PDA

View Full Version : IR's New albums - Ver 2008

Pages : 1 2 3 [4] 5 6

kameshratnam
4th July 2008, 02:59 PM
But if you look back and watch dasa: the songs are a waste and rerecording was done by the Devi Sri: over telugu vasanai..and yes it needed someone in the range of Ir to do it...even arr or yuvan or harris wud have done it...ennamo theriyala the film bombed in hindi too
Vidyasagar though i rate him very high, does not come to my mind since he failed miserably with periyar and one film of kalaignar

jaiganes
4th July 2008, 04:09 PM
But if you look back and watch dasa: the songs are a waste and rerecording was done by the Devi Sri: over telugu vasanai..and yes it needed someone in the range of Ir to do it...even arr or yuvan or harris wud have done it...ennamo theriyala the film bombed in hindi too
Vidyasagar though i rate him very high, does not come to my mind since he failed miserably with periyar and one film of kalaignar

NO COMMENTSuuu

krish244
4th July 2008, 04:57 PM
Sify review of UO:

http://sify.com/movies/tamil/review.php?id=14708850&ctid=5&cid=2429

thanks,

Krishnan

licvskumar
4th July 2008, 05:19 PM

licvskumar
4th July 2008, 05:22 PM
http://www.indiaglitz.com/channels/tamil/review/10207.html

licvskumar
4th July 2008, 05:29 PM
Music review of Music Maverricks to Uliyin Osai

lint :

http://musicmavericks.blogspot.com/2008/06/uliyin-osai.html

raja_fan
4th July 2008, 05:47 PM
Sify and indiaglitz reviews seem to have been written by same person with different words..

Let us wait for more reviews to ensure these are neutral in their reviews :)

Fliflo
5th July 2008, 05:36 PM
http://www.tamilcinema.com/CINENEWS/Hotnews/2008/july/050708.asp

crvenky
5th July 2008, 05:37 PM
Tamil Cinema.com review:
http://www.tamilcinema.com/CINENEWS/REVIEW/2008/Uliyinoosai.asp

MrJudge
5th July 2008, 05:50 PM
All reviews give positive feedback for UO and they even say the songs are good. :bluejump: I should get hold of the CD soon.

irir123
5th July 2008, 06:24 PM
guys wait for Pazhassi Raja - i heard from someone that PR album has the quality of Guru (Malayalam)!

Fliflo
5th July 2008, 06:40 PM
http://tamil.in.msn.com/entertainment/articles/article.aspx?cp-documentid=1547259

doesn't say anything about Raja though.

Renault
5th July 2008, 07:21 PM
I listened to Uliyin Osai songs for the first time.

I should say that Raja is well and truly back. Amazing composition. I am one of the elite few who have kept away from listening to any of the contemporary songs for the past 6 months. I listen only to Raja songs predominantly in my ipod and in my car as well.

I even liked Azhagi vara song which was trashed by a few.

I should say that there was a seamless liking of all songs in UO in comparison to all the Raja gems that I have been listening all these months.

This is to make it a strong testimony in addition to the one made earlier by people here with similar-music taste that made the likes of Mr.Judge to come back and listen to contemporary Raja songs :-)

Go for it folks...

raja_fan
5th July 2008, 07:33 PM
What are those 18 films that IR has now ?

Tamil:

1. Dhanam.
2. NK.
3. Mayilu.
4. Azhagar malai.
5. Ayyan.
6. Malai kallan.
7. Nandalala.

Telugu:

8. Mallepoovu

Malayalam:

9. Pazhassi Raja.
10. SMS ( Eppo anuppuvaanga ?? )

remaining 8 ??
I have not included projects which has not been officially launched like Amir's Kannapiran.

raja_fan
5th July 2008, 07:35 PM
Sorry.

Missed

11. Jaganmohini.

12. Some Kannada movie

remaining 6 ??

Renault
5th July 2008, 07:50 PM
Add to the list:

1. Swamy Ayyappan (Animation movie)
2. Pa (balki - amitabh - abhishek)
3. Keka (Telugu - Teja - PC Sriram)

jaiganes
5th July 2008, 08:10 PM
there is a IR-Gulzar movie which we discussed some time back.
Donno if Mukhbir is included in this.
Director of 'Hope' s next tlugu movie.

rajaalltheway
5th July 2008, 08:12 PM
Chal Chale

Renault
5th July 2008, 08:22 PM
what about Quick Gun Murugan (Jagpathy babu - Telugu)

jaiganes
5th July 2008, 08:35 PM
QGM might not have IR music. It might simply reproduce some SPB - IR hits with permission.

jaiganes
5th July 2008, 08:35 PM
and it is not jagapathy babu - it is rajendra prasad

raja_fan
5th July 2008, 09:25 PM
I heard Keka was rejected by IR.

And Pa is not yet officially anounced.

So,

13. Chal Chale.
14. Swami Ayyappan.

any other ??

Sureshs65
6th July 2008, 11:59 AM
The Mavericks have analyzed the music of Uliyin Osai very well. I am glad that Illayaraja got to fore his intelligence and didn't give cliched classical dance numbers. The more I listen to this album the more I appreciate the thought that has gone behind each of the songs.

Got hold of the Kannada movie, 'Aa Dinagaluu' which has just been released on VCD. Outstanding background score by Illayaraja. The two songs in the movie are excellent melodies. The background score shows why Raja is the undisputed king in this department. The way her conjures up the menacing tones without ever sounding loud is a testimony to his genius. Background score enhances the overall mood of the movie and adds class to it.The movie is a decent one as well. You can watch it and enjoy even if you do not understand Kannada.

venky_vinod
6th July 2008, 01:18 PM
Donno if Mukhbir is included in this.

Mukhbir has music by Karthik Raaja (along with another composer - I don't know why).

jaiganes
6th July 2008, 04:10 PM
Yesterday night in some Hindi TV channel there was a special feature on the movie Chal Chale. It is a biggie with Mithun da, Mukesh Kanna and Shilpa Shukla of Chak De India. No mention of the technical crew, but the subject is same as the telugu movie Hope = Exam pressure leading to suicide among young students.

Sanjeevi
6th July 2008, 05:23 PM
இளையராஜா பாடிய டூயட்
By JBR
இன்றைய தேதியில் அதிக படங்களுக்கு இசையமைப்பவர்கள் வரிசையில் முன்னணியில் இருக்கிறார் இளையராஜா.

பத்து வருடத்திற்குமுன் இசைஞானியின் முகத்தில் பார்த்த சந்தோஷத்தை இப்போது காணமுடிகிறது என்கிறார்கள் பரவசமாக. இளையராஜா இசையமைக்கும் படங்களில் ஒன்று 'ஜகன்மோகினி'. பொதுவாக படப்பிடிப்பு பக்கம் எட்டிப் பார்க்காதவர், மதுரை திருமலைநாயக்கர் மஹாலில் ஜகன்மோகினி பாடல்காட்சியை எப்படி எடுக்கிறார்கள் என்று நேரில் சென்று பார்த்தார். எதிர்பாராத இளையராஜாவின் விசிட்டால் பூஸ்ட்குடித்த உற்சாகத்தில் உள்ளது 'ஜகன்மோகினி' டீம்.

இளையராஜா இசையமைக்கும் இன்னொரு படம் 'அழகர் மலை'. சங்கிலி முருகன் தயாரிப்பு, பன்னிரெண்டு ஆண்டுகளுக்குமுன் சங்கிலி முருகன் தயாரித்த காதலுக்கு மரியாதை படத்துக்கு இளையராஜா இசை. பாடல்கள் அனைத்தும் பம்பர் ஹிட். அதற்குப் பிறகு இப்போதுதான் படம் தயாரிக்கிறார் சங்கிலி முருகன்.

இந்தப் படத்தில் நா.முத்துக்குமார் வரிகளில்,

"கருகமணி கருகமணி
கழுத்தில் ஆடுதடி...."

என்ற டூயட் இடம் பெறுகிறது. இப்பாடலை மும்பை பாடகியுடன் இணைந்து இளையராஜா பாடினார். சில வருடங்களாக டூயட் பாடலை தவிர்த்து வந்தவர் தானாகவே டூயட்பாடலை பாடியிருப்பது அழகர் மலை யூனிட்டை அதிசயிக்கவைத்துள்ளது.

பாடல்கள் அத்தனையும் ஹிட் என இப்போதே சொல்கிறார்கள் நம்பிக்கையுடன்!

source : cinesouth

MrJudge
6th July 2008, 10:21 PM
இளையராஜா பாடிய டூயட்
By JBR
இன்றைய தேதியில் அதிக படங்களுக்கு இசையமைப்பவர்கள் வரிசையில் முன்னணியில் இருக்கிறார் இளையராஜா.

பத்து வருடத்திற்குமுன் இசைஞானியின் முகத்தில் பார்த்த சந்தோஷத்தை இப்போது காணமுடிகிறது என்கிறார்கள் பரவசமாக. இளையராஜா இசையமைக்கும் படங்களில் ஒன்று 'ஜகன்மோகினி'. பொதுவாக படப்பிடிப்பு பக்கம் எட்டிப் பார்க்காதவர், மதுரை திருமலைநாயக்கர் மஹாலில் ஜகன்மோகினி பாடல்காட்சியை எப்படி எடுக்கிறார்கள் என்று நேரில் சென்று பார்த்தார். எதிர்பாராத இளையராஜாவின் விசிட்டால் பூஸ்ட்குடித்த உற்சாகத்தில் உள்ளது 'ஜகன்மோகினி' டீம்.

இளையராஜா இசையமைக்கும் இன்னொரு படம் 'அழகர் மலை'. சங்கிலி முருகன் தயாரிப்பு, பன்னிரெண்டு ஆண்டுகளுக்குமுன் சங்கிலி முருகன் தயாரித்த காதலுக்கு மரியாதை படத்துக்கு இளையராஜா இசை. பாடல்கள் அனைத்தும் பம்பர் ஹிட். அதற்குப் பிறகு இப்போதுதான் படம் தயாரிக்கிறார் சங்கிலி முருகன்.

இந்தப் படத்தில் நா.முத்துக்குமார் வரிகளில்,

"கருகமணி கருகமணி
கழுத்தில் ஆடுதடி...."

என்ற டூயட் இடம் பெறுகிறது. இப்பாடலை மும்பை பாடகியுடன் இணைந்து இளையராஜா பாடினார். சில வருடங்களாக டூயட் பாடலை தவிர்த்து வந்தவர் தானாகவே டூயட்பாடலை பாடியிருப்பது அழகர் மலை யூனிட்டை அதிசயிக்கவைத்துள்ளது.

பாடல்கள் அத்தனையும் ஹிட் என இப்போதே சொல்கிறார்கள் நம்பிக்கையுடன்!

source : cinesouth

Glad to hear that he is happy :D

raja_fan
6th July 2008, 10:29 PM
Yes ! I was about tell that "A cheerful Raja is the reason for his attracting more films" and this news came in :)

Or is it "more films on his side makes him cheerful" ?

Anyways, all that IR needs to do now is concentrate on how to consolidate this to come to the fore front ! And his 80's orchestra will be the key !

Adha vittuttu, thirumbavum "Kajuraho.." song-a eppadi rehash pannalaamnu yosichaarnaa avvalavuthaan :(

I remember the January of 2000. At that time around 5 films with his music were running simultaneously - Hey Ram, Time, Sethu, Kadhal Rojave, Kannukkul Nilavu.
I was telling Raja was back, but nothing happened after...So fingers crossed now :)

rajasaranam
6th July 2008, 10:47 PM
There was interesting compilation by one of the fans 'Alex' in orkut title non stop magic after 32 years :) Here it is

In Tamil

01. Kangalum Kavipaduthey - Already audio released - New faces
02. Mayilu - Duet movies produced - New faces
03. Dhanam - Sangeetha lead role - waiting for release
04. Anal Katru - Balu mahandra
05. Naan Kadavul - Bala movie - Arya & Pooja - Shooting finished
06. Uliyin Osai - Kalaignar scripted - shooting progress
07. Kannabiran - Ameer movie - to be announced
08. Nandalala - Myskin movie - announced
09. Valmeeki - announced - Akil and Meera nandan are casted
10. Alagar Malai - Sangili Murugan Produced - New Faces
11. Malaikallan - Rajkiran movie - announced
12. Jaganmohgni - Namitha staring
13. Chinthamani - Rajkiran movie - to be announced
14. Mudhalvar Mahatma - Balakrishnan movie - New faces
15. Padma magan new movie - to be announced
16. Fazil Movie - Prativiraj & meera Jasmin staring
17. Adumkoothu - Cheran and Navyanayar -
18. Jayakanthan documentary - to be released

In Malayalam

01. SMS - Bala and Navya nayar - Audio released in hit
02. Pazhassi Raja - Mamooty & Kanika - Hariharan directed
03. Kutty Shranku - Mamooty & Meera - to be announced
04. Swarnamalikka - Mohanlal & Kavya madhavan - to be announced
05. Fazil Movie - Fazil movie - Prithiviraj & Mamtha mohandas

In Telugu

01. Sunny - New faces - Audio released
02. Mallepoovu - Boomika casted - New director - Shooting progress
03. Okkadasunnadu - Kalyanram & Genelia casted - to be announced
04. Guick gun Murugan - Jagapathi babu casted - to be announced
05. Teja new movie - to be announced

In Kannada

01. NANNAVANU.
02.Songoli Rayanna

In Hindi

01. Paa - Amitabh & Abishek casted - Balki Directed - shooting
02. Mukhbir - Jackieshroff acted - to be released
03. Chal chale - Mithun chakravarthy - shooting
04. Ajoy verma movie - yet not to be titled
05.Mumbai Cutting

In Multi langauage movies

01. Ajantha - Audio released - Tamil, Telugu, Kannada & Malayalam
02. Manikandan (animation)- Shooting - Tamil, Malayalam, Kannada, Telugu & Hindi
03. Twinkle Twinkle Twinkle star - - Tamil, Malayalam, Hindi, Telugu & Kannada

though few of the movies in the list are never going to materialise, Its interesting to note that a composer to have these many projects after 32 years in the industry is an achievement, nobody will ever be able to come near to. :)

rajasaranam
6th July 2008, 11:01 PM
There was also an interesting observation by some hubber many years ago that every 16 years there will be a new music director claiming the top spot.
MSV - 1960
IR - 1976
ARR- 1992
Its 2008 now... will IR reclaim his position :oops:
My friend about whom I said in 'Nandalala' thread, who had written off Raaja was thrilled after listening to the songs and said 'Raaja is back' :) k
Though Personally I've kept my hopes low...Its a feel good news that the media is speculating about this comeback. :D

raja_fan
7th July 2008, 09:05 AM
I heard Keka was rejected by IR.

And Pa is not yet officially anounced.

So,

13. Chal Chale.
14. Swami Ayyappan.

any other ??

Oops ! I missed

15. Valmiki.
16. Ajanta ( eppo release ??? ).

So totally 16 films confirmed/anounced till date.
I don't think any other MD has so many films at hand. Though numbers doesn't really matter, this shows an under current in the film industry in favour of IR :D

licvskumar
7th July 2008, 10:11 AM
hai,

another review of uliyin osai, here

http://www.cinesnacks.com/tamil-movie-news/viewupdates.php?nid=363

sgmsin
7th July 2008, 11:16 AM
People, Dont wait for anything go and watch uliyin oosai. Once of the exordinary composition from raaja. You can feel the music and even songs are well caputured. I feel raaja is on the track. All the music directors should learn from him how to give a background music for a movie by seeing uliyin oosai. Once of the exordinary effort from raaja.

MrJudge
7th July 2008, 12:18 PM
People, Dont wait for anything go and watch uliyin oosai. Once of the exordinary composition from raaja. You can feel the music and even songs are well caputured. I feel raaja is on the track. All the music directors should learn from him how to give a background music for a movie by seeing uliyin oosai. Once of the exordinary effort from raaja.

Yesterday only I listened to the songs fully on the promo that came on Isaiaruvi. I liked a few songs but didn't like the saapadu azagi song. I haven't got the CD yet and should get it today.

I am reading Sivakamiyin Sabatham part 2 now, so if I watch the movie I will be enjoying it. As jaiganes said it, actors thaan konjam bayamuruthara maathiri irukkaanga but looks like the script is good so don't mind watching Vineeth, sagichchukkellamnu thonuthu. :D

jaiganes
7th July 2008, 01:59 PM
I got the CD and gave it a back to back listen.
Awesome veenai for The sudha Raghunadhan Bombay Jayashree song. There are MD's who will invariably make a carnatic classical song slow and drawn out and less orchestrated. IR makes it rich, brisk and the result is as peppy as a modern hit. I liked even the Azhagi varra song. The sozha vala naadu was cool, very evocative and aptly tuned to bring to mind some images.
Ahandhayil aaduvadhaa aadal kalai is again another brisk numbe. Will hear it once more before posting my song by song thoughts.

thumburu
7th July 2008, 03:49 PM
jaiganes, plz post from where u bought UO CD in bangalore. Iam dying to get hold of this classical comfort by Raja . My God!! How long a wait!!

sgmsin
7th July 2008, 04:24 PM
hello thumburu, you can get the CD in Forum.

thumburu
7th July 2008, 06:15 PM
thanks but where in forum? Anywhere near Indranagar?

sgmsin
7th July 2008, 07:06 PM
Its in PVR cinema hall,Hosur Main Road , Koramangala , Bangalore- 560095

Please find the information in below link.

http://www.asklaila.com/listing/Bangalore/Koramangala/The+Forum/1HJkfJVq/

Sureshs65
7th July 2008, 07:29 PM
Thumburu,

You should get it in Landmark in Forum. I bought in Calypso in Jayanagar. Not sure about music shops in Indranagar. I am sure Landmark will have it.

S.Suresh

jaiganes
7th July 2008, 07:30 PM
I bought it on sunday from Calypso Jayanagar 4th block.
The movie is not an extensive classical music album - it is diluted, fast, made in view of the popular reach that a kalaignar movie will have. The competetion song - which had much scope to let Raja dwell more in depth with the intricacies in the charanams, he reigns himself in - so that the tune is in accordance to a dance competition - not a singing competition - so the comparison wit 'isai arasi' though it pops up - is not valid.

selvakumar
7th July 2008, 07:54 PM
thanks but where in forum? Anywhere near Indranagar?
:shock: New to Bengaluru ? I am not sure whether you will get it in forum. Even for popular CDs, they take at least 1 week. Anyway, check it out :)

MrJudge
7th July 2008, 10:34 PM
[tscii:1883a63dfc]Director Shankar's former assistant Anantha Narayanan known to be an avid reader and keen thinker is wielding the megaphone for a movie titled 'Valmiki'.

The debutante director says, 'it is an unusual title and will be very different. Just like sage ‘Valmiki’ was a reformed after being a dacoit, my hero turns overnight into a new leaf'.

'Kallori' fame Akhil plays Pandian, a pickpocket, while Meera Nandan, the girl who made her debut in a Malayalam film ‘Mulla’, plays the female lead.

The heroine runs a crèche and an incident unites the lead pair. The change that comes over the hero and how it makes a change to many lives in society forms the story.

According to Anantha Narayanan, 'the whole movie is set in north Chennai. The very mention of the place makes one think of blood, gore and violence. But that won't be the case. It is about a man who commits petty crimes and how his life takes a turn'.

On his association with Shankar, he says, ' Shankar always gave us independence. He expects his assistants to develop individuality. Though I learnt the nuances of film-making from Shankar, I will always follow my own way'.

Music is by Ilayaraja and editing by VT Vijayan. Vaali does the lyrics and Alagappan handles the cinematography.[/tscii:1883a63dfc]

MrJudge
7th July 2008, 10:55 PM
I bought the CD today. BigMusic has released it. I have listened to it only once. My pick is 'Pularkindra pozhuthu' by Sreeram Parthasarathy. Even after repeated listenings, I am sure it will be my pick.

Why didn't they show this song in the trailer? :banghead:

app_engine
7th July 2008, 11:06 PM
Rediff's comment on IR (amidst a very negative review of the movie):

Ilaiyaraja is one of those composers who are incapable of delivering bad work even when their hearts are not in it. His songs, especially, Kallai Irunthen and Ethanai Baavangal are worth a listen.

http://inhome.rediff.com/movies/2008/jul/07ssu.htm

MrJudge
8th July 2008, 09:42 AM
After couple of listenings, I change my mind, I like kallAi irunthEn song very much now.

MrJudge
8th July 2008, 09:42 AM
வடசென்னையை எடுத்துரைக்கும் மற்றுமொரு படம்

வ*டசெ*ன்னையை *பி*ன்புலமாக*க் கொ*ண்டு தயாராகு**ம் படம் `வா*ல்*மீ*கி'. இயக்குனர் ஷங்கரிடம் உதவியாளராக இருந்த *ஜி. ஆன*ந்த நாராயண*ன் இயக்கும் இப்படத்தில் வழக்கமான கத்தி, கபடா சமாச்சாரம் எல்லாம் இருக்காதாம்.

அடாவடியாக *திர*ியு*ம் ஒரு இளைஞ*ன் அ*ன்பான ஒரு பெ*ண்ணா*ல் *திரு*ந்துவதே கதையாம்.

பா*ண்டி எ*ன்னு*ம் அடாவடி இளைஞ**ன் வேட*த்*தி*ல் `க*ல்லூ*ரி' அ**கி*ல். அ*ன்பான பெ*ண்ணாக *மீரா ந*ந்த*ன். பூ*க்கா*ரி வேட*த்*தி*ல் *ஸ்ரு*தி நாய*ர். இவ*ர்களை மையமாக*க் கொ*ண்டே கதை நக**ருமாம்.

பட*ம் கு*றி*த்து மேலு*ம் *சில தகவ*ல்க*ள்...

இசை - இளையராஜா. மொ*த்த*ப் பட*த்தையு*ம் முடி*த்து* வி*ட்டு இளையராஜா*வு*க்கு*ப் போ*ட்டு*க் கா*ண்*பி*த்து, அவ*ர் எ*ந்தெ*ந்த இட*ங்களை*ச் சொ**ல்*கிறாரோ அ*ந்த*ந்த இட*ங்க*ளி*ல் பாட*ல்களை வை*க்க*ப் போ*கிறாரா*ம் இய*க்குந*ர்.

*விகட*ன் டாக்க*ீ*ஸ் பா. *சீ*னிவாச*னி*ன் இர*ண்டாவது தயா*ரி*ப்பு இப்படம்.

பாடல்கள் - வா*லி. எ*ன்.அழக*ப்ப*ன் ஒ*ளி*ப்ப*திவு.

krish244
8th July 2008, 10:54 AM
Mallepuvu audio should get released by end of July according to this news. Also, looks like IR has asked for the tamil rights of this film!

http://www.indiaglitz.com/channels/telugu/article/39816.html

Also, read somewhere that "Chal Chale" should get released by end of September. Will try to post the link...if i get it.

thanks,

Krishnan

raja_fan
8th July 2008, 12:01 PM
Dhanam next month release. Audio may be out in couple of weeks then.

http://entertainment.oneindia.in/tamil/exclusive/sangeetha-dhanam-devadasi-080607.html

But I am not expecting anything great in this film...

MrJudge
8th July 2008, 05:08 PM
[tscii:ee1a473b1c]Ilayaraja is back with a bang
IndiaGlitz [Tuesday, July 08, 2008]

After a brief lull, Ilayaraja is back with his best. His tunes in 'Uliyin Osai' went on to become hits. What's more…. his background score in the movie was also critically hailed.

Now the maestro is keen to continue his good run. He has got a couple of biggies in his kitty for this year. Director Bala's 'Naan Kadavul' and the Namitha starrer 'Jagan Mohini'.

Bala and Ilayaraja have always hit the bull’s eye with their association. Buzz is that the songs in 'Naan Kadavul' have shaped out to be very good.

There are also huge expectations for 'Jaganmohini' for it is a period film and Ilayaraja is known to weave magic in such ventures.[/tscii:ee1a473b1c]

thumburu
9th July 2008, 05:54 PM
Regarding "ULiyin Oasai" , I read few of you mentioning "Kaalathai vendra " song to be based on Kiravani . I beg to differ. I feel it is loosely based on "VakuLabharanam" scale. Iam reminded of hysterisis whenever I listen to Bhavathaarini with that annoying lag.
Coming back to the song, IR has once again creatively interjected the shenoy or nadhaswaram sound in one of the charanams , befitting the lyrics . I remember in "vayasu puLLa" song from the jinxed movie "en aNNan" , preceding the line "nadhaswaram munnala thaan naanum neeyum pinnodu thaan" , there comes a very spectacular nadhaswaram piece in the middle , playing the "mohanam" .

Vkrish
10th July 2008, 03:38 AM
Vineeth's interview
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MDNL-TI84oY

vasanth2006
10th July 2008, 04:15 AM
After long time, I like this IR's album (UO).....This is Vintage Raja.....

Sureshs65
10th July 2008, 10:49 AM
Thumburu,

I too didn't think 'Kaalathai Vendra' was Keeravani. It has a Mayamalavagowla feel to it but it is not Mayamalavagowla. I didn't think of Vakulabaranam. I guess Vakulabaranam in the next raga to MMG in the Melakartha scale. Maybe that is why I heard the MMG tinge (?)

I too noted that very brief but a lovely nadaswaram in this song. Excellent stuff.

MrJudge
10th July 2008, 10:56 AM
I too noted that very brief but a lovely nadaswaram in this song. Excellent stuff.

Isn't it shenoy? It sounds like it.

Sureshs65
10th July 2008, 11:51 AM
I guess you are the right Judge :)) It does sound like a shenoy.

S.Suresh

raja_fan
11th July 2008, 06:25 AM
[tscii:7d25c4b591]
The Hindu review of UO ! Positive ! :thumbsup:

http://www.hindu.com/cp/2008/07/11/stories/2008071150050200.htm

"M. Karunanidhi’s script, Ilaiyaraja’s music and B. Kannan’s camera work combine to make J. Nandhini Arts’ Uliyin Osai interesting. "

[/tscii:7d25c4b591]

raja_fan
11th July 2008, 06:44 AM
[tscii:1c03103f21]

Another version from "The Hindu" !

Has a separate section for IR's "Background score" :clap:

http://www.hindu.com/fr/2008/07/11/stories/2008071150050200.htm

Background score

"Ilaiyaraaja’s acumen in re-recording is evident in a number of scenes, particularly where Muthunagai comes to the sculptor’s place to inspect his work. The background score flows like a beautiful river pausing for a second before resuming. Work of the highest order.

Most of the seven songs are pleasant, ‘Kalathai Venra Kalainganivan,’ sung by Bhavatharini and Sriram Parthasarathy being the most appealing."

I read in thatstamil report that people are clapping for IR's rerecording in Mayajaal multiplex. I did not believe it, but now think that it could be true !!! :D

[/tscii:1c03103f21]

MrJudge
11th July 2008, 01:42 PM
read in thatstamil report that people are clapping for IR's rerecording in Mayajaal multiplex. I did not believe it, but now think that it could be true !!!

Are you sure people clapping for re-recording and that too in Mayajaal?

littlemaster1982
11th July 2008, 01:52 PM
read in thatstamil report that people are clapping for IR's rerecording in Mayajaal multiplex. I did not believe it, but now think that it could be true !!!

Are you sure people clapping for re-recording and that too in Mayajaal?

I had the same doubt :? Mayajaal crowd don't react to anything :x

jaiganes
11th July 2008, 03:21 PM
in a mediocre movie anything remotely good also will be applauded by the suffereing audiences. If the good thing is raaja's music I wouldn't mind clapping myself.

MrJudge
11th July 2008, 05:18 PM
in a mediocre movie anything remotely good also will be applauded by the suffereing audiences. If the good thing is raaja's music I wouldn't mind clapping myself.

:lol:

raja_fan
11th July 2008, 05:35 PM

Wait !.. By the reviews so far, I don't think the movie is mediocre !
I waited for the review by The Hindu and then came to the conclusion that the movie is good.
"The Hindu" rarely exaggerates facts !

And almost all the reviews have appreciated other areas like Camera, not only IR's music..

app_engine
11th July 2008, 05:43 PM
>>I waited for the review by The Hindu and then came to the conclusion that the movie is good.<<

Because the head of a big political party is involved, you cannot trust any review:-) ( Possible attitude like "pattum-padAma konjam praise paNNi vittAl kadhai mudinjadhu. edhukku anAvasiyamA thitti ezhudhi vambai vilaikku vAngaNum?". People are not going to stop reading The hindu because it praised a mediocre movie, isn't it?)

That apart, till date, I haven't read a single opinion by any hubber who've seen this movie. This is one indicator of the (non)acceptance level in TN.

raja_fan
11th July 2008, 09:43 PM
a_e,

If you are going to wait for some hubber to give his review, it will be a long wait and you cannot judge based on that !

Because the people who post here are very less and many among them are out of TN !

As far as I know, The Hindu doesn't show political loyalty on reviews..though they some times are not bold enough to criticize politicians on their moves.

In this review, you will notice that MK is referred by just his name, not by his title or post. This itself needs neutrality nowadays

app_engine
11th July 2008, 10:11 PM
r_f, may be mu-ka has done a decent job as he has capability to excel in senthamizh.

http://www.kumudam.com/magazine/Kumudam/2008-07-16/pg15.php
Kumudam, in general, ridicules the movie, praising only mu-ka & IR.

Portion relevent to music :
===========
இதற்குப் பொருத்தமாக இளையராஜாவின் இசை... உளியின் ஓசையை உயிரின் துடிப்பாக, தன் இசையால் உருமாற்றியிருக்கிறார் ராஜா. பாடல்கள் திரும்பத் திரும்ப கேட்க வைக்கும்...
===========

thumburu
14th July 2008, 06:01 PM
Could anybody post Kalki's review of "UO"?

thumburu
14th July 2008, 06:02 PM
I mean post the gist of it from Kalki weekly

Nitya
15th July 2008, 07:00 AM
Is anyone aware of a new devotional album by Ilayaraja, called "Amma Paamaalai"? The featured singers are Ilayaraja and Bhavatharini. Ilayaraja made some nice raga selections for the songs IMO (i.e., Kamavardhini, Sudha Saveri, Maand, etc.)

MrJudge
16th July 2008, 09:25 AM
'pularkindra pozhuthu' - UO song reminds me of 'vanthaal mahaalakshmiye' from Uyarintha ullam, esp in interlude and saranams.

For the way IR used gatam with mirudhangam in this song :notworthy:

raja_fan
16th July 2008, 12:02 PM
Also "Azhagi varaa" is just a rehash of "Thookku chattiya.." from Ejamaan.
Same situation and so same formula from IR..hmmm..

vel
16th July 2008, 02:33 PM
just a rehash?!?!?! :roll: - they come from two very different parent scales - one would have to work out of their skins to rehash a harikambhodhi tune to natabhairavi !

MrJudge
16th July 2008, 02:59 PM
Tabu in a Balu Mahendra film
IndiaGlitz [Wednesday, July 16, 2008]

Noted Bollywod actress Tabu is back in Tamil Cinema. She will be playing the lead in a movie titled 'Anal Katru' and the film is to be directed by none other than veteran film-maker Balu Mahendra. Designed with an off beat story the film is produced by Mumbai based ANKK Movies.

Reports indicate that Tabu was mighty impressed with the story when Balu Mahendra narrated it to her. She immediately gave her consent to be part of the mega project.

-----------------------------

So looks like Anal Katru will be started pretty soon......

Sanjeevi
16th July 2008, 03:16 PM
oru vazhiya BM script ezhuthi mudichuttarappa :)

dochu
16th July 2008, 07:23 PM
just a rehash?!?!?! :roll: - they come from two very different parent scales - one would have to work out of their skins to rehash a harikambhodhi tune to natabhairavi !

For experts like you, can differentiate the raagas and appreciate. But for ordinary people, both songs sound the same. And that makes the majority of the population, hence if it is same, novelity is 'unseen'.

:wink:

rajasaranam
16th July 2008, 08:10 PM
'pularkindra pozhuthu' - UO song reminds me of 'vanthaal mahaalakshmiye' from Uyarintha ullam, esp in interlude and saranams.

For the way IR used gatam with mirudhangam in this song :notworthy:

Easily the best song of the Album :) The rhythm keeps changing as the lyrics build into explaining various Poses. Especially the second Charanam goes into exploring some unknown Postures like
'Udal Uzhithum kalaikkatha Uzhaipaalar Nilai Kaattu...
Patham salikka saliyaatha jathiyodu Nadai Poadu...
Patham vilanga Porul koorum Mugabhavamthanai Kaattu...
Aaanantha soundaryam...
Azhagoottum Sringaaram...
Aacharaya Anavaratham...
Agora gora Samhaaram..
kongaigal aada...Kulalmalar aada Chalangaigal ( Not 'Salangai' :) )aada...chathurmarai aada
Kangamanigalodu kaivalai kulungida
Imaigal imaikka maranthithaiyangal mayangida....'
Listen to the way Sriram Parathsarathy expresses The emotion behind each word - soundrayam, sringaram, anavaratham, samhaaram...He is easily another Jesudass/SPB rightly fed by the composing genius in this album

also in the song 'Aganthaiyil aadavanath' There are few lines towards the end of the song
'Paaloottum Oarthaayin parivaana mugabhaavam
Pasithanil Parithavikkum Paattali mugabhaavam
Parathaiyar pinsendru Paazhaana mugabhaavam
siraththinai koithaalum sirikindra thidabhaavam....
and the lines that follow... every single words emotion/expression is taken care off

No Other composer in the whole world except Raaja would give such importance to make a singer emote for a song like this. Its this emotional connection that Raaja keeps intact till date which make us never abandon him come what may :oops:

I also like the way he builds the tempo towards the end in 'Abhinayam Kaatugindra' with the jalra sound accompanied by mridangam and violin.

Iam so immersed with the songs of UO... Its compositional-Lyrical-Rendering beauty that Iam afraid to see it onscreen :evil:

viraajan
16th July 2008, 08:19 PM
Are Dhanam songs out?

Ad in a paper says that "Coming Soon". Dint mention if its the movie or album

I guess its the album!!!

rajasaranam
16th July 2008, 10:52 PM
Also "Azhagi varaa" is just a rehash of "Thookku chattiya.." from Ejamaan.
Same situation and so same formula from IR..hmmm..

Amaamaam Same situation same formulathaan. Evalothaan Oru manushana Paada paduthrathunukku oru Alavae illaya?
Ithae maathiri themes/situations kuduththu kuduthu uruvi eduthaachu pala varushama! Aaana nammallalla rendu pattukku edaila konjam resemblence kandupudikka mudinjittu Perumoochuvittukka vendiyathuthaan
Listen to these songs with similar situations to understand the variety he has given for this particular theme (Relating to Food/Eating) and come to the conclusion of what else could we expect from him not to sound repetetive

Nitham Nitham Nellu soru - Mullum Malarum
Soru thinnu Naalaachu - Ninaivu chinnam
Ada Ada Vaasanai - Jothi
Kozhi muttai kozhi - Sakkalathi
Enna Samayalo/Samayal Paadame - Unnal Mudiyum thambi/Manipur maamiyaar
Enna Venum Thinnugada - Uyarntha Ullam
Kokkarko kozhi - Devathai ( A bit song )

these are some songs that comes to my mind immediately but there are many more songs in the same theme (Eating/Drinking/Food/cooking)

If we consider songs like 'Antha Kanji kalayatha' - MuthuKaalai, 'Sorunna Satti thimbom' - Kanni Raasi....Hmmm.... Intha Perumoochu avar intha chinna areala evalo experiment panni irukaarnnu nenachu paarthathunaala varathu.

vel
17th July 2008, 09:10 AM
For experts like you, can differentiate the raagas and appreciate. But for ordinary people, both songs sound the same. And that makes the majority of the population, hence if it is same, novelity is 'unseen'.

:wink:

sadly, its this very population, that didnt understand the novelty (or didnt try to understand the novelty), talk ill more often and more louder than people who understand the novelty or atleast try to appreciate the novelty...kali kaalam sir

MrJudge
17th July 2008, 12:51 PM
'pularkindra pozhuthu' - UO song

Easily the best song of the Album :) The rhythm keeps changing as the lyrics build into explaining various Poses.

Yes, this was my pick of album in the first listening. But the pallavi of kallaai valarnthen is so addictive, I changed my opinion :)

Listen to the way Sriram Parathsarathy expresses The emotion behind each word - soundrayam, sringaram, anavaratham, samhaaram...He is easily another Jesudass/SPB rightly fed by the composing genius in this album

Lot of singers have mentioned that singing for IR is tough, bendedukkaama udamattaar raja.

Its this emotional connection that Raaja keeps intact till date which make us never abandon him come what may

That is the prime reason for his excellence in bgm, IR's music is unarvupoorvamanathu.

Iam so immersed with the songs of UO... Its compositional-Lyrical-Rendering beauty that Iam afraid to see it onscreen

Yes, the best from IR in recent times. I was about to miss this album but after reading the +ve reviews here, I picked up the album and I am happy that I bought it.

raja_fan
17th July 2008, 01:55 PM
sadly, its this very population, that didnt understand the novelty (or didnt try to understand the novelty), talk ill more often and more louder than people who understand the novelty or atleast try to appreciate the novelty...kali kaalam sir

Happily I belong to this very population, which doesnt understand all your Kaambodhis,natabhairavi etc.
I respect your raaga knowledge, but if I had been knowledgable as you are, my life would have been spent in breaking the songs in to details, instead of tasting the beauty as a whole ! So no regrets :)

Also only this very population made IR a great celebrity, the simple ignorant people who just spent all their energy in tasting rather than peeping in to the kitchen on how the recipe is made etc :)

Whatever Kambodhi or Bhairavi is there, I still assert this song is just a rehash of Ejamaan song..

Even IR would not have thought about all this Raaga stuff for such songs ! Oru nimisham ucchanthalayai thottuttu harmoniathil kai vaippaaraam..avlo thaan avaroda effort :D
Michamellaam engalai pondra arivillaadha koottam paartthu kollum !

thumburu
17th July 2008, 02:17 PM
judge, the reason why you felt "kallil uyir " resembled "VandhaaL mahalakshimiye" is due to Kalyani in both the songs although the former is a ragamalika. It starts with early morning raga Bowli from "pulargindra pozhudhu" and then from "KALLIL UYIR" upto most parts , in Kalyani. He introduces Hamsanandhi at the last 2 lines of pallavi and brings it back again in the 2nd charanam . The 2nd half of first charanam transits from Kalyani to Dharmavathi. The last portions of 2nd charanam just before "thathi tharikita" is in Vasantha. A great song marred by Sriram's faltered singing, very surprising for a trained carnatic whizkid to struggle even in easy ragas like Kalyani. I would blame Raja here for not retaking .
How I miss KJY here!!! But to alleviate my grief, he does an impeccable rendition in "agandhaiyil aduvadha"

thumburu
17th July 2008, 02:27 PM
To identify a rotten apple, one need not have any music knowledge, just a pair of hearing ears is enough. wHETHER IT IS Natabhairavi or SindhuBhairavi, "Azhagi vara" is worser than a nursery rhyme, may be Raja's sound boy composed it.
Regarding the rehash of "thooku" song, it is easy to compose n songs with different scales with the similar sandhams like a formula. Raja has done it so many times . Take the case of "Chola vaLa naadu" set to Pahaadi scale which is simply a rehash of "pacha mala poovu" or "endhu paranjaalum" in Shankarabharanam scale. Even a lay person like me can use the same sandhams and retune in say a mohanam or Vasantha or some xyz scale. Idhu enna pramaadham?

vel
17th July 2008, 02:51 PM
raja_fan and thumburu, excellent posts, very enlightening. thank you both for the brilliant insights into IR's capabilities. Goes to prove what i said.

raja_fan
17th July 2008, 06:01 PM
Regarding the rehash of "thooku" song, it is easy to compose n songs with different scales with the similar sandhams like a formula. Raja has done it so many times . Take the case of "Chola vaLa naadu" set to Pahaadi scale which is simply a rehash of "pacha mala poovu" or "endhu paranjaalum" in Shankarabharanam scale. Even a lay person like me can use the same sandhams and retune in say a mohanam or Vasantha or some xyz scale. Idhu enna pramaadham?

I disagree !
Oruvar velai-yai paarthu, idhu enna pramaadham-nu ketkkaradhu easy. To do it is talent.

I can tell it is a rehash. But to rehash is IR's talent.

He has already told "Music is a cheating business", with examples from MSV's "Veedu varai uravu", "Pesuvadhu kiliyaa" etc.
Sari avare sollittaare, naamalum cheat pannalaamnu try panninaa appo theriyum...Avar avar thaan...naama naama thaan..:)

dochu
17th July 2008, 06:26 PM
I didn't mean to belittle IR's efforts. It lacked novelty to ordinary people. As raja_fan said, it is these people that made IR the greatest and also has the capability to pull him down as well - which is quite evident now.

When annakili song came out, nobody cared about ragas or stuff - it was flowing like a honey in the ears to everybody.

Now, I think we cannot accept the fact that IR lost his charm, and hence trying to excuse ourselves by analyzing and finding things that can be worth to talk about from his music.

I am wondering, being IR fans, are we all 'sub consciously' doing that as we are yet to accept that his time is 'over' (which is not a bad thing either)?

Sureshs65
17th July 2008, 06:44 PM
While 'Endu Paranjalum' is a retuning of 'Pacha Mala Poovu', the effect that he gets in 'Endu Paranjalum' is amazing. While it could be easy to use the sandam and come up with a new tune in a different raga which impacts you as powerfully as 'Endu Paranjalum' requires a genius. Love that song.

rajasaranam
17th July 2008, 07:41 PM
முன்பு ராஜா ஒரு காட்டாறு! வழியில் இருந்தது எல்லாம் ஒதுங்கி கொள்ள 'ஜோ'ன்னு கொட்ற இசையருவி கீழ நின்னு அதை ரசித்தோம். இப்ப நிச்சலனமாய் கடந்து போகும் நதி! மூழ்கிதான் ரசிக்கனும். வேண்டாம் என்பவர்கள் கொஞ்சம் பின்னோக்கி போய் அருவியில் நனைய தடை இல்லை. நதியின் ஆழத்தையும் அமைதியையும் ரசிக்க நினைப்பவர்கள் இங்கு வரவும் தடை இல்லை.
இதில் உயர்வென்ன தாழ்வென்ன? என் அவா சிக்கிரம் அவர் கடலாய் சமுத்திரமாய் மாற வேண்டும் என்பதே. ஒரு பத்து பதினைந்து 'சிம்பொனி'களாவது அமைக்க வேண்டும், என் வாழ்வு தீர்வதற்க்குள் கடலாட வேண்டும்.

app_engine
17th July 2008, 07:50 PM
nice analogy about "samudhram" rs:-)

There were postings by many about the aruvi-ARu comparisons from time to time, including one by myself long back, but you've gone one step further!

viraajan
17th July 2008, 07:53 PM
முன்பு ராஜா ஒரு காட்டாறு! வழியில் இருந்தது எல்லாம் ஒதுங்கி கொள்ள 'ஜோ'ன்னு கொட்ற இசையருவி கீழ நின்னு அதை ரசித்தோம். இப்ப நிச்சலனமாய் கடந்து போகும் நதி! மூழ்கிதான் ரசிக்கனும். வேண்டாம் என்பவர்கள் கொஞ்சம் பின்னோக்கி போய் அருவியில் நனைய தடை இல்லை. நதியின் ஆழத்தையும் அமைதியையும் ரசிக்க நினைப்பவர்கள் இங்கு வரவும் தடை இல்லை.
இதில் உயர்வென்ன தாழ்வென்ன? என் அவா சிக்கிரம் அவர் கடலாய் சமுத்திரமாய் மாற வேண்டும் என்பதே. ஒரு பத்து பதினைந்து 'சிம்பொனி'களாவது அமைக்க வேண்டும், என் வாழ்வு தீர்வதற்க்குள் கடலாட வேண்டும்.

Fantastic lines. I don't know how to type in tamil in this forum. Else i would hav replied in Tamil. Fantastic Wordings!!!

app_engine
17th July 2008, 08:06 PM
>>I don't know how to type in tamil in this forum<<

Please use the Tamil TypePad link on top of the reply box. It's unicode & phonetic - very simple

vel
17th July 2008, 08:25 PM
என் அவா சிக்கிரம் அவர் கடலாய் சமுத்திரமாய் மாற வேண்டும் என்பதே. ஒரு பத்து பதினைந்து 'சிம்பொனி'களாவது அமைக்க வேண்டும், என் வாழ்வு தீர்வதற்க்குள் கடலாட வேண்டும்.

wow, very well said rajasaranam - not 10 or 15 symphonies, he can make even several more than that - and even today, he is the only one who has the potential & capability to even attempt that feat.

Great post ! Enjoyed reading it....

raja_fan
17th July 2008, 08:39 PM
வழியில் இருந்தது எல்லாம் ஒதுங்கி கொள்ள 'ஜோ'ன்னு கொட்ற இசையருவி கீழ நின்னு அதை ரசித்தோம். இப்ப நிச்சலனமாய் கடந்து போகும் நதி! மூழ்கிதான் ரசிக்கனும். வேண்டாம் என்பவர்கள் கொஞ்சம் பின்னோக்கி போய் அருவியில் நனைய தடை இல்லை.

Arumai, arumai ! RS, ungalai maadhiri karpanaiyoda oruvar yen IR-kku paattu ezhudha koodaadhu ? :)

realactivex
17th July 2008, 09:20 PM
I have requested this in this forum earlier on.
While i do appreciate that this forum is mostly visited by tamilians, why is it made so obvious that non-tamizh speaking fans of IR are unwelcome here?
Sometime you need a specific language to convey a local flavor or a specific emotion. But why cant you cheaply translate it to english for non-tamil followers to understand where the discussion is headed to?
I do hope you agree with me that IR has fans in other languages as well? Do we need a separate telugu, a kannada, a hindi, malayalam discussion forums for IR's fans?

A very aggrieved IR fan. :-(
No hard feelings towards any language. It is just a feeling of being left out. especially when the topic is IR.

irir123
17th July 2008, 09:46 PM
rajasaranam - sent you a PM - pls check the same -thx

viraajan
17th July 2008, 09:48 PM
Thanks to App_engine for helping me out. Am able to type in tamil.

I was about to post this in tamil, but after seeing realactivex's comment, I have decided to post this in english.

This is a true incident happened in a Tamilian Couple family settled in German. Wife was pregnant and was in 7th month. Usually baby should get movement at this stage. But there had been no sign of movement in her stomach. They were shocked and consulted many doctors. Doctors tried all the possible ways to make the baby move but in vain. Doctors gave a warning too that this is unusual and this is not the way it should be.

A miracle happened when they returned home. They played Ilayaraja's "Thiruvasagam" at home. The moment they played it, wife felt her baby's movement in stomach. They were stunned. They were clueless if it was just a coincidence or it was really baby's reaction to Thiruvasagam. They tried executing the same method before they could come to a conclusion on this. But surprisingly, she could feel the movement only when Thiruvasagam was played. Even Doctors were stunned on this fact. Now, the baby is born (Normal Delivery) :)

Source: Kumudham - Arasu Badhilgal!!!!

rajasaranam
17th July 2008, 10:41 PM
I have requested this in this forum earlier on.
While i do appreciate that this forum is mostly visited by tamilians, why is it made so obvious that non-tamizh speaking fans of IR are unwelcome here?
Sometime you need a specific language to convey a local flavor or a specific emotion. But why cant you cheaply translate it to english for non-tamil followers to understand where the discussion is headed to?
I do hope you agree with me that IR has fans in other languages as well? Do we need a separate telugu, a kannada, a hindi, malayalam discussion forums for IR's fans?

A very aggrieved IR fan. :-(
No hard feelings towards any language. It is just a feeling of being left out. especially when the topic is IR.

REX,
Please participate actively in the discussions happening here. You seem to come here once in a bluemoon, when you post like this...though its not the case and you hang around the hub everyday and read all the posts made in IR forum (the understanding I got from talking to you long back). You should make people realise your presence. otherwise we tend to talk within ourselves. NOM :)

Anyway the gist of my post - for the people who are constantly repeating that Raaja has lost his charm, fire blah blah blah....

"Raaja then was like a waterfall gushing and falling with all its force and we were swept away by the musical outpour standing below it. Now his music is more like a serene river, into which we have to take a dip and soak ourselves, delve deeply, explore the beauties and enjoy it. For those who dont want this, can take a walk back to enjoy the waterfall, which is not restricted and for those who want to enjoy the calm and deep river can come here which is also not restricted.
But my wish is that he transform into a ocean soon and compose atleast 10 to 15 symphonies. I want to swim in this ocean before my life ends" :)

rajasaranam
17th July 2008, 10:46 PM
rajasaranam - sent you a PM - pls check the same -thx

Replied :D

rajasaranam
17th July 2008, 10:51 PM
...And thanx for all to have appreciated that post. It came from the heart and.. hey doesnt all our hearts sing the same song!

Sanjeevi
17th July 2008, 10:54 PM
rs, kalakkal post :clap:

rajasaranam
17th July 2008, 10:59 PM
[tscii:d92fe4e738]Today seems to be a Raaja field day :D
http://www.thehindu.com/2008/07/17/stories/2008071753410400.htm

TIRUPATI: When Mahatma Gandhi’s last bhajan ‘O namrata ke saagar!’ saw light on Wednesday (16 July 2008), full seventy years after it was written, perhaps divine intervention saw to it that it was first heard officially in the abode of Lord Venkateswara! What else could be the explanation for the high-profile Aditya Birla group releasing the much-sought-after audio compact disc in the midst of engineering students in the temple city of Tirupati?

The fact that the music was composed by maestro Ilayaraja and the Hindustani classical exponent Pandit Bhimsen Joshi lent his voice for the thought-provoking number accords it a cult status.

The CD was released in Sree Vidyaniketan Engineering College, run by film actor and former Rajya Sabha member M. Mohan Babu on Wednesday. Bharat Parekh, the General Manager of Aditya Birla group gave away the first copy to the music wizard Ilayaraja, who in turn handed it over to Mr. Mohan Babu for use in the college.

The ‘bhajan’, which requests the Lord to bestow humility upon the humans and bless the country with prosperity, was said to have been written by the Mahatma during his stay with the Birlas. The Congress and even the Gandhi family never knew such a ‘bhajan’ existed until the Birlas stumbled upon it accidentally, three years back.

“We have given a copy even to Tushar Gandhi, the great grandson of the Mahatma,” he announced.

Ilayaraja explained how he found himself on a sticky wicket, trying to compose tune for the couplet, which was more like a soliloquy. “What turned out at the end was a mellifluous number, sung by the greatest Hindustani classical singer,” he said and sang the first two lines, amid a thunderous applause.

Athu... :oops:

REX Now you translate this and post :P http://eenadu.net/story.asp?qry1=24&reccount=26

[/tscii:d92fe4e738]

entertainment
18th July 2008, 03:53 AM

Rajasaranam,
Nice post. I sent you a PM.

dochu
18th July 2008, 06:53 AM
rs,
really admired your poetic ability.

as you acknowledged, this forum is a place where people can express their views. I lack the ability to analyze as critically as you and few other people over here. But people like me are the majority now. Maybe if I make an effort to learn raagas, it might make sense - but we all have different things to do in life and talents. for some, unfortunately, it is not possble.

I am not condemning people like you to swim in the calm river, but accept the fact the majority are standing on the other side and wondering what are you searching for as all excitement with waterfall is far gone. I just expressed views that those songs resembled the same.

for you and us to see IR as an ocean, he should be able to satisfy the mass again. Otherwise another TIS with a heavy financial failure will forthcome and nobody will be ready to sign up for anything.

so (although I don't wish), days towards 15 symponies are far beyond the horizon.

NOM.

d.

krish244
18th July 2008, 09:14 AM
[tscii:3f64a5ef43]Today seems to be a Raaja field day :D
http://www.thehindu.com/2008/07/17/stories/2008071753410400.htm

TIRUPATI: When Mahatma Gandhi’s last bhajan ‘O namrata ke saagar!’ saw light on Wednesday (16 July 2008), full seventy years after it was written, perhaps divine intervention saw to it that it was first heard officially in the abode of Lord Venkateswara! What else could be the explanation for the high-profile Aditya Birla group releasing the much-sought-after audio compact disc in the midst of engineering students in the temple city of Tirupati?

The fact that the music was composed by maestro Ilayaraja and the Hindustani classical exponent Pandit Bhimsen Joshi lent his voice for the thought-provoking number accords it a cult status.

The CD was released in Sree Vidyaniketan Engineering College, run by film actor and former Rajya Sabha member M. Mohan Babu on Wednesday. Bharat Parekh, the General Manager of Aditya Birla group gave away the first copy to the music wizard Ilayaraja, who in turn handed it over to Mr. Mohan Babu for use in the college.

The ‘bhajan’, which requests the Lord to bestow humility upon the humans and bless the country with prosperity, was said to have been written by the Mahatma during his stay with the Birlas. The Congress and even the Gandhi family never knew such a ‘bhajan’ existed until the Birlas stumbled upon it accidentally, three years back.

“We have given a copy even to Tushar Gandhi, the great grandson of the Mahatma,” he announced.

Ilayaraja explained how he found himself on a sticky wicket, trying to compose tune for the couplet, which was more like a soliloquy. “What turned out at the end was a mellifluous number, sung by the greatest Hindustani classical singer,” he said and sang the first two lines, amid a thunderous applause.

Athu... :oops:

REX Now you translate this and post :P http://eenadu.net/story.asp?qry1=24&reccount=26

[/tscii:3f64a5ef43]

I am very curious to know (hear) the outcome of IR and Pandit Bhimsen Joshi combination

thanks,

Krishnan

vel
18th July 2008, 10:30 AM
என் அவா சிக்கிரம் அவர் கடலாய் சமுத்திரமாய் மாற வேண்டும் என்பதே. ஒரு பத்து பதினைந்து 'சிம்பொனி'களாவது அமைக்க வேண்டும், என் வாழ்வு தீர்வதற்க்குள் கடலாட வேண்டும்.

worth reading several times rajasaranam, the above statement of yours - you said what all fans wanted to say but could not string it as good as you have ....Great post ! Enjoyed re-reading it....[/quote]

kameshratnam
18th July 2008, 11:45 AM
[quote=realactivex]
But my wish is that he transform into a ocean soon and compose atleast 10 to 15 symphonies. I want to swim in this ocean before my life ends" :)

Swimming ellam appala pakkalam ....Will he even release his 1st? thats a BIG question mark :D

vel
18th July 2008, 12:06 PM
Even if he does, will people buy it or search only for 1.5 minutes samples or resort to thiruttuthanamaana stealing - illegal MP3 downloads!

krish244
20th July 2008, 01:57 PM
listening to "Punnagaiyil Minsaram" song from Bharathan (from www.thiraipaadal.com). Funky/Interesting music. Especially the prelude and the way the first interlude starts. I loved it. Even the 2nd interlude is interesting. The way the prelude starts sounds as if its an interlude. Get to listen lots of unheard songs of IR from this site. Good.

Sorry for the digression. Which is the thread where we can discuss old songs?

thanks,

Krishnan

crvenky
20th July 2008, 02:41 PM
Krish, its one of my favourite songs sung by IR. Read these interesting blogs also.

http://andaiayal.blogspot.com/2008/07/blog-post_15.html
http://www.writerpara.net/?p=125

krish244
20th July 2008, 03:07 PM
Thanks for the link Venky! Just read a little, but will need to read it more later. More than IR's singing, the preludes/interludes attracted much more of my attention.

I was pleasantly surprised with the funky base portions, drums, etc of the prelude and interlude, especially the way the 1st interlude starts with the base + the synth tune. Amazing!

thanks,

Krishnan

jaiganes
21st July 2008, 01:33 AM
'punnagayil minsaaram' seemed to be a catchy song - but nothing great to me initially. However after watching the MG.Sreekumar - IR interview for amirtha TV, this song has been in my mind as to how the composition was done.
Particularly considering how the words - syllables were split to bring in a 'rule less feel' which is in sharp contrast to how the words/syllables are treated with respect in regular raaja songs. If he feels that the song written by the poet does not sit on the tune perfectly, he asks the kavignar politely to substitute a different word instead of having the singer rush or stretch the word to suit the tune.
In this tune/song, the splitting of words to suit the tune is done in a chequered style matching the funky tune more than anything else.

'punn naga yil min saaram...'
instead of the more traditional
'punagayil minsaram' which would have been more bland.
again when 'nenjellaam' is stretched beyond the required maathirai, it is setup for the funky synth drum beats at the end.
The movie had awesome BGM score, some good action scenes, but overall was a very poor remake of 'ghayal'.

krish244
22nd July 2008, 07:30 PM
Mallepuvvu (Telugu) audio to release on 28th of this month:

http://www.indiaglitz.com/channels/telugu/article/40139.html

thanks,

Krishnan

krish244
22nd July 2008, 07:38 PM
A silent movie in Kannada (??) with music by IR. Movie name is "Mirror".

I guess, for a change, we don't have to expect an audio release :).

http://kannada.galatta.com/entertainment/kannada/livewire/id/Mirror_Reflecting_Silence_17176.html

thanks,

Krishnan

app_engine
23rd July 2008, 10:00 AM
uLiyin Osai - AhAh! How much time since we heard this kind of songs!!

I simply love 'abhinayam kAttukinRa AraNangE', good energy, excellent (effortless) singing by experts (unlike other songs in this album where one can feel some struggle - even for classically untrained ears like mine).

Add the grand string accompaniment!

My pick of the album!

app_engine
23rd July 2008, 10:15 AM
Isn't the word "AraNangE" being used for the first time in TFM or are there prior instances?

That's another nice thing about this album - with the exception of azhagi varA that has totally irritating lyrics sung by irritating voices - veettukkAri kooda "ippdi" AkkippOda mAtta...yuck - (despite pleasing musical arrangement IMO, the second interlude is inimitable IR) - all songs have some nalla Thamizh!

app_engine
23rd July 2008, 10:30 AM
Once urumi comes in, chOzha vaLa nAdu reaches a different, exotic plane:-) Nice ending..wish this pace started a little earlier in the song! Simply give IR words like 'oyilAttam, mayilAttam' and his enthu simply pichchukkittuppOyidum:-)

Wish he does more of such enthusiastic numbers! To this date, no song by any MD has surpassed the prelude of 'adiyEi manam nillunnA nikkAdhadee' in sheer energy! (and people release dozens of kuththuppAttu everyday)

app_engine
23rd July 2008, 10:55 AM
"kAlaththai venRa" is in the "oLiyilE therivadhu dhEvadhaiyA'" mould and IR has used similar style of singers (infact the female voice is same). Alas, the difference is the changed rhythm arrangement in the UO song (very different from the azhagi song) which totally exposed the limitations of the singers:-( Had IR used a "running" style of rhythm, they could have been saved as the difficulties could get masked off, IMO.

nanchil_guy
23rd July 2008, 11:09 AM
Wish he does more of such enthusiastic numbers! To this date, no song by any MD has surpassed the prelude of 'adiyEi manam nillunnA nikkAdhadee' in sheer energy! (and people release dozens of kuththuppAttu everyday)

Thats the beauty of IR's music.He has churned out countless number of such kuthu songs, but there was rythem and harmony in all those kuthu songs.thats amazing you know, on the one hand you would enjoy the lively/energetic music on the other hand you dont get irritated coz there wasnt any rythem/harmony.

its realy difficult to have these qualities in such kuthu numbers, but IR did it with ease. ippa vara kuthu songs a ketta :x , hmm.. Athu oru kana kaalam!!!

rajasaranam
23rd July 2008, 01:24 PM
Until the next album release keep listening to this composition from 'Namrata ke Saagar' :wink:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z86LscyJhNY
http://www.esnips.com/doc/454777ff-426a-40a7-adc7-922366648373/Namrata-ke-Saagar--Mahathma-Gandhi-Ilaiyaraaja-Bhimsen-Joshi

krish244
23rd July 2008, 02:09 PM
Thanks Rajasaranam! I liked the song. Although, it has IR touches in it, it sounds a little different because of the orchestration (the way the rhythm starts is nice), Pandit's singing style (i have never heard non-classical so far!). Does the tune (including chorus portions) have more hindustani classical touch? Good bhajan like tune. I liked it. Need to listen in better quality.

thanks,

Krishnan

raja_fan
23rd July 2008, 02:44 PM
Thanks RS !

I expected some credits at the end showing IR's name ! But as usual he will go unnoticed, I suppose :(

crajkumar_be
23rd July 2008, 02:56 PM
:exactly: 200% Right!

Thats the beauty of IR's music.He has churned out countless number of such kuthu songs, but there was rythem and harmony in all those kuthu songs.thats amazing you know, on the one hand you would enjoy the lively/energetic music on the other hand you dont get irritated coz there wasnt any rythem/harmony.

its realy difficult to have these qualities in such kuthu numbers, but IR did it with ease. ippa vara kuthu songs a ketta :x , hmm.. Athu oru kana kaalam!!!

raja_fan
23rd July 2008, 03:09 PM
[tscii:7cfa7c24fa]

Emotional scenes !!

http://www.hindu.com/fr/2008/07/18/stories/2008071850160200.htm

Overwhelmed by the response and admitting his entry into the twilight of his career, Ilayaraja turned emotional at the fag end of his speech and declared, “Even if not on the music charts or in tinsel town buzz, I will remain firmly ensconced in the hearts of music lovers...!”

Nicchayamaa thalaivaa..Naanga irukkom unakkaaga !

:notworthy: [/tscii:7cfa7c24fa]

raja_fan
23rd July 2008, 03:13 PM
http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/Cities/Gandhis_bhajan_in_Big_Bs_voice/articleshow/3266436.cms

The fact that the music is being composed by southern maestro Ilayaraja and Hindustani music exponent Pandit Bhimsen Joshi has lent his voice to the thought-provoking number, is giving it cult status.

"We want to make the album, which will be released by the year-end, world class. For Birlas, Gandhi's thoughts are priceless and we want to spread this bhajan to GenNext. We have given a copy to Tushar Gandhi, the great-grandson of the Mahatma," adds Parekh.

Adhenna..Southern Maestro ?? Thirundhave maataanunga :sigh2:

irir123
23rd July 2008, 04:30 PM
[tscii:57c4f5dee9]

Emotional scenes !!

http://www.hindu.com/fr/2008/07/18/stories/2008071850160200.htm

Overwhelmed by the response and admitting his entry into the twilight of his career, Ilayaraja turned emotional at the fag end of his speech and declared, “Even if not on the music charts or in tinsel town buzz, I will remain firmly ensconced in the hearts of music lovers...!”

Nicchayamaa thalaivaa..Naanga irukkom unakkaaga !

:notworthy: [/tscii:57c4f5dee9]

raja_fan, most great composers (not the Indian filmy ones) careers begin post 60 years of age - John Williams is 70plus and going strong - IR is in that league - please wait, IR will get a big push up soon!

Sureshs65
23rd July 2008, 05:17 PM
Thanks RS for the song.

I think it is the Pandit's voice in the beginning and later someone else picks up. Someone who is an expert in Hindustani music can clarify.

A very nice and pleasing tune. Very apt for a bhajan.

Sureshs65
23rd July 2008, 05:21 PM
Tune seems to be based on Sindhu Bhairavi, a raga well suited for bhajans.

njv
23rd July 2008, 05:58 PM
A silent movie in Kannada (??) with music by IR. Movie name is "Mirror".

I guess, for a change, we don't have to expect an audio release :).

http://kannada.galatta.com/entertainment/kannada/livewire/id/Mirror_Reflecting_Silence_17176.html

thanks,

Krishnan

Why not! If at all, only IR can do this as well. "Nisabdhathayum Saththamaai kodukkum thiran yaarukku irukku?"

dochu
23rd July 2008, 07:27 PM
Mahatma's Bhajan - got a new life.

Song is heavenly!!!

Is that the only song in the album. Hope more is there.

d

rajasaranam
23rd July 2008, 07:39 PM
Now, I think we cannot accept the fact that IR lost his charm, and hence trying to excuse ourselves by analyzing and finding things that can be worth to talk about from his music.

I am wondering, being IR fans, are we all 'sub consciously' doing that as we are yet to accept that his time is 'over' (which is not a bad thing either)?

Song is heavenly!!!

:twisted: NOM :P

rooky
23rd July 2008, 10:56 PM
Was away from the forum for a short time...

So, Next IR's album on the way soon..
http://entertainment.in.msn.com/southcinema/article.aspx?cp-documentid=1583595

Though all of us always wanted IR to be sucessful (esp. in TFM), 2007 was not to be but for the few bright ones in Hindi and Malayalam.

I somehow feel that there is something positive happening in IR's front and as an IR fan, am really eager to enjoy the bright moments of IR.

MumbaiRamki
23rd July 2008, 10:56 PM
RS,
dochu;s comments still valid for movie songs ( to an extent)..
But these kind of songs ( mahatma ghandhi bhajan) is an aberration- plainly because raaja is one with the theme and he has lesser restrictions

dochu
24th July 2008, 04:11 AM

Song is heavenly!!!

:twisted: NOM :P

RS,
Personally, I like to be a critic - appreciate when things are good and criticize when it isn't.

That is why I criticized Azhagi varaa....from UO. It is darn waste even for musicians to sit and play that. IR can produce brilliant compositions which is evident from that bhajan. Why produce a waste like Azhagi varaa. Maybe he is not into film music nowadays. Why do it then? That is my criticism.

If the majority of us criticize for things like that, I am sure he has to listen and change. Although being such a devoted fan, personally I felt that supporting "azhagi varaa songs" is just not going anywhere. I would like to remain a critic - unbiased.

Thanks MR for supporting my views.

NOM. :)

MumbaiRamki
24th July 2008, 10:03 AM
This bhajan is very well shot too !! The quality of sound recoding is good.

MumbaiRamki
24th July 2008, 10:06 AM
"If the majority of us criticize for things like that, I am sure he has to listen and change"

No Way ! Whatever minimal interaction i had with Kr through EMails -

1) They are very sensitive people . Reviews do affect them and they get angry if the reviewer doesn't understand the nuances or beauty of music. Although i haven't persoanally interacted with them . Some of TFers have interacted. May be they can say something abt this.

2) Commercial things affect them less. They always want to be in a state where their interaction is only with swaras ...

rajasaranam
24th July 2008, 11:59 AM
RS,
Personally, I like to be a critic - appreciate when things are good and criticize when it isn't.

That is why I criticized Azhagi varaa....from UO. It is darn waste even for musicians to sit and play that. IR can produce brilliant compositions which is evident from that bhajan. Why produce a waste like Azhagi varaa. Maybe he is not into film music nowadays. Why do it then? That is my criticis

I have no problem with critics biased/unbiased. I just dont care. But Care when people say Raaja has 'Lost his charm' 'His time is over' Etc.,
Predominantly he is a film music composer and Film music is very limited in scope. there will a 'Azhagi vara' and there will be a 'Pularkindra Pozhuthu' and 'N' number of situations which are beaten to death. Yes we can wish that he need not compose anymore for movies and compose only 'Symphonies' but what else will he do. In his own words its like Asking him to stop Breathing. We ourselves cant simply do that Saying 'hey here the Air is polluted a little, lemme stop breathing for sometime and breathe only when I get pure oxygen'.
He needs to keep composing and there will be many more 'Azhagi Vara's in the years to come and Raaja doesnt see a difference here too. Again in his own words "What use of A sculptor who doesnt know to sculpt a grinding stone but can make beautiful sculptures". People need both. People who dont need either of them can listen to him selectively, without cribbing, about why he does the other.
Even if you want to crib you are free to do But never say 'He has lost his charm' 'His time is over' etc. He is here to stay for many more years and churn out wonderful music for all of us. :)

raja_fan
24th July 2008, 12:15 PM
Namrata Ke Sagar has been released or not ?

