PDA

View Full Version : HEY RAM

padmanabha
29th January 2007, 09:50 PM
[tscii:925131bb65]This article on mine was published in the Hindu,(Metroplus) January, 2001.

Gandhiji will be remembered tomorrow on his death anniversary. Politicians will shower rose petals held in ornate plates by well dressed orderlies, on the Mahatama’s Samadhi. There will be grand shows of fasts and satyagrahas by khadi brigades all over the country. Are we not ridiculing the great soul through these gestures? :cry:

YES the memory of Gandhiji is slowly fading from our mind. His concept of satyagraha has been diluted and is now used as a gimmick” says Saraswathi Gandhi, wife of Dr. Kanthilal Gandhi (grandson of Mahatma Gandhi). Satygraha according Gandhiji meant goodwill towards all, especially towards opponents. His prophetic message was not merely for India but for the entire world”
Now the younger generations believe in violence. They have eschewed the path of Satyagraha. She is agitated. It is the lust for power which makes politicians play ducks and drakes, with our system. How then, can the citizens expect the country to become prosperous? Of course, politicians are becoming are prosperous. Do any of the politicians know how much one kilo of sugar or rice costs?” :oops:
“Politicians who do not believe in Gandhian principles use it to achieve their selfish ends, because, Gandhiji’s name has a magic spell. He once said- “Only a Mahatma knows the woes of a Mahatma.” Trivializing his name is a sin” says noted critic, Professor Guptan Nair.

“Satyagraha means holding on to truth at any cost. There are only few true demonstrators who really hold truth so sacred. Hence most satyagrahis of today are only apologists” he says.

He is concerned about the dismal moral situation existing today. Individuals, organized groups, and governments flout legal principles. Organized crimes are excused by governments who want to hold on to power by hook or crook. He proposes a new kind of democracy. Let the majority rule and the runner up join the government for a sort of consensus rule.

“We have no satyagrahis today. Instead we have atyagrahis” syas Kalamamani Kumaresan, a Tamil writer settled in Thiruvananthapuram. According to Gandhiji, education without character, commerce without morality, science without humanity, politics without principles, wealth without work, worship without sacrifice pleasure without conscience are the seven deadly sins. Is there any body that adheres to these principles? He asked. Then how can we expect the next generation to respect Gandhi?
Society has lost its moral moorings and the sanctity of satyagraha is lost. :(

Gandhiji used SATYAGRAHA, as a means to attain social change and reformation. Now we use it as a means to achieve our selfish needs.

On March 30 1919, Satyagraha Day was observed all over the country. It continued till April 18. Satyagraha literally meant holding on to truth. AN adherent of Satyagraha makes a series of attempts to make his opponents listen to the voice of truth, instead of inflicting injury on him. A styagrahi’s faith in self-suffering is rooted in his conviction, that his opponent is intimately related to him. And so the latter cannot do any wrong to the former without causing injury to him. Evil and evil-doer has to be distinguished. This new experiment was successfully implemented in 1906. The first satyagraha campaign in protest against proposed Asiatic Ordinance directed against Indian immigrants in Transvaal.

In the BORSAD Satygraha Gandhuji asked all the satygraha to take a vow, to abide the following conditions.
I will put only hand spun and hand woven clothes
As long as I work as volunteer, I will remain non-violent in word and deed.

I will try to abolish the strain of untouchability.
I will obey the resolution of the satyagraha committee. I undertake all the work assigned to me. I will be prepared to meet all difficulties like jail life, beating, loss of life, without getting angry and violent.
I will strengthen the communal bonds,
I will not ask any help or myself or for my family in case I am sentenced to imprisonment.

When Gandhijis satyagraha resulted in agitation, he said: I am deeply sorry, for it. I am therefore here to submit, not to a light penalty, but to the highest penalty. I do not ask for mercy. I do not plead any extenuating act…”

That was Gandhiji submitting to a law foisted on the country and administered by an alien system. He admitted that the people had erred not in understanding what ahimsa meant and yet did not put him above the law. Our homage to Gandhiji is restricted to lip-service especially that of Satyagraha and non-violence. We inflict thousands of insults on this nation in the name of Gandhiji. And, yet, on every birthday of the man, on every birthday of the man, on every death anniversary, we hypocrites make a beeline, for the samadi.
We fool ourselves and others by staging grand shows of a day’s fast. For us Gandhiji is a mere ploy.
SHAME ON US!
:oops: [/tscii:925131bb65]

Braandan
31st January 2007, 10:33 AM
Who is Gandhiji?

