PDA

View Full Version : College students killed in Virginia - Violence in US

Nakeeran
17th April 2007, 10:42 PM
The whole US is shocked and speechless by the gruesome killing of 32 people in a university which includes an Indian by name Loganathan who was a professor of that college .

Here is the news :

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/Virginia_killings_South_Korean_immigrant_was_the_s hooter/articleshow/1919288.cms

WASHINGTON: The Virginia Tech University student identified as the assailant in Monday's deadly gun rampage was a South Korean immigrant who had been in the United States since 1992 and who held a green card signifying his status as a legal permanent U.S. resident, federal officials said Tuesday.

Cho Seung-Hui, a 23-year-old English major, was listed with a home address in a suburb of Washington. Immigration records maintained by the Department of Homeland Security show that Cho was born in South Korea on Jan. 18, 1984 and entered the United States through Detroit on Sept. 2, 1992. He had last renewed his green card on Oct. 27, 2003.

University officials said he lived in a dormitory on the Virginia Tech campus, but could shed no light on a motive for the shooting spree that left 33 dead. "He was a loner, and we're having difficulty finding information about him," said Virginia Tech spokesman Larry Hincker.

Cho was found with a backpack containing a receipt for a Glock 9mm pistol that he had bought in March. Ballistics tests by the U.S. Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms showed that one gun was used in Monday's two separate campus attacks that were two hours apart.

Cho's fingerprints were found on the two handguns used in both shootings, said two law enforcement officials who spoke on condition of anonymity because the information had not been announced. The serial numbers on the two weapons had been filed off, the officials said.

As a permanent legal resident of the United States, Cho was eligible to buy a handgun unless he had been convicted of any felony criminal charges, a federal immigration official said.

crazy
17th April 2007, 10:45 PM
:(

Nakeeran
17th April 2007, 10:52 PM
Crazy,

It seems buying arms in US is not that difficult like in India ! Sad to see so much violence that too in a college .

US is no longer safe haven

crazy
17th April 2007, 10:58 PM
anna,
..........America .......hm :sigh2:
reminds me of that film Bowling for Columbine :roll:

Nakeeran
17th April 2007, 11:02 PM
George Bush looks totally stunned . CNN clippings show Bush searching for words to control his emotions !
32 precious lives , COLLEGIANS , A PROFESSOR .

I dont think such a mass killing has happened ever in any other country inside a college / school .

US should review their internal laws now seems.

m_23_bayarea
17th April 2007, 11:02 PM
Crazy,

It seems buying arms in US is not that difficult like in India ! Sad to see so much violence that too in a college .

One of the major differences bet the Republican and Democratic policies, is the possession of guns for Self-Defence! :)

Nakeeran
17th April 2007, 11:04 PM
Bay A

Enna irundhalum someone so easily penetrating into a college campus and killing so many ?? This raises lot of questions on security aspects in US no ?

m_23_bayarea
17th April 2007, 11:06 PM
Bay A

Enna irundhalum someone so easily penetrating into a college campus and killing so many ?? This raises lot of questions on security aspects in US no ?

US is not really as safe as ppl proclaim! Especially certain areas... I had a personal experience myself, and it took me more than 3 months to come out of that emotional trauma... But not all places are unsafe either! Regarding possession of guns and all that, certain teenagers have their own ways of sneaking! :lol:

crazy
17th April 2007, 11:08 PM
George Bush looks totally stunned . CNN clippings show Bush searching for words to control his emotions !
32 precious lives , COLLEGIANS , A PROFESSOR .

I dont think such a mass killing has happened ever in any other country inside a college / school .

US should review their internal laws now seems.

:lol:

:oops: sorry!

rocketboy
17th April 2007, 11:13 PM
My heart felt condolences :(

I have this one doubt lingering in my mind for a long time. Do we need licenses to procure rifles ( air guns / air pistols) in India ? I don't think so because I have seen shops selling rifles wherein one can just walk in with money and walk out with a brand new rifle. The first time I saw these shops I was shocked because I haven't seen something like this before in Chennai. I think they don't come under firearms as they are not that lethal when compared to other weapons.

Nakeeran
17th April 2007, 11:17 PM
Rocketboy

yes. In India, one needs licence for keeping a pistol . The law is very clear on this.

Somone who possesses arms without licence can be arrested .

Nakeeran
17th April 2007, 11:18 PM
Rocketboy

yes. In India, one needs licence for keeping a pistol . The law is very clear on this.

rocketboy
17th April 2007, 11:24 PM
Nakeeran hand held pistols are different from rifles . Pistolsukku license venum theriyum . Naan solrathu air rifles esp those with wooden stocks.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rifles

maithree
18th April 2007, 12:55 AM

Same thing goes here also. :roll: U need a licence for a pistol.

maithree
18th April 2007, 12:58 AM
Crazy,

One of the major differences bet the Republican and Democratic policies, is the possession of guns for Self-Defence! :)

One of the issues which I agree with the Republicans on. :)

Our right to bear arms is in our Constitution. 8-) It can't be taken away.

There are psycos everywhere who do these kinds of things. There were so many oppertunities to stop this tragedy, but it was ignored! The fault is on the College Admin, not Gun Control or anything else.

This could just as easily happen anywhere else if the College Admin were as ignorant as in this case (Lets face it! It's Virginia! :lol: ). It has nothing to do with the overall safty of the US. Sure there are some ghetto areas like Oakland, Richmond (One of the places whre I grew up), but for the most part, it IS still a Safe Haven. 8-)

kb
18th April 2007, 05:38 AM
totally 33 killed including gunman

one TN prof Mr Loganathan

and a mumbai girl minal panchal(1st year graduate student) is also said to be missing and ibnlive confirmed that she too might be a victim.

29 injured...

according to a doctor its seems the wounds were brutal and every one who were shot had atleast 3 bullet wounds.. :o

the killed is identified as a southkorean and he came to us at the age of 8. he is an undergrad.

regarding guns here... in some states if u have a drivers license and if u r a permanent resident u are allowed to have a gun. one of the gun which he used are the most popular and most selling type and almost all brands manufacture that is a 9 mm.It is mostly used for competitions and safety purposes..

Designer
18th April 2007, 05:48 AM
My condolences to the grieving family of Prof.Loganathan and the families of other victims.

Such violence & proliferation of firearms must be strongly condemned. There's been a spate of such incidents in US schools/colleges in recent years. But another 'incident' again happens after some time, albeit at a different school/college. What about those who are responsible for Gun control laws/regulations? Is the Gun lobby so powerful that more stringent bills cannot be passed? Whats the catch here? I wonder if the gun lobby is blind to the fact that, such an incident could happen to one of their own family members! Have steps been taken to curb recurrence of such 'incidents' - like making it more difficult to purchase guns? Or installing metal detectors in univ campus? Can someone shed light on above questions?

IMO the Educationists & others should address the root of the problem, like changing the attitude of violence-prone youth, who think maybe brandishing a gun or indulging in drive by shooting is a 'macho' act.

kb
18th April 2007, 05:55 AM
the guys who support guns are arguing that if anyone had a gun in the dorms or the classroom.. they must have retaliated and death toll would have been very very less :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

they dont understand it can be a war zone if everyone had a gun..

Designer
18th April 2007, 06:06 AM
kb : more guns :o

students wud have gone trigger happy and it would have resulted in more death, like you have rightly pointed out :(

"muLLai muLLaal than edukkaNum' - athu inga sariya varathu endru yaar avangalukku solrathu?!

the guys who support guns are arguing that if anyone had a gun in the dorms or the classroom.. they must have retaliated and death toll would have been very very less :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

they dont understand it can be a war zone if everyone had a gun..

maithree
18th April 2007, 11:00 AM
If everyone started shooting Virginia would be like IRaq. :cry:

it was the fault of the College Admin who should've cancelled classes on that day the second they knew there was some psycho on the loose with a firearm!

He had killed 2 ppl in a dorm before, the had hours to alert the students! They didn't!

The right to bear arms can't be infringed because of this.

thimuru
18th April 2007, 11:04 AM
how come common people hold gun in U.S ?

Hulkster
18th April 2007, 11:05 AM
I think its because of the self defence laws in US...:?

thimuru
18th April 2007, 11:25 AM

:?

Badri
18th April 2007, 11:32 AM

I wonder why they have police then, if people have to look to their own safety. :roll:

Why should people pay taxes to support the law and order system, and then have to also protect themselves?

India is in much better shape than this!!!

thimuru
18th April 2007, 11:35 AM
the purpose of self defense icreases if many posses weapons!

cant U.S government understand this?

Hulkster
18th April 2007, 11:38 AM
If one knows the history of these laws came about...we can then decide whether to stick with the law or not...:exactly:

kb
18th April 2007, 12:00 PM
how come common people hold gun in U.S ?

its for self defense and competitions..

if u have driving license and permanent resident..green card.. u have the right to have a weapon :?

selvakumar
18th April 2007, 12:14 PM
Let me hope that our dear Bush won't invade South Korea for this :lol:

Sanjeevi
18th April 2007, 12:20 PM
its the price of freedom? :sad:

Badri
18th April 2007, 12:21 PM

:rotfl: :rotfl:

maithree
18th April 2007, 12:52 PM

:rotfl: :rotfl:

maithree
18th April 2007, 12:57 PM

I wonder why they have police then, if people have to look to their own safety. :roll:

Why should people pay taxes to support the law and order system, and then have to also protect themselves?

It's not only for self defence! The US Police is very well coordinated, and is one of the best in the world.

Ppl buy guns mainly for competitions, and to own a gun. If guns were this easy to get, they'd be very common in India also. :)

the need to make it harder to buy a gun. Right now, like KB said, anyone who is an adult, and has a green card can buy a gun.