TOI says release is by this year end. Then what happened in Tirupati then ?

thumburu
24th July 2008, 04:51 PM
Songs like "abhinayam kaatugindra" and "againdhaiyil aaduvadha" should find their place among the prestigious all time classics of TFM. Whether it is musical brilliance or lyrical beauty or impeccable renditiopn, they are in no way inferior to the classics . Hope we realize this and give the songs their due.
My "naathanaar"'s son, a budding carnatic wizard under the tutilege of Sanjay Subramanian was amazed by the rare "Ragavardhini" raga used for "abhinayam kaatugindra".He belongs to those breed who cock-a-snook at cinema songs , in general. He was equally bowled over by the Rasikapriya based "agandhaiyil aaduvadha" . According to him, there are very few krithis in ragas like Ragavardhini/Rasikapriya and these songs clearly show mark of a genius. Seems like Raja still has some music left in him

thumburu
24th July 2008, 05:03 PM
raja_fan, whether u agree or not, it is a fact that songs like "azhagi varra" are simply earsores . They come just like that requiring no thought or effort unlike songs like "abhinayam kaattugindra" which Iam sure Raja would have composed after some thougt and deliberation. It is songs like these which add up to make the junk to good ratio high which vijayr was lamenting long back in this forum

vel
24th July 2008, 05:06 PM
rajasaranam - once again, a very nice post ! especially appreciate your last statement,"He is here to stay for many more years and churn out wonderful music for all of us" - Boy, that he will, i am fully convinced :-))

vel
24th July 2008, 05:17 PM
thumburu, you can continue to have fun with your digs at azhagi vara [but dont dare again to say things like even i can compose it, or its like nursery rhyme or its worse than srikanth deva's number... :lol: adi vizhum :evil: 8-) ]

thumburu
24th July 2008, 05:23 PM
vel, do u expect critics to perform? edhu edhu neenga raja nd family ya vida sensitive aa irukkeLe?

vel
24th July 2008, 05:29 PM
deleted.

thumburu
24th July 2008, 05:47 PM
Dig :
vel sir, firstly, am not a "sir". apparam critics tendhu criticism thavira veru edhuvum xpect pannina thappu dhaan. Raja musicla vaLarndha yaarukkum konjamaavadhu andha aasai irukkume.
BTW I also maiden composed for the same song "sindhi pogum mugile" written by Udhaya of Dhool fame in Hamsadhwani scale :)

rajasaranam
24th July 2008, 05:50 PM
Thanks Vel :) I had been listening deliberately to 'Azhagi vara' in repeat mode to find out what is that people are finding fault with this song and why so much grouse :( I feel after multiple listenings that it is perfectly a situational song and nothing wrong init musically. There are no dliberate attempts to infuse some 'sounds' to make it attractive or no glamour. Its plain and simple tune while the orchestration is at its best. Especially the first interlude and the cahranam that ensues are a treat to listen to I dont think SD, VS or anybody else could conceive such patterns like
' Female chorus1: Ada thamukadicha thavuladicha thaalaam
Male Chorus: Hey thagara dappa..
Female Chorus 1: Ada amukki vacha payiru makka cholam
Male Chorus: Hey Damukku dakka
Female Chorus 1: oru ponna kanda...
MC: Pinnalla thaan poarom
Female Chorus 2: Hey Achukichaan
Female Chorus 1: Ava kanna kanda
Male Chorus: Kaattum bada Veeram
Female Chorus 2:Pichikichaan..
Male singer: munthiri thoatta sundari yekka machanukku manthiri yekka
Male Chorus :(Repeat) munthiri....
Male singer: Pozhappa vittu ponnunga pinnal poarom poarom...

Just to conceive such complexity for this small part of the song, it will take eons for any other composer (Yes they can come up with something like this only after sitting over the mixing console and try it out). Raaja does it very casually and we are ready to throw this away as junk.

My only grouse is the lyrics of the songs But from a layman POV that is also perfectly alright. Enna panrathu namma ellam konjam padichu munneri 'Elite' aagi vittom athaan ithu mathiri saatharana makkaloda paattellam kevalamaa theriyuthu.

vel
24th July 2008, 06:44 PM
Enna panrathu namma ellam konjam padichu munneri 'Elite' aagi vittom athaan ithu mathiri saatharana makkaloda paattellam kevalamaa theriyuthu.

evvalavu sathiyamaana vaarthai idhu...poli'thanangalil maati konda thamilanai cinemavil theerthu kattum velai thangar bachaan (also cheran) seiyaraaru; TFM'la neenga seiyareenga...vaazhga, en vaazhthukkal..for e.g. soru enbadhu dhaan thooya thamizh sol, aana thamizhan indru rice, saadham dhaan sapiduraan, soru saapiduvadhillai...'azhagi vara saadham thara'nna or rice tharaanu lyrics irundha oru velai indha song innavum reach aagiyirukkumo ennavo :lol:

Sureshs65
24th July 2008, 07:00 PM
Thumburu,

I had the same experience. I didn't know 'Ragavardhini' when I heard it. It sounded somewhat like Charukesi but I could hear some vivadhi. So I sent a clip to my musician friend and asked him about the raga. He is also a very staunch carnatic fan and doesnt care much about film music. He was very impressed saying that it is great that they are composing in ragas like 'Ragavardhini'. He also told about the sruthi bedham in the other song, 'Agandayil', when Raja changes the ragam from Rasikapriya to Mayamalavagowla. He then told me that he had heard a song long ago in which Raja had taken Kanakangi and arrived at Panthuvarali thru a sruthi bedam. (Dont know which song he was referring to). So I fully agree with you that these songs are classics and must be treated as such.

I wouldn't agree with the complete dismissal of 'Azaghi Vara'. Yes, it my least favorite in the album but as RS says there are places where it can only be done with Illayaraja. I also was taken in by the same place pointed out by RS.

dochu
24th July 2008, 07:03 PM
Assuming, we are not getting into personal attacks or heated argument, - what I reflected was - whether you noticed or not, I am one among you but didn't set my foot into the 'elite' category. My 'koomural' is that IR is composing such songs that doesn't attract the mass which kept him in the business for decades and will continue to do so, if they are satisfied.

I have to agree from experts like you on the intricacies of 'Azhagi vara....' unfortunately it doesn't please the mass.

If those continue, then we are going to see less and less of him in music. Yes, we all do have hopes that he will churn out more music - but who is going to finance when the market is gone? And I hate to see that happen. The only recourse that I could come up with, is that express my dissatisfaction for such songs so that it is 'heard' atleast by him. At the same time appreciate 'MG- bhajan'.

vel
24th July 2008, 08:30 PM
I wouldn't agree with the complete dismissal of 'Azaghi Vara'. Yes, it my least favorite in the album but as RS says there are places where it can only be done with Illayaraja. I also was taken in by the same place pointed out by RS.

:exactly: :yes: Precisely - for that matter, any IR song - there is a lot of method to a seeming madness in any XYZ song of his - my advice is, people, pls disagree, but dont make sweeping statements ruling out any possibility of unearthing the little intriguing secrets that he packs into all his songs...including azhagi vara rice thara :lol:

ananth222
24th July 2008, 08:49 PM
some people think they have completely figured out what "the mass" is and exactly what "the mass" wants...

app_engine
24th July 2008, 09:17 PM
To me the biggest turn-off in azhagi varA is the very unimaginative lyrics / atrocious singing by the lead singer:-(

Don't tell me I've now become sophisticated and all that - it's a 'never applicable' condition in my case as I've taken a vow not to get sophi:-))

It's plain simple - we should not make songs just with the words we speak (i.e. regular conversational prose) as that's void of any imagination and = dumbness! Even the songs that are sung in paddy fields won't use the words like 'azhagi varappOrA, chORu tharappOrA':-( They'll have some extra stuff kicked in, please refer to ANY of those themmAngu numbers of IR from his initial years, and you'll know what I mean.

2nd thing - lead singer:-( IMO, IR should stop signing up this guy Tippu for such songs. He is no MV. Even if IR uses an aged MV (why even Mano) the results will be better IMO!

app_engine
24th July 2008, 09:24 PM
If you look at it seriously, the sandhams of azhagi varA are same as the kuRavanji (vAnarangaL kani koduththu mandhiyOdu konjum etc) which was out-and-out folk (far away from anything you call sophi). Now compare both these:-(

app_engine
24th July 2008, 09:28 PM
On top of these, UO is supposed to be a period movie. Why go to centuries back (and dig into ilakkiyams), even a few decades back you won't hear such horrible language in folk songs as they always have some real "local words and phrases" that are also musical (i.e. having a puN). This sounds like today's madras (or some suburb) bAshai to me.

venky_vinod
24th July 2008, 09:32 PM

Aaha !! Andha NaaLum Vandhidaatho !!!

ananth222
24th July 2008, 09:33 PM
It's plain simple - we should not make songs just with the words we speak (i.e. regular conversational prose) as that's void of any imagination and = dumbness! Depends... think of songs like "enna paattu paada enna thaalam poda" (Sakkalathi) or "orampo".. very colloquial lyrics that Raaja pulls off brilliantly. He often stamps his mark in incorporating casual lyrics in songs - only someone with true knowledge and control can make such accommodations. But then, the voice, pronunciation, situation, music must match it... the rustic charm is now missing and it just sounds pseudo.. neither here nor there...
~~வைக்காதே ஆசை, அது வெங்காய தோசை~~

app_engine
24th July 2008, 09:46 PM
ananth222,

If you take each of those songs with "colloquial" lyrics, there was this IR singing factor that masked them somehow.

Infact, initially me & my gang ridiculed 'enna pAttupAda' so much (ippidiyellAm oru pAtta). It took some time for that to "grow on" me. In addition, the vaNdichchaththam based song was novel at that time, compare with the azhagi rhythm - there would have been 100's of them from IR already.

Same in the case of Oram pO, here the percussion arrangement was phenomenally new and Raja carried the song with his rustic rendering as well.

In addition both the above songs were part of 100% folk packages where these were more or less expected (unlike UO where you jump from AraNangE to this which may be the reason for turn-off for many)

app_engine
24th July 2008, 09:49 PM
I think KVM's 'thillA langidi dappAnguththu Attam AduvEn shOkkAppAttuppAduvEn...ajak chA' is the thematic explanation for this azhagi varA. (If that can be in TM, why not this in UO'ngaRa mAdhiri discuss paNNi iruppAngaLO?)

dochu
24th July 2008, 11:57 PM
some people think they have completely figured out what "the mass" is and exactly what "the mass" wants...

NOM. Isn't that quite obvious by the audio sales and popularity?

rajasaranam
25th July 2008, 12:55 AM

NOM. Isn't that quite obvious by the audio sales and popularity?

NO :)

dochu
25th July 2008, 05:18 AM
rs,
obviously, I don't agree. neither the 'mass'. :wink:

hope it was a typo - using caps doesn't reflect proper netiquette.
:roll:

d

raja_fan
25th July 2008, 06:30 AM
hmm...Azhagi vandhadhu podhum.
Yedhaavadhu album varudhaa ? Athai sollunga !

ananth222
25th July 2008, 08:51 AM
rs,
obviously, I don't agree. neither the 'mass'. :wink:

hope it was a typo - using caps doesn't reflect proper netiquette.
:roll:

d Not using caps at all doesn't reflect proper grammar. ;) Just kidding!

hmm...Azhagi vandhadhu podhum.
Yedhaavadhu album varudhaa ? Athai sollunga !Has anyone heard "Enai nee thaan pirinthaalum"? Is it by IR? Has it been discussed, and I missed it?

raja_fan
25th July 2008, 09:30 AM
I got the below reply from crossfire films who have made the video "Namrata Ke Sagar".
I am confused ! Is the album released or not ????

crossfirefilm has sent you a message on YouTube:

Re:Namrata Ke Sagar

I'm glad you like "Namrata Ke Sagar". I think the album should be available at the "Gandhi Smriti" or Birla house in Delhi why don't you check there?

MumbaiRamki
25th July 2008, 09:38 PM
May be v v late comment - Heard UO completely . Was stunned by 3 songs ! WOW - superb stuff from raaja -

entertainment
26th July 2008, 12:51 AM
I have a basic question. He has used synthesizer in most of the songs in this film. I wonder why IR has not used traditional instruments and tunes, as it is a 10th century period flick. The songs may suit today's trend but not 10th century, isnt it?

Though I dont know how 10th century Thamizh songs sound, I can for sure tell that it would not sound like 20th century.

app_engine
26th July 2008, 01:29 AM
entertainment,

I think IR has used only traditional instruments in all appropriate places (if we discount his ever-present bass lines), i.e. for the songs aganthaiyil, chOLa vaLa nAdu, pularkinRa pozhudhu & abhinayam kAttukinRa.

Songs like kAlaththai venRa & kallAi irundhEn are probably imaginary situations / love duet kind of songs (haven't seen the movie, only guess) and the electronic stuff / western drums is not a major issue IMO - while avoiding them would have been definitely better. There may be budget considerations by the producer and / or marketing considerations.

azhagi varA? Not worthy of any more discussion.

rajasaranam
26th July 2008, 08:33 AM
Though I was not wantedly skipping the song 'Azhagi varra' from UO it will be the 7th song in the playlist and before the song comes I would repeat some of the songs on the top of the playlist and ultimately would not listen to Azhagi varra atall.
Thanks to the discussions that happened here, I have now kept it in the middle of the playlist and am listening and enjoying this 'common People's song better than before :)

raja_fan
26th July 2008, 08:37 AM
My question to crossfire films :

Re: Re:Namrata Ke Sagar Re: Re:Namrata Ke Sagar

Thanks for the reply.

The below news item says the album will be released in December.

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/Cities/Gandhis_bhajan_in_Big_Bs_voice/articleshow/3266436.cms

So I am confused. Is your company producing and marketing it ? Are you sure whether the album is released ? How many songs are there totally ?

Answer :

Re: Re: Re:Namrata Ke Sagar Re: Re: Re:Namrata Ke Sagar

Hi
This was news to me! I was under the impression it was already released...since we made the video quite some time back. Incidentally we're a Film production company not into marketing albums

MumbaiRamki
26th July 2008, 09:17 AM
I have a basic question. He has used synthesizer in most of the songs in this film. I wonder why IR has not used traditional instruments and tunes, as it is a 10th century period flick. The songs may suit today's trend but not 10th century, isnt it?

Though I dont know how 10th century Thamizh songs sound, I can for sure tell that it would not sound like 20th century.

Im not an expert in the history of music , but ..

1. Even in carnatic the form of music it was in 10 th century , it might have been a bit boring to have the same kind of form, even if we somehow find how they had those forms .

2. I don't know what traditional instruments they might be using in 10 th century . But it would be sufficent to cheat the mind .

Western classic -> Classic -> anything classic is period film music .

Beats -> Use high deceibel , non-synth music mimicing murasu + use horns ->depicts period music

Use less synth->Focus more on melody-> depicts period music

This is what ARR did in Jodha akbar .

For UO, i was throughly convinced with the carnatic numbers. But the romantic numbers were slightly out of place. or may be the picturisation made me feel so.

FOr the two folk numbers, usage of horns , trumphets , 'murasu' kind of beats , with karthik singing might have done some good.

raajarasigan
26th July 2008, 08:15 PM
[tscii:ac7b1ed643]New telugu Album in Pipeline... with the lines of

Kamal Haasan, more than a decade ago, experimented with a genre of film that was long forgotten – due to the advent of technology in the cine industry. His Pesum Padam, sans any dialogues, was critically acclaimed. Producer Sonia Reddy and director Arun Kumar have now decided to bring to fore another silent film. This Telugu film will have comedian Brammanandham in the lead role. Speaking about the film, Arun Kumar said that he had signed up maestro Ilayaraja to compose music for the film. He substantiated his choice by saying that only Ilayaraja could carry the film, which will have no dialogues, to the audience through his music.
[/tscii:ac7b1ed643]

rooky
27th July 2008, 09:32 AM
Two IR albums likely to be released tomorrow(28th July)

Dhanam in Tamil and Mallepuvvu in Telugu.

Looks like IR has signed two more telugu films recently..
The silent movie mentioned in the previous post and Thiyagaiyaa in Singeetham's direction.

raja_fan
28th July 2008, 10:55 AM
http://entertainment.oneindia.in/telugu/top-stories/2008/singeetham-ilayaraja-tyagayya-210708.html

Thyagayya on the life of Sri Thyagaraja will be made in both Tamil and Telugu simultaneously !

Surely a great opportunity for IR to show his genius ! But I would like him not to end up in controversies like in Sindhu Bairavi.. Since it is a life story, I would like him to align with the innovations of Thyaggayya rather than his own experimentations :)

Sanjeevi
28th July 2008, 10:26 PM
http://i266.photobucket.com/albums/ii256/johnalex_217/MDSG238902bw.jpg

Dhanam Padalgal eppadi?

MumbaiRamki
28th July 2008, 11:53 PM
http://entertainment.oneindia.in/telugu/top-stories/2008/singeetham-ilayaraja-tyagayya-210708.html

Thyagayya on the life of Sri Thyagaraja will be made in both Tamil and Telugu simultaneously !

Surely a great opportunity for IR to show his genius ! But I would like him not to end up in controversies like in Sindhu Bairavi.. Since it is a life story, I would like him to align with the innovations of Thyaggayya rather than his own experimentations :)

May be an controversy! But if not for that album, i would'nt have developed interest in carnatic music . Let him do some experimentation, which makes the music reach us easily !

Fliflo
29th July 2008, 02:46 AM
http://www.behindwoods.com/features/Gallery/tamil-movies-events/photos-6/dhanam-audio-launch/index.html

Sanjeevi
29th July 2008, 08:48 AM
Unlike Raaja's other recent albums in table, UO is growing on me with every listening. For some of his previous albums I was losing interest, but UO songs are really very nice. I would like to say UO songs are best 'Tamil' songs of 2008 so far.

raja_fan
29th July 2008, 09:39 AM
"Ilaiyaraaja Swamigal"

hmmm..seems to be inspired by "Dakshinamurthy Swamigal" in Malayalam film music..

In Kerala, the title "Swamigal" is respected. But in TN, it has long been made a trivial. Inge idhai makkal kocchai paduthi romba naalaagi vittadhu..:(

MrJudge
29th July 2008, 02:57 PM
http://www.indiaglitz.com/channels/tamil/article/40314.html

It says Jeeva was the cameraman of this film. The theme of this film is different from other films and having Jeeva worked on this film increases my curiosity. Will the film be good?

Sanjeevi
29th July 2008, 03:54 PM
In Kerala, the title "Swamigal" is respected. But in TN, it has long been made a trivial. Inge idhai makkal kocchai paduthi romba naalaagi vittadhu..:(

It is not the word's mistake. IMO depends upon the person who called as Swamigal, the worth of that word changes

Hulkster
29th July 2008, 05:18 PM
http://music.galatta.com/entertainment/music/songs/albumid/1196/movie/dhanam.html

Thalaivar is truly back :notworthy:

MrJudge
29th July 2008, 05:39 PM
http://music.galatta.com/entertainment/music/songs/albumid/1196/movie/dhanam.html

Thalaivar is truly back :notworthy:

:bluejump:

Have you listened to it? I haven't, but your words made me jumping. Come on, Raja!

MrJudge
29th July 2008, 05:41 PM
Thanks for link Hulkster. I am going to listen to it now :)

Hulkster
29th July 2008, 05:42 PM
Everything is a gem with freaking scintallating orchestratio...african tribal music..veenai, bass line and unique rhythms....athaadi magamaayi sollavum mudiyavillei mellavum mudiyavillei :notworthy:

MrJudge
29th July 2008, 05:46 PM
Does the link work? It is not playing for me :(

Hulkster
29th July 2008, 05:47 PM
Not working? :frightened:

okay go to this link and click on dhanam then.

http://music.galatta.com/

Hulkster
29th July 2008, 05:50 PM
One more thing about this album...Illayaraja can EXPERIMENT with a synthesizer :frightened: i know he was playing with the synthesizer for all the other movies for boredom all this while :angry2:

rooky
29th July 2008, 05:55 PM
http://www.indiaglitz.com/channels/tamil/article/40314.html

It says Jeeva was the cameraman of this film. The theme of this film is different from other films and having Jeeva worked on this film increases my curiosity. Will the film be good?

This movie has a good technical team..
Camera by Jeeva, Editing by Lenin and ofcourse IR doing Music.
The director is a debutant and is from KB's school.

MrJudge
29th July 2008, 05:57 PM
Not working? :frightened:

okay go to this link and click on dhanam then.

http://music.galatta.com/

The link is working but the player doesn't play songs. Let me try a few times. I checked out Raaga, they haven't posted them yet.

Hulkster
29th July 2008, 05:59 PM
I think realplayer or windows media player is not up to date in your computer or this might be a bug. Use firefox it can play better.

Hulkster
29th July 2008, 06:00 PM
Okay one last comment. All three koothu paathus are semma koothu...this is what i call koothu :cool:

crvenky
29th July 2008, 06:03 PM
I am hearing the songs now.

Koothu onnu - thalaivar is rocking (ithaanda kuthu!) :)
Kattilukku mattum - great singing by thalaivar, lyrics also good
Kannanukku enna vendum - good one

Other songs didnt impress me on first hearing, need to hear more. Since I am in office, I can't concentrate.

MrJudge
29th July 2008, 06:14 PM
I think realplayer or windows media player is not up to date in your computer or this might be a bug. Use firefox it can play better.

Using firefox only. It used to play Saroja songs without any trouble now doesn't cooperate with me :angry2:

Hulkster
29th July 2008, 06:18 PM
I can see why crvenky...most of the songs dunt have the conventional IR structure...they have a different orchestration that we dunt see IR using even for experimentation. All the interludes have so many points to discuss if we listen to them.

Give the other melodies especially ilamai kanavugal, unakulley irukkiren a good listen...IR will surprise u how much he can experiment at this age. :cool:

MrJudge
This movie has a good technical team..
Camera by Jeeva, Editing by Lenin and ofcourse IR doing Music.
The director is a debutant and is from KB's school.

Yes, expecting some decent effort by the team for this movie.

Hulkster
:lol2: Vidunga MrJudge...nichayama keika thaan porenge :D

raja_fan
29th July 2008, 06:41 PM
Listened to all the songs.

Thanks Hulkster for the link .

I won't say "Vow", but note that no song of this album makes a boring listening !

A renewed Raja for sure, a lot of new experimentations within usual synth stuff.

Unakulle - a very good melody, a clever rehash of "Dheemi dheemi" of Shiva-2006 !

Ilamai Kanavugal -

On the first listen, sounded like a typical Bharadwaj tune in Autograph etc . The fast pace of this song makes it interesting and Karthik again shines with IR !

Kannanukku - a melody hangover of UO, with nice carnatic jathis towards the end.

Kootthu onnu - Amused to hear IR's mimickry as a drunken guy ! Thalaivar nadikka pogalaam !

Not much to comment on other songs now.

An above average album :)

raja_fan
29th July 2008, 06:47 PM
Dhanam..Dhanam song is "Dhrishti pottu"

inetk
29th July 2008, 06:49 PM
Nooru.
http://itwofs.com/milliblog/2008/07/29/dhanam-tamil-ilayaraja/

Hulkster
29th July 2008, 07:01 PM
I guess different opinions.....Anyway the orchestration is totally off the hook....i just cant stop raving about this.

Fliflo
29th July 2008, 07:32 PM
Say what I liked than writing a big review that sounds for everybody!! Rediff does this mistake often.

One hearing...not good..mutiple hearing...great....

Leave the review to the listener himself. Don't bias him with opinions..Rather it is better to enlighten his music sense or point out how it shouldn't be...

Mahen
29th July 2008, 07:55 PM
No sherya ghosal again!!! :( Sherya ghosal was a must in IR's albums but lately she has not been singing for IR...Disappointed!!

MrJudge
29th July 2008, 08:39 PM
Got my player working :sigh2:

MrJudge
29th July 2008, 08:41 PM
Listened to two numbers now, Bhavatharini's song sounds good.

vel
29th July 2008, 08:59 PM
anyone listening to this will think this were an old album composed by IR during the 1980s, with re-adaptation (a lot of karthik raja?) - But the album has the very garam masala that most forummers thirsted for long here !

inetk
29th July 2008, 09:05 PM
How is commenting or having a point of view a mistake? Every piece of opinion in this forum is biased - either towards the album or against - bias need not be in one direction alone! If the content of the material is genuinely good, it'll stand the test of many people's opinions, whichever way.

Just a thought!

Say what I liked than writing a big review that sounds for everybody!! Rediff does this mistake often.

One hearing...not good..mutiple hearing...great....

Leave the review to the listener himself. Don't bias him with opinions..Rather it is better to enlighten his music sense or point out how it shouldn't be...

MumbaiRamki
29th July 2008, 09:09 PM
Illamai Kanavugal is predominantly Joshua sridhar type orchestration with nice singing by karthik . Very nice one. Nice use of synth and bass for a change.

Kanaukku Enna by Prasanna (somebody said its bhava) .Prasanna had sung thanni konjam song. A semi classical song with superb interludes ! Excellent charanam and nice lyrics !!!NOt sure how some of u missed it .

Unakkul erukiiraen by sriram parthasarathy with zingy orchestration is an instant catch ,esp the anu pallavi part and the interludes.

I wont say this is very diff orchestration , but the three songs remind me of orchestration of sambhu !

MumbaiRamki
29th July 2008, 09:18 PM
Katilukku mattumdhana is real ziny ,orchestration for a pathos song - something raaja has tried less !I enjoyed this song, although the melody line is bit archaic .

Dhanam dhanam is Ok song , a throwback to 90s beats .If at all the movie becomes a hit, this is up the chartbusters. Charanam is bit disappointing, but the rythm compensates.

Ulagam Kidakuthu has some rustic singing by sarathy with zingy orchestration, but already-heard-90s tune. I guess the R&B englishsation of songs works ,but the same thing in POP probably doesn't work. Was plesantly surprised at the use of raaga.com sample.

Overall , 4 good songs in my opinion. UO and now this , things are looking better .

Sanjeevi
29th July 2008, 09:25 PM
Guys thanks for reviews :cool:

two good albums in a short period and so many albums including much awaited Naan Kadavul are coming.

I think it is not a big task to wake-up big count of raaja's silent fans but IR has to concentrate. 4 languages atti padaicha IR-ku ippo ithukku periya interest illamal irukkalam but good scripts will extract good music from him.

SVN
29th July 2008, 09:40 PM
Kannanukku Enna Vendum seems to have been sung by Bhava and not Prasanna (the rough edges are a give away).

inetk
29th July 2008, 09:44 PM
Absolutely - I'd trust my ears over Galatta's error-prone credits!

raja_fan
29th July 2008, 10:03 PM
After repeated hearings,

3 songs stand apart very good !

Unakkulle and Kannanukku are outstanding, with Ilamai kanavugal following them :D

Swamigal could have avoided singing "Koothu onnu"..lyrics bordering on vulgarity..this is not new for IR, but now people expect some mature numbers in his voice.

raja_fan
29th July 2008, 10:07 PM
For the crap numbers we are hearing nowadays, this album is far better stuff.

Indha padatthukke ippadi-naa, I am now much confident on Nandalala, Malle puvvu, Pazhassi Raja etc ! :D

After a looong time, I see this thread brimming with confident people ! Keep going friends !!

is Malle puvvu released ?

btw.., Kannanukku is surely by that nasal Bhavatharini.

And the female voice in Unakkulle sounds like my love Shreya !!??

ananth222
29th July 2008, 10:42 PM
:2thumbsup: :2thumbsup: :2thumbsup:
While UO was a good hear, it didn't impress so much in terms of orchestration. This album is sure promising, esp the orchestration in "Unakkulle irukkiren". Hope this is an upward trend...

MrJudge
29th July 2008, 11:26 PM
Listened to them all once.

kannukulla onna - liked this song fully
kattilukku mattumdanaa - my vote for orchestration goes to this song
unakkulle irukiren- liked only parts of charanams when mirudhangam comes in
ilamai kanavugal and ulagam kidakkuthu - ok songs
koothu onnu and dhanam dhanam - not good

Need to listen them in good quality or on CD....

MrJudge
29th July 2008, 11:40 PM
Actually 'kattilukku mattumdanaa' has very simple orchestration but is really good. It has shades of 'aasai nooru vagai' kind of flute pieces, anyone noticed it?

NormalMan
30th July 2008, 12:23 AM
Kannnanukku Enna Vendum --> :notworthy:

This song pretty much say's where IR is wanting to or is heading with his music. Towards the Supreme Being .....

irir123
30th July 2008, 12:28 AM
For the crap numbers we are hearing nowadays, this album is far better stuff.

Indha padatthukke ippadi-naa, I am now much confident on Nandalala, Malle puvvu, Pazhassi Raja etc ! :D

After a looong time, I see this thread brimming with confident people ! Keep going friends !!

is Malle puvvu released ?

btw.., Kannanukku is surely by that nasal Bhavatharini.

And the female voice in Unakkulle sounds like my love Shreya !!??

raja_fan - I heard from inside sources that Pazhassi Raja album simply rocks a la Guru (Malayalam)!! am eagerly awaiting PR release!

Hulkster
30th July 2008, 05:10 AM
Ulagam Kidakkathu has a unique prelude...had the tune been given a higher tempo it would have been rocking.

I felt at ease with the orchestration especially the patterns the veenai goes through in kannanakku enna vendum and the guitar in ilamai kanavugal. Koothu onnu shows the musical world why IR is so versatile, he can create music for any situation bringing out the exact feel.

Kattilukku Mattumdaan's backgrounds are innovative. Again a IR experimentation. Even the tune if archaic does not sound so terrible or nostalgic..it is just cut away by the flow of the beats. Even dhanam dhanam isnt a bad song, it has some good mixture of beats if anyone listened closely enough. Another experimentation.

And yes unakulle is shreya goshal. Unmistakable modulations. :D

raja_fan
30th July 2008, 06:33 AM
In my layman language, How this album is better than the recent past albums of IR ( except UO ) ?

* Free flowing tunes. No irritating pauses and flat speech like tunes.

* Clever usage of Sriram Parthasarathy ( I initially did not respect his talent ) and Karthick ( This guy has a Midas touch ).

* A refreshing change in interludes. After a loong time, some counterpoints too. The second interlude in "Unakkulle" is out of the world !

* Thank God ! No Tippu !!! :)

Hulkster
30th July 2008, 07:06 AM
If i am not wrong Inetk liked kangalum kaavipaduthey's tunes while there was criticism of it having irritating pauses.

When we make reviews based on thalaivar's albums its tough to see whether it must be a analytical viewpoint or a straight-first-time-simple viewpoint. If i were to review raja's songs i can not help but list out the orchestration and explain them...they are too outstanding to be ignored.

sloshed
30th July 2008, 09:27 AM
i really dont mind giving up my posh job and becoming a thief. And the only thing i want to steal is IR'S synth... together buy a one way ticket to the newly launched Virgin Atlantic's Space flight....for his programmer

MrJudge
30th July 2008, 09:45 AM
i really dont mind giving up my posh job and becoming a thief. And the only thing i want to steal is IR'S synth... together buy a one way ticket to the newly launched Virgin Atlantic's Space flight....for his programmer

:lol: I agree.

Sanjeevi
30th July 2008, 09:46 AM
* Thank God ! No Tippu !!! :)

:lol:

MrJudge
30th July 2008, 09:58 AM

If only he knows how to pick cool sounds from synth and adapt them, then there is no stopping. But he still tries and searches (may be in a wrong place?)

Sanjeevi
30th July 2008, 11:33 AM
Mottai rocks in Dhanam :D

my pick is Koothu Onnu its amazing............ :yes:

more later

kanna_82
30th July 2008, 11:56 AM
[tscii:f3f98a576e]Wow is the word i can say as a normal music lover...what a fresh and young breeze from Raaja...
Unakkullea Irukkindrean (what a way to get the singers sing as they do)

Kannanukku enna (what a tune...esp. when they sing in 2nd charanam sings vennilavil nathiyoram...mindblowing)

Ilamai kanavugal (once again Raaja shows that he is the man with basslines)

Koothu Onnu (Is this man really 65+...ha ha ha i don´t belieave this...what a kick you get with this tune...nobody else than Raaja can give this song this power)

Dhanam dhanam (some of u doesn´t like this song...maybe it is the tune which is too ordinary for our Raaja...but the beats...my god...this is what called kuththu song...so many different beats...rocking song)

Kattilukku Mattumthana (can anyone of u mention such a meningful song or situationbased song with such a orcastration...this is innovative)

ulagam Kidakkuthu (this is the song where Raaja shows that he can play with synth...the lyrics in this song is so fantastic)

over all for a normal musiclover like me...this album is just the right album just after a superb Uliyin Osai

To the end i just wanna say one thing...the line Unakkullea irukkindrean engu thedi ponaai...this is Raajas message to me...[/tscii:f3f98a576e]

rajasaranam
30th July 2008, 11:59 AM
raaga with better quality than galaata
http://www.raaga.com/channels/tamil/movie/T0001343.html
Iam still to find out which song I like but as many have pointed out 'koothu onnu' rocks :) with an impressive line up of projects this year Raaja is bound to enthrall us like never before in the past few years :notworthy:

raja_fan
30th July 2008, 12:31 PM
Man !!

Raaga shows

Unakulley
Artist(s): Sriram Parthasarathy, Billsandey

Who is Billsandey ??

Koothu Onnu Koothu Onnu
Artist(s): Illayaraja, Blaaze

Blaaze with IR ?? I thought Blaaze is a male ?!

Who is Ritta in "Ilamai " ??

And you see a range of poets - Vaali, Mu.Metha ( unbelievable for a fast pace number ), PalaniBharathi, Vishali Kannadasan and Muthulingam !!

IR very much changed ? :)

MrJudge
30th July 2008, 12:51 PM
Unakulley
Artist(s): Sriram Parthasarathy, Billsandey

Koothu Onnu Koothu Onnu
Artist(s): Illayaraja, Blaaze

They got the names wrong, I think.

MrJudge
30th July 2008, 12:55 PM
ulagam kidakkuthu - is it by the same singer of kakka song in Julie Ganapathi?

MrJudge
30th July 2008, 01:21 PM
Guys,

Are the CDs available at stores? Anyone checked out?

irir123
30th July 2008, 02:26 PM
I listened to DHANAM once - but am disappointed! though there were some interesting bits and pieces in the interludes, most of the tunes never pleased me - and whatsoever people might say about IR's so-called experimentation with synth music, it all sucks bigtime - after reading the many reviews here, I almost expected another pathbreaking album like AGNI NATCHATIRAM, and I was annoyed to listen to some below-par compositions

IMHO, this is not wat I expect from IR

raja_fan
30th July 2008, 02:42 PM
after reading the many reviews here, I almost expected another pathbreaking album like AGNI NATCHATIRAM,

Sorry ! Neenga endha kaalathil irukkeenga ?? Inime adhellaam nadakkira kaariyamaa ...

krish244
30th July 2008, 02:44 PM
First impression:

1. Ilamai kanavugal: Very contemperory catchy tune. More of IR's touch is more evident starting from 2nd interlude.

2. Kannanukku: Was not that impressed with the pallavi tune, but those veena kind of sounds and interludes/charnam tune is impressive. I wish someone other than Bhava sang the song. Song would have gained more depth. Where is Shreya???

3. Koothu onnu: IR's mimicry in the beginning was really cool (as pointed by raja_fan). Overall impressed with the song/rhythms. Need to listen in good quality.

4. Dhanam: The start (tha na than dha na) put me off, but the interludes/charanam tunes are better and more impressive. This is an old style IR song.

5. Kattilukku: Slightly heard before tune pattern, but IR's singing and the flowing rhythm pattern makes an interesting listen.

6. Ulagam: Not impressed with the tune and the song in general. Slightly different first interlude.

7. Unakkulle: Melody tune of the album and I liked it. Who is the female singer? Sounds north indian. Certain times sounds like Shreya and certain times like Madhushree. Who is it?

Like raja_fan said, although no "vow" factor, none of the songs were boring (did not like "Ulagam" that much). Need to listen to good quality version.

BTW, I loved that "Mona...enakkum number kuduma" advertisement in galatta.com :)

thanks,

Krishnan

kameshratnam
30th July 2008, 02:49 PM
I think perhaps i have lost the ability to appreciate the new songs of Ir or rather i lack the technical knowledge to praise them..

Dhanam ..well..from a person like iR we expect more..

A person who can give a jolly number like mazhakudayal from manasinkkare and mandara po and kaiyetha in vinodayatra..the songs of dhanam are not even near V'yatra

krish244
30th July 2008, 02:56 PM
[tscii:9b9c94da15]Casette release function:

http://www.tamilstar.com/news/publish/article_10319.shtml

"The event also saw the screening of three songs from the movie to standing ovation, especially for the music and cinematography. ‘Kannanukku Enna Venum’ song won special accolades from the audience"
"He further said that Dhanam is a tad different from the other Devadasi movies. “I gave 10 marks for the subject and story before the movie started. After viewing it, I’m giving it 65 marks,” he said. He also averred that Ilayaraja would only agree to score for a movie if the movie’s content is good."

thanks,

Krishnan
[/tscii:9b9c94da15]

raja_fan
30th July 2008, 03:58 PM
Some time back, in my post I had expressed my fear that IR may still be obsessed by "Kajuraho..."

And he has proved me right. On repeated hearings "Unakkulle.." ultimately leads to "Kajuraho" :(

Unakkulle sometimes reminds "Sihigaali.." again a beautiful rehash of Kajuraho..

MrJudge
30th July 2008, 04:37 PM
And he has proved me right. On repeated hearings "Unakkulle.." ultimately leads to "Kajuraho" :(

On repeated listenings? :o For me from the first listening itself, it sounds like Kajuraho..

MrJudge
30th July 2008, 04:42 PM
BTW, I loved that "Mona...enakkum number kuduma" advertisement in galatta.com

loved?? :shock: irritating before every song starts, there is no forward button also :evil:

Hulkster
30th July 2008, 05:14 PM
Negative reviews but mostly in preference order and as usual none can understand the orchestration. The same thing happened for the best album in recent times by the name of mumbai express when loads of people thought the fast-paced jazz number yeley nee yettipo was some immature attempt at synth :banghead:

If all of you had noticed anything IR's songs did not always have magical tunes..they seemed magical because of the musical orchestration that goes in. To just write off an IR album by listening to tunes and saying they are rehashes of other tunes after repeated listening are laughable....of course if you listen to any tune more than ten times it will sound similar to something... :banghead:

Well i guess the final nail was for mumbai express...after that we are certainly not worthy of listening to anything else and i should not have even raised the decibel for this album after some people looked at the trailer and said it reeks of ordinary numbers. :angry:

Sanjeevi
30th July 2008, 05:39 PM
Hulkster don't get emotion :). Here, it is getting more postive reviews than UO when compare the initial day response.

Somebody compared this songs with Agni natchathram songs and somebody answered he can't give such songs now. I say he can (atleast 70% stuff) if you give 2008 Manirathnam (Shankar?) and Prabhu, Karthik of 2008 (Vikram & Surya?).

Intha padam oru varamavathu odumanu theriyala and nobody is expecting the film. Intha padathukku intha padalgal migavum athigam.

raja_fan
30th July 2008, 05:47 PM
To just write off an IR album by listening to tunes and saying they are rehashes of other tunes after repeated listening are laughable....

i should not have even raised the decibel for this album after some people looked at the trailer and said it reeks of ordinary numbers. :angry:

As the person who did both of the above, I appeal to Hulkster to cool down :)

I have not written off the album. But if you expect every one to be excited to the same level like you, I am sorry, I can't !

And even now, the trailer does not give me any confidence that this movie will win at the box office !
Just because IR has agreed to work for it does not make it a glorious script..people know this by experience.

If any one says that "Unakkulle" does not sound like "Kajuraho" it is very difficult to believe !

For me, "Kajuraho", "Dheemi dheemi", "Sihigali" and even "Kuyilaalo" from Anumaanaspadam all are variations of same pattern ! And I accept it happens with every MD, but IR has been doing this so frequently in recent times :(

Hulkster
30th July 2008, 05:50 PM
Its not that..its just that people here decipher raja's songs like other MDs. The true fact till this day is that all his songs have been enriched by the feel of his orchestration and understanding of the situation. You cant expect a anandha raagam like tune or pothi vecha malligai tune for the situations in dhanam....they will look comical..people seem to forget this part. anyways im gonna enjoy listening regardless of what other reviews are going to come. :2thumbsup:

Hulkster
30th July 2008, 06:00 PM
Its different...its just like vidyasagar's sudum nilavu sounding like azhagana ratchasiyey..same base raaga different tune. I have listened to Unakulley and besides the first two lines nothing else sounds like kajuraho especially the most catchiest part where he gives a minipause.

Sihigaali and dheemi dheemi sound the same due to their pause in between pattern and the same word being repeated..the tunes are different though...of course if you just use one similar stanza as i said everything will sound nostalgic. I can even say koothu onnu is a clever rehash of siva rathiri of michael madana kamarajan with the backgrounds enhanced and tempo upped. It is that easy.

raja_fan
30th July 2008, 06:01 PM
IR has come out of his "chagu chagu chaa", "Thagu thagu thaa" kind of outdated "youthful" chorus.

This also makes the album a better one :)

ramk1
30th July 2008, 06:06 PM
At first hearing, i would say, the songs are a bit contemporary, only thing is, it lacks the melody content which we usually expect in an IR movie. And looking at all the singers, wow, they are all recent crop of guys. IR is changing i guess.

raja_fan
30th July 2008, 06:08 PM
Its different...its just like vidyasagar's sudum nilavu sounding like azhagana ratchasiyey..same base raaga different tune.

For me, "Sudum nilavu" leads some how to "Meetaadha oru veenayai" from Poonthottam by IR.

Carnatic music therindhavargal, pls tell me if they are of same raaga.

Enna seiyya...Niraiya paadalgal kettu kettu idhu enna mania-nu theriyalai...onnuthilarindhu manasu innonukku thaavudhu...paattai mattum thaan solren :)

Hulkster
30th July 2008, 06:13 PM
Yup they are both reethigowlai. incidentally inetk's favourite raaga....i guess if kannanukku enna was tuned in reethigowlai inetk would be saying "its a absolute carnatic delight sprinkled with vintage raja touches" :lol2:

Hulkster
30th July 2008, 06:19 PM
If anyone listens to dhanam dhanam closely the lyrics seem to be taking a dig at certain MDs adapting IR's koothu paathus. :lol2:

krish244
30th July 2008, 06:23 PM
BTW, I loved that "Mona...enakkum number kuduma" advertisement in galatta.com

loved?? :shock: irritating before every song starts, there is no forward button also :evil:

Yes, I got irritated too, but as there was no forward button, I had no choice but to love it :).

Krishnan