PDA

View Full Version : thiruvasakam in symphony

Pages : 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8

tmrrmt
2nd July 2005, 10:19 AM
UV - can you give URL for the MP3 of the ELEPHUNK THEME ?

Thanks

tmrrmt
2nd July 2005, 11:05 AM
Omigosh!! I got the MP3 from the web -- it is not even a blatant lift - they have actually played their rap stuff over IR's song !!!!!

tmrrmt
2nd July 2005, 12:33 PM
guys - thought of starting a separate thread, but decided to stick to this

We need to start concerted, consolidated, collective efforts for a GRAMMY NOMINATION for IR's work in TIS this year

please give your inputs, as to how we can proceed forth

if required we will start a separate thread for the same

Jacky
2nd July 2005, 12:41 PM
http://www.grammy.com/awards/grammy/process.aspx

tmrrmt
2nd July 2005, 01:53 PM
Guys, in the first hour of its release in Music World, Brigade Road, Bangalore, in just one outlet, 300-350 copies of TiS have been sold (yesterday the 1st of July)

Planet M has not received its consignments yet and its outlet on Brigade Road is besieged with calls for orders in bulk quantity - on enquiry at the Planet M outlet in ITPL, Whitefield, here, I was stunned to learn that one company representative has placed a bulk order for 1000 pieces of TiS!! that is a stunner indeed !

I really wonder how the sales are going in other places - guys, why dont we approach advt agencies like LINTAS etc and ask them to sponsor a TiS billboard in important roads like MG Road, Bangalore, Secunderabad Tank Bund Road, Mumbai Warren Road, Delhi Connaught Circle etc ?

Osho
2nd July 2005, 02:02 PM
Prabhudas and Suresh,

A big Thank you for the account on TIS Ceremony to the Former and kudos to the later for the review or rightly your feelings on the TIS.

If its million times more than that of Guru, i cant imagine how the album's gonna be. One thing i am satisfied is with the initial outpour of satisfactory remarks on the album. That indicates that it has surpassed the expectations of the fans. That in one aspect would do a great deal in boosting the sale of the album. One more addition should be a Music video of a track. This again when hosted on different music video channels will again boost the sale of the audio. Welgate should work on this. Remember how Sony boosted ARR's Vandemataram. We should take a leaf from that.

Again, being in a remote place, where i dont have access to the CD, makes me feel sad, but hearing the remarks and the initial outpour of sentiments and joy makes me feel wonderful. Its been long time since i posted on this dear forum. But this day marks an important chapter in the annals of Indian Music history. Let us hope grammy for this genius and for the hard work of all the fans who had made this unbelievable project a grand success.

Waiting for my friend to ship the CD to the middle east.

p
2nd July 2005, 02:05 PM
http://www.indiaglitz.com/channels/tamil/gallery/Events/7696.html

Sanjeevi
2nd July 2005, 03:12 PM
Thiruvasagam release function is telecasting now in Tamizhan TV.

Fans see and enjoy it

natha1729
2nd July 2005, 03:22 PM
I could hear only a few seconds of Umbarkartkarasey and Polla Vinayen samples... and, it was powerful enough to make me feel released from a bondage and bring peace within me. Shri Ilayaraja mentioned that this effort must release himself from the cycle of birth and death.

Music is a path to devotion to God, prayer to whom is the ultimate music. This devotion by enabling one and all to join hands is what will bring peace to all peoples and nations. Shri Ilaiyaraja by giving Thiruvasagam a re-birth in in the manner only he can has released the spiritual invocations of Manicavasagar to the entire troubled world and enable it to seek the ultimate goal, and that is attaining God. Shir Ilayaraja wants to use his priceless gift to pave the way for each individual to find inner peace through prayers with a serving of the most fascinating music that is all embracing.

krish244
2nd July 2005, 04:02 PM
Hi All,

I bought TIS CD (bought one for my friend too) yesterday at Bangalore. Every song in this album attracts you with its tune and lots of symphonic pieces used. Its really very tough to put forth the feelings after hearing the album. I would say everyone needs to listen to it to experience the feelings. As suresh mentions in his review, the second song is a complex one. The twist and turn of the tune will squeeze your heart and one can feel each and every cell of your body reacting to the emotion. Its amazing.

Once again as suresh says I feel very bad that I dont know Thiruvasagam to enjoy it better. Anyway its a beginning.

thanks

Krishnan

tmrrmt
2nd July 2005, 04:27 PM
Guys, how can we reach composer John Williams and hand over the TiS DVD-CD to him ?

Neels
2nd July 2005, 04:30 PM
Newindexpress.com article on the album:

http://www.newindpress.com/NewsItems.asp?ID=IE420050702001622&Page=4&Title=Features+%2D+People+%26+Lifestyle&Topic=0&

Are there any nation-wide press-meets being organised to create awareness of this album? It's crucial to include the mainstream North Indian media in order for the album to reach the discerning WCM lover beyond the Vindhyas. Magazines like India Today, Outlook etc. and newspapers like Times of India should carry write-ups on the album.

I remember reading in the early 90's a glowing review of How to Name It by Pritish Nandy, in the Illustrated Weekly, following which Bombay's Rhythm House sold many copies of the album.

uv
2nd July 2005, 07:15 PM
Friends

What about rest of india
how to we reach folks of bollywood,delhi and rest of india ?
Its kind of becoming tamil only affair.
Guys did anyone in US got the CD, eagerly waiting for it.

Jacky
2nd July 2005, 08:23 PM
[tscii:a775889b34]The best way should be through NDTV. TIS team can write to Feedback@ndtv.com requesting them to cover TIO.
I've seen Mandolin Srinivas on Walk the talk with Shekar Gupta, so if you guys can get in touch with Mr.Gupta, and also convince IR to do this – it'd be nice prologue of TIO to the Northies.
[/tscii:a775889b34]

arun
2nd July 2005, 08:37 PM
I think Rediff has a wide reach esp among the Indian-American community. Is there a way to get them publish an article on TIO?

rajasaranam
2nd July 2005, 08:44 PM
I bought 30 cd's of TIS. AS said earlier i thought if i cant sell it let it lie at my home. What a response the Album has got...... I've sold out all CD's :D
I am convinced that i can sell atleast 100 more albums.
I contacted Tamil mayyam today for more CD's - they have sold out too :D
I enquired about the sale at other outlets -'Music world at spencers plaza has sold 850 CD's on june 1st iteslf...
Landmark has sold more than 500 CD's on the same day of release...
More consignements are coming in today to markets :)
IMO At this rate the initial expectation of selling 3 lakhs Units in first 3 months will be met in first week it self :)
We should thank all media for supporting this project in grand scale. Radio mirchi, ananda vikatan, the hindu etc., especially for giving a big hype to the album.

Hope father.jegath keeps up his Promise - that if we can reach the required sales he can convince IR to bring out more such albums every six months :)

Thalaivaa adutha symphony'kku ready aayidunga we fans are there always with you. But next one we need it to be pure instrumental please......

app_engine
2nd July 2005, 10:20 PM
http://dinamalar.com/2005july02/imp6.asp

some more details on the function...(interesting to note that vaiko took some mileage out of this...)

thops
2nd July 2005, 10:20 PM
CDs ordered through tis-usa.com till June 29 have been shipped yesterday and today...should reach folks next week right after the break...

rooky
2nd July 2005, 11:12 PM
bought the Cd from Landmark,forum mall,bangalore.

The album is truly mindblowing and got me thinking how much i have missed from RPH.

It is an extrordinary effort and worth much much more than what u spend to buy this audio

mrangan
2nd July 2005, 11:37 PM
thops,

What were the distribution centers for the US shipments? I had ordered the special edition package couple of weeks ago. I live in the bay area. When can I expect the package? sigh there is a long weekend ahead!

- Impatient Murali

Sanjeevi
3rd July 2005, 12:11 AM
I bought 30 cd's of TIS. AS said earlier i thought if i cant sell it let it lie at my home. What a response the Album has got...... I've sold out all CD's :D
I am convinced that i can sell atleast 100 more albums.
I contacted Tamil mayyam today for more CD's - they have sold out too :D
I enquired about the sale at other outlets -'Music world at spencers plaza has sold 850 CD's on june 1st iteslf...
Landmark has sold more than 500 CD's on the same day of release...
More consignements are coming in today to markets :)
IMO At this rate the initial expectation of selling 3 lakhs Units in first 3 months will be met in first week it self :)
We should thank all media for supporting this project in grand scale. Radio mirchi, ananda vikatan, the hindu etc., especially for giving a big hype to the album.

Hope father.jegath keeps up his Promise - that if we can reach the required sales he can convince IR to bring out more such albums every six months :)

Thalaivaa adutha symphony'kku ready aayidunga we fans are there always with you. But next one we need it to be pure instrumental please......

Thanx rajasaranam,

But i heard about only one lakhs album has been produced for the first phase of selling. Is it true?. If it is true, konjam late-a vanganumnu ninacha kidakkathaa?

rajasaranam
3rd July 2005, 12:38 AM
Thanx rajasaranam,

But i heard about only one lakhs album has been produced for the first phase of selling. Is it true?. If it is true, konjam late-a vanganumnu ninacha kidakkathaa?

I dont know abt this. If its true i think their strategy is wrong - its better to sell AMAP during the initial period itself.....
BTW yaean lateaa vaanganum :? Sikiram vaangi isaiyil moozhgungal :)

rajasaranam
3rd July 2005, 12:50 AM
After repeated hearings.....

The album is not entirely new in my perception. it is RAJA stamp all over the album. The album reminds me more of yesteryear IR compositions. The only difference is that, the orchestration is performed by BSO. Apart from that the album is a treat for lovers of 80's IR which had rich orchestral and choral backing. The album on the whole makes me yearn for such orchestrations in his film songs too which he has lessened in the post 97 scenario. Its all Synths only nowadays for his film music. This album proves beyond doubt that IR can still give us the orchestration and his trademark tunes for which most of his fans are longing for, AIMHO :)

BTW anybody noticed the music which comes in 'polla vinayaen' at the fag end ' just before 'Easan adi potri...' I heard it in 'Kadhal kondaen' as BGM.....

uv
3rd July 2005, 02:21 AM
If it comes in Rediff it will be great
but right they are busy analyzing top 5 heroines of tamil cinema :cry:

svbp007
3rd July 2005, 05:41 AM
It would have been great to have got the CD today...so that we can peacefully listen to it during the long weekend...but guess we cannot expect too much.

thops
3rd July 2005, 05:55 AM
murali - all CDs ordered through tis-usa.com (Paypal) were shipped from NC.

svbp007
3rd July 2005, 06:15 AM
Hello,

Any chance that they are in stores in Boston area or distributed by someone?. Just wondering if we can get a copy before the mail arrives on july 5th or 6th.

Bhanu.

njv
3rd July 2005, 10:05 AM
Bhanu

If someone is visiting NJ this week, then you can get it at dvdunlimitedonline.com. Otherwise you will have to wait till 5th.

njv

njv
3rd July 2005, 10:13 AM
p.s. I also want to give you a small excercise for which the responses will be expected from July 1 onwards!1 here is the exercise!
Please keep a paper and pen next to you when you hear this divine music for the first time and immediately after hearing the second song in the Cd, please turn of your system and write whatever feelings that occurred to you then.
We will select the best entry and the winner will be given a memorable gift !

Of all the blank papers which one will you select for a winner :? :)

Anyway this is my 300th post and i waited for this post to be a one to praise my Raja.

May TIS be a grand success and we shall get a symphony from IR every 6 months as Fr. Jegath had said :)

Rajasaranam sir, TISK will select mine, just because after looking at the poster last week I wrote one "kavithai" and I am not even an amature poet. So after listening to TIS, I will get call from all over to write lyrics for movies!!!!

Rajasaranam

I lost this competition. My blind is blank. I am still trying to fit "Polla vinayaen" in my mind, but could not. Like suresh reviewed, this is probably the most complex composition I have listened to. Gladly, I had a very nice music system, so I could see atleast 20 different instruments in this song. I wonder how a musician in general will decide on the usage of instruments when composing a song, which needs a seperate topic/discussion, but as far as TIS goes, I need to listen atleast 100 times before I can correlate what I know in the world so far with this.

BTW no one mentioned this (surprisingly), but Poovar Senni Mannan was another mind blowing song. When I first played the CD, I increased my volume littlebit (more than the usual volume I keep for "BEAT" songs) because I thought its going to be mild/slow songs, more like slokas, but when the song started it just blowed my heart. It has lot of inspiration from the way they read "Sama Vedam".

jaiganes
3rd July 2005, 07:20 PM
The last piece "putril vaazharavam" is a case in point for "IR's composing technique"!!!
It was lyrics for tune surprisingly !! as IR himself explains it in the album.
IR's voice suits the album 199%
And BTW I bought 3 CDs, one for my parents, one for my in-laws and one for myself.
The thumbee song is set in Tilang raagam (IMO, maybe inaccurate). The raaga is the MSV beauty "Kangal Inge" from Karnan. Oh what a beautiful song! All 6 songs are superb.
IR's musical breeze blows the wind out of artificial plastic music, while lifting the listener gently like a leaf lifted to the top of a building.

Vkrish
3rd July 2005, 08:12 PM
After listening to the album, so many times...now i am very very eager to know the exact meaning of the songs. Especially the 5th song. Can anybody suggest any book or E-text(In Konar guide style) where i can get the meaning of each song, word by word.

svbp007
3rd July 2005, 08:18 PM
thanks NJV. While a trip to NJ is almost 5 hours each way....I asked some NJ freinds to go buy them as they were not aware its available already. May be I should make that trip today...but I am scheduled to go that side again on Tuesday...so will try to hold off. I am telling myself...it took years for this...can try and wait for few days -:)

Bhanu

jeeves
3rd July 2005, 09:41 PM
After listening to the album, so many times...now i am very very eager to know the exact meaning of the songs. Especially the 5th song. Can anybody suggest any book or E-text(In Konar guide style) where i can get the meaning of each song, word by word.

Go here.
http://www.shaivam.org/siddhanta/thivapop.htm
You can find Thiruvasagam English translation by G.U.Pope.

jeera
3rd July 2005, 10:48 PM
Can TISK confirm if the rumors of all CD's being sold out is true. Also, if we still order when would we get it?

thops
4th July 2005, 12:35 AM
jeera...the CDs are not sold out atleast in the USA :-)...TISK is in Dallas (at the TNF event) so you might have to wait for a day if you want to hear this from him directly...

vijayr
4th July 2005, 12:52 AM
got this from a post by a member in IR yahoo fans club:
-------------------

I take immense pleasure in conveying this very very happy news to you
- trade circles have already declared that 'Thiruvasakamby Illayaraja'
is a SUPER HIT !!!!!!!

This is the news we have been waiting for. The hard work,sweat and
toil of Raja,Father and the entire team has yieled the fruit.

1. I went to a lot of music shops in the city yesterday to enquire
about the sales of TIS. I introuduced myself as a Tamil Maiyyam
volunteer.

I was litrelly moved to tears when i heard the responses from the
music shop owners. Everyone were extremely excited about the sales of
TIS. I spent atleast 10 minutes in each shop and in front of my eyes
atleast 20-30 CD's were sold.

Music world sold 850 CD's in a single day.
Landmark sold 500.
AVM sound zone has sold 550.
Giri Trading has sold 475.

Many music shop owners remarked that TIS sales is their personal sales
record. They have never sold so many CD's in a single day.

Wherever i went , they were demanding a minimum of 500 CD's for todays
(sunday) sale.Unfortunately Welgate Audios have not been able to meet
the demand which is the major complaint from the audio shop owners.

Bottomline - the album is a commercial hit. It has reached all kinds of people.

I request everyone to visit music shops near their homes to see
whether they are facing any problems w.r.t distribution. If so,pls
call me @9840328498. I shall take up the issues to Welgate audios.

2. I also went to Burma Bazaar and Ritchie street. So far pirated TIS
CD's are not available at these places. Thank god.

Friends, let us rejoice the super success of TIS. This has clearly
proved that if good music is given, public support will always be
there.

Warm Regards,
Srivatsan P

vijayr
4th July 2005, 12:53 AM
Would be interested in hearing more updates on the sales figures from India/USA/elsewhere(like middle east, singapore etc.) from time to time

vijayr
4th July 2005, 12:54 AM
Also, if you guys find any more good reviews on the album from around the net, please post the links here. Will try to do the same.

vijayr
4th July 2005, 12:55 AM
I hope Welgate audios doesnt bungle it up.

sats
4th July 2005, 02:10 AM
With utmost shock and displeasure, :x i found TIS mp3 downloadable at tamil napster website. Iam not sure whether they are just sample or a complete download. I have sent a mail requesting them to remove the same.

