PDA

View Full Version : PASSING THE LEGACY FROM ONE GENERATION TO THE NEXT !!!

m_23_bayarea
20th January 2007, 12:14 AM
Guys, this might sound ridiculously silly ... But I have been having a hard time in the recent past thinkin abt how the current kids and youth have been totally arguing and debating about how whatever has been happening in today's Tamil cinema world is prolly the best in terms of Directors, movies, actors, Music directors, Singers, actresses, etc etc, with us (a little older by a decade maybe) .. Some of the arguments we have seen in maybe the last year or two have been like these ....

Manirathnam - Is he the best? We say YES, a lot of them say NO! They say Gowtham, Selvaragavan, Bala, etc ... And we've had similar conversations with fans of KB, SPM, Mahendran, etc...

Shankar - Is he a great commercial director? We say YES, a lot of them say NO! They say Hari, Dharani, and some even mentioned SJ Suryah as a better commercial director ... And we've had similar conversations with fans of such directors in the 70s and 80s, cant name any now...

AR Rahman - Is he the best? We say YES, a lot of them say NO! They say Harris Jayaraj, YSR, VidhyaSagar, etc ... And we're still having similar conversations with fans of IR and they with fans of MSV ...

SPB - Is he the best? A lot of us say YES, a lot of them say NO! They say Hariharan, Shankar Mahadevan, or even Karthik as the best ... And we had a similar debate last year about SPB or TMS being better ...

Rajinikanth - Is he the biggest mass hero? We say YES, they say NO! It's Vijay ... And we're still having similar conversations with MGR fans ...

Kamalhassan - Is he the best actor? We say YES, they say NO! It could be Vikram or Surya or Ajith ... And we are still having conversations with Sivaji fans ...

Actresses - We say SriDevi as the best! Some argued Simran is better than her ... Maybe now some will say Trish or Asin is better ...

So all these discussions have been around who's the best, which era they belonged to, whose growth was better, who will attain a bigger status in a given period of time, etc etc ... Clearly this is the result of the generation that each one grows up witnessing, and that gen becomes the best by default!

Though we are comparing apples and oranges by talkin abt ppl in different generations, it becomes a little harder for ppl from the previous generations to accept the PASSING THE BUCK concept to the next generation to be honest ...

Now I am not sure how I'm gonna moderate this thread, or I dont even have a clear agenda of the kind of conversations we should have around here! But what we clearly do not want is saying ONE IS BETTER THAN THE OTHER ... Instead if we could talk about how the LEGACY could be transferred from one generation to another, or how it was done maybe in the 70s, that will be awesome I think!

To make a very simple start, maybe people can try answering the question,

Why is it so hard to see your favorites being written off as time moves forward? Or why is it so hard when your seniors rule out your favorites saying they are not there yet, and have a long way to go!

Provide some INSIGHT guys !! :thumbsup:

Nerd
20th January 2007, 02:05 AM
Bay, a very tough question to answer, indeed. I think I should be a spectator :lol:

But as far as music goes, I equally appreciate IR, ARR and YSR :) But I cant do the same when it comes to actors :(

m_23_bayarea
20th January 2007, 02:27 AM
Nerd, I know, it's too ABSTRACT! I know I'm not gonna get too many interpretations here! But I still wanted to present something that has been bothering me on the table, for ppl who also can relate to it! But I think you should really take another shot in explaining your stance! :D

nickraman
20th January 2007, 04:45 AM
Are you joking? Simran? Acting? That's like saying Vijay will stop doing masala films.

Do you even know the reason she backed out of Mani Ratnam's Aayutha Ezhathu? It was shot in sync and Simran's known for being "dubbed" in every movie that she backed out. People liked her for her body, not talent. Right now, no one doesn't deserve the title of best actress, as all their roles in movies suck and are routine fare (yes Shriya fans, unless she boasts tamil, she's a no-no.)

Ditto to Rajni. What does it take to get a megastar to do "different" themes. It's no reason why people like megastar Mammoty and Amitabh Bachchan get national awards for their acting talent. Sure they've done masalas, but not for every...freaking...movie! And people wonder why he gets box office success. Why? Fandom....yes...the fan club. The same applies to Thala, Simbhu, insert mass hero here.

The same goes for Vijay. Quit with the remaking and butchering good telugu movies for your image purposes. It's no wonder that Mani Ratnam's GURU is whipping the box office. Sify claims that it's first, but from the latest collections, Pokirri slipped post Pongal on monday while GURU got 10 more percent = 92 percent attendance. Bottom line: Leave the remaking to Ravi and you...just...do movies like Sachien and maybe.....just maybe...there'll be hope for you.

