PDA

View Full Version : Gere/Shilpa: What the hell? What's goin' on? Seriously!

Bipolar
28th April 2007, 04:16 AM
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/6596163.stm

What? Are they serious?

Lambretta
28th April 2007, 02:17 PM
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/6596163.stm

What? Are they serious?
Although it might have been done in 'good humour' the situation where they did it was inappropriate considering it was supposed to be a sober meeting for potential AIDS victims, not a live entertainment show!
And besides, the man's old enough to be her father! :roll:

Ultimately above all, in cases like these they bring in the point bout India being the land of Kamasutra to boot! :banghead: :evil:

pavalamani pragasam
28th April 2007, 03:17 PM
The 'emancipated', 'enlightened', 'globalised' new generation may easily brush aside the 'moral police' with contempt & resume the race with the west towards moral decadence. But the fact remains: the people of both the small & silver screen are hell-bent on demolishing all cutural values & human dignity that are worth being proud of for a civilised society.

crazy
28th April 2007, 03:43 PM
PP amma :exactly:

hand shake'il thodangi, kiss vandhu.......enga poi mudiya podho :banghead:

thimuru
28th April 2007, 03:58 PM
where is richard gere now?

Bipolar
28th April 2007, 07:44 PM
Well I can fully understand why people were displeased by Gere's gestures on stage, but taking legal action and issuing an arrest warrant, now that is really going too far... I mean, is it something that has never been seen in Bollywood movies?

Let me say I am not one who is in favour of "aping the West"... but certainly there is a lot that India and Indians can learn from the "West"... now that would be a different discussion... what I am irritated by is the way many real problems in India are silently accepted, while little insignificant things like this are blown way out of proportion... usually by someone who has something to gain personally... but the rest of us join in without even thinking about what we're doing... An example would be the time when Khushboo voiced her opinions on an admittedly controversial issue (was it last year?) I could fully understand why many people strongly disagreed with her views, but the political uproar that it caused was really quite stupid... I mean, if you want to get your point across, it's not a good idea to scream or yell... you'll make a lot of noise, but people won't take you seriously... or at least, I don't take effigy-burners very seriously...

I think Indians (admittedly including myself) have a tendency to get emotional over everything, when what we really need is a bit of rational thinking...

P.S. Sorry if I've offended anyone with my comments here...

thilak4life
28th April 2007, 09:58 PM
Bipolar,
Absolutely!

We get emotional and overlook the basic necessities. Whatever happened to poverty alleviation, health care, education, infrastructure, corruption, Aids awareness, traffic problems and what NOT! Instead of worrying about the so-called western influence and blaming a single generation, I would like to know what the older generation, government and the supposed 'Moral policing' stimulators did to overcome population, pollution, etc. Poi pasangala convent-la padika vekuradu..aprama avangala yepidiyavudu Veli naatu-ku anipi sambArika vekuradhu, final-a nalla sandoshama irukkurangala illaya? Adhuku mattum Western influence venum. We've had enough of this nonsensical rants over "Etiquettes" when we can't afford to provide half-decent meal for everyone. And every person out of 3 can't read and write a single language. Instead of worrying about insignificant "improper conduct", Let us first try to provide food, shelter, education and health.

Moreover, I am NOT against the western culture. Yes, APING is disgusting. But we've also drawn advantages from the west(and they have got their share as well), like IT jobs, etc. Outsourcing man power to the world has its consequences. Media and press have instigated the influence even more. Having said that, I don't think our culture is any good. The same culture which goes down in history with shameless practice like "Misogyny", Proletariat discrimination, Polygamy, Female infanticide, Chauvinism, Child marriage, "Sati", etc...Compared to all this and more, A girl driving a SUV along with her boyfriend and dancing together in a disc late night is WELCOME and ETHICAL! People enjoying themselves without affecting or inflicting pain SHOULDN'T be prejudiced or finger-pointed like this.

Richard Gere has taken initiatives for Aids awareness. Sometimes wasting his time(from a Self-centered point of view) and more importantly 'painstakingly' travelling around the world for helping different societies and people without caring about their ethnicity or race. Gere just posed with Shetty like with J'Lo in "shall We dance". Moreover, there are many billboards where obscenity are ever so obvious. Chennai fulla AhA-FM poster pakuringala illaya? It's even more sick with obvious implication. Ada vida periya kutram panitAra Richard Gere?

Finally if that is bad, then I should point out the sculptures in our temples. All the statues look 'vulgar' enough. Adellam vituruvangalaey! Funny to hear this from us, the land of kamasutra. That's the truth, however hard it's to hear that.

Just look at our own farce before complaining about dirt in other's shirt. Being an 'Indian' happens by chance. It's not a qualification. Of course, we can feel good about ourselves in few things.BUT We have even more things to worry about.

P.S: This post, in no way endorses the WEST, but this is the ultimate truth which blinds us before quibbling about them.

pavalamani pragasam
28th April 2007, 10:41 PM
It all boils down to this fact: the real culprit/villain is present day MEDIA which is behaving in an insensitive, imbecile, indiscriminate, indecent, irresponsible, reprehensible manner! Cheap sensationalism is what it aims at! There is absolutely no guidelines as to what is news and what is not.Such a lot of pulp stupidity thrust upon us & odious advertisements & scenes irking our vision/sensibility through visual communication aids. So much sub-standard stuff in MEDIA! A shame!

goodsense
29th April 2007, 05:07 AM
"I think Indians .......have a tendency to get emotional over everything, when what we really need is a bit of rational thinking... ". :roll: Let's hope it's all your words. :roll:

Funny enough, when I smell something, there is always something that shows up later to confirm that I was right about what I was smelling. I remember a quote of my counsin I made mention of (needless to ask where and when) was made mention of on this or old hub about a year or so ago "The darker the berry the sweeter it is". The person who used the phrase was trying to make out that it is the original idea of he/she in using it on hub to make joke. I found it quite cheap to do such a thing. There could be more that I haven't yet spotted.

Raghu
2nd May 2007, 03:57 PM
aama, namma naatuku romba mukiyaman vishayam :banghead: :banghead:

r_kk
2nd May 2007, 08:46 PM
He is one of strong supporter for Tibetan freedom movement. He was even part of Dalai Lama's special envoy in appealing to Congress to help Tibet's quest for autonomy

He had written a book "Pilgrim" about Tibet

He runs big foundation which supports many social programs and help lots of suffering and needy people.

Can any one say who is he? Most of us can't tell.

But if we say he is person who kissed Shilpa on the stage, then every one can tell his name without giving any further clues!

We accept people doing all immoral activities in the darkness, we don't care what is going on behind screen. Even in films perversion, exposure, dance with sexual movements, every thing acceptable. But we can't tolerate some one doing it openly even if it is done jovially without any bad intention.

I don't know whether we have to call him as pervert or us as Hippocratic perverts!

Roshan
2nd May 2007, 10:53 PM
r_kk :thumbsup:

தமிழ் கலாச்சாரத்தை கட்டிக்காக்கும் மதிப்பிற்குரிய நம் பெண்மணிகள், மற்றும் கலாச்சார காவலர்கள், குடும்பத்தோடு உட்கார்ந்து, தம் வாழ்க்கையின் ஒரு கட்டாய கட்மையாக நாள்தோறும் மணிக்கணக்கில் - உண்டு உற்று, உணர்ந்து களிக்கும் சீரியல்களில் உள்ள கலாச்சார சீர்கேடுகளைவிட இது எப்படி மோசமானதாக கருதபடுகிறது என்று எனக்கு புரியவில்லை. :twisted: :twisted:

முரண்பாடுகளின் மூட்டைகள் !! :evil:

Height of Hypocrisy :twisted:

thilak4life
2nd May 2007, 11:44 PM
He is one of strong supporter for Tibetan freedom movement. He was even part of Dalai Lama's special envoy in appealing to Congress to help Tibet's quest for autonomy

He had written a book "Pilgrim" about Tibet

He runs big foundation which supports many social programs and help lots of suffering and needy people.