I was little bit disappointed not to have received the TIS cd before the long weekend, but i will be spending the coming weekend on the beach and planning to listen the TIS on cd walkman on the beach watching early morning sun rise.

arun
4th July 2005, 02:10 AM
Here are the reviews at mouthshut.com ( 2 reviews here so far ):

http://www.mouthshut.com/product-reviews/Thiruvasakam_-_Illayaraja-925051455.html

baroque
4th July 2005, 02:24 AM
Thops! yeppo Shankar is returning and when do i get my order in Bay area?

thops
4th July 2005, 03:43 AM
baroque...orders before June 29 have been shipped already and you can expect to receive the CD early next week...other orders will ship on tuesday after the break...

baroque
4th July 2005, 03:55 AM
thanks! I ordered before june 29th, good for me!! Hope Shankar is enjoying his trip to Dallas!!! He deserves some enjoyment!!!

isaiosai
4th July 2005, 04:40 AM
baroque,

Wish he could. While everyone was rejoicing about the release event and sales on Jun 30th and Jul 1st, they were probably the most difficult days for Dr. Sankar. He had to go around, contact others and got the consignment released from customs with great difficulty, only to ship as planned and make us all happy (even though getting the consignment was actaully beyond his control). His daughter helped him in bringing the CDs. They along with Mrs. Sankar and thops have done the shipping on 1st and 2nd. And then, that morning Dr. Sankar had to leave for Dallas along with CDs with hardly any time to breath:-) He probably felt like crying, but ended up laughing, I guess:-) orey comedy!

I understand that the response in Dallas has been very encouraging. He'll probably have more to add on his return. Yes, he deserves atleast some enjoyment, but probably not yet;-) Testing times:-)

TISK
4th July 2005, 06:42 AM
Live Report: There is a awesome response in Dallas Tamizh Vizha.

Infact we run out of of the Cd's here, and lot of orders have been given. Some of the tamil lovers and IR devoted fans wanted desperately the combo pack .

We are closing the shop early and will reach Raleigh soon to excute all other orders...
YIA

crvenky
4th July 2005, 10:33 AM
Dr Sankar or TIS USA members,
Can you please let me know if any song or portion from the original recording is not included in the CD, to suit the CD length or due to any other factor.
Thanks.

tmrrmt
4th July 2005, 12:29 PM
I ordered the special volume DVD/CD from Chennaionline on June 27th, 2005 - when can I expect the delivery ?

irfansong
4th July 2005, 01:14 PM
Hi,

Anyone can give a rough idea about the business that Thiruvasagam has made? In Chennai, I heard through my friend that it did wonderfull business. In Music India, there was a huge crowd itseems. In Bangalore (Landmark), the previous day they had the CDs displayed just before the help desk. I took 3 copies. All three were taken by my friends and I was left with no copies the next day. Then I went to buy one for me and one for my friend and found only half of the previous day's stock present over there. I hope Bangalore's business was also considerable. Please give us an idea about how many CDs have gone so far

Some of my colleagues doesnt know about the release of Thiruvasagam. Is that because the publicity given is not enough? Can the publicity be enhanced a bit more?

Thanks
Irfan

rooky
4th July 2005, 02:30 PM
The mp3s are also in mohankumars, but with the following note.

======================
Dear Music Lovers..

All the songs of Maestro Dr.Ilaiyaraja's "Thiruvasagam in Symphony" is for 'Preview' only. You can listen them by clicking the link from "Download URL". This streaming is to enjoy listening before buying the Original Cd's / DVD's.

Please support this multi-crore Project by buying the Original CD's or by donating directly to "Tamil Maiyam", who brought out this album.
======================

I find the album put in more than one mp3 site till now.Donno whether this is going to help the sales in any way.

In Bangalore,I find it selling pretty well.In landmark,i bought the Cd on saturday.I went first to check for the avialbility,went to the cassettes side and came back to take the CD.I found 3 CDs gone by that time;felt very good.

tmrrmt
4th July 2005, 02:52 PM
rooky - can you write to mohankumars and request/plead with them to remove the MP3s - putting MP3s on their site is in no way going to improve the sales scenario IMO

Shankar
4th July 2005, 03:06 PM
yes...people have ways to download songs even from streaming sites and will sell those copies for cheap, and one of my friends (working for an MNC) asked me to lend my cd to burn a copy....I asked him to go away.
Madhan, you know him :-)

jaiganes
4th July 2005, 03:14 PM
I am Humming Koathumbi Koathumbi all the time.
Amazing and wonderful!
Highest recording quality !! ?thanks to Richard King and feeling ecstatic to hear Manikka Vaasagar's verses in recording quality of this high order.
Three cheers to the choir - Thamizh and English . One word - Beautiful.

A grand salute to Stephen Schwartz for capturing essence of "Pollaa Vinayen". "JOYOUS HAIL".

The orchestra has done a splendid job. Excellent listening experience.

THANKS for Maestro to have sung all songs by himself. He has lent his life to the melting verses of Manikka Vaasagar.

All six songs are packed with enough special features which students of music will do PhD on in the coming years.

I am desparately waiting for DVD of TiO to be released.
Also waiting for RPO symphony and other ventures like "thaayumana swamigal" songs and Puranaanooru.

ps: I bought the CDs in Landmark Chennai and I can see most of the hands having TiO carry more than one!!! :thumbsup:

jaiganes
4th July 2005, 03:57 PM
Coming back to poo eru konum (track # 3). The starting violins sound so "Hindolam" to me, much like the track in "nothing but wind". The lyrics are set in a different raga, while the music is in a different raaga and both come together in "Koa thumbi" and my mind starts buzzing like a thumbi (Dragon fly).

Shankar
4th July 2005, 04:16 PM
Can somebody contact mohankumars.com to remove the mp3 from his site ?
The site doesn't seem to provide any contact details.

rajasaranam
4th July 2005, 05:18 PM
[tscii:a696c19fc3]I posted in Tamilnapster and got a reply. I dont understand how to proceed further :?
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Admin please remove this from the site, I had been a supporter of Tamilnapster from the beginning. though i download the songs i would always make it point to buy the albums if they are really worth it.
But this album warrants no piracy or Mp3's. All involved in this production have toiled long- for more than 3 years to see this day of light. I dont wish to see their hardwork go as a waste. please consider this as a request and remove the album from this site.
Though i understand your intentions in promoting this album from whatever you have given as disclaimer, i belive you can always give sample clippings of the album for people to listen before they buy, not the full album.
If needed ill upload some good samples ripped off when this thread is removed. please do the needful.
Hope you understand the pain of many of IR fans.
regards,
Rajasaranam
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hi Rajasaranam,

We are not asking people not to buy the cd's, infact we are acting as Preview for all. If you see in forums, most people have shown their interest in postive manner to preview and buy the cd's once the hear it and we at TamilNapster will try the best to support the project. We ourselfs bought a Original cd and not a pirated which other sites do.

This is just a way to make the album popular and make people buy them. So I dont think we will be breaking the hearts of the IR fans. If you still think, we are on the wrong way, please reply or PM me for full details.

Also read the complete post on the forums and you will understand wht we are trying to convey to people.

Thanks,
Maja
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This is the disclaimer and request they have put up at site........................................

Project Info

Before you proceed to download the songs for a Preview, please spend some time in reading information about this project and how you can help the project.

Thiruvasagam is Multi Crore project which is being funded by various institutions all around the world, the only way the artists can be benefited is by over all sales of this album world wide. They have to re-pay the loan which was borrowed.

TamilNapster’s request for all music lovers is, "We have spent our money and purchased this album and so we request the same from you. By purchasing this album you donate to the musical society of India and help this project grow, there by making more such projects come"

We have planned to do something different with this release. We have released many audio's in the past, but this is not the same as others, we should so our passion for tamil music , so we would like to request all you Tamil music lovers, to download this and preview the album and if you like them, please purchase the Original CD from nearest outlet.

Else you can donate TamilNapster, from which 70% of all donations collected in this month will be donated to the society of Tamil Maiyam. This is the only way we can help the 150+ artists who worked so hard for this project for 3 years.

If you really respect the passion of Tamil Music, you can donate us and help Tamil Maiyam community and also purchase the original cd from retail outlets.

Donation Information

70% of all donations made for this Release, will goto the "Tamil Maiyam" community for their expenses and remaning for TN for its server expenses for providing songs.
Additional Information (Disclaimer) :
The purpose of TamilNapster.com is not to enable you to download music you would otherwise purchase; instead, this site's purpose is to allow you, the user, to sample the music first in the comfort of your home and help you decide on what you want to purchase next time at the music store or at an online music store.

The songs are NOT in any way meant to replace the actual soundtracks of the album. If you like what you hear, be sure to purchase the original cassette or CD.

The songs are meant for promotional purposes only and their sole copyright rests with their respective Audio Music Company.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Now what shall we do??? Ive seen already that 100's of people have downloaded the songs, while they have posted that they will buy the album for sure. But how far can it be trusted is a BIG ?[/tscii:a696c19fc3]

sats
4th July 2005, 05:30 PM
Rajasaranam

I wrote to tamilnapster and got the following reply,

Hi Sats,

I do agree your point, read our full post information, we also wish to donate some to the community. So if people like you download and just preview the albums, and since many have downloaded it already, there is no use removing now.

Anyway, if you really respect this Audio, either you buy the cd or donate us a minimum money, so tht we will send 50% of all money collected by donation.

Thanks,
Maja

PS. If you still want to remove the links, please send a detailed info to my email : tamilnapster@gmail.com and I will see if i can remove this off.

I sent a reply back to tamilnapster@gmail.com saying their attitude of such making availalbe this MP3 and asking people to buy the cd or donate money is like "Cigarette is injurious to health" on a cigareet pocket. May be a lot of people have to send mail to tamilnapster to get this removed.

rooky
4th July 2005, 05:43 PM
I have written to them to remove the MP3s from their site.Also,wrote to tamilnapster yesterday.

rooky
4th July 2005, 05:50 PM
Rajasaranam

I wrote to tamilnapster and got the following reply,

Hi Sats,

I do agree your point, read our full post information, we also wish to donate some to the community. So if people like you download and just preview the albums, and since many have downloaded it already, there is no use removing now.

Anyway, if you really respect this Audio, either you buy the cd or donate us a minimum money, so tht we will send 50% of all money collected by donation.

Thanks,
Maja

PS. If you still want to remove the links, please send a detailed info to my email : tamilnapster@gmail.com and I will see if i can remove this off.

I sent a reply back to tamilnapster@gmail.com saying their attitude of such making availalbe this MP3 and asking people to buy the cd or donate money is like "Cigarette is injurious to health" on a cigareet pocket. May be a lot of people have to send mail to tamilnapster to get this removed.

Incase,they are really interested in promoting the album,they can put one minute samples of the audio instead of full songs.

Shankar
4th July 2005, 06:17 PM
I feel these are just measures to protect their site from people who might sue them...We should insist on removing the files...If they really want to promote why should the upload the complete score...
I too have mailed them, and we should update Welgate Group, or whoever concerned to mail them and ask them to remove the samples.

I will try finding the contact of welgate, mail them and update it here.

Godfather
4th July 2005, 07:14 PM
Guys,
I too have requested to tamilnapster@gmail.com and webmaster@mohankumars.com with my following message to remove TIS from their site.

SUB: Thanks for helping us !!! Help us better !!!
-----------------------------------------------------
Hi,

Nice to note your interest in publishing Tiruvasagam In Symphony on your site.

In fact, now every tamizh music lovers are celebrating the release as their home festival. Everyone is volunteering to showcase this album as their pride includuing yourself.

But kindly try to understand that it is not a project of any individual. It is a public project. People like you and me have invested lakhs of rupees to make this happen. It has undergone a lot of financial hurdles to see the lime light.

Having said that it looks unfair for me to see the complete mp3 files on your site. Even though I agree your point that it is published as a preview clips to promote the album, you can host a portion of clips rather hosting the full lenght ones. The reason is, not all surfers on net are genuine as we expect. These mp3s may sometimes fulfill their needs rather tempting to buy the original CD.

So I thank you in advance for removing TIS from your site.

Hail...hail...Tamizh.

With regards and thanks,
music lover.

-----------------------------------------------------

thops
4th July 2005, 07:52 PM
here is Mohankumar's contact info (don't know if it is up to date from whois.com) in case you want to call and request him to remove the mp3..

Kumar, Mohan mohankumars@hotmail.com
#207, 7230 - Elwell Street
Burnaby, NA V5E 1K8
CA
604-306-7776

thops
4th July 2005, 07:54 PM
whois info for tamilnapster

Admin Name........... Jeff Waugh
Admin Address........ Spencers Drive, 522N, Richard Hills
Admin Address........
Admin Address........ Texas
Admin Address........ 76180
Admin Address........ OO
Admin Address........ UNITED STATES
Admin Email.......... jeffwaugh_ms@yahoo.com
Admin Phone.......... 01 918 89957
Admin Fax............

Tech Name............ GopalakrishnanC Gopalakrishnan
Tech Address......... A-12, Pandiyan Avenue,25, New Market Street,Choolaimedu High Ro
Tech Address.........
Tech Address......... cHENNAI
Tech Address......... 600094
Tech Address......... TN
Tech Address......... INDIA
Tech Email........... cgkrish@sify.com
Tech Phone........... 91 44 32596090
Tech Fax.............
Name Server.......... ns1.mydnsmachine.com
Name Server.......... ns2.mydnsmachine.com

Vysar
4th July 2005, 08:12 PM
tmstorrents posted in their website too

Raaja Rasikan
4th July 2005, 08:39 PM
Dear Father Jegath / Dr. Shankar.

Iam sending this message from Trichy, my native. I went to Rhythemboss, a noted music centre in Trichy, situated near Cnetral Bustand.

I got introduced myself as a Tamil Mayyam Volunteer(sorry for saying so without your permission) and a member of IR Yahoo Group and enquired abt the sales.

The message is very clear.

Friends, its a super hit in Trichy. The shop has sold 200 copies, which they have ordered, on July 2 itself, the day they recd them. Now he is complaining that he needs more of CD and Tapes as well, he is now more interested in DVD.

So please ask Rep's of Welgate to contact them immediate.

I will try to provide you information from places i go and as i travel.

Thanks and regards,
Raaja Rasikan

svbp007
4th July 2005, 10:47 PM
I agree with what Rajasaranam says below. The music we hear in this is something that we have been exposed to in one way or other through his film songs. Of course, this attempt is fresh and very unique but I do think that this is not something completely new (saying this in a positive way..not negative).

[

quote="rajasaranam"]After repeated hearings.....

The album is not entirely new in my perception. it is RAJA stamp all over the album. The album reminds me more of yesteryear IR compositions. The only difference is that, the orchestration is performed by BSO. Apart from that the album is a treat for lovers of 80's IR which had rich orchestral and choral backing. The album on the whole makes me yearn for such orchestrations in his film songs too which he has lessened in the post 97 scenario. Its all Synths only nowadays for his film music. This album proves beyond doubt that IR can still give us the orchestration and his trademark tunes for which most of his fans are longing for, AIMHO :)

BTW anybody noticed the music which comes in 'polla vinayaen' at the fag end ' just before 'Easan adi potri...' I heard it in 'Kadhal kondaen' as BGM.....[/quote]

rajasaranam
4th July 2005, 11:04 PM
I got introduced myself as a Tamil Mayyam Volunteer(sorry for saying so without your permission) and a member of IR Yahoo Group and enquired abt the sales.

Raaja Rasikan,

You need not be sorry, We are all volunteers in the interest of Tamil mayyam and IR :)

njv
4th July 2005, 11:28 PM
I talk to Mohankumars and he said he will not release teh full MP3 in his site. He is a fan of IR (not to be surprised) and he completely understand the effort involved in this project.

Lets thank him for what he is doing.

Lets all request Tamilnapster to remove from his site.

Thanks
NJV

njv
4th July 2005, 11:39 PM
I have sent this mail to TamilNapster

Dear Maja

I am sure you have been getting various mail from various people, both requesting you to upload MP3 of Thiruvasakam and also to remove them from your site.

As you know, Thiruvasakam is a project that took 1.1 crore, of which 35 lakhs came in from donations made by public. The remaining 75 lakhs are collected thru' loans, of which few of them are interest free loans, but most of them are interest loans. The interest that TamilMaiyam (specifically Rev Fr Jegath) pays is in lakhs a month. The only way that he can recover from his life long debt is by selling as many CDs as they can. Only for this purpose, he also agreed to sell the CD for rs 150 and Cassettes for Rs 90. With discounts people are getting CDs for as low as 120 and cassettes for 75 Rs.

To summarize, I would like you to consider the following
a. the monumental tasks Tamil Maiyam has taken
b. The outstanding debt TamilMaiyam has
c. Dependency of commercial success of TIS for future release of such good projects

I humbly request you to kindly remove them from you link. I am not sure how can I repay for doing this, but if you want me to wash your feet for this, I will do that. Please kindly accept my mail (among many other mails) and remove the songs from your site.

I do hope that you will honor our request and remove them from your site and my sincere thanks to you for doing this.

