Theatrical Trailer

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gWpvdXMxTLQ&feature=player_embedded

Running time?

sha
4th May 2010, 06:53 PM
2 mins

sha
4th May 2010, 07:04 PM
damn,, its already available for download.

Mahen
4th May 2010, 07:59 PM
Theatrical Trailer

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gWpvdXMxTLQ&feature=player_embedded

:x ravanan-nu nenachen :)

Mahen
4th May 2010, 08:51 PM
will be drowning in RAvanan tonight 8-) will post comments tomorrow..good night rahmaniacs..keep this thread busy :)

VinodKumar's
4th May 2010, 09:02 PM
Usuraey poguthey :cry2: :notworthy: :happydance:

VinodKumar's
4th May 2010, 09:07 PM
Usuraey poguthey :cry2: :notworthy: :happydance:

Lyrics yetho thappa nyayapaduthura maari irruku :?

SoftSword
4th May 2010, 09:22 PM
now i agree that the lyrics written in tamil first

jinju
4th May 2010, 09:26 PM
finally i get to listen to the tamil...had a couple of listens to both versions...tamil leagues aheaaaaaaaadddddddddddddd :thumbsup: !!! VM :thumbsup: kata kata rocksssssssss!

except for the veera lyrics...if someone comprehended the lines after Veera Veera please post here, i cudn't make out anything!!! :cry:

SoftSword
4th May 2010, 09:27 PM
finally i get to listen to the tamil...had a couple of listens to both versions...tamil leagues aheaaaaaaaadddddddddddddd :thumbsup: !!! VM :thumbsup: kata kata rocksssssssss!

except for the veera lyrics...if someone comprehended the lines after Veera Veera please post here, i cudn't make out anything!!! :cry:

itta peru veera...
patta peru nooraa...

jinju
4th May 2010, 09:33 PM

itta peru veera...
patta peru nooraa...

woAAAHHHH...thanks SS!

thalaivaaaa pinnitteenga ponga :notworthy:

maddy am surprised to nuts that u felt underwhelmed after a first listen to this album?! :shock: this is a steal, a real treasure, evidence that the best of thalaivar is saved for the mani sir always! am running out of words to review this or pass a comment on this album...as anand's siggy says "chinna pasanga neenga, yaar kitta?" :D

baba88
4th May 2010, 09:34 PM
kaatu sirukki lyrics sound a bit strange i feel. especially the line "kaatru sirukki, yaar kaatru sirukki ival"

Rocky89
4th May 2010, 09:46 PM
link pls :) :oops:

inetk
4th May 2010, 09:48 PM
Random thoughts on Tamil Raavanan - I strongly think the Tamil version is a retro-fit job. But, that could also be a factor of the number of times I've heard the Hindi version and soaked myself in it. Some possible lyrical lapses point to a scenario where the songs were composed as Hindi songs first - http://bit.ly/be7uAM

shocker
4th May 2010, 10:20 PM
That Kaatu Sirikki vocals is revolting :oops:

Guess_Me
4th May 2010, 10:53 PM
Anuradha ruined Kattu Sirikki :(

Why didn't ARR use Madhushree or Shreya?

shocker
4th May 2010, 11:04 PM
Has anyone else noticed how much additional programming is done by other people. Also arrangements on one song is done by another guy....Leads me to wonder, how much of ARR are we actually hearing.

lancelot
4th May 2010, 11:06 PM

I KNOW, I KNOW, I KNOW :@ I HATE HER!!!! Didn't ARR realize that she sucks after she sang (screamed) the song?

littlemaster1982
4th May 2010, 11:42 PM
Usurey Poguthey is a delight :notworthy: :notworthy:

Yathu
4th May 2010, 11:43 PM
Kodu poatta!!! :redjump: :shoot: :2thumbsup:
So much energy in this song! The interludes just hit you out of nowhere and the ending, POW! Love it. (Do they blow Vikram's trumpet at the end? "Chiyaan kaata thoondi paatha, semman oothu rathamthan". My Tamil isn't the best so maybe I'm hearing it wrong? :? )

Kalvare - BEAUTIFUL. Shreya G :thumbsup:

Keda Kari - Much better than the Hindi version for me. Maybe 'cos I understand it. Some of the sounds seem a bit different too?

Usure pogudhe - needs a few more listens but liking what I'm hearing.

Kaatu Siriki - Have to agree with the majority opinion. Really had high hopes for this combo. :oops:

My picks are Kodu Poatta, Kalvare & Keda Kari. :D

Yathu
4th May 2010, 11:47 PM
Has anyone else noticed how much additional programming is done by other people. Also arrangements on one song is done by another guy....Leads me to wonder, how much of ARR are we actually hearing.

Sorry if the answers obvious but I've always wondered what these additional programmers and arrangers do exactly. :? How much input do they have to the final product? What's their job description?

shocker
5th May 2010, 12:06 AM
Hey I'm with you on that as well.

Though an educated guess from me would be that the arranger does the interludes, and additional programmers do midi works and such (chords etc).
I could be completely off track though!

ykrrajan
5th May 2010, 12:14 AM
The lyrics by VM for Raavanan is major let down. While Gulzar penned magnificently for the Hindi Version VM could not match it.

I expected much but the fact is that Gulzar wins. It hurts but it is true.

1. Kaattu Sirukki - Anuradha as usual stretches too much and the rustic feel by Rekha Bharathwaj.

Javed Ali unanimously wins.

The reason could be the lyrics . It looks like a fit in for Hindi song.

Result - Raanjha Raanjha

2. Kodu Potta - Lyrics matches almost but the raw Revolutionary lyrics like "Sehthe sehthe ab tho gardan rakhkar chal aathe hain"
by Gulzar makes the mood for this song much better than Kodu Potta Konnu Podu.

Sukhwinder has the raw voice with the extra energy. If u had heard the song "Ruth aa gayee re" from Earth he would have pumped in some extra feelings. Same is the case here. Feel that Benny Dayal's voice was a bit sophisticated here.

Result - Thok de Khilli

3.Veera - Lyrics once again. "Beera ke dus maathe beera ke dus naam" straightway raises the Adrenalin. But here the lyrics "Keeta peru nooraa" did not do it. May be Hindi was heard first.

Result - Beera edges Veera.

4.Kalvarey - Here the lyrics , singer and the mood are maintained to that of Khili re.

Result - kalvarey edges Khili re only because of Shreya else would have been a tie or otherwise.

5.Keda kari - Lyrics again a culprit. expected on the lines of Veera Paandi Kottaiyiley . Hope I was expecting too much.

Kata Kata had the Northern (UP folk) and lyrics ably supported it.

The singers didnt make any impression.

Result - Kata Kata

6.Usure Poguthey - What to say after hearing a gem in Behne de was expecting a haunting number in Tamil on the lines of "Kadhal Rojavey" but am very much disappointed.

Karthik in Behne de beats him in Usurey.

Result - Behne De

As per my listenings, I would rate Raavan beats Raavanan and Gulzar wins handsomely.

Score 5:1

May be I expected too much but was let down too much.

Yathu
5th May 2010, 12:33 AM
Though an educated guess from me would be that the arranger does the interludes, and additional programmers do midi works and such (chords etc).

I don't think the arrangers do the whole interludes. :shock:
The interludes are indentifying features of ARRs songs.

Hmmm, maybe someone here knows what they do? Our old hubber Thineshan might, he's a budding composer. He might even have a personal arranger himself. :lol:

shocker
5th May 2010, 12:42 AM

I don't think the arrangers do the whole interludes. :shock:
The interludes are indentifying features of ARRs songs.

Hmmm, maybe someone here knows what they do? Our old hubber Thineshan might, he's a budding composer. He might even have a personal arranger himself. :lol:

I mean on the credits it specifies he only did the arranging for one song, so it is very possible he did the interludes for that song. But again, anyone with better knowledge please fill us in!

shocker
5th May 2010, 12:44 AM
I completely agree with the above post about lyrics. They tamil lyrics just lack any sort of impact on the listener. Especially the Kattu Suriki song, that terrible warbling voice doubled with some weird crammed in lyric is a recipe for disaster.

vibinrajmani
5th May 2010, 01:43 AM
Is it just me or is everyone skipping Kaatu Sirukki? I am still getting used to the lyrics :D I made that grave mistake in listening to the hindi version first.

vibinrajmani
5th May 2010, 01:51 AM
Keda Kaari is brilliant in tamil with the south indian instruments coming to the fore!!

Scale
5th May 2010, 03:01 AM
ada raaman naa... raaman!
raavanna... raavanan!
rendum naan rendum then... rendum then....
raaman then raavanan then....
raaman then raavanan then..... :musicsmile:

:ringtone changed:

VM, Other songs may gain some lyrical attention in parts but en usurey poiduchi! Its unfortunate poor VM wasn't explicated/risked to the beauty of 'Behne De................' and got struck in thekkumara-theekuchi's love story.

Mahen
5th May 2010, 06:07 AM
Overall ravanan scores above raavan :) Except for kattu siriki(could not match ranja ranja), the rest of the songs rock...Kalvare is sooo damn sweet in tamil..Shreya G :notworthy:

Usurey poguthey takes you to a different world.. :clap: :clap:

Kedda kedda :thumbsup: ARR has changed the instrument used for the interludes to give a South indian feel

vibinrajmani
5th May 2010, 06:29 AM
Overall ravanan scores above raavan :) Except for kattu siriki(could not match ranja ranja), the rest of the songs rock...Kalvare is sooo damn sweet in tamil..Shreya G :notworthy:

Usurey poguthey takes you to a different world.. :clap: :clap:

Kedda kedda :thumbsup: ARR has changed the instrument used for the interludes to give a South indian feel

Genius move from Thalaivar if you ask me. :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

A.ANAND
5th May 2010, 08:41 AM
Look lot of positive review 4 tamil version! :D my review coming soon!

jinju
5th May 2010, 08:46 AM
Keda Kaari is brilliant in tamil with the south indian instruments coming to the fore!!

wins hands down over kata kata for me....be it singing, music, or the lyrics...except for anuradha sriram's screaming and the Beera lyrics being superior to Veera version, raavanan easily over raavan for me...it helped that i patiently waited all these days for the tamil version and didnt listen to the hindi version first i guess! :D

Ramakrishna
5th May 2010, 10:18 AM
Kodu pottaa is a failure :sad: ....benny couldn't match Sukhwinder.

Usirey poguthey is average

lancelot
5th May 2010, 10:20 AM
am trying... trying really hard to get used to the screaming voice of Anuradha Sriram.... but its so hard!!! she is so annoying.... :(

Ramakrishna
5th May 2010, 10:25 AM
Dunno how my favourite song jaa re ud jaa re is gonna sound in tamil... Damn, why couldn't they release it in the cd

littlemaster1982
5th May 2010, 10:34 AM
Kodu pottaa is a failure :sad: ....benny couldn't match Sukhwinder.

Usirey poguthey is average

I wish ARR gets rid of Benny Dayal. He is very very ordinary. Usurey Poguthey was good.

ajaybaskar
5th May 2010, 10:37 AM
Benny joins the list of singers who are to be got ridden by ARR. The first on the list though is Blaaze..

Rocky89
5th May 2010, 10:45 AM
The only song impressed me on the 1st day of listening is Veera.

Lovely song, ended up listening 30 times or so :D

but i think this song slightly resembles that of couples retreat's song (nana) . :?

MADDY
5th May 2010, 10:57 AM
tamil version has the tune-fitting words but still is very dull compared to hindi.......there are at places where words stretch beyond comfort of tune....i donno if it was a fair ground given to VM.........

*any opinions on ARR albums are bound to change radically though

Appu s
5th May 2010, 11:03 AM
As of now Keda kari,kalvare,Usurey poguthey :thumbsup:

Yathu
5th May 2010, 12:50 PM
Above + Kodu Poatta. :D

I think Benny sounds pretty good in this, but yeah I think ARR is starting to overuse him.

A.ANAND
5th May 2010, 01:04 PM
1.usurey poguthey - brilliant!hindi-la ketta athey feeling kartik :notworthy: :notworthy: kalakithaiyya!

2.kodu potta-great job by benny good choice 4 this song!feel better than hindi :clap:

3.kedda kari-another brilliant number! :2thumbsup:

4.kaatu siriki -romba ethirpathen intha song tamil-la eppadi varum innu!kavutu putta in anuradha! :hammer: nalla vela shankar mahadevan vanthu konjam save pannitaru! :D

5.kalvare -shreya :musicsmile: but VM avaroda athimethavi tamil pulamaya intha intha song-la ippadi nammala varutu edukanuma?? :banghead: horrible

but overall my though tamil version far better than hindi!but feel sila hindi song better tamil!

songs ellam tarumara hit aagum enbathu ennudaiya nambikkai! :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy:

A.ANAND
5th May 2010, 01:05 PM
*any opinions on ARR albums are bound to change radically though -MADDY

rajasaranam
5th May 2010, 01:42 PM
Was eagerly waiting for Raavanan after listening to Raavan. But Raavanan falls flat before Raavan. The lyrical quality in Tamil sucks. There has to be a ban on Vairamuthu! He is surviving only because of his connections, All Gas no S***.

raghavendran
5th May 2010, 02:02 PM
Was eagerly waiting for Raavanan after listening to Raavan. But Raavanan falls flat before Raavan. The lyrical quality in Tamil sucks. There has to be a ban on Vairamuthu! He is surviving only because of his connections, All Gas no S***. :shock: :shock:

Sanjeevi
5th May 2010, 02:12 PM
Usure Poguthey by Karthik is growing on me and has shades of Ennure (Uyire) especially in some orchestration and the feel.

It is a good album though yet to listen 'kedda kari'

And the worst part of the album is Anuradha Sriram, she couldn't :(. Wondering why ARR has chosen her.

Lyrics are so so :o . VM badly showed the sign of his exit but I hope it is not.

A.ANAND
5th May 2010, 02:20 PM
Was eagerly waiting for Raavanan after listening to Raavan. But Raavanan falls flat before Raavan. The lyrical quality in Tamil sucks. There has to be a ban on Vairamuthu! He is surviving only because of his connections, All Gas no S***. :shock: :shock:

enn oru kola veri! :lol: raghavendran, ithellam salichi pochu enggalukku!ivangga kitta irunthu ithathan naama ethirpaaka mudiyum! :)

lancelot
5th May 2010, 02:34 PM
4.kaatu siriki -romba ethirpathen intha song tamil-la eppadi varum innu!kavutu putta in anuradha! :hammer: nalla vela shankar mahadevan vanthu konjam save pannitaru! :D

my thoughts exactly. thanx to Shankar Mahadevan that song is somewhat tolerable. Anuradha is just so annoying :(

Kumarappa
5th May 2010, 02:51 PM
I think the Hindi version wins hands down over the Tamil version, though I've hardly listened to Hindi and listened very often to Tamil ones. Kaattu sirikki and KOdu POtta :lol2: :banghead: both pull the Tamil album down IMO. Anuradha and Benny-a oora vittu thorathanum! :evil: Lyrics kooda :sigh2: (at places!) The better Tamil songs are Kalvare and esp. and definitely Keda Kari! The latter is a blast in Tamil! :2thumbsup:

mahen01
5th May 2010, 03:22 PM
Anuradha sriram should'nt be sing and spoil good songs. she only deserves street songs from composers like deva..
she spoilt katu siruki

Kavalare Lyrics doesnt gel with the song. Vairamuthu to be blamed and sheriya has to take some blame as well. Instrumants and humming in that song is too Hindi ish..

Usire poguthey, Kodu pota lyrics are good and suits the song.

Veera - although lyrics are good and gel with the song, the Hindi lyrics makes it feel like dubbed song.

Overall it feels like north indian album... already I was fedup with the delay.. Its only getting worse.. I will have to think twice before buy the cd.. I would rather buy VTV 2nd time.

mahen01
5th May 2010, 03:22 PM
Anuradha sriram is a real pain in the ***

mahen01
5th May 2010, 03:29 PM
But Usirey poguthe is a class song. Im sure its better than Hindi version... I think Kodu pota and veera too is better in Tamil..

raghavendran
5th May 2010, 04:12 PM
well i didnt listen t hindi version yet becasuse i want to listen tamil first...if i listened to tamizh second then it would always b next to hindi only
but its quite a let down...
1.)veera....song is very catchy...but wat has vm done???...raman,raavanan..2perum..wat lyrics is it??? :evil:
2.)usure pogudhe-need more listenings though...nice job by karthik...visually 1 can imagine
3.)kodu poatta..bennydhaan padnaarunnu audio cover pathadhaan theriyudhu..a different attempt.but again need multiple listenings
4.)kattu sirukki-anuradha :evil: :banghead: :rant: :devil: ...kola pannittange....most irritating female voice in a song ever heard...shankar is the sole saviour.
5.)kalvare...nice job by shreya...its a gud song... :D
6.)kedakkari-- female singers padumbodhu supera irukku...beats- :notworthy: :notworthy: ..
overall...a rather suprising album...containig so much of folkish numbers..cant find any of those classic arr-mani songs yet..but with arr...few more listenings..1 wil get addicted...thats been the case so far...it wil b the case again with this also :thumbsup:

Mahen
5th May 2010, 06:22 PM
http://www.bollywoodhungama.com/features/2010/05/05/6201/index.html

"In Raavan we have used a lot of African vocals and sounds" - A.R.Rahman Click here to add this article to My Clips

By Nikhil Ramsubramaniam, May 5, 2010 - 12:34 IST

A R Rahman He is a man of few words yet his music does all the talking. Directors from Bollywood as well as Hollywood wish to have him compose music for their films yet his super-busy schedule allows him to green-light only a handful of projects. Over the last couple of years, he has bagged every possible award from the Padma Bhushan to the BAFTA's and the Grammy to the Oscars yet he remains as humble as ever. Last week he once again gave his millions of fans a reason to cheer in the form of the spectacular musical score of Raavan. He is none other than Allah Rakha Rahman- the man who eats, breathes and (whenever he) sleeps music. Bollywood Hungama's Nikhil Ramsubramaniam caught up with the Musical Maestro for an exclusive interview to talk about the experience of composing music for Raavan, his special bonding with Mani Ratnam, his much talked about world tour and much more. Read on...

18 years after debuting with Mani Ratnam's Roja, you are back once again with Mani for Raavan. How has the journey been?
It's all been very good and exciting. The thing with Mani is that he receives every idea with great respect. It's not just the usual "Give me 5 tunes for my film" We try to explore various avenues while composing the music in the interest of the film.

In spite of your super-busy schedule you always manage to take out time for a Mani Ratnam project. You have composed music for all his films. What is it about Mani that makes it difficult for you to say 'No' to him?
After a point I think you understand exactly what a person needs and what is it that he actually wants. It's pretty much the case between Mani and I. However having said that, getting such vibes and sharing such a comfort level with someone is easier said than done. By the grace of God we've pulled it so far and continue to do so in the future (smiles).

In case of Raavan, we have used a lot of African vocals and sounds in some of the songs keeping with the mood and theme of the film
The one word synonymous with your music is Experimentation. So what kind of experimentation have you tried in Raavan?
I don't think in terms of experimentation in each project that I do. I just go with a theme that will make the project sound exciting. In case of Raavan, we have used a lot of African vocals and sounds in some of the songs keeping with the mood and theme of the film.

The music of Raavan released last amidst much fanfare. There are 6 tracks in the album. Could you take us through each of the tracks in your own words and explain the essence of songs...

When we set out to compose 'Beera Beera', we didn't want to make the song or the character seem dark. We wanted 'Beera' to be liked by everyone
'Beera Beera'

'Beera' is a song that describes the lead character played by Abhishek Bachchan. When we set out to compose this song, we didn't want to make the song or the character seem dark. We wanted 'Beera' to be liked by everyone. He is someone who has a point of view, it may be wrong according to some sections of the society but when you see the film you will realize his justification for the same. The song is like a celebration of his character.

'Behne De'

Karthik sang this song as a scratch. At that point in time, we didn't know if we were going to retain it but everyone seemed to like the version and we did retain it. We also added some background vocals by Mohammed Irfan to give a different edge to the song. It's not your usual typical song.

There is a different version of Ranjha Ranjha sung by Ila Arun and Richa Sharma that features in the film
'Ranjha Ranjha'

'Ranjha Ranjha' is an idea that I had done earlier but gave it a skip. It's poetry of Baba Bulleshah. Though the song that you hear in the album (sung by Rekha Bhardwaj, Javed Ali and Anuradha Sriram) doesn't feature in the movie, we have created another version of the song that is sung by Ila Arun and Richa Sharma which would be featured in the film. This version has been shot beautifully and works better for the film.

'Thok De Khilli'

'Thok De Khilli' of course has Sukhwinder at his energetic best. He is simply a powerhouse of energy and talent. However, in this song he didn't get a chance to improvise a lot as he had to fit his vocals to match the form of the song. In spite of that he has done a fabulous job

A R Rahman 'Kata Kata'

'Kata Kata' is a very typical Mani Ratnam style song. In every film of his you have this folk celebration kind of song like you had 'Chalka Chalka Re' in Saathiya or for that matter 'Rukmani Rukmani' in Roja. However, this time we have given it a different feel and it was really an enjoyable process composing this track

'Khilli Re'

'Khilli Re' has been sung by Reena Bhardwaj who earlier sang 'Yeh Rishta' from Meenaxi. She has got a beautiful voice which suited the song perfectly. She is a very talented singer who certainly deserves more opportunities in the future.

During the music launch you also surprised everyone by composing and singing a new additional song 'Jaa Re Udd Jaa Re'. Is that song going to be added later in the album or featured in the film?
The song was a very last minute addition. I saw the movie and felt like adding a song to a particular situation in the film. The lyrics of the song were ready for a while however I had to yet compose the tune. Meanwhile we had already planned our music release for the 24th of April so we didn't want to delay or postpone that because of one song. The song may be later added to the album; however it would feature in the film.

There is a certain kind of affinity that Gulzar saab has for Mani and me. When he works with us, he is always very happy. I think when you are happy working as a team, it shows on the result of the end product
In every album of yours a striking aspect is zeroing in on the right singers for the right song. How do you manage to do that?
Well...to be honest, I don't know (smiles). Most of the time, it's not planned. I just look at who would suit the song and more importantly who is available at that point of time.

So do you have multiple singers recording scratch versions and then you taking a call on whom to consider for the final version?
Well... No we don't actually do that. Usually its just one or two times that we rehearse the song before recording except for directors like Abbas Tyrewala who is very particular about getting the right voice. Most of his songs are recorded about 6 - 7 times (smiles)

In Raavan, you once again re-unite with Gulzar saab after the Oscar winning score in Slumdog Millionaire. How is it working with him time and again?
There is a certain kind of affinity that Gulzar saab has for Mani and me. When he works with us, he is always very happy. I think when you are happy working as a team, it shows on the result of the end product.

I am really excited about the world tour as its going to have some really spectacular and different production values
In June, you embark on your world tour called The A.R.Rahman Jai Ho Concert...The Journey Home. Tell us something about that and why is it called 'The Journey Home'
It's called The Journey Home because even though it's a World Tour, it's going to feature a repertoire of songs from my 18 year old career. We are not going to go with the obvious way of mainly performing English songs just because it's a world tour. I am really excited about the tour as its going to have some really spectacular and different production values. A lot of money has gone into that and a lot of Western artists have been working on giving the tour a whole new feel. The show is also directed very differently giving a whole new perspective to my music and to our country.

So who are the singers who are going to be a part of this tour?
There is Hariharan, Javed Ali, Shweta Pandit, Benny Dayal, Blaaze besides my usual troupe comprising of Sivamani on percussion, Naveen on the flute etc.

Over the last couple of years Rahmania has reached an all time high with you bagging the BAFTA's, the Golden Globes, the Oscars and the Grammys. Closer home there were awards like the Padma Bhushan, Indian Of The Year etc. Is there a special section where you keep all your awards?
There is a place in the office for them but once you get an award it's a thing of the past. You just keep marching on and look forward to the future

A R Rahman Now that the music of Raavan has released, what are your future projects?
After Raavan, there is a Telugu film called Puli. Then there is Shankar's Robot and Abbas Tyrewala's 1-800 Love.

Are you also composing the music for Imtiaz Ali's Rockstar?
Yes...we've just started. In fact we just finished out first sitting. It's a great experience working with a team comprising Irshad Kamil and Imtiaz Ali.

After Raavan, there is a Telugu film Puli, and then there is Robot, 1-800 Love and Imtiaz Ali's Rockstar
How is your pet project KM Music Conservatory doing?
It's doing really well. We just signed up with Middlesex University to oversee the whole education. We are expanding and going to a larger campus very soon.

Finally we know that you listen to all kinds of music. So what's currently playing on your iPod?
Well...I've been listening to Susan Boyle's album, Kumar Gandharva's songs and Coldplay. Besides I am always listening to my songs while mixing (smiles).

shocker
5th May 2010, 06:41 PM
As as I said upon hearing the Hindi version, VTV would be miles ahead of Raavanan.
Every single song on VTV is amazing musically and lyrically. Each song can be listened to repeatedly. Not the case with the latest effort though unfortunately. As ARR fans we expect only the best.

ajaybaskar
5th May 2010, 07:29 PM
Shocker,

Its too early to decide on the quality of an ARR album. Agreed, VTV is a gem. But Raavan is great in its own right. I am sure that your present day opinion about this album is bound to change when the film releases... :-)

A.ANAND
5th May 2010, 07:50 PM
Shocker,

Its too early to decide on the quality of an ARR album. Agreed, VTV is a gem. But Raavan is great in its own right. I am sure that your present day opinion about this album is bound to change when the film releases... :-)

:exactly: vtv kuda first vanthabothu romba kadumaiya coment pannavangga ippa masterpiece,gem innu sollaranga.i'm sure same thing will happen for ravanan! :yes:

enna onnu VMthan konjam over doss koduthutaru!pavam thalaivar enna pannuvaru! :(

Benny Lava
5th May 2010, 07:56 PM
Not long ago most of us doubted VTV :D

Anyway, my fanatism for slow songs has gotten better of me once again... I am absolutely in love with Khilli Re. Haven't listened to tamil version much, but from the few listens I can say that Shreya G is awesome as always.

A.ANAND
5th May 2010, 07:59 PM
[tscii:e6ee274a27]Raavan vs Raavanan!

The hype and hoopla surrounding Mani Ratnam¡¯s Raavan audio launch in Mumbai was fantastic. The film¡¯s marketing heads ensured that it was the event of the year with the film¡¯s hero Abhishek Bachchan and its music director A R Rahman performing on stage. The buzz on the Internet at that time was phenomenal and, though reviews were mixed, the music went on to become a superhit.

However, there seems to be little buzz about the audio of the film¡¯s Tamil version (Raavanan), which had a soft launch yesterday. The audio made it straight to music stores with no official big-ticket launch that one would usually expect of an eagerly- awaited album like Raavanan which is Mani¡¯s 10th film with the Mozart of Madras. Audio industry trackers state that the ARR-Mani combo has been the highest selling in Tamil film history since Roja hit the screens in 1992. Close on the heels of this combo, according to them, are the ARR-Shankar and Harris Jayaraj-Gautham Menon combinations.

An audio trade source says, ¡°Mani sir wanted the unique music of Raavanan to catch on with the audience. It is something totally different from Mani-ARR¡¯s earlier ventures, and will take time to capture the minds of music lovers who are fed on a diet of dapankuthu. Music from the Tamil version is now enjoying major airplay on radio channels. A record 1.10 lakh audio CDs of the film have flooded the markets in Tamil Nadu and the response has been phenomenal. ¡±

Meanwhile, sources close to the production house state that there will be a special Raavanan promo meet on May 14 in Chennai. During this do, Vikram and Priyamani will perform under the watchful eyes of A R Rahman and Mani Ratnam for select invitees and the press. We understand that the date has been fixed keeping Rahman¡¯s busy schedule and availability in mind.

When contacted, Vikram said, ¡°There is only one word to describe the music of the film, and it¡¯s ¡®awesome¡¯. Like all Rahman compositions, the tunes will slowly grow on the listener. There will be heavy promotions in the coming days for Raavanan. I always promote my films aggressively, irrespective of the language; just wait and watch.¡±

The grapevine has it that for the first time Vikram will be going on a world tour from June 1, to promote Raavan and Raavanan, his ¡°ultimate litmus test as an actor¡±, because he is playing Ram and Raavanan in the two versions of the film!
[/tscii:e6ee274a27]

shocker
5th May 2010, 08:01 PM
A few of us believed that VTV was a great album from the start, it got even better with more listens.

Listening to Raavanan at the moment is a headache because some of the lyrics are so random and ruin the song. Lyricist seems to have forgotten that less is more! This is all coming from a person who usually has no care about the lyrics.

A.ANAND
5th May 2010, 08:13 PM
A few of us believed that VTV was a great album from the start, it got even better with more listens.

Listening to Raavanan at the moment is a headache because some of the lyrics are so random and ruin the song. Lyricist seems to have forgotten that less is more! This is all coming from a person who usually has no care about the lyrics.

shocker,unggalukku ennthaiyya venum?? :cry: muthalla irunthey wrong -ahve poguthu ungga root-tu! :oops:

shocker
5th May 2010, 08:21 PM
Sorry, what do you find is wrong about what I am saying?

Mahen
5th May 2010, 08:29 PM
Bought the cd :) no regrets 8-)

Mahen
5th May 2010, 08:36 PM

ITs very unfair to blame Anuradha..why cant ARR take the blame :huh: Im sure he wanted her to sing in that way...SAd to see some ppl passing negative comments about her... have you guys forgotten her ishq bina from taal?marakamudiyuma? :twisted:

Yathu
5th May 2010, 08:58 PM
Yeah some of the comments are a bit too harsh.

Thiru
5th May 2010, 09:04 PM
Listened to Raavan a few times and then listened to Raavanan today...

First of all, I agree with a few others here who say that Raavan(an) doesn't stand up to VTV.. Most of the songs probably blend well in the movie and will be good to watch along with the video... Ranjha Ranjha and Bheera were my two picks... I'm not dissing away other songs but I think you will start to like the songs better after you watch the movie..

Anyway, it was painful to listen to Raavanan today.. Can Mani-ARR please stop this nonsense of scoring music for the hindi version and plugging in tamil lyrics... almost every song has terrible lyrics.. (nadhari paya mavan, rendum thaan raaman thaan raavanan thaan).. They did the same mistake with Guru.. I think I will eventually stop listening to Raavanan and go back to Raavan.. Really Disappointed :( ..

ajaybaskar
5th May 2010, 09:08 PM
In fact, I am now used to Anuradha's song.. Kovappadra alavukku avanga mosamaa paadalaingradhu en karuthu. :-)

VinodKumar's
5th May 2010, 09:11 PM
In fact, I am now used to Anuradha's song.. Kovappadra alavukku avanga mosamaa paadalaingradhu en karuthu. :-)

Antha maari voice thevangarathu nala thaan avangala paada vachangangarathu en karuthu :)

shocker
5th May 2010, 09:32 PM

ITs very unfair to blame Anuradha..why cant ARR take the blame :huh: Im sure he wanted her to sing in that way...SAd to see some ppl passing negative comments about her... have you guys forgotten her ishq bina from taal?marakamudiyuma? :twisted:

It is true, some are very defensive of AR. We can love his music, we can be fans, but that doesn't mean we have to be delusional. He has done so much good work, but that doesn't mean he is immune to criticism.

Thunai
5th May 2010, 09:33 PM
Mark my words, the forthcoming films, "Raktha Charitha" and "Rajneethi" are gonna overthrow RAAVAN the very first days of its release. The promos of the aforementioned films are FANTABULOUS and are miles ahead of latter's trailer/teaser... :think:

VinodKumar's
5th May 2010, 09:39 PM
Mark my words, the forthcoming films, "Raktha Charitha" and "Rajneethi" are gonna overthrow RAAVAN the very first days of its release. The promos of the aforementioned films are FANTABULOUS and are miles ahead of latter's trailer/teaser... :think:

Promos lam Mani/Rehman/Aish kitta nerunga mudiyaathu. Ithula oruthar irunthavae padathuku kootam varum moonu peru na paathukonga.

What's so special you found in Raktha Charitha trailer? Barath Banth remake oda trailer maari irruku.

sathya_1979
5th May 2010, 09:40 PM
Thunai, neenga unga karutha solreengalaa yosikkireengalaa?

sathya_1979
5th May 2010, 09:42 PM
Marked, next negative post please! Difficult to keep count of the number of uyandha uLLangaL wishing for this movie to be flop :D

Appu s
5th May 2010, 09:45 PM
:lol: :rotfl2: Sorry bro can't resist.

Appu s
5th May 2010, 09:47 PM
Guys, please allow the review from our fellow fans.A.Anand, let shocker post his view about songs. force pannathenga ethaium...

Kumarappa
5th May 2010, 10:00 PM

Antha maari voice thevangarathu nala thaan avangala paada vachangangarathu en karuthu :)

Appadi irunthum avanga paadurathu nallA illaengrathu en karuthu :) It's obvious that ARR wanted to have a Rekha Bhardwaj-like singer for Tamil too, andha vagaila avanga voice thaan porutham, but still her singing is a bit :? Would prefer Ranjha ranjha anyday, padathula paarthA it might give a different feel perhaps. IMO Thok de killi and ranjha ranjha beat its Tamil counterparts.

About RC and Rajneeti? :lol2: :lol2: :lol: (I tried to control...) No comments...

Appu s
5th May 2010, 10:10 PM
Hindi movie-la rekha bharadwaj version illama, Richa
sharma-odathu irukira mathri.. Tamizh-laium different
version irukkuma? :roll:

viraajan
5th May 2010, 11:14 PM
Listened to Tamil version!

ARR :bow:

Extraordinary performance by Karthik and Shreya in their tracks! :bow:

The hindi 'impact' is still there! :roll: Not able to enjoy Tamil songs thoroughly :(

Either I should stop listening to Hindi versions and get used to Tamil songs. Or, I should stick to Hindi!

viraajan
5th May 2010, 11:17 PM
The 'feel' in Kalvare song, nAn nenaicha madiriyE Tamil version'la vandhirukku... Kudos to Shreya :bow:

Ramakrishna
5th May 2010, 11:29 PM
tamil songs - huge disappointment...Usirey poguthey lyrics thinichaa maathiri irukku...

Ramakrishna
5th May 2010, 11:33 PM
During the music launch you also surprised everyone by composing and singing a new additional song 'Jaa Re Udd Jaa Re'. Is that song going to be added later in the album or featured in the film?
The song was a very last minute addition. I saw the movie and felt like adding a song to a particular situation in the film. The lyrics of the song were ready for a while however I had to yet compose the tune. Meanwhile we had already planned our music release for the 24th of April so we didn't want to delay or postpone that because of one song. The song may be later added to the album; however it would feature in the film.

Please do it thalaivaa...This song is the best of Raavan..

Raavan (hindi) is much better than VTV....Jaa re ud jaa re song onnu pothum.

Thunai
5th May 2010, 11:43 PM

I think there is a psychological aspect favouring all of Rahman's albums.. Hating/not liking the songs in 1st listen and "getting used to it" later.....I mean, one will be IMPOSING oneself to like the songs rather than liking it naturally...

This type of a phenomenon did not prevail during the gud'old times.... Paattellaam oru thadavai kettaa meendum meendum ketka thondrum.... not for IMPOSING,..... :? but ENDURING.....!!!! :musicsmile:

ajaybaskar
5th May 2010, 11:54 PM
Ungalukku enna sir venum? Ulagathilaye mattamaana composer ARRthan. I'l acknowledge that wherever required, provided you don't come here again...

ajaybaskar
5th May 2010, 11:58 PM
I seriously think what makes these people spit venom on ARR! Is that because he brought the end of an otherwise unconquered reign? Or because he has got more accolades then any indian composer, living or dead?

Whenver an ARR album releases, people come from no where to post negative about the album. There has not been a wee bit of consideration that their posts would hurt ARR fans.. :-(

shocker
6th May 2010, 12:12 AM
Deleted due to a seemingly misunderstanding.

littlemaster1982
6th May 2010, 12:18 AM
Shocker,

Ajay's post was not about you :)

ajaybaskar
6th May 2010, 12:20 AM
Shocker,

You don't really know what's happening here.. Pls refrain yourself from this.. A friendly request. My post was not aimed at you...

Appu s
6th May 2010, 12:20 AM
Thunai ethukku intha Duplicate Id? nallavae theriuthu yaarunnu? :lol:

VinodKumar's
6th May 2010, 12:21 AM
Thunai ethukku intha Duplicate Id? nallavae theriuthu yaarunnu? :lol:

// Yaaru :roll: ?

shocker
6th May 2010, 12:22 AM
Shocker,

You don't really know what's happening here.. Pls refrain yourself from this.. A friendly request. My post was not aimed at you...

Oh would you care to explain what is happening then, for the rest of us also contributing to this thread?

littlemaster1982
6th May 2010, 12:22 AM
Guys,

Don't speculate the identites of new hubbers, if you are not sure.

Appu s
6th May 2010, 12:25 AM
Guys,

Vinod, no, thats not necessary.... Athu eppadi ella album release aakum pothum, pazhaya Ids-aa thoosi thatti eduthuttu varanga.

ajaybaskar
6th May 2010, 12:32 AM
LM,

Just saw all the 8 posts of Thunai. Appu sonnadhula edho unmai irukkuradha padudhu enakku...

ajaybaskar
6th May 2010, 12:34 AM
Shocker,

Oh would you care to explain what is happening then, for the rest of us also contributing to this thread?

Thanks for the concern buddy. But let me alone handle it.. :-)

Scale
6th May 2010, 12:36 AM
.... almost every song has terrible lyrics.. (nadhari paya mavan, rendum thaan raaman thaan raavanan thaan)..

? (http://www.ravanmovie.com/2010/05/raavanan-lyrics.html)

shocker
6th May 2010, 12:37 AM
Shocker,

Thanks for the concern buddy. But let me alone handle it.. :-)

No problem

Scale
6th May 2010, 12:39 AM
Thats in keda kari.

VinodKumar's
6th May 2010, 12:43 AM
Guys,

Vinod, no, thats not necessary.... Athu eppadi ella album release aakum pothum, pazhaya Ids-aa thoosi thatti eduthuttu varanga.

I am sorry. Oru curiosity la ketutaen :ashamed:

Ramakrishna
6th May 2010, 12:44 AM

I think there is a psychological aspect favouring all of Rahman's albums.. Hating/not liking the songs in 1st listen and "getting used to it" later.....I mean, one will be IMPOSING oneself to like the songs rather than liking it naturally...

This type of a phenomenon did not prevail during the gud'old times.... Paattellaam oru thadavai kettaa meendum meendum ketka thondrum.... not for IMPOSING,..... :? but ENDURING.....!!!! :musicsmile:

Not true... Even during the so-called good old times, majority of the songs had to grow on me and those are the songs i am listening to, most often, even now.

I rather prefer ARR composing these kind of songs than the instantly catchy ones.

It is not that i force myself to listen to these songs to grow on me. I find a lot of interesting elements in those songs which lure me back towards those songs. Since those elements were not familiar enough for me, they don't catch my attention on the first listen.

If he starts repeating the same stuffs, i might find some of them catchy but they may fade out eventually.

ajaybaskar
6th May 2010, 12:46 AM
Rama,

I think you are wasting your time... :-)

shocker
6th May 2010, 01:25 AM
Rama,

I think you are wasting your time... :-)

I thought he was making quite a good discussion! :D

Ramakrishna
6th May 2010, 01:28 AM
Veera - dubbing thaen dubbing thaen :|

Scale
6th May 2010, 01:42 AM
[tscii:71a63c13a1]:lol: Good one!

epdindren?... I dont see any similarities except the 100 names.

See this

Arey beera uthi aandhi.. Beera ek Toofan
Saans mein ugle agni Beera jalti jaan jalti jaan jalti jaan jalti jaan

Janam na pooche.. Jaat na pooche
Poocho jo pehchan..
Beera ka abhimaan hai
Abhimaan hai abhimaan hai Beera

Ada Raaman’na Raaman,
Raavanan’na Raavanan
Rendumnaa Rendumdaen..Rendundaen
Raamandaen Raavanandaen
Raamandaen Raavanandaen Veeraa..
En Porappa Nee Kanda
En Paathai Nee Kadantha
En Yutham Nee Senja
Nee Raamandaen Raavanandaen
Rendundaen, Rendundaen, Rendundaen Podaaa..
[/tscii:71a63c13a1]

Ramakrishna
6th May 2010, 01:48 AM
No, i am not talking about what the lyrics mean..The way the tune has been built around the lyrics....Hindi la irunthu apdiye copy panni paste panna maathiri irukku....Those african sounds didn't work in tamil....

Ramakrishna
6th May 2010, 01:51 AM
He has tried some variations for kata kata in tamil...That also turned bad.

Yathu
6th May 2010, 02:33 AM
It is true, some are very defensive of AR. We can love his music, we can be fans, but that doesn't mean we have to be delusional.

Thats the difference between a fan and a fanatic. :wink:
Well not so much being delusional but having faith, you could call it having blind faith in him. It's not unfounded either, it's based on ARR delivering time and again. It has come to a point where I can confidently say that ARR isn't going to release a substandard product.

He has done so much good work, but that doesn't mean he is immune to criticism.

ARRs never been immune to critisism. He's been criticised a lot by various parts of the media right from the start. I think it's only slightly dampened down after the Oscar win.

I think that's what bothers some people. :huh:

I seriously think what makes these people spit venom on ARR! Is that because he brought the end of an otherwise unconquered reign? Or because he has got more accolades then any indian composer, living or dead?

Whenver an ARR album releases, people come from no where to post negative about the album. There has not been a wee bit of consideration that their posts would hurt ARR fans.. :-(

I think these people just want to find faults in a good thing. Nothings allowed to near perfection. :sigh2:

Renault
6th May 2010, 02:44 AM
Guys,

Which version should I listen to - Hindi / Tamil?

The original will be better, IMHO Guru (hindi) was better than it's tamil version.

Scale
6th May 2010, 02:46 AM
athula entha doubtum illai. Song by Song I can easily identify the originality as the songs are composed prior in hindi and the final product is forwarded to VM to pen his own lyrics. For an instance if we cant digest this for just 2-3 songs imagine northies state which is aimed for broader and international releases.

Both are two different styles of writing. I would certainly not blame VM at this moment though I prefer hindi versions 'usurey pogudhey' and 'kalvare' has its own merits and easily appealing while others are hard to grasp on casual listening. With much more time available and MR's picturization I think things may change considerably well.

Scale
6th May 2010, 02:50 AM
Keda Kari is going to be a massive hit.

vibinrajmani
6th May 2010, 05:28 AM
He has tried some variations for kata kata in tamil...That also turned bad.

I personally think that it is those modulations that make the song a better listen in tamil :D

A.ANAND
6th May 2010, 08:38 AM
Ungalukku enna sir venum? Ulagathilaye mattamaana composer ARRthan. I'l acknowledge that wherever required, provided you don't come here again...

athu! :happydance:

venkkiram
6th May 2010, 09:11 AM
ராவணன் பாடல்கள் - என் முதல் பார்வை (http://forumhub.mayyam.com/hub/viewtopic.php?p=2114490&highlight=#2114490)

ajaybaskar
6th May 2010, 10:27 AM
It is true, some are very defensive of AR. We can love his music, we can be fans, but that doesn't mean we have to be delusional.

Thats the difference between a fan and a fanatic. :wink:
Well not so much being delusional but having faith, you could call it having blind faith in him. It's not unfounded either, it's based on ARR delivering time and again. It has come to a point where I can confidently say that ARR isn't going to release a substandard product.

He has done so much good work, but that doesn't mean he is immune to criticism.

ARRs never been immune to critisism. He's been criticised a lot by various parts of the media right from the start. I think it's only slightly dampened down after the Oscar win.

I think that's what bothers some people. :huh:

I think these people just want to find faults in a good thing. Nothings allowed to near perfection. :sigh2:

Yathu,

A la VTV Ganesh.. "En manasula ninnuttada thambi.. Nee ninnutta.." :D

Yes.. Cant agree more with your first point. I strongly believe that this is the best director-composer combo and they are not going to let their fans down with a mediocre product.

We, ARR fans welcome constructive criticism but not the otherway round. Time and again, there have been instances where new ids pop up from nowhere and post rubbish. I cant remain silent reading those posts.

vibinrajmani
6th May 2010, 10:59 AM
Usure pogudhe is my current favorite track. What an unbelievable song :clap: :musicsmile:

m_karthik
6th May 2010, 11:04 AM
Hi All,

I am an avid follower of this forum for a long time.. May be 5 or 6 Years...
May be Guru is the most controversial person last time around.. This time it might be Raavan(an). I do not like to write like Raavan(an). It should be ராவணன்.

I heard in both Hindi and Tamil. My playlist has both songs. It doesnt matter whether hindi scores above Tamil or the otherway round. No one in the forum asked about the Telugu version. Any Telugu guys around?

Bottom Line..

ராவணன் is rockingggggggggggggggggg.

Vairamuthu has done a neat job. Writing folkish lyrics with no english words is not a bad thing. People who don't understand the lyrics may be has a problem. May be they expect some lyrics like VTV or purely commercial. You will get that in Endhiran. Not with Mani-ARR-VM combo with a script like ராவணன். Most of us enjoyed Aaromale without knowing what it means including me.
Between, Nathari paya mavan is not worse than naan adicha thaanga maatta.

Kizhakku Seemaiyilae and Karuthamma has the starting words like
"Maanooththu Manthaiyile" , "Kathaazha Kaattu Vazhi" , "Edhukku Pondatti", "Porale Ponnuthayi", "Kadu Potta Kadu" . Those are not normal words used by the current generation. But they are chartbusters even now. May be Mani wanted to give a shot with what Bharathiraja tried and might thought that it will be refreshing this time.

Without this type of plot or imaginations, you can never get காட்டு சிறுக்கி(Ranjha Ranjha -even in hindi) or உசிரே போகுதே. Coming to காட்டு சிறுக்கி, actually Anuradha Sriram has small lyrical portion compared to Shankar Mahadevan. I bet no one in Tamil can sound like Rekha Bharadwaj. It's better Anuradha Sriram singing better tamil than Rekha spoiling the song with improper pronounciation.

In any day i prefer உசிரே போகுதே! than Shakalakkababy.

BTW, nowadays, MDs give tunes and Lyricist write lyrics... So it might be ARR giving tune to both Gulzar and VM at the same time and both of them write the lyrics at the same time. So i feel in no way that one language has more preference. If Mani wanted to discard Tamil, then he would have dubbed Ravan. He wont make that bilingual with his health problems.

Expect something different from all these biggies. hope they don't disappoint. People who are against these biggies will not hope this way. But it is good for Indian film industry if these guys hits a jackpot.

Sorry for the bigger first post.

MADDY
6th May 2010, 11:10 AM
Hi All,

May be Guru is the most controversial person last time around.. This time it might be Raavan(an). I do not like to write like Raavan(an). It should be ராவணன்.

I heard in both Hindi and Tamil. My playlist has both songs. It doesnt matter whether hindi scores above Tamil or the otherway round. No one in the forum asked about the Telugu version. Any Telugu guys around?

Bottom Line..

Vairamuthu has done a neat job. Writing folkish lyrics with no english words is not a bad thing. People who don't understand the lyrics may be has a problem. May be they expect some lyrics like VTV or purely commercial. You will get that in Endhiran. Not with Mani-ARR-VM combo with a script like ராவணன். Most of us enjoyed Aaromale without knowing what it means including me.

"Maanooththu Manthaiyile" , "Kathaazha Kaattu Vazhi" , "Edhukku Pondatti", "Porale Ponnuthayi", "Kadu Potta Kadu" . Those are not normal words used by the current generation. But they are chartbusters even now. May be Mani wanted to give a shot with what Bharathiraja tried and might thought that it will be refreshing this time.

Without this type of plot or imaginations, you can never get காட்டு சிறுக்கி(Ranjha Ranjha -even in hindi) or உசிரே போகுதே. Coming to காட்டு சிறுக்கி, actually Anuradha Sriram has small lyrical portion compared to Shankar Mahadevan. I bet no one in Tamil can sound like Rekha Bharadwaj. It's better Anuradha Sriram singing better tamil than Rekha spoiling the song with improper pronounciation.

BTW, nowadays, MDs give tunes and Lyricist write lyrics... So it might be ARR giving tune to both Gulzar and VM at the same time and both of them write the lyrics at the same time. So i feel in no way that one language has more preference. If Mani wanted to discard Tamil, then he would have dubbed Ravan. He wont make that bilingual with his health problems.

Expect something different from all these biggies. hope they don't disappoint. People who are against these biggies will not hope this way. But it is good for Indian film industry if these guys hits a jackpot.

excellent thought provking first post esp abt mani's health issues 8-)

vibinrajmani
6th May 2010, 11:10 AM
Hi All,

Bottom Line..

:lol: :lol:

Appu s
6th May 2010, 11:15 AM
"Maanooththu Manthaiyile" , "Kathaazha Kaattu Vazhi" , "Edhukku Pondatti", "Porale Ponnuthayi", "Kadu Potta Kadu" . Those are not normal words used by the current generation. But they are chartbusters even now. May be Mani wanted to give a shot with what Bharathiraja tried and might thought that it will be refreshing this time..

Good one :D :thumbsup:

I guess the problem here is,most of them were listened to Hindi first,so it may look like dubbed for them ,i started with tamil and i don feel anything like that.

Keda keda keda :musicsmile:

lancelot
6th May 2010, 11:20 AM
welcome m_karthik. hope your stay in The Hub is enjoyable. And awesome first post :)

dose anyone have the lyrics in English? would be very helpful :)

ajaybaskar
6th May 2010, 11:21 AM
Karthik,

Welcome to the forum...

Do post more in the future....

Scale
6th May 2010, 11:31 AM
aaha, now I really speculate this id. j/k :thumbsup:

Guru is a dubbed version while raavanan is with different cast. Its a smart move to have Vikram in both the version that would really kindle much more interest on screen. Vikram will really rock in all these songs.

"Iva Kannala Paatha Sanaki Amsam
Kattil Maela Paatha Soopanaga Vamsam
Fem Ch: Koora Chela Komari.. Kova Pazha Chivappu Naaga Pazha Karuppu.... Naathari Paya Mavan"

I like that female chorus. Damn Erotic!

Scale
6th May 2010, 11:41 AM
Why did they remove Sonu Nigam, Asha Bhosle, Kailash songs :lol2:

vibinrajmani
6th May 2010, 11:44 AM
Here is the promo for Usure Pogudhe:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wzYpv7I3KQM

jinju
6th May 2010, 11:47 AM
Good one :D :thumbsup:

I guess the problem here is,most of them were listened to Hindi first,so it may look like dubbed for them ,i started with tamil and i don feel anything like that.

Keda keda keda :musicsmile:

same here appu...i really cant comprehend this whole brouhaha over the tamil version! except for kodu potta (feel thok de khilli is superior) and anuradha sriram's shrieks in kaattu sirukki!

@lancelot, pras has posted usure poguthey, veera, n keda kari lyrics in english in the thread for Raavanan in the Tamil Films section...

jinju
6th May 2010, 11:49 AM
Why did they remove Sonu Nigam, Asha Bhosle, Kailash songs :lol2:

yeah sonu did vent his frustration on his song being omitted!

btb, which one did he sing? was it behne de or was ther any other song? :roll:

ajaybaskar
6th May 2010, 11:52 AM
With the audios of the films creating waves,it looks like itll soon be...

RAAVAN V/S RAAVANAN!

SREEDHAR PILLAI Times News Network

The hype and hoopla surrounding Mani Ratnam's Raavan audio launch in Mumbai was fantastic. The films marketing heads ensured that it was the event of the year with the films hero Abhishek Bachchan and its music director A R Rahman performing on stage. The buzz on the Internet at that time was phenomenal and, though reviews were mixed, the music went on to become a superhit. However, there seems to be little buzz about the audio of the films Tamil version (Raavanan ), which had a soft launch yesterday. The audio made it straight to music stores with no official big-ticket launch that one would usually expect of an eagerly- awaited album like Raavanan which is Manis 10th film with the Mozart of Madras. Audio industry trackers state that the ARR-Mani combo has been the highest selling in Tamil film history since Roja hit the screens in 1992. Close on the heels of this combo,according to them, are the ARR-Shankar and Harris Jayaraj-Gautham Menon combinations.

An audio trade source says, Mani sir wanted the unique music of Raavanan to catch on with the audience. It is something totally different from Mani-ARRs earlier ventures, and will take time to capture the minds of music lovers who are fed on a diet of dapankuthu. Music from the Tamil version is now enjoying major airplay on radio channels. A record 1.10 lakh audio CDs of the film have flooded the markets in Tamil Nadu and the response has been phenomenal.

Meanwhile, sources close to the production house state that there will be a special Raavanan promo meet on May 14 in Chennai. During this do, Vikram and Priyamani will perform under the watchful eyes of A R Rahman and Mani Ratnam for select invitees and the press. We understand that the date has been fixed keeping Rahmans busy schedule and availability in mind.
When contacted, Vikram said, There is only one word to describe the music of the film, and its awesome. Like all Rahman compositions, the tunes will slowly grow on the listener. There will be heavy promotions in the coming days for Raavanan. I always promote my films aggressively, irrespective of the language; just wait and watch.

The grapevine has it that for the first time Vikram will be going on a world tour from June 1, to promote Raavan and Raavanan, his ultimate litmus test as an actor, because he is playing Ram and Raavanan in the two versions of the film!

ajaybaskar
6th May 2010, 11:54 AM
Jinju,

I think it is Behne De. Karthik sang the 'track' of the song. But finally it was retained by ARR and Mani.

jinju
6th May 2010, 12:02 PM
Jinju,

I think it is Behne De. Karthik sang the 'track' of the song. But finally it was retained by ARR and Mani.

ya i had the same doubt...nalla vela, erkkanave satrangi re-ishnu ellorum solraanga...nevertheless, kartik was fab and it may open up more avenues for him in hindi which "behka" shud've done in the first place!

Scale
6th May 2010, 12:08 PM
No, they are different ones may be composed for 'Lajjo'

http://www.ravanmovie.com/2010/05/arr-speaks-on-sonus-n-ashas-song.html

jinju
6th May 2010, 12:14 PM
oh appdi...thanks scale...

btw, whats with the "ii" and "aa" in nIIgAAm...?! another numerology victim eh!

jinju
6th May 2010, 12:28 PM
dose anyone have the lyrics in English? would be very helpful :)

http://www.ravanmovie.com/2010/05/raavanan-lyrics.html

Yathu
6th May 2010, 12:40 PM
Yathu,

A la VTV Ganesh.. "En manasula ninnuttada thambi.. Nee ninnutta.." :D

Ulagathila evvalvo composers irukanga, naan yen sir ARR fan aanen? :cry:

I strongly believe that this is the best director-composer combo and they are not going to let their fans down with a mediocre product.

:exactly:

SoftSword
6th May 2010, 12:49 PM
ada ennappa raavanan music'aala ARRa neruppula suttu authenticity test pannuveenga pola...

some of the tunes were not custom made for tamil and the lyrics too... but thats how ARR pushes the boundary everytime... and that unconventional attempts by him go to the Pathbreaking tracks shelf after an years time...

and did anybody think why would ARR go to Anuradha when she is almost out of market now? dun u guys spare a thought that its something which is intentional?

u guys were having shivering hands for this ARR drug and when you got ur packet on 24th, no matter what flavor it was, u injected it into you and are yet to come out of that bodhai...
and so you don find the worth of the tamil drug now... and started complaining...

cos of this some of us conciously resisted from listening to hindi... and we are slowly romancing with ecstasy now...

reg the lyrics i only hav some prob with the kalvare song... while all other songs sound folkish and day-to-day words of those people, this particular song has some 15th centure poetry... kalvare... agam ariveero... etc..,

ok, try this....
whenever u write a post, defer submitting it until u listen to the album for another round, and after this if u read ur post you would surely change some statements i bet u...

ok rite now, the order for me

veera - the raamandhen... raavanandhen... is doing some magic in me...

keda kari - the beats and the chorus...

kodu poatta - the overall energy and the final tempo increase...

kaatu sirukki - shankar mahadevan's voice...and the funny feel... another rukkumani in the making...

usure pogudhey - the tune and karthiks singing... and the way the lyrics are written for this tune...

kalvare - everytime this song starts, am getting a jodha akbar feel... the idhayam idam maariyadhey kind of melody... wondering if ARR did not sense that feel...

overall, my opinion... satthiyamaa endha mudivukkum vara mudila... oru fan'a ipdi ellaama tease panradhu thalaivaa... :notworthy:

Thunai
6th May 2010, 03:10 PM
m_Karthik....... hmmm... NOW I SUSPECT SOMEBODY..... :) :D :lol: :rotfl3:

SoftSword
6th May 2010, 03:16 PM
oru...
sweetstall'ae...
oru...
sweetstall'ae.....
paniyaaram....
saappidugiradhae...

adadae... !!!

littlemaster1982
6th May 2010, 03:23 PM
Welcome to the hub, M_Karthik :D

lancelot
6th May 2010, 03:29 PM
let me just throw this out there

may be after composing Ranjha Ranjha ARR got one of his assistants to do the recording for Kaattu Sirukk (since the composition is the same). as a result AS didnt know exactly how to sing the song? could that have happened?

ajaybaskar
6th May 2010, 03:32 PM
Even in that highly unlikely situation, ARR woudnt have allowed the cd to the market before he himself is ok with the output...

A.ANAND
6th May 2010, 03:34 PM
Go for it!
May 06, 2010 13:38 IST

The wait is over.

Oscar-winner A R Rahman [ Images ] is back again, this time, joining hands with ace director Mani Ratnam to deliver one of 2010's most anticipated albums: Ravanan. Ever since Roja [ Images ], the hype surrounding the two veterans has been intense, and it's culminated with Ravanan.

The Hindi version was released with much fanfare on April 24, while the Tamil version has quietly reached the stores on the May 5. With famed lyricist Kaviperararu Vairamuthu penning the songs, here's a look at what the album has to offer:

With strange and wonderful chants, grunts and groans starts Veera Veera, then to morph slowly into an enthusiastic, joyful celebration, rendered by Vijay Prakash with gay abandon, to the accompaniment of chickens clucking and other barnyard sounds. Its even better to listen to him sing "Ramanthein..." with the Southern lilt, while the background instrumental arrangement raises the song from just another peppy number to something with instant appeal. Even more intriguing is the blurring of lines between the characters of Rama and Ravana -- and that it's been written by Mani Ratnam and A R Rahman. It's brisk, catchy, and with Keerthi Sagathia and Mustafa Kutoane providing support, you're not quite prepared to let go of its freshness.

Almost like a king ascending his throne begins Usure Pogudhe -- slowly, exquisitely, taking its own time. Karthik begins melodiously, touching the right note of lament and longing. Though certain notes do remind you of another classic number, En Uyire, there are touches of beauty that cannot be denied. Of particular merit is the violin interlude: indescribably beautiful, and plumbing the depths of yearning. Vairamuthu is at his best here; the words complement the tune very well, telling of the hopeless anguish that accompanies a wish that cannot be fulfilled. Score one for the maestro.

Back to the faintly tribal feel that lines most of the numbers but Benny Dayal's Kodu Potta is far more ferocious, in-your-face and down to earth. It's men-of-the-soil vs the landlords; the lyrics are harsh, choppy as they're intended to be. The instrumental interlude has a distinct North Indian flavour to it, something that's compounded by the violin segment that follows later. Yes, it's appealing, particularly in the last moments when it rises to a towering crescendo but not in the instant fashion of the previous two. This number's principal attraction is its lyrics -- sharp, earthy, and rousing.

Like a woman cackling madly begins Kattu Chirukki and its takes you a moment to understand Anuradha Sriram's affected singing (fortunately, the helpful lyric booklet assists in deciphering her words). Shankar Mahadevan [ Images ] is, thankfully, at his lucid best; he's clear and brings an emotion that's pleasant to listen (almost as if he's compensating). Melody-wise, here again, there's the faint trace of longing and touches of romance, aided amply by the lyrics.

Kalvare has a very different feel from the rest -- not just in the fact that its almost completely romantic, and doesn't have any of the ominous and earthy touches of the previous numbers, but also in its composition: its not colloquial, is softer and obviously indicates an existing romantic relationship. What can you say of Shreya Ghoshal's [ Images ] voice except that it's melodious, as usual? You get a sense of deja vu, as you listen to this number: snatches of Jodha Akbar's Jashn-e-Bahara, yes. The number is brief, and mildly appealing.

Back to the basics with a bang -- that's Benny Dhayal, Bhagyaraj, Rayhanah and Tanvi Shah ganging up to bring the thunderous Kedakkari. Perhaps this number's even more raw than the others; it's certainly an out-an-out celebration, but done with more swear-worthy references to gawking new husbands and rustic wives. Again, there's a distinctly North Indian flavour to the number. The beat, however, takes your mind off such things. It's not scintillating, but has its appeal.

Its always been said that an A R Rahman album takes more than a couple of listens to sink into and that holds good for Ravanan as well. The songs are geared more towards specific situations, emotions and characters; undoubtedly, their appeal is bound to the movie itself.

Nevertheless, the range and depth of the numbers do impress you on repeated listens. A couple of numbers, you feel, don't scale the heights of brilliance; the transmutation from Hindi to Thamizh is obvious, and rather jarring at moments.

But Rahman's brilliance in instrumental arrangement, choice of vocals and Vairamuthu's lyrics make up for it. It looks like Mani Ratnam has managed to shape a complex collection from his protege this time too. Go for it.

http://movies.rediff.com/review/2010/may/06/south-tamil-music-review-ravanan.htm

littlemaster1982
6th May 2010, 03:35 PM

may be after composing Ranjha Ranjha ARR got one of his assistants to do the recording for Kaattu Sirukk (since the composition is the same). as a result AS didnt know exactly how to sing the song? could that have happened?

I don't think so.

Thunai
6th May 2010, 03:43 PM

Guys, i know that u ppl wont buy this, but THIS IS THE FACT....

ARR has lost interest in film music post oscars...., and now he's only interested in live shows and making it big in hollywood...... all of the films he has done after oscars including RAAVAN/RAAVANAN are either COMPOSED or ARRANDED by his assistants.........

AR fans, BEWARE...... U R BEING DECEIVED & CHEATED....!!

littlemaster1982
6th May 2010, 03:47 PM
Thunai,

Enough of trolling!!!

A.ANAND
6th May 2010, 03:49 PM

oru velai tamil-la vera mathiri varanum innu ARR nenachirukalam illaya? :roll:

ajaybaskar
6th May 2010, 03:50 PM
Thunai,

Enough of trolling!!!

I really appreciate that, Master...

SoftSword
6th May 2010, 03:52 PM

ARR has lost interest in film music post oscars...., and now he's only interested in live shows and making it big in hollywood...... all of the films he has done after oscars including RAAVAN/RAAVANAN are either COMPOSED or ARRANDED by his assistants.........

what an attitude!! :notworthy:

A.ANAND
6th May 2010, 03:53 PM
[tscii:4f89b92bb3]Rahman on deleting Sonu, Asha¡¯s songs from Raavanan

Finally, the music buffs all over the globe have one fine reason to rejoice and that¡¯s all about the musical release of AR Rahman¡¯s recent release Raavanan in Hindi, Tamil and Telugu. With the album turning to be top-drawers at audio markets, Rahman confesses about the deletion of songs crooned by Asha Bhosle and Sonu Niigaam.

Buzz up!¡®Since, we felt that those songs turned to be a sort of impedimenta on film¡¯s narration, I and Manirathnam decided to remove those songs¡¯ says AR Rahman. Much prior to the music release, Sonu Niigaam had himself admitted about his song being missed out in the album.

It¡¯s worth mentioning that three songs in ¡®Raavan¡¯ were actually meant for Manirathnam¡¯s other project titled ¡®Lajjo¡¯ that didn¡¯t take off due to some unavoidable reasons. Many of the Tamil buffs have felt that A.R Rahman had ardently tuned melodies for Hindi buffs as the genres he has chosen seems to be savoring for the North Indian tastes.

It¡¯s worth mentioning that Tollywood¡¯s most happening music director AR Rahman has crooned a song for Telugu version Villain

http://entertainment.oneindia.in/tamil/exclusive/2010/rahman-sonu-asha-songs-060510.html
[/tscii:4f89b92bb3]

Appu s
6th May 2010, 03:54 PM

Thanks for your concern :cry: :cry:

SoftSword
6th May 2010, 03:55 PM
[tscii:47641abbb6]

It¡¯s worth mentioning that Tollywood's most happening music director AR Rahman has crooned a song for Telugu version Villain

idheppa nadandhadhu...[/tscii:47641abbb6]

SoftSword
6th May 2010, 03:59 PM
what does "naadhaari paya" means...
all these days i was thinking this was some unparlimentary word... but now i change my mind and want to know the relevance...

Thunai
6th May 2010, 04:19 PM
-deleted-

ajaybaskar
6th May 2010, 04:32 PM
[tscii:d204d1087d]Raavanan Music Review

Not many changes from my review of Raavan, the base tunes remaining the same in both cases. This is more of an exercise to list down the artists involved in the Tamil version of each song. And a comparison vis-a-vis the Hindi version.

Veera (Beera) has the same singers as Hindi does, Vijay Prakash, Keerti Sagathia and Mustafa Kutoane. Nothing changes except the lyrics, the singers’ rendition going the same way as in Hindi. And this song I felt was better in Hindi, the lyrics in many places not quite seeming to fit in, and even the arrangement not favouring a Tamil score. Hence my vote goes for Beera.

Usure Poguthey (Behene De) again has Karthik at the vocals and as usual does a kickass job! This song I would rate as good as its Hindi counterpart, the orchestration really didn’t have a Hindi incline in any case.

Thok De Killi was the song I found less attractive in the Hindi lineup, and with the same arrangement I found Kodu Potta no better. In fact though Benny Dayal does a decent job he is no match for Sukhwinder, and hence I found the Kodu.. on a lower level than Thok De..

Coming to Kaattu Sirukki (Ranjha Ranjha) I felt immensely happy to hear Shankar Mahadevan and Anuradha Sriram singing for Rahman after so long! Call it my bias towards the singers, I rate Kaattu.. above Ranjha..

With its period feel a la Jodhaa Akbar songs, I was afraid of how Khilli Re would sound in Tamil as I felt there was an inherent Hindi disposition with the kind of instruments used. Shreya Ghoshal has done a brilliant job of vocals in Kalvare, hats off to her, but even that is not enough to mitigate the Hindi elements in the arrangement. Nevertheless I thoroughly enjoyed listening to Shreya.

On the other hand, on hearing Kedakkari (Kata Kata) it is hard to believe this was actually made in Hindi, as the song sounds a typical Tamil Kuthu track! Rahman has done some minor tweakings in the orchestration as well to make it more Tamil-friendly, and the results are outstanding! The singer lineup has been entirely changed in this case, Benny Dayal, Bharathiraja, Raihanna and Tanvi doing the honours.

A fantastic listen, definitely above the Hindi version. The above review could be due to my inherent prejudice towards the first-heard variant, but I felt that overall Raavanan’s soundtrack rates a tad lower than Raavan. Having said that, Raavanan still makes for a great listen. It is, after all, a Rahman composition!

Music Aloud Rating: 8.5/10
Recommended Tracks: Usure Poguthey, Kaattu Sirukki, Kedakkari

http://www.musicaloud.com/2010/05/04/raavanan-music-review/[/tscii:d204d1087d]

SoftSword
6th May 2010, 04:34 PM
how i wish
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e6WHUyMPrZs

ajaybaskar
6th May 2010, 04:35 PM
[tscii:4b7c72730d]
Raavanan - Music Review

From the maker of stupendous masterpieces, here is a big treat awaited for his buffs. A Manirathnam Film – this brand alone remains as a central factor to sell the tickets. In all equivalencies, A.R. Rahman’s musical touch in Hindi version of ‘Raavan’ has already become chartbusters. Much alike his previous films with Manirathnam, the same tunes have been spelled for all the three versions.

Vairamuthu has penned lyrics that seem to be far away different from his previous ones.

We bring you an exclusive look on ‘Raavanan’ music review that has an inspiring tunes capturing out our senses…

1.Veera

Vocals: Vijay Prakash, Keerthi Sagathia Additional African vocals: Mustafa Kutoan.

The album begins on an impressive showpiece as the ‘Veera’ reveals of prodigious effort from Rahman. The powerfully pounding beats on percussions and wonderful rendition by Vijay Prakash and Keerthi Sagathia holds special mention. The sound engineering has been marvelously done as the special effects of Child’s cry and certain fill-ins make it sound perfect on surround systems. The African vocals by Mustafa Kutoan are yet another highlighting factor. Vairamuthu’s lyrical lines centers on thin line of difference between ‘Rama’ and ‘Raavana’.

2.Usure Pogudhey

Vocal: Karthik

This romantic solo is about a man’s yearning for a girl in spite of knowing its consequences. The song has been pictured on Vikram and Aishwarya as the lyrics focalizes around the relationship between hunter and hunted. Karthik’s intonation is awesome and rhythmic accompaniment on percussions and metal guitars are highly electrifying. The song has some traces of A.R. Rahman’s best composition ‘En Uyire’ in Manirathnam’s ‘Uyire’.

