PDA

View Full Version : || Raavan(an) | Mani Ratnam | Vikram | Abhishek Bachchan ||

Pages : 1 [2] 3 4

Ramakrishna
24th April 2010, 06:03 PM
behne de and beera all the way.

Releasing the hindi version first is good in a way. The songs sound very hindi-ish, generating a curiosity of how he would have adapted the songs in tamil.
i think thats the problem now...the tamil version wont get into the mind..cos v r listening to hindi first...frist tamil keturndha vere madhiri solirpom :evil:

apdi ellaam onnum illa Raghav..ithu unga mana braandy :lol2:

jinju
24th April 2010, 06:04 PM
yeah mahen n raghav. i had this issue with Yuva/AE where i was hung up on Yuva for long coz i heard it first. it was some days/weeks when i got AE (but in that case the release was on same day i guess, not sure) and so i ate, slept, breathed Yuva until i woke up to the beauty of the tunes merging seamlessly with the lyrics in AE than i found with the hindi version (not that it's bad but i found the tamil lyrics worked better for the tunes)

wen am typing this, am reminded of dhakka laga bukkah :woteva: n Jana Gana Mana :thumbsup: !

hone do dil ko fanaaaaaaa :oops: n yakkai thiri kaadal sudar anbaeeeeee, jeevan nadi kaadhal kadal nenjaeeeeee :notworthy:

mani sir, thalaivaaa tamil version release pannungappaa seekiram!

pilim also, hope they release the tamil version on the same day n dont do this kind of sodhappals. andha trailerlaye abhishek expression thaangamudiyala. hope mani sir comes out of this AB Jr./family fixation n wakes up to the Abhays of Bollywood sooner than later! :(

A.ANAND
24th April 2010, 06:40 PM
thalaivar music-la ippa periya maatram :D songs ellam ketta udane 'hook' pannikuthu :notworthy: munna mathiri 'slw poison'velai ellam illa ippa?

vtv,ravana is nalla proof! :thumbsup:

A.ANAND
24th April 2010, 06:44 PM
[tscii:a8e3af7ab6]Ravan music reviews- a perfect culmination of A.R Rehman and Gulzar

Ravan music review is been eagerly awaited among music buffs across the country as it is going to be A R Rehamn¡¯s latest installment under some great lyric writing by Gulzar sahib. With the two maestros in the world of music we can expect Ravana music review to be nothing less than an awesome treat to the ears. The music of Ravan is releasing today April 24, 2010. The tracks sound amazing and people already love it.

Raavan music review mentions songs like ¡®Beera¡¯ which is a cult Rehman work and carries a perfect blend of energizing tunes coupled with Mustafa Kutoane¡¯s fresh voice. The gist of the music is an uplifting experience about the free-flowing life and has a lot of African flavor to it. Similarly ¡®Ranjha-Ranjha¡¯ has the earthy
voice of Rekha Bharadwaj blended very well with Javed Ali¡¯s voice and amazingly written lyrics by Gulzar.

Ravan Music review can not be completed with the mention of ¡®Thok De Killi¡¯ which is an uplifting track with Sukhwinder Singh¡¯s magic in his signature exotic voice rich with his liveliness and loads of energy well coupled with an Arabic essence in the in-between phrases. ¡®Kata- Kata¡¯ boasts with catchy beats and has the essence of euphoria with layer upon layer of mind-boggling notes. Whereas ¡®Killi Re¡¯ is a complete opposite and can be termed as Semi ¨Cdevotional song with a heart felt rendition by a woman. The track is mild and mellow and a typical A R Rehman work. Raavan music has variety, class and rustic flavor.

Ravan music review will be enough to satisfy the urges of the Mani Ratnam fans till the movie gets ready to hit the screens. Ravan will be releasing in Hindi, Tamil and Telugu on 18th June 2010.

http://infocera.com/Ravan_music_reviews-_a_perfect_culmination_of_A.R_Rehman_and_Gulzar_89 40.htm

[/tscii:a8e3af7ab6]

A.ANAND
24th April 2010, 06:47 PM

though the wait is going to be a bit longer and unbearable, am controlling myself for the tamil version to release and will listen to Raavanan first than Raavan! Smile

Way to go jinju.. Tri lingual means they should release songs in all languages at the same time. Cant compare this delay with VTV. Thats totaly different. The only obvious reason can be to increase and cash in the sales of Hindi version. Maniratnam is so cheap and should be ashamed of himself for using this kind of dirty tricks.

I cant beleive Rahman agreed to delay other versions. Im so dissappointed. Its going to feel like a dub movie.

unmaiyana reason enna innu theriyala,but mahen,ungga feeling than enakum maniratnam mela! :evil:

viraajan
24th April 2010, 07:17 PM
Like most of you, I'm not listening to Hindi versions thoroughly. Just giving a few listens.

Getting used to Hindi songs will definitely give me a feel that tamil words aren't apt for the tune.

From what I have listened, I feel that Kaili re will sound more beautiful in Tamil version! :yes:

mahen01
24th April 2010, 08:36 PM
A.ANAND on Sat Apr 24 9:17:48 2010. [Full View]

mahen01 wrote:
Quote:

though the wait is going to be a bit longer and unbearable, am controlling myself for the tamil version to release and will listen to Raavanan first than Raavan! Smile

Way to go jinju.. Tri lingual means they should release songs in all languages at the same time. Cant compare this delay with VTV. Thats totaly different. The only obvious reason can be to increase and cash in the sales of Hindi version. Maniratnam is so cheap and should be ashamed of himself for using this kind of dirty tricks.

I cant beleive Rahman agreed to delay other versions. Im so dissappointed. Its going to feel like a dub movie.

mahen01
24th April 2010, 08:40 PM
I really want to see Enthiran break all the past records and Raavan do just a normal sales less than VTV. Kudos to Shankar and ARR.

mahen01
24th April 2010, 08:44 PM
Eagerly waiting for Enthiran audio.... Hope they will release before October. Is that the only Tamil ARR album for 2010?

Ramakrishna
24th April 2010, 08:46 PM
VTV released in january. Now raavanan is going to release.

sathya_1979
24th April 2010, 08:50 PM
I really want to see Enthiran break all the past records and Raavan do just a normal sales less than VTV. Kudos to Shankar and ARR.
Idhu enna kaNakku? :confused2:

Ramakrishna
24th April 2010, 08:51 PM
http://www.bollywoodhungama.com/livetv/raavan/index.html

Mahen
24th April 2010, 09:01 PM
http://www.bollywoodhungama.com/livetv/raavan/index.html

KArthik singing live now 8-)

Mahen
24th April 2010, 09:10 PM
Vikram semma smart..he's talking now 8-)

Ramakrishna
24th April 2010, 09:43 PM
Wow..ARR just sung a song ud jaa re. Is it there in the cd?

Mahen
24th April 2010, 09:49 PM
Wow..ARR just sung a song ud jaa re. Is it there in the cd?

NOpe :) MAni refused to speak..only said thank you

Mahen
24th April 2010, 09:52 PM
Thok de killi interlude :musicsmile:

Ramakrishna
24th April 2010, 10:06 PM
The new song by ARR was awesome....best of Raavan i say...WTH it isn't included in the cd. Mind you it is not a short one...5 mins i guess.

Sanjeevi
24th April 2010, 10:16 PM
The new song by ARR was awesome....best of Raavan i say...WTH it isn't included in the cd. Mind you it is not a short one...5 mins i guess.

:lol: ARRku 5 minutE short thanungO

Ramakrishna
24th April 2010, 10:29 PM
http://www.bollywoodhungama.com/movies/mstills/14148/index.html

music man
24th April 2010, 10:35 PM
Music out...Sorry downloaded out of curiosity....:-)

Rocky89
24th April 2010, 11:21 PM
Im not going to listen to Hindi version first. Will wait for another week :)

Ramakrishna
24th April 2010, 11:57 PM
Song by ARR missing in Cds
http://www.hipcast.com/export/P22d45062db86dcff86bc074472e58df4Yl95RlREZ2Fy.mp3

Ramakrishna
25th April 2010, 01:18 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A4LV3RGrzfQ
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jr_AhwRS2RE
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_zOQ7YUAnxM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VRkmNl6L4nI
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=osUT63SceXk

A.ANAND
25th April 2010, 11:10 AM
[tscii:5032f50add]
PlanetBollywood reviews Raavan - 8.5/10

The collaboration of A.R. Rahman and Mani Ratnam has brought us some truly memorable music including Roja (1992), Bombay (1995), Dil Se (1998), Saathiya (2002), Yuva (2004) and lately, Guru (2006). The most outstanding of these, Dil Se, still ranks as the holy grail of Rahman’s work till date. So how does their latest collaboration; Raavan, sound? Well fitting in with the theme and requirements of the movie, it’s largely traditional folk-based music, albeit superbly revitalised (with a modern touch) in places but you will definitely have to give it time to grow on you like most of Rahman’s work! The best of the tracks include the experimental but explosive “Beera” and “Thok Di Killi” but the real gems are the mesmerizing “Ranjha Ranjha” and the haunting “Behene De”. Overall, the soundtrack is diverse, varied and very enjoyable but not quite comparable to Rahman’s best work. That said, it’s comfortably the best soundtrack of 2010 thus far and as such, is an essential buy!

Detailed Review

This is it! This is the big one! This is where it all started. I am of course referring to the historic collaboration between music composer A.R.Rahman and movie director Mani Ratnam which takes us back to Rahman’s debut and award winning soundtrack: Roja (1992). What an awesome soundtrack that was and whilst he has gone onto bigger things since then (including countless domestic and international awards), perhaps we owe Ratnam some due for allowing such talent to hit the big time? And perhaps Rahman recognises that because arguably his best music has been reserved for Ratnam over the years; Roja (1992), Bombay (1995), Dil Se (1998), Saathiya (2002), Yuva (2004) and lately,Guru (2006). The most outstanding of these, Dil Se, still ranks as the holy grail of Rahman’s work till date. So does this immense legacy continue in the latest collaboration for the movie Raavan? Let’s find out double quick!

Track 1: “Beera” (3:15)

If the opening track isn’t a statement of intent then I don’t know what is! It’s got Rahman’s ‘experimental’ stamp all over it. Right from those stunning (introductory) ethnic vocals, chanting and explosive drum / dholak arrangements that awaken your senses, to the rustic flavors that create a worldly feel about the whole song and the plethora of amusingly weird and wonderful sounds (chicken plucks anyone?), you are quickly warped into auditory heaven! Unfortunately the track is short-lived (3:15) and the enormous charm value dips slightly after repeated listening particularly given the nature of the song which is trying to introduce the main character “Beera” (Abhishek Bachchan). Singing by Vijay Prakash and Mustafa Kutoane (additional vocals Keerthi Sagathia) is first class however and the lyrics by Gulzar are situational but apt for the movie. Overall, this is a pacy and energetic song that will evoke many passions inside you (all positive) and it will look fantastic on screen but ultimately it’s too short to have any lasting impact. Think of it as a deliciously well executed experiment made from international flavours and soils!

Track 2: “Behene De” (6:04)

After the experimental opener, Rahman gets down to business with the first truly killer track of Raavan. In contrast to “Beera”, “Behene De” oozes melody amidst the haunting orchestral behemoth that dictates the flow of the song from start to finish. However, its power is reined back during the singing verses and that is where arguably, the modern infused (background) arrangements fall a touch flat. Having said that the simple hand-clapping effect is most welcome! Moving onto Karthik (another singer from Rahman’s dynasty), he is a revelation here, performing like a superstar for his favourite musician. This must rank as one of his best songs to date, his tone is a complete contrast to his "Behka" from Ghajini (2008). His vocals are augmented superbly before the chorus line and he is ably supported by Mohamed Irfan- the effect of the backing vocalist is powerfully received. Gulzar’s striking metaphors are a treat to listen to and visualise. On the downside you have to admit to having a taste of déjà vu with some aspects of the music. For that reason, a slight tinge of disappointment may creep into your mind. But realistically, did you expect another “Beera”? Nevertheless this is a stellar track that can only sound better on screen. Raavan’s music is getting better…

Track 3: “Thok Di Killi” (4:58)

Wow, as a concept this one feels like “Beera” all over again. Lots of attitude and style! But instead of drums and dholak, a short rhythmic blast of electric guitar riffs (by Deepak P.A.) pulverise your senses into submission. Add plenty of dholaks, background chanting and shennai fusion to the mixing pot and you have one crazy melody to dance to! Sukhwinder Singh sounds like he is having a blast singing for Rahman again and along with co singer Am’nico, they are the killer USP with some fantastic vocals. Gulzar’s lyrics are short and snappy and the effect is subtle but effective. “Thok Di Killi” is experimental, fun and brilliantly stylish! Beyond that it doesn't have have much repeat value. Shame.

Track 4: "Ranjha Ranjha" (5:54)

Deep breath listeners…deep breath, are you ready? For we are now entering Rahman’s pinnacle offering for Raavan. And my word is it good. Actually give it time to grown on you and it becomes nothing short of amazing! The opening alaaps allure you to escape into the magic of the song that ranks as one of the most bewitching takes on the romantic genre to come from the Rahman stable for a while (yes “Dil Gira Dafatan” from Delhi 6 was amazing too!). The splashes of peppy modern beats and fusion on a traditional folk music platform works an absolute treat and sounds divine in your ears. Make no mistake this is Rahman at his very best. Singing is palpably epic particularly the performance by Rekha Bharadwaj who takes your breath away (her sufi type chanting of "Ranjha Ranjha" is phenomenal) in what must rank as one of her best ever renditions! Javed Ali has been singing regularly since Jodhaa Akbar but thanks to Rahman, he outdoes himself here with a stirring effort and can only move onto better things (Anuradha Sriram provides fine backing vocals). Gulzar’s folksy lyrics are fantastic (note the opening lines are credited to sufi poet Bulleh Shah's Ranjha Ranjha Kardi). "Ranjha Ranjha" is mesmerizing to the point of no return. It’s just sublime on a level only Rahman can reach. Words cannot describe its beauty but beware, it might just take your breath away…song of 2010!

Track 5: “Khili Re” (4:11)

This track starts on a much slower and soothing note which helps you retrieve your breath after the amazing "Ranjha Ranjha"… but then it’s instantly brought to life by some beautiful vocals marking the return of an awesome singing talent! Reena Bhardwaj recorded her debut song “Yeh Rishta” for Rahman’s superb and under-exposed Meenaxi: A Tale of Three Cities (2004). That catapulted her straight to the top of the Indian music charts and that year she was also nominated for best playback singer. Since then her career has taken off but not so much on the filmi scene. However, Rahman never forgets his singing dynasty and she returns here to mark another fine performance. Musically, the arrangements rest on a semi-classical platform with a range of (classical) instruments (including flute by Naveen Kumar, tabla and a sitar performed by Asad Khan) meticulously crafted for a soothing and pleasurable listening experience. However try peeling away the layers and you might come away disappointed somewhat. Lyrically it is nothing special either. Overall it’s a good song no doubt with even better singing but a huge anti-climax after “Ranjha Ranjha”.

Track 6: "Kata Kata" (5:11)

Apparently Mani Ratnam goes all big for the song picturisation of this one calling on the services of five hundred dancers with the entire production taking four to five days to complete! So to make it sound equally amazing, Rahman himself calls on multi-faceted singers (including Ila Arun, Sapna Awasthi and surprisingly, Kunal Ganjawalla) and co-ordinates an amusing story based song with seamless efficiency. Expect plenty of dholaks, hand clapping, shenai, oud and other folksy dance instrumentation (arrangements by Ranjith Barot) alongside the percussive orchestra provided by Rahman's own Chennai Strings. The singing is particularly effective and lyrics by Gulzar are in tune with the situational requirements of the movie. This one will hit the bulls-eye on screen for sure but perhaps the impact, appeal or quality isn’t up to the comparable dance based “Azeem-o-Shaan Shahensha” (Jodhaa Abkar) or a "Mitwa" (Lagaan).

Overall Raavan is a fascinating and diverse soundtrack that deserves repeated listening to be fully appreciated. Forget anything else this year, you owe it to yourself to discover the music on offer here. There is a lot of experimentation as heard in “Beera” and “Thok Di Killi”. Also that experimentation extends to the singers- just check out the amazing talent and fresh faces on show here, most of whom we have never heard before! Elsewhere you will find other reasons to rejoice in the music (“Ranjha Ranjha” and “Behene De”) and although arguably it never consistently reaches Rahman’s best (the music doesn't always have multiple layers to peel away), Raavan is still his most varied, folksy and interesting soundtrack in a long while. Mani Ratnam is surely happy and so should you be. A strong contender for soundtrack of the year!

http://www.planetbollywood.com/displayReview.php?id=m042310081210[/tscii:5032f50add]

A.ANAND
25th April 2010, 11:16 AM
[tscii:362a6a297f]
Music Review – Raavan

a.r.rahman is back again! With that I really mean it. I guess you get the idea how I’ve felt about Raavan’s music so far. Impressed will be an understatement. Especially for someone like me who’s been constantly asking for the best from AR Rahman all the time. Raavan has cleared the rough path Rahman has been going through for quite some time now.

The first time I caught Raavan’s promo on national television I was taken aback. Only someone like Mani Ratnam could title a movie Raavan and go ahead to cast Abhishek Bachchan and Aishwarya Rai in it. The plot still remains a mystery to me and I hope I can keep it that way. Raavan’s teaser makes it a must-see this summer.

Before I jump to the Raavan soundtrack here’s something I’d like to share, I found this on Raavan’s official website. It’s from the director’s note;

Are ten heads better than one? Is there a Ram inside Raavan? And a Raavan inside each of us?

These are the ending lines to the note by Mani Ratnam. It doesn’t give you the plot of the movie but a thought to think upon. I suggest you go through the entire note here.

Coming back to Raavan’s music. AR Rahman, as I earlier said, has composed the soundtrack and Gulzar has penned down the lyrics for all the songs. Prior to getting my hands on the soundtrack I had no idea whatsoever this was a Rahman soundtrack.

Raavan Track Listing

Beera Beera
Behene De
Thok De Killi
Ranjha Ranjha
Khili Re
Kata Kata

Beera Beera

Raavan’s soundtrack opens with Beera Beera. It’s the Rahman-song your ears have been craving for years now. Rahman has done it again. The first thing that struck me with Beera Beera was it’s simplicity, reminding me of the Roja soundtrack. The lyrics from Gulzar further add fuel to the fire. Beera Beera goes with the theme Mani Ratnam’s Raavan carries all over the teaser, the CD covers and the entire soundtrack.

Beera ke dus maathe,
Beera ke sau naam,
Chede jo beera bol…
dhama dham dham dham….

The music has a fresh feel to it. AR Rahman is back baby and with a bang! Somehow I just cannot wait to see how Mani Ratnam has this song on video. Can’t wait!

Behene De

Have you missed the genius? AR Rahman has tried his best to make it up to you all. Behene De is a classic example of that. It’s a trademark Rahman track with a very soothing appeal to it. The first time you hear it you like it, the second time you start humming it and the third time you’re in love with this song. It’s one track with deep music and deeper lyrics. A ten on ten!

Thok De Killi

Now time for some bass. Thok De Killi by Sukhwinder Singh packs a punch. As I quoted Mani Ratnam’s director’s note in the beginning, the lyrics and the movie’s plot have a deeper meaning. Gulzar has done full justice to the soundtrack’s lyrics. You cannot get this one by listening to it just once, I suggest you put this one on repeat mode for at least 3-4 times. It’ll be worth it!

Ranjha Ranjha

Ranjha Ranjha has been picked up straight from the textbook. But then Rahman and Gulzar have made this so special. Rekha Bhardwaj and Javed Ali add icing to the cake. I’m assuming this will be one track featured on Aish-Abhi in the movie. But then they say Abhishek is playing Raavan in the movie. Can’t Raavan fall in love?

Khilli Re

Khilli Re has been sung by Reena Bhardwaj. Now her name made me do some background search to see if she was connected to Vishal Bhardwaj for some odd reason but I was wrong. Reena Bhardwaj is an old AR Rahman flame. She’s done a pretty neat job with Khille Re. A sweet voice indeed.

Kata Kata

The last track of the soundtrack. The end of a journey I wished could last a little longer. Kata Kata is a brilliant track. Rahman’s composition is out of the world. Ila Arun is great as usual.

Kata Kata re bechaara..bakra..
Mana mana ke khair aakhri raat kunwaraa…

So this one is targeted at a bachelor. Reminds me of Rukmani Rukmani from Roja. Another amazing track to fall in love with.

Rahman is back guys and I’ll repeat this line ten times more. Raavan is what AR Rahman stands for, a true masterpiece. Raavan’s music is a tight slap on the face of anyone who thinks he/she can come up with a meaningless idiotic soundtrack. Rahman’s got his biggest fan back, rooting for him, this one deserves a special mention.

You’re the man Rahman!

My rating: 5/5

http://harryjerry.com/music/raavan-review/[/tscii:362a6a297f]

A.ANAND
25th April 2010, 11:23 AM
[tscii:f1fe4f435d]Music Review - Raavan – an addictive evil apetiser

For a while I have realized that listening to A R Rehman’s music albums before watching the films is like reading a novel before seeing its interpretation on screen. For his music creates images in your mind. Powerful images that you take with you to the cinemas. So tough luck, Mr Ratnam, for you have your task cut out with this album. Be it the pompous Beera or the bubbly Ranjha or the naughtyKata Kata, this album is a visual treat, if that makes sense.

The album starts with Beera Beera, aptly used as a teaser to its music launch. One hearing and you know it’s full of promise. The only problem is its too short. 3 minute something – o come on, we need of more that ‘dhama-dham-dham- dham’! Filled with tribal chanting (gibberish?) , sound effects and percussions like inAzeemoshan shehnshah, the album sure starts a high note.

Then comes the subtly written Behne de – its sacrificial lyrics and soulful vocals give the album a mature depth. Next up is Thok de Killi. What's with dilli being the muse in cinema? Speaking of which the song is very reminiscent of Kala Bandar from Delhi 6 in the beginning. (I so hope the films better, though). Comparisons in feel to Mani Ratnams previous number – like dhakkalaga buka from yuva or Gurubhai is unavoidable.

And then comes my favorite number – Ranjha Ranjha – fun, chirpy and well sung. There’s something about Rekha Bhardwajs crooning that gives even ordinary songs a facelift (It was only her voice that made Genda Phool such a rage). Then again, this one aint a simple song – lovely prelude and sugary, mushy lyrics. Love this line –‘ankh ke dosh mein dil bewajah pakada gaya yaaron’.

Khili re is a semiclassical number and for once, the vocals are above the music in this album. And Reema Bhardwaj (Remember the gal who sang yeh rishta kya kehlata hai?) does a brilliant job of it. It’s one of those Rehman songs that can engulf you and take to a dream land - Close your eyes and take walk in the clouds.

The finale of the album, Kata Kata, is a riot of a number. It’s like hearing a more orchestrated (may be slightly over orchestrated? )Rukmani Rukmani. Tongue in cheek lyrics flavoured with rustic vocals of Ila Arun , Sapna Awasthi and a peppy chorus, make this a palpable bachelors party kind of a number.

It was a mammoth task to live up to – to follow Roja, Dil Se, Yuva and Guru . The Rehman-Ratnam duo always manage to go into a reinvention and come up with something brilliant. While is both pointless and unavoidable to equate this with previous Rehman albums, I feel this album has enough to stand on its own merit and needs no comparison. It is a complete album – and will surely top charts!

Rehman has surely delivered a knock out punch. Mr Ratnam, the ball is now in your court!

Reviewed by Kartik K J

http://reviewism.blogspot.com/2010/04/music-review-raavan-addictive-evil.html[/tscii:f1fe4f435d]

A.ANAND
25th April 2010, 11:36 AM
[tscii:5ef534adb6]“Ranjhaa Ranjhaa Kardi Ve Main”-Raavan Music Review

As is always the case with AR Rahman OSTs, was very eagerly awaiting the release of Raavan’s music, and finally…oh god, finally the moment has arrived! The Mani Ratnam-AR Rahman duo always works magic (Roja, Bombay, Dil Se, Saathiya, Yuva, Guru, Iruvar, Thiruda Thiruda, Kannathil Muthamittal), so was looking forward to what they had in store for music listeners with their 10th collaboration—Raavan.

Mustafa Kutoane’s tribal vocals at the beginning of Beera (3.15) certainly do a mighty fine job of grabbing your attention, followed by bongos, AR Rahman and Vijay Prakash’s vocals and more intense, steady percussion arrangements bringing back memories of Tarzan and The Lion King. Keerthi Sagathia provides adequate vocal backings for a brief period. If you thought Yuvvraaj was a fun ride, then you’ll sure enjoy Beera! Tribal sounds, the xylophone, acoustic guitar, rain shaker and percussion arrangements throughout, this is an upbeat track, with a few interesting lines by Gulzar—“Beeraa ke dus maathey,” “Beeraa ke sau naam,” “Janam naa poochaa, Jaat naa pooche, Poocho jo pehchaan beera kaa, Abhimaan hai.” The track gets a bit softer at 2.57, ending with percussion sounds.

Behene De (6.04) is my favorite composition from Raavan. The vocals by Karthik (Behka from Ghajini) and Mohamed Irfan are captivating, the melody is spell-binding and the lyrics are simply awe-inspiring. String instruments, African drums and percussions, xylophone, triangle followed by strings establish a serene environment, quickly transitioning into a serious mood, the electric guitar building intensity in the background. Gulzar’s lyrics remind me of Satrangi Re (Dil Se)…the mad, boundless, obsessive, limitless, uncontrollable love—

Arrey aankh se boond gihraa koi
Chingaari kaa tukdaa jalaa koi
Umeed ko aag lagaa zaraa
Ghan itnaa baras ki galne lagoon
Main paani ke upar tarne lagoon
Behne de mujhe behne de
Behne de ghan ghor ghataa
Behne de paani ki taraah
Sagar mei jaa ghirnaa hai
Behne de nadiyaa ki taraah
Shart lagi marr jaane ki
Jeenaa hai toh pyaar mein
Jaan rakhi hai yaar mein
Pattey se tappakti boond ki aawaaz sunaayi di thi
Nadiyaan mei tapak aur gum ho jaa
Meraa pal pal ang ang bhar diyaa
Tune jaan pe junoon saa kar diyaa
Meraa hai kyaa jo main haar doon?
Jaan teri hai tujh pe vaar doon
Doob gaye jo sunaa hai saare tere dere aate hai
Dil ke chulu mei bechaare dubki yahaan pe khaate hai
Beh jaa, chal todd kinaare ko,
Beh jaa, dhar le majhdhaare ko
Chingaari udaake raakh se
Ek boondh ghiraa ke aankh se
Chalne kaa ishaaraa kar gayaa

The build up and release of tension throughout the composition leaves you attentive throughout—at 2.45 the strings portion is soothing, replaced by the electric guitar again at 3.28. Techno sounds come in at 4.57 along with operatic, faint vocals. It’s nice that AR leaves some room towards the end without any words from 5.15 to 6.04.

Thok De Killi(4.58) makes use of Sukhwinder Singh’s never-diminishing energy and Am’nico also provides nice vocal accompaniment. The electric guitar, Hey’s, and pace of the composition give it a motivational type feel a la Chale Chalo (Lagaan) meets Kaalaa Bandar (Delhi-6). At 4.27 the song suddenly picks up pace BIG TIME, taking a wild turn leaving you breathless ki yeh kyaa hogayaa oye?! The lyrics are sung at such a fast pace it’s a bit hart to keep up with, but “thok de killi,” “baangadd billi,” “mujraa ka nazaraanaa maange,” “udaaye khilli,” “kis mein dum hai ki suraj bujhaaye,” are some phrases which did stand out. Bagpipes are a cool addition. The percussion arrangements and Hey’s at 2.30 bear resemblance to Mayya Mayya (Guru).

Rekha Bhardwaj, Javed Ali and Anuradha Sriram hilaa ke rakh dete hain with Ranjha Ranjha (5.54). Anuradha’s “Yehnnnn” electronic alaap at the beginning with the sound of the wind blowing hooks you to the song from the very start. The electric guitar joins in at .22 followed by Rekha’s rustic voice at .28 into the song, later techno sounds, strings, sitar and a host of other instruments thrown in to the eclectic mix. Lyrics are meaningful, my favorite line being, “dil ke sajde mein magar ishq jhuktaa bhi nahin.”

Ranjhaa Ranjhaa kardi ve main aape ranjhaa hoyi
Ranjhaa ranjhaa saddo ni mainu heer naam toh koi
Ho Ranjhaa Ranjhaa naa kar Heereh, jag badnaami hoye
Patti patti jhar jaave par khushboo chup naa hove

Behgunaah pakkadaa gayaa, yaaro
Ishq mei jakkadaa gayaa, yaaro
Aankh ke dosh mei dil
Bewajaah pakadda gayaa

Aankh se hati nahi, arrey hati nahi
Sote sote boltaa hoon kabhi bolte bolte sotaa hoon
Ek baar aake dekhe toh woh bhi

Jal jaa jal jaa ishq mei jal jaa jale saa kundan haaye
Jalti raakh lagaaye maathe lage toh chandan hoye

Waqt kataa bhi nahi, waqt ruktaa bhi nahi
Dil hai sajde mei magar ishq jhuktaa bhi nahin

Binaa tere saansein kayi khatm naa ho jaaye
Sabhi teri yaadein kahi bhasm naa ho jaaye
Sulaghte koyle ab bujhnaa mushkil hai

Reena Bhardwaj—the woman with the soothing, innocent voice in Meenaxi’s Yeh Rishta—is back with Khili Re (4.11). Now, while Reena’s voice does have a calming effect, and the tabla and flute arrangements are awesome, this really slow-paced, semi-classical, devotional, sans any wild percussion arrangements present in the other Raavan compositions, is going to take some time to appreciate. Personally, I’d rather listen to any of the other compositions instead Lyrics are average, with the exception of the following lines: “Haatho se chunnaa re surilaa badan moraa, “Honton pe rakh ke phoonk baansuriyaa.”

Kata Kata (5.11) is one wild bachelor party song full of chhedd-chaadds bringing together Ila Arun, Sapna Awasthi , Kunal Ganjawalla and supposedly over 500 dancers! There is a madness, wildness and subtle darkness to this playful pre-wedding composition. The bugles at the beginning awaken everyone to an emergency, a crisis, something going amiss followed by drums. What turmoil has arrived, you ask? Ek aur gayaa kaam se…bole toh, dulhaa miyaan is getting married!

