http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mahatma_Gandhi

http://www.mkgandhi.org/biography/chldhood.htm

http://www.mkgandhi.org

Kamalkumar
12th August 2007, 04:07 PM
Happy Independence Day to all hubbers.

crazy
12th August 2007, 04:12 PM
Happy Independence Day to All Indians :)

Vaazhga Bharatham :notworthy:

Arthi
13th August 2007, 10:08 AM
WISH YOU A HAPPY INDEPENDENCE DAY :)

Lambretta
13th August 2007, 10:10 AM
Jai Bhaaratam!

mgb
13th August 2007, 12:19 PM
Udham Singh who avenged for the "Jallianwala bagh massacre"

http://www.punjabilok.com/misc/freedom/udham_last_word1.htm

swathy
13th August 2007, 01:39 PM
HAPPY INDEPENDENCE DAY

Braandan
13th August 2007, 01:53 PM
What/Who are we "Independant" from at present?

Lambretta
14th August 2007, 12:42 AM
Good qsn.! :|

pavalamani pragasam
14th August 2007, 07:56 AM
Braandan, does your tagline hold the answer? :D

Shakthiprabha.
14th August 2007, 08:16 AM

:)

Braandan
14th August 2007, 01:24 PM
Every year this has become a boring celebration (if you ask the people who were crossing over on 14th and 15th of Aug 1947 and listen to their stories you will never celebrate this day) I know of one old Sardarini (died in 1993 at Delhi) whose sister told me that she had dropped both her children into a well, to save her life and chastity on the way to India. I had always seen this lady sitting like a vegetable at the corner of a room!!!
We are shamelessly celebrating this day...

pavalamani pragasam
14th August 2007, 01:31 PM
But tragedies apart, isn't it a glorious thing to be ridden of shackles of slavery to a foreigner?

Braandan
14th August 2007, 01:40 PM
But tragedies apart, isn't it a glorious thing to be ridden of shackles of slavery to a foreigner?

You mean to say that you are not (indirectly) slaves to foreigners now? Are you totally independant of the so-called foreigners..

instead of them now you are slaves to some other people, that's all..

pavalamani pragasam
14th August 2007, 01:52 PM
But political independence is important. Other dependencies are like waves that sweep globally as times change. But a nation's identity is something different. Our role as a nation matters in the global arena.

Braandan
14th August 2007, 02:42 PM
1. No one respects an Indian. We need a visa beforehand before landing in any airport.And still a visa stamped in our passports does not guarantee an entry. Whereas some nationals just walk in with their passport (visa on entry) in many countries.

2. Do we have a strong political stand internationally?. Can we oppose the rogue nations/super powers to stop their atrocities? Does anyone listen to India? Are we really politically independant?

3. Does our products/services have international acclaim? Our personnel are employed simply for their comparitive cheapness.

4. 2nd largest populated country! Atleast one gold medal in Olympics, please I beg you? National game is cricket! give me a break...

5. Do we have proper borders in place? Who knows how many thousands are infiltrating everyday from Bhutan, Nepal, Pakistan, Bangladesh and SriLanka? Try going to an advanced country. Not a housefly can get in illegally thru their borders.

The list goes on.. don't make me laugh, madam PP..
It is high time we stopped this 15th August "Prahasanam" every year.

dev
14th August 2007, 02:49 PM
But political independence is important. Other dependencies are like waves that sweep globally as times change. But a nation's identity is something different. Our role as a nation matters in the global arena.

:exactly:

unhappyboy
14th August 2007, 08:05 PM
1. No one respects an Indian. We need a visa beforehand before landing in any airport.And still a visa stamped in our passports does not guarantee an entry. Whereas some nationals just walk in with their passport (visa on entry) in many countries.

All your points are correct, but you have to understand that we're a genetically inferior race, and therefore nothing more can be done about this.:) In terms of intelligence and creativity, we're marginally better than blacks and aborigines, but way below caucasians, japs and the rest.:shock: Naturally, it's quite unfair to expect too much from Indians. And when I say Indians, I am including the rest of the degraded SA people like pakis, banglas etc.

pavalamani pragasam
14th August 2007, 08:23 PM

2. Do we have a strong political stand internationally?. Can we oppose the rogue nations/super powers to stop their atrocities? Does anyone listen to India? Are we really politically independant?

3. Does our products/services have international acclaim? Our personnel are employed simply for their comparitive cheapness.

4. 2nd largest populated country! Atleast one gold medal in Olympics, please I beg you? National game is cricket! give me a break...

5. Do we have proper borders in place? Who knows how many thousands are infiltrating everyday from Bhutan, Nepal, Pakistan, Bangladesh and SriLanka? Try going to an advanced country. Not a housefly can get in illegally thru their borders.

All the things you have listed should be our goals to be achieved by a clean government chosen by a politically educated society. There is nothing scornful in aspiring to grow, progress, prove!

pavalamani pragasam
14th August 2007, 08:26 PM

All your points are correct, but you have to understand that we're a genetically inferior race, and therefore nothing more can be done about this.:) In terms of intelligence and creativity, we're marginally better than blacks and aborigines, but way below caucasians, japs and the rest.:shock: Naturally, it's quite unfair to expect too much from Indians. And when I say Indians, I am including the rest of the degraded SA people like pakis, banglas etc.

I beg to differ! shake off your sense of inferiority! Try to cultivate some self esteem & optimism. Then your perspective should turn clear & correct!!!

Rohit
15th August 2007, 02:49 AM
[tscii:74d8d4093e]India may have gained independence, but Indian politicians have translated it into the freedom of corruption.

India may have gained self-determination sixty years ago, yet Indian generations lack in ability to determine anything by themselves and for themselves.

India may have gained sovereignty, but it badly struggles to guard its borders

India may have gained autonomy, but the majority of Indian mass is living just on hopes.

India may have gained self-rule, but the Indian mass scarcely understands the meaning of it.

India may have gained freedom sixty years ago, but most Indians have yet to gain their intellectual independence.

India may have gained liberty, but it has yet to grasp the true meaning of civil liberty and social equality.

Had India gained its true independence sixty years ago, it wouldn’t be what it has become today, the land of bribery, corruption, deceit, dishonesty, fraud, sleaze, superstitions, treachery and most sadly, infertile of true leaders.

Hence, [I do not] wish you all a happy [In] dependence day.[/tscii:74d8d4093e]

sachein
15th August 2007, 03:14 AM
[/color]Hence, [I do not] wish you all a happy [In] dependence day.[/list][/tscii]

IF india was still under british rule for these sixty years..

u will not be able to wish for a Happy day.

freedom didn't come in a single day.. they fought for over 100 yrs.

to utilize the freedom to full extent .. it is not bad to take 100 more yrs.

India has certainly developed a lot in these 60 yrs..comparatively many are happy. we cannot make all the 1 billion happy in such a less time span of 60 yrs.. sure many more will be happy in another 40 yrs.
The IT and agriculture combined forces will make india a stronger country.

mgb
15th August 2007, 04:47 AM
We dont realise the value of a thing, until we lose it :)

bingleguy
15th August 2007, 05:36 AM

:lol: :clap: :yes:

Wibha
15th August 2007, 06:33 AM

so true :)

HAPPY INDEPENDENCE DAY :notworthy:

dev
15th August 2007, 07:37 AM

Wish you all a very happy Independence day

dev
15th August 2007, 08:01 AM

1. Indian PP holders are given visa on arrival in some countries like Singapore, malaysia , Indonesia...

2. I do think India has a strong political stand. I don't see them bow their heads to the so called super powers.

3.Indian pdts are in demand not only because it costs less but coz of its quality aswell. Our pdts are cheap coz we don't have many homegrown brands which are marketed internationally... for ex clothing... all those western branded clothes are so expensive coz they have marketed the brands so well to make ppl believe that it's a pride to have own those... & ppl are made to believe tht costly goods are the best...
http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20070812/wl_sthasia_afp/srilankaeconomygarments_070812080616

5. Please don't tell me tht there are absolutely NO illegal immigrants in countries like US.
http://www.accessmylibrary.com/premium/0286/0286-13797237.html
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A55202-2005Mar21.html
http://www.cnn.com/2003/US/01/31/illegal.immigration/
http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=4703307

Badri
15th August 2007, 09:02 AM
The fact that inspite of our so-called "ignorant masses", our "oh-so-huge" population, our sad "lack of social equality" we are able to go along, slowly making tracks in the World stage is cause of celebration.

