PDA

View Full Version : Vote for our president Dr. Abdul Kalam

Erica
16th February 2007, 04:50 AM
Dear Friends,

Our Honourable President Dr. J. Abdul Kalam's 5 year period ends this year(2007) :cry: Some of our fellow Indians have started the following website for requesting the Govenrment to extend his service as a President for next 5 years :)

http://www.petitiononline.com/apj/

Please sign the petition and don't forget to forward this to your friends. so far there are 106240 signatures :D

Thanks

Braandan
16th February 2007, 11:24 AM
There is an electoral college consisting of all MPs and MLAs who would do this election. Why bother to sign this petition?

thimuru
16th February 2007, 02:43 PM
let him do some useful job other than being a rubber stamp...

Erica
16th February 2007, 08:00 PM
There is an electoral college consisting of all MPs and MLAs who would do this election. Why bother to sign this petition?
:exactly: ...but again, there's something called 'lobbying' which would influence the result of such elections...isn't it? .......this petition is just a small lobbyist :)

kannannn
16th February 2007, 09:21 PM
let him do some useful job other than being a rubber stamp...
Well said!! I lost all respect for him when he took up the president post. All he does there is a lot of empty talk about progress. It's time he came out and did some useful visible work on the ground.

Nakeeran
16th February 2007, 10:18 PM
Hi Kannann

When all the powers are vested with PM, what else can you expect from a President ?

Besides, he is a non-politician . So , the nuances of playing stupid games , are not his forte.

He cant launch new projects
He cant announce any new scheme / policy
He cant advocate any new system

Post of a President is to honour a great person. This is my opinion

thamizhvaanan
16th February 2007, 10:27 PM
Post of a President is to honour a great person. :confused2:

nakeeran, there were times where he could have been more provocative. He has been a very passive president so far. Having said that, I dont think history has been any different either... :?

Surya
17th February 2007, 05:51 AM
Didn't Dr.APJ say that he no longer wants to be the president after this 5 year term ended? :? Isn't that why he isn't contesting again?

Looks like Amithabh Bachan along with Somnath Chatterjee etc etc is also being considered for the next presidential Candidate. :? :banghead:

rocketboy
17th February 2007, 09:42 PM
According to my understanding no President can continue to remain in office for a second term. If I remember properly the last person to hold this prestigious post Narayan refused to contest for a second time for the same reason . The other factor was BJP refused to lobby for him.

And for those people who are saying Kalam sir hasn't done anything please
do you have any idea of his age? He is 70+

Which president made it a point to visit our brave soldiers at Siachen ?
Which president had the courage to fly in a Sukhoi super fighter plane?

I can go on and on.

And the Constitution of India clearly defines the powers of a President and for the uninitiated President is not powerful than the Parliament . i will give you an example. Suppose a bill is passed and it goes to the President for approval he has the right to endorse it or he can send it back to the House citing necessary reasons for his disapproval . Now the Parliament can either make necessary changes or it can resend the bill without making any changes. Now comes the very crucial point. When it comes for the second time , the President is bound to approve. And this power to veto does not extend to money bills. Once send it has to be approved . This one example is sufficient to prove what powers the President has in India. He is the head of the republic, the commander of the armed forces, he can make various appointements like appointing Chief Justice of the Supreme court but otherwise he is a dummy.

And let me cite one instance where Kalam sir surely showed he is a man of iron determination ( Surely he should have had/ has something which brought him to this position) . The bill to hold offices of profit was drafted in such a way that it allowed existing cabinet ministers who will otherwise some under scrutiny get a leeway. Kalam sir rejected and send it back to the house very well knowing the very intention for which the bill was drafted.
:clap: :thumbsup:

Again I can go on and on .

Yours truly got the oppurtunity to see him many times in person though
never had a chance to talk with him. Let me just reproduce what i overhead once while I was crossing his path . " Avanga 100 missiles produce panragana ... " . This was sometime very well after he had retired from service. See this man's dedication . I haven't seen something of this kind. He hasn't married for our country. What more sacrifice you want. Alas this is a country where people like Sachin are worshipped like Demi gods. What more can I expect from them.

