PDA

View Full Version : Memories of Dr Rajkumar

sarna_blr
28th February 2008, 04:45 PM
Dr. RajKumar (ಡಾ. ರಾಜ್ಕುಮಾರ್) was the most popular actor in Kannada Film Industry.

Real name....Singanalluru Puttaswamayya Muthuraju (ಸಿಂಗನಲ್ಲೂರು ಪುಟ್ಟಸ್ವಾಮಯ್ಯ ಮುತ್ತುರಾಜು)

Period....April-24,1928 to April-12,2006

He is Dr.Raj or Natasaarvabhouma or Annaavru (ಅಣ್ಣಾವ್ರು) to millions of his fans. He was also called as JOHN WAYNE od South Indian Cinema. He acted in more than 200 kannada movies in a carreer spannin over five decades. Most of his movies were epic films in Kannada Film industry.

He was also a well-known Singer. His voice is referred to KOGILE KANTA.

Dr. Raj is the only Indian actor who has recieved national award for both acting and singing.

Dr.Raj was also one of the most versatile actors in Indian cinema. His character depictions ranged from comedy to action, from lover boy to double/triple roles, from mythological characters to portrayal of modern day social causes.

In his lifetime, Dr.Raj acted in 206 movies (excluding guest appearances). He owned a film production company called Vajreshwari production, which produced films under the banner of Dakshayani Combines.
Bhaagyadha Baagilu was his 100th movie...
Devatha Manushya was his 200th movie...
Two of his most famous performances were in his own productions...Kaviratna Kaalidaasa and Shankar-Guru.

Almost all his films were super hits. Some of the memorable films are.....
Adhe Kannu, Na Ninna Mareyalare, Hosa Belakhu, Thayige Takka Maga,Shravana Banthu,Bedara Kannappa, Bangarada Manushya, Kastoori Nivasa, Sri Krishnadevaraya, Kula Gowrava, Gandhada Gudi, Sampathige Sawal, Shankar-Guru, Babruvahana, Bhakta Prahalada, Halu Jenu, Bhagyada Lakshmi Baramma, Jeevana Chaitra, Akasmika, Premada Kanike, Vasantha Geetha, Apoorva Sangama, Daari Tappida Maga, Badavara Bandhu, Yeradu Kanasu, Mayura, Bangaradha Panjara, Havina Hede, Anuraga Aralithu, Jedara Bale, Shruti Seridaga, "Sanaadi Apanna", "Babruvahana", "Chalisuva Modagalu", "Guri", "Parashuram", "Devathaa Manushya" (his 200th film), "Huliya Haalina Mevu", "Kavirathna Kalidasa" etc. His last movie was 'Shabdevedi' along with Jayaprada, which showed Raj revolting against drug dealers....

and a lot more....

This thread is dedicated to annaavru....

Let us share our memories about his film carreer that we have.....

sarna_blr
28th February 2008, 05:22 PM
[tscii:c5f65aca51]Dr. Rajkumar, who passed away in Bangalore on April 12, was indeed a colossus of an actor of the Kannada filmdom. I think he has more reasons than one to enter into the world book of records, the Guinness Book, for acting in over 200 films that were all hits. And so also the songs he sang.

Many have paid handsome tributes to Rajkumar, who was a legend in his own lifetime. One of the best tributes I read in newspapers came from the veteran journalist and renowned author T. J. S. George in The New Indian Express.

In a few sentences, George, known for his brevity of expression, was quite eloquent in eulogizing the great qualities of Rajkumar, both as a genius in acting and as a good human being. If the saying that “one cannot always be a hero, but one can always be a good human being” is true, then in the case of Rajkumar it can be said, “he was always a hero as well as a good human being”.

George says, while film stars, by definition, are showmen and their trademarks are flamboyance, conspicuous consumption, tantrums and braggadocio, these were the characteristics, completely and conspicuously absent in Dr. Raj. In his daily life, he never dressed in anything showier than a white shirt and a white dhothi. "Given his iconic status, his humility was embarrassing to those who met him," says George.

I have never met Rajkumar personally, though I have seen him twice on the stage — once in Madikeri, Kodagu, in the mid - 50s and another time in Mysore some years ago at the Dasara Exhibition Grounds at a musical night. Of course, I have met his wife and soul mate Parvathamma Rajkumar a couple of times in Mysore, and found her graceful and full of humility like her famous husband in personal conversation.

From what I have heard, Rajkumar seems to be an epitome and cornucopia of humility — humility had indeed personified itself in the person of Dr. Raj. I would like to give just two instances to substantiate this view as told by my friends.

It seems, Dr. Raj was once given the award by the Central Government as the best actor, while in the same year Kannada film actor Ambarish was given the award as the best villain. Ambarish had gone to receive the award with his mother and had occupied his seat. Soon, Dr. Raj entered the hall and Ambarish's mother asked him to go and meet Dr. Raj, congratulate him and take his blessings.

Ambarish, however, did not listen to his mother. In a few minutes, Dr. Raj, seeing Ambarish, walked upto him and profusely congratulated him thus embarrassing both Ambarish and his mother, who was also angry with her son for not listening to her. Indeed, as George says, this was one example of Dr. Raj's humility that was embarrassing to those who met him — in this case Ambarish and his mother.

In another case, the well - known Ganjifa artist, Ganjifa Raghupathi Bhat, who is a resident of our city enriching its cultural scene, went to Dharamasthala, a pilgrimage centre in Dakshina Kannada, along with his aged mother. He was walking along with his mother and Dharamasthala Dharmadhikari Veerendra Heggade's brother Surendra Kumar Heggade in the temple forecourt. In the same area, they saw Dr. Raj who had come there soon after he was released by the forest brigand Veerappan who had kidnapped him. Krishna Singh, an aide of Veerendra Heggade, who was with Dr. Raj, had apparently mentioned of Ganjifa artist's presence in the same premises.

Before Raghupathi Bhat could know what was happening, Dr. Raj had walked up to them and touched the feet of Bhat's aged mother seeking her blessings and enquiring of her health. This, even though Dr. Raj had not met his mother anytime before. Probably, Dr. Raj, as a true artist, was intuitively induced to seek the blessings of another artist's mother. Bhat's mother, who lives with him, remembers that moment with prayers on her lips even today. One more example of Dr. Raj's humility.

Of course, Dr. Raj had heard the name of Ganjifa artist Bhat and had even met him once in Udupi about 15 years earlier along with the then Editor of Kannada magazine Tharanga, Santhosh Kumar Gulwadi. According to Bhat, he had given to Gulwadi an exquisite miniature Ganjifa painting of Lord Ganapathy made out of sandalwood paste. At that time, Gulwadi was keeping that in his pocket and when he met Dr. Raj, he gifted him the painting saying it was a work of his friend Ganjifa artist Bhat. Dr. Raj received it with great religious fervour and told them that he valued the gift very much and would always keep it with him.

I have mentioned earlier of my seeing Dr. Raj on stage in Madikeri. At that time, he must have been in his late 20s, about 27 or 30 years old in age. I remember even today, seeing the drama Muthina Haara at the Madikeri Town Hall, which was newly built at that time.

From those days to the present, Dr. Raj has traversed a glorious period in his life, except probably for that one incident of kidnapping. Even here, it must be said to his credit of his inner courage to withstand the ordeal like a Tapasvi. Even that Angulimalalike Veerappan had to surrender to a Buddha - like Rajkumar and give him his freedom without harming.

We know of a famous spiritual saying in Kannada: Sharanaranna Maranadalli Nodu. Indeed, the way his end came suggests that Dr. Raj was indeed a sharana. May his soul rest in peace and may his personal life, become a model for all those whom he has left behind
[/tscii:c5f65aca51]

credit goes to the original writer...

Wibha
29th February 2008, 10:06 AM
:lol: a thread for rajkumar........... personally i'm not a great fan of him...........i like some of his movies..........and he's a nice person.............

sarna indha hub la poi rajkumar ku thread open pannareengalea :lol2: totallly wrong place :P :yessir:

sarna_blr
29th February 2008, 10:12 AM
:lol: a thread for rajkumar........... personally i'm not a great fan of him...........i like some of his movies..........and he's a nice person.............

sarna indha hub la poi rajkumar ku thread open pannareengalea :lol2: totallly wrong place :P :yessir:

puriyala---can u pls move it to proper place

Wibha
29th February 2008, 10:14 AM

ennavida appavi ya irukealea :cry:

Arthi
29th February 2008, 10:18 AM

:rotfl:

Wibha
29th February 2008, 10:22 AM
:rotfl:

:notthatway:

paavam avaru ippo thalaiya odachindirupaaru :oops: :cry2:

sarna_blr
29th February 2008, 10:30 AM

Wibha...nee appaaviya......never.......

Ammaaaaavi'nu sonna oppukollalaam.....

By the by I love Raj Kumar,
He is one of my favourite actor......
Then Rajini.....Now Ajith........

Had u seen GANDHADHA GUDI......wt an amzing performance by annaavru......

One of my favourite song....

Naavaaduva nudiyo kannada nudi
Naaviruva gudi ghandhadha gudi....siri kannada nudi

Meaning...naam pesum mozhi kannada...naamirukkum veedu sandhana veedu....

Wibha
29th February 2008, 10:36 AM

enna oru mokkai :lol2:

ya i like that song too :)

i've seen many of his movies

gandhadha gudi,kavirathna kalidasa, halu jenu, bhagyadha lakshmi baramma and many others..............

but personally i prefer vishnuvardhan over him :D

sarna i meant indha threadla namba rendu perum thavara yaarum vara maata :lol2:

Arthi
29th February 2008, 11:25 AM
en naan erukEn :D

appa appa vandhu padikarEn
illati sarna will :banghead: and cry one is reading my posts :lol:

Wibha
29th February 2008, 11:36 AM
aarthi akka ungala aatakumtu lekkakilla nu vechukalaam :lol2:

only nadula vandhu oru mokkai illa kadi post panna :P okay talk abut Dr.Rajkumar :hammer:

sarna_blr
29th February 2008, 11:40 AM

enna oru mokkai :lol2:

ya i like that song too :)

i've seen many of his movies

gandhadha gudi,kavirathna kalidasa, halu jenu, bhagyadha lakshmi baramma and many others..............

but personally i prefer vishnuvardhan over him :D

sarna i meant indha threadla namba rendu perum thavara yaarum vara maata :lol2:

Thanks....atleast neeyaavudhu vandhu reply pannuniye.........unakku oru Biriu=yaani vaanhi tharEn.....

