PDA

View Full Version : Looking Back - Love Birds

jangofett
3rd November 2007, 10:24 AM
I was going through my CDs and I almost forgot that I had the CD of Love Birds from 1995. I have the boxed set of the CD released by Pyramid in December 1995 with postcards of Prabhu Deva, Nagma and ARR. The film was released in January 1996. P.Vasu directed the film.

To me, P.Vasu was trying to cash in on the success of Kaadhalan by teaming up PD, Nagma and ARR. The film and the soundtrack was not successful.

I still remember that this was the first real flop for ARR. Even PolyGram that distributed the CD in North India said the sales were very poor after the high of Bombay in 1995.

I also remember the CDs were being sold in bargain bins later on. For me, I liked 2 songs from the movie - Malargalae Malargalae and the Doomsday song. I saw the movie without listening to the songs first. The best track was Malargalae Malargalae. The opening track by Mano was so weak. The main song - No Problem was disappointing. The Tamil portion by ARR was better than Apache Indian's. The Sambha Sambha song was not much better either.

Anyone still remembers about the songs and reception Love Birds received back in 1995/1996? Please do share some thoughts on this soundtrack by ARR.

prasana84
3rd November 2007, 12:09 PM
I was going through my CDs and I almost forgot that I had the CD of Love Birds from 1995. I have the boxed set of the CD released by Pyramid in December 1995 with postcards of Prabhu Deva, Nagma and ARR. The film was released in January 1996. P.Vasu directed the film.

To me, P.Vasu was trying to cash in on the success of Kaadhalan by teaming up PD, Nagma and ARR. The film and the soundtrack was not successful.

I still remember that this was the first real flop for ARR. Even PolyGram that distributed the CD in North India said the sales were very poor after the high of Bombay in 1995.

I also remember the CDs were being sold in bargain bins later on. For me, I liked 2 songs from the movie - Malargalae Malargalae and the Doomsday song. I saw the movie without listening to the songs first. The best track was Malargalae Malargalae. The opening track by Mano was so weak. The main song - No Problem was disappointing. The Tamil portion by ARR was better than Apache Indian's. The Sambha Sambha song was not much better either.

Anyone still remembers about the songs and reception Love Birds received back in 1995/1996? Please do share some thoughts on this soundtrack by ARR.
Puthu padathukkuthan eppadi solringannu patha arroda one of the best love birdskuma. i still remember i was in school all were singing the songs from this movie it was a huge hit. also in north. it was not a flop album one of the biggest hits.
ungalluku short term memory loss irukka? :lol:

rsubras
3rd November 2007, 12:30 PM
hey dude..u read my mind or what...... just two days back i was listening to this track in my sony mp3 walkman........ it was so nice and refreshing.... certain tracks which i didnt like at that time sounded so pleasant now.....

come on come oh kamaatchi was not the instant hit variety.. it had some interesting sounds and the way mano (or is it SPB??) rendered it was so nice to hear now... i hated this song when the film was released but now like this one

malargale song was an instant hit then itself...

naalai ulagam song was not aired at all at the time of release...

Sambha Sambha - I hated this song a lot.... but I remember this song was critically acclaimed during that time..even though it ws not a hit

No Problem - supposed to be the super hit number of the album.. but didnt do that well...... during that time

it was an above average effort from Rahman... but sadly the film was a damp squib and it pulled the songs along with it... LoveBirds album failed probably because (other than the film's disaster) Rahman was giving far more innovative and amazing stuff at that time (Kaadhal Desam etc.,) that this might have been percieved as a routine stuff from him...

I read in a weekly that Rahman felt bad that the film didnt even run the period that he took for creating the music :)

prasana84
3rd November 2007, 12:34 PM
The film was flop but the songs? all were big hits at that time

jangofett
3rd November 2007, 06:10 PM
hey dude..u read my mind or what...... just two days back i was listening to this track in my sony mp3 walkman........ it was so nice and refreshing.... certain tracks which i didnt like at that time sounded so pleasant now.....

come on come oh kamaatchi was not the instant hit variety.. it had some interesting sounds and the way mano (or is it SPB??) rendered it was so nice to hear now... i hated this song when the film was released but now like this one

malargale song was an instant hit then itself...

naalai ulagam song was not aired at all at the time of release...

Sambha Sambha - I hated this song a lot.... but I remember this song was critically acclaimed during that time..even though it ws not a hit

No Problem - supposed to be the super hit number of the album.. but didnt do that well...... during that time

it was an above average effort from Rahman... but sadly the film was a damp squib and it pulled the songs along with it... LoveBirds album failed probably because (other than the film's disaster) Rahman was giving far more innovative and amazing stuff at that time (Kaadhal Desam etc.,) that this might have been percieved as a routine stuff from him...

I read in a weekly that Rahman felt bad that the film didnt even run the period that he took for creating the music :)

Thank you Subra for the comments. I think the lack of success for the songs could also be due to P.Vasu - he must have asked ARR to repeat Gentleman and Kaadhalan type of songs.

Now, 12 years later, Love Birds deserves a second lease of life...