PDA

View Full Version : Arulmigu Thamaraikannan Thirukkovil, Thiruvellarai

natar_77
17th March 2008, 09:28 AM
Visit : vaaramorualayam.blogspot.com
www.adhikaalai.com

Temple : Arulmigu Thamaraikannan Thirukkovil, Thiruvellarai
This weeks episode is about " Arulmigu Thamaraikannan Thirukkovil, Thiruvellarai".

AudioLink: http://podbazaar.castmetrix.net/download/144115188075857102/1/TamilPodcast51VaaramOruAlayamArulmiguPundarikaksha ThirukkovilThiruvellarai.mp3
Audio Duration: 5m 24 sec

Location&Direction:This Divya Kshetram is located closer to Thiruchi.It is located 13 miles from Thiruchi and lies on the way to Thuraiyur

Current Name : Thiruvellarai
MainDeity : PundariKatchan
Godesses : Shenpakavalli,Pankayaselvi
Utsavar : Pankayaselvi
Theertham : 7 theerthams are located within temple premises
Vimanam : Vimalakrutha varthanam

Legend says Lord gave Dharshan to King sipi and Markandeyar who were chasing after a white pig (varaham). King Sipi thereafter built this temple and later renovated with great art and sculpture works by king Narasimhavarma pallava.As this temple is older than srirangam, hence the name "Adhi vellarai".Ramanuja spent sometime in this sthalam. There is a village nearby named "Neelivanam" where Shiva worshipped perumal to get rid of Kapalam from his hand as well.

To hear sthalapuranam and more about this temple.Please click below to hear the episode.
http://podbazaar.castmetrix.net/download/144115188075857102/1/TamilPodcast51VaaramOruAlayamArulmiguPundarikaksha ThirukkovilThiruvellarai.mp3

Thanx
Nataraj Prakash
www.adhikaalai.com

P_R
17th March 2008, 07:04 PM
It is a beautiful temple.
I went there in the summer of 2006.

MainDeity : *****
The name of main deity is புண்டரீகாக்ஷன் - செந்தாமரைக்கண்ணன்

The outer gopuram of the temple was unfinished - which is apparently a signature of later Chola temples. It has an open corridor around it. There are two entrances to main deity's sannidhi. Each used for one half of the year. Each of the steps approaching the Lord had a subtle meaning to it. Unfortunately the exact meaning escapes me.

The archakar who was there when I went was excellent (he was an MPhil in Mathematics !) and explained the temple very well to us.
It is not as popular as Srirangam and is likely to be much less crowded and hence very satisfying.

There is a village nearby named "Neelivanam" where Shiva worshipped perumal to get rid of Kapalam from his hand as well. I think the temple being referred to here is the Uthtamar Kovil temple. It is one of the 108 Divya Desam temples. It is between Srirangam and ThiruveLLarai. It is one of the rare temples where Siva, Vishnu and Brahma all have sannidhis.