Kataa kataa bechaaraa bakaraa
Kataa kataa bechaaraa
Manaa le manaa le khair manaa le
Aakhri raat kunwaraa
Dulhe miyaa dulhe miyaa dand-vand
Gaya gayaa ek aur gayaa

The composition gets intense at 3.40 and even faster at 3.50 full of Kunaal’s mad laughter and Ila’s rustic “dhin dhin thaddak dhin.” The voices and instruments blend together making the overall sound, not words, of utmost importance.

The songs are, indeed, superbly composed, and are for the most part packed with loads and loads of energy and intensity. Four out of the six tracks conjure a tribal setting through the use of chanting and African percussion instruments, yet they are also fused from time to time with strings, the electric guitar, and techno sounds. There is a lot of repetition of a word (Beeraa, Kataa Kataa) or particular phrases (Ranjha Ranjha, Behne De) throughout most of the songs, too, similar to Paa’s compositions (i.e. Muddi Muddi).

A folk-style composition (Ranjha Ranjha), a pre-wedding song (Kata Kata), a classical track (Khili Re), a Sufi-style gorgeous composition (Behne De), a zesty Punjabi style motivational number (Thok De Killi), and a tribal style track (Beera), Raavan is rich in its variety of songs. Do check it out, and check it out asap!

http://passionforcinema.com/ranjhaa-ranjhaa-kardi-ve-main-raavan-music-review/[/tscii:5ef534adb6]

shocker
25th April 2010, 03:13 PM
Looks like I am the only one who is less than impressed by Ravan music!
Or is everyone now at the stage where they believe anything by AR must be amazing and are too hesitant to criticise?

Mahen
25th April 2010, 03:22 PM
Or is everyone now at the stage where they believe anything by AR must be amazing and are too hesitant to criticise?

Not really..Critics did not rave about the music of Yuva and Guru at that time..IMO,Raavan is better than yuva and Guru(comparing hindi to hindi only)...

Ravanan is gona rock..trust me

shocker
25th April 2010, 04:05 PM
Beera is the only track that is a step forward in my opinion. Yuva was ground breaking in terms of technology and Guru was ground breaking in terms of classic melody and singers.
I would say Ravan is a step back from Guru...
I hope as you say, that Ravanan is going to be amazing.

A.ANAND
25th April 2010, 05:26 PM
looks like most of people tamil version ravana-ikkuthan romba peru wait panni kittu irukangga pola! :D [including me]hindi version kekka kudathu innu sabathame panni thangga!

but hindi version all ready rocking! :thumbsup: :D

A.ANAND
25th April 2010, 05:30 PM
Raavan second promo out!

http://broadband.glamsham.com/raavan/behne-de-0100-min-video_03272fa4f.html

shocker
25th April 2010, 05:57 PM
That promo is nice, the music works really well there.

lancelot
25th April 2010, 06:43 PM
someone give me the link to download the songs please :)

when is the Tamil album coming out guys?

A.ANAND
25th April 2010, 06:56 PM
Raavan
Music: A. R. Rahman
Lyrics: Gulzar

Rating: 9 on 10

Beera

Vocals: Vijay Prakash, Mustafa Kutoane

Its the most appealing track in the album and already an instant hit from the trailers...

It describes the hero of the movie 'Raavan', 'Beera' or as Gulzaar calls one with 'dus maathe'

Starts on an awesome note and continues on constant beats added with rehmaan's african fusion...

Reminds me of Omkara's title track...Carry the same lyrical prowess by Maestro Gulzaar..

Vijay Prakash has substituted Sukhvinder with his power punched voice...

Thok de Killi

Vocals: Sukhwinder Singh, Am'Nico

This is again a powerful track with some scintillating vocals by Sukhwinder.. .

Very youthful and gutsy song... It is filled with lots of passion and the 'do or die' philosophy like 'Chale Chalo' of Lagaan...

Flavour of music reminds of dhakka laga bukka type yuva enthusiasm and this one moves us inside out...

Love Gulzaar for using phrases like bhakad billi...uda de gilli...udaye khilli...

Awesome work by him...

Ranjha Ranjha

Vocals: Rekha Bhardwaj, Javed Ali

This is Rehman's musical masterpiece with varied instruments at work...

It is surely flawless and glues you to its magic...

Gulzaar opens up his kitty of words.He comes up with words like heer-ranjha, kundan-chandan etc and mixes up pretty well...

Javed and Rekha's duet ends up as another number for Rekha to add in her feather...

Rekha's rendition reminds her style as in Namak Ishq ka of Omkara....

Behne De

Vocals: Karthik,Mohammed Irfan

A beautiful song where Gulzaar comes up with some motivational lines ...

W8ing eagerly for the movie where it will fit in..

Karthik is given full scope to justify his vocals with clarity which he indeed does beautifully. ..

Emotion resembles songs like 'Banjar hai sab banjar hai' of Saathiya or 'Mujhe Rang de' of Legend of Bhagat Singh...

Khili Re... Raat Ki Raani

Vocals: Reena Bhardwaj

Its like a fresh bunch of flowers on a beautiful girl's hair...

Song blossoms up with Gulzaar's poetic words like Khili,Kohra, baasuriya. ..
It is set in the Meera-Krishna devotional mood...
Its set on a slow pace and seems like rehman's gift to Reena bhardwaj and she leaves us serene and calm indeed..

It reminds the same divinity as in 'Yeh rishta kya kehlata hai' of Meenakshi sung by Reena...

Kata Kata

Vocals: Ila Arun, Sapna Awasthi, Kunal Ganjawala

It sounds like wedding song sung by friends teasing the grooom...
Gulzaar adds to the fun mood with words like bechara,saas- sasura,jeth- jethani,joru- kanya-dulhe- miya...
Mood wise its a very happening song with lots of percussion used..

Rehman keeps the control and for this song and lots will depend on how well it gels into the movie...

Rehmaan's style of music takes its own time to grow on you ...

And please don't compare it with early Mani-Rehmaan works as every movie album should gel with the movie's theme...And this one is a take on Raavan of Ramayan, a man with conflicts of good and evil and is set in a backdrop of vast jungle...

So please don't expect a Tere bina beswadi ratiya or Saathiya or Tu hi re as Raavan is not about romance...Or any light mood peppy nos. like Kabhi Kabhi Aditi...

But you can find a powerfull Beera Beera and the effervescent Ranjha with the puristic Khili Re to leave you mesmerizing. ..

http://manishjoseph.blogspot.com/2010/04/raavan-music-review.html

A.ANAND
25th April 2010, 06:58 PM
[tscii:188d151151]Thamarai.com Reviews Raavan Music

AR Rahman and Mani Ratnam together gave us epic music for Roja, Bombay, Dil Se (Uyire) and Saathiya (Alaipayuthey in Tamil), and when they teamed up with lyricist Gulzar, they came out with Dil Se and more recently, Guru. Needless to say, they were all amazing albums, and so I was left wondering whether the music for their latest venture, "Raavan" (to be released simultaneously as "Raavanan" in Tamil) would be able to rival these classic soundtracks. How wrong I was to doubt AR Rahman, even for a second? The Raavan OST is just as good as, if not better than the benchmarks the music director had left for himself in previous years. The Raavan soundtrack is catchy, upbeat and at times haunting, and each song leaves an impact on the listener, in my opinion.

Opening with an almost Lion King-esque African-style chant by newcomer Mustafa Kutaone, "Beera Beera" is an upbeat number with powerful African beats that are a joy to listen to. The lyrics "Beera ka dus maathe, Beera ka sau naam" (Beera has ten heads, Beera has a hundred names) indicate that this will be the lead character's introduction song, and I can't think of a better way to introduce the untamed Beera (Raavan), than with this pride-filled, testosterone- fuelled number! Rahman's effortless fusion of African drums with a distinctly ethnic melody has culminated in this track; an energetic piece that manages not to overwhelm the listener with too-heavy beats or too-deep lyrics; they mainly chant "Beera" throughout! With its folksy feel, this is a song that would typically be handed to somebody like Shankar Mahadevan or Sukhwinder Singh. Instead, Vijay Prakash has been given the lead vocals. He may not have the coarse voice that you'd think this song would require, but he manages to render the song in a wonderfully spirited manner without being too forceful.

The next song is "Behene De", and this song practically has AR Rahman tattooed all over it. It reminds me a great deal (in a good way) of "Satrangi Re" from Dil Se. They both have a similar structure to them: a simple, repetitive melody that is supplemented by complementary (but far from overpowering) backing instrumentals. Behene De, however, has a far more rocky feel to it when compared to Satrangi Re. The uncomplicated melody does not diminish this track in any way at all; it simply allows the lyrics to take a lead role here, because they truly are touching lyrics. "Behene De" loosely translates as "Let me flow freely" and thus indicates a sense of imprisonment and a desperate need for freedom. Incidentally, Gulzar also wrote the lyrics for Satrangi Re, and this same feeling of yearning is brought to the fore with his lyrics for Behene De. Karthik's vocals are soul stirring; you can almost feel the character's anguish through his voice.

Next comes "Thok De Khili", with the rustic vocals of Sukhwinder Singh that this sort of soundtrack would be incomplete without. This song is uplifting in a sort of prepare-yourself- for-battle way; it resembles Azeem-O-Shahenshah from Jodhaa Akbar in some aspects, with its heavy beat and passionate assertions of the opening lines being repeated throughout. The main difference between the two however, is that where Azeem-O-Shahenshah is beat-heavy, Thok De Khili places its emphasis on the music, making it a very orchestra-oriented piece. It is a vastly instrument-heavy composition, but this only adds to the war-like feel of the song without overshadowing Gulzar's powerful lyrics. 

I'm sure many will agree with me when I say that the beautiful song "Ranjha Ranjha" is one that stands out the most in this album. Despite having classical, almost Sufi-ish ties in its melody, the beat is distinctly modern. Here Rahman has exhibited that it is possible to fuse old with new without tainting the beauty of the melody. The song opens with Anuradha Sriram's electronically enhanced (not a bad thing) humming, that features at regular intervals throughout, and playing a key role in maintaing the flow between each part of the song. The husky tones of Rekha Bhardwaj, and Javed Ali's more polished yet unassuming singing totally contrast each other, but still the vocals are stunning to say the least. The opening lines of the song come from a Punjabi poem by Sufi poet Baba Bulleh Shah. The first line translates as "By repeating his name (Ranjha), I myself have become Ranjha", and lyricist Gulzar has continued this poem with his own lyrics but has still maintained a meaningful and romantic feeling. Pairing these lyrics with Rahman's incredible instrumental arrangement for this track would result in a beautiful piece of music in itself, but Rekha Bhardwaj's vocals take it to a whole new level. Even the way she sings just two words "Ranjha Ranjha", overflows with the passion of a young lovestruck girl who can't take her mind off the love of her life.

Next comes the mellow composition ¨C Khili Re ¨C with the sweet voice of British Asian singer Reena Bhardwaj, who sang Yeh Rishta in Meenaxi and it's Tamil version in Sakkarakatti and is a regular singer on Nitin Sawhney's work too (note that she is not Rekha Bhardwaj from the previous track). Close your eyes and listen to this; you'll almost feel like you're walking on air, because that's how light and dreamlike the music is for this one. It has an almost devotional feel to it, and though it may not strike a chord with those who are fans of the more beat-oriented songs, it is a gorgeous track nonetheless. The instrumental is uncomplicated ¨C primarily a Tabla, strings and a flute ¨C and thus the vocals and lyrics are given predominance here, and rightly so! Reena Bhardwaj has done a fantastic job with this one.

The final track featured on the album is "Kata Kata" ¨C another upbeat number. It starts off super-catchy; the bugles at the start certainly make you sit up and listen. It's a fun track ¨C about a groom-to-be being teased about his last day of being a bachelor ¨C and the music is just as fun. Ila Arun, Sapna Awasthi and Kunal Ganjawala provide energetic vocals from start to finish. This is surprising as the song gets faster and faster as it goes on, and yet these vocalists don't seem to run out of steam! Probably not one of my favourite tracks; it is similar to the opening track Beera Beera, but to me, the uplifting raise-your-spirits sort of feeling was better portrayed in the opener. It is said to have been picturised with 500 dancers, so it could have a major impact on the big screen.

I'm not going to lie, the Raavan soundtrack is certainly unconventional when compared to many of the albums that have been released recently. It doesn't consist of the heavy basslines and bi-lingual lyrics that seem to be the trend of late. Neither is it a purely classical/folk- based album. Rahman has struck a perfect balance between traditional and modern with this soundtrack, and Gulzar's fantastic lyrics add a new dimension to each track. If I had to pick a favourite, Ranjha Ranjha wins hands down, can't get enough of it, but I wouldn't say no to having the entire album on repeat for a few hours!

[/tscii:188d151151]

shocker
25th April 2010, 06:58 PM
http://www.raaga.com/channels/hindi/album/H003250.html

shocker
25th April 2010, 07:04 PM
And you can download here:
http://itunes.apple.com/us/album/raavan/id369233385

SVN
25th April 2010, 07:26 PM
Behne De gave me a sense of de ja vu (Satrangi re from Dil Se)... from orchestration to melody.. But Thok De Killi is awesome! I have been playing it over and over again. What an energy!

sha
25th April 2010, 10:35 PM
hmmm Dilli 6 > Ravan ... ARR set a standard with dilli 6 ,and now every recent albums will be compared with that.

from more than 20 times over the entire album my picks

1- Thok Di Killi
2 -Behene De
3- Beera
4- Ranjha Ranjha

forget Khili Re , nothing in it,, and waiting for Kata Kata in tamil .

shocker
26th April 2010, 01:25 AM
Many AR albums>Ravan

Some of the interludes are class though.

A.ANAND
26th April 2010, 06:47 AM
Rahman "Beera" Sir Creates Magic Again

EXPECTATIONS - Music Maestro A.R. Rahman After A Long Period, so expectations were very high. The first teaser had shown the
music release date, so fingers were crossed till then. The famous Mani Ratnam-A.R.rahman Jodi which gave us blockbuster music albums like "Guru", "Dil Se" & "Bombay" are composing Music for "Raavan" now and as the film is a bit hatke genred, the music should be hatke as well. We have Heard "Beera" and liked it very much. Now let's see the rest.

SONGS -

1.BEERA - Perfect Theme Song For Raavan Himself. The word describe about Raavan's physic and his characteristics like "Beera ke dus maathe, Beera ke Sau Daant" & "Chere jo Beera Ko, Dama Dam Dam Dam". Musics in the middle of the song are very
different and Rahman Sir Style. Vijay Prakash, Mustafa Kutaone have sung this song very well and the composition is
fantastic. Additional Vocals by Keerthi sagathia are also to be noticed. Allover, this song is a blaster.

2.BEHENE DE - Behka Boy Karthik in anticipation with Mohamed Irfan takes over this track smoothly and trully saying that this song is beautified by Gulzar sir's lyrics. "Behene De Mujhe Behene De" Part reminds us about "Satrangi" from the movie "Dil Se". Allover, its a good track and recommended.

3.THOK DE KILLI - Award Winning "Jai Ho" Singer Sukhwinder Singh & Am'nico sing together another revolutionary track by A.R Rahman & Why am I saying this song Revolutionary, everyone will understand after listening the lyrics. But the composition is partly similar to "Hey Kaala Bandar" from The Movie "Delhi 6". Sukhwinder Singh's awesome singing to the music and mesmerising lyrics by Gulzar Sir combined "THOK DE KILLI" is a very powerful track and strictly recommended.

4.RANJHA RANJHA - Famous GENDA PHOOL singer Rekha Bhardwaj & Javed Ali come together for this Socialism themed Romantic Number. The Part "Patti Paati Jhar Jaaye Par Khusboo Chup Na Hoye" is the best part of lyrics in the whole song. Javed Ali mesmerises us by his mild singing and Rekha Bhardwaj carries out the female part as well. The Lyrics describe on how Social awareness takes part on Romance. Reaaly, Hail Gulzar Sir's Lyrics!

5.KHILI RE - A Sweet & Mild Track By Reena Bhardwaj, which creates a cool atomsphere. Very well Composition by Rahman Sir & Cute Lyrics by Gulzar Sir are the songs creators. This track reminds us about "Yeh Haseen Waadiya". Recommended

6.KATA KATA - Finally comes a track which I can't recommend. Kunal Ganjawala, Ila Arun & Sapna Awasthi sing this track & The starting sounds nearly similar to "Azeem-O-Shaan Shehansha" but the track is not as good as that one.

VERDICT - 5 Tracks are excellent out of 6, this is indeed a very great score. When there's Rahman Sir, no need to think about the quality and that's proved again by RAAVAN. So, Mani-Rahman Magic Creates History Again & I'm sure this album's gonna Rock The Nation.

RECOMMENDED - BEERA, BEHENE DE, THOK DE KILLI, RANJHA RANJHA, KHILI RE.

RATING - 4/5

http://www.gomolo.in/Movie/MovieMusicReviewUser.aspx?mid=21658&murID=118891

A.ANAND
26th April 2010, 08:32 AM
[tscii:9bc605a54a]
Rahman¡¯s midnight melody

The composer worked overnight to record a special song; he performed it live, much to Mani Ratnam¡¯s delight

By Mauli Singh
Posted On Monday, April 26, 2010 at 04:28:58 AM

At the recent music release of Raavan, everybody was taken in by a soulful rendition of a song, Jaa re udd jaa re, by AR Rahman.

Penned by fellow Oscar winner Gulzar, most of the audience present for the music release of Raavan assumed it was part of the CD given out that evening - but it wasn¡¯t. Even Mani Ratnam wasn¡¯t aware that Rahman would be singing the song.

Gulzar with Rahman at the music release of Raavan (Pic: Nilesh wairkar)

A source from the unit reveals, ¡°The song that Rahman performed live was an absolutely last minute inclusion. Rahman and Mani share a special bond that goes beyond their professional association. Rahman has given music for all of Mani¡¯s films and even sung in a couple like Dil Se and Guru. Mani was very keen to have Rahman sing in Raavan.¡± Which he did, eventually.

But the song itself hadn¡¯t been set to music. So Rahman burnt the midnight oil to give Mani a musical surprise. The night before the launch, Rahman closeted himself in his Mumbai studio and worked through the night to compose the song. In the wee hours, he recorded it in his voice.

The source adds that the final CD of the track did not contain the song, and the entire team of Raavan, including director Mani Ratnam, heard it for the first time at the launch. The song may be included at a later stage.

[/tscii:9bc605a54a]

A.ANAND
26th April 2010, 08:34 AM
10 things that make 'Raavan' a landmark albumMonday, 26 April, 2010 10:09 AM

Hi all,

You may argue its a bit too early to state the album as a landmark,
but in my mind there is no doubt about it.

Here we go:

1. First and foremost reason, with Raavan ARR has returned to his old days and ways; Hard music, experimental beats, free flow of melody and so forth. Its similar to the way Sachin Tendulkar has returned to the way he used to bat in early years of his career.

2. Each and every song has potential to be a big hit. By saying that I don't mean its because they are catchy and crowd pleaser (like JTYJN), its because they are so raw, energetic and unique that even a dumb listener will be moved while listening.

3. Third big reason is the attention to detail. Everyone knows the fact that each and every ARR song has great attention to detail, all the small instruments are always at perfect place and so forth. However, some of you will agree with me that in Raavan, ARR has begun where he stops in other recent songs. Last 2 albums I can think of, which had such great attention to detail, were Meenaxi and Taal.

4. Forth reason is the creative freedom taken in each and every song. Believe me guys, how many composers can create a like song like Beera and then experiment this way with it. Another example is 'Ranjha ranjha, how different are the beats from the melody and mood of the song.

5. Another big reasons is that this album is DIFFERENT in different ways. singer selection is different, even Sukhwinder sings differently in 'Thok de killi'. The music is far different than what's popular theses days. Its like cool breeze that you need on a hot summer day in desert.

6. Nothing is overdone. There is no effort visible to make any of the songs a chart buster. ARR has not compromised anything at all with quality of album and has delivered what he wanted, at least i think so. I think it is mainly because its Mani Sir's movie and ARR feel like at home.

7. The album arouses the thirst for more in the listener. Those guitars in every song (esp. Thok de killi) leave you wanting for more while still giving you imense pleasure.

8. In Raavan, ARR does it again what he does best i.e. Fusion. Take example of 'Katta katta, its fusion of heavy beats, sounth Indian style melody, Rajasthani folk music.

9. Raavan comes as a complete combo of all elements. Superb lyrics, great singing performances, good sound quality, beautiful music arrangement and so forth. Everything seems to have gone right for the album.

10. You write it.

Pravinder.

source :arryg

Yathu
26th April 2010, 04:49 PM
My picks at the moment, after some more listens:

1. Thok de killi - Loving it! The first interlude. The sudden tempo acceleration at the end. Exhilarating!
2. Killi re - especially after the tabla kicks in - wow! Can't wait for Shreya G's Tamil version.
3. Behene de - Beautiful. I've got Aish in slow mo associated with this song after seeing the second promo. It's made it all the more effective. :D

Still not really connecting with Ranjha Ranjha. Apart from the Ranjha Ranjha chorus, the rest of it seems a bit pedestrian (at the moment anyway).

Ow and the Tamil track list has a seventh track called Madhuvanam by Asha Bhonsle & Chitra Sivaraman. I think there was a seventh track listed before the Hindi version was released too (Madhuban Chor - Asha Bhonsle, Chitra Sivaraman). What happened to that song? :?

mahen01
26th April 2010, 06:31 PM
Probably a bit song

rvsarna
26th April 2010, 07:45 PM
i LOVEEEEEEEEEEE Ranjha Ranjha!!!!!!!!!!
WAT A SONG!!!!!
SUPERB!!!!!!!!!!!

Ramakrishna
26th April 2010, 10:57 PM
The additional song is a stunner...Hope they include it in the tamil version.

VinodKumar's
27th April 2010, 12:44 AM

Not really..Critics did not rave about the music of Yuva and Guru at that time..IMO,Raavan is better than yuva and Guru(comparing hindi to hindi only)...

Ravanan is gona rock..trust me

If it is better than Guru and as good as Ayutha ezhuthu i will be :happydance: :happydance:

Waiting for Tamizh version. Hindi puriyaathu. Lyrics theriyama paatu ketka istam illa :(

Scale
27th April 2010, 11:09 AM
Yuva is youthful, peppy, oriented. I would really not compare with Guru or Raavan. AP is bars ahead which the combo may not chance upon, surpassing is impossible!

Guru has a great variety with instantly catchy, soothing melodies could have been on the classic shelf (If Baazi Laga is barred). Mayya Mayya is ground-breaking stuff even for Turkey!

Raavan- Totally an alien/raavan stuff. Its too early to predict and to get a better understanding the beast/raavanan haven't come out. From hindi version its exotic, complex & lots of intricacies. Doesn't follow a normal pattern and every song is different. Except Killi Re/Beera nothing have that instantly catchy feel though Behne de is breaking my backbone everytime I listen the killer prelude & the interlude is never heard ARR stuff. All others are potential chartbusters. Raanjha Raanjha is marvelous! With a good theme & better execution this may surpass Yuva/Guru or go as a epic failure.

ARR-Mani I always wish for their success and this time for Vikram, bollywood should know him.

viraajan
27th April 2010, 11:18 AM
First I liked Khaile Re and Ranja very much. Now I'm addicted to Behne De and Katta.

That's a specialty of AR Rahman. Your favorite number keeps changing :lol: Over a period of time, if you look back, you would have loved all the songs in the album!

A.ANAND
27th April 2010, 11:30 AM
maybe is too early to say ravan album is one of the best of mani and arr combo.but athan unmai naan ithuvarai intha album kettavaraikum!

in ravan, thalaivar using lot of new sound and instrument esply,in behne song[prelude] he use malay traditional instrument its call 'gambelang'!he handle very beatifull with this song!wooooow! :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy:

A.ANAND
27th April 2010, 11:34 AM
Raavan's music is exquisite

You can blindly count on some combinations to never fail.

The tuning between filmmaker Mani Ratnam and master composer A R Rahman [ Images ] is one of them. The curiously titled Raavan is their tenth collaboration since Roja [ Images ] and the vivacity of this merger has neither lost its ardor nor its willingness to explore.

Said to draw contemporary parallels from the great Indian mythological epic, Ramayana [ Images ], Ratnam's eagerly-awaited offering features Abhishek Bachchan, Aishwarya Rai Bachchan [ Images ] and Vikram as its lead players. And if the soundtrack, soaked in Gulzar's [ Images ] penetrating imagination, is anything to go by, Raavan is going to be a mostly intriguing experience.

Never to give into the comfort zone trap, Rahman delivers a sound mix of zingy rusticity and zealous verve. Inspired by the calypso-flavoured wilds of Africa against the trumpeting dramatics of desi folk tunes, the thumping beats of Beera reiterate just that. Winsome from the word go, Beera's effectiveness is further escalated through the booming fervour of Vijay Prakash and Mustafa Kutoane with some piquant dressing of Keerthi Sagathia's piercing huskiness.

The frothiness of this ensemble makes an instant connect with the listener. It takes a while to get off the loop before you want to get on with the rest of the album. Says a lot about Beera, right?

From upbeat to intense, Raavan's mood changes gears with Karthik's blazing rendition of Behne de. And while Rahman builds a suitably thunderous aura to match the fierce passions of Gulzar's words, this is essentially a performance-oriented creation. At times reminiscent of Sonu Nigam's [ Images ] feverish chant in Dil Se's Satrangi re, though much restrained, Karthik delivers a sonorous punch.

Upbeat returns with a bang, quite literally with Sukhwinder Singh [ Images ] and Am'nico's strapping execution of the rhythmic rhyme play, Thok de killi. Gulzar's rare brand of wizardry concocts some heady visuals with nuggets like Raat ka maal, raaton ne loota. Chaand taaron ke guche udaye. Din nikalna tha. Apna bhi nikla. Kismein dum hai ke suraj bujhaye?' There's enough drama, drum and drive in the stalwart Killi to please all and sundry. Needless to say, it does.

Following the chartbuster Killi, Rahman aims to impress with Rekha [ Images ] Bharadwaj and Javed Ali's ravishing, romantic overtures in Ranjha Ranjha. Yet again, Gulzar scoops out some gems from his treasure of insight and invention to assemble a precious poem of glorious attachment and immortal love. A free-wheeling melody embellished with exotic arrangement, Ranjha flaunts its breezy presence and marriage of vibrant vocals with such poise, which is both alluring and inspiring. Remember her delicate whispers in Meenaxi [ Images ]'s Yeh rishta kya kehlata hai Khili re?

Reena Bhardwaj returns to her dainty roots with the leisurely, amorous and soft strains of Khili re. Khili's texture brings back memories of Rahman's glass-like lullaby Jaa ri jaa (Duniya Dilwalon Ki). Despite it's fragile disposition, this tender piece makes sure its blithe presence doesn't go unnoticed in an album filled with extrovert songs.

Post Beera, the sound of bigul makes another sprightly appearance, this time to rejoice in the celebratory and playful notes of Kata kata. Personifying the bridegroom to a scapegoat, Kata features the collective huskiness of ethnic specialists Ila Arun, Sapna Awasthi along with Kunal Ganjawala. Its teasing and raunchy undertones and walloping beats are akin to Roja's Rukmini in spirit but devise a tangy, earthy aroma unique to it alone. That's the beauty of Raavan.

Rahman stays true to the element of Ratnam's vision as there's never any attempt to show off or introduce unnecessary elements. The outcome is exquisite. Or should I say expected.

Feel free to send in your feedback as well.

Rediff Rating: 4/5

viraajan
27th April 2010, 11:34 AM
When i heard Khili re song, i wanted to hear it in tamil with Shreya's voice.

Just heard that Shreya has sung the tamil version of "Khili Re'. :redjump: :bluejump: Hope it is true!

An apt song for her honey sweet voice. :bow:

Just cannot wait for Tamil version. Release it soon :x

Scale
27th April 2010, 11:48 AM
anand,

correcta type pannungha gambelang? that could be a xylophone or any such wooden mallet percussion instrument (wiki)

That 0.50 secs of prelude is a musical mystery, terrific! :notworthy:

A.ANAND
27th April 2010, 12:27 PM
anand,

correcta type pannungha gambelang? that could be a xylophone or any such wooden mallet percussion instrument (wiki)

enakku therjavaraikum 'gambelang'innuhan solluvangga!ethukkum nalaiku office-la kettu sollren.lots of malay friends irukangga! :D

A.ANAND
27th April 2010, 12:36 PM
When i heard Khili re song, i wanted to hear it in tamil with Shreya's voice.

Just heard that Shreya has sung the tamil version of "Khili Re'. :redjump: :bluejump: Hope it is true!

An apt song for her honey sweet voice. :bow:

Just cannot wait for Tamil version. Release it soon :x

naanum intha song tamil version-la shreya voice-sukkuthan wait pannren!what a song!tabla poonthu villayaduthu :happydance: :happydance:

lancelot
27th April 2010, 12:42 PM
what is this 0.50 secs you talk about? be more specific please so that i also can enjoy what you have :)

SoftSword
27th April 2010, 01:03 PM
links

littlemaster1982
27th April 2010, 01:05 PM
what is this 0.50 secs you talk about? be more specific please so that i also can enjoy what you have :)

Prelude of 'Behne De.'

lancelot
27th April 2010, 01:11 PM
yes yes, the song got even better when i found out what instrument was playing in the Prelude! Awesome!

Scale
27th April 2010, 01:14 PM
Yeah, Now I know why this is used in the teaser!

A.ANAND
27th April 2010, 02:02 PM
Ranjha Ranjha - Michael Jackson

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kLooG8CDKQg&feature=player_embedded#at=16

What if Michael Jackson was alive ? and had danced on Ranjha Ranjha ... How would it look ? Let's See !

Video Edited by Me ( A.R.Rajib )

DONT Upload this video to anywhere !!

-arryg

music man
27th April 2010, 02:13 PM
anand,

enakku therjavaraikum 'gambelang'innuhan solluvangga!ethukkum nalaiku office-la kettu sollren.lots of malay friends irukangga! :D

Anand Sir!! I have not heard the songs properly...3 songs are hit material while the remaining will take some time to grow on...in my IMHO...The I think you are referring to the instrument called "gamelan"...??? Correct ah??? Anyway I will listen to the song tonight and clarify this....

A.ANAND
27th April 2010, 02:24 PM
MM sir, neenga sonnathu-than sari!its 'gamelan' :thumbsup:

eppadi kandu pudichingga sir??r u from malaysia?? :roll:

SoftSword
27th April 2010, 02:29 PM
links pls.....................................

ajaybaskar
27th April 2010, 02:32 PM
what link?

A.ANAND
27th April 2010, 02:45 PM
what link?

ravan album link!kodutachu.

A.ANAND
27th April 2010, 02:46 PM
[tscii:13d53ce368]Rahman’s surprise for Mani Ratnam
- Harshita Kohli

Rahman’s surprise for Mani RatnamMany directors who have worked with A R Rahman will bear testimony that the musical maestro is famous for turning around the music quite close to the deadline! But this time Rahman really kept things for the last minute.

We hear that the song that Rahman performed live on Saturday night (24 April, 2010) at the music launch of Raavan was an absolutely last minute inclusion. The song which isn’t even a part of the album that hit the stores yesterday (26 April, 2010), was a complete surprise for all present.

The song which Rahman performed with Gulzar hadn’t been set to music but trust the musical magician to turn things around. The night before the launch, Rahman closeted himself in his Mumbai studio and worked through the night to compose the song. In the wee hours, he recorded it in his voice!

Director Mani Ratnam heard it for the first time at the launch.

http://www.planetradiocity.com/musicreporter/celebrity-news-story.php?newsid=296&title=Rahman%E2%80%99s%20surprise%20for%20Mani%20R atnam[/tscii:13d53ce368]

jinju
27th April 2010, 03:01 PM
[tscii:8bbe2bf3a4]Rahman’s surprise for Mani Ratnam
- Harshita Kohli

Rahman’s surprise for Mani RatnamMany directors who have worked with A R Rahman will bear testimony that the musical maestro is famous for turning around the music quite close to the deadline! But this time Rahman really kept things for the last minute.

We hear that the song that Rahman performed live on Saturday night (24 April, 2010) at the music launch of Raavan was an absolutely last minute inclusion. The song which isn’t even a part of the album that hit the stores yesterday (26 April, 2010), was a complete surprise for all present.

The song which Rahman performed with Gulzar hadn’t been set to music but trust the musical magician to turn things around. The night before the launch, Rahman closeted himself in his Mumbai studio and worked through the night to compose the song. In the wee hours, he recorded it in his voice!

Director Mani Ratnam heard it for the first time at the launch.

http://www.planetradiocity.com/musicreporter/celebrity-news-story.php?newsid=296&title=Rahman%E2%80%99s%20surprise%20for%20Mani%20R atnam[/tscii:8bbe2bf3a4]

:shock: :shock: :shock:

thalaivaaaa :notworthy:

vibinrajmani
27th April 2010, 04:03 PM
Any news on the Tamil version? :(

lancelot
27th April 2010, 04:10 PM
Any news on the Tamil version? :(

i called up the local music store and they said that the Tamil album will be out only on the 10th of May :( am not sure if he meant the Release or its availability in Sri Lanka, i hope its the latter.

vibinrajmani
27th April 2010, 04:25 PM
Not good news :( :(

mahen01
27th April 2010, 05:53 PM
Oh well.. I lost all hopes.. Tamil version is getting delayed and delayed. I heard the album on Raaga.. Its not even closer to VTV.. thank god! I dont buy dubbed album. If Tamil version is going to get delayed so much then Probably I will just download the songs when Tamil version release.. Wont buy the cd. Go to hell maniratnam...

littlemaster1982
27th April 2010, 05:56 PM
Cool down Mahen. There may be various reasons for the delay. Last I heard, Tamil version is releasing on Apr 30th.

mahen01
27th April 2010, 06:08 PM
Last I heard is they are waiting for it to screen it in Srilanka film festival. Bachan family is invited personely by by Sri Lankan president. Probably they are are waiting for that.
Well that alone is enough to skip this movie and watch it in pirate only...

ajaybaskar
27th April 2010, 06:37 PM
Mani will not host the premiere in Srilanka, if sources are to be believed. Audio to hit the stores on 30th april as informed by the MW guys. Telugu version will be released on the same date.

lancelot
27th April 2010, 07:19 PM
Amithab Buchan is in Sri Lanka in relation to Sri Lanka hosting the Filmfair Awards or something. Nothing to do with a film festival. Mani will not premier the movie in SL.

Hopefully the tamil album will be out on the 30th.

May be the delay is because they want to include that late composition that A R Rahman did as a surprise for Mani?

Mahen
27th April 2010, 07:35 PM
Amithab Buchan is in Sri Lanka in relation to Sri Lanka hosting the Filmfair Awards or something. Nothing to do with a film festival. Mani will not premier the movie in SL.

Hopefully the tamil album will be out on the 30th.

May be the delay is because they want to include that late composition that A R Rahman did as a surprise for Mani?

That would be great...If ARR really does that :notworthy: :notworthy:

music man
27th April 2010, 08:15 PM
MM sir, neenga sonnathu-than sari!its 'gamelan' :thumbsup:

eppadi kandu pudichingga sir??r u from malaysia?? :roll:

Illa Anand Sir!! I am from Chennai...Keyboard konjam vaasipen...Athanaala gamelan ah irukkum nu msg pannen...I will listen to it again...Ennaku ennamo theriyala...songs nalla thaan irukka maadhiri irukku..but innum konjam better ah vandhurukalaamonu thonudhu.... :roll:

A.ANAND
27th April 2010, 08:34 PM
Apunkachoice Reviews Raavan's Music - Sweeps you Away

Sweeps you away - The Raavan Music Review
By Usha Lakra
Rating: 4/5

2010 has not been much wealthy as far as music albums are concerned which, as a whole can become treasures to keep. Yes,"Beat! beat! drums! Blow! bugles! blow! Through the windows - through doors - burst like a ruthless force." These powerful lines by Walt Whitman are just not enough to describe the music of Raavan. The songs have tunes and rhythm by A R Rahman and soulful words by Gulzar. Stitching it all together is the master craftsman Mani Ratnam, the film's director. So, is the killer troika handing us a musical bazooka again?

Brace up for a musical explosion with the first song of the album, Beera, as congo beats welcome you to the world of the antagonist Beera (Abhishek Bachchan), the mighty and mysterious one who's described as having ten heads and hundred names. The track, in the honour of Raavan, is the most intriguing composition of the lot, sung by the talented Vijay Prakash, Mustafa Kutoane, while additional vocals that add drama to the track are by Keerthi Sagathia. The song also enthralls you with its fusion of Indian and afro music.

Behne De continues the haunting, captivating mood of `Raavan'. But when the song starts, it clearly reminds one of the famous Jaane Tu Meri Kya Hai number from the movie Jaane Tu Ya Jaane Na. The situational track is somber and serious, and the feelings expressed as poignant as painful.

Gulzar's poetic genius again shines through in this song. Thok De Killi, Bhagad Billi, sung by Sukhwinder Singh, does impress you with its loud, quasi rustic and quasi tribal music, but is not a hit in the offing.

There is something inexplicable about the track Ranjha Ranjha belted out efficiently by Rekha Bhradwaj and Javed Ali. As the song settles in your heart, you are drenched in the richness of Rahman's music. Now that is indescribable.

The thunderous mood gets a balmy touch with the traditional, melodious track Khili Re crooned by the first-timer Reena Bhardawaj. With this track Rahman has tried to mix contemporary music with retro, quite reminiscent of the 80s romantic songs. Indeed, the song gladdens our heart with its melody.

Can you ever forget Kuchi Kuchi Rakma from `Bombay' or Rukmini Kya Hua from `Roja'? The gang of Rahman-Ratnam again delivers a song on similar lines. Kata Kata with distinct Rajasthani folk rendered by the sensational trio Ila Arun, Sapna Awasthi and Kunal Ganjawala has a celebratory tune. No doubt the song is picturised on a marriage.

Bewildered, we are now `Raavan'-struck. The bazooka has claimed its victim. Simply phenomenal, out of the ordinary, and at times bizarre, the musical score of the film doesn't fall short of the expectations. Agreed, some songs are less hummable, but it's not easy to break the spell created by the film's music. It lingers on for hours and days after.

It's a `Raavan'ous musical treat!

Rating - 4 / 5

A.ANAND
27th April 2010, 08:41 PM
[tscii:936dfb1975]A Rave-Worthy Effort

The Rahman-Ratnam-Gulzar combo strikes gold again with the music of the eagerly awaited ‘Raavan’. A heady mixture of energy and innovation – the music of Raavan does not disappoint. It ranks, along with Ishqiya, as the best album of 2010 so far, and will probably end up within the top five of the year

By Suprateek Chatterjee
Posted On Tuesday, April 27, 2010 at 05:28:41 PM

Album: Raavan
Music: A R Rahman
Released by: T-Series
Rating: * * * * (out of 5)

Being A R Rahman can’t be easy. It’s one thing to be competing with the best in the business, but when the toughest competitor around is yourself, that’s when things get worse. The maestro is back with one of the most awaited albums of the year, Raavan, where he collaborates with director Mani Ratnam and lyricist Gulzar (the three of them can safely be said to constitute the Holy Trinity of Bollywood music).

It’s only natural, then, to approach an album like this with super-high expectations and, sure enough, the music of Raavan does not disappoint. It ranks, along with Ishqiya, as the best album of 2010 so far, and will probably end up within the top five of the year.

Is it Rahman’s best? No, but it comes close. The music of Raavan is earthy, percussive and full of imaginative arrangements, but it doesn’t scale the same heights as Roja, Bombay, Dil Se or even Delhi-6. It’s clear that many of the songs are made for the screen, and will appeal more to some listeners once the videos or the movie itself is out.

That said, this is one hell of a Rahman sucker-punch that should keep listeners hooked (this reviewer listened to the entire album thrice in the same day). The album opens with the eminently hummable ‘Beera’, which is clearly an ode to the titular character Beera essayed by Abhishek Bachchan. Sung by Kirti Sagathia and Vijay Prakash, this one has chartbuster written all over it and has a nice folk-rock vibe.

The second track, ‘Behne De’, is an aggressive tour-de-force for singer Karthik who gets just the right amount of angst in his vocals. With arrangements that include lush strings, a choir, electronic synth leads and a deliciously angry electric guitar riff, one can already imagine an adrenaline-pumping montage cut to this brilliant track in the film.

This level of energy is carried over to the next track, ‘Thok De Killi’. Here, Gulzar’s lyrics take centre-stage with lines that speak of revolution and violence, and, really, who better than Sukhwinder Singh to convey that feel, right? The singer goes all out, while Rahman keeps pace with some impressive orchestral arrangements.

This leads to the magnum opus of the album, ‘Ranjha Ranjha’. Sung by Rekha Bharadwaj, Javed Ali and Anuradha Sriram, this song packs a wallop – imagine ‘Maiyya Maiyya’ from Guru combined with ‘Liquid Dance’ from Slumdog Millionaire. Gulzar’s poetry scales new heights – sample the line ‘jalti raakh laga ley maathey lagey toh chandan hoy’ – and when the delectably fuzzy bass kicks in, your foot will start tapping of its own accord no matter where you are at that moment.

Rekha Bharadwaj’s delectably silken vocals come once again in the next song, a soft and romantic semi-classical number, ‘Khili Re’. While Rahman’s arrangements are interesting, the song doesn’t compare to a ‘Badi Dheere Jali’ (from Ishqiya) in terms of creating an atmosphere; however, after the aggressive gale-force nature of the tracks preceding it, this one comes as a pleasant zephyr. The album ends with the heavily percussive ‘Kata Kata’, whose lyrics compare a bachelor getting married to a lamb headed for slaughter. Sung with tremendous energy by Ila Arun, Sapna Awasthi and Kunal Ganjawala, this is one song that will look and sound better on screen than it does on the album.

The good news: Rahman’s only getting better with age. His music is growing more complex in terms of arrangements and the production quality is par excellence. Some might complain that the music of Raavan doesn’t have as much melodic strength as, say, a Lagaan, which is absolutely true. However, the music has to fit the film, and in that regard, Rahman has hit the bulls-eye as usual. The Holy Trinity can rack up another notch to their credit.

http://www.mumbaimirror.com/article/135/20100427201004271728412599b05c361/A-RaveWorthy-Effort.html

[/tscii:936dfb1975]

Scale
28th April 2010, 03:09 AM
Music Man says entha kaalathula irukeengha :ashamed: :thumbsup: remember reading it in your review.

So the dive is real.

http://www.raavan-thefilm.com/hindi.html

Some more pictures, Impressive! Hope the kidnapping and romancing won't create any ruckus. If the name of the characters are beera, rahini why choose a title 'Raavan'?

Whether Raavan surpasses or not the song 'Behne De' has taken a bounteous swaying on me straight on my top list. Very powerful song indeed! Gulzar saab lyrics is free-flowing in full strength.

The tamil track list seams unbelievable Asha Bhonsle, sonu nigam & kailash kher :shock:

5. Moozhgi Vidava by Karthik.

ARR shud have sung this!

Scale
28th April 2010, 03:38 AM
Kili Re Kili Re :musicsmile:

Love the way how the 'surilaa.. surilaa ' part flute takes over to the Ist interlude with veena= female+male classical alaaps and the brilliant tabla being interspersed. :arumai: :aanandham:

Fantastic!

The Ist charanam is reminiscent of Jogiya Jogiya (TLOBS).

The greatness of ARR's music/album is the sheer variety he brings in perfectly be it a backbreaking sufi no 'Behne De' or a classically soothing melody 'Killi Re'.

A.ANAND
28th April 2010, 01:31 PM
[tscii:af48ce9003]Rahman rhapsody

The score of the much-awaited ¡°Raavan¡± is proof that A.R. Rahman saves his best for old friend Mani Ratnam

HIGH ON SONGS¡°Raavan¡±

Here's a Dare. Try keeping yourself away from not tuning in to this album. The songs will find you no matter where you go for the next three months ¡ª as ringtones, caller tunes, friend's car stereos, before it finally takes over your iTunes playlist.

¡°Raavan¡± is further proof that A.R. Rahman always saves some of his best stuff for old friend Mani Ratnam. That appetising teaser playing on TV with chants of Beera is guaranteed to make even the cynics take that dive straight into the album.

The magic of sounds

¡°Raavan¡± begins with a paean to Beera (Vijay Prakash, Mustafa Kutuane and Keerthi Sagathia) with an African tribal vibe, a little ¡°Lion King¡±-ish, thanks to its jungle rhythms and the percussion pepping up the ode to the riotous Raavan.

The song establishes the character of the protagonist, and we see him as a grown-up Mowgli, bursting with energy, cruising through the jungle, and gearing up for a ride into the wild, warned not to mess with Beera ¡ª because he's all about Abhimaan (pride or ego as we've heard from the myth).

Gulzar has a lot more to do in the melancholic second track ¡®Behene De' that begins with a pall of gloom (faint drum beats and ambient sounds) ¡ª sort of an aftermath song.

Despite the hurting, we see that Raavan hasn't lost his sense of pride. Beautiful similes of fire and water punctuate this mood song that packs in the pain and angst of Raavan. Soulfully rendered by Karthik (and additional vocals by Mohammed Irfan).

The energetic ¡®Thok De Khilli' (Sukhwinder Singh, Am'nico) comes up next as an anthem for revolution. The situation seems to be inter-cut with a wedding sequence as the shehnai smoothly blends into the revolt song, and we can be assured of some intense drama in the choreography, what with lyrics such as ¡®Kisme Dum Hai Ki Suraj Bhujaiye?' (Who has the guts to extinguish the sun?) and a crescendo. Rahman sets it up for a volatile encounter. The song suggests that Mani Ratnam's ¡°Raavan¡± is tired of decades of the differences between the haves and the have-nots.

¡®Ranjha Ranjha' (Rekha Bharadwaj, Javed Ali and additional vocals by Anuradha Sriram) seems to be the outlet for Raavan's angst of his unrequited love, and Rahman packs in some more soul. Again, a great opportunity for Gulzar to delve into the pangs of love and longing.

Love ballad

We suspect this happens after the abduction when Raavan finds himself crazy in love with his captive. This could also be the only opportunity for the item number, with Rahman infusing slow dance beats into this pathos-filled love ballad ¡ª maybe a couple of street performers echoing his sentiments.

There's a certain vulnerability about Rekha Bhardwaj's voice that helps Rahman churn out the album's only slow song ¡ª a beautiful melody, done Hindustani style, with Naveen's flute and tabla giving ample scope for Aishwarya to showcase her dancing skills. This song is bound to sound way better at the end of a long day, a soothing song about a girl's love for her piya (husband). Probably, the only song Ram gets in ¡°Raavan¡±'s album?

There are going to be numerous comparisons between ¡®Kata Kata' (Ila Arun, Sapna Awasthi, Kunal Ganjawalla) and ¡®Rukmani Rukmani', both being wedding songs involving a group of singers, but if ¡®Rukmani¡*' was a mischievous set-up for the nuptial night, this one's sung like a warning (¡®Kata Kata Bechara Bakra'), but with equal amount of revelry and fanfare. ¡®One more bites the dust' is the sentiment, but the shehnai and the dhol, coupled with Kerala-flavoured percussion building up to a riotous climax, may make it a favourite at weddings.

There's no escaping ¡°Raavan¡±. Or Rahman. They will get you.

SUDHISH KAMATH [/tscii:af48ce9003]

littlemaster1982
28th April 2010, 06:59 PM
Thok De Killi :redjump: :redjump: Interludes are :notworthy: :notworthy:

SoftSword
28th April 2010, 07:12 PM
appreciating my own self-control...
listened to the hindi version songs only once... not even properly... kept it aside, waiting for the tamil...
i want to enjoy the freshness of a arr-mani-vairamuthu combo,
the disappointment in the first hearing..
the search in the second, the little satisfaction in parts in the third, and slowly enjoying the way the lyrics and the tune gel together...
wow ecstasy...
worth a wait...

Sanjeevi
28th April 2010, 07:26 PM
listened to the hindi version songs only once... not even properly... kept it aside, waiting for the tamil...
the search in the second, the little satisfaction in parts in the third, and slowly enjoying the way the lyrics and the tune gel together...
wow ecstasy...
worth a wait...

Mozhi peyarppu or fresh lyrics :lol2:

BTW the posters of Ravanan tell the name kulzar not vairamuthu

Mahen
28th April 2010, 07:49 PM
Thok De Killi :redjump: :redjump: Interludes are :notworthy: :notworthy:

SAme here :) I dont like the song though...Interludes kaaga pattu skip panni ketpen :)

littlemaster1982
28th April 2010, 07:54 PM
wow ecstasy...
worth a wait...

The songs are written first in Thamizh, FYI. And, hope you know what Gulzar said about "En Uyire".

MusicIsLife
28th April 2010, 09:19 PM
Very Nifty, and at least grows on you after several hearings.. This is kind of subtly real, sounds the same from previous MR movies, but different at the same time (mostly Guru).
Enjoyable, but surely lacked the punch for me personally as with VTV.

baba88
29th April 2010, 01:14 AM
My picks are Beera, Behende De, Ranjha till now.
Btw Tamil and Telugu version are available from friday.

MADDY
29th April 2010, 10:08 AM
listened to ravan a couple of times.........the first feel is, there is a lot of deja-vu in terms of melody but rahman has successfully dismantled the existing templates in orchestration department........i say deja-vu tunewise because behne de reminds me of satrangere (dil se), ranjha ranjha reminds me of yaar mila tha sayya (blue) - im not suggesting rehash here but just that it evokes similar reaction to my untrained ears........

i say rahman has successfuly dismantled the existing templates of arrangements - beera is anything but unheard.......the afro-indian percussion in the song is a unique start to the album.......the grooves accompanying the pallavi is electrifying.........the usage of strings has been lenient and it sprang out in places where i least expected - like the prelude of ranjha ranjha where i was expecting a heavy percussion but was greeted with beautiful guitar notes.......kili re is a delightful fusion of hindustani music and old hindi cinema genre.......what a delightful first interlude - proves rahman's mastery in strings and soulful music.......thok de dili has a heavy kaala bandar (delhi-6) influence but is such energy bundle with its prominent bassliness........

i havent heard a more catchy song than kata kata in a long time......the percussions, foot tapping rythms and oscillating melody lines makes it a perfect chartbuster candidate........behne de is absolute beauty with its prelude and the way song takes a u-turn with guitars and percussion........the entire album is so earthy and rustic - rahman has once again pushed the envelope of indian film album boundary further with this quirk album...... 8-)

AudazJay
29th April 2010, 12:06 PM
wow ecstasy...
worth a wait...

The songs are written first in Thamizh, FYI. And, hope you know what Gulzar said about "En Uyire".

What did he say? :?:

littlemaster1982
29th April 2010, 12:08 PM
wow ecstasy...
worth a wait...

After knowing the translation of "En Uyire", he reportedly said no way I could write something like this.

lancelot
29th April 2010, 12:26 PM
what a loud album... amazing... Killi Re is kind of a relief to listen to after all the noise the other songs make....

amazing stuff, been waiting for an album like this for i dont know how long... thanx Mani.

waiting for the Tamil album :)

AudazJay
29th April 2010, 12:35 PM
wow ecstasy...
worth a wait...

After knowing the translation of "En Uyire", he reportedly said no way I could write something like this.

:clap: :clap:

Sanjeevi
29th April 2010, 02:00 PM

Thanks for the news :)

Appo gulzar did translation :wink:

AravindMano
29th April 2010, 02:05 PM
wow ecstasy...
worth a wait...

I remember reading it was for the first line of PoongaatRilE. Gulzar couldn't bring out பூங்காற்றிலே உன் சுவாசத்தை தனியாக தேடிப் பார்த்தேன் in one line. And that it's the greatness of Vairamuththu and the language itself.

Scale
29th April 2010, 03:07 PM
Gulzar & Vairamuthu share a very good rapport ARR himself acknowledged during Dil Se/Uyire release having 2 great geniuses on his side is really a blessing.

Yeah, fans too!

Actually, Mehboob is the lyricist who eased that linguistic barrier for ARR. Fans romba kadamai patrukkom & it could be viceversa.

vibinrajmani
29th April 2010, 03:39 PM
I caved in already and have been listening to Raavan repeatedly for the past couple of days. So I am breathing, eating and sleeping Raavan. I sincerely hope the tamil lyrics are interwoven smoothly.

Yathu
29th April 2010, 03:48 PM
Yeah same here. I wanted to have a few listens and then wait for Tamil version to come out but I've been listening non stop to Raavan for past few days!

Not good for when Tamil version comes out! :S

jinju
29th April 2010, 05:02 PM
wooohooo appo naan dhaan mr.control-a inge?! :D

haven't had a listen yet, aanaal naalaikku tamil version releasenu oru nambikkaiyila irukken...mani sir, naalaikku release pannalena en virutham break aagum :( ! please please........ :roll:

SoftSword
29th April 2010, 05:53 PM

haven't had a listen yet, aanaal naalaikku tamil version releasenu oru nambikkaiyila irukken...mani sir, naalaikku release pannalena en virutham break aagum :( ! please please........ :roll:

nangalum thamizhukku mattumae wait pannitu irukkom... hindi songs completea oru murai kooda kekkala...

so when is it expected to release?

jinju
29th April 2010, 06:50 PM

nangalum thamizhukku mattumae wait pannitu irukkom... hindi songs completea oru murai kooda kekkala...

so when is it expected to release?

no idea yaar...as per prior info it was supposed to be on 30th, but no confirmation or news on that! i dont think it's releasing tomoro :(

Mahen
29th April 2010, 07:00 PM
[tscii:2cb188cc6a]
April 29, 2010 (Sampurn Wire): Finally, the listing of audio tracks for ‘Raavan’ Tamil version has been officially released by Sony Music. The title song ‘Veera’ (‘Beera’ in Hindi) has been crooned by the same singer Vijay Prakash of ‘Hosanna’ fame along with Keerthi Sagathia. The Additional African vocals are rendered by Mustafa Kutoon. Karthik’s ‘Usure Pogudhey’ is expected to be the Tamil version of ‘Behene De’ and A.R. Rahman has picked Shreya Ghosal for ‘Kalvare’ (Rekha Bharadwaj’s ‘Kili Re’).

The other tracks are – ‘Kodu Poatta’ (Benny Dayal), Keda Kari (Benny Dayal, Bhagyaraj, Rayhanah and Grammy winner Tanvi Shah) and Kaattu Sirukki (Shankar Mahadevan, Anuradha Sriram). Vairamuthu has penned lyrics for all the songs and the stunning response for the Hindi version has already raised everyone’s expectations in Tamil Nadu and Hyderabad. Both the Tamil and Telugu version ‘Villain’ will be released on the same by first week of May

Damn..earlier list ellam fake-a? :o [/tscii:2cb188cc6a]

vibinrajmani
29th April 2010, 07:25 PM
Check Wikipedia's Raavanan/Villain soundtrack listing. There is clearly a discrepancy between the tamil and the telugu versions. An extra song in Telugu? Thamizhla song title kekkumbodhe, enakku nambikka illa :( Kattu Sirukki?? Usiru pogudha?? :banghead: :banghead:

Yathu
29th April 2010, 07:27 PM
ARR doesn't feature in any of the tracks?

Shankar & Anuradha Sriram sounds like a good combo.

ARR really does seem to favour Benny Dayal a lot of late. :neutral:

shocker
29th April 2010, 09:07 PM
I was a bit disappointed when I hear that this film isn't based on the Ramayana story...

Also where is the Tamil version!!!

VinodKumar's
29th April 2010, 09:19 PM
ARR doesn't feature in any of the tracks?

Shankar & Anuradha Sriram sounds like a good combo.

ARR really does seem to favour Benny Dayal a lot of late. :neutral:

I heard chinmayi is also not there :oops:

viraajan
29th April 2010, 10:55 PM
Anuradha Sriram ah? :shock: :oops: romba kathuvaangale... :oops:

Karthik is in tamil too... for the same song :cool:

Two songs for Benny! :|

As expected, Shreya for Kili re :bow:

Eagerly waiting! :cool:

Yathu
29th April 2010, 11:54 PM
Anuradha Sriram has that earthy folk kinda voice, similar to Rekha Bharadwaj. It'll probably work well in this song. Plus it's about time ARR gave her a full song. :D

Ramakrishna
30th April 2010, 12:21 AM
Thok de killi :smokesmirk:

ajaybaskar
30th April 2010, 12:42 AM
Ranjha Ranjha will be much better in Tamil. Wait and see... (The hindi version itself is a killer stuff)

Ramakrishna
30th April 2010, 02:33 AM
Behne de prelude :notworthy:

shocker
30th April 2010, 03:42 AM
The Behne De prelude is way too long and boring. I guess it is right for the situation though, with visuals and all...

ajaybaskar
30th April 2010, 10:36 AM
I differ with Shocker here.. I think this prelude is one of the best in recent times.. Gr8.

lancelot
30th April 2010, 10:39 AM
I differ with Shocker here.. I think this prelude is one of the best in recent times.. Gr8.

yes yes totally agree :D Awesome!

guys, any news of the tamil album releasing today?

ajaybaskar
30th April 2010, 10:41 AM
No.. May 2nd.

jinju
30th April 2010, 11:10 AM
No.. May 2nd.

2 more days.... :x :( ! k will wait...ivvlo naal control panniyaachu...rende rendu naal dhaan, soonaa paanaa!

thanks ajay for the info

Scale
30th April 2010, 01:15 PM
that's too short for me. appdiellam vitra maattaaru I am guessing it for the whole opening credits :) Such a serene, sensuous, mystifying dark theme!

Scale
30th April 2010, 01:41 PM
btw the song rocks big big big time. Listen to the ending :orchestra blasting: thundering beats, string section & chorus. Mind-blowing!

leosimha
30th April 2010, 03:11 PM

:shock: have you ever listened to Minsaru Kanavu song by Anuradha Sriram.....a melodious song sung by Anuradha...

it doesn't mean that if a singer sings for item songs s/he has to shout for other songs too....

very silly.... :)

viraajan
30th April 2010, 03:28 PM

:shock: have you ever listened to Minsaru Kanavu song by Anuradha Sriram.....a melodious song sung by Anuradha...

it doesn't mean that if a singer sings for item songs s/he has to shout for other songs too....

I have listend to her melodies as well bro. Agree with that MK number. but that was long ago.

Have you listened to kannan varum velai from Deepavali.

SoftSword
30th April 2010, 03:32 PM
is that deepavali song by anuradha sriram?
thot its some northie singer like madhusree...

viraajan
30th April 2010, 03:53 PM
Two singers SS :) MS and AS!

leosimha
30th April 2010, 04:29 PM

I have listend to her melodies as well bro. Agree with that MK number. but that was long ago.

Have you listened to kannan varum velai from Deepavali.

yes. :oops: forget that. hmm...by the way how has she sung the song in this album. I need to buy the album as the casettes are sold out... :(

Ramakrishna
30th April 2010, 07:26 PM
btw the song rocks big big big time. Listen to the ending :orchestra blasting: thundering beats, string section & chorus. Mind-blowing!

Ending of behne de is the best.

SoftSword
30th April 2010, 07:36 PM
yow... ippo unna kettangala... besta illayanu...
kaettoma sandhosama irundhomanu poga vendiyadhu dhaana....

avan avan usura kaila pudichuttu wait pannitu irukaan... vandhuttaaru...:)

vibinrajmani
30th April 2010, 11:58 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gWpvdXMxTLQ&feature=player_embedded

I'm totally psyched!! :cool2:

Ramakrishna
1st May 2010, 12:01 AM

:lol2:

antha tok de killi oru interlude varum paarunga...chancey illa.

Yathu
1st May 2010, 12:35 AM

Wow, looks cool! :2thumbsup:

vibinrajmani
1st May 2010, 12:39 AM

Wow, looks cool! :2thumbsup:

Yes :D Still waiting to listen to the tamil version :( :( Have they officially announced the date of release yet?

Yathu
1st May 2010, 12:53 AM
Why isn't a Tamil trailer out yet? The films are getting released on the same day right? :?

shocker
1st May 2010, 01:06 AM
Amazing trailer! Some of those shots are breath taking. AB's character seems really interesting, nice performance, seemingly. Aish looking rather stunning.
Most importantly the music really seems to work well.

I have only one major disappointment, and it is a big one, where on earth is all the Tamil promo and music!

littlemaster1982
1st May 2010, 06:32 AM

:lol2:

antha tok de killi oru interlude varum paarunga...chancey illa.

:twisted: :notthatway:

Rendu interlude-um attagasam 8-)

vibinrajmani
1st May 2010, 10:05 AM
Eppo tamil audio release? Can't wait any longer :( :cry:

K2AL
1st May 2010, 10:16 AM
Preview of Veera from Raavanan

http://www.facebook.com/arrahman#!/arrahman?v=wall&story_fbid=389225856719

vibinrajmani
1st May 2010, 10:22 AM

Is that in tamil?? Onnume puriyale! :roll: :roll:

P_R
1st May 2010, 10:35 AM

Thanks for the news :)

Appo gulzar did translation :wink:

Not actually

The theme of the Hindi song is very different from the Tamil song.

The song 'satrangi re' (one of seven colors) itself is a marked departure from ennuyirE.

Actually my fav. song in UyirE is poongkAtrilE (ennuyirE has more of VM's free hand which I didn't find that impressive). So the first time I heard 'Eh ajnbee' I was quite disappointed. Later I came to like the song too. Satrangi rE lyrics are very impressive and quite different from Tamil.

The one where there is a lot of overlap is Dilse rE (sandhOsha kaNNeerE) and that too it is not line-by-line it is impossible.

Where in Tamil you have "thEdi thEdi thEyndhEnE"

Gulzar writes "dil to aakhir dil hai nA" which means 'After all a heart is just a heart" ( poor helpless creature that can't help feeling the way it feels). Which is starkly different and beautiful in its own style.

However in the part where in Tamil we have

"..
pala Thadaigal KadandhAyO sol kannE
pEranbE undhan ninaivu"

Gulzar writes

"paththar ki darwaazE deeWarEin
bElEin phir bhi ugati hain.."

which means
"doors and walls of stone
still plants take root"

This is exactly the same imagery which is in VM's lines:

"kal onRu thadai seidha pOdhum
pul onRu pudhu vErgaL pOdum".

And for that line what Gulzar writes is also beautiful

"dil hai to phir dard hOgA
dard hai to phir dil bhi hOgA"

which means
If there is a heart there'll be pain
If there is a pain then (we can infer that) there is a heart

On the whole two lovely lyricists at work. :clap:

On the whole my impression is Gulzar is more poetic in choice of expressions and images, particularly his usage of many abstract expressions in poetry (whereas VM is more visceral - which no doubt has its own appeal), so Gulzar sometimes manages to have more than one subtle shade of meaning. OTOH VM fits the tune fantastically - not a single syllable out of place, not a single part of the tune stretched and sung to fit the words etc. This can't be said of Gulzar - though he too usually fits the lyrics quite well. Just that VM is in another league in this game. This significantly heightens the appeal of VM's images and words.

Uyire/Dil sE albums - should be preserved for feecher generations :clap:

K2AL
1st May 2010, 10:47 AM

lol ya Hindi V sounds g8 :(

vibinrajmani
1st May 2010, 10:54 AM

lol ya Hindi V sounds g8 :(

I'm oozing with pessimism now, so enakku nambikka illai that the tamil version will be good :(

Scale
1st May 2010, 11:18 AM
For those who don't know P_R is our celebrated Kalai Vingnani in hub :sample: :clap: :notworthy:

:deservingly:

:ithellam thanniyaattam vodurathu:

raghavendran
1st May 2010, 11:39 AM
For those who don't know P_R is our celebrated Kalai Vingnani in hub :sample: :clap: :notworthy:

:deservingly:

:ithellam thanniyaattam vodurathu: :) :clap:

viraajan
1st May 2010, 12:32 PM
Thank you so much PR :clap: You've done a great job.

I have always wanted to know the meaning of hindi songs/lyrics. I guess this is the first time, I'm getting to know the meaning of a hindi song. Lovely!

Gulzar :bow:

VM :bow: :bow:

nAnum romba naala hindhi kathukkanum'nu pAkkuren :? mudiyalaye :( 'idhar aaO' level'yE thaan innum irukken! :oops:

vibinrajmani
1st May 2010, 12:56 PM
[tscii:ef6f707893]‘Raavanan’ 'hit' list

It's official. The much awaited music launch of Mani Ratnam's magum opus 'Raavanan' will be held in Chennai on May 5. The listing of audio tracks for the film starring Vikram and Aishwarya Rai Bachchan in lead roles has also been released by Sony Music.

The title song 'Veera...' ('Beera...' in Hindi) has been crooned by the same singer Vijay Prakash of 'Hosanna...' fame along with Keerthi Sagathia. The Additional African vocals are rendered by Mustafa Kutoon.

Karthik's 'Usure Pogudhey...' is expected to be the Tamil version of 'Behene De...' and music maestro A R Rahman has picked Shreya Ghoshal for 'Kalvare...' (Presumably Rekha Bharadwaj's 'Kili Re...').

The other tracks are - 'Kodu Poatta...' (Benny Dayal), 'Keda Kari...' (Benny Dayal, Bhagyaraj, Rayhana and Grammy winner Tanvi Shah) and 'Kaattu Sirukki...' (Shankar Mahadevan, Anuradha Sriram).

Vairamuthu has penned lyrics for all the songs. The film is simultaneously releasing in Hindi as 'Raavan' and in Telugu as 'Villain'.

http://www.indiaglitz.com/channels/tamil/article/56639.html

:banghead: :cry: Innum four more days!! I have no clue what the producers are doing :evil: [/tscii:ef6f707893]

shocker
1st May 2010, 01:57 PM
Some "well informed" person mentioned earlier that it was being released on the 2nd. Quite annoyed!

shocker
1st May 2010, 02:25 PM
The tamil version of Beera, Veera, does not sound as good. Also can't seem to understand any of the words clearly, the melody does not seem to flow as well. :(

lancelot
1st May 2010, 02:56 PM
tamil album is out? :D

Mahen
1st May 2010, 03:24 PM
The tamil version of Beera, Veera, does not sound as good. Also can't seem to understand any of the words clearly, the melody does not seem to flow as well. :(

:notthatway: Full-la ketkame, comment panna kudathu

Benny Lava
1st May 2010, 03:34 PM
That is a very good post PR! :thumbsup:

Actually my fav. song in UyirE is poongkAtrilE (ennuyirE has more of VM's free hand which I didn't find that impressive). So the first time I heard 'Eh ajnbee' I was quite disappointed. Later I came to like the song too. Satrangi rE lyrics are very impressive and quite different from Tamil.

Yes, quite different lyrics but they worked spot on for the same situation. But overall I felt VM's lyrics sounded a bit more tragic, whereas in Hindi the feel is more positive. Especially in these lines,

Vaanam Engum Un Vimbam Aanaal Kaiyil Saeravillai
Kaatril Engum Un Vaasam Verum Vaasam Vaazhkkaiyillai

For the same stanza Gulzar writes,

tuu to nahii hai lekin terii muskaraahaT hai (you may not be here, but your smile is with me)
chehara kahii nahii hai par terii aahaTe hai (I can't see your face, but the voice of your footsteps will always be with me)

Both verses says the same fact, but the arrangement of phrases changes the meaning making it a bit more optimistic.

I agree wholesomely with you on this, poongatriley is my favourite song from the album. And how silken is Unni Menon's voice!! Wow!!!

Hope you can write about Nenjiniley song as well, I like VM's verses in that.

EDITED: silly mistake - half mark minus

Mahen
1st May 2010, 03:37 PM
That is a very good post PR! :thumbsup:

Yes, quite different lyrics but they worked spot on for the same situation. But overall I felt VM's lyrics sounded a bit more tragic, whereas in Hindi the feel is more positive. Especially in these lines,

Vaanam Engum Un Vimbam Aanaal Kaiyil Saeravillai
Kaatril Engum Un Vaasam Verum Vaasam Vaazhkkaiyillai

For the same stanza Gulzar writes,

tuu to nahii hai lekin terii muskaraahaT hai (you may not be here, but your smile is with me)
chehara kahii nahii hai par terii aahaTe hai (I can't see your face, but the voice of your footsteps will always be with me)

Both verses says the same fact, but the arrangement of phrases changes the meaning making it a bit more optimistic.

I agree wholesomely with you on this, poongatriley is my favourite song from the album. And how silken is Unni krishnan's voice!! Wow!!!

Hope you can write about Nenjiniley song as well, I like VM's verses in that.

Unni menon bro :)

Benny Lava
1st May 2010, 03:41 PM
Thanks Bro... thiruthiyachu :P

shocker
1st May 2010, 04:36 PM

:notthatway: Full-la ketkame, comment panna kudathu

Fair enough, my comment was based on the preview.

Sanjeevi
1st May 2010, 05:44 PM
Thanks P_R :)

Yes my most pick of Uyire is also "Pon Katrile" song. Ofcourse I have a connect with this song :cry2: , It has powers to bring tears from my eyes :cry:.

Even if we consider translation, a good lyricist can show his face and can overshadow the original face. The classic fact is Kamban.

vibinrajmani
1st May 2010, 05:44 PM
Tamil trailer!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ESEr5P2v9LA

Sanjeevi
1st May 2010, 05:46 PM
I am waiting for tamil version Ravanan only...

shocker
1st May 2010, 07:52 PM
Aren't we all.

A.ANAND
1st May 2010, 09:17 PM
[tscii:bc2e92b1d2]Raavanan audio on May 5

By Moviebuzz | Friday, 30 April , 2010, 17:49

On May 5 Sony Music will launch straight into the southern market, the audio of Mani Ratnam’s Raavanan. Sources have confirmed that there will be no formal audio launch.

The reasons given out are the non-availability of the stars mainly AR Rahman and Mani Ratnam. The director is busy giving the final polish to the film which he plans to screen outside of the festival at Cannes.

However Big Pictures and Sony Music are planning to hold a promotional press meet for Tamil Raavanan at a later date.

The views expressed in the article are the author's and not of Sify.com.

[/tscii:bc2e92b1d2]

sha
2nd May 2010, 10:53 AM
Preview of Usurae Pogudhey from Raavanan

http://www.facebook.com/arrahman#!/arrahman?v=wall&story_fbid=389510951719

http://www.facebook.com/arrahman

from the first listen itself i got goosebumps with this

vibinrajmani
2nd May 2010, 11:29 AM

Again, from the 30 sec sample, I think the lyrics don't gel well at all :?

MADDY
2nd May 2010, 11:36 AM
Aren't we all.

no, im waiting for both versions......

vibinrajmani
2nd May 2010, 11:56 AM

Oh, hell! I take that statement back :oops:

Mahen
2nd May 2010, 12:03 PM

Luckily i read this..wanted to comment on your earlier post on the lyrics :D VM :notworthy:

sha
2nd May 2010, 12:21 PM
ohh hell , y its stoping at 00:31 . i want more,, cant wait ...........

vibinrajmani
2nd May 2010, 12:29 PM

Luckily i read this..wanted to comment on your earlier post on the lyrics :D VM :notworthy:

Yes :D Gives me a nice Thiruda Thiruda vibe!

Kumarappa
2nd May 2010, 01:52 PM
I have hardly listened to the Hindi songs (2-3 times perhaps) as I'm waiting for Tamil versions only and don't want to get addicted to the Hindi ones, but I can't get both Behene De and Ranjha Ranjha out of my mind, esp. the former. Have to forget Behene de and fall in love with Usurae poguthey... :)

baba88
2nd May 2010, 02:06 PM
usure pogudhe sounds like it could have been from barathiraja's Tajmahal movie. Really beautiful song

raghavendran
2nd May 2010, 02:28 PM
Aren't we all.

ya...me too...hope vikram wil steal the show in both the versions...really think so wen i saw the ful lenght hindi trailor...

shocker
2nd May 2010, 03:18 PM
Aren't we all.

What Tamil and Telugu?

vibinrajmani
2nd May 2010, 04:30 PM
Aren't we all.

ya...me too...hope vikram wil steal the show in both the versions...really think so wen i saw the ful lenght hindi trailor...

How many closeted Vikram fans are inhabiting this forum? :lol:

Yathu
2nd May 2010, 05:09 PM
:lol: I didn't realise being a Vikram fan was something to be ashamed of. :shock:

Yathu
2nd May 2010, 05:11 PM

I'm already feeling the effects of listening to the Hindi version a few too many times. :cry2:

raghavendran
2nd May 2010, 05:59 PM
Aren't we all.

How many closeted Vikram fans are inhabiting this forum? :lol:
i like vikram...respect his talent..want him to comeback and be thr where he deserves to be..but fan...no..the list is too long.. :P

shocker
2nd May 2010, 06:02 PM

I'm already feeling the effects of listening to the Hindi version a few too many times. :cry2:

Listen to the Tamil a few more times to counteract this effect!

raghavendran
2nd May 2010, 06:03 PM

Listen to the Tamil a few more times to counteract this effect!
thats why i haven lstended to the hindi version yet...tamizh is first for me...always :)

lancelot
2nd May 2010, 06:21 PM
finally! a Tamil album with no English words in it. When was the last time that happened?

that 31 seconds of Usurae Pogudhey was bliss! Karthik sounds awesome, cant wait for the full song.

lancelot
2nd May 2010, 06:30 PM
WOW!!! that 31 seconds turned my weekend around! amazing!

mahen01
2nd May 2010, 06:58 PM
Hindi vertion got released more than 2 weeks ago... 31 seconds is all we get in Tamil..... and you guys getting goosebums.. lol
Just 1 Request for ARR - Dont do this next time...
For Mani - No comments, He thinks he is a North Indian.

shocker
2nd May 2010, 07:04 PM
Hindi vertion got released more than 2 weeks ago... 31 seconds is all we get in Tamil..... and you guys getting goosebums.. lol

Mani doesn't make a film by himself. There is a whole team of people. Who is the film produced by? It is not one persons choice when the audio is released, it is a corporate decision (music label and producers).
Also ARR probably has no say as to when it is released, his job is just to make the music.

sathya_1979
2nd May 2010, 07:30 PM
Ya, Ya! we are not supposed to get any feeling at all! Thanks for the advise :lol: Mani is an Indian. Is there a separate country called North India?
ARR, please visit hub to get advise on how u shud work.

Mahen
2nd May 2010, 08:10 PM

:fatigue: pothum pa

Mahen
2nd May 2010, 08:49 PM
finally! a Tamil album with no English words in it. When was the last time that happened?

that 31 seconds of Usurae Pogudhey was bliss! Karthik sounds awesome, cant wait for the full song.

I think mani-arr-vm combo oda album, hardly have english words

lancelot
2nd May 2010, 09:18 PM

when was the last ARR album with no English in it?

Mahen
2nd May 2010, 09:20 PM

ATM..minus the ember rap :)

Scale
2nd May 2010, 09:24 PM
remba koluthi vitrukaapla VM :lol:

vibinrajmani
2nd May 2010, 09:33 PM
Kannathil Muthamittal?? Sangamam?

Sanjeevi
2nd May 2010, 09:45 PM
Roja :)

lancelot
2nd May 2010, 10:26 PM
so Kannathil Muthhamittal? really, it will be amazing to finally listen to an album thats going to only tamil :) waited so long :)

A.ANAND
2nd May 2010, 10:50 PM
woooooooow!usurey poguthey...uthata nee konjam sulikaiyile!VM :clap: :clap: :notworthy: :notworthy:

littlemaster1982
2nd May 2010, 10:54 PM
Generally songs in Mani's films don't have English words. Ayitha Ezhuthu songs had only two words in English - Hey Goodbye :P Alaipayuthey had one - September. Roja, Thiruda Thiruda, Kannathil Muthamittal, Uyire songs had lyrics completely in Thamizh.

A.ANAND
2nd May 2010, 10:59 PM
romba peru ethirparpathai pola hindi vida tamil-la songs super-ra irukum pola!innum 2days :bluejump: :redjump: :boo:

Rocky89
2nd May 2010, 11:41 PM

ATM..minus the ember rap :)

clonning, scanning, saturday night party, queen, king.. :?

Rocky89
2nd May 2010, 11:42 PM
Usurey poghudhe promo was great on first hearing itself :D

Kumarappa
2nd May 2010, 11:45 PM
Just was comparing Hindi lyrics with Tamil ones...

Hindi:
Behene de mujhe behene de mujhe behene de mujhe behene de

behene de mujhe behene de mujhe behene de mujhe behene de

Tamil:
Usurae poguthey usurae poguthey uthatta nee konjam sulikkaiyile

maaman thavikkiren madipichai kEtkiren manasa thaadi yen manikuyile

:P :P

Rocky89
2nd May 2010, 11:55 PM
Just was comparing Hindi lyrics with Tamil ones...

Hindi:
Behene de mujhe behene de mujhe behene de mujhe behene de

behene de mujhe behene de mujhe behene de mujhe behene de

Tamil:
Usurae poguthey usurae poguthey uthatta nee konjam sulikkaiyile

maaman thavikkiren madipichai kEtkiren manasa thaadi yen manikuyile

:P :P

:lol:

VM :clap:

shocker
3rd May 2010, 12:13 AM
Haha! I think you missed out a line in hindi though.
Could someone translate the Tamil lyrics into english please?

lancelot
3rd May 2010, 08:05 AM
Preview of Kodu Poatta from Raavanan

http://www.facebook.com/arrahman#!/arrahman?v=wall&story_fbid=389808981719

vibinrajmani
3rd May 2010, 08:24 AM

Currently, I'm just not feeling it and I perfectly know that I could be completely wrong in about 30 minutes or so, after repeated listenings :oops: BTW, are you guys sure the music was composed around the tamil lyrics?? I have doubts :roll:

lancelot
3rd May 2010, 08:33 AM

Currently, I'm just not feeling it and I perfectly know that I could be completely wrong in about 30 minutes or so, after repeated listenings :oops: BTW, are you guys sure the music was composed around the tamil lyrics?? I have doubts :roll:

felt the same at the start and been listening to it for about 10mins non stop. its growing on me :) i like the "neethe varaikum unga chattam....." part. has a real catch to it

may be is was actually composed around the Tamil lyrics. i think its just a drawback of listening to the Hindi album first. though i have no regrets :)

ajaybaskar
3rd May 2010, 08:44 AM
There is a print ad in today's Hindu confirming that the audio releases on 5th.

lancelot
3rd May 2010, 08:54 AM
5th? :( why not the 4th? :(

ajaybaskar
3rd May 2010, 09:22 AM
Normally tuesdays are considered to be unauspicious in TN.

lancelot
3rd May 2010, 10:33 AM
its May 4th.. Star Wars day!!! it has to be a good day :)

Appu s
3rd May 2010, 12:24 PM
Usurey poguthey and Kodu potta :cool2: have not listened to hindi songs,will listen once after tamil version. :D

A.ANAND
3rd May 2010, 12:29 PM

ada neenga vera yappa enneramum peethiya kelaikitte irukeengga! :oops: konjam freeya vidungga sir!

A.ANAND
3rd May 2010, 12:32 PM
tamil first release aagiruntha intha thollai yellam irukathu!

SoftSword
3rd May 2010, 12:40 PM
guess vairamutthu ran an extra mile in the lyrics dept as he is working with ARR after a long time....
he wanted make ARR and his fans realize what they were missing in the ARR's albums so far;

win-win for us :)

A.ANAND
3rd May 2010, 01:39 PM
[tscii:ea7ef98543]Raavanan audio- straight to the stores

By Moviebuzz | Monday, 03 May , 2010, 11:27

Sony Music has started the countdown to the audio launch of Mani Ratnam’s Raavanan, which has music by AR Rahman.

The audio of the film including its Telugu version Villain, will make it straight to the music stores on Wednesday, May 5.

There will be no official function to launch Raavanan audio, which is expected to be an instant chartbuster.

However Sony Music and Big Pictures will be holding a post audio launch function of Raavanan on May 14 in Chennai.

At the May 14 function AR Rahman and Vikram, are likely to perform on stage.

The views expressed in the article are the author's and not of Sify.com.

[/tscii:ea7ef98543]

vibinrajmani
3rd May 2010, 02:22 PM

ada neenga vera yappa enneramum peethiya kelaikitte irukeengga! :oops: konjam freeya vidungga sir!

Mannichirunga sir.

sureshsrikumar
3rd May 2010, 02:34 PM
hey guys... thala disappointed me for the first time by restructuring his old song in boys for "usuraey pogudhae".... esp. this line "usuraey pogudhae usuraey pogudhae udhata nee konjam suzhikayilae".... is exactly the same as the Jail song in Boys... "yeh kosuvae kosuvae kundu kundu kosuvaey kuthadha yen pasuva" it so obvious coz both the songs are sung by Karthik and he gave the same modulation for both...... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RECD-lQbCcs

:(

yaarum yenna kadichu kodhari thupidatheenga..... this is the first time im experiencing this kinda stuff from thala..... athan orey peelings aayiduchu....

SoftSword
3rd May 2010, 03:02 PM
hey guys... thala disappointed me for the first time by restructuring his old song in boys for "usuraey pogudhae".... esp. this line "usuraey pogudhae usuraey pogudhae udhata nee konjam suzhikayilae".... is exactly the same as the Jail song in Boys... "yeh kosuvae kosuvae kundu kundu kosuvaey kuthadha yen pasuva" it so obvious coz both the songs are sung by Karthik and he gave the same modulation for both...... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RECD-lQbCcs

yaarum yenna kadichu kodhari thupidatheenga..... this is the first time im experiencing this kinda stuff from thala..... athan orey peelings aayiduchu....

indha post podradhukkagavae pudhusa id create pannirupeenga poala.... "ARRfan" apdinu id vechutu vandhu post panirundheengana innum propera reach aagirukkum... :)

A.ANAND
3rd May 2010, 06:13 PM

indha post podradhukkagavae pudhusa id create pannirupeenga poala.... "ARRfan" apdinu id vechutu vandhu post panirundheengana innum propera reach aagirukkum... :)

:lol: :lol: :lol: good point!

A.ANAND
3rd May 2010, 06:24 PM
ராவணனுக்கு இசை வெளியீட்டு விழா இல்லை

ராவணன் படத்தின் இசை வெளியீட்டு விழாவை மிக பிரமாண்டமாக நடத்தத் திட்டமிட்டிருந்த மணிரத்னம், இப்போது அந்த யோசனையை தள்ளிப் போட்டுவிட்டார்.

ராவணன் தமிழ்ப் படத்தின் இசை குறுந்தட்டுகள் வரும் 5-ம் தேதி (நாளை மறுநாள்) வெளியாகின்றன. இந்தப் படத்தின் இந்தி ஆடியோ சில தினங்களுக்கு முன் மும்பையில் வெளியாகி சக்கைப் போடு போடுகிறது.

இப்போது அதன் தமிழ் வடிவமான ராவணன் மற்றும் தெலுங்கு வடிவமான வில்லன் படங்களின் ஆடியோ வெளியீட்டை பிரமாண்டமாக நடத்தத் திட்டமிட்டிருந்தனர்.

ஆனால் இப்போது திடீரென்று இந்தத் திட்டத்தில் மாறுதல் செய்யப்பட்டுள்ளது. இசை வெளியீட்டு விழாவுக்குப் பதில், நேரடியாக ஆடியோ சிடிக்களை கடைகளுக்கு அனுப்பி விடுவதென்றும், வரும் மே 14-ம் தேதி படத்தின் இசைக்காக ஒரு விழா நடத்துவதென்றும் மணிரத்னம் முடிவு செய்துள்ளாராம்.

அதில் இசையமைப்பாளர் ஏ ஆர் ரஹ்மான், நடிகர் விக்ரம் உள்ளிட்டோர் பங்கேற்பார்கள் என்று தெரிகிறது. ராவணன் பாடல்களை ரஹ்மானும் விக்ரமும் மேடையில் பாடி அசத்துவார்கள் என்றும் ராவணன் குழு தெரிவித்தது.

sureshsrikumar
3rd May 2010, 06:25 PM

pleeve me da chellam.... me too die hard fan of thala...... cant u feel the resemblance in the song....

A.ANAND
3rd May 2010, 06:38 PM
:( :D ok boss!u r welcome! :D

SoftSword
3rd May 2010, 06:48 PM

pleeve me da chellam.... me too die hard fan of thala...... cant u feel the resemblance in the song.... :shock: what kinda language is that :shaking: no i dont...

try singing the usurae pogudhae lyrics in the kosuve kosuve tune and check urself..

raghavendran
3rd May 2010, 07:05 PM
audio to hit stores directly on 5th...
sources sify.. :clap: :clap:

Thunai
3rd May 2010, 07:38 PM
RAAVAN is primarily and foremostly a HINDI film... after hearing the hindi songs & the Tamil previews, once can easily decipher that Mani Ratnam intents the ORIGINAL to be in Hindi, and he cares a shit for the TAMIL/TELUGU versions...!!! :banghead:

Mahen
3rd May 2010, 07:45 PM
RAAVAN is primarily and foremostly a HINDI film... after hearing the hindi songs & the Tamil previews, once can easily decipher that Mani Ratnam intents the ORIGINAL to be in Hindi, and he cares a **** for the TAMIL/TELUGU versions...!!! :banghead:

Another new id :sigh2: I suspect someone but dont wish to say it :)

SoftSword
3rd May 2010, 08:30 PM
RAAVAN is primarily and foremostly a HINDI film... after hearing the hindi songs & the Tamil previews, once can easily decipher that Mani Ratnam intents the ORIGINAL to be in Hindi, and he cares a **** for the TAMIL/TELUGU versions...!!! :banghead:

no mahen....
this id is active since 2005 :)

Mahen
3rd May 2010, 08:43 PM

no mahen....
this id is active since 2005 :)

Didnt realize that :oops: but still i suspect someone :)

SoftSword
3rd May 2010, 08:45 PM
stop suspecting and enjoy listening!! :musicsmile:

u can keep urself occupied with raavan songs...
am jobless until May 5th and i shall do the suspecting ;)

Thunai
3rd May 2010, 10:14 PM

i dont know who's jobless and who's paranoid here, but facts are facts.....!!! :lol:

shocker
3rd May 2010, 10:52 PM
2 more days...

Ramakrishna
4th May 2010, 12:50 AM
Jaa re ud jaare and behne de :notworthy: genius creations

MADDY
4th May 2010, 10:04 AM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_9-LD4UBWSw

high pitch singing naa adhu rahman dhaan :bow: .......heart melting

i think this song is the situation where Ravan lets sita off from his captivity - will be a very emotional moment i hope :(

ajaybaskar
4th May 2010, 10:49 AM
Listened to all the songs. Nothing except Ranjha has impressed me so far.

I have been made to eat my words. This is that kinda album which will leave you craving for more. I was poking Dinesh for criticizing VTV initially and then going gaga over it. Now ARR has done it me as well... Kusumbukkaara manushan! :-)

SoftSword
4th May 2010, 11:17 AM

i dont know who's jobless and who's paranoid here, but facts are facts.....!!! :lol:

i meant i am jobless cos I din engage myself with listening to hindi raavan... am waiting for 5th may...

vibinrajmani
4th May 2010, 12:41 PM
http://twitter.com/RaavanFanClub/statuses/13348838990

Cannot wait and just one more day!! :bluejump: :redjump:

SoftSword
4th May 2010, 01:10 PM

i think this song is the situation where Ravan lets sita off from his captivity - will be a very emotional moment i hope :(

how/when can we get to listen this song in good quality?

shocker
4th May 2010, 01:37 PM
No fair, radio stations getting it before the fans!

MADDY
4th May 2010, 02:04 PM
Listened to all the songs. Nothing except Ranjha has impressed me so far.

I have been made to eat my words. This is that kinda album which will leave you craving for more. I was poking Dinesh for criticizing VTV initially and then going gaga over it. Now ARR has done it me as well... Kusumbukkaara manushan! :-)

:lol: i didnt even want to listen to ravan songs fully but as sudhish kamath commented, it somehow reached me and blew me away.........

this is not something like a blind fanatism for ARR's music that we like each and every composition of his - its sheer fact that he puts in so much into each song that we are left with no choice but get attaracted to it :)

MADDY
4th May 2010, 02:04 PM

no idea man

SoftSword
4th May 2010, 02:12 PM

no idea man

enna ipdi poruppae illaama badhil solringa...
dhayavusenju neenga ellam seyarkkuzhu uruppinarnu veliya solladheenga... :evil:

MADDY
4th May 2010, 02:18 PM

naa oru kadai-nilai-oozhiyan, enakku poi padhavi pattam katreenga.........naa seyarkuzhukku varuven, aana eppa, enga-nnu endhiran padam appram dhaan solluven :lol:

SoftSword
4th May 2010, 03:24 PM

naa oru kadai-nilai-oozhiyan, enakku poi padhavi pattam katreenga.........naa seyarkuzhukku varuven, aana eppa, enga-nnu endhiran padam appram dhaan solluven :lol:

dont...touch...there...

Ramakrishna
4th May 2010, 03:34 PM

Bass guitar parts-a gavanicheenglaa 8-)

lancelot
4th May 2010, 03:34 PM
enough with this unwanted chat fellow fans :P

now, tell me... who here has access to this radio channel thats playing the songs?

SoftSword
4th May 2010, 03:50 PM

now, tell me... who here has access to this radio channel thats playing the songs?

ivlo nerama kaadhu vechukittu irukkom... engalukkae onnum kaekkalayaam...............

lancelot
4th May 2010, 03:59 PM

ivlo nerama kaadhu vechukittu irukkom... engalukkae onnum kaekkalayaam...............

so its untrue that a radio is playing the songs? today seems like it will never end to me :(

stopped listening to the ever so addictive Hindi songs. just doesn't seem rite to listen to them anymore :(

SoftSword
4th May 2010, 05:13 PM

so its untrue that a radio is playing the songs? today seems like it will never end to me :(

stopped listening to the ever so addictive Hindi songs. just doesn't seem rite to listen to them anymore :(

atleast ur good...
thought i had the songs on the first day am holding myself from listening to it even one round...
nammala nenachu paarunga...

hosanna promovae oru naalaikku 100 murai ketta aalu naanu

sha
4th May 2010, 05:13 PM
here u go

Kedakkari and Kaattu Sirukki

SoftSword
4th May 2010, 05:21 PM
here u go

ya just checked...
the singing style and lyrics sound too folkish... :?
is that the overall tone of the movie?

sha
4th May 2010, 05:22 PM
these are for sure composed in tamil first,,

no repetition like behne de 10 times, and ranhja ranhja 20 times here,, it flows brilliantly.. VM and ARR rocks ..

SoftSword
4th May 2010, 05:29 PM
these are for sure composed in tamil first,,

no repetition like behne de 10 times, and ranhja ranhja 20 times here,, it flows brilliantly.. VM and ARR rocks ..

i wonder if there will be too much overpadding of lyrics... but i am sure that i will be proved wrong...

littlemaster1982
4th May 2010, 05:35 PM
ya just checked...
the singing style and lyrics sound too folkish... :?
is that the overall tone of the movie?

Yes. Hindi songs sound the same too.

lancelot
4th May 2010, 06:25 PM

atleast ur good...
thought i had the songs on the first day am holding myself from listening to it even one round...
nammala nenachu paarunga...

hosanna promovae oru naalaikku 100 murai ketta aalu naanu

let me try saying this in tamil

enngayo poyittina neenga.... :notworthy:

lancelot
4th May 2010, 06:33 PM
here u go

Kedakkari sounds amazing...

but, is it me or do we find Anurada Shriram's voice annoying in Kaattu Sirukki? oh please dont be annoying... Raanja Raanja is my favorite track