3.Kodu Poatta

Vocal: Benny Dayal

This is one of the best picks in this album as it establishes the astonishing realms of ‘Rahman’ factor. ‘Kodu Poatta’ carries intensely captivating instrumentals of beats and non-brass instruments. Rahman could’ve better opted Sukwindhar Singh (crooned this song in Hindi) as Benny Dayal deliberately trivializes the impact of this song. The lyrics get overshadowed by the instrumentals.

4.Kaattu Sirukki

Vocals: Shankar Mahadevan, Anuradha Sriram

Revealing the sense of erotic feel, the song is expected to be centered on Prithviraj and Aishwarya Rai Bachchan. Anuradha Sriram, who just rendered a chorus part in Hindi version, has taken up the entire song in Tamil. Shankar Mahadevan is pretty invigorated on the tracks and roping Rashid Ali (singer in Hindi) would have blatantly made it more stunning. The style of rendition by the duo is appreciable and this one is expected to be the gorgeous dance of Aishwarya Rai under the rains.

5.Kalvare

Vocals: Shreya Goshal

Shreya Ghosal always obtains special compositions from Rahman. Be the ever-cherishing romantic duet ‘Munbe Vaa’ or the dulcetly pleasing ‘Manipaaya’ in ‘Vinnaithandi Varuvaaya’, she has excelled with an emotionally gripping touch. ‘Kalvare’ is nowhere different from such arena as she scores the brownie points. The instrumentals are mild enough that it lets her voice to take on the stands.

6.Keda Kari

Vocals: Benny Dayal, Bhagyaraj, Rayhanah, Tanvi Shah

Sounds like a marriage song and guess what? Manirathnam has shot this song with 500 dancers. The song speaks about Rahman’s charismatic appeal on stunning rhythms and the playback singers have shifted their paradigms. We have an additional bonanza to this song as Grammy winner Tanvi Shah (‘Slumdog Millionaire’ fame) rendering her voice. This song will be a sure winner at charts with the brilliant cinematography of Santhosh Sivan.

After a very long time, we tend to hear the magnificent tunes of A.R. Rahman and we need to thank him for saving such best tunes for Manirathnam. The album of ‘Raavana’ will doubtlessly remain on top until the next album from Rahman reaches you. Some of the songs are seemingly heard to be well-tailored for Hindi (Rahman has used three tunes that was meant for Manirathnam’s ‘Lajjo’ starring Aamir Khan and Kareena Kapoor). Of course, every tune has a special mention for his uniqueness from other song.

Verdict: The Madras Mozart proves it again.

http://www.top10cinema.com/feature/4336/raavanan-music-review[/tscii:4b7c72730d]

Ramakrishna
6th May 2010, 04:35 PM
how i wish
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e6WHUyMPrZs

ennathithu?

Chumma ipdi link pottu vuttaa naanga epdi paakrathu

ajaybaskar
6th May 2010, 04:40 PM
Its Chicken smash

Appu s
6th May 2010, 04:53 PM
what does "naadhaari paya" means...
all these days i was thinking this was some unparlimentary word... but now i change my mind and want to know the relevance...
Nadhari refers to female right?so"nadhari paya mavan"....logic idikkuthey.. :roll:

ajaybaskar
6th May 2010, 04:55 PM
Naadhari is male....

SoftSword
6th May 2010, 04:57 PM
siva,
nee solradhu nadhari... i am speaking about na'adhaari...
as in, VV: "naadhaaritthanam pannaalum naasukkaa pannanum"

Appu s
6th May 2010, 05:06 PM
siva,
Which naadhari word is used in Raavanan?

lancelot
6th May 2010, 05:08 PM
sorry for my previous post guys, i think i was the one who provoked the TROLL! :(

SoftSword
6th May 2010, 05:13 PM
siva,
Which naadhari word is used in Raavanan?

chorus in he keda kari song:
Koora Chela Komari.. Kova Pazha Chivappu
Naaga Pazha Karuppu.... Naathari Paya Maval

raghavendran
6th May 2010, 07:14 PM
i was a bit harsh on anuradha....wen i heard it for the 1st time...but after several hearings i love the song...keep humming it all the time...its gud...rahman's magic all over it..all songs will grow on the audience

raghavendran
6th May 2010, 07:15 PM
i just nowsaw the second trailor of raavanan....usure pogudhe...its super...vikram :notworthy: :notworthy:

Mahen
6th May 2010, 07:32 PM
i just nowsaw the second trailor of raavanan....usure pogudhe...its super...vikram :notworthy: :notworthy:

is this the one?it sounds a little different
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wzYpv7I3KQM

raghavendran
6th May 2010, 07:39 PM

is this the one?it sounds a little different
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wzYpv7I3KQMyes...this is the 1

m_karthik
6th May 2010, 08:39 PM
Welcome to the hub, M_Karthik :D

Thank to all,

The song structure of Veera and Usurae Pogudhey is slightly bit different than the usual compositions. May be VTV kind. And i feel the Kodu Potta high pitch ending is somewhat intentional and it starts suddenly which could have been avoided.

There is something called "Love at First sight" and "Friend-Turned-Lover". The girl which u fall in love at first sight is not superior. And the friend which turned into a lover is not inferior.

I live in a spanish speaking country and i hear a lot of spanish songs. Very few songs will be instantly likeable. In Bill Board Charts no song will come to number one place in the first week itself like our SUN Tv countdown. It will increase the position if it grows in people. It is the general thing all over the world. Every MD in the world is like that. May be some can provide instantly likeable songs always. That's why they are celebrated.

ARR doesn't provide the second category songs always. He provides both varieties. For eg. Hosanna, Aaromale, Delhi 6, Taxi Taxi, Andha Arabi, Mustafa, Newyork Nagaram, Urvasi and so on.

Falling in love at first sight with all the girls is wrong. And trying to turn all friends as a lover is also wrong. I hope people here doesn't force themselves to hear the songs to like it. And people doesn't tell the song is good in the first listening for the sake of saying it. I m not any of these kind.

In my opinon, If a song is not instantly likeable, then it is a fresh song which we never heard it before. If we like it along the time, then it is a good song and if we don't then it's a bad song. As long as you like a song, it's a win-win situation for everyone.

Another big postttttttttttt............sorry guys :(

Thunai
6th May 2010, 08:56 PM
-deleted-

Thunai
6th May 2010, 09:00 PM
-deleted-

Thunai
6th May 2010, 09:13 PM
-deleted-

littlemaster1982
6th May 2010, 09:18 PM
Thunai,

Please go spam somewhere else.

sathya_1979
6th May 2010, 10:33 PM
-Deleted-

A.ANAND
7th May 2010, 07:43 AM
koodu potta my no.1 fav.song now!

:clap: what a energic song!wooow!

usurey poguthey brilliant!kartik-kku award nichayan undu! :notworthy:

kattu chirichi,kalvare ippa ennavo kekka romba pudichirukku! :cool2:

kedda-another rocking song!arr kitta iruntha intha mathiri oru kettu romba nalachu!enna beat-tu

:2thumbsup:

yaaru enna sonnalum,ravanan is one of the best of mani and arr combo!enakku intha 'vaitherichal gang'patti ellam ippa kavalaye illa! :D

lancelot
7th May 2010, 11:04 AM
Soathula Pangu Kaeta Aada Ellayapodu Ellaya
Soththula Pangu Kaeta, Aavan Thalaya Podu Thalaya
Ooraan Veetu Sattathukku Ooru Naadu Masiyathu
Maegam Vanthu Saththam Potta Aagayamdaen Kaekathu
Paatan Bootan Boomiya Yaarum Patta Poda Koodathu

good stuff!

vibinrajmani
7th May 2010, 11:14 AM
[tscii:4cf749ea38]RAAVANAN MUSIC REVIEW
Review by : Malathy Sundaram
Music Director : AR Rahman
Vocals : Vijay Prakash, Mustafa Kutoane, Keerthi Sagathia, Karthik, Benny Dayal, Shankar Mahadevan, Anuradha Sriram, Shreya Goshal, Bhagyaraj, Rayhanah, Tanvi Shah.
Lyrics : Vairamuthu

Produced by Madras Talkies, this long-awaited movie brings together so many talents - Mani Ratnam directs, Suhasini Mani Ratnam pens the dialogues, Santosh Sivan cranks the camera, Vairamuthu handles the lyrics and Sabyasachi Mukherji designs the costumes. To top it all, our own A.R. Rahman takes charge of the music section. Explosive, isn’t it? The title itself suggests that ‘abduction’ could be the central theme of the story. By the way, the actors are Vikram, Aishwarya Rai Bachchan, Prithviraj, Karthik, Prabhu and Priya Mani. All lyrics are by Vairamuthu.

Veera...
Vocals: Vijay Prakash, Keerthi Sagathia, Mustafa Kutoane

A taut tempo dictates this song which seems to touch lightly upon African music and rhythms. The rhythms conjure up a dense forest atmosphere. The defiant tone of a man, who fancies himself as half-asura, half-God. May climb the charts.

Usure Pogudhey...
Vocals: Karthik

An intense number with brooding drum work, violins and a wee bit of guitar. Very minimal input from instruments. The song reflects the agony of a man trying to reach out for the forbidden fruit. Excellent vocals from Karthik add a shine to this Kiravani scale-based song. Listen to it a couple of times and you are hooked.

Kodu Poatta...
Vocals: Benny Dayal

A rather meaty song for Benny this time around and he has just let rip! The aggressive stance of a man, who does not like being fettered by anything. Well-knit drums and guitars convey the same emotion too, with only the instrumental interludes softening the song now and then. This song is an interesting mix of folk rhythms and Arabian music. Like an Abhang, this song suddenly picks up speed, but at the end.

Kaattu Sirukki...
Vocals: Shankar Mahadevan, Anuradha Sriram

This is a typical ‘Rahman formula’ number, but what rivets you here is the peculiar use of Anuradha’s voice as part of background music. Shankar Mahadevan and Anuradha vie with one another in bringing out minute ‘sangatis’ right through the song which keeps it lively all along. Dramatic lyrics (with exquisite imagery) that portray the moral dilemma of a modern-day Ravanan! Do we hear the Natabairavi scale? With good visuals, it could make an appeal.

Kalvare...
Vocals: Shreya Goshal

Very soft and sensual use of flute (Navin) and sitar (Asad Khan) mesmerize you and so does Shreya’s voice. How beautifully she differentiates the three ‘la’ sounds in the line ‘vali migum idangal---.’ The tabla and ghatam add some more ‘sowkyam’ to this melody. You seem to hear Behag raga, but you can’t be sure. Has a vague S.D. Burman-ish appeal to it.

Kedakkari...
Vocals: Benny Dayal, Bhagyaraj, Rayhanah, Tanvi Shah

This song is all about a rustic wedding celebration, but Rahman being Rahman, brings his own musical sensibilities into it and adds a lot of fizz. Such a happy use of oud, shehnai and nagaswaram! The orchestration too is very rich. This Sankarabaranam raga-based song may serve to lighten up our mood as we sit through this taut film.

Verdict:

The trilingual aspect of this movie seems to have steered Rahman into expressing himself a tad cautiously as far as Carnatic ragas are concerned. Nevertheless, this is a brisk and riveting album. The percussive aspect certainly deserves applause because of its muted nature. Though Karthik’s song looms large, all songs have the possibility of hitting the charts.

http://www.behindwoods.com/tamil-music-reviews/review-1/raavanan-vikram-mani-ratnam-rahman.html[/tscii:4cf749ea38]

mahen01
7th May 2010, 01:28 PM
Vairamuthu didnt do a bad job in Veera son.. Itta Peru Veera, Pata Peru Noora...actualy the lyrics are pretty good except raaman than raavanan than bit.

mahen01
7th May 2010, 01:30 PM
No change of mind about anuradha sriram's annoying voice... Still sticking to my original openion.. Its a real pain to hear her voice in that nice song

Rocky89
7th May 2010, 01:46 PM
Veera veeraa veeeraaa/ koadu pOttaa.. yebba enna energy pa..

music man
7th May 2010, 02:32 PM
A R Rahman''s daughter hospitalised, recovering....!!!!!!

"For the past 3 nights, I have been playing a loving father to my daughter. No music, no nothing.

I want to sincerely thank all my friends and family members for their prayers and good wishes. God has been kind and Raheema is recovering fast," Rahman wrote on his Twitter page.

"I also want to thank all my friends from the media for their support and understanding of the situation and for respecting our privacy," he added. The 44-year-old Oscar winning musician known as the ''Mozart of Madras'' has two more children - daughter Khatija, 14 and five-year-old son, Aameen with wife Saira Banu.

music man
7th May 2010, 02:33 PM
Lets wish her a speedy recovery.....

jinju
7th May 2010, 02:37 PM
[tscii:8c8c2238eb]
Vairamuthu didnt do a bad job in Veera son.. Itta Peru Veera, Pata Peru Noora...actualy the lyrics are pretty good except raaman than raavanan than bit.

luv that bit....

Ada Raaman’na Raaman,
Raavanan’na Raavanan
Rendumnaa Rendumdaen..
Rendundaen Raamandaen

indha lyricsla vikrama character nenachupaakkumbodhey!!!

agree 100% anuradha though...the only song in the tamil version i've listened to no more than twice whereas in hindi thats the song i've listened to the most times!!! rekha bharadwaj and javed ali superrrrrrrrr!!![/tscii:8c8c2238eb]

jinju
7th May 2010, 02:38 PM
oops! wishing rahmanji's daughter a speedy recovery...

SoftSword
7th May 2010, 02:55 PM
[tscii:39482bea4e]

luv that bit....

Ada Raaman’na Raaman,
Raavanan’na Raavanan
Rendumnaa Rendumdaen..
Rendundaen Raamandaen

indha lyricsla vikrama character nenachupaakkumbodhey!!!

agree 100% anuradha though...the only song in the tamil version i've listened to no more than twice whereas in hindi thats the song i've listened to the most times!!! rekha bharadwaj and javed ali superrrrrrrrr!!![/tscii:39482bea4e]

ya this part of the lyrics is awesome and very catchy for me...

sureshmehcnit
7th May 2010, 04:28 PM
My thoughts

http://ursmusically.blogspot.com/2010/05/raavanan-soundtrack.html

seevaa
7th May 2010, 06:21 PM
did anyone notice in the audio CD inlay cover. the song veera is penned by maniratnam and ARR himself i guess. chck out

raghavendran
7th May 2010, 07:50 PM
[tscii:5650a3cd1b][quote="jinju"]

Ada Raaman’na Raaman,
Raavanan’na Raavanan
Rendumnaa Rendumdaen..
Rendundaen Raamandaen
i hate this phrase
:? [/tscii:5650a3cd1b]

ajaybaskar
7th May 2010, 08:43 PM
In the telugu version, Kodu poatta has been crooned by Devisri Prasad and Benny, Kaattu sirukki by AS and Naresh Iyer, Kalvarae by Ankitha. Other singers remain the same..

Benny Lava
7th May 2010, 09:47 PM
Falling in love at first sight with all the girls is wrong. And trying to turn all friends as a lover is also wrong. I hope people here doesn't force themselves to hear the songs to like it.

Nice analogy :D .. Agree with you :D

Thunai
7th May 2010, 11:47 PM
No guys, i'm not opening my mouth any more... check out the news speak for me......

http://www.dnaindia.com/entertainment/report_is-it-hollywood-over-bollywood-for-ar-rahman_1379245

Any hey, it is'nt SANDALWOOD,... is it...? errr... sorry guyys.......i 4 got my contact lenses..... :D

littlemaster1982
7th May 2010, 11:50 PM
Read it again and if he had said anywhere that he prefers Hollywood over Indian films, come back. Or else, don't ever post here.

Thunai
8th May 2010, 12:06 AM
Okay... okay.... "READING is TRITE,.. but READING BETWEEN THE LINES is GIFT....." bye guys....!

Appu s
8th May 2010, 01:58 AM
Okay... okay.... "READING is TRITE,.. but READING BETWEEN THE LINES is GIFT....." bye guys....!
:lol2:

ajaybaskar
8th May 2010, 08:37 AM
Thunai,

Finally a sensible post from you.. Thanx for posting the link.. Gr8 to know that boss has turned selective.. :-)

Moreover, we enjoyed spending time with you.. Thanx for keeping us entertained for the last 3, 4 days. We expect your services during Endhiran audio release as well.. Bye for now..

sathya_1979
8th May 2010, 09:28 AM
No guys, i'm not opening my mouth any more... check out the news speak for me......

http://www.dnaindia.com/entertainment/report_is-it-hollywood-over-bollywood-for-ar-rahman_1379245

Any hey, it is'nt SANDALWOOD,... is it...? errr... sorry guyys.......i 4 got my contact lenses..... :D
I think u also forgot ur hearing-aid :D As AB said, thanks for the entertainment!

A.ANAND
8th May 2010, 09:50 AM
usurey poguthey thalaivar paadi iruntha eppadi irukkum??? :notworthy:

A.ANAND
8th May 2010, 09:53 AM
raavanan music review

Manirathnam + A.r.Rahman + vairamuthu = masterpiece album.
Raavanan
Its not a melody roja or alaipayudhey kinda album.
This is a powerfull folk album. Lets see the raavanan isai!
1.Usarea poguthu
Singer- KARTHIK
Its time to listen another amazing song like HOSSANNA.
The song starts like a melody one but slowly gets acceleration and takes to you the forest.
A typical Rahman song.
Lyrics by vairamuthu and music just takes u to the world of love and sex.
My favourite stanza:
Usurea poghudhu Usurea poghudhu
Udhata nee konjam sulikaiyila
Ohhhh maaman thavikiren madipicha keykkuren
manasa thaadi en manikuyilea!
2.kodu potta:
Singer- BENNY DAYAL
If you are big fan of veera pandikottiyeley song, then here is a song for you with rich instrumentations just like that.
A powerful revolutionary song.
BENNY's powerful voice boosts the lyrics and tune.
Interludes are just amazing especially the nadeswaram part.
Lyrics could change even a coward into courageous.
My favourite stanza:
So'thula(meals) panghu ketta elaya podu elaya!
Soth'ula(property) panghu ketta avan thalaya podu thalaya!
3.keda kari
Singers:BENNY DAYAL, BHAKYARAJ,RAYHANNAH,TANVI SHAH.
A pakka unadulterated folk song.
A teasing song(for marriage couples) with full of funny lyrics.
You have unexpected funny lyrics in this song.
Few samples;
Naadhaari Payyan mava,
paavi maghanukku, ohnaan mudughu,
Udhavaa munju, etc.
The Interlude nadeswaram part is simply outstanding. The ending chanda melam is out of this world.
Thoroughly enjoyable song.
4.kaattu sirukki
Singers:SHANKAR MAHADEVAN, anuradha sriram.
Songs starts from anuradha's folkish voice.
Another folk song and both singers at their usual best. anuradha and SHANKAR voices gives u the enough mood to go with the song.
Instantly likable song.
5.veera veera:
Singers; vijay prakash, keerthi sagathia, A.r.Rahman
AFRICAN VOCAL- mustafakutoan.
Introduction song for veera.
Fusion of african and indian folk music.
Song starts with mustafa's African vocal & african beats and shifts to Rahman humming part and finally veera veera by vijay prakash.
overall, a another powerful folk song with catchy lyrics and african sounds.
6.kalvarey:
Singer- shreya ghoshal
Finally after all folk songs, here is a melting melody for us with excellent lyrics by vairamuthu and divine voice of shreya.
Simply love it.

http://in.answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20100504213843AAQUQwx

Guess_Me
8th May 2010, 04:08 PM
Finally, something useful in your posts

raghavendran
8th May 2010, 06:11 PM
In the telugu version, Kodu poatta has been crooned by Devisri Prasad and Benny, Kaattu sirukki by AS and Naresh Iyer, Kalvarae by Ankitha. Other singers remain the same.. :shock:

vibinrajmani
8th May 2010, 07:03 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M-HeoAKr6pA

AB looks very awkward :lol:

raghavendran
9th May 2010, 11:25 AM

AB looks very awkward :lol:nalla dhaane panraaru...wats funny abt it?

A.ANAND
9th May 2010, 11:48 AM

AB looks very awkward :lol:nalla dhaane panraaru...wats funny abt it?

something unexpeted from maniratnam! :shock: exllent! :clap:

A.ANAND
9th May 2010, 11:59 AM
waiting for kedda song trailor! :bluejump: :redjump:

Sanjeevi
9th May 2010, 02:17 PM
oops... edited :wink:

littlemaster1982
9th May 2010, 02:25 PM
http://www.writerpara.com/paper/?p=1178

Only பி.கு:

:roll:

sathya_1979
9th May 2010, 02:33 PM
:confused2: Indha threadkkum pi. ku vukkum enna sambandham?

viraajan
9th May 2010, 02:34 PM
:confused2: Indha threadkkum pi. ku vukkum enna sambandham?

yeah :?

mirth
9th May 2010, 08:17 PM
On the whole, I prefer Raavan songs although I don't actually know Hindi and thus don't understand the Hindi lyrics. It seems to me that ARR composed for the Hindi version first. Maybe if I understood Hindi, I might feel differently.

I like Kalvare and Kedakkari better than their Hindi counterparts but not that much better. Behene De and Usure Poguthey are both on the same level to me. But the other three songs are better in Hindi to me mainly because of the lyrics.

I don't like the Raaman/Raavanan part of the lyrics in Veera. The lyrics are also not that clear. And I agree with whoever who said that the African chanting seems to go better with Hindi than Tamil.

I really don't like Anuradha's annoying singing. And I don't like the lyrics being squeezed in (the yaar kaattu sirukki line); it instantly sticks out like a sore thumb. I don't mind so much if the lyrics are dragged out like certain parts in Mannipaaya or Vinnaithaandi Varuvaaya but when too many syllables are squashed together, it is irritating and I cannot get beyond those lines. Thus I've not actually listened to the whole song.

As for Kodu Potta, the first 4 lines for some unidentifiable reason sound amateurish to me. The rest of the lyrics in the song are fine. But I would rather listen to Thok De Killi.

I was excited for Raavanan songs. I only listened a few times to Raavan so that I will not get used to the Hindi versions. But Raavanan is a disappointment to me and I'm not inspired to keep listening to the songs in Tamil. I will be listening to Raavan instead.

MADDY
9th May 2010, 08:40 PM
And I don't like the lyrics being squeezed in (the yaar kaattu sirukki line); it instantly sticks out like a sore thumb

u hit nail on head - it was really squashing/smashing of words stretching the sandhams......

hindi ravan is miles ahead with gulzar handling the fitting part much better......but poetry has never been a problem with neother gulzar nor VM anyday 8-)

sunnyg
9th May 2010, 09:15 PM
Guys

At the risk of flaming here, I have to respectfully say that I am not impressed at all with Raavan songs. I go by music and tunes more than the lyrics - so Raavanan would fall in the same category.

I personally think this is the weakest contribution from the ARR-Mani Rathnam combine.

Other than Behne De and Beera, the songs are not inspiring at all and sound very situational.
Ranjha ranjha sounds like an 80s Lakshmikant-Pyarelal duet.

Let us call a spade a spade and point out that the Emperor, this time, has no clothes!

Emperor ARR has had his moment of glory and his reign is now over 18 years! It is probably time to abdicate - I do not know who the next superstar is; there probably is none.

By his own standards, ARR is not upto the mark. I do not think I can listen to the other songs in Raavan in 2 or 3 years time.

I am sorry.

Sunny G
A disappointed fan of ARR

ajaybaskar
9th May 2010, 09:23 PM
Sunny,

There is one post of yours in the VTV thread. It goes like this.. 'Every album of ARR has recieved negative criticism in the first few weeks. Then, people change their mind'.

Hope that's the same case here. Wait and watch, buddy! :-)

shocker
9th May 2010, 09:44 PM
I see many people are joining me in the dissapointment of ARR's latest offering.

The Tamil version is especially weak. Is anyone else wondering how the Kodu Potta song will fit in the same visual situation of the film?

Scale
9th May 2010, 11:22 PM
//A disappointed fan of ARR//

Hardly until next release.

Yathu
10th May 2010, 04:33 AM
I have to respectfully say that I am not impressed at all with Raavan songs.

Other than Behne De and Beera, the songs are not inspiring at all

Not impressed at all but you like behne de and beera. Hmmm.

Emperor ARR has had his moment of glory and his reign is now over 18 years! It is probably time to abdicate - I do not know who the next superstar is; there probably is none.

One not so good album (in YOUR honest opinion) & its time for ARR to pack his bags? What exactly do you want from an ARR album?

Experimentation & innovation come at a cost - unfamiliarity. If you'd like something that makes for easier listening* there's plenty of other MDs who deliver the goods. ARRs music is evolving into a free flowing art form. It needs to be approached with an open mind.

*not that ARRs music can't be easy listening!

A.ANAND
10th May 2010, 07:04 AM
Guys

At the risk of flaming here, I have to respectfully say that I am not impressed at all with Raavan songs. I go by music and tunes more than the lyrics - so Raavanan would fall in the same category.

I personally think this is the weakest contribution from the ARR-Mani Rathnam combine.

Other than Behne De and Beera, the songs are not inspiring at all and sound very situational.
Ranjha ranjha sounds like an 80s Lakshmikant-Pyarelal duet.

Let us call a spade a spade and point out that the Emperor, this time, has no clothes!

By his own standards, ARR is not upto the mark. I do not think I can listen to the other songs in Raavan in 2 or 3 years time.

I am sorry.

Sunny G
A disappointed fan of ARR

ella arr album-mum disappointing-than ivarukku! :oops:

A.ANAND
10th May 2010, 07:16 AM
Sunny,

There is one post of yours in the VTV thread. It goes like this.. 'Every album of ARR has recieved negative criticism in the first few weeks. Then, people change their mind'.

sunny,neenga kora mattum sollathan intha thread-ikku varuveenggala, arr album ithuvarai praise panni ithuvaraikum naan padichathey illa!ithala arr fan vera! :banghead:

MADDY
10th May 2010, 08:15 AM
Sunny,

sunny,neenga kora mattum sollathan intha thread-ikku varuveenggala, arr album ithuvarai praise panni ithuvaraikum naan padichathey illa!ithala arr fan vera! :banghead:

so what ,let him tell that :) ........we keep telling that ARR album is great always :)

A.ANAND
10th May 2010, 09:58 AM
Sunny,

so what ,let him tell that :) ........we keep telling that ARR album is great always :)

konjamavathu manasatchi vendama sir?illichavaya inna athu arr fans innu enggavathu otti vechirukanggala?half baked album-ma kuda great innu sollra group illa naama!arr fans 'verupetanum' inne sabatham eduthukkittu ingga vanthu tuppitu poravanggala enna sollarengga!

littlemaster1982
10th May 2010, 10:06 AM
Guys,

AFAIK, Sunny is a ARR fan just like us. If he feels he is disappointed, that's fine. Why should we get irritated by that? At least he had put forth his points in best way possible.

jinju
10th May 2010, 11:04 AM
Guys,

AFAIK, Sunny is a ARR fan just like us. If he feels he is disappointed, that's fine. Why should we get irritated by that? At least he had put forth his points in best way possible.

"Emperor ARR has had his moment of glory and his reign is now over 18 years! It is probably time to abdicate - I do not know who the next superstar is; there probably is none."

put forth points on the album in best way possible until this above quoted sentence LM....abdicate, u mean renounce, give up?! GOSH :x ! a couple of months after he has given something called VTV...?! and u call urself a fan?! :shock:

"has had his moment of glory" "emperor has no clothes" all these terms, i dont know, kinda sound fishy coming from a person who credits himself an arr "fan"! :D

anyways, have refrained from commenting on such types for sometime in this thread...but some real fans here failing to read between the lines of that post confused me, adhnaala dhaan indha post...

A.ANAND
10th May 2010, 01:10 PM
Guys,

Everytime arr album releae aagumbothu kora innu sollitu poravanggthan arr fan-ah??arr album-ma yaarum chumma thalaila thooki vechi aadanum innu sollala,kora solla ellarukum uraima irukku but say in good way!but i'm dont believe this guy [sunny]is arr fan!

raghavendran
10th May 2010, 03:04 PM
not that every1 should like the album...but the opinions change very quickly...fr that multiple listenings required...each song is a n ocean by itself...oruoru vaati kekumbodhum pudhusa oru vishayam vandhikitte irukkum...so the message is keep listening... :musicsmile:

raghavendran
10th May 2010, 03:09 PM
And I don't like the lyrics being squeezed in (the yaar kaattu sirukki line); it instantly sticks out like a sore thumb

u hit nail on head - it was really squashing/smashing of words stretching the sandhams......

hindi ravan is miles ahead with gulzar handling the fitting part much better......but poetry has never been a problem with neother gulzar nor VM anyday 8-)i felt the same with the fanaa song in yuva...the lyrics were shorter than the tune..may b its because of listenin to it after the tamil version...it may b the case here too

littlemaster1982
10th May 2010, 04:06 PM
Guys,

Everytime arr album releae aagumbothu kora innu sollitu poravanggthan arr fan-ah??arr album-ma yaarum chumma thalaila thooki vechi aadanum innu sollala,kora solla ellarukum uraima irukku but say in good way!but i'm dont believe this guy [sunny]is arr fan!

Please check his previous posts :D

littlemaster1982
10th May 2010, 04:08 PM
Guys,

"Emperor ARR has had his moment of glory and his reign is now over 18 years! It is probably time to abdicate - I do not know who the next superstar is; there probably is none."

put forth points on the album in best way possible until this above quoted sentence LM....abdicate, u mean renounce, give up?! GOSH :x ! a couple of months after he has given something called VTV...?! and u call urself a fan?! :shock:

"has had his moment of glory" "emperor has no clothes" all these terms, i dont know, kinda sound fishy coming from a person who credits himself an arr "fan"! :D

anyways, have refrained from commenting on such types for sometime in this thread...but some real fans here failing to read between the lines of that post confused me, adhnaala dhaan indha post...

I overlooked those lines, blame on me. But I remember his earlier posts, couldn't recollect a single instance that he posted anything against ARR.

I agree these lines are way over the top.

MADDY
10th May 2010, 05:36 PM
im afraid we are giving a image of intolerable group to outside world........we have to let criticisms flow......i know there will be some posts adding fuel by coupling the criticism with some unneccessary words - but dont give importance to those unneccessary words........lack of response is the best answer for such things - trust me, we dont lose anything by ignoring such comments, neither album will flop nor ARR will go down :D

SoftSword
10th May 2010, 05:40 PM
Guys,

i agree completely...
for once master u misjudged....

can a fan ever post for his favorite idol to pack his bags???

SoftSword
10th May 2010, 05:42 PM
maddy hav a doubt...
hav u fallen for any hindi speaking gal??

ajaybaskar
10th May 2010, 05:47 PM
Agreed, Maddy. That's what I am saying time and again. Constructive criticism is very much welcome. But when someone brings 'Oscar glory' and 'Raavan album not satisfying him' together, then we have a problem, right?

Similarly, when everything is going fine, there would be one post which will say Aaromalae is a copy. When the same post recieves brickbats, the hubber will 'pummify' saying that 'What am I to do? You should go to the blogger and ask him.' Appuram enna ma****kku inga adha post pannaarunnu theriyala. Same post seen in 'Copying in TF Industry' as well. Such things deserve spl treatment, Maddy. Atleast I can't allow ppl to play fool with ARR. If I have a wee bit of ownership with this thread, I will continue to reply them in suitable manner... :-(

ajaybaskar
10th May 2010, 05:49 PM
maddy hav a doubt...

SS,

Delete your post immediately... Maddy is engaged and our sister has access to the hub..

Appu s
10th May 2010, 05:53 PM
maddy hav a doubt...

SS,

Delete your post immediately... Maddy is engaged and our sister has access to the hub..

:lol:

SoftSword
10th May 2010, 06:21 PM
maddy hav a doubt...

SS,

yaar irundhaa enna...
"sattam than kadamayai seyyum"

sunnyg
10th May 2010, 06:51 PM
Guys

It is time for me to respond back - I do not have to prove my loyalty to ARR. I have always been a fan of ARR right from Thiruda Thiruda days. I loved Roja too but I have seen many one time wonders and did not think this genius will be here to stay.

I was listening to Rythm over this weekend - the songs are just breathtaking! My kids have been big fans of Jai Ho - my daughter wants to listen to it atleast once.
I can fondly remember the times when ARR songs give me the enthusiasm and energy in life! I love Yuvraj songs - for some reason this effort of his has not got its due.

Regarding Vinnaithaandi Varuvaya, I honestly was not impressed on the first many listens but I am loving the music now. A friend of mine, who likes ARR music, still is does not like the songs. I told him that one of the key reasons is the unconventional song structures - there is no clear pallavi and charanam. He has to listen with an open mind.
Guys, listen to Sajna from Couples Retreat. This song is a gem and is so soothing! It is unfortunate that this jewel is wasted in an also ran movie.

Coming back to Raavan, I expected some more melody and catchy numbers. Please read my comments - Beera is very catchy and Behne De is soulful and will stand the test of time.

Being a true ARR fan, I would like to be forthright and honest. I have not been swayed by the other songs in this movie. Going back to Guru, I did not like the Ek do ek muft or Baazi lagao songs and to this date I do not like them.

I will give it more time and will comment back on the rest of the Raavan songs after watching the movie. I am not flaming the man - he is such a wonderful human being. My expectations from him is skyhigh - this is probably too unrealistic.

The comment I made about the 18 years reign is because of the following:

- MSV and Ilayaraja had similar reigns if I remember correctly

- Given that ARR is the top Music Director in both Hindi and Tamil,
it will be extremely difficult to keep giving winning #s on
a sustained basis for both markets;

- Barriers to entry in music has come down;more and more new
folks are entering tamil and hindi music fields

- Access to global music is easier - it is easier for folks to lift
popular/good western songs (a la Deva) and create them in
tamil and hindi. I am certainly NOT saying that ARR is doing that.
He is possibly the only original still in the scene. Everyone else
including Harris, Yuvan and Preetam are seen copying

- What is the motivation for our own King to continue giving us
wonderful music? He has achieved what no one else in India
has. His trophies are innumerable and he has transcended
regional,culture and language barriers.

Being the humble person that he is, I think ARR would expect his fans to be open, honest and accepting of divergent views.

I hope I have expressed my views better.
Fellow fans, if I have hurt you, I apologise.

Sunny G.

SoftSword
10th May 2010, 07:15 PM
sunny we respect your post but certain statements sound unrealistic...
u are a big fan of his for so long... u are in love with his previous music release also... and the music before the previous also... but in this movie which has 6 tracks, u r not impressed with 4 tracks and for that u urself agree that its becos of ur sky-high expectation... but for that ur asking the master to abdicate/whatever...

only that particular line is what offended many of the fans here and start gettin behind u... but that one line is so strong and gives a doubt when u said ur a fan...

i would say no fan here would ever say that word even when brainwashed to say so... maybe we can dismiss that statement as wrong choice of words...

sathya_1979
10th May 2010, 08:31 PM
Sunny,

konjamavathu manasatchi vendama sir?illichavaya inna athu arr fans innu enggavathu otti vechirukanggala?half baked album-ma kuda great innu sollra group illa naama!arr fans 'verupetanum' inne sabatham eduthukkittu ingga vanthu tuppitu poravanggala enna sollarengga!
Anand Bro! Cool down, thoongaravangaLa ezhuppalaam, nadikkaravangaLa? Enakkum indha maadhiri pala vaatti BP egiriyirukku, naNbar LM sonnadhaala pala thaaru maaru posts delete senjirukken! Even fans may not like an album. Nothing wrong aanaa kanda padi pesittu disappointed fan endru solvadhu, height of hypocisy, IMO :D Every one have the right to get disappointed, but shud refrain from posting unneccesary words.
இனிய உளவாக இன்னாத கூறல்
கனியிருப்பக் காய் கவர்ந்தற்று

sathya_1979
10th May 2010, 08:34 PM
Please find and abdicate sir! Thanks for being the fan of Reigning Emperor - From another Fan :D

sunnyg
10th May 2010, 09:01 PM
My dear fellow fans,

I apologize for the WRONG choice of words - "Abdicate". I meant to say that his top position may be coveted by someone else in the future.

It was a VERY STRONG WORD. I did not mean it from the bottom of my heart. ARR needs to continue giving us soul stirring music for atleast another 50 years.

If there is another music wizard, genius, he/she should strive to take the throne through out of the world music - I do not see anyone in the current crop of MDs even dreaming of the #1 spot.

I never, never would want ARR to abdicate the throne of being the most popular and talented MD who has gladdened many a heart with his heartwarming music.

Again, I apologize to my fellow friends for not expressing my disappointment in a manner befitting of a true ARR fan.

Sunny.

shocker
10th May 2010, 09:01 PM
I agree with mostly what Sunny G says, I raised these points myself actually. In this ARR Fan stronghold it is hard to make criticism for the sake of the music.

MADDY
10th May 2010, 09:06 PM
Agreed, Maddy. That's what I am saying time and again. Constructive criticism is very much welcome. But when someone brings 'Oscar glory' and 'Raavan album not satisfying him' together, then we have a problem, right?

Similarly, when everything is going fine, there would be one post which will say Aaromalae is a copy. When the same post recieves brickbats, the hubber will 'pummify' saying that 'What am I to do? You should go to the blogger and ask him.' Appuram enna ma****kku inga adha post pannaarunnu theriyala. Same post seen in 'Copying in TF Industry' as well. Such things deserve spl treatment, Maddy. Atleast I can't allow ppl to play fool with ARR. If I have a wee bit of ownership with this thread, I will continue to reply them in suitable manner... :-(

yea - we feel like smashing them with our reply - but does it ever shut them up? :P thirumba thirumba varuvaanga.......in this case, sunny has expressed his disappointment with some stretching that rahman will go etc........sometimes fans get disappointed to that extent - infact the first thread i opened was "Is ARR a forgotten hero" after disastrous 2001-04 :lol: .....

so, we can better leave sunny's that part of reply and concnetrate on his other parts of his post and ask him why he doesent like songs......... :)

MADDY
10th May 2010, 09:07 PM
I agree with mostly what Sunny G says, I raised these points myself actually. In this ARR Fan stronghold it is hard to make criticism for the sake of the music.

oh, i thot ARR is a fading force, you should get ur criticism across easily enough :)

shocker
10th May 2010, 10:25 PM
Firstly you have to understand the criticism is not towards ARR as a person but towards the music. Secondly the only reason we do have a go at the music is so it can always get better!

lancelot
10th May 2010, 10:32 PM
in my iTunes Kaattu Sirukki has gone from no star to one star to two stars to just now three stars...
is the repeated playing of the song playing with my mind? or did A R Rahman's magic work again... ill go with A R Rahman's magic :D

genesis
11th May 2010, 04:11 AM
I think ARR's music in this movie has heavy influence of Vishal Bhardwaj... Does anyone here feel that way??

littlemaster1982
11th May 2010, 04:18 AM
I didn't feel that way, but heard few others saying the same. Not a bad thing though.

Yathu
11th May 2010, 04:53 AM
- Given that ARR is the top Music Director in both Hindi and Tamil,
it will be extremely difficult to keep giving winning #s on
a sustained basis for both markets;

This probably relates to a problem many different successful composers of the past have had - how many different pleasing permutations of a melody can there be?

- What is the motivation for our own King to continue giving us
wonderful music? He has achieved what no one else in India
has. His trophies are innumerable and he has transcended
regional,culture and language barriers.

ARRs never made music for trophies and medals. He has just focused on giving the audience something new and introducing new sounds (through fusion and his interpretation of various genres [and thereby becoming a genre in himself!]) and technologies. He probably has accomplished this to a large degree. However, I think ARRs true motivation is making music that makes him happy and keeps him interested. Music is his passion, that's what is so appealing about it and also evident in it. In other words, he's not out to solely people-please.

- Barriers to entry in music has come down;more and more new
folks are entering tamil and hindi music fields

- Access to global music is easier - it is easier for folks to lift
popular/good western songs (a la Deva) and create them in
tamil and hindi. I am certainly NOT saying that ARR is doing that.
He is possibly the only original still in the scene. Everyone else
including Harris, Yuvan and Preetam are seen copying

I think these two points are quite irrelevant. Let other MDs do their own thing. When a true talent emerges he/ she will be celebrated.

In this ARR Fan stronghold it is hard to make criticism for the sake of the music.

:shock: Really?

You might have better luck getting your point across in the "Tamil Films" thread for Raavanan: http://www.mayyam.com/hub/viewtopic.php?t=11939

You might find the balanced opinion that you're looking for but I have to warn you, some of them do tend to waffle on a bit. :yessir:

ajaybaskar
11th May 2010, 07:54 AM
I think ARR's music in this movie has heavy influence of Vishal Bhardwaj... Does anyone here feel that way??

After seeing the trailer, I feel Raavan itself would have heavy influence of VB movies..

A.ANAND
11th May 2010, 09:08 AM
-deleted-

A.ANAND
11th May 2010, 12:46 PM
[tscii:5e614a45fe]Mani Ratnam says no to IIFA!

By Moviebuzz | Tuesday, 11 May , 2010, 08:45

Mani Ratnam has finally confirmed that his magnum opus Raavan will not premier at IIFA 2010 in Colombo, Sri Lanka.

At a function organized by his wife Suhasini, in Chennai Mani diplomatically said: “I will not be attending the IIFA 2010, as post production work on my Raavan is still going on.”

Mani is very close to people who run IIFA, as his Yuva was premiered at IIFA 2004 in Singapore. But now he cannot risk alienating the Tamil film industry at a time when his Raavanan is about to release.

He also had no comments to offer when asked whether Abhishek or Aishwarya would go for the festival in Colombo.

The views expressed in the article are the author's and not of Sify.com.

[/tscii:5e614a45fe]