After all, the free nation is only 60 years old. Don't rush to compare with the US or UK or Australia which are all much older. We have achieved much in these 60 years and if you cannot feel happy about it for at least one day in a year, I am afraid you are a rather sorry subject!

If you are not able to be happy, let at least others enjoy their happiness. Do not be dogs in the manger or crabs pulling down those who wish to better themselves.

Happy Independence Day.

rocketboy
15th August 2007, 09:38 AM
Wish you all a happy independence day .

Sorgamae Endraalum Athu Namooru Pola Varuma 8-)

P_R
15th August 2007, 11:30 AM
எந்தையும் தாய்ம் மகிழ்ந்து குலாவி இருந்ததும் இந்நாடே -ஆதன்
முநதையர் ஆயிரம் ஆண்டுகள் வாழ்ந்து முடிந்ததும் இந்நாடே - அவர்
சிந்தையில் ஆயிரம் எண்ணம் வளர்ந்து சிறந்ததும் இந்நாடே- இதை
வந்தனை கூறி மனதில் இருத்தி என் வாயுற வாழ்த்தேனோ -இதை
வந்தே மாதரம் வாந்தே மாதரம் என்று வணங்கேனோ ?

இனிய சுதந்திர தின நல்வாழ்த்துக்கள் !

crazy
15th August 2007, 11:41 AM

:yes:

Again... Suhandhira Dhina Nalvazhthukkal to all Indians :redjump: :bluejump:

crazy
15th August 2007, 12:26 PM
I think this is the right thread to post this.....
found very interesting articles, stories etc about Indian independence, partition ...growth, etc on BBC

Have a look http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/south_asia/default.stm :)

and also....there were some interesting videos and audios
Nehru's speech, Mountbatten's address ..

:)

Roshan
15th August 2007, 01:43 PM
இந்திய நண்பர்கள் அனைவருக்கும் இனிய சுதந்திர தின நல்வாழ்த்துக்கள் !!! :)

pavalamani pragasam
15th August 2007, 03:28 PM
விடுதலை விடுதலை விடுதலை

pavalamani pragasam
15th August 2007, 08:47 PM
"Inspirational Must Read Article" for Every Indian on this Special Day. (Please Take time to Read this)

The 8 visions that changed the face of India
(Author: Mr.Narayana Murthy, Head of Infosys)

India completes her 60th year as a free nation on August 15, 2007. According to the Hindu tradition, completion of 60 years is a landmark event in the life of any person and celebrates the wisdom, maturity, accomplishment and the readiness to enter vanaprasta asrama (a phase of life marked by renunciation of worldly responsibilities, and detachment from power, desire, and wealth). However, 60 years is a short span in the life of a nation, and barely marks the first baby steps of a toddler. Hence, any assessment of India has to be generous and optimistic.

Decent Progress:

~We have made decent progress in several areas during the last 60 years.

~We have produced world-class scientists, engineers, journalists, soldiers, bureaucrats, politicians and doctors.

~We have built complex bridges and dams.

~We have sent satellites and rockets into space.

~We have increased the number of doctors ten-fold. We have increased life expectancy from 32 years to 65 years.

~We have built about 20 lakh km of new roads;

~We have multiplied our steel production by over 50 times and cement production by almost 20 times.

~We have increased our exports from a few million dollars at the time of Independence to more than $125 billion now.

Areas to Improve:

There is an equally convincing set of data to show that we have a long way to go in certain other areas.

~A whopping 350 million are illiterate;

~260 million people are still below the poverty line;

~150 million people lack access to drinking water;

~750 million people lack decent sanitation and 50 per cent of the children are below acceptable nutrition levels.

~And basic medicines are unavailable in 75 per cent villages.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Be that as it may, today, I want to focus on a few major achievements that have transformed the lives of our people in a way we never imagined would happen:

*Green revolution

*White revolution

*Economic reforms of 1991

*Independent media and brave journalists

*Telecom revolution

*Space Technology

*Atomic Energy

*Software revolution

To Read about these Achievements in Detail, Click Here!.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Conclusion:

What do these eight programmes have in common? They were all led by visionaries. These visionaries accepted global benchmarks and settled for nothing less despite tremendous odds. In each of these initiatives the national government was a genuine catalyst supported by some extraordinary politicians and bureaucrats. These examples clearly show how the people and the government can work together to achieve what is thought impossible.

What do I expect from the India of 2067?.

I want an India where every child will have access to decent education, healthcare, nutrition and shelter.

-I want an India where every child belonging to every race, religion and caste is confident that there is a bright future for him/her if he/she is honest and hardworking.

-I want an India which receives respect from every global forum because we Indians will be peace-loving; we will be gracious hosts; we will be fair; we will be pluralistic and respect every faith; we will be trustworthy and our aspirations and accomplishments will be high.

Let Us Join Hands together To Make INDIA One of the Best.

PROUD TO BE AN INDIAN.

Jai Hind!...

crazy
15th August 2007, 09:04 PM
:P

Lambretta
15th August 2007, 09:13 PM
The IT and agriculture combined forces will make india a stronger country.
This is wat is the most common misconception that most ppl. have, bout IT especially! :)
Note: I'm NOT joining in the anti-celebrations of this day! just debating this one point...
How can just one field serve the needs of an entire country in total financial/social/economic freedom? Could/should we expect each & everyone born in India to become an IT professional? Tat can never be possible, even with every other parent today pushing their kids into tat particular prof. line! :)
Or r other fields not necesary?
And besides, I wouldnt consider it logical to grab onto IT as a victory flagship for India bcos IMO it jus proves Rohit & Brandan's point bout Indian professionals being hired in this field because they can be had cheaper & yet OTOH the pay in terms of rupees is attracting many of our ppl. thus making them (& our country) more depandant on IT-based MNCs (same is the case w/ call centres/BPOs setting up base in India.)......plus nearly half of the IT crowd r still interested to go abroad for jobs if they get a 'chance', as is the case with certain other 'high-funda' professions as well.
Even the developed nations have developed themselves in every shpere rather than just hang onto one successful sphere they've had to come under the developed category. :)

Oh, and almsot forgot- HAPPY INDEPENDANCE DAY! :D

PS- craze- y the :P?
:roll:

Lambretta
15th August 2007, 09:55 PM
1. Indian PP holders are given visa on arrival in some countries like Singapore, malaysia , Indonesia...
True, but again these countries (excpt for Singapore) r again considered pretty much in the same category as India as opposed to Super powers & nationals of these countries usually face the same situations as our ppl. do on arriving at foreign destinations.
I had heard while in SG tat a SG citizenship is very valued among ppl. settling there as a SG pp holder can jus show their pp & walk into any known country in the world, getting the visa on the spot!

all those western branded clothes are so expensive coz they have marketed the brands so well to make ppl believe that it's a pride to have own those...

I do agree on this one point, of course its not jus on western goods but ne with a BRAND name! :roll:
Donno y ppl. tend to think tat brand names existed at the time of earth's creation! :x

Rohit
16th August 2007, 02:03 AM
[tscii:238a45c6ce]One can loose things that one previously had or has truly acquired, but one cannot loose things that one didn’t have or hasn’t truly acquired.

The notion of old and new applies to changing things. In today’s India, has anything changed for the benefit of Indian masses?

If the answer is yes, any diffident rationalisation is justifiable. If the answer is no, all rationalisations are nothing more than just canards.

Ancient India
Populated by ancient people

"The Way of Thinking and Doing Things (WTDT)" based on primitive knowledge

Complete disregard for scientific and technological development

No political and military unity existed among the states (Separate states)
India before and during independence
Essentially populated by illiterate and uneducated masses

"The Way of Thinking and Doing Things (WTDT)" essentially based on primitive knowledge, but were exposed to foreign influences.

Continued lack of native scientific and technological development, but were exposed to western scientific and technological advance, its value and benefits.

No political and military unity could exist among the states (Separate states)
India during and after independence
Essentially populated by illiterate and uneducated masses with a slow increase in literate/educated elite class.

Essentially no change in "The Way of Thinking and Doing Things (WTDT)"

Gradual adoption of western science and technology, reconciling with its habitual way of life

Establishment of political and military unity through mutual agreement of constituent states (Union of states)
India Today after independence
Essentially populated by illiterate and uneducated masses with more increase in literate/educated elite class.

A little change in "The Way of Thinking and Doing Things (WTDT)"

Complete adoption of western science and technology, nearly abandoning its original way of life

Stable military unity with shaky political situation among the constituent states (Union of states)I shall leave it entirely to the intelligence of the readers to figure out the factors that were/are predominantly responsible for the construction of such an erratic history of India.[/tscii:238a45c6ce]

Nakeeran
16th August 2007, 09:52 AM
Happy independence day.

I feel proud to be an Indian .

Whatever may be our problems / issues , it gives a happy feeling if the country is your own.

Despite the multiple languages, castes, religion, habits & customs, we stand together for any major event , be it good or bad .

The togetherness we display is something no country can achieve with this kind of diverse interests . Simply amazing.

We have set standards to the world by being a friendly nation & supportive to crisis . On diplomatic front, we have improved to a significant extent .

On the economic front, there is definite improvement when compared to the situation immediately after the independence. True, the gap between rich & poor is still there but its something which every nation finds it .

Very easy to criticize , just by typing something from your laptop .

We had some great leaders as well as crooks but lets march forward by taking the path of the great ones & lead by example. Lets me noble citizens of our country. This is the one way, we can control corruption which is one major impediment to our progress.

What we contribute to our nation is more paramount than expecting the nation to contribute to us . Naadena seidhadhu namakku ena kelvigal ketpadhu edharku ? nee enna seidhaai adharku ?? If each citizen thinks positively, our nation will go forward by leaps and bounds.

I am a proud Indian

Truly a great nation my India is .

pavalamani pragasam
16th August 2007, 10:20 AM
:2thumbsup:

dev
16th August 2007, 11:13 AM
True, but again these countries (excpt for Singapore) r again considered pretty much in the same category as India as opposed to Super powers & nationals of these countries usually face the same situations as our ppl. do on arriving at foreign destinations.
I had heard while in SG tat a SG citizenship is very valued among ppl. settling there as a SG pp holder can jus show their pp & walk into any known country in the world, getting the visa on the spot!

Tht's not entirely true... They are on visa waiver programme with some countries but not all. FYI, there is no such thing like on arrival visa in India(no matter which country they are from) except for absolute emergencies... this was the case until a year ago(ie when a Singaporean friend of mine went on a trip to inda)... I don't think this rule has been changed yet...:)

dev
16th August 2007, 11:19 AM
I just read on wiki tht around 60 countries and territories offer visa free travel or visa on arrival facilities to Indian citizens as per the latest count.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Indian_passport

joe
16th August 2007, 09:18 PM

It is news to me :roll: Indian PP holders are not given arrival visa in singapore and malaysia.But Srilankan PP can get arrival visa in singapore.

joe
16th August 2007, 09:49 PM
FYI, there is no such thing like on arrival visa in India(no matter which country they are from) except for absolute emergencies...

Yes..These kind of Visa previlages are mostly on mutual agreement .Since India is not allowing most of the other PP for free entry ,they are also not alowing .

And many countries (among 60 you pointed out) giving Visa upon arrival for all PP,nothing spl for Indian PP ..Eg .Cambodia.

NOV
17th August 2007, 06:28 AM
Yes..These kind of Visa previlages are mostly on mutual agreement .Since India is not allowing most of the other PP for free entry ,they are also not alowing .:exactly:
at one time, there was no visa requirement for travel between malaysia/singapore and india, since they are all commonwealth countries.

with the murder of indira gandhi, it was india that imposed visa on nationals of other countries and this was reciprocated by malaysia/singapore.

it is no use crying now that nationals of other countries do not require visa when the original sin was done by india. :evil:

and i dont expect them to stop this visa business in future as there is free income to be earned each time someone visits india. :evil:

joe
17th August 2007, 06:34 AM
it is no use crying now that nationals of other countries do not require visa when the original sin was done by india. :evil:

and i dont expect them to stop this visa business in future as there is free income to be earned each time someone visits india. :evil:

Very True

joe
17th August 2007, 06:38 AM
Even with arival visa and already given visa ,at many places(eg Cambodia ,Vietnam) when I show Indian PP ,they used to enquire more (compare to other PP) and take time to complete the immigiration .But once I show Singapore IC as a additional proof for my residence detail ,next sec i am cleared. :oops:

dev
17th August 2007, 07:31 AM

It is news to me :roll: Indian PP holders are not given arrival visa in singapore and malaysia.But Srilankan PP can get arrival visa in singapore.

Indian PP holders are given visa on arrival in SG & malaysia... My husb had taken an on arrival in SG 5 yrs back & my cousin took an on arrival in malaysia just abt a yr back(but I believe ur port of entry should be KL or if by land from SG, it should be via second link... They just need confirmation that one has enough money(in cash) to carry on their trip & a return ticket...:)

app_engine
17th August 2007, 07:33 AM
Another digression reg. SG visa:
When my wife & children had more than 10 hrs transit time at SG this summer en route to India, they were given SG visa at the airport:-) (BTW, I'm not a permanent resident in U.S., just a H1B...)
End-digression

dev
17th August 2007, 07:36 AM
FYI, there is no such thing like on arrival visa in India(no matter which country they are from) except for absolute emergencies...

Yes..These kind of Visa previlages are mostly on mutual agreement .Since India is not allowing most of the other PP for free entry ,they are also not alowing .

Tht's true...

And many countries (among 60 you pointed out) giving Visa upon arrival for all PP,nothing spl for Indian PP ..Eg .Cambodia.

I gave tht list just for an info & not to make my point stronger...:)

dev
17th August 2007, 07:38 AM

You need to pay a price if U want to visit India... :wink: :lol: :twisted:

BTW have U taken the PIO card, NOV?... I guess U would be eligible for it, right?...

joe
17th August 2007, 08:10 AM
Dev,appe_engine,
Pls be informed that Indian PP(infact any PP) can have Transit visa if you have more than 5 hours of transit time ,but no arrival visa to stay for weeks .But Most of the PP's (incuding Srilanka PP) ,they will give 2 weeks visiting VISA upon arrival ,which is not possible for Indian PP.
(I am residing in singapore for more than 7 years)

joe
17th August 2007, 08:13 AM

BTW have U taken the PIO card, NOV?... I guess U would be eligible for it, right?...

It is nothing to laugh ,but irritating .Because of our stupid foregin policies ,we are less previlaged to travel around the globe.

NOV
17th August 2007, 08:33 AM
Indian PP holders are given visa on arrival in SG & malaysia... My husb had taken an on arrival in SG 5 yrs back & my cousin took an on arrival in malaysia just abt a yr back(but I believe ur port of entry should be KL or if by land from SG, it should be via second link... They just need confirmation that one has enough money(in cash) to carry on their trip & a return ticket...:)true then, but sadly no more.

the visa on arrival for indian citizens lasted less than one year. they have stopped this, at least for those from TN, quoting misuse. :cry:

BTW have U taken the PIO card, NOV?... I guess U would be eligible for it, right?...I sure hope so. i went to india in june and will be going again in november and have to pay visa fees twice. :evil:

was speaking to a freind abt PIO and he told me that a lot of conditions have to be fulfilled and it will be really a long and weary journey.
he also told me abt a short cut. :roll:

dev
17th August 2007, 08:35 AM
Dev,appe_engine,
Pls be informed that Indian PP(infact any PP) can have Transit visa if you have more than 5 hours of transit time ,but no arrival visa to stay for weeks .But Most of the PP's (incuding Srilanka PP) ,they will give 2 weeks visiting VISA upon arrival ,which is not possible for Indian PP.
(I am residing in singapore for more than 7 years)

I am not sure abt weeks... but for few days(3-4 days,if i am right), yes... they do give... Yes, my husb was on his way from Japan to India...:)

dev
17th August 2007, 08:49 AM

It is nothing to laugh ,but irritating .Because of our stupid foregin policies ,we are less previlaged to travel around the globe.

We might find it stupid... but they might have a reason to do it which we r not fully aware of... :) I travel to a max of 2-3 countries a yr... So I don't find it any diffi to pay a few $ to get a visa or to take the trouble of filling in a few forms... Infact, we can get multiple entry visa for some countries(for ex: US gives 10 yr multiple entry tourist visa)...so no trouble of applying multiple times even if we travel frequently... Maybe if u r a frequent traveller, it might be an issue applying for multiple visas... but for the avg Indian who travels to a very few places in a yr, I don't think it's an issue... :)

dev
17th August 2007, 08:55 AM
Indian PP holders are given visa on arrival in SG & malaysia... My husb had taken an on arrival in SG 5 yrs back & my cousin took an on arrival in malaysia just abt a yr back(but I believe ur port of entry should be KL or if by land from SG, it should be via second link... They just need confirmation that one has enough money(in cash) to carry on their trip & a return ticket...:)true then, but sadly no more.

the visa on arrival for indian citizens lasted less than one year. they have stopped this, at least for those from TN, quoting misuse. :cry:

I'm not sure abt tht... Wht I've told here is from my exper... :) Appadiye irundhaalum, it's the ppl who misused it & made them withdraw tht policy... aprom chumma inga vandhu govt naala thaan ellamnu pesuradhu sariyanu enakku theriyalai!!!... :)

I sure hope so. i went to india in june and will be going again in november and have to pay visa fees twice. :evil:

was speaking to a freind abt PIO and he told me that a lot of conditions have to be fulfilled and it will be really a long and weary journey.
he also told me abt a short cut. :roll:

I C... I'm not sure of the procedures but I know a friend who has taken the PIO card & he said it was quiet easy if we can produce the req proofs...I don't know wht he meant by those proofs... but he was an Indian who then went on to become a SG citizen... so maybe it was easier for him... In ur case, I guess it'll be different...:)

crazy
17th August 2007, 12:04 PM
Even with arival visa and already given visa ,at many places(eg Cambodia ,Vietnam) when I show Indian PP ,they used to enquire more (compare to other PP) and take time to complete the immigiration .But once I show Singapore IC as a additional proof for my residence detail ,next sec i am cleared. :oops:

at once they saw my BOP or my tamil name in my Norwegian passport .....Indian immigartion doesnt only took a long time, but also .....took my to a higher immigration officer :evil:

at the 60th independence day/ year...i wish Indians or Indian immigration officers changes their attitudes towards us( SL tamils :? ) in the coming years! :)

Sorry for the dig

Roshan
17th August 2007, 01:56 PM

Yes Joe is correct. Indians are not given visa on arrival in Singapore.

Roshan
17th August 2007, 02:10 PM
Dev,

I am 100% sure that the 14 day visa on arrival is not given to indian PP holders in Singapor now. Once me and a colleague of mine who is an Indian had to fly via Singapore to Dhaka, and he was plannig to stop over for a couple days in Singapore on his way back. But he was not granted visa on arrival in Singapore , whereas for me it was given.

dev
17th August 2007, 02:52 PM
Dev,

I am 100% sure that the 14 day visa on arrival is not given to indian PP holders in Singapor now. Once me and a colleague of mine who is an Indian had to fly via Singapore to Dhaka, and he was plannig to stop over for a couple days in Singapore on his way back. But he was not granted visa on arrival in Singapore , whereas for me it was given.

My husb was given an on arrival visa when he was in transit from Japan to India & he stayed here for 2-3 days... This happened 5 yrs back... I'm talking abt intransit visa which is valid for 4 days(tht's wht sources on the web say)... Appadi rombe sandhegama irundha sollunga...naan venumna SG embassy-la ketu solluren... It's as simple as that...:)
http://www.visitsingapore.com/publish/stbportal/en/home/getting_here/visa_free_transit.html

Just coz one person is refused entry, it doesn't mean tht noone from India will be given an in transit(on arrival) visa & vice versa...

joe
17th August 2007, 03:16 PM
Dev,
Neenga sollurathu mattum thaan unmai-nnu vachukkuvom .

But,I hope atleast you can agree that Indian PP is less previlaged compare to SriLanka PP ,for Singapore Immigration.

Roshan
17th August 2007, 03:41 PM
Just coz one person is refused entry, it doesn't mean tht noone from India will be given an in transit(on arrival) visa & vice versa...

Dev,

ethukku tension. It was not for one person, when our admin unit tried to get the information thats what the Singapore Embassy and Travel Agent confirmed. Avar mattumilla, subsequently some other Indian colleagues also tried and thats what they repeatedly confirmed, saying that 14 days visa on arrival is not granted for Indian PP holders. Visa on transit is a different thing and you may be right on that but I am talking about the 14 days visa on arrival.

Who requires a visa?
Required only by the following:
(a)* nationals of Afghanistan, Algeria, Bangladesh, Cambodia, China (PR), CIS, Egypt, India, Iran, Iraq, Jordan, Laos, Lebanon, Libya, Myanmar, Pakistan, Saudi Arabia, Somalia, Sudan, Syria, Tunisia, Vietnam, Yemen and holders of Palestinian Authority passports;
(b) those holding Refugee Travel Documents issued by Middle Eastern countries;
(c) those holding Hong Kong Document of Identity cards and holders of a Macau SAR Travel Permit.

All other nationals require a Social Visit Pass, which is issued on arrival (at the discretion of the Immigration Officer) provided the traveller holds a passport valid for 6 months beyond date of departure, confirmed onward or return travel documentation, and sufficient funds to cover expenses for the duration of stay. For nationals holding British and Irish passports, the maximum length of stay is 30 days, for other nationals the maximum length of stay is 14 days.

http://www.learn4good.com/travel/singapore_visa.htm#req

dev
17th August 2007, 04:10 PM
Dev,
Neenga sollurathu mattum thaan unmai-nnu vachukkuvom .

But,I hope atleast you can agree that Indian PP is less previlaged compare to SriLanka PP ,for Singapore Immigration.

naan yaarum poi sollureenganu sollalai... naan enaku thrinjadhai sonnen... avalo thaan...:)

dev
17th August 2007, 04:14 PM
Roshan,

Naan enga tension aanen...:lol: Naan enakku therinjadhai inga sonnen... avalo thaan... I'm not here to support or criticise the govt policies...:)

dev
17th August 2007, 04:15 PM
BTW, I thought U were talking abt intransit visa as u said U friend wanted to stay here for a couple of days...:)

Roshan
17th August 2007, 04:28 PM
BTW, I thought U were talking abt intransit visa as u said U friend wanted to stay here for a couple of days...:)

He was planning to stop over and stay for about a week. Since he had an immediate connecting flight to Colombo and there was no need for such a long stay for transit purpose, the only option was the 14 days visa on arrival. That wasn't possible as he was an Indian PP holder.

dev
17th August 2007, 05:06 PM
Joe, Indian PP holdersku on arrival visa kidaikalangaradhukaaga adhu under priviledged-nu illai... These depends upon the mutual agreement between countries... I might accept tht Indian PP is underprivileged if any country refuses me a visa(tht was applied as per procedures set by tht country) for the sole reason that I am an Indian PP holder... :)

dev
17th August 2007, 05:08 PM

He was planning to stop over and stay for about a week. Since he had an immediate connecting flight to Colombo and there was no need for such a long stay for transit purpose, the only option was the 14 days visa on arrival. That wasn't possible as he was an Indian PP holder.

Oh... ok...

Have a nice weekend, Roshan... me logging out now...:)

Roshan
17th August 2007, 05:24 PM
Have a nice weekend, Roshan... me logging out now...:)

You too have a nice week end :) :D :wave:

Lambretta
18th August 2007, 01:10 AM

On a not-too-related note same reason y importing even spare parts for old vehicles is a problem for us here! :sigh2: