PDA

View Full Version : Do Northies hate South Indians?

unhappyboy
21st February 2007, 05:51 PM
This article truly is enlightening.

http://www.dailypioneer.com/columnist1.asp?main_variable=Columnist&file_name=surya%2Fsurya25.txt&writer=surya

Shakthiprabha.
21st February 2007, 07:11 PM
:clap:

well said.

Though reg shahrukh's comment, MAY BE HE THOUGHT, he is lightening the moment.

Even then, a host of a big show, should know to control and simmer down on what he talks.

Shakthiprabha.
21st February 2007, 07:15 PM
I have a mangalorean friend of mine, who is very dark.

oNCE SHE was planning a trip to tamilnadu and her comment was...

"eeks.. who is gonna look at men there!
They are all DARK AND YUCKY looking!"

I seriously FELT LIKE SLAPPING HER HARD for such a rude comment.

PPL dont even turn to look at them before commenting.

Even otherwise WHO THE HE*LL SAID dark ppl are ugly.

As the article rightly points out...

"HOW MANY MEN OUT THERE can put a matrimony ad, SAYING, 'we want DARK good looking girl?!!!"

TALK TO URSELVES INDIANS!!

unhappyboy
21st February 2007, 07:17 PM

well said.

Though reg shahrukh's comment, MAY BE HE THOUGHT, he is lightening the moment.

Even then, a host of a big show, should know to control and simmer down on what he talks.

The man's over 40, he isn't a kid. He should know (and show) some basic courtesy. The central point of the thread, however, is the attitude of Northies, who cry and complain about racism in the west, but practice it on their own back home. :twisted: Now that's hypocritical.

unhappyboy
21st February 2007, 07:27 PM
I have a mangalorean friend of mine, who is very dark.

oNCE SHE was planning a trip to tamilnadu and her comment was...

"eeks.. who is gonna look at men there!
They are all DARK AND YUCKY looking!"

I seriously FELT LIKE SLAPPING HER HARD for such a rude comment.

PPL dont even turn to look at them before commenting.

Even otherwise WHO THE HE*LL SAID dark ppl are ugly.

As the article rightly points out...

"HOW MANY MEN OUT THERE can put a matrimony ad, SAYING, 'we want DARK good looking girl?!!!"

TALK TO URSELVES INDIANS!!

This isn't very surprising, though. Slaves want to emulate their masters, and since most conquerors were fair-skinned Europeans, people want to look fair. Suppose the conquerors had been black, then most people would prefer that color over anything else.

The same thing applies to clothing, language, music etc. A guy who wears jeans in a tropical nation isn't doing so out of comfort or preference. It's because conquerors set terms and "the conquered" follows. It's that simple.

Shakthiprabha.
21st February 2007, 07:51 PM
This isn't very surprising, though. Slaves want to emulate their masters, and since most conquerors were fair-skinned Europeans, people want to look fair. Suppose the conquerors had been black, then most people would prefer that color over anything else.

The same thing applies to clothing, language, music etc. A guy who wears jeans in a tropical nation isn't doing so out of comfort or preference. It's because conquerors set terms and "the conquered" follows. It's that simple.

u have an undisputable point :|

dsath
21st February 2007, 08:06 PM

I wonder why the salwar/chudihar has become so popular.
Please don't say that the Punjabi's are superior whites and the whole of India want to follow them. Give it a break.

podalangai
21st February 2007, 08:22 PM
Not having worn a salwar chudidhar or a sari, I'm not in a position to comment. :D

But, seriously, no one can say that a shirt, trouser and tie are more comfortable than a vetti and jubba in Tamil Nadu. Yet most men wear the former today. It has more to do with the fact that we think western clothing looks smarter, more professional, and so on.

Isn't it likely that the adoption of North Indian or Western clothing by women is at least partly caused by the same factors? :)

dsath
21st February 2007, 08:37 PM
Not having worn a salwar chudidhar or a sari, I'm not in a position to comment. :D

:lol:

But, seriously, no one can say that a shirt, trouser and tie are more comfortable than a vetti and jubba in Tamil Nadu. Yet most men wear the former today. It has more to do with the fact that we think western clothing looks smarter, more professional, and so on.

Can't comment on that - never owned a vetti.
Why do the Japanese or the Thai (who proudly proclaim that they have never been colonized) opt for western wear.

Isn't it likely that the adoption of North Indian or Western clothing by women is at least partly caused by the same factors? :)
Hmm i doubt it Podalangai. Even though each region has its unique style for wearing a sari, the one preferred and accepted is the normal one, which has its origin in South.

unhappyboy
21st February 2007, 08:40 PM
Please don't say that the Punjabi's are superior whites and the whole of India want to follow them. Give it a break.

You've answered your question. :D Just as Indians feel inferior to the white people who conquered them, SIs feel inferior to NIs vis-a-vis lighter color. Easy, na?

podalangai
21st February 2007, 08:46 PM
Why do the Japanese or the Thai (who proudly proclaim that they have never been colonized) opt for western wear.

In Thailand, it was because King Chulalangkorn outlawed the use of Thai clothing and compelled everyone to switch to western clothing as part of his modernisation of Thai society. In Japan, the move to western wear was a direct consequence of the Meiji restoration, which was caused by the shock of Commodore Perry's humiliation of Japan, and the deliberate decision to break with traditional Japanese governance and society. So in both cases, it was part of a desire to imitate the west, because their economic and political ways were believed to be superior (and the latter may well be true, but the question is whether it necessitated the former).

thamizhvaanan
21st February 2007, 08:51 PM
I dont think South'ies ever feel inferior to North indians. And that is one reason why they tend to look down at Southies. And regarding the conqueror principle, in history, during biblical times, most of the caucasoids were ruled by black Egyptians. Then why did black become so uncool? :huh:

Erica
21st February 2007, 08:53 PM
This article truly is enlightening.

http://www.dailypioneer.com/columnist1.asp?main_variable=Columnist&file_name=surya%2Fsurya25.txt&writer=surya
interesting article :cool:

Do Northies hate Southies?......as far as i know the answer is "not all..... but a majority of them do hate southies" ...but do they hate all southies???..my answer for this is " No...they hate Tamilians the most" :roll:......i may be wrong but, i'm saying this out of my own experience.

I did a one year residential program in India a couple years back. we had nearly 90 students in my class and 70% of them were Northies. There were just 4 Tamil guys and i've seen them being treated very badly than other southies :evil: ...talking abt looks, yes Northie Girls have this superior we_look_better attitude but i don't see that in Northie Guys :? ........we usually have a self awareness class every week and were allowed to disccuss any topic.... we had this North vs South discussions twice and to my surprise South was considered as just 'Tamilians'.....nobody talked abt other southern states or language. North India won the debate both the times b'cos they were very good in argument and our poor guys gave up finally.....i too lost the battle and i remember me sitting there like a doll and watching all the drama..... :oops:

two years back, i was just talking to some of my friends in our company lounge......everyone knows me only as a Telugu girl :P ........i got a phone call and i answered in Tamil. There was this Gujju guy, who looked at me strangely and asked
"what language was that?"
i said "It's Tamil"
....."so, are you a Tamilian" ....he sounded a bit rough.
I said "No...any problem?"
he then smiled and said, "Oh..okay....nothing yaar. I just hate madarasi's"
:shock: I was shocked and asked, "Excuse me....madarasi's as in South indians or madarasi's as in Tamilians"
He spontaneously replied " Tamiliaans"
i was like :roll: ......."but why?"
he said "b'cos Tamil people hate Hindi and northies"

This is the attitude many northie's carry when it comes to Tamilians :cry:

kannannn
21st February 2007, 09:00 PM
I dont think South'ies ever feel inferior to North indians. And that is one reason why they tend to look down at Southies. And regarding the conqueror principle, in history, during biblical times, most of the caucasoids were ruled by black Egyptians. Then why did black become so uncool? :huh:
Because, Jews were the God's chosen people and they were white.

thamizhvaanan
21st February 2007, 09:07 PM
yes... thats the popular notion!

When we conducted tech fest in our college we had participants from all over india. Being the event-cood, most of the participants were very humble towards me, but still I got some troublesome questions from one of the participants.

He asked how come you call urself as an indian when u are ignoring Hindi which is our national language? :banghead:

But! excuse me.... do we have to learn hindi to become indians? :huh: :huh: Does it mean that the northies are born indians and we all have to undertake a course to become indians? :banghead:

thanks to the political intentions of our predecessors we are saved from this disgrace of being a second rate citizen. But when will N. Indians recognize this? :huh:

thamizhvaanan
21st February 2007, 09:10 PM
Because, Jews were the God's chosen people and they were white. religion does it right???... everytime??? :irked:

dsath
21st February 2007, 09:11 PM

You've answered your question. :D Just as Indians feel inferior to the white people who conquered them, SIs feel inferior to NIs vis-a-vis lighter color. Easy, na?
I strongly disagree with your statement that South Indians feel inferior to North Indians because of the skin tone. The colour issue has never been a major deal before not long (say 20 yrs ago). A good example is our movies. Both heroes and heroines in darker shades have succeeded in the past. All this hype on fairness is relatively new.
Well i thought that the success of salwar was obvious - ease and convenience. If anything we tend to float our supposed intellectual superiority with all those silly sardar jokes.

kannannn
21st February 2007, 09:16 PM
Because, Jews were the God's chosen people and they were white. religion does it right???... everytime??? :irked:
TV, nandru sonneer. I've often wondered how far Christianity would have spread, had Jesus been black!!

dsath
21st February 2007, 09:18 PM
.. we had this North vs South discussions twice and to my surprise South was considered as just 'Tamilians'.....nobody talked abt other southern states or language. North India won the debate both the times b'cos they were very good in argument and our poor guys gave up finally.....i too lost the battle and i remember me sitting there like a doll and watching all the drama..... :oops:

Hmm this is the case with most Indians South-North-East-West. How many of us know what language the people in Himachal Pradesh speak or what is the staple food of Nagaland without resorting to Google?

thamizhvaanan
21st February 2007, 09:20 PM
Well i thought that the success of salwar was obvious - ease and convenience. Yes!! same is the case with veshtis I guess. podalai... see this link for eg., :wink:

http://tsgowrishankar.blogspot.com/2006/05/special-veshti-award-conferred-on.html

Erica
21st February 2007, 10:02 PM
But! excuse me.... do we have to learn hindi to become indians? :huh: :huh: Does it mean that the northies are born indians and we all have to undertake a course to become indians? :banghead:

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

podalangai
21st February 2007, 10:27 PM
Yes!! same is the case with veshtis I guess. podalai... see this link for eg., :wink:

http://tsgowrishankar.blogspot.com/2006/05/special-veshti-award-conferred-on.html

Heh. I don't understand this feeling people have that vettis are not easy to keep on. I've ascended Tiruvengadam, Ahobilam, Pazhani, and several other temples clad in a vetti. For three years in college, I wore one to class every day. Maybe it's because I grew up wearing it, I dunno.

But anyway, if keeping a vetti up is difficult, then why have folk chosen to wear trousers instead of simply putting a hook on the vetti? :wink:

podalangai
21st February 2007, 10:31 PM
Well i thought that the success of salwar was obvious - ease and convenience.

My wife assures me that a sari is at least as convenient and comfortable as a salwar kameez and, in her opinion, even a little more so. But yes, I have heard many say that a salwar kameez is more convenient.

crazy
22nd February 2007, 12:14 AM
interesting :)

Sanguine Sridhar
22nd February 2007, 08:38 AM
Thats is an interesting article, not only in India same kind of mentality exist in Singapore also!

I was traveling in a cab, the driver(proper singaporean) was talking well with us. Suddenly he asked

"You are from north India?"

I said "No, why?"

"Well, South Indians are very dark and North Indians are bit fair"

I got :shock:

Skin colour-la enna irrukku :( ?

Sanguine Sridhar
22nd February 2007, 08:47 AM
Between I am not fair like North Indians but like proper Tamizhan - maaniram :lol:

Shakthiprabha.
22nd February 2007, 08:50 AM
:shock: I was shocked and asked, "Excuse me....madarasi's as in South indians or madarasi's as in Tamilians"
He spontaneously replied " Tamiliaans"
i was like :roll: ......."but why?"

point to ponder!

Shakthiprabha.
22nd February 2007, 08:59 AM
He asked how come you call urself as an indian when u are ignoring Hindi which is our national language? :banghead:

thanks to the political intentions of our predecessors we are saved from this disgrace of being a second rate citizen. But when will N. Indians recognize this? :huh:

tv,

we being a COUNTRY WITH so many varied languages UNFORTUNATELY, tell me WHAT SHOULD ONE DO to communicate IN A SINGLE LANGUAGE thro out the nation?

Chose the common language known to all right?

IS THERE ANY PROBLEM THEN, in accepting some language as national language?

Sanguine Sridhar
22nd February 2007, 08:59 AM
No Tamizh people will hate Northies for no reason (apart from politics I am telling this).

Shakthiprabha.
22nd February 2007, 09:05 AM
Why sridhar?
No reason at all?

Then definitely dont u think deep down we have to agree that as unhappy boy quoted, ITS ALL TO DO WITH complexion.

We feel jealous! simple!

I ask the question again.

HOW MANY SOUTHIES here, ask in matrimonial ad,

"goodlooking dark girl?"

"goodlooking FAIRR girl" is mentioned aint not?

If nobody feels inferior, DARK COMPLEXION is not a disease, THEN WHY DOES FAIR AND LOVELY SELL LIKE HOT CAKES !!!

We dont turn back to look at dirt stuck in our backs before we talk bout others.

bingleguy
22nd February 2007, 09:09 AM

Well said .... ! this could be one common impression that a person who is from the north carry ......

i would somewhat accept the factor that this racial discrimination of color plays a major factor ! they generally address the southies as madrasis ,... which had been a common word .....

but in contrast ... i have a very good set of North Indian friends who form a part of my close circle ..... i ve indulged myself in a sort of grazing this grassland recently ... :-) would be coming up soon with a seed from it ..... :-)

Sanguine Sridhar
22nd February 2007, 09:15 AM
km,

idhu oru nalla kelvi!! :lol:

nalla fair-a irrukura pasanga dark-a irrukura ponnungala kalyanam pannika konjam yosipaanga so as vice-versa!

sindhikka vendiya vishayam!

Sanguine Sridhar
22nd February 2007, 09:18 AM
km oru kelvi, ungga ponnu valandha pinna neengale ippadi oru advertisement kodupeengala? Maaten-nu sonnengana adhu thaan ungga question-kaana vidai!

Designer
22nd February 2007, 09:40 AM
Based on my experiences after living in North india for many years, I found that most North Indians DO NOT HATE South indians per se. But they hated to hear us speak in English, and used to call even SIs talking English out of necessity (unlike 'Peter' vidara English), as 'angrEz' (meaning Englishman), and some NIs even used to verbally abuse such English speaking SIs (I have seen it happen to my friends while in Delhi).

And they also look down upon southies as a lesser qualified species compared to themselves and, label all SIs as 'madhraasis'. Sometimes even Bengalis were called 'madhraasis', because the ladies of that community also wear nose rings like southies. The reasons for the NIs' prejudice is, IMO could be bcos the SIs are a less aggressive people compared to the NIs and we are definitely more dark skinned when taken as a whole. The aggressiveness of NIs can be attributed to historical reasons and the fair complexion to the cold climate and similar factors.

Another factor for the NI's prejudice could be that, generally SI's are more brainy (cerebral & mathematically capable) than NIs, and used to corner plum govenment posts which the Punjabi, or Haryanavi, or UP-ite could not get. However even though SIs are more brainy, we werent aggressive and enterprising enough (till in recent decades) in marketing ourselves to gain monetary wise. Hence till recently we couldnt make our mark in the International Business fora as compared to NIs, Sindhis, Gujjus, Marwadis,etc. Its only after the advent of SIs like Narayana Murthy (Infosys) that our stock has risen in the international business community.

For eg, just look at our day to day consumer goods - most of them are manufactured in some state north of the Vindhyas. Its only in recent decades that (due to software boom), SIs have become equally enterprising & aggressive like the NIs; and the Great Divide is narrowing IMO.

One more thing - whether we like it or not, fair complexions are preferred by most people - if not why are fairness creams selling hotter than freebies? Reg why do prospective grooms always ask for a fair bride, maybe bcos they feel that fate has been un'fair' in making them slightly dark complexioned and if the wife is also dark, then the chances of the offsprings being born dark will also be high. But I have read somewhere that girls in certain South American countries prefer dark skinned males :o. Moreover even the prospective groom's mother proudly tells her friends - my daughter in law looks beautiful like Goddess Lakshmi !

Thats why as our dear friend (and well known comedian) Mr.Senthil wisely opined in a popular film, poNdaattiyaavathu segappaa irunthaal, porakkara kozhanthaiyum segappa irukkum. illaatti, ennai mathri kavithu vechcha aamai Ottula kariya poosina mathri attai kariya irukkum; illaatti iluppa chetti kari colorla irukkum. :smile2:

thamizhvaanan
22nd February 2007, 10:09 AM
For eg, just look at our day to day consumer goods - most of them are manufactured in some state north of the Vindhyas. Its only in recent decades that (due to software boom), SIs have become equally enterprising & aggressive like the NIs; and the Great Divide is narrowing IMO. Bang on target!! :thumbsup:

Even in industrialised cities downsouth like Coimbatore, a good proportion of the enterpreneurs are North Indians. So, mostly S.Indians have been employees rather than employers... And the divide is narrowing, moreso in industrial sector rather than consumer goods. Because of our recent trade policy, SI is attracting more FDIs. And this has spurred on lots of small scale industries. The preference for S.India by mahor companises is more than obvious for a multitude of reasons.

thamizhvaanan
22nd February 2007, 10:24 AM
do we have to learn hindi to become indians? :huh: :huh: Does it mean that the northies are born indians and we all have to undertake a course to become indians? :banghead:

tv,

we being a COUNTRY WITH so many varied languages UNFORTUNATELY, tell me WHAT SHOULD ONE DO to communicate IN A SINGLE LANGUAGE thro out the nation?

IS THERE ANY PROBLEM THEN, in accepting some language as national language? a) If my point is valid, then a foreign language (such as english) is a FAIR substitute which would be equal on all citizens.
b) there need not be a SINGLE LANGUAGE for communications. Examples are right infront of our eyes where countries like Singapore and malaysia have more than one national language. I will dwell upon this later on.

AFAIK, the proposal for single national language for India and making it the lingua franca was put forth by Gandhiji. It is according to his philosophy that Hindi should be imposed on all Indians.

One should consider the political scenario under which he voiced his opinions. After WWII the whole world was in a fix, whether to go for Capitalism or Communism. An India and its mentors were always predisposed towards communism that they opted for a milder version of it - Socialism.

One key aspect of communism is that all the divides within human race must be eliminated. One language, One (or NO :P) religion etc., I guess Gandhi was also in for this utopian scenrario. This disposition towards communism led to policies such as Single national language and Closed door trading. As history would tell, both turned out to be insufficient if not damagin policies.

unhappyboy
22nd February 2007, 11:24 AM
Based on my experiences after living in North india for many years, I found that most North Indians DO NOT HATE South indians per se. But they hated to hear us speak in English, and used to call even SIs talking English out of necessity (unlike 'Peter' vidara English), as 'angrEz' (meaning Englishman), and some NIs even used to verbally abuse such English speaking SIs (I have seen it happen to my friends while in Delhi).

Funny how these dumb NIs drool over whiteys who can't speak Hindi, but refuse to extend the same courtesy to SIs, who also face similar problems. :lol: If whiteys can't speak Hindi, these NIs justify it by saying they're from another country etc. etc. But SIs are also brought up to speak their respective languages, so why the hell do NIs expect them to speak Hindi?

hi
22nd February 2007, 11:52 AM
One northy girl came for internship to my company

she was saying.. madrasi are dark ppl,yucky..full of oil in hair and not westernised as bombay guys / girls.. i was :shock:

life will be boring to get settle in southindai as everyone is conservative ...

i replied her... we r more cultured than u bombay girls :P

Designer
22nd February 2007, 12:08 PM

she was saying.. madrasi are dark ppl,yucky..full of oil in hair and not westernised as bombay guys / girls.. i was :shock:

Anjali : well said :thumbsup:

unhappyboy : that should answer part of your question. We southies are not only more cultured than NIs, but are also more broadminded reg accepting, accommodating people from other cultures and treating them with courtesy. But northies (in North india), though possibly broad bodied than us, are narrow minded when interacting with southies. They tend to criticise the southies' English accent and even for not being able to speak Hindi. They tend to project as if everything originating in the North is good and tasteful (eg Music, Movies, etc) and, everything connected with south indians is not upto their so called benchmark.

Aside : enakku neenda naaLa oru aasai. oru North Indian-ai puduchittu vanthu solla vekkaNum - "vyazhakkizhamai vaazhai pazhaththil vazhukku vazhukku vizhunthaan" . :fishgrin: . apdi avan (or avaL, athu) solla thavarinaal, oru Latthi-aala lottu lottu nu muttikki mutti thattaNum :evil:

Wibha
22nd February 2007, 12:25 PM
one most annoying thing in northies is dat....... Majority think V as south Indians are illiterate...and dey think that we are like some aliens settled in their country......... this is so ridiculous....... it's okay if v learn hindi as it's our national language and all of us are proud to know it....... even though v r in da same country a NI will not know many of our cultures........ dey forget the fact that all of us r indians and den r respective language or religious ppl :S ..............da worst of all. some ppl continue da distinction of NI and SI even in oder countries :banghead:

crazy
22nd February 2007, 12:41 PM
:)

ksen
22nd February 2007, 01:13 PM
enakku neenda naaLa oru aasai. oru North Indian-ai puduchittu vanthu solla vekkaNum - "vyazhakkizhamai vaazhai pazhaththil vazhukku vazhukku vizhunthaan" . :fishgrin: . apdi avan (or avaL, athu) solla thavarinaal, oru Latthi-aala lottu lottu nu muttikki mutti thattaNum :evil:

indha zha business paadhi tamiliansukke varaadhu :) palani, vaalaipalam thaan :D . You know mallusOda standard joke on TamiliansE idhudhaan :) Ragging maadhiri pazhamnu solla vachu sirippaanga :)

Designer
22nd February 2007, 01:42 PM
enakku neenda naaLa oru aasai. oru North Indian-ai puduchittu vanthu solla vekkaNum - "vyazhakkizhamai vaazhai pazhaththil vazhukku vazhukku vizhunthaan" . :fishgrin: . apdi avan (or avaL, athu) solla thavarinaal, oru Latthi-aala lottu lottu nu muttikki mutti thattaNum :evil:

indha zha business paadhi tamiliansukke varaadhu :) palani, vaalaipalam thaan :D . You know mallusOda standard joke on TamiliansE idhudhaan :) Ragging maadhiri pazhamnu solla vachu sirippaanga :)

ksen : sila thamizhargaLu 'zha' na varaathunnu naan Chennai vanthathum therinjukittEn. apdi irukkarche, oru NI ku innum kashtama irukkum, athanaale thaan oru NI-ai pudichi intha verbal torture paNNaNum enRu oru aasai :froggrin:

thamizhvaanan
22nd February 2007, 02:13 PM
Funny how these dumb NIs drool over whiteys who can't speak Hindi, but refuse to extend the same courtesy to SIs, who also face similar problems. pls abstain from making derogatory remarks... :roll:

dsath
22nd February 2007, 03:06 PM
[tscii:6e186a9da3]Makes me think that awareness in Indians about fellow Indians is very less. We always accuse North Indians of generalizing South Indians as Madarasis while we do the same thing - generalize the whole of North India, while each state has its own independent flavour.
We (South Indians) don’t know much about other states except the South Indian states. The same is the case with other state people as well. When one of my Bengali friends came to our home she was so curious about our Wet grinder.
What I am trying to say is that, its ignorance which results in certain stereotypes that is causing such attitudes.
About the clothes issue - one need not necessarily have the conqueror/conquered relationship to adopt lifestyle changes (like clothes and food).
[/tscii:6e186a9da3]

Shakthiprabha.
22nd February 2007, 03:11 PM
km oru kelvi, ungga ponnu valandha pinna neengale ippadi oru advertisement kodupeengala? Maaten-nu sonnengana adhu thaan ungga question-kaana vidai!

Kudukka MATTEN sridhar.

I dont believe IN ADVERTISING for life partners.
I dont believe IN ARRANGING marriages.

I want her to FALL IN LOVE with a nice person, COMPLEXION or whatever if she is happy, THATS ALL BOUT IT.

I would just want A NICE HUMAN BEING as my son in law. thats it.

Aandavan
22nd February 2007, 03:13 PM
tv,

IS THERE ANY PROBLEM THEN, in accepting some language as national language? :evil: :evil: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: is hindi known to all????????? is it the common language???? :evil: :twisted:

Anoushka
22nd February 2007, 03:15 PM
I read the article and I should say I watch KBC now regularly... in yesterday's episode Shahrukh did exactly the same thing with a Gujrathi guy... asked him about his name and finally it was shortened to DJ :lol: Will this be considered as a discrimiation against Gujarathis? :)

Shakthiprabha.
22nd February 2007, 03:16 PM
It is known to majority aandavan :|

Why such discrimination to a FELLOW INDIAN LANGUAGE and warm welcome TO A FOREIGN language?

That question simply BEATS ME!

dsath
22nd February 2007, 03:19 PM
tv,

IS THERE ANY PROBLEM THEN, in accepting some language as national language? :evil: :evil: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: is hindi known to all????????? is it the common language???? :evil: :twisted:
As TV has rightly pointed out, it was our leaders leaning towards the Soviet model, that made them impose Hindi as the only national language. Thanks God for democracy (which the same leaders advocated) that we were able to maintain our pluralism. Else we would have faced the same fate as Soviet Union - breaking up.

Anoushka
22nd February 2007, 03:22 PM
And what are we complaining about Northies discriminating against Southies?

I've faced more problems as a Tamilian student in a Kerala school than as a Tamilian working in Bombay or Baroda....

Shakthi when the Singapore can have more than one National Language, when the Belgians can accept French & Flemish (Dutch) - Both much much smaller compared to India... why do we need one common language? :) I am not against Hindi, I can speak, read and write Hindi fluently but I am against this forcing one National Language on people...

dsath
22nd February 2007, 03:23 PM
[tscii:f0367f6fcf]

Why such discrimination to a FELLOW INDIAN LANGUAGE and warm welcome TO A FOREIGN language?

That question simply BEATS ME!Remember having this discussion in the hub sometime ago. In today’s India English is no one's mother tongue. Hence emotional attachment towards that language by a certain group is not possible.This makes it makes it easy for us to accept that language.[/tscii:f0367f6fcf]

Shakthiprabha.
22nd February 2007, 03:24 PM
Anou did u watch, "Salaam namaste"

They did a solid joke of a mallu guy's english accent, TO SIMMER IT DOWN, a punjabi :? guy's role was with funny english grammer UNWANTEDLY brought in.

Its been happening from the age of doordarshan days, mostly a tamil iyer guy (I WONDER WHY ALWAYS IYERS are brought in :GRRR: ) would be talking a suffocating hindi, which would choke the breath out of us.

I HATE to watch MAHMOOD'S role in hindi verson of ADUTHA VEETU pen.

Also, its funny to realise, that WE DO PORTRAY SOME NORTHY as always 'SETTU' and make then talk dumb tamizh

"nambilki, nimbilki " etc

Undisputedly equal distribution of blames.

Aandavan
22nd February 2007, 03:31 PM

That question simply BEATS ME! why did they impose hindi on us?????????

in india we have more crows than peacocks !!!! why crow is not the national bird???? 8-)

Anoushka
22nd February 2007, 03:33 PM
Anou did u watch, "Salaam namaste"

They did a solid joke of a mallu guy's english accent, TO SIMMER IT DOWN, a punjabi :? guy's role was with funny english grammer UNWANTEDLY brought in.

Its been happening from the age of doordarshan days, mostly a tamil iyer guy (I WONDER WHY ALWAYS IYERS are brought in :GRRR: ) would be talking a suffocating hindi, which would choke the breath out of us.

I HATE to watch MAHMOOD'S role in hindi verson of ADUTHA VEETU pen.

Also, its funny to realise, that WE DO PORTRAY SOME NORTHY as always 'SETTU' and make then talk dumb tamizh

"nambilki, nimbilki " etc

Undisputedly equal distribution of blames.

Shakthi: :) True... in movies, stories, jokes..... a Malayali always has a heavy Malayali accent like "Simbly"... a Tamil guy speaks with a heavy Tamil accent, A Sardar never has any brains,...etc... People watch these in movies and expect the same in reality...

I have to tell you this..... when I first came to Ireland nearly 9 years ago, my team mates were informed that there was this new Indian going to join the team and they were asked to talk slowly so that I could understand clearly what they were saying... (their perception from what they had heard, read & seen)... Funnily enough I did not have any accent, I was talking faster than they did and I was having a great time! :lol:

This happens world wide and when you travel so much and see what is going on, you just learn to laugh at it! :)

dsath
22nd February 2007, 03:35 PM
when the Belgians can accept French & Flemish (Dutch)
Do they Anou ??? Don't they have differences within themselves between French and Dutch speaking people? One of my colleagues who happen to be a Dutch Belgian always complains that the authorities have their forms in French forcing non-French to learn French.

chevy
22nd February 2007, 03:39 PM
OMG!! .. i saw this thread yest. n it was onli on da first page... and now ???? wow .. this is a hot topic !! ..
got lots to say .. bt i ll make it short..
frm som northi frns ..
but this whole topic disgusts me .. come on .. we are all citizens of the same country .. i jus so much so hate this topic ..

Anoushka
22nd February 2007, 03:49 PM
when the Belgians can accept French & Flemish (Dutch)
Do they Anou ??? Don't they have differences within themselves between French and Dutch speaking people? One of my colleagues who happen to be a Dutch Belgian always complains that the authorities have their forms in French forcing non-French to learn French.

Probably you are right dsath... I am not sure as my Flemish speaking Belgian friend (who is now teaching English in China) has never complained about this! May be because he was from North Belgium and most of them speak Flemish there.

But I should say that I have heard about conflicts based on language there too!

chevy
22nd February 2007, 08:10 PM

That question simply BEATS ME! no .. come on .hindi is definately not .. a language known to all .. even my bengali frn loathes hindi ... come on .. ofcourse i understand we need a national lang .. but which ??? . .i dunno .. english??? wud it be rite to hav a lang tht originated outside india to be the indian national lang???. bt at the same time . undeniably if english is the national lang.. ther wont ny fite as to whether a north indian or a south indian lang shud be taken as the national lang..
hmm..we ve lived all the yrs wid hindi .. as national lang .. for wat reason i hav no clue.... bt watever it is.. i jus dont like this sort of a linguism in the country .. sad

chevy

That question simply BEATS ME! no .. come on .hindi is definately not .. a language known to all .. even my bengali frn loathes hindi ... come on .. ofcourse i understand we need a national lang .. but which ??? . .i dunno .. english??? wud it be rite to hav a lang tht originated outside india to be the indian national lang???. bt at the same time . undeniably if english is the national lang.. ther wont ny fite as to whether a north indian or a south indian lang shud be taken as the national lang..
hmm..we ve lived all the yrs wid hindi .. as national lang .. for wat reason i hav no clue.... bt watever it is.. i jus dont like this sort of a linguism in the country .. sad

chevy

chevy
22nd February 2007, 08:12 PM

Kudukka MATTEN sridhar.

