PDA

View Full Version : Doubt on Indian Airports Immigration counter

Braandan
5th October 2007, 12:33 PM
Question:
A person , Indian passport holder, is having a valid long term visa to a foriegn country in his passport when he entered India. During his stay in India his passport expired and he got a new passport issued to him (Indian passport). When he travels back to the said foriegn country, will he be allowed to depart by showing his old and new passports. The visa is stamped in the old passport and not in the new one.

The question is not about the foreign country immigration, please note. There is no worry about the foreign country once he lands up there. This is only about how he would be treated at the Indian airport immigration counter.

crazy
5th October 2007, 12:38 PM
dont they see the expiry date of passport b4 issuing visa :?
if the visa term exceed the passports expiry date, we r asked to get a new passport first and then apply for visa :roll:

Indian immigration :thumbsup: no idea :oops:

Braandan
5th October 2007, 01:20 PM
you did not get the point. The old passport has a "long term" visa issued 2 years ago! and it is valid for another 3 years.

Braandan
5th October 2007, 01:21 PM
dont they see the expiry date of passport b4 issuing visa :?
if the visa term exceed the passports expiry date, we r asked to get a new passport first and then apply for visa :roll:

Indian immigration :thumbsup: no idea :oops:

also you are still thinking from the foriegn country point of view, the question is not about the foriegn country, but about indian immigration counters at the airport..

crazy
5th October 2007, 01:58 PM
:roll:

indian immigration ..hm...i dont think there will be any problem ...

chevy
5th October 2007, 02:03 PM
well... i always ensure my passport is renewd in the indian embassy abroad.coz it goes faster there ...and when that happend to me.. da old passport and new passport are stapled together and used together till the visa expires.... check up with the embassy of the country u ll be travellin to and ensure that it's ok .. and hav a reference ready jus in case u face a query at the airport..
bon voyage

Billgates
5th October 2007, 04:46 PM
Hi all

I faced a similar situation but got thru easily. The visa though was part of the previous pass port, the validity remains good & one has to carry both the PPs for a smoother clearance. I could get thru both Indian airport ( Delhi ) & Heathrow ( UK )

thanks

RC
5th October 2007, 10:57 PM
Braandan: I used to carry two passports for a while ( old expired passport with the visa) and the new passport until I did not need my Visa. I had both the passports banded together. I did not have problems with Indian immigration at that time.

It should not be a problem carrying the passports even now, I guess.

Lambretta
6th October 2007, 12:03 PM
da old passport and new passport are stapled together and used together till the visa expires....
Yup they did the same for my mother too..

podalangai
6th October 2007, 04:24 PM
It's not a problem. I was in the same boat this September (valid UK visa in an expired - and cancelled passport, which was not stapled to my current passport). The people at the counter in Mumbai airport seemed to treat it as being perfectly normal, and passed me through without any questions.

Braandan
7th October 2007, 06:18 AM
Thank you very much, every one, for assuring that it is ok, so far both the PPs are stapled together and submitted eveywhere together. Thanks a lot.

Badri
25th October 2007, 05:33 AM
Thank you very much, every one, for assuring that it is ok, so far both the PPs are stapled together and submitted eveywhere together. Thanks a lot.

Braandan,

If you are planning on a trip to India soon, then do post your experiences in this case with you. That would add to everyone's comfort level! :)