PDA

View Full Version : Recipes for Heart patients who are diabetic

MazhaiKuruvi
20th December 2007, 06:08 PM
Hey folks, my mom is diabetic and a heart patient. If anyone has recipes that are good for such a person, please share. Thanks.

Akula
8th January 2008, 03:37 AM
Hi,

1. Are you looking for new recipes? If yes where are you based now? (or)
2. Are you looking for tips to make the usual dishes suitable for your mother?

I will try my best to answer your question if you tell me what you are expecting.

Anoushka
8th January 2008, 04:54 PM
welcome to the wonderful world of diet food! We have been eating diabetic diet food for nearly thirty years and diabetic + heart patient diet for half as many years! Am in a rush now, will get back and tell you in detail! :)

Anoushka
6th February 2008, 11:59 PM
Hi...

ok, here we go...

For heart patients, avoid food with high cholestrol. Reduce / avoid oil, butter, ghee, coconut, cheese, red meat, egg (yolk), peanuts (nuts in general except almonds), etc

Instead of deep fried food, try shallow fried, grilled or baked food.

Instead of heading for the box of murukku or mixture for a snack, have some type of boiled payaru.

Have raw onion which reduces cholestrol. So if you don't have a side dish and are thinking of having pickles, forget it and have a salad made of onion, tomato, green chilli and corriander - much healthier :) Plenty of salads will help!

Idli, chappathi, dosai (without oil), idiappam, oats kanji, ragi dosai, kodumai dosai, upma (with plenty of veg), brown bread with low fat butter for breakfast would be ideal instead of aapam, puttu or puri.

For diabetics, the key is to avoid/reduce sweets and sugar in any form possible. So avoid any underground vegetable - potato, raddish, yam, betroot, carrot, etc are to be avoided.

Eat plenty of keerai varieties and green veg - cauliflower, cabbage, murungai kai, kathirikai, vaazhai kai, vazhzai poo, vazhai thandu, peerkankai, pudalankai, vellai poosani, pavakkai, kovakkai, avarakkai, beans, sundaikai, etc.

Eat wholemeal food instead of refined food. Chappati instead of rice, brown bread instead of white bread and avoid maida if possible.

Selective fruits are allowed - again quantities of fruits should be noted. They say one porition of most fruits is allowed. Papaya is good and so is apple, orange is also good. Fruits like Mango are to be avoided.

If you are in Chennai, go to MV diabetic clinic, they are very good!

I hope this helps.

If you are looking for anything specific let me know... :)