PDA

View Full Version : Thyagaraja Krithis by S Janaki

AV
22nd November 2007, 12:02 AM
On a trip to Chennai, I recently chanced upon an audio tape which has S Janaki rendering about twelve Thyagaraja krithis. Needless to say, I pounced upon it and purchased it the very next moment, and how glad I am for that! The tape is released by Anand Audio. I think this particular collection was recorded in 1988/1989.

The first krithi is "balakamakamaya chela.." (Raagam Atana) which S Janaki had also rendered in the film Sagara Sangamam. This song is sheer ecstasy and has always been one of my favourites. This is followed by Saamajavaragamanaa (Raaga Hindolam), Baagayanayya (Raaga ChandraJyothi), "Rara Maintidaakaa" (Raaga Asavari), "dayaraani dayaraani" (Raaga Mohanam) and "Enduku Dayaradura" (Raaga Todi). But the real listening delight is "Talachi Nantane" based on Raaga Mukhari and "Raagaratnamaalikache" (Raaga Reethigowla). Janaki's deft handling of all the difficult hairpin bends in these songs (as also many of the others) is something to listen to again and again and again!

I was wondering whether there are more such classical offerings by S Janaki (outisde of films).