PDA

View Full Version : COPYING - IN TAMIL FILM HISTORY

Pages : 1 2 3 [4] 5 6

Hulkster
26th September 2006, 06:57 PM
Thamizh ungalakku yega patta musical connections irukku. One thing though that was a blatant lift...the arugment here i feel is that the WHOLE bgm is not a inspiration of johnny BGM...but going by what your saying i guess we might have to agree with Nerd's view then. :exactly:

Alien
26th September 2006, 09:39 PM
what abt the pudhupetai bgm which is used in raaga.com for long!

dondodoi doi dodadai citibank...

yuvan lifted from raaga?
Hey, I was thinking abt it ... :roll: .... What music was it? Where did Raaga &/Yuvan get that from? .... Raaga has been playing that long since ...

And Johnny, I noticed it very recently too... The exact BGM was used in 7G .... :o ....
And who feels Johnny BGM was inspired/similar to BGMs from The good the bad & the ugly ? .... I couldn't help getting that feel when watching Johnny ... Especially when both Rajnis were being chased by police, the BGM there reminded me of TGTBTU ! ... I absolutely love Johnny's BGM & songs ... :P ... One of my top favourite in tamil ... As a whole I may say, it shares the no.1 spot with some other albums ..... 8-)

vasanth2006
27th September 2006, 12:04 PM

yuvan lifted from raaga?

if i am not wrong, after PP's music released (after 5 or 6 days), they used that music in raaga.com. those who heared pp music very late feels that in the reverse manner. it is already discussed here.

thamizhvaanan
27th September 2006, 01:40 PM
Thamizh ungalakku yega patta musical connections irukku Orutharoda indirect'a connection irundha kooda yegapatta connections aagiduma hulku? :lol2: :notthatway: enakku yaaraiyum theriyadhu :D

sentsbu1
27th September 2006, 07:23 PM
People complain about Yuvan's inspiration or the lift of music from other songs...

Even A.R.Rahman did it in Taal...for the Raaga Dance track the beginning part of the song was a absolute lift...

I even posted this message sometime before too...

The music was actually lifted from Jackie Chan's movie First Strike...

MADDY
27th September 2006, 08:02 PM
People complain about Yuvan's inspiration or the lift of music from other songs...

Even A.R.Rahman did it in Taal...for the Raaga Dance track the beginning part of the song was a absolute lift...

I even posted this message sometime before too...

The music was actually lifted from Jackie Chan's movie First Strike...

can u pls repost the links??? thanx....

MADDY
27th September 2006, 08:05 PM

yuvan lifted from raaga?

if i am not wrong, after PP's music released (after 5 or 6 days), they used that music in raaga.com. those who heared pp music very late feels that in the reverse manner. it is already discussed here.

i have heard that music in raaga.com last december only.......infact we in office use to make fun of citibank ad......i remember it pretty well......

then how come that same music was used in Lays ad with Saif on it??? i cant beleive that both raaga and Lays copied u1's tune.....that's pretty far fetched.....

sentsbu1
27th September 2006, 08:47 PM
Im afraid i dont have the link for the background music of the First Strike movie...

if anyone had to see the movie, I can tell you the scence in which it comes...

the scene where Jackie Chan gets trapped inside a water, and there will be a shark coming to attack him...that is the time the background music of it comes as the beggining part of the song...

My main point of all this is, there is not point in complaining each other...

Im not saying copying is right, but is just the quality and the ability of the music director...

Ramakrishna
27th September 2006, 09:04 PM

yuvan lifted from raaga?

i have heard that music in raaga.com last december only.......infact we in office use to make fun of citibank ad......i remember it pretty well......

then how come that same music was used in Lays ad with Saif on it??? i cant beleive that both raaga and Lays copied u1's tune.....that's pretty far fetched.....

Actually that tune is an african tune. All the three u1, lays ad and Raaga copied.

Alien
27th September 2006, 09:12 PM
Rama, urs is more plausible .... :) ... as I can remember listening to that music in raaga even well before December ...
Guys, I ain't complaining here ... Frankly speaking I don't really mind , I welcome it .. 8-) . (Not HJs multi-rehashes tho)

music man
27th September 2006, 10:37 PM
Hi friends!!!!!!!! This is regarding one song in Parasuram-"Muppathu Nimidam"..This song comes as BGM in the movie "May Madham". Though I had noticed this several times,this is the first time I am telling it here..This cannot be termed as a copy because both are ARR's works and he has the right to develop it any way..May madham was one of Rahman's earliest movies and his "Parasuram" came before 4 0r 5 years.. Its interesting tat Rahman had tat tune deep in his mind and had brought to life in Parasuram..Did any one notice this BGM in May Madham??

MADDY
28th September 2006, 02:08 AM
Hi friends!!!!!!!! This is regarding one song in Parasuram-"Muppathu Nimidam"..This song comes as BGM in the movie "May Madham". Though I had noticed this several times,this is the first time I am telling it here..This cannot be termed as a copy because both are ARR's works and he has the right to develop it any way..May madham was one of Rahman's earliest movies and his "Parasuram" came before 4 0r 5 years.. Its interesting tat Rahman had tat tune deep in his mind and had brought to life in Parasuram..Did any one notice this BGM in May Madham??

that's ARR speciality i guess.......i guess he has a database of tunes from which he uses for BGM.......they might appear as song in a future movie but never i have seen song tune used as BGM in a later movie......

ex:
raakozhi rendum (uzhavan) tune was used in Roja's BGM.......
Gentleman's robbery scene BGMs were used as "muthamittadha" song in Pavithra......
and many more examples, these can be detected only by ARR fans though... :wink:

Nerd
29th September 2006, 12:19 AM
http://saawan.wordpress.com/2006/08/30/the-black-eyed-peas-indian-connection/

balaji
2nd October 2006, 07:27 PM
This might be old news

Yesterday I was listening to 2 songs back to back and found them quiet similar

MSV -'Ennai Vittal' from Naalai Namadhe

ARR - "ROja Roja' from Kadhal Something..

Did anyone find the similarity

Bala

app_engine
2nd October 2006, 07:45 PM
Balaji,
I think this was discussed earlier in DF - `rojA rojA rojA rojA' = 'koduththa sandhangaLil un manadhai nee aRiya nAn uraippEn' part of `sippi irukkudhu' song of vaRumaiyin niRam sivappu...

ARR has his own style to pay tribute to the master:-)

Hulkster
17th October 2006, 06:53 PM
I think everyone knows that nenjodu kalanthidu of KK is inspired from the prelude of a irish track as listed by itwofs.com....but i took another listen to nenjodu kalanthidu and i feel that the tune might not be fully inspired by the irish track after listening to nenjodu kalanthidu and idhu kadhal enbadha from pudhiya mugam(ARR) side by side.

I feel that that the opening lines of both songs and the anbae(Nenjodu Kalanthidu)..sol manamae(Idhu Kadhal Enbadha) part are very similar...anyone also feels the same way? :D

Vysar
18th October 2006, 03:20 AM
I was watching "Midnight Express" the other day. It is a movie about an American who was held in a turkish prison for trafficing drug eventually escaped and it is a true story. Our Bala ripped the mental asylum scene for Sethu and the emotional climax scene in Pithamagan where Vikram attacks the villain from one of the scenes in this movie.

Vysar
21st October 2006, 02:15 AM
Rang de Basanti is loosely based on the comedy movie Air Heads

http://efilmcritic.com/review.php?movie=760&reviewer=1

inetk
21st October 2006, 10:28 AM
No, it is not. Any movie where a radio station is hijacked is not a source for RDB.

If at all inspired, its inspired by a Canadian French production, 'Jesus de Montreal'. The French film was about a group of students' attempt to do a play on the life of Jesus and take it a bit too seriously. I would call it inspired in theme since there's not a single scene lifted directly. Its almost like the Director imbibing the basic premise of the French film and recreating it completely from scratch in an Indian context.

http://imdb.com/title/tt0097635/

dinesh2002
23rd October 2006, 07:28 AM
I think everyone knows that nenjodu kalanthidu of KK is inspired from the prelude of a irish track as listed by itwofs.com....but i took another listen to nenjodu kalanthidu and i feel that the tune might not be fully inspired by the irish track after listening to nenjodu kalanthidu and idhu kadhal enbadha from pudhiya mugam(ARR) side by side.

I feel that that the opening lines of both songs and the anbae(Nenjodu Kalanthidu)..sol manamae(Idhu Kadhal Enbadha) part are very similar...anyone also feels the same way? :D

maby slightly,but i think mabby coz both might be from the same raag or sumthing... and mabby u felt it more coz both were sung by Sujatha :wink:

Shankar
23rd November 2006, 11:14 PM
mellisai from Mr. Romeo is inspired from a classical music piece Bolero (Ravel)...I was playing this classical CD, and when Bolero started, i realized the first 6 bars are copied, and of course, after that the tune takes its own course.

But the main melody (the flute motif, and the beginning of the stanzas) are definitely lifted from Bolero.

Billgates
23rd November 2006, 11:26 PM
The theme music in Anpavam is a straight lift from one Brazilian samba music . I immediately realized the moment the brazilian son g was played . Shocking .Wonder how even IR has silently copied some from western :shock:
More shocking is that when Anpavam was released , IR was already peaking but why did he lift ?

rocketboy
23rd November 2006, 11:39 PM
BillGates, please substantiate your claim. Can you give me the links for both the songs ?

bulb_mani
24th November 2006, 12:33 AM
Plagiarism In Indian Film Music : Database

1. Ar Rahman - http://www.itwofs.com/tamil-arr.html

2. Ilayaraja - http://www.itwofs.com/tamil-ir.html

3. Deva - http://www.itwofs.com/tamil-deva.html

4. Karthik Raja - http://www.itwofs.com/tamil-kr.html

5. Yuvan Shankar Raja - http://www.itwofs.com/tamil-yuvan.html

The complete list of plagiarism with the original sample and plagiarized sample are given in this link :

http://www.itwofs.com/

dinesh2002
24th November 2006, 07:21 AM
mellisai from Mr. Romeo is inspired from a classical music piece Bolero (Ravel)...I was playing this classical CD, and when Bolero started, i realized the first 6 bars are copied, and of course, after that the tune takes its own course.

But the main melody (the flute motif, and the beginning of the stanzas) are definitely lifted from Bolero.

where is the link of the audio to suport ur statment???!!

rra
24th November 2006, 09:04 AM
Bill Gates: I am not surprised by your discovery. A few years back there was an obituary in The Hindu on noted food historian Achaya (my spelling is suspect!). In that a mention was made about the proficiency of Achaya in WCM and that he used to play quite often in the choir. A passing mention was made by the author of how Achaya used to point out the then many hits of IR were based on Latin American music. so probably there are quite a few more waiting to be discovered!!
rra

Shankar
24th November 2006, 09:57 AM
>>>>
<<<<

If you know how to use google, go and search for Ravel and Bolero. I can't rip my cd and upload it anywhere.

dinesh2002
24th November 2006, 12:11 PM
>>>>
<<<<

If you know how to use google, go and search for Ravel and Bolero. I can't rip my cd and upload it anywhere.

u want to proof ur statement,u PROVIDE the respected articels/bits.... if ur not willing to, :shhh: :wave:

rajasaranam
24th November 2006, 03:43 PM
Bill Gates: I am not surprised by your discovery. A few years back there was an obituary in The Hindu on noted food historian Achaya (my spelling is suspect!). In that a mention was made about the proficiency of Achaya in WCM and that he used to play quite often in the choir. A passing mention was made by the author of how Achaya used to point out the then many hits of IR were based on Latin American music. so probably there are quite a few more waiting to be discovered!!
rra

Here is a link for that article on Achaya
http://www.hinduonnet.com/thehindu/seta/2002/09/26/stories/2002092600010200.htm

I tried listening to some brazilian samba and bossa nova songs in net.
Here is a link from it can be downloaded
http://music.download.com/ajacaranda/3600-9054-100835985.html?tag=MDL_quickurl&jFunc=playList&jParam=artist-100835985&name=All%20songs%20by%20A%20Jacarand%E1

The guitar usage in the tracks from above definitely resembles some works of IR. Especially the track 'Um abrao no bofna' is similar to the guitar ludes of 'Ilaya nila pozhigirathu'. But it can also be concluded that He was fascinated by the style/genre and adapted it in his own way.
We cant say that he has lifted unless there are some definite pointers Other wise Guitar prasanna wouldnt have placed the name of Raaja Alongside thyagaraja/beethoven in his website :notworthy:

OTOH it should be interesting to study on how much Raaja has listened to world music and incorporated them in his compositions. That should be a revelation to many!

MrJudge
24th November 2006, 07:00 PM
Shankar,

is this the one you are talking about?
Bolera is available at:

http://www.last.fm/music/Maurice+Ravel/_/Bolero

dinesh2002
24th November 2006, 07:21 PM
Shankar,

is this the one you are talking about?
Bolera is available at:

http://www.last.fm/music/Maurice+Ravel/_/Bolero

thanks !!!! atleast ur giving the link...... 8-)

kingvj
25th November 2006, 12:35 AM
Can someone point which track they're referring to as the Aanpaavam lift?

Hulkster
25th November 2006, 09:52 AM
Ilaya Nila is latino guitar styled track..i believe spanish guitar style has more resemblance but you can notice the indianised style in ilaya nila differentiating from the latin guitar styles. Aan Paavam does not even seem samba like in the first place...it has more of a tamil pathos feel with veenai in good usage..i believe you must be talking about a song rather than the theme music.

I listened to bolero as well...i believe the part where the first stanza suddenly drops in tempo and drags towards the second stanza seems familiar with mellisiyae but mellisai has a faster tempo and less of dragging.

:D

Shankar
25th November 2006, 11:36 AM
>>>>>>>
u want to proof ur statement,u PROVIDE the respected articels/bits.... if ur not willing to, Shhh
<<<<<<<

I am not here to prove any thing right or wrong...I quoted facts, if you wanna take it, take. I am not gonna waste my time proving to someone I don't even care about.

I never asked you to believe it, did I.

Judge,
This is indeed the piece...Anyone can figure out the portions of mellisai - partially inspired, partially lifted.

Shankar
25th November 2006, 11:39 AM
Hulkster,
The first few bars are exactly the same. Pls check.

Hulkster
25th November 2006, 11:48 AM
Yes there is inspiration but i certainly dunt think its a lift...the inspiration is when the first part of the music pauses and then drags on to the second part..:D

dinesh2002
25th November 2006, 04:56 PM
>>>>>>>
u want to proof ur statement,u PROVIDE the respected articels/bits.... if ur not willing to, Shhh
<<<<<<<

I am not here to prove any thing right or wrong...I quoted facts, if you wanna take it, take. I am not gonna waste my time proving to someone I don't even care about.

I never asked you to believe it, did I.

wut a logic & wut an attitude....phew !!! :frightened:

dinesh2002
25th November 2006, 04:57 PM
Yes there is inspiration but i certainly dunt think its a lift...the inspiration is when the first part of the music pauses and then drags on to the second part..:D

hulkster....vidhu vidhu.... for them everything ARR has simularity even in term withmusic arrangements with others is pure lift for them....ignore & lets move on!!! 8-)

Billgates
25th November 2006, 05:03 PM
Kanmalargalin azaipidhal ( Thaipongal ) is a clear case of photo copying from Money money money ...in the rich man's world :lol:

Thanks to IR again :roll:

Hulkster
27th November 2006, 04:23 PM
Kanmalargalin azaipidhal ( Thaipongal ) is a clear case of photo copying from Money money money ...in the rich man's world :lol:

Thanks to IR again :roll:

Yenakku ennamo neenga IRai fulla nongu nongu nu adikaamal vida matteinga nu ninaikiraen..yaen evalo veruppu? :? Anyways it wunt diminish IR's great talent and his masterclass composing techniques with nothing but wind,HTNI and add to it TIS :D

Hulkster
27th November 2006, 04:24 PM
hulkster....vidhu vidhu.... for them everything ARR has simularity even in term withmusic arrangements with others is pure lift for them....ignore & lets move on!!! 8-)

I am not trying to support ARR or the people who accuse him...from a neutral point of view i cannot find a similarity between those songs except for the part i mentioned...a faint inspiration at the least...lets just leave it here and continue listening to their songs..thats better :D

njv
28th November 2006, 09:22 AM
rra

There are 3 craps here.

1. The Hindu - Probably they needed somebody to fill in some sh1t.

2. D. Balasubramanian - Delivered the sh1t stinklessly (my spelling is suspect!). He probably know this local "mooligai vaithiyar" and decided to upgrade him to "gastronome scientist" . Look at this guy begging for a padmabushan for the "gastronome scientist". Thank god he didnt ask for Oscar!

3. "gastronome scientist" - not sure if I should blame him, but if he really said that IR lifted from Latin american songs, I am sure he must have taken his own medicine!

The guy who says idli is not indian wont bother to say ir lifted from latin american music or for that matter thiruvalluvar lifted thirukkural from some "ancient american" poet! - Move on guys. :lol:

sloshed
28th November 2006, 09:45 AM
njv,

u rock dude... one of the few posts around which made me grin from ear to ear...

good one..

dinesh2002
17th December 2006, 05:53 PM
Iruvathu Vayathu - Arasatchi [Starting opening]

http://www.musicindiaonline.com/p/x/iqfgzs3gM9.As1NMvHdW/

Bailamore - Kadhal Virus [Starting opening]

http://www.musicindiaonline.com/p/x/5J2g0pdYgd.As1NMvHdW/

ok va ambi??? NEXT!!!!! :lol2:

dinesh2002
17th December 2006, 05:54 PM
ohh yea...and later on ,Iruvathu Vayathu song will move into Melisaiye - Mr Romeo's tune.... :P

Purinjirucho ambi?! 8-)

bulb_mani
17th December 2006, 05:59 PM
A.R. Rahman's Thilana Thila from Muthu

http://www.itwofs.com/audio/thillana-muthu.rm

Deep Forest's "Night Bird"
http://www.itwofs.com/audio/NightBird_DeepForest.rm

Opening humming is copied :lol2:

ok va thambi :lol2:

dinesh2002
17th December 2006, 06:10 PM
Ikkadhu Chudhu

http://www.itwofs.com/audio/StrangerInBlack-Anniyan.rm

http://www.itwofs.com/audio/Resurrection-PassionOfChrist.rm

33 Stranger in Black theme [Film: Anniyan (2005)] <TC>
Composer: Harris Jeyaraj
Inspired by John Debney's 'Resurrection' from the OST of The Passion of the Christ (2004)
Listen to Stranger in Black theme | Resurrection
Even though Harris has used enough elements to make his theme unique the similarities are glaring!

Yeppedi ;) ;)..... NEXT!!!

cadburyboy
17th December 2006, 06:11 PM
Iruvathu Vayathu - Arasatchi [Starting opening]

http://www.musicindiaonline.com/p/x/iqfgzs3gM9.As1NMvHdW/

Bailamore - Kadhal Virus [Starting opening]

http://www.musicindiaonline.com/p/x/5J2g0pdYgd.As1NMvHdW/

ok va ambi??? NEXT!!!!! :lol2:

Great lift i guess.....

cadburyboy
17th December 2006, 06:18 PM
oh my god...vy2 funny la dinesh u..techno beat is a lift ha...ask arr whether its a lift or not....

wel, wats about anniyan theme....when arr can lift untouchables theme for baba theme, y cant HJ????dun say arasacthi theme sounds like baba theme.....its a pity then....

wel, i dowan ha talk about old crack stories here...i have talked enuf about copying/inspiration in many forums......so, u keep on posting dinesh...gud work...

rashid2raj
17th December 2006, 07:56 PM
A.R. Rahman's Thilana Thila from Muthu

http://www.itwofs.com/audio/thillana-muthu.rm

Deep Forest's "Night Bird"
http://www.itwofs.com/audio/NightBird_DeepForest.rm

Opening humming is copied :lol2:

ok va thambi :lol2:

It's a public avaible loop, ... :roll:

How about HJ copying Michael Jacksons Smooth Criminal, in Sainikudu, for Go go Adhigo.. What a shame..

cadburyboy
17th December 2006, 08:18 PM
[/quote]It's a public avaible loop, ... :roll:

How about HJ copying Michael Jacksons Smooth Criminal, in Sainikudu, for Go go Adhigo.. What a shame..[/quote]

Well, copying MJ is not something new...Even HJ noes that ppl will come 2 noe about it...u justify!!!same goes 2 orugapilla frm sainikudu....

Even Arr must realised when he composes Jeans theme music bearing similaries with Will You Be There and Yakkai Thiri with Tatu's Not Gonna Get u.....

There must be a reason rite????justify!!!!

interz
23rd January 2007, 03:32 AM
Unnale Unnale (2007) - Hello miss imsai, aanantha thollaiye, akkarai pachaiye penne,
Vizhi enna pasiya??, veerome?? jolliya?? ,eamaarum raasiye aanaean

Gajendra (2004) - Erumbu onnu , Ennai vanthu , ennanamo pannuthaiyaa, nee irunthum, bayam illamaal, engengayo pooghuthaiya

http://www.raaga.com/channels/tamil/movie/T0000870.html

:wink:

selvakumar
25th January 2007, 02:54 PM
Dear Friends,
I have one important thing to share. I am not sure whether this has been posted already or not. Yesterday I was watching "Agni Natchathiram". In that, in one scene the BGM resembled the popular album "Crazy Frog" 100% and it was playing for more than 3 minutes :shock:

From here, I find that "Crazy Frog" (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crazy_Frog) 's first version was created in 1997. I am sure that "Agni Natchathiram" got released before 1997.

Does that mean "crazy Frog" theme was copied from IR's BGM?
or
Does that mean both of them were inspired by the same source ?

In the original animation, the character imitates the hand movements required to rotate the twistgrip controls of a motorcycle while making the sound of an engine ignition. As the imaginary engine starts, the character begins to levitate as exhaust fumes are discharged from his body. The character then disappears into the distance at high speed.

You can hear this popular theme right from the scene in which Amala starts to smoke.

P.S: I dont have any knowledge in music. But I found this as something which is an exact copy !
:)

Some one might have observed this much before. IF yes, please leave it :)

Renault
25th January 2007, 03:23 PM
The chorus chant we hear in the end credits of the movie Guru resembles Viru Viru maandi Virumani.. any takers?

MrJudge
25th January 2007, 05:12 PM
Also in the preview, there is this rain song, aish's solo song i guess, has the same beats of 'sil sil mazhaiye' from Arinthum ariyamalum. I haven't heard the full song, anyone listened to it, please comment.

app_engine
25th January 2007, 10:25 PM
selvakumar,
I remember seeing the Amala smoking scene in some TV program (as I've not watched agni*)...The music played there is not by IR, but a very popular instrumental piece of 80's...(I used to love that piece whenever Radio Australia featured it in my college days)... do not remember the artist:-(

Those days it was not uncommon for the films to have some BoneyM song or ABBA song getting played as BGM for some scenes depicting "sophisticated people with hi-fly lifestyles"...may not be even the MD's choice, it may be the decision of the director himself or jointly by the team, like they do for special effects / voice dubbing etc.

In any case, it was a original being played from a cassette / CD and not by IR...should not be called copy / inspiration etc. (It's much like Cheran playing a number of old cinema songs in thavamAi thavamirundhu)

If there's any link to the original or crazy frog, can someone please post?

MADDY
26th January 2007, 02:51 AM
In any case, it was a original being played from a cassette / CD and not by IR...should not be called copy / inspiration etc. (It's much like Cheran playing a number of old cinema songs in thavamAi thavamirundhu)

If there's any link to the original or crazy frog, can someone please post?

thats one good explanation from app......yes selva, that piece was meant to be shown like playing from the music system in the movie.......just like "Fanaa" song was played in Manmadhan(YSR's movie :wink: ) in one of the scenes....

ajaybaskar
27th January 2007, 01:47 PM
Also in the preview, there is this rain song, aish's solo song i guess, has the same beats of 'sil sil mazhaiye' from Arinthum ariyamalum. I haven't heard the full song, anyone listened to it, please comment.

Sil Sil Mazhayae itself is a fusion of ARR's Chinna chinna Mazhaithuli and Dil to pagal hai's Koi ladki hai...

MrJudge
27th January 2007, 03:35 PM
Sil Sil Mazhayae itself is a fusion of ARR's Chinna chinna Mazhaithuli and Dil to pagal hai's Koi ladki hai...

chinna chinna mazhaithuli? name of the movie please.

interz
27th January 2007, 04:29 PM
Chinna Chinna Mazhaithuli is from En Swaasa Kaatrae.

MrJudge
27th January 2007, 07:50 PM

I don't find any traces of chinna chinna in sil sil mazhaiye. What are the things you find common in both songs? But the Guru song has the same beats of sil sil mazhaiye. Looks like it is copied.

MrJudge
27th January 2007, 07:59 PM
I listened to the dil to pagal hai song at raaga. the audio quality is poor but still I don't think it has the same beats of sil sil mazhaiye.

kingvj
28th January 2007, 04:47 PM
not sure if this has been posted earlier...

'dai namma melam' from Pattiyal has this bass guitar following the song throughout, which is 99.952% re-use of bass guitar from 'Wannabe' by Spicegirls... !

smss_engineer
14th February 2007, 07:49 PM
Guys!

Chinna chinna mazhaithuli (En swasa katre) is actually inspired from "Chitira sevvaanam sirikka kandene" from Katrinile varum geetham (1979), i think by IR.

smss_engineer
14th February 2007, 07:57 PM
And what about the following song by Copy king Deva

Konja naal poru thalaiva (Nerukku ner)

Thannanthanimaiyile (from ????) sung by PSuseela.

Only the starting two lines

Hulkster
15th February 2007, 10:03 AM
sms_engineer sir..the song seems to be only similar on the first line but the following stanza after the chitirai sevvanam goes pacey while chinna chinna mazhaithuli stretches the melody in it...quite different :D

Guys i was wondering if the starting lines of vachukkava vachukkava from M Kumaran S/O Mahalakhsmi is inspired from pattukku patteduppen from man vaasanai.

smss_engineer
15th February 2007, 07:35 PM
Dear Hulkster,

Yes only the starting lines (Verse),

i think ARR avoids hearing his predecessors' often, but if he seems to get the idea from theirs, he did his creativeness!, and this is not quite often, sometimes he couldn't avoid the inspiration (whether this can be due to the perceived music in our mind from our childhood?). we also cannot and nobody!

smss_engineer
15th February 2007, 07:35 PM
Dear Hulkster,

Yes only the starting lines (Verse),

i think ARR avoids hearing his predecessors' often, but if he seems to get the idea from theirs, he did his creativeness!, and this is not quite often, sometimes he couldn't avoid the inspiration (whether this can be due to the perceived music in our mind from our childhood?). we also cannot and nobody!

Osho
16th February 2007, 12:33 AM
Joshu sridhar had done it this time. His song "Mugilae", is definetely copied from James Taylors "Copperline"

Use youtube to search for copperline or follow this link

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gZiYnvyU_cU

Osho
16th February 2007, 12:43 AM
Guys, Hear the brilliant "road to nash vegas" by Dan Tminsky (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lvl0S1CY9LQ) .

I have heared the guitar pieces being used in tfm either in some interludes or as a background score. Cant figure out who did it. Any ideas?

kingvj
18th February 2007, 07:04 AM
And what about the following song by Copy king Deva

Konja naal poru thalaiva (Nerukku ner)

Thannanthanimaiyile (from ????) sung by PSuseela.

Only the starting two lines

that song is a rehash of 'subaraagaamey.. en sugabogam neeyey' from AanPaavam.

karthik_sa2
22nd February 2007, 05:10 PM
guyz
i felt there is a slight resemblance in the song "ore kanaa" from guru and the lines "namashivaya vazga.." from the song polla vinayaen <thiruvasagam>

Nakeeran
22nd February 2007, 05:40 PM
Kingvj

Konja naal poru T is a milder version of Anandha bhairavi . So, you might feel the similarity whenever you listen to such songs composed based on the raga

app_engine
23rd February 2007, 03:24 AM
The malayALam song 'Ezhilam pAla' from the film kAdu seemed to be in Raja's subconscious mind when he composed `sindhu nadhikkarai Oram' for nalladhoru kudumbam. (The malayALam song has been reproduced in Thamizh also - `neelmAm kadalalaiyil' in the movie malai nAttu mangai - recently featured in SOTD of dhool.com).

The similarities are easily identifiable in the saraNam parts.

Ezhilam pAla link:
http://www.musicindiaonline.com/music/malayalam/s/movie_name.3496/

Sindhu nadhikkarai Oram:
http://music.cooltoad.com/music/song.php?id=136430

Hulkster
23rd February 2007, 08:13 AM
engine sir...after listening to the songs...the similarities might have been there in the first listening..but after repeated listenings...the ezhilam pala song has suseela singing in a more expressionable tone..there is more flamboyance..while sindhu nadikkarai oram has her voice sounding moderated with a more broader tone.

Sindhu Nadikkarai Oram (Pause) Anthi Neram while the ezhilam pala song's saranam has no pause at all it just drags on and on and the most similar part where she says devi malaiyil has a softer and longer tone at the second part while the tones are similar for all three parts (the part which has antha devan paadinaal) for the sindhu nadikkarai oram song.

I guess suseela singing the song and the similar lyrics used for the sindhu nadikkarai oram song brings the nostalgia effect...high possibility that raja would have remade the song as well :?

thinkfloyd
23rd February 2007, 03:13 PM
Dunno if its already been mentioned here. Was watching a bit of Virudh last week. One BGM piece from this is used in VV (at many places).. a piece of music indicating sadness... a violin bit...

app_engine
23rd February 2007, 09:21 PM
Hulkster, I mentioned that the similarities are more in saraNam:-) (whereas your analysis focusses on pallavi... the inspiration may be there but not so apparent)...

Hulkster
24th February 2007, 07:25 AM
Wokay enginer sir :D...but thats the only part where there was similarity in the song...could not find similarities in the other parts of the songs.

inetk
25th February 2007, 09:13 PM
Just in case someone's interested...added the original of Nammavar's hit song, 'Sorgam enbadhu namakku' last week.

www.itwofs.com (direct to link to song (http://www.itwofs.com/audio/LittleBittyPrettyOne-ThurstonHarris.rm))

Karthik

app_engine
14th March 2007, 07:12 PM
Recognition for a fellow DF'er by "THE HINDU":
http://www.hindu.com/mp/2007/03/14/stories/2007031400110100.htm

Congrats Karthik (inetk)! vAzhga! thodarka um paNi!

Hulkster
14th March 2007, 07:49 PM
Would like to ask karthik this...what does inetk stand for? :oops:

Yeap lets celebrate..if not for him we would not have realised the mass inspirations/lifts in film music
and just walked on thinking its just a heard before tune..:clap: :notworthy:

selvakumar
14th March 2007, 08:28 PM
/ dig

Kaarthi - unga photo vayum paarthaachu :lol:

Anyway - Keep up the good work !! :thumbsup:

Hulk - inetk > InterNet Karthik :oops: ??
/ dig

Sanjeevi
14th March 2007, 09:39 PM
one or two months back India Today tamil magazine (don't know about english edition) mentioned the same.

karthik :clap:,

when did you start this website exactly?

inetk
15th March 2007, 06:47 AM
Sanjeevi:

Didnt know about the India Today write-up! Would it be possible to trace the issue date, by any chance?

I started the site more than 5 years ago. It was in assorted free servers like Geocities and another spanish free server called iespana for a long time, before I bought my own domain and server space.

inetk is indeed internet karthik...I know...it does sound rather cheesy but I was looking for a nickname that I can use across all free email IDs/ websites and only this was available!

Karthik

Hulkster
15th March 2007, 09:21 AM
Wokays...vaazhga internet karthik :clap:

dinesh2002
15th March 2007, 10:27 AM
Yes Karthik !! im so happy for u... and thanks to u, we r able to know who copied wut ... but still u havent include inside India's copy bits..... :) mabby u should start a page for Copies inside India... u will find more SHOCKING copies :D

thumburu
15th March 2007, 03:00 PM
May be this has been already pointed out here.
HJ's "un siripinil" from the recent film "Pachhai kiLi muthucharam" seems to be a shameless rip off from "malargaLe malargaLe" from Yuvan's "Pudukkottai Saravanan"

app_engine
19th March 2007, 11:50 PM
Listened to 'suttum vizhichchudarE' (gajini) for the first time...some part seems to be inspired from an old IR BGM in the BR movie tik-tik-tik...(this piece was available on the `ninaivellAm nithyA' LP record...)

rayan36
20th March 2007, 09:29 AM
Listened to 'suttum vizhichchudarE' (gajini) for the first time...some part seems to be inspired from an old IR BGM in the BR movie tik-tik-tik...(this piece was available on the `ninaivellAm nithyA' LP record...)

To me it sounded like nooru nooru from Indiran Chandiran (IR)

rajdes
20th March 2007, 09:46 AM
Dont know if its been discussed here. I think the filler in VIjay TV's kalakka povadhu yaaru(which has some strange plaintive "saroja saaman nikaal" as a opening salvo- sounds dubious anyway!) is followed by a prelude that directly leads me to "ooru Vittu ooru vandhu". Is it another remix? Who is it this time?

rsubras
21st March 2007, 02:16 PM
heard a Parachute ad (featuring Yuvraj singh and one model guy).. The music used sounded similar to Thillumullu BGM.. Anyone feels the same???

vasanth2006
21st March 2007, 08:32 PM
May be this has been already pointed out here.
HJ's "un siripinil" from the recent film "Pachhai kiLi muthucharam" seems to be a shameless rip off from "malargaLe malargaLe" from Yuvan's "Pudukkottai Saravanan"

Yes.I Already posted the same in another thread.

Even "karu karu" song - PKMC interlude has the shades of interlude of "ithu porkalama" - 7GRC.

one of the UU song has the shades of bala song. < i already posted this also>

crvenky
24th March 2007, 09:53 AM
I watched Pachaikkili Muthucharam. In one place, Harris has suttufied the theme music of Beautiful Mind (the place when they come to settle in Hyderabad). I dont know how many other copying he has done in other places.

Vysar
27th March 2007, 09:34 PM
HJ swiped Forrest Gump theme too in Pachaikili. He is not the only one copying the BGM from English movies all current crop MDs do it with ease.

tophilis
1st April 2007, 11:23 PM
The song Jalsa from the movie chennai 600028 esp. the remix sounds more like the classic senthamizh thenmozhiya...

tophilis
1st April 2007, 11:24 PM
The song June Ponaal is a confirmed rip off from All Rise by Blue.

nemesis786
1st April 2007, 11:42 PM
heard a Parachute ad (featuring Yuvraj singh and one model guy).. The music used sounded similar to Thillumullu BGM.. Anyone feels the same???

yes it does :?

tophilis
2nd April 2007, 09:47 AM
The RR from the scene where suriya is chased by a policeman in traffic in ghajini is the theme from Matrix. I am not sure which one but its either Navras or Monalisa Overdrive.

tophilis
2nd April 2007, 10:13 AM
Talking about lifts here is a list of tamil movies inspired from english films.

Khaaka Khaaka - NARC, Se7en
Kannathil Muthamittaal - Saving Private Ryan
Tenali - What about Bob?
Puthupettai, Nayagan - Godfather
Gajini - Memento
Mounam Pesiyathe - Sixth Sense ( the way it ends)
Raam - The Lesson of Her Death by Jeffery Deaver
M. Kumaran - Snatch ( the last fight is ditto)

will add later

Sanjeevi
2nd April 2007, 01:31 PM
Sanjeevi:

Didnt know about the India Today write-up! Would it be possible to trace the issue date, by any chance?

I started the site more than 5 years ago. It was in assorted free servers like Geocities and another spanish free server called iespana for a long time, before I bought my own domain and server space.

inetk is indeed internet karthik...I know...it does sound rather cheesy but I was looking for a nickname that I can use across all free email IDs/ websites and only this was available!

Karthik

Finally i got the issue, it was Nov 1, 2006 issue.

PM ur mail-id if you want image of that page

selvakumar
2nd April 2007, 02:33 PM
Brother,
We would love to see that India Today write-up !
:roll:

Sanjeevi
2nd April 2007, 02:56 PM
selva - it may come in karthi's website :)

zz
3rd April 2007, 05:34 PM
>>>Kannathil Muthamittaal - Saving Private Ryan

This is absurd... Boss have you watched SPR..come on just because there is a war scene in KM it doesn't mean that it is SPR..

Have you got any idea what you are talking about?.....

>>>will add later

What ???? more such..BS?

inetk
4th April 2007, 03:12 PM
Thanks Sanjeevi, for the India Today scan. Will put it up in the site in this weekend's update.

By the way, the ItwoFS story made it to CNN IBN yesterday and it was aired across the day in assorted news spots. Have added the video and write-up (in IBNlive.com) links in the ItwoFS index page - http://www.itwofs.com

Also, did a shoot for a panel discussion on music plagiarism with Pritam, Anu Malik, Ronnie Screwvala and IP lawyer Praveen Anand as my co-paneslists and chaired by Karan Thapar, for CNBC, last month. I of course, joined the shoot from CNBC's Bangalore studio...to avoid bodily harm :-)

This show is most likely to be aired on April 16th, 10:30 pm.

It seems like yesterday when I used to upload edited audio clips in tfmpage with regard to lifts in Tamil film songs - this was way back in 1999/ 2000 I think, when I was in Delhi. Life has sure come a full circle!

tophilis
4th April 2007, 08:31 PM
>>>Kannathil Muthamittaal - Saving Private Ryan

This is absurd... Boss have you watched SPR..come on just because there is a war scene in KM it doesn't mean that it is SPR..

Have you got any idea what you are talking about?.....

>>>will add later

What ???? more such..BS?

Boss i dint say it was an outright lift from the english movie. If u watch closely both the movies are about a couple of guys out looking for someone in a completely foreign land in the midst of a war. Even some of the scenes from the english flick could be seen in the tamil version. for eg. the scene where Tom Hanks and his troopers mistake the another guy for actual Ryan with same name from a different battalion. They actually convince you they have got the real guy for a minute and then pifffff. The same scene happens in the tamil version just before that sad song (vidaikodu yengall naade) where they actually find the lady who has got the same name as the mother, Shyama. Then they reveal she is not the actual one.

anyway most of Mani's movies have such inspired or lifted scenes and themes.

Sanjeevi
4th April 2007, 11:51 PM
Thanks Sanjeevi, for the India Today scan. Will put it up in the site in this weekend's update.

By the way, the ItwoFS story made it to CNN IBN yesterday and it was aired across the day in assorted news spots. Have added the video and write-up (in IBNlive.com) links in the ItwoFS index page - http://www.itwofs.com

Also, did a shoot for a panel discussion on music plagiarism with Pritam, Anu Malik, Ronnie Screwvala and IP lawyer Praveen Anand as my co-paneslists and chaired by Karan Thapar, for CNBC, last month. I of course, joined the shoot from CNBC's Bangalore studio...to avoid bodily harm :-)

It seems like yesterday when I used to upload edited audio clips in tfmpage with regard to lifts in Tamil film songs - this was way back in 1999/ 2000 I think, when I was in Delhi. Life has sure come a full circle!

:notworthy:

karthik is growing. parthu, indian MDs ellarum ippadi :twisted: agida poranga :lol:

rajdes
5th April 2007, 11:17 AM
karthik, did you embarass Anu Malik with a sample of his lifts? When is it beign telecast?

rajdes
5th April 2007, 11:29 AM
karthik, did you embarass Anu Malik with a sample of his lifts? When is it beign telecast?

inetk
5th April 2007, 02:26 PM
Rajdes:

For more on what happened in the show, do check out the index page of itwofs.com, the update made on March 20th.

Karthik

kingvj
14th April 2007, 04:37 PM
Not sure what song it is.. but it is from Srikanth Deva's Nenjirukkum Varai... its a melody song which has a beautiful sax bit inbetween. Now, THIS sax bit was bugging me for quite sometime... and lo and behold... it was nothing but 'Pesuvadhu kiliyaa illai pennarasi mozhiyaa' song played in slow-mo...!!!!

Vysar
18th April 2007, 04:19 AM
Unnalae Unnalae has two songs lifted from english pop hits. I will keep you all informed.

dochu
18th April 2007, 05:27 AM
I don't know how to copy little bit of "Mummy" movie dvd background.

People who have watched that movie by stephen sommers (first part), can very well relate to the inspiration ARR got from its background.

When cast goes to desert with hero on adventure, and many times when they show desert, background 'resembles' the tiny starting bit in "vaaji vaaji...sivaji" song.

I can provide audio samples, if somebody can point me how to record the audio sample.

any takers?

jsrinath
18th April 2007, 10:57 AM
I didn't have time to go through all 58 pages of this topic so I don't know if this has been posted before, but what is a "copying" thread worth without a mention of Deva ;) From the TFMPage archives...

http://tfmpage.com/forum/27634.14851.20.54.53.html

EDIT: Just for the record, I was very, very young when I posted in that thread. I would probably be a bit more reserved with my opinions now :D

NOV
18th April 2007, 12:09 PM
The refined taste of MSV's fans gave us IR. The enthusiasm and innovativeness of IR's fans gave us ARR. The easy-come-easy-go attitude of ARR's fans have given us Deva. The empty-headedness of Deva's fans...? The impending disaster is incomprehensible.:rotfl:
Nothing to worry. Time has seen to Deva's downfall.

Shankar
18th April 2007, 02:37 PM
jsrinath,
are you the filter-coffee-club srinath of old days ? Nice to see you post here again.

jsrinath
19th April 2007, 09:24 AM
jsrinath,
are you the filter-coffee-club srinath of old days ? Nice to see you post here again.

That's me :) Are you the same Shankar that posted in the Deva thread?! Weren't you working in Motorola? I don't mean to sound pompous (and I definitely haven't spent much time here recently to be sure about this), but TFMPage seems a little bit like what it used to be back then - maybe it's because I am seeing familiar names once again, but I am just as glad to be back - but I am so far out of touch with TFM that I'll probably be lurking a lot more than posting (I finally realized the meaning of "empty vessels make a lot of noise" - pretty much describes me from the old TFMPage days :p ).

jsrinath
19th April 2007, 09:30 AM
The refined taste of MSV's fans gave us IR. The enthusiasm and innovativeness of IR's fans gave us ARR. The easy-come-easy-go attitude of ARR's fans have given us Deva. The empty-headedness of Deva's fans...? The impending disaster is incomprehensible.:rotfl:
Nothing to worry. Time has seen to Deva's downfall.

When a banyan tree could come crashing down, how much longer could a creeper twined around its branches survive ;)

dinesh2002
19th April 2007, 03:41 PM

People who have watched that movie by stephen sommers (first part), can very well relate to the inspiration ARR got from its background.

When cast goes to desert with hero on adventure, and many times when they show desert, background 'resembles' the tiny starting bit in "vaaji vaaji...sivaji" song.

I can provide audio samples, if somebody can point me how to record the audio sample.

any takers?

waiting for it ..... use Total Recorder to record the audio in wav,and then encode it in mp3 and share it with us .... :)

the demo for total recorder : http://www.totalrecorder.com/downloads.htm

rajdes
19th April 2007, 05:11 PM
srinath, vaayya rasa. jsrinath-nu handle paarthavudaneye namam Raleigh payyannu ninaichen - correct-aa pochu.
Whats up? You kind of disappeared from the radar?Glad to see you back.
Interestingly, all those IR fans here who think vijayr personally abhors IR and has an agenda to defame IR MUST look at this statement in the link provided by srinath.
" ...did not imagine that even KB would stoop so low to go after deva in kalki. shows that times are changing. music is taking a firm backseat in films. more emphasis on storyline, treatment etc.
about BGM, it willl live and die with raaja. heard that ARR has made a mess of the BGM in uyire. deva never cared about BGM. "
I think the vijay who has posted this in that thread is none other than vijayr :-) ( I do remember the 129.252. handle, vijay, thanks to velaiyathavan :-)

jsrinath
21st April 2007, 01:18 AM
srinath, vaayya rasa. jsrinath-nu handle paarthavudaneye namam Raleigh payyannu ninaichen - correct-aa pochu.
Whats up? You kind of disappeared from the radar?Glad to see you back.
Interestingly, all those IR fans here who think vijayr personally abhors IR and has an agenda to defame IR MUST look at this statement in the link provided by srinath.
" ...did not imagine that even KB would stoop so low to go after deva in kalki. shows that times are changing. music is taking a firm backseat in films. more emphasis on storyline, treatment etc.
about BGM, it willl live and die with raaja. heard that ARR has made a mess of the BGM in uyire. deva never cared about BGM. "
I think the vijay who has posted this in that thread is none other than vijayr :-) ( I do remember the 129.252. handle, vijay, thanks to velaiyathavan :-)

Hi Raj! How're you doing? Where are you now? London? Hyderabad? Chennai? I know you came back to TFMPage a few years back, glad to see you're still here. I don't know if vijayr is the same as vijay (velaiyathavand/MS's roomie from back then). But that Vijay is a vadikattina IR fan, for sure :)

I recall seeing a few of your posts on the TiS thread some time back. All fire and brimstone as always ;) I go through the old threads from time to time - amazing how much fun we had back then :)

tfmlover
21st April 2007, 09:03 PM

any takers?

waiting for it ..... use Total Recorder to record the audio in wav,and then encode it in mp3 and share it with us .... :)

the demo for total recorder : http://www.totalrecorder.com/downloads.htm

hi !mummy available online
try 'you tube and specify if you can

music man
22nd April 2007, 06:49 PM
Hi all!!! This is with respect to the serial "SELVI" in SUN TV..This serial is known for ripping off popular BGM's for its main characters..Earlier it used to be "Chandralekha" from Thiruda Thiruda..Now they use "Muthu" BGM(action sequences) in tat serial...
My query is:
Now they use another very popular BGM for its villian character called TamilArasu or some thing..They play this BGM whenever they show tat character..Is it He-Man cartoon BGM?? Its funny..Someone verify please..... :huh:

vigneshram
27th April 2007, 10:23 PM
Check out the graph of lifts and inspirations of our MDs in TFM,
http://www.vigneshram.com

Thanks to itwofs.com

karthik_sa2
28th April 2007, 02:14 AM
music man
add to the list pattiyal and kaaka kaaka also

music man
29th April 2007, 02:57 PM
music man
add to the list pattiyal and kaaka kaaka also
Oh!!!!Idhu veraya......

Shankar
30th April 2007, 02:18 AM
>>>>>
Are you the same Shankar that posted in the Deva thread?! Weren't you working in Motorola?
<<<<<

nAnE thAn....I was with motorola till 2k, and moved to csco after that. Are you in the US ? If you are, pls post your number. I never had a chance to talk to you back then. May be now, we can.

karthik_sa2
1st May 2007, 11:26 AM
guys
i listened to "senthazhalam poovil" last night and felt arr got inspired from thi song while composing the song for pukar the same song that comes in tamil also "alli arjuna ".esp the humming end

smss_engineer
8th May 2007, 12:28 AM
Hi Friends!

itwofs.com is wrong!

in coincidence section, they mentioned IR's mella malla from vaazkai (1984) and The album of Ray Lynch (Deep Breakfast) (1984).

But That tune of IR was already in Pallavi anu pallavi (1983) (also by IR) kannada movie, please let them to correct, if anybody know the contact details, :clap:

ajaybaskar
12th May 2007, 08:11 PM
Indha threadku pesama HJ albumsnu title vachirukkalam.

Music4Ever
13th May 2007, 01:14 AM
"Indha threadku pesama HJ albumsnu title vachirukkalam."

Careful, otherwise your credibility would be unsafe! Until some time back, I thought only Deva and Harris ripped off stuff from elsewhere, but I have now learned to be more objective. Specifically, ALL MDs of TFM rip off stuff from here and other; even our great ones. I have listened to western music while working out at a fitness center that plays local music nonstop and was surprised to learn some music patterns from hits like "Roo ba roo", "New York Nagaram" already exist. Even if one were to offer the rationale that the musical pieces are all available as "loops", some of the opening tunes themselves are probably lifted, although fans would be charitably disposed and may call them inspirations. I will have to investigate this further. HJ is no more or less copy cat than others. I agree though that he adds one more dimension to copying by even lifting Rahman's famous interludes.

inetk
13th May 2007, 08:11 PM
A three track case study on how HJ possibly conjures up his songs - includes influences of Pachaikili Muthucharam's 'Karu karu vizhigalal', Unnale Unnale's 'June pona' and 'Ilamai ullasam'. But, as I mention in the site too, these are definitely not direct lifts - just very good ways of getting influenced!

Head to http://www.itwofs.com for a lot of trivia and audio clips!

Sanjeevi
13th May 2007, 09:38 PM
hi inetk karthik,

what about the above smss_engineer's post and what about the connection between HJ's "Un Siripinil" and YSR's "Malargalae" song

vijayr
13th May 2007, 10:42 PM
Karu karu vizhigaLaal-clever rehash. Thats a good find there. Ditto with June Pona. HJ seems to be perfecting the art form of clever lifting.

inetk
15th May 2007, 08:08 AM
Is Yuvan a spiderman fanboy? Nah, this may not be copying at all - at best, intelligent homage!

Check out Anantha's blog first -
http://superstarksa.com/2007/05/14/spidey-saaman-nikaalo/

...and then my site -
http://www.itwofs.com
...for loads of extra trivia.

dinesh2002
15th May 2007, 05:18 PM
oMG!!! the Karu Karu - Hit You with the real thing is just too much!!! im shocked !!!! :shock: ... that was 98% lift....>!!!

Sanjeevi
15th May 2007, 05:54 PM
A three track case study on how HJ possibly conjures up his songs - includes influences of Pachaikili Muthucharam's 'Karu karu vizhigalal', Unnale Unnale's 'June pona' and 'Ilamai ullasam'. But, as I mention in the site too, these are definitely not direct lifts - just very good ways of getting influenced!

Head to http://www.itwofs.com for a lot of trivia and audio clips!

I don't think so, as Dinesh said Karu Karu is definitely a lift. Atleast we have to find a word between "Lifting" and "Inspiring" to mention about HJ's work.

No one can be a artist without inspiration. But HJ's should inspires for his Musical journey not for an individual song :banghead:

cadburyboy
17th May 2007, 03:39 PM
Orenaal unnai naal by IR from Illamai Oonjaladhutu(1978)
http://www.raaga.com/channels/tamil/movie/T0000059.html

&

Sahara frm sivaji by ARR

Hulkster
17th May 2007, 03:46 PM
Already discussed...and although theres a similarity in the first two lines its no more after that...i think its more of same raaga rather than a lift/inspiration :D

karthik_sa2
20th May 2007, 02:12 PM
how about "aeno kangal" from kalvanin kadhali and 'sahara' sivaji

vigneshram
20th May 2007, 11:57 PM
Wow! I didn't know that it was discussed before. Cadburyboy has a point. When whistled or hummed, they both sound very similar

http://vigneshram.blogspot.com/2007/05/sivaji-sahana-inspired-from-ilaiyaraja.html

dinesh2002
21st May 2007, 08:05 AM
its cadburry's duty to find faults in ARR... think he missed the few messages b4 him which was considering his 'King' 's excellent LIFTING skills ......... :lol:

and on Sahana & Ore Naal.... they do sound similar .... im sure its based on the root of the raag which eventually starts with the same line.... there is no fact for ARR to inspired from this 15 secs to create a 5 mins song which later on takes off on a diff note very very differently!!!

if this is something really BIG thing to rave about..... then even these small things like :

Iyaiyo - Paruthi Veeran [ 2:37 - 2:47 ] = Maja Maja - SOK [ 1:37 - 1:50 ]

Vaigasi Nilave - UU [ 3:05 - 3:29 ] = Kadhale - Rangeela [ 3:17 - 3:46 ]

:wave:

dinesh2002
21st May 2007, 08:07 AM
how about "aeno kangal" from kalvanin kadhali and 'sahara' sivaji

How about Chedi Ondru Mulaikuthe - Manmadhan which was based from a BGM in Kovil by HJ ????

Guess_Me
21st May 2007, 12:44 PM
oMG!!! the Karu Karu - Hit You with the real thing is just too much!!! im shocked !!!! :shock: ... that was 98% lift....>!!!

Definitely. I am shocked too. After All Rise (June Pona) now it is Karu Karu.

Seriously, we need to do a background check on all his compositions. Looks like ARR isn't only person from whom Harris xeroxes.

I wonder what will his "cadburyboys" do now :D

selvakumar
21st May 2007, 03:20 PM
if this is something really BIG thing to rave about..... then even these small things like :

:confused2: I don't see anything ||| ar here. :?

Sanjeevi
21st May 2007, 03:29 PM

Ethavathu pathilukku reply pannanum avarukku, thats all

selvakumar
21st May 2007, 03:35 PM

Can I have a link to "Hit You with the Real thing" where I can download it ?

Sanjeevi :D,
Let us wait for Dinesh's reply :D

Guess_Me
21st May 2007, 04:35 PM

Here it is. The song Hit You with the Real thing from Westlife's 2005 album Face To Face.

http://www.uploadwiz.com/WIZ1335257142

selvakumar
21st May 2007, 05:10 PM

Here it is. The song Hit You with the Real thing from Westlife's 2005 album Face To Face.

:oops: I agree with Dinesh. :oops:

dinesh2002
21st May 2007, 05:11 PM

Ethavathu pathilukku reply pannanum avarukku, thats all

thats the point here bro....the thing they say Sahana is from Ore Naal was just as small as these....

selvakumar
21st May 2007, 05:21 PM
thats the point here bro....the thing they say Sahana is from Ore Naal was just as small as these....

You could have given some other :roll: examples. Sahana & Ore naal starting and the feel provided are similar. But the example that you have was drastically different :roll:

selvakumar
21st May 2007, 05:28 PM

You could have given some other :roll: examples. Sahana & Ore naal starting and the feel provided are similar. But the example that you have was drastically different :roll:

dinesh2002
21st May 2007, 05:38 PM

nope...it has some similarity .... very minor scale.... that is how i feel on Sahana & Ore Naal similarity ... :)

dinesh2002
21st May 2007, 05:39 PM

exactly...Shame on HJ!! :evil: the Deva-Avatar... :lol:

selvakumar
21st May 2007, 06:42 PM
dinesh,
will that find an entry here ?
http://itwofs.com/tamil-others.html

inetk :roll:

rayan36
21st May 2007, 07:19 PM

exactly...Shame on HJ!! :evil: the Deva-Avatar... :lol:

ada pavi HJ, not another Deva

villan007
22nd May 2007, 02:59 PM

Definitely. I am shocked too. After All Rise (June Pona) now it is Karu Karu.

Seriously, we need to do a background check on all his compositions. Looks like ARR isn't only person from whom Harris xeroxes.

I wonder what will his "cadburyboys" do now :D

:shock: :shock: OMG .. this ones more blatant :twisted:

karthik_sa2
24th May 2007, 12:33 PM
How about Chedi Ondru Mulaikuthe - Manmadhan which was based from a BGM in Kovil by HJ ????

oh i didn know that!!i didn see kovil..so u accept my post and going for the next one

karthik_sa2
24th May 2007, 12:35 PM
there is also a song in sivaji which very much resembles "in the closet " from michael jackson.the beats and rhythm r 100 percent same

karthik_sa2
24th May 2007, 12:38 PM
yesterday listened to one song in my car. the song resembled "thee pidika" very much. traffic tension i didn know which film its is but the beats were exact same.think its from "karuppasamy...

dinesh2002
24th May 2007, 05:03 PM
dinesh,
will that find an entry here ?
http://itwofs.com/tamil-others.html

inetk :roll:

not sure Selva.... i dont think it will be updated in that section....i think karthik of itwofs should consider opening a separate page for HJ.....

dinesh2002
24th May 2007, 05:05 PM
there is also a song in sivaji which very much resembles "in the closet " from michael jackson.the beats and rhythm r 100 percent same

not gonna give up on Sivaji ???? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

selvakumar
24th May 2007, 05:41 PM

Karthik,
Could you please upload "In the closet" and give the link :D (Is It Athiradee ?? )

karthik_sa2
24th May 2007, 06:35 PM
selva sorry its not in the closet .it is "blood on the dance floor"
http://www.airmp3.net/download/michael_jackson/mp3/dla_784_21 listen to the interludes of sivaji song esp the second interlude and the entire blood on the dance floor song.

karthik_sa2
24th May 2007, 06:39 PM
not gonna give up on Sivaji ????

dinesh
nothing against arr man.even am his fan.he is a fan of mj and no wonder he is influenced by his music.but just minute resemblaces

selvakumar
24th May 2007, 07:24 PM
Karthik,
That file looks like a corrupted one. :roll: Can u upload that file somewhere else ? :roll:
share.up1file.com
uploadwiz.com

selvakumar
24th May 2007, 07:25 PM
Karthik,
That file looks like a corrupted one. :roll: Can u upload that file somewhere else ? :roll:
share.up1file.com
uploadwiz.com

karthik_sa2
24th May 2007, 07:57 PM
selva
i have the song with me. if u can give me ur mail id i can send it as an attachment right away

karthik_sa2
24th May 2007, 10:39 PM
Karthik,
That file looks like a corrupted one. Can u upload that file somewhere else ?
share.up1file.com
uploadwiz.com

oh indha uploading sites'a gavanikavae illa ..think the file i sent u will occupy more of ur mail space.if u want i will upload in one of the above sites

Dragun
25th May 2007, 03:16 AM
Parts of Athiradee sound like Jam from the Dangerous album by Michael Jackson

dinesh2002
25th May 2007, 07:05 AM
yea... Athiradee starting def has the JAM - MJ flavour & the pallavi has blood on the dance floor flavour.... but i really dun see it as "100% same" factor as karthik mentioned..... :? ...

karthik_sa2
26th May 2007, 01:08 AM
dinesh i never meant it 100 percent same. i meant only the beats. though its only a small bit i don understand y arr of his calibre and fame has to fill in mj beats that too for such a big project.

Music4Ever
31st May 2007, 04:01 PM
Mazhai mazhai en ulagathil ... mudhal mazhai starts very much like the old number "ammAnai azhagu migum kaNmAnai .." I think the old number is by MSV and the inspired one by Harris.

cadburyboy
22nd June 2007, 11:37 PM
WHY EVERYTIME IT HAS TO BE A LOOP WHEN ITS COME TO ARR???

Talking about A R Rahman, here's something interesting that a ItwoFS regular, Vijay Narain, mailed me yesterday. Rahman's 2006 track, 'Machakkaari' from the film 'Sillunnu oru kaadhal' has a racy and very prominent prelude that seems startlingly similar to a prelude from a song, 'Shiver' by the soul-rock band Maroon 5. The hitch? Shiver was part of Maroon 5's 2002 album, 'Songs about Jane'! Now, I do understand that this is not about a tune lift at all, but the reason why its up here is to at least find out if this could possibly be a commercially available loop! Could some of the more knowledgeable/ better connected visitors of ItwoFS throw some light on this?

Listen to Prelude in Machakkaari | in Shiver

inetk
23rd June 2007, 10:48 AM
:-) It need not be. Thats why I decided to pose a question and leave it open. As and when its resolved, I intend to update it accordingly.

Imagine the other options.

I could leave it by just saying they sound similar. I'd naturally be inundated with gazillion mails saying its a loop and that I should grow up.

Or I could make an allegation that its 'copied', but I don't have enough proof points apart from the year of release...and what if its indeed a loop?

dinesh2002
23rd June 2007, 11:22 AM

Talking about A R Rahman, here's something interesting that a ItwoFS regular, Vijay Narain, mailed me yesterday. Rahman's 2006 track, 'Machakkaari' from the film 'Sillunnu oru kaadhal' has a racy and very prominent prelude that seems startlingly similar to a prelude from a song, 'Shiver' by the soul-rock band Maroon 5. The hitch? Shiver was part of Maroon 5's 2002 album, 'Songs about Jane'! Now, I do understand that this is not about a tune lift at all, but the reason why its up here is to at least find out if this could possibly be a commercially available loop! Could some of the more knowledgeable/ better connected visitors of ItwoFS throw some light on this?

Nothing simular............. guess that Vijay Narain guy was too excited he found something rare 'ARR's list on lift' so he quickly mailed Karthik ... if u listen propaly,there is NOTHING...

cool choco boy, still this is nothing compared to the 'deepavalli' u had few weeks back in itwofs.com :lol:

saradhaa_sn
23rd June 2007, 06:13 PM
Mazhai mazhai en ulagathil ... mudhal mazhai starts very much like the old number "ammAnai azhagu migum kaNmAnai .." I think the old number is by MSV and the inspired one by Harris.

Yes... it is the same tune. "Ammanai" is from 'Avan Oru Sarithiram' by MSV (in 1976).

"Apple pennE nee yArO" song also starts like a old number "aaLai aaLai paarkiraai".

The present MDs are using multi purpose instruments.

That is "KEYBOARD cum XEROX MACHINE".

Movies
23rd June 2007, 09:13 PM
Uzbek singer has used two of rahmans song with complete authorization from rahman. One being Kathal Sadugudu song from Alaipayuthae.

The reason Im writing this is not to call the singer a copy,, but rather to point how well a song can be adapted into another language and the song cant be recognized at all. An example being Iroda Dilroz "Ko'ngillar bog'landi" - Hearts got tied. This track is a remix of Mustapha Mustapha, if someone hadnt told me, I couldnt have figured it!

vijayr
3rd July 2007, 12:10 AM
I dont know if this has been mentioned earlier. But the vaazhkaiya yosingada from Chennai 28 seems to have been inspired heavily by sendhamizh thenmozhiyaal. Especially if you compare the lines "jalsa pannungada..ujaala jilpa kaatungada" to "senthamozhil thenmozhiyaaL, nilaavena sirikkum malar kodiyaaL" it is very close-the tune and the meter. Even portions of other lines in the pallavi bear similiarity. Maybe it was even intentionally re-modified considering the fun nature of the movie? I dont know. Aana andha paattaiyum vittu vaikkala, paavam.

dinesh2002
3rd July 2007, 03:10 PM
I dont know if this has been mentioned earlier. But the vaazhkaiya yosingada from Chennai 28 seems to have been inspired heavily by sendhamizh thenmozhiyaal. Especially if you compare the lines "jalsa pannungada..ujaala jilpa kaatungada" to "senthamozhil thenmozhiyaaL, nilaavena sirikkum malar kodiyaaL" it is very close-the tune and the meter. Even portions of other lines in the pallavi bear similiarity. Maybe it was even intentionally re-modified considering the fun nature of the movie? I dont know. Aana andha paattaiyum vittu vaikkala, paavam.

when i heard Bheema's sample,the number sung by Madhushree,i really taut that was more simular to Senthamzh TheanMozhiyaal.... wut u think....

Dragun
4th July 2007, 03:05 AM

Nothing simular............. guess that Vijay Narain guy was too excited he found something rare 'ARR's list on lift' so he quickly mailed Karthik ... if u listen propaly,there is NOTHING...

cool choco boy, still this is nothing compared to the 'deepavalli' u had few weeks back in itwofs.com :lol:

I hear a resemblance to the second part of that Maroon 5 guitar part. Its possible that ARR has lifted this part for Machakaari and added a few extra notes to the tune. Or it could be a coincidence/subconcious lift. Who knows. And I don't think its a loop. The melody is too specific to be a loop.

NOV
8th July 2007, 08:50 AM
ah mudhal akku thaanada => koduththellaamkoduththaan :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

even the charanams are exactcopies. :hammer: :hammer: :hammer:

app_engine
8th July 2007, 05:47 PM
NOV,
In which movie is 'ah mudhal akku'...

I'm just curious because only last week I sang 'koduththadhellAm' in a social gathering here -with microphone but without any accompaniment - where I was the only Indian and all the other 30 people are musically discerning American friends and they loved it so much - clapping from midway as a rhythm and asking the meaning of each line when I was done!

app_engine
8th July 2007, 06:11 PM
There's a new website for HJ (there's another thread in the current topics advertising the site)...One of their attractions is a song clip from Bheema (soon to be released Vikram movie) and it's a replica of 'senthamizh thEn mozhiyAL':-(

NOV
8th July 2007, 06:27 PM
NOV,
In which movie is 'ah mudhal akku'...andha kandraaviya En kEkkareenga? :banghead:
movie is jiththan (invisible man) music is srikanth deva :hammer:

see this:

koduththadhellaam koduththaan
avan yaarukkaagak koduththaan
aa muthal akkuthanada
en akka ponnu kikuthanada

oruththarukkaa koduththaan
illai oorukkaagak koduththaan
kattaan kuchi killa vaayEndi
rendu pErum koottan chOru aakki thinnalaam

mannkudisai vaasalenraal
thenral vara veruththidumaa
othOtha rooba pottu kaari
oththulaikka ketti kaari

maalainilaa Ezhaiyenraal
velichcham thara maruththidumaa
thala thalanu kulungi varum
thaagam theerkkum thanni laari

:omg: :omg: :omg: :omg: :omg: :omg: :omg:

madhu
8th July 2007, 06:41 PM
NOV...

idhukku yEn varutham ?

andha tune enna.. orutharukkA koduthAr.. ? :evil:

illai.. oorukAga koduthAr :noteeth:

app_engine
8th July 2007, 06:50 PM
adappAvingaLA! It's sad to see the tune of a great 'podhuvudamai' song getting reused like this:-(

I so proudly explained the meaning of 'koduththadhellAm' to my Detroit friends and after two days or so some of them can still say the word 'koduththAn':-)

madhu:-)
In the YSR albums thread I suggested that the musical works of MSV and IR can be bought by govt. and made national property (so that everyone can freely use, like Bharathiyar kavidhaigaL and carnatic keerthanaigaL) as another trend nowadays is to use old songs and even BGM as BGM for new movies...e.g. Chennai-28 using aboorva sahOdharargaL title music...

NOV
8th July 2007, 07:31 PM
idhukku yEn varutham ?adhu seri.
karpoora naayagiyE kanagavalli pattai karpazhichapodhE naa tharkkolai pannirukkanum. :banghead:

NOV
8th July 2007, 07:33 PM
.... it's a replica of 'senthamizh thEn mozhiyAL':-( :roll: :roll: :roll:
just like jalsa pannungada of chennai 600028. :evil:

sakaLAKALAKAlaa Vallavar
15th July 2007, 02:07 AM
http://behindwoods.com/tamil-movies-slide-shows/movie-1/music-directors/tamil-music-directors.html
a small compilation from www.itwofs.com :lol:

adede, naan kuda MD aagalaa poliruke :lol: :lol2:

madhu
15th July 2007, 05:45 AM
idhukku yEn varutham ?adhu seri.
karpoora naayagiyE kanagavalli pattai karpazhichapodhE naa tharkkolai pannirukkanum. :banghead:

annav...

andha kAlathilEyE "kandar sashti kavacham"..

"padhinettu vayasu iLamottu manasu" appadinnu maaRi pOyiruchE ! :cry2:

vijayr
16th July 2007, 02:15 AM
Apart from the jalsa pannungada lift that I mentioned earlier, YSR strikes again in saroja samaan nikaalo, cacophony of a song. There is of course annatha aadurar mixed in. But if you notice carefully, that catchy veena piece in the first interlude(using the veena pieces in a dappanguthu song itself is'nt very original as bharadwaj, another loser, had tried it in cheena thaana song) is a clever lift of the spiderman theme (which used to be featured in doordarshan regularly back in the 80s). He has added slight carnatic touches and changed the meter to mask the lift. Amazing. The beats of course re-cycled from his own yemmadi aathadi song. Nothing about the song is original, including the "saroja samaan nikaalo" line :-)

Plum
16th July 2007, 01:16 PM
In addition, the veenai piece mentioned leads me up to hum "ooru vittu ooru vandhu.." as it ends

MrJudge
16th July 2007, 04:30 PM
Apart from the jalsa pannungada lift that I mentioned earlier, YSR strikes again in saroja samaan nikaalo, cacophony of a song. There is of course annatha aadurar mixed in. But if you notice carefully, that catchy veena piece in the first interlude(using the veena pieces in a dappanguthu song itself is'nt very original as bharadwaj, another loser, had tried it in cheena thaana song) is a clever lift of the spiderman theme (which used to be featured in doordarshan regularly back in the 80s). He has added slight carnatic touches and changed the meter to mask the lift. Amazing. The beats of course re-cycled from his own yemmadi aathadi song. Nothing about the song is original, including the "saroja samaan nikaalo" line :-)

This proves again that people don't buy original CD.

vijayr
16th July 2007, 08:02 PM
original CD vaangina, tune maariduma? :-) What pEththals
( I listened to it from the movie DVD anyways which is of pretty good quality)

littlemaster1982
16th July 2007, 08:16 PM
Vijayr,

Yuvan composed the tune only for "Saroja samaan nikkalo". The Orchestration part was done by Premji (YSR's cousin) and it is mentioned in the CD's inlay cover. So it is not fair to blame Yuvan for this lift.

vijayr
16th July 2007, 10:03 PM
Both of them are responsible for the final product that came out and both the tune as well as orchestration had lifts from earlier songs.

app_engine
17th July 2007, 12:18 AM
http://dinamalar.com/2007july16/vikatan.asp

MSV's interview...according to him all those doing remix are rapists...

united07
17th July 2007, 10:06 AM
The beat from Akkam Pakkam song in Kireedam sounds very very very similar to Sunta hai Mera from Pukar...

have anyone noticed...

MrJudge
17th July 2007, 10:39 AM
original CD vaangina, tune maariduma? :-) What pEththals
( I listened to it from the movie DVD anyways which is of pretty good quality)

When I said 'original cd', you should have understood that there is information about this particular track in the original. But you did not and you replied with some absurd question. What do you call a person thinking "original CD vaangina, tune maariduma?"? I leave it to yourself. Before you make more allegations about Chennai-28, I like to inform you that, out of 9 songs Yuvan has composed 5 and the remaining are done by Premji, Ramji/Rafiq. Please make sure that you are aiming the right target!

thumburu
17th July 2007, 05:03 PM
To add to vijayr's observation, I feel thet "heart beatu" song seems to be also inspired from Adityan's Amaran song "chanda bajaaru ponnu ushaaru" song

vijayr
17th July 2007, 09:10 PM
When I said 'original cd', you should have understood that there is information about this particular track in the original. But you did not and you replied with some absurd question. What do you call a person thinking "original CD vaangina, tune maariduma?"? I leave it to yourself. Before you make more allegations about Chennai-28, I like to inform you that, out of 9 songs Yuvan has composed 5 and the remaining are done by Premji, Ramji/Rafiq. Please make sure that you are aiming the right target!

The targets are spot on. It doesnt matter who does the arranging or mixing, YSR is credited as the MD of the movie, he has composed the tunes and he is also in charge of all the songs as well as the overall final product. If he let his collaborator or assistant do the lifting and approved it, he is still culpable. It doesnt matter who between Shankar or Ganesh lifted, when we attribute lifts to Shankar-Ganesh. Likewise. Especially after all the hype like the one below where I read that YSR spent 11 months "perfecting" each song for this album.
http://www.indiaglitz.com/channels/tamil/article/29030.html
He was perfecting his lifts I guess

Music4Ever
17th July 2007, 10:29 PM
Yuvan seems to have had some history in copying, IMO. Many of his recent songs lead to some hit song of the nineties, by you-know-who. I was zapped when there was a song in Thamiraparani which lead to thaniyE thannandh thaniye (Rhythm). Another song which was catchy reminded IR's Adi aathadi iLa manasoNNu rakka katti song and nineties orchestration of you-know-who :wink:
Indeed, app-engine is spot on in his observation (Need I repeat his statement?) on the poor man's choice. I agree with vijayr also.

YSR, HJ, Dhina, and even VS are ripping off stuff left, right, and center. Very blatant lifts. Nothing subtle at all. In the recent days even ARR lifts here and there but very subtly. That machakari opening bit was definitely a lift.

Sanjeevi
17th July 2007, 11:03 PM
Whatever it is guys Yuvan's oru naalil is best song in recent years

Music4Ever
17th July 2007, 11:13 PM
The thamiraparani song is "vaartha onnu". It not only reminds the rhythm song but also IR's kalyanaraman song "aaha vanthiruchhu"

sakaLAKALAKAlaa Vallavar
19th July 2007, 10:37 PM
Unnaale Unnaale Title track a lift from JLo's "If you had my love" had anyone already posted it?

Sanjeevi
19th July 2007, 11:01 PM
Unnaale Unnaale Title track a lift from JLo's "If you had my love" had anyone already posted it?

ithuvuma :lol:

I know about June pona and Ilamai Ullasam songs :lol:

app_engine
20th July 2007, 07:43 AM
http://sify.com/movies/tamil/fullstory.php?id=14495393

If they discuss in Chennai, those who overhear may listen to all the english / arabic / etc originals:-)

app_engine
20th July 2007, 07:44 AM
MSV pAtta remix paNNavum mAlaththeevu pOgaNumA enna?

sakaLAKALAKAlaa Vallavar
20th July 2007, 12:25 PM
http://sify.com/movies/tamil/fullstory.php?id=14495393

If they discuss in Chennai, those who overhear may listen to all the english / arabic / etc originals:-)enna kodumai ithu!!! vara vara brain drain pola aagittu varuthu. the only happy news is that TN has some handul of creative persons than others....even in bollywood the MDs dont compose for BGMs, its seperately done by another, relatively less popular MDs[enna innoru kodmai sir ithu ] :lol: :lol:

sakaLAKALAKAlaa Vallavar
20th July 2007, 12:28 PM
Whatever it is guys Yuvan's oru naalil is best song in recent yearsWHatever it is, Yuvan can be seen as another Hit Music Director like harris[maybe slightly above him] and cannot be related as Rajaa's Vaarisu. He has many miles to go near that!

MrJudge
20th July 2007, 01:31 PM
The targets are spot on. It doesnt matter who does the arranging or mixing, YSR is credited as the MD of the movie, he has composed the tunes and he is also in charge of all the songs as well as the overall final product. If he let his collaborator or assistant do the lifting and approved it, he is still culpable. It doesnt matter who between Shankar or Ganesh lifted, when we attribute lifts to Shankar-Ganesh. Likewise. Especially after all the hype like the one below where I read that YSR spent 11 months "perfecting" each song for this album.
He was perfecting his lifts I guess

Premji just did not arrange/mix those tracks. He indeed orchestrated those tracks, I hope you will understand the difference. Also bringing SG comparison is not a good one, they worked together and took credits as well as blames equally as no one knows how they worked/what different parts they played for their projects. But here the case is different. Premji does additional work for which he is being given credit in the inlay cards. If you blame Yuvan for the track done by Premji, then do it and be ignorant.

vijayr
20th July 2007, 09:28 PM
Premji just did not arrange/mix those tracks. He indeed orchestrated those tracks, I hope you will understand the difference. Also bringing SG comparison is not a good one, they worked together and took credits as well as blames equally as no one knows how they worked/what different parts they played for their projects. But here the case is different. Premji does additional work for which he is being given credit in the inlay cards. If you blame Yuvan for the track done by Premji, then do it and be ignorant.

I used "arranging" and "orchestration" almost synonymously. SG comparison is a very valid one. Of course they work together all the time and are not credited individually for which parts they composed, but Yuvan has chosen to work together for the first time here. That is the only difference. So, It shouldnt matter if Premji's name appeared separately in the credits, since this is a one-time affair. Yuvan is still credited as the MD of the film in the titles, and is also being hyped for "perfecting" each song for 11 months. Also the tune portions were composed by him and they have some lifts as well as pointed above(clear "sanda bajaaru" inspiration). So I dont know who is being ignorant here

MrJudge
21st July 2007, 08:29 PM
I used "arranging" and "orchestration" almost synonymously.

They are different, so you shouldn't use them synonymously.

SG comparison is a very valid one. Of course they work together all the time and are not credited individually for which parts they composed, but Yuvan has chosen to work together for the first time here. That is the only difference.

You don't even know who did what in SG combination, do you? and who is responsible for their lifts, so it doesn't make sense to quote them as example.

So, It shouldnt matter if Premji's name appeared separately in the credits, since this is a one-time affair.

It really matters if you look forward to give credit or to blame.

Yuvan is still credited as the MD of the film in the titles, and is also being hyped for "perfecting" each song for 11 months.

No one said he was perfecting those 9 songs for 11 months. He was perfecting the tracks he was involved with. Is that so hard to understand??

Also the tune portions were composed by him and they have some lifts as well as pointed above(clear "sanda bajaaru" inspiration). So I dont know who is being ignorant here

If he is involved with tune portion alone and you find lifts in it, blame him, no one is going to question you. But blaming him for the parts he is not involved with just shows you are ignorant!

vijayr
22nd July 2007, 10:29 AM
You don't even know who did what in SG combination, do you? and who is responsible for their lifts, so it doesn't make sense to quote them as example.

It makes perfect sense, as they both worked TOGETHER and both are responsible for the final product. Seems like this goes above your head every time. They are not going to share the praise and split the blame.

No one said he was perfecting those 9 songs for 11 months. He was perfecting the tracks he was involved with. Is that so hard to understand??

No, it said he spent 11 months perfecting each and EVERY song, not just the songs he was involved with. That is just your own imagination. Read it here again

If he is involved with tune portion alone and you find lifts in it, blame him, no one is going to question you. But blaming him for the parts he is not involved with just shows you are ignorant!

He is the MD as a whole and as such is responsble for the overall product. Unless otherwise you show proof that he didnt listen to the orchestration of the songs or was not involved at all and just composed the tunes and showed no interest or didnt listen to the full songs before they got released, he will be held responsible. (But then if you prove that, that will still speak for poor work ethics considering he took credit as the MD in the titles and did'nt even bother to listen to the final product).

dinesh2002
22nd July 2007, 10:44 AM

It makes perfect sense, as they both worked TOGETHER and both are responsible for the final product. Seems like this goes above your head every time. They are not going to share the praise but split the blame.

No, it said he spent 11 months perfecting each and EVERY song, not just the songs he was involved with. That is just your own imagination. Read it here again

He is the MD as a whole and as such is responsble for the overall product. Unless otherwise you show proof that he didnt listen to the orchestration of the songs or was not involved at all and just composed the tunes and showed no interest or didnt listen to the full songs before they got released, he will be held responsible. (But then if you prove that, that will still speak for poor work ethics considering he took credit as the MD in the titles and did'nt even bother to listen to the final product).

Vijay, u sure wanna do this... he aint gonna admit it... if the songs had full praise, he would say its only YSR 100% commitment/briliance to make it sound excellent, but if its the other way round, such as this... look at him diverting it.... :lol: .... u conered him man...hats off to u Vijay !! :lol: :thumbsup:

Naatamai... vechutangaiye AAAPEE!!!! :lol:

vijayr
22nd July 2007, 10:55 AM
Vijay, u sure wanna do this... he aint gonna admit it... if the songs had full praise, he would say its only YSR 100% commitment/briliance to make it sound excellent, but if its the other way round, such as this... look at him diverting it.... :lol: .... u conered him man...hats off to u Vijay !! :lol: :thumbsup:

Naatamai... vechutangaiye AAAPEE!!!! :lol:

dinesh, I know that. But Iam just having myself some fun. Been quite some time since I took care of our old friend naatamai, who is acting all civil in his new Mr.Judge avataar :-)

MrJudge
22nd July 2007, 11:26 PM
It makes perfect sense, as they both worked TOGETHER and both are responsible for the final product. Seems like this goes above your head every time. They are not going to share the praise and split the blame.

No, it does not, because both cases are completely different. In SG combination, we DO NOT KNOW who did what, and in Chennai 28 case we KNOW who did what. If you like to praise / you find faults in anyone's part, you can appreciate/blame that particular person who is responsible for it. THAT IS THE REASON THEY GIVE DETAILS IN THE INLAYS. I don't blame you since you watched the movie on DVD and blamed Yuvan straight away. But even after you came to know that the song is orchestrated by Premji, you blaming Yuvan just shows that you are adamant to admit your mistake.

It is obvious that he was perfecting each and every song he was involved with. Also it did not say all 9 tracks of the film. Since the track was done by Premji, I don't think he would sit and was perfecting that song for Premji, then he wouldn't have given credit to him. Premji has done an album alone to his credit, I think he is capable of doing that song.

Yeah, on the same criteria, can we blame the producer/director for the lifts done by their MD since he is responsible for the whole product? Why just blame MDs alone?

I know you are part of muyalukku moonu kaal group :)

MrJudge
22nd July 2007, 11:32 PM
Vijay, u sure wanna do this... he aint gonna admit it... if the songs had full praise, he would say its only YSR 100% commitment/briliance to make it sound excellent, but if its the other way round, such as this... look at him diverting it.... :lol: .... u conered him man...hats off to u Vijay !!

vanthutaaruppa dambi dinesh..... Yuvan has given credits to Premji for that track, then how I would praise Yuvan for that. I don't remember doing something similar to it before. Tell me if I have done it, I know you can't :) You are just here to make some noise. I don't think vijayr cornered me, vijayr has given a wrong example and I think he was cornered dude.

karthik_sa2
23rd July 2007, 12:21 AM
vijay r
we accept yuvan has copied few songs but when u know that the bgm and that song of chennai 28 was done by premji its not fair or sensible arguing yuvan copied them taht too for two pages. yuvan may be should have corrected premji for that but it is quite obvious that song is not his cos it is cleraly given in the inlays. so u cant say yuvan copied it. on the whole they named yuvan as the md for this film just to promote the movie and catch better attention of people. and all those words from venkat prabhu and indiaglitz that this album is the best of yuvan , perfecting it for 11 months were just marketing gimmicks used by venkat and india glitz since india glitz is the official sponsor of the movie.

vijayr
23rd July 2007, 01:03 AM
No, it does not, because both cases are completely different. In SG combination, we DO NOT KNOW who did what, and in Chennai 28 case we KNOW who did what.

Doesnt matter because they worked TOGETHER as a duo and they accept responsibility together. They accept praise and blame together, even if they handled different portions. They both know what went into the final product. Like I said earlier, prove that YSR composed the tune and disappeared from the scene and did not listen or involve with other aspects of the songs at all until he listened to it on CD after it was released. If not, he approved the lift. Especially since he takes credit as the MD with his face on the CD cover, and the MD name is'nt listed as "Yuvan-Premgi" both in CD cover or elsewhere
http://www.indiavarta.com/shopping/music/CD_Details.asp?ID=CTF-8902143-965562
So as the MD he takes the responsibility unless proven otherwise

It is obvious that he was perfecting each and every song he was involved with.

No it is not. It doesnt say that and it is just your assumption

Yeah, on the same criteria, can we blame the producer/director for the lifts done by their MD since he is responsible for the whole product? Why just blame MDs alone?

Sure, if you can provide proof that the producer/director was also involved in the music-making process and either approved or demanded the lift you can blame them. Just like how IR fans blame Balu Mahendra for asking to lift "kanavu kaaNUm vaazhkai". Otherwise whoever takes credit as MD for the film is to be blamed

I know you are part of muyalukku moonu kaal group

so says Naattamai the group leader, ROFL

MrJudge
23rd July 2007, 11:20 AM
Sure, if you can provide proof that the producer/director was also involved in the music-making process and either approved or demanded the lift you can blame them.

So you say that the director will not involve in music-making process? Also the albums will be released without their consent? According to your theory they should be blamed for MDs lifts, because they are the ones approving final product and responsible for it. Nalla kathaiyaa irukku.

so says Naattamai the group leader

anna, neenga intha vishayathil ellorukkum annan. I have read your discusssions with other people here in this same tfm forum. :)

NOV
23rd July 2007, 11:47 AM
pls stay away from personal attacks. :roll:

vijayr
23rd July 2007, 07:44 PM
So you say that the director will not involve in music-making process? Also the albums will be released without their consent? According to your theory they should be blamed for MDs lifts, because they are the ones approving final product and responsible for it. Nalla kathaiyaa irukku.

If the director demanded the lift or KNEW about it and approved it, then yes he is culpable and he is to be blamed as well(like the Balu Mahendra example I pointed out) along with the MD. The MD doesnt escape the blame here, he just shares it with the movie director, becomes a partner in crime. But most of the time, directors do not have enough knowledge to know where the song was lifted from or if the song was lifted at all(unless they know to read minds), and their job is just limited to approving the final tune or asking for a different one. Hence,MD takes the full responsibility, as the guy in charge of the music department. So either way, MD doesnt escape blame.

I have read your discusssions with other people here in this same tfm forum.

Nice try, but your naatamai avatar is'nt forgotten yet :-)

selvakumar
23rd July 2007, 08:06 PM
ah mudhal akku thaanada => koduththellaamkoduththaan :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

even the charanams are exactcopies. :hammer: :hammer: :hammer:

In "MGR 90" program that was telecasted in Vijay TV, Srikanth Deva indeed said he took this song from taht MGR song and praised that MGR songs always remain as a source for giving songs.
I accept that it is a blatant copy. But atleast he accepts it compared to our geniuses / legends / masters who are afraid of accepting their mistakes in public :roll:

NOV
24th July 2007, 05:44 AM
digression from YSR thread:

One digression -- sorry NOV

"Ore Naal" and "Sahana" will both sound similar ateast in the beginning because the base raaga is Sahana..
Its a very basic fact and our insecure IR fans resort to ARR bashing saying ARR lift from IR. Then from whom did IR lift from because the basic structure of Sahana raagam is not IR composed.

Okay how if I say "Oru vanavil pole" is a copy by IR from ever famous "kabhi kabhi mere dil me". Wouldn't that be absurd....as absurd as what you guys say..

Nattamai ...konjam theerpa yoschi sollu

Music4Ever
25th July 2007, 01:23 AM
Re: Saroja Saaman Nikalo, the following excerpt offers an interesting twist to the discussion here. Specifically, Premji's own brother Venkat Prabhu, in an interview by MIO, seems to agree with Vijayr:

Begin Quote
We didn't know why. Then, we heard people chanting the song Saroja Saamaan Nikalo and realised that it was Yuvan Shankar Raja who's responsible for the packed houses.

End Quote

Make of it what you will.

njv
28th July 2007, 06:09 AM
Prelude of Dhalapathi song maargazhi thaan odipochu bokiyachu (the percussion sound) is copied AS IS in HJ's Kakha Kakha (in many scenes where Surya and Jo jolluvittu each other) - not that i got a DTS set finally, i could see how much copying is going on. Oh god.

njv
28th July 2007, 06:12 AM
One digression -- sorry NOV

"Oru vanavil pole" is a copy by IR from ever famous "kabhi kabhi mere dil me".
:roll: :?: :idea: :lol:

vijayr
11th August 2007, 08:53 AM
I feel the "ra pa pa" humming(which is the tune for the pallavi too) from Oru mugamo is clearly inspired by "na na na " humming(with minor changes by HJ, he has lowered the pitch too) from Roxette's "The Look" song, a popular synth-rock song of the 80s. Any thoughts?
The original song too ends with the singer humming the lead tune thrice. I feel this is another "structure lift" like HJ did in PKMC

Guess_Me
11th August 2007, 10:28 PM
Good find Vijay.

Here is the Roxette song

http://www.4shared.com/file/21830477/c877ddb9/roxette_-_the_look.html

vijayr
13th August 2007, 01:48 AM
I dont know if this has been mentioned before but the opening line of "karuppaana kayyaale enna pudichan" from Thamirabharani(MD:YSR) has been lifted from the popular old hindi song "aadha hai chand ma" from Navrang(MD: C Ramchandra). The rest of the tune goes in a different direction. You can listen to the Hindi song here
http://www.dishant.com/album/Navrang-(1959).html

NOV
13th August 2007, 06:08 AM
:shock: :shock: :shock:

that song is a ditto copy of LRE's karpoora naayagiyE kanagavalli

vijayr
13th August 2007, 09:57 AM
NOV, is that from a non-TFM religious album?

The judge in SUNTV's pudhiya raagangaL was singing this song(apparently she is the original singer of that song I think) today and thats when it struck me. I wonder if she knows the multiple sourcing at play here :-)

MrJudge
13th August 2007, 09:58 AM
Hari got written permission for remixing karpoora naayagiye in Thamiraparani from the appropriate people, this was told by himself in one of his interviews in promos. So according to vijayr's theory, the director Hari is responsible and should be blamed for this act and not Yuvan.

NOV
13th August 2007, 10:20 AM
foget the blames.... :roll:

yes vijay, it is a devotional album. i am surprised you have not heard the original.
no, i am shocked. :shock:

Sanjeevi
13th August 2007, 10:40 AM
yes "Karpoora Nayagiyae Kanagavalli" is very famous song

app_engine
13th August 2007, 07:14 PM
It's really surprising that vijay hasn't heard 'karpoora nAyagiyE kanagavalli, kALi, mahamAyee, karu mAriyammA'! This whole album of Mariyamman songs were sung by LRE and music by MSV I think, and extremely popular in all local festivals...no average Thamizhan could have missed these numbers blasting through the horn speakers...

In fact in places like Tiruchy on certain months (mArgazhi?), you'll be forced to wake up at 5 AM by these loud sounds and it's practically impossible for anyone to miss them - regardless of one's musical, cultural or religious leanings...and if you happen to travel by bus in TN, they'll typically start their 1st trip in the morning with one of these devotional albums...IMO, 'pullAnguzhal koduththa moongilkaLE', 'vinAyakanE vinai theerppavanE', 'Ayar pAdi mALigaiyil thAi madiyil kanRinaippOl' , 'paLLikkattu sabari malaikku kallum muLLum kAlukku meththai' and 'karpoora nAyAgiyE' are songs that no average Thamizhan (or one who lived in TN) could have missed...

mmmm...just one more thing to prove that one cannot assume anything or take anything for granted...

vijayr
13th August 2007, 08:13 PM
aayarpaadi, vinaayagane, marudhamalai maamaNiye are all quite popular and I have heard them frequently. About Karpoora naayagiye, maybe I did hear it before and it did'nt stick in my mind for whatever reason, but I dont recall hearing it as frequently. Maybe, no maariamman temple nearby to blast those songs on speakers on a daily basis :-) Certainly, they were'nt played as frequently as the Murugan devotional songs. Probably it depends on where you lived too. Even the few LRE devotional songs I remember, I have only seen them on TV sometime in the late 80s/early 90s

vijayr
13th August 2007, 08:16 PM
Hari got written permission for remixing karpoora naayagiye in Thamiraparani from the appropriate people, this was told by himself in one of his interviews in promos. So according to vijayr's theory, the director Hari is responsible and should be blamed for this act and not Yuvan.

I did'nt say the MD is absolved of any blame, did I?. He just shares it with the director. The director might have obtained the copyrights but the MD agreed to do the remix. So they both are partners in crime :-)

buggle
13th August 2007, 09:38 PM
I dont know if this has been mentioned before but the opening line of "karuppaana kayyaale enna pudichan" from Thamirabharani(MD:YSR) has been lifted from the popular old hindi song "aadha hai chand ma" from Navrang(MD: C Ramchandra). The rest of the tune goes in a different direction. You can listen to the Hindi song here
http://www.dishant.com/album/Navrang-(1959).html

Not heard the famous Karpoora nayagiyae song our friend vijayr comments that it is a lift(as said by Judge, it's a approved remix) from a hindi movie...how funny..

"vanthutanya vanthutanya"

vijayr
13th August 2007, 10:27 PM
It doesnt change the fact, that it is still not an original song. Just the source is different. In fact it is a remix of a partially lifted/inspired song. And remixes technically qualify as lifts or copied songs(even if they are legally approved in which case it just becomes a legal lift). what is funnier is some loser YSR fans thinking that it is perfectly OK to lift and remix devotional songs as long as prior permission is obtained. Time is not far off when they will actually applaud YSR for releasing a fully remixed devotional album (with full prior permission of course). First Kanda naaL mudhalaai, now karpoora naayagiye, next what? Marudhamalai maamaNiye? :-)

app_engine
13th August 2007, 10:39 PM
Another question - is the Hindi song prior to the LRE song? I'm sure the Mariamman song is released after the entry of IR into TFM - probably late 70's or 80's. Was MSV inspired by a Hindi song?...

One more - the tune of 'kaNNAl pEsum peNNe, ennai mannippAyA' from mozhi(VS) sounds very similar to 'nee dhAn en dEsiya geetham ranjanA ranjanA' of pArthalE paravasam(ARR)...

vijayr
13th August 2007, 10:41 PM
I am not sure if MSV was the MD, but the Hindi song came in the late 50s. So if the Mariamman song came later then MSV or whoever composed it has definitely used the first line

app_engine
13th August 2007, 10:49 PM
I think I saw the disk of the LRE songs and remember MSV as the composer...but it's a very distant memory and could be wrong... it also had other songs like 'chellAththA...thanga mAriyAththA'...'vERkAttil vAzhndhirukkum Adhi parAsakthiyavaL' etc.

vijayr
13th August 2007, 10:55 PM
MSV did compose KrishNa-gaanam which had some great songs. Not sure about this Maariyamman songs collection.

vijayr
13th August 2007, 11:06 PM
according to this link the composers are Somu-Gaja, who seem to have composed few other devotional songs in this album along with Kunnakudi Vaidyanathan
http://shopping.chennaionline.com/musicdownloads/searchresults.asp?SearchType=AlbumSearch&SearchValue=THAAYE%20KARUMAARI-L.R.ESWARI

buggle
13th August 2007, 11:55 PM
We all know the fact that it's a remix from Karpoora Nayagiyae and also YSR is not the first to do this devotional remix..
Previously Deva did for Kanda Sashti Kavasam - Pathinettu vayathu(Suriyan) and ARR used suprabhatham tune in the interludes of Marghazhi Poove(May Madham).

vijayr
14th August 2007, 12:58 AM
we also know that YSR, being the remix king, does it more often than anyone else :-) He might set a record soon with Billa

buggle
14th August 2007, 01:14 AM
It was quite evident from the earlier post that someone just wants to bash YSR and that's why even without knowing the background of the particular song they post some garbage here...
No point in arguing..i give up..

PS:I am not a big YSR fan, but atleast i wont fill up these pages with incorrect information...

app_engine
14th August 2007, 01:29 AM
Somu-Gaja...interesting.
I never remember seeing those names before. Well, it's not unusual for some musicians to use film tunes for devotional albums. In fact a number of Nahoor Hanifa songs had famous hindi film tunes.

However, MSV has done at least one devotional album with LRE. Can't remember which songs were there as it's many years since I saw the record cover with a "mike-set" fellow, having pictures of both the artists ...may be some other songs...