PDA

View Full Version : Help with illyaraja songs

jamesashcroft
8th August 2007, 12:24 AM
Hello, my name is James. I am french canadian, however typing from public computer here in toronto, I have question to ask for this forum. I have listening to some songs I find on my friends old computer and I like them very much, by the composer named illyaraja, they are very beautiful, i dont understand them but i can feel them very amazing. One was called "chinna kannan - kavikuyil". I wonder if some of you can help me, because I like this song and others like it but do not understand the language. can anyone be willing to help me and tell the meanings of the lyrics in these songs? i could appreciate it very much.. thank you

Also what other songs can i find like this? Can you tell me the names for them? I found some other songs which i like very much,

EDIT: I find lyrics for this song hre

http://www.musicindiaonline.com/lr/26/2680/

Sanjeevi
8th August 2007, 11:06 AM
Hi Jamesashcroft,

Welcome to hub and world of IlaiyarAja. Here you can find fanstastic information about this song.

http://mayyam.com/hub/viewtopic.php?t=618

BTW someone will post the meaning, wait and see.

Also you can check some other fabulous songs by reading our valuable hubber Manisekaran's articles.

http://mayyam.com/hub/viewforum.php?f=13

raja_fan
8th August 2007, 02:38 PM
James,

Welcome !

Well, I would suggest to you not to worry much about understanding the lyrics of the songs for various reasons. One is that, anyone can literally translate these songs, but to appreciate it you would have to understand the context, Indian/Tamil way of living etc which might take a very long time for you ( I am saying this because songs in Indian film world is very different from the songs you hear in western albums ).

So please don't spend your time on the lyrics. Just jump in to the ocean of musical wonder called Ilaiyaraja, whom we adore the most as a musical messiah particularly in South India :)

I am sure many of our friends here will be helping you in the coming days in locating the songs of Ilaiyaraja.

But for now, I would suggest you to go to youtube.com and search for Ilaiyaraja, Illayaraja etc.

jamesashcroft
8th August 2007, 08:46 PM
Hello friends. Again sorry if english is not too good.

To Sanjeevi,

Thank you for link! Very interest article, though i do not understand all the terms. so this is famous song then!

To raja_fan,

Yes I appreciate your help! Of course always there is culture gap but i am very openminded person and i have studied many, many cultures around the world as my uni degree, I think it will be fine! I am indeed very very curious to understand the meanings of this song!

but I do not listen much to new english songs here, i like listening to classical music because now these new songs are mostly pop and rap (yuck).

irir123
8th August 2007, 10:18 PM
hi jamesashcroft: welcome to the Forum! can you check your PM section pls ? i sent you a message

eagle
9th August 2007, 02:12 AM
Hi james,
raja is great!!!!

jamesashcroft
13th August 2007, 08:55 AM
Hello again,

So, is there is someone who can translate those lyrics for me then? I don't want to seem annoying but I really am curious to know.....

raja_fan
13th August 2007, 05:32 PM
Chinna kannan Azhaikkiraan -

Little Krishna calls you !

Radhaiyai poonkodhaiyai -

Calls his lady love Radha !

James, please.., it is difficult to translate line by line :) In that time, you can listen to more gems of Raja !

For example, give a listen to the song "Vikram vikram"
http://www.musicindiaonline.com/music/tamil/s/movie_name.5642/music_director.504/

and let us know what you feel !

jamesashcroft
13th August 2007, 09:22 PM
Hello,

Yes thankyou. is it really too difficult to translate? well if it is too hard then sorry to ask a lot, but i am interested..but you see someone earlier said I could not understand the lyrics but I do know who the people that you write are form, from indian religous books, i have studied them in my university classes, so I do know the meaning .... :)

yes i listen to other songs i find as well. that site does not work for me i am afraid. but i have one i like called "naan kaanum". this is great because i find a site here (http://www.geocities.com/subashworld/) that tells me what it means in english. But that site does not translate for any other songs i heard :(

But the list that sanjeevi post earlier help me, i can find those songs on the internet. song called "maanguyile" is nice and one called "rakkamma" is playful, in the middle suddenly female crowd voices start singing, that is mesmerizing!

ananth222
13th August 2007, 10:42 PM
ok heres an attempt.
Movie Name: Kavikkuyil
Singer: Balamuralikrishna M
Music Director: Ilayaraja
Lyrics: Panju Arunachalam

Chinna kannan azhaikkiraan
Radhaiyai poonkothaiyai
aval manam konda ragasiya raagathai paadi
chinna kannan azhaikkiraan

The young Kannan calls out to the beautiful Radha
by singing the secret song that is close to her heart
the young Kannan calls out

Kanngal solgindra kavithai
ilam vayathil ethanai koadi
endrum kaathalai kondaadum kaaviyame
puthumai malarum inimai
antha mayakkathil inaivathu uravukku perumai

The youthful eyes speak a million poems
An epic that celebrates love everyday
A new sweetness blossoms,
and to join in that bliss is an honor

Nenjil ullaadum raagam
ithu thaana
kanmani radha
un punnagai sollaatha athisayama
azhage ilamai radhame
antha maayanin leelaiyil mayanguthu ulagam

Is this the song that plays in your heart, dear Radha?
Is there a wonder that your smile doesn't vanquish?
Oh beauty! Epitome of youth!
In that magician's hands this world plays.
---
So thats a fairly literal translation, with some free interpretation on my part. As someone already noted, its hard to appreciate these things without experiencing the relevant culture and history. Besides, there are other lovely songs with much more pertinent lyrics. Anyway, hope this helps.

Sanjeevi
13th August 2007, 11:16 PM
But the list that sanjeevi post earlier help me, i can find those songs on the internet. song called "maanguyile" is nice and one called "rakkamma" is playful, except in the middle suddenly female crowd voices start singing, that is mesmerizing!

Dear jamesashcroft,

Maanguyilae is the song of our soil (Tamilnadu in India). Ilaiyaraja is introduced this kind of song in our music industry with sugar coated orchestration and well made tunes. Even he can do such type of songs with an hour.

Rakkamma song was selected at No. 4 in world famous song poll conducted BBC. It is very highly successful song and set a new trend in entire Indian film music industry. Raja perfectly mixed a piece of song from ancient tamil literature which has nearly 3000+ years history. And what you mentioned as "femal crowd voices" is that piece of song.

jamesashcroft
14th August 2007, 02:53 AM
Rakkamma song was selected at No. 4 in world famous song poll conducted BBC. It is very highly successful song and set a new trend in entire Indian film music industry. Raja perfectly mixed a piece of song from ancient tamil literature which has nearly 3000+ years history. And what you mentioned as "femal crowd voices" is that piece of song.

wow, very interesting. it is a great contrast from the beginnings of the song. it sounds so captivating! no wonder..... and then at the end of song the two styles are combined...i wonder if you know more pieces which are in the style of this song within a song.

jamesashcroft
14th August 2007, 02:59 AM
Thanks so much, ananth222! yes i realize its always hard to appreciate lyrics from other places but one must start somewhere! also this song is not too confusing...i recognize names "krishan" and "radha' from world religion classes...i believe they are supposed to be story of heavenly love, but i am not sure.

But thank you for this translation. i appreciate it very much.

jamesashcroft
14th August 2007, 08:26 AM
Are there any concerts of such music in Toronto, Canada? there is large cultural community here after all

raja_fan
14th August 2007, 11:43 AM
Ananth222,

Good work really :clap:

Can try out your hand in more such translation works :)

thumburu
14th August 2007, 02:56 PM
hi ananth, good job. There is a poet inside you. :)

rajasaranam
14th August 2007, 03:08 PM
Ananth Kalakitteegna poanga :2thumbsup:

ananth222
14th August 2007, 10:21 PM
hehe, thanx raja_fan, thumburu and RS! :D

irir123
15th August 2007, 12:53 AM
jamesashcroft: check ur private messages inbox pls

natha1729
15th August 2007, 07:15 AM
i thought rakkama kayya thattu song had a fantastic intro, however the vocals relapses to a inspired violin ornamentation a la the famous "freak out" disco number. And, the beginning vocals is easily the worst of IR' song pallavi' ever, so contrived. only the interludes and the prelude took the vocals part out of mediocrity. this is my discovery.

indeed, IR is the emperor of instrumental music, but his vocals part of a composition usually suck, big time.

Chinna Kannan another crap pallavi like a limerick of nursery rhyme. again, the prelude and interludes fooled the public. Hey, Sankar Ganesh and KVM are the king of pure carnatic based songs.

sorry, about that. I am beginning to think that IR did not work on the vocals of most of his songs well enough.

ananth222
15th August 2007, 08:15 AM
lol :rotfl:
some people even complain that bananas have seeds!

raja_fan
15th August 2007, 08:34 AM
Hey, Sankar Ganesh and KVM are the king of pure carnatic based songs.

KVM avargalai idharkku mel yaarum avamaana paduttha mudiyaadhu ! Nalla velai, idhai ellaam ketpadharkku munnaal poi saerndhu vittaar..

Sanjeevi
15th August 2007, 10:22 AM
i thought rakkama kayya thattu song had a fantastic intro, however the vocals relapses to a inspired violin ornamentation a la the famous "freak out" disco number. And, the beginning vocals is easily the worst of IR' song pallavi' ever, so contrived. only the interludes and the prelude took the vocals part out of mediocrity. this is my discovery.

indeed, IR is the emperor of instrumental music, but his vocals part of a composition usually suck, big time.

Chinna Kannan another crap pallavi like a limerick of nursery rhyme. again, the prelude and interludes fooled the public. Hey, Sankar Ganesh and KVM are the king of pure carnatic based songs.

sorry, about that. I am beginning to think that IR did not work on the vocals of most of his songs well enough.

:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

keep giving fun dude

app_engine
16th August 2007, 06:28 AM
First I thought of trying my hand in translating a song...then decided to post "as it is" from the sub-titles of a DVD...

Selected this Raja classic - 'adi AththAdee' from kadalOrakkavidhaikaL...

There's a MP3 link on the web here:
http://music.cooltoad.com/music/song.php?id=275246

First let me post the Thamizh lyric as such:
அடி ஆத்தாடி....
அடி ஆத்தாடி, இள மனசொன்னு ரெக்க கட்டிப்பறக்குது சரி தானா?
அடி அம்மாடி ஒரு அல வந்து மனசுல அடிக்குது அது தானா?

உயிரோடு உறவாடும் ஒரு கோடி ஆனந்தம்...இவன் மேகம் ஆக யாரோ காரணம்...

அடி ஆத்தாடி...

மேல போகும் மேகம் எல்லாம் கட்டுப்பட்டு ஆடாதோ?
ஒண்ணப்பாத்து அலைகள் எல்லாம் மெட்டுக்கட்டிப்பாடாதோ?

இப்படி நான் ஆனதுல்ல...புத்தி மாறிப்போனதில்ல...
முன்னப்பின்ன நேர்ந்ததில்ல...மூக்கு நுனி வேர்த்ததில்ல...

கன்னிப்பொண்ணு கண்ணுக்குள்ள கத்திச்சண்ட கண்டாயோ?
படபடக்கும் நெஞ்சுக்குள்ள பட்டாம்பூச்சி பாத்தாயோ?
எச கேட்டாயோ?....

....லல லா... லலலல லலலல லா...லலலல லா...லலலல லா...லலலல லா...லலலலலலலலல....

தாகப்பட்ட நெஞ்சுக்குள்ள ஏகப்பட்ட சந்தோஷம்...
உண்ம சொல்லு பெண்ணே என்னை என்ன செய்ய உத்தேசம்?

வார்த்த ஒண்ணு வாய் வரைக்கும் வந்து வந்து போவதென்ன?
கட்டு மரம் பூப்பூக்க ஆசப்பட்டு ஆவதென்ன?

கட்டுத்தறிக்காள நானே கன்னுக்குட்டி ஆனேனே...
தொட்டுத்தொட்டு தென்றல் பேச தூக்கங்கெட்டுப்போனேனே...

சொல் பொன் மானே....

அடி ஆத்தாடி...

I can't post the "sub-titles" here as that will spoil the seriousness of this thread...

Please go here for the DVD version:
http://tfmpage.mayyam.com/hub/viewtopic.php?t=7049&start=1290
:-))

app_engine
16th August 2007, 06:45 AM
I think Bharathiraja himself would have tried doing the sub-title:-)) I had to hurriedly switch the sub-titles off and explain myself to my Detroit friend:-))

app_engine
16th August 2007, 06:51 AM
Now, poets like Anand can give it a try:-)

natha1729
23rd August 2007, 08:36 AM
Dudies, i am a little ahead in calling it a spade. soon, many will follow with their honest opinions. there are many great songs of raaja not got its worth.

again, rakkamma kayya thattu and chinna kannan azhaikkaran have the most underdeveloped pallavis, like a rose without enough petals or like a garland without roses and other flowers or say a garden without a coconut tree in the center or coconuts with no water. you know, the songs don't hold water, but crap.

thanks, dudes for bringing these two songs up in one breath of a thread, i mean a breadth of a thread that cannot hold water.
:---))

natha1729
23rd August 2007, 08:39 AM
:--)

:---))

no offense!!!

prashanth12
23rd August 2007, 09:16 PM
natha1729,

Your posts make no sense at all. You keep saying "this is the worst ever" or "this is awful" without any reason. Do you actually have a point? Or do you just like to hear yourself talk (type).

ananth222
24th August 2007, 11:44 AM
watch this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oQ1hhq4aS18

then listen to the original by Dr BMK
then decide if it is nursery rhyme.

prashanth12
24th August 2007, 11:20 PM
I just want to say that the youtube version you just posted is really awful.

ananth222
25th August 2007, 02:22 AM
Thats the point. If sung like that, its only a nursery rhyme. btw did you hear IR's comment to his son at the end?

ananth222
25th August 2007, 02:22 AM
Thats the point. If sung like that, its only a nursery rhyme. btw did you hear IR's comment to his son at the end?