PDA

View Full Version : RAAM By Yuvan

MrJudge
26th December 2004, 12:56 AM
The trailer is available at the officical site... www.raamthemovie.com . The preview looks interesting. His Mounam Pesiyathe was ok, but from this movie, Ameer will strike gold.

MrJudge
3rd January 2005, 08:50 PM
The background score is excellent when the chasing happens in the woods......Hope the audio comes out soon.

MrJudge
12th January 2005, 06:23 PM
Just got hold of the album. From the first listening, i would say that this a definite hattrick for Yuvan. The album has 7 tracks including one music bit and one repeat. Here is the list of tracks:

1. Boom boom - Yuvan, Jyotsna, Premji, Tippu
2. Arrariraro - KJJesudas
3. Vidigindra Pozhuthu - Madhumitha
4. Yaaro arivaal - Madhu Balakrishnan
5. Manidhan solkindra - KJJesudas, Vijay Jesudas, Ranjith
6. Nizhalinai nijamum - Vijay Jesudas, Yuvan (repeat of number 3)
7. Music Bit

All songs are penned by Snehan. Will post my review sooon...

MrJudge
13th January 2005, 11:02 AM
After couple of listenings, I would say that this album is excellent. I wrote a review and posted it on Mouthshut. It will be online soon. Has anybody listened to it? Any thoughts?

MrJudge
13th January 2005, 01:17 PM
My review on Raam at mouthshut:

http://www.mouthshut.com/review/Raam_Album-68412-1.html

p
15th January 2005, 09:05 AM
rAm now available at
http://www.raaga.com/channels/tamil/movie/T0000660.html

RR
15th January 2005, 11:01 AM
MrJudge: Good review but you couldn't avoid the Yuvan bias, could you? ;) If there's no copyright problem, why don't you post it here. I had to try several times before I succeeded connecting mouthshut.

My comments:
'aaraariraro' is very good (based on kapi), but why KJY? Well, I shd be happy yuvan didn't give it to PBS.
Madhumita - another Harini in the making. I've liked her sweet voice since 'mudhan mudhalaai','kanaa kaanum kaalangal'. But 'bhavam' needs more work.
'yaaro aRivaal vidhi aRivaaro' - Good, but MadhuB sings it, yaaro arivaal vidhi arivaaro, as though he wants help in kitchen :D
manidhan solgindra - My favorite in this album. Starts with a mukhari theme (nice & catchy), then goes to sindhu Bairavi, etc. Pacy song. I think 'vijay yesudas' voice will fit Jeeva (whether or not this guy fits the movie).
nizhilinai - Yuvan sounds out of tune :(

Overall, a pretty good album with less of techno and more melodies (compared to Manmadhan).

MrJudge
15th January 2005, 08:52 PM
RR:

MrJudge: Good review but you couldn't avoid the Yuvan bias, could you?

If there's no copyright problem, why don't you post it here. I had to try several times before I succeeded connecting mouthshut.

I don't think they have any copyrights over members' reviews. But mouthshut has nice features to track if people actullay reads your reviews or not. In old df, there is no way you will see how many people read them.. So I post there.

'aaraariraro' is very good (based on kapi), but why KJY? Well, I shd be happy yuvan didn't give it to PBS.
What's wrong with kjj's voice in that song? His voice suits this kind of song very much. Who do you think would have done a better job?

slperson1
16th January 2005, 12:27 AM
this album is alot better then mounam pesiyadhe.i was worried after seeing the trailor that he would mess up by giving numbers that didnt suit the movie,but he has come thru.this is much better then manmadhan overall.i hope the director takes care of the movie well and doesnt make a messy crime thriller like most tamil directors do.hopefully these songs just show up in the background.

MumbaiRamki
16th January 2005, 01:26 AM
RAAM is definetely much much better than Manmadhan :evil:

The numbers are very much fresh ,except soem irrating sounds that are used and shades of Raaja ARR mix can be seen ...

But soem how i feel the killer song is not in this album ,but definetely this album is gonna be abig hit if teh movie does well ....

Definetely teh magazines ar egoing to give reviews for yuvan's music ..No doubt in this .......

Its yuvan show all the way ...

MrJudge
16th January 2005, 11:20 AM
Mumbai Ramki:

Irritating sounds? What I loved most in this album is the way he used techno sounds for pathos songs. I think he has mixed it well. Also the sophistication in the rhymthm section is another positive thing.

Kumanan
16th January 2005, 12:03 PM
Nilalinai Nijamum Pirinthiduma is awesome!! Vijay Jesudas gets in the mood of a troubled kid and sings. I heard a lot of Vijay Jesudas song but its hard to extract it apart from this song.

RR
16th January 2005, 12:40 PM
What's wrong with kjj's voice in that song?

I'm surprised you asked this question. Just listen to the lines 'ulagathil ulla bandhangal ellaam nee solli thanthaaye' (charanam 1) and 'thaaye nee endhan magalaai' near the end, and you'll see what's wrong.

IMO, SPB or Hariharan would've easily done a better job while still bringing out the soul.

magix
16th January 2005, 12:54 PM
cudn't help chuckling at the Poll.. :)

MumbaiRamki
17th January 2005, 12:07 PM
Nattmai ...
Of course the use of synthetic sounds is lesser in this album ,except at some points in that Madhumati song ....

-But thsi album is definetly a refreshing change ,esp teh use of kerala instruments in all the songs is definetely aplus for this ......But unless the movie does well ,teh songs won't be a hit ...

MrJudge
17th January 2005, 04:34 PM
Mumbai Ramki:

But unless the movie does well ,teh songs won't be a hit ...

I think the audio will be a hit, doesn't matter what happens to the movie. The audio will stand out from the current crops. :)

interz
17th January 2005, 08:04 PM
three songs with jesudas ?? does his voice even fit jeeva (the hero in this movie)

but other wise decent youthful track

sureshmehcnit
20th January 2005, 02:27 PM
Here is My review of the album

http://www.mouthshut.com/review/Raam_Album-68676-1.html

NagaS
20th January 2005, 05:28 PM
'Aaraariraaroo' is too good, I am yet to listen to other songs from RAM, But this one is near perfect, and will go as one of the very best Yuvan has composed so far ! (ofcourse, IMO :-))

NagaS

ahmedrockinblues
21st January 2005, 03:05 AM
man..what an album...Yuvans at his innnovative best.To bring the best out of the BOOM BOOM song u need a real good music system.I was fortunate enuff to listen it from a friends Lynn car audio system..i was kinda mesmerised by the Aaraariraro song.This kid will go places...its written all over..wish his vanished wullam album got its due.Ameer for heavens sake do justice to the young guns good work

MumbaiRamki
21st January 2005, 04:18 AM
NagaS,
Nizhalinai Nijamum kettu parunga ..super ...I would say this album would be one of the Yuvan's best ....

MrJudge
21st January 2005, 10:43 AM
ahmedrockinblues:

Ameer for heavens sake do justice to the young guns good work

Yesterday I happened to watch his en anbe en anbe from Mounam Pesiyathe, visuals were good. I think Ameer will do justice for these songs as well. The movie is coming out on 28th of Jan, ie. next friday....

NagaS
21st January 2005, 11:03 AM
I liked all songs from 'Ram' (Esp aaraariraaro, manithan selgindRa and madhumitha's song), and I am eager to watch the movie also - this guy ameer worked under 'bala' for 'sedhu' and 'nandha', and after pithamagan was released, he issued a bad statement against bala (you-are-also-a-masala-director kind of statement) - lets see what he is able to do now in his own production !

NagaS

MrJudge
21st January 2005, 12:53 PM
I liked all songs from 'Ram' (Esp aaraariraaro, manithan selgindRa and madhumitha's song), and I am eager to watch the movie also - this guy ameer worked under 'bala' for 'sedhu' and 'nandha', and after pithamagan was released, he issued a bad statement against bala (you-are-also-a-masala-director kind of statement) - lets see what he is able to do now in his own production !

NagaS

NagaS:

Glad to see that you liked it... many people will like this album for sure. I think Ameer and Bala were friends even before they came to the industry, they did every wrong doing together. And he is angry about Bala using ganja backgroudns in pithamagan.

NagaS
21st January 2005, 01:42 PM
But I am yet to get "Ram" CD in bangalore :( - anybody got it here ?

NagaS

Sanjeevi
23rd January 2005, 06:10 PM
RAM is definitely a neat album like Mounam Pasiyadey.

YSR done a worthable job. My Rating

1) Nilalinai
2) Vidiginra
3) Ararori
4) Manithan

Especially the Nilalina song has fantastic tune and music composition.

Now yuvan's trend is one most beautiful song and rest supporting songs. On the way Nilalinai is that song for the album. I am sure that it is another Kadhal Valarthen, Kan Pesum Vaarthaigal.

Now, Yuvan is the only tamil MD who is giving greate and successful, powerful melody (also placed in top of the chart)

NagaS
24th January 2005, 10:15 AM
RAM Cassettes / CDs are still not available in bangalore ... very bad :(

NagaS

mohan02
24th January 2005, 04:31 PM
Raam is also not yet released in Singapore. But many sites are claiming falsely that they have CD-rip versions......which is all not true at all......

Hope someone really does post CD-rip version. Anyone [plssss]

MrJudge
30th January 2005, 10:17 AM
Got hold of CD now.... The cd is rightly priced at Rs.65-00. The music bit is the only missing track (I don't think that is a must-hear track anyway) I think songs sound much better in Cd than in the cassette. I recommend to go for cds if you haven't bought the album yet. This album just rocks...

chinivaaz
30th January 2005, 10:06 PM
Nizhalinai nijamum and vidiginra pozhudhu are the best,,,but they are the same tune..with idfferent words and voices and music...

chinivaaz
31st January 2005, 12:23 AM
are the songs available onm the net..meanin good quality ones?

NagaS
31st January 2005, 12:09 PM
MrJudge,

Got hold of CD now.... The cd is rightly priced at Rs.65-00. The music bit is the only missing track (I don't think that is a must-hear track anyway) I think songs sound much better in Cd than in the cassette. I recommend to go for cds if you haven't bought the album yet. This album just rocks...

Where did you get the CD ? I don't see it in banglore till yesterday :(

NagaS

Sanjeevi
31st January 2005, 04:29 PM
Yes the CD is priced at 65.

I have bought it and enjoying the music

Thanks for Star Music

MrJudge
31st January 2005, 04:34 PM
MrJudge,

Where did you get the CD ? I don't see it in banglore till yesterday :(

NagaS

I got it at Musicworld, spencer plaza., chennai.

Not sure why it is not available in Bangalore still, Any movement against releasing new albums of other languages there? :)

MrJudge
31st January 2005, 04:37 PM
Instead of selling original CDs for 95 or 125, if it is 65 many people will go for them. This way will limit the piracy for sure to a certain extent.

NagaS
31st January 2005, 05:27 PM
Not sure why it is not available in Bangalore still, Any movement against releasing new albums of other languages there? :)

Ayyo thalaivaa, don't give ideas to vaattaaL Nagaraj & Co :)

Let me search again in Music World today / tomorrow ...

NagaS

Cinefan
1st February 2005, 03:54 PM
http://www.indiaglitz.com/channels/tamil/article/12978.html

Ram is top of the charts

kalai
1st February 2005, 04:56 PM
RAM Audio CD is available at
Music World, Brigade Road, Bangalore.

NagaS
1st February 2005, 05:34 PM
thanks for the info kalai - let me try today ...

NagaS

MrJudge
1st February 2005, 05:37 PM
Ayyo thalaivaa, don't give ideas to vaattaaL Nagaraj & Co :)

vaattaal Nagaraj-a? pere romba galeeja irukke? :)

NagaS
1st February 2005, 06:49 PM
vaattaaL Nagaraj theriyaathaa ? Adadaaaaaaaaaaaaa

he is one of the top anti-tamil leaders in karnataka ... ithukkumaela google-la thedunga, naan sonnaa ennai vettiduvaanga :-?

NagaS

k_vanan
3rd February 2005, 04:14 PM
No. 1 in audio sales
http://sify.com/movies/tamil/fullstory.php?id=13661969

NagaS
3rd February 2005, 04:27 PM
kalai, thanks for the info, I got Ram CD in MW, Brigade Road :-D

Any idea if IR's "Achuvinte Amma" is available anywhere in bangalore ? It was not there in MW,

NagaS

kalai
3rd February 2005, 04:57 PM
NagaS

I dont hv any idea on IR's "Achuvinte Amma".
Can u elaborate on it?

- Kalai

NagaS
3rd February 2005, 06:49 PM
Kalai,

Its IR's latest mallu album - you can find it in musicindiaonline.com

NagaS

NagaS
3rd February 2005, 06:51 PM
As the first post in this thread says, looks like YSR has got a hat-trick (7G-Manmadhan-Ram),.

Ram Songs are very nice and the news about its sales is also encouraging. If the audio company themselves confirm that its sales is better than thiruppaachchi and ji, its a great news !

NagaS

sanje
3rd February 2005, 07:48 PM
y isnt ram available to download

MrJudge
4th February 2005, 01:34 PM
The movie is slated to be released on Feb 11th, next friday.....

Kumanan
5th February 2005, 08:48 PM
Raam in good quality for listening purposes.

http://www.isaimania.com/new/index.php?id=633

Please listen and rate clips.

Vaz
5th February 2005, 09:24 PM
You can get good quality MP3z at tamiltricks.com

Songs are good... But when listening to the whole album I'm just saturating with the voices (father & son).

slperson1
6th February 2005, 01:26 AM
anyone have the theme music in good quality?

slperson1
6th February 2005, 10:16 PM
The songs are good but they all song too similair keeping it from being as great as it could be (with the exception of Boom Boom which is away from the rest) This is prolli due to the same voices in all the songs.This was prolli the directors decision to give the same tone threw out the movie.

curryleaf
7th February 2005, 01:14 AM
you can download the songs at tamilbeat.com

ahmedrockinblues
9th February 2005, 01:07 AM
Raam is a pathbreaking album.YSR is maturing quickly into a serious composer.Wish the movie comes out good,the trailer is quite promising..

sullan
9th February 2005, 02:03 AM
boom boom 0:47 sounds like snow

Cinefan
9th February 2005, 10:18 AM
http://in.rediff.com/movies/2005/feb/08spice.htm

"Yuvan Shankar rocks" says the above link.keep scrolling down the article.

ravi_33
10th February 2005, 12:48 PM
http://www.hindu.com/mp/2005/02/10/stories/2005021000530300.htm

"Yuvan is a Phenomenon"

dinesh2002
13th February 2005, 08:14 AM
very very good album from YSR..finnaly YSR is making it Big after such loooooong time...im happy all his current 3 albums are major super hit!! im so happy for him...he alwiz a good composer since the start...never forget his old album Povellam Kettupar !! that was a masterpeice!!! finnaly Tamil music is recovered from all the DAPPA from HJ,Srikant Deva,and all other low MD's!!

Jacky
13th February 2005, 05:16 PM
Not as brilliant as Povellam Kettupar yet this is definitely a decent attempt by yuvan.
Nizahlinai nijamum has a flavor of yuvan's earlier song "poi solla intha manasuku theriyavillai".

ravi_33
16th February 2005, 08:32 PM
http://www.indiaglitz.com/channels/tamil/article/13248.html

Yuvan Rocks

UnlimitedMeals
19th February 2005, 11:46 AM
Heard one song.. Boom Boom..

Cannot believe YSr has matured so much in world sounds... great path! I have always supported as a ARR fan...

world music is the way to go... one world.. one music....

xml
19th February 2005, 06:14 PM
YSR is the God of TFM.

slperson1
20th February 2005, 12:21 AM
*scratches head*
i thought nataraja or some god dealing with the arts would be.
ithu enna puthusa irukathu?

xml
20th February 2005, 11:28 AM
YSR is the only MD gives continous hit in TFM now.

slperson1
22nd February 2005, 05:01 AM
what was BOSE?

Sudalai
22nd February 2005, 01:37 PM
what was BOSE?

What..??

slperson1
22nd February 2005, 07:15 PM
People seem to forget the failure of Bose

NagaS
23rd February 2005, 11:21 AM
I don't know how good Bose did commercially, but it had two good songs - nijamaa and vaiththa kaNN !

NagaS

Cinefan
23rd February 2005, 04:08 PM
Intha 'Raam'padam eppo TN-le release aayi,eppo Bangalore-kku vanthu,atha naan eppo paarthu :(

NOV
23rd February 2005, 04:23 PM
*scratches head*
i thought nataraja or some god dealing with the arts would be.
oh.... saraswathy has been demoted?
Things are happening too fast for me. :(

NagaS
23rd February 2005, 05:01 PM
Intha 'Raam'padam eppo TN-le release aayi,eppo Bangalore-kku vanthu,atha naan eppo paarthu :(

Its the problem with all 'first-time-producer' movies, the release date will change atleast four / five times before it sees the limelight - in case of "Ram", I guss it will be released soon only if a miracle happens (like R B Chowdry helping his son's movie to get released fast OR ysr's music becomes a big hit and people (I mean distributors :) start asking where is the movie ?)

NagaS

Cinefan
23rd February 2005, 05:38 PM
I thought YSR's music is already a big hit,atleast that's what all the websites are claiming :?

In the case of 7/g,RC also,there was a biiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiig gap between the music&film's release,the TV promos went on till eternity,still it got a huge opeaning&went on to become a big hit.let's hope the same thing happens to 'Raam'.But even if the film is as good as it's promos,it will release in Bangalore very late&I hate watching movies on CD's. :(

NagaS
23rd February 2005, 06:11 PM
Ram album is doing good in terms of sales, so songs must be hit :) But I am not sure if thats enough to create an urge for the movie's release date !

NagaS

vincent
24th February 2005, 06:26 PM
HEY! SONGS OF RAAM IS GREAT .YSR PROVED THAT HE IS ALWAYS AHEAD FROM OTHERS

Vkrish
24th February 2005, 09:06 PM
Ya, Yuvan proves that he can maintain consistancy in delivering hits. Another aspect is he concentrates on BGM too. His BGM was great offlate, especially in 7G r/c and Manmadhan.. Hope he will venture soon into Bollywood with a storm.

Sanjeevi
25th February 2005, 12:44 PM
RAAM is releasing on 4th March, only one week to go.

Cinefan
3rd March 2005, 10:54 AM
RAAM is releasing on 4th March, only one week to go.

http://sify.com/movies/tamil/fullstory.php?id=13684588

1 more day to go.Will the movie be as good as the trailor?

MumbaiRamki
6th March 2005, 01:05 AM
http://www.indiaglitz.com/channels/tamil/review/7275.html

movie good..

curryleaf
6th March 2005, 12:52 PM
SunTV had a review thing yesterday... IT seemed interesting.

I didnt get into the songs till I saw some clips of it... They were nicely taken, atleast I thought so anyways...

The soft slow songs are really sweet... mother sentiment ones... manathai thottuvittathu :)

jaiganes
7th March 2005, 08:00 AM
I saw Raam on saturday.
Very good movie.
First 20 minutes, very eery.
Rest of the movie is good suspense and climax is taut and very tight.
Performances are first class and technical side is very very good.
Watch out for:
1. Rahman as Umar
2. Murali as Malaichamy
3. Ganja Karuppu as Vazha vandhaan
4. Jeeva as Raam beautiful portrayal and good voice modulation
5. Ghazala, surprising
6. Saranya Ponvannan a talent we missed for a long time
7. Raamji's superior lenswork
8. Ameer's screenplay and direction
9. Yuvan's BGMs (with shades of Raaja).
Enjoy this movie.

Cinefan
7th March 2005, 10:25 AM
I saw Raam on saturday.
Very good movie.
First 20 minutes, very eery.
Rest of the movie is good suspense and climax is taut and very tight.
Performances are first class and technical side is very very good.
Watch out for:
1. Rahman as Umar
2. Murali as Malaichamy
3. Ganja Karuppu as Vazha vandhaan
4. Jeeva as Raam beautiful portrayal and good voice modulation
5. Ghazala, surprising
6. Saranya Ponvannan a talent we missed for a long time
7. Raamji's superior lenswork
8. Ameer's screenplay and direction
9. Yuvan's BGMs (with shades of Raaja).
Enjoy this movie.

Chennai poanathu ithukku thana :D Anyway armed with your recommendation I will catch up with the movie when it comes to Bangalore.

jaiganes
7th March 2005, 11:44 AM
CineFan wrote:

Chennai poanathu ithukku thana
There is a boiling reason as to why I went to chennai. This happened to be incidental. I saw Constantine in the morning, and Raam in the evening. I was thoroughly confused to which was the english movie between them both.

Cinefan
7th March 2005, 11:48 AM
I saw Constantine in the morning, and Raam in the evening. I was thoroughly confused to which was the english movie between them both.

So finally Tamil-le oru English padam :D &I mean ENGLISH PADAM, not films with english titles :lol:

curryleaf
7th March 2005, 01:42 PM
Jaiganes,

How was Constantine by the way? I caught the preview when I watched "Hide & Seek", but havent gotten a chance to catch Constantine.

I'm more looking forward to "The Ring 2". Parts of it was filmed in Oregon, the State I live in :D

Cinefan
7th March 2005, 04:20 PM
http://sify.com/movies/tamil/review.php?cid=2429

Taut thriller says this review.

http://www.indiaglitz.com/channels/tamil/article/13579.html

The film has taken a promising opening.

http://www.tamilcinema.com/CINENEWS/REVIEW/2005/ram.asp

Another positive review.

vijayr
9th March 2005, 08:16 PM
The flim might be good, but the songs are rather average stuff. I wanted to write a short review on the lack of freshness in both the tunes and orchestration, but one of tyhe bloggers has already done it and am taking the liberty to post his review here
http://minorscale.net/?p=8

Raam is forgettable music.

NagaS
9th March 2005, 08:48 PM
vijayr,

I respect your opinion - at the same time, I would like to suggest you to watch the movie before coming to any conclusion - all songs fit nicely into the script (ofcourse, except Boom Boom :)) and YSR's BGM is a real treat !

I think we have to give regards to YSR for trying his best for every kind of movie, the only exception could be a giraamaththu script :)

NagaS

MumbaiRamki
10th March 2005, 01:16 AM
I liked Raam better than Manmadhan and 7/g ..Manmadhan was huge bore in my opnion ..7/G had 2 good melodies ..

RAAM may not be very very different ..But the tunes are pleasant and u can definetely buy this album ...( but i too feel the songs somehow lacks depth which is a different )

vijayr
10th March 2005, 02:48 AM
Not only the songs lack depth, but KJY's jaded voice doesnt add any value to the tunes. The songs might have fit well into the movie, but good composers find ways to make the songs stand on their own as a music album and also make it jell with the movie, not just the latter. The songs as standalones dont impress me.

jaiganes
10th March 2005, 08:02 AM
vijayr!

As Naga said, I respect your opinion, but Raam's music fits the script to the T unlike some other music that sticks out like sore thumb. The film is having a mood that yuvan has done complete justice to. The music like the climax song might be a little cliche'd reminding one of Pithamagan, but overall songs like "aarari raro" and "Nizhalinai " convey the mood quite aptly IMHO.

slperson1
10th March 2005, 09:53 AM
I feel even if he was tryin to fit the mood there shoudl of been sum variation in the music.i cant tell the songs apart when i am listenin to it while driving xcept for boom boom haha.unless im actually paying attn.

Vazhipokkan
11th March 2005, 01:23 AM
"EVERYTHING ABOUT "Raam"(U/A) is different — admirably so. It's not often that you get to see a film worth your while —this Teamwork Production House creation is one such." says Hindu

http://www.hindu.com/fr/2005/03/11/stories/2005031100300201.htm

Cinefan
11th March 2005, 04:09 PM
http://www.indiaglitz.com/channels/tamil/article/13640.html

'Ram'is not just doing well at the BO but has also got praise from Manirathnam.

jaiganes
11th March 2005, 08:29 PM
Hi
I have posted a review (more of a letter of appreciation) of RAAM in my blog. A little bit of self advertisement he he he.. :-) :lol:

Arjuna
12th March 2005, 01:04 AM
The flim might be good, but the songs are rather average stuff. I wanted to write a short review on the lack of freshness in both the tunes and orchestration, but one of tyhe bloggers has already done it and am taking the liberty to post his review here
http://minorscale.net/?p=8

Raam is forgettable music.

Vijay - I guess you are the only sensible guy around - that was a perfect review - and the media and the public are just hyping YSR since he is the son of IR and they just want to see YSR be the no 1 MD in TFM..Just politics..Vidhyasagar is definitely better than YSR!!

rajasaranam
12th March 2005, 08:00 PM
Arjuna,

Here take this 'super bowl' from the same blogger.
http://minorscale.net/?p=10
Thanks vijayr :lol:

Arjuna
12th March 2005, 09:13 PM
elle rajasrnam,
I have seen and heard all this b4..i cant even figure out anything!!yawnnnnnn

NagaS
14th March 2005, 11:29 AM
actually YSR was always in the other side of the so called 'media support', When Harris Jayaraj got media hype for each and every album, YSR was ignored just because, they always compared him with his father and said 'avar aLavukku illaippaa' kind of comments - only in the last couple of years, YSR was able to make the media people change and getting the attention he deserves ...

IMO, Starting from his first movie "Aravindhan", YSR is trying to be different and never attempts to follow his father's style cosciously, The only exceptions could be couple of songs from Nandha, Otherwise, his melodies have a different stamp, we can never mistake them for IR's songs. (atleast not me :)

NagaS

Jacky
14th March 2005, 07:35 PM
I don't know if every HJ album is hyped by media but atleast the guy did something to get work from directors like Priyadharshan and Shankar. YSR he is too inconsistent, his only non-selva hit is Povellam kettupar (some may say Dheena - okay). The amount of crap YSR delivers like Ethiri, Kurumbu, Junior senior, blah blah is much higher than HJ's crap. I hope he mends his ways now.

vijayr
14th March 2005, 08:11 PM
YSR might not be consciously following IR's style but Raam's songs definitely have a strong influence. Most tunes sound as if they were composed by IR in the mid-80s, nothing new. But even otherwise, YSR mostly uses the same ideas that Rahman and HJ had already tried before. Same synth stuff- nothing new conceptually. Kaadhal Konden's songs could have been composed by HJ for all I could care. There's nothing unique about them. Nothing unique about his BGM either - I mean in those films where Karthik Raja isnt helping him with the BGM

HJ is not very unique either.Both of them are content to use the same ideas that Rahman experimented with probably 5 years back. They are some 10 years behind in what they are doing.

"The amount of crap YSR delivers like Ethiri, Kurumbu, Junior senior, blah blah is much higher than HJ's crap"

Winner is another forgettable album. There are a few more to add to this list between 98-2001.

I would rather listen to some of IR's latest albums. Even as uninspiring as they are, atleast there is something unique about them.

Arjuna
14th March 2005, 10:43 PM
Vijayr:
"Nothing unique about his BGM either - I mean in those films where Karthik Raja isnt helping him with the BGM"

Vijay, you are perfectly right..Suja(YSR's wife to be who is my cousin sis)..that his brother(KR) helps YSR with the BGMs and also the composing part! IR also gives him some tips..

Arjuna
14th March 2005, 10:45 PM
I think there a quite a few good songs by YSR namely kadhal website, muthal muthalaga from Ethiri and chinna chinnathai from mounam pesiyadhae..infact KR has done a decent job in scoring the bgm for mounam pesiyadhae along with YSR...

Arjuna
14th March 2005, 10:47 PM
Deepak Dev from malayalam has lots of talent..he shuld be brought to the tamil industry..

MumbaiRamki
15th March 2005, 01:55 AM
http://www.hindu.com/mp/2005/03/15/stories/2005031500400100.htm

Yuvan with Vasundra ...

NagaS
15th March 2005, 11:39 AM
I agree that not each one of YSR's albums can be branded as 'class' or 'super hit',. But I think thats true with every MD who is doing more than 5 or 10 films per year, out of these, two may be complete albums with more than 3 / 4 good songs, and all others will have one or two good numbers (for example, consider punnagai poovae, or kaathal saamraajyam, they can't be called as super hits, but had good numbers !) ...

we all know that YSR is not in a position to 'choose' his movies yet (on a lighter note, if he does, media will shout that he has become arrogant, insulted a director by refusing a movie etc., :)) ... So I will be happy if he gives couple of 'real good' albums every year, which he started doing now,

We have to also consider that he is working more with debut directors or people with < 5 films to their credit. (Only exceptions may be sundar. c. and K. S. Ravikumar :)) ...

considering all these, I would say YSR is progressing well, its too early to compare him with greats or call him number 1, 2, 3, 45 etc.,... , lets give him some time and see where he lands in the TFM world.

NagaS

(and I don't believe that KR / IR help him unofficially, may be they give him some tips and in some cases, like 'bose', KR does the BGM and gets his salary / name in title, nothing wrong with that I feel ! If Ismail darbar can just do songs of a movie and get the best music director national award... this is nothing ! YSR's BGM in 7/g, Manmadhan and Raam were really good)

NagaS

NagaS
15th March 2005, 11:46 AM
this hindu interview (YSR - vasundhara) is very interesting, Great to know about YSR's plans for an album (his first album blast had couple of good numbers, including a funny piece on a carnatic muzik thambathi !), and its little hard to believe that YSR likes live muzik more than programmed one ;)

NagaS

Thiru
19th April 2005, 11:44 PM
Well, I listented to 'Aarariro' song today from Oli... It sounds like a rehash of 'nenjil jil jil jil' piece of 'oru theivam thandha poove' from kannathil muthamittal... well composed though...

kbee
20th April 2005, 12:04 AM
i watched the movie and nothing big about BGM. There were many good opportunities where he could have asked IR for suggestions. for those who didnt see the movie, imaging that you have the BGM of Shock for Pithamagan. Thats it... the mood of the film is very close to some scenes in pithamagan and the BGM are total let down. Also except aaraariraro none of the songs can be remembered.

alias
20th April 2005, 12:21 AM
" If Ismail darbar can just do songs of a movie and get the best music director national award... this is nothing ! "

Nagas, common on... listen to Hum Dil De Chuke Sanam, Devdas and recent Kisna, Ismail may be a big time backbitter but when it comes to classical music, he does his best. ANd Hum Dil De chuke Sanam definetely deserve the National Award IMO. Well it did loose to Taal in Filmfare but the songs are defintely excellent.

NagaS
21st April 2005, 12:22 PM
" If Ismail darbar can just do songs of a movie and get the best music director national award... this is nothing ! "

Nagas, common on... listen to Hum Dil De Chuke Sanam, Devdas and recent Kisna, Ismail may be a big time backbitter but when it comes to classical music, he does his best. ANd Hum Dil De chuke Sanam definetely deserve the National Award IMO. Well it did loose to Taal in Filmfare but the songs are defintely excellent.

alias, I had no comments / review on ID's music / talents. My point is, if "any MD" can do just songs and get national award, without doing anything on BGM front, whats wrong in YSR getting suggestions from his brother / father or leaving it to his brother, with credits in title / sharing some part of his salary ?

NagaS

alias
21st April 2005, 08:24 PM
O sorry i probably misunderstood