And finally do you know what he has been doing all this time. He has been criss crossing the country visiting many schools , delivering many speeches and motivating the youngsters. Thats more important than working in an obscure locality and discovering something that is neither useful nor can be easily implemented.

The only fault with Kalam sir is he bit more than he could chew. His strength was in rocket science but he put a wrong foot when he forayed into manufacture of battle tanks ( I think the Arjun vehicle which was not a successful project due to its inferior war capabilities) . My friend had visited him while he was working at Avadi . He was singing words of praises about the man's simplicity and I couln't believe his words until I saw him in person . He is a very approachable person too. Maybe he is not techinically a very very brillaint person . But he had it in him to motivate others (He attributes this to Sathish Davan's influence) Btw does anyone know he served as the project director at ISRO and some successful projects were completed under his supervision?

Keep supporting Sachin :thumbsup:

Thanks for reading.

_ Abdul Kalam Fan

sandiyar_k
18th February 2007, 07:22 PM
Amitabh President-aa?? :banghead:

Erica
19th February 2007, 04:46 AM

http://news.oneindia.in/2007/02/18/i-am-not-worthy-becoming-president-amitabh.html

Rocketboy :clap: :clap:

bingleguy
19th February 2007, 05:02 AM

http://news.oneindia.in/2007/02/18/i-am-not-worthy-becoming-president-amitabh.html

:roll: no comments on the same ....

Wibha
19th February 2007, 06:12 AM
Didn't Dr.APJ say that he no longer wants to be the president after this 5 year term ended? :? Isn't that why he isn't contesting again?

Looks like Amithabh Bachan along with Somnath Chatterjee etc etc is also being considered for the next presidential Candidate. :? :banghead:

yea its' true dat amitabh may be elected president :roll: ....but Dr APJ is da best :thumbsup: i can't believe his term is over :cry2: :cry2:

Dr APJ sure doesn't wanna b the president anymore :cry2:

Wibha
19th February 2007, 06:20 AM

:shock: do ppl really say dat?

Which president made it a point to visit our brave soldiers at Siachen ?
Which president had the courage to fly in a Sukhoi super fighter plane?

I can go on and on.

And finally do you know what he has been doing all this time. He has been criss crossing the country visiting many schools , delivering many speeches and motivating the youngsters. Thats more important than working in an obscure locality and discovering something that is neither useful nor can be easily implemented.

The only fault with Kalam sir is he bit more than he could chew. His strength was in rocket science but he put a wrong foot when he forayed into manufacture of battle tanks ( I think the Arjun vehicle which was not a successful project due to its inferior war capabilities) .

:clap: Dr APJ did a very gud job.and he's like the MOST talented president in the whole world........ hats off to APJ sir :clap:

kannannn
19th February 2007, 08:38 PM
According to my understanding no President can continue to remain in office for a second term.
There is no such provision. The decision to contest is entirely upto the person concerned (of course if he is nominated).

That makes it all the more imperative that he spend his active days in more fruitful work.

rocketboy, I am not denying Dr. Kalam's achievements as an administrator before his ascendency to presidency. He sure deserves all the praises and honors that come his way. If being president is his is idea of retirement, that is fine by me. My only grouse is his timing. Atleast Anna University could have benefited more in terms of increased facilities and collaboration with government establishments had he chosen to stay away from the Presidential race.

Sanguine Sridhar
20th February 2007, 08:37 AM
power-ey illadha oru post-ku yaar irundha ennaba!? :roll:

thamizhvaanan
20th February 2007, 09:02 AM
My only grouse is his timing. Atleast Anna University could have benefited more in terms of increased facilities and collaboration with government establishments had he chosen to stay away from the Presidential race. :yes: Last year all the students in Anna university signed a petition to president asking him to interfere with the appointment of Viswanathan as VC of anna university. While I didn expect him to make any drastic decisions, I got furious when he went on to hold several meetings with viswanathan and attended so many functions with him. Call it diplomacy, but I expected him to be atleast a little bit critical towards the actions of that hypocrite :irked: