PDA

View Full Version : Old Malayalam Movies....

mallu1982
7th June 2007, 10:00 AM
Hi guys,
I just wanted to create a topic to discuss or review old malayalam movies. Old malayalam movies meaning before the 90's. There have been great movies from the 90s to now but everyone knows about them and is still discussing them. So I thought a topic for the older movies would be good.

mallu1982
7th June 2007, 10:09 AM
Does anyone remember the movies that Mohanlal and Karthika acted in...I think they did about 8-10 movies together I'm not sure exactly how much. But I have been trying to figure out the names of two movies with them in it.
First movie is where Mohanlal plays Shalini's father and her mother had passed away. Karthika marries Mohanlal because she loves Shalini. In the end Shalini's character dies and Karthika's character dies after having the new baby.
Second movie is where Mohanlal and Karthika have had their marriage arranged from childhood. But Mohanlal does not really want to marry her and he becomes an outcast of the family. Karthika's dad makes her marry a guy who dies after a week of marriage. Then her dad makes her marry Soman's character who is the father of two children. When Soman's character passes away the children's aunt takes them away and Karthika goes to live by herself somewhere. In the end Mohanlal and her meet again.

If anyone knows what the names of these two movies are please reply.

padmanabha
8th June 2007, 07:24 AM
that sounds good. i think i will be able to post a few reviews and write ups on them.

padmanabha
9th June 2007, 06:58 PM
[tscii:b113d62cd1]Sathyan the fore-runner of star-syndrome in Malayalam cinema started his career as a teacher. He then joined the army became a police officer afterwards and finally landed up in the silver screen.
His first film came out in 1950. He acted in 153 Malayalam films, and a few Tamil films. For more than a quarter century, he remained the very masculine, dark, hero, with rough manners and a shy smile that captivated the Malayali psyche.
Neelakuyil, was a land mark in the history of Malayalam cinema. There were signs to save Malayalam film from the traditional grip of theatre and Tamil filmdom. He introduced the characteristic ethnic Malayali hero, humane on one hand, and will all the weakness of ordinary human being on the other. In Chemmen he essayed the role of Pazhani-a lonely man with a turbulent soul.

Uthpal Dutt, on seeing Satyan’s performance in ANUBHAVANGAL PAALICHAKAL- remarked “in the face lined with the agony and threats of ordinary laborer …I could discern the great talent of Satyan portraying the inner chaos of an ordinary worker…”

NEELAKKUYIL (THE BLUE KOEL)
DIRECTION:-P BHASKARAN/RAMU KARYAT
CAMERA :-A VINCENT
MUISC :- A RAGHAVAN
CAST :- KUMARI, AMMINI AMMA, SATYAN
PRODUCTION:-CHNADRATHARA PICTURES
AWARDS:-THE PRESIDENT’S ALL INDIA CERTIFICATE OF MERIT FOR THE SECOND BEST FILM -1954
Neeli, a young Harijan girl is found dead, beside the railway tracks. Her illegitimate baby lies by her side. The baby is rescued and nurtured by a Nair Postman. Neeli was seduced by Sreedharan Nair, a high caste school teacher. The villagers were shocked by the gesture of the postman, a high class Hindu adopting the child of a Harijan. The real father, yearns to fondle his offspring and secretly looks after him, but lacks the courage to disclose the truth. The father and the son are eventually united when Sreedhara Menon, confesses his sin to his child less wife and to the foster father there by breaking the age old caste barrier in a conservative society.

CHEMMEN (THE SHRIMP)
DIRECTOR-RAMU KARYAT
CAMERA-MARQUES BARTLI, V RAJAGOPAL
EDITING HRISHIKESH MUKHERJEE
CAST KOTTARAKKARA, SATYAN, MADHU, SHEELA
AWARDS-PRESIDENT’S GOLD MEDAL

Champankunju (KOTTARAKKARA) is an arrogant ambitious fisherman. He longs to posses a boat of his own. He lends money from Pareekutty (MADHU) a young Muslim trader, on the condition that half of the catch would be sold to him.
Karuthamma daughter of Chanpankunju, falls in love with Pareekutty. She is forced to marry Palani, an orphan from a distant shore. She lives with her husband in a village. The father prospers in business and becomes ruthless. He cheats his friends, marries again when his wife dies, and ill treats his younger daughter Panchami.
Karuthamma leads a happy life but her affair with Pareekutty reaches Palani. Kartuhamma vows that she is pure.
One day Palani, goes fishing. Pareekutty and Karuthamma meet once again. The old love comes to life and they engage in an ecstatic embrace, defying the unbreakable code of chastity. Palani on the sea was baiting a dangerous shark. Kadalamma the Goddess of the Sea takes a terrible vengeance.
SYNOPISIS OF
ANUBHAVANGAL PAALICHAKAL,
MUDIYANAYA PUTRAN,
ODAYIL NINNU,
KADAL PAALAM AND ORU PENINDE KATHA FOLLOW.
[/tscii:b113d62cd1]

MazhaiKuruvi
9th June 2007, 10:12 PM
some interesting tidbits ......sathyan (of Chemmeen fame) was a native Tamil speaker, a fact known to few. The first malayalam film was produced by J.C. Daniel, a Tamilian. The ever popular Tamil actor MGR was a malayali and so is the popular villain Nambiar.

padmanabha
10th June 2007, 07:42 AM
[tscii:e79001e2b7]ANUBHAVANGAL PAALEECHCHAKAL:_
DIRECTOR: K S SETHU MADHAVAN
SCRIPT THOPPIL BHASI
CAMERA MELLI IRANI
MUSIC DEVARAJAN
CAST SATYAN, PREM NAZIR, SHEELA, ADOOR BHASI
PRODUCTION MANJILAS
The story is based on Thakazhi’s novel of the same name. The film recounts the harrowing experience of a conscientious worker who suspects his wife’s fidelity-when she works for her economic independence. He gets involved in a murder leaving his wife and children in lurch.
The wife toils, with the understanding fellow worker a friend of her husband manage to run their livelihood. Hunted by police her husband is forced to change his identity and takes on another name. He is taken care of by another villager whose grown up daughter has an eye on him. Returning home he finds his wife carrying on with his friendly fellow worker and demoralized. He gives himself up to the police.
This is the last film of Satyan.

ODAYIL NINNU:-
DIRECTION K S SETHU MADHAVAN
SCRIPT P KESAVA DEV
MUSIC DEVARAJAN
CAST SATYAN, K R VIJAYA, PREM NAZIR
Pappu a rickshaw puller finds a new direction to his life when he adopts a girl Lekshmi from the gutters. He works hard to provide food, education and every thing for her. Lekshmi grows up to be beautiful woman and weds a rich handsome man Gopi. The couple moved to a new house. Lekshmi invites her foster father to her new house. Pappu refuses. Lekshmi dazzled with her new found high society feels ashamed of her foster father. Gopi, points out her mistakes and makes her realize her false ideals. However it is too late now since Pappu is inflicted by TB.
OOPS-FORGOT THE STORY OF KADAL PAALAM- KNEW ONLY THIS MUCH-PLEASE FILL THE REST-
DIRECTION K S SETHU MADHAVAN
SCRIPT K T MOHAMMED
CAST SATYAN, PREM NAZIR, SHEELA AND JAYA BHARATHI

IN A TWO entirely contracting roles Satyan gives a sterling performance-one as a stern, unbending egoistic, dominating binding father, who only love to possess. The other character is that of a straight forward and warm hearted, defiant person.

[/tscii:e79001e2b7]

padmanabha
13th June 2007, 08:04 PM
[tscii:861b7b3c37]ORU PENNINDE KATHA :-
Director k s sethumadhavan
Script S L PURAM
CAMERA MELLI IRANI
MUSIC DEVARAJAN
CAST SATYAN, SHEELA, UMMAR
PRODUCTION CHITRANJALI
Gayathridevi, returns to village Munnar, to take revenge, against Madhavan Thampi, who is an estate owner, she buys the estate and bungalow, belonging to Madhavan Thampi, withouthis knowledge through his manager. Tis is only, the beginning of the act. She successfully proceeds with her plans and defeats and harasses thampi, in many ways. Finding no other alternative Thampi’s wife secretly approaches Gayathridevi, for mercy. This is the moment that Gayathri narrates the story of her relationship with thampi who had left her giving rise to her remorseless vendetta.

Jalakam
Director harikumar
STORY/DIALOGUE BALACHANDRAN CHULLIKKADU
MUSIC M G RADHA KRISHNAN
LYRICS O N V KURUP
CAMERA JAYAN
PRODUCTION AMMU ARTS
CAST ASOKAN, SRIVIDYA, SOMAN, LALITHA PARVATHI INNOCENT BABU NAMPOOTHIRI
THE STORY REVOLVES AROUND A WOMAN WHOSE HUSBAND A MILITARY MAN POSTED IN RIOT STRICKEN PUNJAB. SHE BEARS THE TORTURES OF HER INLAWS. THEIR SON NEGLECTED BY THEM FINDS SYMPATHY IN HIS COLLEGE GIRL FRIEND. BUT SHE GETS MARRIED TO ANOTHER MAN. FRUSTRATED HE TURNS TO POLITICS. HE IS ADULATED, ADORED, RECOGNIZED BY THE FELLOW MEMBERS OF THE PARTY. HE GRADUATES INTO STALWARTS OF THE POLITICAL PARTY…
SESHAM SCREENIL…(IN FACT I FORGOT THE CLIMAX)
OPPOL: (ELDER SISTER)
DIRECTOR K S SETHU MADHAVAN
STORY M T VASUDEVAN NAIR
CAMERA MADHU AMBAT
EDITING SREENIVASULU
MUSIC M B SREENIVASAN
CAST MENAKA, MASTER ARAVIND, BALAN K NAIR, SANKARADI

THE FILM TELLS THE STORY OF APPU A SIX YEAR OLD BOY. HIS LIFE REVOLVES ROUND MALU WHOM HE KNOWS AS HIS ELDER SISTER. BUT HE IS THE SON OF MALU. MALU ALWAYS GREET HIM WHEN HE RETURNS FROM THE SCHOOL. ONE DAY SHE IS NOT THERE. SENSING SOMETHING WRONG, APPU RUNS TO THE TEMPLE THERE HE SAW MALU BEING MARRIED TO GOVINDAN KUTTY. GOVINDAN OFFERS TO TAKE APPU WITH HIM TO WAYANAD. HE LIKE WAYANAD BUT RESENTS GOVINDANS APPARENT POWER OVER MALU. APPU ATTACKS GOVINDAN. MALU INTERFERES AND GREATLY HURT APPU RUNS AWAY. HE IS FOUND BY NAMBI A TRIBAL BOY APPU HAD BEFIRENDED INSIDE A CAVE. MALU DECIDES TO SATND BY HER CHILD AND LEAVES THE HOUSE WITH APPU.

BHARGAVI NILAYAM:-
DIRECTOR A VINCENT
STORY/SCREEN PLAY VAIKAM MUHAMMED BAHSEER
MUSIC BABURAJ
LYRICS BHASKARAN
CAMERA P BHASKAR RAO
PRODUCTION CHANDRATHARA
CAST PREM NAZIR, MADHU, VIJAYA NIRMALA, P J ANTONY
A MYSTERY SPUN AROUND A MANSION HAUNTED BY A BEAUTIFUL GHOST WOMAN-BHARGAVI
A NOVELIST COMES TO STAY THERE AND CHANCES TO MEET THE GHOST. HE EMBARKS UPON A NEW VENTURE OF WRITING A STORY BASED ON INCIDENTS OF HER TRAGIC PAST. THE STORY-HOW SHE HAD BEEN IN LOVE WITH A POET, HOW IT BOILED DOWN WITH THE INTERFERENCE OF HER COUSIN-IS READ OUT TO THE GHOST BY THE AUTHOR. One night the cousin tries to kill the novelist. In the scuffle they fall in a well and the novelist is helped by the ghost, leaving the villainous cousin to his watery grave.

[/tscii:861b7b3c37]

padmanabha
15th June 2007, 11:00 AM
today is the 37th death anniverasry of SATYAN. SATYAN MEMORIAL LECTURE has been arranged at SATYAN MEMORIAL HALL in Thiruvananthapuram

padmanabha
16th June 2007, 12:24 PM
[tscii:161428aa1b]Madhu:- Madhavan Nair popularly known in the film field as Madhu discard the job as a college lecturer and joined School of Drama. He appeared in the silver screen with the film NINAMANINJA KAALPAADUKAL (BLOOD STAINED FOOT PRINTS) in the year 1963, followed by Moodupadam (the veil).
Malayalam film world then had Satyan, and Nazeer besides Madhu. His performances in Chemmeen and Bhargavi Nilayam are enough to prove his caliber.
Murappennu, Ummachu, Aabhijathyam, Aswamedham, Thulabharam, Swayamvaram, Olavum Theeravum, Enippadikal, etc were a few of the films that discerning viewers would remember.
He has produced children’s film MINI which bagged the State Award. He started a film studio “UMA STUDIO” in Thiruvananthapuram, which houses Asianet Studio complex. He was conferred with the J C Daniel Award for the life long contribution for the Malayalam films.
[/tscii:161428aa1b]

padmanabha
17th June 2007, 02:26 PM
[tscii:3e6d700493]ARANAAZHIKA NAERAM
DIRECTOR K S SETHU MADHAVAN
STORY PAARAPPURATHU
MUSIC DEVARAJAN
LYRICS VAYALAR
CAMERA MELLI IRANI
PRODUCTION MANJILAS
CAST: -TTARAKKARA, SATHYAN, NAZIR, ADOOR BHASI, RAGINI, K P UMMAR, SHEELA, AMBIKA, MEENA.
The gloomy saga of a decadent family as witnessed through the eyes of the grand old Patriarch-Kunjochanam (kottarakkara). We come across an interesting cross section of the family members and are given an insight into the various aspects of their family life. After witnessing many a tragedy and ups and downs the octogenarian is struck with paralysis and loses his power of speech. He then he suffers the rudest shock of his life when he sees his daughter in law carry an affair with an opium dealer. The opium dealer poisons him for fear of their secret being let out if ever he regains his speech. The film ends with the guilt ridden daughter in law committing suicide.

IRUTTINDE ATMAVU
THE SOUL OF DARKNESS
DIRECTOR P BHASKARAN
STORY M T VASUDEVAN NAIR
MUSIC BABURAJ
LYRICS P BHASKARAN
CAMERA E N BALAKRISHNAN
PRODUCTION SONY PICTURES
CAST PREM NAZIR, THIKKURISSI, P J ANTONY, T S MUTTHAIH, BALAJI, CHANDRAN, SHARADA AND USHA KUMARI
Velayudan’s existence poses a problem to all the members of typical Nair joint family. Though he is in early 20s mentally he is a child.
The head of the joint family Velayudan symbolizes the curse which hangs heavy over the house. To his mother he is source of constant sorrow.
His uncle daughter is his bride to be. He is attached to her. She is very kind to him and refuses to treat him as a mad man.
Velayudan triggers problems one after the other and every new lapse help only to put fresh chains. He refuses to feel he is mad.
In the end Ammukutty his would be bride is given away in marriage to an old widower. He surrenders himself and yells “Chain me I am mad”

RANDIDANGAZHI (TWO MEASURES)
DIRECTOR P BHASKARAN
STORY THAKAZHI
MUSIC MADHAVAN NAIR
CAMERA M S MANI
PRODUCTION NEELA
CAST KUMARI, P J ANTONY, D S MUTHIAH, TIKKURISSI, KOTTAKKARA

This film is an authenetic account of the plight of laborers in Kuttanad the peasant movement, the central character Koran and his struggle to assert the legitimate rights of the peasants.
Koran lands up in the fold of tyrannical land lord Yusuf. KORAN ORGANIZES peasant movement to meet the demands encounters a lot of hardships and emerges victorious. The film is a bold comment on the social inequalities of the feudal set up.

YAVANIKA (THE CURTAIN)
DIRECTOR K G GEORGE
SCREEN PLAY S L PURAM
CAMERA RAMACHNADRAN BABU
MUSIC M B SREENIVASAN
PRODUCTION CAROLINA FILMS
CAST GOPI, MAMMOTTY, VENU NAGA VALLI, VENU. TILAKAN JAGATHI, ASHOK
WHAT HAPPENED TO AYYAPPAN THE TABLA PLAYER OF THE BHAVAN TOURING THEATRE GROUP?
The film is not only a thriller but also analyzes the psychological exploration of character and dramatic conflict. It gives a miving account of actors and actress and the sense of closeness and claustrophobia in which they live out their lives.

[/tscii:3e6d700493]

padmanabha
28th June 2007, 06:41 PM
[tscii:e02b5ffa54]

Chidambaram
Director-G Aravindan
STORY C U SREENIVASAN
CAMERA SHAJI KARUN
MUSIC DEVARAJAN
PRODUCTION SURYAKANTHI FILM MAKERS
CAST SMITHA PATIL, GOPI, SREENIVASAN, MOHAN DAS
Sankaran an amateur photographer works in an estate. He had a shady past and to forget the bitter past he engages in photography. Jacob a sincere worker is his supervisor. Muniyandi is the herds’ man.
Muniyandi leaves for Chidambaram. He marries Sivakami. They return to the estate. She finds the place strange. She meets sankaran who also feels alienated in the estate. MUTUAL EMPATHY DEVELOPS INTO A CLOSE RELATIONHSIP. Muniyandi misunderstands them. Also he confides in Jacob. Muniyandi happens to see Snakaran leaving his house through the back door. The next day muniyandi commits suicide. Sankaran blames himself for the tragedy. He leaves the estate and indulges in drinking. Then he decides to visit all holy places. He visits Chidambaram too. After the pooja he returns to take custody of his slippers. Fate darkens his own eyes. His past memories refuse to go…
APRIL 18 (sobhana’s first film)
DIRECTION /STORY-BALACHANDRA MENON
MUISC A T UMMAR
LYRICS BICHU THIRUMALA
CAMERA VIPIN MOHAN
PRODUCTION SANTHESH FILMS
CAST BALACHANDRA MENON, VENU NAGAVALLY, ADOOR BHASI, GOPI, SOBHANA, SANKARADI, ADOOR BHAWANI, SUKUMARY
The family relationship breaks due to outside elements and the final reconciliation. The husband is a dutiful police officer. He least expects his beloved wife to walk out of on unfounded suspicious regarding his clandestine visits to a convicts wife. The convict happens to be his ex friend. Events take a dramatic turn. His father in law secures a legal divorce. Separation makes them realize how much they mean to each other. The lawyer neighbor takes the initiative and the couple runs into each other’s arms making the task of the woman judge easier.

[/tscii:e02b5ffa54]

Shakthiprabha.
22nd April 2008, 02:21 PM
HI ppl

Can someone help me.

I am TIRED of searching for the pic of one mallu actress (some say shez lizy, some say her name must be parvathy etc)

She must have acted in 80z :?

I happen to see a movie, where her cast was with mamooty or mohanlal :? (not sure) The story was, about a 2 year old child who would have fallen into a pit. The whole movie talks about the trauma of how the child escapes and how the family members help the child out of the pit.

I LOVED the movie for its sensible story.

This heroine had the MOST BEAUTIFUL pair of eyes Ive ever seen (like banupriya, she had fish eyes)

I wanna know her name to search for some decent pics of hers.

sivank
22nd April 2008, 02:56 PM
sp, I know one parvathy who is the wife of actor Jayaram. She used to be a top actress in Malayalam before her marriage.

sivank
22nd April 2008, 02:56 PM
Can any one give songs links for the film Chemmeen with Satyan and Sheela

Shakthiprabha.
22nd April 2008, 03:10 PM
Do u have her pics plz :(
This is what my friend said too (jayaram's wife and not sure if shez the one I am looking for )

ksen
22nd April 2008, 03:18 PM
The actress who acted as the bespectacled computer programmer in Vikram was Lizzy if I remember correctly.

sivank
22nd April 2008, 03:31 PM
[tscii:905b7a8548]
Do u have her pics plz :(
This is what my friend said too (jayaram's wife and not sure if shez the one I am looking for )

I don´t know abt. pictures but she acted with Mohanlal in Kireedom as Devi.

There is another parvathi menon a relatively young actress who has acted recently with mohan lal as well[/tscii:905b7a8548]

Shakthiprabha.
22nd April 2008, 03:34 PM
Thank you I shall check for the info.

No ksen, that not that lizy, though she is awesome looking too

Anoushka
22nd April 2008, 04:12 PM
HI ppl

Can someone help me.

I am TIRED of searching for the pic of one mallu actress (some say shez lizy, some say her name must be parvathy etc)

She must have acted in 80z :?

I happen to see a movie, where her cast was with mamooty or mohanlal :? (not sure) The story was, about a 2 year old child who would have fallen into a pit. The whole movie talks about the trauma of how the child escapes and how the family members help the child out of the pit.

I LOVED the movie for its sensible story.

This heroine had the MOST BEAUTIFUL pair of eyes Ive ever seen (like banupriya, she had fish eyes)

I wanna know her name to search for some decent pics of hers. Shakthi: the movie you are talking about is malooty illaya? adhula oorvasi thaanE? If you are talking about Parvathi, then here is a picture of her http://stills4u.blogspot.com/2008/01/parvathy-jayaram-still.html

Anoushka
22nd April 2008, 04:15 PM
Can any one give songs links for the film Chemmeen with Satyan and Sheela http://www.raaga.com/channels/malayalam/movie/M0000144.html

Anoushka
22nd April 2008, 07:09 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VHBhB1C7w4g - video of kadalinakkara pONore

Shakthiprabha.
22nd April 2008, 08:09 PM
I wanna know her name to search for some decent pics of hers. Shakthi: the movie you are talking about is malooty illaya? adhula oorvasi thaanE? If you are talking about Parvathi, then here is a picture of her http://stills4u.blogspot.com/2008/01/parvathy-jayaram-still.html[/quote]

OMGGGGGGGGGGG ANOU

A SEARCH OF 3 YEARS ended today. Though I saw a younger version of hers in that specific movie.

WHAT EYES!!!!!!!!!!!! GODDDDDD!!!!!!

i WISH i could get more of her younger days pic

thnkssssssssss. Would check out her movie now, that I know hername.

and chemeeen nice sogn and movie.

I had danced for this song when I was in my primary school :D

Anoushka
22nd April 2008, 08:14 PM
Shakthi: here is a list of her movies

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0664104/

Shakthiprabha.
22nd April 2008, 08:15 PM
Yeah I got it from imdb only :)
thanks again :)

Wanna see some of her old pics :)

sivank
22nd April 2008, 10:04 PM
Thanks Anou for the link. Enjoyed it vry much

Shakthiprabha
20th July 2009, 02:52 PM
Padmanabha,

Many movies which u have mentioned have arised a unique desire in me to pay any price and watch few movies atleast online.

Iruttinde aatmavu
bhargavi nilayam
oru peninntE katha
Chidambaram
yavanika

are few.

Oppol I think has been remade :roll: with few changes as "chellamE" in tamizh very recently.

AAranazhika neram, thotram and the likes are tooo gloomy for my taste so I am gonna skip it :| T

Aparna is something I think I MAY wanna watch.

I always remember doordharshan telecasting classic telugu, kannada and mallu movies on saturdays 11 am during 70z and early 80s. I was too young to grasp the mallu movies though malyalam movies alone made impact on me. Few classic telugu (except few like shankarabharanam and the likes) movies and VERY few kannada movies made any stamp in my mind.

Mallu movies did have an impact though packed with GLOOM which would linger on for few hours.My mom and me would be watching these movies every saturday. Mom would keep reading some tamil novel and also watch the movie. I would pretend to read some amarchitra katha or ambulimama and steal glances now and then. There wont be any words uttered during the movie or after between me and mom....somehow I could always sense a gloom hanging in the house after MOST mallu movies. I would feel strangely heavy after watching these movies and wont even know why cause, I was too young then and didn't understand an iota of what exactly most mallu movies wanted to convey.

Given a choice may be if I watch 'elipathayam' now I may find a diff perspective and would take a liking too. Ive always been a person who appreciated art movies than commercial ones, however saddened that art mvoies always portray gloom/misery or negative aspects of live.

Herez a story review of one of my fav movie " Chemeen (prawns): " I supp I took a liking to madhu after this movie and always pictured him as a handsome, sad man with a yearning face. I never understood why he looked gloomy or why karuthamma and paree cried every now and then. Now, reading the story I can place things. I am gonna watch it online again.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chemmeen

Story: based on a novel by Thakkzhi s. pillai

Cast: Madhu, Sheela, Sathyan.

Plot:

Chemmeen is set in a fisherfolk community. The fisherfolk beileve that the safe return of a fisherman from the sea depends on the fidelity of his wife waiting for him on shore. This is intertwined with the myth of the "sea-mother", the destroyer and preserver of the community.

Karutthamma (played by Sheila in the movie), the daughter of a fisherman Chembankunju (Kottarakkara), is in love with a fish trader, Pareekkutty (Madhu), who helps her ambitious father buy a boat and net in return for which, Chembankunju promises to sell his catch to Pareekkutty on credit. However Chembankunju dishonors the agreement and forbids Karutthamma and Pareekutty's relationship.

Months later, when a chakara occurs on the shore, Chembankunju meets a young visiting fisherman from the south named Palani (Satyan) and makes Karutthamma marry him. Palani trusts his wife in spite of rumours that she is unfaithful. His reaffirms his trust each time he ventures to the sea and returns home safely. However finally, Pareekkutty has an affair with Karutthamma on the seashore .Palani drowns. Pareekkutty, Karutthamma, and Palani's fish are shown dead on the shore.

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m1310/is_1989_Feb/ai_7546131/

The above (link) article captures the emotional part more vividly.

I liked the part where

"Karuthamma!" Palani's cry rose above the roar of the storm.

Why did he cry out for Karuthamma? The guardian angel of the fisherman at sea is his wife at home. He was begging her to pray for his safety. Didn't the first fisherman come safely home in spite of the storm because of the power of a fisherwoman's prayer? Palani, too, believed he could be saved. He had a wife. She would pray for him. Hadn't she given him her word even the night before?

She promises him fidelity and every time he returns home safely he seals every mouth which leashes against karuthamma. In despair finally he cries "karuthamma" only for split seconds he would have realised she did not keep up his promise and be faithful to him :(

( Why doesn't this fidelity hold good for men I wonder though :| )

I am gonna watch it sometime

Shakthiprabha
20th July 2009, 03:32 PM
Music for the whole album is by saleel chowdry :bow:

Sung by Yesudas :bow: :D :redjump:

kadalina kare ponorE
kaana ponninu ponorE
poy varumbodhendha kondu varum - kai niraiya
poy varumbodhendha kondu varum
pathinaalaam raavile paalaazhith thirayile
malsyakanyakamaarude maanikka kallu tharaamo
oooo ...o....o....

Chandana thoniyile ponore gningaL
poy poy poy varumbdendha kondu varu
vennila poykaiyile vaavum naaLile
pon poo meeninE kondu tharamo?
naadodik kathaiyile nakshathra kadhaiyile
naaganarthakimaar aNiyum
thaanathin muthu tharaamo
ooo..o....o............

Pushpaka thoniEri ponoRe ningaL
poy poy poy varumdhendha kondu varu
maanasa poykayile maayaadweepile
maada praavinE kondu tharamo?
aaathira pandhalil panchami thalikayil
deva-kanyakamaarude omal poo thaali tharamo

Though we do understand the beauuuutiful lyrics (whoz the lyricist I wonder) I wish some mallu person translates this for us :bow: Malayalam is undoubtedly one of THE MOST beautiful languages on earth :bow:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VFI0jUuV53w

Maanasa maine varuu

maanasa maine varuu
madhuram nuLLil tharoo
nin aruma poo vaadiyil nee theduvathaare? aare?

Nilaavinte naattile nishakandhi poothallo
Kali koottukaarane marannu poyo

Kadalile olavum karalile mohavum
Adangukillomane adangukillaa

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ynIA7NDr41I

________

PeNNaaLE peNNaaLE kari meen kaNNaaLE kaNNaaLE
__________________________________________________ _

Pennaale pennaale karimeen kannaale kaanaale
Kanni thaamara poo mole

Pandoru mukkuvan muthinu poyi
Padinjaaran kaatathu mungi poyi
Arayathi pennu thapassirunne
Avane kadalamma kondu vane
Arayan thoniyil poyaale avane kaavalu neeyaane (The belief system is sung to the new bride to inscribe that her fidelity is imp for her spouse's survival)

( I really wish someone translates these songs)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BwppG3Mzpdo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_0ioTXvqCY0&feature=related

puthan valakkare :

(for entire lyrics check

http://vanampaadi.wordpress.com/category/3malayalam-songs-lyrics/chemmeen/

)

directhit
28th July 2009, 07:58 AM
:ty: :)

btw if I say

maanasa mainE varu
madhuram (en?) nuLLil tharu