PDA

View Full Version : Parutheeviran grabs two major awards

thilak4life
30th July 2007, 12:02 PM
OSIAN awards.

About this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Osian%27s_Cinefan_Festival_of_Asian_and_Arab_Cinem a

PV won For best film and best actress for Indian films.

http://www.osians.com/cinefan/cawards.php?sfid=64

sakthivel_cool
30th July 2007, 12:45 PM
it deserves more....its bold attempt..congrts 2 PV team...especially Ameer and Priya mani..:clap:

P_R
30th July 2007, 12:47 PM
Great ! Am sure this is just the beginning.

thilak4life
30th July 2007, 12:54 PM
PR,

Do you think it deserves it? More than Omkara or dor, for example!

Sanjeevi
30th July 2007, 01:05 PM
it deserves...

P_R
30th July 2007, 01:06 PM
Have seen neither.
Paruthiveeran does deserve it.

The citation couldn't have been put better:
"For its strong narrative that allows reality to be played out cinematically, rendered with visual energy to connect with a wider audience."

joe
30th July 2007, 01:08 PM
Movie deserves ,not Priyamani ,though she did very good,not extrodinary.

NOV
30th July 2007, 01:35 PM
I disagree Joe.
Priyamani lived the role. :thumbsup:

Happy for PV team and Tamil cinema :victory:

joe
30th July 2007, 01:38 PM
I disagree Joe.
Priyamani lived the role. :thumbsup:

I agree she did very well ..But for this character ,Yaar panniyirunthaalum naam pugazhnthiruppom ..Btw, She must be appreciated to take this role ,which most actress surely reject.

ThalaNass
30th July 2007, 01:44 PM
wow.. gr8.. :D Amir and Priya :notworthy:

thilak4life
30th July 2007, 01:44 PM
I'm glad that a Thamizh film won. But I honestly feel that Omkara deserves it more. But anyway, I don't think Ameer should be sidelined for being judgmental. After all, every filmmaker is.

Would like to know who voted "It's just another average film, contrived and pretentious" and 'it s*cks'!

NOV
30th July 2007, 01:48 PM
But for this character ,Yaar panniyirunthaalum naam pugazhnthiruppom ...isnt it the same for the roles of both Karthi & Saravanan?

anyway, I am very happy! Hope MOZHI wins plenty of awards too. :D

joe
30th July 2007, 01:55 PM
But for this character ,Yaar panniyirunthaalum naam pugazhnthiruppom ...isnt it the same for the roles of both Karthi & Saravanan?

I am not satisfied with her dialogue delivery and souther TN diction .She could have given dubbing ,but it was purposely avoided since acting with dubbing voice normally disqualify for awards.

sriranga
30th July 2007, 02:02 PM

I am not satisfied with her dialogue delivery and souther TN diction .She could have given dubbing ,but it was purposely avoided since acting with dubbing voice normally disqualify for awards.

IMO, priyamani did a good job.

priyamani thavira vera yaarum muthazhagu role-a ivolavu nalla panni irukka mudiyathu.

thilak4life
30th July 2007, 02:06 PM
But Joe,

The jury doesn't care about diction. For eg, I found Konkana sen's dialogue delivery to be perfect in Omkara. Because I saw it with subtitles, and I found her 'delivery' to be crisp and it sounds neat with her voice (although it was a horrid time to interpret without subtitles). And I could only get urban hindi(with good attention), then how could I judge how good or appropriate her accent is, from whatever rural interiors, her character is from. The same applies to OSIAN jury, I guess.

NOV
30th July 2007, 02:26 PM
its good that priyamani used her own voice - it had a good rustic feel to it. guess that must have been one of th eplus points for the film.

thilak4life
30th July 2007, 02:32 PM
Nice to see four people finding it contrived and pretentious, would be glad if they gave their reasons. :)

joe
30th July 2007, 02:35 PM
All Credits go to Ameer :clap:

smith1
30th July 2007, 03:24 PM
Omkara is a poor adaptation of hamlet. Does not deserve an award.

How ajay becomes suspicious of vivek is not convincingly told.

selvakumar
30th July 2007, 03:28 PM
I have seen many rocking polls in the hub. This one joins the list as well.
Thilak :lol: :thumbsup:

thilak4life
30th July 2007, 03:32 PM
Omkara is a poor adaptation of hamlet. Does not deserve an award.

How ajay becomes suspicious of vivek is not convincingly told.

:hammer:

thilak4life
30th July 2007, 03:36 PM

:) What do you think, Selva! Which option did you opt for?

joe
30th July 2007, 03:37 PM
Thilak,
what is your option?

selvakumar
30th July 2007, 03:38 PM

:) What do you think, Selva! Which option did you opt for?

:shaking:
btw, I donno on what basis this award was given. I donno anything about the other films that competed with PV. So, unable to comment

thilak4life
30th July 2007, 03:48 PM
Thilak,
what is your option?

Haven't voted yet. If I had to, then I would go with 1. Because not everyday you see a thamizh film winning. It could be called 'bold', or could be called 'contrived'. I got to watch it again to judge it convincingly. But it isn't bad (I hardly come across a decent cinephile who blasts this completely). I don't mind seeing it win, to be honest!

joe
30th July 2007, 03:50 PM
Thilak,
what is your option?

Haven't voted yet. If I had to, then I would go with 1. Because not everyday you see a thamizh film winning. It could be called 'bold', or could be called 'contrived'. I got to watch it again to judge it convincingly. But it isn't bad (I hardly come across a decent cinephile who blasts this completely). I don't mind seeing it win, to be honest!

Exactly ! I voted for option 1 too :D

kannannn
30th July 2007, 04:17 PM
:shock: PV? Best film? IMO, Omkara was miles ahead of PV (though it wasn't as good as Maqbool). As if this wasn't enough, Priya Mani is to be given the best actress award :banghead: . That jury sure has some sense of humour.

smith1
30th July 2007, 04:23 PM
in what way omkara was better? Only saif's performance was worth a watch.

crajkumar_be
30th July 2007, 04:33 PM
I also voted for Option 1 :)

Like Kannan said, Omkara was miles ahead of Paruthiveeran. (IMO its difficult to decide between Maqbool and Omkara). VB definitely deserves an award for both these films. :notworthy:

That said, it's good that a film like PV from our land got recognized :thumbsup:

Priya Mani - Best actress-a? :shock: :banghead:

Sanjeevi
30th July 2007, 06:21 PM
http://mayyam.com/hub/viewtopic.php?p=1133074#1133074

Karthi has received best actor award in some film festival for PV, before catching what the festival name was, it was over. They showed it on CNN-IBN today, anyone knows what festival it was?

Any more news?

Nerd
30th July 2007, 06:56 PM
Haven't seen dor but I would say both omkara and PV are equally good. Maqbool was many times better than omkara though. But I thought PV karthik did a better job than Saif though they both literally lived their characters. But priya mani for best actress is a joke indeed. But she was pretty good in the climax and may be the juries fell for it :P

kannannn
30th July 2007, 06:56 PM
in what way omkara was better? Only saif's performance was worth a watch.

I beg to differ. Even the usually irritating Kareena Kapoor was good in Omkara. And the supporting cast, including the guy who was supposed to marry Kareena (he was amazing, in fact), Kareena's father and Naseerudin Shah were great. Not to mention the subtlety in the dialogues - a sample: Saif lying on the bed with Konkana after their love making session and Saif latching on to her passing comment that he is an animal - starting with tiger, his guess finally ends up with: "snake? chameleon?" each time becoming more concious of what he actually is. Brilliant piece of film making. :notworthy: :notworthy:

My main grouse against PV is the length. As I said before what was supposed to be a short story has been prolonged into a tiresome novel. The flashback sequences were plain irritating with mediocre acting. Only Karthi stood out in the whole movie. Summa graamathu baashai pesi, aruvaala ongina award material aagiduma?!

That notwithstanding, I do agree with CR that it is a matter of pride for Tamil Cinema.

thilak4life
30th July 2007, 07:27 PM
Don't compare PV to Omkara.

In short: Omkara is a fascinating story, scrumptiously narrated and well crafted. PV is crafted with the climax with an (blatant)excuse of a cliched childhood romance and family feud! It just pales in comparison. But that said, the film had an impact. I understand why the jury fell for it. Even, I fell for it. But I have to watch it again to see how cleverly disguised and devised Ameer was.

About Omkara's acting - Heck, Kareena, Vivek oberoi, and Bipasha basu could express and play their characters! :shock: And what more, the film's cinematography, music, nuances, etc just knocks off PV! Neither does it flaunt about dealing with a rural 'issue' (while fiddling with it). So, whichever way you look at it, Omkara is the winner.

But...but...I'm glad PV won. Now would Thamizh directors get some inspiration for making films which doesn't have to stick to the routine 'formula'!

And yes, Jury could tell us why they chose Priya mani. Maybe they found her expressions to be good. I was irritated because there was an inconsistency in Muthazhagu's behaviour!

smith1
30th July 2007, 08:05 PM
U are talking of performances only in omkara, but what abt the basis for ajay's suspicion.

They have not shown sufficient scenes to establish that.

Naseer appears ion hardly a couple of scenes, so where is the scope for a great performace here? Similar is the case with bipasha.

For that matter, saravan, ponvannan & a couple of others also gave good supporting performances in PV.

crajkumar_be
30th July 2007, 10:06 PM
U are talking of performances only in omkara, but what abt the basis for ajay's suspicion.
They have not shown sufficient scenes to establish that.

:shock: Check out the scenes where Saif clearly sows the seeds, though he puts on an image of doing the opposite.
- Vivek hurriedly leaving in his bike as Ajay and Saif watch
- The stolen kudumba nagaigal
And quite a few other snippets

Naseer appears ion hardly a couple of scenes, so where is the scope for a great performace here? Similar is the case with bipasha.

adhanala enna?
Nagesh in Magalir Mattum, Rajini in 16 Vayadhinile, etc...

For that matter, saravan, ponvannan & a couple of others also gave good supporting performances in PV.
Saravanan - Yes, he was quite natural but Ponvannan - i'm not so sure. Infact, if i'm not wrong he speaks with a slight kongu (Coimbatore) accent - he is a native of that area - while the rest of the cast speaks in the local accent.

crajkumar_be
30th July 2007, 10:10 PM
And the supporting cast, including the guy who was supposed to marry Kareena (he was amazing, in fact),
Deepak Dobriyal (http://www.rediff.com/movies/2006/aug/21deepak.htm)
[Thanks to blogger Zero (http://movielane.blogspot.com/2006/08/continuing-on-omkara-do-read-deepak.html) ]

kannannn
31st July 2007, 02:52 AM
And the supporting cast, including the guy who was supposed to marry Kareena (he was amazing, in fact),
Deepak Dobriyal (http://www.rediff.com/movies/2006/aug/21deepak.htm)
[Thanks to blogger Zero (http://movielane.blogspot.com/2006/08/continuing-on-omkara-do-read-deepak.html) ]

Ah, another actor with roots in theater. It shows :D. I can't remember him from Maqbool though.

Sinthiya
31st July 2007, 07:25 AM
i want to see Omkara..still haven't seen it...:cry:...

Vivasaayi
31st July 2007, 10:09 AM
as a tamil kudimagan, i proud that tamil film and tamilan winning awards but

osian award - how prestigous is that award? :roll:
what critera fr movies to enter?
award giving procedure? :roll:

cos priyamani award getting mean theres somthing fundamentally wrong abt jury and award system :rotfl: . also, movie had large holes in script :oops: .

P_R
31st July 2007, 10:44 AM
:shock: PV? Best film? IMO, Omkara was miles ahead of PV (though it wasn't as good as Maqbool). As if this wasn't enough, Priya Mani is to be given the best actress award :banghead: . That jury sure has some sense of humour.Haven't seen Omkara yet.

Muthazagu sometimes got on one's nerves because of some shades of KB style heroinism. But do you really think her performance was that bad ?

I saw it just once but I remember her expressions when the kid comes home to tell her Veeran has been released and she asks him if he knows about her suicide drama, the smile she breaks into when Veeran shows her his tattoo (he was terrible in just that one scene). Agree she did not nail the accent (like Karthi and Saravanan) but there several places where her expressions and diction were noteworthy. The way she says "indhEru" (a typical Madurai 'indho paaru') in the scene with Veeran near the kammAi is just the way it is spoken.

The smaller characters (from the kid to PoNanthinni to the Gusthi master's student) come out really well. The dialogues are among the best I have seen spoken in TFI in a long time. Film dialogues are not quotable quotes, they should feel exactly like the lines spoken by the character. On that count Paruthiveeran was great. Right from "veerapparambarai saar" to the very end the lines and way they are delivered are just perfect.

Hope this film garners more accolades.

Devar Magan
31st July 2007, 11:01 AM
priyamani deserved it very much.. :clap:

crajkumar_be
31st July 2007, 11:19 AM
Priya Mani's body language, DD and accent were unconvincing and put-on, sticking out like a sore thumb. One got the feeling of watching an urban woman attemtpting a rural accent in rural attire.
Opening her eyes wide, raising her eye brows, talking slowly in a deep voice etc - it was all artificial and didn't fit at all in most scenes.

Devar Magan
31st July 2007, 11:22 AM
Priya Mani's body language, DD and accent were unconvincing and put-on, sticking out like a sore thumb. One got the feeling of watching an urban woman attemtpting a rural accent in rural attire.
Opening her eyes wide, raising her eye brows, talking slowly in a deep voice etc - it was all artificial and didn't fit at all in most scenes. yes..

but she deserved any award for her performance in Athu oru kanaa kaalam...

so....... :D

crajkumar_be
31st July 2007, 11:25 AM
Adhu seri :)

thilak4life
31st July 2007, 11:37 AM
Vivasayi,

Don't know about OSIAN awards much. But it says, celebration of Asian and Arabian cinema. Kandipa namba ooru padam mattum pakka mattanga! It has won for Indian section. (this year, it's hosted by New delhi)

selvakumar
31st July 2007, 11:41 AM
yes..

:omg:
Then, Shereen of Thulluvatho Ilamai deserves many more awards :(

Devar Magan
31st July 2007, 12:21 PM
yes..

Then, Shereen of Thulluvatho Ilamai deserves many more awards :( :evil: :twisted: padamey paakkaama pesa koodaathu :twisted:

selvakumar
31st July 2007, 12:32 PM
Then, Shereen of Thulluvatho Ilamai deserves many more awards :( :evil: :twisted: padamey paakkaama pesa koodaathu :twisted:

I have seen the film :twisted: Dhanush - Priyamani film thaanae ! :twisted: BM direction ! Athula enna acting :roll:

Devar Magan
31st July 2007, 12:36 PM

I have seen the film :twisted: Dhanush - Priyamani film thaanae ! :twisted: BM direction ! Athula enna acting :roll: intha details ellorukkum theriyume :!: :!: :lol:

scotish_tamil
31st July 2007, 12:46 PM
Guys, Omkara is a blatant lift of William Shakespear's play "Othello". This play has been made in to a film for atleast 6 times and omkara is the 7th REMAKE(as the official record goes... but there might be more) of this famous play. No wonder paruthiveran bagged the honors 'cause originality always gets the better of things. Infact, the starting scene where two guys pointing at an unknown(to the audience) source and the scene cutting back to that source after they giving their short speach : is a blatant lift of a hollywood movie. i forgot the movie name but it definately is a lift.

If you cannot appreciate a good original movie by our tamil cimema then its fine by me but do not put down our movies by your blatant, stupid assersions 'cause frankly.... your mouth stinks.

I am sorry to say but it does stink.

crajkumar_be
31st July 2007, 12:53 PM
:rotfl: :rotfl:

selvakumar
31st July 2007, 12:57 PM
Haven't seen OMKARA. So, couldn't comment on that.

scotish_tamil :x

smith1
31st July 2007, 01:24 PM
crajkumar,

The scenes sowing the suspicion in ajay's mind are too far & few in between.

What impact naseer made in the 2/3 scenes he had - I think comparing that with nagesh in magalir mattum is a little far fetched.

zz
31st July 2007, 01:46 PM
OMKARA is adaptation of Othelo is as known fact as SUN rises in the east. The very first credit in the film is for Shakespear. Also the film itsself boasts as VB's adaptaion of Othelo. Why the film is brilliant is basically verymuch for these reasons. People who have watched it and can attach themselves to UP reagion and the accent will say nothing short of Brilliant. Though PV is also a brilliant movie OMKara beats it pretty much. Ameer needs few yards to go further, though is he definitely heading there without doubt.

sakthivel_cool
31st July 2007, 01:49 PM
tamilians dont accept their own films bt appreciate others.. :x

kannannn
31st July 2007, 04:16 PM
Muthazagu sometimes got on one's nerves because of some shades of KB style heroinism. But do you really think her performance was that bad ?
As CR said, she seemed like a city breed trying to pass of for a village girl. She just didn't seem natural at all.

The smaller characters (from the kid to PoNanthinni to the Gusthi master's student) come out really well. The dialogues are among the best I have seen spoken in TFI in a long time. Film dialogues are not quotable quotes, they should feel exactly like the lines spoken by the character. On that count Paruthiveeran was great. Right from "veerapparambarai saar" to the very end the lines and way they are delivered are just perfect.
I agree that dialogues must suit the flow of the narrative. And Ameer did a good job on that. But, that alone doesn't make a great movie. There needs to be something to dig in. The plot doesn't need to be deep, but the director must have something to say throughout. Unfortunately, PV fails in that respect.

crajkumar_be
31st July 2007, 04:28 PM
Smith,

crajkumar,
The scenes sowing the suspicion in ajay's mind are too far & few in between.

I think those were enough

What impact naseer made in the 2/3 scenes he had - I think comparing that with nagesh in magalir mattum is a little far fetched.
I made an analogy illustrating the fact that an actor need not play a long or significant role to be impressive. I didn't compare Nagesh's performance in MM directly with Naseer's.

Devar Magan
31st July 2007, 05:18 PM
I agree that dialogues must suit the flow of the narrative. And Ameer did a good job on that. But, that alone doesn't make a great movie. There needs to be something to dig in. The plot doesn't need to be deep, but the director must have something to say throughout. Unfortunately, PV fails in that respect. exactly.. it had a very very thin story line.. 8-)

Vivasaayi
31st July 2007, 06:43 PM
tanx thilak fyi :D

kannnaan has hit nail on head. PV had a very very thin storyline.

the movie's base is luv betn a 8 yr old boy and 6.5 yr old girl :hammer: . it really turned me off seeing duet betn these tiny tots. abaara karpanai :hammer: . vakkiram :x

hoe does he escape attempt to murder(in thiruvizha) case with 3 days in jail :shock:

he cuts the ears of policeman and remains scatt free with his chithhapa as if he has won a paramveerchakra :o . police mela kai vechha, enna aagumnnu makkalukku theriyum :D

in the accident scene, his father,mother,this child travel but only father and mother die, child escapes :o - did i miss a detail there? :roll: or did the cycle seat have a seat-belt for the child :lol2:

indha padathukku award kedachhadhae jaasthi. i relly thank jury :notworthy: .

Omakara? :roll: englis padama?

selvakumar
31st July 2007, 07:29 PM
vivasaayi,
Your last one - child escape is :roll: There is a possibility ! Even great earthquakes have left many survivors :)

rocketboy
31st July 2007, 08:04 PM
Veyil was much more a realistic portrayal of country life than Paruthiveeran. Priya Mani getting an award for her role. :? She was a misfit in the movie.

selvakumar
31st July 2007, 08:09 PM
Veyil was much more a realistic portrayal of country life than Paruthiveeran. Priya Mani getting an award for her role. :? She was a misfit in the movie.

:)
btw, Rocketboy, unga thalaivi bhavanavukku FILMFARE Best Actress award koduthirukaango ! :wink:

rocketboy
31st July 2007, 08:10 PM
Thanks Selva .

rocketboy
31st July 2007, 08:12 PM
-duplicate post-

smith1
31st July 2007, 08:13 PM
athuthaan bhavanuvekke innum puriyala. :-)

P_R
31st July 2007, 08:16 PM
I agree that dialogues must suit the flow of the narrative. And Ameer did a good job on that. But, that alone doesn't make a great movie. There needs to be something to dig in. The plot doesn't need to be deep, but the director must have something to say throughout. Unfortunately, PV fails in that respect. Hmm.. I see your point but I am reluctant to agree with the 'must' in your sentence.

Paruthiveeran, can mostly be thought of as a kind of 'a day in the life of..' storyline. In that respect I am sure you'll agree that it was nearly as it good as it gets. Regarding the (apparent) absence of the storyline, I prefer to box it under the famous category: 'the pointlessness of it all' .

You are made to feel this is a telling of events in the life of real people (not necessarily 'believable' events, mind you) . Even the seeming ridiculousness of their situations leave you perturbed.

When one looks for resolution of everything, we end up with novel twists such as: 'words' on the final screen, announcing that the rowdy protagonist's estranged wife became a lunatic :mrgreen: I had to say that !