PDA

View Full Version : Ram Sethu / Adam's bridge dredging project controversy

Billgates
18th October 2007, 01:05 PM
Whats the motive behind this project ?

End objective ? Economic benefits accrue or pure politics only .

Is there any scientific proof to establish the preexistence of a bridge ( supposed to have been built by SriRam )

Some say that this is cost effective proposal.

Some argue that it will be an environmental disaster

Discuss pls

pavalamani pragasam
18th October 2007, 03:05 PM
Articles in magazines leave us more confused than enlightening us! Is it an economically viable project? It is argued that only small ships can commute & these small ships too will soon be obsolete, futher the small transactions not worth their while. Maintenance charges of desilting is quoted as staggering, leaving benefits a farce. Ecological disturbance is also not clearly explained either way. To spice the whole matter is the ridiculous uproar over Rama!!! where lies the truth?

Billgates
18th October 2007, 04:06 PM
For sure , Mother vessels cant go through this route. Only small sized ships can .

The time saving is estimated at 30 hours. ( in comparison to going one fulll round of SriLanka )

sgokulprathap
18th October 2007, 05:07 PM
[tscii:92d6ceae80]Rajini joins Setu debate, advises MK to 'talk it out'
http://www.ibnlive.com/news/rajini-joins-setu-debate-advises-mk-to-talk-it-out/50648-3.html

Wen Rajini askd dis, MK shud hav clearly said abt the project in lay man's view.
but dis was his response,
"Rajinikanth has the luxury and opportunity to travel to the North more often than me. He even goes up to the Himalayas and meet the saints there. So next time you meet them please tell them that Karunanidhi may be an atheist but he doesn't hate Ram,”

:banghead:
[/tscii:92d6ceae80]

podalangai
20th October 2007, 10:29 PM
Here's an interesting article, from the Deccan Herald, on Tamil traditions regarding Sethu - more specifically, the traditional role of the royal dynasty of Ramanathapuram as "the guardians of Sethu."

http://www.deccanherald.com/Content/Sep302007/finearts2007092927976.asp

Lambretta
20th October 2007, 11:50 PM
Here's an interesting article, from the Deccan Herald, on Tamil traditions regarding Sethu - more specifically, the traditional role of the royal dynasty of Ramanathapuram as "the guardians of Sethu."

http://www.deccanherald.com/Content/Sep302007/finearts2007092927976.asp
Many thanks for the link podalanna! :D
That was very informative & interesting bout the Sethu & Sethupathi family.....

//:offtopic: I was also intrigued by the 'Herald' name of the newspaper this appeard in....:D //

thamiz
21st October 2007, 07:41 AM
Is this necessary for Rajni?

I think, it is totally unnecessary for him to make a statement like this!

Nerd
21st October 2007, 10:25 AM

Well I think he was just curious on whats happening w.r.to that issue. I don't think I can write about MK's stand(s) here on this issue over the past couple of weeks and the statements he made :lol2:

Having said all this, Rajini is always known for making totally irrelevant, unwarranted statements every now and then :D

thamiz
21st October 2007, 06:56 PM
Ram Setu controversy set to get more intense

View More PicturesHT PhotoProtests over Ram Setu issueVHP protesters block tafffic to protest against Ram Setu project in New Delhi.
The ongoing Ram Sethu controversy is set to get more intense with the Centre insisting that there is no scope for any alternative alignment for implementation of the Sethusamudram project. "Don't put your words in my mouth. I will wait for the apex court orders and then chalk out the future course of action," said TR Baalu.

DMK chief M Karunanidhi had recently stated that he had no objections for any alternative alignment for early implementation of the project, reviving hopes of an early execution.

When asked if he was ruling out scope for change in alignment, Union Shipping Minister and DMK leader, TR Baalu told reporters "Don't put your words in my mouth. I will wait for the apex court orders and then chalk out the future course of action".

He said his leader's remarks were out of anguish to clarify that the party's intention was to carry out a developmental project and not to demolish the Adam's bridge. "We are going ahead with the project and my ministry will endeavour to complete it by December next year. There is no need for any rescheduling, though there has been a minor setback to the project," he said.

Karunanidhi's remarks that there was no proof for existence of Lord Ram and the Ram Sethu was only man-made drew widespread protests from Sangh Parivar outfits.

His remarks made a former BJP MP Vedanti to issue a fatwa for beheading him, which in turn sparked off protests from the DMK and its ally PMK. While senior DMK leader had announced that he would lead a picketing programme in front of the BJP office here if the fatwa was not withdrawn, the PMK founder described it as "barbaric". Karunanidhi said Ram was only an imaginary character and Rama Sethu was not a man-made bridge. Reactions to Karuna's 'Ram' remarks

Though, there was no major reaction from Tamil Nadu which was used to such diatribe from Dravidian leaders on Ram and Ramayana, some miscreants in Bangalore attacked the residence of Selvi, Karunanidhi's daughter and set ablaze two buses, resulting in the death of two passengers.

To this, Karunanidhi hit back saying that he treated such opposition as a speck of dust and said he stood by his remarks on Ram.

Karunanidhi's remarks came in for severe criticism by senior BJP leader LK Advani, who wanted him to retract his remarks.

The BJP, which had been fighting for a Ram temple at Ayodhya, the birth place of Lord Ram as Hindu mythology had it, did not lose the opportunity to take political mileage out of the issue, demanding a public apology from UPA Chairperson Sonia Gandhi and Prime Minister Dr Manmohan singh.

Karunanidhi, a self proclaimed atheist, openly challenged the BJP leader to join him in a debate over Ram. Reiterating his stand that Ram was an imaginary character, Karunanidhi said "I too had written many novels. Does those characters exist." He went a step further and said "Valmiki has said that Ram is a drunkard. Did I go to that extent".

Portraying the Rama Sethu movement as a conspiracy against Tamils and Sethu Samudram project, Karunanidhi had appealed to the sentiments of Tamils, who are expecting the completion of a

DMK allies back Karuna

The DMK's allies, barring the Congress, came to the rescue of Karunanidhi, when they endorsed his views on Lord Ram.

AIADMK Supremo Jayalalithaa, always waiting for an opportunity to pick up holes on Karunanidhi, joined the Sangh parivar in opposing the demolition of Ram Sethu.

However her ally, MDMK Chief Vaiko came out openly in support of the project and said his party would not accept inciting religious sentiments against it. The DMK's allies, barring the Congress, came to the rescue of Karunanidhi, when they endorsed his views on Lord Ram.

Karunanidhi's remarks against Hindu Gods is not new to people of Tamil Nadu. His remarks that Lord Krishna was a thief some years back, drew widespread protest from Hindu outfits and even cases were filed.

There were reports of adorning Lord Ram's portrait with a garland of chappals at Salem during the 1971 assembly polls which did not attract much protest.

DMK founder CN Annadurai himself, had written a book titled 'Kamba Rasam' criticising the Ramayana composed by Kamban. He had also authored a play titled Needhi Devan Mayakkam, justifying the acts of Ravana and condemning those of Ram.

DK founder Periyar EV Ramasamy had described Ramayana as an Aryan literature depicting a war between Aryans and Dravidians. He had opined that Ram's character symbolised an Aryan king, while Ravana that of a Dravidian leader.

Even great Tamil scholars like Devaneyan and Maraimalai Adigal, father of the 'movement for chaste Tamil' had held that Ramayana and Ram was alien to Tamil culture and religion, pointing out that there was no reference to Ram in Sangam Tamil literature.

http://www.hindustantimes.com/StoryPage/FullcoverageStoryPage.aspx?id=0ffbcb44-1aac-42bb-96a5-30537d23e3d3TheRamSetuRow_Special&&Headline=No+going+back+on+Sethusamudram+project%2c +says+Govt

thamiz
21st October 2007, 07:00 PM

Well I think he was just curious on whats happening w.r.to that issue. I don't think I can write about MK's stand(s) here on this issue over the past couple of weeks and the statements he made :lol2:

Having said all this, Rajini is always known for making totally irrelevant, unwarranted statements every now and then :D

Ramayana clearly shows the superiority of Aryan race. Some bengalis have commented me that we were monkeys.

Why would any dravidian be proud of Rama- an aryan king as per Ramyana video I watched???

thamiz
21st October 2007, 08:03 PM
And please dont say I am bringing up Aryan-Dravidian issue.

The Ramayana I watched says Rama belongs to the supreme aryan race.

If we are not proud of muslim outfought us, british outfought us,

why should any dravidian be proud of an aryan king outfought us???

We are indians only today but I am talking about the history just like any NI who worries about others' invasion!

dsath
22nd October 2007, 02:39 PM
[tscii:4d309f8c5c]

Ramayana clearly shows the superiority of Aryan race. Some bengalis have commented me that we were monkeys.

Why would any dravidian be proud of Rama- an aryan king as per Ramyana video I watched???
In today's world, a united India has far more probability to succeed. If we are broken down to states, we would be too embroiled in our controversies that it would undermine our progress (Pakistan-India-Bangladesh example is more than enough for now). If we want a United India, then a little understanding, compromise and tolerance is necessary.
Raking up the Aryan-Dravidian issue will not benefit anyone. How is this statement different from the Saffron brigade’s claims about Muslim Invasions? The main defense against the Saffron brigade is that Muslims are now part of our Indian culture and have contributed so much to our society that their line of thinking is rubbish. This statement in my opinion belongs to the same category. We have every right to be proud of our culture, history and language, but to belittle others based on epics (that very well might be just myths) or whatever reasons does nothing to augment our culture.
As far as the project is concerned and as mentioned earlier in a post, information is very limited and often biased. So lay people like me don't know what the benefits are, if there are any. Meanwhile the anti-Rama comments are highly unwarranted.
Come on a little tolerance goes a long way. :) [/tscii:4d309f8c5c]

thamiz
22nd October 2007, 07:42 PM
[tscii:d0480f75ea]

* In today's world, a united India has far more probability to succeed.

* If we are broken down to states, we would be too embroiled in our controversies that it would undermine our progress (Pakistan-India-Bangladesh example is more than enough for now).

* If we want a United India, then a little understanding, compromise and tolerance is necessary.
[/tscii:d0480f75ea]

You must be joking here!!!

What unites India you think???

Rama sentiments unite INDIA??? And WHO told YOU that???

Rama sentiments are DESTROYING INDIA's unity today.

It started from destructiuon of Babri mosque and now it goes on to South INDIA.

You make sure what you really mean there, first. I see you think Hindus and Ramayan believers are the ONLY INDIANS. You seem to worry about only their unity.

---------------------------------

And India being a poor country, why should one go for an expensive ALTERNATIVE HERE ????

Give me your RATIONAL!!!

And tell me how the heck Rama sentiments UNITE INDIA!!!

dsath
22nd October 2007, 09:23 PM
[tscii:7e73a1609b]

* In today's world, a united India has far more probability to succeed.

* If we are broken down to states, we would be too embroiled in our controversies that it would undermine our progress (Pakistan-India-Bangladesh example is more than enough for now).

* If we want a United India, then a little understanding, compromise and tolerance is necessary.
[/tscii:7e73a1609b]

You must be joking here!!!

What unites India you think???

Rama sentiments unite INDIA??? And WHO told YOU that???

Rama sentiments are DESTROYING INDIA's unity today.

It started from destructiuon of Babri mosque and now it goes on to South INDIA.

You make sure what you really mean there, first. I see you think Hindus and Ramayan believers are the ONLY INDIANS. You seem to worry about only their unity.

Thamiz, I didn't mean that Rama sentiments unite India. What I meant was when we are living in one single country full of diversity, we don't gain anything by singling out our racial history and justifying today's events based on that. Time and again Saffron brigade has done that mistake - They somehow feel that the present day Muslims must pay for their ancestor’s invasions. Should we (Tamilnadu Dravidian politics) follow the same route as the saffron brigade? I agree that there are some aspects like the reservation system which has to be justified with relation to events that happened in the past. What harm will it cause us to respect other's (whatever religion) sentiments even if we don't agree with them?

pavalamani pragasam
22nd October 2007, 09:56 PM
But isn't that a uniform policy/advice? Or some conveniently excused from it?

thamiz
22nd October 2007, 10:11 PM
[
Thamiz, I didn't mean that Rama sentiments unite India. ?

I am surprised you are overlooking the problem. It is Rama sentiments which cause all the trouble in India.

Minorities dont feel they are in a secular nation because of Rams sentiments whcih triggered by the dirty politicians! It created more and more and trouble against indian unity.

Now this guy, rajnikanth,

* why the heck he cares about North Indians and their sentiments sitting here in chennai???

* Does he think, every fan of him will back him up for all his stupid beliefs???

Nerd
22nd October 2007, 11:28 PM
Have you seen kaNimozhi's interview to CNN-IBN
1. She dint deny whatever MK had said about the issue. She tried explaining to karan thappar in a polished, diplomatic way.
2. And she confirmed that MK is all for respecting the sentiments of NIs or whoever.
3. Its being blown out of proportions only by the NIs and the media.

And Rajini,
I request MK to talk with the central govt to make sure this issue is solved without much fuss. MK was like, Rajini knows me better and he keeps traveling to the North, so may be he can go tell them.

I don't find anything provocative, empathetic of the NIs here :huh: But as I mentioned earlier, it was so stupid of rajini to have talked about this issue in a totally un-related function.

Whatever it is, as dsath had rightly mentioned its good for India as a whole if this issue is resolved peacefully. we all must forget our racial/caste differences and think about India as ONE. And thamiz, you are right on saying that this issue is destroying India's unity. And IMHO, India is never united. There has always been racial bigotries and abuses and if an issue like this pops up, they are just EXPOSED.

thamiz
22nd October 2007, 11:39 PM
I don't find anything provocative, empathetic of the NIs here :huh: But as I mentioned earlier, it was so stupid of rajini to have talked about this issue in a totally un-related function.

nerd:

Educate me, What exactly Rajni want from MK>

* And what is Rajni's stand here? He is very vague!

* Should we come up with an alternative project and abandon the earlier one??

If so, WHY should we do that??

Nerd
22nd October 2007, 11:47 PM
* And what is Rajni's stand here? He is very vague!

You have just said it. He is vague. He always has been, barring in 1995-1996. I have stopped taking his statements seriously when it comes political/social issues. He is better off not talking at all. He can stick to his short-stories in all the functions.

thamiz
22nd October 2007, 11:52 PM
He can stick to his short-stories in all the functions.

I always liked them, nerd, honestly. :)

* Somehow I seriously think, he is not trying to solve the issue here knowingly or unknowingly.

* He is making it worse.

* And he should not be doing it!

Nerd
23rd October 2007, 12:15 AM
* Somehow I seriously think, he is not trying to solve the issue here knowingly or unknowingly.

How can you think that "HE" can solve such a sensitive issue??? And yes you are right on saying that he should not be talking about this at all. My point was whatever he said the other day did not inflict that much damage :D

thamiz
23rd October 2007, 12:56 AM
My point was whatever he said the other day did not inflict that much damage :D

I think he brought himself down unnecessarily.

* Even his baba issue never bothered me

* His involvement in Rajkumar nver bothered me

* His on-screen smoking neither

For some reason, I feel he did a big mistake.

Did you read an article in Kumudham reporter??

Thre is going to be lot of speculations from others too!

Thirumaran
23rd October 2007, 09:25 AM
[

I am surprised you are overlooking the problem. It is Rama sentiments which cause all the trouble in India.

Minorities dont feel they are in a secular nation because of Rams sentiments whcih triggered by the dirty politicians! It created more and more and trouble against indian unity.

These kind of statements are unnecessary. Like every religion people are free enough to have their own sentiments. I would say because the separation of minorities and providing specific facilities to them(reservation) and even in times if minorities involves in terrorist activities some of the Govt try to justify them. I would say the majorities have all the reason to fell insecure. Even the law in our country is at different level for different religion. Even people want to talk about secular let make every department neutral.

Now people(some) talk because of Ram, Ram Sethu Project is gettting affected.

First of all for the Sethu there are different view from different experties. There are expertise who says this project is not fruitful and may affect the surroundings too and there are people who says this could be helpful.

When people have certain believe u got to respect it. Even there were reports that There is possiblity that it could be Ram Sethu Bridge. Now if it comes to court why should a ruling govt say there is no Ram and hence no Ram sethu and therefore hurt those majority people who worships him and create insecurity among them. If the same kind of thing happened to minorities in other way around just imagine the situation.

Let us take there are people who are waiting for this situation to create controversies. Why as a govt u are giving the room for that??
When it came to court, if the govt said we respect the sentiments of all religion. We will look for alternative(which already people were saying exists) and let the court know on the proceedings.
The problem solved there. The govt did not do that. It is 100% blunder by the govt. period.

I say some section of the government wanted to get advantage from minorities and created this issue and keep on hurting the crores of people's sentiments.
It is not about NI or SI. Even in south there are several crores who believes Ram and his different Avatars.

People need to Respect all the religion and the people who believe those sentiments.

Expertise say there are 4/5 alternative routes.
Some questions.
1. Why some are adamant in not trying for them and hurting majority of the people?
2. Why the govt gave room for by saying there is no Ram in the supreme court?
3. What if the similiar thing happens to minorities by other group?

Billgates
23rd October 2007, 12:16 PM
[tscii:a14cd303c0]Thamiz,

We are indians only today but I am talking about the history just like any NI who worries about others' invasion!_________________

Are you justifying the shameful act of Ravana who took away Sita in disguise .

You worship Ravana if he had taken Sita after defeating Ram.

And Ram never projected himself as the leader of Aryan race & all.

Infact, Ram is a symbol of righteousness , except for incidents like Valee . Ram is a near perfect man

Even if we all are going to assume Ramayan as a fiction / mere story, the Ram character is something special .

One simple example is when he allowed a tired Ravan to go back in the early stages of the war. That shows the highest value of Ram despite the fact that Ravan took away his wife stealthily.

So, there is no such stupid notion like Aryan or Dravidan here.

So, as per you , if a Dravidian takes away another's wife, still he is a great guy with virtues ! :lol:

Moral of the story : Don’t watch masala movies

[/tscii:a14cd303c0]

pavalamani pragasam
23rd October 2007, 01:28 PM
Taking away wives have been the theme of old epics. Ingu oru Sita, angu oru Helen of Troy! KathaikaLukku context enRu onRu irukkiRathu!

Billgates
23rd October 2007, 02:28 PM
http://www.ramsethu.org/

Above is a website on the Monument.

Contact persons :

Kusum Vyas
Esha Vasyam ( USA )
Email: kusumvyas@sbcglobal.net

Nizaad Bissumbhar
Global Human Rights Defence ( Hague )
Email: nbissumbhar@ghrd.org

Amazing that a foreigner is interested on preserving the Bridge !

thamiz
23rd October 2007, 06:34 PM
[

These kind of statements are unnecessary.

Yeah, right, demolishing babri mosque for protecting lord Rama's fame is NECESSARY!!!

Is that so, thirimaran?

thamiz
23rd October 2007, 06:37 PM
[tscii:ac22e7853e]Thamiz,

We are indians only today but I am talking about the history just like any NI who worries about others' invasion!_________________

Are you justifying the shameful act of Ravana who took away Sita in disguise .
You worship Ravana if he had taken Sita after defeating Ram.

[/tscii:ac22e7853e]

I dont see how you got that NOTION??

* Are you justifying there is a need for alternative sethu project??

If so, WHY???

* Are you justifying the "crooked way" Rama outfought Vaali???

If so HOW???

thamiz
23rd October 2007, 06:59 PM
Some questions.
1. Why some are adamant in not trying for them and hurting majority of the people?

First of all you give me the REASONS for a NEED for an ALTERNATIVE, EXPENSIVE sethu project .That is the main subject here!

I will answer your questions, once you address that issue!

Awaiting for hearing your Rational explanation!

thamiz
23rd October 2007, 09:07 PM
People need to Respect all the religion and the people who believe those sentiments.

And what is belief we should believe now?

And why is that?

* So, we have got to respect everyone's belief and if hurts someone belief we should stop the project?

* The respect we wanted to give led us demolishing babri mosque! You justify that too???

Thirumaran;

* Please dont go against every damn thing against MK for the heck of it!!

* He did not care to get the MONEY (200 crores) from Saibaba- a well-known theist- for the benefit of TN!!!

Thirumaran
24th October 2007, 08:23 AM
[

These kind of statements are unnecessary.

Yeah, right, demolishing babri mosque for protecting lord Rama's fame is NECESSARY!!!

Is that so, thirimaran?

I did not say that. If u are assuming that i dont care.
Do u think the general people who worship/believe Rama supported that :huh: If u think like that that shows your ....
Dirty acts by politicians i never support be it Babri Masjid or Ram Sethu Project.

BTW the this is not the thread for Babri Masjid nor political discussions. You have any specific aims u can keep that alone. 8-)
I told my view on Babri Masjid too. If you want to keep on bringing that and political issues i am away. Better luck next time :lol2:

Thirumaran
24th October 2007, 08:25 AM
Some questions.

First of all you give me the REASONS for a NEED for an ALTERNATIVE, EXPENSIVE sethu project .That is the main subject here!

I will answer your questions, once you address that issue!

Awaiting for hearing your Rational explanation!

I had given that reason already in my first post. You can read it again :lol2:

I am not the one deliberately looking for a chance to hurt people's sentiments/ believe be it any religion for that matter :)

Thirumaran
24th October 2007, 08:38 AM
1 .* So, we have got to respect everyone's belief and if hurts someone belief we should stop the project?

Thirumaran;

* Please dont go against every damn thing against MK for the heck of it!!

* He did not care to get the MONEY (200 crores) from Saibaba- a well-known theist- for the benefit of TN!!!

1. Here is not just some. We cant just stop for few people any poeple as there will be people who will oppose anything for that matter. There are crores who does not like the way GOVT handles the issue.

2. You are here bringing some other issues like my opinion towards MK and Saibaba here. :lol2: This is not the right place BTW. You can continue on this :lol2:
I had already said enough about my opinion on Sethu Project. That is what this thread about. If you are keen on hurting Majority people's sentiments you can continue. I am away :wave:

P:S: BTW for your info, I dont worship any god though i belong to a particular religion by Birth. I respect people and for me..
Anbe Rama, Anbe allah, Anbe Jesus and not but not the least Anbe Sivam 8-)

MADDY
24th October 2007, 09:24 AM
problem is pretty clear - why did MK speak abt. Lord Ram when provoked by BJP?? to prove his point to some 20,000 party members of BJP he hurt 85 million hindus sentiments in the country :huh: ....MK is a perfect hubber i guess :lol: .......there was no need for him to talk abt GODs and esp Hindu god......ask him to make such statements on other GODs whose people kill many innocent Indians in name of religious-terrorism :huh: ........anyways, it was a deliberate statement with a view to hurt many people..... :D

if the project is a dream project for tamils, from kamaraj period, then it must be go through........BJP has to concentrate on development/economic issues than such issues :hammer: .......

thamizh, we are living according to the modern boundaries of the world.......we are Indians, no matter Aryan, dravidian, hindu, muslim........to oppose a indian on basis of old geographical, historical evidences is not right......

dsath
24th October 2007, 01:17 PM
Sometime back in the North India Vs South India thread, the majority opinion seemed to be that NIs don't respect our culture and try to force their views (including language) on us. Are we any better now that the ball is in our court? If we can't respect and appreciate other cultures and their sentiments, how can we expect the same from others?

pavalamani pragasam
24th October 2007, 01:29 PM
:roll:

dsath
24th October 2007, 01:50 PM
PP mam, What I meant was we SIs normally have this complain that the NIs are forcing their language on us and don't understand the South's culture and language.
In the Sethu project, are we not doing the same thing - Refusing to understand the sentiments and cultural significance of North India? Our most senior politician has come out with irresponsible remarks. What irks me is, why can't we be a little more tolerant towards our fellow Indians and respect their belief?

pavalamani pragasam
24th October 2007, 02:35 PM
We must not forget the roots & the shameless sense of propriety, decency they had!!! Some utterances are to be IGNORED!

thamiz
24th October 2007, 07:30 PM
I had given that reason already in my first post. You can read it again :lol2:

I am not the one deliberately looking for a chance to hurt people's sentiments/ believe be it any religion for that matter :)

You have given NOTHING but saying majority get hurt!!!

If majority feels the world in flat, we sshould respect their feelings!

If majority feels, we should forget thamizh and we all should stick to on language Hindi, we should listnet to that!

It does not matter what they say??

* And wha tis SO sensitive here???

"Rebuiding" the bridge and naming that after Rama can solve the problem!

thamiz
24th October 2007, 07:35 PM
repeat post :)

thamiz
24th October 2007, 07:36 PM
there was no need for him to talk abt GODs and esp Hindu god......ask him to make such statements on other GODs whose people kill many innocent Indians in name of religious-terrorism :huh: ........anyways, it was a deliberate statement with a view to hurt many people..... :D

And you suggest him what he should speak??!!

if the project is a dream project for tamils, from kamaraj period, then it must be go through........BJP has to concentrate on development/economic issues than such issues :hammer: .......

I dont understand what do you mena by dream project for Tamils??

thamizh, we are living according to the modern boundaries of the world.......we are Indians, no matter Aryan, dravidian, hindu, muslim........to oppose a indian on basis of old geographical, historical evidences is not right......

It is ramayan which says Rama is aaryan king!

It is Ramayan it says how great he Aryan Kingdom was!

Why blame me???

Blame it on vaalmIki! 8-)

And there is NO EVIDENCE that says it was built by Rama!

thamiz
24th October 2007, 07:37 PM
Sometime back in the North India Vs South India thread, the majority opinion seemed to be that NIs don't respect our culture and try to force their views (including language) on us. Are we any better now that the ball is in our court? If we can't respect and appreciate other cultures and their sentiments, how can we expect the same from others?

I dont understand what you are talking about!!

How do you want us to RESPECT them?!

thamiz
24th October 2007, 07:44 PM
PP mam, What I meant was we SIs normally have this complain that the NIs are forcing their language on us and don't understand the South's culture and language.
In the Sethu project, are we not doing the same thing - Refusing to understand the sentiments and cultural significance of North India? Our most senior politician has come out with irresponsible remarks. What irks me is, why can't we be a little more tolerant towards our fellow Indians and respect their belief?

We need to be tolerant??

May be we should appreciate their achievement of demolishing babri mosque!!!

Who is not tolerant??

We did not kill Gandhi!!

We did not demolish babri mosque!!!

But as a hindu we all blamed as fanatics for their stupidity!!!

How long you want us to put up with their NONSENSES< huh??

And you call that as tolerance??

MADDY
25th October 2007, 02:25 AM
there was no need for him to talk abt GODs and esp Hindu god......ask him to make such statements on other GODs whose people kill many innocent Indians in name of religious-terrorism :huh: ........anyways, it was a deliberate statement with a view to hurt many people..... :D

And you suggest him what he should speak??!!

Thamiz, i meant, blaming entire muslim community for religious terrorism is absurd as in like MK's hurting of entire Hindu community to silence BJP......and the "deliberate statement" part was for Kalaignar...... :D

I dont understand what do you mena by dream project for Tamils??

i heard from my friend that sethu project is a project that ppl. of entire TN are looking fwd to.....thats wat i meant here :roll:

thiru_iyer
25th October 2007, 04:26 AM
Honestly, Thamiz, I think you are a fool to think that Rama represented an Aryan race and that Ravana represented a Dravidian race.

I as an Iyer, if there is ONE thing I know, is that Tamils hate brahmins. So would you be delighted to know that Ravana was a brahmin? Following today's Tamilian standards, then Ravana was NOT a dravidian at all. Just like, for some idiotic reason, even after two mellenia and innumerable contributions, me and my parents are not considered "dravidian" or tamil. Right?

So no, Ravana for sure as freaking hell does NOT represent Dravidians. He is a brahmin.

Yeah, even Periyar supported Ravana until he realised he was a brahmin. Then he shit his pants thinking, OH NO, what have I done, support a foreigner?! Let me switch sides and support Ram.

The epic is a gorgeous story, not racially or ethnically divisive at all. It is the story of good prevailing over bad. Respect it at the very least -- regardless of what happens with this project.

thiru_iyer
25th October 2007, 04:32 AM
I just want to make clear that I do not care about what happens with this project. If it is economically viable and supported by Indians (of all religions, castes, ethnicities, regions, etc.), then let it happen.

However, I just wanted to clear up Thamiz's idiotic generalizations. It just makes me laugh to tears when Ravana is equated to the Dravidian race when my family has inhabited Madurai for more than two mellenia, and have contributed endlessly to the thaaymozhi, thaaynaatu, etc. -- and still we are labelled foreign devils because of our caste. Pathetic. Don't ever let Ravana represent this mythical Dravidian race until you let all brahmins feel at home in Thamizh Naatu, because this is our veetu as well!!!

Thirumaran
25th October 2007, 08:03 AM
1. You have given NOTHING but saying majority get hurt!!!

2. If majority feels the world in flat, we sshould respect their feelings!

3. If majority feels, we should forget thamizh and we all should stick to on language Hindi, we should listnet to that!

1. you have nothing other than targetting some people and bringing differenet issues here :lol2:

2. If whatever the govt says and does for benefitting some set of people and shows their arrogance people should keep their mouth shut and listen. Is It :lol2

3. So now u are bringing Languages issues here. Carry on :lol2:

thamiz
25th October 2007, 08:20 AM
Honestly, Thamiz, I think you are a fool to think that Rama represented an Aryan race and that Ravana represented a Dravidian race.

Where did I say Ravana is from dravidian race??!!

Quote it here Mr. Iyer!

I as an Iyer,.

Nobody cares what caste you belong to.

You sound like a LOWCLASS to address your caste-issue here! We dont care!

thamiz
25th October 2007, 08:22 AM
1. You have given NOTHING but saying majority get hurt!!!

2. If majority feels the world in flat, we sshould respect their feelings!

3. If majority feels, we should forget thamizh and we all should stick to on language Hindi, we should listnet to that!

1. you have nothing other than targetting some people and bringing differenet issues here :lol2:

2. If whatever the govt says and does for benefitting some set of people and shows their arrogance people should keep their mouth shut and listen. Is It :lol2

3. So now u are bringing Languages issues here. Carry on :lol2:

Yeah, u r the one who said, if majority says, we should RESPECT their opinion!!

Those are just examples!!

thamiz
25th October 2007, 08:26 AM
However, I just wanted to clear up Thamiz's idiotic generalizations. It just makes me laugh to tears when Ravana is equated to the Dravidian race!!!

Mr. Iyer!!!

Are you an idiot?

If not SHOW/Quote where I said "Ravana is a dravidian"!!!

NOW!!!

thamiz
25th October 2007, 08:37 AM
when my family has inhabited Madurai for more than two mellenia, and have contributed endlessly to the thaaymozhi, thaaynaatu, etc.!

Why are you coming here and crying about?

Nobody said that u r an Aryan!!! :lol:

It is you who comes up with your caste-label and claiming yourself as whatever when we are discussing about sethu-project!!

We dont care about your pesronal problems, Mr. Iyer.

Go find a shrink to fix yourself!!! 8-)

thamiz
25th October 2007, 08:53 AM
Thamiz, i meant, blaming entire muslim community for religious terrorism is absurd as in like MK's hurting of entire Hindu community to silence BJP......and the "deliberate statement" part was for Kalaignar...... :D

MK brought up Rama only when sethu-project was opposed by religious fanatics in the name of Rama sentiments!

What is wrong in rebuilding "adam bridge" and naming the new "path" after Rama if everyone wishes?

Nobody is destroying any temple or whatsoever. Why does anyone get hurt for this???

Some natural disaster will destroy that otherwise!

Billgates
25th October 2007, 08:56 AM
Thiru I

Request that you shun using your caste . Today we are in a civilized society & one should set a precedent on this.
Besides, I think this forum doesnt encourage casteism or religion bias. Thanks for your understanding
I dont think Thamiz had mentioned that Ravana is a Dravidian. What Thamiz mentioned was that he saw a movie which showed Ram as the rep. of Aryan superiority. Thats all.
But ThiruI you have brought in a good point that Ravan himself was a mix of brahman and Asura by birth. True.

Mr. Thirumaran, One request to you you, Are you the Moderator of this section also ? The way you are posting here sounds like that you want to control the flow here also !
If you are not a Moderator here, pls show some maturity / dignity in your replies. INFACT, YOU HAVE SPOKEN LOT OF POLITICS HERE. WONDER HOW YOU ARE ALLOWESD SCOT FREE . YOUR POSTS GO UNEDITED WHEN YOU TALK SO MUCH POLITICS. Thanks for your understanding.

Request you all to concentrate more on the project . IF SOMEONE CAN HIGHLIGHT THE POSITIVE SIDE OF THE PROJECT, IT WILL BE ENLIGHTENING.

Thirumaran
25th October 2007, 09:15 AM
Mr. Thirumaran,
INFACT, YOU HAVE SPOKEN LOT OF POLITICS HERE. WONDER HOW YOU ARE ALLOWESD SCOT FREE . YOUR POSTS GO UNEDITED WHEN YOU TALK SO MUCH POLITICS. Thanks for your understanding.

Request you all to concentrate more on the project . IF SOMEONE CAN HIGHLIGHT THE POSITIVE SIDE OF THE PROJECT, IT WILL BE ENLIGHTENING.

There were others who were talking different issues other than Sethu. I was avoiding all those thrown towards me. You are free enough to report to the moderators of this section if u feel so. :)

cm123
25th October 2007, 09:37 AM
Hi Guys..

Our politicians never work for nation...this applies to Sethu project too..

Apart from economic ,environmental and ram issues there is one particular issue which is the deciding factor to oppose or go ahead by political parties...

ie,

manal allum velai intha project mudinjathum mudiyathu...

ethanai varusathukku canal use pannuvoma athanai varusathukkum varudam muluvathum manal allikonde irukka vendum... antha contract is the deciding factor..

I know it personally who got that...

If you people are really interested get tho=ese kind of informations with RTI(Right to information)..

then u will get to know why one party urges other opposes...

there is no national or TN interest in this matter only selfish...

NOV
25th October 2007, 11:54 AM
This topic has gone from discussing a sensitive issue, to making personal abuses.

Please PM me or the other moderators if you wish to continue discussions.