PDA

View Full Version : Academy awards, Cannes, Sundance, etc...(Any Film festival)

thilak4life
25th February 2008, 11:49 AM
Link (http://specials.rediff.com/movies/2008/feb/25report.htm)

A general topic/discourse on films, and awards in different film festival.

The recent Sundance Festival saw "In bruges" premiere. An interesting dark comedy, check it out.

Nerd
25th February 2008, 01:17 PM
Have not seen 1 and 2 and I dont think I would find them superior to the Coen's masterpiece.. Oscars were awesome this year, totally enjoyed watching it on TV :P

Sanjeevi
25th February 2008, 05:15 PM
The winners

http://features.ibnlive.com/features/2008/oscars/nomineelist.php

And more

http://features.ibnlive.com/features/2008/oscars/

thilak4life
25th February 2008, 11:35 PM
I found TWBB a more rewarding experience, and a better film than NCFOM :D

VENKIRAJA
23rd August 2008, 01:23 PM
Thilak anna,I didn't find TWBB great.I've not watched the rest.I don't have any opinion about the oscars 08.A favour-Please change the thread title to Oscars-Discussions.We could chat about the oscars-back and forth.

thilak4life
23rd August 2008, 01:55 PM
Thilak anna,I didn't find TWBB great.I've not watched the rest.I don't have any opinion about the oscars 08.A favour-Please change the thread title to Oscars-Discussions.We could chat about the oscars-back and forth.

Oh, TWBB is most certainly a favorite. Why you didn't like it?

If you fancy Kubrick films, here's a write-up of PWA's film and Stanley kubrick that you might find interesting (http://www.dailyfilmdose.com/2008/04/there-will-be-blood.html). Specifically if you don't care about postmodern self-indulgence of an auteur.

thilak4life
23rd August 2008, 01:59 PM
Topic change.

VENKIRAJA
25th August 2008, 03:19 PM

Oh, TWBB is most certainly a favorite. Why you didn't like it?

If you fancy Kubrick films, here's a write-up of PWA's film and Stanley kubrick that you might find interesting (http://www.dailyfilmdose.com/2008/04/there-will-be-blood.html). Specifically if you don't care about postmodern self-indulgence of an auteur.

TWBB started so pathetic and was even more pathetic as it proceeded.(Sorry 'bout that),DDL was supposedly working in some field and then rose up then.He takes a adopted child with him,creates some sympathy and gets some land.All these episodes were completely dumb :oops: .The speech by Lewis made me snore :( .Then comes Eli's part.It was even more irritating :x .Then came the burn-out and I couldn't stand it anymore.

As the top 10 movie guy tells,TWBB-in my ears and eyes.

//This happens to me sometimes.I didn't like Raging bull also.Guys acclaim these two movies a classic,but still I don't understand why!I'm comfortable with slow or period movies but these ones really got me angry I should say.//

Discussions about the forthcoming oscars anyone?So far,nominate the 5 main awards(Actor/Actress,Director,,Villain,Movie,Original Score)

ajithfederer
26th August 2008, 10:35 AM
Jack Nicholson receiving the oscar for One flew over the cuckoos nest.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y7dDK-YbrNo&feature=related

He gives b@#$$ to the academy

:rotfl:

VENKIRAJA
26th August 2008, 11:25 AM
Anyone to discuss about 1994's oscars?

VENKIRAJA
8th September 2008, 11:58 PM
:huh:
Anyone:
Forrest Gump vs. Pulp Fiction vs. The Shawshank Redemption

thilak4life
9th September 2008, 12:08 AM
Jack Nicholson receiving the oscar for One flew over the cuckoos nest.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y7dDK-YbrNo&feature=related

He gives b@#$$ to the academy

:rotfl:

Jack in his characteristically humorous casual self. But you can see he seems to be absolutely thrilled inside. Despite its obvious flaws, the actors cherish the academy.

The best has to be Jeremy irons for "Reversal of fortune". He pretty much exposed the "compensation mechanism" of the oscars. He slyly thanks Cronenberg, he says "to those who understand, thank you Cronenberg". For the uninitiated, Irons is absolutely terrific in "Dead ringers", and to my mind, one of the essential films for acting perfection, and subtleties he brings out in a double role. Also, for what its worth, Schroeder's "Reversal of fortune" is lovely, loved it so much that I saw it twice back to back. I liked the taste of it, the mood, and pretty much everything about it.

ajithfederer
9th September 2008, 09:45 PM
A layman's question :

Why is Cannes award considered much worthier than the Academy awards?.

HBK
11th September 2008, 09:10 AM
The Wrestler has won the Golden lion award in venice Film festival. Too bad WWE never recognized them. :lol2:

Nerd
21st September 2008, 10:09 PM
Taare Zameen Par is India's entry to the Oscar's this year. Since the movie has an universal theme, good selection I would say. Proper lobbying would fetch us another nomination :thumbsup:

VENKIRAJA
22nd September 2008, 11:16 PM
Taare Zameen Par is India's entry to the Oscar's this year. Since the movie has an universal theme, good selection I would say. Proper lobbying would fetch us another nomination :thumbsup:

As far as I know,the subtitles weren't great.If that would have been a little better(the songs mainly..I know its complicated,but still)I think it has an edge.Which are the other nominees?

Nerd
23rd September 2008, 07:53 AM
I guess you saw some pirated version. The DVD released just about a month back :P and yes there are way too many songs that slow down the pace in TZP and the climax wasnt *great* either.

Mumbai meri jaan, Rock on, Jodha Akbar and a couple of Marati movies were considered I guess. Not sure why Kasaravalli's Gulabi Express was not considered. Rediff gave 5/5 for this, first time ever!!!!

crajkumar_be
23rd September 2008, 08:10 AM
A layman's question :

naalum therinjavas may correct me...

- American vs European
- Lobby Power, studio systems in HW
- Jury (Academy versus Peers)

ajithfederer
23rd September 2008, 08:16 AM
Happadaa, Neengalavadhu answer panneengale :)

Vivasaayi
23rd September 2008, 09:02 PM
A layman's question :

naalum therinjavas may correct me...

- American vs European
- Lobby Power, studio systems in HW
- Jury (Academy versus Peers)

i think cannes festival hosts the international competition whereas in aascar....adachiii...oscar hosts just an american competition with an award for international movies as a custom...

thilak4life
26th January 2009, 12:03 PM
[tscii:b9ec3dbfa7]
SAG awards announced (http://www.imdb.com/features/rto/2009/sags)

Outstanding Performance by a Cast in a Motion Picture
*Slumdog Millionaire (2008)
The Curious Case of Benjamin Button (2008)
Doubt (2008/I)
Frost/Nixon (2008)
Milk (2008)

Outstanding Performance by a Male Actor in a Leading Role
*Sean Penn for Milk (2008)
Richard Jenkins for The Visitor (2007/I)
Frank Langella for Frost/Nixon (2008)
Brad Pitt for The Curious Case of Benjamin Button (2008)
Mickey Rourke for The Wrestler (2008)

Outstanding Performance by a Female Actor in a Leading Role
*Meryl Streep for Doubt (2008/I)
Anne Hathaway for Rachel Getting Married (2008)
Angelina Jolie for Changeling (2008)
Melissa Leo for Frozen River (2008)
Kate Winslet for Revolutionary Road (2008)

Outstanding Performance by a Male Actor in a Supporting Role
*Heath Ledger for The Dark Knight (2008)
Josh Brolin for Milk (2008)
Robert Downey Jr. for Tropic Thunder (2008)
Philip Seymour Hoffman for Doubt (2008/I)
Dev Patel for Slumdog Millionaire (2008)

Outstanding Performance by a Female Actor in a Supporting Role
*Kate Winslet for The Reader (2008)
Amy Adams for Doubt (2008/I)
Penélope Cruz for Vicky Cristina Barcelona (2008)
Viola Davis for Doubt (2008/I)
Taraji P. Henson for The Curious Case of Benjamin Button (2008)

Outstanding Performance by an Ensemble in a Comedy Series
*"30 Rock" (2006)
"Desperate Housewives" (2004)
"Entourage" (2004)
"The Office" (2005)
"Weeds" (2005)

Outstanding Performance by an Ensemble in a Drama Series
*"Mad Men" (2007)
"Boston Legal" (2004)
"The Closer" (2005)
"Dexter" (2006)
"House M.D." (2004)

Outstanding Performance by a Male Actor in a Comedy Series
*Alec Baldwin for "30 Rock" (2006)
Steve Carell for "The Office" (2005)
David Duchovny for "Californication" (2007)
Jeremy Piven for "Entourage" (2004)
Tony Shalhoub for "Monk" (2002)

Outstanding Performance by a Female Actor in a Comedy Series
*Tina Fey for "30 Rock" (2006)
Christina Applegate for "Samantha Who?" (2007)
America Ferrera for "Ugly Betty" (2006)
Mary-Louise Parker for "Weeds" (2005)
Tracey Ullman for "State of the Union" (2008)

Outstanding Performance by a Male Actor in a Drama Series
*Hugh Laurie for "House M.D." (2004)
Michael C. Hall for "Dexter" (2006)
Jon Hamm for "Mad Men" (2007)
William Shatner for "Boston Legal" (2004)
James Spader for "Boston Legal" (2004)

Outstanding Performance by a Female Actor in a Drama Series
*Sally Field for "Brothers & Sisters" (2006)
Mariska Hargitay for "Law & Order: Special Victims Unit" (1999)
Holly Hunter for "Saving Grace" (2007)
Elisabeth Moss for "Mad Men" (2007)
Kyra Sedgwick for "The Closer" (2005)

Outstanding Performance by a Male Actor in a Television Movie or Miniseries
*Paul Giamatti for "John Adams" (2008)
Ralph Fiennes for Bernard and Doris (2007)
Kevin Spacey for Recount (2008) (TV)
Kiefer Sutherland for 24: Redemption (2008) (TV)
Tom Wilkinson for "John Adams" (2008)

Outstanding Performance by a Female Actor in a Television Movie or Miniseries
*Laura Linney for "John Adams" (2008)
Laura Dern for Recount (2008) (TV)
Shirley MacLaine for Coco Chanel (2008) (TV)
Phylicia Rashad for A Raisin in the Sun (2008) (TV)
Susan Sarandon for Bernard and Doris (2007)
[/tscii:b9ec3dbfa7]

directhit
23rd February 2009, 06:14 AM
Penelope at red carpet now 8-) (says they took jus 4 weeks to shoot VCB :shock:)

ajithfederer
23rd February 2009, 06:36 AM
-/-

directhit
23rd February 2009, 07:19 AM
wow, Maria Elena wins :victory:

directhit
23rd February 2009, 08:37 AM
Heath Ledger :bow: :bow:

VENKIRAJA
23rd February 2009, 09:16 AM
[tscii:9ff9a5a2c3]Film Editing: Slumdog Millionaire

Sound Mixing: Slumdog Millionaire

Sound Editing: The Dark Knight

Visual Effects: The Curious Case of Benjamin Button

Documentary Short Subject: Smile Pinki

Documentary Feature: Man on Wire

Actor in a Supporting Role: Heath Ledger, The Dark Knight

Live Action Short Film: Spielzeugland (Toyland)

Makeup: The Curious Case of Benjamin Button

Costume Design: The Duchess

Art Direction: The Curious Case of Benjamin Button

Animated Short Film: La Maison en Petits Cubes

Animated Feature Film: WALL-E

Adapted Screenplay: Simon Beaufoy, Slumdog Millionaire

Original Screenplay: Dustin Lance Black, Milk

Actress in a Supporting Role: Penélope Cruz, Vicky Cristina Barcelona

Cinematography: Slumdog Millionaire

..... So far.[/tscii:9ff9a5a2c3]

VENKIRAJA
23rd February 2009, 11:26 AM
http://www.imdb.com/features/rto/2009/oscars

Full list.

Raikkonen
23rd February 2009, 06:23 PM
Rourke > Oscar..

how the hell they didn't let this guy win..

ajithfederer
12th September 2010, 05:01 AM
Sofia Coppola wins Golden Lion for her film Somewhere in Venice Film Festival.

groucho070
26th October 2010, 12:15 PM
http://www.eonline.com/uberblog/b197087_early_oscars_going_coppola_godard.html?utm _source=eonline&utm_medium=rssfeeds&utm_campaign=imdb_tv-movies

Early Oscars Going to Coppola, Godard, Wallach

The outsiders are now the insiders.

Legendary Hollywood rebel Francis Ford Coppola, cinematic provocateur Jean-Luc Godard and veteran character actor Eli Wallach have been tapped to receive this year's Governor's Awards from the Academy of Motion Picture Arts & Sciences, the folks behind the Oscars.

Coppola, a five-time Oscar winner already, will receive the Academy's prestigious Irving G. Thalberg Memorial Award for his five-decade career as a director, producer and writer of such classics as The Godfather trilogy, Apocalypse Now, The Conversation and The Outsiders.

Godard will be honored with a Governor's Award for an incredible body of work, beginning with 1960's Breathless, which launched the French New Wave movement via its innovative use of jump cuts and continuity breaks, which influenced the likes of Martin Scorsese, Steven Soderbergh and Quentin Tarantino. Other gems in the Godard canon include A Woman Is a Woman, Band of Outsiders, Contempt, Masculine: Feminine and Alphaville.

While he might best be known for his role opposite Clint Eastwood in The Good, The Bad and the Ugly, Wallach's work has been anything but ugly. His Governor's Award honors a career dates back to the '50s and includes such classics as The Magnificent Seven, The Misfits and Lord Jim. At the age of 94, he continues to work, most recently in Roman Polanski's The Ghost Writer and Oliver Stone's forthcoming Wall Street: Money Never Sleeps.

Film historian Kevin Brownlow will also be given a statuette for his scholarly efforts when the Academy's second annual Governor's Awards dinner is held on Nov. 13.

Congrats, guys!

groucho070
26th October 2010, 12:23 PM
[tscii:708f81a112]Buuut.....:lol: (see news before this page)

http://artsbeat.blogs.nytimes.com/2010/10/25/godard-watch-ends-director-wont-attend-honorary-oscars-ceremony/?src=twt&twt=nytimesmovies

Godard Watch Ends: Director Won’t Attend Honorary Oscars Ceremony
By DAVE ITZKOFF

In a chaotic universe where all empirical stimuli is subjectively interpreted by imperfect observers, who is to say what does or does not happen? Jean-Luc Godard, for one: Mr. Godard, 79, the irascible filmmaker and a pioneer of the French New Wave movement, will definitely not be attending a special Oscars ceremony on Nov. 13 to pick up an honorary Academy Award, the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences said on Monday.

The question about Mr. Godard’s attendance at the Governors Awards has been an open one since the summer, when the academy said it would present honorary Oscars to Mr. Godard, the actor Eli Wallach, the film preservationist Kevin Brownlow and the director Francis Ford Coppola, who is receiving the Irving G. Thalberg Memorial Award.

At the time, Anne-Marie Miéville, Mr. Godard’s wife and collaborator, said her husband was put off by the fact that the award was being given out at an event held months before the Oscars ceremony. Ms. Miéville said: “He’s getting old for that kind of thing. Would you go all that way just for a bit of metal?” Shortly thereafter, the academy said it had received a handwritten note from Mr. Godard indicating he might make the trip after all.

Well, the academy can cancel that hotel reservation and take the Champagne off the ice. In a statement, the organization said that “following a two-month-long cordial exchange of correspondence with academy president Tom Sherak,” Mr. Godard would not be attending the ceremony.

The statement added that the Governors Awards will still pay tribute to Mr. Godard “through film clips and commentary by his admirers,” and the academy will arrange for Mr. Godard’s Oscar statuette to be sent to him in Switzerland. [/tscii:708f81a112]

Avadi to America
28th October 2010, 03:31 AM
http://www.eonline.com/uberblog/b197087_early_oscars_going_coppola_godard.html?utm _source=eonline&utm_medium=rssfeeds&utm_campaign=imdb_tv-movies

Early Oscars Going to Coppola, Godard, Wallach

The outsiders are now the insiders.

Legendary Hollywood rebel Francis Ford Coppola, cinematic provocateur Jean-Luc Godard and veteran character actor Eli Wallach have been tapped to receive this year's Governor's Awards from the Academy of Motion Picture Arts & Sciences, the folks behind the Oscars.

Coppola, a five-time Oscar winner already, will receive the Academy's prestigious Irving G. Thalberg Memorial Award for his five-decade career as a director, producer and writer of such classics as The Godfather trilogy, Apocalypse Now, The Conversation and The Outsiders.

Godard will be honored with a Governor's Award for an incredible body of work, beginning with 1960's Breathless, which launched the French New Wave movement via its innovative use of jump cuts and continuity breaks, which influenced the likes of Martin Scorsese, Steven Soderbergh and Quentin Tarantino. Other gems in the Godard canon include A Woman Is a Woman, Band of Outsiders, Contempt, Masculine: Feminine and Alphaville.

While he might best be known for his role opposite Clint Eastwood in The Good, The Bad and the Ugly, Wallach's work has been anything but ugly. His Governor's Award honors a career dates back to the '50s and includes such classics as The Magnificent Seven, The Misfits and Lord Jim. At the age of 94, he continues to work, most recently in Roman Polanski's The Ghost Writer and Oliver Stone's forthcoming Wall Street: Money Never Sleeps.

Film historian Kevin Brownlow will also be given a statuette for his scholarly efforts when the Academy's second annual Governor's Awards dinner is held on Nov. 13.

Congrats, guys!

liked his role in Wall street....

Nerd
14th December 2010, 07:46 PM
Globes for this year:
http://www.variety.com/article/VR1118028986?refcatid=13

Predictions? :-)

kid-glove
14th December 2010, 07:54 PM
No nomination for Peepli live (or was it Udhaan?)

FOREIGN-LANGUAGE FILM
Biutiful
The Concert
The Edge
I am Love
In a Better World

Pity Biutiful is foreign or Javier Bardem would smoke all the contenders for best actor (based on the reviews he got from Cannes)

Have to check out "The Fighter", apparently it's like the Raging bull meets Rocky.

Overwhelmingly positive vibes about Swan. Should win best actress..

kid-glove
14th December 2010, 07:54 PM
Johnny Depp :lol2:

True Grit got no nom.. Good news..

kid-glove
14th December 2010, 08:00 PM
Apart from Rahman, will look out for two other favorites, Ryan Gosling and Michelle Williams. Who both continue to act in these nice Indie films (Half Nelson and Wendy & Lucy are two such films). Now together they bring to our notice another unknown gem (or so I hope) in 'Blue Valentine'.

Nerd
14th December 2010, 08:03 PM
Best Picture - Black Swan (havent seen but Kaanfidant)
Actress - Natalie for sure. Btw I have seen Winter's bone and the lead was very impressive. But the film was a maha mokkai.
Actor - Franco? Very worst performances this year I thing.
Animated Feature - TS3.
Director - Nolan or Fincher
Screenplay - Ditto
Original Score - Zimmer will win I think. Purely based on law of averages. Havent seen / listened to 127 hours.
TV Series - Big Bang theory.

kid-glove
14th December 2010, 08:07 PM
Winter's bone, The kids are alright - two indie films I looked to download but couldn't find DVDRIP. Now the screener shoudl be out.

Boardwalk Empire should sweep TV awards

THe king's speech *ing Colin Firth - big-budget british film. This will be added to the queue. The snapshots seem quite interesting.

It's the award season folks. Find the cookie admidst the turkeys!

ajaybaskar
14th December 2010, 10:12 PM
Its gonna be Zimmer Vs ARR Vs composer of TSN

littlemaster1982
14th December 2010, 10:24 PM
Original Score - Zimmer will win I think. Purely based on law of averages. Havent seen / listened to 127 hours.

:exactly: I'm toning down my expectations too as I'm not sure if they would award someone twice in a row :?

venkkiram
14th December 2010, 10:28 PM
Its gonna be Zimmer Vs ARR Vs composer of TSNஇன்னும் 127 hours கேட்கல. Inception பின்னணி இசை கொடுத்த பிரமிப்பு இன்னும் அடங்கவில்லை. எப்படியோ Zimmer -உடன் ரஹ்மான் இசைக்கான விருதில் நேருக்கு நேர் மோதும் போட்டி எனக்குப் பிடித்திருக்கிறது. போட்டி என்றால் இப்படித்தான் இருக்கணும்.

kid-glove
14th December 2010, 10:36 PM
The category is pretty heavy weight - Alexandre Desplat and Danny Elfman are big names. Desplat is a personal favorite..

ajaybaskar
15th December 2010, 07:00 AM
Mine is Zimmer. If its not ARR i wud prefer Zimmer to win.

directhit
15th December 2010, 09:06 AM
Mine is Zimmer. If its not ARR i wud prefer Zimmer to win. +1

kid-glove
15th December 2010, 10:07 AM
Zimmer will start as favorite..

kid-glove
15th December 2010, 10:10 AM
Jesse Eisenberg - "The Social Network"

While he is good in TSN, I believe Di Caprio deserved a nom for Shutter Island..

Nerd
15th December 2010, 08:10 PM
Jesse Eisenberg - "The Social Network"

While he is good in TSN, I believe Di Caprio deserved a nom for Shutter Island..
Yeah. AbsoFlutely. Shutter island is my movie of the year ahead of TSN and Inception.

kid-glove
15th December 2010, 11:25 PM
Yes, SI is a glaring miss. As is True Grit - so it really pushes my hopes up. I finished reading the book. Can't wait to see what the Coens do with it. Then there's Sofia Coppola's film 'Somewhere' which won Golden Lion in Venice (somewhat controversial as QT was head of the jury).

And one other film we ought to bookmark is the TV movie "You Don't Know Jack", some great things said about Pacino here..

kid-glove
18th December 2010, 10:08 PM
Yes, SI is a glaring miss. As is True Grit - so it really pushes my hopes up. I finished reading the book. Can't wait to see what the Coens do with it. Then there's Sofia Coppola's film 'Somewhere' which won Golden Lion in Venice (somewhat controversial as QT was head of the jury).

And one other film we ought to bookmark is the TV movie "You Don't Know Jack", some great things said about Pacino here..
Watched it. Didn't like it. The film shouldn't just be about the performance. Enna thaan big issues (Euthanasia) and real-life documentation iruthalum, the writing and direction didn't make these characters interesting (forget 'relatable') on any level. Johny Goodman and Susan Saradon both make an interesting presence when they're first introduced, but they're all reduced to cardboard by the end. One ends up being a peripheral acquaintance and other into a much-involved patient without necessarily invoking an interest. Most of the characters and interactions were borderline dull (the attorney guy tries a bit much to be smug but in a dull way.), the biggest reason it all ended up emotionally distant is because of the way it's all recorded like medical consultation. :sigh2:

Pacino does well at certain points, that's about the only reason I ended up watching it. But in the end, I didn't find it nuanced because of his acting. There are moments where the writing itself brings the paranoia, obsession, flamboyance and heartfelt passion of the character out. There's even a line ('I don't know if he's rational, but he's certainly sane') to make our minds on him.

kid-glove
20th December 2010, 06:40 PM
Winter's bone

- Liked it. If it's Indie, it better be more like this..

kid-glove
20th December 2010, 06:42 PM
Have to add that the intermittent plot dynamics works against it..

Good lead performance.

kid-glove
22nd December 2010, 05:28 PM
Greenberg :thumbsup:

Why wasn't this nominated for any awards? Instead of likes of Depp being nominated for lousy performances, Ben Stiller deserved recognition. This is his "Punch Drunk Love".

kid-glove
5th January 2011, 01:14 AM
Black Swan

Like any cocktail of The Piano Teacher and All about Eve with shards of Red Shoes, Repulsion and Mulholland drive, it's appetizing and for extra ambition, surprisingly not quirky, but I'd prefer something more fulfilling.

Portman's performance was good (not great).

kid-glove
7th January 2011, 01:16 PM
[tscii:26b7d8ae16]http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/world/2011/0107/1224286963072.html

De Niro to head Cannes film jury

PARIS – Hollywood actor Robert De Niro will head the jury at this year’s Cannes film festival, the organisers said yesterday.

Raging Bull actor De Niro has already been the festival’s jury chief twice in the 1980s and will take charge of the 64th edition from May 11th to 22th.

“As co-founder of the Tribeca Film Festival and the Doha Tribeca Film Festival I have an increased appreciation for the jury who serve, undertaking an important role in choosing films that are represented in the world of film at its highest level,” De Niro said. – (Reuters)

Thalaivanukku pesavE varradhu.. Highly inarticulate with countless 'Okay's in all his intrees. [/tscii:26b7d8ae16]

kid-glove
15th January 2011, 10:43 PM
127 Hours

Could be watched once.

Franco :clap:

The biggest compliment I'd pay Rahman is that the ambient score just prods us without sticking out. Typical Boyle soundtrack in that respect. And certainly a better film of the new-Boyle, whose current work seem to be less inhibited by nihilism and griminess of the early work..

thamburaj
16th January 2011, 09:08 AM
On the golden man and globe award xpecting movies..

