic movie! Hats off

Scale
29th January 2009, 02:19 PM
A Trivial note: Harini was just 13 when she sung Nila kaigiradhu that shud be in 1994-95.

SoftSword
29th January 2009, 02:22 PM
A Trivial note: Harini was just 13 when she sung Nila kaigiradhu that shud be in 1994-95.

that earned her a national award... am i rite?

Scale
29th January 2009, 02:39 PM
NO!

SoftSword
29th January 2009, 02:41 PM
NO!really?
i somehow remember that song got an award... :roll:

Scale
29th January 2009, 03:09 PM
Search...

Here is the full list (http://www.mayyam.com/hub/viewtopic.php?t=3870&start=0) from the archieves. I checked for the lyricist but there is no national award for Indira may be for someother category.

harini search pannadhula Bhavat'harini vandhadhu. aadipoitten!

On an another google search bio/age before

"I don't know whether it was correct to give the national award to Bhavadharani. (http://cinematoday3.itgo.com/Singer%20Harini,.htm)

Roshan
29th January 2009, 03:54 PM
Masterpiece!!! For that matter all MR songs. Vairamuthu's lyrics in particular holds a special place that It can be exemplified anytime.Iruvar After 4 groundbreaking music (incldg Indira), MR was informed of approaching different classical composers may be quiet reluctant about AR's potentail for such an epic or may BE for that classical feel and 60's pleasing melody. Boy, A R Rahman!!! I still remember the whole tamil world is by storm with that classical "narumugaiye" & MGR intro song much more enduring than their early days. andha intro ghatam sound irukke mandayila thatra maathiriye irukkum & naveens flute. Great!! Mano's comeback imitating TMS, Harini gorgeous return from classical nila kaigiradhu to jazz music, Hariharan in thathuva paadal with brilliant guitar interludes and Asha's first tamil song with AR after rangeela fame still lingering in my mind. thirumbavum ketkanum :)

A well esteemed soudtrack and a Classic movie! Hats off

Yeah Right ! I was saying this yesterday in 'last song' thread in TF section. In addition to the mind blowing tunes and excellent lyrics, selection of singers has contributed to this most memorable album. Mano, Harini, Hariharan, Asha, Unni, Bombay Jayashree, Sandhya are all aptly chosen.

Relished listening to the entire album a couple of times yesterday. VM's 'udal maNNukku uyir thamizhukku' and 'unnOdu naaniruntha ovvoru maNithuLiyum' poetries are a pleasure to listen. Songs are pure bliss :notworthy:

complicateur
30th January 2009, 12:46 AM
An old article on Iruvar soundtrack from dhwanii.com:
ozhungA Iruvar paththi ezhuthalAm-nu vanthA intha mAthiri post. :| This is probably not the place to counter it so I will let it go (in spite of it being hard to not say anything about nAdOdi thenRal being a "disaster").

Track listing:
A personal anecdote with respect to the above song. The year was 1997 and there was a hotly contested election going on. Yes it was just a non-descript school pupil leader election among 9th-12th standards at a high school in T.Nagar but to those 400 or so adolescents that was probably the most pressing issue at that time. After a week long campaign it was finally speech time and the representatives from both science elective sections had completed their sales pitch speeches.

The coordinating staff came on stage and announced the name of the third contestant from the commerce section. A couple of minutes of announcements later there was no response and suddenly a loud single cymbal beat filled the air followed by the opening strains of Ayiraththil nAn oruvan.

The crowd was suddenly abuzz and looked hither-thither, still no sign of the candidate. As Mano's voice, sounding quaintly like TMS, filled the air, the sea of humanity in the assembly hall parted down the centre (enterprising 12th commerce students had occupied the entire centre row) and the candidate arose from the rear just as the words nAn ninaiththAl ninaiththathu nadakkum and he timed his walk to the podium to end just as nIngaL ANayittAl padaith thalaivan!

It remains to this date one of the best lessons in never underestimating the power of spectacle and of course the impact of the music. Oh and before I forget, the dude won an absolute landslide victory!

Roshan
30th January 2009, 08:55 AM
Interesting :) I was very much eager to know as to what happened finally to the guy and was rushing through your post and ended up with a :D

No wonder MGR used movie songs for his political propaganda.

Mano's rendition of 'Ayirathil nAn oruvan' is commendable. Specially the line 'kunintha uLLam thuNinthu vittAl'

ajaybaskar
30th January 2009, 09:05 AM
Iruvar is one of the best ARR-MR albums.. But honestly, its one of the most underrated too.. Probably because of the movie's BO failure.

Vennila, Narumugaiyae, Ayirathil still accompany my playlist. pookodiyin is my father's favourite since he is a HC MSV fan and he tells that the song has the stamp of MSV throughout. ARR's ability to create period music at the age of 30+ is stunning.

Mahen
30th January 2009, 10:54 AM
Even the BGM is one of ARR's best..Check out the climax..:cry: Perfect direction,music,visuals and acting..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DhQuTG5Z2YM

dinesh2002
2nd February 2009, 08:37 PM
Just finished listen to the whole album again.... my god.... what an album.... Yenge pa ARR's feet?? a complete album from him... such a SOLID album man..... the arrangments, the tune, the choice of singers, the lyrics.... u name it, its 100%.....

Ayyah Raasa.... ennale mudiyelei........ :notworthy:

Scale
5th February 2009, 02:07 AM
Ist song - aayirathil oruvan

prelude to Ist interlude ::pause <<rewind >play <repeat>

natural gush of world music :head spin: discover!

I was flipping through the video links of iruvar provided by Mahen and surprised to identify a short bgm at 8.45 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XHJW-fZyMqk&feature=related). <HEADPHONES ON 9.03> ennai ariyamale paada arambichitten. PEACE! its just a reflextion.

sloshed
5th February 2009, 05:33 AM
If there was a movie from Tamil i will proudly go and exhibit to the world ...that would be Iruvar..Iruvar is as close to perfect filmaking as it could get..

