PDA

View Full Version : IR New Albums - Old responses (5 Aug 2006)

Pages : 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 9

thops
20th May 2005, 10:34 AM
(breaking the post so that the URL gets linked)
<digression>
Singer Chinmayee's comments on Ilayaraaja's Italy concert on her blog...
http://chinmayisripada.blogspot.com/2005/05/some-comments-i-have-to-reply-to.html
</digresson>

sureshmehcnit
20th May 2005, 05:55 PM
Here is a harsh review on the album

http://www.mouthshut.com/review/Adhu_Oru_Kana_Kaalam_Album-74825-1.html

Smile
Sureshkumar

gopiharan
20th May 2005, 06:54 PM
ithe commenta konjam rendu varila naanga sonna mattum thituveenga...
aaana intha mathiri oru web pagela reviewa sonna ethupeenga..... :P :P

yaaro konja nerathukku minnadi sonna mathiri
kali muthiduchi.... :roll: :roll:

NormalMan
20th May 2005, 08:41 PM
gopiharan --> None have accepted the web page review. I just don't understand why you are taking a mock on Suresh's views. If your views are logical, it will be accepeted.

"Logic, like whiskey, loses its beneficial effect when taken in too large quantities."

rajasaranam
20th May 2005, 08:57 PM
A Positive Review :)

http://www.mouthshut.com/review/Adhu_Oru_Kana_Kaalam_Album-74556-1.html

njv
20th May 2005, 09:40 PM
I agree with Suresh. Songs are good, but IR-Balu has set high expectation that they didnt break. Like Suresh mentioned, I am looking for the next IR-Fazil music.

prabhudas
21st May 2005, 08:06 AM
Small digression,
Thops, thanks for the link to Chinmayi's blogspot,
( eppadi pidicheenga, BTW what happened to your blogs on the Tamil seinfeld pilot any plans to continue? :lol2: )
nice write up and nice blogspot by Chinmayi. I don't know how many of the talented celebrities have their own blogspot, I think she is the first one I see as a known singer sharing her views about her related field and personal interests. I feel blogspots by celebrities would be a revolution in the way media shares the personal interests and views from a celebrirties perspective. I wish more and more celebrities share their views and interests with fans and other common people with common interest, because I feel this format is purely unbiased, non gossip oriented, not artificially initiated or made up expression/views coming spontaneously from them compared to the conventional media's interviews, snippets cooked up stories and what not. Imagine if IR , ARR have their own blogspots totally uninhibited ( what makes their inspirations for their enormous creative outputs etc.. etc.), ya.. only in my dream...

End digression

Prabhudas

vem
21st May 2005, 05:58 PM
AOK is a major disappointment.

The only reason being lack of freshness. One can easily point out RD Burman's Hindi tunes because of their western stylishness. They were also amazingly catchy....

Similarly i find it incredibly easy to identify the recent tunes (not because of the melody nature, but because of the same IR Trash nature)......

The stanzas are absolutely predictable and the tunes look jarring sometimes.....

ME, AOK, PonMegalai and Karagattakari have been major disappointments for IR in 2005. I think he can retire after the Fazil movie.

Completely bored with IR.

njv
21st May 2005, 08:47 PM
if you are bored, your ears will be pleased by VS, YSR, KR, ARR, HJ and others
- for they can compose music with 3 notes
- for they can compose music that will energize your body and mind
- for they willl compose music to keep you focused on what you do and still enjoy the song
- for they will compose music that fits to the movie and doesnt sound like a pop album or a remix album
- for they will score songs but "outsource" BGM to others, just because they dont have the skill and blame it on their busy schedule

please dont suggest that he retire, the feeling I get is like the feeling you will get if I ask you to retire from what you are doing, please dont do that. you do have other choice and so enjoy!!!

Dragun
22nd May 2005, 01:22 AM
"- for they will score songs but "outsource" BGM to others, just because they dont have the skill and blame it on their busy schedule"

Listen to the BGM of Dil Se, Lagaan, Swades, Alai Payuthey, Kannathil Muthamittal, etc. and tell me ARR doesn't have the skill for it.

baroque
22nd May 2005, 03:49 AM
This thread is about IR's new albums.

NormalMan
22nd May 2005, 10:49 AM
http://www.ajithfans.com

Read the news from the above site that Naan Kadavul by Bala is starting in June and IR is the MD. Is this confirmed?

njv
22nd May 2005, 06:33 PM
Yes normal man, unless God Father, which is stoped now, get life again and ask Bala to postpone the movie.

Is this the first movie IR is scoring for Ajith?

MumbaiRamki
22nd May 2005, 06:39 PM
NO Thodarum is the first movie ...then u had another movie starring Vijay ,AJith ( forgot the name ..has 2 good songs oru sudar ,ival yaaro)

buggle
22nd May 2005, 10:31 PM
that movie is rajaavin paarvaiyilae

sudhakarg
23rd May 2005, 02:20 PM
To me, AOK sounded to be a very good effort of IR. The last 30/40 seconds of "andhanaaL gnabagam" was simply brilliant. It was nothing but pure symphony. IR fans who missed the end because the song sounded another run of the mill IR number, please listen to it again.

"kaattu vazhi" tune was typically IRish, but the instruments were FRESH, and I'm completely hooked onto it. The other songs seemed like situation songs. When I first heard Virumandi songs, it sounded ordinary, but it had such a wonderful effect when seen with the movie. Let me hope, its the same case here.

app_engine
24th May 2005, 02:46 AM
http://www.dailythanthi.com/article.asp?NewsID=185453&disdate=5/23/2005&advt=2

another film with IR...

venkiks
24th May 2005, 08:17 AM
Thanks app_engine. I'm kind of not expecting much from a TB comedy film.
I'm yet to get out of the hook from Kaatu Vazhi Kaal Nadia from AOKK.

tmrrmt
24th May 2005, 10:26 AM
Thalaivars movie Nayakan in top 100 Movies list of
Times:

http://us.rediff.com/movies/2005/may/23time.htm

Time magazine's just-announced list of the 100 best
films in motion picture history can be called a safe
bet, but throws up a few interesting and quirky
suprises.

The list, compiled by Time's movie critics Richard
Corliss and Richard Schickel, contains the usual
American classics -- The Godfather, ET, It's A
Wonderful Life, Pulp Fiction -- but also includes some
eclectic and curious choices, making for quite a
well-compiled selection.

Any list of directors would be complete minus the
immortals, and here too is present the inevitable
lineup of gods -- Federico Fellini (8 1/2), Akira
Kurosawa (Yojimbo), Francois Truffaut (The 400 Blows),
Satyajit Ray (his Apu trilogy -- Pather Panchali, Apur
Sansar and Aparajito), Stanley Kubrick (Dr Strangelove
Or How I Learned To Stop Worrying And Love The Bomb)
and Alfred Hitchcock (Psycho).

Besides Ray's three celluloid masterpieces, the list
touches on a couple of other Indian films, treating
the varied genres with decided reverence -- Guru
Dutt's 1957 masterpiece, Pyaasa; and Mani Ratnam's
brilliantly crafted Godfather-istic 1987 film,
Nayakan.

The two critics spring a few surprises. Comedy genius
Woody Allen makes the cut, obviously, but not in the
expected manner. Instead of his most-acclaimed Annie
Hall, the Time scribes picked his delightful 1985
film, The Purple Rose Of Cairo.

Similarly, the list admits such shocking choices like
David Cronenberg's 1986 hit, The Fly. Picked by
Corliss, this selection evidently disgusted Schickel,
and Corliss' defence of the graphic Jeff Goldblum film
is very amusing indeed.

NagaS
24th May 2005, 10:44 AM
IR is the MD for Thangar Bachchaan's next movie ...

NagaS

NagaS
24th May 2005, 04:20 PM
http://tamil.cinesouth.com/masala/hotnews/new/24052005-2.shtml

Sanjeevi
25th May 2005, 11:44 PM
Listening AOKK songs...

Antha Naal, Kattu Vazhi, Kili Thattu are simply superb. Rest are not IR's standard.

app_engine
26th May 2005, 01:28 AM
The ending of andha nAL gnyAbakam is really very soothing...

teja
26th May 2005, 12:21 PM
Adhu Oru Kanaa Kaalam
Antha naal is mellifluous and soothing - pick of the album.
Kaatru vazi is rich, dark and earthy. Three cheers to Maestro.
Kili thattu - good song but for Bhavatarini's voice and that flute(?) pieces in the second interlude. It sounds very artificial and cheap. Maestro used that instrument extensively in Azagi. Speaking of which, this song (charanam) sounds like 'paattu cholli' from that film.
Unnalae Thookam - Disappointed to see Malati in Maestro's album.
"Ennada Ninaicha" is a pure disgrace.

NagaS
27th May 2005, 11:56 AM
IR's speech in Jayakanthan paaraattu vizha :

http://pksivakumar.blogspot.com/2005/05/blog-post_111715106629424142.html

NagaS

NagaS
27th May 2005, 01:14 PM
IR's speech in Jayakanthan paaraattu vizha :

http://pksivakumar.blogspot.com/2005/05/blog-post_111715106629424142.html

NagaS

Sorry, forgot to add this note about the video ...

Eventho' its an ilakkiya meeting, IR speaks in detail about his childhood, how he learnt to play harmonium (even in sleep ;)), communist songs they used to sing / play in conerts ... its a plain and simple soRpozhivu - a delightful 30 minutes I would say :) Don't miss it !

NagaS

app_engine
27th May 2005, 11:40 PM
andha nAL gnyAbagam ....I'm listening to this continuously today in the workplace...a number of times non-stop(on headphone)...love this song!

This had so much `original' ingradients of Raja that make it so much lovable...especially the soft sounds...and the accompanied strings...excellent female voice combined with a sodhappal male voice (remember `EdhO mOham'?)...first interlude that flows with the pallavi, but a distinctly different second interlude which means a scene change on-screen (probably played at a different time itself in the story line)...repeat of same line by both singers where the second one contributes an extra `this thing' (`kEtkudhE kEtkudhE...kovil ponmaNi...y..OsaigaL' is so sweet when the female voice repeats the ponmaNiyOsaigaL) and the ending with beautiful counterpoints that reach a crescendo when ending(is crescendo the musically correct term for the end of strings?)...

Got to grab the CD...will look for this when I go to `Indian store' next time...Is it available in Chicago (driving to Devan on Memorial day...)

app_engine
27th May 2005, 11:49 PM
If BM attempts to remake some decent western film, with crisp screen play (avoiding the `ponmEni' kind of scenes altogether), at least three songs should get reasonable recognition among the masses...(andha nAL, kiLithattu & kAttu vazhi or onnAla thookkam)...Let's see...

app_engine
28th May 2005, 12:50 AM
The mild `echo' effect too gives a good ambience for this song...

njv
28th May 2005, 04:08 AM
app_engine, I bought mine from NJ, so it should be available. If not you can buy online.

tmrrmt
28th May 2005, 11:00 AM
Digression: where can i download Hey Ram - both Hindi and Tamil MP3s and the BGM tracks

Vkrish
28th May 2005, 11:55 AM
Happened to hear a song ' Oru Chiri Kandal' from the film
Ponmudi Puzhayorathu. Absolutely stunning tune and Interludes.
The singers have rendered it beautifully.... Vijay Yesudas voice is nice here... A must listen.

I wonder why IR is not re-utilizing such tunes / tracks in Tamil Albums ???

http://www.raaga.com/channels/malayalam/movie/m0000911/ponmudi-puzhayorathu.htm

kavin
30th May 2005, 05:25 AM
Ilaiyaraaja's Music Journey. A live Concert in Italy

17 Performers. 4 percussionists. 5 Strings. Flute. ? Swarlin. 6 Voice includes IR with his Harmonium.

I used to wonder, how some of my favourites would sound if they were rescored and performed. Well, that wish is fulfilled in this album.

It will be a treat to watch the second half of this concert. Though, 'MUSIC JOURNEY (LULLABY and GAMES of TAMILNADU)' sets the tone in the first half itself. Ambassador for Tamil Folk.

Watch out for the applause at the end of 'VEETUKKU'. It never seems to end. Close to 2 minutes. I wish I was there.

'Thumbi Vaa' makes me wonder what would happen if many of his gems were rescored for 20-70 piece orchestra. Maybe one day!!!!!

'ASAIYA KATHULA' is a treat.

NormalMan
30th May 2005, 11:56 AM
http://raaga.com/channels/tamil/top10.asp

thops
30th May 2005, 07:00 PM
For the impatient...

http://www.rermegacorp.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=RM&Product_Code=IDA021&Category_Code=CU

app_engine
1st June 2005, 08:02 PM
[tscii:fea3f52446]http://www.dailythanthi.com/cn/cn_home.asp?newsres=2&issuedate=5/31/2005&secid=1#R–²ÜÙR¨jf¥%20RVÖWÖf\‰%20-%20Ù^š%20BLÖÐ%20Ü%20NRÖ%20Szeh•%20AZLÖ

IR MD for `kasthuri mAn' (maLayALam movie's remake by Logithadas himself)...[/tscii:fea3f52446]

app_engine
1st June 2005, 08:03 PM
Oops..no link...please copy & paste the address to your browser...

isaivirumbi
2nd June 2005, 03:07 AM
oru chiri kandaal from ponmudipuzhayorathu is indeed stunning. I have been listening to this song for the past 2 months and never gets tired of it. even my 3 year old son always wants to listen to it.

Happened to hear a song ' Oru Chiri Kandal' from the film
Ponmudi Puzhayorathu. Absolutely stunning tune and Interludes.
The singers have rendered it beautifully.... Vijay Yesudas voice is nice here... A must listen.

I wonder why IR is not re-utilizing such tunes / tracks in Tamil Albums ???

http://www.raaga.com/channels/malayalam/movie/m0000911/ponmudi-puzhayorathu.htm

natha1729
2nd June 2005, 05:38 AM
http://www.raaga.com/channels/malayalam/movie/m0000914/achuvinte-amma.htm

Swasathin Thaalam is great. :o

anyone heard this below song? i think India' answer to the all time classic by Berlin "You Take My Breath Away" :arrow:

http://www.raaga.com/channels/malayalam/movie/m0000197/ennodishtam-koodamo.htm

Hey Nilakili - SJanaki version (composer SP Venkatesh :shock: - classy no.) 8)
:roll:

crvenky
2nd June 2005, 12:20 PM
Dear friends,

Today we are celebrating Maestro Ilaiyaraaja's
birthday.

I take this opportunity to pray to God to bless our
Raja with a happy and long life. May we enjoy his
nectar of music for long time to come.

As a tribute to Him, shall we hear BGM from his latest
Mumbai Express? Its scored for the famous crane
scene, where Kamal tries to save Pasupathy and
kidnapped kid. Please download it from the link below
and enjoy.

Regular link (for all web browsers):
http://s32.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=125WZL4GWZ69T34JI442O42OMA

For Maestro's BGMs, pls join my group:
www.groups.yahoo.com/groups/maestromagic

Lovingly,

Venkatesh

sudhakarg
3rd June 2005, 05:01 AM
nathA, thanks for posting the link for "Ori chiri kandAl". Its indeed a wonderful song..

BTW, it somehow reminded me of "kaathal kavithaigaL pirandhidum nEram" from Gopura VaasalilE. Did anyone feel the same? Is it just that the "arrangement" for the 2 songs is similar?

arunprakashhh
3rd June 2005, 05:18 AM
dear sudhakarg, both the songs are based on maya malava gowlai raagam.thats all.

Vkrish
3rd June 2005, 06:47 PM
'Oru Chiri Kandal' - the Song has typical IR stamp throughout. it also has shades of 'oru kootil' from the unfamiliar number sung by chitra from the film 'Gokulam'.

sseshadri75
3rd June 2005, 10:33 PM
Both the numbers "Oru chiri kandaal" and "swaasathin thaalam" are amazing!!Great numbers from IR, wonder why he is depriving TFM fans of such great numbers!! konjam karunai kattu thalaivaa!

Oru Chiri kandaal shows shades of a TFM number "En idayam muzhuthum" from Illayavan.

the pallavi of swaasthin thaalam bears resemblance to some TFM number I can't name as it sounds very familiar and the charanam has WCM so beautifully intervowen in it!!

Are these some Malayalam movies for which IR scored music in the 90s-2000s?Can someone point me to good numbers in these movies?
Kochu Kochu Santhoshangal
Guru
Kaliyoonjal
Kallukondru Pennu
Man of the Match
Manssinakkare
Manjeerdhwani
Olangal
Pappayude Swantham Appoos
Ponmudipuzhayorathu
Poomukhappadyil Ninneum Kaathu
Twinkle Twinkle Little star
yaatra
yaatra mozhi
achuvnite amma
ponmudi puzhayaurthu
Friends/Geethanjali/Kaalapaani (have the tamil version)

app_engine
4th June 2005, 12:31 AM
ss75,
most of the movies listed by you have IR as MD, but they are from a wider time period...some dating back to 80's (probably even 70's)...for example OLangaL could be late 70's or early 80's (with that memorable `thumbi vA' song) and yAthrA (yamunE ninnude nenjil...playing everywhere in 86 when I started in a job at Palakkad) is another Balu Mahendra movie is also old...

app_engine
4th June 2005, 12:41 AM
Friends Tamil version has totally different set of songs (which I heard only recently)...I liked the Malayalam version better...

Geethanjali is dubbed from Telugu Geethanjali by Maniratnam(which also had a Tamil dubbed version, idhaiyathai thirudAdhE) and had the same set of songs...

kAlApAni, I think was made simultaneously in Malayalam & Hindi (by Priyadharshan / Mohanlal combo) and probably got dubbed into Tamil as siRaichAlai (and hence had the same set of songs)

app_engine
4th June 2005, 01:32 AM
Of all these movies, I rate Guru as probably the best...(most DF'ers think so too)...However, songs from certain other movies were much more successful commercially and popular...one song which was immensely popular was from pappayude swantham appoos (olaththumba by SJ)...so much popular that it was the opening line of a manorama article on IR...and the I read somewhere that that song manifested itself in multiple versions in other languages...

mArikkoottinuLLil from kAlApAni was a big hit too...playing everywhere when it got released...

Sanjeevi
5th June 2005, 02:16 PM
:P

The Most awaiting album of the year 2005

with IR + Fazil combo

Oru Naal Oru Kanavu
is releasing tomorrow

Enjoy with music

8) :D :)

rajasaranam
5th June 2005, 02:47 PM
tamilnapster has done it again. They released the 'Oru Naal Oru Kanavu' over net.
Dont know how they do it. but enjoy the songs and buy original CD's dear all.
Right now downloading. will get back after listening :)
http://www.tamilnapster.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=76&st=0&#entry444

arunprakashhh
5th June 2005, 05:15 PM
can any one say how many films raaja has done so far? if it is an accurate figure it will be nice.thanks a lot

arunprakashhh
5th June 2005, 05:19 PM
heard a old song of raaja sung by vani jairam which starts like ''ethetho kanavu kandeno manam pol''. the tune is just similar to ''kanna vaa kavithai solven vaa thalaiva'' sung by s.janaki in the film maragatha veenai.can any one say which film is the song sung by vani jairam?

12bums
5th June 2005, 08:58 PM
For Oru Naal Oru Kanavu - On initial listening, i needed only 1 song to remind me how peerless IR is - Listen to Kaatril Varum Geethame . Watch for the instrumental progression. Awesome.

teja
5th June 2005, 09:15 PM
Sonu nigam gets 3 out of 6 songs. Why and how?
His presence in MX was understandable - it's a bilingual.
Hope Udit Narayan in not next in the line!

My picks after one hearing:
Katril Varum [Bhavatarini, Sadhana Sargam, Shreya Ghosal, IR, Hariharan] - very soothing.
Konjum thira [Shreya Ghosal, Sonu nigam] - melodious, in parts.

sseshadri75
5th June 2005, 09:26 PM
Just listening to Oru Naal Oru Kanavu songs
Illaimmukku or vegam: very fast paced number sung by Sonu Nigam. (sounds very YSRish)
Enna Paatu: starts off slowly but a fast paced number sung by Sonu Nigam. (with some karpaana swaram and veenai interludes towards the end of 2nd charanam).

Sonu for a change sounds better than Udit who kills the lyrics!

Kaatril Varum: Absolutely stunning classical number rendered by Bhavatarini. Towards the 2nd charanam, IR sings with Hariharan.

More updates to come...

gopiharan
6th June 2005, 02:15 PM
how 2 download songs from this site guys?? no link anywhere to download after the fast reply??? :?:

krish244
6th June 2005, 04:35 PM
Rajasaranam, thanks for the link!

Kaatril Varum: I am very glad that this happened to be first on my list. Very pleasant start to the song. Well started by Bhavatharini and with minimal instruments (tabla, flowing flute bits with minimal synth stuff). Guess this is something of a isai kudumbam song. Interludes are short and soothing (probably all of synth). Shreya joins Bhava in the first charanam and she sounds too good. Second interlude is again a short one but a very soothing flute. Shreya starts the second charanam and is joined by Hariharan & Sadhana Sargam. IR joins after the end of 2nd charanam and sings pallavi with Hariharan. An excellent song.

Khajiraho: After hearing the beginning of this song it brought back me to the current IR's trend of music, still I felt interludes were longer (in comparisons with his recent short interludes), better and suited the type of situation. Guitar accompanies the beginning of this song with some humming by Shreya aswell. Second interludes sees more of Guitar (is that Guitar passage in 1st interlude aswell or synth?). Check it out. Charanam & interludes make this song a better song. Shreya and Hariharan has sung this song.

Enna Paattu: Beginning tune is pretty catchy but I did not find the drums along with rythm pattern that catchy or foot tapping. First interlude is ok with full synth stuff. Second interlude sounds better and more catchy (probably has some real trumpets...i might be wrong). A situational song...should sound better in the movie. Sonu nigam has done a decent job.

Ilamaikku: The prelude is pretty decent but is spoilt by synth stuff. Just imagine if it was done with real drums, piano, trumpets, etc, it would have elated the song to a much higher level. I could not stop myself from thinking how the song "Oru Maina..." (Uzhaippali) begins (although it too has little synth stuff) or take any other old IR song. Neverthless, the rythm that follows with drum beats is pretty good with guitar interspersed with Sonu singing the fast paced pallavi. The fast paced rythm pattern is maintained through out the song which is good. First interlude could have been better if some real drums, piano, trumpets were used. Charanam tune sounds better and is fast paced again. 2nd interlude sounds better. Sonu has really sung the song well. Although a very fast song, his tamil pronounciation has come out very well (albeit very very few places). Charanam, rythm pattern & Sonu's singing make this song decent.

Konjam Thira: Tune is decent but somehow "Thavikkiren Thavikkiren" (from TIME) came to my mind, I dont know why. Interludes could have been better. Better interludes would have inspired me to write more about this song. Shreya & Sonu has done a decent job.

My pick is Kaatril, Konjam Thira & Ilamaikku. As 12bums say, Kaatril is enough to make us be proud of IR. Just amazing song!

Teja, there is nothing wrong in using Sonu (or any NI singers) as long as they dont murder the language. If you see Sonu has really done a pretty decent job in pronounciation department (even in the fast paced Ilamaikku). Sonu must have impressed IR with his performance in Mumbai Xpress and probably thats the reason he gets more songs and I feel he may become more regular for IR. Lets see. Sonu is a very good singer and has his own style. I dont know how many songs he has sung in Tamil after "Vaarayo thozhi".

IR has already used Udit in some dubbed hindi movies and also in the remake of KASI in kannada (for one song). As long as Udit continues to kill tamil, I feel he may not get a chance to sing under IR for a tamil movie.

thanks,

Krishnan

teja
6th June 2005, 08:21 PM
Krish,
I am not against NI singers either.
True, Sonu's pronounciation is much better than his other NI counterparts.
It's his voice - IMO, it just doesn't suite tamil songs. He's fine at a low pitch but sounds very strained at high pitch and over-zealous most of the time.
Eg: Listen to fag end of Konjum Thira's charanam.
Shreya is effortless, but Sonu... hmm!!
You might not agree with me.. but again, opinions differ.

Back to the topic - I just love "Konjum Thira". Look at the way IR uses silence - the brief pause between first interlude and charanam and the way charanam picks up... wow Mesmerizing!.

vem
6th June 2005, 08:25 PM
Thiruvasagam getting released on 30th June

http://www.hinduonnet.com/thehindu/holnus/009200506061802.htm

prabhudas
6th June 2005, 08:48 PM
Yet to listen, but can some one who listened to "ONOK" already, is it comparable to " V 16 , KM or Kannukkul Nilavu songs of IR-Fazil combo, their last combo, kannukkul Nilavu was one of the best IMHO if ONOK is as good as that, I can celebrate even without listening to ONOK for few days

Prabhudas

inetk
6th June 2005, 08:56 PM
I wouldnt go to the extent of comparing Varusham 16 with ONOK, but I'd certainly rate it on par, if not better than KM or KN, the other Fazil-IR combos. There's a certain modernism that has seeped into IR's compositions these days - I might be referring to the predominant use of synthesizers, something that sounds fabulous in Karthikraja's music, but not necessarily in IRs, simply cos thats not his style. V16 had that clear, unadultrated, unsynth sound thats hard to match these days. Something IR repeated with 'Endu paranjalum' in Achuvinte Amma recently. The same movie had a synthesized sound in 'Shwasathin thaalam' but it did sound good nevertheless.

Strange that other synth regulars like ARR and HJ have stopped using it so obviously, but IR seems to be still holding on to that sound.

But dont worry. The tunes in ONOK are perfectly in place and that would hold it in very good stead. If only Fazil's script is decent, we should have another good hit from this combo, after all the movie's success does play a key part in popularizing the songs.

Karthik
www.itwofs.com

inetk
6th June 2005, 09:21 PM
Just to add on to my above post, I personally noticed this dominant synth sound in Nandhavana Theru, while I was expecting some simpler arrangement like the previous RV Udhayakumar-IR combos like Kizhakku Vaasal. I have seen IR hold on to that kind of sound ever since. Even ONOK's 'Ilamaikku' sounds like 'Adichu Pudichu' from Nandhavana Theru, but sounds much better because of a better tune, IMO.

Karthik
www.itwofs.com

MumbaiRamki
6th June 2005, 09:30 PM
Karthik ,
I liked Adichu Pudichu song too ...
Regarding the songs ,iam liking all the songs ....I bet on repeated hearings ,songs are going to be cool :)

I do find sonu Nigam's prononunciation good but his accent is bit disturbing at high pitches ...

I think issue on SYnthetic sounds - with better sound engineering ,they can be made look good ....The one song which irriated me abit was highwaysile song from manasellam ..

ARR ,HJ stopped using synth -I thought Anniyan ,New had alot of synth stuff :)

MumbaiRamki
6th June 2005, 09:52 PM
Teja ,
Did u note that the Kjraho song sounds similar to KOmmalo Kokila From NN ,similar beat pattern and similar tune ( only for pallavi ) ?

inetk
6th June 2005, 09:58 PM
Oh I like adichu pudichu too! Just that, the kind of synth sound is becoming all too common in IR songs. Something that was not the case previously. His orchestral simplicity probably highlighted the sheer beauty of the tune earlier, best witnessed in many Bharathiraja movies.

ARR/ HJ's synth usage is a lot more subtle in my opinion and very different from that of IR's usage. Most recent IR tracks like those in AOKK have that all pervasive, eerie synth backdrop thats getting monotonous.

Even in a beautiful number like 'ennai thaalaatta varuvaayo' there was ample synth in the interludes, but it was better blended with the tune. There's a particular stamp that has now become IR's style contrary to his style that defined nativity...in the early 90s it was the use of Arunmozhi with synth, these days its just synth :-)

But where its better blended with a well laid out tune, as in ONOK, the results are very pleasing. ONOK is a welcome addition to IR's repertoire!

Karthik
www.itwofs.com

MumbaiRamki
6th June 2005, 10:05 PM
Ponnuku Mapillai song ...Iam some how reminded of the song " Yenga oru kadhala pathi enna ninaikira' song from soem rama rajan movie !

rooky
6th June 2005, 11:43 PM
One of the best of Rajas' recent albums.
Kajiraho, Konjam thira and kaatril varum are nothing less than excellent

teja
6th June 2005, 11:57 PM
Teja ,
Did u note that the Kjraho song sounds similar to KOmmalo Kokila From NN ,similar beat pattern and similar tune ( only for pallavi ) ?

Right, kind of similar.
Also, the instrumental piece in the first few seconds resembles "Idhayamae Idhayamae" from July Ganapathy.

Sanjeevi
7th June 2005, 12:03 AM
Need more reviews :)

njv
7th June 2005, 01:22 AM
I listened to it once. I find some similarities with previous Raja songs, but added with synth sound and extended interludes. Will post my review tonight again!

MumbaiRamki
7th June 2005, 01:28 AM
For reviewing one needs a bit of musical knowledge and listening to it multiple times ..Otherwise it is just a crap or ego brewing activity ...However if u are intrested in how the feel of the songs ..here it is

BY 'feel' i mean ,the mood of the song with orchestration resembles that song -not necessarly an inspiration or a resemblance.

1.Elamikku -Sonu Nigam As Teja has said it 'sounds' like Adichu Pidichu song .the mood of the song is bit similar to hero introduction song who sings about life in general .The highlight of the song is charanam and the second interlude -Absolute ecstasy .The charanam is in the mood of Mohan's stage songs or u can imagine 'Naan Kannum Ulankangal ' from kasi charanam with techno beats .

2.Enna Paatu -Sonu Nigam
This song is about music -Imagine a hero singing this song to an arrogant heroine .U can imagine this song as like 'chinna chinna kuilae ' from manasellam with synth beats and with a bit more pace.Again iam very much impressed with charanam and the second interlude -the mood is again 80s with mild synth beats .Wonder who is the lyricsts- Mu ,Mehta /Muthulingam ??

3.Katril Varum -Bhavatharni ,Sadhana Sargam ,Shreya ,Hariharan ,Raaja sir
As everybody says it is a classical piece -a soothing piece.The feel of the song can be compared to 'Sollayo Vai thiranthu' from MogaMuL.Its a sung on Lord Krishna - or probably the heroine sings it othinking of the hero .The feel of the song is a clasical piece sung by a family or in some function . The way in which charanam ends is just beautiful .Hariharan ,Sadhana ,Shreya join in the charanam .A big winner is this song .

4.Kharajo -Hariharan ,Shreya
As i have mentioned the feel of the song is Kommalo Kokila song .A typical hariharan type of melody .You can also get the feel of Roja Poo Punthottam song,esp the interludes ( of spanish guitar ?) .Again amazing charanam .

5.Konjam Thira - Sonu ,Shreya
Three Shreya ,Three sonu Nigam songs ..Good choice for this song atleast ..Shreya has never let us down in any raaja song .This song can also be considered in that way .Iam not able to exactly describe how the feel of the song -Again great charanam ,esp towards the end with the violin harmony .Probably it can remotely have the feel of 'thavikiren' song from Time .

6.PonnukItta Mapillai -Tippu ,Manchari
Manchari is the singer who sang Swasthin Thaalam song .This is a 'Marriage ' song ,but of teasing song .Nice song .Folkish a bit .This song can be compared to a song ' Mudichu vecha' from IR -KR album kadhalai Gauravikum Neram .The second charanam change tracks to melody.

To SUmmarize, in my opinion ,Raaja has 3 sure shot hits ,2 nice song ,1 listenable song .Only downside ,sonu nigam sometimes sounds a bit northee accented ,a bit more use of synth sounds - otherwise ,this album is definetely a treat -U can go to a shop and straight away pick this albuM !

Another thing that impressed me is the bass pieces are prominent in most of the songs -Techie experts ,confirm

This is a album with superb charanams !

rags141
7th June 2005, 02:37 AM
album just rocks....khajirao, kaatril and konjam thira are just awesome and my favs in the album. other 3 songs are also good but nowhere near to these 3 songs.

rags

vem
7th June 2005, 04:53 AM
kajiraho is fantastic !!! it resembles to roja poon thottam from KN (also interlude music).

nonetheless, a great song.

songs available in coolgoose.com for downloads !!!

sseshadri75
7th June 2005, 08:57 AM
I was reading through some of the older TFM DF postings and came to know of a DC Hub and/or a dedicated FTP server from where folks used to download IR songs in mp3?Does any of these still exist?

tmrrmt
7th June 2005, 11:26 AM
My take on ONOK numbers - sour points for me - (i) the annoying synthetic stuff, be it percussion or the guitar riffs and (ii) absolute shocking absence of strings, violins in most of IR's recent albums - I reiterate once again, IR needs Kamal to come up with natural sounds/instruments;
without violins, IR composing music is like Shane Warne bowling with a lemon - why doesn't he use violin ensembles anymore ? - boohooooo, sob, sob from a HCIRF

Elamikku: JUNK - by IR standards - neither are the interludes inventive nor the tune itself - Sonu Nigam struggles in high pitch

Konjam Thira: interludes are OK - tune is so-so reminds me of 'Enna solli paaduvadho' (is it from Solla Marantha Kadhai ?)

Kharajo: ah! this song had ample oppurtunities for violins to fill in spaces, but IR choses synth violins - WHY ???
good tune - had it been embellished with violins, would have been sweeter - the one song that stays with you at the first listening

Katril Varum - reminds me of the Hindi classic 'Chandan sa badhan, chanchal shikuvan' - a gem nevertheless

Ponnukitta Mapillai - sounds like some T Rajendar composition, except for the second charanam which has typical IRish silken soft melody - a song like this by the IR of 80s, would have had terrific 'nayyandi' type guitar riffs and keyboard puches -

Enna Paattu - nice composition - might become popular soon, but the synth percussion is just blo*dy irritating!

overall, IR created immense oppurtunities for some opulent violin usage in this album, but shockingly refrains from using the same! WHY ?

12bums
7th June 2005, 11:28 AM
The light drums in Kaatril Varum are just awesome. Sonu Nigam seems to be the latest crush of IR. It was Arunmozhi, then Hariharan, then it was Unnikrishnan for a very brief time. Now it is Sonu Nigam I see.

I especially liked the guitar piece in Khajuraho. After a few hearings I find the Ponnukitta mapillai number also very catchy.

tmrrmt
7th June 2005, 11:51 AM
Ponnukitta Mapillai also reminds me of 'Kalyana Tharagare' from Eeramana Rojavey

tmrrmt
7th June 2005, 11:52 AM
and also 'Marugo marugo' from Vetri Vizha

krish244
7th June 2005, 12:42 PM
Teja, I like Sonu's singing and his voice, but I sort of agree with you that his voice becomes a bit over-zealous in high pitch. I dont know if its the uncomfort that is associated by singing in an alien language.

Yes, even I liked the silence that IR gives in some of his songs. In this song, silence is given in two places. One that comes before the first charanam starts and the second that comes after the second charanam finishes. Other songs that comes to my mind (but as far as I remember silence comes only in one place) are ENNAI THAALATTA VARUVAALA (KM) & THAVIKKIREN (TIME). In ETV (KM), the music that starts after the silence is just amazing! Suited the song situation to a T!

MumbaiRamki, even I felt the same about Sonu's accent at high pitches. It becomes something like Thanglish :). Yes, pallavi sounds very similar to Kommallo Kokila. Forgot to mention these in my comments. I was not able to download PONNUKKU MAAPPILLAI song! Agree with you that bass portions seems to be more prominent.

Inetk, I perfectly agree with your comments on the synth stuff that IR uses (and has become his style). Last weekend I was watching "Kadalora Kavithaigal" on some channel, one needs to feel the effect of strings sections, violins, flute, those bass portions, etc in songs like ADI AATHADI, Kodiyile and also POGUTHE POGUTHE.

thanks,

Krishnan

krish244
7th June 2005, 03:13 PM
Was litening to Kajiraho again. The feel of the music somehow resembles a song from THODARUM. Forgot which one is that.

Krishnan

raja_fan
7th June 2005, 04:56 PM
Krishnan,

That song may be "Shock adikkum poove.." from Thodarum.

Btw..

Did anyone feel this..?
The charanam of Kajiraho has similarities with "Kaadhal Maharaani.." from Kaadhal Parisu..

raja_fan
7th June 2005, 05:01 PM
IR should check the pronunciation aspect when Sreya or Sadana sings..

Sreya sings "Kaamanin VaLipaadu.." for Vazhipaadu.

sseshadri75
7th June 2005, 07:02 PM
Just listened to the italy concert samples.I wish the samples were longer than 15-20 secs.Courtesy: Maestro's Magic Group
All songs are excellent, especially the 3 note song..
Thank you IR for this wonderful masterpiece and thankyou Mastero's magic group for giving the sneak peak.

vijayr
7th June 2005, 08:24 PM
sseshadri, which group are you talking about? Can you provide a link?

vijayr
7th June 2005, 08:32 PM
OK, found the link myself
http://launch.groups.yahoo.com/group/MaestroMagic/

njv
7th June 2005, 08:36 PM
Are you talking about this

http://dvdunlimitedonline.com/shop/images/ir_angelica.jpg

sseshadri75
7th June 2005, 09:07 PM
OK, found the link myself
http://launch.groups.yahoo.com/group/MaestroMagic/

Yup,subscribe to this group and listened to the samples.I can't wait to hear Orch Mood Kapi fully in the original version (what a mindblowing composition)...superbly intervowen violin and flute interludes..vijayr did you listen?

Godfather
8th June 2005, 08:09 AM
Definitely *the* season's best album from IR. Fazil 'd received an unique quality album as he was mentioning to the media earlier.
IR has made a significant difference in terms of instrument arrangements, singers selection and in all musical aspects. Any innovative approach by the maestro will make a mark in TF history for sure.

As IR surprised us by attempting 100% jazz in Mumbai express, there are few surprises waiting in this album too.

Katru varum : Classically crafted with simple tabla, ethnic flute, co ordinance of singers and beautifully mastered mixings.

Mellifluous voices of Bavatharini, Shreya & hariharan gives us a deep devotional feeling for a while. One thing to note about this song is, it somehow reminds me the songs "enna samayalo" from unnal muduyum thambi and "vysnava" from Heyram. May be the tune belonging to a same raga. People who know classical music can clarify this point.

Khajirago kanavil: Starts with mild shreya's humming accompanied by guitar followed by some magical synth flutes. The rich start of this song makes our minds ready for a musical treat for the next 5 mins. When Hariharan starts singing, the chord changes lifts the song up up ...and never leaves down. Stunning guitars, interlude violins, singers perfection ...there are more than enough good points to qualify this song as the best of the album.

Enna pattu: A stunning song from Maestro who brings a fresh feel to our ears with a fusion of classical and western beats. Sonu must be feeling lucky to be IR's choice for this song. The usage of swaras are damn good to hear with unusual accompaniments.

Konjam thira: Yet another beautiful but a usual melody from IR.

Ilamaikku vegam: A solo song sung by sonu nigam. The Interludes and charanams are enjoyable in this song but the Pallavi somehow fails to impress.

Ponnukitta mapplillai: May be good to watch with movie.

Interestingly the album has beaten all the expectations by a huge margin. IR fans can cheer up and celebrate for his rocking performance.

teja
8th June 2005, 09:28 AM
I was watching Konji Pesalama on DVD the otherday. I was surprised to hear "never-heard-before" song during the initial credits.

Konji pesalam kuyilgale by Bhavatarini.
[Pardon my tamil - I couldn't figure out the third word ...]

Charanam of that song is damn good!
Not sure if this song is featured on the Audio CD.
So, I've uploaded it to my site. Check it out.
http://www.themelody.net
Jukebox -> New Releases -> Konji Pesalama

Ignore this post if this song is an old news.

Shankar
8th June 2005, 02:29 PM
am not able to download...Can someone pls send the files to me ?
shankar.ramanathan@gmail.com

Shankar
8th June 2005, 02:51 PM
ok....could download atlast...

vijayr
8th June 2005, 07:19 PM
teja, thanks for the rare clip. The tune is very simple, composed perhaps keeping Bhava in mind :-)Konji Pesalam had a couple of good tunes messed up by bad synth-heavy interludes. Unnai thedi is a good example.

vijayr
8th June 2005, 08:52 PM
ONOK is as ordinary as albums go. Kaatril varum geetham alone will warrant a second listen. Rest of the songs - a mix of not-so-hummable ordinary tunes and forgettable synth-heavy interludes, an annoying characteristic of recent IR songs.
Kaattu vazhi sung by IR is still my pick from these last few albums.

Nitya
8th June 2005, 09:04 PM
Well, this is my take on "Oru Naal Oru Kanavu": three songs are noteworthy.

1. "Enna Paattu Vendum Unakku". The tune is HAMSADHWANI raagam with very clever graha-bedham performed. Even though I wish IR had used some natural instruments, this song is five-hundred times better than "Suppose Unnai Kaathalukku" in Sukran.

2. "Kaatril Varum Geetham". Of course, this is a KALYANI based song, and the best thing about it is NATURAL ORCHESTRATION. I know, the first line of the pallavi sounds like "Somasaama Vadane" by the Late Raveendran Mash in the Malayali Mammootty film "Vishnu".

3. "Konjum Thira." What an aural treat! It seems like forever since I last heard an out-of-this-world song by Ilayaraja. It evokes a dreamy state of mind.

The other 3 songs didn't make an impact on me, but it's the goodness in the album that stands out. In fact, I dare say this album puts "Athu Oru Kaana Kaalam" to shame.

Regards,
Nitya

Sanjeevi
9th June 2005, 12:49 AM
Listening ONOK songs

Konjam thira is a stunning song. Wov what a song. I feel it is a very nice lick 80's type song of IR.

prabhudas
9th June 2005, 02:13 AM
Teja,
no that title song didn't feature in the original CD for some reasons and it is one of the good songs but for Bhava's ordinary rendering. Did you rip it from the DVd , I was planning to do that, have you made it as a mp3 clip for download or just streaming it?

Listened to "ONOK" songs, I don't know those mp3s online are ripped from original CD, the quality is pretty bad ( I hope the recording is better in the original CD), can't wait to get the CD,
I liked three songs of all the songs,
1.Konjum thira ... too..... good (the Cd will be worth just for this great song
2.Kajuraho kanavil...sounds an extension of "roja poonthottam of "KN" yet too good interludes especially the second one ( the biggest disappointment is the overusage of the synth stuff), I am hooked to this song instantly
3.Kaatril Varum - song another good song

rest are the usual stuff nothing extraordinary
most of the Dfers have alraedy said it, why is IR stuck with these synth usage ( Honestly anybody knows atleast a partial truth behind his almost regular pattern of overindulgance with synth in the last several years, kadavulukku dhaan theiriyum), they still stand out distinctive but sound often extremely repitetive

I am sure the "Kajuraho Kanavil" song theme might play a major BGM clip in the movie

Prabhudas

krish244
9th June 2005, 09:21 AM
Yes raja_fan! Its "Shock Adikkum poove" song. Thanks!

thanks,

Krishnan

teja
9th June 2005, 09:36 AM
@Prabhudas,
Yes... I ripped it from DVD into MP3 format.

@Nithya,
You said it. Konjum thira is simply out of the world melody. :thumbsup:
Especially the Anupallavi and Charanam.... It creates a lullaby effect on me :)

12bums
9th June 2005, 01:50 PM
Guys, did anyone listen to the bonus tracks. There are 2 more versions of Kaatril Varum Geetham - one is sung by IR himself and is preceded by dialogue between himself and Vaali. It was cool to listen to Vaali coming up with the lyrics! The next is a poppish version and is a duet by Shreya and Bhavatharini. Guys, watch out for the violin interlude. I have been waiting for a long time for such an interlude from Raja and after a long time here it is!

rameshj
9th June 2005, 02:07 PM
>>>2.Kajuraho kanavil...sounds an extension of "roja poonthottam of "KN" yet too good interludes especially the second one ( the biggest disappointment is the overusage of the synth stuff), I am hooked to this song instantly

Does anyone else feel that Julie Ganapathy's 'Idayame idayame...' song also sounds similar to the Kajuraho song in ONOK? Or is it just only me!?

raja_fan
9th June 2005, 03:13 PM
Offcourse, "Enna Paattu..." seems similar to the charanam of "Suppose unnai.."

But this is not the first time IR uses this kind of a tune, one may remember the "kaadhal kasakkudhaiyaa.." from Aanpaavam

krish244
9th June 2005, 04:54 PM
Just happened to listen to a song TAJMAHAL (from AMARAVATHY). I did not show much of interest in listening to other songs...but this song's start promised for something different to come. If I had not known prior to listening that the composer is Bala Barathy, I would have certainly thought that its IR! From top to bottom, BB has followed IR's style. The song is nice though.

thanks,

Krishnan

Cinefan
9th June 2005, 05:32 PM
Listen to all the songs krish,very nice album.

Sanjeevi
9th June 2005, 07:46 PM
All songs came previously with IR dialog were great hits.

One example is 'Kanmani Anbodu' from Guna.

Now it is the time for Kaatril Varum Geethamae.

Wov what a classical song!.

app_engine
9th June 2005, 08:00 PM
http://www.dailythanthi.com/article.asp?NewsID=188932&disdate=6/9/2005
...Saroja Devi laments IR didn't begin his career during her time...

Cinefan
10th June 2005, 10:37 AM
IR is the MD for 'Jithan'Ramesh's next film 'Madhu'being directed by a newcomer.

NagaS
10th June 2005, 12:36 PM
IR is the MD for 'Jithan'Ramesh's next film 'Madhu'being directed by a newcomer.

URL abt this movie: http://www.dinakaran.com/weekly/tamil/velli/2005/Jun/10/chips.html

NagaS

raja_fan
10th June 2005, 12:53 PM
Nagas,

Translation please ...

For this too..

"http://www.dailythanthi.com/article.asp?NewsID=188932&disdate=6/9/2005
...Saroja Devi laments IR didn't begin his career during her time..."

raja_fan
10th June 2005, 04:34 PM
app_engine,

Saroja Devi just says "IR had not entered the field when I was
acting..let God bless him with long life"

It is like saying "I did not interact much with that person"..Where does she lament ?
Aarva kolaarula naan andha linkukku poi emaandhutten !

vem
10th June 2005, 05:40 PM
Saroja Devi doesnt need to lament as MGR-Saroja Devi hits are evergreen. MSV has been just prolific in giving melodies .......

So I really doubt if the oldies would lament for missing IR in their times.

Cinefan
10th June 2005, 05:48 PM
Saroja Devi doesnt need to lament as MGR-Saroja Devi hits are evergreen. MSV has been just prolific in giving melodies .......

So I really doubt if the oldies would lament for missing IR in their times.

What are you trying to say: MSV>IR&IR's songs are not evergreen?

vem
10th June 2005, 07:21 PM
Nope !!! What I mean to say is that MSV was equal to IR in giving melodies atleast to MGR and Sivaji. So the actors and actresses have nothing to crib about.

My post had no mention of IR !!!

But it is not the same case with new actors. They may feel that they didnt get a chance that Mohan, Kamal etc got from IR (such as songs from Nenjathai Killathe, Sigappu Rojakkal etc etc).....

Nevertheless, the new non melodious dapan kuthu songs that come now are also becoming major hits - but they are not evergreen.

MumbaiRamki
10th June 2005, 09:14 PM
NagaS,
enan amaithi ya irukeenga ..WHats ur take on ONOK ,esp sonu Nigam's pronounciation ?

vem
10th June 2005, 11:46 PM
ONOK sounds like a decent IR album. Kajiraho is an exact Roja Poonthottam from KN.
Other songs r predictable.

My take is: This album doesnt have the Kadhalukku Mariyadhai magic. Fazil could have used VS as he does for his Malayalam ventures.

It looks like BM is going to direct 3 movies after AOK.
Asked if IR would be his choice, BM told that IR's Background music is very important to his movies. So I think most of the faithful ones to IR stay with him only for his BGM (as his songs sound very mediocre nowadays).

NormalMan
11th June 2005, 12:57 AM
"Khajiraho ...." is my pick. Amazing strings in the beginning and in the interludes. Wonder why IR did not use it consistently instead of the stupid synth (sure KR had a hand there).

rajasaranam
11th June 2005, 01:46 AM
I dont know why whenever there is some Synth Usage everybody blames KR :evil:
I believe its done by IR only post Kadhalukku Mariyaadhai's roaring success :?

uv
11th June 2005, 03:07 AM
Rajasaranam
Relax man.
Currently listening to album, will write a review later
as of now its all good, decent album
Sonu nigam has done a good job, i dont know what others are complaining about.

Katril has yaman kalyani shades just like yamunai atrile from Thalapathy.
I liked the way Vali Sir and Raja Sir interact :)

Right now remixing(killin) old song with acid loops is the in thing, nice melodies get hardly appreciated.

vijayr
11th June 2005, 03:54 AM
Kaatril varum geethame starts off with the same notes as "naan paada varuvaai" from Uthiri pokkal but changes towards the end of the line. I believe IR has given better Kalyanis before:
Naan paada varuvaai
Vaidehi raman from Pagal Nilavu
VandhaaL mahalakshmiye

and plenty others.

Kaiveenayai by Bombay Jayashree from Vietnam Colony(her debut song) was a noteworthy number in Hameer.

"Right now remixing(killin) old song with acid loops is the in thing, nice melodies get hardly appreciated.
"

uv, mainly YSR has been doing that of late. He is one thoroughly messed up MD.

NagaS
11th June 2005, 11:06 AM
NagaS,
enan amaithi ya irukeenga ..WHats ur take on ONOK ,esp sonu Nigam's pronounciation ?

currently in a training , But could download and listen to all songs (atleast once :)) in ONOK and AOKK ... will post my comments after few more listenings :)

But I have no issues with Sonu Nigam's tamil - atleast he seems to be making a decent effort to pronounce everything right or he has a better teacher when compared to sadhana sarppam ;)

NagaS

njv
11th June 2005, 11:09 AM
I listed to ONOK for the last few days thru net and I bought the CD finally today. CD is just amazing. Best of 2005 by IR so far (MX also is good)

NagaS
11th June 2005, 11:10 AM
Fazil could have used VS

VS ? Thats little too much ... ONOK is better and more complete than any VS album in the last two / three years ! (Im talking about his tamil albums only !)

NagaS

suresh
11th June 2005, 01:44 PM
Are we still trying to evaluate each of IR's albums through the prism of the 80's, expecting the magic of a Johnny or a Moondram Pirai? Given close to 3 decades of prolific output, is it a fair expectation to have that an artist, or indeed any professional, perform at the same creative level? Are we just as fresh, enthusiastic and energetic in our work even with the passing of 10 years?

I think ONOK is a far superior album than anything sitting on our market shelves today. Never mind that "Sachien" with its quota of Chiranjeevi inspired 'nothing' songs (and remember, this is supposed to be a tender love story) and a very ordinary "Chandramukhi" (which is as faux-IR as VS can get) are the two chart-toppers. In his 5 albums this year (3 Tamil and 2 Malayalam), IR has shown fleeting, but many glimpses of his magic that can still put other contemporary MDs to the shade.

Poo poothadhu (Mumbai XP), Kaattu vazhi (Oru naal oru kanavu), Kaatril Varum (ONOK) - show me any set of 3 songs by a single MD in 2005 that has straddled this diversity in genres and moods? My expectations from IR are tempered by an understanding of his limitations - age, limited inspiration, perhaps a dwindling in creative instincts.. So I'm more than happy if there's even one song in an album that springs a surprise, with the subtle nuances that an experienced IR-listener can pick and revel in. If the likes of Sathyan Anthikkad, Fazil and Balu Mahendra stick to him and even celebrate their collaboration, evidently there's a meeting of minds between them and IR that may not necessarily result in platinum discs, but are contributing to the larger aesthetics and wholeness of their films.

I would request you to watch the song clip of "Enthu paranjalum" in Sathyan Anthikkkad's "Achuvinte Amma" if you get a chance, and then listen to the audio track where Sathyan describes the evolution of the songs with IR's harmonium-backed humming. You will see a rare (in present times) confluence of minds that have been able to conjure in a few fleeting minutes of creative collaboration, a memorable piece of cinema where the visual, the audio and the script merge so seamlessly to present a perfect example of choreographed teamwork.

Vem, I don't think Fazil has ever used VS in any of his Malayalam films. It's always been Ouseppachan in Mal (if not IR) and IR for Tamil.

tmrrmt
11th June 2005, 02:39 PM
suresh - you have nailed it right there ! but, as a HCIRF, I am a pampered music fan (spoonfed by IR's own hands, with rich music food from childhood) and and I WANT STRINGS, VIOLIN ENSEMBLES, CELLOS, VIOLAS, and the sound of natural percussion, either TABLA or DRUMS or whatever - for some reason or the other, IR is forcing himself to ignore/avoid all these instruments that served him like the magic wand and that is what bugs me (and I suppose several others) - 'oru naal' from Devadhai, had an outstanding baroque style movement in the second interlude - for me I want things as grand as that

tmrrmt
11th June 2005, 03:27 PM
guys - after listening to ONOK several times, my gut feeling is that the album will be an out-and-out chartbuster! 'Ponnukkindha' song will become as popular as 'yeh aathhaa' when Payanangal Mudivadhillai was released

rami
11th June 2005, 03:43 PM
A song from film "Poo vizhi vaasalile". Satyaraj and the kid.

Another song. Prathap pothan and a small girl in the song. Film:Moodu pani(?)

vijayr
11th June 2005, 09:41 PM
"Are we still trying to evaluate each of IR's albums through the prism of the 80's, expecting the magic of a Johnny or a Moondram Pirai? Given close to 3 decades of prolific output, is it a fair expectation to have that an artist, or indeed any professional, perform at the same creative level? Are we just as fresh, enthusiastic and energetic in our work even with the passing of 10 years? "

Suresh, this is not a completely valid argument. IR is doing less number of films these days, just 4 or 5 per year. So no harm in expecting freshness in atleast 3 out of 5 songs in every album, but we still get duds like Karagatakaari and so on. Also when his mind is still creatively fresh enough to do something like TIS, if he even shows a fraction of that creativity/enthu/dedication in doing TFM albums the output would be far better. Raja's best in the last 10 years has come in MFM, not TFM.

Sanjeevi
11th June 2005, 11:05 PM
Similiarities by something

Khajiraho - Roja Poonthotttam
Katril Varum - Janani Janani
Konjam Thira - (a) Naal Thorum (b) Thavikiraen
Ponnukintha - Kalyana Tharagarae
Antha Naal Gnabagam - Oliyilae Therivathu

:poke:

12bums
11th June 2005, 11:11 PM
Suresh I absolutely agree with you. Vijay you have defeated your own argument. Look at these 5 albums - ONOK, AOK, MX, Karagatakaari and Konji Pesalam. Do you mean to say that not even three out of these 5 lack freshness. Please note that whenever the situation has demanded it , he has delivered. You keep harping on karagatakari whenever you can. But have you seen the movie? It did not even deserve the songs it got(which btw were quite decent, though not path breaking). Some time back you were complaining that he is not choosy about his projects, but now that you have films from the cream of Indian cinema lined up - BM, Kamal and Fazil, you crticize the lack of freshness, which again is vain.

In the 80's IR could try out anything, and set the trend, but unfortunately, as Suresh says, now the so called trendsetters relying totally digital loops and the requirement that songs should set the boombox in your car stereo vibrating, where is the outlet for all the rich orchestration of the 80's. If you notice there has been a progression in IR's music. His 70's music sounded different from his 80's music, as did his 90's music. Obviously, the 21st century has brought changes to his music according to the changing times. But the core of his music is still the same. When you listen to a Poo poothathu or a Kaatril varum geetham, you know its IR!

I also see reviews saying, that the first line sounds like an old song or a small portion of an interlude reminds one of another old song. Come on guys! 30 years of premium music and you still want each note to be different?!

vijayr
11th June 2005, 11:27 PM
" It did not even deserve the songs it got"

then why did he accept to do the movie?

12bums, Kaatril varum geetham - is the lone winner from ONOK and even this is not anything out-of-the-world. Have heard many and better songs from IR in the same Kalyani scale. The orchestration(or the lack of it) in ONOK is pretty disappointing.For MX, the interludes were different, but the tunes?

"but now that you have films from the cream of Indian cinema lined up - BM, Kamal and Fazil,"

you must be kidding :-)) we all know very well that all these 3 guys(veterans) are IR loyalists and despite the commercial fate of their movies/music albums they will keep going back to IR. That doesn'nt say much about the quality of IR's musical output. Cream of indian movies? Not any more. BM has been washed up. Fazil's last movie was average and he has'nt done a tamil film in 6 years!. Kamal doesnt go to IR for non-Rajkamal films. What next?

I'll wait for TIS, listen to it, see how different it is (or not) from TFM albums and then comment further.

kavin
12th June 2005, 02:15 AM
The above discussion is political, opinionated and pointless :wink: . IR had a very special relationship with the mass not long ago. There are some who continue to nurture this relationship - music is the language of expression for this relationship. ONOK is a serving for those few who still yearn for his music. If it doesn't appeal to you then it was not meant for you. You have two options, wait for your turn or look elsewhere :wink: . Kajiraho Kanavil will do for now.

NormalMan
12th June 2005, 04:11 AM
Good one Kavin.

12bums
12th June 2005, 05:13 AM
Kavin, great point.

Vijayr, you have proven everything I wanted to say. You talk about the lack of orchestration. Precisely what I am saying. Today's chartbusters require no orchestration - Manmadharasa, Appadi podu and even Kaaka Kaaka are a case in point. Where is the orchestration? You give me a YamahaS90 synthesizer, and I will give you the orchestration.

As far as accepting Karagatakari is concerned, why should he not? Is there something written on the foreheads of those coming to him, saying they are not going to deliver quality?

As far as Fazil, KH and BM are concerned, they may be veterans, they may be IR loyalists. So what? Is that a negative? Fazil may not have made Tamil film for a long time. But is'nt that how he always works? Does'nt he always take a long break between his tamil films? So what if Kamal does not goto IR for non Rajkamal movies? What are you trying to prove? Is'nt it a positive if KH keeps going to IR for his home production always? On what basis are you saying that BM is washed up? Bcos his last 2 films did not do well? For that matter even MR's last 2 did not do too well? You talk about these 3 being IR loyalists? But you forget that they are IR loyalists, bcos like so many of us here, they believe in the quality of IR's musical output, each time, every time. Not judged by the no of cassettes sold, but by a unique character for each movie that IR creates, through his music, as only he can.

A case in point. Did you hear the Ramana songs? IR himself agreed that he did not understand the story properly. But then did you hear the bgm? I rest my case!

vijayr
12th June 2005, 07:46 AM
Kavin, I am just expressing my opinions on these albums. I am not saying that someone else shouldnt like Karagatakari or certain songs because I didn't like them.. On the other hand if ppl here like 12 bums keep questioning me on my opinions of IR's recent songs I'll let them know as to why I think they are'nt fresh

"As far as accepting Karagatakari is concerned, why should he not? Is there something written on the foreheads of those coming to him, saying they are not going to deliver quality? '

12bums, oh he can very well accept. But if the quality is bad(and you seem to agree with me here) IMO, I'll say so.

" BM is washed up? Bcos his last 2 films did not do well?"

BM hasnt been around since the mid-90s. MR is still pretty much a force to reckon with.

"But you forget that they are IR loyalists, bcos like so many of us here, they believe in the quality of IR's musical output, each time, every time"

They might believe, but that doesnt mean every album of theirs turns out to be as good as Varusham 16 or Moondram pirai, either in terms of cassette sales or technical excellence. Friends was average stuff. Julie Ganapathy and AOKK are'nt any better. Even some of the fans here in this thread have mixed opinions on these albums.

" Today's chartbusters require no orchestration - Manmadharasa, Appadi podu and even Kaaka Kaaka are a case in point. Where is the orchestration? You give me a YamahaS90 synthesizer, and I will give you the orchestration. "

by your own logic today's chartbusters dont need a great melody either, as proven by your examples. So why does IR give a melody like "kaatril varum geetham" and why do you go gaga over it? Think before you comment. IR has never been one to follow trend. His "Kaattu vazhi" song with natural instruments is an example. Virumandi is an example. But he doesnt do it consistently. As an aside, even synth can be used imaginatively.

jaiganes
12th June 2005, 05:37 PM
I feel that people have started viewing film music in an album like mentality, without thinking how it would be if seen with a film. I have heard loads of expert opinions when "Avatharam" was released as to why Raaja has sung most of the songs. When the movie was released, everyone felt that Raaja's voice suited the character much better. Again I am hearing everybody "rubbishing" Harris Jayaraj's Anniyan. For all you know , if seen along with the movie, these songs might be apt.
similarly for a given story and set of situations, ONOK and AOKK songs might be the right choices. I have not heard these songs, but from my experience when Kadhalukku Mariyaadhai was released, I hated "Aanandha Kuyilin Paattu". However when I saw it with the movie I liked it.
Coming to the over use of synth, I am ok with it as long as it does not give you the jarring feeling in the head. Raaja goes for a soft glide touch for synth sounds unlike the crisp hi bass 'cicks' (whale and dolphin terms) that everyone else in the industry is using. Maybe he likes it that way. I have no problems with that. I liked the opening synth of "Unnai thaedi" from Konji Pesalam. Even in the much acclaimed "Elangaathu Veesudhe" from Pithamagan, synth is there. Again it didn't impress me to start with, however the melody of the tune and the voices used stood solidly and left an indelible mark in the melody map of recent times.
In my opinion any music review of a film song album will be complete and just only when viewed with the movie. Let us give Raaja that benefit of doubt and not act as Nakkeerars (Killjoys in this context).

Arjuna
12th June 2005, 06:44 PM
Kajuraho song is awesome..others are ok type..kadhaluku mariyathey was far superior..

vem
12th June 2005, 06:56 PM
cine music is just for entertainment purposes. anybody is free to express his views here. afterall IR is just a musician - not a Prophet :))) instead of asking somebody to look for somewhere, it is better for the same people to refrain from replying to posts that they dont like.

there certainly cannot be arguments - as one's taste is fixed and one cannot like ONOK, Karagattakari, etc etc just because of IR's variety, IR's senility, IR's disinterest in music, IR's synth, u guys like it, etc etc.

I hear only IR's music just because it suits my taste. I was listening to Kaatrinile varum geetham songs yesterday (SPM movie) for hrs - Nobody but IR could have created such magic. So we are just deploring the fact that we are not even seeing a fraction of that IR in today's movies..... and some attribute it to IR's senility factor.... which may be totally correct.

So the point is nobody hates IR; everybody likes him as a musician. but liking his various albums depends on personal taste and expectations.

vem
12th June 2005, 07:38 PM
Discount of 10% for Casettes and DVDs of Thiruvasagam in Symphony until the 29th of June

http://www.chennaionline.com/music/devotional/2005/06thiruvasagam.asp

Vkrish
12th June 2005, 08:43 PM
In my opinion - Fazil, BM, Kamal prefers IR not just for music but more importantly for his ultimate BGM / Re-recording... which definitely elevates the quality of each frames of the film.
Even movies like Veerumandi, Ramana, Kasi, Bharti or Ivan had a great re-recording. I am sure both ONOK and AOK, BGM tracks will be g8.

12bums
12th June 2005, 10:47 PM
Vijayr, it is unfortunate that you think I am questioning your opinions. It is just that I felt strongly about some of the things you said, especially since I felt you were totally writing him off. Personally I still eagerly await an IR album, and forme, an IR album has more repeat value than that of any other MD. We can continue our argument, but I am sure it will serve no purpose. You will stick to your stand and I will stick to mine. I apologise for any misunderstanding.

sudhakarg
12th June 2005, 11:15 PM
vijayr -> Your point is very well taken.. But I often keep wondering what goes thro' the minds of geniuses.., what makes an IR stop orchestration.., what makes Sachin restrain his cover drive.. We all know they can do it. And they are smart enough to understand what they're doing. If they still do something other than what they "usually do", is the onus on us to put ourselves into their shoes & try to understand their actions? We may not like what they do, but may be there is a point somewhere which we miss. May be it'll be an interesting exercise!!

teja
13th June 2005, 03:43 AM
"Kaatril Varum Geethame" reminds me of "Jyoti Kalasha Chhalake" [Lata mangeshkar's bhajan from "Bhabhi ki Chudiyaan"]

vijayr
13th June 2005, 06:22 AM
Teja, any kalyani-based song can be linked to hundreds of previous songs composed in that scale both in TFM and HFM. Kaatril varum geethame is no exception, it has shades of previous songs, but still a good number overall.

" For all you know , if seen along with the movie, these songs might be apt. "

jaiganes, when seen along with the movie, even "naan autokaaran autokaaran" sounds apt as a Rajni intro song. Now does that make it a very imaginative composition in your book?
Earlier Raja songs used to have the power to stand on their own and in additon, sound good when seen on screen too. But these days the popular argument I get from some hardcore fans is that I need to see the movie in order to enjoy the songs. I dont buy this completely. It is partly true for situational songs like that composed in Hey Ram, Virumandi etc. But I like Guru, Kochu Kochu santhoshangal etc like anything and I havent seen these films. Same with several other 80s albums. And Oru naaL oru kanavu sounds like another commercial movie like Friends. I dont think the songs are going to sound any better on screen. They are your usual duets and solos composed for usual situations.

jaiganes
13th June 2005, 08:59 AM
vijayr!
One small point, Autokaran autokaran is SindhuBhairavi with SPB pitching in his best.
It is definitely 100 times better when seen with the movie than when heard alone. But to say that it is totally rubbish is not correct in my opinion. It had a lot of "Deva's uniqueness" and it is a mass song. I am not going to put in the leagues of "Naanaga naanillai thaaye", but it still deserves its own place along with the likes of "Vandhendaa paalkaaran" and "Raajavukku Raja naandaa", other Rajini mass songs. I would rate it 100000 times better than "Machaan paeru madhure".
Coming back to Raaja's songs these days, IMO, he has definitely curbed down on the interlude portions and that could be due to the lenght of the movies and how they would look in the movie.
Even in Mumbai Express, "Poo Poothadhu" song was curtailed and some interlude music bits and Shreya Gosal pieces very cut off in the movie. It was a disappointment for me and must have been for Raaja himself. Remember the village song in Pithamagan which did not feature in the film? I guess his short interludes these days are because of the current trend in Thamizh film world to keep songs shorter for keeping the pace.
Senility of Raaja is a strong word vem. He is just 60 + and for musicians it is not an old age. Again his style of composition is not painfully creating music, but rearranging effortlessly patterns that "appear" to him. How these patterns form in his mind seems to be driven by
1. How the creator of the movie narrates the story and song situations,
2. How the film maker has shot a certain scene &
3. Any challenge that stimulates, like a Hey Ram and samba kinda situation.

Yesterday I watched IPC215 , an NFDC venture directed by chaaru haasan on Raj TV. The movie was such a low budget one and IR had created some good and apt BGMs. The movie had its own drawbacks and plusses. However lot of moments were aptly supported by his BGM. I didn't find any symptom of his senility spoiling the music of the movie. Being an NFDC venture, he wouldn't have had the monetary incentive to do a great work, however being a professional he did a great job IMO.

suresh
13th June 2005, 09:53 AM
Vijay

You missed my point, or did you bypass it? I have been trying to say that you must view ONOK or indeed any of IR's new albums in the context of contemporary offerings. Not against his late 70's or early 80's creations. Anniyan, Chandramukhi, Sachein, Arindhum Ariyamalum, Kana Kandein - the latest chart-toppers. Where would you place ONOK?

I'm not sure if you live in India/TN, and have had the misfortune of tuning in to the songs on FM. If you did, and you still compain about the last few IR albums, I have nothing more to say.

Ok, let's put it this way. Has there been a better female chorus than "Kili thattu" (AOKK), a better male solo than "Kattu vazhi"(AOKK), or a better light classical than "Katril Varum" (ONOK) in the last many months? In Malayalam, have there been better back-to-back duets than "Shwaasathin thaalam" and "Oru chiri kandaal" or a better female solo than Chitra's "Enthu paranjalum"? I can't think of any in a LONG distance.

rajasaranam
13th June 2005, 11:53 AM
suresh,

Whatever you said is true and i have the same view over IR's Present day compositions. All these cribbing about IR not being good currently generates from comparing 80's IR Vs 2000's IR. I had already said this a few months back that 'IR need not be compared against him and comparing him with the present lot of MD's he is way ahead of them in creating magic' Unfortunately Vijayr seems to miss the point as always :)

Arjuna
13th June 2005, 12:09 PM
suresh - I guess u shuld listen to Kandu Kandu from mambalakalam - if u think mallu songs are not good nowdays..Or listen to some of deepak dev songs from symphony, chronic bachelor..Or maybe u culd listen to Or noor ashakal song from Ennitum by Jassie Gift - u will see there are quite a few talented composers in the mallu industry too!

Arjuna
13th June 2005, 12:10 PM
Btw - check out ARR praising IR,MSV and RM from www.dinamani.com

raja_fan
13th June 2005, 12:18 PM
Arjuna,

Translation please..Fonts problem :(

Arjuna
13th June 2005, 01:51 PM
http://www.dinamani.com/Cinema/CineItems.asp?ID=DNC20050612150426&Title=Cinema+%2D+News&lTitle=%F9Nn%A7Ls

ARR says "MSV, Ramamurthy, IR and TSM are all universities. There is not a single achievement that is not been done by them. When SJ Surya wanted me to remix the 'thotal poo malarum' from the song padakoti, I accepted it reluctantly since I was scared. I also gave a new tune for it. I was scared thinking what MSV wuld say after listening to the song. But in one function, MSV hugged me and said the tune was amazing."

ARR then gave golden rings to MSV and Ramamurthy.

I guess this wuld stop everyone shouting at ARR :)

Arjuna
13th June 2005, 01:52 PM
oops sorry it was IR who gave the rings..ARR wuld have given something too :)

NagaS
13th June 2005, 03:18 PM
IR didn't give anything to ARR ? LOL :)

jagannn
13th June 2005, 04:55 PM
Hi Guys,

I attended this function yesterday.

It was a facilitation to V-R and hence IR gifted golden rings to the duo.

IR was little emotional in his speech and said "what ever I have achieved is only by picchai from V-R. He also repeated and included ARR (who has been internationaly acclaimed ) that what we achieved is only by Picchai & Echil of music given by the DUO.

At the fag end of the function ARR was given the mike and he confirmed IR's Statement that V-R are dictionaries and IR drew a line from them, out of which he could draw a small line .

Any how it was indeed a very great gathering of Musical starwars Viz., V-R, TMS., PBS., P.Susheela, SPB,IR, Dakshinamurthy swami, DR.Bala Murali Shyam, etc.

njv
13th June 2005, 07:54 PM
jagannn

I envy you. I am stuck in USA. I am begging my wife to allow me to go to TIS release as well, but you know how it works once you get married. At times I feel like coming back to Chennai, atleast for attending these. Hmm...

vijayr
13th June 2005, 08:52 PM
"Ok, let's put it this way. Has there been a better female chorus than "Kili thattu" (AOKK), a better male solo than "Kattu vazhi"(AOKK), or a better light classical than "Katril Varum" (ONOK) in the last many months? In Malayalam, have there been better back-to-back duets than "Shwaasathin thaalam" and "Oru chiri kandaal" or a better female solo than Chitra's "Enthu paranjalum"? I can't think of any in a LONG distance."

Suresh, the last few months have been marked by Rahman's absence and the other MDs arent in the same class as him. I wouldnt compare IR's recent songs with that of YSR or Dhina and feel better about it. For one, I know what he is capable of and judge his songs against his own standards that he set. If the competition is inferior, then it is easy to create a song or two that is better than your rival, especially in this era where melodies are'nt the order of the day. That by itself, doesnt make the song great.

Secondly, IR's songs like Kaatu vazhi belong to a different era/genre and cannot be compared easily with current chart-toppers like say songs of arindhum ariyaamalum that have been composed with the youngsters in mind and belong to a different genre(pop/hiphop etc.) and have been composed with a different set of requirements. Thats why I compare IR's songs to his own recent best from MFM where his quality has been higher. But still,in 2003/04 I can list a lot of solos/duets that were as good if not better than IR's best numbers, even from MDs other than ARR.

Also,even taking into account the songs you mentioned we get just about 1 good(but not great) song/album on an average from IR these days, like a teaser. But eventually as an album, they disappoint(and dont come anywhere close to say a Kochu kochu santhoshangaL or yaathramozhi, leave alone Guru) . Kaatril varum geethame is a good light classical but didnt blow me away.Same with Kaatu vazhi. Before I could start fully appreciating the song, it ended. It had some promising interludes which were'nt fully developed. To answer your question, ONOK might have that 1 song that is good and has glimpses of brilliance, but as an album overall, I wouldnt place it higher than Anniyan. Not enough variety in ONOK. Almost 3 or 4 songs sung by Sonu/HH all have the same intruments(predominantly synth), seem to belong to the same style/genre, giving a feeling of repetition while listening. And that ponnu pudichirukku song is forgattble, we have heard too many songs in TFM in that genre with the same dappanguthu rhythm thanks to the likes of VS/Dhina etc.
Interestingly the 3 songs that you have listed as examples, kaatuvazhi/poo pothadhu/kaatril varum geethame/kiLithattu all have more usage of natural instruments and less synth. So it seems like although we disagree, our expectations of IR are more or less the same.

Arjuna
13th June 2005, 09:57 PM
vj I agree with u - but how abt Khajuraho song..its really good..I also think the kaatril varum geetham sung by IR is far ahead then sung by all the others (pavatharani and co)..just eagerly waiting for our thalai the great ARR to be back...

K
13th June 2005, 11:01 PM
http://thatstamil.indiainfo.com/specials/cinema/cassete-review/orunaal.html review for ONOK

natha1729
13th June 2005, 11:18 PM
Jagann, Shyam means old Mal MD Shyam? (a Sporadic Genius, but a genius indeed.)

Why doesn't G.varajan show up for these functions, He lives in Madras only>

suresh
13th June 2005, 11:25 PM
--Digression---
Arjuna

"Kandu kandu" is such a mundane number, and Deepak Dev and Jassie in my opinion are just as good as Dhina and Srikanth Deva. Ok, marginally better. I had high expectations from M Jayachandran, given his consummate performance in Kairali's "Raagotsavam", but he seems to be struggling to strike a balance between the demands of classisicm and commerce. I consider only "Mizhirandilum" and "Vadakkumnathan" as good quality in the recent past, and that too perhaps influenced in part by my fondness for the late Raveendran. To answer your specific query, I do listen to a lot of MFM, Malayalam being my mother tongue. To say the quality of films and music there has plummeted is an understatement IMO.

---end digression, apologies ------

Vijay

You're right on that one - our expectations from IR are indeed the same. But, where I have reconciled to a certain 'minimum guarantee' output, you seem to have not. That explains why I like 4 songs in ONOK and 3 in AOKK, and indeed why I think that "Kaatril varum" is a great one :) C'mon mate, if Bhavatharini can sound this sweet, you must credit the father for some magic?

Comparing his output in MFM to TFM would not be fair or relevant given the variance in contexts and the marked difference in aesthetic sensibilities between the two.

Rahman's absence - absolutely a significant factor. If you take him out of the picture, an IR performing at 25% creativity and intensity is more than a match for the rest. Yet, even at his 'below par' level, 2005 has been a good year for an avid IR listener like me.

On a diff. note - I know you think YSR wouldn't know melody even if it were to slap him on his face, but when you've the time, listen to "Saami kitta" (Dass) and let me know what you think.

rajasaranam
14th June 2005, 01:13 AM
... ONOK might have that 1 song that is good and has glimpses of brilliance, but as an album overall, I wouldnt place it higher than Anniyan. Not enough variety in ONOK. Almost 3 or 4 songs sung by Sonu/HH all have the same intruments(predominantly synth), seem to belong to the same style/genre, giving a feeling of repetition

That was preposterous :(
If 'Anniyan is better than ONOK' is what your musical taste tells then... GOD help you.
Regarding Variety. Is it the requisite of a Film director or Music director to decide upon that?? If shankar needs a dappankuthu, two classical based nos. and two poppish nos. there is HJ to provide it. And If Fazil needs the mood of the to be carried over in the same manner IR gives songs belonging to same style/genre. and if BM decides to have one scintillating no. one pathos one dappanguthu and two melodies IR delivers it in AOKK. You cant blame it on a MD that a movie doesnt have a variety of songs. Its with the Director to decide what he needs.

vijayr
14th June 2005, 01:22 AM
"But, where I have reconciled to a certain 'minimum guarantee' output, you seem to have not."

Maybe, I am just being greedy :-) Its just that I feel that when a guy still has creative juices to attempt something like TIS at 60+ years of age he can probably do a little bit better in TFM. He can probably throw a sprinkling of some of the natural instruments he has used in TIS, in TFM songs.
And since he is doing 5 films/year like Rahman these days, expectations are a tad higher.
If his synth-based songs arent finding a market commercially, chances are that his songs laden with natural instruments would'nt do all that worse. Atleast the regular IR fan will be pleased and buy the cassette.
Sometimes I doubt whether that whole orchestra that IR had with him in the 80s has been disbanded and everyone has gone their way :-( The trend-conscious industry doesnt allow an artiste to be himself. Its a shame.

Really looking forward to TIS - collector's edition. Hope its success revives the era of orchestration in TFM.

(Havent listened to Daas- "ninaithu ninaithu paarthen" from 7GRC seemed to be the song of choice on TV sometime back for YSR's melodies)

vijayr
14th June 2005, 01:28 AM
rajasaranam, not just variety, even in terms of interludes they were'nt all that creative/appealing and a few others too have mentioned only 1 or 2 songs as good from the entire ONOK album and have complained about the plastic interludes in general. IR's interludes earlier used to be hummable and were mini-songs by themselves. These days the interludes dont stay in mind and have to be listened to several times(like Rahman songs) Compare this with say, Varusham 16. No formula situations there like in Anniyan, yet the songs have variety and sparkle with creativity.

Arjuna
14th June 2005, 02:38 AM
I think IR should compose songs like bharathi..they were amazing songs - all times best of IR..and stop composing songs like ME,VM etc..I think if IR composes the same way as he did in the 80's - then that wuld be perfect..

thops
14th June 2005, 04:20 AM
//Its just that I feel that when a guy still has creative juices to attempt something like TIS at 60+ years of age he can probably do a little bit better in TFM.//

sorry dude...this just isnt going to happen...there just isnt anything in TFM (or any other FMs) to inspire IR to deliver something of the standard that you seem to be expecting...

rprasad
14th June 2005, 05:00 AM
I agree with Suresh about the expectations from IR's albums during the current period. Vijay, i used to be a lot like you are now waiting for an IR album with a zillion expectations about the tunes and interludes and general innovation. But i realized that this is not going to happen as he is no longer working with all the same top directors for whom he had produced those classics. My expectations have been toned down. I just try to enjoy songs as they are without my mind wandering into analysis. But i still have an ear for any new stuff he attempts.His classics may be sporadic now but we are fortunate that we get atleast one in a year or two which still shows the genius in him is still alive. I am a little excited with his recent work after his outstanding Virumandi last year , followed by MX( innovative interludes) and now a pretty decent ONOK(very hummable though not pathbreaking). Given the kind of directors he works with nowadays i am happy we get to hear atleast decent hummable stuff from him now and then. Eager to hear TIO and the next collaboration with Kamal(only he is left to inspire him now).

vijayr
14th June 2005, 08:41 AM
thops, not expecting something of TIS standards in TFM obviously. I am asking for "just a sprinkling" - likeGuru or Kochu Kochu santhoshangaL. I think he is capable, he is also doing less films these days - but practically I realize it might be a tall order considering the average quality of films he is working on. Unless MR/Shankar do films with IR and Kamal does couple of films with him every year it might be a distant dream. Bala, Cheran although good directors arent exactly known for their music sense. Whatever IR gives them is probably out of his own initiative.

NagaS
14th June 2005, 12:37 PM
I think 'kaattuvazhi' will be IR's representative song for this decade :) ... Excellent job by IR as MD / Singer and Lyricst also !

vatRaatha jeevanathi vaazhkkaiyadaa,
nambikkaithaan iru pakkamum karaigaLadaa !

NagaS

thumburu
14th June 2005, 01:26 PM
Nagas, "nambikkaithaan iru pakkamum karaigaLadaa ! " - andha namkikkai thaan konjam sandhehama irukku, esp after reading IR's interview in Vikadan where he says he felt there was no diff between composing for a TFM or TIS. But as always, he is full of contradiction when he says he has attained his life's worth by composing for TIS. Onnume puriyallai IR ai pathi.

crvenky
14th June 2005, 02:38 PM
thumburu, I see it like this.

What he means in Vikatan interview is that musically speaking, composing for TFM and TIS are the same for him. Its all sapthaswarangal only for him.

As far as TIS is concerned, he is glad that God had given him an opportunity to understand and tune the lyrics of Thiruvasakam and he doesnt need anything more in life, after he attained this place.

njv
14th June 2005, 04:23 PM
Unless MR/Shankar do films with IR and Kamal does couple of films with him every year it might be a distant dream. Bala, Cheran although good directors arent exactly known for their music sense. Whatever IR gives them is probably out of his own initiative.

Thats what I was thinking in the last few days. Why dont MR/Shankar go for IR, specially Shankar. There is nothing wrong with ARR. ARR has given nothing but best for shankar, but atleast to show some differences between films Shankar has to work with IR. Ofcourse what he would get is a world class, undisputed BGM. I am just recalling Ramana's (a typical Shankar style movie) BGM here.

rooky
14th June 2005, 05:06 PM
Anniyan has variety.It surprises me.

Three songs have similar beats and feel.only two other songs(ayyangaar and andankaakka) differ from them.

When i played the songs in my car,i felt like listeneing to the same song three times.

Scale
14th June 2005, 07:16 PM
Unless MR/Shankar do films with IR and Kamal does couple of films with him every year it might be a distant dream. Bala, Cheran although good directors arent exactly known for their music sense. Whatever IR gives them is probably out of his own initiative.

Thats what I was thinking in the last few days. Why dont MR/Shankar go for IR, specially Shankar. There is nothing wrong with ARR. ARR has given nothing but best for shankar, but atleast to show some differences between films Shankar has to work with IR. Ofcourse what he would get is a world class, undisputed BGM. I am just recalling Ramana's (a typical Shankar style movie) BGM here.

njv! I am sure Shankar wont go with HJ again. ARR um doubt thaan. Then nichayama adutha padathula shankar will team up with IR. neenga Produce pannineengana... :lol: :lol: May be Shankar will take IR to moon for composing....

PS: Anniyan Movie/songs will sure be a BO hit (namma tamil makkala patthi theriyadha enna).

vijayr
14th June 2005, 07:40 PM
thumburu, IR often lets out comments like that. But a quick look at the fact that he took 12 days to compose and several days(or weeks) to polish the final product tells me that it isnt your usual TFM stuff but something special. Lets wait.

app_engine
15th June 2005, 01:19 AM
[tscii:83117f628d]http://www.dailythanthi.com/cn/cn_home.asp?newsres=2&issuedate=6/14/2005&secid=1#pR•TW†‡¥%20J£%20ATÖNÖ–%20TP†‰eLÖL%20LYŸop %20EÛP›¥%20SªVÖ%20SÖVŸ%20SP]•

some song sequence from a new IR movie...[/tscii:83117f628d]

NagaS
15th June 2005, 09:22 AM
kaattuvazhi is written for a small boy / youth ;) ... notice varigal Like "intha ILavayasil myuzichchikittaa pozachchukkalaam" etc., :)

IR is now too old to follow all those ... LOL :)

Seriously, I think IR is more mature than how he sounds in these interviews, you gotta read his aanmeega katturaigaL (not kavithaigaL :) )

NagaS

tmrrmt
15th June 2005, 10:37 AM
NagaS - IR gives mature answers to mature questions asked by mature people in interviews - silly questions asked by an silly interviewer, is aptly replied with equally bizarre answers!

try this - if and when you meet IR, speak your heart out about the subtly nuances in his BGM (which probably he would have forgot himself) for a particular sequence in a film and see his reaction - then, you will see IR's genuine self

most of these journalists do not know how to interview IR - even the much hyped Karan Thapar interviewed SPB once for STAR - his questions on music were pathetic and hence SPB's answers were equally pathetic! the musical moron KT asked SPB some very intriguing questions like 'how do you sing so melodiously ?' etc

NagaS
15th June 2005, 10:51 AM
NagaS - IR gives mature answers to mature questions asked by mature people in interviews - silly questions asked by an silly interviewer, is aptly replied with equally bizarre answers!

Exactly - thats what I tried to mention in my earlier post - his interviews are never done with depth, Esp., with vikatan, all they need is 4 pages of photos, thats it :) content is not relavent anymore !

If you get a chance, read Ra. Ki. Rangarajan's article abt meeting IR, Its in his latest book "Naalu moolai", a very simple and touching article it is !

Nagas

raja_fan
15th June 2005, 12:39 PM
Nagas was right.

I got a chance to read writer Balakumaran's article on his meetings with IR..

At the end of the article, he says "IR oru Garvi endru innum en Kaadhu pada pesugiraargal..Bodhi marathin adiyil utkaarndhavargal ellaam Buddhan aagi viduvadhillai. " ( "I still hear people saying that Ilayaraja is a proud (arrogant ) person. All those who sat under the bodhi tree cannot become a buddha..)
He means, all those who met IR cannot understand his greatness..

raja_fan
15th June 2005, 04:40 PM
Anybody read this week's Ananda vikatan..?

Sujatha tells that Manirathnam had plans of directing Kalki's Ponniyin Selvan and later dropped it. Sujatha wonders that if big bollywood and kolywood stars come together and Raja and Rahman accept to do the music, then it can be made in 40 crores..:)

balaji
15th June 2005, 07:01 PM
Shantanu Moitra (MD of Parineeta) has given an interview in Music India Online, where he has listed IR along with SD Burman, Salil Chowdhry as the msuic directors whose songs he listened while growing up...

Also, the beginning piano number in the "piyu Bole" reminds of 'En Vaanile.." from Johnny. Does any one see the similarity

Bala

balaji
15th June 2005, 07:02 PM
Shantanu Moitra (MD of Parineeta) has given an interview in Music India Online, where he has listed IR along with SD Burman, Salil Chowdhry as the msuic directors whose songs he listened while growing up...

Also, the beginning piano number in the "piyu Bole" reminds of 'En Vaanile.." from Johnny. Does any one see the similarity

Bala

Sanjeevi
15th June 2005, 11:28 PM
I feel similarities between Chandramugi song and Jhony song.

'Raa Raa' and 'Katril enthan geetham' are the two songs.

Anybody feel the same?

njv
16th June 2005, 01:31 AM

Bala
Balaji I mentioned this in another forum (dominated by NI) and they were totally upset/angry with me. Not just piyu bole, but interludes in almost all the songs reminds me of some IR song and thats why this CD is in my car-bag-cdplayer-toilet-bathroom - you name it, its there. I love parineeta.

venkiks
16th June 2005, 02:39 AM
Having the greatest treats after a long time.
Kajuraho, Kaatril Varum Geethame, Enna Paatu Vendum - ONOK
Kaatu Vazhi, Killi Thattu Killi, Andha Naal - AOKK

the songs are having me hooked up for the passed two weeks.

rajasaranam
16th June 2005, 04:14 AM
Here again a mention of IR :)
Yes his music sure sounds Rajaish but polished for Northies.
http://in.rediff.com/movies/2005/jun/09shan.htm

12bums
16th June 2005, 05:09 AM
Guys a beautiful, heartfelt review of AOK in Behindwoods.

http://www.behindwoods.com/literature_society/adhuorukanakalam.html

raja_fan
16th June 2005, 01:49 PM
Is Cheran really doing a film "Pokkisham" with IR currently..?

sseshadri75
16th June 2005, 05:06 PM
Did anybody get a chance to buy IR Italy compositions.On Agi's website the release was slated on June 15 in US/India.Is it available in musicworld now?

crvenky
16th June 2005, 07:13 PM
Dear Seshadri,
Pls refer to Agilan's mail in Dr Vijay's yahoo groups, reg availability of this CD in India.

jagannn
17th June 2005, 09:15 AM
I contacted Lakshman Sruti shop yesterday regarding the CD. They said they are not aware and no such CD has been released . Puzzled!!

By the way is it in the form of ACD OR VCD? :?

NagaS
17th June 2005, 01:27 PM
This week's vikatan, Sujatha writes in detail about IR's TIS and about Raja's future plans ...

http://www.vikatan.com/av/2005/jun/26062005/av0803.asp

He has given IR's mail id also .... ijaja2005@yahoo.co.in

(I guess some typo here ... may be it is iraja2005 ... not sure !)

NagaS

tmrrmt
17th June 2005, 02:28 PM
NagaS - can you give a translation of the article here ? I am not able to access the site and its contents - thanks

vijayr
17th June 2005, 07:58 PM
Same here. Can someone translate the technical points Sujatha is supposed to have made in that article?

app_engine
18th June 2005, 12:25 AM
Is there any sales figures (reliable) for the audio of the Fazil movie? Which company released it?

Sanjeevi
18th June 2005, 12:30 PM
Hit Musicals is the company have the audio rights for ONOK

thops
18th June 2005, 10:28 PM
"ponnukuintha mappilaiya" from ONOK sounds very bailaish to me...anybody hear the same ???

thops
19th June 2005, 08:38 AM
Ilaiyaraaja's Italy Concert - for folks in US/Canada - with free shipping

http://www.squidco.com/miva/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=4900&Category_Code=ReR

raja_fan
20th June 2005, 01:32 PM
testing

kj
20th June 2005, 06:12 PM
testing

rooky
21st June 2005, 01:41 PM
http://www.indiaglitz.com/channels/tamil/musicreview/7485.html

sureshmehcnit
21st June 2005, 03:35 PM
Here is my review

http://www.mouthshut.com/review/Oru_Naal_Oru_Kanavu_Album-76693-1.html

Smile
Suresh

rajasaranam
21st June 2005, 11:44 PM
Ilaiyaraja doesn't classifies music :) http://www.musicindiaonline.com/n/i/top_stories/1370/

Sanjeevi
22nd June 2005, 01:04 AM
I give 8/10 marks to ONOK and 6.5/10 to AOKK songs

vijayr
22nd June 2005, 03:04 AM
Ilayaraja's live program in Italy with mp3 samples:
http://www.agimusic.com/Ilayaraja's%20music%20journey.htm

Check out Kapi orchestration and 3-in-1 besides others

vijayr
22nd June 2005, 03:15 AM
Sunu Oh! seems to be a slightly mellow, softer version of ghanashyaama from KochuKochusanthoshangaL.

vem
22nd June 2005, 05:33 PM
IR doesnt classify music
http://www.musicindiaonline.com/n/i/top_stories/1370/

Sanjeevi
22nd June 2005, 11:44 PM
:shock: :? :) :P :D :lol:

app_engine
23rd June 2005, 02:18 AM
vijayr, thanks for the link...`elangAthu veesudhE' is a new find for me...what a sweet song...(heard the regular version by immediately getting a coolgoose version - both singers - esp. the female- sing without jeevan, however, the overall sweetness cannot be taken off by their dull singing)...need to look for the regular CD during next visit to `Indian store'...

idhu mAdhiri ethanai Raja treasures innum irukkO...

About the agi samples, though the choices are excellent by IR for the concert, I'm somehow not able to enjoy most of them (probably because of the strong presence of the originals in mind, the revised interludes / percussion arrangements don't jell with me)...

app_engine
23rd June 2005, 02:29 AM
elangAthu veesudhE...I'm hooked to this...

`karum pAra manasule'nnu female voice pallavi'la varumbOthu, the percussion arrangement mArudhu pArunga...enna oru inimai...such small little things are the ones that typically make a Raja song memorable and close to heart...ada , ada evvaLavu nALachchu ippadi oru brilliant song kaNdittu...

app_engine
23rd June 2005, 02:41 AM
elangAthu veesudhE...has transported me back to TN...oorla vayal pakkam ukkAndhu transistor radio'la indhappAtta kEtta eppadi irukkum'nu Enga vachchiruchchu...Oh I miss namma ooru...

This is the problem(!) with Raja songs... they have so much nativity that makes you yearn to return to your roots...nostalgia ellAm vandhu mood-out paNNidum...ada pOngappa, innikku nimmadhi pOchu...I'm getting homesick...

Music4Ever
23rd June 2005, 03:24 AM
app_engine, are you talking about the Pithamagan song? It is a very lovely number, but I am amazed you are listening to it only now. There was this guy who played this song on his violin during one of the Sapthaswarangal episodes. He did a haunting rendition of the same. A very very superb song by IR.

vijayr
23rd June 2005, 06:24 AM
app_engine, ilangaatru veesudhe was sort of a hit, so a little surprised you missed it. IR probably wanted to choose one of his recent bests and he chose this song.
Also, I agree that the live version done with limited instruments doesnt quite have the depth of the original versions. I still went ahead and ordered the CD for the 3-in-1 and kapi orchestration.

Chinmayi, who sang some of these songs in the live program had written about it in her blog sometime back in case you are interested
http://chinmayisripada.blogspot.com/2005_05_01_chinmayisripada_archive.html

scroll down and check out may 17th blog

vijayr
23rd June 2005, 06:27 AM
Music4ever, incidentally the guy who sang ilangaatru veesudhe, Sriram, was a judge in the raagamaalika programme on Jaya tv once.He sang this song with a mini-alaap and a lot of carnatic touches with sangathis etc. :-) It sounded totally different.

sureshmehcnit
23rd June 2005, 04:25 PM
Here is my review on "Illayaraja Music Journey"

http://www.mouthshut.com/review/Illayaraja's_Musical_Journey-76841-1.html

Smile
Sureshkumar

Kupps
24th June 2005, 02:51 AM
This week's vikatan, Sujatha writes in detail about IR's TIS and about Raja's future plans ...

http://www.vikatan.com/av/2005/jun/26062005/av0803.asp

He has given IR's mail id also .... ijaja2005@yahoo.co.in

(I guess some typo here ... may be it is iraja2005 ... not sure !)

NagaS

NagaS,
MakkaLin nanmai karudhi sujatha-vin seidhiyai aangilaththil mozhi peyarkka koodaadhaa. Umakku emadhu siram thaazhndha :notworthy:

Vysar
24th June 2005, 04:38 PM
This is a well deserved launch. It is good to see BIG THREE coming to gether. Great work Maestro! See the following link for Pics

http://www.indiaglitz.com/channels/tamil/gallery/events/7635.html

app_engine
24th June 2005, 07:14 PM
http://www.dailythanthi.com/article.asp?NewsID=192109&disdate=6/24/2005

PS interview...Praises IR...'imayam pOla uyarndhu vittAr'...

isaiosai
26th June 2005, 03:25 AM
Dear DFers,

You can download the TbI poster and banners from the following URL. Please use them to spread the word about TbI from your side:

http://f2.pg.briefcase.yahoo.com/isaiosai

Mikka nandri for all your help and support.

isaiosai
26th June 2005, 08:52 AM

cry_sandiego
26th June 2005, 10:23 AM
Interesting to see all the TFM MD's ( Except Deva ) together..

Kamal , Parthiban , Balu Mahendra are the obviously missing from the IR Camp..

Thanks for the link

sseshadri75
26th June 2005, 10:30 PM
Was searching for some IR song,while I stumbled upon this page.
http://www.greatandhra.com/movies/listen/illayaraja_songs.html
IR Telugu songs (in MP3)

MADDY
27th June 2005, 02:22 AM
Gr8 to see enga thalai with IR........but anyone has any idea abt transcripts of wat exactly ARR had to say abt IR???? and is this programme going to be broadcast on TV????

MADDY
27th June 2005, 02:26 AM
Really pleasing to see TKRamamoorthy invited for this event.........ppl. always forget this gr8 man..........

Sanjeevi
28th June 2005, 12:09 AM
Two days back, IR had come to Madurai to visit Manikavasagar place and Meenakshi Temple, Thiruparankunram Temple.

njv
28th June 2005, 12:57 AM
Gr8 to see enga thalai with IR........but anyone has any idea abt transcripts of wat exactly ARR had to say abt IR???? and is this programme going to be broadcast on TV????
FYI
http://soonapaana.blogspot.com/2005/06/20-minutes-of-electric-shock.html

I hope that they will telecast these events eventually. It is a very nice gesture of ARR to come and also appreciate IR. Hats of to ARR for doing this.

krish244
28th June 2005, 11:46 AM
Found this link praising about "Kaatril Varum Geethame" song in ONOK:

http://www.behindwoods.com/features/News/News1/23-6-05/tamil-movies-news-raja.html

Also, FYI, SS music will be telecasting programme(s) about TIS by Ilaiyaraaja. Yesterday evening they showed a glimpse of the program, but missed to note down the timings. I guess its going to be soon. So, check out.

Krishnan

vem
28th June 2005, 08:48 PM
Rajinikanth and Kamalhassan in Thiruvasagam launch

http://www.chennaionline.com/colnews/newsitem.asp?NewsID={4D914B18-D8AB-4FC5-B249-CFA9A7DFD724}&CategoryName=CHN

njv
28th June 2005, 10:14 PM
In vikatan interview last week Rajni mentioned that he wont be able to attend the release function due to his planned visit to US. I guess he called off his trip. Good to see Rajni and Kamal both attending, since they have always attended all IR's music and book releases.

Sanjeevi
29th June 2005, 11:34 PM
Antha Naal Gyabagam

What a stunning melody.

When it starts to play, I starts to fly. The super feeling continues through the song until it closes.

Wov what a treat from IR.

The same feeling while listening Konjam Thira from ONOK

Can anybody like the Konjam Thira song like me? I have listened about 100 times this song and I am still listening.

:P

Sanjeevi
29th June 2005, 11:37 PM
Appada oru valiya oru badi eriyachu.

junior hubber -la irunthu Regular Hubber -aa Ayachu

:lol:

Sanjeevi
30th June 2005, 01:01 AM
Fantastic article

http://thatstamil.indiainfo.com/specials/cinema/cinema-news/raja.html

app_engine
30th June 2005, 01:27 AM
There are some glaring inaccuracies in the article (like 2 nat awards...while the fact is 3 viz. sAhara sangamam, sindhubhairavi and rudraveeNa)...when are these people going to pay attention to details and prevent such glaring inaccuracies?

Cacaphonix
30th June 2005, 05:31 AM
hmm...interested to know what vimarsagar suppudu has felt about it. Has he got the chance to listen to it? I remember suppudu was one of a privileged few to listen to the IR's RPO Symphony. I guess suppudu would also have got listened to the TiS.

sivakumarann
2nd July 2005, 06:44 PM
Dear guys.I'm Siva from Malaysia,who had a the previlage to attend the TIS launching in Chennai.Well I could elaborate the full details of the funtion if you request(as I'm sure so many pres would have reviewed it)

MADDY
2nd July 2005, 10:52 PM
Sivakumaran....pls go ahead with ur details of the function.......also pls throw some light on ARR's speech.........

neways, any links or any website where i can listen to TIS?????it was supposed to be released on jun30th rite????

thops
2nd July 2005, 11:09 PM
maddy did you just come back from mars :-)) ??

krish244
4th July 2005, 10:53 AM
MADDY, on SS music, I got a glimpse of what ARR said. He said

- that its a great effort taken by Tamil maiyum
- that IR is a national treasure.
- that Indian & TN government is spending money on so many things, why not they grant money for these kind of projects.
- IR should take up more such projects.

You can listen to the samples at www.raaja.com website.

thanks

Krishnan

app_engine
6th July 2005, 01:57 AM
[tscii:989bb8e7c8]http://www.dailythanthi.com/cn/cn_home.asp?newsres=2&issuedate=7/5/2005&secid=1#BÍLÖŸ%20‘¦•Í%20W«oN‹‡WÁ%20RVÖ¡eL%20ÉYÖ_N‹‡ VÖ%20Szeh•%20zЕ

IR signed up for `panippuyal'....[/tscii:989bb8e7c8]

tmrrmt
6th July 2005, 09:48 AM
Is * `panippuyal'....a remake of "The Day After Tomorrow" ?

sudhakarg
6th July 2005, 01:06 PM
Article from Cinesouth.com on launch of TiS:

http://www.cinesouth.com/masala/hotnews/new/01072005-5.shtml

Ilayaraja who spoke last, enumerated the hardships he faced to make Thiruvasagam in Symphony. He thanked all those who helped make his dream a reality. "I have finished creating Thiruvasagam Symphony. If God wills for another major work to be set to music, it will surely happen," he said. The sore point for the whole function was when he made some unpleasant veiled references to a few people.

Can someone write about those "veiled references"?

Cinefan
6th July 2005, 04:27 PM
http://www.telugucinema.com/c/movies/vamsyandraja.php

Vamsy&IR are back together for two telugu films.

vem
6th July 2005, 06:08 PM
it will be awesome if Vamsi directs a thriller like Anveshana.....

cry_sandiego
7th July 2005, 06:18 AM
I am still waiting for my TIS CDs//.. any reviews yet from DFers??

thanks
MSK

teja
7th July 2005, 08:32 AM
check this http://forumhub.mayyam.com/hub/viewtopic.php?p=157994#157994

K
7th July 2005, 11:18 PM
Raja use to say about his film music what ever you heard is like appalam and oorugaai I can serve a full course meal, he made it true by composing "Tiruvasagam in symphonic Oratorio" appalam and oorugai are also present in the full meals,yes there are some shades of his old music in this. But the total output makes a person Amazed and puzzeld how these are possible, there are lot of things in this musical to analyze, discuss and appreciated, since I lisent it only once this much is what I can say

multinamatheyan
9th July 2005, 03:36 AM
MSK,

Check the Tis thread for links to the reviews.

Thiru
10th July 2005, 10:25 PM
check out the elephunk theme song from BlackeyedPeas... Direct lift of a song from IR's Sri Raghavendra.. Should IR sue this band for using his song like bappi lahari?

http://www.danceage.com/media/276-Black-Eyed-Peas-Elephunk.php

rajasaranam
11th July 2005, 02:22 AM
Thiru,

romba pazhaya news :)
BTW why should IR sue them :? They have done an excellent job in remixing this song, and this song is there in my HDD for the past 2 years and i listen to this song very often. Infact its way ahead and better than the remixing of 'AASai nooru vagai' done for the movie Kurumbu by YSR!

Nitya
11th July 2005, 05:51 AM
Thiru:
check out the elephunk theme song from BlackeyedPeas... Direct lift of a song from IR's Sri Raghavendra.. Should IR sue this band for using his song like bappi lahari?

http://www.danceage.com/media/276-Black-Eyed-Peas-Elephunk.php

OMG! This is just wack! :rotfl:

njv
11th July 2005, 08:14 AM
Thiru,

romba pazhaya news :)
BTW why should IR sue them :? They have done an excellent job in remixing this song, and this song is there in my HDD for the past 2 years and i listen to this song very often. Infact its way ahead and better than the remixing of 'AASai nooru vagai' done for the movie Kurumbu by YSR!
They released this in their initial CD release, but later removed it. If anyone have a CD of this, please let me know. I am willing to buy this.

gopiharan
12th July 2005, 08:51 PM
can one tell me where can i download the mp3 songs of the malayalam film - GURU composed by Maestro?
People talk so much about this music!

njv
13th July 2005, 09:51 PM
Listen to it in raaga.com. if you like it, but it. Its only 99 Rs in India!