They should make it harder, but the Constitution shouldn't be violated. Ppl should have the right to bear arms. Maybe just not as easy as it is now. There was some Statistic in Micheal Moore's "Bowling for Columbine" which said something like 60% of Gun Owners won't bother with Guns if it was Harder to get them.

But there are some Democrates who say that ppl shouldn't be allowed to own guns at all! That's insane.

maithree
18th April 2007, 01:03 PM
if people have to look to their own safety.

They don't HAVE TO. They just choose to. 8-)

Badri
18th April 2007, 01:05 PM
But there are some Democrates who say that ppl shouldn't be allowed to own guns at all! That's insane.

Why is this insane? What is the insanity in this?

So do you mean every country where people are not allowed to own guns is insane?

Badri
18th April 2007, 01:05 PM

And some also choose to go beyond that and take it upon themselves to endanger others, I suppose?

Badri
18th April 2007, 01:08 PM
Ppl should have the right to bear arms

:notthatway:

Are they also allowed to have bombs? Why stop with guns? Why cant people also stock up grenades, mortars, rocket launchers, nuclear missiles in their homes?

No wonder America is so war-hungry!

:sigh2:

thimuru
18th April 2007, 01:44 PM

Are they also allowed to have bombs? Why stop with guns? Why cant people also stock up grenades, mortars, rocket launchers, nuclear missiles in their homes?

that too american movies would further kindle them to use guns ..afterall they are young students

thimuru
18th April 2007, 01:45 PM

It's not only for self defence! The US Police is very well coordinated, and is one of the best in the world.

:roll:

maithree
19th April 2007, 09:50 AM

And some also choose to go beyond that and take it upon themselves to endanger others, I suppose?

:exactly:

maithree
19th April 2007, 09:51 AM

Why is this insane? What is the insanity in this?

So do you mean every country where people are not allowed to own guns is insane?

The right to bear arms is in the American Constitution. It is a Democracy, What are the Gun Control Rules in India btw? :huh:

maithree
19th April 2007, 09:54 AM

Because those are WMDs!! :lol2:

Seriously, stopping ppl from getting guns isn't the right thing to do. Making it harder to get those guns is the way to go.

OMG!! :rotfl: Judging America this way because of Iraq and Vietnam (Republican Administrations) is like Judging every Muslim by Al-Qieda and other Mujahedeens! Which I'm Sure ppl think is inaccurate isn't it? :wink:

PS again: What're the gun control rules in india btw? Is India "so war-hungry" :confused2:

maithree
19th April 2007, 09:56 AM

:roll:

:confused2:

thimuru
19th April 2007, 09:58 AM
maithree...india ..war hungry???

never!

america is more war hungry than anyone else

Hulkster
19th April 2007, 10:01 AM
America is not war-hungry...its bush's administration principles and his constant aggressiveness which bears down on the whole nation making it seem war-hungry..in fact americans once protested that the Iraq invasion is brutal and be called off but bush being the stubborn fella went on ahead...he has already been criticised severely for his dumb attitude....this gun killing spree...the frequent rapes are the negative aspects of a individualism based culture in US....there is no tradition/religion based control there...every man makes his own decision and the same goes for a woman...thats why such incidents happen but overall they are still a safe country

Badri
19th April 2007, 10:02 AM
Judging America this way because of Iraq and Vietnam (Republican Administrations)

Hello have you ever heard of democracy? The public majority decides the next government.

Who voted the Republicans back into power?

What was Bush's election agenda when he stood for re-election? Did he say he will end war and bring back the boys home? Didnt the American public vote him back because he promised to not bring back the troops till vengeance was done? Didnt the republicans say that Kerry's words were cause for celebration for the terrorists?

That was the election agenda and that was what the American public fell for and voted. They wanted war, so they voted the President who would give them war. I call that war hungry. And because the majority voted that way, that is the face of America everyone sees. Not the few who would choose to disagree.

Yes I agree there are people who dont agree with the Bush policies but hey, can I therefore say India is not a democracy because there are a few people who dont believe in it?

And your example of the mujahideens is not accurate...that is only a faction within. They didnt vote for the mujahideens to be their spokespersons unlike Americans who did choose Bush bcos they liked his policies.

The majority of Muslims are a victim of extremists not the cause of it.

maithree
19th April 2007, 10:06 AM
maithree...india ..war hungry??? never!

That's my point! Getting guns doesn't make a country war-hungry (which is why i asked the question abt India....what are the ristrictions on guns in India? :huh:). The wrong kind of ppl getting into the white house does. :( Which is what has given that image. :) The 2 main wars which gave america that image are Vietnam and Iraq. Both of those had a striking majority of the Americans opposing it when it took place.

PS: There are many countries worse than the US when it comes to Violence. :D

dev
19th April 2007, 10:07 AM
India- war hungry???!!!...:lol: I don't see any history of India initiating even a single war against another country & I am confident that it will not do anything of that sort in the near future too...

maithree
19th April 2007, 10:10 AM
America is not war-hungry...its bush's administration principles and his constant aggressiveness which bears down on the whole nation making it seem war-hungry..in fact americans once protested that the Iraq invasion is brutal and be called off but bush being the stubborn fella went on ahead...he has already been criticised severely for his dumb attitude....this gun killing spree...the frequent rapes are the negative aspects of a individualism based culture in US....there is no tradition/religion based control there...every man makes his own decision and the same goes for a woman...thats why such incidents happen but overall they are still a safe country

:yes: :yes: :clap: :clap:

maithree
19th April 2007, 10:11 AM
India- war hungry???!!!...:lol: I don't see any history of India initiating even a single war against another country & I am confident that it will not do anything of that sort in the near future too...

Wha...No one said India was a war hungry nation! :)

What is India's Ristrictions on Gun Control?????????? :huh:

thimuru
19th April 2007, 10:15 AM
in india its very difficult to get guns!

donno abt the right conditions!

i think they must give the correct information abt the need for security

maithree
19th April 2007, 10:25 AM
Hello have you ever heard of democracy? The public majority decides the next government.

Who voted the Republicans back into power?

Ever heard of "Bush Cheated on the Elections"? :huh:

Didnt the American public vote him back because he promised to not bring back the troops till vengeance was done?

Yes, but thats not what brought him into power.

Didnt the republicans say that Kerry's words were cause for celebration for the terrorists?

Kerry made a million things wrong in his campagne! Saying "If u do good in school, then ur smart, if u do bad in school u end up in Iraq" just being the slighest mistake. That man lost himself the election! Even an idiot won't vote for him! We didn't want another Bush! :P Kerry was just a very bad Democratic Candidate.

Yes I agree there are people who dont agree with the Bush policies

That is the striking majority! Bush won the first time, because he cheated. (Watch F9-11 for more info on that. Awesome Documentary! :thumbsup: ) He didn't win the 2nd time because of War-Hungry Americans. Thats a silly assumption. War isn't the only things the republicans support, there are other things like Anti-Homosexuality, Anti-Abortion, Anti-Stem Cell Reserch etc etc, there are A LOT of Strong Xtians who will vote for Bush just for this, but that doesn't mean they support the Iraq War. They believe so strongly in the Bible that, their urge to safe guard those rules overpowers everything else! That doesn't mean that they're war hungry! :D They rely of the Republicans to safeguard these rules, becaues Democrats are Secular and won't follow an xtian agenda, and even more than the war, it was these core principles that the Republicans propagated during the 2nd election! :) That's why he won, because it was a sensitive time for xtians, and the republicans did the right lobbying. :)

Again: Americans Aren't War Hungry! :)

hey didnt vote for the mujahideens to be their spokespersons unlike Americans who did choose Bush bcos they liked his policies.

True! But those policies aren't War for the Majority.

maithree
19th April 2007, 10:26 AM
in india its very difficult to get guns!

donno abt the right conditions!

i think they must give the correct information abt the need for security

Can someone confirm this? :)

thimuru
19th April 2007, 10:29 AM
maithree...u say only bush wishes war!

but why did people elect him? :roll:

thimuru
19th April 2007, 10:34 AM
maithree...so the americans dint care for innocent iraqis being killed!

they are concerned abt more important isuues like anti-abortion

maithree
19th April 2007, 10:36 AM
Gun Control in India. This is what you need. :)

* their date of birth;
* the availability of a safe place to store the firearm and ammunition;
* the purpose for which they require a firearm;
* any previous criminal record or prohibition to possess a firearm. However, if the report of the police officer is not sent within the prescribed time limit (3 months), the licensing authority may grant the licence.

It doesn't seem that hard to get a gun in India either. :?

but this is very good. This is how it sould be here also! :) But banning guns all together isn't the right thing to do. :D

BUT!...

Just like anyother law in india, this is virutually useless, as it isn't very hard to get them illegally.

Also Scan this Action:

India accounts for the majority of small arms in South Asia, which has an estimated 75 million firearms (63 million of which are in civilian possession). (3)

Reg American Movies:

Action Adventure is only one genre of American Movies. There is also "Comedy, Romance, Drama, Romantic Comedy etc etc) The movies in other Genres also get released frequently, sometimes even more so than the Action Adventure Genre, as opposed to Tamil Movies which has xtream violent Content in almost every other movie, and those movies are open for everyone of all ages to see, and are not frequently ristricted with an "A" Certificate when needed.

And If i remember correctly, the Indian censor board has only recently been very strict on not letting minors into A Certificate films. :)

maithree
19th April 2007, 10:40 AM
maithree...so the americans dint care for innocent iraqis being killed!

they are concerned abt more important isuues like anti-abortion

Like I said, it's the lobbying. The republicans used these other issues to lobby more so than anything else...Propaganda can really shut the eyes of ppl...and that's what is going on here right now.

Infact, many americans have started to watch BBC, because the American Media which is mainly owned by Bush's Party propagates the wrong things. :) What is really going on in Iraq isn't what we hear here because of the Bias republican Media.

It's not just one thing, it's many things which one them the election. But one thing is for sure, Americans being War Hungry isn't an accurate accusation.

thimuru
19th April 2007, 10:43 AM
OK :D

maithree
19th April 2007, 10:48 AM
:shock:

Virginia gunman sent final video

Picture of Cho Seung-hui that he sent to NBC News
Cho's package to NBC contained pictures of himself with guns

Killer's TV video
The student who shot dead at least 30 people at Virginia Tech sent a package to the US TV network NBC News on the day of the shootings, police said.

The package contained "disturbing" photographs, video and writings, NBC said, posted from the college campus between the two rounds of killings.

Cho Seung-hui is shown pointing guns at the camera, and ranting angrily.

A total of 33 people, including the gunman himself, died in shootings at two locations on Monday.

"You had a hundred billion chances and ways to have avoided today," the 23-year-old gunman said angrily, in an excerpt shown on NBC Nightly News.

A student at a memorial on the Virginia Tech campus

Gunman's message
Timeline and key locations

"But you decided to spill my blood. You forced me into a corner and gave me only one option. The decision was yours. Now you have blood on your hands that will never wash off," Cho said.

"I didn't have to do this. I could have left. I could have fled. But now I will no longer run," the gunman said.

Police have revealed that Cho was admitted to a mental health unit in late 2005.

He was sent for evaluation after two female students made complaints against him, they said.

'Very angry'

NBC said a time stamp on the package indicated it was sent in the two-hour interval between two killings in a dormitory and a second, massive round of killings in a classroom building.

The envelope, sent to NBC's headquarters in New York, was slightly misaddressed and carried the wrong postal zip code, which delayed its delivery by a day.

The TV network said the package was received in Wednesday morning's mail.

A student at a memorial to those shot dead
Memorials have been erected on the Virginia Tech campus

It contained an 1,800-word diatribe and 43 photos, 11 of them showing Cho aiming handguns at the camera. He also sent 28 video clips.

Head of NBC News Steve Capus said it had a "rambling, manifesto-like statement embedded with a series of photographs."

Mr Capus said the material was "hard-to-follow... disturbing, very disturbing - very angry, profanity-laced," but did not contain any images of Monday's shootings.

Student complaints

Two people were killed at the West Ambler Johnston Hall, a university dormitory, at 0715 on Monday.

Two hours later Cho killed 30 others, plus himself, at the Norris Hall complex across campus.

Authorities have not yet linked the 23-year-old to any of those he killed.

Police say the same gun was used at both locations but have not definitely proved that Cho was at West Ambler Johnstone at the time of the shootings there.

The complaints by students against Cho were made in November and December 2005, around the time Cho's English teachers raised concerns over his writing and general behaviour.

In the aftermath of the shootings, teachers and fellow students have spoken of Cho's extreme moods, violent writings and unpredictable behaviour.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/6570241.stm

:cry:

Gonna hit the sack. :wave:

maithree
19th April 2007, 10:49 AM
PS: The Desi Chick who died in the shooting is Supposedly on Orkut.

thimuru
19th April 2007, 11:05 AM
whats the reason for the shoot-out?

why was he agitated?

Raghu
19th April 2007, 03:49 PM
aama, ithe mathiri SL villa, SL Military MORONS tamzhirhalai Yaazhpaanathila Massa murder panna, orutharum thread aarambikimaataenga

Americans Morons IRAQ -la ulla Pothu makala Kodi kannakila Kondru Kuvitha Thread aarambikimaatenga

Yarro oru mental, american kolai seinjathum ithekelleam oru thread

:hammer: :bangcomp: :argh: :banghead: :twisted: :evil: :angry2:

selvakumar
19th April 2007, 05:40 PM
Raghu,
I agree with your points but not the way how they have been expressed here :(

Nakeeran
19th April 2007, 08:24 PM
Raghu sir

The objective of this thread is to discuss about the changing mindset of youths especially college goers .

See how easily a college guy can buy arms ! I dont think this is a postive trend / development.

First of all, why US has permitted such a right for student level guys ! See, just a personal issue has been made such a fuss that so many precious lives have been lost.

thimuru
19th April 2007, 08:52 PM
RAGHU.....THATS WAR!

this is an incident

maithree
19th April 2007, 09:07 PM

why was he agitated?

He was just insane, he had some vengence towards the RICH!

He said something like "I hate you rich kids etc"

A Communist from South Korea, not that surpricing. But he also had some mental issues which pushed him to this.

These guys, and the Kids in Columbine were just insane.

maithree
19th April 2007, 09:27 PM
Americans Morons IRAQ -la ulla Pothu makala Kodi kannakila Kondru Kuvitha Thread aarambikimaatenga

Ada Paavigala! :lol:

Roughly 100 Ppl die everyday due to Car/Suicide Bombs in Iraq! (Not by American SOldiers) :lol2: Is Mass Killing new to Iraq? NO! Saddam Hussien killed Hundrends of Thousands of Shia Muslims and Kurds!!

Americans aren't the Cause for Most of the killings anymore! Appo Lakshakanakula Sadam Kola panna, ippo Avangaley Avanga aalungala noothu kanakula konnukuraange! America's killing was only in the beggning phases of the war which was years ago. If America hadn't gone in Saddam would still be killing Hundrends of Thousands of Shia Muslims and Kurds! Now Interior Secretarian Groups are killing in Hundreds. :cry:

Not saying the war is right in any way! It was a Huge Mistake! American Marines are dieing in the Process, and it's killing the American Economy! Hope Hillary Clinton can put a Stop to all this. :cry:

Yarro oru mental, american kolai seinjathum ithekelleam oru thread

I guess we're just seen as important ppl! :lol2: JK!! :oops:

NDTV is giving this a lot more coverage than something which happened @ HOME!

*Kashmir Bombs aren't given this much Coverage!
*The Nithari Seriel Killings are Forgotten by NDTV even though the case isn't Over!

SIGH! Enna Sierathu? :(

maithree
19th April 2007, 09:42 PM
See how easily a college guy can buy arms ! I dont think this is a postive trend / development.

This has been this way for Centuries. It's only acting up like this now. The Rules have to change. It has to be harder to get a gun.

First of all, why US has permitted such a right for student level guys ! See, just a personal issue has been made such a fuss that so many precious lives have been lost.

Sadly Gun Control couldn't have saved the lives of the ppl in the Dorms. :( That was the Personal Vengence killing. The S-Korean kid could've even Shanked them with a Kitchen Knife.

Hillary Clinton Jeicha ellame maridum! :clap: Iraq War will slowly End, There will be more Control on Guns, Homosexuals will have the right to get married if they choose to. Abortion issue will become Pro-Choice! 8-)

Columbine happened in '99 during Clinton's time, but he couldn't bring in laws abt Gun Control etc etc because Dems didn't have power over Senate and House. Now they do, so passing laws will be easier than it has ever been in the HIstory of the US for the Dems! :thumbsup:

Kollywoodfan
20th April 2007, 01:28 AM
Gun Control is a touchy topic. Because implementing a strict policy will violate the Bill of Rights, but not doing so can lead to massacres like the VA Tech. The rules must change.

First of all, gun laws in Virginia are some of the most lenient laws in the nation. After this one can see, that it's not only enough to run a criminal background check, but a thorough psychological analysis by any means must be done as well.

The victims of this tragedy will live on in our hearts and prayers for their families. :(

Kollywoodfan
20th April 2007, 01:29 AM

why was he agitated?

He was depressed and very angry. I'm sure he was made fun of at some point of his life.

Kollywoodfan
20th April 2007, 01:36 AM
Psychiatrist: Showing Video Is 'Social Catastrophe'
Mental Health Expert Says Shooter Was Trying to Attempt Immortality; Showing Clips Validates His Delusions
Related Stories

"If anybody cares about the victims in Blacksburg and if anybody cares about their children, stop showing this video now. Take it off the Internet. Let it be relegated to YouTube," Welner said. "This is a social catastrophe. Showing the video is a social catastrophe."

During a pause in his killing spree Monday, Cho sent a package that included 43 photos, video clips and a letter to NBC. NBC received the package Wednesday.

The videos included Cho's rants on the reasoning behind the crimes he was presumably about to commit.

"Do you know what it feels like to be torched alive? Do you know what it feels like to be humiliated and impaled on a cross and left to bleed to death for your amusement? You have never felt a single ounce of pain in your whole lives. You have vandalized my heart, raped my soul and torched my conscience," Cho said in the videos.

Welner believes that instead of offering insight, these videos merely offer validation of delusional behavior.

"I think that's very important for the viewing audience to understand. This is not him.These videos do not help us understand him. They distort him. He was meek. He was quiet. This is a PR tape of him trying to turn himself into a Quentin Tarantino character," Welner said. "This is precisely why this should not be released. Parents, you should cut the pictures out of the newspaper. Do not let your children see it. Take them out of the room when these videos are shown. Because he's paranoid and his agenda of blaming the rest of the world is unedited."

"There's nothing to learn from this except giving it validation. If this rambling showed up in an emergency room, my colleagues and I would listen carefully and, when we reflected that it was delusional, would go see the next patient and start the medication," he said. "This makes it sound like he was tormented. He wasn't."

Although the school and authorities have been criticized in recent days about reports of Cho's mental states and past run-ins with students, Welner said that unless someone appeared to be high risk there was little medical professionals could do.

"In an emergency room, again, unless someone is at high risk, then there's nothing you can do. [Cho] presented to mental health authorities. He's certainly capable of presenting himself quietly," Welner said.

ajithfederer
20th April 2007, 01:37 AM
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070419/ap_on_re_us/virginia_tech_shooting;_ylt=ArN2JtZqQxeZ9KwewliVN3 jMWM0F

Kollywoodfan
20th April 2007, 01:42 AM
The fact of the matter is that all immigrants, actually kids in general are made fun of at some point in their life. Student life, peer pressure is tough EVERYWHERE, not only America. He could have made the effort to make friends, but if he chose to be meek, than that was HIS choice. Yes, I feel bad for the depressed who feel like their only way out is to kill themselves, but that does NOT justify killing others. With these videos and pics, which IMO should not be aired any longer, he felt that he would be immortal, but people instead now people who thought of him as a victim, view him as a cold-blooded murderer.

maithree
20th April 2007, 05:37 AM
First of all, gun laws in Virginia are some of the most lenient laws in the nation.

Exactly! That's why I said "Lets face it, it is Virginia" :P

Yes, I feel bad for the depressed who feel like their only way out is to kill themselves, but that does NOT justify killing others.

Ppl who are that depressed, are like u said meek and have some wierd issues of their own.

If anyone has any shade of anything normal in them, they can still fit in some crowd or the other.

but it's not always lack of acceptance which pushes ppl to this level.

Eric and Dylan (Columbine Duo) were very popular, had a huge circle of friends, and were also good students in school. The idea that they were Social Outcasts is a Complete MYTH! I know because I chose to do a report on them when I was a Sophmore in High School.

So Lack of Acceptance in School or anything doesn't push a person far enough to kill.

If they kill, then they still would even if they were accepted.

Raghu
20th April 2007, 04:07 PM
Nakeeran & Selva,

It is in America, so anything is possible, the world is making a BIG DEAL esp the Brtish , cos it is the Americans, damn it!

and regarding the WAR in Iraq, which UGLY Morons are responsible for it?? whether a SCUD missle kill a human being or any other being, DEATH is same, one must remember this, whether it is an American , Indian , Sri Lankan or a Dog these are all living things

I HATE it so much when every ones Esp us Indians make a BIG deal about the Americans or the British, we should learn to RESPECT other human being as well, i give up, this wll NEVER happen :argue: :argue: :argue:

thimuru
20th April 2007, 04:37 PM
RAGHU U INDIAN OR SRILANKAN

Raghu
20th April 2007, 04:45 PM

WHAT EVER, BE IT INDIAN OR SRI LANKAN IT IS THE SAME THING,

thimuru
20th April 2007, 04:56 PM

TAMILIAN :wink:

Raghu
20th April 2007, 06:41 PM

INDEED :)

Jabroni
20th April 2007, 11:19 PM
Nakeeran & Selva,

It is in America, so anything is possible, the world is making a BIG DEAL esp the Brtish , cos it is the Americans, damn it!

and regarding the WAR in Iraq, which UGLY Morons are responsible for it?? whether a SCUD missle kill a human being or any other being, DEATH is same, one must remember this, whether it is an American , Indian , Sri Lankan or a Dog these are all living things

I HATE it so much when every ones Esp us Indians make a BIG deal about the Americans or the British, we should learn to RESPECT other human being as well, i give up, this wll NEVER happen :argue: :argue: :argue:

they are too harsh words to use on a public forum.

Kollywoodfan
21st April 2007, 04:28 AM
Raghu sir,

I understand your frustration and let me assure you that Americans ourselves are very frustrated with what is going on esp in Iraq and all. ALthough death is death, you are mixing two VERY different things here and I'm trying to see your point.

War is war and politics will always be politics. Where this is considered, the harsh reality is that people are expected to suffer and die. Are you saying that because we Americans (as in Bush :roll:) started a war, we deserve these kinda of massacres and that no one should make a big deal about them?

Just forget the fact that this is America though and think of it just violence. This can happen anywhere. There are a countless number of depressed people world-wide, but the reason that this is a big deal is that in a nation considered as "safe" as America, people don't expect these things to happen on such a big scale.

In fact, news like this again points out how dignified countries like India are, because people value education and don't go on shooting rampages within institutions. Even my teachers and I were saying, how it was unbelievable that it was an Asian kid since things like the do not happen in Asia for the most part.

Don't forget, there are Indians in America too. People like Professor Logananthan and the other desi girl are impacted by this and they deserve to be recognized.

ajithfederer
21st April 2007, 07:53 AM
Is there any word called Tamilian :roll: Its Tamizhan :)

maithree
21st April 2007, 12:02 PM
Raghu sir,
I understand your frustration and let me assure you that Americans ourselves are very frustrated with what is going on esp in Iraq and all. ALthough death is death, you are mixing two VERY different things here and I'm trying to see your point.
War is war and politics will always be politics. Where this is considered, the harsh reality is that people are expected to suffer and die. Are you saying that because we Americans (as in Bush :roll:) started a war, we deserve these kinda of massacres and that no one should make a big deal about them?
Just forget the fact that this is America though and think of it just violence. This can happen anywhere. There are a countless number of depressed people world-wide, but the reason that this is a big deal is that in a nation considered as "safe" as America, people don't expect these things to happen on such a big scale.

In fact, news like this again points out how dignified countries like India are, because people value education and don't go on shooting rampages within institutions. Even my teachers and I were saying, how it was unbelievable that it was an Asian kid since things like the do not happen in Asia for the most part.

Don't forget, there are Indians in America too. People like Professor Logananthan and the other desi girl are impacted by this and they deserve to be recognized.

Kolly! :D Semma Post! I espicially love the bold sentences! :thumbsup:

Are you saying that because we Americans (as in Bush :roll:) started a war, we deserve these kinda of massacres and that no one should make a big deal about them?

I dont' think so, because he is also saying that Death is death wether it's american, indian, iraqi etc etc. If he did, that would make him a hipocrate. But I don't think he meant that. :)

Countries in Asia have similar issues of their own. Sometimes far worse than the Virginia Carnage. :) I know u meant "chinese decent" when u said Asia in that post, but many countries in Asia, like many middle eastern nations, India, Pakistan, Bangladesh, Indonesia, etc etc have the risk of young students get ricruted into radical organizations.

If ppl say that it isn't that common (which I beg to differ with, but that's a different issue), similarly shootouts by psychos isn't that common in the US either. 8-)

Reg the whole world putting so much focus on something that happens in the US....I agree with Raghu. Why!?? :? Like I said, India's NDTV has given a hell of a lot more coverage to this issue than they do to Kashmir everytime a bomb explodes! This event has gotten just as much as coverage as the UP Elections! :lol: :lol: Nithari Serial Killings where a pedophile psycho in Noida, India raped and murdered hundreds of kids and burried them around the city has been forgotten even though it just happened a few months ago!

It is annoying when the world forgets what is going on in their home and starts debating abt Gun Control in a Nation thousands of miles away even though their home has FAR WORSE problems!! :lol: Yeah, America is Considered Safe to a certain extent etc, but still, gets a bit annoying! :x I agree with Raghu Ji on this! 8-)

Kollywoodfan
21st April 2007, 05:23 PM
Ok Surya :)

Like I said, I understand where Raghu is coming from but I'm just addressing his harsh stance towards America. Sry Raghu sir, I didn't mean to attack you or anything, but it's nationalism...

About Asian countries, I say it's for the most part not a student taking out 32. It was the general concensus since people were shocked that the perpetrator was a Korean.

I agree with Raghu sir and it's really not fair that India publicizes it more than domestic issues, but personally I think THE WHOLE WORLD should stop publicizing it, especially using that guy's pictures and videos. We shouldn't promote it and give ideas to some other depressed person out there. Already, following that there have been so many threats here since kids want to follow that "example." He was trying to immortalize and justify this evil deed that he did, but we shouldn't oblige him.

Lambretta
22nd April 2007, 11:11 PM
Kolly! :D Semma Post! I espicially love the bold sentences! :thumbsup:
Kaka, I thought it was u who's made em bold? :P J/K! :D

Neways, u & kolly do hav very sensible statements......one point I find rather hard to agree w/ tho.....

In fact, news like this again points out how dignified countries like India are, because people value education and don't go on shooting rampages within institutions.
They may not go to the extent of shooting (as yet) but there sure r cases of violence existing esp. in Govt. run colleges, where politically originated goondaism etc. r prevalent....then of course the unpleasant turns ragging is taking......but neways, 'dont want to digress into this.....!
& yea, I dont think Raghu had ne personal grudge against the US either...:)

Nakeeran
23rd April 2007, 04:03 PM
Kollywoodfan, U have nicely conveyed what I was thinking.

This deadly mass murder issue should be taken as a case study so that one can prevent such freak instances in future.

Apply metal detectors & scan all entrants . This can prevent to some extent.

I dont think the college students are permitted to own arms in India.

Kollywoodfan
24th April 2007, 02:23 AM
Well I know that it's not always the case that these things don't happen Asia, hence why I said for the most part.

As Nakeeran said, which I'm altering a bit, it's not a crime to take away some rights, like the freedom to bear arms and the first amendment and all, to save lives.

Raghu
27th April 2007, 02:29 PM
Kolly,

No No, u have completley mistaken me, i am have nothing againts US citizens, it is the POLITICIANS i am talking about... but then again it is the citizens of USA that elects these politicians right?, so....

Oh well, it is UTTER human nature, i suppose :sad:

Kollywoodfan
29th April 2007, 09:24 PM
Kolly,

No No, u have completley mistaken me, i am have nothing againts US citizens, it is the POLITICIANS i am talking about... but then again it is the citizens of USA that elects these politicians right?, so....

Oh well, it is UTTER human nature, i suppose :sad:

I'm sorry, I was taken aback by your harshness. I do understand what you're trying to say though.