I want her to FALL IN LOVE with a nice person, COMPLEXION or whatever if she is happy, THATS ALL BOUT IT.

i like ur broadmindedness n modern outlook .lovely!

Lambretta
22nd February 2007, 08:41 PM
Hmm....I pretty much feel the same bout jeans atleast, if not 'lighter' western clothes....I'd experimented wearing jeans (tat too 70s style "boot-cut" ones) for arnd a week while in singapore 3-4 yrs ago....and boy did it feel uncomfy!! Ive never worn jeans after tat again in my life! :x :P
I cudnt imagine how ppl. here in our country w/ similar climate in most of the states actually love to be in this thing (in sum cases 24 hrs!).....ironically, nowadays even girls/women, who r known to hav more delicate/sensitive skin than men! :roll:

rocketboy
22nd February 2007, 08:50 PM
First and foremost Hindi is not the national language of India . I strongly feel the necessity for educating every Indian about this factual discrepancy. And also Hindi is not spoken by the majority. If we sum up those people who don't speak Hindi it will be in excess.

thamizhvaanan
22nd February 2007, 09:07 PM
First and foremost Hindi is not the national language of India . I strongly feel the necessity for educating every Indian about this factual discrepancy. And also Hindi is not spoken by the majority. If we sum up those people who don't speak Hindi it will be in excess. that too the count made included various dialects of Hindi, some of them totally different. Further there was no standard script. Devanagiri script was a Govt suggestion. If we have a common script for all 4 of the south indian languages, I guess they will sound like different dialects of the same language :roll:

Lambretta
22nd February 2007, 09:10 PM
Well i thought that the success of salwar was obvious - ease and convenience.
Hmm.....altho this is said to be the most widely accepted reason, I cant help getting a bit skeptical wen I hear this.....isnt it rather strange tat the 'ease & convenience' aspect of salwar was found only recently in India (apart from punjab), wher the Saree was considered as easy/acceptable/comfy neday & everyday for like, half a century? :?
Also arnd the same time, punjabi cuisine, accent & of course Bhangra has gained a whole lot of popularity thru'out India, w/ the exception being TN & maybe Kerala.....even tat is not among the present gen./upper strata society in these states.....:)

If anything we tend to float our supposed intellectual superiority with all those silly sardar jokes.
Sardar jokes r circulated even among many northies (non-punjabi)...ther r sum Hindi-based ads wher Sardars r made fun of too, but yes Tamils r usually the ultimate laughing-stock! :( :oops:

Shakthiprabha.
22nd February 2007, 09:44 PM
Guess I am alone here talkin bout national language.

Here in karnataka MANY DO SPEAK hindi (kannadigas I mean)

Its the same in hyd (its even called hyderabadi hindi)

GEnerally most states have come to accept it.Correct me If i am wrong.

A labourer, uneducated guy in any interior part of india, need to be addressed.

WHAT DO WE ADDRESS THEM WITH?

Does not then a common language become necessary?

Singapore or any other country, I aint sure if holds so many illiterate poor ppl in its bosom!

So whats the solution? To address every community WHO UNFORTUNATELY belong to the same country and hence share resources and debts?

Tamil? Telugu? bengali? WHAT LANGUAGE do u think we need?

Or just say, ADDRESSING OR COMMUNICATING wtih a illiterate normal pesant can be done BY MIMING or language or deaf and dumb! :idea:

No language is IMPOSED. Its said its necesary, cause, MAJORITY understands the same. (I aint talking about ACCEPTING but UNDERSTANDING)

Outside tamilnadu, I DO not know how many of u would agree, IF I SAY, a teluguite, keralite, kannadiga or any other person KNOWS HINDI. A tamil guys is definitely LEFT OUT in his own nation.

No hard feelings. Just my opinion. I am shocked to see its ONE AGAINST many in this very own thread!!!

:shock:

chevvy,

:D thanks. Yes I am said to be very broad minded over all aspects and views of life :)

Lambretta
22nd February 2007, 09:57 PM
Its the same in hyd (its even called hyderabadi hindi)
Hau (:yes:).... :wink: :D

No doubt a very sensible point, SP akka.....worth thinking of...!

Singapore or any other country, I aint sure if holds so many illiterate poor ppl in its bosom!
No lah....Singapore hav SINGLISH (Singapore-ised English! :P )....:lol:
Jokes apart, Sing. was said to hav the same problem initially......ppl. of different races (altho Malay had been the most widely adapted language).....so I understand they initially had English & Malay as the national language.......& later included Mandarin (most common chinese dialect) & finally took in Tamil, making all 4 the official languages......of course it was easier for them to do tat w/ 4 languages instead of 30+! :roll:

Shakthiprabha.
22nd February 2007, 09:59 PM
Shyam,

:sigh:

Raghu
Er, These problems will exists till the world ends, it is up to the individual how he/she deals with such miseries in Life!

We complain that the whites call us black, pakis,..etc etc, and call the African/ W.Indians Niggers, etc etc, and we have the Northies who calls the Tamilains black , Madrasi..etc ...there willl be no end to this, as people's views are extremley diificult to change due to IGNORANCE and STEREO TYPES!

Regarding skin tone...

WEST wants to look BROWN that is why there are so many tanning products available in the west, ppl here would go through any exent to look brown, every GYM here have SUNBEDS, but in the EAS they want 2 look fair,

IS the grass ALWAYS Cleaner on the OTHER side???

I am of LIght Brown Complexion with Light Borwn eyes, I always get very good compliments from WHITES, saying i look very handsome etc etc..BUT Some Asians, Esp the Pakistani's and some NARROW minded fools think ONLY PALE LIFELESS PINK skin is beautiful (Yuck)

any way, the conclusion is, as lon as HUMANS exists, these issues will ALWAYS be there....

dsath
No lah....Singapore hav SINGLISH (Singapore-ised English! :P )....:lol:
Jokes apart, Sing. was said to hav the same problem initially......ppl. of different races (altho Malay had been the most widely adapted language).....so I understand they initially had English & Malay as the national language.......& later included Mandarin (most common chinese dialect) & finally took in Tamil, making all 4 the official languages......of course it was easier for them to do tat w/ 4 languages instead of 30+! :roll:
When a small country like Singapore can have 4 national languages, then why can't ours have 30+?

kannannn
22nd February 2007, 10:01 PM
SP, let me clear a few points. Kannadigas speaking Hindi is confined to only the urban centers. I can assure you that a majority in rural Karnataka can't speak Hindi. Hyderabad and many other parts of AP were heavily populated by Urdu speaking muslims, which made it compulsory to speak the language. It is essential to understand that the argument against Hindi goes beyond the freedom to choose. The fact that Hindi and Tamil don't share the same ancestory makes things difficult. After all, we do pride ourselves on the antiquity and independent origin of our language, don't we?

dsath
22nd February 2007, 10:06 PM

Use a translator who knows both yours and the uneducated guy's language or better still educate all Indians (yep i like to dream). We can always find solutions for crossing across the language barrier. But imposing something that is not mine and expecting to follow it is a sure recipe for disaster, has happened in the past and will happen in the future.
Accepting and appreciating is the way ahead.

Raghu
22nd February 2007, 10:07 PM
Er, These problems will exists till the world ends, it is up to the individual how he/she deals with such miseries in Life!

We complain that the whites call us black, pakis,..etc etc, and call the African/ W.Indians Niggers, etc etc, and we have the Northies who calls the Tamilains black , Madrasi..etc ...there willl be no end to this, as people's views are extremley diificult to change due to IGNORANCE and STEREO TYPES!

Regarding skin tone...

WEST wants to look BROWN that is why there are so many tanning products available in the west, ppl here would go through any extent to look brown, every GYM here have SUNBEDS, but in the EAST they want 2 look fair,

I am of LIght Brown Complexion with Light Borwn eyes, I always get very good compliments from WHITES, saying i look very handsome etc etc..BUT Some Asians, Esp the Pakistani's and some NARROW minded fools think ONLY PALE LIFELESS PINK skin is beautiful (Yuck)

any way, the conclusion is, as lon as HUMANS exists, these issues will ALWAYS be there....

Lambretta
22nd February 2007, 10:10 PM
Shyam,

:sigh:

Ur welcome......btw SP akka, uh, is this a good :sigh: or a bad one?? :? :oops: Sumtimes ur emotions in the emoticons r found to be rather vague to make out.... :? :oops:

dsath
22nd February 2007, 10:14 PM
Hmm.....altho this is said to be the most widely accepted reason, I cant help getting a bit skeptical wen I hear this.....isnt it rather strange tat the 'ease & convenience' aspect of salwar was found only recently in India (apart from punjab), wher the Saree was considered as easy/acceptable/comfy neday & everyday for like, half a century? :?
Also arnd the same time, punjabi cuisine, accent & of course Bhangra has gained a whole lot of popularity thru'out India, w/ the exception being TN & maybe Kerala.....even tat is not among the present gen./upper strata society in these states.....:)

Didn't want to trigger off a sari Vs salwar debate. All i wanted to say was to accept a certain clothing style or food style one needn't necessarily have the superior/inferior meaning conqueror/conquered relationship.
The reason for it being so popular recently is the awareness, affordability and availability that come with reduced traveling distance and such other factors.

Lambretta
22nd February 2007, 10:17 PM
When a small country like Singapore can have 4 national languages, then why can't ours have 30+?
Wat I meant to say was, its easier to nationalise 4 languages & even expect (NOT IMPOSE) ppl. to even learn all 4......but is it poss' to do the same w/ 30+ languages?? How many ppl. can do tat?

Lambretta
22nd February 2007, 10:21 PM
Didn't want to trigger off a sari Vs salwar debate. All i wanted to say was to accept a certain clothing style or food style one needn't necessarily have the superior/inferior meaning conqueror/conquered relationship.
The reason for it being so popular recently is the awareness, affordability and availability that come with reduced traveling distance and such other factors.
I really didnt get this one......:huh:
Neways, never mind, 'dont wan2 digress in this thread! :)

dsath
22nd February 2007, 10:21 PM
Wat I meant to say was, its easier to nationalise 4 languages & even expect (NOT IMPOSE) ppl. to even learn all 4......but is it poss' to do the same w/ 30+ languages?? How many ppl. can do tat?
Having 30 national languages doesn't mean every Indian should know all the 30 or so languages.
It means that every Indian should know that there is 29 other national languages and should accept and appreciate the pluralism and multiculturalism of India.

thamizhvaanan
22nd February 2007, 10:25 PM
It means that every Indian should know that there is 29 other national languages and should accept and appreciate the pluralism and multiculturalism of India. :yes: this is what North indians fail to do IMHO . They accuse us of being unwelcoming to other languages whilst they think the whole world is Hindi.

I think an average South indian knows more no. of languages than a north indian.

Shakthiprabha.
22nd February 2007, 10:39 PM

Regarding skin tone...

WEST wants to look BROWN that is why there are so many tanning products available in the west, ppl here would go through any extent to look brown, every GYM here have SUNBEDS, but in the EAST they want 2 look fair,

very philosophical view raghu (as expected by u :) )
I do love to think this way and do think this way.

I argue, cause I AM BORED :lol: :wink:

wb, long time no c :)

shyam,

That was a welcoming sigh :)

so much so,

hmm.... so, I stand alone. NEVER MIND. :) I do see most of ur points :P . TRAnslators is what I thought of too (like dsath mentioned)

a wide spread PUBLIC opinions should be taken on such matters.

Shakthiprabha.
22nd February 2007, 10:41 PM
Seriously guys/gals/women/men

U wanna declare all 30 plus as national language?

and appoint 30000 translators to communicate across?!!

One advantage is EMPLOYMENT opportunity :lol:

Lambretta
22nd February 2007, 10:46 PM
Seriously guys/gals/women/men

U wanna declare all 30 plus as national language?

and appoint 30000 translators to communicate across?!!

One advantage is EMPLOYMENT opportunity :lol:
Not one tat I'd wanna take up! :shaking: :oops: :P

shyam,

That was a welcoming sigh
And this is a sigh of relief.......:sigh:

:P :)

NOV
23rd February 2007, 06:25 AM
how old is india as a nation?

Raghu
23rd February 2007, 03:35 PM
how old is india as a nation?

er that depends, India /pakistan, Afhanistan, Nepal, Bhutan, Bangladesh, and possibley SL must have been all one country known as Bharth during the Satya Yoga(Ramayan) and Dwapara Yuga(Mahabharth) times!

SP acca

Welcome back :-)

I am here , it's just i dont find anything interesting in the hub these days :( ...

thamizhvaanan
23rd February 2007, 03:38 PM
raghu... wait for the worldcup :lol2:

Raghu
23rd February 2007, 03:39 PM
I was traveling in a cab, the driver(proper singaporean) was talking well with us. Suddenly he asked

I said "No, why?"

Sridhar,

I dont think the above conversation was based on Skin tone, I am not white, but Every 1 things I am from North, cos they say my Facial features looks like a Gujarati/ North Indians... any way

IGNORANCE is a BLISS

Raghu
23rd February 2007, 03:44 PM
raghu... wait for the worldcup :lol2:

Cant wait man, :D Lakalaklakla lankans bring back the trophy home :bluejump: :redjump: :boo:

thamizhvaanan
23rd February 2007, 03:48 PM
paarpom :boo:

Raghu
23rd February 2007, 03:50 PM
paarpom :boo:

:-)

Anoushka
23rd February 2007, 04:03 PM
Shakthi: At the moment we have 23 official languages anyway :) (including Hindi & English)...

As for your argument about Hindi spoken in Karnataka & Kerala I strongly disagree... my in-laws who live outside Bangalore don't know Hindi! if I go to their village, I have to talk Telugu or Kannada to the rest of the crowd there - Hindi doesn't work!

I lived in Kerala for four years - I can tell you that Hindi does not work there, not even in cities like Kochi! Forget Hindi, they won't even respond to you if you ask in English.... (That made me learn to read and speak Malayalam - a different story altogether :lol:)

Lambretta
23rd February 2007, 05:58 PM

Baaga chepparu! :yes: :clap: :thumbsup:
And yea, I hope they stay tat way!

Btw, not displaying any prejudice against bbay girls, I meant to say that girl deserevd this kinda rpely! :D

Nakeeran
23rd February 2007, 06:04 PM
Lamby

Why this OUR YOUR discrimination bet. North & South ! :shock:

Both are Indians ultimately .

You are all just going by few experience & conclude as such that there is a divide.

Let me tell you emphatically , there is actually no such superior / inferior thinking / mindset.

Its all in the mind of South Indians that they are being considered inferior but NIs doesnt think like that

And just becaz one girl or woman comments bad about the colour of TN woman doesnt mean that all are bad . This is a wrong notion guys :twisted:

Lambretta
23rd February 2007, 06:31 PM
Lamby

My bad! I guess I got a bit emotionally carried away & so sounded a bit too possessive here! :oops: :ashamed:
Anyways, I've relaised I was wrong to use such possessive pronouns here & edited my post.

You are all just going by few experience & conclude as such that there is a divide.
Actually no, I'm sure that is not any of our intentions here.

Lambretta
23rd February 2007, 06:42 PM
Thats is an interesting article, not only in India same kind of mentality exist in Singapore also!

I said "No, why?"