Vikram's versitle, Surya's an amateur, Vishal's beginning.

Kollywoodfan
20th January 2007, 04:53 AM
:shock: I agree with bay for the most part.

mareen
20th January 2007, 05:12 AM
NIcram ur always giving -ve points abt Vj .. we all know u dont like him but answer Bay's ques not Provoke us Vijay fans :evil:

ajithfederer
20th January 2007, 05:42 AM
:lol:....Life has to move on bay ..... 8-)

manmadan
20th January 2007, 05:43 AM
NIcram ur always giving -ve points abt Vj .. we all know u dont like him but answer Bay's ques not Provoke us Vijay fans :evil:

hes a looser :evil:
i also realised he always pulls negative things about vijay which ever thread he goes to :hammer:

m_23_bayarea
20th January 2007, 05:43 AM
Are you joking? Simran? Acting? That's like saying Vijay will stop doing masala films.

Nick, I just pointed out the kind of conversations/arguments we have been facing in the last year or two ... :oops:

BTW, I can really not understand who you really like! You always keep bashing ppl... I've never seen you appreciate anybody yet! Pls try to give my question a shot... Trust me, it will be sooo cool to hear diff opinions on this issue! :D

m_23_bayarea
20th January 2007, 05:45 AM

I know! Maybe it's time for me to change my avtar too! :(

ajithfederer
20th January 2007, 05:48 AM
The man in ur avatar came of hardwork......never change it..its ur identity in the hub :D

I know! Maybe it's time for me to change my avtar too! :(

bingleguy
20th January 2007, 06:32 AM
bay this is never a silly thought .... lot of homework has made u come up with something like this i believe ....
TRUE that generations ... change .....
A tough challenge indeed ..... i wish to talk more on this .... be right back .....

Kollywoodfan
20th January 2007, 06:44 AM

Nick, I just pointed out the kind of conversations/arguments we have been facing in the last year or two ... :oops:

BTW, I can really not understand who you really like! You always keep bashing ppl... I've never seen you appreciate anybody yet! Pls try to give my question a shot... Trust me, it will be sooo cool to hear diff opinions on this issue! :D

:lol: :yes:

thimuru
20th January 2007, 07:37 AM
its not abt passing joe..its abt acquiring!

rajni acquired the superstar status

kamal acquired the best actor status!

but nowadays heroes believe in passing...like "little super star" title

leosimha
20th January 2007, 12:53 PM
I want Ajith to acquire a unique position and not to run behind the status enjoyed by MGR, Sivaji, Rajini or Kamal.

well, we ajith fans do believe that ajith will enjoy a unique position soon....

leosimha
20th January 2007, 12:55 PM
Guys, this might sound ridiculously silly ... But I have been having a hard time in the recent past thinkin abt how the current kids and youth have been totally arguing and debating about how whatever has been happening in today's Tamil cinema world is prolly the best in terms of Directors, movies, actors, Music directors, Singers, actresses, etc etc, with us (a little older by a decade maybe) .. Some of the arguments we have seen in maybe the last year or two have been like these ....

Manirathnam - Is he the best? We say YES, a lot of them say NO! They say Gowtham, Selvaragavan, Bala, etc ... And we've had similar conversations with fans of KB, SPM, Mahendran, etc...

Shankar - Is he a great commercial director? We say YES, a lot of them say NO! They say Hari, Dharani, and some even mentioned SJ Suryah as a better commercial director ... And we've had similar conversations with fans of such directors in the 70s and 80s, cant name any now...

AR Rahman - Is he the best? We say YES, a lot of them say NO! They say Harris Jayaraj, YSR, VidhyaSagar, etc ... And we're still having similar conversations with fans of IR and they with fans of MSV ...

SPB - Is he the best? A lot of us say YES, a lot of them say NO! They say Hariharan, Shankar Mahadevan, or even Karthik as the best ... And we had a similar debate last year about SPB or TMS being better ...

Rajinikanth - Is he the biggest mass hero? We say YES, they say NO! It's Vijay ... And we're still having similar conversations with MGR fans ...

Kamalhassan - Is he the best actor? We say YES, they say NO! It could be Vikram or Surya or Ajith ... And we are still having conversations with Sivaji fans ...
Actresses - We say SriDevi as the best! Some argued Simran is better than her ... Maybe now some will say Trish or Asin is better ...

So all these discussions have been around who's the best, which era they belonged to, whose growth was better, who will attain a bigger status in a given period of time, etc etc ... Clearly this is the result of the generation that each one grows up witnessing, and that gen becomes the best by default!

Though we are comparing apples and oranges by talkin abt ppl in different generations, it becomes a little harder for ppl from the previous generations to accept the PASSING THE BUCK concept to the next generation to be honest ...

Now I am not sure how I'm gonna moderate this thread, or I dont even have a clear agenda of the kind of conversations we should have around here! But what we clearly do not want is saying ONE IS BETTER THAN THE OTHER ... Instead if we could talk about how the LEGACY could be transferred from one generation to another, or how it was done maybe in the 70s, that will be awesome I think!

To make a very simple start, maybe people can try answering the question,

Why is it so hard to see your favorites being written off as time moves forward? Or why is it so hard when your seniors rule out your favorites saying they are not there yet, and have a long way to go!

bay you forgot to include Ajith also in the MASS segment....Ajith is a combo of MASS + CLASS....8-) ...this insight should be done by talking to lots of Ajith fans and knowing the background of Ajith and his power at the box-office....and not only being a Vijay fan.....I know what made you say Vijay after Rajini....;)

leosimha
20th January 2007, 01:10 PM

please mareen...never take everything personally.....he is not provoking vijay fans...pls note that he is talking about vijay only....pls name any one movie that vijay has excelled in acting...i say it should be a unique one.....well off late vijay's dance steps have become repetitive...even though I would acknowledge that vijay is a good dancer..now pls don't mistake me that I am provoking vijay fans....

for example vijay tried to do something different by a anti-hero subject in priyamudan....but it backfired.....why...had vijay excelled in his acting with his uniqueness...then it would have been great....

except for some of the romantic genre movies by vijay....i can't remember any of the vijay movies....

ghilli was a hit...no wonder...it was a musical hit....only because of song and dance...if trisha hadn't matched vijay's steps...then the movie would have turned differently....

leosimha
20th January 2007, 01:12 PM

hes a looser :evil:
i also realised he always pulls negative things about vijay which ever thread he goes to :hammer:

manmadan...try to put in the +ves of vijay rather than being a loser....now who is a loser...nickraman is not...you are acting as a loser by not countering the +ves of vijay....

rockydeva
20th January 2007, 02:23 PM
The LEGENDS are not born,

They made by PEOPLE, and followers

thats wt happends to MGR and RAJINI

as of now for this generation, YOU all know

people are behind THALA

Hulkster
20th January 2007, 04:11 PM
Ditto to Rajni. What does it take to get a megastar to do "different" themes. It's no reason why people like megastar Mammoty and Amitabh Bachchan get national awards for their acting talent. Sure they've done masalas, but not for every...freaking...movie!

I think you are basing Rajini from movies you seen from 1995 to 2006.

So far the most hardcore masala movies that rajini has done is padayappa,baasha,arunachaalam,Baba,Paayum puli. Yejaaman was family oriented. Chandramukhi was no masala and i would be amused if you count mullum malurum,kai kodukkum kai,jhonny,avargal,aval oru thodarkadhai,ilamai oonjalaadugirathu,moondram mudichu,sri raghavendra etc as one of the Freaking masala movies. Mamooty is not a mass hero in malayalam..that was mohanlal...and Amitabh Bachan did those roles because he lost his mass power..if not it would be on the same length as rajini. Besides when You compare rajini's acting skills with amitabh bachan...rajini is slightly better by purely deriving at the fact that rajini could outdo kamalhassan in some of their earlier movies while kamalhassan outdid him in the rest...but when kamalhassan did with amitabh bachan,bachan looked more like a mouse. :D

Saamy
20th January 2007, 04:14 PM
@ hulkster

do u mean to say that rajini , just because of his mass power should do only crap movies, in the name of so called "mass movies" ?????

Hulkster
20th January 2007, 04:16 PM
No i dunt mean that...till the mindset of his fans change..rajini will be "forced" to do mass movies...but that does not mean he has only done mass movies all his life...if theres one thing that angers me is that people base rajini's cinema life from 1995 onwards..i wonder what he was doing in 1970 and 1980s. BTW take out baba,padayappa and even arunachaalam and you will notice that not all of rajini's movies are crap..yes they are mass but not totally dumb and crap. :D

thimuru
20th January 2007, 04:20 PM
Ditto to Rajni. What does it take to get a megastar to do "different" themes. It's no reason why people like megastar Mammoty and Amitabh Bachchan get national awards for their acting talent. Sure they've done masalas, but not for every...freaking...movie!

I think you are basing Rajini from movies you seen from 1995 to 2006.

So far the most hardcore masala movies that rajini has done is padayappa,baasha,arunachaalam,Baba,Paayum puli. Yejaaman was family oriented. Chandramukhi was no masala and i would be amused if you count mullum malurum,kai kodukkum kai,jhonny,avargal,aval oru thodarkadhai,ilamai oonjalaadugirathu,moondram mudichu,sri raghavendra etc as one of the Freaking masala movies. Mamooty is not a mass hero in malayalam..that was mohanlal...and Amitabh Bachan did those roles because he lost his mass power..if not it would be on the same length as rajini. Besides when You compare rajini's acting skills with amitabh bachan...rajini is slightly better by purely deriving at the fact that rajini could outdo kamalhassan in some of their earlier movies while kamalhassan outdid him in the rest...but when kamalhassan did with amitabh bachan,bachan looked more like a mouse. :D

out-doing?

what does it mean.....because both rajni and kamal dint get award winning roles with balachander...rajni got comic roles which attracts people....is that called out-doing? :roll:

Hulkster
20th January 2007, 04:21 PM
Movies in those days when rajini and kamal paired together..if kamal outdid rajini in pathinaaru vayathiniley rajini outdid him in moondru mudichu..i dunt mean the movies they did spearately..:exactly:

thimuru
20th January 2007, 04:26 PM
Movies in those days when rajini and kamal paired together..if kamal outdid rajini in pathinaaru vayathiniley rajini outdid him in moondru mudichu..i dunt mean the movies they did spearately..:exactly:

moondru mudichu?..i dont think kamal occupies screen in that movie...just a guest role type

Hulkster
20th January 2007, 04:31 PM
Hmms if i were to mention another movie there would be stark protest against and then this will overflow into kamal vs rajini fight no 62..so better avoid it..:D..as for Nickraman i hope you dunt just base ur criticism with your own opinion..you must see rajini's earlier movies as well and you will notice they are not all freaking mass masala :D

leosimha
20th January 2007, 05:20 PM

thats wt happends to MGR and RAJINI

as of now for this generation, YOU all know

people are behind THALA

truly said....waiting for kireedom....on thala day....

Nerd
20th January 2007, 09:44 PM
what does it mean.....because both rajni and kamal dint get award winning roles with balachander...rajni got comic roles which attracts people....is that called out-doing? :roll:

Know of a movie called avargaL ?? :roll:

You can agree for once that Rajini was better than Kamal in that movie though they both had equal screen presence.

Nerd
20th January 2007, 09:44 PM
And thanks to Nick this thread has also become a vijay/Rajini bashing thread :banghead:

Give it a break guys.

m_23_bayarea
20th January 2007, 10:27 PM

This is the kind of FEEDBACK this thread is looking for!!! Thanks Rocky .... :thumbsup:

PS: Guys, I think I mentioned this in my first post ... This thread is not abt WHO'S BETTER THAN WHO at all ... I just gave a few examples to set the stage for the discussion ... In case some of the details I gave were wrong, pls disregard those, and let's focus on the subject in hand! :D

nemesis786
17th April 2007, 03:14 PM
As leo put it... AJith doesnt need publicity but publicity needs Ajith :clap:

Thaai Illamal Sei Ilai... THALA illamal Thamizh Cinema Ilai 8-)

he isn ot next superstar or universal star he is first THALA .. he is AJITH 8-)

leosimha
18th April 2007, 12:02 PM
As leo put it... AJith doesnt need publicity but publicity needs Ajith :clap:

Thaai Illamal Sei Ilai... THALA illamal Thamizh Cinema Ilai 8-)

he isn ot next superstar or universal star he is first THALA .. he is AJITH 8-)

wonderful...yes Thala is the Ultimate Star, he has created a unique position for himself like the Dhruva Nakshatram (Pole Star)....Thala Pola Varumaa...

RPB
18th April 2007, 12:19 PM
AFTER RAJINI AND MGR PEOPLE BELONGS TO VIJAY.

NO MATTER VIJAY HAVE SUPPORT OF MEDIA OR OTHER PERSON.

THEEDI POONA THAAN ASIGAM
THAANA THEEDI VANTHA MARIYAATHA

I LOVE KAMAL AND VIKRAM FOR ACTING
KAMAL AND VIKRAM BETTER THAN RAJINI AND VIJAY IN ACTING

ALL ROUNDER WAY RAJINI AND VIJAY BETTER THAN KAMAL AND VIKRAM.

BOTH RAJINI AND VIJAY ARE ATTRACT ALL KIND OF PEOPLE.BUT ONE VIJAY IS NOT SUPER STAR.
SUPER STAR IS RAJINI THAAN.

BUT AFTER RAJINI AND KAMAL,VIJAY AND VIKRAM SURE.

Thirumaran
18th April 2007, 12:24 PM

Hubbers can try giving their opinion on this instead of declaring who is best /worst and making this thread as a fight thread.

groucho070
18th April 2007, 01:31 PM

Hubbers can try giving their opinion on this instead of declaring who is best /worst and making this thread as a fight thread.

Great subject for thread, bay. You are right, Thiru, we are going back to those silly debates.

I think we are blind loyalists sometimes. It hurts me when someone bashes NT for doing crap movies in the eighties. But I can't fight that...because it's the truth. But if I am a fanatic, I'd even say that film like Thirusoolam is an Oscar material.

I have once sat with an older guy (way older) who dismissed NT saying that he copied KR Ramasamy. But I consoled myself, saying that the whole world knows NT's acting prowess. But if I were a fanatic, I'd clobbered him saying that even VK Ramasamy is better than KR Ramasamy.

It's all in attitude. Vittu kodukka mudiyavillai. How often have NT fans encountered NT vs Kamal debate. I recall saying elsewhere that Kamal is the best product to come out of NT/MGR era. So, the debate is baseless.

But I think people of that time did not have problem moving on from MGR/NT/MSV era to Rajini/Kamal/IR era. It was a smooth transition. Very few grumbled. It was not until late eighties or early nineties that suddenly a bunch of people stood up and said, hey look they are the next MGR (Rajini) and NT (Kamal) when actually, when you look carefully, there are lot more MGR in Kamal and a heavy presence of NT in Rajini.

As for music, there were no issues. MSV even made a few films with Ilayaraja (no guessing whose influence is more). Very little comparison made. A few grumbles here and there.

And when ARR entered the field suddenly the comparison game began. And now, right when both Kamal and Rajini are at the peak, there are talking about the next superstar.

Funny thing is the debate on next superstar is heavier than the next Kamal or NT. That boggles my mind. Very few wants a great actor, most want a great entertainer, which is fine...but is not going to help with putting Tamil film in the international map.

And giving titles. Oru ellaiyee illai. But I am not complaining. But why all surrounding superstar. Ilaya thalabathi. Little Superstar. Come on. Come out with something original. Those days (with exception of a few greats) most title were related to their talent...like Nadippissai pulavar (yes, KRR again) or Nadigar Vel (MRR), or what they brought to the screen like Puratchi Talaivar (you know who) or
Ilatchiya Nadigar (SSR).

Now, I am becoming like the man who talked about K.R. Ramasamy. Can't help it.

What we old-timers had at that time was originality in talent. Individuality in look, especially the power of the actor's voice at that time. Or in case of music, a unique signature that can tell us that this is MSV or this is KVM or Vedha, then later, IR or SG or others.

Now? This is where the plot thickens. But there are some who moves on. My own parents are lot more open-minded than me, when accepting younger generation talents. It's just the ego in me sometimes that make me go all out to protect the older talents.

I am rambling. Oh yeah, I was talking about comparison and how people are more eager about superstar than a superactor.

I'd be a lot happier for the stars if they dream bigger. To reach for the stars...the goal that Kamal is struggling for. To bring the best of Tamil film out and reach people from all over the world. To destroy the imagined preconception that all Indian films are Bollywood.

I wish the debate could be pushed towards that direction, instead of who's the next superstar, so on, so forth. They should aim for their stars to be better than Rajini and Kamal, the way Rajini and Kamal aimed to bring the film industry higher than it was during MGR and NT's time.

Your question is tough, Bay. That is why you get this rambling response. But I hope you see my point.

joe
19th April 2007, 07:53 AM
But I hope you see my point.

Yeah,I can see the point ,since almost all you wrote fit to me also.

joe
19th April 2007, 08:15 AM
ALL ROUNDER WAY RAJINI AND VIJAY BETTER THAN KAMAL
:oops: :cry:

I think,even most of the Rajini fans won't agree with this. :)

thimuru
19th April 2007, 08:48 AM
what do u mean by all rounder way?

fight,dance,comedy,sentiment,versatility,direction ,production,script writing indha maadhiriya!

adengappa ...vijay evlo periya aalu idhula :rotfl:

Raikkonen
19th April 2007, 08:51 AM

fight,dance,comedy,sentiment,versatility,direction ,production,script writing indha maadhiriya!

:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:
Vutta Prasanth ellam listle settruvangappa

nemesis786
20th April 2007, 01:10 AM

The best quack ive ever read in my life n the way you exposed that was just :rotfl:

nemesis786
20th April 2007, 02:09 AM
"m_23_bayarea" the starter of this topic doesnt even have a clue about Ajith's mass!

See what a debutant director AL vijay himself says that he was first nervous to direct a "MASS HERO" like ajith who has several fans around him! 8-)

Have you seen fans for any other actors in this world who have been so die hard even without giving any money, putting up cutouts on their own expenses, not even meeting thala regularly but still loads n loads of die hardness growing? Literally there is no interaction between ajith n his fans n even if it happens it is very rare! [ Reasons r very noble from AJith's side and dont cook up ur own stories that he is not respecting fans!]

I cant even point to one such actor in the history of tamil cinema 8-)

THALA IS THE FIRST ULTIMATE STAR HE DOESNT NEED ANY BATON HE WILL CONQUER ALL EMPIRES SOON WITH HIS SINGLE SWORD :D

kb
20th April 2007, 02:17 AM
enga veetu pillai MGR
athisaya piravi rajini
azhagiya tamil magan vijay
sandakozhi vishal

kb
20th April 2007, 02:19 AM
deivamagan sivaji
dasavatharam kamal
kaaka kaaka surya
nepali bharath and E jeeva

kb
20th April 2007, 02:21 AM
thala ajith

ajithfederer
20th April 2007, 02:23 AM
Kozhapavathi kb :twisted: :)

m_23_bayarea
20th April 2007, 05:56 AM
"m_23_bayarea" the starter of this topic doesnt even have a clue about Ajith's mass!

What does it got to do with this thread? :roll:

m_23_bayarea
20th April 2007, 05:57 AM
Great subject for thread, bay. You are right, Thiru, we are going back to those silly debates.

Your question is tough, Bay. That is why you get this rambling response. But I hope you see my point.

Fabulous post Groucho! Just what I was looking for... :clap:

m_23_bayarea
20th April 2007, 06:11 AM
Just a quick note: This thread is NOT abt who's the best, and who's the worst! I guess there are a zillion threads for that already! As Groucho has nailed it, it's just abt TRANSITIONING or MOVING ON! I dont know why we are goin off-track in proclaiming X is the best or Y is the worst! :oops:

joe
20th April 2007, 06:56 AM
Bay,
Nice Topic ..but I don't know how to react :lol:

But when I say NT is greatest ,it is not because of my ego being NT fan..For my age ,I should be Kamal-rajini fan ,But I put NT before Kamal-Rajini for simple reason that NT is the best and guru of Kamal-rajini.

m_23_bayarea
20th April 2007, 06:57 AM
Joe, how did you take it when MGR-Sivaji were almost close to retiring, and Rajini-Kamal were starting to shine in the late 70s? :wink:

joe
20th April 2007, 07:05 AM
Joe, how did you take it when MGR-Sivaji were almost close to retiring, and Rajini-Kamal were starting to shine in the late 70s? :wink:

You are asking as if I was aware this then :lol: in late 70s ,I was still a small kid who didn't know what is cinema.

In 80's only I started to watch movies ,but it happened to be mostly old MGR-NT movies (which were screened at my village for free :) .I have seen almost 100 MGR movies ,only about 5 in theatres ,all others in a 35 mm screen at open space in my village.(strange :wink: ) .

Around 1984 only I started to watch kamal,Rajini movies in theatres ,but well before that MGR-NT had a great impact in me .

In the begining I used to like Rajini and kamal in the same scale ..Infact I was more rajini fan always mocking my cousin sister who was kamal fan ..But the movie changed me to kamal fan is 'salangai Oli' ,then 'Nayagan' made it stronger..

But still NT tops the list :)

thamiz
20th April 2007, 07:26 AM
I cant even point to one such actor in the history of tamil cinema 8-) :D

Yeah, right, you can not and you will not! :D

lavanya22rit
20th April 2007, 10:40 AM
ALL ROUNDER WAY VIJAY BETTER THAN KAMAL

GREATEST JOKE in all sense !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ROTFL

lavanya22rit
20th April 2007, 10:57 AM
[tscii:20738ca1c2]IMO none of the major stars inherited the qualities of the previous generation
Those who reached the TOP (MGR, NT, SS, UN) had something UNIQUE in them to attract the masses
Only some thukkada stars (ex. vijay, simbu) now are copying others’ style which will lead thm nowhere
[/tscii:20738ca1c2]

leosimha
20th April 2007, 10:59 AM
[tscii:6daf0224f8]IMO none of the major stars inherited the qualities of the previous generation
Those who reached the TOP (MGR, NT, SS, UN) had something UNIQUE in them to attract the masses
Only some thukkada stars (ex. vijay, simbu) now are copying others’ style which will lead thm nowhere
[/tscii:6daf0224f8]

Wonderfully put your thoughts into words....:D

Shakthiprabha.
20th April 2007, 11:06 AM

I felt sad, when

rajni / kamal turned off from their prime
IR turned off from his prime
No more movies like early maniratnams
No more simple movies like VISU
No more subtle wits like bhagyaraj
No more simple dance movements in duets.
No more stories with simple and nice jeans and salwars as costumes.

IT makes me... feel... old AND obsolete!

yup!

All I could relate, all I felt WAS MINE, retired or retiring off and leaving way to NEW FLOWERS.

Thats why, WE FIGHT, we fight for SOME RESIDUES OF OUR YOUTH left in us.

Another 10 years, you wont have IR fans or KAMAL fans or RAJNI fans fighting here :)

We can accept our retirement ALONG WITH OUR STARS.

Then it becomes time for VIJAY and AJIT fans and ARR fans to step into our shoes

:thumbsup: :) :)

Raikkonen
20th April 2007, 11:07 AM
[tscii:f0f952bca0]IMO none of the major stars inherited the qualities of the previous generation
[/tscii:f0f952bca0]

:notworthy: :notworthy:

selvakumar
20th April 2007, 11:31 AM
See what a debutant director AL vijay himself says that he was first nervous to direct a "MASS HERO" like ajith who has several fans around him! 8-)

Have you seen fans for any other actors in this world who have been so die hard even without giving any money, putting up cutouts on their own expenses, not even meeting thala regularly but still loads n loads of die hardness growing? Literally there is no interaction between ajith n his fans n even if it happens it is very rare! [ Reasons r very noble from AJith's side and dont cook up ur own stories that he is not respecting fans!]

THALA IS THE FIRST ULTIMATE STAR HE DOESNT NEED ANY BATON HE WILL CONQUER ALL EMPIRES SOON WITH HIS SINGLE SWORD :D

:clap: :notworthy:

In his interview to DD long time back, (around KK time), Thala says
"Ennoda azhagu, nadippa paarthu neenga fan ah irukkiratha vida, ennoda policies, ennoda nalla visayangalukku fan appadinnu sonna naan romba santhosa paduvaen"

AFAIK, No Actor has said something like this !

Be Proud to be a Thala fan not just for his personality and acting but for HIS POLICIES and his noble character !
8-) :D

leosimha
20th April 2007, 12:33 PM

:clap: :notworthy:

In his interview to DD long time back, (around KK time), Thala says
"Ennoda azhagu, nadippa paarthu neenga fan ah irukkiratha vida, ennoda policies, ennoda nalla visayangalukku fan appadinnu sonna naan romba santhosa paduvaen"

AFAIK, No Actor has said something like this !

Be Proud to be a Thala fan not just for his personality and acting but for HIS POLICIES and his noble character !
8-) :D

I do have this interview of Ajith by DD Podhigai. Interview is very simple and will be appreciated by all. It is very touching also.

Thala Pola Varumaa...8-)

groucho070
20th April 2007, 01:26 PM
All I could relate, all I felt WAS MINE, retired or retiring off and leaving way to NEW FLOWERS.

Thats why, WE FIGHT, we fight for SOME RESIDUES OF OUR YOUTH left in us.

Another 10 years, you wont have IR fans or KAMAL fans or RAJNI fans fighting here :)

We can accept our retirement ALONG WITH OUR STARS.

Then it becomes time for VIJAY and AJIT fans and ARR fans to step into our shoes

:thumbsup: :) :)

Well, SP, I think you must be about Joe and my age. Which means that Rajini Kamal actually belongs to our parents era...yet we are fan.

I gave up on Tamil film in the nineties. With exception of Rajini and kamal and occasional Sathyaraj I stopped watching the other films. I am forced to, though, when with family, but I'd rather read newspapers or books. Either that or I'd be happier watching comedy clips.

But then, the last few years, things changed. Positive change in the industry. Real talents are coming in. Nineties did not provide the talents with enough creativity. If one formula succeeds, everyone follows that.

But now, there are mix of genres. Varieties of talents. Stories. Good directors promising good films. Technology is improving. Cinematography are examplary. It's getting to be good now.

I hope that fans can see it that way...that Tamil film quality is finally at where it should be when Kamal, Manirathnam and a few others promised something in late eighties.

I like the new young actors...Jeeva, Barath, Arya...all of whom are promising. I like Madhavan because he is looking outside of Tamil Nadu and he has the qualities that I like (discussed in his thread, no there).

I see lots of chicken and egg situation here. Where there is talent, there is something for them. The database in the 90s could not provide talents that can match great stories and characterisation. But now it has. Some actors have matured and are willing to be challenged. The new actors are entering the time when suddenly challenging roles are available and they have no choice but to do it.

During NT/MGR time, there were plenty of talents that can be used for many types of films. It slowed down during Rajini/Kamal time and we audience relaxed with it...stopped being demanding, but it is the hunger of talents like Kamal that surprises us time to time...the incredible presence of Rajini that awes us time to time.

Fast forward now, the competition has heated up. There are many contendors. Adequate actors who can do adequate job. Competition breeds insecurity, not only to the actors, but fans as well. That is why suddenly there is an urge to make their favourite stars as the 'king' of the industry, or the 'future' of the industry.

It's good and bad. Bad because of the bad blood. Good because it makes the actor work his a** off.

These are not easy time for these stars. With exception of the seniors who have comfortable market, the younger sets really has to work hard. As MGR would say, "Uzhaipavargal Uyarvaargal", it is the most hard working one who'd finally survive long and prosper.

It'll be interesting to see who..........

Shakthiprabha.
20th April 2007, 02:45 PM
Well, SP, I think you must be about Joe and my age. Which means that Rajini Kamal actually belongs to our parents era...yet we are fan.

Yeah I do, and true rajni and kamal belonged more to previous gen.

I gave up on Tamil film in the nineties. With exception of Rajini and kamal and occasional Sathyaraj I stopped watching the other films. I am forced to, though, when with family, but I'd rather read newspapers or books. Either that or I'd be happier watching comedy clips.

I went thro that phase and it stayed with me for say 10 years!!!
Stopped watching movie when I was 22. Started with mild interest, when I turned 32 !! :roll:

But then, the last few years, things changed. Positive change in the industry. Real talents are coming in. Nineties did not provide the talents with enough creativity. If one formula succeeds, everyone follows that.

But now, there are mix of genres. Varieties of talents. Stories. Good directors promising good films. Technology is improving. Cinematography are examplary. It's getting to be good now.

I hope that fans can see it that way...that Tamil film quality is finally at where it should be when Kamal, Manirathnam and a few others promised something in late eighties.

I like the new young actors...Jeeva, Barath, Arya...all of whom are promising. I like Madhavan because he is looking outside of Tamil Nadu and he has the qualities that I like (discussed in his thread, no there).

I see lots of chicken and egg situation here. Where there is talent, there is something for them. The database in the 90s could not provide talents that can match great stories and characterisation. But now it has. Some actors have matured and are willing to be challenged. The new actors are entering the time when suddenly challenging roles are available and they have no choice but to do it.

During NT/MGR time, there were plenty of talents that can be used for many types of films. It slowed down during Rajini/Kamal time and we audience relaxed with it...stopped being demanding, but it is the hunger of talents like Kamal that surprises us time to time...the incredible presence of Rajini that awes us time to time.

Fast forward now, the competition has heated up. There are many contendors. Adequate actors who can do adequate job. Competition breeds insecurity, not only to the actors, but fans as well. That is why suddenly there is an urge to make their favourite stars as the 'king' of the industry, or the 'future' of the industry.

It's good and bad. Bad because of the bad blood. Good because it makes the actor work his a** off.

These are not easy time for these stars. With exception of the seniors who have comfortable market, the younger sets really has to work hard. As MGR would say, "Uzhaipavargal Uyarvaargal", it is the most hard working one who'd finally survive long and prosper.

It'll be interesting to see who..........

I can agree with this, as I stopped worrying about relating with age, and started appreciating new movies these days!

When we talk of movies with glamour and trend,

I could relate with GLAMOUR of 80z and early 90z, but feel alienated now!

Somewhere yet groucho, I still am not quite friendly with new films, as I feel, Ive lost the capacity to relate to a bunch of college guys and girls who goes to pub or discotheque.

Its different regarding movies which talk bout reality!

Movies with practical portrayal, sprayed in plenty, DO MAKE ME SIT UP AND WATCH.

I can sit back again with the same feeling when I watch directors like cheran, or movies like paruthi veeran etc who STRESSES on reality than glamour.

Yes, audience demand QUALITY and quality is seeping in our industry after being latent for quite some time :)

Shakthiprabha.
20th April 2007, 02:52 PM
I see lot of potential in,

BHARATH,
JEEVA
SIDDARTH

etc

lets c :)

VENKIRAJA
20th April 2007, 03:00 PM
i love u people typing bigg bigg msgs. go on!

groucho070
20th April 2007, 03:40 PM
i typing bigg bigg msgs bcoz i want 2 b clear. But stil m mizunderstood s'times.

leosimha
20th April 2007, 03:43 PM
i typing bigg bigg msgs bcoz i want 2 b clear. But stil m mizunderstood s'times.

:rotfl: groucho has a good sense of humour.