PDA

View Full Version : Herbs for babies

Akula
8th January 2008, 04:01 AM
Hello,
Can somebody tell me what are all the herbs that is administered for new born babies and what is the purpose it is given.

Thanks.

Anoushka
8th January 2008, 04:50 PM
do mean to ask about things like vasambu, etc?

Akula
12th January 2008, 07:44 AM
yes, exactly. What are they and why are they used for? and also how should we use them?

Anoushka
6th February 2008, 10:48 PM
Akula: As far as I know... they give small babies vasambu, chukku (dried ginger) and jaathi kai (I am not too sure about this, but I think it is nutmeg) a tiny bit of it every morning, this is supposed to be good for their stomach, but ofcourse I didn't give my wee man any of this...

Other than this they tie vasambu around the wrist. Vasambu is cut into small circular pieces and then tied around the wrist, again this is supposed to be good for the stomach.

A drop of honey is rubbed on the tongue first thing every morning after the child is three months old. This is supposed to make the speech clear and make the child speak quicker.

Other than this, when they have a cold, thuLasi, vetrilai kashayam etc are given.

I've also heard of applying vicks on vetrilai and then adhai viLakil vaati, keep it on the chest of the baby (vicks side up) to clear cold.

kadukai pathu/ perugaya pathu is applied around the navel for stomach aches. A drop of either of these is added to warm water and given to the child for stomach aches.