PDA

View Full Version : Rajini, P Vasu & GV Prakash - Kuselan

krish244
16th January 2008, 10:28 PM
Today I saw a news item on HT news channel that Rajini will act as a lead in a malayalam remake (to Tamil). Immediately searched the net and here is the news. Film is titled "Kuselar".

http://entertainment.oneindia.in/tamil/exclusive/2008/rajinikanth-film-kuselar-160108.html

The below link says music is by Vidhyasagar

http://entertainment.oneindia.in/tamil/exclusive/2008/rajinikanth-katha-parayumbol-080108.html

thanks,

Krishnan

baba88
17th January 2008, 12:20 AM
I heard that the Music is by G.V.Prakash

A.ANAND
17th January 2008, 07:36 AM
I heard that the Music is by G.V.Prakash
no!vidyasagar is md.confirm!

sunthar_p
17th January 2008, 10:43 AM
md is gv prakash..not vidyasagar.....confirmed by p.vasu

A.ANAND
17th January 2008, 11:31 AM
unmaiyathan sollarinngala sir? :shock:

ansa400
17th January 2008, 12:29 PM
unmaiyathan sollarinngala sir? :shock:

yes Anand, G V P is the MD. Read today's sify article

A.ANAND
17th January 2008, 01:01 PM
unmaiyile romba lucky guy-than g.v.p.congrats to g.v.p :clap:

krish244
17th January 2008, 03:09 PM
Looks like a thread already exists for this new movie/music discussion. Did not notice (although I searched for Rajini in the main page) it when creating this thread. Lets continue there (its already 5 pages!).

http://www.mayyam.com/hub/viewtopic.php?t=10985&start=0&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=

thanks,

Krishnan

Raghu
17th January 2008, 03:35 PM
hmm I hope GVP gives couple of songs to Dr.SPB!!!

thumburu
17th January 2008, 03:47 PM
How much ever mediOcre the music is, aka "Chandramukhi", "Padayappa", it is a cofirmed super hit. Lucky teenagaer GVP!!!

dinesh2002
17th January 2008, 05:18 PM
How much ever mediOcre the music is, aka "Chandramukhi", "Padayappa", it is a cofirmed super hit. Lucky teenagaer GVP!!!

Padaiyappa medicore album??? :lol: yea sure.... 8-)

dinesh2002
17th January 2008, 05:20 PM

ohhk... cool... he has done some nice songs so far..... lets see what can he give for a Rajini starrer film... :)

SoftSword
17th January 2008, 08:19 PM

Padaiyappa medicore album??? :lol: yea sure.... 8-)

Leave him alone dinesh...
ask them if someone has an album which is near equal to the padayappas theme music alone...

baba88
4th June 2008, 03:00 AM
[tscii:b5a3bb86c2]Kuselan, Rajinikanth’s much awaited movie after Sivaji will have its music launch on 20th June, according to reports. The movie which is being made simultaneously in Tamil and Telugu, will have two gala functions for the music release.

The producers have reportedly decided that they will hold the music launch of Tamil version in the morning and Telugu version in the evening on the same day.

The film will start its final session of shooting on June 3. Kuselan will have its world wide release on July 18 in both Tamil and Telugu.

Song Bits:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=8kbgpEPfAag&feature=related

http://youtube.com/watch?v=11PzfMs04JQ[/tscii:b5a3bb86c2]

dinesh2002
4th June 2008, 07:01 AM
u know.... when i see this film's tittle.... the 1st thing that i read it as is " KUSSE-lan".... as in fart-lan..... :lol: ... i dunno why.... but its pronounced as KuCHElan isnt it??

That song by SPB cant be from Kuselan isnt it? I rmemer reading an article saying the only singer missing from Kuselan's playlist was SPB....besides...that songs sounds like Balleilaka part 2......

Nerd
4th June 2008, 08:19 AM
The second song is not from kusElan.. The Daler song is very impressive.. Can't wait to get my hands on the album 8-)

Dragun
4th June 2008, 10:45 PM
I think that second song is from Ghatothgachan.

SoftSword
30th June 2008, 03:22 PM
today is the music launch of the movie rite...?
did anybody have any info on this.. or on how the songs are...

july
1st July 2008, 04:46 AM
Guys listen song at
http://www.raaga.com/channels/tamil/movie/T0001326.html
its released.
still listening... 8-)

vasanth2006
1st July 2008, 06:16 AM
Below average songs....There is another Veyilodu vilayadi......
rajini screen presencekkugaka vena HIT agalam....

GVP's pollathavan songs/BGM are excellent.....and veyil to some extent ......Other than that he is very average composer.....I dont find any striking talent in him.....Ellam neram....

MADDY
1st July 2008, 08:27 AM
GVP's pollathavan songs/BGM are excellent.....and veyil to some extent ......Other than that he is very average composer.....I dont find any striking talent in him.....Ellam neram....

watever it is, he is ARRahman's nephew..........he will stay for a while atleast...............to be honest, i never thot u1 will survive after a couple of movies..........u never know..... :P

sat_srini
1st July 2008, 08:33 AM
Songs are pretty good!!!!

GVP is going to be successful just like HJ for the simple fact that his music is melodious. There is atleast one good melody in each of his albums.

vasanth2006
1st July 2008, 09:41 AM

watever it is, he is ARRahman's nephew..........he will stay for a while atleast...............to be honest, i never thot u1 will survive after a couple of movies..........u never know..... :P

I dont have any issues.....But he will stay only if he has real talent and passion.....check rehna or even KR's success.....thats it......I am not saying they dont have the talent....but they have to prove their talent....Regarding u1, in the first 5 or 6 movies, he has given PKP, nandha and the trend setting TI......What GVP has given when the biggest star movie comes in to his hands???.......please mind it U1 didnt have any Big star movies in his initial phase of his carrier....So lets wait and see this guy's fate.....

inetk
1st July 2008, 09:49 AM
[tscii:1e250b8a94]GV Prakash Kumar gets it all wrong in Kuselan’s soundtrack. Nooru, here!
http://itwofs.com/milliblog/2008/07/01/kuselan-tamil-gv-prakash-kumar/[/tscii:1e250b8a94]

vasanth2006
1st July 2008, 10:02 AM
Songs are pretty good!!!!

GVP is going to be successful just like HJ for the simple fact that his music is melodious. There is atleast one good melody in each of his albums.

Please dont compare HJ with GVP....
HJ is much much better than this GVP.....HJ has given some mind blowing melodies (girls love it) though those songs are repetive.....HJ is proved guy over the years.....

One good melody in every album??.....kalai, vellithirai and kuselan in his 6 albums carrier.....Even mani sharma and DSP have given better songs than this guy.....

I am not underestimating his talent here......but my point is clear he has not proved his talent...thats it.....If GVP proves, then i will accept......Just ARR nephewnkirathukkaga support panna koodathu.....KR, rehna kadhai enna achu.......

Ok....as of now i will rate him as a below average composer only....if he proves his mettle, then i will accept him with open mind.....

sat_srini
1st July 2008, 10:24 AM
First of all, I never said that he is better than HJ or vice versa. All I said was that his music is melodious. Why don't you read my post properly?

Second of all, how the heck do you know that I support him because of him being ARR's nephew? Just bcos I have a picture of ARR as my ID does not mean that I should support his entire family.

Lets wait and see how he does, maybe he will succeed, maybe he will not. As far as I am concerned, I liked some of his songs in Veyyil, Kreedom, Oram Po, Polladhavan, Vellithirai and now Kuselan and if you didn't then thats not my problem. :wave:

united07
1st July 2008, 11:03 AM
If ARR can't pull it off with Cineme Cinema in Baba with SM i don't think GVP can....

definitely no.....

WE WANT SPB!!!!!

Thalafanz
1st July 2008, 11:15 AM
Just ARR nephewnkirathukkaga support panna koodathu.....KR, rehna kadhai enna achu.......

Whats wrong if ARR fans support him??? :huh:
IR fans U1-a support pannurathillayA, appa engga pOnEngga sir??? :P

Ok....as of now i will rate him as a below average composer only....

Just think, he got a big star movie in short period of time. Why would they chose him if he hasn't proved anything (according to u)... 8-)
Is anyone else smell the stomach burning smell here??? :wink:

SoftSword
1st July 2008, 11:19 AM
please give me the download link if available...
my hands are shivering... :)

kham
1st July 2008, 12:30 PM
Wondering y they didnt select YSR for Kuselan??? Was he so busy??? Ha ha...

Good job GVP at a very young age... U should hav real guts to do music for a Rajini film music as the ezpectation is high...

Either way GVP hav lived to the expectation...

A.ANAND
1st July 2008, 01:16 PM
fist 1 thing we must know,rajini is not a hero in kuseelan.just special apperiance[importern role]hero is pasupathy.just1 or 2 song will picturatation for him.

songs r ok,movie relese ana songs ellam hit agidum.mattapadi gvp better than ysr and hj ethellam thevai illa!but arr fans gvp support pannuvathil entha tappum illa!

SoftSword
1st July 2008, 03:21 PM
[tscii:24a7479d4a]GVP interview...

Just hours before the biggest moment of his life, the audio launch of the superstar Rajinikanth starrer 'Kuselan', G.V. Prakash in an exclusive interview to Indiaglitz, spoke about the excitement factor and his experiences working for this highly anticipated movie.

Here are excerpts from the interview….

How did 'Kuselan' happen?

Got a call from P. Vasu’s office and was told about Rajini sir’s next project. I took the car and dashed to his house immediately.

What went through your mind about composing for the superstar?

I am a huge fan of the superstar. Thoughts of musical composition engulfed my mind that night itself and I started composing. As a big fan of Rajini sir, I wanted to appease the fan in me first. I guess that worked big time.

Your experiences working with P. Vasu?

P. Vasu gave me enough space so that I would feel comfortable. He actually had an amazing team and I felt happy and thrilled working for 'Kuselan'. Working with that terrific team made me come up with a good performance. P. Vasu was wonderful and I thank him for giving me this opportunity.

Your thoughts on composing a song for celebrating 75 years of Tamil Cinema at such a young age….

I am happy with the result of 'Cinema….Cinema'. I have been previledged to do this song. Not only is it celebrating 75 years of Tamil Cinema, but also is the introduction song of the superstar. So I had to amalgamate his style in the song too. As I said, I am happy with the result and I am sure it will a huge treat for Rajini fans.

Rajini sir called me over the phone and congratulated me. We spoke for 25 minutes and am thrilled with the outcome.

Which is the song closest to your heart?

I like 'Cinema….Cinema', 'O Zaarare' but the closest to my heart is a song called 'Sollamma'. My friends love 'Cinema….Cinema'. They kept pestering me to play it all the time. 'O Zaarare' has also come out very good. In fact I asked Daler Mehndi to sing for two days. I was very particular to get the perfection right.

What about K. Balachander? Did he like it too?

I started out with the project only after getting his blessings. He hasn't spoken to me yet about the songs but I am sure he'll talk to me about his impression soon.

Would 'Kuselan' put you under pressure for forthcoming films?

No way. I am sure after 'Kuselan' my market precense will increase a lot. I have a very good line of impressive films that have scope for the musical element in a big way. I have director Selvaraghavan's film on hand and then 'Anandha Thandavam'. I have the next film of the 'Polladhavan' director and then 'Angadi Theru'. I am looking forward to working in these films.

How will your celebrate the success of 'Kuselan'?

Well, hangout with friends, attend all the phone calls and generally be happy.

===============================

looks like cinema cinema is the intro song for thalaivar... [/tscii:24a7479d4a]

interz
1st July 2008, 03:26 PM
Kuselan songs are OK. Not too good, not that bad.

I expected a lot more when i heard Dhaler Mehndi was one of the singers in this movie.

Some of the songs sounds like Enigma/Deep forest music blend with tamil lyrics.

viraajan
1st July 2008, 04:11 PM
Better luck next time GVP.

http://visionofvinith.blogspot.com/2008/07/kuselan-music-review-why-gvp.html

Madevan94
1st July 2008, 05:50 PM
listen the tune of om zarare from 1min 44 and compare with this one...

http://youtube.com/watch?v=Wl1aB3yMB5s

uncle stamp all the way...

viraajan
1st July 2008, 05:57 PM
if i am not wrong,

even in chaaral song, music from 1.20 (presicely from 1.30), sounds very similar to some part of "sandhosa kannere song" of uyire.

comments pls...

SoftSword
1st July 2008, 06:01 PM
its very much possible that GVP uses ARR's bits and pieces for his compositions....
thats very much evident in the kireedom's "akkam pakkam" song...

sgmsin
1st July 2008, 06:47 PM
Composer: GV Prakash Kumar
Blatantly lifted off Keith Urban's 'Somebody like you'.
Listen to Sooriyane | Somebody like you
Its a bloody direct and ruthless lift. The fact that it is by an upcoming, talented and young composer really hurts since there's really no need at his stage in career to resort to such blatant plagiarism.

dinesh2002
1st July 2008, 07:19 PM
songs r not bad... Om Zaare Zaare being the pick of the album [for me].....

but sadly it sounds very similar to Vaaji Vaaji. Guessing this is the song for that posters we saw that looked like Vaaji's picturisation....

Chaaral sounds good too...

but depresing to see he reharsh his Veyilode Vilayadhi song for a Rajini starrer film.... shocking.....

rsubras
1st July 2008, 08:18 PM
The best thing is...in Radio One interview, when some one asked GVP.......Usually only SPB sings the intro song for Rajini, so why Shankar mahadevan this time? GVP answered... "well i am here to break the trend...i wanted something different...thatz why"...

Trend break panrathellam fine.....aanaa history ah just oru 5 years thiruppi paartha...avanga mama ithe maathiri trend ah break panni BABA padathukku opening song shankar mahadevan ah paada vachathu therinjirukum...... (infact athaiye oru trend aaki... pala wannabe superstars avanga padathula opening song Shankar mahadevan ah paada vachanga) sila loosuthanam panna koodathu..... pannina athai justify panna theriyanum...... little kid GVP is yet to know that nuances... :)

GVP said so many other things as well as a reply for that question...... almost putting down SPB, but somehow managed to answer some thathakka puthakka stuff...

viraajan
1st July 2008, 08:31 PM
The best thing is...in Radio One interview, when some one asked GVP.......Usually only SPB sings the intro song for Rajini, so why Shankar mahadevan this time? GVP answered... "well i am here to break the trend...i wanted something different...thatz why"...

Trend break panrathellam fine.....aanaa history ah just oru 5 years thiruppi paartha...avanga mama ithe maathiri trend ah break panni BABA padathukku opening song shankar mahadevan ah paada vachathu therinjirukum...... (infact athaiye oru trend aaki... pala wannabe superstars avanga padathula opening song Shankar mahadevan ah paada vachanga) sila loosuthanam panna koodathu..... pannina athai justify panna theriyanum...... little kid GVP is yet to know that nuances... :)

GVP said so many other things as well as a reply for that question...... almost putting down SPB, but somehow managed to answer some thathakka puthakka stuff...

I am really suprised that why even Rajni didnt consider SPB. Thats a big insult to this veteran singer IMHO.

SoftSword
1st July 2008, 09:09 PM
i agree to that point guys....
SPB should have been used... but still i don think its a very worse idea to leave him...

selvakumar
1st July 2008, 09:59 PM
http://www.orkut.com/CommMsgs.aspx?cmm=1232211&tid=5216742873458351594

Shreya's song in Kuselan

It's now official...Shreya Ghoshal is singing a solo number in Rajnikanth's next tamil film Kuselan ( Kathanayakudu in Telugu) .....

Shreya is back in tamil after Arain En kadavul...most important here is that she's singing for G.V.Prakash after 2 yrs...the first song was Uruguthe with Shankar mahadevan for Veyil which was a smash hit... wow!!! what a song!!!

The Kuselan song will be picturised on Nayanthara dancing with kids...The song is 'Chaarai'....The speciality here is that it'll have kids for chorus.. remember the song Urzu Durkut???.. ...Audio releasing on June 30... I just can't wait... Check out the link below

http://www.raaga.com/channels/tamil/movie/T0001326.html

Let me check out the song from THALAIVI

Nerd
1st July 2008, 10:23 PM
Shankar gave veyyil audio CD to rajini during sivaji shooting and one fine day rajini listened to veyyil..He was chosen only on the merits of veyyil. Rajini liked the album like most and he enquired Shankar and Shankar was all praises for GVP.. I don't find anything *abnormal* in this..

vigneshram
1st July 2008, 10:37 PM
GVP lets down Rajini and his fans...
http://vigneshram.blogspot.com/2008/07/kuselan-music-review.html

kham
2nd July 2008, 09:08 AM
Guys to be honest albums grows with listening...
N im sure it will be great with the picturisation...
N also to dis guys age, he has handled well with the huge pressure... Common guys, its his 8th movie n have done reasonably well...

There are so many ppls stomach burning n just thrashing da songs... Its just bcoz of pure jealouslyness n nothing else...

Music lovers enjoy discussing the Kuselan songs...

viraajan
2nd July 2008, 09:35 AM
Kham,

Certainly not.
These are MHO,

* His veyil, kreedom were better than Kuselan.
* And moreover, i'm not here to bash up GVP, even in my review, i had said that it's purely vasu's mistake.
* It's too early for him to compose music for a rajni movie.
* GVP was not given ample time to score music, he had to compose within 4 months of time that too for a rajni movie.
* At the same time, when GVP could bring good quality in 3 months of time for Kridom, i feel he could have concentrated more for this movie to deliver a better quality.

Nerd
2nd July 2008, 09:53 AM
OK, all you music connoisseurs, how does this one compare with vasu's recent albums? (paramasivan, CM, kAdhal kisu kisu) A director is an integral part in the song-discussion sittings, so this comparison will be a little sensible I am guessing..

viraajan
2nd July 2008, 10:08 AM
OK, all you music connoisseurs, how does this one compare with vasu's recent albums? (paramasivan, CM, kAdhal kisu kisu) A director is an integral part in the song-discussion sittings, so this comparison will be a little sensible I am guessing..

TPM, Chandramuki were better than this.

SoftSword
2nd July 2008, 10:43 AM
// thanks maddy for understanding whats going here....

and now... lets only discuss on the topic here.. ;)
the only thing which hurts me in the album bigtime is, why he used the veyilodu vilayaadi rhythms in a rajni album.... what is the need for him to use somethin which is very obvious.... wherein that rhythm is played every now and then in sun music and made it a household tune....

Chelian
2nd July 2008, 12:47 PM
Lets stick to comments on the album guys..
My opinion is even if an album is trash,,,given the publicity to rajini's movies,,,they will be 'hits'.

kham
2nd July 2008, 01:23 PM
guys songs r impressive while listenin in headset...
lot of layer works done... :)

selvakumar
2nd July 2008, 01:28 PM
How is the Shreya Ghosal song ?

SoftSword
2nd July 2008, 03:15 PM
hey...
in almost all the songs at some point i get an already heard kind of sounds and tunes, though in some places gvp tried new things....
i guess gvp will get both positive and negative feedbacks for his work here....

but i would say...
the three superstar glorifying songs are mass... and the other two are class songs... especially the sollamma... the lyrics and the soft flowing tune is too good....
guess gvp has tried to please both the sections... and only after the movie releases, we can say if his efforts are fruitful are useless...

kham
2nd July 2008, 03:16 PM
Softsword listen in good quality headphones...
U will notice a lotof layer works... :)

SoftSword
2nd July 2008, 03:17 PM
yeah... i am yet to do that...
lets try to find the good things in what is available now... :)

dinesh2002
2nd July 2008, 03:49 PM
Om Zaare Zaare is just too good, been in loop for a day..... this song helps me 4get the other medicore numbers.... the number by Hariharan and Sujatha is awefully sweet, but dunno y it reminds me of Mudhal Murai - Sangamam.... :)

kham
2nd July 2008, 03:51 PM
dinesh da songs hav da heard b4 feelin...
But songs r nice, like oom zaare, sollamma, n cinema n perinba sounds good...
chaaral i din like dat much 4 now

SoftSword
2nd July 2008, 04:10 PM
Om Zaare Zaare is just too good, been in loop for a day..... this song helps me 4get the other medicore numbers.... the number by Hariharan and Sujatha is awefully sweet, but dunno y it reminds me of Mudhal Murai - Sangamam.... :)

dinesh i have started linking cinema cinema song...
as u said... it reminds me of suriyano chandhirano as u said....
also the initial chants reminds me of "munnaal munnaal vaada" chant from ATM...
thought they struggled to fullin the words into the tune, i feel that shankar mahadevan has done a great piece of work...

and as rajnis usual intro, this is not the one which is been sung by thalaivar it seems... its just others singing about him and others... so i am ok if shankar sings this...

dinesh2002
2nd July 2008, 05:51 PM
dinesh da songs hav da heard b4 feelin...
But songs r nice, like oom zaare, sollamma, n cinema n perinba sounds good...
chaaral i din like dat much 4 now

yes.... im sure after movie release it will become a big hit.... just cant wait to see the Om Zaare's picturisation.... lets see how xerox vasu has xeroxed Vaaji's picturisation.....

that song has lots of Rajini's film name but Sivaji, the biggest hit, whats worse, they lifted the idea of picturisation and song from Sivaji film but never give credits to it atleast in the song.... :roll:

yes SS.... true.... cinema cinema sounds ok too...

Cinema is the song that Rajini appears in 20 get ups rite????

viraajan
2nd July 2008, 06:14 PM
How is the Shreya Ghosal song ?

shreya is simply superb after a hiatus :)

Nerd
2nd July 2008, 07:03 PM
whats with vaaji vaaji and om zaarare?? I don't see a connection.. And thalaivar is appearing in 20 get ups in the song including vettaya raja and vaaji vaaji ... Why credits and all :lol:

viraajan
2nd July 2008, 07:19 PM
whats with vaaji vaaji and om zaarare?? I don't see a connection.. And thalaivar is appearing in 20 get ups in the song including vettaya raja and vaaji vaaji ... Why credits and all :lol:

vaaji and om zarare sound similar. rhythm, style, orchestration wise. :(

vjrag_ind
2nd July 2008, 09:30 PM
On a scale of 1 to 10, this album is abysmal.
Making Daler sing for Rajni is pure horrible. Rajni deserves better. This "fancy" trend of making non-tamils, who can't speak/understand a word of tamil, sing in Tamil has to stop.

viraajan
3rd July 2008, 10:01 AM
guys,

what do you think abt 2nd interlude in Cinema song? Doesn't it sound grand?

IMO, GVP could have used it as prelude that would have been great.

which is intro song? Cinema or Om Zarare?

SoftSword
3rd July 2008, 01:15 PM
[tscii:3b7c69813a]
Starring Rajinikanth, Nayanthara and Meena, with a host of regional actors, this bilingual (in Tamil and Telugu) blockbuster is adapted from the Malayalam movie Kadha Parayumbol. In his own inimitable style, Rajini essays the guest role Mammootty made famous in the recent Malayalam hit. And Rajini being Rajini, has more than a cameo role here.

The audio rights were bagged by Big Music for a never-heard-

of-before 2.25 crores. This seems to have raised a lot of expectations among listeners. The soundtrack was released in a glittering function on 30th June.

A live performance of the songs is also being planned by Big Music. Two numbers from the album sing Rajini’s praise unreservedly, and also list his movies. Another touchingly commemorates the 75th anniversary of Tamil Cinema itself, in Vaali’s lyrics! G.V.Prakash, the composer, shows good promise.

Cinema, Cinema
Vocals: Shankar Mahadevan & chorus, Lyrics: Vaali

A majestic instrumental opening: Speaks of the way cinema gives form and shape to long forgotten names and figures ,like Karnan, Kattabomman etc; (why, even God, for that matter) and enriches our imagination. Vaali fondly recalls the employment generated for scores of people by way of group dancing and extras. And the kind of co operation that goes into bringing out a movie. The song also happily revels in the fame achieved by the Superstar, cutting across all layers of society! ‘Super staarum sooriyanum dhaan ulagam suttri’ is an impish line, truly! Seems to be based on Natabhairavi scale with the phrase’ paa saa nee dha’ employed attractively. Violins are very pleasingly used. A fitting tribute to the industry in Shankar Mahadevan’s passionate voice. Strong rhythms seem to cut into the smooth flow of the lyric.

Sollamma, Sollamma
Vocals: Hariharan, Sujatha, Ranjani, Pooja, Lyrics: P.Vijay

A pleasant surprise of a song, with lovely use of Pahadi strains. Paints a picture of happiness and love in the midst of gentle poverty. Wherever ghatam and flute combine, it is sheer delight! Mandolin and guitar also make their combined presence felt. Sujatha sings with feeling and a lot of polish. Hariharan is as sweet as ever, and the younger voices have been blended well, too. You need time to relish the intricate musical phrases scattered throughout this piece and the lyric itself. Could be a hit soon

Om Zaarere
Vocals: Daler Mehndi, Chitra, Sadhana Sargam, Lyrics: Vaali

A collection of Rajini movie titles have been strung together in this song. The instrumental interludes have been programmed with Rajini’s unique walking style in mind, is what one feels! Who sings this on screen remains to be seen. Daler Mehndi sings with josh and of course a ‘northie’ pronounciation. The constant refrain’ om zaarere’ is quite catchy. Chitra and Sadhana Sargam combine effortlessly. The jandai vaadhyam at the end flows smoothly along with the typical Punjabi beat of the song.

Chaaral
Vocals: Shreya Ghosal & chorus, Lyrics: Dr.Kridhaya

A young woman’s ecstatic response to falling rain is what this song is all about. All the rain related sounds, like the’ plop’ of water, croaking of frogs have been blended in. The take-off’ sagamapamaaga’ is very lilting. Shreya delights with her spontaneity. Guitar and violin too sound very soothing with a base of Gambhira nattai for this song. The lyrics are just about smooth. Could have been better.

Perinba
Vocals: Kailash Kher, V.V.Prasanna, Lyrics: Yugabarathy

A real hip-shaking, foot-tapping number which establishes the ‘Rahmanesque’ pedigree of G.V.Prakash. The song has a sufi-song rhythm to it which lingers on in your mind long after you’ve heard it. Appears to be based on Sindubhairavi, at least the song! The rhythm alone (Chatusra laghu) carries the song through and the other instruments are incidental. High pitched and low pitched renderings alternate. This song is another ode to Rajini and sings about his universal appeal .Could make it to the charts too.

Verdict:

G.V.Prakash has a natural talent for music composition. Being young (only 22) he seems to be naturally disposed towards strong rhythms over melodies, though he could have given what the film itself demanded here. One affectionately hopes that this young lad delight us with many more memorable songs in the years to come. A dedicated attempt from this young man!

//behindwoods

a positive review indeed...
[/tscii:3b7c69813a]

SoftSword
3rd July 2008, 03:22 PM
perinba pechukkaran song is increasing my interest...
cos it is glorifies the hari cutting people...
though in the initial lines it speaks about super star... i guess it ll be superstar singing in return abt pasupathi and his job....

cant wait to see how this song is picturised....

dinesh2002
3rd July 2008, 05:13 PM
hahahah .... people treating this as a RAJINI's film... but its not isnt it????

Nerd
3rd July 2008, 07:34 PM
I dont think vaaji and om zaarare are similar in any account 8-)

SoftSword
3rd July 2008, 08:17 PM
I dont think vaaji and om zaarare are similar in any account 8-)

yes... even i don find any similarities even a bit...
i only feel that he has used some sounds which were used in sivaji.. especially athiradi song....

viraajan
3rd July 2008, 08:32 PM
thats what i mentinoned it as orchestration...

also, madhusree and sadhana sound similar usually). so it naturally gives that feel...

But then i strongly feel that GVP should break this to create his own style...

dinesh2002
3rd July 2008, 09:36 PM

also, madhusree and sadhana sound similar usually). so it naturally gives that feel...

yes virajan, thats y he used Sadhana for this song i believe...

the similarity is there.... lemme point u some i noticed immediately ...

Om Zaarare - 1:43 - 1:52 = Vaaji - 0:57 - 1:07

Om Zaarare - 4:38 - 4:53 = Vaaji - 3:26 - 3:43

small parts i know... but yea.... wanted to share it la...

and the feel is somehow there, being a hardcore Vaaji Vaaji song fan, haha... yea... its easy for me to catch the feel.... :) ....

Mahen
4th July 2008, 06:05 AM
Oh god...Im addicted to sollama..Such a beautiful song...Enna melody :clap: Simple lyrics yet meaningful...ARR is gona be proud of his nephew :)

kham
4th July 2008, 09:04 AM

Dude if u dont know, after ARR nobody came into the music scene to create thr own style...

Sanjeevi
4th July 2008, 09:07 AM
-deleted-

SoftSword
4th July 2008, 06:22 PM

yes virajan, thats y he used Sadhana for this song i believe...

the similarity is there.... lemme point u some i noticed immediately ...

Om Zaarare - 1:43 - 1:52 = Vaaji - 0:57 - 1:07

Om Zaarare - 4:38 - 4:53 = Vaaji - 3:26 - 3:43

small parts i know... but yea.... wanted to share it la...

and the feel is somehow there, being a hardcore Vaaji Vaaji song fan, haha... yea... its easy for me to catch the feel.... :) ....

dinesh....
the 1:43 to 1:52 bit u mentioned actually reminds me of another bit of ARR...
"en anbae... aaruyirae... en anbae aaruyir neeyae...
en anbae...aaruyirae... en anbae anbae aaruyirae..............."

getting it??

SoftSword
7th July 2008, 02:52 PM
[tscii:3b54059853]G. V. Prakash rockets himself to cloud nine
IndiaGlitz [Saturday, July 05, 2008]

G V Prakash is flying high these days. The songs he composed for 'Kuselan' is topping the audio charts and what's more…. he is flooded with offers from just about everybody in Kollywood. Appreciation from the superstar himself has landed him in great joy.

Meanwhile, the young music director is hoping for more variety in his music.

The talented young man who has in his films used several singers feels that variety is the need of the hour. He chose Punjabi singer Daler Mehandi to render a song in 'Kuselan', and opted for veteran playback singer P B Srinivas in 'Ayirathil Oruvan' and Subha Mudgal in 'Anand Thandavam'. Prakash, who has sung for the likes of A R Rahman and Harris Jeyaraj, will be lending his voice for his own music for the first time in 'Angadi Theru'.

'I want to go in for variety. I always look to explore with new voices,' the young happy music director says.

[/tscii:3b54059853]

krish244
8th July 2008, 10:42 AM
GVP interview in NDTV:

http://www.ndtvmusic.com/story.asp?id=ENTEN20080056068

For one of the question, he answered thus:

T S Sudhir: You have sung for Rahman when you were even younger.

Prakash: Yes, I sang for Rahman sir in Anniyan.

Rahman :shock: ? illusion or mistake by NDTV?

thanks,

Krishnan

SoftSword
8th July 2008, 02:44 PM
guys....
i have really started like the songs...
except the saaral one... its quite boring and nothing interesting for me....
all the other songs... rocks...

dinesh2002
8th July 2008, 05:20 PM
GVP interview in NDTV:

thanks,

Krishnan

think it was suppose to be GENTLEMAN instead, but couldnt get ANNIYAN out of thier mind... lol...

SoftSword
8th July 2008, 07:14 PM
GVP interview in NDTV:

thanks,

Krishnan

think it was suppose to be GENTLEMAN instead, but couldnt get ANNIYAN out of thier mind... lol...

or maybe he told indian... and they interpreted it to be anniyan...

jangofett
19th July 2008, 11:46 PM
I now realize why GVP is the music director for this movie - because of Shankar. I think someone posted that Rajni liked Veyil and with reference from Shankar - what else is needed...

Cinema Cinema reminds me of Baba Cinema Cinema!!! Just joking but the song is not memorable and lacks a good intro tune...

Sollama is sweet and melodious and most probably will be used on the barber's family...

Om Zaarare is the best tune - very addictive...

Chaaral is also very good - reminds me of Barso Re from Guru...

Perinba would have been good if only GVP did not recycle something so obviously...

At least 3 good tracks is OK enough. These days it's very hard for a Tamil music director to deliver in all fronts - just ask ARR for his latest release...

baba88
20th July 2008, 04:14 PM
I think GVP is really immature and he shows it by trying not to show it. For example he always says ARR sir and this shows that he wants to distance himself from his uncles successes but if he would be mature enough he just wouldn't take care of it. And he always tries to say that he is a down to earth person and that he is a hard worker personality but this all has to be said by other people and not by himself.

vasanth2006
21st July 2008, 01:58 AM
[tscii]GVPkku thread illaiya?? :roll:

http://www.behindwoods.com/features/Interviews/interview-5/music-director/g-v-prakash-kumar.html

Just 22, and he gets a personal call from Rajini, telling him his Kuselan music album is a benchmark in Tamil movie music. Find out in this exclusive Behindwoods interview why he and his uncle, A.R. Rahman, never discuss music when they meet, why he dislikes remix songs, and his burning desire to bring home India’s first Oscar.

"Please stop comparing Rahman and me."

BW: On the Kuselan album

GV: The movie is a very emotional story about two friends. One, played by Pasupathy is an ordinary man, and the other played by Rajini, is a superstar called Ashok Raj. Now the songs for each character is different in sensibility: a song like Sollamma, Sollamma reflects the life of Pasupathy, a song like Perinba talks about a superstar’s awesome achievements. Om Zaarere is Rajini’s duet, Nayan’s song, Chaaral is more hip and modern. The idea was to have different emotions in each song that suits the character. Here the Superstar appears in the movie for an hour, unlike in the Malayalam original where Mamooty only does a cameo. The scale of the songs for Superstar here have been done spectacularly.

What has been the Superstar’s reactions to the album?

He loves it. He has called me at least twice on my mobile to tell me that I have crossed the records of any other Tamil music album. Rajini Sir and I have become good friends! (Laughs). It’s amazing to hear him say ‘we are setting new records’. Om Zaarere is being played everywhere –I hear it even in cars. But I tell myself always: okay, you’ve made a hit song. Now move on and see how you can do better with your next album.

Which songs does Rajini particularly like?

If you’re looking at melody, he likes Sollamma, if you’re thinking of a hit, he likes Om Zaarere.
“ Rajini called me at least twice on my mobile”

How difficult is to compose music for the Superstar?

See, it depends on the composer. If you give me a choice between two difficult song situations and two easy song situations, I’ll take the tougher one. That’s my character: to take on a challenge. And in Kuselan I’ve met that challenge in such a way that the Superstar is pleased.

Are you satisfied with the album?

I am very satisfied – I think it’s my best to date.

“ Rahman and myself like our own space ”

What has Rahman said about the album

Well, he likes the Chaaral song and the Cinema, Cinema song. And that was great to hear from the legend.

How difficult is to be A.R’s nephew –what are the expectations and pressures of that?

First of all, there is no comparison between us. That is all the work of blogs and fans. You have to take that away from your mind and listen to my music independently. Then you’ll see that my music is different from A.R. Besides, as a family we don’t meet to discuss music. We meet rarely and when we do we talk about other things. If A.R. says something about my music it will be to my sound engineer, and then I get to hear from him that he liked such and such song. I heard that he liked my songs in Veyil. That’s how we are: we like our own space.

What are your personal ambitions?

I have a long way to go. I’m just starting. But I’d like to bring the first Oscar to India. I’d like to aim for something like that.

Who are your favorite music composers?

Apart from Rahman, I like Ennio Morriccone, Hans Zimmer and James Horner. In Bollywood, I like Shankar, Eshan, Loy.

Have you heard Dasavatharam’s music?

Himesh does what he knows best in his style. I liked Oh Ho Sanam song

What is your method?
I do two songs in my style, and I let the director choose the rest. I give the option to them. I give the directors a lot of space.
“ I’d like to bring the first Oscar to India ”

What inspires you?
Even a painting can inspire me. Or a story. The story in Veyil inspired me very much.

Your feelings about Veyil?
I am thrilled that my very first movie went to Cannes, and won the National, State and Filmfare award. Thanks to Vasantha Balan. The combo worked out superbly.

For the cinema, cinema song in Kuselan one of the people you had called to appear in the song is director Vijay of Kreedom. Why did you choose him?
We think on the same wavelength. We discuss each other’s work. We go out to dinner. He has been a great help to me. And a really nice person. Recently for my birthday-which was June 13th, he threw a surprise party for me. I thought one way to return his gesture was to include him in the song as a way of honoring him.

When do you feel fully satisfied with a song?

Only after the final mix is over. Before that I am never satisfied. Also, I know when I’m tuning a song that it could be a hit. Such as Urugudhe. And for Polladavan and Veyil I got claps in the theatre for the hit songs.

How do you choose a particular playback voice for a song?

I know it instinctively. For instance, for Om Zaarere I just knew it had to be sung by Daler Mehendi. And I invited him to sing it. Veyil I thought will be good for Kailash Kher’s voice, and I got him to do it.

One song in Kuselan goes up to 7 minutes rather than the usual five.

The song required it because at one point at the end of the story the movie shifts to Kerala, and that’s where the extra two minutes of the song comes in.

You seem to dislike doing remix songs.

I’ve just begun composing. Why should I resort to remix? I have so many tunes to offer to cinema. That’s why I avoid them. However, for a forthcoming Selvaraghavan film, the visuals require it. In this case I am doing a remix. They have already spent so much on the song, I can’t come and spoil that.

What do you tell your playback singers usually?

To co-operate as much as possible, and not give excuses like I was held up elsewhere and so I am late. Also, to give their maximum when singing.

Directors you’d like to compose for?

Mani Sir. In Bollywood, Sanjay Leela Bhansali and Faran Aktar.

Fave playbacks?

Lata Mageshkar, Rahman’s voice I like very much. Chitra madam, Alka Yagnik, Shankar Mahadevan – and a lot of other singers.

“ When I hear New York Nagaram, I can’t move. ”

Fave songs?
From Jillunu Oru Kadhal- New York Nagaram. When I hear that song, I just have to sit down and hear it fully, and only then continue with what I’m doing. Luka Chuppi from Rang De Basanti, and the duet song from Ilayaraaja Sir’s Hey Ram.

Actors to compose for?

SRK, Rajini, Nana Patekar, Kamal. Especially after seeing Dasavatharam, I have become a big fan. How seamlessly he has pulled off ten characters. Among heroines, Kajol, Simran and Jyothika.

Your age?

Love letters from fans?

A lot of fan mail but none of them are love letters from girls. If I get one, I’ll make sure to send it to Behindwoods!

Any plans to hold a live concert?

Yes! We plan to hold one soon. All the singers for Kuselan will be there, and it will be a live Kuselan concert.

Your most memorable experience in the industry so far?

When Rajini Sir called me and said Kuselan was a great album. Suddenly the phone rang, and the voice on the other end says, Hello, this is Rajinikanth. For a moment, I was frozen. I kept thinking: how can I save this call?!

dinesh2002
21st July 2008, 06:52 AM
Vasanth... no need a thread for him... he hasnt churned out an album that made the whole TN turn an look at him... let him compose such album... aparam parpom... :)

A.ANAND
21st July 2008, 09:39 AM
Vasanth... no need a thread for him... he hasnt churned out an album that made the whole TN turn an look at him... let him compose such album... aparam parpom... :)
:yes: but athukula avarukkum konjam 'thalaikanam'[ego]vanthuruchu!

baba88
21st July 2008, 03:38 PM
everything he has got so far is because of his uncle. I think without ARR he wouldn't even got Veyyil. The most disturbing thing is that he says always ARR sir.

A.ANAND
21st July 2008, 03:51 PM
uncle..uncle innu sonna romba unconfortabble-la irukumam arr-rukku .apadi innu gvp sollararu!ithu eppadi irukku kekka :ashamed:

baba88
22nd July 2008, 06:09 PM
Why is there no trailer for Kuselan ?

app_engine
7th August 2008, 02:34 AM
Now that the movie is out (albeit amidst some Karnataka apology controversy), what is the level of acceptance of the songs in TN? Are they loud speaker'd in cities as well as patti-thottis thus establishing the young composer as a "combo of IR-ARR"?

A.ANAND
7th August 2008, 07:19 AM
combo of IR-ARR innu sollarathu ellam romba over!rajini etho unnarchi vasapattu sollitaru!combo of ARR vena sollalam!

Sanjeevi
7th August 2008, 11:07 AM
http://madippakkam.blogspot.com/2008/08/blog-post.html

இயக்குனரே இந்த லட்சணத்தில் இருக்கும்போது இசையமைப்பாளர் அவர் பங்குக்கு கொடுமைப்படுத்தியிருக்கிறார். கொஞ்சம் ரசிக்கமுடியாத பாடல்கள், மோசமான பின்னணி இசை

http://parisalkaaran.blogspot.com/2008/08/blog-post.html

டைட்டில் மீயூசிக் கொடுமை! ஆரம்பித்துலேயே எழவு வீட்டுக்குள்ள போனமாதிரி ஒரு ஸ்லோ மியூசிக்! படம் பார்க்க வந்திருந்தவங்ககிட்ட இருந்த கொஞ்ச நஞ்ச சந்தோஷத்தையும் அந்த டைட்டில் மியூசிக் கொன்னுடுச்சு.

Kuruvi thailaiyula Panankai - EKSI

1000-il oruvan kathi ennakuvumo?

MrJudge
7th August 2008, 12:46 PM
I happened to see the 'cinema cinema' song from Kuselan on TV. I couldn't stop thinking about the 'vandhanam' song from 'aan paavam' released in 1986. The 'vandhanam' song wins hands down easily. I read somewhere that this album has set a new record in sales, EKSI :banghead:

interz
13th August 2008, 12:14 AM
I must admit, GV Prakash BGM during climax was touching. Hats Off to this talent.

Mahen
13th August 2008, 04:31 PM
I must admit, GV Prakash BGM during climax was touching. Hats Off to this talent.

Agreed...esp the flute piece :clap: But critics have been unfair to him :evil:

sarna_blr
13th August 2008, 04:34 PM
I happened to see the 'cinema cinema' song from Kuselan on TV. I couldn't stop thinking about the 'vandhanam' song from 'aan paavam' released in 1986. The 'vandhanam' song wins hands down easily. I read somewhere that this album has set a new record in sales, EKSI :banghead:

Star power 8-)

I felt that songs is similar to thenaalikku enna bayamO from thenaali :? :roll:

baba88
13th August 2008, 06:31 PM

Star power 8-)

I felt that songs is similar to thenaalikku enna bayamO from thenaali :? :roll:

This movie hasn't set any records. It was just for the hype. Sivaji created a record.