The kids are all right--Superb movie..My fav to win globe ...Annette Bening..cheers...
Black swan--Taut....Portie cutie may carry both..
Blue valentine--An okay movie..
True grit-Meh..... actually dint quite catch Jeff half the time..enna dialogue deliveryO...hav to watch in dvd once...until then ill happily watch my new collector's edition TBL...But why wud the Coens care when this is their all time best hit in the BO...
The kings speech--Wonderful...Inspiring..great wit all through..Loved it...Best Actor..Affcourse..but..( remember Clooney last time..)
Social network--idhu Padam..My choice for Best Pic without an iota of doubt...i really liked Justin and ..the new spiderman...
Inception-Only movie i watched thrice in Imax..ever...best original screenplay...hmmm
127 Hours---Better than the book..nicely written for the screen..great going Boyle..Franco..you da Mann!!
Toy story 3-Cant call it the best animation but the best mix of Anime plus emotion..loved 'spanish' buzz lightyear...
HTTYD--Very Good..but may not win..not wen TS3 released the same year..

yet to watch Winter's Bone,Rabbits hole,Fighter

Some Nominations are laffworthy like Depp for Tourist :roll: ..yeah right..More about red carpets nowadays...pongada ponga..

ajithfederer
17th January 2011, 10:57 AM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/68th_Golden_Globe_Awards#Number_of_wins

Best Drama - The social n/w. Same to director : David Fincher

Actor - Colin Firth, Actress - Natalie Pman

Supp Actor - Christian Bale

Best Orig Score - Trent Reznor, Atticus Ross - The Social Network

groucho070
18th January 2011, 06:50 AM
Did you guys catch De Niro's speech yesterday. I've never seen him like this, the standup routine. Wow!

thamburaj
18th January 2011, 10:39 AM
Did you guys catch De Niro's speech yesterday. I've never seen him like this, the standup routine. Wow!

oh it was wonderful ... esp the matt damon comment..got to see king of comedy live..

But my fav was RDJ..nonchalant and charming..id love him even as an xtra.. 8-)

and Ricky Gervais my god..was hes too good..but his airtime was too short..was it becos the honchos were displeased...
loved the Steve Carell and Tim Allen comments.. :lol:

groucho070
19th January 2011, 07:37 AM
The others are as usual, especially RDJ. But hardly see Ne Niro doing standup routine like this. And seemed unrehearsed too.

thamburaj
21st January 2011, 07:41 AM
Any thoughts on this list of 9 nominees for best foreign film oscar..?

Alejandro Gonzalez Inarritu's Mexican film 'Biutiful', starring Javier Bardem,
Algeria's 'Hors la Loi' (Outside the Law) by director Rachid Bouchareb,
Canada's 'Incendies' by Denis Villeneuve,
Denmark's 'In a Better World' by Susanne Bier,
Greece's 'Dogtooth' by Yorgos Lanthimos,
Japan's 'Confessions' by Tetsuya Nakashima,
South Africa 'Life, above All' by Oliver Schmitz,
Spain 'Tambien la Lluvia' by Iciar Bollain and
Sweden's 'Simple Simon' by Andreas Ohman.

AravindMano
21st January 2011, 08:50 AM
Have watched Dogtooth. Terrific film! But not 'oscar types'. Wouldn't be surprised if it gets chuck out in the next round.

thamburaj
21st January 2011, 11:11 AM
Have watched Dogtooth. Terrific film! But not 'oscar types'. Wouldn't be surprised if it gets chuck out in the next round.

Thanks Aravind.Luckily Dogtooth is already available on netflix on dvd...Will check it out..Others are yet to get released..

Querida
22nd January 2011, 07:40 AM
Want to watch "Incendies"

It's going to be Canada's film submission for Best Foreign-Language Film to the Oscars.

http://www.thestar.com/entertainment/movies/article/924907--incendies-purified-by-fire

Nerd
25th January 2011, 07:36 PM
http://a.oscar.go.com/media/2011/pdf/oscar_ballot_2011.pdf

Hope they all win:
* Rahman
* Rahman
* Bardem
* Fincher
* Nolan
* Toy Story 3

kid-glove
28th January 2011, 06:47 PM
Watched King's Speech...Very good. Impressed by this filmmaker. His earlier film Damned United is also of a different period and inspired by real life story, and of a sport that I most cherish.

But overall as an experience, King's Speech is an update on all levels..From the visual strengths (functional, not beyond the surface) to superlative acting performances by the ensemble cast.

Firth vs Bardem (whose performance I've only seen in bits and pieces, trailers and interviews) is RIGHT ON.

As for supporting characters, Geoffery Rush is excellent as always, Carter is impressive, and Guy Pearce surprisingly solid too..

kid-glove
29th January 2011, 01:30 PM
Animal Kingdom

Wonderful. A really worthy gem from Oz cinema .

kid-glove
29th January 2011, 01:34 PM
Jacki Weaver - deservedly nominated for Oscar. Great acting as the Mom whose scary as much as she earns sympathy. Very hard to pull that off.

And Guy Pearce follows up with another good performance here. There's earnestness in his performances this year (here as well as King's Speech).

ajithfederer
31st January 2011, 10:32 AM
Came home and switched on the TV Set, The Screen Actors Guild Awards is going on. Colin Firth won the best actor in a motion picture and the same cast won the best ensemble cast in a movie.

kid-glove
31st January 2011, 01:16 PM
Well deserved :thumbsup:

Melissa Leo and Bale are certainties for Oscar as well with their wins in both GG and SAG.

Tom Hooper wins DAG. So he's the favorite for Oscars too.

ajithfederer
14th February 2011, 10:43 AM
BAFTA Wins List

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/64th_British_Academy_Film_Awards

Best Actor

Colin Firth - The King's Speech

Best Film

The King's Speech

Best Actress

Natalie Portman - Black Swan

Best Adapted Screenplay

Aaron Sorkin - The Social Network

Best Director

David Fincher - The Social Network

Best Film not in the English Language

The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo (Män som hatar kvinnor) • Sweden/Denmark

Best Music

Alexandre Desplat - The King's Speech

Best Supporting Actor

Geoffrey Rush - The King's Speech

Best Supporting Actress

Helena Bonham Carter - The King's Speech

Outstanding British Film

The King's Speech

KV
23rd February 2011, 05:57 PM
An interesting article featuing an interview with Danny Cohen (DOP of The King's Speech)
http://www.studiodaily.com/main/technique/projects/12926.html

Nerd
28th February 2011, 07:12 PM
King's speech kku ivlo award-aa? Writing, direction, performance AND film :shock:

I have this prejudiced opinion that the film will suck so bad. I have no intentions of watching it, for no apparent reason.

kid-glove
28th February 2011, 07:31 PM
It's a nice little film of tenderly warmth and real feelings. Finely crafted (unlike the standard issue british chamber drama) & super ensemble cast. Firth deserves every bit of gold that came his way, much more difficult to earn feelings with the kind of gravitas that royal highness holds. And much unlike Bardem's in Biutiful, it's far less contrived for my money. There's no hollywood ending either. He lives with his defects, that's its whole point. But yeah, it'll be hated mercilessly after the Oscar win. In deed, quite an upset over The Social Network for Best picture. Although I think the direction award is about as deserving as other nominees incl. Fincher. Tom Hooper has finesse in making it as modern day relatable (To contemporary life issues/setbacks) as they are authentic. Which is why even "Damned United" works superbly. Transcending its genre (football management), just as TKS doesn't wear its period on the sleeve (much unlike Frears making 90's seem so privileged & monarchical in "The Queen").

Nerd
28th February 2011, 08:03 PM
I was hoping Fincher would win best director. Glad Inception won most technical awards, I would have preferred Nolan picking up the original screenplay. The only film I want to watch now is 'In a better world' and 127 hours of course.

cinema
28th February 2011, 08:23 PM
Oscar proved one more time that it is all about momentum and marketing and present. Social Network was robbed from the best directing and best movie award categories. Voters have very short sight and they can't even think of the whole year.

SoftSword
28th February 2011, 08:30 PM
I was hoping Fincher would win best director. Glad Inception won most technical awards, I would have preferred Nolan picking up the original screenplay. The only film I want to watch now is 'In a better world' and 127 hours of course.

nerd, did u go thru the link posted by grouch on donald duck? :)

Nerd
28th February 2011, 09:19 PM
nerd, did u go thru the link posted by grouch on donald duck? :)
No, where is that link? :oops:

SoftSword
28th February 2011, 09:32 PM
We always bitch and moan about how unoriginal TFI filmakers are. Well, check this out (http://www.cracked.com/article_19021_5-amazing-things-invented-by-donald-duck-seriously.html)

(a honest rip from groucho's post)

V_S
1st March 2011, 02:45 AM
How and why did 'The Social Network' lose to 'The King's Speech'? as TSN was a clear favorite to win the 'Best Picture' and 'Best Director' oscar till early January.
http://theenvelope.latimes.com/news/la-et-oscar-mojo-20110228,0,5480590.story
-By John Horn and Nicole Sperling, Los Angeles Times

groucho070
1st March 2011, 06:58 AM
Yesterday I was at home nursing the spot where my wisdom tooth was, and I didn't watch the live telecast, knowing well the show's gonna suck. They repeated the telecast at night, and I was right. Only thing different from MTV awards is here they wear tux and evening gown. The Oscar, as a show, as gone to the dogs. The mongrel type.

VENKIRAJA
1st March 2011, 10:22 AM
Happy for the Social Network. Adapted screenplay, Music and Editing.

venkkiram
14th July 2011, 10:48 PM
Emmy Nominations: 'Mildred Pierce,' 'Mad Men' Lead (http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/emmy-nominations-mildred-pierce-mad-211269)

The HBO Kate Winslet starrer earns 21 noms, A&E's "Men" gets 19 ....

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/sites/default/files/2011/07/mildredpierce17_a_p.jpg

வாழ்த்துக்கள் Kate !

:notworthy:

kid-glove
13th September 2011, 12:15 PM
BERLIN:
Golden Bear for Best Film - Nader and Simin, A Separation by Asghar Farhadi[11]
Silver Bears
Jury Grand Prix: The Turin Horse by Béla Tarr
Best Director: Ulrich Köhler for Sleeping Sickness
Best Actress: the actress ensemble of Nader and Simin, A Separation
Best Actor: the actor ensemble of Nader and Simin, A Separation
Outstanding Artistic Achievement in the Category Production Design: Barbara Enriquez for The Prize
Outstanding Artistic Achievement in the Category Camera: Wojciech Staron for The Prize
Best Script: Joshua Marston and Andamion Murataj for The Forgiveness of Blood
Alfred Bauer Prize for a work of particular innovation: If Not Us, Who? by Andres Veiel
Honorary Golden Bear[12]
Armin Mueller-Stahl
Crystal Bears
Generation Kplus (Feature Length Film): The Liverpool Goalie by Arild Andresen
Generation14plus (Feature Length Film): On the Ice by Andrew Okpeaha MacLean
FIPRESCI Prizes
Competition: The Turin Horse by Béla Tarr
Panorama: Top Floor Left Wing by Angelo Cianci
Forum: Heaven's Story by Takahisa Zeze
Golden Bear for Best Short Film - Night Fishing by Park Chan-wook and Park Chan-kyong

CANNES:
Palme d'Or - The Tree of Life by Terrence Malick
Grand Prix - Once Upon a Time in Anatolia by Nuri Bilge Ceylan and The Kid with a Bike by Jean-Pierre and Luc Dardenne
Prix de la mise en scène - Nicolas Winding Refn for Drive
Prix du scénario - Footnote by Joseph Cedar
Jury Prize - Polisse by Maïwenn
Prix d'interprétation féminine - Kirsten Dunst for Melancholia
Prix d'interprétation masculine - Jean Dujardin for The Artist
Camera d'Or - Las Acacias by Pablo Giorgelli
Palme d'Or du court métrage – Cross by Maryna Vroda
Un Certain Regard[25]
Prize of Un Certain Regard - Arirang by Kim Ki-duk and Stopped on Track by Andreas Dresen
Special Jury Prize - Elena by Andrey Zvyagintsev
Directing Prize - Mohammad Rasoulov for Goodbye
Cinéfondation
1st Prize - The Letter by Doroteya Droumeva
2nd Prize - Drari by Kamal Nazraq
3rd Prize - Fly by Night by Son Tae-gyum
Independent sections
Critics' Week[26]
Grand Prix Nespresso – Take Shelter by Jeff Nichols
Special Mention from the Jury President - Snowtown by Justin Kurzel
Prix SACD – Take Shelter by Jeff Nichols
ACID/CCAS Prize - Les Acacias by Pablo Giorgelli
Very Young Critics Prize - Les Acacias by Pablo Giorgelli
Independent awards
FIPRESCI Awards[27]
In Competition - Le Havre by Aki Kaurismäki
Un Certain Regard - The Minister by Pierre Schöller
Critics' Week or Directors' Fortnight - Take Shelter by Jeff Nichols
Ecumenical Jury
Prize of the Ecumenical Jury - This Must Be the Place by Paolo Sorrentino
Special Mention - Le Havre by Aki Kaurismäki
Special Mention - Where Do We Go Now? by Nadine Labaki
Palm Dog[28]
Palm Dog Award - Uggy for The Artist
Special Jury Prize - Laika for Le Havre
Queer Palm[29]
Queer Palm Award for Beauty by Olivier Hermanus

VENICE
Venezia 68
Leone d'Oro (Golden Lion) for the best film: Faust
Leone d'Argento (Silver Lion) for the best director: Cai Shangjun, for People Mountain People Sea
Special Jury Prize: Terraferma by Emanuele Crialese
Coppa Volpi for the Best Actor: Michael Fassbender, for Shame
Coppa Volpi for the Best Actress: Deanie Ip, for A Simple Life
Premio Marcello Mastroianni, for the best emerging actor or actress: Shôta Sometani and Fumi Nikaidô for Himizu
Osella for Best Cinematography: Robbie Ryan for Wuthering Heights
Osella for Best Screenplay: Yorgos Lanthimos and Efthimis Filippou for Alps
"Luigi de Laurentis" Award for a Debut Film: Là-bas by Guido Lombardi
Horizons – 'Premio orrizonti'
Premio Orizzonti (Orizzonti prize): Kotoko by Shinya Tsukamoto (Japan)
Special Orizonti jury prize: Whores' Glory by Michael Glawogger (Austria, Germany)
Premio Orizzonti awards for medium-length film: Accidentes Gloriosos by Mauro Andrizzi and Marcus Lindeen (Sweden, Denmark, Germany)
Premio Orizzonti award for short film: In attesa dell'avvento by Felice D'Agostino and Arturo Lavorato (Italy)
Special Mentions:
O Le Tulafale (The Orator) by Tusi Tamasese (New Zealand, Samoa)
All The Lines Flow Out by Charles LIM Yi Yong (Singapore)
Collateral Prizes
Leoncino d'oro Agiscuola: Carnage by Roman Polanski;
32/a segnalazione Cinema for Unicef: Terraferma by Emanuele Crialese;
Premio del pubblico Kino della Settimana della critica: La-bas by Guido Lombardi;
Premio Label by Europa Cinemas for best european film in Venice Days section: Presume Coupable by Vincent Garenq;
Premio 'Francesco Pasinetti' by Sngci for best film: Terraferma by Emanuele Crialese;
Premio Pasinetti for best bebut: The Last Man on Earth by Gian Alfonso Pacinotti;
Premio Fondazione Mimmo Rotella: The Last Man on Earth by Gian Alfonso Pacinotti and special mention for Pasta nera by Alessandro Piva;
Premio del Dipartimento per le Pari Opportunita' a Tao jie by Ann Hui;
Biografilm Lancia Award: Black Block by Carlo Augusto Bachschmidt;
Future Film Festival Digital Award: Faust by Alexander Sokurov and special mention for Kotoko by Shinya Tsukamoto;
Queer Lion for the best Movie with LGBT Themes & Queer Culture: Wilde Salome by Al Pacino;
Brian Prize by UAAR: The Ides of March by George Clooney.

kid-glove
13th September 2011, 12:20 PM
Surprise in Venice (or not much really if you had seen McQueen's Hunger) is Fassbender winning Volpi for Shame ahead of Oldman in TTSS.

“I would like to thank all the actors who have been here - in particular Gary Oldman. He's my hero.' , Fassbender says..

ajithfederer
18th September 2011, 02:20 AM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/63rd_Primetime_Emmy_Awards

Primetime emmy's tomorrow telecasted in Fox. Hoping AMC Show's/Actor's/Actresses and Dexter grab some awards.

ajithfederer
18th September 2011, 02:24 AM
And of course anything for Two and a Half men. Jon Cryer has a Nommi, i guess.

ajithfederer
19th September 2011, 10:57 AM
http://images2.fanpop.com/image/photos/13600000/mad-Men-season-4-promotional-images-mad-men-13678459-1543-1000.jpg

4th consecutive year Prime Time Emmy :clap:. Already a 4 time winner Consec winner of Golden Globes. Mad Men is truly a deserved winner of craft, story, acting and production. Congrats :clap:

kid-glove
15th December 2011, 08:21 PM
http://www.goldenglobes.org/blog/2011/12/the-69th-annual-golden-globe-awards-nominations/

Cranston vs Grammer vs Damian Lewis is far more of a contest, Motion pictures: Fassbender for Shame all day & night.

Idris Elba for Luther would suit nicely. Anyways, since when do we take GG seriously in other categories. Acting aside, it holds no prestige

kid-glove
15th December 2011, 08:32 PM
Woody isn't going to attend the Globes anyway! How many great award speeches have we missed though? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vUvr33UTf6s

ajithfederer
16th January 2012, 09:35 AM
Golden Globes, USA: 2012
Just Announced...

Best Motion Picture - Drama
Winner: The Descendants (2011)

Best Performance by an Actor in a Motion Picture - Drama
Winner: George Clooney for The Descendants (2011)

Best Motion Picture - Musical or Comedy
Winner: The Artist (2011)

Best Performance by an Actress in a Motion Picture - Drama
Winner: Meryl Streep for The Iron Lady (2011)

Best Performance by an Actor in a Motion Picture - Musical or Comedy
Winner: Jean Dujardin for The Artist (2011)

Best Television Series - Musical or Comedy
Winner: "Modern Family" (2009)

Best Director - Motion Picture
Winner: Martin Scorsese for Hugo (2011/II)

Best Performance by an Actress in a Supporting Role in a Motion Picture
Winner: Octavia Spencer for The Help (2011)

Best Performance by an Actor in a Television Series - Musical or Comedy
Winner: Matt LeBlanc for "Episodes" (2011)

Best Performance by an Actress in a Television Series - Drama
Winner: Claire Danes for "Homeland" (2011)

Best Foreign Language Film
Winner: A Separation (2011)(Iran)

Best Performance by an Actress in a Supporting Role in a Series, Mini-Series or Motion Picture Made for Television
Winner: Jessica Lange for "American Horror Story" (2011)

Best Screenplay - Motion Picture
Winner: Midnight in Paris (2011) - Woody Allen

Best Animated Film
Winner: The Adventures of Tintin (2011)

Best Performance by an Actor in a Supporting Role in a Series, Mini-Series or Motion Picture Made for Television
Winner: Peter Dinklage for "Game of Thrones" (2011)

Best Performance by an Actress in a Motion Picture - Musical or Comedy
Winner: Michelle Williams for My Week with Marilyn (2011)

Best Performance by an Actor in a Mini-Series or a Motion Picture Made for Television
Winner: Idris Elba for "Luther" (2010)

Best Original Song - Motion Picture
Winner: W.E. (2011) - Madonna, Julie Frost, Jimmy Harry("Masterpiece")

Best Original Score - Motion Picture
Winner: The Artist (2011) - Ludovic Bource

Best Television Series - Drama
Winner: "Homeland" (2011)

Best Performance by an Actor in a Television Series - Drama
Winner: Kelsey Grammer for "Boss" (2011)

Best Performance by an Actress in a Mini-Series or a Motion Picture Made for Television
Winner: Kate Winslet for "Mildred Pierce" (2011)

Best Mini-Series or Motion Picture Made for Television
Winner: "Downton Abbey" (2010)

Best Performance by an Actress in a Television Series - Musical or Comedy
Winner: Laura Dern for "Enlightened" (2011)

Best Performance by an Actor in a Supporting Role in a Motion Picture
Winner: Christopher Plummer for Beginners (2010)

directhit
16th January 2012, 10:09 AM
Best Performance by an Actress in a Television Series - Drama
Winner: Claire Danes for "Homeland" (2011)

Best Television Series - Drama
Winner: "Homeland" (2011)
:thumbsup:

kid-glove
16th January 2012, 11:19 AM
Fassbender robbed, shock horror. :lol2:

Like Boss, Like Kelsey, but a joke Cranston hadn't won a globe for Walter White yet!

Good to see Idris Elba winning for "Luther". Nice show!

kid-glove
16th January 2012, 11:25 AM
Plummer recognized for "Beginners" :thumbsup: Melanie Laurent, Ewan McGregor should have been nominated, as should have Mike Mills, if you ask me.

I'm intrigued by "Downton Abbey" even more, had heard a lot about it.

VENKIRAJA
16th January 2012, 02:08 PM
Golden Globes, USA: 2012
Just Announced...
Best Animated Film
Winner: The Adventures of Tintin (2011)

Nonsense behavior exhibition :evil:

kid-glove
17th January 2012, 12:40 PM
When the competition is ARTHUR CHRISTMAS / CARS 2 / PUSS IN BOOTS. It's going to be Rango or Tintin, anyways nice to have two live-action filmmakers competing in this category. But where is Brad Bird for MI-4, in live-action directing category. Ahead of Clooney to me.

ajithfederer
17th January 2012, 12:52 PM
http://voxxi.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/12/MerylStreepIronLadyAP1.jpg

Streep amma :clap:.

groucho070
17th January 2012, 01:19 PM
How I have changed from someone who used to took a day off to watch the Oscars to someone who don't give a rodent's rear. Yesterday, watching some portion of repeat telecast of Golden Globe, I looked at wife's tummy and said, "baby, hope you will be a film buff and inspire acchan too".

kid-glove
17th January 2012, 08:45 PM
Bet no one here (incl. myself) saw GG. I wanted to see it for Gervais, but knew the power of youtube could save all the trouble of having to wake up & see it live.

kid-glove
17th January 2012, 08:50 PM
After seeing it this year, it seems like his 2010 performance. 2011 will never be repeated again. The exchange with Depp was class, what a sport!

Nerd
24th January 2012, 10:52 PM
http://www.imdb.com/oscars/nominations/

Worstu year (for me). Have only seen 2 films from the ones nominated for major categories. Midnight in Paris (my best film, best direction best writing esra) and Bridesmaids :oops:

ajithfederer
25th January 2012, 10:53 AM
From the above link

Best Motion Picture of the Year
Nominees:
The Artist (2011): Thomas Langmann
The Descendants (2011): Jim Burke, Alexander Payne, Jim Taylor
Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close (2011): Scott Rudin
The Help (2011): Brunson Green, Chris Columbus, Michael Barnathan
Hugo (2011/II): Graham King, Martin Scorsese
Midnight in Paris (2011): Letty Aronson, Stephen Tenenbaum
Moneyball (2011): Michael De Luca, Rachael Horovitz, Brad Pitt
The Tree of Life (2011): Nominees to be determined
War Horse (2011): Steven Spielberg, Kathleen Kennedy

Best Performance by an Actor in a Leading Role
Nominees:
Demián Bichir for A Better Life (2011)
George Clooney for The Descendants (2011)
Jean Dujardin for The Artist (2011)
Gary Oldman for Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy (2011)
Brad Pitt for Moneyball (2011)

Best Performance by an Actress in a Leading Role
Nominees:
Glenn Close for Albert Nobbs (2011)
Viola Davis for The Help (2011)
Rooney Mara for The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo (2011)
Meryl Streep for The Iron Lady (2011)
Michelle Williams for My Week with Marilyn (2011)

Best Performance by an Actor in a Supporting Role
Nominees:
Kenneth Branagh for My Week with Marilyn (2011)
Jonah Hill for Moneyball (2011)
Nick Nolte for Warrior (2011)
Christopher Plummer for Beginners (2010)
Max von Sydow for Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close (2011)

Best Performance by an Actress in a Supporting Role
Nominees:
Bérénice Bejo for The Artist (2011)
Jessica Chastain for The Help (2011)
Melissa McCarthy for Bridesmaids (2011)
Janet McTeer for Albert Nobbs (2011)
Octavia Spencer for The Help (2011)

Best Achievement in Directing
Nominees:
Woody Allen for Midnight in Paris (2011)
Michel Hazanavicius for The Artist (2011)
Terrence Malick for The Tree of Life (2011)
Alexander Payne for The Descendants (2011)
Martin Scorsese for Hugo (2011/II)

Best Writing, Screenplay Written Directly for the Screen
Nominees:
The Artist (2011): Michel Hazanavicius
Bridesmaids (2011): Kristen Wiig, Annie Mumolo
Margin Call (2011): J.C. Chandor
Midnight in Paris (2011): Woody Allen
A Separation (2011): Asghar Farhadi

Best Writing, Screenplay Based on Material Previously Produced or Published
Nominees:
The Descendants (2011): Alexander Payne, Nat Faxon, Jim Rash
Hugo (2011/II): John Logan
The Ides of March (2011): George Clooney, Grant Heslov, Beau Willimon
Moneyball (2011): Steven Zaillian, Aaron Sorkin, Stan Chervin
Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy (2011): Bridget O'Connor, Peter Straughan

Best Animated Feature Film of the Year
Nominees:
A Cat in Paris (2010): Alain Gagnol, Jean-Loup Felicioli
Chico & Rita (2010): Fernando Trueba, Javier Mariscal
Kung Fu Panda 2 (2011): Jennifer Yuh
Puss in Boots (2011): Chris Miller
Rango (2011): Gore Verbinski

Best Foreign Language Film of the Year
Nominees:
Bullhead (2011): Michael R. Roskam(Belgium)
Footnote (2011): Joseph Cedar(Israel)
In Darkness (2011): Agnieszka Holland(Poland)
Monsieur Lazhar (2011): Philippe Falardeau(Canada)
A Separation (2011): Asghar Farhadi(Iran)

Best Achievement in Cinematography
Nominees:
The Artist (2011): Guillaume Schiffman
The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo (2011): Jeff Cronenweth
Hugo (2011/II): Robert Richardson
The Tree of Life (2011): Emmanuel Lubezki
War Horse (2011): Janusz Kaminski

Best Achievement in Editing
Nominees:
The Artist (2011): Anne-Sophie Bion, Michel Hazanavicius
The Descendants (2011): Kevin Tent
The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo (2011): Angus Wall, Kirk Baxter
Hugo (2011/II): Thelma Schoonmaker
Moneyball (2011): Christopher Tellefsen

Best Achievement in Art Direction
Nominees:
The Artist (2011): Laurence Bennett, Robert Gould
Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 2 (2011): Stuart Craig, Stephenie McMillan
Hugo (2011/II): Dante Ferretti, Francesca Lo Schiavo
Midnight in Paris (2011): Anne Seibel, Hélène Dubreuil
War Horse (2011): Rick Carter, Lee Sandales

Best Achievement in Costume Design
Nominees:
Anonymous (2011/I): Lisy Christl
The Artist (2011): Mark Bridges
Hugo (2011/II): Sandy Powell
Jane Eyre (2011): Michael O'Connor
W.E. (2011): Arianne Phillips

Best Achievement in Makeup
Nominees:
Albert Nobbs (2011): Martial Corneville, Lynn Johnson, Matthew W. Mungle
Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 2 (2011): Nick Dudman, Amanda Knight, Lisa Tomblin
The Iron Lady (2011): Mark Coulier, J. Roy Helland

Best Achievement in Music Written for Motion Pictures, Original Score
Nominees:
The Adventures of Tintin (2011): John Williams
The Artist (2011): Ludovic Bource
Hugo (2011/II): Howard Shore
Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy (2011): Alberto Iglesias
War Horse (2011): John Williams

Best Achievement in Music Written for Motion Pictures, Original Song
Nominees:
The Muppets (2011): Bret McKenzie("Man or Muppet")
Rio (2011): Sergio Mendes, Carlinhos Brown, Siedah Garrett("Real in Rio")

Best Achievement in Sound Mixing
Nominees:
The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo (2011): David Parker, Michael Semanick, Ren Klyce, Bo Persson
Hugo (2011/II): Tom Fleischman, John Midgley
Moneyball (2011): Deb Adair, Ron Bochar, David Giammarco, Ed Novick
Transformers: Dark of the Moon (2011): Greg P. Russell, Gary Summers, Jeffrey J. Haboush, Peter J. Devlin
War Horse (2011): Gary Rydstrom, Andy Nelson, Tom Johnson, Stuart Wilson

Best Achievement in Sound Editing
Nominees:
Drive (2011): Lon Bender, Victor Ray Ennis
The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo (2011): Ren Klyce
Hugo (2011/II): Philip Stockton, Eugene Gearty
Transformers: Dark of the Moon (2011): Ethan Van der Ryn, Erik Aadahl
War Horse (2011): Richard Hymns, Gary Rydstrom

Best Achievement in Visual Effects
Nominees:
Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 2 (2011): Tim Burke, David Vickery, Greg Butler, John Richardson
Hugo (2011/II): Robert Legato, Joss Williams, Ben Grossmann, Alex Henning
Real Steel (2011): Erik Nash, John Rosengrant, Danny Gordon Taylor, Swen Gillberg
Rise of the Planet of the Apes (2011): Joe Letteri, Dan Lemmon, R. Christopher White, Daniel Barrett
Transformers: Dark of the Moon (2011): Scott Farrar, Scott Benza, Matthew E. Butler, John Frazier

Best Documentary, Features
Nominees:
Hell and Back Again (2011): Danfung Dennis, Mike Lerner
If a Tree Falls: A Story of the Earth Liberation Front (2011): Marshall Curry, Sam Cullman
Paradise Lost 3: Purgatory (2011): Joe Berlinger, Bruce Sinofsky
Pina (2011): Wim Wenders, Gian-Piero Ringel
Undefeated (2011): Daniel Lindsay, T.J. Martin, Rich Middlemas

Best Documentary, Short Subjects
Nominees:
The Barber of Birmingham: Foot Soldier of the Civil Rights Movement (2011): Robin Fryday, Gail Dolgin
God Is the Bigger Elvis: Rebecca Cammisa, Julie Anderson
Incident in New Baghdad (2011): James Spione
Saving Face (2011/II): Daniel Junge, Sharmeen Obaid-Chinoy
The Tsunami and the Cherry Blossom (2011): Lucy Walker, Kira Carstensen

Best Short Film, Animated
Nominees:
Dimanche (2011): Patrick Doyon
The Fantastic Flying Books of Mr. Morris Lessmore (2011): William Joyce, Brandon Oldenburg
La Luna (2011): Enrico Casarosa
A Morning Stroll (2011): Grant Orchard, Sue Goffe
Wild Life (2011): Amanda Forbis, Wendy Tilby

Best Short Film, Live Action
Nominees:
Pentecost (2011): Peter McDonald
Raju (2011): Max Zähle, Stefan Gieren
The Shore: Terry George, Oorlagh George
Time Freak (2011): Andrew Bowler, Gigi Causey
Tuba Atlantic (2010): Hallvar Witzø

All bolded ones camaan yaa :smokesmirk:

kid-glove
25th January 2012, 11:16 AM
Allan, Malick, Scorsese, Oldman, Iglesias, Plummer, Farhadi - :thumbsup: Overall, meh.

Oscar's the main event. Rich people dressed up, having champagne, & thanking each other. Bafta is a tad better, Oldman vs Fassbender..Bafta's got Senna vs We need to talk about Kevin, A Separation vs The Skin I live in.

Forget lead acting, it's all about the dogs this year: Beginners, Tintin, Anatolia, The Artist, Tyrannosaur, 50/50, Take Shelter. But the oscar goes to 'Rosie 47' for "People vs Arry Redknapp" :lol2:

kubrick
25th January 2012, 02:57 PM
What happened to The Skin I Live In? It was a very good film, we don't even have to compare it with War Horse and all.

ajithfederer
30th January 2012, 11:16 PM
SAG Awards out : Clooney and Streep Miss out. The help wins big.

http://www.sagawards.org/awards/nominees-and-recipients/18th-annual-screen-actors-guild-awards

tamizharasan
10th February 2012, 12:02 AM
It looks like "The Artist" is going to make it big in the oscars this year.

NOV
27th February 2012, 08:01 AM
Academy Awards... going on now....

NOV
27th February 2012, 08:02 AM
Best Foreign Language Film - A Separation (Iran)

Best Costume Design - The Artist

Best Make Up - The Iron Lady

Best Art Direction - Hugo

Best Cinematography - Hugo

Best Sound Editing - Hugo

groucho070
27th February 2012, 08:19 AM
One reason to watch Oscar this year: Billy Crystal.

directhit
27th February 2012, 08:29 AM
Hugo winning quite a lot - :thumbsup:

NOV
27th February 2012, 08:38 AM
Crystal is so old....
and now, another old man getting the award....

Best Supporting Actor - Christopher Plummer

Best Visual Effects - Hugo

Best Animated Feature - Rango

Best Documentary Feature - Undefeated

Best Sound Mixing - Hugo

NOV
27th February 2012, 08:41 AM
HUGO
Director: Martin Scorsese
Writers: John Logan (screenplay), Brian Selznick (book)
Stars: Asa Butterfield, Chloë Grace Moretz and Christopher Lee

Hugo is an orphan boy living in the walls of a train station in the 1930s in Paris. He fixes clocks and other gadgets as he learned to from his father and uncle. The only thing that he has left that connects him to his father is an automaton that doesn't work; Hugo has to find its heart-shaped key. On his adventures, he meets with a cranky old man who works in the train station and his adventure-seeking god-daughter. Hugo finds that they have a surprising connection to his father and the automaton, and as he discovers it, the old man starts remembering his past and his significance to the world of film-making.

Balaji.r
27th February 2012, 08:55 AM
Good to see Hugo accumulating till now. Would have been nice to have Tintin on the oscar race, looks like easy win for Rango this year.

Nerd
27th February 2012, 09:06 AM
Woody and Payne. Whoa! Just what I wanted for once.. :clap:

venkkiram
27th February 2012, 09:18 AM
Congrats Rango :notworthy:

http://www.greatlakeskids.org/wp-content/uploads/2012/02/rango-poster.jpg

NOV
27th February 2012, 09:20 AM
Best Documentary Feature - Saving Face

Best Live Action Short Film - The Shore

Best Original Screenplay (Writing) - Woody Allen, "Midnight in Paris"

Best Adapted Screenplay (Writing) - Alexander Payne and Nat Faxon & Jim Rash, "The Descendants"

Best Original Song - Bret McKenzie ("Man or Muppet" from The Muppets)

Best Original Score - The Artist (Ludovic Bource)

NOV
27th February 2012, 09:34 AM
AR Rahman: If you are watching the Oscars live, catch our Oscar superband headed by Hans Zimmer perform tonight

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/s720x720/417155_10150563662766720_63441126719_9461208_19829 47802_n.jpg

venkkiram
27th February 2012, 09:51 AM
ARR rocks!

Nerd
27th February 2012, 09:52 AM
Rahman is a surprise :thumbsup:

V_S
27th February 2012, 09:54 AM
Yes, I was jumping when I saw Rahman singing. It was just for very few moments though :sad:

V_S
27th February 2012, 09:56 AM
Martin Scorsese, Spielberg, John Williams (having two nominations for original score), Howard Shore all missed oscars. :sad:

venkkiram
27th February 2012, 10:02 AM
Meryl Streep :notworthy:

போதும்! இதோட ஓடிப் போயிடு! இனிமே இந்தப் பக்கம் வந்துடாத!

V_S
27th February 2012, 10:07 AM
It looks like "The Artist" is going to make it big in the oscars this year.
:thumbsup: What a forecast!

venkkiram
27th February 2012, 10:08 AM
The Artist :notworthy: for collecting 5!

NOV
27th February 2012, 10:14 AM
Best Picture - The Artist

Best Leading Actress - Meryl Streep (The Iron Lady)

Best Leading Actor - Jean Dujardin (The Artist)

Best Director - Michel Hazanavicius (The Artist)

Best Animated Short - The Fantastic Flying Books of Mr. Morris Lessmore

Best Documentary Feature - Saving Face

Best Live Action Short Film - The Shore

Best Adapted Screenplay (Writing) - Alexander Payne and Nat Faxon & Jim Rash, "The Descendants"

Best Original Song - Bret McKenzie ("Man or Muppet" from The Muppets)

Best Original Score - The Artist (Ludovic Bource)

Best Supporting Actor - Christopher Plummer

Best Visual Effects - Hugo

Best Animated Feature - Rango

Best Documentary Feature - Undefeated

Best Sound Mixing - Hugo

Best Sound Editing - Hugo

Best Film Editing - The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo

Best Supporting Actress - Octavia Spencer (The Help)

Best Foreign Language Film - A Separation (Iran)

Best Costume Design - The Artist

Best Make Up - The Iron Lady

Best Art Direction - Hugo

Best Cinematography - Hugo

Jean Hersholt Humanitarian Award - Oprah Winfrey

Honorary Award - James Earl Jones

Honorary Award - Dick Smith

Gordon E. Sawyer Award - Douglas Trumbull

Award of Merit - ARRI cameras

Arvind Srinivasan
27th February 2012, 10:35 AM
Meryl Streep.....what an actress.....:clap:
and a huge :clap: for 'The Artist'

NOV
27th February 2012, 12:09 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=Adzywe9xeIU

ajaybaskar
27th February 2012, 12:19 PM
Happy for 'A Separation'. Deserving win. :clap:

P_R
27th February 2012, 01:51 PM

njaan ee varusham kaNduttuNda orE chithram :clap:
86-ku appuRam ippodhaanaamE. Silly fellows.
vazhakkam pOla engaaLu varalai. thabaal-la amichchu vitrungappA.

tamizharasan
27th February 2012, 08:14 PM
When Meryl Streep got the oscar, I thought they should recognize some other actress instead of her. But after realized the fact that it is her second best actress award other than one best supporting actress award, I thought she definitely deserved it. Second win from her 14 best actress nominations. one best supporting actress from 3 nomination. Overall 3 win from 17 nominations. Undoubtedly all time greatest.

tamizharasan
27th February 2012, 08:19 PM
The Artist win was not surprising considering the quality of the movie. IMO definitely best for this year. I could not say the same thing about last year's best picture though.

V_S
27th February 2012, 08:31 PM
Only happy moment for me in yesterday's show is Woody Allen winning after a long time :notworthy:, of course the next is meryl streep winning for the third time after 17 nominations. But this time, somehow they could not keep the surprise element throughout. They gave first two oscars to Hugo which gave a clue it is going to win more technical categories. Same with the case with Meryl. When Billy Crystal introduced her, he said she won only two times out of 17 nominations and she is also nominated today, which again gave a big clue that she is going to win. Again, Artist when they started winning main categories, it was very obvious that they are going to win the Best picture also.

SoftSword
27th February 2012, 08:51 PM
AR Rahman: If you are watching the Oscars live, catch our Oscar superband headed by Hans Zimmer perform tonight

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/s720x720/417155_10150563662766720_63441126719_9461208_19829 47802_n.jpg

nov, idhellaam ARR threadla podradhillayae...
masterrrrrrrr :evil:

tamizharasan
27th February 2012, 08:58 PM
I was happy to see ARR on the oscar again.

wizzy
27th February 2012, 09:14 PM
nov, idhellaam ARR threadla podradhillayae...
masterrrrrrrr :evil:
:lol:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F8oknY-Th4Q

V_S
27th February 2012, 09:49 PM
Even at their stage (Oscars), ARR composing a song and naming it in thamizh (sangamam) truly shows his heart. Shaashtaanga :notworthy: to ARR. :thumbsup:

Nerd
27th February 2012, 10:17 PM
Yes, I was jumping when I saw Rahman singing. It was just for very few moments though :sad:

Yeah was a huge surprise for me too. I did not read his tweet or NOV's post here before that. Was absolutely thrilled.

Artist paakka company kidaikka maattengudhu, ootykku thaniyaathaan pOvanum pOla.. :cry:

SoftSword
27th February 2012, 10:21 PM
Yeah was a huge surprise for me too. I did not read his tweet or NOV's post here before that. Was absolutely thrilled.

Artist paakka company kidaikka maattengudhu, ootykku thaniyaathaan pOvanum pOla.. :cry:

indha maadhiri padatthula dhaan koottame irukkadhu nerd.. thaniya poi enna panradhu...
ookamadhu kaividel...

VENKIRAJA
27th February 2012, 10:30 PM
Rango, Seriously? Bad year for Animation films. KFP2 was a better film. At least the kids would've enjoyed that one.

V_S
27th February 2012, 10:49 PM
I too was surprised. I didn't watch Rango, but KF2 should have won. I even expected Adventures of Tintin (a movie I love a lot), but it was not even nominated. I believe 'Animation - Motion Capture' films like Polar Express, Christmas Carol, Tintin does not impress the Academy at all, I believe. Tintin was not even a hit unlike the other two films.
It is still a puzzle how Academy picked up Happy Feet for Cars in 2007. Happy Feet was such a horrible film, atleast to me.

ajaybaskar
28th February 2012, 12:24 PM
From a facebooker (Shared by Venkiraja)

ஆஹா..! தனது La Separation படத்திற்காக சிறந்த அயல் மொழித் திரைப்படத்துக்கான ஆஸ்கர் வென்ற இயக்குநர் ஃபர்ஹாடிக்கு நேற்று வாழ்த்து சொல்லி மின்னஞ்சல் செய்திருந்தேன். இரவோடு இரவாக நன்றி தெரிவித்தும் என் முயற்சிகளுக்கு வாழ்த்து சொல்லியும் ரிப்ளை செய்திருக்கிறார். 'ஃபர்ஹாடி... சினிமாவைத் தவிரவும் உங்களிடம் கற்றுக்கொள்ள ஏராளம் இருக்கிறது..!'

kid-glove
28th February 2012, 12:32 PM
The Artist, like The King's speech or Slumdog Millionaire, owes a lot to the producers/distributors who distribute/promote screeners for the jury. So well done Harvey Weinstein. :clap:

Found it to be boring this year. Thrilled for Farhadi. Dragon tattoo won for editing, so deservedly. Hugo, I'm yet to watch..

It'd have been nice for Portman to award Oldman. And in her speech, she noted the nuance & restraint portrayal of coldest(Antithetical of the coolest) spy. Two decade past since she witnessed live the tour-de-force performance of pill-popping murderous DEA agent. That was so loud that it'd break Smiley's owl-rimmed spectacles.

groucho070
28th February 2012, 12:36 PM
Watched the repeated telecast last night. Slightly disappointed with Crystal. First Oscar show that I stopped watching early. Yawn.

raagadevan
10th January 2013, 11:55 PM
9 Films Vie for Best Picture Oscar; 'Lincoln' Tops With 12 Nominations; 11 for 'Life of Pi'

Achievement in music written for motion pictures (original song)

* "Before My Time," from "Chasing Ice"; music and lyric by J. Ralph
* "Everybody Needs a Best Friend," from "Ted"; music by Walter Murphy, lyric by Seth MacFarlane
* "Pi's Lullaby," from "Life of Pi"; music by Mychael Danna; lyric by Bombay Jayashri
* "Skyfall," from "Skyfall"; music and lyric by Adele Adkins and Paul Epworth
* "Suddenly," from "Les Miserables"; music by Claude-Michel Schonberg, lyric by Herbert Kretzmer and Alain Boublil

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/9-films-vie-best-picture-410627

raagadevan
10th January 2013, 11:56 PM
Pi's Lullaby:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WrqPubbOeiA

raagadevan
11th January 2013, 12:04 AM
Achievement in music written for motion pictures (original score)

* "Anna Karenina," Dario Marianelli
* "Argo," Alexandre Desplat
* "Life of Pi," Mychael Danna
* "Lincoln," John Williams
* "Skyfall," Thomas Newman

Here is the full sound track:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QCzOK6p1sUo

raagadevan
12th January 2013, 09:44 AM
‘Ang Lee is a genius, he guided me through it’ - Bombay Jayashri

http://www.thehindu.com/arts/music/ang-lee-is-a-genius-he-guided-me-through-it/article4299249.ece

Film frat overjoyed at Jayashri's Oscar nomination

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/entertainment/bollywood/news-interviews/Film-frat-overjoyed-at-Jayashris-Oscar-nomination/articleshow/17981223.cms

Will Indian original work ever shine at the Oscars?

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/entertainment/bollywood/news-interviews/Will-Indian-original-work-ever-shine-at-the-Oscars/articleshow/17981688.cms

stULana
12th January 2013, 02:05 PM
Hearty congratulations to Bombay Jayashri on getting Oscar nomination for "Pi's Lullaby" - Original Song, from Life of Pi. I would love to see her win it. :clap::notworthy:
This is what it is to take Indian music to the world..rather than becoming wannabes/sounding Western/un-Indian to draw others attention.:notthatway:

My Telugu speaking colleague liked this song "instantly" when he watched the movie last month and told me about it the next day at work..not knowing it was a Tamil song sung by Bombay Jayashri. Very glad this is for a Tamil lullaby, which sounds like one, able to retain the originality..without losing it's nativity. ;-)
Thereafter, he has played it multiple times at work during late evenings ;)

:clap: and indebted to Director Ang Lee and Music Composer Michael Danna for their understanding and conviction in making it sound the way it does, without losing out on the regional lullaby flavour/Indianness in it.
Should be taken as a good (implicit) lesson for our Directors and MDs ;) After all, it is never easy to even think to begin and end an English/international movie with a lullaby in an Indian regional language (over 3 mins). Reminds me of Bala and IR's Naan Kadavul starting with a Hindi bhajan (Maa Ganga - over 3 mins) and ending with a Sanskrit devotional (Om Shivoham - over 6 mins) :clap::notworthy:

A lesson to remember. :)

P_R
12th January 2013, 07:04 PM
pAttu nemba sumArA irukkE :roll:
idhukkellAmA reward kuduppAnga

raagadevan
12th January 2013, 10:12 PM
‘Ang Lee is a genius, he guided me through it’ - Bombay Jayashri

http://www.thehindu.com/arts/music/ang-lee-is-a-genius-he-guided-me-through-it/article4299249.ece

"Mychael Danna got to listen to Jayashri’s rendition of ‘Omana thingal kidavo..’, a traditional Malayalam lullaby in the album ‘Vatsalyam’, one of her famous albums with traditional lullabies in various Indian languages. He had also heard a few other songs by her and approached her for Pi’s lullaby."

Here is one version of ‘Omana thinkal kidavo..’, composed by Irayimman Thampi on the birth of Maharajah Swathi Thirunal of Travancore:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lyqd69A2ShA

stULana
12th January 2013, 10:17 PM
idhukkellAmA reward kuduppAnga

In the past, they have :twisted:

Looking at other nominations, I feel "Pi's Lullaby" (Mychael Danna, Bombay Jayashri) stands a chance.
"Before My Time" from Chasing Ice and "Suddenly" from Les Miserables have minimalistic music and are simple (as well!). :roll:
"Everybody Needs A Best Friend" from Ted seems to be cute more for the teddy than the song itself. :sigh2: I mean, all that is familiar and heard before (kind of) music. "Skyfall" from Skyfall is the only one with some dramatic music, but that is again like our own "Yaar endru therigiradha", more of 'popular' music and 'expected' in a Bond movie. If crescendo moments alone matter (i.e., besides whatever lobbying), then Oscar will go to Skyfall.

Otherwise, I feel the real contest will be between "Before My Time" and "Pi's Lullaby". What could work for "Pi's Lullaby" is that it is 'different' (for them!), captures the 'nativity' of another 'culture' and presents their 'lullaby' :musicsmile: in a type of world/'collaborative' music :cool2:. It seems director Ang Lee said, "a child sleeps not because it feels sleepy, but because it feels safe (read 'peace')". This punch dialogue has some truth in it and the song sure sounds peaceful and soothing, which is why my Telugu colleague liked it (I was surprised :shock: he liked it, as he normally listens to Telugu masala/kutthu songs like Kevvu Kaeka and Sakkubai garam chaai :ashamed:).

When watching in a theater, "Pi's Lullaby" sure succeeds in drawing the audience into the movie, right from the first frame, by creating the right ambience (as some have expressed, apt for reflecting Pi's childhood, growing up in a peaceful/safe environment).
Avanga kudukuraaLo illayo, we can give now. And the Oscar for Music (Original Song) goes to "Pi's Lullaby" by Mychael Danna and Bombay Jayashri. :notworthy::victory:

raagadevan
13th January 2013, 01:29 AM
Our songs, their movies

"It may bode well for ‘Pi’s Lullaby’ that critics and audiences around the world have loved Life of Pi." (Editorial - The Hindu - January 12, 2013)

http://www.thehindu.com/opinion/editorial/our-songs-their-movies/article4299028.ece

venkkiram
13th January 2013, 01:35 AM
idhukkellAmA reward kuduppAnga நேத்து இரவு நானும் என் மனைவியும் இந்த தாலாட்டைக் கேட்டோம். நான் சொன்னேன்.. "இந்தப் பாடலை நம் குழந்தைகளுக்கு தூக்கம் வரக் கூடிய சமயத்தில் போட்டால் அவர்கள் தூக்கமே கலைந்து போய்விடும்" என.. அப்புறம் ஏற்கனவே கேட்டு கேட்டு புளித்துப் போன டெம்ப்ளேட் வரிகள்.. ரிவார்டு கொடுத்தாலும் ஆச்சர்யப்படுறதுக்கில்ல..

raagadevan
13th January 2013, 06:58 AM
Late poet's relatives lose sleep over Jayashri's lullaby, allege it's a copy

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/india/Late-poets-relatives-lose-sleep-over-Jayashris-lullaby-allege-its-a-copy/articleshow/18001161.cms

raagadevan
14th January 2013, 09:39 AM
Golden Globes:

Mychael Danna wins the Golden Globe Award for best film score for his work on "Life of Pi".

Best song award goes to Adele Adkins and Paul Epworth for "Skyfall".

Ben Affleck wins Best Director Award for "Argo" after being snubbed by the Oscars. He beat Steven Spielberg, Kathryn Bigelow, Ang Lee and Quentin Tarantino.

Best Foreign Film: "Amour" (France)

Best Movie: "Argo"

raagadevan
11th February 2013, 06:31 AM
British Academy Awards (BAFTA) 2013:

Best Movie: "ARGO"

Best Director: Ben Affleck (Argo)

Best Actor: Daniel Day-Lewis (Lincoln)

Best Actress: Emmanuelle Riva (Amour)

Best Original Music: SKYFALL

Best Non-English Film: "AMOUR" (France)

Complete List: http://awards.bafta.org/award/2013/film

ajithfederer
11th February 2013, 10:16 AM
Argo enna avvalo periya thillalangadi aa?. Globe and BAFTA??. I watched that film. True its well made but there is something missing.

NOV
25th February 2013, 07:12 AM
http://oscar.go.com/nominees

NOV
25th February 2013, 07:30 AM
BEST PICTURE

Amour - Margaret Menegoz, Stefan Arndt, Veit Heiduschka and Michael Katz

Argo - Grant Heslov, Ben Affleck and George Clooney,

Beasts of the Southern Wild -Dan Janvey, Josh Penn and Michael Gottwald,

Django Unchained - Stacey Sher, Reginald Hudlin and Pilar Savone,

Les Misérables Tim Bevan, Eric Fellner, Debra Hayward and Cameron Mackintosh,

Life of Pi - Gil Netter, Ang Lee and David Womark,

Lincoln - Steven Spielberg and Kathleen Kennedy,

Silver Linings Playbook - Donna Gigliotti, Bruce Cohen and Jonathan Gordon,

Zero Dark Thirty - Mark Boal, Kathryn Bigelow and Megan Ellison,

Actor in a Leading Role

Bradley Cooper - Silver Linings Playbook

Daniel Day-Lewis - Lincoln

Hugh Jackman - Les Misérables

Joaquin Phoenix - The Master

Denzel Washington - Flight

Actor in a Supporting Role

Alan Arkin - Argo

Robert De Niro - Silver Linings Playbook

Philip Seymour Hoffman - The Master

Tommy Lee Jones - Lincoln

Christoph Waltz - Django Unchained

Actress in a Leading Role

Jessica Chastain - Zero Dark Thirty

Jennifer Lawrence - Silver Linings Playbook

Emmanuelle Riva - Amour

Quvenzhané Wallis - Beasts of the Southern Wild

Naomi Watts - The Impossible

Actress in a Supporting Role

Amy Adams - The Master

Sally Field - Lincoln

Anne Hathaway - Les Misérables

Helen Hunt - The Sessions

Jacki Weaver - Silver Linings Playbook

Animated Feature Film

Brave

Frankenweenie

ParaNorman

The Pirates! Band of Misfits

Wreck-It Ralph

CINEMATOGRAPHY

Anna Karenina

Django Unchained

Life of Pi

Lincoln

Skyfall

COSTUME DESIGN

Anna Karenina

Les Misérables

Lincoln

Mirror Mirror

Snow White and the Huntsman

DIRECTING

Amour - Michael Haneke

Beasts of the Southern Wild - Benh Zeitlin

Life of Pi - Ang Lee

Lincoln - Steven Spielberg

Silver Linings Playbook - David O. Russell

DOCUMENTARY FEATURE

5 Broken Cameras

The Gatekeepers

How to Survive a Plague

The Invisible War

Searching for Sugar Man

FILM EDITING

Argo

Life of Pi

Lincoln

Silver Linings Playbook

Zero Dark Thirty

MAKEUP

Hitchcock

The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey

Les Misérables

Music (Original Score)

Anna Karenina

Argo

Life of Pi

Lincoln

Skyfall

Music (Original Song)

Before My Time - Chasing Ice
Music and Lyric by J. Ralph

Everybody Needs A Best Friend - Ted
Music by Walter Murphy
Lyric by Seth MacFarlane

Pi’s Lullaby - Life of Pi
Music by Mychael Danna
Lyric by Bombay Jayashri

Skyfall - Skyfall
Music and Lyric by Adele Adkins and Paul Epworth

Suddenly - Les Misérables
Music by Claude-Michel Schönberg
Lyric by Herbert Kretzmer and Alain Boublil

VISUAL EFFECTS
The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey

Life of Pi

Marvel’s The Avengers

Prometheus

Snow White and the Huntsman

raagadevan
25th February 2013, 07:47 AM
WINNERS:

Best Actor in a Supporting Role: Christoph Waltz (Django Unchained)

Best Cinematography: Claudio Miranda for Life of Pi

Visual Effects: Life of Pi

NOV
25th February 2013, 07:51 AM
:clap: :clap:
hope LoP sweeps many awards this year!

NOV
25th February 2013, 07:52 AM
"Anna Karenina" Wins Best Costume Design

"Les Miserables" Wins Best Makeup

raagadevan
25th February 2013, 07:53 AM
Winners (Continued)

Animated Feature Film: BRAVE

Animated Short Film: PAPERMAN

raagadevan
25th February 2013, 08:09 AM
Short Film (Live Action): CURFEW

Documentary (Short Subject): INOCENTE

ajithfederer
25th February 2013, 08:16 AM
Hope Jessica chastain wins best actress award.

and Best Original screenplay - Tarantino.

raagadevan
25th February 2013, 08:18 AM
Documentary (Feature): Searching for Sugar Man

raagadevan
25th February 2013, 08:24 AM
Foreign Language Film: AMOUR

Balaji.r
25th February 2013, 08:26 AM
Argo enna avvalo periya thillalangadi aa?. Globe and BAFTA??. I watched that film. True its well made but there is something missing.

same peelings.Pretty good entertainer, not able to understand the hype. The movie reminded me of wag the dog.

raagadevan
25th February 2013, 08:45 AM
Sound Mixing: LES MISERABLES (Life of Pi was also nominated)

raagadevan
25th February 2013, 08:49 AM
Sound Editing: SKYFALL and ZERO DARK THIRTY (Life of Pi was also nominated)

raagadevan
25th February 2013, 08:56 AM
Actress in a Suporting Role: Anne Hathaway, LES MISERABLES

NOV
25th February 2013, 09:02 AM
(Life of Pi was also nominated)I hope you wont have to say this when it comes to original soundtrack!

raagadevan
25th February 2013, 09:05 AM
I hope so too; but original song is doubtful! :)

raagadevan
25th February 2013, 09:07 AM
Film Editing: ARGO - William Goldenberg (Life of Pi was also nominated) :)

Balaji.r
25th February 2013, 09:20 AM
I hope so too; but original song is doubtful! :)

:l are you expecting BJ song would win oscar?

NOV
25th February 2013, 09:26 AM
are you expecting BJ song would win oscar?What kind of question is this?
Of course I am hoping that it would win :roll:

raagadevan
25th February 2013, 09:29 AM
:l are you expecting BJ song would win oscar?

I hope so, but the controversy about the "originality" of BJ's lyrics might affect its chances.

Balaji.r
25th February 2013, 09:31 AM
Nemba sumaara irrukey song. :huh:

have watched only handful of oscar nominated movies. Don`t think I would be watching Les M, though it has wonderful cast.

raagadevan
25th February 2013, 09:32 AM
Production Design: LINCOLN (Life of Pi was also nominated)

NOV
25th February 2013, 09:39 AM
I hope so, but the controversy about the "originality" of BJ's lyrics might affect its chances.elaborate pls...

Nemba sumaara irrukey song. .that depends.... jai ho was also very sumaar according to indians... :p

raagadevan
25th February 2013, 09:45 AM
elaborate pls...

vElan: Please check my postings on pages 15 and 16 of this thread.

raagadevan
25th February 2013, 09:47 AM
Music - Original Score: Life of Pi, Mychael Dana

raagadevan
25th February 2013, 09:49 AM
Music (Original Song): Skyfall, Music and Lyric by Adele Adkins and Paul Epworth

NOV
25th February 2013, 09:49 AM
vElan: Please check my postings on pages 15 and 16 of this thread.This is Page 5! How do I go to the future? :shaking:

raagadevan
25th February 2013, 09:51 AM
Life of Pi won the Original Soundtrack Oscar, but Bombay Jayashri's lullaby did not win.

raagadevan
25th February 2013, 09:52 AM
Sorry; This is Page 19 on my screen!!

NOV
25th February 2013, 09:52 AM
Music (Original Song): Skyfall, Music and Lyric by Adele Adkins and Paul Epworth
:wave:

raagadevan
25th February 2013, 10:00 AM
Writing (Adapted Screenplay): Chris Terrio for ARGO (Life of Pi was also nominated)

Writing (Original Screnplay): Quentin Tarantino for Django Unchained

raagadevan
25th February 2013, 10:06 AM
Directing: Life of Pi, Ang Lee

raagadevan
25th February 2013, 10:16 AM
Actress in a Leading Role: Jennifer Lawrence in Silver Linings Playbook

venkkiram
25th February 2013, 10:19 AM
Daniel Day-Lewis :notworthy:

raagadevan
25th February 2013, 10:20 AM
Actor in a Leading Role: Daniel Day-Lewis in LINCOLN

ajithfederer
25th February 2013, 10:20 AM
Glad that my hometown fav SLP Actress Jennifer Lawrence won for SLP eventhough I was rooting for Jessica. DDL was a mere formality. Tarantino :clap:. Ang lee :banghead: :lol2:.

raagadevan
25th February 2013, 10:26 AM
Best Picture: ARGO

Dinesh84
25th February 2013, 12:08 PM
Was hoping that BJ would win the statue.. pchh.. I am using that lullaby to put my kid asleep. :D

கண்ணே, கண்மணியே
கண்ணுறங்காய், பொன்னே
மயிலோ, தோகை மயிலோ
குயிலோ, கூவும் குயிலோ
நிலவோ, நிலவின் ஒளியோ
இமையோ, இமையின் கனவோ
ராராரோ, .. ராராரோ
ராராரோ, .. ராராரோ
மலரோ, மலரின் அமுதோ
கனியோ, செங்கனியின் சுவையோ
ராராரோ, .. ராராரோ

stULana
25th February 2013, 07:55 PM
Was hoping that BJ would win the statue.. pchh.. I am using that lullaby to put my kid asleep. :D

கண்ணே, கண்மணியே
கண்ணுறங்காய், பொன்னே
மயிலோ, தோகை மயிலோ
குயிலோ, கூவும் குயிலோ
நிலவோ, நிலவின் ஒளியோ
இமையோ, இமையின் கனவோ
ராராரோ, .. ராராரோ
ராராரோ, .. ராராரோ
மலரோ, மலரின் அமுதோ
கனியோ, செங்கனியின் சுவையோ
ராராரோ, .. ராராரோ

Yes, BJ should have won it. As told earlier, Skyfall coinciding with the 50th anniversary of Bond series (besides the usual lobbying) would have worked in it's favour.
Even my Telugu colleague listens to Pi's Lullaby before going to sleep now-a-days ;) He simply loves BJ's rendering along with the soulful music.

I am happy for Michael Donna winning for OST. He truly deserved it. The scene where Pi expalins about how he got his name (swimming pool to pi on the blackboard) had some really good "Indian" music. I even wonder if any of our MDs (except one or two) can score something like that and sound that Indian!

It instantly reminded me on IR's 1min BGM from Naan Kadavul for the interval scene (..ayam brahmaasmi, aham brahmaasmi!). It felt so good hearing for most part just the tabla and violins :bow:

venkkiram
25th February 2013, 10:43 PM
Ang Lee

http://cdn.ndtv.com/movies/images/ang-lee-oscar-read.jpg

He has won the Academy Award for Best Director twice, first for Brokeback Mountain (2005) and most recently for Life of Pi (2012). He is the first person of Asian descent to win the Oscar for Best Director.

:notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy:

raagadevan
26th February 2013, 03:18 AM
'Life of Pi' bags most Oscars, Ang Lee says namaste

The toast of the night was 'Life of Pi', a movie based on a book by a Canadian author and directed by a Taiwanese American. The film won four awards — the maximum by a film this year — including Best Director for Ang Lee.

During his acceptance speech, Lee thanked his producers, "Indian crew", Suraj and all technicians. "Suraj, where are you," he called out, and the cameras focussed on Suraj, who made his acting debut with the movie. And finally Lee wrapped up the speech saying: "namaste".

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/entertainment/hollywood/news-interviews/Life-of-Pi-bags-most-Oscars-Ang-Lee-says-namaste/articleshow/18682759.cms

selvakumar
26th February 2013, 12:14 PM
Django... Chris :thumbsup: Tarantino :clap:

kubrick
26th February 2013, 12:24 PM
Disregarding films like The Master just because they are not understood by the masses is one frustration which keeps continuing at the AA. Intense films which are generally disregarded at the BO only need festivals' recognition. I am not saying that Life of Pi dint deserve all the attention but The Master's content too should have gotten attention.

raagadevan
27th February 2013, 06:03 AM
Oscar eludes, but Bombay Jayashri wins hearts

"From Mumbai sabhas to Dolby Theatre, it has been a long journey indeed for Bombay Jayashri."

http://www.thehindu.com/opinion/blogs/blog-touchy-notes/article4456177.ece?ref=sliderNews

ajithfederer
27th February 2013, 08:32 AM
https://fbcdn-sphotos-e-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/225379_10151726601828294_1985543448_n.jpg

raagadevan
25th April 2013, 12:43 AM
Bollywood and Oscars over 100 years of Cinema

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/entertainment/bollywood/news-interviews/Bollywood-and-Oscars-over-100-years-of-Cinema/articleshow/19693992.cms

raagadevan
17th May 2013, 02:46 PM
Tribeca Film Festival: Nora Ephron Prize Goes to Meera Menon

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/tribeca-nora-ephron-prize-goes-446600

http://www.thehindu.com/features/metroplus/with-a-bang/article4720852.ece?homepage=true

mappi
14th May 2014, 03:15 PM
All Selections Cannes 2014

http://www.festival-cannes.com/en/archives/allSelections.html

"Discover the award winners at the 2014 Festival de Cannes on 24th May!" - Cannes Official Site

mappi
18th May 2014, 11:33 PM
"The Expendables" at Cannes 67 (18/MAY/2014)

http://stcommunities.straitstimes.com/sites/default/files/imagecache/bxslider_photo/Emak-Cannes-41805e.jpg

http://static.lexpress.fr/medias_9572/w_605,h_350,c_fill,g_north/les-acteurs-americains-harrison-ford-et-sylvester-stallone-et-l-australien-mel-gibson-qui-jouent-tous-les-trois-dans-le-film-the-expendables-3-posent-pour-la-presse-au-67e-festival-de-cannes-le-18-mai-2014_4901175.jpg

http://cache2.asset-cache.net/gc/491904181-sylvester-stallone-and-arnold-schwarzenegger-gettyimages.jpg?v=1&c=IWSAsset&k=2&d=X7WJLa88Cweo9HktRLaNXqnQvC7YgECv2Kc%2F2ASOuFLjHX HcpvcX%2BwSxJkl0q9OO

http://images.worldnow.com/AP/images/3757674_G.jpg

http://cache1.asset-cache.net/gc/491907297-jason-statham-sylvester-stallone-and-wesley-gettyimages.jpg?v=1&c=IWSAsset&k=2&d=X7WJLa88Cweo9HktRLaNXky9KLBkEm11F7Nxcy%2FEBx7JSH kl8VuTLJOOD%2BwbSrm5

http://a57.foxnews.com/global.fncstatic.com/static/managed/img/fn2/feeds/Associated%20Press/2014/05/18/876/493/France%20Cannes%20The%20Expendables%203%20Photo%20 Call-1.jpg?ve=1&tl=1

http://i.telegraph.co.uk/multimedia/archive/02914/Expendables_2914771b.jpg

raagadevan
25th May 2014, 09:51 AM
Nuri Bilge Ceylan's Turkish drama "Winter Sleep" wins Palme d'Or at Cannes 2014

List of Winners:

Palme d’Or: “Winter Sleep” (Nuri Bilge Ceylan)

Grand Prix: “The Wonders” (Alice Rohrwacher)

Director: Bennett Miller, “Foxcatcher”

Actor: Timothy Spall, “Mr. Turner”

Actress: Julianne Moore, “Maps to the Stars”

Jury Prize: “Mommy” (Xavier Dolan) and “Goodbye to Language” (Jean-Luc Godard)

Screenplay: Andrey Zvyagintsev and Oleg Negin, “Leviathan”

OTHER PRIZES

Camera d’Or: “Party Girl” (Marie Amachoukeli, Claire Burger, Samuel Theis)

Short Films Palme d’Or: “Leidi” (Simon Mesa Soto)

Short Films Special Mention: “Aissa” (Clement Trehin-Lalanne)

Ecumenical Jury Prize: “Timbuktu” (Abderrahmane Sissako, Mauritania-France)

UN CERTAIN REGARD PRIZES

Un Certain Regard Prize: “White God” (Kornel Mundruczo, Hungary-Germany-Sweden)

Jury prize: “Force Majeure” (Ruben Ostlund, Sweden-France-Denmark-Norway)

Special Prize: “The Salt of the Earth” (Wim Wenders and Juliano Ribeiro Salgado, France-Italy)

Ensemble: “Party Girl” (Marie Amachoukeli, Claire Burger, Samuel Theis, France)

Actor: David Gulpilil, “Charlie’s Country” (Rolf de Heer, Australia)

DIRECTORS’ FORTNIGHT PRIZES

Art Cinema Award: “Les Combattants” (Thomas Cailley, France)

Society of Dramatic Authors and Composers Prize: “Les Combattants”

Europa Cinemas Label: “Les Combattants”

CRITICS’ WEEK PRIZES

Grand Prize: “The Tribe” (Myroslav Slaboshpytskiy, Ukraine)

Visionary Prize: “The Tribe”

Society of Dramatic Authors and Composers Prize: “Hope” (Boris Lojkine, France)

FIPRESCI PRIZES

Competition: “Winter Sleep” (Nuri Bilge Ceylan, Turkey-Germany-France)

Un Certain Regard: “Jauja” (Lisandro Alonso, Denmark-U.S.-Argentina)

Directors’ Fortnight: “Les Combattants”

mappi
24th July 2014, 05:18 PM
TIFF 2014
Toranto International Film Festival 2014 : Sept 04 - Sept 14

http://media.tiff.net.s3.amazonaws.com/emails/pdf/2014%20Festival%20Galas%20%26%20SPs__.pdf

A very interesting line up of films, and a huge bunch of World Premiers. Alas, most of the films get time to release world-wide, as I am still waiting to watch the 2013 official selection, a south African film 'iNumber, Number'. Major Critics and Reveiws will be some interesting read, will try to get & post them here.

raagadevan
23rd February 2015, 09:18 AM
The Oscars - 2015:

http://oscar.go.com/

ajaybaskar
23rd February 2015, 09:20 AM
Emmanuel Lubezki wins his second consecutive statuette. This time for Birdman

raagadevan
23rd February 2015, 10:08 AM
...and the Oscar goes to:

-Winners' list as of now ...

Best Adapted Screenplay: Graham Moore, "The Imitation Game"
Best Original Screenplay: Alejandro González Iñárritu, Nicolás Giacobone, Alexander Dinelaris, and Armando Bo, "Birdman"
Best Original Score: Alexandre Desplat, "The Grand Budapest Hotel"
Best Original Song: "Glory" by Common and John Legend, "Selma"
Best Documentary Feature: Laura Poitras, Mathilde Bonnefoy, and Dirk Wilutzky, "Citizenfour"
Best Film Editing: Tom Cross, "Whiplash"
Best Cinematography: Emmanuel Lubezki, "Birdman"
Best Production Design: Adam Stockhausen and Anna Pinnock, "The Grand Budapest Hotel"
Best Animated Feature Film: Don Hall, Roy Conli, and Chris Williams, "Big Hero 6"
Best Animated Short Film: Patrick Osborne and Kristina Reed, "Feast"
Best Visual Effects: Paul Franklin, Andrew Lockley, Ian Hunter, and Scott Fisher, "Interstellar"
Best Supporting Actress: Patricia Arquette, "Boyhood"
Best Sound Editing: Alan Robert Murray and Bub Asman, "American Sniper"
Best Sound Mixing: Craig Mann, Ben Wilkins and Thomas Curley, "Whiplash"
Best Documentary Short Subject: Ellen Goosenberg and Dana Perry, "Crisis Hotline: Veterans Press 1"
Best Live Action Short Film: Mat Kirkby and James Lucas, "The Phone Call"
Best Foreign Language Film: "Ida" (Poland)
Best Makeup and Hairstyling: Frances Hannon and Mark Coulier, "The Grand Budapest Hotel"
Best Costume Design: Milena Canonero, "The Grand Budapest Hotel"
Best Supporting Actor: J.K. Simmons, "Whiplash"

raagadevan
23rd February 2015, 10:32 AM
Best Actress: Julianne Moore, "Still Alice"
Best Actor: Eddie Redmayne, "The Theory of Everything"
Best Director: Alejandro G. Iñárritu, "Birdman"

raagadevan
23rd February 2015, 10:37 AM
Best Picture: "Birdman"

ajaybaskar
23rd February 2015, 10:42 AM
Deservingly. Thought Keaton would win the Best Actor. :(

raagadevan
23rd February 2015, 10:53 AM
I agree. Michael Keaton in Birdman was my favourite too! :(

mappi
26th May 2015, 03:30 PM
The 2015 Cannes Film festival

Selections : http://www.festival-cannes.com/en/archives/allSelections.html

Awards :

Palme d'Or - 'Dheepan' directed by Jacques Audiard

Grand Prix - 'Son of Saul' directed by Laszlo Nemes

Best Director - 'The Assassin' directed by Hou Hsiao-Hsien for

Best Screenplay - 'Chronic' written by Michel Franco

Camera d'Or (Best First Feature) - 'La Tierra y la Sombre' directed by Cesar Acevedo

Jury Prize - 'The Lobster' directed by Yorgos Lanthimos

Best Actress - Rooney Mara for 'Carol' and Emmanuelle Bercot for 'Mon Roi' (Shared Prize)

Best Actor - Vincent Lindon for 'The Measure of a Man'

Palme d'Or (Short Film) - 'Waves '98' directed by Ely Dagher

raagadevan
21st February 2016, 04:57 AM
Malayalam movie OTTAAL directed by Jayaraj wins the Crystal Bear Best Film award at the Berlin International Film Festival!

https://www.berlinale.de/en/das_festival/preise_und_juries/preise_generation/index.html

Comments from the Jury:

This exceptional movie touched us all with its irresistible images of nature, laid-back music and amazingly gifted actors. The unique way of filming certain details
blew us away. We think it’s important that such a sad and serious topic be tackled in a movie, though the film also managed to capture the humour and joy of life.

raagadevan
29th February 2016, 07:48 PM
2016 Oscar winners:

Best Picture: “Spotlight”

Direction: “The Revenant,” Alejandro G. Iñárritu

Actor: Leonardo DiCaprio, “The Revenant”

Actress: Brie Larson, “Room”

Supporting Actor: Mark Rylance, “Bridge of Spies”

Supporting Actress: Alicia Vikander, “The Danish Girl”

Adapted Screenplay: “The Big Short,” Charles Randolph and Adam McKay

Original Screenplay: “Spotlight,” Josh Singer and Tom McCarthy

Cinematography: “The Revenant,” Emmanuel Lubezki

Production Design: “Mad Max: Fury Road,” Colin Gibson and Lisa Thompson (set decoration)

Film Editing: “Mad Max: Fury Road,” Margaret Sixel

Visual Effects: “Ex Machina,” Andrew Whitehurst, Paul Norris, Mark Ardington and Sara Bennett

Costume Design: “Mad Max: Fury Road,” Jenny Beavan

Makeup: “Mad Max: Fury Road,” Lesley Vanderwalt, Elka Wardega and Damian Martin

Sound Editing: “Mad Max: Fury Road,” Mark Mangini and David White

Sound Mixing: “Mad Max: Fury Road,” Chris Jenkins, Gregg Rudloff and Ben Osmo

Score: “The Hateful Eight,” Ennio Morricone

Song: “Writing’s on the Wall,” from “Spectre,” Jimmy Napes and Sam Smith

Foreign Language Film: “Son of Saul” (Hungary)

Animated Feature: “Inside Out”

Documentary Feature: “Amy”

Animated Short: “Bear Story”

Documentary Short: “A Girl in the River: The Price of Forgiveness”

Live Action Short: “Stutterer”

raagadevan
29th February 2016, 09:01 PM
Resul Pookutty wins Golden Reel Award for 'India's Daughter'

http://economictimes.indiatimes.com/articleshow/51177621.cms?utm_source=contentofinterest&utm_medium=text&utm_campaign=cppst

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/lists/2016-golden-reel-winners-867184/item/best-sound-editing-short-form-868321

raagadevan
27th February 2017, 01:06 PM
And the Oscar goes to...

http://oscar.go.com/winners

The 12 worst movies to ever win Oscars...

http://www.msn.com/en-ca/entertainment/movies/oscars/the-12-worst-movies-to-ever-win-oscars/ss-AAnrcIi?li=AAggNb9&ocid=mailsignout#image=1