PDA

View Full Version : Mushroom Cooking

baskaran.ramamurthy
11th September 2007, 08:42 AM
Fresh uncleaned mushrooms have a dirty mushy colour. How to get them white and clean before cooking.
Any clues to get over the nutty raw odour of mushrooms after cooking.
Does boiling/or roasting bring down the nutritional value of mushrooms
Baskaran

dev
11th September 2007, 08:57 AM
Fresh uncleaned mushrooms have a dirty mushy colour. How to get them white and clean before cooking.

:roll: generally, mushrooms can be cleaned by wiping using a kitchen tissue or using maida... I wipe using a tissue & wash it using water briefly... But I don't get wht u mean by dirty mushy colour!!!???.... mushrooms r generally whitish(though with some dirt on them) as long as they r fresh... If they are mushy or dirty brown coloured, I think it'll be a few days old...

baskaran.ramamurthy
11th September 2007, 12:09 PM
Thanks for your prompt response
I have refered to the black colour which some mushrroms have When the stems are removed
Baskaran

chevy
11th September 2007, 03:05 PM
mushrooms do hav tht blackish, "sorinjufied" looking thing on the inside.. are u talkin about that???

dev
11th September 2007, 03:18 PM
yeah... tht's the natural colour on the inside of the mushroom cap... u needn't remove it... :)

baskaran.ramamurthy
11th September 2007, 04:28 PM
Yes exactly the same. Do you have any clues to get over the natural nutty oddour of mushrooms after cooking
Thanks
Baskaran

chevy
11th September 2007, 06:57 PM
Yes exactly the same. Do you have any clues to get over the natural nutty oddour of mushrooms after cooking
Thanks
Baskaran mushrooms have odour? u talking about table mushrooms .. or button mushrooms right? there are over two thousand types of mushrooms..

annie.rp
12th September 2007, 01:30 AM
hi,
i usually clean mushrooms by putting them in warm(not hot) water with a squeeze of lemon in it for a few minutes and them wiping them dry. then i cut them and use for the recipe. usually use ginger garlic paste for recipes involving mushroom, so the smell of mushroom is not predominant. hope this helps
with regards
annie

azhagi
12th September 2007, 02:52 AM
Mushrooms should not be washed,you should only wipe it with a wet kitchen towel/tissue.Washing will make the mushroom very tough and leathery while cooking. This I got to know from the Food Network Channel and after following this advice,I feel they are right.

dev
12th September 2007, 07:15 AM
Thanks
Baskaran

:roll: I like mushroom for it flavour & texture... so never tried to get over its nutty flavour... but usage of spices generally masks the flavour of mushroom to some extent...:)

Lambretta
9th January 2008, 12:47 AM
I never care bout cleaning them........jus buy them as a pack, chop them & use them for my pizza (the only recipe for which Ive used them so far....but Ive been meaning to make mushroom curry for quite some time! :D)

pavalamani pragasam
9th January 2008, 08:29 AM
Good old days when mushroom cultivation was unknown we got fresh 'aval kaaLaan' from fields after a night's rain with lightning. Pinching off the muddy roots wash them thoroughly. Grind coconut with jeera, pepper & red chilli. Saute small onion cuttings in oil, add the coconut paste & mushroom. Cook in a pressure cooker. The gravy has a divine aroma & taste!!!

Kavitha Ravi
10th January 2008, 02:18 PM
[tscii]
Try this dish.
CRISPY FRIED MUSHROOMS

Ingredients:

500 grms oyster mushrooms, tear them into big pieces
100 grms self rising flour
60 grms rice flour
1 tbs corn flour
½ tsp pepper powder
½ tsp chillie powder
100 ml water
Salt to taste
Oil

Method:
Mix all the flours and the spices.
Add water and enough salt and mix to a batter.
The batter should be like idlli flour.
Add in the muchrooms and mix well.
Heat oil in a wok, when it is hot, add the
Mushrooms little by little and fry till crisp.
Drain on a paper and serve hot with chillie sauce.

http://img518.imageshack.us/img518/7371/friedmushroomssi1.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

NM
16th January 2008, 09:44 AM
Good old days when mushroom cultivation was unknown we got fresh 'aval kaaLaan' from fields after a night's rain with lightning. Pinching off the muddy roots wash them thoroughly. Grind coconut with jeera, pepper & red chilli. Saute small onion cuttings in oil, add the coconut paste & mushroom. Cook in a pressure cooker. The gravy has a divine aroma & taste!!!aiyooh, PP ma'am..............you have just remined me of the only 2 occasions i've eaten them and they are DIVINE!!!!! :slurp:

pavalamani pragasam
16th January 2008, 12:48 PM
:D

baskaran.ramamurthy
18th February 2008, 08:40 PM
Crispy mushrooms looks awesome . Amazing presentation .
Regards
Baskaran