Skin colour-la enna irrukku :( ?
Yea I faced similar experience coupla times when I was in singapore......I'd done a dip. in this institute there & one girl working at the student support desk once asked me a similar qsn.....wen I said I was a south indian (tamil to be precise) she sounded surprised......then she began talking bout Indian girls & said like "south indian girls r all "black" while northies r fair..... :roll: :banghead:

Lambretta
23rd February 2007, 06:52 PM
I lived in Kerala for four years - I can tell you that Hindi does not work there, not even in cities like Kochi! Forget Hindi, they won't even respond to you if you ask in English.... (That made me learn to read and speak Malayalam - a different story altogether :lol:)
Wat bout Tamil btw? I understand it is relatively widely spoken in Kerala?

unhappyboy
23rd February 2007, 07:05 PM
Yea I faced similar experience coupla times when I was in singapore......I'd done a dip. in this institute there & one girl working at the student support desk once asked me a similar qsn.....wen I said I was a south indian (tamil to be precise) she sounded surprised......then she began talking bout Indian girls & said like "south indian girls r all "black" while northies r fair..... :roll: :banghead:

:D :D Isn't it funny how most people make it sound as though white=right black=wrong? They nearly shed tears when commenting on a person's dark skin (as in "your child is dark" and so on), and are delighted otherwise. Weird are the ways of slaves (not in the historical sense but in terms of attitude).

podalangai
23rd February 2007, 07:07 PM
Outside tamilnadu, I DO not know how many of u would agree, IF I SAY, a teluguite, keralite, kannadiga or any other person KNOWS HINDI.

This is only true in urban / semi-urban areas. I was traveling through northern AP (Telengana) in 2005, visiting Badrachalam and temples around it. Almost nobody could speak Hindi, and I had to summon up my long-forgotten broken Telugu in order to get even the most basic things.

Also, Keralites in Kerala are about as bad as us when it comes to knowing Hindi. Only, they don't make a song and dance about it like we do. :)

podalangai
23rd February 2007, 07:13 PM
Wat bout Tamil btw? I understand it is relatively widely spoken in Kerala?
Widely understood, not much spoken. They like to make fun of us "pandis".

Actually, Malayalam ought to be perfectly intelligible to Tamils. The two languages are very closely related, and if you have some experience you can follow most of what a Malayalee says. We Tamils are, unfortunately, not very good at making an effort to understand even non-standard Tamil, let alone Malayalam.

Lambretta
23rd February 2007, 08:32 PM
We Tamils are, unfortunately, not very good at making an effort to understand even non-standard Tamil, let alone Malayalam.
Non-standard u mean literary tamil? I'm certianly not good at understanding tat......wich is mainly y I usually dont follow Sun/jaya Tv news... :roll: :oops: :ashamed:

dr_ronny
23rd February 2007, 09:10 PM
there is no such hatred among northies...

we all hav been gifted by god...

if some1 hates us , it is only bcoz they want to be like u or they r jealous of ur capabilities..

i know some south indians who hate other south indians for similar reasons..

Being a north indian, born and brought up in Chennai, i never distinguished south and north..

its easy to call ourselves indians..

chevy
23rd February 2007, 10:09 PM

if some1 hates us , it is only bcoz they want to be like u or they r jealous of ur capabilities..

i know some south indians who hate other south indians for similar reasons.. Really ????????? Who ??? ..n wat about this thingy wer sum northies assume south indians hav a poor english accent.. which is certainly a delusion...

Being a north indian, born and brought up in Chennai, i never distinguished south and north..

its easy to call ourselves indians.. :D

chevy
23rd February 2007, 10:10 PM
Lamby

Let me tell you emphatically , there is actually no such superior / inferior thinking / mindset.

Its all in the mind of South Indians that they are being considered inferior but NIs doesnt think like that

And just becaz one girl or woman comments bad about the colour of TN woman doesnt mean that all are bad . This is a wrong notion guys :twisted: thats my point ..

chevy
23rd February 2007, 10:12 PM
chevvy,

:D thanks. Yes I am said to be very broad minded over all aspects and views of life :) :D :D

chevy
23rd February 2007, 10:14 PM

Regarding skin tone...

WEST wants to look BROWN that is why there are so many tanning products available in the west, ppl here would go through any exent to look brown, every GYM here have SUNBEDS, but in the EAS they want 2 look fair,

any way, the conclusion is, as lon as HUMANS exists, these issues will ALWAYS be there.... Another school of thought .... quite right ...

Lambretta
23rd February 2007, 10:17 PM
Really ????????? Who ???
Well I hope this doesnt turn more & more into a regional hate thread....:oops:
But in answer to ur qsn.- Ther r ppl. among telugus for instance who call Tamils as"Aravu vaaLLu", wich connotes a very derogatory meaning for Tamil.......and of course its known fact tat tamils who hate telugus call them as "gulute kaara"... :oops: :(
Then if u wnat to go further, therz the inter-state hatred among Andhra & Telangana dialect speaking telugus at present, wich is to cause the split up of AP into Andhra & Telangana in a coupla yrs.... :x

chevy
23rd February 2007, 10:24 PM
Really ????????? Who ???
Well I hope this doesnt turn more & more into a regional hate thread....:oops:
But in answer to ur qsn.- Ther r ppl. among telugus for instance who call Tamils as"Aravu vaaLLu", wich connotes a very derogatory meaning for Tamil.......and of course its known fact tat tamils who hate telugus call them as "gulute kaara"... :oops: :(
Then if u wnat to go further, therz the inter-state hatred among Andhra & Telangana dialect speaking telugus at present, wich is to cause the split up of AP into Andhra & Telangana in a coupla yrs.... :x OH NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO can we please STOP this thread ...... pls pls pls ..
mods pls lock it up.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Lambretta
23rd February 2007, 10:26 PM
Lamby

And just becaz one girl or woman comments bad about the colour of TN woman doesnt mean that all are bad . This is a wrong notion guys :twisted: thats my point ..
Atthan ennoda post-a edit pannitene!! Innum atha patthi kuthu kandipidikirtha?? :banghead: :evil: :roll:

Shakthiprabha.
23rd February 2007, 10:27 PM
:roll:

chevy
23rd February 2007, 10:28 PM
Men may come and go , but the river will go on forever. To each his own ..

Whatever we talk, it isn't goin to change the nation..
but i guess we stop arguing on this topic .. and before we kindle more emotions .. can we just end it here ..

thamizhvaanan
23rd February 2007, 10:29 PM
chevy... the world doesn go dark if u close ur eyes ... :roll:

chevy
23rd February 2007, 10:30 PM
Lamby

Atthan ennoda post-a edit pannitene!! Innum atha patthi kuthu kandipidikirtha?? :banghead: :evil: :roll: sorry lamby anna .... i am still "skim reading" ...

thamizhvaanan
23rd February 2007, 10:34 PM

its easy to call ourselves indians.. :clap: Nice to know that dr.ronny.

I would like to quote this articly, which is obviously dripping with sarcasm and racism ... :irked: but nevertheless throws some light on what complaints do others have on us, if at all they have any. Most of the times, it serves well to judge ourselves from others eyes :D .

http://uncyclopedia.org/wiki/Chennai

Lambretta
23rd February 2007, 10:44 PM
I would like to quote this articly, which is obviously dripping with sarcasm and racism ... :irked: but nevertheless throws some light on what complaints do others have on us, if at all they have any. Most of the times, it serves well to judge ourselves from others eyes :D .

http://uncyclopedia.org/wiki/Chennai
:shock: WT*!!!! :evil: :twisted:
Wat kinda idiotic moron wrote up all this stuff??!! Man this is too much.......! :roll: :x
And there doesnt seem to be any way to get this edited/ deleted, as normally u cud on ne webpage in wikipedia...

chevy
23rd February 2007, 10:58 PM

its easy to call ourselves indians.. :clap: Nice to know that dr.ronny.

http://uncyclopedia.org/wiki/Chennai Ronny!!! .
:)

Anoushka
23rd February 2007, 11:27 PM
Wat bout Tamil btw? I understand it is relatively widely spoken in Kerala? Tamil is not widely spoken in Kerala Lamby... maybe in Palghat but not elsewhere.... :)

Lambretta
23rd February 2007, 11:32 PM
Tamil is not widely spoken in Kerala Lamby... maybe in Palghat but not elsewhere.... :)
Ohh.....ok...and even in Palghat (& palakkad also?) I think its only the tamils settled ther who speak it....wich is the Palghat Tamil...w. a smattering of Malyalam (a la Kamal Hasan as "Kameswaran" in Michael Madna Kamarajan, if I'm rite! :wink: :D )

crazy
24th February 2007, 01:40 AM
"oru thaai makkal naam enbom
ondre engal kulam enbom"

well I dont know whether N Indians hates S.Indians
even if they does i dont think its a big deal! who dont hate and who dont have prejudice against the other? should be glad that we(you) dont kill each other!
To me, India is an incredible nation with its diversity; culture, religion, language and history :thumbsup:

TV that link u gave were disgusting, read the first 2 paragraphs and felt :twisted:

Rohit
24th February 2007, 03:33 AM
To me, India is an incredible nation with its diversity; culture, religion, language and history :thumbsup:
Accompanied with thousands of years of slavery.

First, of Moguls and then; of Europeans, British in particular.

If that amounts as incredible; then good luck to you my dear. :) :thumbsup:

Hulkster
24th February 2007, 08:05 AM
Yeaps Nakeeran is right..please drop the north indians and south indians topic...in fact if you look at other races..the only difference is the colour...and their bodies have the same physical functions as us...i still feel this north indian south indian chinese malay arabian things all shud be dropped..as our so called different features and not strong enough to be considered for classification(like cockroaches where some are horned some have wings..these are real differences).

If i am not wrong..the north south indian colour difference and appearance is due to the changes in weather and atmopshere over the years..i have seen indians looking so casucasian when they are born and bred in other countries..so if probably all humans lived in 1 place they are bound to look like each other. We should one day be all classified as under our original race the human race.....then men like me can ogle at casucasian,bombay,persian women without worrying about race :P JK

Sanguine Sridhar
24th February 2007, 12:43 PM

Kudukka MATTEN sridhar.

Super amma-nga neenga :D ! Unggala maadhriye ella thaaikulangalum irrundhutta thevala :sigh2:

crazy
24th February 2007, 02:06 PM

Dear
Iam not an Indian. So I only see the greatness of India rather seeing the black side of her history. I dont think any nation on earth is perfect. whatever India is million times better than "so called my country".
............IMO India is the best country and the most incredible country on earth.

Lambretta
24th February 2007, 06:24 PM
Iam not an Indian. So I only see the greatness of India rather seeing the black side of her history. I dont think any nation on earth is perfect. whatever India is million times better than "so called my country".
............IMO India is the best country and the most incredible country on earth.
:clap: :clap: :clap:
:thumbsup: :notworthy: :yes: :D

Shakthiprabha.
24th February 2007, 08:44 PM

Kudukka MATTEN sridhar.

Super amma-nga neenga :D ! Unggala maadhriye ella thaaikulangalum irrundhutta thevala :sigh2:

dign/

naan IPPO kaalathu amma...

30 varusham munnadi irunthiruntha... DUNNO what would have been my stand. :)

Probably my stand would have been the same.

My basic belief,"its perfect to fall in LOVE... WITH A NICE PERSON and marry him or her. '

heaven sake 'DONT MARRY A STRANGER' :roll:

For all what u know, MY DAUGHTER MAY tell me after 20 years,
'AMMA LOOK FOR SOME ALLIANCE I AM NOT FINDING ANY '

MAN PROPOSES
... :wink:

Lambretta
24th February 2007, 09:23 PM
heaven sake 'DONT MARRY A STRANGER' :roll:
Ana SP akka, neenga pannathu ithu thaane? :confused2:

I mean, wasnt urs an arranged marriage? :huh:

For all what u know, MY DAUGHTER MAY tell me after 20 years, 'AMMA LOOK FOR SOME ALLIANCE I AM NOT FINDING ANY '
I agree! :exactly:
Tats wat I'm telling my mother now! :P :lol:
Of course, unless I happen to find sumone in the meantime! :roll:

Shakthiprabha.
24th February 2007, 10:32 PM
Yes, shyam.

arranged marriage. I did NOT WANT IT, when I was gettign married. I should say I did not have much choice, because I WAS COERCED into it, with LOADS AND LOADS AND LOADS OF love and sentimental blackmail from my LOVED ONES.

I WAS scared. REALLY SCARED to marry someone I DONT EVEN KNOW!!!

(TOUCHWOOD, it worked well for me)

Seriously I AM LUCKY. :D :D

but, I still feel, its just a CHANCE, i turned lucky.... my belief STILL HOLDS THAT how can one marry a stranger!!!?

/END TOPIC (nothing to do with northy or southy :D )

Lambretta
24th February 2007, 10:50 PM
I understand, KK akka! :)
Reg. being 'lucky'.....hmm.....I wonder if its got nething to do w/ the thought process of say, 'finding the right person'?

Shakthiprabha.
24th February 2007, 10:57 PM
May be shyam :) :D
I wish u good luck too :P

thamizhvaanan
24th February 2007, 11:05 PM
I wish u good luck too :P but shyams' "wud be" is definitley lucky. Hope he doesn ask for a heral as dowry .. :lol2:

Lambretta
24th February 2007, 11:06 PM
I wish u good luck too :P
:ty: :mrgreen:
I sure will need LOTS of it! :( :oops:

Neways, I once heard sumone say tat marriage is not bout finding the right person, its bout YOU being the right person....difficult to apply tat practically tho IMO..... :roll: :oops:

Lambretta
24th February 2007, 11:09 PM
Hope he doesn ask for a heral as dowry .. :lol2:
Excuse moi? Wats tat? :? :roll:

chevy
25th February 2007, 04:21 AM
chevy... the world doesn go dark if u close ur eyes ... :roll: seri ..seri ,.. but this topic still freaks me out. .

thamizhvaanan
25th February 2007, 09:14 AM
Hope he doesn ask for a heral as dowry .. :lol2:
Excuse moi? Wats tat? :? :roll: typo lamby... supposed to be Herald :mrgreen:

Lambretta
25th February 2007, 05:37 PM
typo lamby... supposed to be Herald :mrgreen:
I thot so....JK! :mrgreen:

Neways, I'm impressed u rem. wat a Herald is.....even if its at the cost of not doin justice to ur gen.! :P :D

/DIG

Rohit
25th February 2007, 07:29 PM

Dear

Dear
I am not an Indian.
Is that the prime reason for you to announce India million times better than "so called your country"? :wink:

So I only see the greatness of India rather seeing the black side of her history.
Chronological record of a country is the strongest evidence of the county's greatness; and therefore, one must never commit the mistake of isolating one from the other.

In nutshell, a mound can serve only as impedance to progression. Therefore, it would be silly of one to clap the obvious weaknesses of one's own county away.

I don't think any nation on earth is perfect.
Yes, you are absolutely right, no nation can be perfect or otherwise; only the people of the nation collectively make what the nation in question really is.

India is million times better than "so called my country".
There is no nation on earth that is either million times better or million times worse than another nation. Such two nations exist only in one's imagination.

:D :) :thumbsup:

crazy
25th February 2007, 09:00 PM
Is that the prime reason for you to announce India million times better than "so called your country"? :wink:

:yes:

Chronological record of a country is the strongest evidence of the county's greatness; and therefore, one must never commit the mistake of isolating one from the other.

There is no nation on earth that is either million times better or million times worse than another nation. Such two nations exist only in one's imagination.

Well, when u r saying that there is no nation that is million times better or million times worser, so why I on earth am I supposed to see its "chronological records". Whats the point?! :)

temporary sori-Observer
25th February 2007, 09:11 PM
Well, when u r saying that there is no nation that is million times better or million times worser, so why I on earth am I supposed to see its "chronological records". Whats the point?! :)
Crazy,
:clap: :notworthy: :thumbsup:

Lambretta
25th February 2007, 09:17 PM
Well, when u r saying that there is no nation that is million times better or million times worse, so why I on earth am I supposed to see its "chronological records". Whats the point?! :)
U do hav a point! :) :thumbsup:

thamizhvaanan
25th February 2007, 10:15 PM
Well, when u r saying that there is no nation that is million times better or million times worser, so why I on earth am I supposed to see its "chronological records". Whats the point?! :) :rotfl: :thumbsup:

thamizhvaanan
25th February 2007, 10:19 PM
typo lamby... supposed to be Herald :mrgreen:
I thot so....JK! :mrgreen:

Neways, I'm impressed u rem. wat a Herald is.....even if its at the cost of not doin justice to ur gen.! :P :D

/DIG :lol: namma rendu perukkum avlo gen gap illa lamby... :swinghead: anyway.. howzz ur first wife padmini? :boo:

Designer
25th February 2007, 11:03 PM
---

Vaasi : :thumbsup:

Lambretta
25th February 2007, 11:33 PM
/DIG :lol: namma rendu perukkum avlo gen gap illa lamby... :swinghead:
Uh, wat I meant was its unusual for sumone of ur (& also my) gen. to know even the names of old cars/bikes......:P :lol:
'cos acc. to them these vehicles r not really worth knowing bout....:roll:
Ippo puriytha? :D

anyway.. howzz ur first wife padmini? :boo:
Excuse moi again.......PADMINI-ya?? :shock:
Who on earth is tat????? :confused2: :huh:

Dude, u seem to be confusing me w. sumone else...! :P :lol:
I DONT hav a wife as yet (by tat name or ne other name!) :P :lol2:

thamizhvaanan
25th February 2007, 11:36 PM
I was referring to that FIAT that u own ... :lol:

Lambretta
25th February 2007, 11:59 PM
I was referring to that FIAT that u own ... :lol:
Machaaaaaaaa.........:banghead: :evil: :curse:

I'd clarified earlier tat my car is NOT a "Premier Padmini" but the original FIAT 'Millecento' (Italian for 1100) a.k.a "old fiat", "ulta-door" Fiat as called in hyd.... :evil: :angry2:

LOOK CLOSELY......THIS IS WHAT MY CAR LOOKS LIKE:

http://mclellansautomotive.com/photos/B13342.jpg

and THIS is what a PADMINI looks like:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indiancarpictures/?do=big&p=2339

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indiancarpictures/?do=big&p=2274

GOT THE DIFF. NOW?? :twisted: :P

And also herez an article tat seems to be made jus for sumone like u! :P:

http://www.hindu.com/mp/2006/04/19/stories/2006041900380300.htm

Altho sadly this car isnt as original/tidy as mine...! :P

/DIG

Rohit
26th February 2007, 01:21 AM
Well, when u r saying that there is no nation that is million times better or million times worser, so why I on earth am I supposed to see its "chronological records". What’s the point?!
That means, your comparative judgement begins at a differential ratio of million or greater. :!:

Anyway, I was just pointing that the figure of million is rather unreal, but the "chronological record" is not; and therefore, it is the most decisive criterion that makes all the difference, only if one cares to realise that.

Therefore, the two imaginary countries having a figure of merit or demerit in million do not exist, but the "chronological record" of India does exist, which people can wishfully clap it away if they choose to do so, but that would not change the reality of "chronological record" of India even a bit, I am afraid.

crazy
26th February 2007, 01:27 AM
Dear

I really apologize for hurting people. I am sorry! I don't feel sorry for what i feel about "so called my nation" and India, but for that I forgot to put an IMO!

ok let me write it again.
IMO, India is million times better than "so called my country".

:roll:

sorry again! :)

crazy
26th February 2007, 01:40 AM
That means, your comparative judgment begins at a differential ratio of million or greater. :!:

:(

Anyway, I was just pointing that the figure of million is rather unreal, but the "chronological record" is not; and therefore, it is the most decisive criterion that makes all the difference, only if one cares to realise that.

Thank you for pointing it out for me!
Shall take your word for credit.:)

Therefore, the two imaginary countries having a figure of merit or demerit in million do not exist, but the "chronological record" of India do exists, which people can wishfully clap it away if they choose to do so, but that would not change the reality of "chronological record" of India even a bit, I am afraid.

I am afraid too that it wont change the reality that I love India
:cry2:

sorry for digg ppl! :)

Rohit
26th February 2007, 01:50 AM
sorry again! :)
There is nothing to feel sorry for admitting the dismal sate of your country. In fact, you have just expressed what you feel about the state of affairs in your country, which many people are just incapable of doing. :thumbsup:

crazy
26th February 2007, 01:54 AM
:roll: oh now its about "my country"? :roll:

rohit :ty: :notworthy:

Rohit
26th February 2007, 02:29 AM
It was only you my dear who brought up the comparison between India and your own country; and I had no choice but to accept your views as the true expressions of facts about your own country. If that is not what you really meant, you should have said so. :thumbsup:

crazy
26th February 2007, 02:34 AM
It was only you my dear who brought up the comparison between India and your own country; and I had no choice but to accept your views as the true expressions of facts about your own country. If that is not what you really meant, you should have said so. :thumbsup:

let me make it clear I said "so called my country" not my country!

crazy
26th February 2007, 02:37 AM
unhappyboy: sorry for driving your tread from northies/ southies to "so called my country", my country and India :oops:

selvakumar
12th March 2007, 01:00 PM
Just got this from a mail farward. Still unable to control my laughter. Enjoy Friends

Hi friends,

This is a live update from chennai.

Language - Tamil, tamil and tamil. Even if they know hindi, they dont speak up.
People - We never heard anyone laughing here (I wonder if they ever laugh or shout)
So conservative, that noone talks even in the bus
Food - Idly, sambhar, rice, dosa, vada, pongal
We have to cook our food ourselves (unbelievable naa).
Weather - summer from october to feb and rest of the year it's deadly summer.
Lesiure - TV, dormitery, dirty sea beaches on weekends
Rent - 6.5 K / 1 BHK
Advance - 6 months
Aata - Rs. 26 /kg
Apple - Rs 100 /kg
Orange - Rs. 10/piece
Banana - Rs 3 /piece
Mausmi Juice -Rs 18 /glass
Jeans Dryclean - Rs.40
Phulka - Rs. 8 (idly also Rs.8)

Interesting facts and incidents :
1. Here you cannot buy a needle after 6 PM (strange).
2. We asked an auto driver, "hindi aati hai"?. He replied in hindi "Hindi nahi aati".
3. The most common suffix here is 'a', e.g.
straight - straighta
2 cup tea - 2 cupa tea
4. Even dogs eat curd rice.
5. In north, names are like Gori Shankar, gauri prasad etc. Here the names are like Kaliraj, kalicharan etc.
6. When there is a 't' in any name, they add 'h' to it.
jayant - jayanth
bharat - bharath

7. Here is a culture of adding mystical alphabets after ones's name, like Mahesh R, Sandeep T etc.
7. Cable connection is of no use here as only tamil channels are broadcasted on cable TV, if anyone wanna watch hindi channels then you need to buy a set up box (Rs.4000).
8. Cognizant navallur office is actually not in chennai, it comes under a district called Chengalpet which is 51 kms from main city.
9. Once we saw a girl in the food court, she was looking and acting like a north indian. My friend became exited and planned to talk to her, but just then we noticed her breakfast and then "dil ke armaan aansuon mein beh gaye", she was having pongal. (disguise!!)
10.How dare anyone come to chennai : Cognizant Chennai MCity comes under SEZ(special economic zone), swap and transfers from here are not possible.
11. No life after 9 PM.
12. No need to worry for Tsunami, because noone will be left to cry on your grave.

Bye Bye (waiting for banglore, pune, hyderabad update)

Life is not about cursing your posting location
but it is about how soon you leave the company

selvakumar
12th March 2007, 01:03 PM
[tscii:c5a7223d3c]REPLY FROM ONE OF THE GUYS WHO IS LIVING IN BANGALORE and who had lived in CHENNAI as well ! DON'T MISS IT

See i think a few things are pretty true here...But most of it are just mere exaggeration. He has just written all his effusive frustration here..!! I live here in bangalore, and trust me its much more expensive than wht he thinks.. i have lived in Chennai and Bangalore, and in Kerala, so i do know the difference between most of the places in South India.. Chennai is supposed to be the second cheapest metropolitan city after Calcutta and any other cities in India.

Language - Tamil, tamil and tamil. Even if they know hindi, they dont speak up.

For your Kind information, nobody knows Hindi here. Only non-tamilians living in Chennai take Hindi (like me) while most of them take French. And excluding the non-localites, people converse in ENGLISH.

People - We never heard anyone laughing here (I wonder if they ever laugh or shout). So conservative, that noone talks even in the bus.

They are not conservative damn it...ALL INDIANS are like that..!! The same happens in Bangalore, Hyderabad or Pune..U dont strike a coversation with a stranger out of the blue..!!

Food - Idly, sambhar, rice, dosa, vada, pongal. We have to cook our food ourselves (unbelievable naa).

Excuse' Moi ..!! When i went to the north (not specifying which place), me being a south-indian, had a tough time, hunting for some good rice to eat, because all i got was Aloo Paratha, Aloo Gobi, Gobi Manchurian, Aloo Muttor, Aloo Roast etc.. Wonder if they invented Aloo Juice.. Each of them have their own culture for taste and sense..!! So dont blame any place.

Weather - summer from october to feb and rest of the year it's deadly summer.

Damn it, dont tell me you would complain that it dint rain or snow in Sahara when you where there..!! Oh please, for heaven sake, each area has a difference in climate. India is not small as u get to see in the world map.

Lesiure - TV, dormitery, dirty sea beaches on weekends

Hahahaa....Atleast you get to see a beach buddy..!!

Rent - 6.5 K / 1 BHK

Do you know the size of the rooms?? They would be huge. I pay 7K for a 1BHK, that is just as big as my bathroom in Chennai..!!

Advance - 6 months
Buddy, i pay an adavnce of 11 months.. !! So who is to blame??

Aata - Rs. 26 /kg
Apple - Rs 100 /kg
Orange - Rs. 10/piece
Banana - Rs 3 /piece
Mausmi Juice -Rs 18 /glass
Jeans Dryclean - Rs.40
Phulka - Rs. 8 (idly also Rs.8)

Hahahaaa..!! Pillsbury Aata costs the same all over India dear..!! Sorry these things dont worth an argument..

1. Here you cannot buy a needle after 6 PM (strange)

God give me a break..!!

2. We asked an auto driver, "hindi aati hai"?. He replied in hindi "Hindi nahi aati".

Buddy, thats the only thing they would have learnt in Hindi..!! For heaven sake, stop having false impressions that hindi is our National Language..!! It isnt..i have no time for this argument again..!! I never knew they speak Tamil in Delhi or Bombay..!! So why Hindi in Chennai..!! Use a more worldy used language, ENGLISH.

3. The most common suffix here is 'a', e.g.
straight - straighta
2 cup tea - 2 cupa tea

Yes, like the way you'll pronunce, thirty (therty as thartty) and fourteen (forteen as farteen)..!! Somebody stop me..!!

4. Even dogs eat curd rice.

Atleast they get to eat something, not starved to death.. and yeah, less stray dogs, that they would be famished and start feeding on children.

5. In north, names are like Gori Shankar, gauri prasad etc. Here the names are like Kaliraj, kalicharan etc.

What else do what us to name?? Elvis Presley or Brad Pitt?? Atleast Elizabeth Hurly or Angelina Jolie never asked you, why your name was Gauri Prasad..!!

6. When there is a 't' in any name, they add 'h' to it.
jayant - jayanth
bharat - bharath

Well, in Hindi you wrtie 'Ta' as t, and in Tamil we write 'Tha' as Th..!! Dont find faults with such silly matters.

8. Here is a culture of adding mystical alphabets after ones's name, like Mahesh R, Sandeep T etc.

Sorry, instead to keeping 'Abhishek Anandkumar Khare' or 'Sunaina Swapan Teja', we just name them as 'Abhishek A.K' and 'Sunaina S.T'

9. Cable connection is of no use here as only tamil channels are broadcasted on cable TV, if anyone wanna watch hindi channels then you need to buy a set up box (Rs.4000).

Hahaha...You guys where the ones who started making a big fuss about making Hindi Channels as paid Channels...we never wanted to watch Hindi here, so who cares.. Nobody uses STB (Set Top Box), Tamilians watch all south-indian languages for free..!!

10. Cognizant navallur office is actually not in chennai, it comes under a district called Chengalpet which is 51 kms from main city.

Escuse me..!! Hahaha..!! Infosys or any other office in Bangalore, in Electronics City, is actually in Hosur Road..!! Dont expect Narayan Moorthy to build such a huge campus in the heart of the city..!! Ask questions that make sense..!!

11. Once we saw a girl in the food court, she was looking and acting like a north indian. My friend became exited and planned to talk to her, but just then we noticed her breakfast and then "dil ke armaan aansuon mein beh gaye", she was having pongal. (disguise!!)

I saw a cute south-indian guy...But what??? Ohhh..!! Shucks, he is having Aloo Paratha :'(

12.How dare anyone come to chennai : Cognizant Chennai MCity comes under SEZ(special economic zone), swap and transfers from here are not possible.

Be in Chennai learn something here, so that you could live anywhere in the world and stop making a upheaval with small matters of life.. They sent u here, so that u learn :)

13. No life after 9 PM.

Do u know what life is than just going to Disco's and Pubs?? Partying and Boozing??

14. No need to worry for Tsunami, because none will be left to cry on your grave.

Atleast we wont sit and fight among ourselves, shoot or die cause of bomb blast..Oh Boy, i want to look sweet when i die, dont wanna look like a roasted chicken ;)

No offence meant in this mail.. But just wanted to let you noe that DON’T BELIEVE ALL ARE TRUE.

I live in Bangalore, and I do love this place, and I would love it anywhere I live..!! Learn to adjust, and not to make a big riot over static things in the world..!![/tscii:c5a7223d3c]

ksen
12th March 2007, 01:38 PM
Selva :clap: :clap:

Ella oorum onga oor maadhiriyE irukkanumnaa, unga oora vittu yen vareenga?

Koozhukkum aasai, meesaikkum aasai :)

crazy
12th March 2007, 02:18 PM
:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Shakthiprabha.
12th March 2007, 02:23 PM
Learn to adjust, and not to make a big riot over static things in the world..!!

thats says all bout it!

blahblah
12th March 2007, 03:17 PM
To a certain extent,it would be improper for me to say this as I chose to live in this place.

Yet after living in Pune for six years I hope one day I will be able to go back to South India.If not among the coconut palms and emerald paddy fields,atleast among the friendly 'thattukadas' and grannies selling hot One rupee vadas.

Why?

No end price here is cost related.One Dal curry costs you 30 rupees,chicken curry-50,Idly[2]-16 etc at the smallest and ordinary sort of restairants

As I have always said on this forum,South Indians got rid of the White Sahib only to be dominated by the desi variety which is far more divisive and aggressive.

One night when I was new to Pune,at the railway station,I was asked to speak in Hindi if I wan't to hire a prepaid rikshaw by the booking clerk in the presence of a cop just because I used one word in English which was,"pardon'?.I was told that we live in 'Hindustan' and so should speak only 'Hindustani'.These people justify everything in the name of religion. Invariably they use the word 'Madrasi' as though referring to a breed of cattle.

Then this is a land where mob culture prevails and a herd of buffallows can stampede you to dust.So live on and what else!

Lambretta
12th March 2007, 06:48 PM
13. No life after 9 PM.

Do u know what life is other than just going to Disco's and Pubs?? Partying and Boozing??
:yes: :exactly: I wanted to give this reply myself....:D
Makes me think how ridiculous it is of ppl. who define 'life' as such....looks like they badly need a 'life'..... :roll: :x

Raghu
14th March 2007, 09:51 PM
I am finding it very difficult to cope with such Ignorant lunatics minds...........

There is this person at work, who works along with me, he was talking about North Vs South...etc, this guy is an Indian but born and brought up in Africa..

I think he was searching for some hindi movie reviews on Sify or something and accidently ends up in the tamil section and he sees kamal & Asin and he goes, ' What do Hindi actors/actresses do in tamil movies?, i said ther are NOT Mumbai wallah's, Kamal is a TAMILIAN and asin is MALLU, and u kno what he says, dont b stupid, they are so fair, how can they be Tamilians?,

I just did not wanted to argue, I just though of Nov(the Moderator's signature saying NEVER ARGUE with fools) and walked away...

pavalamani pragasam
15th March 2007, 08:11 AM
Well said, blahblah!

unhappyboy
15th March 2007, 02:49 PM
As I have always said on this forum,South Indians got rid of the White Sahib only to be dominated by the desi variety which is far more divisive and aggressive.

One night when I was new to Pune,at the railway station,I was asked to speak in Hindi if I wan't to hire a prepaid rikshaw by the booking clerk in the presence of a cop just because I used one word in English which was,"pardon'?.I was told that we live in 'Hindustan' and so should speak only 'Hindustani'.

All this is due to Hindu Fundamentalism, which is more dangerous than so-called Islamic terrorism or whatever. Hindus are parochial, narrow-minded people, which is why they keep harping about hindi, hindustani etc. when the world is moving ahead. They're even ready to discriminate against their own!

unhappyboy
15th March 2007, 03:09 PM
' What do Hindi actors/actresses do in tamil movies?, i said ther are NOT Mumbai wallah's, Kamal is a TAMILIAN and asin is MALLU, and u kno what he says, dont b stupid, they are so fair, how can they be Tamilians?,

So your friend thinks Tamils are dark-skinned. Why do you find that offensive? :o

pavalamani pragasam
15th March 2007, 03:40 PM
Because the fairskinned have the habit of looking down upon the darkskinned! :angry2:

unhappyboy
15th March 2007, 04:01 PM
Because the fairskinned have the habit of looking down upon the darkskinned! :angry2:

Sorry, but my q has got nothing to do with this. Let me rephrase my q. Raghu's friend thinks tamils couldn't possibly be fair. Is Raghu offended, because his friend had equated "tamil" with "dark"? If so, it makes tamils look a bit hypocritical.

Raghu
15th March 2007, 04:14 PM
' What do Hindi actors/actresses do in tamil movies?, i said ther are NOT Mumbai wallah's, Kamal is a TAMILIAN and asin is MALLU, and u kno what he says, dont b stupid, they are so fair, how can they be Tamilians?,

So your friend thinks Tamils are dark-skinned. Why do you find that offensive? :o

er hello :roll:

That IS offensive, these fools are highly IGNORANT lunatics MORONS!!! Let me tell FEW facts about INDIANS (INCLUDING SRILANKANS) abroad !

1) 3/4 Of Tamilians Living in Europe, N.America /Middle East & Australia are SRILANKAN TAMILS!

2) 3/4 of Asians Living abroad are MAINLY , Urudu speaking Pakistani's, Punjabhi speaking Pakistani's / Indians , Gujarti speaking Indians (u will find high portions of them in Countries like UK, USA, Kenya, Tanzania, Botswana & SA, then you get Bengali speaking INDians and Bangla speaking Bangladeshis..etc

Out of these 3/4 of the Bengalis and 60% of the Gujarti's are brown or dark skinned , ONLY the pkistani's punjabis and and 40% of Gujaratis are fair skinned

So how can INGNORANT Luntics base on'e ethinicity based on Skin Colur??

Look at the Indians in WI, Guyana , Fiji, Mauritius,...etc what colour are they?, can you tell?

Surya
16th March 2007, 12:09 AM
So your friend thinks Tamils are dark-skinned. Why do you find that offensive?

It's a norrow minded, ignorant View! It's similar to saying all Indians Wear Turbans and have beards. Or saying that Indians and Arabs are the same, or that All Indians are just Taxi Drivers in New York, or that Indian women in India masturbate with snakes!!

(All 4 generalizations are faced by Desies living in the US, the 4th one only common among the worst of worst, who get their info abt India from Indian Porn, but u see of insane and idiotic generalizations can be?) :banghead:

Nothing wrong with being Sikh, or Arab, but it's annoying and in many cases Offensive when ppl are that ignorant abt ur community. :) Same thing applies when ppl think that all Tamils are dark. Nothin wrong in being dark, but it's offensive when someone could be that ignorant abt a group of ppl, espicially when u belong to that group of ppl. Similar to what u said abt hindus being narrow minded and parochial! :banghead: Ur no different from the ignorant ppl or any other fundamentalist. 8-)

Surya
16th March 2007, 12:19 AM
I was told that we live in 'Hindustan' and so should speak only 'Hindustani'.These people justify everything in the name of religion.

Oh come on!! R u saying those guys are hindu fundamentalists? Hindustan is a commonly used term for India. I've even heard Muslims using it, in movies and when I chat. :? I don't see how this has anything to do with religion.

When I was in India in January, in Tamil Nadu, I had asked a guy on the street: "How do I get to Kaatazhagiya Singar Temple?" because I knew it was in that area. That guy says "Yen Tamiz-le ketka maateengala? :roll: " which means "can't you ask in Tamil?" This time I rolled my eyes at him and asked in Tamil.

So what now? These ppl (tamils) base everything on Dravidian Fundamentalism? :?

That seems more like something to do with Language than religion! If it is, then please elaborate. :)

unhappyboy
16th March 2007, 11:24 AM

It's a norrow minded, ignorant View!

Most Tamils are dark, so people associate tamils with dark. We associate a rich man with wealth, don't we?

Or saying that Indians and Arabs are the same, or that All Indians are just Taxi Drivers in New York, or that Indian women in India masturbate with snakes!!

Well, when indian women behave as they do, stereotyping is inevitable.

Nothin wrong in being dark, but it's offensive when someone could be that ignorant abt a group of ppl, espicially when u belong to that group of ppl.

It's not possible to know everything about every community in the world. Simple q: would you be so offended, if an ignorant person were to say 'all tamils are fair.' This also is an ignorant assumption about your community, but you wouldn't mind for reasons obvious to one and all. :D

Similar to what u said abt hindus being narrow minded and parochial! Banging Head Ur no different from the ignorant ppl or any other fundamentalist. Cool

Are we talking about me? Then it's unfair. :cry:

unhappyboy
16th March 2007, 11:27 AM
I was told that we live in 'Hindustan' and so should speak only 'Hindustani'.These people justify everything in the name of religion.

Oh come on!! R u saying those guys are hindu fundamentalists? Hindustan is a commonly used term for India. I've even heard Muslims using it, in movies and when I chat. :? I don't see how this has anything to do with religion.

If people are so fanatical about language that they're willing to discriminate against their own, the needle of suspicion points in one direction and one direction only. And we all know what that is! :)

Jabroni
16th March 2007, 09:48 PM
:?

Lambretta
16th March 2007, 10:33 PM
Or saying that Indians and Arabs are the same, or that All Indians are just Taxi Drivers in New York, or that Indian women in India masturbate with snakes!!
:shock: :confused2: :roll:

Surya
17th March 2007, 12:20 AM
Most Tamils are dark, so people associate tamils with dark. We associate a rich man with wealth, don't we?

That's a horrible analogy. :confused2: Wealth makes one rich! Being Dark doesn't make one a Tamil. Rich ppl have Wealth. Dark ppl aren't Tamil.

What the hell is this supposed to mean? Please State ur point rather than random statements. :) If not That just shows the kinda women that u've had ur experiences with. :) Now I'm beginning to wonder if you're even Indian. :roll:

It's not possible to know everything about every community in the world. Simple q: would you be so offended, if an ignorant person were to say 'all tamils are fair.' This also is an ignorant assumption about your community, but you wouldn't mind for reasons obvious to one and all. :D

Actually I would still be equally angered at the generalization, since 90% if not 100% of all Generalizations are false, and come out of Ignorance. :D Both generalizations that Southies are all Dark, or that Northies are all light just displays the ignorance level of the person stating it. :thumbsup:

Are we talking about me? Then it's unfair. :(

Actually we are. :) And based on what u just said abt Indian Women, U've proven that it's even more True! :thumbsup:

If people are so fanatical about language that they're willing to discriminate against their own, the needle of suspicion points in one direction and one direction only. And we all know what that is!

:yes: In Blahblah's Case and Mine, It's Fanaticism in Language and nothing else. There are many non-hindus and hindus who are fanatical abt Tamil, and the same goes for Hindi or what some might call Hindustani also. 8-)

madhu
17th March 2007, 08:52 AM
mm... In Mumbai, a guy from Gujarat asked me whether I am from Kerala. When I informed him that I am a tamilian, he refused to accept. He told me that tamilians are dark and should have two protruding teeth ( like kalyanaraman kamal, I think ). He also advised me not to tell lies :notthatway: and as I have thick moush, I must be from Kerala only ! :rotfl:

comedian vivek mAdhiri en mother tongue, state ellAthaiyum maathina ivangaLukku enna badhil solluradhu ? :lol:

( Now its worse as I have this id - Madhu - typical Mallu name :banghead: )

unhappyboy
17th March 2007, 11:07 AM
That's a horrible analogy. :confused2: Wealth makes one rich! Being Dark doesn't make one a Tamil. Rich ppl have Wealth. Dark ppl aren't Tamil.

Majority of Tamils are dark, aren't they? Let's look at it this way. When you see a black person, do you ask him if he's from Germany, even though Germany may have black people? No, you wonder if he's from Nigeria, or some African country.

What the hell is this supposed to mean? Please State ur point rather than random statements. :) If not That just shows the kinda women that u've had ur experiences with. :) Now I'm beginning to wonder if you're even Indian. :roll:

A country is often judged by what its 'rich and famous' do. Explaining this any further is tantamount to stating the obvious.

Actually I would still be equally angered at the generalization, since 90% if not 100% of all Generalizations are false, and come out of Ignorance. :D Both generalizations that Southies are all Dark, or that Northies are all light just displays the ignorance level of the person stating it. :thumbsup:

Most people are offended, NOT at the ignorance that comes with it, but at the generalization itself, cuz it turns out to be a bit negative. Like I said before, I am sure most tamils would be flattered, if you tell them 'all tamils are fair' or something to that effect. They wouldn't mind this sort of generalization, cuz it's favorable. I am surprised you don't agree with this point, and instead making excuses.

Actually we are. :) And based on what u just said abt Indian Women, U've proven that it's even more True! :thumbsup:

That point has been clarified, so you changed your mind or what?

:yes: In Blahblah's Case and Mine, It's Fanaticism in Language and nothing else. There are many non-hindus and hindus who are fanatical abt Tamil, and the same goes for Hindi or what some might call Hindustani also. 8-)

Fanaticism in language is related to Hindu Fanaticism. How many secularists discriminate on the basis of language? Not many. But most people who do claim to be Hindutvadis. Also, the tamils who are fanatical about tamil language are categorized as dravidianists, right? That's probably the SI equivalent of Hindutva.

unhappyboy
17th March 2007, 11:13 AM
mm... In Mumbai, a guy from Gujarat asked me whether I am from Kerala. When I informed him that I am a tamilian, he refused to accept. He told me that tamilians are dark and should have two protruding teeth ( like kalyanaraman kamal, I think ). He also advised me not to tell lies :notthatway:

And he got away with this? :shock: Amazing! :lol: :lol: You should've asked him if he were Gujju. If he'd answered in the affirmative, you could've advised him not to tell lies :notthatway: that Gujjus always carry a sickle, trying to track down muslims and finish them off, as they often do. :P

kb
17th March 2007, 11:54 AM
yeah.... i liked their culture very much.. BUT

avinungala paatha mattum paththikinnu varuthu
they really cant digest when we speak to north indian girls..

Avanunga kooda ellam sernthu nallathu kettadhukku poganum kalandhukanum ninachaave.. NI girls mela oru veruppu vanthuruthu.. I changed my mind ..

its just irritating.. the BRAND.. 20% of them are gud and broad minded but most of them are :x :x .. atleast who are in the US

podalangai
17th March 2007, 01:55 PM
as I have thick moush, I must be from Kerala only !

Cha... doesn't he know every true Tamilian's pride and joy is his thick moustache??

crazy
17th March 2007, 02:02 PM

Cha... doesn't he know every true Tamilian's pride and joy is his thick moustache??

:exactly: :yes:

Lambretta
17th March 2007, 05:40 PM

IMO its the same case everywhere in the south, not jus TN? :?

Shakthiprabha.
17th March 2007, 06:09 PM

IMO its the same case everywhere in the south, not jus TN? :?

:roll: :|

Surya
17th March 2007, 11:00 PM
Majority of Tamils are dark, aren't they? Let's look at it this way. When you see a black person, do you ask him if he's from Germany, even though Germany may have black people? No, you wonder if he's from Nigeria, or some African country.

Actually (since u said U so much) I grew up in the US, so when I see a black person, the first thing that comes to mind is that he is an African American. 8-)

A country is often judged by what its 'rich and famous' do. Explaining this any further is tantamount to stating the obvious.

What do India's Rich and Famous Women do that could possibly lead to that generalization abt snakes? :? Yes! Please state what u call the OBVIOUS! :)

hey wouldn't mind this sort of generalization, cuz it's favorable. I am surprised you don't agree with this point, and instead making excuses.

Again, u asked me, and how I would feel if someone made that generalization. And I just answered ur question.

That point has been clarified, so you changed your mind or what?

Actually no. It hasn't been clarified. When talking abt women and snakes, u said when Indian women stop behaving the way they do, and later u say the country is judged by what it's rich and famous do. :?

Does this mean:
* The Rich and Famous Women in India have a fetish for Snakes?

* They are Sexually Active? If that's what u meant, then it still has nothing to do with the generalization of Indian Women which I had mentioned, to which u responded with "When they change, the generalization will change" :?

Fanaticism in language is related to Hindu Fanaticism. How many secularists discriminate on the basis of language?

Most of the Tamil Fundamentalists associate themselves with Periyar, who was an Atheist and has an image of being Secular. SO YES! Many Language Fundamentalists in Tamil Nadu ARE said to be Seculars and Atheists. :thumbsup: If u really live in Chennai, then you should obviously know this!

Also: Tamil can be associated easily with Dravidianism. Hindi cannot be easily associated with Hindutva. That is a different issue a different department.

If the man @ the station had asked Blahblah to speak in Sanskrit because it was India, then the connection to Hindutva would've made sense! But not in this case. It has nothing to do with Hindutva or Religion. :) So please stop using them as scapegoats for all evils under the Sun. :thumbsup:

Later. :wave:

Lambretta
17th March 2007, 11:28 PM
Good response, Suri kaka! :thumbsup: :D

thamiz
18th March 2007, 02:22 AM

It's a norrow minded, ignorant View! It's similar to saying all Indians Wear Turbans and have beards. Or saying that Indians and Arabs are the same, or that All Indians are just Taxi Drivers in New York, or that Indian women in India masturbate with snakes!!

I cant believe you are repeatedly freely allowed to insult indians and pour your perverted NONSENSE thoughts in a thread like this! :o :o :o

Surya
18th March 2007, 02:57 AM
:? It's another far off generalization! I posted it to show how perverse and far off from the truth these things can be. :thumbsup:

PS: Ur incredibly lucky that u haven't come across someone asking u this in real life! :thumbsup: I on the other hand, wasn't as lucky as u. :cry:

Btw: :yes: I'm Insulting Indians because I said it was false, but Unhappyboy is just fine since he said that those generalizations will exist until women stop behaving that way. :? :o :o

PS2: I can't believe u'd quote it and renew an older post like that, just so u'd have some nonsense to say against me! :o :o :o :o :o :lol:

Surya
18th March 2007, 03:04 AM
Good response, Suri kaka! :thumbsup: :D

:ty: 8-)

thinkfloyd
18th March 2007, 03:38 AM
PS2: I can't believe u'd quote it and renew an older post like that, just so u'd have some nonsense to say against me! :o :o :o :o :o :lol:
Surya,
Don't even bother explaining to her... She never understands what other's post anyways... never... :lol2:

Surya
18th March 2007, 03:51 AM
Surya,
Don't even bother explaining to her... She never understands what other's post anyways... never... :lol2:

:rotfl2: Gotcha!

thamiz
18th March 2007, 05:48 AM
Surya,

Yeah right! 8-)

thamiz
18th March 2007, 06:00 AM
Do Northies hate South Indians?

In general, YES!

* Is their hatred genuine or reasonable or justifiable?

Of course! In their perspective they can see our faults on some issues! :)

* Do south indians ever care about their hatred?

I think we care less about what they think of us! :lol:

Designer
18th March 2007, 06:41 AM
Do Northies hate South Indians?

In general, YES!

* Is their hatred genuine or reasonable or justifiable?

Of course! In their perspective they can see our faults on some issues! :)

* Do south indians ever care about their hatred?

I think we care less about what they think of us! :lol:

thamiz : I have to disagree with you, as it depends where one is living at present. South Indians living outside the Northern belt of India may not care about it, but one would care very much, if one had to live in their midst, in their region. And if you had to witness their hatred or dislike at first hand. They think if you dont know to speak Hindi, one is a children of a lesser God. I had to face some of it during my schooling in Delhi after shifting from Chennai. But I learnt to speak passable Hindi within some months and was not ridiculed for being a SI after that. Part of the reason could be that I for one didnt look like a 'typical Madrasi'. An NI thinks/used to think that all South Indians are dark complexioned, wears spectacles and has oily hair, a very much misconstrued notion IMO. Another reason for my being spared from NI hatred was that, my cousins also studied in the same school and were all fair complexioned in addition to speaking fluent Hindi. So many of my classmates didnt know that I was a 'Madrasi'. But there were a couple of other Tamil students who were dark, and had to bear the brunt of the bullying by the NI students. So in midst of such unfriendly behaviour, all SI (no matter from which state) used to stick together and that helped us to counter the NIs.

My point : For a South Indian living in North India, the topic of this discussion is very relevant and might offer some solace to him/her that he or she is not alone in having faced such hatred from NIs. Such discussions might even offer some solution as to how to counter such hatred/dislike/antipathy from the NI.

A few observations :

An average SI is less aggressive, physically smaller in proportion, than an average NI, so all SIs are considered as soft targets in school, college, etc. Its only when the SI displays similar aggression and gift of the gab in their presence, do the NIs start accepting you as one of them. And at the stage of employment the dislike increases, because the SI generally has nimble brain than the average NI who may be more brawny. Its the former who usually gets the plum government jobs which involve more mental ability than physical dextirity. And the NIs view such jobs greedily since he (or she) can work in the govt job as well as do a side business (in the spouse's name) to provide for a lavish lifestyle. So for this and other such reasons, the NIs have a strong dislike against SIs.

thamiz
18th March 2007, 06:54 AM
Good to know about your experience, Ramky. :)

I never lived or studied in NI. If I were to live there I would learn hindi, first.

I lived in B'lore for a while. So I can speak some kannada and manage.

I believe Rohit might come up with some counter here! :)

Thanks! :)

thamiz
18th March 2007, 08:46 AM
The SAME columnist (cf. page one of this thread) Surya Prakash WRITES!!!

Kannadigas owe a lot to Raj Kumar because they had to contend not only with Hindi dominance but Tamil hegemony as well. This was because of the huge influx of Tamils to Bangalore and several other towns to take up low-end jobs in factories and farms. The Kannadigas, who were much more laid back, thumbed their noses at blue collared jobs.

Four decades ago, the dream of an average Kannadiga was to become a Second Division Clerk in Vidhana Soudha. Then something happened to shake him out of his slumber. The locals realised that they would soon be swamped by the Tamils. Kannadigas stood up to this attitude leading to bloody anti-Tamil riots on a couple of occasions. The problem is not over because the Tamils do not easily merge into their adopted States. It appears as if creating a Karol Bagh wherever they go comes naturally to them. This promotes separateness.

Another set of people who moved into Karnataka were the Sindhis, Marwaris and Punjabis. They set up private businesses and were into money lending. However, the Kapurs and Gills made no secret of their disdain for the Kannada language and culture. But for a popular icon like Raj Kumar, the Tamils and the businessmen from the North would have overrun the place. Raj Kumar was the firewall which protected Kannada. The outpouring of grief that one witnessed on his death was the Kannadiga salute to the man who had enabled them to preserve a language and culture that is over 1,000 years go.

Finally a word about the attack on private cars and new economy businesses in the wake of Raj Kumar's death. The nouveau rich techies who have made Karnataka their home should adopt the language and culture of their adopted State. As the well known litterateur, Dr UR Anantha-murthy, said the other day in a television programme - if you are working in Paris, it would be in your interest to learn French.

Is he against Hindi or Tamil or any other language but kannada??? :lol:

http://www.dailypioneer.com/columnist1.asp?main_variable=Columnist&file_name=SURYA5%2Etxt&writer=SURYA&validit=yes

pavalamani pragasam
18th March 2007, 08:56 AM
Learning Hindi, speaking it fluently, showing the best of our friendly traits sadly to fail to make the Northies think of us as equal Indians, nay human beings!!!

kb
18th March 2007, 09:49 AM
athu ennamo enna maayamo theriyila.. othuvara maatenguthu..
:?

thamiz
18th March 2007, 06:26 PM
kb: Back home, Goa-vilee irukkeengkaLA nIngka?

ungkaLukkumaa intha pirachchinai :?:

thamiz
18th March 2007, 07:31 PM
Learning Hindi, speaking it fluently, showing the best of our friendly traits sadly to fail to make the Northies think of us as equal Indians, nay human beings!!!

PP: I heard even in IIT-kanpur, the faculties were divided into two gps, as NI and SI and dont like each other! :)

rocketboy
18th March 2007, 08:07 PM
I never lived or studied in NI. If I were to live there I would learn hindi, first.

Don't expect any drastic change in their behaviour. Enna minnadi puriyathu
now you'll be able to understand what they are saying when they swear.

KB , vaazhkaiyla ithellam sakajumpa. Ungalluku eppadi north indian pasangala paatha veruppu varuthu enakku Hindi national language , common language , language of the masses mannangatti languagenu soona kovam varum. Enna panrathu :( I agree with your figures that 20% are broad minded and I am lucky to have a few friends who fall in this category.

I think Ramky's post summarizes everything. It all depends on your complexion . If you are fair skinned chances are high that you'll get slightly better treatment . If you are dark be prepared to face the music.

thamiz
19th March 2007, 04:24 AM
I think Ramky's post summarizes everything. It all depends on your complexion . If you are fair skinned chances are high that you'll get slightly better treatment . If you are dark be prepared to face the music.

If at all you care about their comments! In what way it is going to affect your personal life?

I mean "what do we care what other people think of us? "

goodsense
19th March 2007, 04:46 AM
Rockeyboy wrote:

If you are dark be prepared to face the music.

Absolutely! Reminds me of the earlier stages of my court action in UK, one dark woman said to me the approach is "Shut up and stay quiet you darki". Then an Italian girl said to me "Its the colour too you know" - explaining the reason for the blocks. Surely a white person or lighter skin person would be treated favourable in such a situation.

SRS
20th March 2007, 01:39 AM
Rockeyboy wrote:

Absolutely! Reminds me of the earlier stages of my court action in UK, one dark woman said to me the approach is "Shut up and stay quiet you darki". Then an Italian girl said to me "Its the colour too you know" - explaining the reason for the blocks. Surely a white person or lighter skin person would be treated favourable in such a situation.

Personally, I believe the natural complexion of Indians is to be dark; in other words, before there were any foreign invasions, all the Indians were dark. The light-complexion is there as a result of long-term invasions, particularly Muslim/Moghul. That is why one finds the largest percentage of light-skinned in the North instead of the South.

On the question of why so many prefer the light-skin as opposed to the dark. I have heard one fellow say, because the light-skin is a sign of affluency. Whereas, the dark-skin corresponds to manual labor. Perhaps in the time when the caste-system was rigidly enforced, this hypothesis might have had some truth value.

kb
20th March 2007, 04:04 AM
kb: Back home, Goa-vilee irukkeengkaLA nIngka?

ungkaLukkumaa intha pirachchinai :?:

inga USla we have almost gud count of both NIs and SIs atleast in our UNIV...

dandiya dance-nu solli namba ooru kuththaatam thaan potom :wink:

i like their culture and girls :P :P
but somehow cant even bare to speak with brand NI guy

Raghu
20th March 2007, 04:31 PM
I would not say the Northies hate southies, but they do look down on their southern counterpart...

I have lived in Uk for 18 years!, and the majority of Asians here are Gujarati's.Punjabhi's and Pakistanis, then followed by SL tamils!

These Northies ae HIGHLY ignorant idiots, they think for Example, SL is in India and Rajnikanth is Srilankan, and all Tamilans are Sri lankan, when i try to explain that Tamils films are part of Indian film,s these morons dont understand that, they think tamil films are made in SL! :hammer: :banghead: , they think when ever some one says indian film, it means bollywood orHindi films, again this shows the IGNORANCE of these northies...:evil:

when i was at School/college & Uni, No one thinks or thought i am Srilankan, every 1 thinks i am Gujarati or Maharashtrian... the general conception these northies have about Southies & Srilankans are that all these ppl UGLY! :x :evil: :twisted:

Litle did they know 3/4 of Indians are brown skinned or dark

IGNORANCE is BLISS, EGO is a way to SELF DESTRUCTION!,

any way...

Raghu
20th March 2007, 04:44 PM
Rockeyboy wrote:

Personally, I believe the natural complexion of Indians is to be dark; in other words, before there were any foreign invasions, all the Indians were dark. The light-complexion is there as a result of long-term invasions, particularly Muslim/Moghul. That is why one finds the largest percentage of light-skinned in the North instead of the South.

SRS welcome back after a LONG time :D , yes you are 100% about what you wrote above...

unhappyboy
20th March 2007, 04:56 PM

True, but tell that to Northies, and they may accuse you of being jealous. :roll: Most people prefer closing their eyes to reality.

SRS
20th March 2007, 06:42 PM
SRS welcome back after a LONG time :D , yes you are 100% about what you wrote above...

Thank you, thank you, Raghu. Nice to see you again too.

thamiz
20th March 2007, 09:07 PM
These Northies ae HIGHLY ignorant idiots, they think for Example, SL is in India and Rajnikanth is Srilankan, and all Tamilans are Sri lankan, when i try to explain that Tamils films are part of Indian film,s these morons dont understand that, they think tamil films are made in SL! :hammer: :banghead: , they think when ever some one says indian film, it means bollywood orHindi films, again this shows the IGNORANCE of these northies...:evil:

You must have met some strange north indinas! :lol:

Raghu
21st March 2007, 03:55 PM

Ilaingo, normally these moguls Aryans are IGNORANT!

Nakeeran
21st March 2007, 03:59 PM
Raghuji

Aryans enge vandhanga inge !

Oh. probably U think that Ravan was a Dravidian ? and Ram was an Aryan

Nakeeran
21st March 2007, 04:01 PM
Well guys, I have been living in Mumbai for long & there is no such discrimination like Southie or a Northie .
Where did u all find this indifference ?

joe
21st March 2007, 04:20 PM
Finally I agree with Raghu in this matter :)

dsath
21st March 2007, 04:22 PM

Most 'Northies' in the UK can be described as British-Asian rather than North Indians. They are second generation 'Northies' born and bred in the UK and many have emigrated from African countries like Kenya. The entire link they have with India is the tradition and culture. Sometimes i find them following the Indian rituals more so than Indians (born and bred in India). Naturally their knowledge about diversity of India is limited and the typical stereotype image of Southies they have is from Bollywood movies.
As Raghu mentioned most of the Tamilians settled in the UK come from SL and hence the association of Tamilians with SL. Many people are surprised to hear that there are Tamilians in India also !!! They are more accustomed to the term Madrasi and Madras - the land of Masala Dosai !!!!
Its ignorance more than discrimination i suppose.

Raghu
21st March 2007, 04:23 PM
Raghuji

Aryans enge vandhanga inge !

Oh. probably U think that Ravan was a Dravidian ? and Ram was an Aryan

Naradhare

Ramayan was in the Satya Yuga, there were no Aryan , Dravidian cultue that time!!!

Raghu
21st March 2007, 04:25 PM

Most 'Northies' in the UK can be described as British-Asian rather than North Indians. They are second generation 'Northies' born and bred in the UK and many have emigrated from African countries like Kenya. The entire link they have with India is the tradition and culture. Sometimes i find them following the Indian rituals more so than Indians (born and bred in India). Naturally their knowledge about diversity of India is limited and the typical stereotype image of Southies they have is from Bollywood movies.
As Raghu mentioned most of the Tamilians settled in the UK come from SL and hence the association of Tamilians with SL. Many people are surprised to hear that there are Tamilians in India also !!! They are more accustomed to the term Madrasi and Madras - the land of Masala Dosai !!!!
Its ignorance more than discrimination i suppose. :exactly:

Designer
21st March 2007, 04:38 PM
Well guys, I have been living in Mumbai for long & there is no such discrimination like Southie or a Northie .

I dont know much Mumbai, but I think it's a city of an amalgamation of various cultures, maybe where no single creed dominates it, maybe not even Marathis. But if you take a city like Delhi or other places in North India, you will find such discrimination, where the majority of the populace speak Hindi and have cultural similarity with each other. Compared to that, the South Indian appears to be in contrast, in cultural aspects as well as appearance. I have witnessed this indifference in Delhi (inspite of it being a Cosmopolitan city) having lived there for more than a decade.

(I have already written in prev pages reg this)

Lambretta
21st March 2007, 05:42 PM
I have witnessed this indifference in Delhi (inspite of it being a Cosmopolitan city) having lived there for more than a decade.
Uh, on a not-too-related note, I didnt know u've lived in Delhi as well....! :shock:
So tats how u knew so many places' names in Delhi in ur 'quo vadis' story! :)

Wer u living w/ ur family there?

podalangai
21st March 2007, 06:02 PM

You have obviously not lived in Mumbai during the 1980s, when my sister and I had our scholarships declared invalid because we were "Madrasis". Or when the Shiv Sena used to declare "Sundar Mumbai Marathi Mumbai" and prevent trains from Madras from entering Mumbai.

Believe me, that sentiment still exists very strongly amongst the rank and file of the Marathi Manoos. As long as you don't fit the picture of the Madrasi, you're fine. The moment you start doing and saying things that paint you as a Madrasi, the prejudice starts coming to the fore. :(

Nakeeran
21st March 2007, 06:23 PM
Marathi Manoos are up against everyone , not mere SIs caz, the city is totally dominated by guys from other states . This is their main concern.
I have been their since childhood & have moved with various sections as well. hence the conclusion .

Dunno about Delhi however.

Nakeeran
21st March 2007, 06:25 PM
Marathi Manoos are up against everyone , not mere SIs caz, the city is totally dominated by guys from other states . This is their main concern.
I have been their since childhood & have moved with various sections as well. hence the conclusion .

Nakeeran
21st March 2007, 06:26 PM

kannannn
21st March 2007, 06:59 PM
True!! The main grievance of Marathis is that Bombay has lost its Marathi roots. This first manifested in the protests against Udupi restaurants and has stayed on ever since. My wife gets annoyed when she asks for something in Marathi and gets the reply in Hindi - that's akin to going to a shop in Chennai and finding that the shopkeeper can't speak Tamil. Can't really blame them. But it is at times like these that I am grateful for our Dravidian movement.

MADDY
21st March 2007, 07:24 PM

hmm.....thats sad actually.......Mumbai is dominated by Gujratis, maarvadis,UP/Biharis, Tamilians/Kannadigas and Marathis are marginalised here.....but, the problem here is, the growth of Mumbai is due to all the above groups, so they dont have the right to even ask a single group to move out of mumbai

and abt north-south distinction in Mumbai.......yes, i have faced discrimination but they can be dismissed as something jovial and tolerable......they used to call me Madhrasi,anna......which was ok.....but they think tamilians dont take bath properly.....which used to hurt sometimes........they used to put it comically but yeah even Dean jones called that SA guy a terrorist jokingly isnt it??.....they stereotype, generalise south Indians.....sab madhrasi log aisi hi re..... :banghead: ...

but on a serious level, like workplaces, they respect southies a lot.......they know that tamilians are very efficient ppl. who complete their work.......so southies are the toast of managers there :wink: .........also, while searching houses for rent etc, they accept south indians immediately cos they know we dont talk rules and capture the house :lol:

i've heard that Delhiites are much worse with their stereotyping of southies......... :roll:

Designer
21st March 2007, 07:41 PM
Shyam : ya, and I did my grad & most of my schooling in Delhi :)

I have witnessed this indifference in Delhi (inspite of it being a Cosmopolitan city) having lived there for more than a decade.
Uh, on a not-too-related note, I didnt know u've lived in Delhi as well....! :shock:
So tats how u knew so many places' names in Delhi in ur 'quo vadis' story! :)

Wer u living w/ ur family there?

Designer
21st March 2007, 07:49 PM
Sudhir : very true - Delhites are defly not a delight reg this aspect !

---------------
i've heard that Delhiites are much worse with their stereotyping of southies......... :roll:

podalangai
21st March 2007, 07:50 PM
True!! The main grievance of Marathis is that Bombay has lost its Marathi roots. This first manifested in the protests against Udupi restaurants and has stayed on ever since. My wife gets annoyed when she asks for something in Marathi and gets the reply in Hindi - that's akin to going to a shop in Chennai and finding that the shopkeeper can't speak Tamil. Can't really blame them. But it is at times like these that I am grateful for our Dravidian movement.

Mumbai does not really have Marathi roots, and Maharashtrians were not even the largest group in the city for nearly its entire history. But since it is surrounded by Maharashtra, I can see why Maharashtrians feel the sense of ownership they do, and since it is now a part of Maharashtra, they obviously have the right to insist that everyone learns Marathi. I used to speak it quite fluently when I lived there, though it's faded a bit now that it's been so many years.

However, my point is that even if you learn Marathi, you are still considered an outsider, unlike Tamil Nadu where non-Tamils who learn Tamil can even head major political parties. :)

thamiz
21st March 2007, 08:36 PM
Its ignorance more than discrimination i suppose.

Ignorace is a perfect answer for any proble, crisis controversy. NI Ragu met are ignorant and so is our unhappyboy!

Do you get mad at people those who are ignornat or try educate them ?

It all depends on how time one he has to spend on that issue! :)

BTW, How can a NI discriminate a SI ?

SI in general think that they are SUPERIOR to NI or at least not inferior to anyone despite the fact that they have a darker complexion !

I dont think, discrimination is a serious issue as SI in general has little respect for NI and I dont know why but that is the fact!.

If you go to any top institute SI are almost more than 30-40% strength. So intellectually they never feel inferior to NI either!

kannannn
21st March 2007, 08:40 PM
Mumbai does not really have Marathi roots, and Maharashtrians were not even the largest group in the city for nearly its entire history. But since it is surrounded by Maharashtra, I can see why Maharashtrians feel the sense of ownership they do, and since it is now a part of Maharashtra, they obviously have the right to insist that everyone learns Marathi. I used to speak it quite fluently when I lived there, though it's faded a bit now that it's been so many years.
I stand corrected :). But a majority of Mumbaikars are still Marathis and they have fought quite hard to retain Mumbai in Maharashtra. So, as you said their feelings are justified.

However, my point is that even if you learn Marathi, you are still considered an outsider, unlike Tamil Nadu where non-Tamils who learn Tamil can even head major political parties. :)
Very true!! Infact, I don't think anywhere else in India an outsider can head the government, leave alone the political parties.

dsath
21st March 2007, 10:29 PM
[tscii:a7ec6ee904]
Very true!! Infact, I don't think anywhere else in India an outsider can head the government, leave alone the political parties.
Well we do have Sonia Gandhi almost running the country. May be we(Tamilians) accept people who are ready to accept our culture/ideology - None of the national political parties are able to get a strong foothold in TamilNadu. Makes me think that we are conservative enough to protect our ideology and our culture, but liberal enough to accept outside influence.
I very much want to believe that we don’t care about the NI discrimination mainly based on our skin tone. But sadly that is not the case. The popularity of the fairness products, the demands for fair bride in matrimonial columns and the ever increasing imported heroines from Bollywood in our movies speak for themselves.
:(
[/tscii:a7ec6ee904]

podalangai
21st March 2007, 10:46 PM
[tscii:26bfd7b43c]
I very much want to believe that we don’t care about the NI discrimination mainly based on our skin tone. But sadly that is not the case. The popularity of the fairness products, the demands for fair bride in matrimonial columns and the ever increasing imported heroines from Bollywood in our movies speak for themselves.

And let's not forget that wonderful euphemism, "wheatish complexion." I have no idea what kind of bizarre mutant wheat people have in mind when they describe someone like me as having a "wheatish complexion." [/tscii:26bfd7b43c]

goodsense
21st March 2007, 11:04 PM
Podalangai wrote:

"And let's not forget that wonderful euphemism, "wheatish complexion." I have no idea what kind of bizarre mutant wheat people have in mind when they describe someone like me as having a "wheatish complexion."

Just felt like logging in to share a laugh.

kannannn
21st March 2007, 11:17 PM
Well we do have Sonia Gandhi almost running the country.
The operative word being 'Gandhi'. They wouldn't think twice of making a Martian their leader if he were to be inducted into the Gandhi household.

Surya
22nd March 2007, 02:33 AM
And let's not forget that wonderful euphemism, "wheatish complexion." I have no idea what kind of bizarre mutant wheat people have in mind when they describe someone like me as having a "wheatish complexion."

:rotfl: :rotfl:

dsath
22nd March 2007, 02:35 AM
They wouldn't think twice of making a Martian their leader if he were to be inducted into the Gandhi household.
I am in complete agreement with that.

Raghu
22nd March 2007, 05:07 PM

Yes, Thamizh, i do get mad, though i am good teacher :-), u c Thamizh, ppl must have the willingness to think or search for knowledge , of course none1 can know EVERYTHING, but one must be searching for knowledge and start thinking

No matter how many times, i explain about history, evolution etc etc, they still think Rajnikanth is Sri Lankan and all tamil films are mad in SL, any1 who is dark skinned or have a moustache is a tamilian so what 2 do?

I gave up eventually, like NOV (the moderator) says, NEVER ARGUE WITH THE FOOLS :lol:

unhappyboy
27th March 2007, 11:17 PM

Yes, Thamizh, i do get mad, though i am good teacher :-), u c Thamizh, ppl must have the willingness to think or search for knowledge , of course none1 can know EVERYTHING, but one must be searching for knowledge and start thinking

No matter how many times, i explain about history, evolution etc etc, they still think Rajnikanth is Sri Lankan and all tamil films are mad in SL, any1 who is dark skinned or have a moustache is a tamilian so what 2 do?

I gave up eventually, like NOV (the moderator) says, NEVER ARGUE WITH THE FOOLS :lol:

To finally give a balanced, objective perspective, though, I'll have to agree with the Northies. I am forced to. This is because Tamils are obsessed with dravidian politics with separatism and all that goes with it, hence they're always viewed with suspicion. Can't blame the northies, they're patriotic and don't appreciate people who want to break up the nation. Which doesn't mean tamils aren't patriots, but it so happens that they're invariably regionalists rather than nationalists.

nemesis786
27th March 2007, 11:32 PM
And let's not forget that wonderful euphemism, "wheatish complexion." I have no idea what kind of bizarre mutant wheat people have in mind when they describe someone like me as having a "wheatish complexion."

:rotfl:

yes even i dont know what kind of complexion is that... do they mean they have grains on their skins? :lol2:

thamiz
29th March 2007, 09:58 PM
Funny how these dumb NIs drool over whiteys who can't speak Hindi, but refuse to extend the same courtesy to SIs, who also face similar problems. :lol: If whiteys can't speak Hindi, these NIs justify it by saying they're from another country etc. etc. But SIs are also brought up to speak their respective languages, so why the hell do NIs expect them to speak Hindi?

To finally give a balanced, objective perspective, though, I'll have to agree with the Northies. I am forced to. This is because Tamils are obsessed with dravidian politics with separatism and all that goes with it, hence they're always viewed with suspicion. Can't blame the northies, they're patriotic and don't appreciate people who want to break up the nation. Which doesn't mean tamils aren't patriots, but it so happens that they're invariably regionalists rather than nationalists.

Totally, contradicting to what he claimed in the beginning !!!

* What does this hubber really want ?

* Cause some trouble and provoke people unnecessarily ?

* Or just "carefully planned" to annoy,irritate people with some nonsense without any consisttency or whatsoever!! :?:

seran
10th April 2007, 12:51 PM

* Or just "carefully planned" to annoy,irritate people with some nonsense without any consisttency or whatsoever!! :?:
Yes, I'm totally confused with what he is talking about. A similar contradicting statement he made
http://forumhub.mayyam.com/hub/viewtopic.php?p=980941#980941

unhappyboy
10th April 2007, 07:51 PM

Yes, I'm totally confused with what he is talking about. A similar contradicting statement he made
http://forumhub.mayyam.com/hub/viewtopic.php?p=980941#980941

THere's no point in complaining. SIs are imagining demons under the bed. While dravidian politicians advocate 'hate NI' idea for their political benefits, common man in SI is fooled by all this propaganda. Do not fall for this. 8-)

thamiz
10th April 2007, 10:31 PM
SI is fooled by all this propaganda. Do not fall for this.
Do not fall for this. 8-)

Yeah, DONT! :lol:

I mean dont fall for Unhappyboy's "stories"! :lol:

It is a pity, he has not understood yet that HE CANT FOOL south indians using all his "silly tricks" and "childish farce" he comes up with, as he lacks skills for that! :rotfl:

maithree
11th April 2007, 12:54 AM

:rotfl:

yes even i dont know what kind of complexion is that... do they mean they have grains on their skins? :lol2:

Another thing I hear us tamils say often "Elimbicha pazha color" :? :?

I guess those ppl look like The Simpsons! :lol2:

kb
11th April 2007, 06:57 AM
kushila jo idupa paathirupa illa.. antha colour :oops: :oops:

smith
11th April 2007, 10:22 AM
Northies are always biased towards southies. hey refer to them derisively as madrasis. I was once surprised to see a programme in delhi. There was a concert by shakti fuson group. The famous table player Zakhir hussain (part of the group) was introducing his fellow group members. He referred to each of them by name & their instrument. When the trun came for Vinayakaram, the ghatam exponent, he said "this is vinayakaram from the south".

There was absolutely no need for this. Did he say " so & so is from the west, from the east etc.,"?

Another incident reported in The Week which went largely unnoticed.

When C.Subramaniam was Governor of Maharashtra, he presided over the function for awarding the Mah sammelan award to lata mangeshkar. When her turn cam,e she simply refused to accept the award from him & insisted on CM sharad pawar handing over the award to him. Disgraceful!

I can quote various such incidents. I have colleagues in my office who are from pune. Irrespective of where they are, the moment a group is formed, they converse in marathi (not even hindi) in utter disregard to the people around them.

The North south divide has only worsened over the years. And they say "unity in diversity". That's a BIG JOKE.

unhappyboy
11th April 2007, 05:49 PM
Northies are always biased towards southies. hey refer to them derisively as madrasis. I was once surprised to see a programme in delhi. There was a concert by shakti fuson group. The famous table player Zakhir hussain (part of the group) was introducing his fellow group members. He referred to each of them by name & their instrument. When the trun came for Vinayakaram, the ghatam exponent, he said "this is vinayakaram from the south".

There was absolutely no need for this. Did he say " so & so is from the west, from the east etc.,"?

When C.Subramaniam was Governor of Maharashtra, he presided over the function for awarding the Mah sammelan award to lata mangeshkar. When her turn cam,e she simply refused to accept the award from him & insisted on CM sharad pawar handing over the award to him. Disgraceful!

I can quote various such incidents. I have colleagues in my office who are from pune. Irrespective of where they are, the moment a group is formed, they converse in marathi (not even hindi) in utter disregard to the people around them.

The North south divide has only worsened over the years. And they say "unity in diversity". That's a BIG JOKE.

In the first case, is it possible that the guy was trying to be nice and wanted everyone to know the man is from south? Is it due to respect for SIs?

In the second case, did Lata Mangeshwar refuse because the gov. was Southie? If so, how do you know for sure?

Finally, if you were in NI and suddenly you meet three or four SIs, wouldn't you all talk in tamil? Or, will you talk in English?

thamiz
12th April 2007, 01:31 AM

Are you saying south indians never iinsult northies just like they do? :roll:

Then you have not seen the real world yet! :lol:

thilak4life
12th April 2007, 02:08 AM
Northies are the biggest bigoted racists you will ever meet. They think twice before they speak to a south indian guy. They think all of us are dumb-kappi-koodikura-idli-sambar case. I don't agree with 'dumb' part. But I am proud of being the rest. If they think it's not that hip enough, Avanga yellarum konjam beeda poduradha nirutha sollanum..next, English pesuradhu olunga pesa sollanum(and they blame us), next: don't look at south indians like 'Untouchables'. If you do that: we don't madichify and don't even care a damn!

Northies(majority of them) in short, are narcissist idiots. They peeve me easily. I don't like them but I do have couple of really good friends..they are goody-goody in essence, maybe they look at me with contempt or disdain..I don't know! I have always talked adversely of the northies to them. They seem to agree with most of my complaints.

Hulkster
12th April 2007, 07:30 AM
Guys i know this should have been done earlier..but how did this NI-SI divide come about..arent they supposedly the same blood as dravidians?..(NI should be dravidians-Aryans mix i supposed).

Badri
12th April 2007, 07:36 AM
I see nothing in this thread but rants and hate! From the posts in this thread it looks like the title is a bit misguided! It should've probably been Do South Indians hate Northies!!

Anyway, any kind of racism is not what the Hub wishes to promote. I am locking this thread. PM the moderators if you have any genuine reasons why this thread should be allowed to continue.