PDA

View Full Version : Omni Bus Atrocities.....

vigneshram
8th May 2008, 07:27 AM
If you are from Chennai, you would have experienced the traffic clogging which can be attributed to the Omnibuses carrying IT staffs...
Check out my musings

http://vigneshram.blogspot.com/2008/05/omni-bus.html

sarna_blr
8th May 2008, 09:44 AM

கட்டிட வேலை செய்து கல் சுமந்து கைரேகை தேய்ந்த கூட்டம்
கட்டண உயர்வால் கால்நடையாய் செல்ல
கணிணி வெறித்து, காலணா பெறாத மின்னஞ்சல் பரப்பி
காஃபிடேரியாவில் கடலை வறுத்து, கழுத்தில் கம்பெனி கயிறோடு
கண்ணயர்ந்து ஆம்னி பஸ் அம்பாரி மேலமர்ந்து சாலை பிதுக்குகிறார்கள்
கடவுளே காப்பாற்று சென்னையை!

:rotfl2: :rotfl2:

great thoughts.... keep it up... :clap:

littlemaster1982
8th May 2008, 09:50 AM
Ellatthukkum IT makkalai kurai solradhudhaan ippo trend pola irukku :sigh2:

sarna_blr
8th May 2008, 09:52 AM
Ellatthukkum IT makkalai kurai solradhudhaan ippo trend pola irukku :sigh2:

:lol: IT'na IlayaThalapathy illeengO...

Inpormotion toknology.... :lol2:

MADDY
8th May 2008, 11:27 AM
If you are from Chennai, you would have experienced the traffic clogging which can be attributed to the Omnibuses carrying IT staffs...
Check out my musings

oh wow, which means we didnt have traffic jams 10 yrs back...... :roll: ......ridiculous, just like LM put it.............LM, do u know, some ppl. are attributing reason for tsunami to IT people...... :lol:

btw, i never knew ashok leyland, ANZ banks are IT companies.....they too carry omni buses for thier employees..........

littlemaster1982
8th May 2008, 11:35 AM
LM, do u know, some ppl. are attributing reason for tsunami to IT people...... :lol:

Idhu enna pudhu kadhai :twisted:

joe
8th May 2008, 12:14 PM
LM, do u know, some ppl. are attributing reason for tsunami to IT people...... :lol:

Idhu enna pudhu kadhai :twisted:

Vera oru kathai solluRen kettungunga..

IT people salary-a paarthu mathavanga vidura Pugai athigamaayi thaan Oson padalathula ottai vizhunthathaam.

NM
8th May 2008, 12:19 PM
Vera oru kathai solluRen kettungunga..

IT people salary-a paarthu mathavanga vidura Pugai athigamaayi thaan Oson padalathula ottai vizhunthathaam.joe : :rotfl2:

littlemaster1982
8th May 2008, 12:19 PM
Joe,

Idhula irukkara ulkutthu sariya puriyala :P By any chance, is that a counter to Maddy's post?

joe
8th May 2008, 12:23 PM
Joe,

Idhula irukkara ulkutthu sariya puriyala :P By any chance, is that a counter to Maddy's post?

:( Yenpa en post-lam ungaLukku Ulkutha-ve thoNuthu ..My post was to support Maddy's aathangam.

littlemaster1982
8th May 2008, 12:30 PM
Joe,

:( Yenpa en post-lam ungaLukku Ulkutha-ve thoNuthu ..My post was to support Maddy's aathangam.

:oops: Opposite side-kkaga pesara maadhiri irundhudhu. Adhanaala-dhan puriyalai-nnu sonnen. No offence meant.

Sanjeevi
8th May 2008, 02:05 PM
Joe,

:oops: Opposite side-kkaga pesara maadhiri irundhudhu. Adhanaala-dhan puriyalai-nnu sonnen. No offence meant.

Idhukuthan overa think panna koodathungurathu :lol2:

littlemaster1982
8th May 2008, 02:37 PM
Appadindreenga? Appa sari :)

vigneshram
8th May 2008, 04:36 PM
Check out my musings

oh wow, which means we didnt have traffic jams 10 yrs back...... :roll: ......ridiculous, just like LM put it.............LM, do u know, some ppl. are attributing reason for tsunami to IT people...... :lol:

btw, i never knew ashok leyland, ANZ banks are IT companies.....they too carry omni buses for thier employees..........