Lambretta
31st January 2007, 02:47 PM
:roll: :?

Incidentally I've noticed tat the name Gandhi is always misspelt as Ghandi in the west.....I donno if this was based on an 'anglicised' pronounciation of the name or plain incorrect spelling......?

padmanabha
31st January 2007, 06:19 PM
that question of Lambretta reminds me of an incident that happened three or four years ago. in an ad by the PRD-instead of the picture of Gandhiji the ad agency "adjusted"with that of Ben Kingsley. WE noted it and - reported to the PRD and the Madhayma Vicharam a popular tv program on media. . we are yet to receive a reply from PRD. But it was highlighted in Madhyama vicharam.

Lambretta
31st January 2007, 08:11 PM
This is really astonishing! Incidentally, wat & where is PRD??

padmanabha
31st January 2007, 09:07 PM
PRD-THAT IS PUBLIC RELATIONS DEPARTMENT - THE GOVT OF KERALA-THEY GAVE THE AD IN CONNECTION WITH THE INDEPENDENTS DAY. THE JAW LINE WAS THE CLUE.
RECENTLY I HAVE SEEN PICTURES SOME PICTURES OF SREE CHITHIRA TIRUNAL THE LAST MAHARAJA OF TRAVANCORE, ARTISTS HAVE STRETCHED HIS EARLOBE AND IN DUE COURSE, THAT WILL BECOME THE REAL IMAGE.
WE HAVE TV THE POPULAR MEDIUM. WE CAN IDENTITIFY PEOPLE EASILY. STILL PEOPLE GO WRONG. THE MANORAMA YEAR BOOK HAS THE PICTURE OF DR. S RADHA KRISHNAN AND THE CAPTION IS GIVEN AS DR. RAJENDRA PRASAD.
AGAIN RECENTLY THE PAPER MADE ANOTHER GRAVE ERROR IN CONNECTION WITH THE PADMA AWARDS. GOPINATHAN MASTER WEAVER WAS AWARDED PADMASREE. BUT, THE PAPER CARRIED THE PICTURE OF THE MAGICIAN GOPINATHAN MUTHUKAD INSTEAD OF GOPINATHAN THE WEAVER. HOW DO YOU LIKE THAT?

temporary sori-Observer
31st January 2007, 09:25 PM
THEY GAVE THE AD IN CONNECTION WITH THE INDEPENDENTS DAY.
Are these independents working for this department? :fishgrin:

padmanabha
31st January 2007, 10:24 PM
[tscii:996688ef76]One more incident: It happened a few weeks ago. You might have read my articles- 1. A review on Atheetham (Malayalam film) and 2. on Krishnendu a kootiyattam artiste. (kootiyattam a family affair). These two write ups were published in the Indian Express. I filed the story on Atheetham first. The next day I filed the other story. As usual I e mailed the pictures correctly.
Next day I was initially happy to see two of my stories appearing in one page. (it do happen, but once in a blue moon). Suddenly I realized the mistake. There was no “separation” like color change, or lines between them or change in fonts between the write ups.
The article was about Krishendu. A picture of her performance accompanied the article. Also it carried one more picture –a still from atheetham-the hero and heroine sitting back to back-instead of Krishnendu and her husband (he is a mizhavu artiste and accompanies his wife on mizhavu).
On enquiry I was told that a new trainee journalist made this mistake.
[/tscii:996688ef76]

Braandan
2nd February 2007, 09:24 AM
nobody answered my question.

Lambretta
2nd February 2007, 11:16 PM
Braandan, I thot u wer merely being ironic wen asking tat qsn......? :o :roll:

Surya
3rd February 2007, 01:32 AM

He's the old bald fella who walked around in public without his shirt, with his hands around two 16 year old girls. 8-) Ppl call him Mahatma.

Aka Bappuji! :P

m_23_bayarea
3rd February 2007, 01:47 AM

He's the old bald fella who walked around in public without his shirt, with his hands around two 16 year old girls. 8-) Ppl call him Mahatma.

:o :shock: :o :roll:

crazy
3rd February 2007, 01:51 AM
:roll:

nice article Padmanabha!

Lambretta
4th February 2007, 11:48 PM

Semma bathul Suri machi! :P :lol:

Btw, its pronounced Baapuji tho...:)

podalangai
5th February 2007, 12:53 AM
Nanni, Padmanabha-chettan! :clap:

There are some speeches made by Mahatma Gandhi himself available online for downloading and listening, which some of you may like:

http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Category:Mohandas_K._Gandhi_speeches

Lambretta
6th February 2007, 11:01 PM
*DIG
Uh, I thot its "ettan" (elder bro.)?? :confused2: :roll:

/DIG

podalangai
7th February 2007, 03:23 AM

Just the difference between Malayalam spoken in North and South Kerala. :)

temporary sori-Observer
7th February 2007, 03:59 AM
Podal Sir, Lambirettan,

What does ettappan mean in MalayaaLam? :fishgrin:

Lambretta
7th February 2007, 09:36 AM
Lambirettan,
:shock: :evil: :roll:

Badri
7th February 2007, 09:45 AM
*DIG

/DIG

:rotfl:

Whether it is South or North Kerala, it doesnt matter. Our padmanabha is neither ettan nor chettan but chechi!! :)

P.S: I hope Padmanabha doesnt mind me setting the record straight in this case!

Lambretta
7th February 2007, 02:44 PM
:rotfl:

Whether it is South or North Kerala, it doesnt matter. Our padmanabha is neither ettan nor chettan but chechi!! :)
:shock: :roll:
Am reminded bout the time wen I realised wat dev was! :wink: :P :lol:

padmanabha
7th February 2007, 06:11 PM
Dear Badri,
i don't mind. why should i? Fact is a fact. also most of these articles are published ones. readers who come across the printed versions and the ones in this forum can easily find out. Also, all dailies are available on line. so there is no point in hiding the identity. i am a staunch believer of Lord Padmanabha. the temple is near my house. i visit there daily since my childhood. so i chose HIS name that is all.

temporary sori-Observer
8th February 2007, 08:16 AM
Whether it is South or North Kerala, it doesnt matter. Our padmanabha is neither ettan nor chettan
Ada BhagavaanE!
Intha thrread-ilum mukamoodi manitharkaLaa? :shock:

http://www.raaga.com/channels/tamil/movie/T0000222.html

pavalamani pragasam
8th February 2007, 08:30 AM
sarvam masquerade- mayam! :boo:

Sanguine Sridhar
8th February 2007, 08:46 AM

Surya,
Is that the only thing you know about Gandhiji? Hopefully your answer is just a sarcastic reply for Brandaan?!

Badri
8th February 2007, 09:27 AM
Dear Badri,
i don't mind. why should i? Fact is a fact. also most of these articles are published ones. readers who come across the printed versions and the ones in this forum can easily find out. Also, all dailies are available on line. so there is no point in hiding the identity. i am a staunch believer of Lord Padmanabha. the temple is near my house. i visit there daily since my childhood. so i chose HIS name that is all.

padmanabha: I guessed as much. Also, it reminds me of Swati Tirunal's mudra! And considering how knowledgeable and fond you are of music, it makes perfect sense too!

The reason why I had added that postscript was because we've had instances of people jealously guarding their identity and considered everything a breach of privacy. Hence was just playing it safe! :)

Badri
8th February 2007, 09:30 AM
Whether it is South or North Kerala, it doesnt matter. Our padmanabha is neither ettan nor chettan
Ada BhagavaanE!
Intha thrread-ilum mukamoodi manitharkaLaa? :shock:

http://www.raaga.com/channels/tamil/movie/T0000222.html

TSO, ithula mukamoodi enna irukku? Peru vechu thappa kanakittathu neenga! Ithula padmanabha-oda thappu yethum illaye?

Ithula enna masquerade? writers, composers...ivanga ellam punai peyar use panrathu sagajam thaaney?

Lambretta
8th February 2007, 09:51 AM
Surya,
Is that the only thing you know about Gandhiji? Hopefully your answer is just a sarcastic reply for Brandaan?!
Machi, cool down.....I'm sure tats wat Suri meant w/ such a reply....! :)

Btw, I found this link y'day to a really nice award-winning italian ad on telecom technology featuring......Gandhiji!!
Check it out:

http://www.epica-awards.org/assets/epica/2004/winners/film/flv/11071.htm#

Its simply awesome! :thumbsup: :D
Also unbelievable how the west seems to hav more admiration for this man than most of us Indians! :oops: :(

pavalamani pragasam
8th February 2007, 02:33 PM
Badri, we were just kidding, were remembering the jolly guessing game going on in the 'ulagam' thread for the past few days!

padmanabha
8th February 2007, 08:24 PM
HEY RAM

there are plenty of contributors with pseudonames. is it not?

pavalamani pragasam
8th February 2007, 10:47 PM
:yes: Not just pseudonyms but new avatars after repeated rebirths! :wink:

temporary sori-Observer
8th February 2007, 11:12 PM

most of these articles are published ones. readers who come across the printed versions and the ones in this forum can easily find out. Also, all dailies are available on line.

mEgam thaan nilavai moodumaa?
'mavusu' thaan kuRaiyumaa? :fishgrin:

mavusu - popularity.

(sixth)
http://www.musicindiaonline.com/music/tamil/s/movie_name.4312/

Lambretta
8th February 2007, 11:13 PM
:lol: :D

podalangai
9th February 2007, 01:43 AM
there are plenty of contributors with pseudonames. is it not?
Yes. For example, "Podalangai" (Tamil name for the vegetable called "padavalanga" in Malayalam) is not my real name either. :)

podalangai
9th February 2007, 02:31 AM
We are currently in the middle of the 100th anniversary of the first satyagraha campaign. :)

On September 11, 1906 (a more positive association for the date) three thousand Indians from all parts of Transvaal gathered in Johannesburg and took an oath that they would defy a new law which required them all to register their fingerprints and carry registration certificates. On November 30, 1907, which was the last date for registration, only 511 out of over 13,000 Indians in Transvaal had registered.

But that was only the start of a long campaign. Successive governments under Louis Botha and Jan Smuts were determined that this movement would not be allowed to succeed. They made promises, and broke them as soon as the Indians had done their bit. People were arrested. The Government even put pressure in other ways, such as declaring all marriages other than Christian ones invalid, thus making all children illegitimate and all wives concubines. But the satyagrahis persisted, and in June 1913 these laws were finally repealed.

It was in the course of this campaign that the name "satyagraha" was born. In December 1907, Gandhiji asked for suggestions for a name for this new form of peaceful resistance. His cousin Maganlal Gandhi suggested the name "sadagraha". Gandhiji liked the word, but felt it did not convey what he wanted to bring out. He changed it to "satyagraha", the force which born from truth. Truth (satya) implied love, he said, and when taken together with firmness (agraha), you had a force which none could resist.

One hundred years later, do we value satyagraha in India? Do our political classes have any respect for it? Gandhiji could successfully deploy satyagraha against Afrikaaner and British governments. Would we today be able to successfully deploy it against in India to right the many ills of our country?

dsath
9th February 2007, 04:00 PM
Gandhiji could successfully deploy satyagraha against Afrikaaner and British governments.
Successfully ??? May have been a success in a few incidents but on a bigger picture, the success rate of Satyagraha is poor.

Would we today be able to successfully deploy it against in India to right the many ills of our country?
We all know what happened to Medha Patkar and her cause Narmada Bachao Andolan.
Gandhi has a larger than life image and many of his thoughts and actions are hypocritical.

crazy
9th February 2007, 10:51 PM
:)

Surya
10th February 2007, 03:15 AM
Successfully ??? May have been a success in a few incidents but on a bigger picture, the success rate of Satyagraha is poor.

Gandhi has a larger than life image and many of his thoughts and actions are hypocritical.

:clap: :exactly:

With all due respect to him. :)

podalangai
11th February 2007, 05:21 AM

I was talking only about his first use of Satyagraha, against the Asiatics Registration law in South Africa, which was a success in that the law was repealed. :)

We all know what happened to Medha Patkar and her cause Narmada Bachao Andolan.
I worked with the NBA and Ms. Patkar for a time in the 90s. The less said about their tactics, the better. :roll: The extent to which it could be called "satyagraha" is debatable. In my opinion, it bore about as much resemblance to satyagraha as these "fasts" which our political masters love to take on do to those of other, nobler people who actually gave up their lives.

I'd rather not comment on the rest of your post. :)

Aandavan
22nd February 2007, 07:48 PM

Aka Bappuji! :P trademark RSS post :evil: :twisted:

thimuru
22nd February 2007, 09:08 PM

cha....this is a cheap remark on gandhi!

remember.....he achieved independence without losing many lives ....if we had involved in war...the scenario would had been different!

adikaradhu dhillu than...nenja nimithi adi vaangaradhum dhilluthan!

Lambretta
22nd February 2007, 10:40 PM
Aandavan, nilavu, chill u guys! Cudnt u see Surya was jus being sarcastic to Braandan's qsn.?? :roll: