PDA

View Full Version : COPYING - IN TAMIL FILM HISTORY

Pages : 1 2 3 4 [5] 6

vijayr
14th August 2007, 08:12 AM
I
PS:I am not a big YSR fan, but atleast i wont fill up these pages with incorrect information...

You have already done that. Maargazhi poove is'nt an example for devotional remixed song like you said earlier. It uses only a small portion of the original devotional chant as an instrumental piece in the ludes. The tune of that song is totally different and original. It can be called an inspiration at best. Next time get the correct example before you jump in to ridicule someone else

selvakumar
14th August 2007, 08:22 AM
Just a question :
"There is a song in Pithamagan that was quite popular :oops: Whenever I think of REMIXES, that comes to my mind. Probably a collection of songs thrown here and there to make a SOUP / MASALA of ALL SONGS. A perfect REMIX !
I think the REMIX KING Yuvan still has not defeated his FATHER IN THIS CASE :wink:

inetk
14th August 2007, 10:54 AM
One more - the tune of 'kaNNAl pEsum peNNe, ennai mannippAyA' from mozhi(VS) sounds very similar to 'nee dhAn en dEsiya geetham ranjanA ranjanA' of pArthalE paravasam(ARR)...

While I don't think there's any similarity between the two, Kannaal pesum penne was based on Vidyasagar's own Malayalam song, 'Walking in the moonlight' from the film Satyam Shivam Sundaram (2000). Paarthaale Paravasam came out in 2001 :-)

Listen to the Walking in the moonlight, here (last track in both pages)...

http://www.raaga.com/channels/malayalam/movie/M0000654.html

http://www.musicindiaonline.com/music/malayalam/s/music_director.1296/

Karthik

MrJudge
14th August 2007, 04:45 PM
It doesnt change the fact, that it is still not an original song. Just the source is different. In fact it is a remix of a partially lifted/inspired song. And remixes technically qualify as lifts or copied songs(even if they are legally approved in which case it just becomes a legal lift). what is funnier is some loser YSR fans thinking that it is perfectly OK to lift and remix devotional songs as long as prior permission is obtained. Time is not far off when they will actually applaud YSR for releasing a fully remixed devotional album (with full prior permission of course). First Kanda naaL mudhalaai, now karpoora naayagiye, next what? Marudhamalai maamaNiye? :-)

Remix can't be original, well it should not be! Looks like some people don't even understand the basics of it and they form their opinions based on their ignorance!

Sanjeevi
14th August 2007, 05:09 PM
It doesnt change the fact, that it is still not an original song. Just the source is different. In fact it is a remix of a partially lifted/inspired song. And remixes technically qualify as lifts or copied songs(even if they are legally approved in which case it just becomes a legal lift). what is funnier is some loser YSR fans thinking that it is perfectly OK to lift and remix devotional songs as long as prior permission is obtained. Time is not far off when they will actually applaud YSR for releasing a fully remixed devotional album (with full prior permission of course). First Kanda naaL mudhalaai, now karpoora naayagiye, next what? Marudhamalai maamaNiye? :-)

Remix can't be original, well it should not be! Looks like some people don't even understand the basics of it and they form their opinions based on their ignorance!

Judge, it seems vijayr won't realize at all

vijayr, YSR is doing remixes, yes. So what dude? Remix is a legal one when it comes with proper permission. If you don't want leave it (even i don't want). That's all. :)

vijayr
14th August 2007, 08:00 PM
Remix can't be original, well it should not be!

Well naatamai, you atleast understood that, good, although it took some time. So there is nothing to feel happy about the fact that your MD leads in remixing. Because musically, it is still copying someone else's hard work and is unoriginal(even if legally it is OK). It makes him more of a remix artist than a MD. That's why I was trying to explain it to you and the other guy(who thought the fact that the song was a legal remix and not a single-line lift somehow puts YSR in a higher pedestal).

buggle
14th August 2007, 08:26 PM
Remix can't be original, well it should not be!

Well naatamai, you atleast understood that, good, although it took some time. So there is nothing to feel happy about the fact that your MD leads in remixing. Because musically, it is still copying someone else's hard work and is unoriginal(even if legally it is OK). It makes him more of a remix artist than a MD. That's why I was trying to explain it to you and the other guy(who thought the fact that the song was a legal remix and not a single-line lift somehow puts YSR in a higher pedestal).

Mr.Genius, please read my previous post carefully, i said ARR used suprabhatham tune in the interlude of marghazhi poove, i didn't say it was a total remix...
Thanks for taking your time to correct me, but before doing that try to get the correct source/info...

app_engine
14th August 2007, 09:19 PM
IMO, remixes / rearrangements should be discussed separate from "copied songs". While both are not originals (and the MD doesn't get any credit in both cases for his output), there is a difference. In the case of remix, he does not get "thiruttupattam" (as he acknowledges the original, buys the right etc. which is like getting a news from Reuters / PTI and publish verbatim in The Hindu, albeit with different font / color / arrangement....and hence legal). In the other case, he gets the esteemed title:-)

Going by the same analogy, brief phrases of well-known stuff like 'alai pAyudhE', 'suprabhAtham', 'vArAyen thOzhi vArAyO', 'sindhu nadhiyin misai' etc can be taken as "quotations"...(pAvam, MD's pizhaichchu pOgattum...they are just acknowledging the great originals like people quoting thirukkuRaL)...

I think we must focus on identifying the 'darling-darling's and 'nAn dhAnE oru pudhukkavidhai's...

NOV
14th August 2007, 09:34 PM
Another question - is the Hindi song prior to the LRE song? I'm sure the Mariamman song is released after the entry of IR into TFM - probably late 70's or 80's. Was MSV inspired by a Hindi song?... :evil: :x :hammer:

wrong on both counts. :evil:
album came out in 60s. other songs: Maariyamma Engal Maariyamma , Thaaye Karumaari, Karunai Ullam Kondavale, Chellatha Engal Maariyaththa, Angaalamma, Verkaadu Vaazhnthirukkum, Devi Karumaari Amma.

music was NOT by MSV.
Sri Krishna Ganam which came out in the early 70s was the only album by MSV (as a favour for Kannadhasan).
MSV was way too busy to do devotional albums during then. :roll:

NOV
14th August 2007, 09:38 PM
.... i said ARR used suprabhatham tune in the interlude of marghazhi poove, ...for literal copy of suprapaadham, listen to IR's sriranga ranga naadhanin paadham vandhanam seyyadi from Mahanadhi.

app_engine
14th August 2007, 09:39 PM
Before someone jumping to reply to my post, let me add a clarification:

IMO, people doing MD for films should not be compared with Bach/Beethoven/Mozart as the compulsions / measuring parameters for both groups are entirely different. IMO, the MD who takes an old MSV tune (or a similar source), cleverly modifies the old pallavi to his saraNam or the old saraNam to his pallavi or make it a little slower or faster, change one or two notes deliberately here and there to somehow hide the resemblance, and in the end earn a public name for great "creativity" is a much bigger criminal than these stupid remixers...

app_engine
14th August 2007, 09:43 PM
NOV:-)

I was already corrected by vijay as to who the composers were...in any case, it's not unusual for devotional songs to use film tunes (and vice versa)...

app_engine
14th August 2007, 09:44 PM
>>MSV was way too busy to do devotional albums during then<<

vElai vetti illAdhavanga dhAn devotional album seivAnga'nnu solReengaLA?:-))

NOV
14th August 2007, 09:53 PM
appadi illa app_engine :)

devotional albums then and now are very rarely done for devotion purposes. production of such albums are for making quick bucks, as the costs are low and paybacks high.

that being the case, producers of such albums do not seek out high end MDs as then the production costs will shoot up.

they are content with mnimum instruments, low costs and high turnover.

MrJudge
14th August 2007, 10:06 PM
It doesnt change the fact, that it is still not an original song.

People already told you that it is a remix song, that means no one claims here it is original. For which post you replied with the above line dude?? Atleast I took some time but looks like you are still taking your time :lol:

vijayr
14th August 2007, 10:49 PM
i said ARR used suprabhatham tune in the interlude of marghazhi poove, i didn't say it was a total remix...

but you did mention it as an example for devotional remix by other MDs before YSR, which is wrong. Thanks for noting it.

vijayr
14th August 2007, 11:29 PM
IMO, remixes / rearrangements should be discussed separate from "copied songs". While both are not originals (and the MD doesn't get any credit in both cases for his output), there is a difference. In the case of remix, he does not get "thiruttupattam" (as he acknowledges the original, buys the right etc. which is like getting a news from Reuters / PTI and publish verbatim in The Hindu, albeit with different font / color / arrangement....and hence legal). In the other case, he gets the esteemed title:-)

Remixes are different from copied/inspired songs for sure.
But, How many times have you seen the song being mentioned as a remix in the CD credits(or the original composer's name being mentioned)? Unless otherwise it is done so, the general listener would'nt know whether it was an original song or remix(unless otherwise they have heard the original song before on their own).
Many here initially thought that YSR was the original composer for "kanda naaL mudhaai' song. There were few sites that were praising this song in their reviews not knowing it was not an original. So that is equivalent to getting credit for doing something not original. Unless otherwise the listener himself is aware of the original he would'nt know that it is a remix.

vijayr
14th August 2007, 11:40 PM
People already told you that it is a remix song, that means no one claims here it is original. For which post you replied with the above line dude

for the post just before that by Buggle. You obviously did'nt get the context.
I was not trying to define what a remix song is, merely pointing out to him that there is nothing to rejoice about the fact that the entire song was unoriginal(even if lifted with legal permission) as against what I earlier thought was just a single-line inspiration. He was commenting with glee that it was a legally approved remix, as if that somehow made YSR more competent as a MD :-)

app_engine
15th August 2007, 12:09 AM
>>How many times have you seen the song being mentioned as a remix in the CD credits(or the original composer's name being mentioned)? <<

They should be doing it! (for e.g. any Paul Mauriat CD will have the complete details of the original, year etc. even who owns the rights).

சொல்லவில்லை என்றால், அதுவும் ஒரு வகை திருட்டு தான்...though not legally, morally (i.e. from the angle of getting credit from naive listeners)...

NOV
15th August 2007, 06:07 AM
சொல்லவில்லை என்றால், அதுவும் ஒரு வகை திருட்டு தான்......pidippattaal thaan oruththan thirudan :D

NOV
15th August 2007, 06:08 AM
well, strictly speaking REMIXES are usually done by juvenile artistes who capitalise on the popularity of earlier songs. the original song is taken and a layer of new sounds are added. real remixes are:

chandramukhi remix (where dialogues from the film are added to the soundtrack, with a new heavy thumping beat.)

loosu pennE (the fast beat - where yuvan has just added a layer to the original song (he composed) to give it a fast tempo feel).

oh ho ho ilamai from varalaaru - the rabbit mix.

re-recording an earlier song, strictly speaking is not a remix. one can call it a remake. examples include:

adhO andha paravai pOla vaazha vEndum (Madrasi - music Iman)

engEyum, eppOdhum sandhOsham by Malgudi Shuba (private album)

ARR's thottaal poo malarum does not fit into this category, as the tune is completely new.
besides those above, if a tune of an earlier song is used for a new song, it is simply a copy.

having said all these, i feel that a MD of yuvan's calibre should stay away from remixes and remakes and leave them to lesser MDs like Vijay Anthony and D Iman. :D

note: thee pidikka and namma kaattula are neither remixes nor remakes and definitely not copies. parts of old songs (originals) have been inserted for nostalgia and other effects. i personally enjoyed both songs very much.

Sanjeevi
15th August 2007, 10:25 AM
i feel that a MD of yuvan's calibre should stay away from remixes and remakes and leave them to lesser MDs like Vijay Anthony and D Iman. :D

note: thee pidikka and namma kaattula are neither remixes nor remakes and definitely not copies. parts of old songs (originals) have been inserted for nostalgia and other effects. i personally enjoyed both songs very much.

well said NOV :shock: :)

NOV
15th August 2007, 12:27 PM
sanjeevi, ippO edhukku shock? :huh:

app_engine
15th August 2007, 07:03 PM
சொல்லவில்லை என்றால், அதுவும் ஒரு வகை திருட்டு தான்......pidippattaal thaan oruththan thirudan :D

Digression:
நம்நாட்டில் பிடிபட்டாலும் திருடன் அல்ல:-) ஜாமீன் வாங்கிக்கொண்டு ஜாலியா இருப்பாங்க...ஏன், மந்திரி வேணாலும் ஆவாங்க:-)) Remember the AV cover joke, that landed the editor in jail?
End Digression

rajdes
16th August 2007, 01:03 PM
".. First Kanda naaL mudhalaai, now karpoora naayagiye, next what? Marudhamalai maamaNiye?.."
vijayr, padupaavi, I dont know if you are clairvoyant or karu-nakku or something but what I do know is that as we speak, there's a movie being made, named, well, marudhamalai, and whats more, in a stroke of 'genius', the director has got the MD to remix , what else, "marudhamalai mamaniye"..with some atrocious eve-teasing lyrics. There must be a TADA enacted specially for our kodambakkam directors :-)

vijayr
16th August 2007, 07:52 PM
Yeah, I just saw it :-) ennaththa solla ...
These guys could all join together and make non-TFM devotional remix CDs if they want to, atleast it will reach the devotee crowd.

zar
16th August 2007, 09:11 PM
I'm surprised this lift from Bheema has not caught anybody's attention here;

Listen to the song; Ragasiya Kanuval, the lines Irage Irage mayil irage is straight lift of the famous Ayyappan chant;

"Onnam thirupadi saranam ponn ayaapa...."[/b]

aruvi
16th August 2007, 10:08 PM
Thee Pidikka is no original:-) The bass rhythm that comes throughout the song is a direct lift(Yuvan has said and fans can say, inspiration) is from Raghav's Let's Work It Out album.

Thottal Poo Malarum is definitely not a remix.

app_engine
16th August 2007, 11:26 PM
zar, rahasiya kanavugal pallavi is lifted from T R Mahalingam classic 'senthamizh thEn mozhiyAL'...

app_engine
16th August 2007, 11:31 PM
>>parts of old songs (originals) have been inserted for nostalgia and other effects<<

NOV, this practice is now too frequent and often not for 'nostalgia' or any such effect but to simply make it catchy and like you said 'make quick bucks'...Even if we agree on the 'nostalgia' thing, it only proves that people want to listen more to old stuff (or old wine in new bottle) and do not care about the "original" works of these novices...

sachein
17th August 2007, 02:28 AM
I'm surprised this lift from Bheema has not caught anybody's attention here;

Listen to the song; Ragasiya Kanuval, the lines Irage Irage mayil irage is straight lift of the famous Ayyappan chant;

"Onnam thirupadi saranam ponn ayaapa...."[/b]

ada aamaaa :shock: :shock:

NOV
17th August 2007, 05:50 AM
what a sad state of affairs... :cry:

this morning i heard a remake on the radio... sirgaazhi's maamaa maamaa maamaa.
nothing is sacred any more.

100% Remakes

adhO andha paravai pOla vaazha vEndum
ennadi muniyamma un kannula mai
raadha kaadhal varaadhaa
maamaa maamaa maaamaa

:roll: :roll: :roll:

RR
17th August 2007, 07:44 AM
NOV,

Ithukke 'sad state' sollittaa eppadi. How about this?

http://music.cooltoad.com/music/song.php?id=307308

MrJudge
17th August 2007, 11:51 AM
Why don't you guys go to the remixes thread started by app_engine and discuss/condemn these songs there and leave this thread only for copying?

sachein
18th August 2007, 12:04 AM
pallikoodam trailer-uku pirates of carribean music.... unga alumbuku alave illa :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

app_engine
18th August 2007, 01:28 AM
Probably this was posted earlier in this thread...but only recently I heard this song 'theeNdith theeNdith theeyai moottukiRAyE'...didn't know which film or who was the MD...thought this song sounds nice, Raja'ish...

Hmmm... looks like the original is by Raja only:-) This blog has samples of both songs...original is from a hindi film "mahadev" by IR and the copy from the film "bala" by YSR...
http://isaiinbam.blogspot.com/2007/07/5.html

NOV
18th August 2007, 09:10 AM
Why don't you guys go to the remixes thread started by app_engine and discuss/condemn these songs there and leave this thread only for copying?vidiya vidiya raamayanam kEttuttu .... :banghead:

thineshan54321
18th August 2007, 07:30 PM
HJ FANS PLEASE DO NOT READ ANY FURTHER! IGNORANCE IS BLISS!!

<--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- If you continue reading its not my fault ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- this is for AR Rahman, other MDs (excluding HJ) and neutral fans ----------------------------------------- alright i warned you (now dont start any arguments, these are facts) ------------------------------>

I know this is not new as it happens most of the time. But I thought maybe I should contribute too.
Kanukku theriyurathu nooru, kannukku theriyathathu koodi!
It is true in the case of HJ copying ARR.
Recently I was listening to o paalanhare in CD quality as I bought the CD. I found yet anohter COPY by HJ.

Original
O Paalanhare
Lagaan
3:17-3:38

Theme Music
Lagaan
0:53-1:18

Here is a very famous song laysa laysa and the saranam is basically copied from the mentioned tunes above. Another thing to consider is that both the theme music and laysa laysa were sung by anuradha sriram. Maybe HJ made anuratha sing laysa laysa so that he doesnt have to teach the tune to her. HJ: "maam just sing the lagaan Theme Music starting tune with these lyrics... lyricist please tell her the lyrics, i am going to buy kanathil muthamitaal so i can find more tunes like this, maam after recording you can go, if u forgot the tune, lagaan CD is in the CD player. *smiles and leaves to buy the latest ARR album - kanathil muthamitaal* "

Copied
Laysa Laysa
12B
0:22-0:40

This might have been found by someone before, but if not, here it is. Guys imagine how ARR must feel when he finds out - as it is very easy for him to recognize - that his music is copied and is a hit and he is not getting any credit for it.

thineshan54321
18th August 2007, 07:30 PM
HJ FANS PLEASE DO NOT READ ANY FURTHER! IGNORANCE IS BLISS!!

<--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- If you continue reading its not my fault ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- this is for AR Rahman, other MDs (excluding HJ) and neutral fans ----------------------------------------- alright i warned you (now dont start any arguments, these are facts) ------------------------------>

I know this is not new as it happens most of the time. But I thought maybe I should contribute too.
Kanukku theriyurathu nooru, kannukku theriyathathu koodi!
It is true in the case of HJ copying ARR.
Recently I was listening to o paalanhare in CD quality as I bought the CD. I found yet anohter COPY by HJ.

Original
O Paalanhare
Lagaan
3:17-3:38

Theme Music
Lagaan
0:53-1:18

Here is a very famous song laysa laysa and the saranam is basically copied from the mentioned tunes above. Another thing to consider is that both the theme music and laysa laysa were sung by anuradha sriram. Maybe HJ made anuratha sing laysa laysa so that he doesnt have to teach the tune to her. HJ: "maam just sing the lagaan Theme Music starting tune with these lyrics... lyricist please tell her the lyrics, i am going to buy kanathil muthamitaal so i can find more tunes like this, maam after recording you can go, if u forgot the tune, lagaan CD is in the CD player. *smiles and leaves to buy the latest ARR album - kanathil muthamitaal* "

Copied
Laysa Laysa
12B
0:22-0:40

This might have been found by someone before, but if not, here it is. Guys imagine how ARR must feel when he finds out - as it is very easy for him to recognize - that his music is copied and is a hit and he is not getting any credit for it.

Kreedam
18th August 2007, 07:33 PM
I like HJ very much and i accept he has looted few tunes from ARR undoubtedly.

If the same happens Yuvan will easily take the place of #1 in his generation after IR and ARR

thineshan54321
18th August 2007, 08:14 PM
I like HJ very much and i accept he has looted few tunes from ARR undoubtedly.

If the same happens Yuvan will easily take the place of #1 in his generation after IR and ARR

Well whatever happens none of the current MDs (HJ, Yuvan, GVP) can replace ARR. Why? because everone is imitating ARR. Yuvan has different style (mix of IR and ARR) but its not enough. HJ will definitely not be the MD of next generation :lol: GVP might but his latest works resemble ARRs very much.

MrJudge
20th August 2007, 10:21 PM
vidiya vidiya raamayanam kEttuttu .... :banghead:

Vidinchidum pola irukku athaan unga raamayanaththai niruththa solren! Pothumpa!!

interz
22nd August 2007, 07:02 PM
How would you define a song like "Jalsa pannungada",the peppy song in Chennai 600028 that sounds very much lik "Senthamizh Thenmozhiyal" ??

A re-arranged song, re-mix, re-hash, re-tune??

app_engine
22nd August 2007, 10:59 PM
interz, "rahasiya kanavugal" from Bheema is another rehash of 'senthamizh thEn mozhiyAL'...

Music4Ever
23rd August 2007, 08:04 AM
I wanted to watch something that would take me away from the tedium while working out on the elliptical and chose the songs of Vijay's Sivakasi. Srikanth Deva has pillaged and plundered many old songs. He ripped off "boom boom maatu kaaran theruvil varandi" for use as interlude and post-lude (?) in the first song Ae vaada vaada thozha. As an aside, I was also reminded of "ellorum maavaatta kathukidanNum"; the latter also could be a rehash of the boom booom maadu song. That is not all, S.Deva also uses HJ's stuff from Anniyan, namely something that goes "you want salsa" or something like that and Bharadwaj's stuff from Cheena thaana doi number.

The next song had me quite frustrated, not because the original is not easily identifiable, but because I had forgotten the original; I haven't heard the number in ages. Srikant Deva proudly presents Deepavali Deepavali naandhandi. It is a complete rehash of "kalai maamani un rusiyE thani kondAdu", an old kamal song.

Podhumda saami!!

app_engine
23rd August 2007, 08:11 AM
music4ever,
Did you know that "boom boom mAttukkAran" is inspired from the disney classic 'chim chimney chim chimney chim chim cheree' from Mary Poppins? MD was Veda - andhakkAlaththu Deva...

Music4Ever
23rd August 2007, 08:41 AM
app_engine, now that you say, I seem to recall reading that here at forumhub sometime back. Wasn't Veda the aasthana MD for Modern talkies? You are right, he was antha kaalaththu Deva. S.Deva ivangaLa ellam minjiduvaru, though.

rajasaranam
23rd August 2007, 01:37 PM
I wanted to watch something that would take me away from the tedium while working out on the elliptical and chose the songs of Vijay's Sivakasi. Srikanth Deva has pillaged and plundered many old songs. He ripped off "boom boom maatu kaaran theruvil varandi" for use as interlude and post-lude (?) in the first song Ae vaada vaada thozha. As an aside, I was also reminded of "ellorum maavaatta kathukidanNum"; the latter also could be a rehash of the boom booom maadu song. That is not all, S.Deva also uses HJ's stuff from Anniyan, namely something that goes "you want salsa" or something like that and Bharadwaj's stuff from Cheena thaana doi number.

The next song had me quite frustrated, not because the original is not easily identifiable, but because I had forgotten the original; I haven't heard the number in ages. Srikant Deva proudly presents Deepavali Deepavali naandhandi. It is a complete rehash of "kalai maamani un rusiyE thani kondAdu", an old kamal song.

Podhumda saami!!

Its vanithamani from the movie Vikram :)

karthik_sa2
23rd August 2007, 06:11 PM
today happened to listen to a song "un vaazhvile vasanthamae vaa" starring rajini and maadhavi , not sure about the lyrics and not sur about the film too. the second interlude of this song is the exact same of "poonkaatru" from moonram pirai second interlude. it is the exact arrangement too. is it reusage by ir??? or copy by any other md???

rajasaranam
23rd August 2007, 08:08 PM
karthick,

http://forumhub.mayyam.com/hub/viewtopic.php?t=10279

karthik_sa2
23rd August 2007, 09:25 PM
rajasaranam,
thanks for the info... :)

Music4Ever
24th August 2007, 05:52 AM
Yes, RS, it is vanithamani and not kalai maamani :) It was difficult to refresh the tune itself in my memory, leave alone the words. Anyway, S.Deva deserves credit (!) for re-introducing the famous kamal song of yester years.

NOV
29th August 2007, 07:49 AM
I was humming Minnale song, azhagiya theeye and suddenly discovered an older song... :D

come on babe, don't do this babe = ayya saami aavoji saami :lol2:

that the ayyaa saami itself is a copy is another matter. :lol:

vijayr
29th August 2007, 10:49 AM
SPB's ennodu paattu paadungaL is such a delight. The insight he provides and the way he enjoys every song is a treat. Anyways, this was news to me- SPB sang the original SDB song "yeh dil deewana"(film-Ishq par zor nahin) from the charaNam of which starting with "bechain hota hai" IR had taken inspiration, added folksy flavour and came up with the charaNam of inji iduppazhaGi. This should fall under the inspired list, not copied definitely as the entire flavor is different(SPB was praising this). Apparently IR had liked the original and had wanted to his own version of it. IR being inspired by SDB is nothing new,but I didnt know about this particular song. Inji iduppazhagi of course went back to Hindi as paayale chun mun.

MrJudge
29th August 2007, 11:10 AM
vijayr:

This inspiration fact about 'ingi idupppazhagi' is very very old news. If I am not wrong, Kamal has hinted about this song way long back. Yes, EPP is such a good program.

kingvj
29th August 2007, 11:47 AM
.... Inji iduppazhagi of course went back to Hindi as paayale chun mun.

if there is one tune which got national award twice, that would be this..!!! SJ for Tamil and Chitra for Hindi.. enna olagamda..!!!

rajasaranam
29th August 2007, 04:39 PM
SPB's ennodu paattu paadungaL is such a delight. The insight he provides and the way he enjoys every song is a treat. Anyways, this was news to me- SPB sang the original SDB song "yeh dil deewana"(film-Ishq par zor nahin) from the charaNam of which starting with "bechain hota hai" IR had taken inspiration, added folksy flavour and came up with the charaNam of inji iduppazhaGi. This should fall under the inspired list, not copied definitely as the entire flavor is different(SPB was praising this). Apparently IR had liked the original and had wanted to his own version of it. IR being inspired by SDB is nothing new,but I didnt know about this particular song. Inji iduppazhagi of course went back to Hindi as paayale chun mun.

This was a very Old news Already said by Kamal in two or three occasions.In one of the interviews Kamal said that he quoted this song as an example wherein the tune revolves around the same notes/Scale and he wanted such a song from Raaja. Raaja started singing the song and deviated or found a variation and came up with 'Inji Idupazhagi'. He also Added that 'Namma intha madhiri oru paattu venumnna avar antha paatta thara maataar athulkulla poi vera oru puthu paatta namakka koduppaar'. This can also be extended to 'Naan Paarthathiley aval oruthiyai thaan' getting converted to 'Puthu Maappillaikku nalla yogamada' which was also mentioned by Kamal, SPB and Raaja himself in many other programmes.
When listening to the original 'Yeh dil Deewana' I am never able to relate it to 'Inji idupazhagi' even after its been said it was derived from that song, except for a small portion 'Bechain rehta hai' and this too happens keeping in mind the way SPB sang it ( He stretched it too far ;)). otherwise they are totally unrelated songs. :)
Yeh Dil Deewana here:
http://www.esnips.com/doc/766d21ee-e475-42b3-aeb0-50d45910997e/Ishq-Par-Zor-Nahin---Yeh-Dil-Deewana-Hai

app_engine
29th August 2007, 11:29 PM
When ARR got "inspired" from 'kallellAm mAnikkakkallAgumA' to manufacture 'sollAyO sOlaikkiLi' (or its hindi version prior), he made sure that nobody accuses him of "always" copying MSV - by adding a portion of inji iduppazhagi saraNam to part of the saraNam of that song:-)

(ok,ok this was also discussed here before and as usual ARR fans talked about either 'same rAgA' or 'unga Raja enna ozhungA, darling darling copy adikkalayA' or 'inji iduppazhagi kooda copynnu sonnAnga' etc....it's funny to see some ARR fans jumping into HJ threads to bash him of copying ARR, without knowing some of their master's sources)

littlemaster1982
29th August 2007, 11:36 PM
App_Engine,

Let it be inspired or copied or whatever. But pray don't compare this with HJ's blatant lifts.

app_engine
29th August 2007, 11:50 PM
kingvj,
I don't question the NA for KSC for the hindi inji iduppazhagi. It's for the singer and not the tune / music...(& KSC deserved her awards much more than others who got'em...'mayil pOla poNNu oNNu' is also a variant of inji iduppazhagi, IMO. The first interlude is almost the same...adhukkum award koduththuttAnga, Bhava'vukku:-))

NOV
10th September 2007, 06:18 PM
naanamO... innum naanamO :musicsmile:
what a lovely duet by TMS, PS.

now hear the copy in pallikkodam :roll:
rosemary, nee en juice maari

:banghead:

Sanjeevi
10th September 2007, 06:20 PM
naanamO... innum naanamO :musicsmile:
what a lovely duet by TMS, PS.

now hear the copy in pallikkodam :roll:
rosemary, nee en juice maari

:banghead:

:lol:

Yes I too felt :banghead:.

It is not wonder TB did not select an IR song to kill remember he is an big IR fan

MrJudge
10th September 2007, 08:45 PM
I think 'rose mary' is not a copy. It is kind of parody of the old song, it is very common in gana world??

NOV
11th September 2007, 06:52 AM
what to do?

when vaazha meenukkum vilangu meenukkum(copy of whistle adichaan kunjugalaa kunjugalaa) is rewarded as the song of the year :frightened: it will surely lead to more atrociousness. :cry:

cadburyboy
12th September 2007, 01:38 PM
Malgadi Shuba's 1991 Telugu pop song, 'Eddem Ante Teddam Antav', from the album 'Chik pak chik bam', with music by Raj Koti, seems to be the source of inspiration for Rahman's superhit Gentleman song, 'Ottakatha Kattikko'

http://www.itwofs.com/

app_engine
12th September 2007, 07:23 PM
I tend to believe ARR's involvement in the telugu source for 'ottakaththa kattikkO'...he even recycled in Bombay (the 'neeyum nAnum onnAnA...alla gullA' song)...this sandham is probably one of ARR's early favourites...kappalErippOyAchchu, pachchaikkiLikaL thOLOdu, suththi suththi vandheeha etc with mostly pitch and little timing variations...may be he did it for Koti...

MrJudge
14th September 2007, 12:32 PM
I watched 'ammuvaagiya naan' recently, there is this female solo song sounded like oru kili uruguthu from anantha kummi. But not an out-and-out copy but sounded like there are similarities. Anybody else seen it and felt that way?

K
15th September 2007, 10:26 AM
I watched 'ammuvaagiya naan' recently, there is this female solo song sounded like oru kili uruguthu from anantha kummi. But not an out-and-out copy but sounded like there are similarities. Anybody else seen it and felt that way?

yes that song sounds great, I felt the same, but it cant be said copy I think, great song

K
15th September 2007, 10:29 AM
I tend to believe ARR's involvement in the telugu source for 'ottakaththa kattikkO'...he even recycled in Bombay (the 'neeyum nAnum onnAnA...alla gullA' song)...this sandham is probably one of ARR's early favourites...kappalErippOyAchchu, pachchaikkiLikaL thOLOdu, suththi suththi vandheeha etc with mostly pitch and little timing variations...may be he did it for Koti...

Rahman was working with RAJ-Koti when he was Dhilip may be his tune was that, in those days Raj-Koti's songs were Sounded great(SOUNDED)

rajasaranam
18th September 2007, 07:40 PM
When The remake of Pithamagan in kannada was announced i was happy that IR is going to compose and thought of getting some variations of his haunting scores. Incidentally the movie titled 'Anatharu' is released but the composer's name is 'Sadhu kokila' who is also the director of the movie. He has shamelessly ripped off the tracks from Pithamagan and released it under his own name :(
Listen to believe how shameless people can get
http://www.musicindiaonline.com/music/kannada/s/movie_name.9310/

same thing happened two or three years back when Swathimuthyam/sippikkul muthu was remade. every single song was lifted and released under some one else's name.
I also listen to the songs 'Ennai thaalaatta varuvalo' and 'Rakkamma kaiyaa thattu' etc., here in bangalore often but the composer's names are different. Atleast there should be some credit given to the original composers DO they do it is a big question :?:

Vaz
18th September 2007, 07:53 PM
From ARR's interviews it seems that the rights for their songs are held by some X or Y companies. So even if they (ARR or IR) want to play a song during a concert they have to ask that X or Y companies for their "permission".

So I'm pretty sure Rajasaranam that the kind of copying you are describing cannot be done without their those companies' approval... coz' otherwise they would have themselves brought it to the limelight!

rajasaranam
18th September 2007, 08:16 PM
VAZ,

According to that analogy every single performing orchestra troupes Like Lakshman sruthi etc., and the live shows of SPB, Janaki and all else can be vindicated.
ARR's case is different the Audio companies try to cash in the fame and huge money ARR can generate through his shows and wants to keep the agreement on these lines, very strictly adhered to. ARR is trying to change that agreement clauses where in it states that permission should be taken from the audio companies to perform on stage.
How did Gulshan kumar amassed such wealth in the late 80's and 90's??? It is by a copyright Act which states that Any tune or orchestration cannot be termed as a copy if it is re recorded and there are some variations from the original. I remember reading an interview of Gulshan kumar in filmfare in the early 90's where he stated that whatever he was doing I.E., recording the old songs with the voices of kumar sanu / Anuradha paudwal etc., and releasing them as a separate album is very legal in accordance with the Indian copyright acts.

rajasaranam
18th September 2007, 08:34 PM
Repeattu - deleted :)

thumburu
4th October 2007, 05:28 PM
there is a new song which goes like "kichu kichu mootaadhe" where a juvenile excuse for a heroine is cavorting like a clown , wearing a school uniform , film unknown . This song is a rehash of vijay antony's "kalailaikku rathiri mel " song from "dishum" film.

SoftSword
4th October 2007, 05:44 PM
reg that ammuvagiya naan song... even i felt the same... deja vu of oru kili urugudhu song...

SoftSword
4th October 2007, 05:49 PM
and the "rangu rangamma" song from bheema...
i feel like there is a old song similar to this...
whih goes like "hey kannamma... un appan peru ennamma" not sure about the lyrics...

can someone help me...

R.Latha
5th October 2007, 03:26 PM
`இம்சை அரசன் 23-ம் புலிகேசி' படத்தை டைரக்டு செய்தவர், சிம்புதேவன். இவர் அடுத்ததாக, `அறை எண் 305-ல் கடவுள்' என்ற புதிய படத்தை டைரக்டு செய்கிறார். இது, டைரக்டர் ஷங்கரின் சொந்த படம் ஆகும். இந்த படத்துக்காக, கவிஞர் முத்துலிங்கம் ஒரு பாடலை எழுதியிருக்கிறார். அந்த பாடல் வரிகள் வருமாறு;-

குறையொன்றுமில்லை மறைமூர்த்தி கண்ணா

குறையொன்றுமில்லை கண்ணா

குறையொன்றுமில்லை கோவிந்தா

எல்லோர்க்கும் சில நேரம் வரும் சோதனை

இருந்தாலும் கூடாது மன வேதனை

வெற்றி தோல்வியாவும் - நம்

வாழ்க்கைப் பாடமே

தோல்வி காட்டும் ஞானம் - புது

வேதம் ஆகுமே

எது வந்தபோதும் அதையேற்றுக் கொள்வாய்

இருள்கூட ஒளிவீசும் துணிந்தே செல்வாய்

எதற்கும் ஓர் நாள் உண்டு எல்லோர்க்கும்

வாழ்வுண்டு

கீழ்நோக்கிப் பிடித்தாலும் மேல்நோக்கியே

எரிகின்ற சுடர்போல எழவேண்டுமே

மண்ணில் மூடினாலும் - விதை

மாய்ந்து போகுமோ - வலை

விண்ணில் வீசினாலும் - வான்

மீன்கள் வீழுமோ

உழைப்போர்க்கு இங்கே

இழப்பேதும் இல்லை

இழந்தாலும் அதை மீண்டும்

பெறுவார் கண்ணா

தளராது முயல்வோரே

வரலாறு படைப்பாரே

rajasaranam
5th October 2007, 08:18 PM
This 'Aaha mysooru mallige' song from a old kannada movie composed by GKV is claimed to be copied by Raaja.
http://www.udbhava.com/udbhava/songs.jsp?id=236
I can relate the tune but not getting which is it exactly???

app_engine
8th October 2007, 09:57 PM
This song has a Thamizh version (exactly same or very similar). Don't know which movie, though - may be prior to IR's time.

I don't think there's any IR song with this tune.

I think a couple of Thamizh lines from that song goes like .."ninaikkayil thEnAga inikkiRAi, nerungaiyil theeyAgakkodhikkiRAi"...

app_engine
8th October 2007, 10:16 PM
OK, I think there's another SPB-PS song with this tune, that probably goes like:

வா, வா, 300 மில்லியே, அட்ரஸ் சொல்லியே,
அண்டங்காக்கா நீ தாண்டி....etc...

Is it an IR song? Is so, which film?...

NOV
9th October 2007, 06:53 AM
குறையொன்றுமில்லை மறைமூர்த்தி கண்ணா
குறையொன்றுமில்லை கண்ணா
குறையொன்றுமில்லை கோவிந்தா:banghead:
there goes another classic.
is nothing sacred any more? :sigh2:

Shankar
9th October 2007, 01:43 PM
I won't be surprised...But you have to understand that most of the scores of GKV were ghost composed by either Raja or L Vaidyanathan...Both of them were asst to GKV. Apparently, many movies had Raja scoring the BG Scores, and you can clearly hear the Raja effect in the scores.

PS: This info is given by a serious kannada movie watcher. I have hardly watched kannada movies to comment on the scores.

SoftSword
10th October 2007, 02:29 PM
guys... the para para pattampoochi song in katradhu thamizh.... it sounds similar to the "ennamma... devi jakkamma" song from thambi...

or is it becos of the voice...
who is the md of that movie...? guess its vs..

thumburu
11th October 2007, 02:00 PM
For me , just the opening line of "para para pattaampoochi" is similar to the butterfly effect chorus humming of a song in
movie "Paramasivam" ? MD Vidhyasagar, song : "thanga kiLi onru"

SoftSword
16th October 2007, 05:46 PM
The remix "andru vandhadhum adhae nila" song from kannamoochi yenada has some similarities with Pavithra's "Sevvaanam" song...

The charanam "irandu kaigal illai endralo osai pirappadhillai..." looks similar to "pon udal thannai en kaiyil yaendha yaenadi yosikkirai..."

or is it a mere concidence...
but overall the song is good...

also, the kannamoochi aattam aadi... song has some english verses inbetween which sounds very sumilar to the Bombay dreams shakalaka baby verses...

interz
22nd October 2007, 07:52 PM
its off topic ?uestion:

What happened to amateur composers thread?? cant find it! :-(

NOV
23rd October 2007, 06:31 AM
D. Imaan! :evil:

sinnanchiru sittE endhan cheena karkandE

poonthOtta kaavalkkaaraa poo paraikka iththanai naalaa

thOttakkaara chinna maammaa

all the above songs in Kokki.. :rant:

NOV
23rd October 2007, 08:00 AM
What happened to amateur composers thread?? cant find it! :-(http://www.mayyam.com/hub/viewtopic.php?t=1563&start=30

Music4Ever
26th October 2007, 02:50 AM
Today I suddenly remembered a song from Nenjil oar Alayam. The evergreen "engirundhaalum vaazha". When I came to the part

Varuvaai ena naan thanimayil nindrEn

I sopped. Then when I came to the part

Yetriya deepam nilai pera vEndum

I again stopped and wondered which new song had the same tune. And then it dawned on me that

Aararai kodi pErgaLil oruvan
AdiYen thamizhan nAn ungal naNban

fitted the classic to a T.

One more inspiration by Rahman.

NOV
26th October 2007, 05:42 PM
was listening to satham podathe song - oh indha kaadhal... the interlude is to the tune of old hndi film hit aradhana song mere sapnonki rani kabbu aayargitho?

SoftSword
29th October 2007, 01:04 PM
was listening to satham podathe song - oh indha kaadhal... the interlude is to the tune of old hndi film hit aradhana song mere sapnonki rani kabbu aayargitho?

that tune was also used in pokkiri...
"nee muttham onru kodutthaal mutthamizh..."

somusic
29th October 2007, 08:27 PM
A song in Polladhavan- Minnalgal Koothadum sung by Karthick and Bombay Jeyasree ..........Music by GV Prakash.....

This song is lifted or inspired from Eminem..feat.Akon - Smack That song from the album Konvicted .....

Someone Stop this plagiarism...............

Music the Life Giver.........Music is Divine.........

rsamadhu2002
9th November 2007, 07:33 AM
Guys, some interesting stuff...I happened to listen to "Nam Naadu" accidentally. (Actually I ordered ATM from Ayngaran, but they gave nam naadu also with it !!!)

Movie: Nam Naadu
Cast: Sarathkumar
Music: Srikanth Deva

Vaazhaiyaagi Vaazhaiyaagi is not a remake but a blatant repeat of devuda devuda

Kaathal ennum thottathil: It's not just one or two songs...it's a blatant copy of three or more songs...one song is thioa thong (R.Kelly), another one is a famous kamal song, third one is also a famous tamil song (should be a ajith one)...Just listen...u will easily know the originals...

Ithu maathiri music directors irukkum boathu "Nam Naadu" thirunthaathu...

Maddy.

kingvj
9th November 2007, 10:17 AM
doesnt the ATM song "maduraikku pogadhadi" sound fleetingly similar to "pallikkodam pogamaley" from "vaigasi porandhachu"? or is it my imagination? :-)

Renault
10th November 2007, 12:39 PM
Kingvj,

U hit the nail straight on the head.. I was also thinking the same for the past few days.. that song indeed on first hearing took me back in time to that Vaigaasi poranthachu song.

interz
11th November 2007, 01:32 AM
Nam Naadu had two music directors. Srikanth Deva and Jeyaram Pushparaj.

IMo "Vaalaiyadi" song doesnt sound like Srikanth Deva compostion, must be Jeyaram pushparajs song, however I agree with you , the song is plain copy o devuda devuda.

Pveena
11th November 2007, 01:56 AM
Guys, some interesting stuff...I happened to listen to "Nam Naadu" accidentally. (Actually I ordered ATM from Ayngaran, but they gave nam naadu also with it !!!)

Movie: Nam Naadu
Cast: Sarathkumar
Music: Srikanth Deva

Vaazhaiyaagi Vaazhaiyaagi is not a remake but a blatant repeat of devuda devuda

Kaathal ennum thottathil: It's not just one or two songs...it's a blatant copy of three or more songs...one song is thioa thong (R.Kelly), another one is a famous kamal song, third one is also a famous tamil song (should be a ajith one)...Just listen...u will easily know the originals...

Ithu maathiri music directors irukkum boathu "Nam Naadu" thirunthaathu...

Maddy.

Oh my gosh, you can't get anymore obvious than that...really, who uses R.Kelly for inspiration - that's just wrong.....

.....plus there are verses where the tune is TOTALLY lifted from the "o nenje" song from Ajith's Mugavari (i think the music director for that film was Deva)

somusic
11th November 2007, 11:52 AM
.PVEENA wrote
....plus there are verses where the tune is TOTALLY lifted from the "o nenje" song from Ajith's Mugavari (i think the music director for that film was Deva)

' That song "O Nenje" itself a lift from Backstreet Boys song
"Get Down Get Down"
Go to this link...and hear Get Down song

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GsKQq0rlBTY

Deva Family. :lol: :lol: [/url]

kingvj
11th November 2007, 12:05 PM
oru kudumbamaaththaan alaiyiraainga....!!!!

thumburu
16th November 2007, 02:51 PM
ARR has copied the tune of "ella pugazhum" line of film "ATM" from some popular old hindi/english or tamil song which Iam not able to exactly figure out. Could somebody tell what song it is lifted from?

thumburu
16th November 2007, 02:52 PM
ARR has copied the tune of "ella pugazhum" line of film "ATM" from some popular old hindi/english or tamil song which Iam not able to exactly figure out. Could somebody tell what song it is lifted from?

SoftSword
16th November 2007, 02:55 PM

yes...

hindi : "ek do theen..." from movie "hawa hawa"

and from tamil : "malarndhu malaraadha..." from "paasa malar"

good catch...

xml
20th November 2007, 05:35 PM
I agree with you. Many songs from ATM is just remix of old songs. I can tell some of them

Ellapughalum = Nalla nalla pillaigale neenga ; Movie - Manasukketha maharasa ; MD - Deva

Maduraikku = Pallikoodam pogamale ; Movie - Vaigasi porandachu; MD-Deva

Kelamal = This reminds me as a mix of two songs. MD IR's Ahgayavennilave; Movie -Arangertavelai + Aqua

Valaiyapatti = Andangakka kondakari; Movie -Annyan; MD-HJ

SoftSword
20th November 2007, 06:24 PM
and two more...

ponmagal = thaai illaamal naan illai... MD - Vedha

marlin manroe = keechu kiliyae - MD - Deva

and there are two other songs which were composed but not released...
And they are copies of Deva's songs...

This MD should be chased out of the industry...

dinesh2002
20th November 2007, 06:51 PM
I agree with you. Many songs from ATM is just remix of old songs. I can tell some of them

Ellapughalum = Nalla nalla pillaigale neenga ; Movie - Manasukketha maharasa ; MD - Deva

Maduraikku = Pallikoodam pogamale ; Movie - Vaigasi porandachu; MD-Deva

Kelamal = This reminds me as a mix of two songs. MD IR's Ahgayavennilave; Movie -Arangertavelai + Aqua

Valaiyapatti = Andangakka kondakari; Movie -Annyan; MD-HJ

:lol: :lol: :lol:

dinesh2002
20th November 2007, 06:54 PM
and two more...

ponmagal = thaai illaamal naan illai... MD - Vedha

marlin manroe = keechu kiliyae - MD - Deva

and there are two other songs which were composed but not released...
And they are copies of Deva's songs...

This MD should be chased out of the industry...

tell me bout it.... and its ONLY this MD is doing it.... damn!!! tamil industry is in a toast.... XML...come & save us..... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

SoftSword
20th November 2007, 07:10 PM
dinesh...

come on...
dont make fun...

be serious where you are supposed to be...

Movies
21st November 2007, 07:44 AM
The Song Yei Nenje enai kelamal from April mathathil
( http://www.musicindiaonline.com/music/tamil/s/movie_name.4183/
)
has a lot of similarities in various parts to the following song by Sting :
http://youtube.com/watch?v=UppX6vP3c4g

Any thoughts ppl?

Billgates
21st November 2007, 09:26 AM
If ARR really wishes his reputation to be intact and be placed alongside legends like MSV, IR then he should shun doing remix or rehash or retune whatever it may be.
Pity that he has also plunged into this current unholy development

MADDY
21st November 2007, 12:22 PM
If ARR really wishes his reputation to be intact and be placed alongside legends like MSV, IR then he should shun doing remix or rehash or retune whatever it may be.

illa theriyama dhaan kekkuran, where will u classify the "remix-all" song by IR in Pithamagan??? :roll:

rajasaranam
21st November 2007, 08:10 PM

illa theriyama dhaan kekkuran, where will u classify the "remix-all" song by IR in Pithamagan??? :roll:

Adadaa 'MEDLEY' kkum 'REMIX' kkum Vithyasam theriyama thaan nee innum TFM'la kuppa kottittu irukiyaa???
Well athula remix enga iruntha :roll: antha antha paatta apdiyae vetti otti irukaanga. Kaathu konjam clean pannittu Kelumaa :wink:

app_engine
21st November 2007, 08:14 PM
In any case, "remix" is not "copy". The basic difference comes in "acknowledgement".

I think we should focus on "copying" in this thread and discuss "remix" in the other designated thread.

shocker
22nd November 2007, 12:58 AM
a lot of people are saying 'copying' and 'remixing'
you need to be careful how you say it...
They could be copying, they could be remixing but most likely just INSPIRED!!!
i agree the level of inspiration does differ in differnt cases!

somusic
22nd November 2007, 02:39 AM

yes...

hindi : "ek do theen..." from movie "hawa hawa"

and from tamil : "malarndhu malaraadha..." from "paasa malar"

good catch...

Oh wat's this..............
Other posts regarding ATM.......oops ....where it matches .........
Except Kellamal (I think it's the same raga "dharbari kannada" used by raja sir in kalyana then nila song......that song itself reminds me a M.S.Subbulakshmi song in the same raaga)
Just play these pieces in piano.........its not matching.............

shocker
22nd November 2007, 03:03 AM
i think people assume that its a copy becuase it uses the same raaga and so sounds similar

Billgates
22nd November 2007, 09:27 AM
In any case, "remix" is not "copy". The basic difference comes in "acknowledgement".

I think we should focus on "copying" in this thread and discuss "remix" in the other designated thread.

There is a diffrence between ARR's revisit of Thottal poo malarum. Here , he has reused the lyrics only . The tune, orchestration are all ARR's
But Ponmagal Vandhal is virtually a copy of the original tune ( & even TMS's voice could be heard inbetween !). IMO, this is more or less copy.
You do whatever you want to on a lyric by applying a new tune, orchestration. But if you are going to use the same tune, its as good as a copy.

MADDY
22nd November 2007, 09:29 AM

Adadaa 'MEDLEY' kkum 'REMIX' kkum Vithyasam theriyama thaan nee innum TFM'la kuppa kottittu irukiyaa???
Well athula remix enga iruntha :roll: antha antha paatta apdiyae vetti otti irukaanga. Kaathu konjam clean pannittu Kelumaa :wink:

i just asked where to classify it :roll: .....i have loads of better examples if i had to criticise IR

i got doubt cos, i thot, voices were added by IR in that piece.......

littlemaster1982
22nd November 2007, 09:45 AM

There is a diffrence between ARR's revisit of Thottal poo malarum. Here , he has reused the lyrics only . The tune, orchestration are all ARR's
But Ponmagal Vandhal is virtually a copy of the original tune ( & even TMS's voice could be heard inbetween !). IMO, this is more or less copy.
You do whatever you want to on a lyric by applying a new tune, orchestration. But if you are going to use the same tune, its as good as a copy.

How on earth can a remix be a copy????

To remix a track, one would heavily sample, or remake the track leaving enough similarities that it is recognizable as a variation on the original.

http://www.audiosentials.com/?q=node/10

Understand the basics and then criticize, friend.

cadburyboy
24th November 2007, 03:23 PM
i think arr has used the starting tune of
Artist: Elvis Presley
Song: Words
Album: In Person At The International

in kaithatti thatti alaithalei song in jodi..

kingvj
25th November 2007, 11:11 PM
the old song "kankanda deivamey kai vandha selvamey" from "Keezhvaanam sivakkum" sounds similar to the famous "parde mein rahne do" by Asha Bhosle.

somusic
26th November 2007, 12:02 AM
Great dude ,,,yes its simular.........
but we must know that it is a old hindi song,,,,,,,,,,,,
used by asha ji.........

Billgates
26th November 2007, 09:02 AM
used by asha ji.........

I thought Isainyani fans will have some isai nyanam :lol:
That Kankanda deivame is actually set on raag Sindhu bhairavi & any such raga is applied, you will feel the similarity !
Now, on the same grounds can I say that Naan oru sindhu is a lift from Kankanda deivame ??
Better learn the nuances of music & comment dude :wink:

somusic
26th November 2007, 08:51 PM
used by asha ji.........

I thought Isainyani fans will have some isai nyanam :lol:
That Kankanda deivame is actually set on raag Sindhu bhairavi & any such raga is applied, you will feel the similarity !
Now, on the same grounds can I say that Naan oru sindhu is a lift from Kankanda deivame ??
Better learn the nuances of music & comment dude :wink:

.....learn the nuances of music & comment dude......wats this............
I know that dude,,,,,........
Film Name: Shikaar
Year: 1968
Singer(s) Asha Bhonsle
Lyricist: Hasrat Jaipuri
Musician(s): Shankar Jaikishan ..........i think the raaga used here is Nand

This song Kankanda Deivamme by MSV sir in keezh vaanam sivakkum(1981). Msv sir would have inspired by Snakar-jaikishens work..........
Read correctly and reply dude..............because i didnt mention about lifted or copied..........

kutti_anand
27th November 2007, 12:59 PM
Hi,

I heard an english song in a shopping mall which was same as kattipudi kattipudi(kushi) song. This song has the same beat as Masi Masam aalana ponnu(Dharmadurai, rajni movie). I thought only the beats were copied, but was shocked when i heard the english song. i dunno what english song it is. but it resembles the lines, "nenjamellam meesai mudi...........".

Deva - The biggest Xerox machine!!!! :lol:

SoftSword
27th November 2007, 02:14 PM
Leave Deva alone boss...
he is busy doing gaana-kuyil in kaignar tv...

kingvj
27th November 2007, 05:09 PM
its a wellknown thing that "kattipudi" is a slow version of "sendhamizh thaen mozhiyaal" with beats from "maasimaasam aalaana ponnu". the whole album of kushi is ctrl+C/ctrl+v.

kutti_anand
27th November 2007, 06:56 PM
can u let me know whats that english song, that was suttufied by deva for kattipudi kattipudi?

karthik_sa2
2nd December 2007, 06:54 PM
is "madurai'ku pogadhae di " of atm remix of some song ...i can relate ot to a ir song something very similar to that..i can hum the song but couldn get the lyrics or film name..will get it shortly ..also it resembles "pattanam dhaan pogalamadi pombalae panam kaasu seakalamadi"very old song...composed by msv-ramamurty.again not sure of the movie

karthik_sa2
2nd December 2007, 07:18 PM
one more song "Kelaamal" from atm resembles "aagaya vennilaave"from arangetra velai.just a very small part

Sanjeevi
3rd December 2007, 10:44 AM
I feel there is a relation between Ithu Enna Maayam (Oram po) and Muthal Naal Inru (Unnalae Unnalae).

xml
4th December 2007, 09:45 PM
Not only Kelaamal. The remaining songs Maduraikku reminds Deva's pallikoodam pogamale and Valayapatti reminds annyan's Rendakka.

crvenky
5th December 2007, 10:07 AM
Is the song En manasa parikoduthu (PJ-Ullam Kavarndha Kalvan) inspired from Gori tera gaon bada (KJY-?).

SVN
7th December 2007, 11:23 AM
'Maduraikku Pogathadee''s pallavi line is exactly the same as 'Raja kaiya Vachaa' from Apoorva Sahodarargal.

SoftSword
7th December 2007, 11:45 AM
'Maduraikku Pogathadee''s pallavi line is exactly the same as 'Raja kaiya Vachaa' from Apoorva Sahodarargal.

Try singing the madhuraikku lines in the Raja kaiya vecha tune before using the word exactly same...

sureshmehcnit
7th December 2007, 12:31 PM
Clever Sabesh-Murali... Thavamai Thavamirundhu background score piece

http://backgroundscore.blogspot.com/2007/12/clever-sabesh-murali.html

dinesh2002
7th December 2007, 02:35 PM

Try singing the madhuraikku lines in the Raja kaiya vecha tune before using the word exactly same...

Vidunge vidunge, intha people'lekke avalavuthaan knowledge intha field la....konjum mele parunge... oru periya joke oru periya joke'ke sollirekaaru..... Valayapathi = Randaka.... ithe inge poi solli sirikirathu?? :lol: :lol: :lol:

SoftSword
7th December 2007, 02:47 PM
dinesh...

regarding his comparision or randakka with valayapatti...

its natural...
i remember my grandfather here...
he has never visited or known any places other than south india...
so whichever foreign country he sees in tv or in some photo, he calls it america...
we cant blame it on him also, cos if you have very little knowledge about certain things, then its natural that you confuse with them...

kham
7th December 2007, 03:16 PM
dinesh...

its natural...
so whichever foreign country he sees in tv or in some photo, he calls it america...
we cant blame it on him also, cos if you have very little knowledge about certain things, then its natural that you confuse with them...

Ithellam Romba Over... Aaama Aluthidiven...

kham
7th December 2007, 03:17 PM
dinesh...

its natural...

Ithellam Romba Over... Aaama Aluthidiven... :lol: :lol: :lol:

dinesh2002
8th December 2007, 07:42 AM
dinesh...

its natural...

:lol: :lol: :lol: ithe padhike avaru illaiyeeee, ilaiyee [ actor shivaji style ] :mrgreen:

Vysar
8th December 2007, 07:12 PM
Evano Oruvan movie is a clever and faithful adaptation of the Hollywood movie "Falling Down" which Stars Michael Douglas and Robert Duvall. Our critics are hue and cry that this movie is the best thing happened to Tamilcinema. He even lifted the scene where Michael Douglas tries to get a coke in a store and also replaced the baseball bat with a cricket bat.

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/falling_down/

interz
11th December 2007, 03:27 AM
Sorry Sinthiya, you already wrote that in a thread for the movie songs from Kathalil Vilunthean, I didnt read it before.

Credit: Sinthiya

Unakkena Naan (latest release Kathalil Vilunthean, music by Vijay Anthony) is a copy of ...Rihannas "Unfaithful".

I think most people know, that song is ripped.

thumburu
17th December 2007, 03:51 PM
In "kannathil muthamittaal" , there are places where the bgm( rerecording) seems to be ripped of from some of Rahman's old tunes for Manirathnam like "KannaaLaney" and there is also a song sounding like "en uyire en uyire" . A lacklustre work by ARR

MrJudge
19th December 2007, 01:05 PM
:)

dinesh2002
19th December 2007, 04:02 PM
In "kannathil muthamittaal" , there are places where the bgm( rerecording) seems to be ripped of from some of Rahman's old tunes for Manirathnam like "KannaaLaney" and there is also a song sounding like "en uyire en uyire" . A lacklustre work by ARR

:rotfl:

:thumbsup: keep up the good work... next top comedian neengal thaan...

Shankar
20th December 2007, 01:47 PM
>>>>
keep up the good work... next top comedian neengal thaan...
<<<<
It's difficult to displace you from the top...don't worry, dude.

MrJudge
20th December 2007, 03:13 PM
>>>>
<<<<

:rotfl: :rotfl:

dinesh2002
20th December 2007, 05:24 PM
>>>>
<<<<

aik.... ennapa ithu... avangele sonna ungalakku kuthethe?? ohh...sorry sorry... naan ungge patheivi patthi pesithena? sorry bro...

dinesh2002
20th December 2007, 05:28 PM
>>>>
<<<<

:rotfl: :rotfl:

Parunge.... naame Naathamai koode ungge post pathe sirikirare... :lol: kandipa neenge thaan Joker Arasan , Sir Shankar ;)

rajasaranam
21st December 2007, 12:26 PM
This is a shocker :shock:

I recently came to know there was a don/billa remake in telugu in 1979 titled 'Yugandhar' in which NTR acted in the lead role :roll: and Raaja composed the music for the movie. This was his first direct telugu and only movie for NTR i presume.
After a long search i got hold of the songs and.....
http://www.mediafire.com/?8j4yjxmbzne
This was a shock for me listening 'Ye Rabba vesukunna' which is a blatant lift from 'Kaike Paan banaras waala' :cry: Usually Raaja just gets inspired and takes cue from the original and composes in his own way. But here is song which is a lift from tune/BGM and everything. Apart from 'Kanavu kaanum' This becomes a complete lift and interestingly both songs are composed by Kalyanji-Anandji.

SoftSword
21st December 2007, 12:28 PM
maybe the director would have insisted him to use the same tune...

Billgates
21st December 2007, 12:33 PM

I recently came to know there was a don/billa remake in telugu in 1979 titled 'Yugandhar' in which NTR acted in the lead role :roll: and Raaja composed the music for the movie. This was his first direct telugu and only movie for NTR i presume.
This was a shock for me listening 'Ye Rabba vesukunna' which is a blatant lift from 'Kaike Paan banaras waala' :cry: Usually Raaja just gets inspired and takes cue from the original and composes in his own way. But here is song which is a lift from tune/BGM and everything. Apart from 'Kanavu kaanum' This becomes a complete lift and interestingly both songs are composed by Kalyanji-Anandji.

Look, during this phase, IR was consolidating his position in cinema . Could be quite possible because Priya ( 79 -80 release ? )had lots of lifts , loops which he had built . This telugu movie could be one exception. Spare him . Atleast he had scored a mammoth 800 ++ movies . 1 or 2 here and there , no issues .

To me, the biggest shock is NTR donning that character ! :shock: :lol:

SoftSword
21st December 2007, 12:39 PM

Look, during this phase, IR was consolidating his position in cinema . Could be quite possible because Priya ( 79 -80 release ? )had lots of lifts , loops which he had built . This telugu movie could be one exception. Spare him . Atleast he had scored a mammoth 800 ++ movies . 1 or 2 here and there , no issues .

naenae BILLAlu !!

Shankar
21st December 2007, 01:56 PM
>>>>
Parunge.... naame Naathamai koode ungge post pathe sirikirare... kandipa neenge thaan Joker Arasan , Sir Shankar
<<<<

:-)

rajasaranam
21st December 2007, 02:40 PM

Iam not vilifying him in anyway and my 'Bhakthi' for him is not going to dimish an iota even i come to know in future that few more songs are a lift :wink: Its just that Iam shocked because he normally doesnt lift so blatantly. Even in priya he just used some phrases here and there. But here is a song which is a lift from tune to BGM. Thats why i expressed my shock.
i Agree that Comparing to his original scores this is just a slip.

And NTR as Don was definitely a bigger shock :smokesmirk: I would love to see the movie now, to laugh out at his histrionics :bluejump: :redjump: :bluejump:

rajasaranam
21st December 2007, 02:40 PM
Repeat - Deleted

app_engine
24th December 2007, 09:17 PM
http://ww.smashits.com/tsearch/music/song/dhasare.html

This church song must be an ARR favourite...at least a couple of his songs have traces of inspiration from this...not difficult to guess which songs are:-)

Music4Ever
25th December 2007, 04:48 AM
Had some time today so relaxed by hearing all those listed Christian songs. Many of them are already quite familiar to me since I studied in a school where such devotional songs were sung before the morning classes began.

Can you be more specific since it is not at all clear to me which ones ARR took inspiration from? And I am saying this seriously since I have listened to many Rahman songs quite closely and can even recall the interludes in most. As far as I can say, the orchestration in some of the songs in that list that I listened to remind MSV-TKR songs of the sixties and MSV's of the seventies and early eighties.

app_engine
25th December 2007, 07:10 AM
Music4Ever,
It's not uncommon for our MD's to derive inspiration from devotional songs. It's wellknown that 'thAyumAnEn, thanga iLa mAnE' of IR (film- engEyO kEtta kural) is inspired from 'dEvanE nAn umadhaNdaiyil', a protestant church song. The above song 'dhAsarE iththaraNiyai anbAi YEsuvukku sondhamAkkuvOm' has got into ARR's brain IMO. If you listen to this song (in the link posted above), you'll be able to immediately spot the two ARR songs that are inspired from it...

app_engine
25th December 2007, 07:19 AM
Was just watching "gireedam" (Is GVP the MD?) One of the songs is heavily inspired from 'manasu mayangum' of sippikkuL muthu. This tune is even oft repeated in BGMs (the 'mouna geetham pAAdu' & 'sippikkul muththu thEdu' part is the catchy part in that song and that's the portion repeated in the song and OST.

(Digression - watching this movie made me resolve never again to watch the Thamizh remake of ANY Malayalam movie that I've seen)

SoftSword
26th December 2007, 11:02 AM

This church song must be an ARR favourite...at least a couple of his songs have traces of inspiration from this...not difficult to guess which songs are:-)

am not able to recall any tune of arr which are similar to this song...

kingvj
27th December 2007, 05:45 PM

even i am not able to find out which song(s) were apparently inspired. ..!! :-)

Hulkster
27th December 2007, 05:47 PM
Same here...i cant find a inspiration :?

kingvj
27th December 2007, 06:46 PM
"ragasiya kanavugal" from Bheema troubles me for 2 reasons.

1. the 'iragaey iragaey mayiliragaey' chorus in anupallavi resembles the charanam of 'arali vidhayil' of Kovil (both by HJ).
1(a). that chorus part is of some very old song which doesnt spring to mind. the 2nd half pattern of the chorus is whats bugging me.
2. the song itself somehow reminds me of "kaadhal vandhadum" of Poovellaam Unvaasam.

someone enlighten me..!! :-)

SoftSword
27th December 2007, 07:01 PM
that iragey iragey mayiliragae chorus is actually inspired from "ondraam thiruppadi saranam pon ayyappa... saaami pon ayyappa... ayyanae pon ayyappa... saami'yillaadhoru saranam illayappa..." a famour ayyappan song...

bu ti am sure, HJ would have used it purposefully, just like yuvan used that "karpoora nayagiyae kanagavalli..." for karuppana kaiyaalae enna pudicha..." for thamirabarani...

so no coomplains...

sometimes, i feel that song to be a slower version of senthamizh thaenmozhiyaal... but i don want to claim it as a lift...

altogether an nice song that one...

app_engine
27th December 2007, 10:06 PM
ok, one of the songs that shows traces of inspiration was in Hindi that I heard long back (and later made into Thamizh in a film called Jodi...goes like 'thatti thatti' or something like that)...

SoftSword
28th December 2007, 10:41 AM
You cant call it an inspiration...
of you find some minor similarities in the tune flow, you could call it a coincidence...
or if only i am not able to feel the inspiration?

app_engine
28th December 2007, 11:25 PM
Softsword, as I said just traces. The other song that was 'newyork nagaram', i.e. based on my son's singing. However, when I heard the song a little closely yesterday, I won't say there are any traces of 'dhAsarE' in it. Still, it was ringing some familiar tune...engEyO kEtta oru feeling. Some parts can be traced to portions of BoneyM's Rasputin (not the first line of Rasputin, but the verse just before rA rA -or lA lA- rasputin, the one that has majestic string accompaniment).

Irene Hastings
29th December 2007, 12:13 PM
[tscii:79bd83402d]Manamagale manamagale -- from Devar Magan is a lift from MSV’s Malargal sooti manjal sooti valayalil pooti ----from Karnan. [/tscii:79bd83402d]

Sanjeevi
29th December 2007, 12:59 PM
Irene Hastings

MSV song link kodunga sir, will analyse

Irene Hastings
29th December 2007, 01:20 PM
Ada Nyana soonyame !

Is there anyone today who doesnt know the songs of Karnan !! :x

Well, this only shows what kind of a music follower you are !

Sanjeevi
29th December 2007, 01:29 PM
Ada Nyana soonyame !

Is there anyone today who doesnt know the songs of Karnan !! :x

Well, this only shows what kind of a music follower you are !

Ayya mutrum therintha munivarae,

enakku pattu gnabagam illai ayya,

naanae net-la thedi parthuttu compare panni unga Isai Gnana arivai pathi appurama pesalam

kingvj
30th December 2007, 03:30 PM
[tscii:053b704211]Manamagale manamagale -- from Devar Magan is a lift from MSV’s Malargal sooti manjal sooti valayalil pooti ----from Karnan. [/tscii:053b704211]

i dont see any 'lift'. if at all there is, it could be just 'inspiration'. further, calling a person 'nyana soonyam' when the other person wasnt provoking, isnt the right way in a discussion forum. :-(

Music4Ever
2nd January 2008, 09:59 AM
app_engine, thanks for your response to my question. I am enjoying time in Bangalore, presently, and will soon be in Chennai :) I will listen to the song that you mentioned more closely and get back to you after reaching the US in mid January.

Was recently in Cochin and when traveling to Guruvayoor, I listened to some songs of Ravindran. One song was quite similar to IR's Raga deepam Etrum nnEram puyal mazhaiyo. Another reminded me of Kannan oru Kai Kuzhandhai song. I believe IR's songs must have come first, since the driver conjectured those Ravindran songs to be from the mid eighties.

Was listening to some ad song by SEL recently on the TV; the beats are blatantly lifted from Maaro maaro song from Boys. Are there others who get annoyed like me when they listen to SEL songs in general? They are mostly ARR type of numbers, IMO.

thumburu
17th January 2008, 03:42 PM
well, Deva brothers see to it that they remain ever faithful to their "xerox copier" clan.
There is a song from "ammuvagiya naan" where some portions have been lifted from ARR's song "Roja Roja". "Roja Roja" pallavi itself is copied from 2 songs of MSV's "Varumaiyin niram sigappu" , "poove poove solai poove" and "sippi irukkudhu"

gaya3
18th January 2008, 12:11 AM

Ilayaraja was forced to give the same tunes as in Hindi by the producers/director, because of the popularity of songs in Hindi. I read this news in those days itself. But IR gave 2 ultimate songs in Yugandhar (his own tunes). One is 'Naa Paruvam' and the other one is 'Daa Daa Daa'. Beautiful music. If you get a chance, listen to them.

gaya3
18th January 2008, 12:14 AM

Iam not vilifying him in anyway and my 'Bhakthi' for him is not going to dimish an iota even i come to know in future that few more songs are a lift :wink: Its just that Iam shocked because he normally doesnt lift so blatantly. Even in priya he just used some phrases here and there. But here is a song which is a lift from tune to BGM. Thats why i expressed my shock.
i Agree that Comparing to his original scores this is just a slip.

And NTR as Don was definitely a bigger shock :smokesmirk: I would love to see the movie now, to laugh out at his histrionics :bluejump: :redjump: :bluejump:

NTR acting as Don was hillarious. The film was copied each and every bit from Hindi. For eg., in Hindi, Amitabh is a left hander, (I guess he is natually left hander), in Telugu NTR acted as a left hander too. Funny.

thumburu
18th January 2008, 05:09 PM
Although the writing on the wall is LOUD and CLEAR that the current crop of MD's can hardly measure up to the knee level of yesteryear giants, newbies like GVP better watch out lest he ends up being another SrikantDeva. In "KaaLai" , there is a stupid song starting like "dandanakka kutti pisaasu" which is simply ripped off from Yuvan's "ammaadi athaadi" kuthu song from "Vallavan". Even the picturization seems very close to that. Kodambakkathila tune and ideakku ivvaLo panjama?

SoftSword
18th January 2008, 05:32 PM
true thamburu...
the kaalai songs are all crap...
am wondering how can a guy of akkam pakkam, urugudhae caliber can deliver such crappy songs...

dinesh2002
18th January 2008, 06:17 PM
there is 2 good song in Kaalai, Madhushree's & Mamtha's number. others yea, very bad. agreed. but those 2 songs above mentioned is not crap.

karthik_sa2
19th January 2008, 11:24 PM
"yaarum vilayadum thotam" from nadodi thendral ... is it an inspiration from "oh ek ladki ko dheka to" from 1944 luv story???last night when i heard it i felt that way...

just wanted to say here romaba nallaiku apporam all the time song kaetaen from the same nadodi thendral... appa what a genious he is ???nadula konjam folk vera mix panni kannla thanniye vandhidichu

thumburu
21st January 2008, 03:09 PM
karthik_sa2, for your kind info, "Nadodi thenral" came out in 1992 , atleast 2 years before "1942 love story" , which came out in 1994. BTW, they dont sound as if they were inspired from each other

karthik_sa2
21st January 2008, 07:02 PM
karthik_sa2, for your kind info, "Nadodi thenral" came out in 1992 , atleast 2 years before "1942 love story" , which came out in 1994. BTW, they dont sound as if they were inspired from each other

oh ok...[/b]

ThalaNass
24th January 2008, 01:48 PM
HJ caught copying, yet again!! :lol:

http://www.mediafire.com/?9jh2dgtj2vo

selvakumar
24th January 2008, 02:12 PM

In which tamil film, he had used this original. (Yet to d/l and listen to the file you have posted)

SoftSword
24th January 2008, 02:25 PM
it doesn sound to be a straight lift or inspiration...
but still the mix is good by the person who has done it...

littlemaster1982
24th January 2008, 03:46 PM

In which tamil film, he had used this original. (Yet to d/l and listen to the file you have posted)

Selva, this audio file is the mix of 'Vaaji Vaaji' (movie name sollanuma enna ;)) and 'Siru paarvaiyaale' (Bheema) in the context of inspired parts. But that doesn't sound much of a copy or even inspiration.

music man
26th January 2008, 07:44 PM
I was watching the hindi movie ISHQ yesterday....Ajay devgan and Aamir Khan starred in tat movie....One scene immediately sprung a surprise...
Ajay devgan was hanging on a pole on top of a multi storey buiding and Aamir was walking on the pole praying to god................Exactly ditto of Jayam Ravi and Vivek's scene in M.Kumaran Son of Mahalaxmi....They are copying the scenes also...
Then another scene from SAAGAR where one of the heroes confesses his love to his friend in a stream....This is exactly the same as the scene in Thiruda Thiruda Anand reveals his love for Heera to Prashanth(he also loves her)in a stream......
Hmmm....MR could have avoided the scene...
Enna koduma sir ithu

thumburu
27th January 2008, 04:24 PM
A song in the recent film "KaNNaa" goes like "chembaruthi poovukku kalyanam" and it is dangerously similar to "Alaipayudhe" song "yaaro yaarodi". We know Ranjit Barod has worked with ARR . Now, songs like this would add weight to the speculation that Rajit Barod actually composed few songs of ARR

littlemaster1982
27th January 2008, 05:18 PM
Going by the same logic, If an ARR song sounds like IR song, then it adds weight to the speculation that ARR is behind some of IR hits. Am I right?

selvakumar
27th January 2008, 06:40 PM
Watched Kaalai. The climax BGM looked like an exact replica of YUVAN's Paruthiveeran BGM.

app_engine
27th January 2008, 07:20 PM
lm1982, yes you are correct.
Provided the song of ARR resembles some IR song "from the time period that he worked with IR":-) Whatever said and done, film song is a product of a team with contributions from many (sometimes even sources abroad :lol: ) - though the MD's name is highlighted in the final product.

e.g.
At least one IR song is an exact replica of a GKV Kannada song. The only explanation could be that the original was also by IR as an asst of GKV. That's because when the Thamizh replica was released (mysore malligE with munnooru millyE), GKV was still around, even working with Raja. Or the other explanation is, GKV telling Raja : "Hey boy, why don't you use in Thamizh my evergreen Kannada number?"...either way, the theory is one MD using the song of his asst.

littlemaster1982
27th January 2008, 07:39 PM
App_engine,

There's one more thing you have to consider. The then-assistant's credentials as a composer.

IR was an established composer when that xerox copy got released, so you can safely assume the original was did by him. If that holds good for Ranjit Barot too, then I have no problems. I guess, I don't have to explain anymore.

If anyone wishes to believe that Ranjit is behind ARR's compositions, it is their wish. Hope some better sense prevails.

vasanth2006
27th January 2008, 09:54 PM
Watched Kaalai. The climax BGM looked like an exact replica of YUVAN's Paruthiveeran BGM.

I think it is mixing of sandakozhi and thimiru BGM....yuvan might be repeated that in PV also....

app_engine
28th January 2008, 07:09 AM
lm1982,

Well, my post was just a response to yours, and mine is a "generic" response only:-) If ARR has done some song for IR (while in his team), he can very well use it (like the IR-GKV thing) without any guilt, IMO.

I don't know about Ranjit Barot's credentials (don't even know which movies he scored etc.) but one must admit that ALL MD's (MSV, IR, ARR included) have had inspirations outside their brains and some of these sources could very well be their assistants!

I remember reading in this thread that ARR was Koti(Telugu MD)'s asst and has used a Telugu tune with Koti's label in one of his Thamizh songs. (I'm not sure whether ARR was an assistant to MSV when MSV composed 'kallellAm mANikkakkallAgumA', though)

sat_srini
28th January 2008, 09:49 AM
ARR is perhaps the first MD to credit his assistants as well as musicians who have made even a small contribution in the album. So, I see no reason for him to take credit for his assistant's work.

thumburu
28th January 2008, 05:08 PM
[tscii:de1c544c20]arrfans need not get worked up. This controversy has been going on for ages in TFM page.
Sample these conversation between DF members way back the tfm page golden era:

------------------------------------------
From: bm (@ 172.141.250.29) on: Tue Apr 24 17:23:25 EDT 2001

cosmician..it is quite obvious you got bored with the existing topics and have a started a string of threads..:))) ..good for the forum.

well...the following link provides you with some answers in his own words...

http://www.3to6.com/final_music/iranjitbarot.htm

From: cosmician (@ 194.170.1.68) on: Wed Apr 25 03:56:44 EDT 2001

Thanks for the link..bm :-)..so that is Ranjit Barot !
Seems like a very down-to-earth guy...specially liked his words.

" I think there’s a price you pay for being successful. I’m just not willing to pay that price."

From: Analog (@ 12.105.88.34) on: Wed Apr 25 10:11:38 EDT 2001

You do a lot of work with Anu Malik?

I sort of arrange and produce all his music. He writes the melody and I do all the music. Everything down to how fast it’s going to be, what the groove is going to be.
And Anu Malik still gets billing as music director?

Anu Malik is already an established name. It’s not going to become Anu-Malik/Ranjit Barot. I also did three- four songs on ‘Tera Jadoo Chal Gaya’ and two songs on ‘Kandukondain Kandukondain’.

What does this exactly mean? Did he write scores for the melodies presented to him by the MDs?

From: bm (@ 172.141.250.29) on: Tue Apr 24 17:23:25 EDT 2001

cosmician..it is quite obvious you got bored with the existing topics and have a started a string of threads..:))) ..good for the forum.

well...the following link provides you with some answers in his own words...

From: cosmician (@ 194.170.1.68) on: Wed Apr 25 03:56:44 EDT 2001

Thanks for the link..bm :-)..so that is Ranjit Barot !
Seems like a very down-to-earth guy...specially liked his words.

" I think there’s a price you pay for being successful. I’m just not willing to pay that price."

From: Analog (@ 12.105.88.34) on: Wed Apr 25 10:11:38 EDT 2001

I sort of arrange and produce all his music. He writes the melody and I do all the music. Everything down to how fast it’s going to be, what the groove is going to be.

Anu Malik is already an established name. It’s not going to become Anu-Malik/Ranjit Barot. I also did three- four songs on ‘Tera Jadoo Chal Gaya’ and two songs on ‘Kandukondain Kandukondain’.

What does this exactly mean? Did he write scores for the melodies presented to him by the MDs?

From: An (@ 195.217.141.65) on: Fri Dec 13 06:40:04 EST 2002

Ranjit Barot is a drummer, who was brought up in London, UK, highly trained in Rhythm and Melody. He worked extensively with AR Rahman in his early work, up-to and after VIP. As one may have notices, ARR's stndards have dropped a lot since he and Harris Jeyaraj left him. They did a lot of the arrangements, chord progressions and Ranjit, in particular did a lot of the wonderful and rich Rhythm programming, we used to see from ARR.

As one can see, Anu Malik - who has no talent of his own is showing great improvement these days, solely due to the fact that Ranjit's genius is working behind the scenes.

From: (@ 195.217.141.65) on: Fri Dec 13 06:55:46 EST 2002

"India’s most renowned drummer." - That is in the NORTH - they forgot to mention Sivamani.

The son of veteran Kathak dancer, Sitara Devi, Ranjit had his own set of drums by the age of fourteen and at sixteen, started playing professionally with jazz king, Louis Banks. That was followed by playing abroad and then, coming back home and composing jingles for commercials. And of course, the score of ‘Oh Darling Yeh Hai India’."

He did 1 piece on Fiza too.

U can read his interview on:

------------------------------------------------------------- It is a wellknown fact that ARR gives a lot of scope unlike IR for his co workers to showcase their individuality
[/tscii:de1c544c20]

selvakumar
28th January 2008, 05:21 PM
As one can see, Anu Malik - who has no talent of his own is showing great improvement these days, solely due to the fact that Ranjit's genius is working behind the scenes
:lol: But it doesn't work for him when he works in the limelight. Looks like, he looses everything when he composes himself. :lol:

It is a wellknown fact that ARR gives a lot of scope unlike IR for his co workers to showcase their individuality
I appreciate ARR for this. I interpret this just like how one will review a document or a product.

I read in Manisekaran thread that gangai amaran wanted credit for modifying a single line in a kannadaasan song :lol: Well.. If someone builds a prouduct and forget to stick the lable on it, then I think we should credit the guy who sticks the label forgetting the author.

(well.. those who pinpoint the spelling mistakes in the last line will get credit for my original post :wink: )

kingvj
28th January 2008, 05:43 PM
Copying thread-la Ranjit Barrot copy adichara illayannu pesinadhu poga, ARR maadhiri IR coworkersku madhippu kuduthaara illaya appadeengaradhellaam INDHA threadku thevaya? :-)

sibicalls
28th January 2008, 06:14 PM
Clincher after some time..but nothing surprising...

New age deva (Namma HJ boss thaan) caught red handed again..

I am not sure if this was already discussed..but i cant control my laughter at this fellows pitiable creativity.

He has copied karu karu of Pachai kili muthu charam from a westlife song.. just like 'june pona' song

http://www.dandanakka.com/2008/01/26/karu_karu_pachaikillimuthucharam_hit_you_with_the_ real_thingrbs/

And one from Bheema "oru mugamo' song..This sounds very close to anothe rEnglish song

http://www.dandanakka.com/2008/01/26/harris-jeyarajs-oru-mugamo-song-beemabheema-copied-from-roxette-the-look/

I cant under stand , with just 1 or 2 movies every year, does he spend all the time trying to figure out which song to copy :banghead:

dinesh2002
29th January 2008, 06:26 AM
As one may have notices, ARR's stndards have dropped a lot since he and Harris Jeyaraj left him. They did a lot of the arrangements, chord progressions and Ranjit, in particular did a lot of the wonderful and rich Rhythm programming, we used to see from ARR.

:rotfl: this is hilarious..... if thats how ARR works, trust me, he wont last after the 'so called genius' left him...say from 2001 - 2008.... :).... infact, i see many many achievements from ARR in this period.... :).... WOHE, LOTR, Bombay Dreams, Boys, Sivaji, Kangalal Kaithi Sei, Sillunu Oru Kadhal, Kannathil Muttamittal, Aaiyitha Ezhutu, .... and list goes on.... and people wont respect ARR if he just 'uses' their talents to compose songs.... and he is a very respected person ...even LEGENDS praise him.... if he behaves such like the comment above.... then he cant earn those praises isnt ?? come on thumburu, use ur common sense abit please...... :roll:

this saying is totally absurd ..... some Golden Era of TFM.... Kali Yuga'ne kamikeringe......

Nerd
29th January 2008, 08:39 AM
He has copied karu karu of Pachai kili muthu charam from a westlife song.. just like 'june pona' song

http://www.dandanakka.com/2008/01/26/karu_karu_pachaikillimuthucharam_hit_you_with_the_ real_thingrbs/

:shock: :shock:

Gaza
29th January 2008, 09:31 AM
wat stupidity?...Haris jeyaraj is a reason fr ARR success :rotfl:

thumburu
29th January 2008, 01:01 PM
Harris Jayaraj makes music direction so stupidly simple by the way he copies english pop songs with such impunity . A song from "Bheema" , "Oru mugamo" , the opening tune is ripped off from
"Tara na na naa
Tara na na naa naa
Tara na na naa
She's got the look" swedish band Roxette.

Dumb Dinesh , my intention is not to start a fan war whether ARR is good with/without Ranjit, Harris etal. I just wanted to draw attention to the on going discussion in TFM DF , about the synergy, MDs like AnuMalik, ARR had with Ranjit Barod and on that context, his current work could be influenced by what he did for those MDs.

dinesh2002
29th January 2008, 05:11 PM
Harris Jayaraj makes music direction so stupidly simple by the way he copies english pop songs with such impunity . A song from "Bheema" , "Oru mugamo" , the opening tune is ripped off from
"Tara na na naa
Tara na na naa naa
Tara na na naa
She's got the look" swedish band Roxette.

Dumb Dinesh , my intention is not to start a fan war whether ARR is good with/without Ranjit, Harris etal. I just wanted to draw attention to the on going discussion in TFM DF , about the synergy, MDs like AnuMalik, ARR had with Ranjit Barod and on that context, his current work could be influenced by what he did for those MDs.

again i stress with my point, if ARR is a person who uses Ranjit Barot's 'composition' as u mentioned earlier, :

A song in the recent film "KaNNaa" goes like "chembaruthi poovukku kalyanam" and it is dangerously similar to "Alaipayudhe" song "yaaro yaarodi". We know Ranjit Barod has worked with ARR . Now, songs like this would add weight to the speculation that Rajit Barod actually composed few songs of ARR

he wont be so respected as he is now today... thats y i asked u to use u common sense 'genius' :) .... and im sure Ranjit Barot isnt going to let ARR just uses his 'composition' without getting credited isnt it?? besides, ARR has credited what they have contributed in the song... so to say people composed for ARR, thats really absurd....

being influenced is a diff thing.... being with them & working in their style later is acceptable...

but saying they COMPOSED for the MD's they work before just becoz their composition today sounded like that Md's work long time ago is pretty Stups... isnt ? :) influenced, i accept..... COMPOSED for them? !! sheeesh.... where on earth do u come up with these theories ....... :lol:

app_engine
29th January 2008, 08:29 PM
That MSV & IR were assistants to MDs for a lot of movies and their contribution wasn't credited in the disc is relatively well-known history. OTOH, what people like VSN / GA / ARR / Deva / Vidyasagar etc. helped IR with (or Henry Daniel / Govardhan / Joseph Krishna etc. as assistants to MSV) isn't popularised much (other than some speculations here and there in TFM-DF). Karthik Raja was fortunate to be IR's son and so he got credits for uyyalAlA tune. So was TKR to share his name for a number of super hit movies with MSV.

That they received some inputs from assistants (may be even tunes for a few, out of the thousands they recorded) isn't going to diminish their genius or credibility IMO. In fact, it's much better than taking an ABBA / BoneyM tune :-) It's like "if you're working for a company, all design / development you do belong to the company":-))

rajasaranam
31st January 2008, 03:24 PM
Karthik Raja was fortunate to be IR's son and so he got credits for uyyalAlA tune.

That they received some inputs from assistants (may be even tunes for a few, out of the thousands they recorded) isn't going to diminish their genius or credibility IMO. In fact, it's much better than taking an ABBA / BoneyM tune :-) It's like "if you're working for a company, all design / development you do belong to the company":-))

Karthick Raaja Was credited for Orchestrating the Pandiyan Song :) But yes he has claimed that 3 songs from 'aathma' were composed by him earlier, and that the song 'Netru vantha Kaatru' from 'kanmani' was also composed by him which he reused in Hindi Movie 'Grahan' .
Apart from this I also hear from close circles in the industry that for some movies Raaja had infact taken help of MSV in tune composition. One such movie is 'Thirumathi Pazhanisaamy'. MSV had done BGM Work for a few movies of Raaja in the early 80's is also a known fact.
And yeah no news like this will diminish our respect for Raaja or MSV :)
i dont know why the fans of ARR crib when Ranjit Barot has claimed in an interview that he has composed 2 songs of KKKK.

SoftSword
31st January 2008, 03:32 PM
rs...
when did he give such an interview...
can you please add the link here...

littlemaster1982
31st January 2008, 04:23 PM
RS,

AFAIK, Ranjit Barot was credited in KKKK album as "Additional Arrangements: Ranjit Barot". That's what Ranjit Barot refers to. He doesn't mention anywhere that he composed two songs.

What we despise is some eternal ARR haters easily pointing to ARR when it is Ranjit who actually copied the song.

rajasaranam
31st January 2008, 05:28 PM
[tscii:966bc14413]
rs...
when did he give such an interview...
can you please add the link here...

i read the interview long time back around 2001 :? and the link is dead now :(

RS,

AFAIK, Ranjit Barot was credited in KKKK album as "Additional Arrangements: Ranjit Barot". That's what Ranjit Barot refers to. He doesn't mention anywhere that he composed two songs.

here is the Specific QA regarding this which thumburu had dug up from the tfm page archives.

Yes he was credited for Additional Programming in KKKK album. but Does Additional Programming means that ARR gives him the main melody and RB goes on completing the song with all arrangements, orchestrations, instrumentation etc??? then it does qualify to be called as a composers' job! IMHO.

What we despise is some eternal ARR haters easily pointing to ARR when it is Ranjit who actually copied the song.

Iam not aware of the songs RB copied from ARR.[/tscii:966bc14413]

app_engine
31st January 2008, 07:00 PM
MSV had done BGM Work for a few movies of Raaja in the early 80's is also a known fact.

Definitely not "early 80's" when MSV was still busy with projects (though IR was already numero uno). Possibly in the "late 80's", that too after their colloboration for mellaththiRandhadhu kadhavu in 86/87. I saw on TV MSV taking care of the recording for a movie "chinnavar" (in one of the doordarshan deepavaLi / pongal special episodes about IR) and the song being recorded was 'andhiyilE vAnam'. I didn't watch it when telecast but the video recording in a friend's house later on, with a big family crowd. Unfortunately none in the crowd could even recognize that it was MSV when I shouted in exclamation:-(
Till that point MSV's media exposure, even while at peak with MGR-Sivaji movies, was almost nil. He infact has much more interviews, pictures etc appearing in the media now:-)

Music4Ever
31st January 2008, 08:43 PM
Compare the quality of songs from ARR and Anu Malik that Ranjit Barot has claimed he was involved with; and decide whether Anu Malik's numbers measure up to those ARR numbers. Also, compare the quality of Ranjit Barot's own compositions and decide whether they measure up to those numbers of ARR he (Ranjit Barot) claims to be associated with. Compare the numbers of HJ with those numbers of ARR people claim he was associated with. An objective assessment should make it clear who is the leader.

As an aside, notice the second interlude of Mustafa Mustafa, the FANTASTIC number from ARR. I am drawing attention to the guitar bit. Listen to HJ's oh azhagiya theeye. Perhaps HJ did that bit in Mustafa Mustafa according to claims here. Also, perhaps HJ contributed to Mayilirage Mayilirage (long after he had ceased to be ARR's assistant) since some of his recent songs do give a hint of that. Finally, there is a song in Bheema which has a hint of Munbe Va. No question, HJ must have been the brain behind the classy Munbe va.

There is no end to shitty claims.

kingvj
11th February 2008, 02:15 AM
Watched the damp squib "Indhiralogathil Naa.Azhagappan", which i feel, is a strong case of 'how to show loss of income and avoid IT'. If two/three movies run good from the same production house/actor etc, the next one should be a flop so that the IT dept doesn't cast an eye one you. Right from Kamal, Rajini, Vijay, etc it has come to Vadivelu..!!!

Apart from that conspiracy theory, the point is, the "Naanoru devathai" song (the one in which all the three dochubags dance in Indhrasaba) is a shameless lift off "Aayiram penmai malarattumey". :curse: The song also seems to have some hindi connection as it sounds Northie (apart from Sadhana Sargam). :banghead:

kingvj
16th February 2008, 12:20 AM
Digression:

Can u believe this?

The guy who acted in "Body Of Evidence", the villain in Spiderman, etc, William Dafoe is acting in a Tamil movie..!!!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_Dafoe (look at the end of Filmography... there's a TAMIL FILM listed "Achchamundu Achchamundu"

This site also tells the same : http://www.cinesouth.com/masala/hotnews/new/13022008-6.shtml

Hollywood biggies acting in Indian movies, that too Tamil... wow..!!!

End Digression.

thumburu
25th February 2008, 03:33 PM
For some nondescript song , who ever is the MD of a new fim called "Thoondil" has cleverly tweaked and reused the swaras from the "Fanaa" where ARR screams his lungs out.

SoftSword
25th February 2008, 03:40 PM
For some nondescript song , who ever is the MD of a new fim called "Thoondil" has cleverly tweaked and reused the swaras from the "Fanaa" where ARR screams his lungs out.

u mean the fanaa from Ayudha Ezhutthu..?

kingvj
25th February 2008, 09:50 PM
My latest favourite "Khwaja Mere Khwaja" - Jodhaa Akbar :musicsmile: (dubbed into Tamil as well) seems to have some inspiration or the other from the old "Muthunagaye unnai naanariven" song. And NO, I am NOT claiming this to be a copy. This is just my personal opinion. :huh:

vigneshram
6th March 2008, 10:09 PM
Right from the day of music release, I am addicted to "Jashn-E-Bahaara" from Jodhaa Akbar. But somehow, it kept reminded me of some other recent song ...
Bingo, I found it today.

Check out the resemblances in the opening lines...

http://vigneshram.com
or http://vigneshram.blogspot.com/2008/03/give-take-policy.html

baba88
7th March 2008, 03:36 AM

which song do you mean ?

sarna_blr
7th March 2008, 10:57 AM
are we discussing here ...only copying music...or copying acting like VIJAY.....

vasanth2006
7th March 2008, 10:59 AM
Right from the day of music release, I am addicted to "Jashn-E-Bahaara" from Jodhaa Akbar. But somehow, it kept reminded me of some other recent song ...
Bingo, I found it today.

Good catch...

dinesh2002
7th March 2008, 12:00 PM
Bingo, I found it today.

Good catch...

Wow, u must have lotsa free time huh...?!

vigneshram
7th March 2008, 12:46 PM
Bingo, I found it today.

Good catch...

Oh Yes. I do have lots of free time...
Any problem with that?

SoftSword
7th March 2008, 12:56 PM
hey... thats neither a copy nor an inspiration as far as i know...
thats just a plain similarity in the tunes... that its coincidental...

or should i think in the other way....
that rahman listens to all GVP music before going for writing his tunes, so that he can use a couple of them in his creations...

dinesh2002
7th March 2008, 01:59 PM
Bingo, I found it today.

Good catch...

Any problem with that?

yea, ur wasting peoples time to check out on those small tiny bits.... it def wasted my precious 5 mins... biggest mistake loggin into ur blog....

Softsword, haha, saw it, 4get it. not worth considering nor discussing about.

vigneshram
7th March 2008, 02:21 PM
Bingo, I found it today.

Good catch...

Any problem with that?

yea, ur wasting peoples time to check out on those small tiny bits.... it def wasted my precious 5 mins... biggest mistake loggin into ur blog....

:lol: Idhu ve HJ panniyirundhaa, avara kandapadi kindal panniyirupeenga...

Unmai eppavume kasakkum thaan.
Enna panradhu...

dinesh2002
7th March 2008, 02:34 PM
Bingo, I found it today.

Good catch...

Any problem with that?

Enna panradhu...

Ithe ellam oru unmai, ennake kasakarathukke... haha.... well, if u get the pleasure by doing such things, go ahead. hey, wut bout the ARR songs that has Sitar instrument & Illayaraja songs that has Sitar instruments, u should check out on that too... lol....

anywayz, good luck... keep up the blogging.....

vigneshram
7th March 2008, 02:44 PM
Thanks for ur wishes :)

dinesh2002
7th March 2008, 03:05 PM
Thanks for ur wishes :)

cheh cheh... en wishes onnum perise illai.. as a blogger, ur a senior :)......

SoftSword
7th March 2008, 03:40 PM
hey vignesh....
just think about it for yourself...

its only a 8 sec similarity...
and that too... from GVP...
did you forget the hierarchy boss...
where is GVP... and where is ARR...
do you think that ARR really would have attempted to copy GVP's pieces...

did you forget the akkam pakkam song of him... or have ever heard the pudhu vellai mazhai song from roja...

and you are comparing this minor similarity with harris's copies/inspiration....
i dono how to explain you... i guess you understand it...

but yet... as you said, no one is denying that these two pieces are not similar... but we claim that its coincidental thats all...
please dont mistake...

vigneshram
7th March 2008, 04:38 PM
hey vignesh....
just think about it for yourself...

its only a 8 sec similarity...
and that too... from GVP...
did you forget the hierarchy boss...
where is GVP... and where is ARR...
do you think that ARR really would have attempted to copy GVP's pieces...

did you forget the akkam pakkam song of him... or have ever heard the pudhu vellai mazhai song from roja...

and you are comparing this minor similarity with harris's copies/inspiration....
i dono how to explain you... i guess you understand it...

but yet... as you said, no one is denying that these two pieces are not similar... but we claim that its coincidental thats all...
please dont mistake...

Thanks for the patient and matured reply Softsword.

Of course these two pieces are similar. It was a great blow for me to learn about the similarity and that too knowing very well the hierarchy. I have very very high place for ARR in my heart and admire his compositions as much as our friends here.
The song "Jashn-E-Bahaara" is my ringtone, caller tune and I keep listening to it in loop . There is a kind of magic in that melody and with soul stirring interludes and multilayered mixing, its an euphoric stuff. When I found the other song which was dangerously similar, I was actually disappointed and just wanted to share.

That's it.

SoftSword
7th March 2008, 04:49 PM
there is nothing to get disappointed until we can realize that ARR would not have tried to copy that 8 sec piece for such a great project like JA...

it just stops there...

COOL

Music4Ever
8th March 2008, 10:11 AM
Vigneshram, good catch. I am also disappointed because I thought Jashn e bahara was a cute tune and I am an ARR fan. It is definitely similar to the Veyil song. A blatant lift by Rahman since Veyil came more than one year ago.

MADDY
9th March 2008, 09:39 AM

Enna panradhu...

HJ copy adikkaradhukkum ARR inspiration-akkum mudichhu podalaam, dhaaralama, bcos India is a democracy :yes: ..........

and pls stop ur pretending of "ARR respect" ....if u respect ARR, then u wudnt say he copied from GVP...........veyilodu vilayadi beats were directly copied from kandukondein*2 BGM.............forget it dude - u keep coming.....

SS - neenga yaen elllathukkum serious-a badhil kudukkureenga :cry:

MADDY
9th March 2008, 09:47 AM
i know for a fact ARR composes bits and pieces and stores them in CDs in his recording studios..........i think jashn-e-baharaa tune was composed much earlier than veyil and GVP had got access to it..........it happened with aslam mustafa's album and Boys' song sa re ga me before as well........it ended up embarassing for ARR that time tooo

vigneshram
9th March 2008, 10:25 AM

Enna panradhu...

HJ copy adikkaradhukkum ARR inspiration-akkum mudichhu podalaam, dhaaralama, bcos India is a democracy :yes: ..........

and pls stop ur pretending of "ARR respect" ....if u respect ARR, then u wudnt say he copied from GVP...........veyilodu vilayadi beats were directly copied from kandukondein*2 BGM.............forget it dude - u keep coming.....

Was expecting you Maddy :D

BTW, I need not pretend about the respect for ARR. Of course I am not a Rahmaniac, but I have the due respect and admiration for him. That is why, I felt disappointed. (I know u will never agree with this :lol:

Your point that, GVP could have got access to archived pieces is really a valid one, as I don't have high hopes on GVP and his compositions. It is a possible scenario :o

SoftSword
10th March 2008, 12:17 PM

Enna panradhu...

I thought vignesh could understand if we give some valid explanations in front of him...
so i replied... and vignesh proves that...

but you see... mr musicforever...
for his post... i only thought that his post must be strictly ignored with a smile... :)

not every black color is black in color...
hope you can understand :P

kingvj
10th March 2008, 01:09 PM
I guess it is also possible that both ARR and GVP were INSPIRED from one common source. What say?

Scale
10th March 2008, 09:42 PM
you mean his forefathers :roll:

vignesh, this claim was there much b4 you patterned it here (http://www.mail-archive.com/arrahmanfans@yahoogroups.com/msg36995.html)

M4E blatant lifta?? EKSI!

ARR composes 2 spectacular versions from GVP's bit song prelude.. :rotfl:

Music4Ever
11th March 2008, 02:32 AM
Softsword and Scale,

Perhaps you don't know that I love ARR's music and always look forward to his new releases. For me ARR's music is next to MSV's, although I would have no big problem if IR is accorded the title of the greatest in TFM.

However, you see, consistency demands that I treat everyone equally when it comes to copying. Several times I have pointed out that HJ has copied bits from here and there and now I will look a total hypocrite if I don't acknowledge copying by my favorite MD. One cannot deny that the bit in Veyil and in JA are exactly same and that Veyil came a whole year back. Added to that is ARR's statement some time back that he is not averse to providing guidance to GVP, if only GVP approached him. Perhaps the implication is that GVP composes his own music, with no input from ARR at all. Why then must we assume that GVP took some of ARR's stuff? It is wrong to brand him like that, unless there is clear evidence. Hope you understand my point. I am really disappointed because I thought Jashn-e-bahar is a lovely WHOLLY original stuff from ARR. And now this revelation.

SoftSword
11th March 2008, 12:07 PM
Softsword and Scale,

Perhaps you don't know that I love ARR's music and always look forward to his new releases. For me ARR's music is next to MSV's, although I would have no big problem if IR is accorded the title of the greatest in TFM.

However, you see, consistency demands that I treat everyone equally when it comes to copying. Several times I have pointed out that HJ has copied bits from here and there and now I will look a total hypocrite if I don't acknowledge copying by my favorite MD. One cannot deny that the bit in Veyil and in JA are exactly same and that Veyil came a whole year back. Added to that is ARR's statement some time back that he is not averse to providing guidance to GVP, if only GVP approached him. Perhaps the implication is that GVP composes his own music, with no input from ARR at all. Why then must we assume that GVP took some of ARR's stuff? It is wrong to brand him like that, unless there is clear evidence. Hope you understand my point. I am really disappointed because I thought Jashn-e-bahar is a lovely WHOLLY original stuff from ARR. And now this revelation.

dear mr music4life...

I respect you as you say that you are a fan of arr compositions....
and we agree that you were disappointed to hear both the tracks were similar in that bit...
but boss.. when you used that word "blatant lift", i thought your mask was torn into pieces...
thats where i thought if you could think more to understand things...

when a son has the face of a father... but the son's pic was publicised first to the public... and then after a month they publicise the pic of the father... and now people wonder that the father has copied the face of his son.... jus because they have seen the son first... :)

app_engine
11th March 2008, 07:45 PM
Back to the "team effort" theory. It's a documented fact that right from times of old, SVS / MSV / GKV / IR and all have benefited from contributions of team members, including the "tune" department. Was GVP in ARR's team at some point of time (before he became an independent composer)? Then this few seconds could be part of a "shared" property and hence won't fall into copy category.

Scale
11th March 2008, 10:25 PM
app_engine,

>>>Was GVP in ARR's team at some point of time (before he became an independent composer)?<<<

:shock:

Dont you know who is GVP? ARR's nephew, Sister Raihanna's son. She is still the lead chorus singer in ARR's camp recently sung "Balelakka". And GVP was with ARR right from his childhood days "Chikku bukku Rayile", kuchi kuchi rakkamma, Acham Acham illai, palakattu machaanukku. How is this "team-effort" theory applicable here?

Veyil(2006) was GVP's debut movie. Now look Jodha Akbar was under production since 2004. By going thru M4E logic and reasoning then we should assume this tune might have reached ARR or GVP only thru Raihanna. :wink:

While I posted the earlier message I played both the tracks back to back. The similarity itself negligible and specious to converse for the above facts.

Happy ending :)

Billgates
12th March 2008, 10:04 AM
[tscii:3f05abb1b7]
Back to the "team effort" theory. It's a documented fact that right from times of old, SVS / MSV / GKV / IR and all have benefited from contributions of team members, including the "tune" department. Was GVP in ARR's team at some point of time (before he became an independent composer)? Then this few seconds could be part of a "shared" property and hence won't fall into copy category.

Despite so many composers have worked under MSV, I haven’t seen anyone claiming credit for any tune which came under MSV’s name . So, including his name is news to me ! :shock: [/tscii:3f05abb1b7]

MADDY
13th March 2008, 08:40 AM
Despite so many composers have worked under MSV, I haven’t seen anyone claiming credit for any tune which came under MSV’s name . So, including his name is news to me ! :shock: [/tscii:3c17c2aecf]

just wondering if u know TK.Ramamurthy and controversies surrounding MSV-TKR split?

Billgates
13th March 2008, 09:23 AM
Despite so many composers have worked under MSV, I haven’t seen anyone claiming credit for any tune which came under MSV’s name . So, including his name is news to me ! :shock: [/tscii:76de2764a9]

just wondering if u know TK.Ramamurthy and controversies surrounding MSV-TKR split?

Ramamurthy was a partner, not an assistant ! Hope you know this ? besides, the role of RM was on orchestration especially Violin section , it seems. Ramamurthy never spoke anything about any particular song which was his tune !.Even GKV worked with MSV-TKR for long but never claimed credit for any song ! But nice to hear that MSV is still being remembered now ! Great Musician .

pure bliss
27th March 2008, 10:38 PM
Check out the songs as given below

Billa 07 - Sei

http://www.musicindiaonline.com/music/tamil/s/movie_name.9477/

Boyzone - words

http://videoofworld.blogspot.com/2008/02/boyzone-words.html

Listen from .24 sec in the song words.

mmmmmmmm...........

baba88
28th March 2008, 05:59 PM
A.R.Rahman - Leo Coffe Jingle
http://www.zshare.net/audio/96764278fb7845/

Harris Jeyaraj - Mudher Kanave (Majunu)
http://www.zshare.net/audio/9676441a33f6fa/

Now look at my Leo Kanave remix.
http://www.zshare.net/audio/9676920c3c599d/

sureshmehcnit
28th March 2008, 06:12 PM
More than that veyil song, 'Jash-e-bahaara' reminds me 'Alaigalin Osaigal Thaandi' song from Rameshwaram (composer - Niru).

Suresh
http://backgroundscore.blogspot.com

inetk
29th March 2008, 07:46 PM
Shockingly blatant lift by GV Prakash Kumar in Vellithirai - for a young, talented and upcoming composer, idhu thevaye illai. Wonder what made him do it!
Audio clips at http://www.itwofs.com/ as usual.