PDA

View Full Version : RamGopal Verma - Amitab's - NISHABD

Nakeeran
3rd March 2007, 01:22 PM
[tscii:254950ebd1]Nishabd meaning wordless. And that’s what this quixotic relationship remains through most of the film. Notwithstanding the fact that this was a relationship that was crying out for words, reasons, explanations, resolutions and articulations for the strange new emotions that were supposedly taking birth for the first time on the Indian screen. Or is it the second time? Remember Jogger’s Park, that charming little number where Perizaad played a more senior Lolita to Victor Bannerjee.

Nishabd is more American Beauty than Lolita with the storyline borrowing heavily from the Kevin Spacey-Mena Suvari Oscar-applauded film. Here, it is Jia who plays the daughter’s friend who stays over and sets strange emotions stirring through the reclusive dad (Amitabh Bachchan). But unlike director Sam Mendes, Ram Gopal Verma sanitises the film completely of all sexual overtones which would necessarily be a part of such a cross-generational attraction. No, unlike Kevin Spacey who does normal stuff under the sheets, each time he fantasises about the blonde beauty sleeping in his house, Mr Bachchan is rarely seen peeking or throwing a surreptitious glance at the dusky beauty sprawling before him in shorts and see-through skirts.

Okay, then it isn’t physical-sexual. So what is it: the attraction that brings them together? Philosophical, spiritual, psychical, mental, cultural....Don’t know and don’t get to know too. All that we can guess is that Jia, a product of a broken home, with a step dad, succumbs to Oedipus. And Vijay, the forty-year older photographer and family man flips for her hose pipe antics and her Take-Lite poetics. Wish the director had allowed Amitabh a little more fun and foreplay before he became overridden with guilt and depression. The joyousness and wild abandon of the relationship doesn’t really come through and the resolution of the conflict fills you with much inadequacy.

What remains is the camera-friendly and immensely confident Ms Jiah Khan who makes such good use of her body as an instrument of expression. Yes, she’s quite a natural and pitches in a perfect desi Lolita act. Amitabh is in great form too, specially when the director allows him those brief moments of joy — he’s ticklish playing footsie and does quite a little jig with his little girl — before burdening him with sorrow. Technically too, the film is quintessential Ramu, with the camera working wonders with extreme close shots, the way it did in Sarkar. Only if Ramu had dared to break the mould a bit more and not been wary of the moral police...Ah! Nishabd would have ended up as landmark cinema!
[/tscii:254950ebd1]

Surya
4th March 2007, 09:36 AM
Box Office wise I guess it's a flop. Only 25% Opening according to BoxOfficeIndia.com :shock:

I heard that Ram Gopal Varma has handled a Very Touchy Subject with Care! :D Waiting to see it. 8-)

Shakthiprabha.
19th March 2007, 02:19 PM
Nakeeran said it all.

A movie sure makes us heavy.

Why, how, when things happen!
What it leaves us behind to deal with!

VERY SAD :(

Shakthiprabha.
19th March 2007, 02:26 PM
Only if Ramu had dared to break the mould a bit more and not been wary of the moral police...Ah! Nishabd would have ended up as landmark cinema!

Where, do u think he could have done? What could have been the solution for such relationships?

Definitely its nothing to do with physical drawing, as this love is DEVELOPED more for other reasons than physical attraction (WHICH MAY OR MAY NOT RESULT in physical love, if given a chance)

ITs more the SPONTANEITY of the girl which the old man likes and VICE versa.

GELing of 2 minds? VIBING or WAVELENGTH match? then how is it different from A FRIEND or A DAUGHTER or A NEIGHBOUR who gels with u?

Then shall we call INGREDIENT of attraction is there?

Whats more beyond it? And NO. its nothing SPIRITUAL OR PHILOSOPHICAL in my opinion!

May be infatuation WHICH MAY WITHER OFF with time?

Or may be LOVE, which would kill both in question?

Lots to contemplate on such not-so-common relationships!

Some relationships are BETTER LEFT without ANY NAME?!?

rockydeva
20th March 2007, 02:09 PM
Its AMITHAB,i cant believe it,

He is the BIG B, he must have to avoid this kind of movies

Querida
23rd March 2007, 08:04 AM
Rockydeva I am actually happy he has the calibre and freedom to explore such movies...it was a touchy subject done well...really i was afraid with the previews that it would be maybe even "cradle snatching" creepy as lolita (i have yet to watch american beauty)...the whole time i was equally at times appalled at Jia's forwardness, she seemed like a stereotypical brat from troubled home...I'm sure I've met a couple of Jia type girls too...but Amitabh....he puts everything at risk for this one love? based on so few fleeting moments....i loved the ending...how deep his love is, how alienated he becomes....it seemed like a spiritual yearning that with our eyes can only be summed up as infatuation...I loved how there was no "beating around the bush" it was all said and done so quickly...poor revathy....the consequences really are dire and heartbreaking....

Nakeeran
23rd March 2007, 03:00 PM
Mudhal Mariyadhai's story / screenplay also sounds similar .
An aged man getting the real love & fondness from a young woman well below his age !

Shakthiprabha.
23rd March 2007, 03:31 PM
True nakeeran!

ajaybaskar
19th April 2007, 01:09 PM
A disappointing movie.. Idhukku ivlo hype thevaiya?

smith1
31st July 2007, 08:01 PM
Pathetic to see a superstar like amit doing such roles.

What a fall!