PDA

View Full Version : DHONI new CAPTAIN - Dravid resigns

anoops
14th September 2007, 01:22 PM
Rahul Dravid has resigned as India captain with immediate effect. In a letter written to the Indian board, he has asked to be relieved of the captaincy before Australia's forthcoming tour of India, beginning later this month.

A statement from Niranjan Shah, secretary of the Indian board, said Dravid met Sharad Pawar, the board president, in New Delhi yesterday. He "expressed his desire to step down as captain of the Indian team and requested that he should not be considered for the job from the ensuing Australia series."

The statement said Dravid wanted to concentrate on his game.

Dravid, 33, has captained India in 25 Tests and 79 ODIs. He took over the captaincy from Sourav Ganguly two years ago, following India's tour of Zimbabwe.

Under his captaincy India won eight Tests, including series wins in Pakistan, West Indies, Bangladesh and England.

:bluejump: :redjump: :2thumbsup: :cool2: :victory: :ty: :musicsmile:

sgokulprathap
14th September 2007, 03:03 PM
:notworthy:

sgokulprathap
14th September 2007, 03:04 PM
who wil b d next Indian captain?
Dada?

anoops
14th September 2007, 03:10 PM
we never know :( they are announcing on the 18th - cud even be sachin :twisted: :oops: :oops: :oops: PLSS NOOO

I would love to see Dada back at the helm with Yuvi or Dhoni deputing him - or atleast a brave decision to put in a young captain. Good decision ATLAST by Dravid - but its ironical to be announced on the day of an important match of 20-20 :? :?

sgokulprathap
14th September 2007, 03:34 PM
Sachin hmself wont be interestd i think.

littlemaster1982
14th September 2007, 04:38 PM
Please don't make Ganguly as a captain again :|

Sanjeevi
14th September 2007, 04:39 PM
good decision

selvakumar
14th September 2007, 05:20 PM
:notthatway:
I feel that GANGULY is the one who can bring the team back to how they were.
young captain :huh: :roll:
Who ?

sgokulprathap
14th September 2007, 05:30 PM
:exactly:
evn wen he ws not in form with the bat, he captained the side well.
Dravid, u cn rebuild ur great wall now stronger than b4. :thumbsup:

sgokulprathap
14th September 2007, 05:31 PM
Please don't make Ganguly as a captain again :| who else is ther? :huh:
Sachin wont b interestd to captain the side.

littlemaster1982
14th September 2007, 06:44 PM
:exactly:
evn wen he ws not in form with the bat, he captained the side well.
Dravid, u cn rebuild ur great wall now stronger than b4. :thumbsup:

Ganguly is struggling with his batting. He is using his experience to a good measure to stay afloat. After his comeback, the innings of 98 vs WI was the only one where he played really well.

He is woefully short of confidence nowadays and I don't know how he will perform under the pressure of captaincy.

But I couldn't say who else can lead the current Indian side.

crajkumar_be
14th September 2007, 06:59 PM
Ganguly has done very well in tests of late, LM...
Even in this ODI he had a decent series...

bingleguy
14th September 2007, 07:16 PM
why this decision :roll: ?

littlemaster1982
14th September 2007, 07:27 PM
Ganguly has done very well in tests of late, LM...
Even in this ODI he had a decent series...

Of course, he played well in tests. In the ODI series also, he was decent, but I couldn't see the spark.

Well, let's see how it goes :)

bingleguy
14th September 2007, 07:32 PM
so whos gonna be his successor ????? Sachin ?????

is there anybody else ????

raaja_rasigan
14th September 2007, 07:48 PM
since there is no shewag...... it will be yuvaraj the captain or may be dhoni... if he wins the 20-20 cup

ajithfederer
14th September 2007, 08:27 PM
I am tired of seeing bastman as captains...

Make Zaheer the captain...... :P

Nerd
14th September 2007, 08:36 PM
BCCI pasangaLA, please don't make Yuvraj singh as the captain :shaking: My choice is Ganguly as well.