MR visually portrayed what he wanted to say inthe first place .. and thats a big ask for today's directors..

kamalsurya
26th February 2009, 09:18 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zRMQeII0Okk

Has to be the best!! 8-)

ArulprakasH
5th August 2009, 12:28 AM
Iruvar... One of my most favourite album of ARR... :)

Love all the songs particularly Aayirathil Naan Oruvan very much.. MGRkku ARR compose pannina songache. :)

kid-glove
16th August 2009, 01:52 PM
Firstly on BGM:

Mani uses ARR's piece (the same percussion piece is used with varying tempo and varations for Anandan-Tamizhselvan track) to mute the crux of Anandan's speech (Macguffin? that it contributes to the eventual split) after Annadurai(Nasser)'s death. The variation in the musical motif serves to the magnitude of blow from one to another.

Shortly after, when Nambiar(Delhi) informs Anandan that the party has severed ties, Lal's (control of) emotion matched by the piece. And the mood swing when Anandan comes out of the room. The same piece is used for a similar (and beautifully conceived) moment in early part of the film, Anandan fails audition, and in stead, ends up doing a lesser role ('chinna bit vesham' in his own words). The melancholy significantly matches Anandan's struggle to whelm the tears ("apram Police Anandan-nu pEr ayidum"). It is also measuredly used in breaking of the car accident to Anandan, the impotency to find his feet and all. Brilliant acting.

I'm also reminded of the sequence from the fatal Gunshot to Anandan, up until Tamizhselvan taking up the CM seat.

It's not just serious stuff though. As Anandan enters into the sets (Merryland studios?) of the period movie he is about to star in, in a private moment, with a playful inhibition, he acts out an imaginary sequence of taking up the throne. Anandan shifts his body to try a majestic pose, then his attention takes to the machete replica, and he tries to take swings with wide-eyed vigor. I have to say the BGM compliments the acting and the mise-en-scene. It marries ambition to playfulness of the moment.

Without doubt, Rahman's best work.

More later on the songs.

VENKIRAJA
28th September 2009, 11:05 PM
Right. One of the most powerful music composed for an anticlimax.

And, those ones involving Aravindswamy were good too. The BGM ofcourse works best in the climax, though all scenes featuring the Naicker Mahal are simply stunning. And, who can forget the famous terrace hand wave moment!

venkkiram
26th December 2009, 10:50 AM
"இருவர்" பட இசை ரஹ்மானின் பயணத்தில் ஒரு மைல்கல்.

வைரமுத்துவின் வரிகளுக்கு சரியான தளம் அமைத்த படங்களில் இதுவும் ஒன்று.

"கண்ணைக் கட்டிக் கொள்ளாதே" பாடலில் வரும் "தாடிகளெல்லாம் தாகூரா! மீசைகளெல்லாம் பாரதியா!" என்று பாடும் போது ஹரிஹரன் தாடி என பதத்தை கடுமையாக உச்சரித்து, மீசை என்பதை மெலிதாக உச்சரித்துப் பாடும் அழகு - அட்டகாசம்.

"வெளியே போகச் சொல்லாதே!
நான் வீழ்வேன் என்று எண்ணாதே!"

இந்த வரிகள் எனக்கு என்னவோ சில சமயத்தில், தமிழ்ச் சினிமாவின் ஒரெ சார்பு நிலை விமர்சனப் பண்டிதர்களின் கூவல்களுக்கு ரஹ்மான், வைரமுத்து, ஹரிஹரன் போன்ற கலைஞர்கள் பதில் சொல்வதாகவே தோன்றும்.

Scale
29th December 2009, 10:40 AM
"வெளியே போகச் சொல்லாதே!
நான் வீழ்வேன் என்று எண்ணாதே!"

இந்த வரிகள் எனக்கு என்னவோ சில சமயத்தில், தமிழ்ச் சினிமாவின் ஒரெ சார்பு நிலை விமர்சனப் பண்டிதர்களின் கூவல்களுக்கு ரஹ்மான், வைரமுத்து, ஹரிஹரன் போன்ற கலைஞர்கள் பதில் சொல்வதாகவே தோன்றும்.

aaha arumai! migavum arumaiyagha ulladhu thangal padhivu incld LST. thangalukkagha thani thiriyaye thodangalam. I am enjoying and Keep writing! neraminmai kaaranamaagha tamilil padhivu seiya mudiyathatharku mannikavum. vazhthukkal!

Guys, this thread needs to be revived.

littlemaster1982
29th December 2009, 10:46 AM
Scale, suggest any album :)

VinodKumar's
29th December 2009, 10:48 AM
Unndou naan iruntha ovovoru nimidamum :notworthy: :notworthy:

ARR's BGM :cry3: (Ananda Kanner)

SoftSword
29th December 2009, 12:14 PM

adhu...

unnodu naanirundha ovvoru manitthuliyum...
maranap'padukkaiyilum marakkaadhu kanmaniyae...

thonnooru nimidangal thoottanaittha kaalam dhaan...
ennooru aandugalaai idhayatthil kalangudhadi.........

viraajan
29th December 2009, 12:15 PM

adhu...

unnodu naanirundha ovvoru manitthuliyum...
maranap'padukkaiyilum marakkaadhu kanmaniyae...

thonnooru nimidangal thoottanaittha kaalam dhaan...
ennooru aandugalaai idhayatthil kalangudhadi.........

:bow:

then something like, vetkathai aadaiyai anindhai etc comes? adhu indha paattu thaane :roll:

NOV
29th December 2009, 12:28 PM
உன்னோடு நான் இருந்த ஒவ்வொரு மணித்துளியும்
மரணப் படுக்கையிலும் மறக்காது கண்மணியே

தொன்னூறு நிமிடங்கள் தொட்டணைத்த காலம் தான்
என்னூறு ஆண்டுகளாய் இதயத்தில் கனக்குதடி

பார்வையிலே சில நிமிடம்
பயத்தோடு சில நிமிடம்
கட்டி அணைத்தபடி கண்ணீரில் சில நிமிடம்
இலக்கணமே பாராமல்
எல்லா இடங்களிலும் முத்தங்கள் விதைத்த மோகத்தில் சில நிமிடம்

எது நியாயம் எது பாவம் இருவருக்கும் தோன்றவில்லை
அது இரவா அது பகலா அதை பற்றி அறியவில்லை
யார் தொடங்க? யார் முடிக்க? ஒரு வழியும் தோன்றவில்லை
இருவருமே தொடங்கிவிட்டோம் இது வரைக்கும் கேள்வி இல்லை

அச்சம் களைந்தேன் என் ஆசையினை நீ அணிந்தாய்
ஆடை களைந்தேன் வெட்கத்தை நீ அணிந்தாய்

கண்டத் திருக்கோலம் கனவாக மறைந்தாலும்
கடைசியில் அழுத கண்ணீர் கையில் இன்னும் ஒட்டுதடி

viraajan
29th December 2009, 12:44 PM
:exactly: :ty: Nov.

Scale
31st December 2009, 11:45 AM
right now in my mind is "Puthiya Mugam". dont know if it was done b4. I will try to listen and post my revivification.

Aalavanthan
9th February 2010, 08:13 PM
Kannathil Muthamitaal
Duet
Muthu

Lets revive guys

littlemaster1982
9th February 2010, 08:24 PM
Let's start discussing the NA winning album,

Kannathil Muthamittaal

Aalavanthan
9th February 2010, 08:54 PM
:clap: One of the best albums of AR in this decade.. Even I voted for this album in the TFM section.

A Revisit to the album..

1. Kannathil Muthamitaal (M) - Jeyachandran
2. Kannathil Muthamitaal (F) - Chinnamma Chilakama Chinmayee
3. Sundar siriya rettai vaal - Hariharan, Tipu, Karthik, Sujatha
4. Vellai Pookal - AR himself
5. Vidai Kodu engal naadae - MSV, Balram, Febi, AR Rehana
6. Signore Signore - Raafique, Noel James, Anupama, Swarnalatha

:notworthy:

raghavendran
11th April 2010, 12:05 PM
:clap: One of the best albums of AR in this decade.. Even I voted for this album in the TFM section.

A Revisit to the album..

1. Kannathil Muthamitaal (M) - Jeyachandran
2. Kannathil Muthamitaal (F) - Chinnamma Chilakama Chinmayee
3. Sundar siriya rettai vaal - Hariharan, Tipu, Karthik, Sujatha
4. Vellai Pookal - AR himself
6. Signore Signore - Raafique, Noel James, Anupama, Swarnalatha

:notworthy: 8-) 8-)

VinodKumar's
11th April 2010, 12:07 PM

Manicka Vinayagam kooda intha song la padirukkar la :roll:

VinodKumar's
11th April 2010, 12:08 PM
One of ARR's best album :happydance:

Appu s
11th April 2010, 12:55 PM

Manicka Vinayagam kooda intha song la padirukkar la :roll:
yes, whenever i listened to this song,i felt the other singer Balram tried to imitate IR,might be unintentional.

raghavendran
27th April 2010, 06:13 PM
One of ARR's best album :happydance: :notworthy: :notworthy:

Sunil_M88
28th September 2010, 03:41 AM
@ MOD... could we change the thread to Guru, please?

Sunil_M88
29th September 2010, 12:22 AM
Rahman ji refrained himself from experimenting too much with contemporary genres, as the script demanded conventional/familar genres eg. Qawwali - Tere Bina, Operatic - Jaage Hai, Ghazal - Aye Hairathe, Folk - Barso Re and Ek Lo Ek Muft and Ragtime - Baazi Laga

But the extent to which he revived those genres in IFM and experimented within those genre parameters is really laudable.

Now comming back to the album and why it should be the album of the week...

I was listening to Maiya Maiya and fortunate surprises stil pop out from this song, even today. When the Darbuka and Kaman strings merge with Gujarati folk vocals, it's like the vibrations of Rahman have brought the traditional Gujarati Navratri festival to the Middle East.

I am going to revist the album.

Though all genres are familiar no one else could of utilised them in a more impactful manner.

Thanks Mani saab, Rahman saab and Gulzar saab.

ps. People we should discuss albums more often, what say? Let me know how you feel about Guru. :huh:

Thanks

AudazJay
3rd December 2010, 09:25 AM
Was listening to Ae Hairathe. Amazing rendition by Hariharan and Alka Yagnik :thumbsup: This one song is enough to elevate the beauty of Guru. Am totally in love with the number now :D

Sunil_M88
19th March 2011, 06:44 PM
Swades - ARRs best work.

Yes, I KNOW it is!

The film itself is Ashutosh Gowariker’s and SRK’s best film till date. I'm not sure how natives feel but as an NRI this film very emotional. SRK gave the performance of his career in this one.

Even though the film got critical acclaim, it's a shame the film bombed commercially leading to disappearance of the attention the music truly deserved. :(

However, I believe the album still lives in the hearts and souls of certain individuals. It certainly does for me and I can’t predict if ARR can ever compose a complete album like this and anyway I don’t care about the commercial scene and all I know is that I was touched by something supernatural when hearing this album.

What makes an album?

Well simply put a complete album is not a one track album, where only one song gets hyped and the rest get washed away.

This music of this album does not carry any influence of ARR prior to this or post this audio. It even doesn’t sound like any of the material he was releasing during that period. Yet ironically, the album carries the ARR stamp all the way throughout. For this reason, it soars so high that personally I feel ARR might have difficulty being on par with this album let alone surpassing it.

Each song can be termed as a complete album. They have so much weight, that even by pure chance I will never forget each individual song. All songs are different that it makes me wonder, did one composer actually make this album. I don’t know what phase ARR was going through, but the passion here is so spiritually nostalgic yet being modern and fresh to the core.

I’m too immature to write about the songs separately and probably will never talk about them as I don’t think me or for that matter any reviewer can do justice to these songs. I think everyone can relate to a song from this movie even if they can’t relate to the album as a whole.

Charan sparsh to the whole team of this movie.

(I’m not in a position to talk about Thalaivar’s best Tamil album or overall best album but for me in Hindi, this is the epitome of beauty.)

Sorry for deviating from the thread's title.

Sunil

Sunil_M88
14th June 2011, 07:16 PM
Swades - ARRs best work.

Yes, I KNOW it is!

The film itself is Ashutosh Gowariker’s and SRK’s best film till date. I'm not sure how natives feel but as an NRI this film very emotional. SRK gave the performance of his career in this one.

Even though the film got critical acclaim, it's a shame the film bombed commercially leading to disappearance of the attention the music truly deserved. :(

However, I believe the album still lives in the hearts and souls of certain individuals. It certainly does for me and I can’t predict if ARR can ever compose a complete album like this and anyway I don’t care about the commercial scene and all I know is that I was touched by something supernatural when hearing this album.

What makes an album?

Well simply put a complete album is not a one track album, where only one song gets hyped and the rest get washed away.

This music of this album does not carry any influence of ARR prior to this or post this audio. It even doesn’t sound like any of the material he was releasing during that period. Yet ironically, the album carries the ARR stamp all the way throughout. For this reason, it soars so high that personally I feel ARR might have difficulty being on par with this album let alone surpassing it.

Each song can be termed as a complete album. They have so much weight, that even by pure chance I will never forget each individual song. All songs are different that it makes me wonder, did one composer actually make this album. I don’t know what phase ARR was going through, but the passion here is so spiritually nostalgic yet being modern and fresh to the core.

I’m too immature to write about the songs separately and probably will never talk about them as I don’t think me or for that matter any reviewer can do justice to these songs. I think everyone can relate to a song from this movie even if they can’t relate to the album as a whole.

Charan sparsh to the whole team of this movie.

(I’m not in a position to talk about Thalaivar’s best Tamil album or overall best album but for me in Hindi, this is the epitome of beauty.)

Sorry for deviating from the thread's title.

Sunil

Ashutosh Gowarikar is all set to make a sequel of his critically acclaimed film ‘Swades’. According to the sources, Ashutosh is in talks to retain Shah Rukh Khan, who played Mohan Bhargava a NRI in the prequel.

“I am planning to make ‘Swades 2’ but it’s too early to talk about it,” said Gowarikar who denied to divulge more details about the story.

The sources also informed that though SRK is the first choice of the filmmaker, there shall be change as far as actress in the film is concerned. Gayatri Joshi was introduced opposite Khan in ‘Swades’ but since she has quit the industry after marriage, a new replacement is being considered.
Sources added that the story board is like a second chapter where Mohan Bhargava, the protagonist will be on a journey to set up basic amenities for another part of rural India.

The 200 odd minutes film ‘Swades’ which had a message for every Indian who desired to make his name abroad when his soil needed him the most is all set to move forward with a sequel which will show the NRI trying his best for the upliftment of his fellow Indian citizens.

Thanks - Daily Bhaskar

Source: http://www.srktimes.com/2011/06/swades-2-with-srk-ashutosh-gowarikar.html

:happydance:

Sorry for posting this here but since I've been gaga over swades since day 1, this is the biggest news of the year for me.

Please Rahman ji accept this project :bow:

AG & SRK :thumbsup:

SoftSword
14th June 2011, 08:18 PM
we can understand that sunil :)
infact its a great project to be associated with.
lets see when things develop.

Scale
8th September 2011, 02:08 PM
Where does all other threads disappear?

Just want to ask fellow hubbers what is your most listened soundtrack of ARR and why? And you think that never ceases out of your life.

Scale
8th September 2011, 02:11 PM
or a specific song for that matter

sathya_1979
8th September 2011, 07:47 PM
Songs which come to my mind immediately:
pudhu vellai mazhai
urvasi
yakkai thiri
mann mohini
mangta hai kya

venkkiram
8th September 2011, 08:42 PM
பூ கொடியின் புன்னகை
கண்டுகொண்டேன் கண்டுகொண்டேன்
மலர்களே மலர்களே
குறுக்குச் சிறுத்தவளே
குலுவாலிலே
நான் பாடும் சந்தம்
எதுக்கு பொண்டாட்டி
இஞ்சேருங்கோ இஞ்சேருங்கோ
எனக்கொரு கேர்ள் ஃப்ரண்ட்

satissh_r
8th September 2011, 09:31 PM
Masakali - Everything about this song is pleasant. Mood changer
Yakkai Thiri - Kick ass and pure vintage Rahman
Munbe Va - Shreya Ghosal
Naan Paadum Sandham - One of my all time favourites
Kangalil Enna Eeramo - lullaby for me :)
Kaadhal Rojave - Humming onnu podhum, ennamo pannum... solla mudiyatha oru feeling
Minnale - SPB
Hello Mr Ethirkatchi - Those middle parts where Harini goes in a hush hush tone
Enge Enathu Kavithai - Nadhas + Chitra

Scale
8th September 2011, 10:12 PM
Thanks for the response.

Let me take the initiative in explaining it further that could be more informative and useful share. Gone are the days are crazy youthful listening of Roja, Bombay, Thiruda Thiruda, Dil Se, ... even today as much as I look for a innovative album, the best of singing, emotional & meaningful lyrics, feel, I think these songs cannot be matched. ARR & VM have lacerated the listener's mind very deeply literally puts me into a state of deep rage and sympathy.

Yeah, that's Kannathil Muthamittal for me.

Oru Deivam Thantha Poove
Vidai Kodu Engal Naade
Vellai Pookkal

These three songs have surpassed all my favorite album/nos yet I think this will never cease out of my life.

Scale
8th September 2011, 10:15 PM
Few more

Roja - pullannu onnu petha indha maathiri thaan pekkanum
Thiruda Thiruda - I would like to go back to school and seated in the last bench with this soundtrack. In particular playing Thee Thee.. A bench mark for future generation

Scale
8th September 2011, 10:26 PM
Rasathi - Another smirk mark not to miss :-D

Sunil_M88
9th September 2011, 02:50 AM
Fav albums in no particular order:

Roja
Bombay
Kadhalan
Minsara Kanavu
Jeans
Kadhal Dhinam
Alaipayuthe
Jodhaa Akbar
Swades
Vtv
Taj mahal

Fav songs:

Rukmini
mel isaye
mera rang de basanti chola
marudhani
margazhi thingal
rang hai
khamosiyan gun guna lage
kaalaiyil dinamum
oru deivam thatha poove
oru nanban iranthal
sahana
zindagi zindagi
nathiye nathiye
kismat se tum hum ko mile ho
pachai kiligal

evano oruvan

Fav songs sung by thalaivar himself

irumbile
rehna tu
only you
wedding qawwali from bombay dreams
columbus
araarikodi
mannipaya
velai pookal
mustafa
urvasi
athiradee
arathadee
theeyil vizhunda
mangata hai kya

Best preludes Rahman ji ever delivered for me are:

Mel Isaiye
Pogum Vazhiyellam
Taal se Taal
Thaniye
Munbe Vaa
Bhoola Tujhe
Puthiya Manidha

These preludes run through my blood

By no means is this my complete list hehe :D ...

Scale
9th September 2011, 09:18 PM
Oru nanban irunthal is a surprise addition there Sunil.. Another song that comes to my mind is Oru poiyavathu sol kanne.

Both are quiet an unusual & underrated ARR song.

venkkiram
10th September 2011, 05:10 PM
அன்பில் அவன் - இந்தப் பாடலை காரில் ஒலிக்கச் செய்து கேட்டு கேட்டு எங்கள் குடும்பத்தில் ஒன்றாகவே மாறிவிட்டது. இப்போதெல்லாம் நானும் என் மனைவியும் இதன் வரிகளை பாடிக்கொண்டே பாடலை ரசிக்க ஆரம்பித்து விட்டோம்.

நீ வானவில்லாக
அவள் வண்ணம் ஏழாக
அந்த வானம் வீடாக
மாறாதோ மாறாதோ

காதல் எல்லாம் நுழையும் இடம்
கல்யாணம் தானே
இன்று தொடங்கும் இந்த காதல்
முடிவில்லா வானே

தாமரையின் வரிகள் மிகவும் எளிமையாக, அதே நேரத்தில் சந்தத்தோடு பின்னி பிணைந்தே செல்கிறது. க்யூட்.

இசையைப் பற்றி சொல்லவே வேணாம். குதிரை பூட்டிய சாரட்டில் நம்மை உட்கார வைத்து சாலையில் பயணிக்காமல் காற்றில் உலவச் செய்திருக்கிறார் ரஹ்மான். முதல் இண்டர்லியூடில் அவர் சேர்த்திருக்கும் சிறு சிறு இசை ஒலிகள் ரம்மியமானவை. பூஞ்சோலைகளின் மரங்களிலிருந்து அதுவரை கூட்டமாக அமர்ந்திருந்த ஒரு இனப் பறவைகள் ஒரு சேர பறந்து செல்வது போலவும், வேறு இனப் பறவைகள் பறந்து வந்து அதே மரங்களில் அமர்வதைப் போலவும் இருக்கிறது ரஹ்மான் இந்தப் பாடலில் நெய்திருக்கும் சிறு சிறு ஒலிகள் வந்து வந்து செல்வது.

என்னமோ நேற்றுதான் எங்களுக்கு திருமணம் ஆகியது போன்ற புத்தம் புது உணர்வுகளை மனதிற்குள் பாய்ச்சுகிறது இந்தப் பாடல். குதூகலம், துள்ளல், ஆட்டம் எல்லாமே ஒரே இடத்தில் அமையப்பெற்ற பாடல்.

Sunil_M88
10th September 2011, 05:25 PM
Yes anbil avan is one of a kind.

Techno, carnatic, and gospel - all in one.

Another techno/carnatic number that comes to mind straight away is Mayilirage, though this time the techno has more of a subtle presence.

littlemaster1982
10th September 2011, 08:24 PM
Another song that comes to my mind is Oru poiyavathu sol kanne.

I never felt this as a ARR song. It sounded more like what Deva churned out those days.

Scale
10th September 2011, 08:59 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XqidNbkv2oE&feature=related

yeah I know that. Only recently that song clicked for me... may be my taste and listening tendency have changed over the years :gangai amaran: maathiri maarittennonu oru feel. Actually its a nice song, situational lyrics but lacks only ARR's signature orchestration. HH modulation also might have raised the bars over the years esp the interlude start iravinai theetti Oh....:bow:

kaadhal kaditham theettave which was my fav has taken a backseat. :frightened:

littlemaster1982
11th September 2011, 07:10 AM
Actually its a nice song, situational lyrics but lacks only ARR's signature orchestration.

:exactly: .

ajaybaskar
13th September 2011, 11:44 AM
I never felt this as a ARR song. It sounded more like what Deva churned out those days.

Sabesh Murali.

SoftSword
10th February 2012, 04:45 PM
gave one round listen to the songs of vandicholai chinraasu...
though there are some good tunes, i assume the album would hav been a disaster...
most of the places the orchestra and packaging looks like amateurish..
anybody who remember how this album was received when released? some experiences on that... and anybody like to hav some discussion on the songs?

rsubras
13th February 2012, 05:44 PM
gave one round listen to the songs of vandicholai chinraasu...
though there are some good tunes, i assume the album would hav been a disaster...
most of the places the orchestra and packaging looks like amateurish..
anybody who remember how this album was received when released? some experiences on that... and anybody like to hav some discussion on the songs?

senthamizh naatu thamizhachiye was a run away hit at the time of the release
chithirai nilavu was not a hit during the release but became a very popular song afterwards courtesy Sun Music and other music channels
ithu sugam sugam song - reserved for midnight masala songs i suppose
eh kaatu pana maram pola - during the time of the release adikkadi pottanga but vanished afterwards
parotta parotta - prior to the movie release and after cassette release enakku romba pidicha paatu (:D) but the picturisation was a huge sothappal

mothathula oru mega disaster movie ku rahman music pottirukave venaam...... but eppadiyo maatikittar ninaikaren....... this released in 1994 correct? Duet ku appuram cassette release aana padam........ Vandicholai sinraasu as a movie was not even worth a 1 show run, songs though not in the league of other rahman movies at that time had 1 or two chart busters, as usual album sales was good.......... and if i remember correctly, Anandavikatan while reviewing the movie pointed out rahman's music as the only solace for the entire movie

SoftSword
13th February 2012, 05:51 PM
this parotta parotta starting pallavi is a folky tune?
this is the same tune as 'aalillaadha kaattukkulla vandhu... vambu pannum sinnappayya' from PV

rsubras
13th February 2012, 05:55 PM
yes, tune is folky tune ...... ARR style dappankuthu..........though in the picturisation it ended up as something like 3rd grade song.....

and no idea about your 2nd line

A.ANAND
19th February 2012, 08:14 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sexdUSPsnek

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4G5RGhx83N0&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QdIIuUlC1C8

padam flop aanalum,but songs r superhit!

Nerd
21st February 2012, 11:08 PM
VC - Saw FDFS, not because I wanted to. Was in Karur at my uncle's house and a multiplex (two theaters) was right next to where he lived. Went only because of ARR, I had not listened to the songs prior to watching it. Movie was :twisted:

If I am not wrong, Senthamizh Nattu thamizhachiyE was the only hit song from this film. Adhu ennavO theriyalai, appayum sari ippayum sari I don't like that song. But a huge fan of edhu sugam sugam adhu. Brilliant arrangements and SPB of course. Would have preferred SJ eventhough VJ had done exceedingly well. The only VJ song for ARR apparently. Haven't listened to Siththirai Nilavu in ages but think that song is quintessential early 90s Rahman.

groucho070
22nd February 2012, 07:01 AM
My dizzy hardcore ARR fan brother used my weakness for Sathyaraj and dragged me to the film. Imagine our horror the way the songs were picturised and the cut and paste background score. The horror!!! Barotta song in youtube? A surefire hit among aNNan fan for sure.

raajarasigan
22nd February 2012, 10:43 AM
Haven't listened to Siththirai Nilavu in ages but think that song is quintessential early 90s Rahman.Siththirai Nilavu is a fantastic song... PJ + Minmini :notworthy: Interludes are too good.. :)

SoftSword
22nd February 2012, 04:44 PM
My dizzy hardcore ARR fan brother used my weakness for Sathyaraj and dragged me to the film. Imagine our horror the way the songs were picturised and the cut and paste background score. The horror!!! Barotta song in youtube? A surefire hit among aNNan fan for sure.

parotta was so unlike ARR..

and ya... chitthirai nilavu is so serene..

rajeshkrv
22nd February 2012, 10:44 PM
there was a song ye muthupappa nee othuppopa by Swarnalatha & Malgadi suba. kind of fun song ..

rajeshkrv
22nd February 2012, 10:44 PM
Sithirai nilave is a fantastic song by PJ & Minmini .. lyrics by VM quite debatable though.

SoftSword
22nd February 2012, 10:55 PM
Sithirai nilave is a fantastic song by PJ & Minmini .. lyrics by VM quite debatable though.

its open for debate now.
pls open up...

SoftSword
7th March 2012, 06:22 PM
would like to discuss on Love birds, pretty advanced album for that time i guess...
how was it received?

1. kamaan kamaan oh kaamaachi - funny, ordinary lyrics, tried many things in orchestration, spb no, singing was good
2. om shanti - watta blast, appove nalla hit'nu nenakkiren
3. malargale - sun music favorite... idhula dhaan dress color maattha thodanginaanga.... variations from melody to heavy rhythms... fantastic interludes, nice melody though
4. naalai ulagam - very serene singing... but music was loud in many places which overshadowed the melody... lyrics were awesome
5. no problem - the song which i mostly use when i want to check the sound effects of a head phone or car music system... watta rap back then.. 1995 no?

littlemaster1982
7th March 2012, 06:30 PM
2,3 & 5 were big hits then. Om Shanti was picturised well. Guess it was all PD.

ajaybaskar
7th March 2012, 06:34 PM
My favourite still remains 'Samba Samba'. Chumma urutti merattirupparu.

SoftSword
7th March 2012, 06:35 PM
ya i remember...
but too much experimentation and the music was too much blasting for that time...
so i wanted to know how did the non-arr fans and ir fans received it...

to start a healthy discusscion.

pls change thread title.

Bala (Karthik)
8th March 2012, 11:45 AM
Peak ARR fandothula irundhappo vandha album idhu. Modho naale casette vaangi friend veetula kettom (appo Philips Powerhouse-na periya settu, mouse adhigam).
Engalukku appo full satisfaction. Don't remember "Naalai ulagam". And No Problem was a huge hit. Ummachi Indian oru round vandhuttrundhaaru. Appo "Kaman Kaman"-um romba pidikkum. The other songs have aged well

raajarasigan
8th March 2012, 12:08 PM
Except Malargale, nothing works for me in Love Birds... appavum ippovum...

satissh_r
8th March 2012, 01:00 PM
Samba samba was definitely my favourite then, got to listen to it again.. TBH I was dissappointed with the picturization of all the songs.
Always like Aslam Mustafa, not sure what happend to him, his Ho gayi hai mohabbat is one of my all time favourites :)

wizzy
8th March 2012, 03:14 PM
Peak ARR fandothula irundhappo vandha album idhu. Modho naale casette vaangi friend veetula kettom (appo Philips Powerhouse-na periya settu, mouse adhigam).
Engalukku appo full satisfaction. Don't remember "Naalai ulagam". And No Problem was a huge hit. Ummachi Indian oru round vandhuttrundhaaru. Appo "Kaman Kaman"-um romba pidikkum. The other songs have aged well

major Philips Powerhouse fan here..double deck..hi speed dubbing..manual EQ :thumbsup:

SoftSword
8th March 2012, 04:09 PM

bala,
prasanna in that interview spoke about 'samba samba' guitar interludes...
now if i listen to that piece its fantastic to know that so much innovative thoughts hav gone into it 17yr back.

Sunil_M88
8th March 2012, 07:42 PM
No problem was the collaboration of that decade

A.R. Rahman, Prabhu Deva and Steven Kapur alias Apache India :clap:

music man
9th March 2012, 05:05 PM
1)My favorite from that album was Malargale Malargale..
I would like to share my thoughts that i had written on my blog long time back.
http://musically-marx.blogspot.in/2008/08/my-favorites-malargale-malargale.html

2)Then "No Problem" was a great commercial hit. The collaboration with Apache Indian made headlines and it was a good number
and the lines ARR sung had that extra punch in it.

3) Come On Come On is a heavily experimental number. It also doesn't sound Rahmanish but its a good number.

4) Naalai Ulagam is a great number. I don't know why it is under rated. I love this number. The problem is that the prelude brass
section and timpani is too loud that people jump to the next song. But what we hear after the prelude is pure melody. I always felt
that Unni Krishnan was very subdued to start with. But as the song progresses, both the singers elevate the song to greater heights.
The song has a neat bass arpeggio section with drum hits. It also has a great Chinese sounding ambient interlude filled with
chimes,saw,flute and bass section.

5) I never liked the Samba Samba number. But after seeing the Guitar Prasanna's interview and hearing the implementation of raga
in this song, I want to hear that number again..

Overall it was a pretty good album with 2 great numbers, but the failure of the movie in B.O (in my area Love Birds and Mr.Romeo

ran for 10 days only) spelt doom on the songs as well...

Sunil_M88
23rd March 2012, 03:23 AM
Kangalal Kaithu Sei

Aaha Thamizhamma - AR. Rehana, Blaaze, Madhangi

This song contains the best blend of melody and emotion displayed over fast paced electronic rhythms. Second charanam is an absolute delight. This song is right up my street, great production. :thumbsup:

Anarkali - Chithra Sivaraman, Kathir, Karthik, Murdaza

Goosebumps, through and through! This song belongs to Karthik, his sublime voice definitely has me melted whenever I hear this number. However, I'm missing Rahman Ji higher vocal magic here :(

Azhagiya Cinderella – Hariharan

A slow number, laid back kick and snare, warm pads, soft piano etc. and then to top it all we have Hariharan. What more could one ask for? Rahman Ji must have composed this on Cloud 9 because as a listener that’s exactly where I was transported.

En Uyir Thozhiyea - Chinmayee, Unni Menon

Orchestral fest :D Out of the album, I vote this the best amongst the best. Enough said!

Thee Kuriviyai - Harini, Johnson, Mukesh

If the album was getting to mellow, then here comes the predecessor to Amma Thale. I randomly heard this song before I knew about the album. Therefore, there will always be a soft spot for this song in the corner of my heart.

Arvind Srinivasan
7th June 2012, 01:28 PM
Kangalal Kaidhu Sei- My thoughts

1) Azhagiya Cindrella- This song would have been incomplete withouth Hariharan. Cannot see another singer who could have sung the lyrics more melliflously than him IMHO. The exquisite use of the brass in the 2nd BGM takes the song to another level. A part of me sees an connection between this song and Tu Bole from JTYJN.

2) Aha Tamizhamma- A very enjoyable song. A part of the credit should go to the way how the singers have used parts in ' buyaku buyaku sha' and the opening lines. You will find a very thin similarity between ' Vaanamena uyarum kaatu ' from Manmadahn and this song if you listen carefully.

3) Anarkili - The opening GRRS,SSS NSS NSS in parts just makes me hear this song again and again and ARR gives an encore of that peice with an even more soothing tabla in the 2nd BGM. Karthik and Chitra Sivaraman do the rest. The way Chitra complements Karthik in Siripumm Azhugayumm is another thing to note. And you get a bewitching flute piece following this.

4) En Uyir Thozhiye - As Sunil put it- Orchestral feat.From a singers pov Unni Menon is in top form- You get this from his " Iniyavele amaidhi puratchi ingu nadanthathe'. Then you have Chinmayee following this up with a sweet alaap and then into the charanam.

5) Thee Kuruvill - Johnson, Mukesh all are very good.But it is Harini, who completely enchants us in the end. Again the effective use of parts in the charanams for Harini does the trick. ARR spells magic with this number....

Sunil_M88
15th June 2012, 03:45 PM
With the recent discussions on Raavan, Blue and JHS at ARRYG, it’s only fair that I express my feelings about JHS.

2010 was a big year for Rahman Ji as he had a whopping number of 11 releases. (VTV, YMC, Raavan (Hindi, Tamil, Telugu), Puli, Endhiran (Hindi, Tamil, Telugu), JHS and 127 Hours) It was a treat for all fans, ask me personally and I would say Puli was my favourite album of that year and don’t think my views will ever change. But we’ll save that discussion for another day. Oh and BTW my fav song of the year was, Puthiya Manidha.