Can any one say who is he? Most of us can't tell.

But if we say he is person who kissed Shilpa on the stage, then every one can tell his name without giving any further clues!

We accept people doing all immoral activities in the darkness, we don't care what is going on behind screen. Even in films perversion, exposure, dance with sexual movements, every thing acceptable. But we can't tolerate some one doing it openly even if it is done jovially without any bad intention.

I don't know whether we have to call him as pervert or us as Hippocratic perverts!

:clap:

People who moan about it - :banghead:

PP,

YES. Media 'hypes' and create a big sensation. Talk about making a mountain out of a molehill. The innumerable coverage given to the kiss was totally uncalled for. Had they talked about Gere's works for different societies, the picture would have been very different!

rachel
3rd May 2007, 03:50 AM
///... what I am irritated by is the way many real problems in India are silently accepted, while little insignificant things like this are blown way out of proportion///

exactly :thumbsup:

goodsense
3rd May 2007, 05:35 AM
He runs big foundation which supports many social programs and help lots of suffering and needy people. Can any one say who is he? Most of us can't tell. ..every one can tell his name without giving any further clues!

We don't know if the media was aware of all facts before painting a picture of obscenity and hence the mind set of the man. There are however instances where those broadcasting are well aware of noble acts, but "delete" it from the same source they use to do the damage or to set the story to suite their needs.

Shekhar
31st May 2007, 02:56 PM
I absolutely condemn in the name of the prestige of our country what Richard Gere did to Shilpa. ....
When lakhs of countrymen like me are standing in the que to do that, how can this fellow from abroad jump the que and usurp our chances?!!!

pavalamani pragasam
31st May 2007, 03:00 PM
:rotfl:

Shekhar
31st May 2007, 03:03 PM
Our great culture says, it is not what we do that makes it right or wrong, but whether others see it or not, that does.
I am an Indian.
I am not immoral if I dont get caught.
I am not immoral if I am rich.
I am not immoral if I am a powerful politician.
I am not immoral if I am a bollywood hero.
I am not immoral if I am celebrity.
People will still love me.

pavalamani pragasam
31st May 2007, 03:05 PM
:rotfl: You are in full form!

Lambretta
31st May 2007, 03:08 PM
I absolutely condemn in the name of the prestige of our country what Richard Gere did to Shilpa. ....
When lakhs of countrymen like me are standing in the que to do that, how can this fellow from abroad jump the que and usurp our chances?!!!
I was first astounded to read the first sentence in ur post.....until I read the next one.........:lol: :rotfl:

Shekhar, man, ur such a shaker! :rotfl2: :lol2: :wink:

Lambretta
31st May 2007, 03:18 PM
I am not immoral if I am rich.
Who said ur, if ur rich?? :roll: :?

Surprised to find u edifying our culture tho.... :P :)

pavalamani pragasam
31st May 2007, 03:23 PM
Lambretta, Shekhar is a very old hubber known for his wit & cynical humour. His favourite subject is 'women'! :D

Lambretta
31st May 2007, 03:28 PM
Yes of course I know him, PP ma'm! :lol: :D

Shakthiprabha.
31st May 2007, 03:56 PM
As usual....

its their life
their problem

we have our own problems to take care,
WHY POKE NOSE in other ppl's personal affair?

(yup... they need to have done all what they have to do IN 4 WALLS, not in a public tv show)

Lambretta
31st May 2007, 04:52 PM
(yup... they need to have done all what they have to do IN 4 WALLS, not in a public tv show)
This is exactly wat most of us (I hope) have been stressing on here! :roll:

Rocky_
1st June 2007, 09:00 AM

Have u seen what happens on Indian Public TV Shows? :confused2: I"m sure what Richard Gere did wasn't worse than Malle malle Malle Marudha Malle by Mumtaj which was played everyother day when I was in 9th Grade on Sun TV. :?

It's Definatly not worst than a song with lyrics like "ABCD Theriyavillai Enakku..Unna Paatha, S-E-X u kekudhu Vayasu." which running wild and it still played on Indian Radio stations.

Sure as hell not worse than many scenes which are in Bollywood, Kollywood, Tollywood etcetc movies.

those are okay, because they're Fictional, but this is Non-Fiction, so that's a big deal? So the problem is with the Genres and not the Actual Incident? :?

I remember that many ppl in the hub were Furios when a few Shiv Sena Activists Harrased couples on Mumbai Beaches because they were Kissing etc. Why is Gere given different Treatement?

This whole thing is Silly and has been blown copletley out of Proportion. If it was Imran Hashmi instead of Gere, then this won't even be made into such a big deal. :lol2:

Shekhar
1st June 2007, 09:38 AM
His favourite subject is 'women'! :D

Please PP Mam, you are not fair to me. I am a very soft hearted person who is very scared of women. Look at the way they butcher me in this hub. They haunt me even in my dreams. !! :( :( :wink:

dev
1st June 2007, 10:10 AM

:rotfl:

Lambretta
1st June 2007, 11:14 AM
It's Definatly not worst than a song with lyrics like "ABCD Theriyavillai Enakku..Unna Paatha, S-E-X u kekudhu Vayasu." which running wild and it still played on Indian Radio stations.
Holy s***! Wat movie is this song from?? :shock: :x
And did it come to the notice of the women's org. (forgot the name) tat had protested against Boys (altho tat wasnt wrong) & tat party tat nearly lynched Kushboo (PMK or sumthing) earlier.....?? :roll:

This whole thing is Silly and has been blown copletley out of Proportion. If it was Imran Hashmi instead of Gere, then this won't even be made into such a big deal. :lol2:
Hmm......yea, maybe...or John Abraham.....:lol2:

Shakthiprabha.
1st June 2007, 12:27 PM
Have u seen what happens on Indian Public TV Shows? :confused2: I"m sure what Richard Gere did wasn't worse than Malle malle Malle Marudha Malle by Mumtaj which was played everyother day when I was in 9th Grade on Sun TV. :?

It's Definatly not worst than a song with lyrics like "ABCD Theriyavillai Enakku..Unna Paatha, S-E-X u kekudhu Vayasu."

Rocky,

I NEVER SHARE a different view at all.
Its 100 percent similar to urs.

This whole thing is Silly and has been blown copletley out of Proportion.

Had I not mentioned that line, (TOO MANY are aware of my general opinions about such views), the ARGUMENT would start from POINT 1.

I was tired of arguments, in such issues, HENCE just included the statement to AVOID ARGUMENT :roll:

pavalamani pragasam
1st June 2007, 12:34 PM
His favourite subject is 'women'! :D

Please PP Mam, you are not fair to me. I am a very soft hearted person who is very scared of women. Look at the way they butcher me in this hub. They haunt me even in my dreams. !! :( :( :wink:

2 sad followed by one wink emoticons speak for your wickedness!!! :lol: That is a correct intro in all fairness to you, how you love the subject! Aren't we absolutely flattered & regaled? :lol:

Rocky_
1st June 2007, 10:32 PM
Holy s***! Wat movie is this song from??
And did it come to the notice of the women's org. (forgot the name) tat had protested against Boys (altho tat wasnt wrong) & tat party tat nearly lynched Kushboo (PMK or sumthing) earlier.....??

It's from this movie called "Manmadhan" There is a Difference between Sexy and Vulgarity, and for some reason Tamil Movie makers can never make that Distinction. :(

PMK guys aren't moral police. They do stuff like this when Ppl start forgetting them. Then when they do start, ppl start ignoring them. :lol: They never do anything that makes any sense. Anbumani Ramadoss (PMK) has been rated as one of the WORST Performers in Delhi as Health Minister or Something. :lol2:

Hmm......yea, maybe...or John Abraham.....

Ejatly. :lol2:

I NEVER SHARE a different view at all.
Its 100 percent similar to urs.

:D :D

I was tired of arguments, in such issues, HENCE just included the statement to AVOID ARGUMENT

:lol: That completley destroys the point of a Thread. :P But I know how u feel, I"ve felt that too. :cry: