PDA

View Full Version : Dreams...what Causes them?

Raghu
14th January 2008, 04:08 PM
[tscii:bba99c66c2]Dear all,

Can some one explain to me what dreams are? and how they are developed? Some say dreams are a reflection of your subconscious or your thoughts, I agree to certain extents, but some time we see things which are irrelevant to us and don’t always make logical sense, these scenes were never thought by us.

So why do we see these dreams?

[/tscii:bba99c66c2]

pavalamani pragasam
14th January 2008, 07:27 PM
[tscii:76ff9aefaf]My poem on 'dreams':

My dreams
Dreams of a similar kind
Haunt me almost every night.
A pattern in them do I find,
Let me bring it to the light.

Putting all my fervour into pen,
Sitting in a silent exam hall,
My hand becomes heavy and leaden;
Hard as I try I cannot write at all.

I chance to see a horror,
On first impulse I want to shout
And cry with might for succour.
Alas, no sound from me comes out!

Close danger by me is sighted,
“Run, run”, shouts my brain.
But my feet stand rooted,
All efforts to move are in vain.

My body, no doubt, is agile
During the day when awake.
But in dreams the limbs are immobile
And quite a strange stand they take.

Sense and order stand behind
Senses and actions during the day
When in control of the conscious mind-
Productive and progressive is their way.

Unreal and unbelievable are the deeds,
Utter chaos and confusion prevail
In the dreams night’s sleep breeds-
As good help or useful guide they fail.

Be they vividly remembered
Or only vaguely recalled,
Dreams are best ignored
And from memory uninstalled.
[/tscii:76ff9aefaf]

pavalamani pragasam
14th January 2008, 07:38 PM
[tscii:2993749787]Another one:

Worth of dreams
The mind wakes in the morn
Greeting the day that is born
With countless thoughts surging,
Like waves on the shore raging.

It’s a scene of buzzing activity,
A site of wonderful creativity,
Churning out apt answers
That find right action transfers.

All the bustle comes to a close
When the body lies down to repose.
The mind calls it a day
And shuts all thoughts away.

An odd thing then happens,
A secret screen soon opens-
A midsummer night’s dream comes to view:
Acts and scenes are bizarre and quiet new.

When the conscious mind goes to sleep
Its freakish twin lying down deep
Pops up with impish vigour,
Begins virtual thoughts to trigger.

Both sweet dreams and scary nightmares
Are bodings- a faith the gullible shares
With millions across the globe
Over ages- interesting to probe.

Even if wives of Ceasars feared,
Heroes have trod on undeterred.
As superstitious holds dreams persist
Which the prudent strain hard to resist.

Though a subject to be pooh-poohed,
With perverse piety is it often wooed.
Mountains of molehills people make,
Pride of place Freudian theories take.

Dreams are worth not a thought,
Dissections of psyche they deserve not.
To the conscious mind remain geared;
The subconscious mind is best ignored.
[/tscii:2993749787]

crajkumar_be
14th January 2008, 08:10 PM
According to Sigmund Freud (Interpretation Of Dreams), dreams are nothing but manifestations of either fear or desire in our minds (not sure if its source is the id, ego or super ego - the 3 divisions of the brain according to Freud).

Raghu
14th January 2008, 09:52 PM
According to Sigmund Freud (Interpretation Of Dreams), dreams are nothing but manifestations of either fear or desire in our minds (not sure if its source is the id, ego or super ego - the 3 divisions of the brain according to Freud).

yes, it makes sense to a certain extent, but if this is true, we should ONLY dream about what is in our mind right?, then how come we see things , which we have never seen, thought or imagined before in our life!

pavalamani pragasam
14th January 2008, 09:56 PM
Frued theory is crazy!!!

Meera-ssg
14th January 2008, 10:21 PM
Its subconscious thoughts, so they say.

anbu_kathir
15th January 2008, 11:25 AM
Freud was perhaps one of the first to see the connections of Dreams with the deep levels of the Unconscious (mind). I guess that was quite a breakthrough in a subject where much was unknown.

Carl Jung who was Freud's 'successor' investigated much more into the Unconscious and came up with more revelations about Dreams, Myths and their connections with the Human Psyche.

Mystically speaking there are also ideas like dreams being equivalent to events in parallel lifetimes .. etc etc.. of which we have no way to prove except intuition and introspection.

And there are also avenues like 'Lucid dreaming' where one is aware of the dreaming self, and can control the dream with practice.

Ancient philosophies from India also talk of the state of dreaming and its connections with the waking state, but I don't know much about it.

Definitely the works of Freud and Jung would be wonderful to study if one is really interested in this.

Love and Light.

Raghu
15th January 2008, 10:00 PM
And there are also avenues like 'Lucid dreaming' where one is aware of the dreaming self, and can control the dream with practice.

yes i have noticed this.... it has happened to me so many times.. again confused by this nature as well.....

some times, if i am interupted while dreaming, that dream does continue after you close your eys and go back to sleep

Bipolar
22nd January 2008, 06:43 PM
I think dreams are a bit like screensavers... The purpose behind screensavers (in the old days before LCD screens) when most computers used cathode-ray tubes (I'm not totally sure if I'm correct about this, it's an assumption) was to prevent phosphor burns on the screen, so I wonder, maybe dreams are a way for the brain's information processing systems to keep active even when the brain is not receiving any input... maybe it prevents complete shutdown of the brain when we fall asleep... (like taking a car out for a drive once in a while to prevent the car battery going completely flat). Just my theory.

Raghu
22nd January 2008, 06:51 PM
I think dreams are a bit like screensavers... The purpose behind screensavers (in the old days before LCD screens) when most computers used cathode-ray tubes (I'm not totally sure if I'm correct about this, it's an assumption) was to prevent phosphor burns on the screen, so I wonder, maybe dreams are a way for the brain's information processing systems to keep active even when the brain is not receiving any input... maybe it prevents complete shutdown of the brain when we fall asleep... (like taking a car out for a drive once in a while to prevent the car battery going completely flat). Just my theory.

possibly...... :roll:

anbu_kathir
24th January 2008, 08:47 AM
>>>maybe dreams are a way for the brain's information processing systems to keep active even when the brain is not receiving any input...

Well...sleep always occurs in phases. And one of these phases is 'deep sleep' where there the conscious mind is absolutely inactive ( no dreams at all). So screensavers explanation doesn't seem very plausible because the mind can handle a shut off for a few hours atleast.

Love and Light.

Sudhaama
2nd February 2008, 11:41 PM
. Meaningful Dreams have Sense and Human Values.!!

Dreams are of three types as we understand from Science and Vedic- Religion

(1) Stray Drain- off: Silent Over-expression of the Mind as the Spill-over... when the Mind gets subjected to Over-pressure or caused by bodliy imbalance like... Indigestion, Restless Mind, Mental tension. This has no value and has to be ignored. since it is only a Drain-off.

Such insignificant dreams can be easily identified by its senseless content and Meaningless confusion put forth.

(2) Mind-development Message : When we aspire for something too higher than what we are placed now...

..by means of AUTO SUGGESTION.. backed by firm and constant ambition in Life..

.. it develops into a Dream as a Feedback to us.

This is our Mind-Message... which has to be given its due value and importance.

In such a case, our Mind plays the greatest role by means of Tall Thoughts, Imagination, Fore-sight, Confidence, Planning towards the Goal etc.

When such of our Wishful thinking is fed to our Conscience through Sub-conscience...

..our Mind seeks the support of our hidden Soul-power... the mightiest of all other Powers by Mind, Body and Wisdom.

Consequently the Soul Spiritual power further gains close contact with the Cosmic power... spread around us... in the Space of Universe...

...which we call as Invisible, Abstract God-power or Supreme-Soul (Paramaathma).

Our Soul and Supreme Soul are always healthy and readily willing to emancipate the Man for advancement towards higher perspective...

.. as well as the best possible Human- stature in Life.

Yes. That is the Law of Nature... which the Supreme Soul is very anxious for every man to uplift himself towards his greatest purpose of Wisest birth endowed with Soul-power.

So they tentatively furnish us plan... what can be made possible for the individual concerned..

...if he duly implements his dream by plan of action.

In such a case it is a Positive Message to continue to wish, imagine and work on it...

...as per the Healthy Message received through Dreams.

Here the Leadership of working in our interests is taken up by our Mind.

One Example for such vital dreams was Napolean... who was often guided by his dreams before he took up the critical decisions in the warfiled.

Thus his Dreams lead him to ascend to the Throne as President of France.

(3) Divine-Message : When we ensure our Mind and Intentions clean true to our Conscience (which is the Voice of our Soul)...

...it always gains closer access with the Soul...

They co-operate with us by giving us a Soul-Message through Dreams...

...on even unthought or unsought gains or losses or problems ... as Advance Message or Warning.

One Example is from Puranas...The Emperor Dasaratha who was forewarned through his dreams repeatedly during the past three months that his end was fast approaching...

The ultimate pressure of such unexpected and UNWELCOME message at the end of three months...

... lead him to hurriedly call for the Royal-council.. and decide for Rama-Pattabhishekam...

..just within 24 hours... prior to his end of Life...

Thus the timely Warning was amply communicated to him in advance... through repeated Dreams.

Another Example is Lal Bahadur Sasthri.. Ex Prime Minister of India... who never aspired for such a high status in Life...

...but it came in search of him and offered... UNEXPECTEDLY.. although unsought for.

He fore-saw in his dreams... repeatedly... since the past four months prior to Nehru's demise...

But he could not believe the blunt and abrupt Dream-message without details...

..and also did not know as to how such a Dream would materialise.

Such a sort of highest rise for him in Life... relegating several seniors and powerful magnets...

...he could not anticipate nor believe...

Since he had already been communicated through Dreams... and accordingly it took shape in Reality...

... he took it as God's will and so whole-heartedly accepted the high post without further hesitation...

..but as a Healthy-challenge task thrust on him by God..

...which Divine command he was bound to accept and get committed for the National interests...

..at a Critical juncture the Indian Nation was placed then...

... by leaving a Vacuum of Throne... after Nehru.

In fact he wondered much how the God's grace implemented the Dream plan into Reality...

...that it could voluntarily reach him by unanimous choice

..while he sincerely and seriously felt and forcily expressed to all concerned that others might be the better choice than him.

But the Dream came true.... as a Divine Miracle!!

In this case the Leadership is taken by our Inner Soul...

...which drives the Mind to convey through Dream of Communication..

..rather the God's Message... to be duly honoured and accepted...

...even it be willingly or unwillingly.

In brief out of these meaningful Two later Categories of Dreams...

...One is the healthy outcome and Inner development by Soul-Co-operation...

...on Our Auto-Suggestion voluntarily initiated by our wishful thinking.

Whereas the other Category is the God's discretion thrust on us...

...either Good or Bad... by Advance Communication and Caution..

Meaningful Dreams have the Spiritual Sense and Human-Values

Nichiro
3rd February 2008, 05:44 PM
Instead of posting a long message, I am providing a
link.

Please visit,

http://www.crystalinks.com/dreams.html

A lot of information is given here.