I’ll summarise my fav songs from each respective album before discussing JHS.

Puthiya Manidha
Namakame
Anbil Avan
Cry Cry
Thok De Killi
Touch Of The Sun

Imagine the above as an OST, WOW!

As an album VTV comes second and then JHS third.

Cry Cry

At that time, I was still trying to come out of Puthiya Manidha and before I knew it, the promos of Cry Cry were on air. I was immediately hooked on to Cry Cry, it’s melody *apologies in advance* had a subtle Harris Jayaraj hangover but the instrumentation particularly the drums (reminiscent of Gopala Gopala) was a complete vintage Rahman Ji fest. The beat definitely transported me to the glorious days of Om Kari, Kathazhankattu, Kulichaa Kuthaalam, Nee kattum, Vaanil, Senthamizh Naattu, etc. However, the interludes displayed a pleasant contrast with an urban Western sound weaving in and out smoothly. The first interlude can be summed up as the best interlude of the year. I extracted the interlude so that I could hear it repeat on end. (My alarm until Tango for Taj) The way Rahman Ji merges hardcore nostalgia with WCM has never been to this extent depicted so beautifully. The lyrics, displaying a similar message to Tyrewala’s own Kabhi Kabhi Aditi have the occasional Gujarati twang. Rashid is in towering form, while Shreya mam does her bit adequately.

Pam Pa Ra

When I heard this in promo, to say I was bowled over would be an understatement. I didn’t even finish the promo. The Celtic vibe in this carnival number made forget everything I was doing at that moment and I decided to make Celtic Violin beat. Prior to this I had never been as inspired after listening to a few notes of any song. Need I say more? Of course, I do. How can I leave talking about this number without mentioning Sivamani Ji.

Maiya Yashoda

When I saw this title in the song list, I seriously was expecting a bhajan or lullaby but coming back to the notion “Always expect the unexpected” this song completely took me by surprise. It bears no resemblance to any of the previous stuff by Rahman Ji. It’s one of the family orientated songs that is tailor made for a YRF film. It might sound easy on the ears but by no means is it easy to sing along to. On the surface, it is one of the simplest songs to be released out of Rahman Ji’s repertoire but once you start digging, the complexities are unlimited. The Thames mix goes one step further, when you listen nearing the end, you’ll understand what I’m trying to get at. It’s a Javed Ali and Chinmayi show all the way and as usual Asad Khan shines.

Do Nishaaniyan

If you thought the above song had a YRF stamp, think again. Rahman Ji evolves his Do Kadam composition from Meenaxi. At that time there were reports circulating the media that Sonu Nigam wasn’t on terms with Rahman Ji, I’d like to think all that was rubbish as this song defies that rumour vehemently. Until this song I was nodding my head freely to the happy go lucky nature of the above songs. The heartbreak reprise version made me jerk a tear but simultaneously pull a joyous smile. A song that can’t be explained in mere words. Oh yeah, it has Fiqrana guitar effects thrown in.

Hello Hello

“Mujhe chod do, Mujhe tham lo, Kho jaane do, Mera naam lo, Sab theek hai, Ho jayaga, Iss jhoot se ab kam lo” What follows is an interlude of random phone rings/effects. A complete revelation by Rahman Ji. “Mujh se zara baatein karo, Halke zara raatein karo, Suraj ki pehli kiranon se, Meri zindagi ko bharon” What follows is one of Rahman Ji’s all time orchestral highs. If you listen carefully, Hentry Kuruvilla (sounds ditto to Naresh Iyer) aptly supports Karthik in the former verse above . I have to confess, Karthik leaves a bigger impact than Rahman Ji in this song.

Why I’ve summed up this song by two verses is because I always skip a heartbeat, get shivers/goosebumps when I hear these portions.

I’ve Been Waiting

When I first heard this album, it was difficult for me decide my favourite song. If I remember correctly, everybody at TFM were favouring Do NIshaaniyan. After a few repeated hearings of the album, the first song to penetrate me was this one. Props to Tyrewala, Vijay Yesudas for keeping this Jazz number Indian to the core. If I was Rahman Ji, this song would be one of the proudest moments of my career. I know I’ve written Cry Cry is my pick of the album above, but this song comes very close and it’s almost on par. I just want to close my eyes, hear this song and forget about the world!

Call Me Dill

Keeping to the theme of phones, the last call is for dil. It certainly reached my dil. This acoustic number is again different to Rahman Ji’s usual songs and it doesn’t disappoint one bit. I heard this for the first time when Rahman Ji was a judge at Saregamapa. Like everybody else, I too want a Rahman Ji version of this. I don’t usually listen to these kinda songs but Rahman Ji is always pushing me forward as a listener. Tyrewala has been a bit cheeky and has stolen a line from DDLJ lol.

I will not rate this album out of 10, furthermore I don’t think I’ve ever written 1000 words for a Rahman Ji album. JHS is just a trailer for his collaboration with Yash Chopra and Shah Rukh Khan.

Happy listening :musicsmile:

Sunil_M88
23rd August 2012, 03:35 AM
#Nowplaying Nenjam Ellam

What's your thoughts on Aayutha Ezhuthu and what's your favourite track?

cokepepsi
25th August 2012, 09:51 AM
Nenjam Elllam .
Dol Dol Dolare wont be left behind

lancelot
8th May 2014, 02:17 PM
Have there ever been more powerful words uttered? I'm so jealous of you Indians! :(

Thaaye Un Peyar Sollum Pothe Ithayathil Min Alai Paayume..
Inivarum Kaalam Ilainanin Kaalam Un Kadal Mellisai Paadume..
Thaai Aval Pol Oru Jeevanillai, Aval Kaaladi Pol Sorgam Veru Illai..
Thaai Mannai Pol Oru Bhoomi Illai, Bhaaratham Engalin Swaasame..