Maddy Anna...

Of course we had traffic jam ten years back. But the reason for shifting the Omni bus stand to Koyambedu was to minimise the traffic in arterial roads of chennai.

But again, these omni buses have started sneaking into even narrower streets these days since they have got a new role of carrying staffs.

DO YOU AGREE WITH THIS?

vigneshram
8th May 2008, 04:37 PM
Chartered Trip with a TNSTC bus would accomodate more staff. Won't it?

dev
8th May 2008, 05:18 PM
Hmmm...I would think rapid increase in 4 wheelers(pvt cars) & slow infrastructure growth are the main cause of traffic jams... Omni buses are ok coz had it not been there, most of those travelling by the staff buses would be on a 2 or 4 wheeler...

littlemaster1982
8th May 2008, 05:27 PM
Hmmm...I would think rapid increase in 4 wheelers(pvt cars) & slow infrastructure growth are the main cause of traffic jams... Omni buses are ok coz had it not been there, most of those travelling by the staff buses would be on a 2 or 4 wheeler...

:exactly:

selvakumar
8th May 2008, 07:27 PM
<dig>
In a way, I agree slightly with this 'anti-IT' things. Quite often, I commute to office through private/public transportation. After reaching here, we need to reach office through share autos. Just wih 3 to 4 techies, the auto wals can earn upto Rs.40 to 50 for just 1.5 to 2kms. At these times, if any typical labourer or similar people ask the autos to come for places that are just 2 to 3 kms in the other direction, the auto guys simply ignore them. IMO, these things might blow up once day.
</dig>

Anoushka
8th May 2008, 07:29 PM
Seri Omni bus illaina vEra enna vazhi? cars? two wheelers? Doesn't this in a way reduce traffic jams? Imagine that many cars and two wheelers replacing each omni bus..... We have to be thinking in terms of car pooling and buses to reduce the traffic on raods!

selvakumar
8th May 2008, 07:30 PM
& reg Traffic and increase in the cost of living, I think Chennai is trying to replicate Bangalore now. :hammer:
Wish govt puts an end to the greedy house owners. I heard non-IT families are finding it tough to get a house in chennai due to huge rent and owners are not preferring them as well.

Itha vida kodumai ennana, Ponnu paarkum pothu ponnu veetukaaranga ellam IT guys ah prefer pannurathaala, matha pasanga kaduppula alaiyuraanga. I have seen this happening :?

selvakumar
8th May 2008, 07:33 PM
Seri Omni bus illaina vEra enna vazhi? cars? two wheelers? Doesn't this in a way reduce traffic jams? Imagine that many cars and two wheelers replacing each omni bus..... We have to be thinking in terms of car pooling and buses to reduce the traffic on raods!
I don't think so. One of the reasons for the worst traffic in bangalore is the increase in cars and other similar vehicles. An omni bus can easily shift aruond 50 employees from one place to other. Imagine atleast 20 to 30% of them commuting by car. It will affect traffic to unbelievable levels.

Shakthiprabha.
8th May 2008, 07:41 PM
<dig>
In a way, I agree slightly with this 'anti-IT' things. Quite often, I commute to office through private/public transportation. After reaching here, we need to reach office through share autos. Just wih 3 to 4 techies, the auto wals can earn upto Rs.40 to 50 for just 1.5 to 2kms. At these times, if any typical labourer or similar people ask the autos to come for places that are just 2 to 3 kms in the other direction, the auto guys simply ignore them. IMO, these things might blow up once day.
</dig>

BINGO!

app_engine
8th May 2008, 09:26 PM
Mass transportation is always better, especially for big cities - whether it is train, bus, company bus (referred to as omni bus here I suppose)! I know many people who use public tranportation (train) in NYC for commuting, despite the fact that they own expensive vehicles. The heavy traffic, difficulty in parking and availability of public transporation have to be credited for this. (And they also get a chance to walk a lot when in downtown, which is another healthy habit)

What Chennai (or Bangalore) needs is more robust train network, and may be metro. In the interim, as many buses as possible should take people around and use of personal vehicles for work commute should be discouraged wherever possible. They should also switch to CNG like Delhi:-)

wrap07
8th May 2008, 09:53 PM
yes. There has been big increase in two wheelers and four wheelers which is the main reason for this traffic congestion.
The present infrastructure is struggling to cope up with the heavy flow of vehicles and the time spent on signals is more than the actual travelling time.
still, the buses and local trains are always crowded also.

vigneshram
8th May 2008, 10:14 PM
Mass transportation is always better, especially for big cities - whether it is train, bus, company bus (referred to as omni bus here I suppose)!

Well... Mass transportation is always the best, in terms of bringing down the congestion.
My worry is about bringing the Omni buses back in the city's roads, when they accomodate fewer people than a tempo traveller. Omni buses are specially made for longer journeys, and have more storage areas and spaced out seating arrangements. In chennai, each IT company owns or has contract with hundreds of Omni buses, which could very well be reduced by 60 to 70% if a Tempo or normal buses are used.

Maneuvering around with an Omni bus is very difficult in narrow roads and before an Omni bus takes a U turn, the whole road gets clogged.

Some companies tie up with TNSTC buses and arrange chartered trips for their employees, which is commendable.

app_engine
8th May 2008, 11:04 PM
vignesh ram, sorry I probably didn't understand what the current "omni bus" is in Chennai:-) If it can take less than tempo traveller, sounds like a "van":-( If some companies have limited number of staff to be commuted, this option is still better than individuals driving - but if the vehicle is too big (looking like a bus), it'll defeat the purpose.

My picture of omnibus is the 'luxury coach' that runs from Trichy to Chennai:-) I think that could carry 40+ passengers...

Lambretta
8th May 2008, 11:30 PM
Itha vida kodumai ennana, Ponnu paarkum pothu ponnu veetukaaranga ellam IT guys ah prefer pannurathaala, matha pasanga kaduppula alaiyuraanga. I have seen this happening :?
:exactly: :evil: :( Yeah I see it too macha! :sigh2: :banghead:

Chah! And ppl. tell me I'm biased bcos I want a gal who..u know......shares certain likes I have! :roll: :x

Lambretta
8th May 2008, 11:53 PM
vignesh ram, sorry I probably didn't understand what the current "omni bus" is in Chennai:-) If it can take less than tempo traveller, sounds like a "van":-( If some companies have limited number of staff to be commuted, this option is still better than individuals driving - but if the vehicle is too big (looking like a bus), it'll defeat the purpose.

My picture of omnibus is the 'luxury coach' that runs from Trichy to Chennai:-) I think that could carry 40+ passengers...
I think an omni bus would look somewhat like this (I mean in SIZE:)

http://img227.imageshack.us/my.php?image=01xt7.jpg

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/iipcache/106796.jpg

Or maybe around this big only:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/iipcache/106893.jpg

http://img145.imageshack.us/my.php?image=temposu4.jpg

vigneshram
9th May 2008, 07:20 AM

Yes. The luxury coaches that run from Chennai to South cities are the same. But the new versions are slightly bigger than the ones we had 10 years back. Their height is also increased to accomodate luggages and slightly longer too.

app_engine
9th May 2008, 06:20 PM
Yes. The luxury coaches that run from Chennai to South cities are the same. But the new versions are slightly bigger than the ones we had 10 years back. Their height is also increased to accomodate luggages and slightly longer too.

And still they can only have less passengers than tempo traveller? engEyO udhaikkudhE? :confused2:

joe
9th May 2008, 11:07 PM
மென்பொருள் வல்லுனர்களின் ஊதியமும், போலியான சமூக வாதிகளும் !

http://govikannan.blogspot.com/2008/05/blog-post_2549.html

Roshan
9th May 2008, 11:27 PM
மென்பொருள் வல்லுனர்களுக்கும், மற்ற பொறியாளர்கள், அல்லது கலைக்கல்வி பயின்றவர்களுக்கும் உள்ள ஊதிய வேறுபாடு மலைக்கும் மடுவுக்கும் இருப்பது போல் இருப்பதால் தான் மென்பொருள் வல்லுனர்களின் ஊதியம் பயமுறுத்துகிறது. இந்தியாவில் தான் இத்தகைய நிலமை. மற்ற வெளிநாடுகளில் கணக்கு வழக்கு (அக்வண்ட்) மற்றும் பிற துறைகளில் வேலை செய்பவர்கள், வேறு பொறியாளர்கள் ஆகியோருக்கும் மென்பொருள் வல்லுனர்களுக்கும் ஊதிய அளவில் பெரிய வேறுபாடு இல்லாததால் வெளிநாடுகளில் இத்தகைய பெருமூச்சுகள் ஏற்படுவதே இல்லை.

en kELvikku bathil kidaithuvittathu. I have been wondering why only in India, this has become an issue.

intha article'la solli irukkuRa maathiri - oru kaalathula arasAnga uthiyOgam, appuRam doctor, ippO men poruL... In a few years time some other profession will replace IT.

P_R
10th May 2008, 12:39 AM
திறமையானவர்களாலேயே அந்த வேலையை சிறப்பாக செய்யமுடியும் என்ற அடிப்படை காரணம் இருப்பதால் அந்த வேலையை செய்யும் வல்லுனர்கள் கேட்கும் ஊதியத்தை வேலை முடியவேண்டுமென்றால் கொடுத்தே ஆகவேண்டும். :lol:

Summa review-time la comedy paNNikkittu... :-) :mad:

விலைவாசி உயர்வை சரியாக எதிர்கொள்ள வேண்டுமென்றால் எல்லா நிறுவனங்களும் லாபத்தைக் குறைத்துக் கொண்டு மற்றவர்களின் ஊதியத்தையும் உயர்த்த முன்வரவேண்டும். :-)

rajraj
10th May 2008, 12:59 AM
en kELvikku bathil kidaithuvittathu. I have been wondering why only in India, this has become an issue.

Roshan: Here are some facts you and the blogger should consider:

The whole of the US produces about 70000 engineering graduates a year compared to the capacity of more than 75000 in Tamilnadu alone. That is one of the reasons the multinationals flock to India.

Even if they pay a new engineering graduate (software or othe disciplines) Rs 50k a month it comes to US $15K a year. Compare this to about US $ 60K they have to pay for American graduates. For the multinationals it is cheap labor. For India it is inflated salary.

Most of the jobs in the IT sector can be done with people from other disciplines with proper training or even above average high school graduates. In fact, in the fifties and sixties IBM used to hire people with degrees in history, psychology, literature etc , screen them with an aptitude test and train them to be programmers and software developers. If they did that with science graduates in India the salaries will come down.

There is a lot more wrong with what is going on in India! :(

Lambretta
10th May 2008, 01:10 AM

And still they can only have less passengers than tempo traveller? engEyO udhaikkudhE? :confused2:
Maybe you could check out the images I posted for cross-reference?? :? :huh:

Roshan
10th May 2008, 01:40 AM

Roshan: Here are some facts you and the blogger should consider:

The whole of the US produces about 70000 engineering graduates a year compared to the capacity of more than 75000 in Tamilnadu alone. That is one of the reasons the multinationals flock to India.

Even if they pay a new engineering graduate (software or othe disciplines) Rs 50k a month it comes to US $15K a year. Compare this to about US $ 60K they have to pay for American graduates. For the multinationals it is cheap labor. For India it is inflated salary.

Most of the jobs in the IT sector can be done with people from other disciplines with proper training or even above average high school graduates. In fact, in the fifties and sixties IBM used to hire people with degrees in history, psychology, literature etc , screen them with an aptitude test and train them to be programmers and software developers. If they did that with science graduates in India the salaries will come down.

There is a lot more wrong with what is going on in India! :(

Thanks rajraj :) I am aware of the fact that has been mentioned there in bold letters. It's the same case here in Sri Lanka. Initially electrical, electronic, mechanical engineersthAn IT sect'la shine paNNa mudiyumnu sonnAnga, but nowadays we see people even with 12th standard reaching higher posts in IT sector here :P :oops:

PS: Sorry for not getting back to you on your pms. Office'la orE tension, hence was feeling a bit disoriented. Will respond soon :)

Roshan
10th May 2008, 01:41 AM
திறமையானவர்களாலேயே அந்த வேலையை சிறப்பாக செய்யமுடியும் என்ற அடிப்படை காரணம் இருப்பதால் அந்த வேலையை செய்யும் வல்லுனர்கள் கேட்கும் ஊதியத்தை வேலை முடியவேண்டுமென்றால் கொடுத்தே ஆகவேண்டும். :lol:

:rotfl:

Anoushka
10th May 2008, 08:28 PM

:rotfl: :lol: