PDA

View Full Version : kollu paruppu (horse gram) recipes pls

sonumickey
26th December 2004, 07:13 AM
hi, i would like to know some recipes using kollu paruppu (horse gram) . can you all share the recipes with me

thanxs
gayathri

pr
27th December 2004, 06:56 AM
Hi gayatri
Here is a recipe for kollu paruppu . This is famous and a regular dish once a week in coimbatore . This is called kadanja kollu .( means mashed kollu)
1. Pressure cook kollu with red chillies till the kollu is done well .
2 In a small pan , add some oil , add mustard , Small onions Or Big ( small onoins r added in the original recipe) garlic, curry leaves , pepper , cumin seeds , coriander seeds . Fry all these and grind it in a mixer smoothly .
3.Grind the kollu in a mixer along with salt and with the above paste .
The reason for grinding it separetely is ingredients in 2 shld be a smooth paste and kollu shld not be ground smoothly . so grind it separately and add them together .
Just mix with rice , add ghee and eat it ..
Adding ghee enhances the taste ..
In native place the above process is done in a mud vessel with a matthu for mashing the kollu which will be very tasty
I will give the approximate measurements ..
kollu - 3/4 cup
red chillies -2
small onions - 10
cumin - 1 tablespoon
pepper - 1 tablespoon
coriander - 1 tablespoon
curry leaves 4 or 5
garlic 3 or 4 pallu .

sonumickey
30th December 2004, 08:09 AM
hi pr

thanks for your help. i do kandaja kollu by adding coconut oil at the end. i am looking for even more recipes.

US
30th December 2004, 09:56 AM
Just asking out of curiousity can somebody please outline the speciality/nutritional value of kollu.

Thanks and Regards
US

sonumickey
31st December 2004, 07:07 AM
i think this is good for cholestrol

US
1st January 2005, 01:03 PM
Thanks so much

Regards
US

T.S.Seethalakshmi
9th January 2005, 03:26 AM
Hi,
Kollu rasam,
Fry kollu in a hot cheenuchatti and put in mixi to split the kollu as paruppu and pressure cook with turmaric.
Make rasam with ordinary method useing the kollu paruppu instead of thuvar dol.
Kolu is good for vatham as per ayurveda.
Kollu puzzukku Kerala name or Koottu in tamil
Pressure cook koll cook small pieces ofvazhakkai, or yam you can add with kollu. Grind coconut,red chilli and cumin seeds coursly and add with cooked mixer.Season with kaduku, uluthamparuppu and kari leaves in coconut oil tast very good.

seethalakshmi amma_seetha@yahoo.com

hemakk
11th January 2005, 09:22 PM
hallo everybody,

i couldn't find the kollu paruppu in East Coast, if anybody know tell me, where can i get it. thank you

hemakk

Cindy
12th January 2005, 06:06 AM
Hi

Kollu is best for arthritic patients. Instead of kadalai mavu, these ppl are asked to use the kollu powder for bathing after an oil massage. also to be taken in.

kollu thuvaial - fry kollu in a dry kadai for sometime grind together with coconut, chillies, and a pinch of tarmarind. take with rice and hot rasam... yummy.