Thanks
IRDevotee

Hopefully he will understand this and remove as soon as he can.

rajasaranam
5th July 2005, 12:26 AM
Hmmm As far as i see there is no use in persuing this matter with Tamilnapster.:(
Here is my PM and Reply
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Maja,

I dont want to demean your intentions and purpose of promoting this album and tamil music. And ive gone through your post and request for people to donate for this album. Hope we can belive that people wil buy this album after listening to. but how far can they be trusted.
You certainly know the way MP3's can be circulated Over the net. one person downloading doesnt end there, but it multiplies manyfold in the cyberworld.
If you mean to do it for review purpose only you can consider doing some of these
# Edit the Songs and upload some fine bits and pieces only
# Else add a watermark like 'You are listening to Tamilnapster.com' every 30 seconds or so, so that the people dont get the complete richness as to when they listen it through original CD"s. this can be done using any audio editing tools.
# Else for this album alone upload a low quality like a RM file or 32 kpbs MP3 only.

Ill help you in doing any of the above, if you wish to help the cause of tamil mayyam.

regards,
Rajasaranam
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hi Rajasaranam,

Great to see you keep PM'ing me and regarding your request, I am sure most of the people who heard the songs would definitely buy the album and I have received more than 20+ emails thanking for the songs and they have ordered them online.

All these were since TN gave them a chance to hear those songs before purchase. So I think I am moving in the right track and TN will always move in the right track.

Also you ideas were really good, I hope to start a streaming section in TN, where people could listen to the songs online, now that all expense have been made my be solo, I am looking forward for Donation and support from Advertisers.

Incase you wish to donate/help/join TN Team, you can contact me at : tamilnapster@gmail.com

Thanks,
Maja
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hope Tamil mayyam/Wellgate Take up the matter in their own hands to end this issue

baroque
5th July 2005, 01:20 AM
I called Mr.Mohankumar!! He informed me he has already removed mp3s but hosting only sample tracks(which is good!!). Thanks Mr.Mohankumar for your kind, positive response!!! Great Day! vinatha

Ilavenil
5th July 2005, 02:58 AM
Thanks to you guys, mohankumars web-site has even taken away the samples and asks for donation to listen to the samples. Now, I am really not sure if I should buy it or not. :!:

isaiosai
5th July 2005, 03:13 AM
Friends,
Got this positive reply from TamilNapster. Hope this will be done soon.

Date: Tue, 5 Jul 2005 01:45:39 +0530
From: "TamilNapster.com" <tamilnapster@gmail.com> Add to Address Book

As your request, I will do as you say. Please provide me sometime, so that I can remove the songs and put only bit tracks for Preview Purpose.

Thanks,
TN Admin

rooky
5th July 2005, 09:30 AM
Tamilmaiyam or the Welgate audios shall release the sales figure for the first week in an official manner in their website/in a popular weekly or website.This will give more awareness and more people would buy.

tvsankar
5th July 2005, 09:32 AM
Dear All,
Cd piracy mattum prob illai.Naam yaaruku ellam tharugiromo, avaragalukum idhai kattayam puriya vaika vendum.En relatives ku naan free ya than thandhaen.Appodhu avargal casualaga avargal friend ku cd writer il write siedhu tharugiraen enru sonnargal.Shock anaen.Avargauluku TIS in hard work patri details solli,cd write seiya vendam enru kettu kondaen.
So naam ,nammai sutri ullavargalukum idhai spread seiya vendiya kattayum irukiradhu enru ninaikiraen.
With Love,
Usha Sankar.

sivakumar99
5th July 2005, 12:29 PM
hi all,
i had a chance of speaking to one of the tiruvasagam distributor, he told me in music world ( spencers ) on the 1st sale itself was 720 cds

Sanjeevi
5th July 2005, 12:51 PM
Dear All,
Cd piracy mattum prob illai.Naam yaaruku ellam tharugiromo, avaragalukum idhai kattayam puriya vaika vendum.En relatives ku naan free ya than thandhaen.Appodhu avargal casualaga avargal friend ku cd writer il write siedhu tharugiraen enru sonnargal.Shock anaen.Avargauluku TIS in hard work patri details solli,cd write seiya vendam enru kettu kondaen.
So naam ,nammai sutri ullavargalukum idhai spread seiya vendiya kattayum irukiradhu enru ninaikiraen.
With Love,
Usha Sankar.

Well said

rooky
5th July 2005, 02:29 PM
The essence of music is much more felt listening with a headphone.
It really is a huge difference to listening without headphone.

Neels
5th July 2005, 02:49 PM
Here's the link to Hindustan Times' article on Tiruvasakam, based on their interview/ pressmeet with Tamil Maiyam.

http://www.hindustantimes.com/news/181_1416149,00110005.htm

Firstly, the article heavily underplays the role of IR in this effort.

Secondly it throws in something new - that it was inspired by Messiah, the oratario. Well, inspiration being the most (ab)used word in India, especially when it comes to music, it can be interpreted by the readers in many ways... I wonder what prompted Fr. Jagath to say so to the mainstream media? The article implies as if the objective was to simply create a Hindu version of a popular Christian performing art form. There's a risk of people north of the Vindhyas equating this effort (if at all they bother to read about it) as yet another "copied work" from the West.

Shankar
5th July 2005, 05:22 PM
I too saw this, and I sent the following mail to HT...Not sure how they would take it.
-------------------------------------------------------------

I got a chance to read the article named "Global musicians sing paeans to Lord Shiva" by the associated press published in your website.
First thing, the article tries to justify the 'name' given to the article and underplays the role of the composer.
The whole idea was conceived and crafted by Ilaiyaraja, and Mr. Lszlo kovacs (the conductor), Mr. Stephen Schwartz & Richard King have played a very good supporting role.
But the article doesn't seem to imply this.
I have read a few articles and interviews as to how the whole idea came to Mr. Ilaiyaraja and how he went about finding the right people to bring out this album. I feel sad that his contribution hasn't been highlighted at all.

While everyone's involvement is important to produce a great product, one cannot underplay the role of the main composer, and the man who dared to create a work no Indian composer had even thought before.
-------------------------------------------------------------

jeeves
5th July 2005, 05:26 PM
One more review @

http://santhoshguru.blogspot.com/2005/07/blog-post.html

tmrrmt
5th July 2005, 05:42 PM
I have also posted a feedback to HT along the lines of what Shankar has posted - I suggest that each and everyone of us do the same, highlighting the fact that TiS is Maestro's brainchild and that the others only played supplemental roles

gopiharan
5th July 2005, 07:07 PM
if anyone can translate the tamil word 'MeiSilirthal' to english, this is what the feeling i
got after hearing Thiruvasagam, ofcourse not to deny the fact that i got it after multiple hearings...
to be truthful, i was not very much impressed after hearing for the first time, but repeated hearings had
placed me in a no man land in complete darkness. People talk much about 'Polla Vineyen', no doubt that
it is a complex master piece....so need more time for my brain to digest...
But i am very much impressed on 'Poovar Senni Mannan', the reason being the hummings and the chorus
has completely winded me to a unknown place, i felt as if i am stepping to a place somewhere
near to the vicinity of Lord Shiva. No exagerration...its is just a true feeling....the background symphony,
the hummings, the vocals has put the impact that the listeners are slowly nearing to Lord's Dharshan something
similar to Tirupathi Lord Balaji's Dharhsan...and the music seems to float in the air coming from that place....

one more thing.....some of the reviews say that the music is not something new and
gives the feeling of already heard music of Raja. Though this seems to be true, i don't see
Raja Sir using any of his existing song completely here unlike other MDs who use their full length cine songs in such albums.
Raja has taken the music from his own cupboard and that too from his own creation.
The similarity is only for few seconds and very naturally it deviates after that to
a totally different pattern.
So guys don't think too much abt these things :P

all other songs are simply great and must thank Raja Sir and all the people who have put their unrepayable efforts
in giving new birth to this monumental piece in 21st Century!!

njv
5th July 2005, 07:17 PM
One more review @

Two things

1. Lot of people expected Thiruvasakam to be something like "Skantha Shashti Kavasam" or "Subrabatham" - For them its a disappointment

2. Lot of people find similarities in his earlier tunes - probably true, but the composition and orchestraization is beyond TFM

I am 100% sure that IR achieved wanted he to achieve - to reach youth. I dont think any youth now a days will sing "segu guna segu guna segu guna segana" but they are singing "kothumbi". I know two youth (19 telugu guy and 23 tamil guy) both listening to Thiruvasakam in "loop" and thats more than enough for IR.

If someone didnt get the Symphony / Oratorio in these songs, but could only see IR's 80's songs, then its simply, IRs 80s songs have Symphonic form in it.

Arjuna
5th July 2005, 08:43 PM
I think what IR has done to my religion is amazing..I now know a bit of thiruvasagam and I should thank him for that..Kothumbi song rocks!!!!

Wuld luv to see my ARR composing for such things..but I am not sure whether he wuld take up a project that is religion based..

crvenky
5th July 2005, 09:06 PM
Gopiharan,
I echo your sentiments and experience on 'near God' vision. If you hear Namachivaya vazhga chorus in the middle (around 6:00) of Polla vinayen track (especially while listening during early mornings) you will experience as if you are in Himalayas entering the abode of Shiva. You can also experience visuals like the opening sequence in Thiruvilayadal - Lord Shiva accompanied by Devas, Nandi, etc.

TISK
5th July 2005, 09:59 PM
Dear all,
With overwhelming feeling of gratitude and pride I am writing this!
20 months ago, when I made an appeal in this forum for TiS[thuscalled then!], I did it with confidence in my mind that our people here will hear the good cause and will help for sure.
Despite a few of us rediculing this project, most of you stood by us and encouraged with your words and dollars and loans at every crucial stage without which this project would not have been completed. For this, we, in USa , can definitely raise our collars that we accomplished this which otherwise would have just stayed as Maestro's brainchild only. We all can proudly say this to our children and grandchilden that we played our part in this noble task!
I thank each and every one of you from the bottom of my heart for making this happen and now, making this into the 'Greatest album' ever, despite the limitations we face of proper advertisement, distribution and promos.
Still, you are turning this album into a successful venture by word of mouth only and all your efforts and concerns for not getting this diluted by vested websites is gatefully acknowledged.
Now, I have this one more request! Please do not make copies for your friends and family. Encourage them to buy only the original CD from us. Visit www.tis-usa.com for updates. Write to us in tisusa@gmail.com. Last but not the least, having heard this wonderful album, please make this as your "gift idea for the ret of the year for any occasion" by buying a few more copies for the purpose.
Once again, a BIG thanks to all of you! Your continued inputs and co-operation is highly appreciated.
YIA!!
anbudan,
Dr.Sankarkumar

vijayr
5th July 2005, 10:25 PM
TISK, I hope your efforts are better acknowledged aside from the posts here. There must be a mention somewhere of the TIS-USA team in the credits.

Regarding TIS sales, so far Tamil population in India and US
seem to have constituted the bulk of the customer base.
Are there any plans to take it further beyond TN in india and beyond US to other continents? I hope that more in Europe(Austria, Germany, Italy etc.) get to hear this. After all that was one of the purposes of TIS, to present our spiritual work to the European audience in their format. They are the WCM gurus. Their attention to this work is needed.

sloshed
5th July 2005, 11:22 PM
i am still to get my copy .. anywayz having listened to the samples.. and the reviews here I am sure IR has done a stupendous job... great job...

congrats to the people who have sweated for this dream project ... I am sure your names will be carved in the history ....

Digression :

For the last several days .. there have been cries over illegal hosting of mp3 files over the internet.. people have written to the concerned folks to stop hosting mp3 files to avoid drop in sales. It just made me think .. when it comes to 'self' we talk about public money and stuff... how about if we continue the same attitude towards other albums as well.. have a policy not to download any songs from the net.. after all a producer is a human too .. he invests all his money in a project and we all download songs.. ALL includes me too.. So may the people invovled passionately in trying to stop mp3 downloads.. take up this cause as well.. do not post mp3 files period..!!!

Thanks

jeera
5th July 2005, 11:35 PM
TFM admin

One big favor from you guys. Is there anyway, we could pull up all the reviews on TBI (TIS) into the top page of this thread. This would serve as a reference and go a long way in terms of promoting this great endeavor to people who still don't know about this.

I am sorry I am not sauve enough to know how to do it if it can be done easily. Anybody's help in this regard would be greatly appreciated.

app_engine
6th July 2005, 12:18 AM
http://srikanthd.blogspot.com/2005/07/classical-adventure.html

`A classical adventure' calls Srikanth...(veteran Df'er / Composer)

p
6th July 2005, 01:25 AM
http://www.domesticatedonion.net/blog/?item=545

TISK
6th July 2005, 02:21 AM
Could any of you active 'Blog searchers' collect all these reviews and send to tisusa@gmail.com please? 'app_engine? p?'
Thanks.
YIA!!

jeera
6th July 2005, 02:32 AM
Could any of you active 'Blog searchers' collect all these reviews and send to tisusa@gmail.com please? 'app_engine? p?'
Thanks.
YIA!!

This is in no way complete. But I did go back a few pages and did this.

=========================================
Bloggers on TBI:

http://srikanthd.blogspot.com/2005/07/classical-adventure.html
http://www.mouthshut.com/review/Thiruvasakam_-_Illayaraja-77462-1.html

News coverage:

http://www.hindustantimes.com/news/181_1416149,00110005.htm
http://www.newindpress.com/NewsItems.asp?ID=IE420050702001622&Topic=0&Title=Features%20-%20People%20&%20Lifestyle&Page=4
http://www.dailythanthi.com/article.asp?NewsID=193552&disdate=7/1/2005
http://www.hindu.com/2005/07/01/stories/2005070114131500.htm
http://newstodaynet.com/01jul/rf2.htm
http://www.dinamalar.com/2005july01/imp55.asp
http://asia.news.yahoo.com/050629/ap/d8b17v3o0.html
http://www.hindu.com/2005/06/29/stories/2005062907960100.htm
http://www.indiaglitz.com/channels/tamil/gallery/events/7635.html
http://dinakaran.com/daily/2005/Jul/01/others/topstory4.html

Picture Gallries of functions
http://www.indiaglitz.com/channels/tamil/gallery/Events/7696.html

Thiruvasagams Tranlation in English by Rev. G.U.Pope

http://www.shaivam.org/siddhanta/thivapop.htm

rajasaranam
6th July 2005, 05:01 AM
Vijayr,

Romba naala neenga kaettuttu iruntha 'Ananda Vikatan' -Sujatha article
http://desikann.blogspot.com/2005/06/blog-post_20.html

sats
6th July 2005, 05:47 AM
Just today i got the CD from TIS -USA. In the second song "Polla vinaiyen" the 2 mins from 5:30 - 7:30 is sheer bliss. Just for this 2 mins Sujatha sonnadhu madhiri One crore tharalam. Its like flying to Kailash and seeing Shiva . Cant explain more. This piece moves you to tears.

Karthi
6th July 2005, 08:48 AM
Does it touch your heart the way it should?

I can't sit and do any analysis of the orchestration or the complexity or the simplicity of the music becos I don't know all that. It must simply move my heart without me making any effort. Does it have that quality?

In that case, I will give it a shot.

TISK
6th July 2005, 10:15 AM
'Karthi' said it right!
Do not try to analyze this 'Classical cross-over' by compring it with any movie songs, however great they may be1
Just sit back and merge and melt in the musical journey IIR is taking us with his touch.
As said ealier, first read the song book and try to understand the theme of that particular song andd then listen to the CD.
That way, you will get a richer experience.
This is sort of meditation.
When you meditate, initially all sorts of thoughts will come to disturb your concentration.
Just ignore them and be one with the music.
YIA!!

[BUY original CD only!]

jaiganes
6th July 2005, 10:16 AM
Dear Arjuna!
ARR showed glimpses of what he can do for a religious theme in Bose the forgotten hero . Listen to "Zikr" piece and you will be convinced.

Getting back to the topic, IR and ARR can come together for setting to tune a sufi saint's songs who is hailed as one of the 18 siddhars in Thamizh Nadu.

tmrrmt
6th July 2005, 10:38 AM
In the US, are TiS CDs available in big music stores like that of Barnes and Noble outlets, or any of those mega sized music outlets under the section world music/classical music ?

Only that way, can we hope to grab the attention of people in the West

besides, does anyone even have the remotest contacts with Mr.Philip Glass, another creative composer - perhaps, we can approach him to do an indepth review of TiS - on my part, I have already gifted TiS CDs to several of my foreign friends - but that is not enough - we need to make the release of TiS felt across the globe - how are we going to do it ?

raja_fan
6th July 2005, 01:09 PM
TISK,

I am feeling GUILTY for not donating a single rupee for this great cause, inspite of being a ardent IR fan . :cry:

NOW, I want to donate atleast a simple amount that suits my ability.
PLEASE let me know the address to which I should send the cheque / DD.

sureshmehcnit
6th July 2005, 03:21 PM
Review Rewritten

This time a Review (Experiences) only on the Song "Polla Vinayaen"

Smile
Suresh

jeeves
6th July 2005, 04:03 PM
TISK,

I am feeling GUILTY for not donating a single rupee for this great cause, inspite of being a ardent IR fan . :cry:

NOW, I want to donate atleast a simple amount that suits my ability.
PLEASE let me know the address to which I should send the cheque / DD.

raja_fan
Don't feel bad. You can contribute by buying CD's.

Shankar
6th July 2005, 04:55 PM
A good heartfelt review...Good one suresh

irfansong
6th July 2005, 05:00 PM
Hi Suresh,

Before hearing TIS, I read your first review. So, I didn't expect much about Polla vinayaen. That night when I heard it for the first time, I felt that Suresh's comments are not up to the mark and thought of replying to you. As you did, I heard it in many circumstances and it took me to the peak of my ecstasy and I feel so great after reading your comments. I felt all the experiences that you had mentioned. It was great.

Hail Hail... IR Hail... Fr. Jegath Hail

polla vinayaen....!

How can I reach for something Holy.

anbudan
nanban

irfansong
6th July 2005, 05:07 PM
Hi Friends,

Still the Album has not got enough publicity. I think only HCIRFs know much about the pains taken to bring this album out. Still it hasn't done much business in Bangalore. Many guys (Even tamilians settled in Bangalore) are not aware of this album. Will Tamil Maiyam people arrange for a full page publicity in all the dailies of Karnataka?

TV ads will also help boosting the business still more.

Dr. Shankar & Fr. Jegath should look into it. Publicity part needs to be scooted still.

Come on guys!!!! What about Andhra & Kerala?

One of the newspapers of Bangalore quoted that this is the first symphony ever getting released in India.

This is not at all highlighted anywhere. Just look into it. Publicity part needs to be fine tuned.

irfan

balaji
6th July 2005, 05:46 PM
Received the CD yesterday. Listened 4 times last night!
Each one is a gem.

'Puttril vazh aravum' is on my lips and am trying to memorize the lyrics. (the starting music resembles a filmi song, not sure which one).

Thanks to IR and the whole team for creating this wonder.

IMHO, IR singing all the songs (except one) is the only sore point as I had always opined. In spite of him doing it very well, it would have sounded if few more voices had been roped in..

Bala

irfansong
6th July 2005, 05:46 PM
Hi Guys,

Our Album is not listed in Ebay or Bestbuy's sites. Please check that out.

Can anything be done about this?

irfan

Shankar
6th July 2005, 05:58 PM
balaji,
No other singer cud've done justice to the songs...Raja bowls us over by the way he emotes while singing, and i totally ignored the shortcomings (if any) in the voice.

The spirit of his rendition has taken the songs to a different plane...Anyway, the comments above are subjective, and we can go on arguing about it.

One thing everyone would unanimously agree is that this is a seminal work, which would take Indian music into totally new direction.

njv
6th July 2005, 06:27 PM
Review Rewritten

This time a Review (Experiences) only on the Song "Polla Vinayaen"

Smile
Suresh

Suresh

I have two segments from Polla Vinayaen (I will send you the start and end timings later today) that I want you to review/give me feedback. You have dont that little in your second review,but since I dont have any music knowledge (I used to think I have some knowledge, since I am from Kumbakonam and listened to all sorts of artists performing in Thiruvaiyar, Thiruvisainalloor, Kumbakonam music festivals etc, but now with TIS my knowledge of music is -infinity), if you give me something to relate this music to a common man's term that would be wonderful. For now, I treat this music just like the way you mentioned, "beyond audible range".

These two segments is something that I am dieing to hear for every breath. This didnt made me cry (like all other mentioned including you), but made me wanna die. It is killing me.

njv
6th July 2005, 07:04 PM
Hi Guys,

Our Album is not listed in Ebay or Bestbuy's sites. Please check that out.

Can anything be done about this?

irfan
irfansong

BestBuy wont pay that easily. they will make you sweat and cry before paying you. So its not worth it.

njv
6th July 2005, 07:20 PM
In the US, are TiS CDs available in big music stores like that of Barnes and Noble outlets, or any of those mega sized music outlets under the section world music/classical music ?

Only that way, can we hope to grab the attention of people in the West

besides, does anyone even have the remotest contacts with Mr.Philip Glass, another creative composer - perhaps, we can approach him to do an indepth review of TiS - on my part, I have already gifted TiS CDs to several of my foreign friends - but that is not enough - we need to make the release of TiS felt across the globe - how are we going to do it ?

Not really. From what I know, these folks wont pay that easily and its not worth it. We need to find other ways to popularize this music. I will talk to TISK about this.

uv
6th July 2005, 07:48 PM
TIS team and others
is there way we can get Rediff.com focus on this excellent work,
they seem to write about everything under the sun top 5 tamil heroines, to a tamil heros betrothel why cant they write about this ?!

njv
6th July 2005, 08:00 PM
TISK

I left you message and left message to Vijay also. Also, I need you to prepare a letter that talks about

1. TIS
2. Loans by TamilMaiyam
3. CD Price in USA and India
4. Request to not bring the product from India and spread in USA

I need this urgently. If we dont act in timely manner, you will see the TIS-CD from India in USA market in next 48 hours, retailing for $5 to $8. Please this is urgent.

Thanks
njv

Note: I didnt send PM, because sometme you may not read PM.

kr
6th July 2005, 08:16 PM
TISK, Thanks for getting the CDs to me by yeatserday.

I have listened three times since last evening.

It is divine. It is brilliant.

I did not want to get off the car to go my office. It is that captivating.

When I went to sleep yesterday, I thought Putril Aravum was the greatest song. But every time I woke up last night and through out this morning, "Polla Vinayen" has been playing repeatedly in my mind. I heard it again this morning. What a brilliant composition!

I do not have the knowledge to review the album. I just loved the intertwingling of the tamil and english choir in the Polla Vinayen song right near the end starting with "easan". It is just mindblowing. Everyone of the composition is just unbelievable. Dont forget to listen to choir in real low voices ending the first song.
I cant stop talking about each and everyone of the songs.

The other thing that amazed me about IR as I was listening last night was how perfect the composition sounded with the mixing of the vocies rendering the song witgh the background orchestration and with the two different choirs - in English and Tamil. It told me what vision and command IR should have had of the whole thing to compose and record the different aspects in different places.

The other things I enjoyed. The sound recording is just amazing. The mixing was perfect. The album is great to hear on iPod.

The other thing is the CD design with outer casing. It was classy.

Great work, Team

TISK
6th July 2005, 08:16 PM
Dear Raja_fan,
You may send your donations to TIS FOUNDATION, 102, Copper green St, Cary, NC 27513.
Or, as 'jeeves' suggested, you can buy CD's fo the worth of your donation and promote it among your people.
I would prefer you send the check directly, in that case, to avoid Paypal taking a commission and also you avoid the S/H charges.
Thanks.

YIA!!

kr
6th July 2005, 08:30 PM
From Ilayaraaja Fans Group Mailing:

I am practicing CA in Chennai and also one among the
auditors of LandMark and Music world.I have been told that both these
two big stores have declared that TIS is a big hit.They have so far
sold something 25,000 CD.And I am getting the news that day by day
people are coming asking for the CD but unfortunately all these
stores are running short of stocks.And they have incresed the
price,means magin commission by Welgate co., has been reduced.

If anything can be done for stock availabilty,that could further
poost our sales.Can Mr Vijay talk to Welgate and do somthing about
this.

I have so far heard 100 times the TIS tracks.I will discuss
in person at meeting the rags involved in this TIS.The only thing
I can say that the entire world should be proud of our master.Words
can't be expressed our musical feelings.

I just want to convey one message,our group need to honour the Tamil
Maiyam especially father who has done a mar'lous job.Because
of his efforts only we are able to hear the master's wonderfull
compositions.

-Guru

sats
6th July 2005, 08:31 PM
KR

i absolutely concur with your opinion, the songs just keep running on my mind again and again. Everytime i think of the chants "Namachivaya Vazhga" i get goose bumps. When raja sings "Yegan Anegan" the heart just melts .

Apart from Music there are few good things that has come out of this,

Iam more interested in reading the whole of Thiruvasagam.

Next time when i visit shiva temple with my 2 yr old daughter it would be easy for me to tell about Manika vasagar quoting the symphony to make her understand. I would look at Manikka Vasagar with more respect from now on having tasted a part of his divine work. Thanks to IR for doing it.

crvenky
6th July 2005, 08:49 PM
kr,
I fully concur with your views. See how seamlessly he has blended the recordings done in Budapest (orch), India (Tamil voices) and New York (English voices). How much planning must have gone into writing the score and the choir placements perfectly. It gives me goosepumps just thinking about Maestro's prowess.

Me too felt great hearing it on iPod, the experience is greater than hearing it on music system. Hearing it on late night / early morning is an experience in itself.

venkiks
6th July 2005, 08:58 PM
I'd recommend the organisers here to suggest NPR a program on TiS.

Here is the link http://www.npr.org/about/pitch/

Here is the link for the story submission form http://www.npr.org/about/pitch/story.html .

We can also try contact other public broadcasting orgs like BBC, PRI etc.

-Venki

gopiharan
6th July 2005, 09:02 PM
any idea when are the audio cassetes and collector edition getting released?

MusicIsLife
6th July 2005, 09:29 PM
Guys,
I dont know what to say, but in this forum, i have seen so many blatant comments, but the truth is TIS is out, and it is gr8.. so where r all these people going to rub their nose or paint their faces.

I am not saying you should not doubt, but atleast could refrained from the harsh languages and people who genuinely belived in this project.

To that effect, I have known Sankar through my friends, he actively did promote the IR's initiative with so much heart. People could have written for questions to him, instead, bashed the entire team promoting in a public forum which was unwarranted and un called for.

Any ways, my TIS CD is getting much air time in my personal music system than ne thing else.

After TIS things that will be in the forefront
1. music
2. tamil
3. IR's commitment
4. Team work

Thanks a lot team for seeing fruits of this magnificient venture

PS: People can read into my words and totally misinterpret my intentions.. but I dont really care.

app_engine
6th July 2005, 09:51 PM
http://www.thehindubusinessline.com/2005/06/27/stories/2005062700991400.htm

Question : Will there be an update when the 'minimum target' (of loan closure) is reached? (Just for the sake of peace of mind for passionate DF'ers:-))

TISK
6th July 2005, 10:14 PM
DEAR NJV,
Thanks for bringing itup. I am contacting Fr. right now to call you. May be you can discuss this with him.I forgot my cell phone this morning. Hence the difficulty of reaching me by you, perhaps.
What to do? We have been facing all kinds of odds for the last 20 months and now that this album has clicked, unscropulous people show their nasty tendencies.
We shall overcome this too.
yellaam iRaivan aruL!
Thanks a lot for your continued help!

Now, let me request all fans who read this to spread this message advising everyone to boycott any other form of Cd other than from www.Tis-usa.com site. If we all do this unitedly, we can make this happen! The least we can do for IIR! Please send out mails, post everywhere. Thanks.
YIA!!

njv
6th July 2005, 10:43 PM
TISK

I am meeting father today. He is in NJ and there is a press meet and one of my press "nanbar" invited me also. So I will discuss with him as well.

Please see PM

Thanks
NJV

vijayr
6th July 2005, 10:49 PM
njv, pl. ask him about publicity/sales/distribution in Europe and countries in other continents

TISK
6th July 2005, 10:55 PM
A CORRECTION TO MY EARLIER MESSAGE!!

DVDONLINE has been co-operating with us selflessly since the release and the boycott list does not include them!!

I will also be posting other outlets in other states who wish to work with us to promote this, in due course!
Thanks.
YIA!!

app_engine
7th July 2005, 12:09 AM
http://216.65.197.170/kumudam/060705/pg5.php

idhaippadinga modhalla...`ARR speaks: IR dhEsiya soththu':-)

baroque
7th July 2005, 12:42 AM
hello, why do we care what ARR has to say about our Ilayaraaja??? My love Ilayaraaja, God of Music is beoynd all these people's comprehension!! okvaa, love, vinatha

app_engine
7th July 2005, 01:44 AM
Not having proper appetite for a while?
...kObam vandhAl pasi varum...
...idhaippadinga adhukku:
http://blogontheweb.com/navin/archive/2005/07/02/76233.aspx

Arjuna
7th July 2005, 01:51 AM
baroque - mind what u say!! just a warning!

baroque
7th July 2005, 02:14 AM
ok! ok! warning yellam thevayillai!! Bhayamaayerukku!! nejamma! yedho raaja respect, TIS perumaila sollitten, sorry about that!!
I like to read about technical merits,their analysis of this great work TIS by raaja. Instead of reading somebody's praises about Ilayaraaja this point, now the TIS is out!! Adhudhaan naan solliyerukkanum. anyway ARR fans sorry about that, if ARR enlighten us with his understanding of TIS, that would be fantastic!! Greatly appreciated,valued!!
app_engine, thanks for the link, will read, please save me from further trouble!! Raaja enthuley solliten okvaa! love, vinu.

Arjuna
7th July 2005, 02:17 AM
baroque - no worries..:)..IR has done a fantastic job..and we also appreciate it...and our thalai ARR has also appreciated it :)..

TISK
7th July 2005, 02:19 AM
I beg you not to turn this one into one of those war threads, please!
Let us have some sanity and let us not add more 'pollaa vinai'into our account!

BTW, I am surprised to note that none of you have written anything about that beautiful song book which is a great tool in understanding this CD and which is hand-written by IIR!!

baroque
7th July 2005, 02:30 AM
TISK, Don't worry, this will not become war thread!! Ever since our TIS is out, I am a proud peacock!! I am out of control with pride and joy!!
Thanks Arjuna for the kind response!! Now I have you in my side with understanding, peace appaada!!
This is Ilayaraaja's moment, TIS is our pride and joy!!! Now let me have my lunch, get on with my day!!

njv
7th July 2005, 02:37 AM
Arjuna

Thanks a lot for providing a positive feedback. TIS is a tool for us to reach/see/praise god and thats it. Nothing else.

All IR fans,

ARR is the current national symbol for indian film music. Any word coming from him is followed by his fellow fans, just the way we follow IR words or few others follow Rajni/Kamal words or the way few people still follows what MGR says in the old movies... So Lets appreciate that. Also, ARR could have simple said "I am busy" and no one will even mistake him, but he gave up all his busy schedule and attended the meeting, sitting with all the folks over there, just to honor IR. From now on, even if you wanna have IR-ARR war, please keep it to discuss the merit/demerit of the songs and not the individual.

I dont know if you guys noticed the pic of IR-ARR together. They have been discussing all along very closely, sometime, IR having his hand near ARR's ear and the humbleness in ARR while listening. This is a sight that few music lovers died to see for quite a while. I am sure this will bring a new change and lets hope that we are all in for new treat from ARR-IR combo.

As far as the other blogger goes,,,.... hmm... they have free space and their employer paying them, so they would do anything. So ignore them. TOTALLY.

baroque
7th July 2005, 02:48 AM
njv, really, sorry I never been into ARR vs IR war, Naan andha maadhiry person kedaiyaadhu, okvaa!!
TISK, I am really sorry!! You have put so much hard work, this is unnecessary!! I truly regret!!
Lets move on, come on!!! Love, Vinatha!!

Jacky
7th July 2005, 03:29 AM
Poovar senni mannan - loved the mystical touches which depicts Lord Shiva.

Pola vinaye - 20 mins of serenity! Especially when IR and his crew sing "Namashivaya vazhga nathan thal vazhga" ... it is just blissful!

p
7th July 2005, 04:17 AM
Thiruvasagam is simply scintillating: rasikas
The music has kindled people's interest in Tamil literature The energy rises with the drums, violins and chorus traversing from the lower to the higher octaves that has a heightened effect when listened to in the total silence of a stereo surround.
http://www.hindu.com/2005/07/07/stories/2005070706310200.htm

p
7th July 2005, 04:19 AM

a comment on the above blog (text in unicode)

Ravishankar said...

பொருளாதாரக் காரணங்களால் தான் இந்த முயற்சி தாமதமானது என அனைவரும் அறிவர். 13 நாட்களில் இசைக்குறிப்பு எழுதி முடித்ததாக அவரே சொல்லியுள்ளார். அதனால் இவ்வளவு நாள் இசையமைத்தது ஆறே ஆறு பாடல்களுக்குத் தானா என்று கேட்பது சரியாகாது.
சிவப் புராண வரிகளுக்கு மேலும் கீழும் மாற்றி மாற்றி ( மெட்டமைதி கருதி) இசையமைத்துள்ளார். இது ஏற்புடையதாகத் தோன்ற வில்லை. இலக்கிய அறிமுகம் இல்லாதோர் உண்மையிலேயே திருவாசகமும் இப்படித் தான் எழுதப் பட்டிருக்கும் என நினைத்துக் கொள்ள வாய்ப்புண்டு. அப்புறம் கடைசி பாடலில் அவர் பேசியிருப்பதைத் தவிர்த்திருக்கலாம்.ஒரு வேளை டி.வி.டி வாங்காத மக்களுக்கு இந்த படைப்பாக்கத்தைப் பற்றி சிறு அறிமுகம் தர எண்ணியிருக்கலாம். அந்த பாடலின் முடிவும் திருவாசகம் அல்லாத வரிகளுடன் முடிவதை கவனிக்க வேண்டும்.(வாதவூரடிகள் வாழ்க..). முடிக்கிற படியே ஆரம்பிக்கவும் அவர் எண்ணியிருக்கலாம். ஆனால் அதற்காக அவரை கன்னா பின்னா வென்று விமர்சிக்கத் தேவையில்லை. ஒருவருடைய படைப்பில் எதையும் செய்யும் உரிமை கலைஞனுக்கு உண்டு.

இசை விமர்சனங்களத் தாண்டி, இளையராஜாவின் இந்த முயற்சி திருவாசகத்தைப் பற்றிய விழிப்புணர்வை ஏற்படுத்தும் என்ற நம்பிக்கை இருக்கிறது. பழந்தமிழ் இலக்கியத்தை வருங்கால சந்ததிக்கு அறிமுகப்படுத்த வேண்டும் என்ற அவருடைய நோக்கம் நிச்சயம் நிறைவேறும். பாடல்களின் முழு உள் அர்த்தம் தெரியாமல் இந்த பாடல்களை ரசிக்க சிரமப்பட்டேன். தேடிப்பிடித்ததில், தமிழ் இணையப் பல்கலைக்கழகத்தில் பொழிப்புரை, விளக்கவுரை தந்திருந்தார்கள். அங்குள்ள நூலகத்தில் மின்னஞ்சல் முகவரி தந்து புத்தகங்களைப் படிக்கலாம். (இதே தளத்தில் கோயில்களில் ஓதப்படுவது போல திருவாசகத்தை வாசிக்கும் ஒலிக் கோப்பும் இருக்கிறது. அதைக் கேட்டு விட்டு மீண்டும் இளைய ராஜாவைக் கேட்கும் போது தான் அவர் எவ்வளவு எளிமையாக இனிமையாக குழந்தைகளும் எளிதில் பாடும் படி இசைஅமைத்திருக்கிறார் என உணர முடியும்)படித்த பின் உண்மையிலேயே நெகிழ்ச்சியாக இருந்தது. பள்ளி செல்லும் வயதில் சில தமிழ் செய்யுள் மனனப் பாடல்களில் திருவாசகமும் இருந்தது என்றாலும், ஏதோ ஒப்பேற்றுவதற்காகத் தான் அப்பொழுது படித்தது. விவரம் தெரிந்து நல்ல இசையுடன் கேட்கும் பொழுது நன்றாக இருக்கிறது.

இந்த இசைத் தொகுப்பு பிரபலமாகும் பட்சத்தில் பின் வருவன் நிகழும் என எதிர்பார்க்கலாம்:

கோயில்களில் வெற்று இயந்திர மணியோசைக்குப் பதில் இந்த இசைத் தொகுப்பு ஒலியேற்றப்படும்.
ரண்டக்க ரண்டக்க பாடும் குழந்தைகள் நமச்சிவாயம் வாழ்கவும் விரும்பிப் பாடுவார்கள்.
கண்டிப்பாகப் பள்ளிக்கூடத் தமிழ் ஐயாக்கள் இந்த மெட்டுகளை மாணவர்களுக்குப் பரப்புவார்கள்.

மேற்கண்டவாறு நடந்தால் சந்தோஷம் தான். ஒரு குறுந்தட்டை வாங்கி என் அக்கா பையனுக்குத் தரவுள்ளேன்.(கொக்குப் பற பற என மழலை மொழியில் பாடிக் கொண்டிருக்கிறான்)

எல்லாரும் பொழிப்புரையைப் படிக்க உதவியாக இருக்கும் விதத்தில் பின் வரும் தகவல் உதவியாக இருக்கும் என நம்புகிறேன். வலைதள முகவரி http://www.tamilvu.org/coresite/html/cwhomepg.htm ல் உள்ள நூலகம்

இசைத் தொகுப்பில் உள்ள பாடல்- திருவாசகத் தொகுப்பில் இடம் பெறும் தலைப்பு

1.பூவார் சென்னி மன்னன் - 45. யாத்திரைப் பத்து

2. பொல்லா வினையேன் - 1. சிவ புராணம்

3. பூவேறு கோனும் - 10. திருக்கோத்தும்பி

4. உம்பர்கட்கு அரசே - 37. பிடித்தப் பத்து

5. முத்து நல் தாமம் - 9. திருப்பொன் சுண்ணம்

6. புற்றில வாழ் - 35. அச்சப் பத்து

baroque
7th July 2005, 04:23 AM
[tscii:b736cfd83e]I saw people really moved on... appadaa,thanks!!
Hello friends(particularly Arjuna, ARR fans,thanks, thanks!!!),
I am dedicating ‘Maitrim Bhajata....’ ragamalika set in Adi tala, composer Sri.Chandrasekarendra Saraswati Swami of Kanchi Kamakoti Peetam, soulful rendering by M.S.S for all of us. Enjoy the peace and bliss, she invokes with her very devoted singing!! Please listen from the Immortal Legends-M.S.S-vol 1 (SaReGaMa)!! Thanks for accepting!! Now I truly move on... TIS is too important for me!! Lets enjoy the spiritual feast from Shri.Ilayaraaja!! Great Day! Love, vinatha.

[/tscii:b736cfd83e]

sats
7th July 2005, 05:51 AM
I beg you not to turn this one into one of those war threads, please!
Let us have some sanity and let us not add more 'pollaa vinai'into our account!

BTW, I am surprised to note that none of you have written anything about that beautiful song book which is a great tool in understanding this CD and which is hand-written by IIR!!

TISK

The booklet was great, apdiye andha verses meaningum include pannirundha rombo rombo nalla irukum. Now most of us are searching google to find the meaning of those verses. :)

TISK
7th July 2005, 07:52 AM
15 months ago, i tried to do that[meaning for the verses] here in this forum which was ridiculed by some of friends on the pretext that i am trying to dodge the issue!

May be, i will start here for the benefit of our friends, if it is ok with you all!

By the way, i was told that the song book will contain the English transliteration and meaning also but it seems due to some unavoidable time constraints, it was not included.
Let me see if they can add it in the Premium package.
I will speak to TM tonite and will let you know.

In fact, i wanted to write about the US release function at dallas last wkend also, but due to time constraints, am unable to do so.
Will write soon. Or one of my friends will post it here.

YIA!!

TISK
7th July 2005, 09:34 AM
"ரண்டக்க ரண்டக்க பாடும் குழந்தைகள் நமச்சிவாயம் வாழ்கவும் விரும்பிப் பாடுவார்கள்."

I literally cried when I read the above words!
Nam kanavu nanavaanadhu!
YIA!

Arjuna
7th July 2005, 11:06 AM
I am in a dilemma!! I am so immersed in the Kothumbi song and its always in my mind..and the dilemma is that even when I see a super figure on the streets of London..I am playing the Kothumbi song in the back of mind and I am unable to stop!! :(..Gulity feeling :((

Arjuna
7th July 2005, 11:10 AM
It would have been better if they give the translations for the songs in the CD!!

One more question: Is it not possible to create a symphony in India? From what I see, its 100 violinists playing in unison..cant we do that in India..Just a thought?

Arjuna
7th July 2005, 11:13 AM
TISK, From my knowledge, I think it would be great, if someone could arrange with Ayngharan to distribute the CDs here in London..since buying CDs online would be a uphill task for some common tamil ppl here in London..

rooky
7th July 2005, 11:36 AM
Writeups about this album in "The Hindu" does help in promoting the album in a big way, especially in Chennai.

Eagerly waiting for the official sale figures to appear in a magazine or a website

kamarajc
7th July 2005, 12:18 PM
Here are some of the "usual suspects". will have to check on them periodically over the next weeks:

www.tamilbeat.com
www.mohankumars.com
www.tamiltorrents.net

and the rest
http://www.geetham.net/topsites/

Friends....

Let us not try to promote piracy on this work which was not aimed commercially. I am equally tempted as you are, to go for piracy. But, if at any point you thought of giving an album a standing ovation with a stern NO to piracy, In my humble opinion - this is the album.

jaiganes
7th July 2005, 12:41 PM
Stephen Scwartz's interpretations are beautiful.

Particularly - "To this man so blind and base, you granted a glimpse of grace and oh oh oh" is so emotionally overpowering. We need to post in his forum congratulating him.

irfansong
7th July 2005, 01:58 PM
It would have been better if they give the translations for the songs in the CD!!

One more question: Is it not possible to create a symphony in India? From what I see, its 100 violinists playing in unison..cant we do that in India..Just a thought?

I agree with you, Arjuna. Even I had that thought. Like how Tamil maiyam sponsored TIS, if some non profit organizations come forward, raise funds and construct a good theatre for composing symphonies, Indian Music Industry will have its great reputation. We have great musicians like IR, ARR, Naushad, MSV etc. We should provide stages for them to make India a musicallly great country forever.

Then, while hearing the 'Polla vinayaen' yesterday, I had a different feeling. While I heard the ' Vedangal aiyaa ena ongi...', it brought before my eyes the scene from ' The passion of the Christ' when the Jews beat him. I just imagined how it would be if this part of the music replaces the BGM of that particular scene. It was wonderfull.

I got another idea also. If some great film makers like Maniratnam, PC Shriram etc come forward to create a visual for TIS, it would be great. If this is shown in the theatres as a 1 hour movie, it would really be great. But the work should be very classical and that should not disturb the beauty of the project anyways.

Just a thought..... Even today, many of my tamil friends in Bangalore say that they dont know about TIS and its reputation. The publicity is still not properly done in Karnataka. Will they take steps to improve the publicity in Karnataka? :roll: :shock: :(

crvenky
7th July 2005, 02:58 PM
irfansong,
I too felt in several places like hearing to Passion / Requiem.

Osho
7th July 2005, 03:57 PM
I have been asking for a video promo. It would do a great deal in promoting the album to a wider audience, and there by boosting the album sales. TISK, Is there a idea to do a video album?.

It would be prudent to release a video in the initial stages rather than at the later stages.

Shankar
7th July 2005, 03:59 PM
Someone had mentioned about a feature in rediff. I have written to Prem Panicker (who's predominantly a sport journalist, but has occasionally written things on music). His articles are read by quite a few people, south, north & NR Indians alike... I've requested him to review the album, and if he's interested, i said i will send across a copy of TBI. He hasn't responded yet to my mail.

Shankar
7th July 2005, 04:04 PM
TISK,
Were any efforts taken to hand over the CD to the CM of TN ?
If she's convinced, we can listen to TBI in temples in TN, as there are strict instructions to play devotional songs in the mornings & in the evenings for temples maintained by govt. Even if this were played once a week (given the volume of existing devotional albums), it would be worthwhile.

This way, many people who are not aware of the work/who cannot afford to buy the CD would listen to this great work...Obviously,, a good side effect would be the bulk order from Govt.

jagannn
7th July 2005, 05:02 PM
Any Idea when the DVD is released .

TIS_AUSTIN
7th July 2005, 06:22 PM
[tscii:ca98c7b644]My Dear Fellow-Spell-bound-IR Fans,

My first post to this forum, and will be posting a few more in the
future. Many of you have already listened to TBI, and have mentioned
things like "1000V" and "1440V" shocks. Well, I am delighted to
share with you that I was ACTUALLY SITTING ON THE TRANSFORMER!! My
experience exceeded 50,000V. I happened to be part of the launch for
TBI in Dallas, volunteering to help with the sales. There was
another lucky volunteer, Sai Sivakumar, present too. Though Raaja
could not make it, it was released by Dr.Sankar Kumar and Father
Jegath Gasper. TBI apart, these people are phenomenal people, whose
blood and sweat for the last 2 years is what is pouring into your
ears in the form of TIS today.....I had the wonderful opportunity to
be part of the tail piece of this scintillating project.

The response in Dallas was phenomenal! Even before the launch, we
sold about 150 CDs. During the launch, Father, who is a very
effective orator, gave a very moving speech about TIS and Tamil
values. He was given a standing ovation. Dr.Sankar Kumar and Father
then released the CD in the presence of Mr. Socrates and Mr. Paul
Pandian from FETNA, the organizers of the whole Tamil convention.
After that, the first 10 min of the Category 5 hurricane "Polla
Vinayen" was played for the audience!! The effect was in one
word "__________"!! (Sorry, I couldn't think of a word even remotely
related to "Peraanandam" in English)….In addition to this, the sound
system in the auditorium was exemplary, and over that, they switched
off ALL the lights, and it was pitch black!! You can imagine the
effect it must have had on the audience. I was sitting about 1 ft
away from the speaker, and all of you can guess what went through my
mind as well. After that, predictably, there was a tremendous
response, and some people bought 6 to 10 each!! Unfortunately, due
to the weight limitations, Dr.Sankar Kumar was able to bring ONLY
400 CDs from NC. The 400 were sold out in a jiffy, and we got orders
for about another 500!

I have volunteered to distribute for the Austin/San Antonio area,
and folks around this area can contact me, Bala Beddhannan at 512-
423-0345 or Sai Sivakumar at 512-576-4271. Also, as Dr. mentioned in
an earlier post, folks can consider this as a gift item too, and get
more…..

DIGRESSION1: There was another program where a really old person had
his book release. Basically, he has written a book on Thiruvasagam
of Saint Manickavasagar, where he has BOTH translated AND
transliterated the 900 songs of saint Manickavasagar into English….I
shall try to obtain more details on this, and shall post to the
site. I think this book would be the perfect combination for the CD.

DIGRESSION2: The other cool side benefit to volunteering to this
effort was that there was a light music performance by the Lakshman
Shruti group from Chennai, conducted by MD Baradhwaj and Singer
Unnikrishnan. Singers Malathi Lakshman, Madhumita and Srilekha
Parthasarathy were also present. Since we ended up staying in the
same hotel, I was delighted to have breakfast with Baradhwaj and
Unnikrishnan! Coincidentally, Unnikrishnan has sung in Song No.5 on
TIS. He later came to our booth to help promote the CD. A very nice
gesture from him!

DIGRESSION3: The other interesting thing that happened at the Tamil
convention at Dallas was that Dr. received 5-6 calls from
the "Ammachi" Amritanandamayi group. This lady saint from Kerela
herself had heard of the TIS release, and wanted to see Raaja!! But
since Raaja could not make it to Dallas, I, Sai and Dr. ended up
going to meet her. Though I am not a fan of her, we ended up getting
her blessings for TIS at 3:45 a.m. I just thought this was really
weird, because normally she is supposed to be a very high profile
personality, and people throng to meet her to receive her blessings.
But because of TIS, she wanted to see us!! Anyway, it was
interesting to see a spiritual ending to this "60" Flags roller
coaster ride…..

Folks, I think I have written a humungous post as my first post, and
as I am writing this from my office, I need to stop before I get
fired!

I am probably sure that NOBODY would be reading this post anyway,
since everyone will be busy listening to TIS to get more high
voltage shocks. But if you have time, I am open for suggestions on
how to promote the CD better. The more we sell, the faster we can
get TIS out of debt, and the faster we will get to the next project.
Tell ALL of your friends, Indian/Western etc, about this album, and
ask them to consider this as a gift item. With enough funds, we can
get Raaja OUT of the Cine industry, and let him compose more of such
albums. This has been his wish for quite some time now, and let us
all strive to make this a reality.

A GAZILLION thanks to Dr.Sankar Kumar and Father Jegath Gasper for
this opportunity, and also for sharing the numerous little stories
about the making of the TIS album!!

Cheers
Bala & Sai
[/tscii:ca98c7b644]

njv
7th July 2005, 06:26 PM
Here are some of the "usual suspects". will have to check on them periodically over the next weeks:

www.tamilbeat.com
www.mohankumars.com
www.tamiltorrents.net

and the rest
http://www.geetham.net/topsites/

Friends....

Let us not try to promote piracy on this work which was not aimed commercially. I am equally tempted as you are, to go for piracy. But, if at any point you thought of giving an album a standing ovation with a stern NO to piracy, In my humble opinion - this is the album.

Mohankumars removed MP3 from their site. I ask you to support his gesture and donate to his website. This will be a lesson for other folks who uploaded MP3.

Also, if people downloaded music, thats fine, but be little understanding of what is all about this project and donate (even if it is 1 dollar) to TIS-USA (the details to send check is in tis-usa.com).

uv
7th July 2005, 09:27 PM
TIS-AUSTIN

Your post was nice to read till it DIGRESSION3:
Where I think you were not only disrespectful and also insensitive to Ammachi's followers.
She is one of the most respected Spritiual person in the world.
(check about the extraordinary service she is doing in India and abroad and check UN website)
I think some respect and humility will go a long way.
Afterall this whole album is about that and not promoting an individual ego, but post like this make me think otherwise
Merge your little ego self into the bigger self of Lord Shiva or whatever God you believe, the first step in that process will be to respect fellow human beings and show little bit humility.

God bless
UV

TIS_AUSTIN
7th July 2005, 09:42 PM
Dear UV,

I did not intend my Digression3 to be disrespectful at all, and sincerely apologise if it has offended anybody. I totally agree with you that a little respect and humility will go a long way.

Thanks

TISK
7th July 2005, 09:46 PM
Let me assure 'uv' that I am an ardent devotee of Mother Ammaachi and I have no words to describe the great blessing Ammachi bestowed upon me where she 'chose' me in USA to come to HER with the CD's for offering to HER! It is one of the fulfilling moments of my life and all my belief and words I had been constantly posting here that 'I am not worrying about the lack of recognition for our [TisUSA's] work here but am confident that it will be recognized at the 'approprite place', has been vindicated with 'AMMA's call that day and that too on that day of US release!
I will write more about this very soon as promised.
In the meantime, dont be too harsh on Bala. He was of great help and was one of the 3 who came with me at the CALL and hence SHE knows it well! Thanks. Let's move on with other good things.
YIA!

jeera
7th July 2005, 10:13 PM
Guys

After hearing to Polla vinayaen a few times, I wish APN was alive to make a music video of it. Only probably he could have done justice.

app_engine
7th July 2005, 10:14 PM
"I ask you to support his gesture and donate to his website."

njv sir,
avanga paNNaRudhu 100% piracy. adhukku edhukku sir donate paNNanum?

vara vara thirudan thirundhinA avanukku podhu janam `donation' kodukkaNum'ngaRa level'kku pOyittirukku ulagam:-(

TIS_AUSTIN
7th July 2005, 10:21 PM
In Polla Vinayen song , Just before rendering "Nama Sivaya Vazga ... Nadandhal Vazgha.." there is line " Omkaramai Nindra Meiya.... Om..." this line comes out with a big bang of violins.. drums and et.c, followed by the hymming of "Nama Sivaya Vazga ... Nadandhal Vazgha.." and joining with the chorus and Raja singing ... creates awesome atmosphere....

TIS_AUSTIN
7th July 2005, 10:27 PM
Folks, I am absolutely not qualified to post reviews on TIS QUALITY, but the "Polla Vinayen" song is just too much. I have reviewed the song in my own little way. The energy is just too powerful to handle, and as a result I am NOT able to listen to the song more than 4-5 times a day !! Did any of you feel the same way?? It is similar to meditation. I always feel a COMPLETE drain of energy after a 10-15 min meditation session.

Anyway, I have listed below the TIMES durations in all the places where I got the goose pimples....

SONG 2: POLLA VINAYEN

3:32
5:12
5:54
11:32
14:37
15:07
16:55
17:14
17:39
17:48
17:54
18:01
19:33

Note the increase in frequencies towards the end.....

Cheers
Bala.

Arjuna
7th July 2005, 10:52 PM
TISK -> Just for your information:

Ammachi stays in my aunty's house in london and my uncle is the president of the UK Friends of Amma association..She is indeed a great saint..

TISK
7th July 2005, 11:04 PM
I was blessed to know HER since 1980 and am a devotee and a great admirer of HER service activities, ever since.
More about this visit later!
I have all respects and adoration for HER and SHE knows it!
YIA!!

rajasaranam
7th July 2005, 11:19 PM
Dear please 'Ammachi' 'Ummachi' ellam vittuttu Thiruvasagathukku vaango :)

K
7th July 2005, 11:28 PM
Raja use to say about his film music what ever you heard is like appalam and oorugaai I can serve a full course meal, he made it true by composing "Tiruvasagam in symphonic Oratorio" appalam and oorugai are also present in the full meals,yes there are some shades of his old music in this. But the total output makes a person Amazed and puzzeld how these are possible, there are lot of things in this musical to analyze, discuss and appreciated, since I lisent it only once this much is what I can say :!: :!: :!: :!: :?: :?: :?:

uv
8th July 2005, 12:17 AM
Guys
TISAUSTIN thanks. No offense taken.
Lets move on.
Rajasaranam from your earlier response I sensed some little disappointment in you that its Rajas old 70s80s mixed with oratrio ?

I just got the CD yesterday thanks to Dr. Sankar Raman, who also promised to ship me the DVD later. I met Raja Sir for the first time in Hyderabad Airport in 1996, went to him shook his hands(what a soft hand) enquired about the symphony and other questions. He was kind and answered all my questions.

Coming back to TIS.
Being a spiritual person I listen to this album in a different way.
The music of symphony is all about harmonical movements.
Raja Sir music on this, is intricately woven as wave after wave
each phase has its appropriate pause and silence when required
as someone said in the Namashiva vazgha that chorus part is just awesome sending goose bimbles. It really pushed me in too deep spiritual mode.
I don't have words to describe this for now. The music just touches and imbibes into your soul, it will happen to anyone who is willing to listen to it with open a heart and mind. What we have here is an extraordinary peice of work that will be there for future generations to listen and learn upon there is no doubt about that. In fact in my personal book Raja Sir is there among the Mozarts and Beethoven.

The time signatures are so complex , I dont' know how many people would have understood that and sung it.

I will write my experiences later in my blog
Ganesh(UV)
(http://dganesh.blogspot.com)

rajasaranam
8th July 2005, 01:22 AM
Rajasaranam from your earlier response I sensed some little disappointment in you that its Rajas old 70s80s mixed with oratrio ?

UV,

Where in you got the idea that i was disappointed with TIS :?

This was my post

After repeated hearings.....

BTW anybody noticed the music which comes in 'polla vinayaen' at the fag end ' just before 'Easan adi potri...' I heard it in 'Kadhal kondaen' as BGM.....

I am very much enjoying these compostions as you do. its just that iam enjoying it in musical perspective while you people dwelve into spiritual persepective. i dont find anything wrong in your part since it sure did move me spriritually too. If this music is bound to move me into a spiritual realm who is a very strong atheist then i cant imagine what it is doing to you all.
P.S: My reference is totally on the song 'Polla vinayaen' while i believe the other five songs are great for film music compositions. I just imagine what would have been the case if IR had the facility of BSO right from 'Annakili' .... and iam sure that we will be having, thousands of songs that will stand for eons to come as great symphonic compositions, Not that it wont stand as it is of now :)

njv
8th July 2005, 02:23 AM
I am not a follower of any individual who claim to be the incarnation of god. Dont take it as a criticism/disrespect. The reason I am saying this is because I was just curious who this "Mother Ammaachi" was and I googled and found out the site. What inspired me is what "Mother Ammachi" said

"The greatest tragedy in life is not death; the greatest tragedy takes place when our talents and capabilities are underutilized and allowed to rust while we are living."

How true it is. Illayaraja is a classic example. Like someone pointed out here, IR should do atleast 1 such (TIS like) project every year. I cant believe there aren't that many sponser for TIS like project.

app_engine
8th July 2005, 02:30 AM
Any update on total sales figures so for?

uv
8th July 2005, 02:46 AM
Rajasaranam

OK may be I read it wrong!! :D
Its interesting our tast match atleast for this song,
I am also totally in love with this Polla Vinayen song.
I am not going write a review, but my experience with TIS.
I think Kamal was right Raja Sir should have done this in 80s only.
Not that it is lat now or anthying, we could have have more of this ;)

Rajasaranam ellavumaagi nindra kadavul need not be confined to any form, gender or place since the One in fact doesnt confine to anything
so we can feel or perecive it in whatever way we want, feeling that ONE throu Thiruvasagam music is one such type :)

Peace
Ganesh(UV)

njv
8th July 2005, 04:16 AM
Any update on total sales figures so for?
I think its too early to discuss this. Lets first hope that Father finishes all his loan commitments. I really wanted some big corporate to sponsor TIS and fund generously so that such music will come non stop, not just from IR but from all talented composers.

I forwarded TIS to Oratorio society of Minnesota and they will get back to me soon with review/next steps.

p
8th July 2005, 06:29 AM
1. the pieces vEtRu vigAra vidak kudambinuL kidappa & mAsatRa sOthi till the end of pollA vinaiyEn is mind blowing
2.puTRil vAz aravum anjEn - the amma! nAm anjum aaRE piece is captivating..wow!
3. muthu natRamam is the best for me!

popeye11
8th July 2005, 07:35 AM
Apart from the sites which were mentioned earlier for downloading TIS tamilstate.com has the files for download. They should stop this else this masterpiece will be pirated.!!!!!!!!! Pls help

Sanjeevi
8th July 2005, 12:48 PM
CDs Sold out
------------------

In Madurai CDs are sold out. Consider yourself you are lucky, if you are able to get a CD when you go to Music Shop at the first time. In Madurai, Keestu Kaanam 200 CDs are selling a day. They give order from a customer. Then they get CDs from Chennai from courier. Then CD will be delivered after a day. It is amazing.

Source : The Hindu (today), Madurai Edition (Talk of the Town)

tmrrmt
8th July 2005, 03:05 PM
Ok - friends, I am posting my first response after I listened to TiS yesterday all alone in my room on an AIWA System - to start with, I will try giving a one sentence description: This album is an ABSOULTE BOMBSHELL ! in fact, it is a couple of hydrogen bombs packed together in a single CD timed to detonate each time it is played! after playing the entire CD, I involuntarily checked if nothing happened to my system, after that most complex music it has played in its lifetime!

I will follow this up with a deep set of observations, since I am incapable of reviewing this!

tmrrmt
8th July 2005, 03:09 PM
Ok - friends, I am posting my first response after I listened to TiS yesterday all alone in my room on an AIWA System - to start with, I will try giving a one sentence description: This album is an ABSOULTE BOMBSHELL ! in fact, it is a couple of hydrogen bombs packed together in a single CD timed to detonate each time it is played! after playing the entire CD, I involuntarily checked if nothing happened to my system, after that most complex music it has played in its lifetime!

I will follow this up with a deep set of observations, since I am incapable of reviewing this!

tmrrmt
8th July 2005, 03:10 PM

tmrrmt
8th July 2005, 03:12 PM
Dear ADMIN - Am sorry for the multiple postings - please delete the extra postings after retaining one

Sanjeevi
8th July 2005, 03:25 PM
Expectation from official :

Thiruvasagam sales figure will be 10 lakhs after one year.

I will back with detailed review

Cinefan
8th July 2005, 04:16 PM
Right now I am unable to express my feelings about the album,So don't want to start doing that now.Maybe after a couple of weeks&more listenings.

I bought a couple of CD's on Monday from Planet M,Jayanagar.I went in today afternoon to buy a couple more(for gifting)but they had run out of stock.The store manager was not there&the guy who was trying to help me out(What do they call them?)said he did not know exact figures, but they had received the stocks 3 times this week(All sold out).

I went to Music world a couple of blocks away, which had 5 CD's.I bought 2&asked the owner(who was manning the cash counter) about the sales.He said till now they have received 3 batches of 50 CD's each on the 4th,6th&7th respectively, of which only 5 are left(including the two I bought).Which means in 4 1/2 days they have sold 147 CD's.Assuming Planet M also received the same no,two major shops in Jayanagar have sold 297 CD's in 5 days,Amazing.

Just imagine the sales in more prominent outlets like Landmark at Forum Mall,Music world&Planet M on Brigade road.

Shankar
8th July 2005, 05:00 PM
In one of the shops in B'lore (music world/forum), a friend of mine had told me, that one person had ordered 1000 cds !

NagaS
8th July 2005, 06:17 PM
Cinefan,

Did you check with Calypso in Jayanagar, They have IR's poster all over the display area - may be the first time im seeing an indian face there ... !

I am extremely happy to know that sales of TIS CDs is very good - Once the cassettes are released, hopefully we can expect more ...

The album is excellent to say the least and it fully deseves this, no dobut, But I am yet to believe how this extraordinary sales happened :)

IR was supposed to be 'not-so-great' in terms of sales right ? And tamil people were never fond of buying any private albums in huge numbers (be it rap / pop/ devo or whatever) ... Now, how this happened ? Was it the magic of Thiruvaasagam ?

Let me stop my postmortem here, as some people may take it offensive, Sorry guys, its just a surprise I had, because I was thinking (till date) that only 'pakka' commercial things sell in such huge numbers, not dedicated efforts like this - What was the sales for HTNI and NBW in all these years ?

NagaS

njv
8th July 2005, 06:25 PM
YOu can not find out the sales for HTNI/NBW (for that matter Skanda shashti kavasam by Soolamangalam, Bhajagovindam by MSS). The are all "ever green" product. TIS is already on its way to be on that category. After 40 years, still Skanda shasti kavasam and Bhajagovindam are still "hot cakes" and I am sure TIS will be "hot cake" after 100 years as well.

One of my friend who listened to it (and who doesnt like any hype at all and wasnt sure if TIS will make him happy) told me that he is still in shock, for 1 reason, that his ego was washed away completely and for another reason, the shock that he (naturally) got from TIS. He didnt give me any feedback, he said its hard to "take in" TIS so he need atleast 2 days of rest before listening to TIS again.

As far as I goes, "lost in vanity"

sivakumar99
8th July 2005, 06:28 PM
hi all,
i just spoke to one of distibutor in chennai ESSEN MUSICAL , he just told me 1st set of 600 cds came and sold in 3 days time. but he told that they now reducing the stocks since the WELGATE company has reduced the margin and also asking the distibutors to pay cash immeditaely. normally in music field the distibutors will be given atleast 15 days credit period. can TIS group talk to the welgate group about this issue, if the distibutors failed to buy the cds in lot then the sales figure will be reduced drastically.

Sanjeevi
8th July 2005, 07:34 PM
I think this is the first time, a non-film tamil album is selling like hot cakes. It is a great turn for tamil music not only for tamil music, indian music industry.

This is the first time, so many number of CDs are sold out (including film albums). Ennoda CD-yula kettavargal ellam athisayithargal. They also want to buy CDs.

TISK
8th July 2005, 07:49 PM
DearShankar,
This is Dr. Sankarkumar from USA. I want you to do some more investigation on this 1000 Cd order and find who this person is and inform me as I have reliable reports that attempts are being made by some crooks to discretly ship to USa to undersell it to kill the market. Pl. help!
p.s. I will be posting this in the forum also to avoid multiple requests from me to all. Thanks.
Friends, if you also come across such information of mass buying, pl. verify with the store that it is an individual and not a rep. of a US based distributor. Then, they will undersell and reduce the value. Pl. help. Thanks.
YIA!!

gopiharan
8th July 2005, 08:45 PM
yesterday, i had been to shanti tailors, mylapore to get a CD(too late isn't it!).....

he said he is running out of stocks...juz bcos Ilayaraaja's Italy Concernt CD was sold there, people throng the store for TbI CDs......ofcourse i was one among them :P

he said so far 25,000 CDs have been sold(not sure in Chennai alone!) in the last 1 week.....he was very excited to tell this news...

just when i came out of the shop and without my knowledge i turned right & looked at the Kabaleeswarar temple gopuram, the word 'ANBE SIVAM' conveyed it all!

Ellam Avan Seyal!!

app_engine
8th July 2005, 08:47 PM
Info from `Rajanna Raja dhAn thread':

Manisekaran wrote:
I am sorry. What is TIS.
Thiruvasagam In Symphony.
I am sure that Agilan has invited you to the launching of this masterpiece at NUPW Hall next Sunday, where guests include Kartik Raja and Bavadharani.
They will also be showing The Making of TIS.
Entrance is free.

From: Manisekaran on Fri Jul 8 10:14:01 2005. [Full View]

NOV,

Thank you so much. Akilan has been enthusaistically sendng me sms and emails. I am also notifying my friends to attend. I am hearing many good things about TIS from various sources. Raja still reigns. RAJANNA RAJAATHAAN!

Manisekaran

njv
8th July 2005, 09:03 PM
DearShankar,
This is Dr. Sankarkumar from USA. I want you to do some more investigation on this 1000 Cd order and find who this person is and inform me as I have reliable reports that attempts are being made by some crooks to discretly ship to USa to undersell it to kill the market. Pl. help!
p.s. I will be posting this in the forum also to avoid multiple requests from me to all. Thanks.
Friends, if you also come across such information of mass buying, pl. verify with the store that it is an individual and not a rep. of a US based distributor. Then, they will undersell and reduce the value. Pl. help. Thanks.
YIA!!
Few people who does in USA (excluding the ones that I already takl to and confirmed that they WILL NOT bring from india)

H&M
Maharani

TISK, I am telling you, requesting / begging is one thing we can always do, but get some paper work done and issue something like an official statement.

I will talk to one Mr Mohan, who worked on the legal formalities of TIS (you can contact Mr Ananth in NJ who knows Mohan very well) and see if he has any paper work.

also ask TIS-India to warn retailers who are selling TIS India to exporters / who are exporting directly or who are even encouraging exports to outside USA. Ask them to contact IMI (Indian Music Industry) and put a ban on exporting this item (Yes you can do it. You need to pay little money, but its worth it. You will get an IMI hologram that you need to stick in the India CD and anyone who carries them outside India )

Sorry to say this now, but this is where a reputed brand like Sony/Saregama would play a vital role. Lets hope that Maestro's next work is done either thru these folks or hope wellgate (is it the company name?) knows the tricks by then.

Thanks

njv
8th July 2005, 09:14 PM
TISK

Read your PM.

Thanks
NJV

TISK
8th July 2005, 09:52 PM
I have done just that---requesting and begging--- for the last 20 months and look at where we are today!
"puRRil vaazh aravum anjEn!
poyyarkaL uRavum anjEn!"

yellaam iRaivan aruL!

app_engine
8th July 2005, 09:59 PM
One positive thought:
While piracy, smuggling, supply-not-meeting-demand are real concerns, these are indicators of success of the album among music lovers...(Just imagine if the concerns were `not-having-demand', `over-stocked' & `musically-not-good' etc.)

Pathan
8th July 2005, 11:04 PM
I am a volunteer of TIS Group. Should any one needs to get the CD in Bay Area for cash, you can contact me @ pathanmusic@yahoo.com or (650) 577 8473. I will be available in this line after 5:30 during weekdays. But you can leave a message.

thanks
padmakumar Nagarajan

app_engine
8th July 2005, 11:05 PM
http://www.vikatan.com/av/2005/jul/17072005/av0503.asp

Vikatan report of the release function (with a picture of Rajinikanth visiladichifying)

njv
9th July 2005, 12:00 AM
TISK

Can you please publish the volunteers and thier contact details in TIS-USA.com so that people who want to save some shipping can benefit from it.

Thanks
NJV

TISK
9th July 2005, 12:04 AM
Our webmaster has been so swamped with other work with sending these CD's on time, he couldn't have time to upload it. We do have compiled a list and will do so asap. Sorry and thanks for reminding!

May I can provide a short list here but our WM will be mad at me for doing so as he prefers everything to come at the official site first!!
:D :lol:

YIA!

app_engine
9th July 2005, 01:10 AM
http://www.swahilya.blogspot.com/

Read the two posts here related to TIS...(The author is a reporter / reviewer for "The Hindu")

uv
9th July 2005, 01:37 AM
app_engine
can you post the vikatan thing.

alias
9th July 2005, 01:40 AM
I had great expectation on this album. So I rushed to buy it and unfortunely it turned out to be too religious... I am sorry but this is too religious and I should say this is totally religious album and for non hindus this should be puzzle. I found to be like Gospel music.. taking classical songs and converting into symphony cum broadway look.

But this is my personal opinion and please do not be offended. It is like ARR Deen Isai Malai and converting into Symphony and Broadway music.

TISK
9th July 2005, 02:35 AM
S.O.S!!!!

Any IIR fans in the DC area who can help me at the TbI stall in the ThirukkuRaL maanaadu at Smith Auditorium, Howard County, Community College, 10901 Little Patuxent Parkway, Columbia, MD for tomorrow and Sunday, please call me immediately at my cell # 919-413-3913.
Your help is much needed and appreciated.
Thanks.
YIA!!

kamarajc
9th July 2005, 03:44 AM
I had great expectation on this album. So I rushed to buy it and unfortunely it turned out to be too religious... I am sorry but this is too religious and I should say this is totally religious album and for non hindus this should be puzzle. I found to be like Gospel music.. taking classical songs and converting into symphony cum broadway look.

But this is my personal opinion and please do not be offended. It is like ARR Deen Isai Malai and converting into Symphony and Broadway music.

I am not offended. But, may I ask you what else did you expect from a work on Thiruvasagam? However, I am not finding it too religious. We have heard enough of praises about this album. But, the experience is limitless. Simply, I dont think that I possess the wisdom to even comprehend this _____ work. I have left it with a dash, since I am yet to come across a word that would symbolize or match the greatness of this work. Do you think there is something called Healing music? And.. I am not talking religion here.

njv
9th July 2005, 04:15 AM

I am not offended. But, may I ask you what else did you expect from a work on Thiruvasagam? However, I am not finding it too religious. We have heard enough of praises about this album. But, the experience is limitless. Simply, I dont think that I possess the wisdom to even comprehend this _____ work. I have left it with a dash, since I am yet to come across a word that would symbolize or match the greatness of this work. Do you think there is something called Healing music? And.. I am not talking religion here.
Kamaraj dont waste your time. It doesnt matter what "other" people think.

kamarajc
9th July 2005, 04:23 AM
app_engine
can you post the vikatan thing.

Hi uv, I am not posting the tamil article directly. People have issues with font. Please bear with my poor translation. Here is my tryst with anandhavikatan's article. :)

==============

Uiy..Uiy...Excited Rajini !

Alwarpet that hosts 'Music Academy' wore an unusually busy look. Why? It was the crowd that came for the unveiling function of 'Ilayaraja's Thiruvasagam Symphony Oratorio'.

Though not mentioned in the invitation card, Rajini flashed in the very beginning of the function and decorated the stage too. Ilayaraja and Mrs. Jeeva Ilayaraja lighted the traditional lamp, the function dawned.

Everyone spoke on the stage were emotinally charged.

"Had I not been an actor, I would have still stood near the gate of this auditorium (Music Academy) among the normal crowd. I am a lover of Ilayaraja's music" melted Kamal, who was already emoted.

Legendary Music Artist Balamurali Krishna released the first CD of Thiruvaasagam. "This is a divine music by Ilayaraja. An ocean of sweetness; It is like 'Narada' playing 'Yaazh' when 'Kannan' plays the flute and 'Kalaivaani' plays the veena" - he narrated about this Symphony.

Barathiraja talked in a melted tone - "Much was talked by many people on this stage; But, every word is heard by me only as 'Ilayaraja' " his voice broke with emotion.

Union minister for Telecommunications, Jaipalreddy came after a while and praised, "Ilayaraja is a genius. He is a cultural treasure of India. King of melody!".

Rajini was in a very jovial mood. There was an upbeat among the crowd when a spoke. <<<<<<<<-- I am not translating the rest of this paragraph, it is not relevant to the album. He talks about his hair dye, Chandramukhi and a kid fan of his -->>>>>>>>>>>>>

Then came Vaiko, whose speech was filled with sweetness. He quoted with ease some verses from Thiruvaasagam ('Yaathirai paththu... Achchappaththu... Pidiththa paththu...'). This was when Rajini got too excited and turned a sudden fan, forgetting his self and blew 'Whistle' with bounty excitement. Ilayaraja spoke at last as a note of appreciation.. "It is wholly god's work. I have attained my life's purpose by composing music for this Thiruvaasagam" he told with a melted heart.

Even after the function was concluded, there was a large crowd in the auditorium rushing to buy Thiruvaasagam CD. The crowd that is generated by the magic called Ilayaraja.

================

baroque
9th July 2005, 05:10 AM
Friday evening 4:30p.m, I am waiting for my cd to arrive!! innum varalai!! Release day I was exuberant :D , next day i was a victim of the extremes of my virtue, suddenly i was a snob :oops: oops :lol: , now i am desperate... innum varalaiye cd, ippadiye poradhu, waiting for my cd is killing me!! kadavule!!!

njv
9th July 2005, 05:42 AM
baroque

where are u from. if its in USA you should have by now.

baroque
9th July 2005, 06:37 AM
njv, I am in california. shipping confirmation kuda vandhadhu!! I follow up on it. thanks, Vinatha.

mrangan
9th July 2005, 07:07 AM
baroque,

I am in the bay area and I got the CD delivered on Wednesday itself. I had ordered around 15-20th of July.

- Murali

raja_fan
9th July 2005, 09:15 AM
PLEASE ANYBODY TELL ME WHERE IN CHENNAI I CAN GET THE CDs !!!!
I AM DESPARATE
I am in Chennai this weekend, so PLEASE TELL ME !!!

tmrrmt
9th July 2005, 10:14 AM
Friends, good news! - one international (technical) music journal is currently reviewing HTNI, NBW and I24HRs and wonder of wonders, one of the review editors decided to review "Mumbai Xpress" as ethnic jazz(!!) - soon, maybe in a month or two, an indepth review of these albums would be publsihed in that journal - since that journal is highly/widely cited and is a much sought-after journal in major music schools, orchestras, IR should be known around the world by then

Soon, TiS will be reviewed for publication in this journal besides two very popular websites, known for their classy reviews of works by composers like John Williams, Jerry Goldsmith, John Debney, Howard Shore, Don Davis, Elmer Bernstein, John Barry and many others - the editor who runs one of these websites has already conveyed his readiness to review TiS

Let us now hope and pray for the best

tmrrmt
9th July 2005, 04:16 PM
Having listened to TiS firsthand, after its release last week, I am at a complete loss of words to describe my experience - perhaps, the other experience that comes close to this, was when I first saw a Michelangelo painting, or read a Wordsworth poem, or when I fantasised of an azure landscape where there is neither pain nor pleasure, only serene bliss!

Indian mysticism, spiritual traditions are centered around the concept of birth and death caught in a continous cylce , also called CHAURASI - and SOUND plays an essential role in Indian metaphysical concepts

Maestro.Ilaiyaraaja has brought expression to these mystical concepts using music with mind blowing use of Western classical and Indian classical idioms, straddling a middle path and the result is indescribable

We live in a world where modern science says 'Everything is a system even elementary particles (if you believe string theory)!!'

Throughout his musical career, be it in his film compositions or non-film albums such as HOW TO NAME IT?, NOTHING BUT WIND, or INDIA 24 HOURS, Maestro has adventurously explored 'n' number of idioms, genres, and proven time and again that 'music is also a system' and cannot be differentiated into one genre or class and by debunking all existing norms, he has given rise to his own systems approach to music, where the output symbolises the systems approach that 'the whole is greater than sum of parts!'

With TiS, he takes his self-created systems approach to music to an all-time high!

More than a decade ago, Joseph Eagar of the New York Philharmonic Orchestra prophesised thus "This man's (Maestro.Ilaiyaraaja) music will be heard throughout the world over the next millennium."

With TiS, that prophecy is likely to be fulfilled !

rajeshrs_tvm
9th July 2005, 04:20 PM
test

rajeshrs_tvm
9th July 2005, 04:22 PM
pls someone throw some light on INdia 24 hours. is it an album by IR. i had never heard of that before.

raja_fan
9th July 2005, 04:45 PM
Posting again :(

PLEASE ANYBODY TELL ME WHERE IN CHENNAI I CAN GET THE CDs !!!!
I AM DESPARATE
I am in Chennai this weekend, so PLEASE TELL ME !!!

rajeshrs_tvm
9th July 2005, 04:50 PM
[tscii:f79432ba3d]I am posting this after a vague listening of thiruvasagam, by IR.
IR ‘s name will be there in history along with Manikkavasagar and GU Pope.
While hearing, I was just praying, “kadavulae nallaa irukkanumae…” like any diehard fan of IR.
Bhavatharini’s “Poothumbi” had put me to tears, and it will be the most liked song in this album,atleast in the first hearing. The song put me into a different world, I just related this song with a butterfly that flies around a garden. It is that energetic. I cant understand the lyrics, probably it is based on a “thumbi”.For the past 2 days, my mind is full of this song. The music has fitted so nicely into the words. Other thing , the energy the orchestra provides parallelly with the human voices. I wished IR could have come out with a version of this song without voice. The orchestration is beyond words. Ilaiyaraaja avargalukku kodi namaskaaram.
I believe this song is based in Sudhadhanyasi???
[/tscii:f79432ba3d]

raja_fan
9th July 2005, 05:07 PM
rajeshrs_tvm,

Vayatherichalai kelappaatheenga :(

Where did you buy the CD..? Is it available only in Music world or in all audio shops..?

tmrrmt
9th July 2005, 05:18 PM
It is not 'Poothumbi', it is "kothumbi' - it means 'ko' + 'thumbi' - king of bees/flies - Manickavasagar is apparently conversing with the 'kothumbi' that the honey it is seeking for in the flowers is nothing compared to the sweeter than honey nectar, one can experience from Bhakthi, through esoteric spiritual practice on the spiritual plane, or from the Dharshan or beatific vision of the Beloved LORD!

I would say, IR's composition is sweeter than the honey the 'kothumbi' is seeking!!

njv
9th July 2005, 05:59 PM
I would say, IR's composition is sweeter than the honey the 'kothumbi' is seeking!!
Nicely said. Thanks for the explanation. I was reading hte book while listening to the song and for lot of things I am able to get the meaning , except few words here and there. May be thats why everybody likes Thiruvasakam. Manikkavasakar didnt proove his poetic talent here but just simply gave "bhakthi" here. Likewise the music is no more than bhakthi at a different level. Many people cried listening to TIS. I havent cried yet, but each time I hear it, and each time I make more meaning out of it, I loose myself in it.

rprakash
9th July 2005, 06:04 PM
I think this album can only be reviewed by someone who is well versed with thiruvasagam, western classical and eastern classical-which itself is a tough cv to go by. Funnily,I was reminded of vairamuthu's review for sagarasangamam 23 years back-IR's friend turned foe used to review all his songs for which he wrote the lyrics -this was in gemini cinema-they were very well written.He had this to say about salangai oli's songs-''Yaarukum sikkatha sangeetha sigarangalil Raaja sanjarithullar''(IR has scaled musical peaks never scaled before)-Those words will sum up this album beautifully. One thing I am curious is whether he listens to IR at all nowadays and whether he has listened to this work. If so it will be an interesting review.

rajeshrs_tvm
9th July 2005, 10:25 PM
sorry it was kothumbi :(

rajeshrs_tvm
9th July 2005, 10:28 PM
raja fan .. i bought this in trivandrum.

Sanjeevi
9th July 2005, 10:31 PM
Where I can get the meanings (artham / porul) of Thiruvasagam songs in simple tamil or english.

Please give links?

mrangan
10th July 2005, 01:01 AM
Thanks to the song book (is it really written by the Maestro himself - such a beautiful muthu muthana hand writing!), I may have found a bug in the singing of umbarkatkarase(?!) Right in the second line, after "yogame!", it should continue as "oothaiyen thanakku". But it skips those two words and continues from "vambenap pazhuthen". I wonder if this was oversight or done on purpose to fit the lyrics to the tune? I heard it a couple of times to confirm. Am I missing anything?

- Murali Rangan

Kupps
10th July 2005, 08:33 AM
A Slap on my face
------------------

Saturday, 9th July 2005 7:30 pm

I dared to do the thing that hitherto was getting postponed for reasons that are silly.
Why I dared? My friends - four of them, whose place I had reached to spend my weekend, have gone out for weekend shopping leaving me at home, at my insistence.

So I am left all alone in the house, was searching in their TV racks for a CD/DVD to play and listen to some music or movie until they
come back. Yeah! i forgot to tell they have a very good sound system at house their house.

What was I so afraid of, reluctant which finally was overpowered by me when I had finally got an environment for the same, which leaves me alone? Oh! yeah I didn't say you, Dr. SankarKumar had sent me the Thiruvasagam CD with a note promising to send me the DVD after a few days. I was bit let down for not getting the DVD in the same parcel. 'Let down' due to various reasons, one for the very reason the DVD is not there, second, I had given my

office address for shipping and was feeling awkward to ask the receptionist everytime to check whether I had received any parcel, and third Dr.SK has to spend one more time to send a parcel to me. But I didnt know that there surely was something hidden in his mind when he sent only the CD - "boy! are you going to be deject for not getting the DVD? Are you going to scold me for what you might think as irresponsible activity? Fine, you are entitled to do that but first let me see whether you will be back to think about this after listening to the CD. let me see whether you need anything after that. I know that your friends have to bring you back and say "welcome to the world (a la morphius)" after you had listened to the CD.

Ok, let me get back to the track. I got the CD on 6th itself and was not finding time to get such an environment to listen to it. 9th 7:30 pm turned out to be that moment.

I had loaded the CD waiting for some preparation talk or presentation. Bang! Don't expect anything thats what the first musical note that started at zero-th second made me to realise that its not something you were looking for; it is serious, it is spiritual, it is experience, so concentrate. That was the message.

Why the hell did this man chose this song to present as the first one. He didn't realise what this would do to me; Instead of devoting one hour for the entire CD I nearly spent the same time for this one song. It simply did not allow me to go to next, oh forget it, it didnt even made me to think even at my brain's remotest possible location.

"Poovaar senni mannan empuyanga perumaan siriyOmai" simply removed me off my body. Oh! I was seeing the Maanickkavaasagar walking all alone in a winter from the amarnath cave towards the kailash; I was seeing kaaraikkaal ammayaar toiling herself (nay her body) from kedarnath but moving towards the same kailash.

Oh! this man in his thirties unmindful of the body that was full of fatigue due to covering a great nation thrice on foot, but was in bliss because of the satisfcation due to the accomplishment of what he wanted to acheive - tell us about the imortality, is also moving from kasi to kedarnath to badrinath to the same kailash. I see Jesus carrying the cross bearing all pain that man has created to him not merely by the whiplashes but more by their deeds, walking towards that mount to get crucified. Oh! what a splendid view that was. All people are saying the same "pOvOm kaalam vandhadhu kaaN poi vittudayaan kazhalpugavE".

After a while I didnt know what happened to them. Did they reach kailash? Dont know I couldn't see anything my eyes were fully of water.

OK, somehow I came out of it, rather the CD forced me to do that with a short pause for a short while, it just re-liberated me again. "PollaavinayEn nin "perunjeer pugazhumaaru onRaRiyEn....I'm just a man imperfect, lowly how can I reach for something holy". Goosepimps, Wet-cheeks are not sole weapons of kids that are lesser in age, it is also those bodily grown-up yet kids too. Thanks to the loneliness, thanks to the kerchief, I could maintain my ego with my friends (who came back after 3 hours) pretending as if nothing has happened, they might have thought that I fell asleep; you see the previous day night we watched movie till 3AM. So none would have thought otherwise.

"maasaaRRa soodhi! malarndha malarchchudarE!
DEsanE! ThEnaar amudhE! sivapuranE!
paasamaam paRRu aRuththu paarikkum aariyanE!"

don't you think my body woudn't have shaked unable to bear the 'inexplicable things' happening in it?

wow! fortunate are those who haven't had to undergo this...nay! unfortunate are those.

Thank God, then came maanikkavaasagar in the form of a 60+ year old voice as well as early twenties female voice. He laughed at me who is trembling here, unable to cope up with the experience so far i was experiencing, then took me to a brief worldly ride, but not in the concrete jungle, not amongst where

other ignorants like me are to be seen. They took me to that most beautiful garden of this "sivapuran" which has a medow, that kailash just at the behind, the pure manasarovar with its holy swans. They showed this 'king butterfly' then after that instead of explaining about that, they started making it as a messenger wanted that 'king butterfly (ko thumbi)' to go and blow trumpet of their virtue to that holy foot that rules, that holy foot on which the son climbs (without fear or reverence), to the holy foot to which this king of flower, purandharan, queen of words, gods show their reverence.

If anything I had to face, experience, encounter, I have to; I will, even if my will is otherwise. That small worldly bliss those two manickavaasagars took

me got stopped, once again they left me to shake further. "UmbartkarasE, ozhivaRa niRaindha yOgamE! vamben pazhuththEn kudimuzhudhaandu....semporuL thunivE,

seerudaikazhalE,selvamE, sivaperumaanE". Man would any other person beg, plead to this extent only to get a gracious look from this unprune, bigamous, undertaker?" I was getting enraged, turned out to be the "angry young man (OK not that young as one would claim) of 21st century". Should anyone make his devotee to turn himself to 'lesser life than a dog'? Hadn't 'Sivapuran' finally graced my manickkavaasagar, I would some how gone to his place and slapped on his face. Thank God (pun intended) maanickkamaamanivaasagar finally got what he wanted".

So..
Namachivaaya vaazhga! naadhan thaazh vaazhga! Hail Hail! I sing hail! Hail Hail! Joyous hail! Endless hail!

Then came a superb earthly tour to all sivakshetram. Tour courtesy again maanickavaasagar who was in the form of music, its visuals, lyrics, its soul, the voices. Wow! what a superb "mix of that golden paste" that blissful moment had created in me. Wow! what a comfort one would feel by being a mere spectator to that spectacular.

From there he told that he will take me to kailash starting from village, rustic environment wherein he was not afraid of the snake dwelling in its den. Oh! he need not to be afraid of anything, you see already he is liberated, already he has become a sivapuran, already he has smeared himself in every cell of kailash. So he need not have to be afraid of birth, rebirth, sin, virtue, good, bad and ugly. When I heard the "amma naama anjum aarE" the other person who suddenly i noticed, was saying "aranga maa nagaruLaanE". I said to him listen carefully our manivaasagar is saying "amma naama anjum aarE". he was unmindful of what I was saying, he still went on saying "aranga maa nagaruLaanE". When I irritatingly turned towards him he was none other than me. I was confused. That time maanickavaasagar saw me, smiled at me. That smile had a lot of meaning. One I could understand, he said without saying that rustic saying "ariyum sivanum onnu adha aRiyaadhavan vaayila maNNu". I realised what he wanted to convey. I turned towards maanickavaasagar to thank him. Here he goes, towards his abode, the kailash, here he goes to get into his ultimate form the 'maasaRRa sOdhi'. I could see him, unbelievable.

So many forms I must wear! So many lives I must bear!

I am just a man imperfect lowly...how can I reach something holy

But thanks to manickavaasagar, thanks to His wish to give me the spectacular musical vision. Until then...

"I was in its control
I was in its control"

But He "granted a glimps of grace! oh! oh! oh!"

I'm just a man! Imperfect lowly! - yet begining to be free!

"Eesanadi poRRi endhayadi poRRi desanadi poRRi sivan sEvadi poRRi maaya piRapparukkum mannanadi poRRi".

"Avan aruLale avan thaaL vaNangi", avan aruLale avanisai kettu inbutREn paraaparamE.

[[ please forgive me for any mistakes ]]

-Kupps

vijayr
10th July 2005, 09:55 AM
Another interesting article
http://www.hindu.com/mag/2005/07/10/stories/2005071000410500.htm

rajasaranam
10th July 2005, 09:40 PM
Vijayr,

Thiruvasagam album pathi unga review ethirparkiraen :)

baroque
10th July 2005, 11:15 PM
[tscii:7191e9f303]Yes Sir,me too!! VijayR, Sometimes you have completely different, opposite views but very interesting!!! Ungaloda postings lerundhu naan ungalai pathi understand panniyerukkaradhu(I may be completely wrong!!! if I am wrong, apologize me!!), ungalukku ‘viruthama’ carnatic concerts ley paaduvaley adhumaadhiry yerundha better aa appeal aagumnnu ninaikkaren!! Lets see what you have say!![/tscii:7191e9f303]

kiru
11th July 2005, 12:16 AM
First. thanks to TIS-USA, Tamil Mayyam and all volunteers/contributors for making this happen. I got my CD on the 7th which was mailed on the second. I am too busy and only managed to listen to it twice. So far, I have been reading all the responses here and my opinions are along the same lines. If people ecstatic and launch into hyperboles, it is not at all surprising. 'polla vinaiyEn' is especially 'goosebumps' all over. Even my parents (who I wrongfully suspected may not like the WCM aspects) are very moved and want a CD. Still, the music is not totally alien to discerning IR fans. We have had an inkling of what is going to come. But the scale is so big, we are all at an awe , just like anybody else. paalavainaththil mazhai thuLigaLai paarthu viyanthavan, azhagiya kadalil neendhi thiLaikkum anubavam.
IR who presented Indian classical music in popular formats in movies, presents a classical fusion again in a very appealing format, as can be seen by the popularity/commercial success of the album. BTW, this is nothing like Handel's Messiah. It is very raaja'ish. The normal flute in IR's songs manifests in a more classical way with horns in this work. Ofcourse, the multipart string sections sound grander and mind-boggling with a bigger orchestra. The team has described it as a crossover, because of the rhythm instruments used I guess. But it is nowhere like the 'classical crossovers' being sold in the US. This is in a totally different /higher plane. The symphonic appellation is also very apt. (I think, it was Guitar Prasanna, who said IR is the one who can present high quality popular music. He was comparing him with Sting, but with this work, we need to identify somebody else, even people like John Williams may not have the reach into the masses like IR has with this work).

The work seems to be a daring attempt at fusing popular music of India (films, I mean only the essence here), Americas/West (like Broadway) and indian classical and western classical. IR fans know the imperceptible twists and turns in IR's music. In 'pollA vinaiyEn' you dont know at what pitch the music is going to be, when will the indian chorus chime, when the choir will join or when the operatic singer will join. It is all so seamless, it is mind-boggling. One needs to take a rest/sip water/catch a breath after this musical roller-coaster ride.

Overall a musico-religious experience hitherto unheard of in India or the West. I am not sure how the western classical experts in US/Europe going to take this. I am thinking their response would be like that of US awe/sometimes fear/a resigned appreciation of China's economy or for the high-technology/software prowess of India. I will be mailing a CD to KDFC a SF Bay Area , a classical music radio station. The person there will try to accomodate this in the Sunday morning religious program. If anybody is contacting Prof. George Hart in Bay Area please let me know. I will be ordering a bunch of CDs to give to send to people like this and musically inclined friends.

I dont know whether to thank or praise or be impressed with IR's musical skills. The thought that arises in my mind is - may he blessed with a longer life and do more works like this..
I also hope that this album becomes a financial success and people like Father are out of debt really soon.

mrangan
11th July 2005, 12:42 AM
kiru,

do you know if KDFC is going to broadcast it on any specific sunday? I live in the bay area and would love to hear what they would say if and when they would broadcast it.

- Murali

irfansong
11th July 2005, 09:13 AM
Hi Guys,

Yesterday one of my friend wanted a CD and we went to Landmark to buy it. It was not there and they said that the CDs & Casettes are out of stock and they've ordered for it.

My friend had bought an expensive headphones and a walkman to hear TiS. But no casettes available. Could you let me know if the casettes are released and if they are available in Bangalore ?

Irfan

rooky
11th July 2005, 10:38 AM
I also found TIS CDs out of stock from landmark.I dont think cassettes are released yet.Since, the CD sales is very good, i guess they will delay the release of cassettes further.

Y don't u try at planetM or music world.

irfansong
11th July 2005, 11:08 AM
My Friend who bought the headset and walkman to hear TiS will kill me if there are no casettes available. He asked me if it is available before he went to SP Road to buy them. I said it is available and it costs Rs.50/- as I saw from the net. He then bought the set and asked a casette shop fellow and he had said that the casettes are not yet out. This fellow asked me and I approached Landmark and found it is out of stock....

:D :roll: He said if it is not there, we'll go to Hosur and get it. Are casettes available in Hosur atleast?

rajasaranam
11th July 2005, 02:33 PM
Iam posting this one from IR Yahoo groups. A case of inspiration for IR :)

Dear Sundar,

thanksfor sharing the info on 'Kothumbi' - 'Flight of the bumblebee'.
I went into search for the full notes at www.8notes.com and got it :)
http://www.8notes.com/scores/2859.asp?ftype=midi

Dear all,
Please listen to the score by Nikolai Rimsky-Korsakov and listen to
our maestros score. oh... i dont have any words to explain how Raja
has fitted it for the lyrics of 'Manickavasagar'...
Its truly amazing listening to both versions. We yet dont know such
obscure composers from west, and i keep wondering how many such
composers Raja has listened to in his formative days, and how well
he interprets and translates them for us.

sats
11th July 2005, 06:48 PM
All

Yesterday was Manikavasagar guru Poojai, each one of us would have remembered the great saint thru raaja's TIS yday.

njv
11th July 2005, 06:58 PM
Iam posting this one from IR Yahoo groups. A case of inspiration for IR :)

Dear Sundar,

Dear all,
has fitted it for the lyrics of 'Manickavasagar'...
Its truly amazing listening to both versions. We yet dont know such
obscure composers from west, and i keep wondering how many such
composers Raja has listened to in his formative days, and how well
he interprets and translates them for us.

I listened to it many times (probably 50 to 60 times) to see the correlation. I dont know if maestro must have listened to it in the past, but the resemblence is very hard to make out. Basically its a bee flying sound and it would be a common thing for creators at IR level to use similar frequency to start a song that talks about bees. I would not even call it as inspiration (even if IR truly had inspiration from this song). Just because IR was born years later than bach/beethoven/mozart, I wouldnt call IR's work as inspiration from them (even if some of them are truly inspirational). If you remember Viurmaandi had the same bee sound before the sandiyare song start. If you lookp back in 70s/80s you can find similar bee sound in many bharathiraja-vairamuthu-IR combos. What would have been interesting is to see IR use different prelude for this.!

Anyways this message from YG made me listen to some of the truly classic songs of west as well and that increased my listening capacity of TIS a bit more. I went to best buy yesterday to buy this album (and black eyed phunk where they remixed IR's song) and both of them were not there (BEP wasthere but didnt have IR's song in it. they removed it probably for known reasons!).

Coming back to TIS, I dont know if any one of you are feeling this, but even when I am sleeping, the songs are clearly and distinctly going thru in my mind with out affecting my sleep. After repeated lsitening I really dont need the CD / music system anymore. Its just in my mind and playing all the time. When I got the CD I wasnt that happy with the second song (I posted this earlier as well), but now the second song is stuck in my brain. The way I breath now is

inhale

namachivaya vazhga

exhale

naadhanthaal vazhga

inhale

imai pozhuthum

exhale

ennenjil

inhale

neengaathaan vazhga

- may be this is what you call breath taking?

Osho
11th July 2005, 07:02 PM
Rajasaranam,

I dont think that there is an inspiration to Flight of bumble bee. Different Composers use different technique to induce the feeling of floating, flight etc.

Raaja's technique is intermittent use of strings section through out. In kothumbi, though at times the composition takes a different theme altogether. All facets of the flight of the bee is taken into account may be.

Kothumbi is out of world. Look at the starting of the composition. The take off of the bee, and then the sustained flight. Imagine the flight pattern of the bee and then listen to the song. Mind boggling, out of the world composition.. Truly mesmerizing.

app_engine
11th July 2005, 07:51 PM
NOV, A new and frightening development. Akilan just phoned me and requested me to speak for 20 minutes on the musical achievements of Ilayaraja at the launching of TIS. I need all your prayers in abundance for the success of the event and for a good presentation from this humble servant.
Karthik Raja would be there.

Thank you.
Yours sincerely

Manisekaran

haiyA, namma veteran DF'er giving a speech in TiS release in Malaysia:-)

TISK
11th July 2005, 08:28 PM
We were in Washington DC for the Launch of TbI at the ThirukkuRaL maanaadu the past weekend, which was graced by Fr.Jegath with his invigorating speech and the Cd's just flew once his speech was over! It was heartening to see people buying 5's&10's and everyone congratulating and thanking TiS-USA and I am sure you all must have felt it!!

Fr. has since gone to London and will be back in India in a few days.

Pl. get in touch with me at tisusa@gmail.com to promote it in your area.

YIA!!

vijayr
11th July 2005, 08:50 PM
rajasaranam/baroque, havent gotten my CD yet , patiently waiting. I'll express my thoughts once I listen to it a few times. I dont think I'll review it like a TFM album.

TISK, any ideas on the sales figures so far? The rate at which things are going, the initial target of 10000 CDs overall should have already been met.

TISK
11th July 2005, 09:16 PM
I spoke to the Chennai people and they said they will bereleasing the figures in aday or two. I am NOT in the 'overall' picture which is controlled from India[!] and I only am doing this in USA to not to dissappoint our fans here by any sort of delay and we just got a few thousand CD's and we will beposting our figures very soon, once we star getting the returns and figures. Thanks.
YIA!

ananth222
11th July 2005, 09:55 PM

Dear all,
has fitted it for the lyrics of 'Manickavasagar'...\

I don't see much of a resemblence. It sounds more like "Flight of the Humble Bee" by L Subramaniam. LS must have been inspired by that more than IR IMO.

njv
11th July 2005, 10:00 PM
rajasaranam/baroque, havent gotten my CD yet , patiently waiting.
Please see your PM.

app_engine
11th July 2005, 10:30 PM
http://shopping.chennaionline.com/newshop/audiovideo/thiruvasagam.asp

This link says :
"There is a delay in supply of Thiruvasagam DVD and Audio Cassettes, from the producers. As soon as we get our stock - in a week - we will start dispatches to all our esteemed customers. We regret the inconvenience caused. "

I'm not sure whether this is good news or not....

app_engine
11th July 2005, 11:32 PM
Review of `velaiyathavan':-)
http://swara.blogspot.com/

vijayr
12th July 2005, 12:08 AM
thats a surprise. will be talking to MS sometime. I hope to have listened to TIS before that. Like always, he has come up with a no-holds-barred review. I agree with him on Guru :-)

app_engine
12th July 2005, 12:37 AM
http://www.mouthshut.com/review/Thiruvasakam_-_Illayaraja-77936-1.html
http://balajiblogs.blogspot.com/2005/06/thiruvasagam.html
http://chennailiving.blogspot.com/
http://braindroppings.rediffblogs.com/
http://visveswaran.blogspot.com/
http://xperienceblog.blogspot.com/
http://swethhere.blogspot.com/
adikka varAdheenga:-)

njv
12th July 2005, 12:51 AM
http://www.mouthshut.com/review/Thiruvasakam_-_Illayaraja-77936-1.html
http://balajiblogs.blogspot.com/2005/06/thiruvasagam.html
http://chennailiving.blogspot.com/
http://braindroppings.rediffblogs.com/
http://visveswaran.blogspot.com/
http://xperienceblog.blogspot.com/
http://swethhere.blogspot.com/
adikka varAdheenga:-)
These are all individual persons view. Since the introduction of blog, such things are coming out. Out of all these, if someone can look in detail about their "blabbering" you can easily find out they have no musical knowledge or have very little which is hinderring them from enjoying music.

The best review that I have read for any album (not just TIS but in general anything he review has a "logic" in it) is by Suresh. The link is

The rest of them - waste of bandwidth.