But Dravid, :bow:

bingleguy
14th September 2007, 08:39 PM

Kapil Dev maadiri oru All Rounder irundhaa dhaan better :-)

ThalaNass
14th September 2007, 08:39 PM
DADA all the way............................... :thumbsup:

Dhoni as a vice capt..

Ramakrishna
14th September 2007, 08:43 PM

y do u want the only decent bowler in India to be sacked? :evil:

bingleguy
14th September 2007, 08:46 PM

:rotfl:

ajithfederer
14th September 2007, 08:51 PM
:lol:

I find Zaheer to be aggressive and he has quite a bit experience in the ODI Circuit now.... :)

This captaincy thing has caused many a batsman (especially in india) to lose both thier confidence as well as thier batting form...

Lets go for a change.... Zaheer all the way 8-)

bingleguy
14th September 2007, 08:54 PM
Zaheer avarukku I Love U sonna ponna first kandu pudichaaraa ?

Ramakrishna
14th September 2007, 08:54 PM
Atleast for a Batsman, there are many other brilliant batsmen for backup, but in case of Bowlers? better let them make Agarkar the next captain :wink: :lol2:

I find Zaheer to be aggressive and he has quite a bit experience in the ODI Circuit now.... :)

This captaincy thing has caused many a batsman (especially in india) to lose both thier confidence as well as thier batting form...

sriranga
14th September 2007, 08:56 PM
i think bombay magic is at work in the BCCI. I guess sachin will be back as captain in the test matches, dhoni for the onedayers.

ajithfederer
14th September 2007, 08:59 PM
Backupping than paakuromae :lol2: Sachin out anaa line aa vanthiduranugaa..... Chasing la namma record sollavae venam :oops:
I am rooting for a change......The last thing we want is to make yuvraj or ganguly to lose form.... 8-)
Agarkar : bowler aa :shock: Ponga boss comedy pannatheengae :lol:

Atleast for a Batsman, there are many other brilliant batsmen for backup, but in case of Bowlers? better let them make Agarkar the next captain :wink: :lol2:

Ramakrishna
14th September 2007, 09:09 PM

oh appo avaru allrounder-aa :lol2:

bingleguy
14th September 2007, 09:41 PM
digr
1 wicket gone already .... India Pak match la :( Gambhir .....

Roshan
14th September 2007, 10:13 PM

:lol: Feddy, idha neenga entha style-la solluveengannu kaRpana paNNi pArthEn, I am unable to control my laughter :lol:

Sanguine Sridhar
14th September 2007, 11:28 PM

wow maams...even I thought of same, Jelly Bean Zaheer should be the correct option! :D

ajithfederer
15th September 2007, 01:41 AM
Roshan and sridar :notworthy:

Wibha
15th September 2007, 05:07 AM

:yes: :yes: :yes:

drvid thanks a lot :D good luck :thumbsup:

DADA should be the captain..............young ppl should first get some more practice and consistency b4 becoming captain..............so only sachu and dada left........sachu will say no to captaincy :redjump: so left is DADA :bluejump: only dada can take pressure......NO ONW CAN be like DADA........................dada u rock :thumbsup: pls become the captain :D

or yuvi :? he has the attitude and aggression a catain needs :D

Zaheer avarukku I Love U sonna ponna first kandu pudichaaraa ?

ean avanukku vendaadha velai :evil: modhalla cricket-la settle aagatam :twisted:

af and ram :rotfl: :rotfl:

anoops
16th September 2007, 02:36 PM
yes dada it has to be - but the news goin on is that its the politics to bring in sachin as the new captain :oops: :oops: and thts perhaps the reason to get him as the vice captain for the england tour!! if it has to be a senior player then it better be SG - mm 18th wud be the D-Day

sankara1970
16th September 2007, 03:22 PM
It is good that he resigned now after somewhat successful tour to England

Otherwise he will have take blame for loss against upcoming tours to Australia

Evalaluthan oruthanala thanga mudium

Kal adichu thanguma manasu

crajkumar_be
17th September 2007, 08:54 AM
It is good that he resigned now after somewhat successful tour to England

Otherwise he will have take blame for loss against upcoming tours to Australia

Evalaluthan oruthanala thanga mudium

Kal adichu thanguma manasu
No, Australian captain Ricky Ponting or U.S president George Bush will have to take the blame for India's losses :banghead:

Keep them coming Sankara, pinreenga :lol2: only you fossible :notworthy:

anoops
18th September 2007, 09:09 AM
CR, :rotfl: :rotfl:

anoops
18th September 2007, 02:08 PM
The Indian One-Day team is all set to get a new skipper in Mahendra Singh Dhoni.

Sources have confirmed to CNN-IBN that the decision to appoint Dhoni was taken after Sachin Tendulkar refused to captain the One-Day team.

The captaincy will be split with Tendulkar being given the job of leading the Test team and the Ranchi Rockstar will be captain of India in the One-Dayers.

Tendulkar is keen to captain the Test team, but is yet to make up his mind.

On Monday evening in Mumbai, a day before the announcement of the skipper, the Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI) officials looked pretty relaxed before taking one of the biggest decisions in Indian cricket in recent memory.

Former India skipper Dilip Vengsarkar will lead the selection panel to name the captain of India's One-Day team for the ODI home series versus Australia later on Tuesday and the BCCI President said the decision is for the Colonel and his team to make.

"It is the prerogative of the selection committee. They will decide and communicate us and then we will communicate to you," BCCI President Sharad Pawar said.

Pawar is tightlipped but sources within the BCCI suggest that Dhoni is all set to get the nod and his possible elevation gets the thumbs up from a man who made these decisions till recently.

"MS Dhoni has done very well. He is great team man and has got a fantastic brain. So he is the future captain who can lead the Indian team for the next World Cup," former India stumper and ex-chairman of the selection committee Kiran More said.

But Dhoni won't get the job full time just yet as Tendulkar will be asked to lead the Test team but that decision can wait as India don't play a Test till November,

The selectors may also discuss the long-term succession plan and the words of their outgoing captain will ring in their mind.

In an interview to PTI on Monday, former Test and One-Day skipper Rahul Dravid said, "I was not enjoying captaincy of the Indian team. Captaincy takes a lot out of you. I began considering stepping down as Indian captain towards the end of the ODI series against England. There is a shelf life to captaincy in India in which you can give it your best. May be the shelf life are becoming shorter as time goes by."

So it does appear that the selectors have chosen to stay away from going back to previous skippers. Tendulkar and Sourav Ganguly were being spoken off as dark horses but it seems that now that the One-Day team will have a fresh new face at the top.

CNN-IBN has also learnt that left-arm pacer Irfan Pathan will be back in the One-Day team. For the first three matches of the series against Australia that starts later this month, Pathan will be back for the first time since the World Cup in the West Indies.

Munaf Patel and Ajit Agarkar will be dropped as the squad is being reduced to 14 from the 15 that went to England.

There might be a toss up between Harbhajan Singh and Ramesh Powar for the spinner's place and for now the Mumbai bowler seems to have the edge.

littlemaster1982
18th September 2007, 02:25 PM
Good that Sachin refused the captaincy :D

anoops
19th September 2007, 02:18 PM
not sure if it was offered to him in the first place as per vengsarkar - yeah, if done, good that he refused it!

littlemaster1982
23rd September 2007, 12:16 PM
What the hell is this :x

http://www.cricketnext.com/news/yuvraj-unhappy-about-captaincy/27060-13.html

Journalism at its worst :hammer: :curse:

anoops
24th September 2007, 08:04 AM
What the hell is this :x

http://www.cricketnext.com/news/yuvraj-unhappy-about-captaincy/27060-13.html

Journalism at its worst :hammer: :curse: :banghead: i felt it was utterly distasteful of his father to give such an interview :twisted: :twisted:
but to link that yuvi staying out of indian team for SA clash is stupid journalism - and even if he did that he would have known india can win without him too :lol: :lol: