PDA

View Full Version : Petrol saving and tips....

sarna_blr
9th April 2008, 05:45 PM
[tscii:b15a11317f]Tips on Filling your Vehicles...

This is a Message received from a friend:

I don't know what you guys are paying for petrol... but here in Durban, we are also paying higher, up to 47.35 per litre. But my line of work is in petroleum for about 31 years now, so here are some tricks to get more of your money's worth for every litre.
Here at the Marian Hill Pipeline, where I work in Durban, we deliver about 4 million litres in a 24-hour period thru the pipeline.
One day is diesel; the next day is jet fuel, and petrol, LRP and Unleaded. We have 34-storage tanks here with a total capacity of 16,800,000 litres.
ONLY BUY OR FILL UP YOUR CAR OR BIKKIE IN THE EARLY MORNING WHEN THE GROUND TEMPERATURE IS STILL COLD. Remember that all service stations have their storage tanks buried below ground. The colder the ground, the denser the fuel, when it gets warmer petrol expands, so buying in the afternoon or in the evening.... your litre is not exactly a litre.
In the petroleum business, the specific gravity and the temperature of the petrol, diesel and jet fuel, ethanol and other petroleum products play an important role. A 1degree rise in temperature is a big deal for this business. But the service stations do not have temperature compensation at the pumps.

WHEN YOU'RE FILLING UP, DO NOT SQUEEZE THE TRIGGER OF THE NOZZLE TO A FAST MODE. If you look, you will see that the trigger has three (3) stages: low,middle, and high. In slow mode, you should be pumping on low speed, thereby minimizing the vapours that are created, while you are pumping. All hoses at the pump have a vapour return. If you are pumping on the fast rate, some of the liquid that goes to your tank becomes vapour. Those vapours are being sucked up and back into the underground storage tank so you're getting less worth for your money.
ONE OF THE MOST IMPORTANT TIPS IS TO FILL UP WHEN YOUR TANK IS HALF FULL. The reason for this is, the more fuel you have in your tank, the less air occupying its empty space. Petrol evaporates faster than you can imagine. Petroleum storage tanks have an internal floating roof. This roof serves as zero clearance between the petrol and the atmosphere, so it minimizes the evaporation.
Unlike service stations, here where I work, every truck that we load is temperature compensated, so that every litre is actually the exact amount.
ANOTHER REMINDER, IF THERE IS A FUEL TRUCK PUMPING INTO THE STORAGE TANKS, WHEN YOU STOP TO BUY, DO NOT FILL UP - most likely the petrol/diesel is being stirred up as the fuel is being delivered, and you might pick up some of the dirt that normally settles on the bottom.
Hope, this will help you get the maximum value for your money.
DO SHARE THESE TIPS WITH OTHERS! LET’S SHARE INFORMATION AND BENEFIT ALL, FOR THE BETTER OF MANKIND.[/tscii:b15a11317f]

app_engine
9th April 2008, 06:46 PM
Excellent information, sarna_blr! Even here in U.S., the gas prices are going up (MI average is around $3.4 a gallon now and expected to reach $4 in summer) and any step in conservation is worth it.

Personally I've found that running in "cruise" increases the mileage by 10% (probably due to my otherwise rash driving style) and there's another advantage in "cruise" - one doesn't risk going overspeed unknowingly (like while on a cell-phone conversation / focussing on the niceties of the song being played etc).

littlemaster1982
9th April 2008, 10:25 PM
Thanks for the information, Sarna. Really useful :thumbsup:

sarna_blr
10th April 2008, 08:29 AM
Thanks.... App_engine and LM....

App_engine.....neenga application engineer'aaaaaaa?

app_engine
10th April 2008, 05:47 PM
app_engine is short form of "Application Engine", a tool in Peoplesoft:-) konjam "IT"ish'A irukkattumEnnu pOttukkittadhu:-)

sarna_blr
10th April 2008, 05:48 PM
//
OK...neengalum Mod'aa...
//

app_engine
10th April 2008, 06:04 PM
sarna_blr, please check your PM. Thanks.

Nerd
10th April 2008, 07:13 PM
Personally I've found that running in "cruise" increases the mileage by 10% (probably due to my otherwise rash driving style) and there's another advantage in "cruise" - one doesn't risk going overspeed unknowingly (like while on a cell-phone conversation / focussing on the niceties of the song being played etc).

Cruise does save gas consumption. But at least in my case, cruise always puts me to sleep. Needless to say, soothing music acts as a catalyst :oops:

dev
11th April 2008, 08:57 AM

Cruise does save gas consumption. But at least in my case, cruise always puts me to sleep. Needless to say, soothing music acts as a catalyst :oops:

Appo cruise also has the potential to keep population under control-nu sollunga... :wink: :lol: :P

app_engine
16th April 2008, 09:39 PM
Some discipline helps in saving gas (I'm not talking about walking / cycling instead of car'ring).

Simple things like - taking a few minutes to 'PLAN' before taking the wheels (Something like - "Let me grab milk from meijer on my way to pick the son from basketball instead of two trips", for e.g.)

Also if one has multiple vehicles, drive the most efficient one always unless the other(s) MUST be used. (It's nice to run a van / SUV instead of the tiny compact car, but when only one person is travelling or commuting, it's good to think about 30+ mpg v/s 20- mpg, both from expense and environmental POV)

app_engine
23rd April 2008, 09:39 PM
Some of the things that I put into practice are also here:

http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/drive.shtml

It's interesting that they mention vehicle with CNG has only 50% fuel cost compared to gas (please check the stats for Honda Civic CNG, for e.g.) May be it's an U.S. number. However, don't India also boast of decent natural gas resources? On top of it, CNG is probably much less polluting (conversion of Delhi public transporation / taxi's into CNG is a good example).

Now, what are the limitations in converting to CNG on a large scale?

Lambretta
27th April 2008, 02:04 PM
Also if one has multiple vehicles, drive the most efficient one always unless the other(s) MUST be used. (It's nice to run a van / SUV instead of the tiny compact car, but when only one person is travelling or commuting, it's good to think about 30+ mpg v/s 20- mpg, both from expense and environmental POV)
Goodp oint- I might add that if one has multiple vehicles, its best to have vintage/classic ones among those, as they'd be sparingly used (driven only for vintage rallies/shows then put back home- NEVER driven in regular traffic anyways!) thus that'd be all the more economical/eco-friendly (besides encouraging a nice hobby too! :wink: :P :lol: )

app_engine
29th April 2008, 11:23 PM
Any link to the current status of CNG vehicle population in India (as well as availability of stations) ?

sarna_blr
26th May 2008, 11:45 AM
http://epaper.timesofindia.com/Daily/skins/TOI/navigator.asp?Daily=TOIH&login=default

seeks RS 10 hike for petrol.... :oops:

app_engine
26th May 2008, 08:16 PM
As gas prices cross $4 in Michigan, time at gas pumps can hardly be one of being pleasant. Yet I had one, this Thursday morning- not because of the price which was 3.95 at that time, but because of the ULEV performance!

Who won't smile with the trip meter showing 395 miles (I reset it each time when pumping gas) and the tank got filled at 9.9 gallons! Hurray! Almost 40mpg! Fantastic performance this time for the civic!

What was the reason?

-Did I drive in abnormal times when the traffic was low? No- the same 8.15 AM - 5.15 PM on freeways (though it's driving away from city in the morning, which was the case even before)

-Did I drive at 55 mph? No, I would've then made the drivers at I-96 crazy. It was the same 75mph +- 5 range

-Did I not have any other trips? - No, similar school trips daily, shopping etc

-Did I switch off the heat / ac? - No, heat was on in the morning trips to school when it was 40's and a/c in evenings when external is higher 60's (and in the open parking lot, inside could get to 80's easily).

So what was the key? Other than probably "good gas" and the ULEV engine?

In one word - cruise, that made the difference between 350's & 390's:-)

app_engine
26th May 2008, 08:43 PM
One may notice that the mpg claims of stick-shift models are higher than the auto transmission. We can't switch to stick-shift simply for that reason. However, we can improve the efficiency of automatics by mimicking the stick-shift style driving. How?

If one has the rpm meter, it's possible to observe when the gear shifts (i.e. if the model is not CVT, which is usually the case) and raise and reduce the accelerator to force the automatic transmission to shift gears ( and you can observe in the rpm meter). This helps when you're driving in non-freeway (35 -45 mph) roads.

Nichiro
27th May 2008, 04:50 AM
Friends,

I am using Acetone along with petrol in ratio of 100 ml per ten gallons of petrol.
My milage of Toyota Camry 1994 model 6 cylinders has improved from 28 MPG to 34 /36 MPG. (Last two years , I had no problem with my car)

Now my car runs like a dream.
Don't believe me?
Just google for usage of Acetone In Gas(petrol) .
You will get a host of websites . But stick to an old man's website who has been using acetone since last 60 years.

I too live in Detroit Michigan.

Nichiro

Best Acetone is available for abt 2.90 USD a large bottle at CVS Pharmacy in Nail polish section.. (actually it is nail polish remover)

sarna_blr
6th June 2008, 11:13 AM
This is a break up considering crude oil at 130 $ per barrel. Following
details are for per liter petrol in Rs.

Basic Price = Rs 21.93
Excise duty = Rs 14.35
Education Tax = Rs 0.43
Dealer commission = Rs 1.05
VAT = Rs 5.5
Crude Oil Custom duty = Rs 1.1
Petrol Custom = Rs 1.54
Transportation Charge = Rs 6.00
Total price = Rs 51.90
So for a Rs 22 liter petrol at pumps we people pay Rs 28 tax extra.

Is the above news true.... well known persons are requested to confirm.... :roll:

Lambretta
6th June 2008, 01:07 PM
In some petrol pumps like shell, only super premium petrol is sold and it costs Rs.64/l..:x

sarna_blr
6th June 2008, 01:57 PM
64 Rs per litre'aaa... 61'nu kElvi pattEn.... :roll:

wrap07
7th June 2008, 11:38 AM
Consumers worldwide wrestle with rising gasoline prices

Taxes and subsidies are the main reasons for the differences along with lesser factors

Consumers, gas retailers and governments are grappling with a new energy order, where rising oil prices play a larger role than ever in the daily lives of increasingly mobile people.

ENERGY CRUNCH: A trucker pumps fuel into a storage tank of his vehicle in San Francisco, California.

Feeling woozy about the fortune you have just pumped into your gas tank? Drivers around the world share the sensation.

Consumers, gas retailers and governments are wrestling with a new energy order, where rising oil prices play a larger role than ever in the daily lives of increasingly mobile people. But as the cost of crude mounts, the effect on the price at the pump varies startlingly — from Venezuela, where gas is cheaper than water, to Turkey, where a full tank can cost more than a domestic plane ticket.

Taxes and subsidies are the main reasons for the differences, along with lesser factors such as limited oil refining capacity and hard-to-reach geography that push up prices.

High taxes in Europe and Japan have long accustomed consumers to staggering pump prices, which now are testing new pain thresholds — and it could have been even worse, if a strong euro had not cushioned some of the blow. As a result, plenty of European adults never even bother to learn to drive, preferring cheap mass transit to cumbersome cars.
Emerging economies

Subsidies in emerging economies such as China and India, meanwhile, shield consumers but hurt governments, which must find a way to afford rising market prices for oil.

Increasingly, they can’t. Indonesians are staging protests against shrinking gasoline subsidies in a nation where nearly half the population of 235 million lives on less than $2 a day. And there are now 887 million vehicles in the world, up from 553 million vehicles just 15 years ago, and on track to nearly double to a billion by 2012, according to London-based consultancy Global Insight.

In Europe, taxes are often the focus, since the high tax burden means crude itself is a smaller part of the burden.

“The pain of a rise in prices is much less in Europe, because we may be paying a lot more here, but the rise in a percentage sense is a lot smaller,” said an oil analyst at the Paris-based International Energy Agency.

The United States, with its relatively low taxes, is considered to have retail prices closer to what energy data charts call the “real cost” of gasoline — which is closely linked to the price of oil.

So as oil prices have soared, average U.S. prices have gone up 144 per cent in the past five years — from $1.67 in May 2003 to $4.02 a gallon this month (43 cents to $1.03 a litre), according to the U.S. Energy Information Administration. Over the same period, gas prices in France went up 117 per cent to $9.66 a gallon (1.60 a litre).

Proposals by U.S. presidential candidates John McCain and Hillary Clinton to suspend federal gas taxes this summer would lower the price tag — but have little effect on the underlying oil price. French President Nicholas Sarkozy has urged the EU to cut value-added tax on fuel.

French fishermen and farmers, who need fuel for their trawlers and tractors, say their livelihoods are threatened by soaring prices and have blocked oil terminals around France and shipping traffic on the English Channel to demand government help. Italian, Portuguese and Spanish fisherman joined them and went on strike last Friday. British and Bulgarian truckers are staging fuel protests, too.

Russia is proof that big oil-producing nations are not in any better shape when it comes to gasoline prices. Gas in the world’s No. 2 oil producer runs about 95 cents a litre ($3.68 a gallon) — nearly that in the U.S., where the average wage is about six times higher.

Much of the Russian cost comes from taxes, which run between 60 and 70 per cent. Limited refining capacity and the costs of transporting gasoline across the country’s vast expanse also push up prices.

Turkey faces similar problems — and even higher prices — $11.29 a gallon ($2.91 a litre), which for a full tank in a midsize car can reach nearly $200, enough for a domestic plane ticket.

In China, government-mandated low retail gasoline prices have helped farmers and China’s urban poor but also have hurt conservation. In the first four months of 2008, gasoline consumption was up 5.5 per cent from the same period last year.

Venezuela, too, is a gas-guzzler’s wonderland. A litre costs just 3 cents (12 cents a gallon), and consumers are snapping up SUVs even as Americans are shunning them. Thanks to long-held government subsidies and plenty of oil, Venezuelans see cheap fuel as a birthright.
Brazilian solution

Some policymakers in less oil-flush nations look to Brazil’s use of ethanol as a potential solution. Ethanol from sugarcane is widely available in the world’s No. 1 sugar producer and its 190 million people. Eight out of every 10 new cars sold are flex-fuel models that run on pure ethanol, gas or any combination of the two.

The price for ethanol in Sao Paulo is currently running about half the price of gas, which runs $1.50 a litre ($5.67 a gallon).

In Japan, gas station owners say some customers aren’t filling up their tanks all the way.

“It’s been tough. I had to switch to regular gasoline from premium class,” said Hiroyuki Kashiwabara, a company employee in his 50s whose monthly spending on gasoline has increased by nearly 10,000 yen ($96) over the last couple of months.Americans, too, are beginning to trim their hearty gas appetites.

“We’re beginning to see a slowdown in the U.S. in gasoline demand in particular. That’s not so visible in other parts of the world,” the IEA’s oil analyst said.

Jean-Marc Jancovici, a French engineer and co-author of a philosophical treatise called “Fill It Up, Please!” despairs rising thirst in the developing world for shrinking oil resources.

“The real question is ... how to save peace and democracy in this context,” he asks.

His answer? To rich-country consumers, at least, he says: Pick up your bike and “stop being petroleum slaves.” — AP

http://www.hindu.com/biz/2008/06/02/stories/2008060250071600.htm

sarna_blr
12th June 2008, 12:46 PM
Petrol in Pakistan Rs17 per litr
Malaysia Rs 18 per litr
In India it's Rs.59 per litr

is this true :? :roll:

app_engine
13th June 2008, 08:34 PM
ஞாநி கெளப்பறார்:

http://kumudam.com/magazine/Kumudam/2008-06-18/pg14.php

இதிலிருந்து:
===========
சிக்கனத்துக்கு என் யோசனைகள் இதோ. இதை விட இன்னும் சிறப்பான யோசனைகளை எல்லாரும் யோசிக்கலாம்.

1. கார், டூவீலருக்கு லிட்டர் விலை: ரூ 100. விமான பெட்ரோலுக்கு சலுகை எதுவும் கூடாது. ஆட்டோ, சரக்கு லாரிகள், ரயில் எஞ்சின் முதலியவற்றுக்கான பெட்ரோல், டீசலுக்கு மட்டுமே சலுகை விலை.

2. பள்ளி, கல்லூரி மாணவர்கள் யாரும் டூவீலர் ஓட்ட அனுமதியில்லை. சைக்கிளை மட்டுமே பயன்படுத்தலாம். உடலுக்கும் நல்லது. பர்ஸுக்கும் நல்லது.

3. சைக்கிளில் சென்று வரும் தொலைவில் வீடு உள்ளவர்களுக்கு மட்டுமே அந்தந்த வட்டாரப் பள்ளி,கல்லூரிகளில் அட்மிஷன் தரப்படவேண்டும்.

4. அரசு அதிகாரிகள், அமைச்சர்கள் அன்றாடம் பஸ், ரயில்களை மட்டுமே பயன்படுத்த வேண்டும்.

5. எந்த நகரிலும் எந்தச் சாலையிலும் புதிய மேம்பாலங்கள் அடுத்த பத்தாண்டுகளுக்குக் கட்டக் கூடாது. புதிய உள்ளூர் ரயில் திட்டங்களுக்கு மட்டுமே அனுமதி உண்டு.

6. முக்கிய நகரங்களுக்கு இடையே சரக்கு ரயில்களுக்கு என்று தனி ரயில் பாதை அமைக்கப்பட வேண்டும்.

7. ஒரு காரில் ஒருவர்/இருவர் மட்டுமே பயணம் செய்வதைக் கண்டால், ஸ்பாட் ஃபைன் போடப்படும்.

இன்னும் சொல்லிக் கொண்டே போகலாம்.இதையெல்லாம் நிறைவேற்றும் எண்ணம் நம் அரசியல்வாதிகளுக்குக் கிடையாது. காரணம், இப்படிச் செய்தால் ஓட்டு கிடைக்காது என்று அவர்கள் பயப்படுவார்கள். இப்படிச் செய்யாவிட்டால்,ஓட்டுப் போடமாட்டோம் என்று பொது மக்கள் சொல்லும் நிலை வர வேண்டும்..

=============

app_engine
20th June 2008, 10:34 PM
http://www.kumudam.com/magazine/Kumudam/2008-06-25/pg29.php

There are some tips for those filling in TN petrol bunks. From this article:
===============
வாடிக்கையாளர்கள் கவனமா இருந்தா, இந்த மோசடியைத் தவிர்க்க முடியும். மீட்டர் ஜீரோ காட்டும்போது மட்டும்தான் பெட்ரோல் போட நாம அனுமதிக்கணும். வாடிக்கையாளர்கள் வராம, குறைந்த பட்சம் அரைமணி நேரம் சும்மா இருக்குற பம்ப்புல முதல் ஆளா போய் பெட்ரோல் போட்டாலும் அளவு குறையும். அதனால கூட்டம் இல்லாத பங்க்ல பெட்ரோல் போடறதைத் தவிர்க்குறது நல்லது. பம்ப்பின் சரியான வேகம் ஒரு நிமிஷத்துக்கு 10 லிட்டர். இதுக்குக் குறைவான வேகத்துல பெட்ரோல் ஊத்தினா,அளவு குறையுதுங்கிறதை கண்டுபிடிச்சிடலாம். இரண்டு பம்ப் இருந்தா, பெரும்பாலும் அதுல ஒண்ணு மட்டும்தான் தப்பா செட் பண்ணப்பட்டிருக்கும். இன்னொரு பம்ப் ஒழுங்கா செயல்படும். ரெய்டு நேரத்துல தப்பிக்குறதுக்காக இந்த ஏற்பாடு. பங்க்ல இருக்குறவங்க தவறான பம்ப் மூலமா நமக்கு பெட்ரோல் போடுறதுக்கு ஆர்வம் காட்டுவாங்க. அப்போ நாம் உஷார் ஆகி, அடுத்த பம்ப்புக்குப் போயிடணும். இதையெல்லாம் மீறி பெட்ரோலின் அளவில் சந்தேகம் இருந்தா, அந்தப் பகுதியில் இருக்குற எடை அளவு கட்டுப்பாட்டு அதிகாரிகிட்டே புகார் பண்ணலாம்''
================

app_engine
24th June 2008, 06:47 PM
This has become such a major topic in the U.S. now with both presidential candidates talking about it frequently. The latest I read today is McCain proposing a $300mn prize for any who develop a miracle battery ($1 per each citizen):-) The other talks being "drill more", "give $5K tax break to zero emission vehicles" etc

I'm also bombarded with a lot of junk mail for miracle additives with EPA approval that can increase mileage by 20%, sold only on web etc:-)

Among all the gloom, there are couple of great things:
- reduction of total miles that Americans drive in a month (reduced in billions, what a wonderful thing to environment!)
- reduction of average speed in some states (esp. freeways) as observed by state troopers

I wish gas price stays higher (even increases more) to create more awareness, more responsible handling of the black gold, less pollution and better sustainability!

P_R
24th June 2008, 07:03 PM
Why is reduction is average speed interesting ?

app_engine
24th June 2008, 07:29 PM
Reduction in average speed -

It's typical for freeway drivers to overspeed, at least by 5 miles. (Normally cops give ticket if it's > 5 miles and most try to drive at 75 in 70 mph zone or 70 in 65mph zone etc to avoid tickets)

This is bad in two ways - 1. Unsafe & 2. More gas use as the optimum use is at specified speed limit. And many cars are most efficient around 60mph (little higher if it has overdrive gear). When millions of cars drive at 5 mile overspeed, millions of gallons of gas get wasted:-)

app_engine
24th June 2008, 07:29 PM
http://www.dailyfueleconomytip.com/driving-habits/the-top-10-ways-to-reduce-your-gasoline-consumption/

If you don't want to read the whole article, following are the 10 points mentioned:

1. Don't drive if you don't have to
2. Minimize the amount of time you sit on idle
3. Use a nice, steady and moderate accelaration
4. Try to stay at or near the speed limit
5. Coast whenever possible
6. Drive with the windows up
7. Turn on the a/c instead of rolling windows down above 35 mph (i.e. if it's hot or you need circulation)
8. Make sure tires are properly inflated
9. Replace the air filter if dirty
10. Get all the useless / needless items out of the vehicle

app_engine
25th June 2008, 08:56 PM
Another good thing (bad for the big 3 but good for earth ofcourse) is the dramatic drop in the sale of trucks. It's sheer arrogance to drive around a gaz-guzzling truck for tasks that don't require them. I saw a graph on wallst journal yesterday that showed the dramatic increase in the sale of trucks in the last few decades and corresponding drop of sale of cars.

That the trend is reversed with increasing gas prices is great for environment. It's so irritating to see someone driving a "F350" 2 miles from home, all alone, to get a cup of coffee in starbucks:-( Outright arrogance!

app_engine
27th June 2008, 12:19 AM
Though this is a sales site (could even be scam, who knows), there is some interesting information:
http://www.thegassecret.net/

Some of the info to lead buyers opting for their fuel-additive (not acetone as suggested by Nichiro, but some "magic" potion):
================================================== ================================================== ========
Just like most living things needs oxygen to breathe, fire needs oxygen to burn, and gasoline needs oxygen to explode powerfully enough to move a car.
Your engine doesn't actually use gasoline. It uses "gasoline vapor". When you pour gasoline into your gas tank, it goes in there in liquid form. Before you engine can use the gasoline, it has to turn it into gas-vapor.
When the engine vaporizes the gasoline, it mixes the gasoline with oxygen to create a rich powerful oxygen/gasoline mixture.This is the job of the fuel injection system in your car, or the carburetor (if you drive an older car)
What engine experts and oil companies have known for years is that only about 30-50% of the gas you put in your car gets properly vaporized for ignition.

A big chunk 15-20% of gasoline gets un-burnt due to the size of the gasoline molecules, this comes out your engine as smog and pollution.

Even more energy is wasted becasue of the wear-and tear in the engine, engine energy HEAT loss, and cooling energy, which all adds up to about 80% in wasted energy.

Now if you're like me, and I'm not very good at math, that might sound like swahili. What it means in English is that whenever you pump up your gas, it's like getting ripped off twice... Once for gas prices of over 3.00 per gallon, and then again, becuase not all that gas is actually used properly...

Think about it... 15% to 20% of the gas you buy comes out your tail-pipe as waste... that's like pouring one fifth of the gas you buy all over the ground when you pump up your car. This is why we have such large smog and pollution problems today, especially in countries where leaded fuel is still used.
================================================== ================================================== ========
Have you ever tried to get from point A to B through a crowd FULL of people shoulder to shoulder?
It's the same with gasoline. It clumps together, because it's a very rich, and heavy compound. It's like a bunch of marbles stuck together very tightly.
What the oil companies did was find a way to spread the gasoline particles out, so they have more space between them, like pop-corn.This lets air and oxygen between them, and makes them burn better.
When you drive up to a gas station and see the different grades of gasoline... Basic, Premium, Plus... etc... These are just different grades of molecule spacing. They're making the gas more effective, and charging you more money for it!
The more air gets to the gasoline... The more effective it is... the further you drive on the same tank of gas ... the more money you save!

It's also much better for your engine parts as the gasoline burns more evenly and creates less wear-and-tear on the motor.

app_engine
27th June 2008, 12:29 AM
I got a mailer from a local auto dealer who said they can help to reduce gas costs by $111 per month:-) Though it looked funny (and it turned out to be so in my case), I wanted to look at it.

It said, increase gas mileage by 6 mpg (by buying their new model car / truck), one can save this money if they are driving 12K miles per year (which is the standard lease term as max # of miles, even the dodge $2.99 price-gurarantee for 3 years is for this 12K miles only).

It won't work $111 for me:-) As advertised, if my present vehicle is burning @12mpg and I improve to 18mpg @$4 a gallon, only then this is possible. (4*1000/12 v/s 4*1000/18). Driving already at around 35 mpg, this may not help me.

However, what I could understand is there are thousands of fellows who today drive their huge trucks @ 12mpg and burning off precious fuel into polluting gases. Unfortunate, really!

kutti_anand
27th June 2008, 03:04 PM
Can anyone suggest a good 100 CC bike? i wanna buy one for my dad.... need good mileage.... how is splendor NXG? i dont wanna go for XCD or Platina.... hate both of 'em....

app_engine
1st July 2008, 09:21 PM
http://dinamalar.com/fpnnews.asp?News_id=1169&cls=row3

If we go by the readers' comments below this article, there is obvious anger among people in TN on the non-availability of "regular" petrol. Whatever compulsion is there for oil companies to promote the premium version(s), this definitely appears to be quite unfair as there seems to be little choice for the consumer. While whether the govt. can or cannot (rather should or should not) do anything on this is unclear, people's anger will usually be directed against those in power. IMO, this and the other price escalations could be the single factor in the next polls.

app_engine
1st July 2008, 09:25 PM
However, the fact is oil crisis is a worldwide phenomenon (much like the food crisis). So much so that lot of discussion on this matter is heard in US president election too.

Does any hubber have the insight as to why the sudden increase in crude prices (that too at such an alarming rate)?

app_engine
29th July 2008, 01:10 AM
[tscii:0c70dbcb05]http://www.punny.org/money/five-incredibly-stupid-ways-people-are-trying-to-save-money-on-gas

1. Riding on empty. (trying to get a gallon of gas from AAA)
2. Refilling more frequently. (to save on ever-raising prices)
3. Stealing it.
4. Buying merchandise that comes with “free” gas cards. (Adding clutter while also spending more)
5. Replacing a $40,000 gas-guzzling SUV with a $40,000 sedan. (Getting into new loans)

:D
[/tscii:0c70dbcb05]

app_engine
30th October 2008, 11:45 PM
Gas prices that were >$4.3 during parts of last quarter are now <$2.3 (i.e. in Michigan, could be lower in places like OH).

And Exxon posting the biggest ever profit per quarter for a corp in history.
http://blogs.moneycentral.msn.com/topstocks/archive/2008/10/30/exxon-breaks-u-s-profit-record.aspx

And Indian govt telling we'll watch the crude prices for 4 more weeks before considering price reduction (they raised when crude was $147 a barrell and now it's around $64 and had been less than half of the peak price for more than a month already).

What's happening?

app_engine
11th November 2008, 10:09 PM
http://www.hindustantimes.com/StoryPage/StoryPage.aspx?sectionName=HomePage&id=24b069fe-8a6f-4663-89b8-83a4850ee473&&Headline=No+fuel+price+cut+till+oil+firms+stabilis e%3a+PM

This is funny - when firms in the west can make record profits with gas, why should the firms in India stuggle (with typically much higher prices to end customers) ? Also the PM telling that price reduction is possible only when companies like IOCL is profitable is nothing but a joke - considering that he is a big promoter of "market economy".

This is like - when crude prices goes up from $60 to $140, we have no other way but to RAISE the price. But when it comes back to $60, we have no other way but to KEEP the price. இன்னா லாஜிக்'பா இது? :-)

app_engine
11th November 2008, 10:16 PM
BTW, I filled up gas this morning at $1.99 a gallon. Only a few months back, I had to shell out >$40 each week and now it's $20:-)

I don't mind if Exxon-Mobil makes phenomenal profits, they deserve it! As for as IOCL and such firms, why do they need subsidy when they sell end consumer at such high prices? (both Exxon and IOCL buy crude at $60 na?) Who blows up the money at IOCL and the likes? (I'm pretty sure there's no subsidising of gas prices by U.S. Govt)

app_engine
12th November 2008, 01:08 AM
http://dinamalar.com/fpnnews.asp?News_id=2252&cls=row4

As told by PM, IOCL gets a profit of only 4.12 per litre of petrol. Current prices in Delhi for petrol is here :

http://www.delhipetrolprices.com/index.php

Around Rs 45.5 per litre, or per gallon (3.785 litres) is Rs 172.21

So, a gas station in India sells a gallon for U$ 3.58 (assumed conversion rate 48) compared to US$ 2 in Michigan.

We can safely assume that they make profit in U.S. (read a few posts above on the record profits of exxon mobil)

So, even if we assume that the "operational costs" are same as in U.S. (they should be much lower, logically) still for what IOCL sells in India it should be making at least $1.58 per gallon, or Rs 20 more per litre than their U.S. counterparts.

So, why only 4.12 profit? Who eats all the money? Why PM cries for subsidy of kerosene - with the kind of money they should be making with petrol, they can possibly subsidise kerosene to zero price:-)

asan
18th November 2008, 12:51 AM
Excellent topic as energy security is being discussed various parts of the world.we are undertaking a resarch on Bio petrol from wastes so in near future it would be commercilaised as far as cooking gas is concerned you may opt for bio gas production bu methanatropic bacteria from wastes which is already in operation.

app_engine
19th November 2008, 01:10 AM
http://dinamalar.com/fpnnews.asp?News_id=2304&cls=row4

"கார் விலையைக்குறைங்க" (தொழில் நிறுவனங்களிடம் நிதி அமைச்சர் சொன்னது)

சொல்லாமல் விட்டது:

'ஆனா, நாங்க பெட்ரோல் விலை குறைக்க மாட்டோம், ஏன்னா நீங்க கொள்ளை லாபம் சம்பாதிக்கிறீங்க, ஐயோ பாவம் ஆயில் கம்பெனிங்க நொடிச்சுப்போயிருக்கு'

app_engine
19th November 2008, 01:15 AM
It's pretty interesting and a stark contrast between U.S. and India.

In U.S., oil companies are sitting pretty while big 3 auto begs Govt. for bailout. (Though companies like Toyota / Honda are ok, their sales have taken a big hit and they need help from home countries to survive). And in the case of big3, big oil prices was one of the main reasons for their troubles for the last few years as they try to reallign their product line to the sudden change of customer preference that shifted from gas guzzlers.

OTOH, Indian govt. is asking auto mfrs to bailout oil-inflicted pain on public:-)

app_engine
28th February 2009, 01:58 AM
Hummer to go!

http://blogs.moneycentral.msn.com/topstocks/archive/2009/02/26/gm-ready-to-pull-plug-on-hummer.aspx

Great news!

Whenever I see this madness with just one person aboard, an unquantifiable irritation runs through me. Good riddance of this ugly gas guzzler!

app_engine
3rd July 2009, 04:41 AM
http://news.in.msn.com/national/article.aspx?cp-documentid=3068620&page=1

India hikes prices of petrol / diesel steeply :-(

The inefficiently run oil companies should be first told to restructure, rather than hiking prices indiscriminately :-( Also the gov should cut down wastes as major portion of the cost public pay for gas goes to taxes! Simply remove all the "security" for petty politicians and the tax burden should go down like anything!

Though they're talking about raising prices because they last reduced when oil was in $30's, they conveniently hid the fact that it wasn't reduced proportionate to the hike when oil was $140 and now it's only in 60's or max $70 :-(

suba
9th September 2009, 12:12 AM
:)

switch off vehicles on the traffic signals. almost every signals shows red for 60secs ie., one minute atleast. imagine minimum of 20 vehicles switched off for one minute that wait for green signal. twenty minutes fuel consumption is saved in one signal at one point.

app_engine
9th September 2009, 12:19 AM

switch off vehicles on the traffic signals. almost every signals shows red for 60secs ie., one minute atleast. imagine minimum of 20 vehicles switched off for one minute that wait for green signal. twenty minutes fuel consumption is saved in one signal at one point.

Instead use hybrid (which automatically switches off gas power in slow speeds / idling). That way, no "starting" business which could burn more fuel / pollute and also could pose a safety hazard !

app_engine
25th June 2010, 11:04 PM
petrol price hike (http://news.in.msn.com/business/article.aspx?cp-documentid=4071182&page=3)

Chennai:
Petrol -- Rs 55.63 against Rs 52.13
Diesel -- Rs 40.05 against Rs 38.05

Diesel is currently around $3 a gallon & Petrol $2.75 a gallon in Detroit.

No one can ever understand how the Indian oil companies are making such huge losses and keep crying about it, since they too buy at the same market price per peeppAi as the americans.

omega
27th June 2010, 02:53 AM
petrol price hike (http://news.in.msn.com/business/article.aspx?cp-documentid=4071182&page=3)

Chennai:

No one can ever understand how the Indian oil companies are making such huge losses and keep crying about it, since they too buy at the same market price per peeppAi as the americans.

Diesel is subsidised by Govt. of India, who takes the hit....

app_engine
27th June 2010, 06:35 AM
omega,

If you read the various news reports on the hike, they talk about some 75000 cr per annum loss to oil companies in India and this hike only offsetting some 5000 cr or so out of that.

Does it mean IOCL / BPCL are almost bankrupt companies running by gov?

Either way, when shell and such companies can make huge profits selling petrol at 60% of the customer price in India, why should petrol companies in India make loss, and increase the prices and keep crying for ever?

PARAMASHIVAN
28th June 2010, 03:02 PM
1) Drive in High gear, eg If you are driving at 30mph and if you put the gear in 5th gear, the rev meter will be between 1 and 2 reducing petrol injection into the Engine.

2) When you are going down the hill, put the gear in neutral

3) Avoid Automatic Transmission Cars

4) As most cars use injectors, you can buy inject cleaners from 'Petrol stations' to clean the injectors to increase fuel economy. Simply pour the liquid into the tank, before you fill it up with fuel

5) Regular services, such as Oil change, air filter change, Oil filter change can also improve Fuel economy!

Sarna
28th June 2010, 03:09 PM

are u sure :? car neutral'la irukkumbOdhu braking(especially sudden braking if some hurdle comes in mid) kashtam'nu kElvipattEn :roll:

PARAMASHIVAN
28th June 2010, 04:19 PM

are u sure :? car neutral'la irukkumbOdhu braking(especially sudden braking if some hurdle comes in mid) kashtam'nu kElvipattEn :roll:

No Never, your ignition is still on, which means the ngine is still running so sudden brake wont do anything, I tried this at 90mph, and it worked fine, :P

NOV
28th June 2010, 05:51 PM
2) When you are going down the hill, put the gear in neutral DON'T DO THAT!

1. Its illegal in most places.

2. You can lose control of your car.

3. Constant braking may heat up your brakes and it may fail causing fatal damage.

4. You can lose precious seconds in an emergency.

So, what do you do? Shift to a lower gear and drive with care. When you don't press the accelarator, you are not burning the fuel.

Anyway, your life is more important that all the savings in the world.

PARAMASHIVAN
28th June 2010, 06:51 PM
2) When you are going down the hill, put the gear in neutral DON'T DO THAT!

1. Its illegal in most places.

2. You can lose control of your car.

3. Constant braking may heat up your brakes and it may fail causing fatal damage.

4. You can lose precious seconds in an emergency.

So, what do you do? Shift to a lower gear and drive with care. When you don't press the accelarator, you are not burning the fuel.

Anyway, your life is more important that all the savings in the world.

Nov

How? :huh: you ignition is still on and if you do sudden break with Clutch and brake, you wail not stall the car right ? :roll:

NOV
28th June 2010, 06:54 PM
You shouldn't use neutral when driving. With your engine disengaged from the rest of the drivetrain, you are lacking a major control of your car's speed, relying on the brakes alone.

The risks you are taking are either damaging your brakes, or damaging your engine and/or transmission because the car may be going too fast or too slow when you re-engage a drive gear.

Your engine does burn slightly less fuel when the transmission is in neutral, but the savings is negligible, are not worth the potential danger you could be putting your car (or yourself) in.

http://in.answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20070302172201AAiBG48

PARAMASHIVAN
28th June 2010, 07:01 PM
Oh OK :roll:

app_engine
28th June 2010, 07:06 PM
NOV is right about AUTO transmission vehicles, a neurtal while riding is a strict no-no as loss of control / significant delay in speed-reduction while braking could result.

And you won't save much fuel either. Coast simply by taking your leg off the accelerator. Good enough to save some but keep the transmission engaged to have good control.

On manual transmission too, it's not advisable to get into neutral while in motion (could be dangerous on occasions, exactly like the down-hill thingy being discussed due to more braking time / less control etc). Still, since "clutching" also does a similar thing as neutral, some experienced drivers may be able to handle "neutral" situations a little better, though strictly not advisable (try applying brake while disengaging "clutch" and see how much more time it takes to come to a halt - drifting etc, which is the same as neutral).

PARAMASHIVAN
28th June 2010, 07:12 PM
NOV is right about AUTO transmission vehicles, a neurtal while riding is a strict no-no as loss of control / significant delay in speed-reduction while braking could result.

app

Where is the clutch in AUTO transmission cars? :lol2: I was talking about Mannualtransmission cars :P

I know it is Dangerous in AUTO transmission cars, cos I have owned both AUTO transmission car and mannual transmission car :)

app_engine
28th June 2010, 07:44 PM
Param,
Where did I speak about clutch when talking about 'AUTO' transmission cars?

I mentioned clutch only in the "manual" section - hope that clarifies. (I too have driven extensively both animals, though not many of the high-speed sporty ones that you're familiar with :-) )

PARAMASHIVAN
28th June 2010, 07:59 PM
I too have driven extensively both animals, though not many of the high-speed sporty ones that you're familiar with :-) )

Yes, App annEh my Honda prelude 2.2 DOCH VTECH is indeed a Wolf in sheep clothing , seriously addictive once you touch the accelerator, and the Engine noise is highly addictive, see here

This is My Honda the beast :redjump:

http://www.google.co.uk/imgres?imgurl=http://px6.streetfire.net/0001/63/02/1383620_600.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.streetfire.net/rides/1996-HONDA-PRELUDE-VTEC_1026569.htm&usg=__vx3wkNE6Mti1Wvo-MdgD2CfKnSs=&h=405&w=600&sz=44&hl=en&start=14&itbs=1&tbnid=BdGjJtVbEiFgjM:&tbnh=91&tbnw=135&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dhonda%2Bprelude%2B2.2%2BVtec%26hl%3De n%26sa%3DN%26gbv%3D2%26ndsp%3D18%26tbs%3Disch:1

ksen
29th June 2010, 12:02 AM

Chennai:

It is not that simple - Govt. is supposed to bear the subsidy burden, but they only issue bonds, redeemable only six or seven years later, to the oil companies. To tide over the cash crunch, the companies have been redeeming the bonds with banks at discounted rates, losing out both ways.

Oil companies normally make spot purchases of crude at market rates, or sometimes make contracted purchases at a negotiated rate for a certain period, to avoid sudden price increase. Due to some vested political interests, the companies were forced to go in for longer contracts, when the crude prices were at the peak (was it year before last?). So the companies continued to buy at the peak rates long after the prices crashed. Also, private players like Reliance just closed their outlets and stopped selling at that time, whereas PSU companies were forced to sell at the existing domestic rates. Actually, the cash rich oil companies were stripped off their surplus, which would have cushioned them in these situations, when the govt. transferred the Oil pool account surplus to the general account to cover the deficit, some time in the mid 90s.

PARAMASHIVAN
2nd July 2010, 03:39 PM
another tip is to put your hand brake on and turn the ignition off when waiting in 'prolonged' traffic!

app_engine
12th July 2010, 10:16 PM
Look at this news report :
http://thatstamil.oneindia.in/news/2010/07/12/montek-singh-aluwalia-urges-stop-subsidy-oil.html

Here planning commission says that IOCL has made > 10000 crore profit.

Only a few weeks back, gasoline prices were raised, stating that these companies are dying - even subsidies don't meet the shortfall etc.

So, who really is losing money?

THE PUBLIC!

vramesh
19th July 2010, 11:30 PM
Who won't smile with the trip meter showing 395 miles (I reset it each time when pumping gas) and the tank got filled at 9.9 gallons! Hurray! Almost 40mpg! Fantastic performance this time for the civic!

app_engine,
3 cheers for the civic! I drive a 212K civic that gives 46.5 mpg on the freeway(tested multiple times on Chevron. I must add I stick to 55mph and no A/C). It does puzzle me that on city roads I get roughly ~27mpg which is a good 20miles less.

Might be due to non-Chevron brand of gas?

app_engine
20th July 2010, 07:42 PM
vramesh,

That's an interesting claim. We don't have chevron stations here in the metro Detroit are and hence I can't verify for mine :-)

Enjoy if you get great mileage!

An interesting news report w.r.t. comparison of energy consumption between US & China here :
http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20100720/bs_afp/chinaeconomyenergy_20100720065800

app_engine
11th February 2011, 02:41 AM
Huge profit by IOCL once again (http://dinamani.com/edition/story.aspx?&SectionName=Business&artid=374570&SectionID=143&MainSectionID=143&SEO=&Title=)

And in a couple of weeks, gov will allow gas price increase because "oil companies are bleeding" :lol:

இந்தியன் ஆயில் கார்ப்பரேஷன் (ஐஓசி) நிறுவனத்தின் மூன்றாம் காலாண்டு லாபம் இரண்டு மடங்கு உயர்ந்துள்ளது. டிசம்பர் மாதத்துடன் முடிவடைந்த மூன்றாம் காலாண்டில் நிறுவனத்தின் லாபம் ரூ. 1,634.76 கோடியாக உயர்ந்துள்ளது. நிறுவனத்தின் லாபம் அதிகரித்ததற்கு, அரசு மானியத் தொகை அளித்ததும் ஒரு காரணமாகும்.

நிறுவனத்தின் லாபம் 134.7 சதவீதம் உயர்ந்துள்ளது. முந்தைய ஆண்டு இதே காலத்தில் லாபம் ரூ. 696.59 கோடியாக இருந்ததாக ஐஓசி தலைவர் எஸ்.வி. நரசிம்மன் தெரிவித்தார்.

Steal public and pay fat pay checks / benefits / bonusses in public sector, what a strategy by gov! All the while crying that oil companies are bleeding, raising price only to compensate for "portion of losses" etc.

Outright lies!