PDA

View Full Version : Pressure cooker or Slow Cooker (Crockpot)

Pappadum
26th May 2007, 09:40 AM
Hi everyone!

I am in the market for a pressure cooker or slow cooker (crockpot). Could I please ask the experts here on which one of the two items I should buy? (I'd rather not buy both). Any pros and cons, especially when it comes to Indian recipes, would be most welcome.

Thank you kindly.

Tharuna
26th May 2007, 11:47 AM
hi pappadum,

i have been using pressure cookers ever since i started cooking and i find them wonderful. it is easy to cook rice, potatoes, dals etc.
i always find that pressure cooking saves time. For pulaos and biriyanis i do not cook with the whistle. i just cook on medium fire for 20 min and i get excellent biriyanis.

Iam not an expert and I dont have much knowledge on cooking with crockpots but I found many friends having even 2 or 3 pressure cookers. But with pressure cookers u have to make sure that u always have a spare gas ring / gasket .

So my vote is for pressure cookers.

dev
26th May 2007, 02:52 PM
I too prefer pressure cooker to slow cooker... Slow cooker would be convenient if U like to put in the food to cook in the morning & come back in the evening for a nice hot meal ready for you...:) But for everyday Indian cooking, pressure cooker is much faster & guess it would consume much less energy than slow cooker... And I've never been convenient leaving something to in the slow cooker when I am not home...

Pappadum
27th May 2007, 12:54 AM
Brilliant!! Thank you Tharuna and Dev.