PDA

View Full Version : Is Amitabh , an overhyped actor ?

Nakeeran
3rd March 2007, 02:17 PM
Many say that Amitabh is a real legend and the best of the 20th century of Indian stars.

Also there are some who dismiss this notion & also add that Amitabh is not really a great actor but its the typical bollywood hype created over him by a cotorie & being worshipped as such

Which one is assertive ? Was there better performers than him who didnt get the recognition / status he got ?

Whats the fact ? lets discuss here pls

joe
3rd March 2007, 02:39 PM
Big B is most popular Indian actor ,but not Best actor or best performer ,he is just above average.

Aandavan
3rd March 2007, 10:30 PM
he is a cheat..

Wibha
4th March 2007, 03:46 AM
IN hindi.........AB is da best actor.......... he's da only old actor who can actually TRY to dance........... he's done many gud movies and is hard working

Surya
4th March 2007, 09:34 AM
He is a good actor, but his Spellbounding Charisma lifts him up to a Mega-Superstar Level. :clap: :clap:

That's why he is the most famous actor in India. I think it's well deserved. 8-)

Raghu
5th March 2007, 04:33 PM
BIG B is a BIG hype!

mgb
5th March 2007, 07:27 PM
He is a good actor, but his Spellbounding Charisma lifts him up to a Mega-Superstar Level. :clap: :clap:

That's why he is the most famous actor in India. I think it's well deserved. 8-)
Very well said Surya :clap: He carries himself so well in films that anybody opposite to him looks as if they are nobody :)

Nakeeran
5th March 2007, 07:59 PM
Some of his old action movies look ridiculous watching today.
Deewar / Zanzeer all absolute crap stuff but he got elevated through such movies only !

The 2 movies are quite unrealistic and 100% crap masala stuff

Designer
5th March 2007, 10:59 PM
Deewar / Zanzeer all absolute crap stuff but he got elevated through such movies only !

See Amitabh's performance in these movies, dont see the movie's story line, etc. I am sure you are quite aware that, films undergo drastic trends every few years. In Kollywood, one can say, the era of KB, Bharathiraja, then Mani Ratnam and so on. Each period had its own way of dialogue delivery, storyline, song picturisations, et all.

By applying your yardstick, one can also criticise many early Thamizh/Bollywood movies. :)

Designer
5th March 2007, 11:04 PM

Very well said Surya :clap: He carries himself so well in films that anybody opposite to him looks as if they are nobody :)

Surya & Ganesh : :exactly: :thumbsup:

Shakthiprabha.
6th March 2007, 10:20 PM

I agree with surya.

His talent is GOOD ENOUGH, but Charisma carried him to this towering extent.

Lambretta
11th March 2007, 11:40 PM

Uh, wat makes u say they r unrealistic? :?
Infact FYI Deewar was based on a TRUE story of a mafia don in bbay during the late 60s/early 70s (forgot his name)....maybe it had a little bit of filmi touch added....tat is common in every Indian movie, & in some cases, even in Hollywood movies....like Titanic for instance.......how come a love story of 2 otherwise anonymous ppl. on a tragedy ship came to light years later, leading to making it the main story, rather than the tragedy of the Titanic, in the movie...? :)

Designer
11th March 2007, 11:47 PM

Uh, wat makes u say they r unrealistic? :?
Infact FYI Deewar was based on a TRUE story of a mafia don in bbay during the late 60s/early 70s (forgot his name)....maybe it had a little bit of filmi touch added....tat is common in every Indian movie, & in some cases, even in Hollywood movies....like Titanic for instance.......how come a love story of 2 otherwise anonymous ppl. on a tragedy ship came to light years later, leading to making it the main story, rather than the tragedy of the Titanic, in the movie...? :)

he was HAJI MASTHAN. And 'NAYAGAN' movie was based on another Mumbai (then Bombay) don, VARADHARAJA MUDHALAYAR !

Lambretta
12th March 2007, 12:49 AM
he was HAJI MASTHAN.
Aah :yes: :exactly: Tks for refreshing my memory! :)

And 'NAYAGAN' movie was based on another Mumbai (then Bombay) don, VARADHARAJA MUDHALAYAR !
Yea he was aka Vardha bhai.....was based in the Dharavi slum....ther was a TV documentary on all these underworld dons recently.....

smith
6th April 2007, 05:46 PM
Amit is a superstar, no doubt but as an actor he was above average.

He could have experimented during his heyday, but pity, he chose to play the "angry young man" in most of the films.

P_R
22nd April 2007, 12:27 AM

Exactly.

For instance, Don, will be the coolest character ever.
Check out the intro (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-_EiysmOcLg) where he swings his chair around and shoots. All the underlings come into the room and AB coolly gets up and fixes himself a drink. The whole gang is perplexed by the murder when AB breaks the silence with a stylish " Cheers gen'lman " (his first lines in the film).

Even Rajini, who is a much more talented actor , couldn't match the selfsame opening scene in Billa.

rookie007
25th April 2007, 06:02 AM
hmmmm I like Big B's movies, most of them are good , even though the recent once I did not watch.....
Still when it comes to Super Star Rajini, it is a different story. We like him not as an actor...we like him for who HE is......Big B is protrayed as an actor, yes he is an good actor...but Rajini he is in DIFFERENT League.......
Even in US, when the movie CM was relased....tamil people there did all the "Abishgam" like how we do in India...SEE that is the power of Rajini...people get amazed why he is getting this much attention....It does not matter...Bollywood will always protray Big B as the Big Guy, so it does not matter....... if some reporters comes from US or other forign country and see out Rajini phenomenon, they will conclude who is the REAL SUPER STAR of India Cinema is....
Comming back to: 20th century of Indian stars. It should be SPLIT
I think North..it will be Big B, but* this does not means that we all have to accept that..yes North will..but for South ..we all know the answer ...
so techinically they cannot come to a conclustion by just seeing North (Bollywood only)....
20th century of Indian stars: Big B in North (Bollywood)
: Tamil- Super StarU
: Telugu- Cherenjevee etc...

madhus369
15th June 2007, 05:13 AM
In the current stage of his career, he is certainly overhyped. But he has built up this hype over many roles that he has done in the past.
His Don, Deewaar, Sholay, Sharaabi are all classics among others. Currently though, he is running on empty. His foray into adult roles have not really panned out that well, except for his hardcore fans who would like to see him do anything on screen.

Meera-ssg
28th July 2007, 01:15 PM
Check out his latest one with tabu...one might change opinion

smith1
31st July 2007, 08:01 PM
Amit is without doubt an overhyped actor. he is more a star than an actor.