Ofcourse vishnu is also a good actor....but Legend is Legend

sarna_blr
29th February 2008, 11:42 AM

deivame.....totatoi....deiivame...totatoi....nanri solvEn deivame..totatoi...

By the by have u seen any annaavru films....

sarna_blr
29th February 2008, 11:44 AM

only nadula vandhu oru mokkai illa kadi post panna :P okay talk abut Dr.Rajkumar :hammer:

Naan romba genjina piragu vandhu oru post panni irukkaaanga...adhu unakku porukkalayaaa........

Dr Raj'a paththi personnalaa enna feel pannura wibhaa......

Arthi
29th February 2008, 11:44 AM

is it tamizh? :shock:

Arthi
29th February 2008, 11:46 AM

ok bakta un naRiyaai yaam yEtrukOndom 8-)
dhoda edhu ellam rOmba overu aamaam sOlliputEn :lol:

sarna_blr
29th February 2008, 11:47 AM

is it tamizh? :shock:

oppukku chappaani'nu meaning....dont take it serious...i think u wont take Wibha's comment as serious...Because Wibha is always funny....

Wibha
29th February 2008, 11:48 AM
aarthi adhu kannada :lol2:

sarna I AM NOT a fan of rajkumar......i find him to be a very selfish kinda person....... i'd have been glad if u had opened a thread for vishnu even though it'd be just u and me posting :lol2:

but I like his movies..... I don't remember all the names and i've seen manyyy :D as an actor he's good....

Arthi
29th February 2008, 11:49 AM
Generally, I will never become serious sarna :D
I know abt wibha :D

Wibha
29th February 2008, 11:57 AM
oppukku chappaani'nu meaning....dont take it serious...i think u wont take Wibha's comment as serious...Because Wibha is always funny....

:x :x :x :x naan oruthi inga serious-a post pannindirukean :x :hammer:

Arthi
29th February 2008, 11:59 AM

:rotfl: :rotfl2: :rotfl:

Sarna: it is one of teh examples for Wibha's funniest post :lol:

sarna_blr
29th February 2008, 12:04 PM

ok bakta un naRiyaai yaam yEtrukOndom 8-)
dhoda edhu ellam rOmba overu aamaam sOlliputEn :lol:

Ungalukku kannada puriyumaa....purinjaa ANNAAVRU padam paarunga......it will be a nice entertaining....

sarna_blr
29th February 2008, 12:10 PM
aarthi adhu kannada :lol2:

sarna I AM NOT a fan of rajkumar......i find him to be a very selfish kinda person....... i'd have been glad if u had opened a thread for vishnu even though it'd be just u and me posting :lol2:

but I like his movies..... I don't remember all the names and i've seen manyyy :D as an actor he's good....

Trully....he is a selfish man in personal....but he is a good actor....IMO one of the best actors in INDIA....

sarna_blr
29th February 2008, 12:10 PM
Generally, I will never become serious sarna :D
I know abt wibha :D

:D

sarna_blr
29th February 2008, 12:11 PM

chummaaaaa.....oru chinna kalaaaippu...... :D

BTB Annaavru padangallaye unakku pudichcha padam edhu....?

endha songa unakku romba pudikkum......?

Wibha
29th February 2008, 12:13 PM
aarthi :x et tu brutus :cry:

I parallel him with rajini :yessir:

sarna_blr
29th February 2008, 12:13 PM

:rotfl: :rotfl2: :rotfl:

Sarna: it is one of teh examples for Wibha's funniest post :lol:

ennanaa type pannunga paravaa illa....

anganga nadula maane ..thEnE maadhiri......Dr Raj ...Annaavru... ippadinu avaroda pEra podunga.....
Illana degresion'nu solli delete panniduvaanga.......pls

sarna_blr
29th February 2008, 12:15 PM

in terms of cinema....am I right....

He also does comedy...action...everything in his own style...he is a good entertainer....

Wibha
29th February 2008, 12:15 PM
sarna pls don't call him annavaru :oops: I feel bad for my real bro :lol: avarukku peru iruku :P

Wibha
29th February 2008, 12:17 PM

in terms of cinema....am I right....

He also does comedy...action...everything in his own style...he is a good entertainer....

not just cinema.....even outside the nutshell :P

sarna_blr
29th February 2008, 12:21 PM
sarna pls don't call him annavaru :oops: I feel bad for my real bro :lol: avarukku peru iruku :P

Ok ....wibha....nee sonna piragu kEkkaamalaa....

Arthi
29th February 2008, 12:21 PM
ok sarna: see here

I like annaru very much
He is the one of teh best actors in this century ( cha idhu over...) best actor in Kannad aflim industry

:lol2:

sarna_blr
29th February 2008, 12:22 PM
ok sarna: see here

I like annaru very much
He is the one of teh best actors in this century ( cha idhu over...) best actor in Kannad aflim industry

:lol2:

Arthi
29th February 2008, 12:23 PM
hey 3 pages vandhiduchu :lol2:

Wibha
29th February 2008, 12:25 PM

marubadiyum solrean sarna maadhiri appavi naan paartadhilla :oops: :) (its a compliment :) )

sarna_blr
29th February 2008, 12:28 PM

marubadiyum solrean sarna maadhiri appavi naan paartadhilla :oops: :) (its a compliment :) )

Enna mattum paaththirukkiyaa...yEn wibha poi sollura.......

