PDA

View Full Version : IR New Albums - Old responses (5 Aug 2006)

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 [9]

abbydoss1969
20th June 2006, 06:41 PM
The difference bet IR and other MDs is explained beautifully in this article in the latest outlook;

Today, no other artiste personifies the popularity of film music as does Ilayaraja. He entered Tamil films in the mid-1970s, when there was stagnation in film music. Ilayaraja's creations came as a whiff of fresh air. The song that made him famous in his debut film Annakili (1976)-Annakili unnai theduthu (Annam is looking for you)-was authentic folk. In his 30 years in cinema, he has composed music for more than 1,000 films in Tamil and four other languages.

But what sets apart Ilayaraja is his grasp of the role of music in cinema. Very few music directors, with the possible exception of L. Vaidyanathan and Salil Chowdhry, have demonstrated an understanding of the medium of cinema and the role of a musical score in the narrative. Ilayaraja doesn't believe in creating film music as a mere aural experience, isolated from the images. For him, music is integral to the effect of the movie. It has to integrate with the narrative, not intrude upon it. It has to go with the images, has to be part of the viewing experience.

http://www.outlookindia.com/full.asp?fodname=20060626&fname=HCol+Baskaran&sid=1

MrJudge
20th June 2006, 07:08 PM
This thread is mainly for discussing IR albums. Not why he chose or didnt choose to work on an album. There could be 100s of other reasons (not just idealogical diff) for IR not working on the Periyar movie.

People from different religions come to this site. So let us not make this a Religious/Atheist thread, as we have many such threads in the internet for such silly fights.

Again, religion is very personal. So if Periyar Ramasamy didnt want to worhsiip God, so be it. But the irony is that these people (so called Atheists) are just ANTI-HINDU. Thats all. Sathyaraj, our great Kalaignar, because of Politics, criticize the Hindu practices and the Geetha while not uttering a word against Bible or Quran.

But that is politics. Let us not squabble on whose God is better or if GOD really exists ?

The bottomline is IR is not working on that Periyar movie - who knows the director might have thought that IR could be just over the hill as a music director :) (even though we dont believe that)

Before preaching to RS, I think you should re-read your statements. You could have avoided a few statements which are so irrelevant to the topic!

ithu thaan pottu vangratha? :)

buggle
20th June 2006, 11:32 PM
Any update from anyone on the Aadum Koothu movie?
I guess music is by IR, but this link says the movie was already complete and sent for National Award committe..

http://thatstamil.oneindia.in/specials/cinema/shooting-spot/navya-17.html

rajasaranam
21st June 2006, 01:08 PM
there is an interview from cheran in this weeks kumdam or AV. He confirms the completion of the movie which was stalled due to financial difficulties from the producers side. Navya nair, cheran, the director and cinematographer all roped in some money from their own pockets to complete the movie. He was praising navya's dedication towards that project and said she has done a very good job in the movie.

He also talks about 'maayakannadi' - Engu mozhikkum Vaarathaigalukkum sakthi illamal pogiratho angu Ilaiyaraajavin isai antha vetridatai nirappum :)

12bums
22nd June 2006, 08:43 AM
Digression : Can anyone tell me who sang the song ' Senthamizh naadenum' in the movie Kamaraj?

crvenky
22nd June 2006, 11:42 AM
Is it not by Mano?

crvenky
22nd June 2006, 11:45 AM
I saw Madhu recently. Contrary to the reviews, the movie was decent to watch (good photography, but amateur direction). One strange thing was Indha ulagil song. There's a different version in the movie (I cant find the singer name). Please hear it from here and let me know.
There are very minor modifications in the singing.
http://www.filefactory.com/?f3202f

kiru
22nd June 2006, 11:44 PM
...He also talks about 'maayakannadi' - Engu mozhikkum Vaarathaigalukkum sakthi illamal pogiratho angu Ilaiyaraajavin isai antha vetridatai nirappum :)

Good. I thought this guy had no appreciation for music.
MSK, I watched the movie in two sessions. Surely, I missed IR in the movie, whether songs or BGM. The best music in the movie was, I think, from a pro Folk dance/drama troupe. Very aesthetic.

SVN
23rd June 2006, 02:21 PM
IR's Hindi film directed by Balki, "Cheeni Kam" is nearing completion.
It doesn't look like one of those run-of-the mill formula Hindi films, which usually get hyped up by the prodcuers and also given 5 start ratings by Trade-Analysts masquerading as reviewers.

However I hope Balki has managed to inspire IR to give an excellent score, and more importantly, market the music well so it reached out to a larger audience. He owes a lot to IR, whose music he continues to use in almost all his successful jingles!

http://www.screenindia.com/fullstory.php?content_id=12798

thumburu
23rd June 2006, 06:07 PM
This week's Kalki carries an interview with dir Bala about his "Naan kadavuL". He insists it must be read as "naan matrum KadavuL" and not "Iam God" . Arya is roped in to play the lead . He doesn't want to broach on Ajith quitting when it was done in a very amicable manner. When asked why IR again , Bala shoots back "do you think anybody other than IR can score for my film?" . But hasn't YSR done before?

rajasaranam
23rd June 2006, 06:45 PM
This week's Kalki carries an interview with dir Bala about his "Naan kadavuL". He insists it must be read as "naan matrum KadavuL" and not "Iam God" . Arya is roped in to play the lead . He doesn't want to broach on Ajith quitting when it was done in a very amicable manner. When asked why IR again , Bala shoots back "do you think anybody other than IR can score for my film?" . But hasn't YSR done before?

That could be because IR wished YSR to score for that movie when Bala approached him. Same way IR gave the project of Kudaikkul mazhai to KR when RParthiban approached IR to compose for that :)

rooky
23rd June 2006, 09:48 PM
Me watched Kris in PVR goldclass today.There was SHIVA trailer shown there and the trailer said 'Coming soon - This July'.BGM was quite impressive there

MrJudge
24th June 2006, 12:07 PM

That could be because IR wished YSR to score for that movie when Bala approached him. Same way IR gave the project of Kudaikkul mazhai to KR when RParthiban approached IR to compose for that :)

Yes, IR was offered those movies first and he re-directed them to YSR and KR. Nantha was a good exercise for YSR at such a young age. KM's background music is very good too. IR is the one who gave tremendous support to Bala when he was struggling with his project Sethu. I don't think he will go after somebody else.

MumbaiRamki
24th June 2006, 01:56 PM
Rajasaranam,
As far as i know - From Parthipan's interview for Kudaikkul Mazhai in SUn TV ( or Jaya ?) ,he was impressed with KR's re-recording in IVAN and the music for apadi parkathenna from IVAN .( melody is raajas and the rest is KR )

12bums
24th June 2006, 09:16 PM
MR, I think, the rerecording for IVAN is by IR himself. You can see IR's signature, especially in the scenes between Parthiban and Soundarya.

vem
24th June 2006, 09:51 PM
http://www.cinesouth.com/masala/hotnews/new/24062006-6.shtml

Mahendran's new movie with Arvindsamy.

Remains to be seen if IR is the MD......

Sanjeevi
24th June 2006, 10:38 PM
Vem, IR is not the MD for Sashanam. IR rejected this offer due to very low salary.

Hulkster
25th June 2006, 08:51 AM
Yeaps...Balabharathy is the Music Director for this film...Mahendra was a very music conscious director...his films had some of the best music by IR. Who can forget Uthiri Pookal...Mullum Malurum. You can see in that article of how he comments about IR's music in his film.

vem
25th June 2006, 12:07 PM
That is very sad. Mahendran is one guy who really inspires IR (or extracts the best from IR).

Nenjathai killadhe songs - Very unique, evergreen melodies in TFM. Fantastic orchestration.

Then Johny - BGM while police chasing Rajini, amazing songs.....

Finally Senthazham poovil and Azhagiya kanne songs......

Well ! It could be a low budjet movie. But IR has already worked for low budget but meaningful movies such as Kutti and karuvellam pookkal.

It is a loss only for us :)

Renault
25th June 2006, 12:09 PM
I guess IR will be doing just the bgm part alone in the movie.

Vysar
25th June 2006, 07:45 PM
MR, I think, the rerecording for IVAN is by IR himself. You can see IR's signature, especially in the scenes between Parthiban and Soundarya.

I saw IVAN yesterday and KR has been credited for BGM

rajdes
26th June 2006, 11:36 AM
MR, the prelude of Apdi paarkuradhenna - is that by KR, if what you say is correct? To me, that was the best few seconds of the Ivan album?

MumbaiRamki
26th June 2006, 01:47 PM
rajdes,
An EMphatic YES - I see KR stamp in this :)
YUp -Its one of my favourities too :)

thumburu
26th June 2006, 04:09 PM
Ivan - IMO, except the "Mel topuille" [How absurd can the lyrics get!!!] song , all the other songs sound IRish. Earlier, I used to like the 2 classical SudhaRaghunathan songs and the semiolassical "appidi paakardhuna" . But recently "ulagame" and "dhool podu moLaga thoolu" songs have also caught my attention. Esp "Ulagame" is the most underrated of all. It has a nice wcm orch and is as rousing as "manidha manidha" . Those who have missed listening to this gem should give a try :)

crvenky
26th June 2006, 06:46 PM
thumburu, Agreed, that song is a classic. There are some more similar songs that came out during that period.

1) Oh indha ezhai geetham - Devan
2) Annal Gandhi - Desiya Geetham
3) Udhan rajjiyathil - Aandan Adimai (really under-rated album)

teja
27th June 2006, 09:21 AM
[tscii:bc9056cf2f]When Ramu, Vamsi and Raja met!
It happened when Ilayaraja was recording songs for Vamsi’s forthcoming film with hero Aryan Rajesh (soon to be launched). Raja and Vamsi were in a recording theatre in Mumbai and suddenly Varma dropped in.

Varma was almost like jumping with joy after listening to the songs. “It reminded me of your old days – Sitara and Anveshana time. Great music, it would rock the Andhra Pradesh,” is what Ramu said to have conveyed his opinion about the music to them. He kept on talking about songs through out the day and raving about Vamsi’s storyline and its title. The hit combination of Vamsi and Ilayaraja is coming back with his film after gap of a decade.

http://www.telugucinema.com/tc/vamsirajaramu_june2606.php[/tscii:bc9056cf2f]

sudhakarg
27th June 2006, 04:22 PM
I'm searching for "Madhu" CD in Chennai, and am unable lto find it in any of the shops. They all seem to have only the cassette version. From what I heard from the shops, the movie songs were a big hit, and all CDs are sold out!

BTW, any suggestions on where I can find good IR collection in Chennai?

rajasaranam
27th June 2006, 07:46 PM
I'm searching for "Madhu" CD in Chennai, and am unable lto find it in any of the shops. They all seem to have only the cassette version. From what I heard from the shops, the movie songs were a big hit, and all CDs are sold out!

BTW, any suggestions on where I can find good IR collection in Chennai?

:roll: I dont know where you enquired but ASAIK the songs were not that great a hit :? Did you try MusicWorld/PlanetM/Landmark in Spencer's plaza :?:

app_engine
28th June 2006, 01:05 AM
http://dinamalar.com/2006june28/kalki.asp#3

another young MD (composed songs for latest movie of K Bhagyaraj) admires Raja...

balaji
28th June 2006, 03:29 PM
Teja

Thanks for the link

I for one will not be so excited unless I listen to the songs myslef. This Ramgopal guy I doubt has much music sense. He was just lucky in Siva(IR), Rangeela (ARR) and Kshanam Kshanam (Keeravani _ Margathamani).

Anyways, I wish I am wrong

Bala

sudhakarg
28th June 2006, 07:17 PM
Thanks Rajasaranam. I too could'nt believe "Sold out". I tried Landmark and Odyssey

rajasaranam
28th June 2006, 10:18 PM
sudhakar,

Odysee are dumbest around :) They dont get the supply of newly released albums even after a week and they procure very less nos. of CDs obviously they should've sold out :)
I think I saw the CD's of madhu at music world/spencers when i went to buy vallavan and KD around 15 days back.

buggle
28th June 2006, 11:28 PM
Article about IR in Kumudam magazine under Maanbumigu Manithargal section
http://www.kumudam.com/magazine/Kumudam/2006-06-28/pg15.php

rajdes
29th June 2006, 02:00 PM
balaji, I agree with you on Varma. Varma looks upon Music just as a functional unit to be present. Case in point - Sarkar. He has a host of Telugu movies which betray his lack of interest in songs(which is fine,IMO) or BGM(which is not!). The very appreciation( I think you are back to Anweshana, Sitaara time form) is a back-handed compliment in many ways
1. That(Sitaara) type of music is not what becomes hit these days
2. Surely, Raja's style is far different from his sitaara days - we have countless examples in both Tamil and Telugu from his recent output for this. So I guess this was just Ram Gopal Varma's(read the usual filmy) uninformed way of appreciating Raja: When you want to appreciate a old-timer, just say your recent output is like XYZ, where XYZ is a previous hit of old-timer.

It might really turn out to be good but I wouldnt give a damn to Varma's pronouncements on music(he should rank behind even Yash Chopras and Karan Johars on music sense) - I would rather wait to hear the goods and then decide.

vem
30th June 2006, 08:28 PM
Watched Karthik Raja's interview in indiaglitz.com. He explained about the greatness of IR's symphony. It looks like it is out of the world !!! Unfortunately it was never released.

To a question whether IR provides him valuable advice now and then, KR impudently replied that he wanted to learn all his mistakes of his own and not from IR. He infact wanted IR to desist from giving any tips :)

When asked about his favorite songs, he didnt mention even one IR song in his list. I dont know if they are on good terms with each other.

njv
3rd July 2006, 08:00 AM
Watched Karthik Raja's interview in indiaglitz.com. He explained about the greatness of IR's symphony. It looks like it is out of the world !!! Unfortunately it was never released.

To a question whether IR provides him valuable advice now and then, KR impudently replied that he wanted to learn all his mistakes of his own and not from IR. He infact wanted IR to desist from giving any tips :)

When asked about his favorite songs, he didnt mention even one IR song in his list. I dont know if they are on good terms with each other.

KR is a lazy AH and IR kicked him out of his house (all because of horoscope, but its working well for KR). Look at the way he answered, he said he dont know the composers and all but he just started telling hte songs he like. On top of that he said, he love to do hindi songs because hindi songs seems to add value to his music (and he also acknowledge two things, 1, he doesnt know hindi, 2, lyrics doesnt matter for good songs). He even said that he doesnt want to be an MD. He just wanted to listen to good music and enjoy. Hmm... Get some ipod and retire man.

njv
3rd July 2006, 08:05 AM
balaji, I agree with you on Varma. Varma looks upon Music just as a functional unit to be present. Case in point - Sarkar. He has a host of Telugu movies which betray his lack of interest in songs(which is fine,IMO) or BGM(which is not!). The very appreciation( I think you are back to Anweshana, Sitaara time form) is a back-handed compliment in many ways
1. That(Sitaara) type of music is not what becomes hit these days
2. Surely, Raja's style is far different from his sitaara days - we have countless examples in both Tamil and Telugu from his recent output for this. So I guess this was just Ram Gopal Varma's(read the usual filmy) uninformed way of appreciating Raja: When you want to appreciate a old-timer, just say your recent output is like XYZ, where XYZ is a previous hit of old-timer.

It might really turn out to be good but I wouldnt give a damn to Varma's pronouncements on music(he should rank behind even Yash Chopras and Karan Johars on music sense) - I would rather wait to hear the goods and then decide.

This untitled movie has 6 songs, SPB, Hariharan, Sonu Nigham, Shreya Goshal, Sadhana Sargam and IR rendered teh voices. It seems Sonu-IR song seems to be the best of all. Apart from this, IR also scored music for one more mythological movie, has 11 or 12 songs, all semi-classical type it seems. For RGV Shiva also IR did 2 songs.

Another insider info - ir will be coming to Boston for some "academic" visit around july!

Sanjeevi
3rd July 2006, 11:43 AM
Welcome njv, the new PA for IR :D

buggle
3rd July 2006, 04:40 PM
Another insider info - ir will be coming to Boston for some "academic" visit around july![/quote]

Oh really?? i live in Boston, that's great to know...pls post more updates when you hear abt it njv..thx

buggle
3rd July 2006, 04:42 PM
Another insider info - ir will be coming to Boston for some "academic" visit around july![/quote]

Oh really?? i live in Boston, that's great to know...pls post more updates when you hear abt it njv..thx

buggle
3rd July 2006, 04:43 PM

buggle
3rd July 2006, 04:44 PM

njv
3rd July 2006, 09:01 PM
buggle

I know you stressed your point well enough. if i know the exact dates and where etc, I will post it here.

New PA - I am not that lucky enough. just get these news from IR fanatics.

tmrrmt
4th July 2006, 01:11 AM
Hi njv- long time no see - can you give updates on IR's Boston visit - wud like to meet him

btw, what is this visit about ?

Thanks

njv
4th July 2006, 05:06 AM
tmrrmt

I was in India for last 2 months (and the reason I didnt post anything!) and just back last week. Purpose of IR visit from what I know is to learn/understand the curriculum that they use in music academy/schools here for his soon to be started music academy. Another talk is that he is meeting few folks for another Symphony (this time seems to be pure western and just instrumentals than vocal), but former seems more realistic than later.

If I know more, I will let you know.

aruvi
4th July 2006, 11:31 AM
Digression:

KR has always looked down at other composers. I recall him once quoting in an interview "These days, even people who don't know ABCD are composing". This was around the time he entered. KR and Bhavatharini at first stated that they don't listen to ARR's music at all at home, while Yuvan from the beginning, said he loves Kadhal Rojave.

KR has said in past interviews also that he prefers to comppose in Hindi, since it is musically rich language and would do more justice to his songs. So I am wondering why he says that language doesn't matter for good songs! I mean, what song has outlasted to date that didn't have good lyrics. Actually, all 3 IR children seem to have an inferiority about Tamil. Their Tamil sucks(Dear IR preaches to the public about young children forgetting language and ways:-). On my part, I find it hugely entertaining...:-)

KR seems to have an inferiority complex which he attacks in interviews with defensive tone. He never praises others, unless they are related to him or is a northerner. He quoted during Ullasam time that 'He considered Ullasam as his first film, because the producer of Manickam did not release the film with the appropriate publicity/grand personas(Kalaignar) coming to the function. To my knowledge, the film was produced by his father's old friend.

On the positive side:

Musical knowledge-wise, KR beats both YSR and BTharani. It has surprised me greatly that he fell back in the field while his brother slowly emerged to become very popular(although, I admit that YSR's music is liked principally by youngsters). KR's lack of success in the 11 years that he has been in the field surprises me, especially with the background and camp that is always there for him.

KR always sticks up for his Dad, to the extent of fibbing and being funny:-) This was mostly in the early days, but to be truthful, he hasn't been in the public eye(media) too much in the last 5 years.

KR's favourite song of his father's is from "Aaril irunthu Iruvathu Varai". The song goes like this "Kannmaniye kaathal enbathu karpanaiyo kaviyamo". He gets a vote just for picking this song. IR made a beautiful tune in this song. When I remember the tune, the lyrics flow in my head...beautiful song.

Well that's about it. Best wishes to KR.

P.S. I don't really understand kicking your children out of the house for horoscope purposes:-) I pray and hope IR is not that far off. It would be more believable if he thought some independence will help KR be on his own feet.

selvakumar
4th July 2006, 02:07 PM
http://kanapraba.blogspot.com/2006/07/blog-post_115188773395994139.html

80 களில் தமிழ் சினிமா உலகில் இசைச்சக்கரவர்த்தியாக இருந்த இளையராஜா இப்போது கேரளாவின் சக்கரவர்த்தியாகி விட்டார் போலும். மனுஷர் பின்னணி இசையிலும் சரி பாடல்களிலும் சரி பின்னியெடுத்துவிட்டார். இந்தப்படத்துக்கு இளையராஜாவின் இசை இல்லை என்றால் என்ற கற்பனை வந்து பயம்கொள்ள வைக்குமளவிற்கு அவரின் ஈடுபாடு தெரிகிறது. பொன்னாவணிப் பாடம், பூ குங்குமப் பூ, ஆத்தங்கரையோரம், என்று எதையும் ஒதுக்கிவிட முடியாத அருமையான பாடல்கள். இன்னும் மலையாளப் பாடல் தேர்வில் முதல் 10 பாடல்களில் முதலாவாதாகவே பொன்னாவணிப் பாடம் பாடல் இருக்கிறது.

njv
4th July 2006, 08:23 PM
On the other hand I saw Naalai and KR BGM is stunning. Most of the time you can feel IR in BGM. With our KR's BGM the movie would have been very normal (yet another don movie like Don Sera), but KR BGM elevated the movie to another height.

Hulkster
5th July 2006, 06:39 AM
Karthi Raja's BGM always had shades of his father and some soulful music in them. All his movies even the dull three roses had some good background scores. It is a pity he is not really noticed if not tfm would not have to suffer from the copied bgms of srikanth..dheena. and co..:cry:

MumbaiRamki
5th July 2006, 09:26 AM
Three Roses BGM was not done by KR :)
His best BGM pieces were in Geethai ( songs by YSR) -Esp the scene where vijay enters the villain's house .
and in siraichalai (partly done )

vem
5th July 2006, 10:38 AM
Digression.

Another ludicrous part of his (KR's) interview was his complaint regarding dearth of male singers in Tamil :)

Asked about old singers, he somehow gave an impression as if he wanted them to stop singing :)))

A very contradictory and contraversial person I suppose.

teja
5th July 2006, 11:08 AM
IR-Vamsy's film launched...
http://www.telugucinema.com/tc/news/vamsijuly0406.php

aruvi
5th July 2006, 08:36 PM
I wonder if Unnimenon, Unnikrishnan, Mano, Hariharan, etc lack singing fundamentals of KR:-) I think there are enough singers in the playback scenario. As it is, I personally can't even name most of the female singers now.

kiru
6th July 2006, 07:22 AM
....Musical knowledge-wise, KR beats both YSR and BTharani. It has surprised me greatly that he fell back in the field while his brother slowly emerged to become very popular(although, I admit that YSR's music is liked principally by youngsters). KR's lack of success in the 11 years that he has been in the field surprises me, especially with the background and camp that is always there for him.
I have the same opinion here. His tunes sound like that of a much more mature MD ..very good flow and continuity (I fault even ARR in this sometimes) with all the nuances of a good indian melody (eg. YSR lacks in this). So why is he not successful. Here are my theories -
1. He focusses so much on the tune/melody, that he is falling behind on the harmony/chords. I have seen many songs with an instrument totally following the main tune or he doubles the voice. Maybe somebody more knowledgeable can critique this aspect and throw some light.
2. Inability to create fun songs for the youth. This is very important to be a popular MD. Even IR did many popular songs which dont fare that great on the technical complexity.
3. KR probably tries to overreach himself, in getting a whole composition that is on the same level as IR. This probably is reducing his speed and flow. Both ARR and YSR start out with a simple framework/tempo and build out the layers (in ARR's case to a very high standard,).

sudhakarg
10th July 2006, 02:52 PM
<Digression>

I recently bought a bumper CD in Chennai with the movies "kizhakkE pOgum rayil", "niram maaradha pookkaL", "nizhalgaL" and "kallukkuL eeram"... I was surprised that most songs were by GA!! And one of the songs was written by "Sirpy". Does anyone know if this is the same "Sirpy" the MD??

</Digression>

Sanjeevi
10th July 2006, 05:06 PM
Can anybody tell the list of IR's upcoming projects

Nakeeran
10th July 2006, 05:11 PM
Wov Federer in the first set

Yov Sanjeevi

Enna aachupa unakku ? this is not a sports thread :lol:

Namma Isainyani threaduppa :twisted:

prabhudas
11th July 2006, 05:06 AM
Vem,
Thanks for the link on " KR's interview. I browsed around to see few more interviews also.
On the contraty to ur impression, I found his interview more interesting of all his interviews.
He was pretty much very straight forward,
About singers, I thought he mentioned more about limited range among male singers, than dearth of male singers, personally i think many will agree, the versatality like SPB is not evident among any male singers , although most of them are good on their own, Thipu probably may be the one who may come close.

About fav. songs, it is likely that he chose or asked to chose from non IR compositions
About using old or senior singers, I think he gave very reasonable answer, he just didn't want to use those who have achieved a lot already so he and others ( new singers) can try to achieve just like the senior singers
About dad's advice, I think that was the best confident answer one can expect from a guy born to a genious , he never sounded or even hinted that his dad's advice was unnecessary or bad, it was really a more mature way that he simply answered, he would rather learn from his own mistakes than other's advice.
About praising other MD's, once again he clearly answered in a very matured way with no traces of any ego ( an altered "gene" from IR perhaps), he mentioned about dedication of ARR on every song or project he is involved with, just like how also praised YSR's workholism, dedication. He added another statement saying that's why their songs are liked by people a lot.
About Cassette/CD sales,
again very opt answer, he even mentions about Itunes and the way music business should benefit everyone not just one or two individuals, very true which is why piracy plagues.
And my impression about KR's recent 2 albums, absolutely fabulous, it's just sad he hasn't gotten the due recognition, about BGM as ramki mentioned, P geethai, ullasam, DDD, Kudaikkul Mazhai and recently the dud Mercury pookkal ( some astonishing BGM) have great scores to educate the entire current crop of MDs .
Sila kuraigal....
I think he is just plain simple Lazy or not very market savvy , but I see him liked by a select set of people , like the " Mac" lovers
I hope he turns around to bounce back like how Steve Jobs did with "IPOD"

venus05
11th July 2006, 08:19 AM
Sudhakarg:

Sirpi wrote the song "Malagale Nadhaswarnagal" in Kizhakka pogum Rail. He is a poet and he wrote several kaidhai thogoppu. His full name is Sirpi Balasubramaiam. He is a Tamil professor in Pollachi college.
Thanks.

MumbaiRamki
11th July 2006, 10:12 AM
Just one correction ..Mercury PokkaL BGM was done by Balabharathy ..
I forgot to emntion KudaikkuL Mazhai - Amazing !!!!

Sanjeevi
11th July 2006, 10:37 AM
Wov Federer in the first set

Yov Sanjeevi

Enna aachupa unakku ? this is not a sports thread :lol:

Namma Isainyani threaduppa :twisted:

Naan edit panni thappai sari panrathukulla quote pannitteya? :lol:

Naaz
11th July 2006, 06:52 PM
THE BEST OF ILAYARAJA AND A.R.RAHMAN

I am planning a special 2 hour radio programme on the BEST of IR and ARR in Tamizh and Hindi Films. The show (if all goes well) will be aired on 23rd July 2006 on :

www.citr.ca

8-10 pm PDT.

I could use all the help and input you can provide. Please drop me a line at naaz99@yahoo.com and I will be glad to tell you my requirements. Hope you can make this programme a success...I will check for your email messages all of this and next week. Thanks in advance.

Naaz

balaji
12th July 2006, 03:13 AM
Naaz

Good luck!

Not sure how you can accomplish this in 2 Hrs? Adhavuthu close to 20 songs + talk!

This means my guess would be, close to 14 IR songs and 6 ARR songs (to be fair to both).

Saadhiyama?

Bala

balaji
12th July 2006, 03:19 AM
Naaz

Mannithu Vidungal, Since Hindi SOngs as well, I believe this propotion be agreeable?

11 IR Tamil Song
Yeh Zindagi - From Sadma
4 - ARR Tamil Song
4 - ARR Hindi Song

Bala

Naaz
12th July 2006, 06:58 AM
balaji -

Thank you for the suggestions. I like the second ratio a lot more. My intention is to give both composers equal time and to keep the commentary basic and minimal. The music should speak volumes.

The current concept, before I change my mind, is this:

Hindi or Tamizh: Light Classical, Jazz-Ethnic Fusion, Folk, Contemporary Bollywood/Kollywood, Experimental/Mood.

My penchant is for solos, but I will happily embrace representative duets should they be stellar. The programme will NOT strive to be definitive in any sense (that would be foolishly ambitious) but rather would try to showcase the diversity of the MDs. The (local) audience for the show (demographics/statistically) is the Northern/Hindi/Punjabi community. However, as the show is webcast simultaneously, I hope to reach a wider audience, including the Tamil diaspora. Request: Spread the Word!!

Since the announcement this morning, I've had a great response from IR rasigars. I've also been helped with choice song files in my mailbox!

AV -

What can I say? We've got good taste!
I will keep your recommendations in mind, and will do my best to lift the proceedings a few clouds above sombre. Too much classical might be a bit stiff for the locals, but that doesn't mean that the show will be all jatka-matka. Let me assure you that the compilation will be divine without being monotonously pious!

Does anybody know where I might find (downloadable) songs from IRs Insaaf?

rajasaranam
12th July 2006, 12:27 PM
Naaz,

AFAIK Insaaf is not by IR :?
These are the few direct films IR did in hindi >>>
Sadma, Kaamagni, Mahadev, Aur EK Prem Kahani, Lajja, Divorce
and these are multi lingual >>>
HeyRam, Shiva and MX

Google Reveals that Insaaf a movie of 1997 has music by Anand Milind and Insaaf of 2003 has music by NikilVinay
IMDB Data's give around 6 movies titled Insaaf right from the 40's till the one released in 1987- a vinodh Kanna Starrer Music by Laxmikant Pyarelaal OR Is it that you are confusing with 'Mahadev' which is also a Vinodh Kanna starrer :?:

crvenky
12th July 2006, 05:34 PM
A. Balakrishnan (dir of Kamaraj) has announced his next film based on GK Moopanar's life history (source: Tamilcinema.com). Is IR doing it?

Naaz
12th July 2006, 06:14 PM
rajasaranam -
I remember seeing Insaaf and Mahadev around the same time (they were released one after the other?) and that is why I kept thinking Insaaf is by IR. Mahadev is the film I had in mind all along!!
Blame it on Vinod Khanna, and on my memory which is more of a sieve these days!Thanks to you, I will never confuse these two films again! I am glad for the correction!

Sanjeevi
12th July 2006, 07:06 PM
A. Balakrishnan (dir of Kamaraj) has announced his next film based on GK Moopanar's life history (source: Tamilcinema.com). Is IR doing it?

No, IR should not accept this

rajasaranam
12th July 2006, 07:23 PM

I heard he has already Accepted It :?

Sanjeevi
13th July 2006, 12:22 AM

I heard he has already Accepted It :?

It is enough to scroe BGM only.

gopiharan
13th July 2006, 07:57 AM
can some one give me the links where can i download the mp3 version of How to name it and Nothing but wind of IR?

balaji
13th July 2006, 09:32 PM
Naaz

"Mahadev" is a half-baked attempt. Anuradha Podhwal crooning for the hindi version of 'Andha Nilava naan' was un-shaikable. The Suresh-Wadkar/AB duet 'Rim Jim' was the sole saving grave in otherwise tamil-tunes recycled version.
There was one more SPB-SJ duet that was fast but less impressive.

Vinod Kanna was so mad during the song-recordings, it was told he wanted to replace the MD. How far this is true I am not sure. Romu Sippy who was impressed with IR-s work on Sadma (they produced the Hindi version ) stuck to his guns. I am sure he must have cursed himself for his decision.

IR in the first place should not have accepted the movie which I am sure was to cash the success of VK in his second run. Mahadev, the movie and the songs were a big flop.

Insaaf on the other hand was a huge hit those days.

My request: Please do not include this film's songs. Yeh Zindagi was/is great!

Bala

app_engine
13th July 2006, 11:50 PM
I thought the hindi version of `kaNNE kalai mAnE' was more tolerable than the hindi version of `poongAtRu'...The later lost its original spirit IMHO...(and on top of it, IR had the fun of importing that song in thambikku endha ooru)...

vem
14th July 2006, 12:39 AM
http://www.musicindiaonline.com/n/i/top%20stories/1839/

"Bollywood has no use for me " ---- IR

Nitya
14th July 2006, 05:38 AM
http://www.musicindiaonline.com/n/i/top%20stories/1839/

Right. With the exception of AR Rahman, I don't know if any South Indian MD has enjoyed the same respect in the North. I always find reviewers decrying any work by South Indian composers (any worthwhile composers anyway, NOT including YSR, Srikanth Deva or any of the likes) as too Southern. Methinks Southies are much more likely to respect North Indian music than Northies South Indian.

vem
14th July 2006, 08:07 AM
Nitya,
It is not that North Indians didnt have good MDs. When IR was at his peak, we South Indians didnt bother to listen to MDs such as MSV, SG etc (even though the question remains if they are as talented as IR - sorry to include MSV's name here. he was over the hill already in the late 70s except for a few great hits)

Unfortuantely for IR, that was not the case in Bollywood.
It had its favorite son RD (who was just prolific in giving amazing hits). It also had Rajesh Roshan, Kalyanji-Anandji, Laxmi-Pyare etc etc.

Now, the Hindi Film music doesnt have the same class as these MDs. So, they dont have a choice but to listen to ARR. And IR also no longer produces the same quality of songs as he used to in the 80s.

But things could change with the RGV film, and Balakrishnan movie :)

MumbaiRamki
14th July 2006, 09:27 AM
[quote]http://www.musicindiaonline.com/n/i/top%20stories/1839/

Can somebody paste the contents of article?im unable to access that website.

gopiharan
14th July 2006, 10:39 AM
njv, what happened to RGV's shiva? when is getting releaseed or at least the songs? it was said somewhere in may30 it's getting released?

vem
14th July 2006, 10:45 AM
[tscii:6575cedc31]musicindiaonline article
"
Ilaiyaraaja is one composer and writer who stands out for his musical articulacy and is a genius in his realm. He has moved one and all with his compositions that make people speechless. And it is modesty in his comprehensive nature in spite of his achievement that touches your heart. He is one of the foremost composers who have so far scored music for about 840 films comprising South and Hindi film industry. His other achievements include composing music for Meenakshi Sthothram in Sanskrit, carnatic keertanas and varnams titled Raja Lahari, albums like How to name it, Nothing But Wind and the musical score for Miss World 1996 pageant. He was also the first Asian to compose Symphony No. 1 with the Royal Philharmonic Orchestra of London. He has been the recipient of many national and international awards. He has contributed towards steering film music into a new direction, infusing technology while keeping the melody alive, drawing inspiration from folk, jazz, carnatic, rock and western classical.

After long he forwards his step towards Bollywood once again with the music of producer Sunil Manchanda’s film. The film is being directed by R Balakrishnan and Ilaiyaraaja was the unanimous choice in his mind for the music of his film. On asked why he doesn’t compose more frequently here, he says “Bollywood has no use for me.”
"[/tscii:6575cedc31]

Osho
14th July 2006, 11:30 AM
gopiharan, I did saw a song as a promo in one of the channel. Sounded nice and the label i guess is TSeries.

rajdes
14th July 2006, 12:48 PM
verm, have to disagree. In fact, 80's was the leanest period of Hindi Film Music. You can see the effect even now - most compilations released by HMV and like, say Best oF Asha Bhonsle, Best of RDBurman etc are likely to contain a very low % of 80's songs. And it is not just these 2 artistes. 80'- early 90's were the lowest phase of HFM. L-P were doing monotonous beats(especially) and recycled tunes. RDB had faded out. Two-bit Ghazals(anything went here including the intolerable Jagjit singh), and ofcourse, Bappida's disco meejic were the in-things. Refershing music like QSQT et al were sporadic. Things only started to change with the arrival of ARR, Vishal Bharadwaj(grossly underused by Bollywood, unsurprisingly), S-E-L etc. Also, the Jatin Lalit type music, though not a patch on IR-ARR, were popular and musicals were made on their baton (to an extent, they did manage good stuff initially). ARR became a big-name amid all this.

ARR had to deal with the popularity of Kumar Sany, Nadeem-Shravan et al. Sacriligeous as it sounds, these guys were quite popular - however nauseating their music was(in Sany's case, nose-ating). So much so that I had a terrible argument with a Sanu-fan here in TFMPAGE - he wouldnt let go until I said "Sanu's voice was the greatest thing created since Eve" :-). Those guys were straight dismissive of ARR(imagine - Kumar Sanu fans bad-mouthing IR, ARR etc - does it get lower than that?).

That said, it doesnt take an iota of greatness away from IR that he couldnt succeed in Bollywood. Anyone who thinks so is a fool.

Sanjeevi
14th July 2006, 01:57 PM
It is not true IR couldn't succeed in Bollywood. In other word we may say he did not try much or did not want Bollywood victory. :wink:

rajasaranam
14th July 2006, 04:00 PM
I thought the hindi version of `kaNNE kalai mAnE' was more tolerable than the hindi version of `poongAtRu'...The later lost its original spirit IMHO...(and on top of it, IR had the fun of importing that song in thambikku endha ooru)...

Yeh Zindagi :!: Come On AE enna ithu sirupullaithanama irukku that was a great Composition which gets aired in hindi channels even now without many of them knowing its by IR. Ismail Durbar Asserted in a show that This song was best ever composition in HFM :huh:

rajasaranam
14th July 2006, 04:03 PM
[tscii:a55b428f75]

Can somebody paste the contents of article?im unable to access that website.

Ilaiyaraaja is one composer and writer who stands out for his musical articulacy and is a genius in his realm. He has moved one and all with his compositions that make people speechless. And it is modesty in his comprehensive nature in spite of his achievement that touches your heart. He is one of the foremost composers who have so far scored music for about 840 films comprising South and Hindi film industry. His other achievements include composing music for Meenakshi Sthothram in Sanskrit, carnatic keertanas and varnams titled Raja Lahari, albums like How to name it, Nothing But Wind and the musical score for Miss World 1996 pageant. He was also the first Asian to compose Symphony No. 1 with the Royal Philharmonic Orchestra of London. He has been the recipient of many national and international awards. He has contributed towards steering film music into a new direction, infusing technology while keeping the melody alive, drawing inspiration from folk, jazz, carnatic, rock and western classical.

After long he forwards his step towards Bollywood once again with the music of producer Sunil Manchanda’s film. The film is being directed by R Balakrishnan and Ilaiyaraaja was the unanimous choice in his mind for the music of his film. On asked why he doesn’t compose more frequently here, he says “Bollywood has no use for me.” [/tscii:a55b428f75]

rajdes
14th July 2006, 04:09 PM
Sanjeevi, that's a debate for another day. But can we say ARR has been unequivocably succesful in HFM, which IR, for whatever reasons, wasn't?
I think we cannot be in denial. I argue that this takes nothing away from IR as a musician - simply saying that he wasnt a commercially viable MD ever in Hindi is not a slur. Just another quirky fact. Take an analogy - MSV had some outstanding Telugu albums but he was never the colossal phenomenon that Raja was in Telugu. Infact, KVM was more commercially succesful in Telugu than MSV.Does that take anything away from MSV? Just to counter that, should I say MSV never tried to be big in telugu?

Salil Chowdhury was never a commercial giant in *any* language. Would you deny his position in the Top 5 composers ever of IFM? These things just happen and there is no need to be ashamed of these quirky facts, IMO.

rajdes
14th July 2006, 04:13 PM
North is north. South is south. The twain shall never meet. So it seems to me. Most NI Fans I know swear by "Ae Zindagi" and mock at the lack of tune in "Poongatru". Vice-versa. Well, atleast this proves Sanjeevi's assertion in part. Namely that IR had it in him to understand and deliver customised solutions for NI audience as he proved here by astutely changing the tune for Poongatru situation. Wonder how this happened? I'd like to believe that it is IR's genius that he recognised the potential of "Kanne Kalaimaane" to succeed as it is and the need to change "Poongatru".

Bah! I should have been a lawyer - I can argue for any side :-)

app_engine
14th July 2006, 09:07 PM
rs, ennavO pOnga, `hindhi channels', '`Ismail Durbar' mAdhiri PERIYA MANUSHANGA munnAl, nAn uNmaiyil `siru piLLai' dhanungO...

While `moondRam piRai' the movie and songs are so dear to me personally, unga considerations padi pArthAlum, it's a fact that `moondRam piRai' was a commercially and critically acclaimed success while sadhma sunk without a trace...

It's very difficult for me to accept an inferior song in place of the great `poongAtRu pudhidhAnadhu', which IMHO was so futuristic. I think Raja used natural wind instrument layers over modern innovative sounds in that song while yeh zindagi had all cheap keyboard sounds.

The only disadvantage for `poongAtRu' is probably the mono recording. I still cannot understand why Raja didn't have stereophonic recording for `poongAtRu' and `vAnengum' while he got `kaNNE kalaimAnE' and `ponmEni'in stereo:-( I think during that period he was very busy and didn't care much about such aspects...One can see him flip-flopping between mono and stereo, and in some cases even within the same album like this one...

app_engine
14th July 2006, 10:08 PM
http://www.hindu.com/fr/2006/07/14/stories/2006071400710100.htm

A modest effort finely rewarded (rasa thandhram is a blackbuster)...

natha1729
14th July 2006, 11:40 PM
I am not sure of any of Raaja' hindi songs, except for Chaahungi Tumko & Pyaar Vyaar Super Hit Hai in Chhaila(which I find are the most Hindi and most modern of all Hindi songs), unbelievable but hear it closely and that fantastic Holi song in Mahaadev.

All other songs of IR sound contrived in Hindi, including the biggest hit of IR, a Ravindra Jain like Pallavi called Yeh Zindagi - everything in this song is pure fooling the public.

I used to think that IR was not good enough for Hindi, but I began to understand that IR did not care to stand out there. The most critical audience is Kerala and there you cannot pass of a Hindi tune or even a Tamil tune and call it successfull.

Raaja stood out with solid compositions in Malayalam, so it is nothing to to with Raaja not being good in the lighter but definitely melody oriented Hindi idiom.Karthik Raaja was more comfortable and gave more mature tunes in the idiom and that was seen in Grahan.

IR' strength is in making the ordinary tune extraordinary without any effort (Poonkatru Pudhiranuthu or Ponmeni Uruguthey.) Any other composer will not dare or even lower to the strategy of spitting out ordinary tunes, but only IR can do that, becuase most of his creativity lies in the melody for the orchestration.

Re, Ismail Durbar and Yeh Zindagi? I had also read one super article just about this song in one of the Bombay film mags!!! But, in my opinion this song sounded more at home in Tamil, I don't know why (maybe not much focus of melodiousness), though the idiom is Hindi

Osho
15th July 2006, 12:11 AM
app_engine,
I guess, moondram pirai stands a testimony to IR's amazing honesty to the script. Listen how each song fits to the script. Vaanengum thanga vinmeengal, Kanne kalaimaane, poongatru and even the nari song were outstanding. Forget the re-recording for the whole film. I think, the tunes were made to be simpler and the orchestration complex, just to create the apt mood. However, am not sure of the fact about Vaanengum thanga vinmeengal, that was a bolt from heaven. Outstanding delivery by both SPB and IR. Special mention has to go to S.J for crooning Ponmeni, with out her the song would have gone to gutter.

kiru
15th July 2006, 12:30 AM
Guys..am I confused..yEh zindagi is 'en vaazhvilE varum anbE vaa, kannE vaa nilaa mugam kandEn vaa'. right ? Not poongaRRu ... This one is made for guitar, very western so don't look for the 'tune' (as in Indian music). It is surely a good tune in a different paradigm.
Also, I dont know what you mean by the hindi songs are contrived. I thought all IR's hindi songs were really well done in terms of production/engineering and sound like a 'well-finished' product whereas many IR tamil films songs were (and sadly sometimes still are) seem to be done in a rush.If you ask me, IR overestimated the taste of Hindi audience with really classy output.

rprasad
15th July 2006, 01:02 AM
Guys, If you are not sure if IR would not have succeded in Hindi movies just listen to Hey Ram , the songs actually sound better in Hindi than in Tamil. That was outstanding output which actually clicked in North as well( songs i mean not the movie). So IR was extremly capable of succeding in Hindi as well. but the fact was at his peak he was too busy in South and would never have been able to devote time for Hindi. This is unlike ARR who chooses his assignments regardless of language and is able to focus equally on all his assignment. I think this was the main reason for IR not succeeding in Hindi.

app_engine
15th July 2006, 03:19 AM
Kiru, yes you're right - `en vAzhvilEy' of Thambikku endha ooru is Raja's recycle of `yEh zindagi' of Sadma.

What I wrote was about my complaints of `yEh zingagi' not a worthy replacement of `poongAtRu'. Remember, Sadma is the Hindi flop adaptation of the successful Tamil moondRAm piRai. Raja changed the tune and parts of orchestration for this `ooty-kamal-sridevi-jolly' song. To me `poongAtRu' is very original, fresh and charming and sugar standard. `yEh zindagi' iluppaippoo...

kiru
16th July 2006, 06:22 AM
...This is unlike ARR who chooses his assignments regardless of language and is able to focus equally on all his assignment. I think this was the main reason for IR not succeeding in Hindi.

Could be one of the reasons. I feel ARR's rhythms being non-Indian, it may not have the 'south-Indian' tinge IR's tunes have. Also, the 'carnatic'/south-indian flavor might be still stuck in IR's tunes being a hard-core 'son-of-the-soil' natural composer he is. He may not like to 'change' colors. The north-indian audience might be sensitive to this.

kiru
16th July 2006, 06:25 AM
Kiru, yes you're right - `en vAzhvilEy' of Thambikku endha ooru is Raja's recycle of `yEh zindagi' of Sadma.

What I wrote was about my complaints of `yEh zingagi' not a worthy replacement of `poongAtRu'. ....

app_engine, Agreed, poongARRu is in a different league.

(BTW, I am listening to IR's italy concert with Uttam Singh. And Singhji having been with IR for quite sometime (10yrs ?) even his tunes have south indian flavor. Check out his few hindi compositions)

krish244
17th July 2006, 12:37 PM
I saw a new trailer of SHIVA on the television channels with different back ground music. Unfortunately could not hear the sound well. So, no comments.

I also happened to watch a song from the movie. "Botony class undu" has been rehashed with different orchestration (tune is same). I dont think this is the song that was picturised in Bangkok as this song takes place in a coffee shop/hotel.

thanks,

Krishnan

buggle
17th July 2006, 07:41 PM
Article about IR, it says IR busy in Hindi and Telugu

http://thatstamil.oneindia.in/specials/cinema/specials/illaiyaraja_1.html

altruist
17th July 2006, 09:26 PM
When the movie "SHIVA" is getting released?

Hulkster
18th July 2006, 06:45 AM
Altruist Varma said it will be screened in July in some international festival, most probably a preview. The movie is pending for a late july or early august release. Probably before September is what we can confirm.

I dunt think the songs will be looked into too much..from what i see the BGM is what IR will be working on and knowing North Indians...they dunt really bother abt BGM..:cry:

krish244
18th July 2006, 11:32 AM
Promos of SHIVA are already been shown in different channels (MTV, Channel V, Sahara ONE, etc). As per the promos the movie will be released on Aug 18th.

thanks,

Krishnan

Hulkster
18th July 2006, 11:49 AM
Yeaps...i think we should be looking forward to cheeni Kum more....Shiva will not into songs alot...the BGM is the only thing we can look out for...is the promo placed in any websites.?

krish244
18th July 2006, 02:03 PM
IR prefers "Cheeni Kum":

http://www.indiaglitz.com/channels/hindi/article/23814.html

thanks,

Krishnan

Hulkster
18th July 2006, 03:02 PM
"Maybe the people here are scared of approaching me"

Bayam irukaatha pinna..if IR shows his talent in bollywood consistently he will get noticed by hollywood and internationally as well and even more critically acclaimed than ARR due to his knowledge, speed of output and quality in various genres. Even ARR getting noticed does not seem to be favoured well by all north indians...if it is IR whom they ignore always it will be like telling south indians have more quality than north indians..

app_engine
18th July 2006, 11:59 PM
Rajavukku eppO kObam varum?
http://www.kumudam.com/magazine/Kumudam/2006-07-19/pg9.php

This says KR is still in `koottu kudumbam'...

vem
19th July 2006, 12:58 AM
if the movie is going to come out next month, when is the music going to get released ? after the movie release :)

i dont know if the movie has any songs in it ?

regardless, he has to atleast release the background music ?

MADDY
19th July 2006, 02:14 AM
"Maybe the people here are scared of approaching me"

Bayam irukaatha pinna..if IR shows his talent in bollywood consistently he will get noticed by hollywood and internationally as well and even more critically acclaimed than ARR due to his knowledge, speed of output and quality in various genres. Even ARR getting noticed does not seem to be favoured well by all north indians...

hulk, y shhuld Northies prefer ARR to succeed and not IR?? ARR is also a tamilian.......it was ARR music's global appeal that took him places.....

second statement is partly right, bollywood critics do not seem to have a liking for ARRahman......but general public, trust me guys, have great respect for ARR.....they just adore him.....infact, i've always felt ARR gets better respect in north than in south.....anything above Hyderabad is ARR's regime.....

heard the chor-police song from Shiva today, it seriously reminded me of "pattu nila" from valter vetrivel........dont u think guys.....but it sounded very much like a RGV movie song......

Renault
19th July 2006, 07:53 AM
Maddy,

ARR's music was very well received in the north coz, he uses the optimum combo of sufi/ghazal type of tunes that very well goes with their taste.

I remember once watching an interview of a lesser known lyric writer, who wrote for "Udhaya Udhaya". He said that Rahman called him mentioning that he has a wonderful ghazal-like tune requesting for the lyrics.

That song was good, but didn't go well with the tamil audience coz the taste is different. Tamil audiences have a totally different taste.

Summing up we have different ears to music and the northies have different ears to music and Rahman is very much in his own territory in offering the music the northies like, it is like a Michael Schumacher driving in the French Grand prix :).

Hulkster
19th July 2006, 08:02 AM
Maddy..Shiva songs wunt be anything to look into even though i have not heard them as knowing IR...he will be more inspired by the BGM then the songs. The chances of the fans looking into the film songs is the same as salman khan stopping his usual activity of flexing his muscles.

Well i actually think ARR sounds more attractive in the north due to his willingness to deviate his style of music making while IR does not compromise on changing his music to suit bollywood tastes(racey ghazals and peppy sounding numbers are hated by IR). but anyway..im looking forward to cheeni kum more than anything else..:D

vasanth2006
19th July 2006, 12:05 PM
Maddy,

ARR's music was very well received in the north coz, he uses the optimum combo of sufi/ghazal type of tunes that very well goes with their taste.

I remember once watching an interview of a lesser known lyric writer, who wrote for "Udhaya Udhaya". He said that Rahman called him mentioning that he has a wonderful ghazal-like tune requesting for the lyrics.

That song was good, but didn't go well with the tamil audience coz the taste is different. Tamil audiences have a totally different taste.

Summing up we have different ears to music and the northies have different ears to music and Rahman is very much in his own territory in offering the music the northies like, it is like a Michael Schumacher driving in the French Grand prix :).

Exactly renault. Northies and southies have different taste. that is the fact. Northies always like gazal, hindustani, sufi type of music or fusion of these or fusion of these genre with western. southies always like carnatic, western, folk or fusion of these things.

my assumption on northies that they wont like carnatic based or tamil folk based songs. southis wont like pure gazals.

if u mix or fusion the both genres (south and north) with correct proportion, then it will like by both of them.

ARR knows the exact taste of both south and north. He gives exact music to the exact people. u can see the clear difference between his HFM and TFM music styles. he cleverly mixes the different genres. He succeed.

IR style is diff. northies unable to digest this maestros style of composition. his classic WCM style of orchastration, tamil folk, carnatic+folk, carnatic+western classical is new to them.
If raja slightly changed his style of music, he could have succeed more in HFM.

krish244
19th July 2006, 02:56 PM
One of the several news items about IR being in Bombay for recording "Cheeni Kum" songs:

http://in.news.yahoo.com/060713/48/65vej.html

thanks,

Krishnan

altruist
19th July 2006, 07:27 PM
Thanks for the link krish..

MADDY
19th July 2006, 08:50 PM
Well i actually think ARR sounds more attractive in the north due to his willingness to deviate his style of music making while IR does not compromise on changing his music to suit bollywood tastes(racey ghazals and peppy sounding numbers are hated by IR)

it is highly unfair to call ARR deviated his style of music and IR didnt......ARR had one style of music in 90's and it was global........anyone from Chennai to New York cud have enjoyed it.....its just that northies enjoyed it more than tamilians......

aruvi
19th July 2006, 09:28 PM
Actually, I have to agree with Hulkster.

Although ARR started off with music that had western influence (pop genre), the sound was very Indian, and he and it wasn't too different. The music of ARR from 92-95 is very different, and then there was that lull period for some years, and I believe his music has gone through a lot of change.

Post late 90s, I am sure everyone could enjoy his music. But before that, his songs were very regional oriented. Lots of albums that were a huge hit in the South, failed to attract the North. Not so much global appeal there. Of course, this is in general.

IR never shifted much in his music. He has reduced using violins etc and gone for computerized instrumentation, e.g Pithamagan. But the melody is there, the orchestration follows his set pattern. The good songs are there, the crappy songs are there. It's just that, these days, the crappy songs outnumber the good ones. For both music directors:-)

Dragun
19th July 2006, 10:34 PM
That is true. ARR did quite a few villagey folk-oriented films in the 92-95 period. He didn't seem quite at home in this genre like IR was, but ARR did some interesting things with the genre.

Pithamagan did have orchestration (the fantastic opening to Adadaa, some string parts in Elangaathu, probably some others). I like albums like Pithamagan and Mumbai Xpress more than that last Fazil film he did. Can't even remember the name.

MADDY
20th July 2006, 01:01 AM
Actually, I have to agree with Hulkster.

Although ARR started off with music that had western influence (pop genre), the sound was very Indian, and he and it wasn't too different. The music of ARR from 92-95 is very different, and then there was that lull period for some years, and I believe his music has gone through a lot of change.

yes ARR's music has always undergone changes but for his own interests and his fans' interests and not to impress any Bollywood badshah.......lull period in 90's for ARR?? i couldnt see any.......infact 96,97,98 saw Kadhal desam, Iruvar,Dil se,Minsara kanavu.....u cud say he has gone into lull after Rythm maybe.....

Post late 90s, I am sure everyone could enjoy his music. But before that, his songs were very regional oriented. Lots of albums that were a huge hit in the South, failed to attract the North. Not so much global appeal there. Of course, this is in general.

92-95, he gave Roja, which, according to Hindustan times has changed the face of Bollywood music......he gave Muqabla which was copied 6 times in hindi, Chandralekha was broadcast in MTV world (in 93).......he has used Global sounds rite from his early days.....u can see Tamil cassettes of ARR from 92-00' in many north indian houses still now.....

and ARR's success in HFM is a phenomenon which will not occur again and again......if it so easy then YSR shuld do it half-sleeping.......

well so much abt ARR in IR's section......bye :wave:

buggle
20th July 2006, 02:19 AM
and ARR's success in HFM is a phenomenon which will not occur again and again......if it so easy then YSR shuld do it half-sleeping.......

well so much abt ARR in IR's section......bye :wave:

dont know why YSR came into this topic???

aruvi
20th July 2006, 10:58 AM
Maddy,

I don't want to discuss ARR in IR's thread, either, but in response to your statements.

First you are contradicting your earlier statement, it seems. You had said Rahman has had only one style since 90's and it was global. That was what I disagreed with.

Then you admit his music has always undergone changes....

The change in his music is for universal appeal. And that is understandable, since he was/is reaching out to a different audience.

He had a long lull period during the late 90's. Since I was a big fan, I followed pretty much every article I could find about him and his music right till, maybe 2000. Kadhal desam, Iruvar,Dil se,Minsara kanavu...these films had hit songs, but barring Dilse, they received mixed reception. Iruvar, especially, had low sales, comparitively. But there are some IR fans who still think IR's music never dropped in popularity, this is like that.

"Although ARR started off with music that had western influence (pop genre), the sound was very Indian, and he and it wasn't too different."

I said that to make sure that the point of him having a global sound integrated in his music from the start. But then, there was a huge Indianness to it. Roja was a national hit. The sounds of Roja were totally different but very much appealing all over India. The song "Muqqabula" was a huge hit, yes, but in TN, all the songs of Kadhalan were a big hit. And frankly, Roja did not change the face of Bollywood music. For many years later, they churned out inane music, and none could have that ARR signature at that time. But then, everyone brought in the technical advancements and music has changed, all over India. Even a Western music genius like IR has stopped using violin orchestras, real instruments.

But if this is your argument, then IR has been copied numerous times by Bollywood. Of the top of my head, his song "Oh Priya Priya" a huge hit at that time, was copied. I am sure if IR was starting out in 92 instead of 76, and we had the same media, then he would have had his song played:-) Not to take away ARR's credit, he is a genius. And I have not been to many North Indian persons houses...so I wouldn't know. But most of the people I grew up here with and are friends can identify and know the likes of Roja, Rangeela, Taal, Dilse, Lagaan etc, but Vanchikotta Chinnarasu, Pudhyia Mugam, Thiruda Thirudi, Duet, Karuthamma...I don't think so.

What has YSR got to do with this? At the moment, he is the most popular MD in TN. Yes, I don't care for his music but hmmm...what to do:-)

krish244
20th July 2006, 05:30 PM
Says bollywood lyricist Sameer is working with IR (and also with Kamal and Singeetham Srinivasa Rao's Maaya Bazaar).

But indha page title'a paarthadhum ("Now sameer goes south") gadhi kalangi poitten!!! :) Just to confirm that he is not by any chance writing "tamil" lyrics, I visited the page. He is working on all hindi versions of the respective movies! :)

http://hindi.galatta.com/entertainment/livewire/hindi/livewire/id/4940/news/sameer.html

thanks,

Krishnan

krish244
20th July 2006, 05:34 PM
BTW, posted the below link in "Cheeni Kum" thread.

http://ww3.mid-day.com/news/city/2006/july/140645.htm

It says "Cheeni Kum" & "SHIVA" will have old IR hits rehashed.

thanks,

Krishnan

MADDY
20th July 2006, 06:37 PM
BTW, posted the below link in "Cheeni Kum" thread.

It says "Cheeni Kum" & "SHIVA" will have old IR hits rehashed.

thanks,

Krishnan

no wonder, chor-police song seemed like "pattu nila mettu edathu" song of valter vetrivel.......hope his bgms are as always fresh....

aruvi, check ur PM :D

aruvi
20th July 2006, 07:32 PM
Maddy,
Chk ur pm.

balaji
20th July 2006, 08:11 PM
After so much Hype, IR recycles his old tunes.

Enna Kovamo engal mel.

On second thought, seeing his so called new tunes, the recycled ones may sound better. (cha! indha IR fanoda Bane-ye idhu dhan. We never stop expecting inspite of he consistently disappointing!)

Bala

popeye11
20th July 2006, 09:02 PM
Maddy where did u listen to the song from SHIVA

Chor - Police ?

rajasaranam
20th July 2006, 09:18 PM
hmmm :? so these two directors decided Raja cant give anything new and settled with Recycling his old tunes. They could've called Anand Milind to do that stuff. Highly Disappointing :(

rajasaranam
20th July 2006, 09:36 PM
Can't even imagine anybody else singing the tune of Mandram vandha thendralukku :oops: nobody can do justice to that tune except SPB :huh:
And Icant think Of Kuzhal oothum kannanukku in hindi its very original and native southie tune. Dont know how its gonna fit in that movie. Shoudn't MSV Be credited for this songs Tune :mrgreen:
All my hopes have drained down Balki and RGV shoudn't have done this to Us Fans :notthatway:
hmmm polamba vittutaangalae :argh:

aruvi
21st July 2006, 01:13 AM
Two, rather slow songs. I can't imagine them being done justice.

Why can't they let Raja do some original songs. It's not like he can't, I think that the creative atmosphere is lacking in today's film music scene.

Kuzhaloothum Kannannukku in this day and age?!

vem
21st July 2006, 02:02 AM
To me it is an insult to IR !!!

I expected some Jazz stuff as in Mumbai xpress..... some modern stuff.

Kuzhaloothum ---- a good melodious song while hitting the hay - definitely not at all a choice in parties or trips :)

IR's songs can be heard alone with lot of concentration. But then when one goes out partying, all we need is a Deva types of songs :)

The album may be a hit to all IR fans just like us. But commercially, thru out India, I dont know how far the sales are going to be - indirectly affecting the success of the movie.

I would rather that IR had'nt signed for these movies. I think that he is just going to get the brush off this time too from North Indian music fans.

My 2 cents funda.

vem
21st July 2006, 02:02 AM
To me it is an insult to IR !!!

I expected some Jazz stuff as in Mumbai xpress..... some modern stuff.

Kuzhaloothum ---- a good melodious song while hitting the hay - definitely not at all a choice in parties or trips :)

IR's songs can be heard alone with lot of concentration. But then when one goes out partying, all we need is a Deva types of songs :)

The album may be a hit to all IR fans just like us. But commercially, thru out India, I dont know how far the sales are going to be - indirectly affecting the success of the movie.

I would rather that IR had'nt signed for these movies. I think that he is just going to get the brush off this time too from North Indian music fans.

My 2 cents funda.

MADDY
21st July 2006, 05:25 AM
Maddy where did u listen to the song from SHIVA

Chor - Police ?

i saw it on MTV man.....

kiru
21st July 2006, 05:31 AM
I had a vague suspicion Balki might do this, because of his obsession with old songs of IR. Maybe they dont want to take any 'risks' :-) . This is okay with me, as long as, the album is considered a hit and IR gets more chances in hindi. Hopefully, they new environment will inspire and challenge him, in future. I also have a feeling that Balki will 'product manage' the output very well and will make sure the style is acceptable to the north indian audience. He is after all a business savvy person.

12bums
21st July 2006, 08:46 AM
A further disappointment is that RGV was supposed to premiere Shiva at the NY Asian Film Festival:

http://www.cinemastrikesback.com/?p=1202

But apparently he did not:

http://www.subwaycinema.com/frames/nyaff06films.htm

The trailer had an awesome bgm from what I could make out from the low quality sound - a base layer of steady drumming with accompanying instruments that ebbed and flowed depending on the mood of the scene being shown!

Well guys, there are so many good things that could have happened with this movie for IR and his fans - a few original songs and a New York Premiere, but neither happened! Let's hope that the movie is atleast well marketed and becomes a hit. A few websites say that it is going to be released the week after the SRK starrer Kabhi Alvida Na Kehna in August, but we are yet to see any significant promos - trailers, album releases, websites etc. I am beginning to wonder...

rajdes
21st July 2006, 09:13 AM
Well, the idea is not bad. After all, quite a few of us have been crying out loud for IR himself to re-do his old tunes with better recording etc. The choice of songs, though, is baffling. Kuzhaloodhum Kannanukku for the consumption of North audience? Mandram Vandha is more of an orchestral melody. Just sing this and see "Thaamarai Mele..small pause...neer thuli pol...". Hardly any tune there right? The beauty of the song was the orcehstration, choice of situation, the emotion and ofcourse, SPB. I mean, SPB.

However, jothe jotheyalli is a good choice for the Hindi audience. For those who dont know, it is the same as "Vizhiyilae, mani Vizhiyil" from Nooravadhu Naal. Just as I typed the first line of this paragraph, I realised that this song isnt as great a hit in Tamil as the other two. Maybe, that explains why it sounds like a better choice for the north :-)

krish244
21st July 2006, 12:56 PM
Now that we know its going to be IR's hits recycled, all I look forward is:

1) Well orchestrated songs (no synth stuff please).
2) Good/decent singing with good lyrics.
3) Good preludes/interludes
4) Atleast two-three songs needs to be picturised well & should not be cut from the movie (like what happened to the only melodious song in MX :) )

I dont know if the choice of singers are only what has been mentioned in that article. I really hope its more than that..especially male singers. Why not use Udit (he is certainly good for hindi), Sonu Nigam and couple of other good singers. Also, he should see if he can use Sunidhi Chauhan. Also, IR should have control over their singing. For example, I somewhat liked Sonu's singing of "Poo Poothadhu" (tamil version), but I did not like his way of improvising the hindi version.

Whatever...

thanks,

Krishnan

raja_fan
21st July 2006, 12:59 PM
Kuzhaloodhum.... in Hindi ?? !!
Vera tune-e kedaikaliyaa ? Nalla vandhu Vaachaanungappaa namma IRukkunnu ! Jalraa adikka theriyudhe thavira tune select panna theriyala !

rajasaranam
21st July 2006, 01:19 PM
Kuzhaloodhum.... in Hindi ?? !!
Vera tune-e kedaikaliyaa ? Nalla vandhu Vaachaanungappaa namma IRukkunnu ! Jalraa adikka theriyudhe thavira tune select panna theriyala !
:rotfl:

umaramesh
21st July 2006, 05:20 PM
Shoudn't MSV Be credited for this songs Tune

Rajasaranam thanks :lol:

But I am very much disappointed with this news. Hope BGM will be original.

ramesh

Naaz
23rd July 2006, 12:02 AM
To All:

A reminder:

Sunday, 23rd July 2006

A selection of Fine Tunes by IR & ARR

on

www.citr.ca

8-10 pm (PDT) (Monday Morning in India.)

The programme is webcast. Click on Listen Live when you log on to the site.

Spread the word!!

Naaz

aruvi
23rd July 2006, 10:32 AM
Below are two links that might interest IR fans.

First, is an interview to Screen magazine:

http://www.screenindia.com/fullstory.php?content_id=13039

Second, a detailed anecdote of his first film song recording for Anakkili, his debut film number:

http://www.screenindia.com/fullstory.php?content_id=13040

Sanjeevi
23rd July 2006, 10:12 PM
thanks aruvi

kj
23rd July 2006, 11:09 PM
Raja seems to be in a very relaxed mood in the interview.It was interesting reading it. And Raaja in mumbai seems to be the talk of the town...i mean almost all major news guys have covered his presence in mumbai.
Thanx aruvi

rajdes
24th July 2006, 03:51 AM
Well,I managed to catch the trailer on Hindi Music channels. The chor-police song actually is nothing but Botany class undi...the jagada jagada refrain replaced by "Chor-Police". Doenst resemble Pattu Nilaa much, though the pattu nilaa opening phrase, I used to think, was close to the jagada jagada refrain. Being close is not the same as being the same :-)

Sanjeevi
24th July 2006, 09:41 AM
Well interview of IR. It seems there are no many recycle tunes. It may be 2 or 3 songs from both movies.

krish244
24th July 2006, 01:09 PM
I heard one more song from the movie "SHIVA" (titled "Shapat"). Although it was a fresh tune (i have not heard it before atleast), it had the stamp of IR's usual sad/melancholy tune. Starts something like "Tune kya diya ... paya...khoya" etc. Surprise ... surprise...surprise...its sung by IR himself. If I am not wrong, this is the first time IR is singing a hindi song! I was always sceptical as how IR would sound (pronounce) in hindi. Surprisingly, he pronounced the words quite decently.

As per all the news, now it seems SHIVA will have more original songs than CHEENI KUM :) Lets see...we have heard only two songs so far. 4 more to come out. Lets see.

thanks,

Krishnan

rajasaranam
24th July 2006, 06:00 PM
I heard one more song from the movie "SHIVA" (titled "Shapat"). Although it was a fresh tune (i have not heard it before atleast), it had the stamp of IR's usual sad/melancholy tune. Starts something like "Tune kya diya ... paya...khoya" etc. Surprise ... surprise...surprise...its sung by IR himself. If I am not wrong, this is the first time IR is singing a hindi song! I was always sceptical as how IR would sound (pronounce) in hindi. Surprisingly, he pronounced the words quite decently.
Krishnan
:bluejump: :redjump: :bluejump: reflief :oops: Listened to the song in MTV. Though the song had IR stamp it was very much fitting in to northie sad songs tune style too. atleast the part ' thoone kya paaya thaa toone kya khoya thaa' was pucca north style. Well the surprise is IR not only sounds decent! but it was excellent pronounciation compared to the northies butchering southern languages :)
As in an earlier interview of RGV they were shooting some songs in Bangkok for which he said IR's music is too contemporary hope this is also a new song and treat for us :thumbsup:
Now Iam looking forward to Shiva more than cheenikum :thumbsup:

rajasaranam
24th July 2006, 09:04 PM
I stumbled upon this link accidentally
http://www.raaga.com/channels/hindi/movie/V000373.html
The compilation is of patriotic songs and the 3rd song in list sung by kamal is composed by Raja [note: actually the urls are mixed up and the 2nd song sung by HH and the 3rd song by KH are interchanged ]
The 6th and 7th nos. are composed by KarthickRaja...
Any idea of from which album these songs are taken or was it composed exclusively for this compilation :?
I liked KR's song better than IR's from this compilation :) Though the song had IR's stamp all over it, may be the quality of the file didn't get me the song in full 8-)

rajasaranam
24th July 2006, 09:12 PM
Another link of the long awaited TTLS
http://www.welgategroup.com/cinemafox.html
I have high hopes for the BGM of this movie and this never seems to be released :(

vem
26th July 2006, 01:28 AM
IR's interview on musicindiaonline

http://www.musicindiaonline.com/ar/i/music_director/504/3/general/1/

Find out what he says about ARR ------ very vague :)

MADDY
26th July 2006, 02:39 AM
A.R.Rahman was your assistant later. How do you rate him as a composer?

Rahman was a keyboardist with me. I do not think that I was his teacher too in the classical sense. Rahman is doing good work - but he has been made to do a lot of things that give people a wrong impression of his music

i guess he means that ARR can give music beyond loops/synthesisers but he is made to give computer music bcos of market pressure.......

if my assumption is rite above, then nowadays, IR is in a big way acknowledging ARR's ability as a class MD :clap:

rajasaranam
26th July 2006, 02:36 PM
i guess he means that ARR can give music beyond loops/synthesisers but he is made to give computer music bcos of market pressure.......
if my assumption is rite above, then nowadays, IR is in a big way acknowledging ARR's ability as a class MD :clap:

Exactly :) That is only grouse Raja had on ARR all these days. If ARR comes out of that he can do wonders like wat he did for BOSE Lagaan Swades Meenaxi etc., :thumbsup:

venus05
27th July 2006, 11:17 AM
This is happening only after the Thirvasagam release function. ARR acknowledged him by attending the function and supported him when there was a controversy. Now to me it looks like IR is reciprocating. Two times in last two months. Thanks.

aruvi
28th July 2006, 12:51 PM
Venus,

ARR has always been respectful to veteran music directors. From the beginning, he has always said that IR showed him that a musician can be a genius without succumbing to bad habits. He always referred to IR as a genius. Even at the function of Aasai film audio release (11 years back), he jocularly said that he is always saying what he likes of other composers songs but papers edit that:-)

ARR, in a function with all veteran music directors a few years back, even presented IR with a gold ring. But IR put it back on ARR's finger because he doesn't wear gold.

ARR's acknowledgement is nothing new. Any musician would say, ARR as a person is a gem.

raja_fan
28th July 2006, 03:14 PM
Aruvi,

ARR did not mention IR's name in any interview in his begining years..When he went to peak in his first two years, he told nobody that he was once a keyboardist to IR..Later only, he started to reveal all this only in later years..

Let ARR be a gem personally..Who cares ?
Nobody of us need to know him personally..infact how many of IR or ARR's fans have really seen them in their lives ??

Sanjeevi
28th July 2006, 04:10 PM
Aruvi,

ARR did not mention IR's name in any interview in his begining years..When he went to peak in his first two years, he told nobody that he was once a keyboardist to IR..Later only, he started to reveal all this only in later years..

Nobody of us need to know him personally..infact how many of IR or ARR's fans have really seen them in their lives ??

Exactly, even he told "I am not hearing much IR songs" "I am the fan of MSV" "TR songs slightly inspired me", etc

krish244
28th July 2006, 05:48 PM
IndiaGlitz woke up a bit late on "Chor Police" song:

http://www.indiaglitz.com/channels/hindi/article/24086.html

thanks,

Krishnan

MADDY
28th July 2006, 06:05 PM
Aruvi,

i dunno wat u r saying, we knew rite from august15,1992 that ARR was from IR"S troupe.......i dunno how someone cud have come to know without ARR accepting it....

we care abt ARR's personal life........cos he is one person whom people can look upto as an inspiration and as a icon.........and he is acknowledged as an icon all over India(except TN).......ARR as a person is a major plus to his music......

sanjeevi, never he has said that "i dont listen to IR's songs".......

rajasaranam
28th July 2006, 11:13 PM
'aahistha chal' from Shiva is played time and again in MTV :) i think they should release the album by now :( Iam going mad to listen to this one song in full which promises to be having amazing choral works !

aruvi
29th July 2006, 12:20 AM
First,
Everyone knew from the start about ARR's background. I have read his earlier interviews though I only started listening to Tamil music after 1994. Him liking MSV is no surprise, since he has said that P.Susheela is his favourite singer.

TR made some good songs, in his glory days. As far as I have read and seen, ARR has always acknowledged IR. It's not something that happenned out of the blue. That's what I wanted to point out.

buggle
29th July 2006, 02:34 AM
Himesh interview in Kumudam. Looks like he wants to work with IR
http://www.kumudam.com/magazine/Kumudam/2006-08-02/pg11.php

balaji
31st July 2006, 09:59 PM
http://www.telugucinema.com/tc/audio_abhinandana.php

Commentary on Abhinandana

Bala

teja
31st July 2006, 11:21 PM
On IR's new Telugu film "Hope"...
http://idlebrain.com/news/2000march20/ilayaraja-notes.html

krish244
1st August 2006, 02:30 PM
The below says that the audio (Telugu??) will be released either on 2nd of August or in the 2nd week of August!

http://www.idleburra.com/2006/07/ram-gopal-varmas-shiva-2006.html

http://www.idleburra.com/2006/07/siva-2006-not-liked-by-police.html

thanks,

Krishnan

vem
2nd August 2006, 12:56 AM
IR always manages to cut a wide swath when he gets an oppurtunity to compose for Hindi films. Somehow, predictably all the interest and euphoria fizzle out after the music is released. It happened for aur ek prem kahani and mumbai xpress.

I just hope he gets due recognition atleast this time. if he fails this time too, he can just give up his hopes for Bollywood with a feeling that he is still the king of melody. Atleast I believe that no body can hold a candle to him in melodies.

there are still enough people who will continue to be his fans for ever. i dont know if he will get a chance to work with Rajni or Kamal again. Sadly, even in Tamil, he gets only low budget movies. Looks like he is pretty much getting the cold shoulder from all the directors. May be it also has with his overbearing attitude

aruvi
2nd August 2006, 04:52 AM
ROTFL at the last post!!!

This thread can be aptly titled "comedy times" now:-) I never knew IR gave a hoot for Bollywood!

rajasaranam
3rd August 2006, 04:13 PM
Photo Gallery of Shiva 2006 :)
http://www.idlebrain.com/movie/photogallery/shiva2006/index.html
there will be one sizzling song in the movie as i interpret from the images :wink:
Well none can beat Raaja in this particular genre of songs. Songs like nila kayuthu, nethu rathiri, en ullil engo, sivarathiri, sandhana marbilae, thennamarathila, maasi maasam, Ponmeni uruguthey, en ulle en ulle, etho mogam were huge hits apart from being sizzling and erotic music.
He had given various dimensions and moods for the same love/sexual feelings and colored them as musical art. Lets hope he creates some magic and translate some musical knowledge to the ignorant northies 8-)

teja
4th August 2006, 02:02 AM
[tscii:72427266bf]Ilayaraja reuses 4 tunes for Shiva 2006

Director Ram Gopal Varma requested Maestro Ilayaraja to reuse 4 of his best tunes of 80’s. Two of the four reused tunes consist of Botany pathamundi (Shiva), Jagada Jagadam (Geetanjali). Audio of this film will be released at a high profile function to be organized at Hotel Marriot on the night of 11th August with Nagarjuna Akkineni gracing as chief guest. This film will be released on 25th of August.[/tscii:72427266bf]

kiru
4th August 2006, 03:16 AM
This is happening only after the Thirvasagam release function. ARR acknowledged him by attending the function and supported him when there was a controversy. Now to me it looks like IR is reciprocating. Two times in last two months. Thanks.
Real criticism of ARR from IR comes in one song (written by his friend Karunanidhi)..It goes 'thEvai illAtha oosaigaLai ezhuppi isai enRu solvathEn' .... (litte mischief thaan .. :-))

tmrrmt
4th August 2006, 05:52 AM
"Ilayaraja reuses 4 tunes for Shiva 2006" - I can understand if IR had used some of his better tunes from the 80s - why 'jagada jagadam' from Geethanjali ? am perplexed - it was/is no doubt a good composition, but not great, by IR's standards, I would have expected him to reuse some tune from say 'Agni Natchatiram/Gharshana' instead

I can think of 'n' no of other tunes from the 80s that IR could have used

I wonder what the other two (reused) tunes are ?

Sigh! and why did IR oblige when RGV asked him to reuse the same tunes?! thats puzzling as well!

Hulkster
4th August 2006, 08:21 AM
Looks like RGV still lives in the past...as i said the film will only focus more on BGM rather than the songs..sonaal keika maaturaengela pa. Only Cheeni Kum seems attractive as being a romantice movie songs will play a large part of it. Probably the media reports about reusing certain songs in that movie might be false. Let us judge upon its arrival and see it was reused or original or a mixture of both.

rooky
4th August 2006, 11:53 AM
http://sify.com/movies/tamil/fullstory.php?id=14264009

krish244
4th August 2006, 12:19 PM
Agree with you Tmrrmt! BTW, is "Jagada Jagadam" same as "Vidiya Vidiya Nadanam"?

Is this the audio release of SHIVA, telugu version? If so, its strange that there is absolutely no news/activity (shooting activity I mean) of "SHIVA" in telugu, but the audio is releasing soon! Whereas in Hindi, we dont know when it will be released?

thanks,

Krishnan

krish244
4th August 2006, 05:24 PM
I guess SHIVA will be dubbed in Telugu (as SHIVA 2006) rather than being remade. Check the below link for SHIVA 2006 posters.

http://www.telugucinema.net/g/main.php/v/movies/shiva2006posters/Image00001.JPG.html

thanks,

Krishnan

az_raja_fan
4th August 2006, 11:57 PM
Teja,
Please check your private messages, I have sent you a message..... very important!!!

crvenky
5th August 2006, 12:24 PM
I have uploaded BGMs from 100+ movies in my yahoo group. Please join the group to download.

http://groups.yahoo.com/groups/maestrosmagic

Regards

Venkatesh
http://maestromagic.blogspot.com

krish244
5th August 2006, 08:14 PM
Check this out. A part of Ilaiyaraaja's music notes for the film "HOPE"

http://www.jeevi.com/news/2000march20/ilayaraja-notes.html

thanks,

Krishnan

vem
5th August 2006, 09:21 PM
Looks like naan kadavuk has crossed all initial hurdles.

http://www.musicindiaonline.com/n/i/tamil/3561/

vem
5th August 2006, 09:27 PM
commonplace talk about Shiva.

http://www.behindwoods.com/tamil-movie-news/aug-06-01/05-08-06-ilayaraja.html

RR
6th August 2006, 02:41 PM
Hi IR fans,

The thread is being continued here:

http://www.mayyam.com/hub/viewtopic.php?t=7639