Dr.Raj nadichcha ShabdavEdi paaththiya....After 70 , he acted as a hero.....

sarna_blr
29th February 2008, 12:29 PM

Dr.Raj thread 3 pages vandhiduchchunnu sollalaam'la--illana degression aayidum....

Wibha
29th February 2008, 12:32 PM
I've seen many movies peru ellam nyabagam illa :?

enaku avara kandaalea aagathu.....moonjiyum :evil: wonder how ppl like him became famous :x

sarna_blr
29th February 2008, 12:37 PM
I've seen many movies peru ellam nyabagam illa :?

enaku avara kandaalea aagathu.....moonjiyum :evil: wonder how ppl like him became famous :x

:banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

MADDY
29th February 2008, 12:38 PM
something for rajkumar fans :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mLM-mZmKVpo

sarna_blr
29th February 2008, 12:40 PM
something for rajkumar fans :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mLM-mZmKVpo

Dr. Rajkumar fans..... :D :D ....pls

By the by, i dont have access to youtube....can u further help me by uploading this video in Metacafe....or dailymotion.....pls

sarna_blr
29th February 2008, 12:43 PM

wibha...wr is ur reply for my question?

Wibha
29th February 2008, 12:47 PM

enaku nyabagam illa....... eppo vandhudhu...havent seen any kannada movie after 2001 xcept mungaru male......

maddy u and here :o :shock:

sarna_blr
29th February 2008, 12:51 PM

enaku nyabagam illa....... eppo vandhudhu...havent seen any kannada movie after 2001 xcept mungaru male......

maddy u and here :o :shock:

naan kEtta question adhu illa.... :banghead: :banghead:

Bolded lines.......

Pras
29th February 2008, 01:00 PM
sarna, unga thread sikkiram 100 pages vara enn vazhthukkal ;)

sarna_blr
29th February 2008, 02:15 PM

thanks PRAS.... :D

Arthi
29th February 2008, 02:29 PM
sarna wait
may be selva, BG, Shakthi will participate here to give more inputs abt Rajkumar

I count the page number, and post in every page :lol2:

sarna_blr
29th February 2008, 03:09 PM
sarna wait
may be selva, BG, Shakthi will participate here to give more inputs abt Rajkumar

I count the page number, and post in every page :lol2:

Eththana dhadava sonnaalum puriyaadha...naduvula naduvula Dr. RAJ appadi'nu add pannikkonga :D

Arthi
29th February 2008, 03:17 PM
sarna wait
may be selva, BG, Shakthi will participate here to give more inputs abt RajkumarI count the page number, and post in every page :lol2:

Eththana dhadava sonnaalum puriyaadha...naduvula naduvula Dr. RAJ appadi'nu add pannikkonga :D

ethana thadavai paarthalum thEriyaadha :twisted:

sarna_blr
29th February 2008, 03:19 PM
sarna wait
may be selva, BG, Shakthi will participate here to give more inputs abt RajkumarI count the page number, and post in every page :lol2:

Dont put as RAJKUMAR....put as Dr. Raj Kumar

Arthi
29th February 2008, 03:23 PM
sarna wait

hey ithEllam romba over-u gO :roll: :P

sarna_blr
29th February 2008, 03:56 PM
sarna wait

hey ithEllam romba over-u gO :roll: :P

Lambretta
29th February 2008, 11:24 PM
Nice to read bout Dr. Rajkumar.
This brings me to ask- sarna, do u hav ne idea what cars/vehicles Dr. Rajkumar had owned? Especially in his heydays??

I'm 90% sure he had owned a Herald......so many from the film industry all over India had them too at one point of time! :)

Ramakrishna
1st March 2008, 08:20 PM
yaemandi ellaarum Dr.Raj-a vechukunnu comedy chesthaa unnaaru :evil:
Wibhu :hammer:

Wibha
2nd March 2008, 03:24 AM
yaemandi ellaarum Dr.Raj-a vechukunnu comedy chesthaa unnaaru :evil:
Wibhu :hammer:

vandhuteya :lol2:

welcome Dr.Rajkumar's NUMBER ONE FAN :lol2: :clap:

sarna_blr
3rd March 2008, 10:32 AM
[tscii:407d0ec11f]The very name Dr Raj evokes in me many pictures. And Dr Raj is several “men” in a procession.

Since childhood he was the one actor who triggered our collective imagination. In fact a whole generation started seeing Kannada films only because Dr Raj Kumar acted in it.

In fact, I saw only his films for many years. Dr. Raj Kumar was also one of the most versatile actors in Indian cinema. His character depiction ranging from comedy to action, from rustic to aristocrat, from double to triple roles, from mythological characters to modern-day hero.

He adapted himself to all types of roles, thus creating for himself an indelible niche in the minds of the audience.

But Dr Raj was more than just a film personality.

Sure, he was a matinee idol for Kannadigas. But had been just that, he would have remained as a film actor and he would not have commanded the respect and love from millions of Kannadigas.

In his entirety, Dr Raj was an icon for Kannadigas.

An all-pervading phenomenon.

A cultural and social voice of the State. He took up the Kannada cause when its interests were in jeopardy. And I think he was the only person who could hold sway on Kannadigas for such a long period.

This was possible because of his humane nature. He touched the chords of millions of Kannadigas especially large sections of the middle class for whom his roles were tailor-made.

Dr Raj was very cautious about his image and used to select such roles that would enhance his persona. Till the very end last he protected it with great care.

For this sake he stopped smoking cigarettes, avoided liquor on and off the screen, and lived a very simple life unlike any film star. He was very innocent on worldly matters.

His wife Parvatamma played a very important role in his life. Many directors must have worked with him in his reel life but in real life she was the only director. She played this role with such command till the very end that people thought she was the director!

She never allowed him to air his views in public. She was always at his side. She used to decide the heroines for his films. I wonder why people called him annaavru as the real annaavru was Parvatamma.

In a way, it immensely helped Dr Raj tread the same course through out his career.

Nijakkoo Kannadakkobbane Raj.

When he died I felt I had lost a bit of myself.

[/tscii:407d0ec11f]

credit goes to original writer...

sarna_blr
3rd March 2008, 10:35 AM
12th April, 2006 3:00 PM, I got a mail, "Annavaru innilla" was the subject and that spoke volume for itself.

I could not believe this news, started searching web for reliable source of the information. Deccan Herald announced "Dr. Raj Kumar Passed away". It was a shock which was not expected.

In next one hour Came the announcement from the CEO, "Employees are advised to leave early..." and 13th April was declared holiday.

The sequence of event resembled something what happened in year 2000, that was when Dr. Raj kumar was kidnapped.

Before this, my memory fails to recall anything like this, it dates back to my school days when the school was let off when our prime minister Mrs. Indira Gandhi was killed.

Shocked with the news of Dr. Raj's death, I reached home witnessing Deserted roads of Bangalore, some burnt vehicles, tyres on fire, broken glasses of shops..., I reached home. switched on the TV, I saw lakhs of people assembling to pay their respect to the departed soul.

Dr. Raj was not a political leader nor a religious leader, he was a actor and he was the best at it. he would fill life into the characters he played, which no other actor could do.

That night I could not help brooding Hundreds of his movies I had seen from my childhood, Hosa Belaku, Kaviratna Kalidaasa, Chalisida Modagalu, Halu Jenu, Bhakta kumbara, Mayura, Babrubahana....If go on, I will have to list all the 200+ movies acted by him.

I looked back at the range of roles he has played, Starting from Bedara Kannapa

Historic roles like Krishna Deva Raya, immadi Pulakesh, RanaDheera Kanthirava....

As a common man in Bangara Manushya, Kasturi nivasa, kamanabillu..

Kaviratna Kalidasa, Kanak dasa....

Till the his last movie Shabdavedi..

Every movie made a big impact on Kanndigas, every character he played came alive on the silver screen. People of Karnataka will continue to watch and cherish these movies, Raj kumar may not be there, but he shall continue to live in every role he has played.

Annavare we will all miss you, We are grateful for what you have done for Kannada and Karnataka.

Nimma Atmakke Shanti Sigali..

credit goes to original writer....

sarna_blr
3rd March 2008, 10:42 AM
kailaasam kanDa namage..
kailaasa yaake bEku? ..
daasara kanDa namage..
vaikunTa yaake bEKu?..
mundina nanna janma..
barediTTanante brahma ..
illiye illiye ..
endhigu naanilliye ..

sarna_blr
3rd March 2008, 11:01 AM
[tscii:95a2e40afe]Those unfamiliar with Karnataka and the psyche of the people would have been surprised, bewildered even over the last week. What is it about this film star that makes Bangalore, and the state go wild? – they would have asked themselves and probably others. Not many can come up with an answer. Because Rajkumar is so much a part of the Kannadiga milieu that it is difficult to describe or explain why he enjoys the status he does.He just simply does. And by kidnapping him every fan of his feels violated. Hence the hysterics, the frenzy and the madness. Difficult to understand, but a reality nevertheless.

For Kannadigas, film star Rajkumar is almost a legend. His cult status is unparalleled in Kannada film industry, and in Karnataka as well. Soft spoken and gentle, he is diametrically different in real life from the dynamic, dialogue spewing hero in reel life. Nevertheless, the aura is the same on and off screen. In fact, Rajkumar is to Karnataka what MGR was for Tamil Nadu, without the political undertones of course. In fact he is so revered, that he is referred to as `Annavaru' (big brother) and his name is seldom used by fans. Rajkumar's popularity is something that has been envied by every other film star. He has the distinction of having acted in over 200 films, in the lead role in almost all of them. Not only has the film star set the silver screen on fire for the last 50 years, but has also charmed people with songs and sung almost all those picturised on him. Of late he had even started lending his voice to others, especially his two sons -Shivarajkumar and Raghavendra Rajkumar.

For the last four decades, the Kannada film industry has virtually revolved around this man. However, Rajkumar was not born so, not even with the name he goes about now. Born as Mutturaj in a very poor Idiga (toddy tapper) family in Singanallur, 73 years ago, his family later moved to Gajanur.

Inspiration for the little boy came in the form of his father Singanallur Puttaswame Gowda who was a theatre person. Rajkumar soon joined the famous Gubbi Veeranna theatre company. While performing the part of Ramakantha in the play ‘Bhakta Ambareesha’ the 25-year-old's prodigious talent was spotted and he was offered the lead role in Bedara Kannappa, his first film.

From then on, there has been no looking back for the soon to be uncrowned king of the Kannada film industry. He has acted in a variety of roles and many of them have come in for critical acclaim. His most famous and popular movies being Bangarada Manushya, Gandhadha Gudi, Kasturinivasa, Sannadi Appanna, even historical roles like in Babruvahana, Shankar-Guru, Akasmika, and many many more. He has so far acted in about 205 films and his most recent one Shabdavedhi, coming as it did after almost four years, was a runaway success.

But despite the astounding success, and his unshakeable hold on the Kannada film lovers, never has Rajkumar ever been involved in any unsavory incident. Not for him the star tantrums and arrogance. Instead he has always remained humble and reiterated over and over again that he owes everything to God.

He is also the most versatile actor in the Kannada film land. From comedy to action, from lover boy to double roles, from mythological characters to modern day social causes, he has carried everything with aplomb. But he is a people’s man. So much so that when he decided to retire about five years ago, his fans just would not let him be. They coaxed, cajoled, pleaded, and some even threatened to commit suicide if he did not act. The result was Shabdavedhi which came after nearly a five-year hiatus. And was instantly a runaway success. In fact, Rajkumar’s is a rare track record in the history of Kannada film industry. Almost all his films, barring his earlier ones, have all been successful. For his fans, his films are to be seen – the storyline just does not matter. It is a matter of ritual, a religious event.

That he has tremendous influence on the people of the Karnataka is evident from the reaction to his films. A firm believer and lover of Kannada, at the height of the Kannada struggle and even after the fervour died, he instilled love in the language by singing almost patriotic songs about the state and the language.In fact legend goes that he has refused to act in any other language films despite numerous offers, including turning down the Hindi mega star Amitabh Bachchan who asked him to do a guest role in his movie Coolie.

He has also been the most feted actor in Kannada. Apart from an honorary doctorate (fans get angry if he is addressed as anything but Dr Rajkumar), he has to his credit the title of Karnataka Ratna, the Padmabhushana and the Dada Saheb Phalke award.[/tscii:95a2e40afe]

credit goes to original writer...

raaja_rasigan
4th March 2008, 10:47 PM

nanum vazhthugiraen...

Captain thread-ayum meeri valarattum ungal annan annavaru pugazh :P

sarna_blr
5th March 2008, 09:24 AM

nanum vazhthugiraen...

Captain thread-ayum meeri valarattum ungal annan annavaru pugazh :P

Thanks captain rasigarE.....

Arthi
5th March 2008, 09:55 AM
still this thread is alive? :shock:

sarna_blr
5th March 2008, 09:58 AM

Still Dr Raj thread is alive?...indha maadhiri kElvi kEkkanum.....illana digression'nu solli delete paNNiduvaanga..... :lol:

Arthi
5th March 2008, 10:06 AM

Still Dr Raj thread is alive?...indha maadhiri kElvi kEkkanum.....illana digression'nu solli delete paNNiduvaanga..... :lol:

:x ( thangala unga kadi)
My request to Admin & Mods

Dear sir,
This is to inform you that all hubbers in our Mayyam are being harassed by a hubber Sarna_blr. All hubbers lost their sense of humour by sarna's MOKKAI

Please block his ID as early as possible

Kindly do the needful as early as possible

Regards
Arthi

sarna_blr
5th March 2008, 10:09 AM

Dear sir,
This is to inform you that all hubbers in our Mayyam are being harassed by a hubber Sarna_blr. All hubbers lost their sense of humour by sarna's MOKKAI

Regards
Arthi

:cry: :cry: :cry:

Arthi
5th March 2008, 05:13 PM

Dear sir,

Regards
Arthi

kaNNathOdachukOnga
ella threadlayum azharadhE pOzhappu :twisted:

illati Rajkumar varutha paduvaar( thank God i included his name)

sarna_blr
5th March 2008, 05:38 PM

Dear sir,

Regards
Arthi

kaNNathOdachukOnga
ella threadlayum azharadhE pOzhappu :twisted:

illati Rajkumar varutha paduvaar( thank God i included his name)

but u forgot to include Dr..... :lol:

sarna_blr
11th March 2008, 03:41 PM
konjam ellOrum paarunga.....

sarna_blr
19th March 2008, 02:08 PM
sarna.... I too have one question for u:

In Tamil, MGR-Sivaji

In Telugu, NTR-Nageshwar rao

likewise, who is the competitor for Rajkumar in kannada...... if anyone existed like that

No...IMHO...there is no other competitor for him...like MGR or NTR had....

But incase of NTR ...Krishna was the one who gave good competition to NTR....( source telugu friends)

raaja_rasigan
19th March 2008, 02:32 PM
If Rajkumar is No.1 .... then who else acted as heroes in other films...

I am curious to know the No.2 & No.3

sarna_blr
19th March 2008, 02:38 PM

Many didnt click like Dr Raj in Kannada film industry...but one actor named Shankernag...he was the big competetor for Dr Raj....but more than 10 years younger to Dr Raj... but he died in an accident long back......

If u see most of the autos...his photos will be displayed...

TR maadhiri dhaadi vachchiruppaaru....

Today also many of kannagas are worshipping him as God....in their functions... Dr Raj and Shanker nag's photos will be dispalyed....

raaja_rasigan
19th March 2008, 02:40 PM

Many didnt click like Dr Raj in Kannada film industry...but one actor named Shankernag...he was the big competetor for Dr Raj....but more than 10 years younger to Dr Raj... but he died in an accident long back......

If u see most of the autos...his photos will be displayed...

TR maadhiri dhaadi vachchiruppaaru....

Today also many of kannagas are worshipping him as God....in their functions... Dr Raj and Shanker nag's photos will be dispalyed....

ivaru yarunnu ketpadhudhan ennudaya adutha kelviya irundhurukkum...... almost all auto's in Bangalore have his photo....

sarna_blr
19th March 2008, 02:42 PM
ivaru yarunnu ketpadhudhan ennudaya adutha kelviya irundhurukkum...... almost all auto's in Bangalore have his photo....

So u know about him....

raaja_rasigan
19th March 2008, 02:44 PM

So u know about him....

No, I want to know about him

I have seen his pic..... i thought of asking to u like is he a political leader etc.

sarna_blr
19th March 2008, 02:51 PM
the below lines are all heard through my kannada friends....

Shankernag is a good actor....he was successful more than Dr Raj in kannada film industry for a short span....he acted as an Auto driver in Autoshanker(film name)....which ran for more than a year in many centres....
He used spend hard earned money to poors...he sponcered many autos freely for youths during those time...

sarna_blr
19th March 2008, 03:29 PM
R_R...for further details vist

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shankar_Nag

raaja_rasigan
25th March 2008, 02:55 PM
No R_R...there gaptan was mentioning some temple or tajmahal... :confused2:

nee indha padam ellam parthurukkiya :?: eppavum unga annathai padamthane parppae :poke:

//
yaam palamozhi thiraipadangalai paarppavan/rasippavan...especially all south language movies... padam nallaa irundhaa paappEn....Ramana sokkathangam padangalukku appuram unga gaptan yEdhaavudhu nalla/sumaar padangal vandhirukkaa.... ( engal anna.. :confused2:) ...

PS.. r_r ...dont reply in gaptan thread... :poke:
//

ungalukku nalladha paduradhu aduthavangalukku mosama irukkum...... so, if I say Sabari is good enough compared to other craps..... u won't accept :D

sarna_blr
13th April 2008, 12:48 PM
http://www.frontlineonnet.com/fl1724/17240160.htm

The eternal Kannada icon

ALIGHTING from the helicopter that brought him back from 108 days in captivity, Rajkumar knelt down with his hands folded and paid respect to the Karnataka soil. He did not let his fans down. This is what he is loved for. This is what makes him a super s tar. He never fails to show the people of Karnataka that he is every bit a Kannadiga and proud of his State.

The helicopter, in fact, had first landed at the HAL airport, but on learning that thousands of fans were waiting at Jakkur airport at the other end of the city, Rajkumar, apparently insisted on being taken there. His followers were overjoyed. They had b een waiting several hours for the return of their beloved "Annavaru" (elder brother).

V. SREENIVASA MURTHY
Rajkumar paying respects to his native soil, on landing at the HAL airport.

On his way to Vidhan Soudha, the State Assembly, to address the press, Rajkumar's convoy passed through roads filled with people waving the yellow and red (unofficial) flag of Karnataka. At Vidhan Soudha, the police had to control a huge crowd from mobbi ng the film star. Even the normally aloof press corps clapped when he entered the hall. Rajkumar then went home to find several hundred fans and admirers gathered outside his house. In spite of his family's reservations, he insisted on making an appearan ce and spoke to those gathered from the balcony of his home. He was emotional and teary eyed when he saw the adulation. Being back in his home state among people who loved him was the central theme of his speech. And, at the conclusion of his thanks he d id not forget to add "Jai Karnataka Mate."

Seventy-two year-old Rajkumar is Karnataka's biggest film star. But more significantly he has become a symbol of Karnataka's people and, perhaps not intentionally, also a spokesman for Kannada consciousness. He may not know it and he may not want it, say s an observer, but events have taken over and now Rajkumar is synonymous with the pro-Kannada movement. He is an icon in Karnataka and very few people dispute that.

RAJKUMAR traces his origins to Doddagajanur, in Tamil Nadu, the village from where he was kidnapped by Veerappan on July 31, 2000. Rajkumar was born as P. Muthuraj on April 24, 1928 to Lakshmamma and Singanallur Puttaswamiah. His father was a well-known stage actor with the Gubbi Veerana troupe and Rajkumar toured the countryside with his parents and the drama company. As a result, academics took a back seat. Acting, however, became second nature to him. After the age of eight or nine, he abandoned his education to pursue a life in the theatre.

In 1954, Rajkumar made his film debut in the lead role of H.L.N Simha's production, based on G.V Iyer's play Bedara Kannappa. He played the part of a Shiva devotee who overcame the severest of tests to prove his devotion. This role established him as a human-cum-mythological hero. He continued to act in this genre of films for several years, as a historical, divine or mythological, or all three rolled into one, character. Rajkumar's image, mainly moulded by veteran director G.V. Iyer, became the focus for a quest for Karnataka's cultural glory. The bulk of his historical dramas (Ranadheera Kantheerava, Immadi Pulikeshi) and mythological films "were geared to a populist, regional-chauvinist version of Karnataka's history focussing on Dravi dian feudalism's resistance to the North Indian agrarian systems".

Most of his films were of epic proportions. The costumes were elaborate and Rajkumar played each role with aplomb. The films presented a populist version of Karnataka's history, focussing primarily on the southern kingdoms from the Pallava period to the Vijayanagara empire and later to the intrigue and mystery of the Mysore royalty. Rajkumar later expanded his expression from mythologicals to the contemporary with Bangarada Manushya.

In all the films, his persona takes upon himself all the burdens. Iyer once commented that Rajkumar's talent lies in his versatility and his skills are illustrated by the way he modulates his performances from the historical to the mythological (Sri K annika Parameswari Kathe), from contemporary melodrama (Karulina Kare) to James Bond thrillers (Goadalli CID 999 and his Dorairaj-Bhagwan films.) A key pointer to his rise as a Kannada icon is that he never acted in any other language f ilm.

Forty-two years after his film debut, Rajkumar was awarded the Dadasaheb Phalke award in 1996 for his outstanding contribution to Indian cinema. He was the first actor from Karnataka and the fifth from South India to receive the highest recognition in th e film industry. In a career spanning 45 years, he has acted in approximately 204 films. He was given the Padma Bhushan in 1983 and he is a 12-time recipient of the State award for best actor. He has won 14 national awards and 16 State awards. In additio n, he is an accomplished singer.

Unlike his contemporaries M.G. Ramachandran and N.T. Rama Rao, Rajkumar never entered politics, nor is he connected to any political party either. He is however, linked to the Akhila Karnataka Dr. Rajkumar Abhimanigala Sangha - a quasi political organisa tion. The sangha members are proponents of the pro-Kannada movement. The organisation was involved in the Cauvery riots of October 1990, in which Tamils were targeted. Although Rajkumar personally did not take sides and has distanced himself from these i ssues, his fans have been actively involved in Kannada nationalist campaigns.

Rajkumar in Bangarada Manushya.

Perhaps his only brush with politics was in 1982-83, when he toured Karnataka addressing public meetings to protest against the non-implementation of the V.K. Gokak Committee Report. The report recommended imparting education in the State in Kannada.

According to Madhava Prasad, Senior Fellow at the Centre for the Study of Culture and Society, stars like Rajkumar need their followers, but after a point the activities of the fan associations are beyond their control. Prasad says that Rajkumar's person ality is gentle and the actor is modest about his achievements. "He is quite humble for a star." The bottom line appears to be that he has no political aspirations yet he plays an important role in the State.

When he was released from captivity, he told his followers: "My abduction is a great lesson for the country. Especially for the two southern States, Tamil Nadu and Karnataka. Despite my hardships and ordeal, I must say that it is a blessing in disguise b ecause it underlines the urgent need for the much required unity between Tamils and Kannadigas." Coming from him such a statement can go a long way. His influence and power among the people of Karnataka cannot be dismissed that easily.

This was made quite clear when he was abducted three months ago. Fans went on the rampage. They shattered windows in buildings, burnt a bus, targeted Tamil Nadu registered cars and two wheelers. They literally shut down Bangalore city for a few days. The weeks that followed saw vehicles and buildings pasted with Rajkumar posters and yellow and red flags. Fans performed "urule sevas", some even threatened to go into the jungle and rescue him. Veerappan had a prize catch in Rajkumar. Even the existence of the State government would have been threatened if anything had happened to the thespian

sarna_blr
13th April 2008, 03:02 PM
NATA SAAMRAT (http://i299.photobucket.com/albums/mm285/sarna_blr/all_raj.jpg)

sarna_blr
8th August 2008, 10:15 AM
http://withoutfound.blogspot.com/2007/06/raj-in-1952.html

Chanced upon this pic on the net.

Notice how no one's smiling here - ok so there's a flicker of a grin on Dr Raj's face, but one cant really say for sure. If you recollect, back then no one smiled when they posed for photographs. I remember going through old family albums only to find an almost defiant looking taata and a petrified naani staring right back at me!Its almost like they believed the camera would suck their souls!

Much before he joined the movies, Dr Rajkumar was working with the Gubbi Veeranna theatre company, then based in Davanagere. This photograph was clicked there, at the Krishna Photo Studio in the year 1952.

And the little girl in the centre is the legend's kid sister. Doesn't she look like Puneet??

jaiganes
12th September 2008, 01:58 AM
where would i be able to download kannada classics from the net or rent good old kannada DVDs? I am in USA now where I dont get Kannada rentals :-(

Dilbert
18th February 2010, 09:48 AM
where would i be able to download kannada classics from the net or rent good old kannada DVDs? I am in USA now where I dont get Kannada rentals :-(

Not True it depends, where you live.. in seattle, phenoix, Pittsburgh , somes part of michgan, you can get even some classics in few places..

I use to go to this site

Bharathmovies.com but issue these idiot have that crap trojan viruses all over the site.

If you have good virus on laptop .. should work just fine.

http://kannada-music1.blogspot.com/

http://www.kannadasamay.com/