PDA

View Full Version : Earth

anbu_kathir
12th May 2008, 07:24 PM
Vanakkam/Namaste

My name is Prasad, and I am a Masters student in IISc India. This thread is about our planet, our only home, (atleast as of now), what has/is being done to it by us, our current environmental/social value systems and what we can/should do to change whatever has to be changed.

Having found no active thread relating to these issues, which are perhaps the most important ones facing humanity as a whole right now, I have started one. Please throw in your views and suggestions, practically of use now and those that you envisage for our future. I know we are all busy doing things for a living, but I wish everyone does take notice of what is happening around us, and that we could potentially lose forever some things that we have always taken for granted.

I begin with a youtube video. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TQmz6Rbpnu0

These links are about the speaker in the youtube video, and about her life/work.

http://www.time.com/time/2002/greencentury/engeneration.html
http://www.slothclub.org/pages/activity/japan/sevtour/sevindex.htm

Love and Light.

Anoushka
12th May 2008, 08:30 PM
refuse, reduce, reuse, recycle

Refuse to buy/get anything just for the sake of getting it! refuse extra packaging in the shops, refuse gifts that you get for birthdays and anniversaries... (instead you can ask people to donate to a charity of your choice), refuse to print material that is not needed, the list is endless!

Reduce using unnecessary resources where ever possible. Try and walk to the shop instead of driving, use CFL's where possible (it is not practical to sit in the dark and not use electricity, instead reduce its use), etc

Reuse whatever you possibly can. I depend on a lot of hand me down stuff for my son instead of buying new stuff. Clothes, moses basket, pram, etc. If you can reuse anything, then do it!

Recycle - I am not sure if this is done big time in India but where possible recycle stuff. Atleast use organic waste and compost it, this should be possible anywhere in the world!

wrap07
12th May 2008, 08:42 PM
Hats off to you for bringing up this topic :clap:

A Brilliant and moving speech by the girl.
:notworthy:

As told in a most scathing manner by her, it is true that if people become sensible and sensitive to these issues, world would be a better place to live in.

wrap07
12th May 2008, 09:01 PM
Waste disposal is one of the major issues which is not being attended to at present. It is being dumped wherever empty places are around and it is a major hazard. A mechanism to get over this will be a great boon to the enviornment.

Anoushka
12th May 2008, 09:09 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Waste-to-energy

wrap07
12th May 2008, 09:52 PM
Thanks for your link. It is very enlightening.

anbu_kathir
12th May 2008, 10:14 PM
Thanks for the replies.

Living amidst the wannabe-scientists and the engineering cream of India, I find it extremely distasteful how recklessly most of us (sadly, the faculty too) here handle water, electricity and paper. The importance of these are realised only when we do not have them, for an hour or for a day. Then its all back to the same old story. 'Education', well, definitely seems to be a misnomer in this sense.

Coming to the issue of waste, I have heard the efficiency of recycling is highest when done locally. Probably every apartment/house needs to have some kind of a solid waste management system that enables efficient recycling of recyclable solid waste and disposal of the other stuff. No idea about the costs involved in this, but where there is a will there will always be a way.

But every issue singularly seems to be just the tips of the iceberg. We must look for a global perspective and priority shift and transformation, starting from every one of us. Until then we will be handling just the symptoms and not the problems themselves.

Doing work and having fun is perfectly fine, but there should be something that is meaningful work and meaningful fun, something that enhances the quality of life in the world as a whole and not something that ignores/worsens it.

Here's another report from the BBC.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/programmes/from_our_own_correspondent/7366899.stm

Love and Light.

thriinone
12th May 2008, 10:58 PM
How much is possible to be practically put in practice?

anbu_kathir
12th May 2008, 11:19 PM
I actually find it no longer practical to not notice these issues. Any human being of age lesser than or equal to 20 is going to face the culmination of all irresponsible human actions foisted upon earth till now. Tackling that with wisdom and responsibility seems very practical to me.

Love and Light.

Devar Magan
13th May 2008, 03:05 AM
great job prasad, the Al Gore of the Hub...

we need to improve ourselves as an individual who cares abt the earth.. we have to follow simple steps like saving power, using lesser tissue paper and most importantly spreading this message to children ..

Anoushka
13th May 2008, 03:29 AM

To answer your question

I live in Ireland.... (some of it may not be applicable in India)

I have only CFLs in my house.
All my electrical appliances are A rated.
I compost all my organic waste at home
I use a recycle bin for paper.
I take any recyclable material to the recycling centre atleast once a month (includes plastics, metal, wood, paper, cardboard, etc)
I try and walk to any place that is within half an hour's walking distance (upto 3km) when ever possible.
Though most of my friends have suggested that I buy a second car, I still have stuck to only one car which we use as a family car.
My husband takes the train to work.
I buy only gift vouchers as gifts for others so they can buy what they need instead of me buying something that they will not use.
Most of the stuff that I use for my son is hand-me-downs. The moses-basket, pram, travel-cot, and a whole pile of other things!
I try not to buy new clothes specifically for Diwali, pongal, birthdays, etc!
Instead of buying flowers for people, I buy plants for them.
I try and grow my own vegetables.
I do not buy stuff just because they are on a sale!

This is just a sample, now tell me if it is easy and practiable to practise simple things to make life better for the next generation :)

dev
13th May 2008, 07:56 AM
Anou, :thumbsup:

Few more things that r easy to follow...

Use rechargeable batteries instead of the use & throw ones...

Always keep a 'green bag' handy whenever you go out... these days we get bags that can be folded into a tiny ball... so carrying them shouldn't be a problem...

utility companies & few others give an option to either receive paper bills or e-bills... opt for the later...

Do not use harsh chemicals for simple house cleaning... Instead Scotch brite & few others have a special cleaning towel which can clean moderately tough dirt without the use of any chemical cleaners...

use solar lamps instead of the normal emergency lamps... I have seen ppl charging the emergenecy lamps & burning it just coz they want to maintain the battery in good condition...

pavalamani pragasam
13th May 2008, 08:42 AM
:sigh2: :sigh2: :sigh2:

Technology spewing out more & more comforts wrapped in dangerous, undisposable 'garbage'!!!

Shallow minds, narrow hearts, selfish life, short-sighted goals...

AWARENESS! The need of the hour!

Lambretta
13th May 2008, 09:17 AM
Also better to use bio-degradable home care products rather than the ones commonly available.

app_engine
13th May 2008, 07:22 PM
Anoushka,
Excellent! You're a nice model to follow!!

As this has to involve more than a few individuals, it helps to be a bit "loud" about what one is doing:-) Without being bombastic or preachy, it'll still have to be made known to others what steps one has taken, in an encouraging way. That'll create more people to support the initiatives.

I'm reminded of my visits to grocery shops while in Palakkad when on a number of occasions, following used to happen:

Store-boy (to me) : 'sArukku baig vENdallO?'
me (if I don't have my regular thuNippai) : 'vENdA, vENdA' (and pick up items by hands as much as possible and drop them off in the vehicle, may be 2 -3 trips)
Store-boy (to an onlooker) : 'ee sAru plastic pai upayOgikkilla'
Onlooker (to me) : adhu endhinA?
Me: hEy, nammekkoNdu parisaram nashippikkaNdA ennu vachchAnu...

That's all. With a smile and feeling so happy I used to leave:-) I used to always get a kick in having that reputation with the store boy:-)

sarna_blr
13th May 2008, 07:37 PM
app_engine.. unmayaavaa :? :clap: :2thumbsup: :bow:

app_engine
13th May 2008, 07:56 PM
sarna_blr,

On some days, I won't be able to locate some decent thuNippai but only the famous 'manja' color pai:-) Without any koochcham, I'll carry that to the store:-) I'm not sure whether you know how much fun malayAlees make of the yellow color bag given by TN cloth shops:-)

When one is convinced of doing something good, such ridicules won't bother. I think years later, at least on a number of cities / districts in Kerala, the plastic bags themselves are banned.

sarna_blr
13th May 2008, 08:03 PM
sarna_blr,

On some days, I won't be able to locate some decent thuNippai but only the famous 'manja' color pai:-) Without any koochcham, I'll carry that to the store:-) I'm not sure whether you know how much fun malayAlees make of the yellow color bag given by TN cloth shops:-)

When one is convinced of doing something good, such ridicules won't bother. I think years later, at least on a number of cities / districts in Kerala, the plastic bags themselves are banned.

:yes: i know that... even in blr my friends used to make fun of it by calling manjaa bag... :oops:

ippO graamangalukku kooda plastic bag nozhanjiduchchu by replacing news papers in maligai shops... :banghead:

Anoushka
13th May 2008, 08:22 PM
app_engine: well done! Here there is a charge for plastic bags :) I have a few bags in my car/hand bag all the time anyway!

When in Chennai and I run to the shop to get a couple of things, I always tell the shop guys not to waste a plastic bag for me!

I think once you realise how much damage we have done to earth it is easy enough to do simple things like these!

Look at the weather these days. Chennai was never this hot when we were kids... we can see the damage we have done and I hope atleast this makes people make an effort to change! :)

pavalamani pragasam
13th May 2008, 08:53 PM
There are many people, esp. in small towns who are ardently attached to manja pai in a sentimental way!

The use-and-throw concept is a bane definitely!

app_engine
13th May 2008, 09:43 PM
Anoushka, Thank you:-)

Your following comment is very important:

>>Instead of buying flowers for people, I buy plants for them.
I try and grow my own vegetables.<<

This, IMO, is even more important than just shunning some conveniences. Any "tightening the belly" effort can only go so much. What's more needed is thrust in the opposite direction, especially in growing trees and such positive steps.

Being an apartment dweller in MI, that's one part I definitely miss - growing trees in the front / back yards of the home. Even in very limited space (as we have in most towns in TN), it's not difficult to grow a tree. To me, the simplest one in TN is neem -with very less effort one can see it coming up within a very short time. The benefits are immeasurable!

wrap07
14th May 2008, 12:51 AM
sarna_blr,

app, it is quite nostalgic. what you have brought out reminded me of the same ridicule the people used to face when carrying the thuni pai. I have shunned plastic bags totaly and I have atleast succeeded in impressing upon my neighbours about the plastic bags. Though it may not change everything, atleast it gives some mental satisfaction of not adding to the crime.

As far as I know generally people do not not take these things seriously. They take things seriously only when something untoward happens before them and even that impact will be there for only some time. Then they will be back to their oldself.

Our lectures that the present and future generation will suffer and we should do our bit towards them generaly falls on deaf ears, save a few. But that could never be the reason for our efforts to do our bit. It is like coconut tree. The results are there to see over period of time.

Badri
14th May 2008, 06:15 AM
It is really funny and ironic how trends keep changing, and how like idiots we feel we have to change with some trends!!! It is times as these that make me despair for human intelligence.

"Thuni pai" when I was growing up was the symbol of the "pattikaadu" and "pattiamma". No 'forward-thinking' cosmopolite from Chennai would want to be caught dead with one!

Now here in Australia the client I am working with is launching a huge public facing commerical website and as part of the marketing promotions has given everyone in the company a 'thuni pai' with the name and logo etc printed! The expectation is people would use that as a shopping bag and thereby promote not only the new branding but also the environmental consciousness of the company!

And so, now the very same Chennai cosmopolites (self included) who wouldnt have wanted to do anything with such an unfashionable accessory are now happily touting it along when they go shopping!

Isnt this so ironic! We are foolishly abandoning many a good practice thinking we are keeping up with times. Time, on the other hand, is busy doing the full circle and bringing back those very same practices that were once deemed unfashionable or primitive!

pavalamani pragasam
14th May 2008, 07:17 AM
Let us pray the reversal picks up speed!

wrap07
14th May 2008, 03:59 PM
It is really funny and ironic how trends keep changing, and how like idiots we feel we have to change with some trends!!! It is times as these that make me despair for human intelligence.

"Thuni pai" when I was growing up was the symbol of the "pattikaadu" and "pattiamma". No 'forward-thinking' cosmopolite from Chennai would want to be caught dead with one!

Now here in Australia the client I am working with is launching a huge public facing commerical website and as part of the marketing promotions has given everyone in the company a 'thuni pai' with the name and logo etc printed! The expectation is people would use that as a shopping bag and thereby promote not only the new branding but also the environmental consciousness of the company!

And so, now the very same Chennai cosmopolites (self included) who wouldnt have wanted to do anything with such an unfashionable accessory are now happily touting it along when they go shopping!

Isnt this so ironic! We are foolishly abandoning many a good practice thinking we are keeping up with times. Time, on the other hand, is busy doing the full circle and bringing back those very same practices that were once deemed unfashionable or primitive!

well said shri badri. :clap: The greatest irony of all is that whatever good practices/customs we were following is being followed in other advanced nations in a differnt style (after understanding the value of the same) and our quest for being seen as sophisticated and advanced in our approach has resulted in us leaving out many a good pratice/customs.

pavalamani pragasam
14th May 2008, 07:04 PM
:exactly:

app_engine
14th May 2008, 07:34 PM
It's "sustainability week" in the client where I work and there's a lot of activitiy on similar items (refuse / reduce / recycle stuff).

One of the things I got reminded of in the campaign is about "physically switching off" the appliances not in use (e.g. TV, computer monitor etc.) This can be done by plugging them to a power strip with a switch and turning that off when not in use, there by cutting off power totally. This will avoid the waste of energy for the "stand-by" mode. I think the stand-by stuff by all the electronic appliances in the world is taking up a considerable chunk of energy.

Anoushka
14th May 2008, 07:37 PM
It's "sustainability week" in the client where I work and there's a lot of activitiy on similar items (refuse / reduce / recycle stuff).

One of the things I got reminded of in the campaign is about "physically switching off" the appliances not in use (e.g. TV, computer monitor etc.) This can be done by plugging them to a power strip with a switch and turning that off when not in use, there by cutting off power totally. This will avoid the waste of energy for the "stand-by" mode. I think the stand-by stuff by all the electronic appliances in the world is taking up a considerable chunk of energy.

App_engine: agreed. I actually plug out the TV/laptop, etc when not in use. It also saves the appliance in case of a power surge.

app_engine
14th May 2008, 11:19 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Standby_power

As per this article some studies have suggested that the stand-by power spent in US is billions of watts annually and could provide electricity for Vietnam, Peru & Greece totally!

The ultimate resolve should be to eliminate "waste" in whatever form!

anbu_kathir
15th May 2008, 10:33 AM
Nice points all.

This is about Bhutan and its GNH policy: ( Source:BBC)
--------------------------------------------------------------
The remote Himalayan kingdom of Bhutan is the only country in the world which puts happiness at the heart of government policy.

The government must consider every policy for its impact not only on Gross Domestic Product, but also on GNH: "Gross National Happiness".

The politics of happiness has led Bhutan to make very different decisions from countries simply searching for wealth. The capital, Thimpu, is remarkable for its lack of advertising. In an attempt to hold back consumerism the city council recently banned hoardings promoting Coke and Pepsi.

Bhutan was the last nation in the world to introduce television in 1999. Recently they banned a number of channels including international wrestling and MTV, which they felt did little to promote happiness.

Bhutan has even banned plastic bags and tobacco on the grounds that they make the country less happy.

One of the pillars of Bhutan's happiness philosophy is care for the environment. Strict conservation laws are aimed at achieving sustainable development. For instance, a permit is required before any tree can be chopped down, making Bhutan the most ecologically pure land in Asia and possibly the world.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/in_pictures/4782636.stm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gross_national_happiness

--------------------------------------------------------------

Although some of the moves taken by the govt. with their reason as GNH are questionable, this model is very much one to be practically implemented by all nations.

Incidentally though, the site also says : "Bhutan has been able to adopt radical policies partly because it is a remote kingdom and partly because it is an absolute monarchy." ( Now they do have a democracy in place )

While this is partly true, I feel what really lacks is the will to change things, to give up on selfish short-term objectives for the greater good from the people as well as from the government's side.

Love and Light.

anbu_kathir
15th May 2008, 10:40 AM
[tscii:3036ac6cb2]
Btw, the Indian govt. seems to have a site for climate change, albeit outdated, like many other things in the country.( http://envfor.nic.in/cc/index.htm ). I don't understand why this isn't being maintained, when even the IPCC council was itself spearheaded by an Indian. :idontgetit:

A link from the site says about the Kyoto Protocol ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kyoto_Protocol)

" India is not required to reduce emission of Green House Gases under the Protocol under which basically the developed countries were required to reduce emissions of GHG by an average of 5.2 per cent below 1990 level by 2012. "

So it looks like nothing has/will be done except ratifying the protocol. What of a sense of responsibilty to ourselves and our duty as a human being? :huh:

And Mr. John McCain, the Republican Candidate, seems to have said this a few days back:

“China, India, and other developing economic powers in particular are among the greatest contributors to global warming today – increasing carbon emissions at a furious pace – and they are not receptive to international standards"

"No nation should be exempted from its obligations. And least of all should we make exceptions for the very countries that are accelerating carbon emissions while the rest of us seek to reduce emissions. If we are going to establish meaningful environmental protocols, then they must include the two nations that have the potential to pollute the air faster, and in greater annual volume, than any nation ever in history."

Of course, Mr. Bush's recent and similar comments on the Food Crisis are well known.

A pity that we are putting economics in the forefront and blaming other nations rather than leading by example. As long as such things continue, true progress will never happen. :sigh2:

Love and Light. [/tscii:3036ac6cb2]

dev
15th May 2008, 11:34 AM
In a way I'm happy that food prices are going up coz ppl will become more responsible with food. Here in the restaurants & food courts I can see the qty of food has been reduced(1st serving-addl servings are given on demand) & thereby less wastage too. I feel so bad when I see ppl wasting food... esp when there's a buffet they just fill their plates & waste 1/2 of it... they think it's their right to eat or waste when they pay for a buffet...:hammer: Food price increase,I hope, will make ppl more responsible when it comes to food...

//wondering Y I'm posting this here!!!... the shopkeeper near my house was telling me today that there's no rice coming in from India & he is just not able to get new stock of rice...adhai yosichukitte vandhen... enge post pannuradhunu theriyalai...adhaan inga post pannitten...//

dsath
15th May 2008, 02:38 PM

To answer your question

I live in Ireland.... (some of it may not be applicable in India)

I have only CFLs in my house.
All my electrical appliances are A rated.
I compost all my organic waste at home
I use a recycle bin for paper.
I take any recyclable material to the recycling centre atleast once a month (includes plastics, metal, wood, paper, cardboard, etc)
I try and walk to any place that is within half an hour's walking distance (upto 3km) when ever possible.
Though most of my friends have suggested that I buy a second car, I still have stuck to only one car which we use as a family car.
My husband takes the train to work.
I buy only gift vouchers as gifts for others so they can buy what they need instead of me buying something that they will not use.
Most of the stuff that I use for my son is hand-me-downs. The moses-basket, pram, travel-cot, and a whole pile of other things!
I try not to buy new clothes specifically for Diwali, pongal, birthdays, etc!
Instead of buying flowers for people, I buy plants for them.
I try and grow my own vegetables.
I do not buy stuff just because they are on a sale!

This is just a sample, now tell me if it is easy and practiable to practise simple things to make life better for the next generation :)
Anou, you never cease to amaze me. :thumbsup:
Dev, unfortunately the people who are affected by the rising food price are the people who live below poverty line who can't afford to waste food anyway.

dev
15th May 2008, 03:11 PM
dsath, neenga solluradhum sari thaan...

Anoushka
15th May 2008, 04:27 PM
thaks dsath! :)

dev: ingayum rice patraakurai thaan. The local Indian shop woman says there was some guy who bought 10 bags of 20 kg rice as soon as he heard about the rice ban! Wonder what he is going to do with it...

Another thing worth mentioning is buy as much as local produce as possible. I do have a problem with that as rice, dal, and all the Indian veg that I get comes from India.... but I try to avoid buying veg like Aubergine, tomato, onions, potato, etc from the Indian shop!

dev
15th May 2008, 04:55 PM
10 bags of 20 kg rice!!!... :lol:
Yes, local produce is better... it'll be fresher + veenana transportation kuraiyudhu...so lesser pollution too...aanal enna, inga local produce is almost nil... :roll: hubby was telling me that they served kerala rice in 'andhra curry' outlet today... :roll: anyway, adhu udambukku innum nalladhu thaan... more fibre than white rice... :wink:

app_engine
15th May 2008, 07:19 PM
We have another thread for the price increase / food crisis:-)
http://www.mayyam.com/hub/viewtopic.php?t=11400

On the sustainability front:

Looks like the price of the 'spring-looking' lamps are coming down (may be due to larger production). I got 8 of the 13W type -GE make- for just a little over $11 (the illumination is equivalent to a 60W tungston bulb). It switches on instantly and looks much brighter than the traditional lamp, while fitting into the same holder:-)) And also credited with a 5 year life-time!

sarna_blr
15th May 2008, 07:26 PM
:yes:
inga kaththirikkaai 1kg = Rs20...
Takkaali 1kg = Rs24...

naan enaga pOyi muttikkuradhu... :banghead:

Anoushka
15th May 2008, 08:05 PM
Takkaali 1kg = Rs24...

naan enaga pOyi muttikkuradhu... :banghead: Inga oru kilo kathirikai is 5 Euros (as on today 5*64 = Rs.320 ) :lol:

Anoushka
15th May 2008, 08:06 PM
We have another thread for the price increase / food crisis:-)
http://www.mayyam.com/hub/viewtopic.php?t=11400

On the sustainability front:

Looks like the price of the 'spring-looking' lamps are coming down (may be due to larger production). I got 8 of the 13W type -GE make- for just a little over $11 (the illumination is equivalent to a 60W tungston bulb). It switches on instantly and looks much brighter than the traditional lamp, while fitting into the same holder:-)) And also credited with a 5 year life-time! Yep, it goes much longer than the normal bulbs :) I am yet to change any of the bulbs since I moved to our home 4 years ago! :)

anbu_kathir
16th May 2008, 09:57 AM
Between a quarter and a third of the world's wildlife has been lost since 1970, according to data compiled by the Zoological Society of London.

Populations of land-based species fell by 25%, marine by 28% and freshwater by 29%, it says.

Humans are wiping out about 1% of all other species every year, and one of the "great extinction episodes" in the Earth's history is under way, it says.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/7403989.stm

Love and Light.

sarna_blr
16th May 2008, 10:04 AM
Takkaali 1kg = Rs24...

naan enaga pOyi muttikkuradhu... :banghead: Inga oru kilo kathirikai is 5 Euros (as on today 5*64 = Rs.320 ) :lol:

but naanga inga 10,000 Rs sambalam vaanginaa.... neenga 10,000 euro sambalam vanguveenga....

So 20rs'a vida, 5euros cheap dhaan :P

Badri
16th May 2008, 10:58 AM
Takkaali 1kg = Rs24...

but naanga inga 10,000 Rs sambalam vaanginaa.... neenga 10,000 euro sambalam vanguveenga....

10K Euro!!!! Enna, annual salary sollareengala? At Euro's rate, you will be surprised if people get paid around 3-4K per month. I am sure that must be the average...

here in Australia for instance the average salary is around $50K per year. Which after taxes and everything translates to a take home of around 3K per month!

So, 3000 ruba salary-la, 5 ruba per kg kathirikkai evlo costly?

Anoushka
16th May 2008, 05:02 PM
Takkaali 1kg = Rs24...

10K Euro!!!! Enna, annual salary sollareengala? At Euro's rate, you will be surprised if people get paid around 3-4K per month. I am sure that must be the average...

here in Australia for instance the average salary is around $50K per year. Which after taxes and everything translates to a take home of around 3K per month!

So, 3000 ruba salary-la, 5 ruba per kg kathirikkai evlo costly? You are right Badri-na, and that 3-4 K euros is including tax and when tax goes (41%) what we get is around 2.5K!

It is difficult for people to understand that we earn in Euros and spend in Euros too! :) Most of the time when I go to India, I hear complaints like you earn so much there and you still say you cannot afford a servant (just a sample...), you must be lying! :lol: Like I keep saying, if I want to have a driver for my car then I have to sell my car to pay my driver's salary :lol:

sarna_blr
16th May 2008, 05:18 PM
Takkaali 1kg = Rs24...

So, 3000 ruba salary-la, 5 ruba per kg kathirikkai evlo costly? You are right Badri-na, and that 3-4 K euros is including tax and when tax goes (41%) what we get is around 2.5K!

It is difficult for people to understand that we earn in Euros and spend in Euros too! :) Most of the time when I go to India, I hear complaints like you earn so much there and you still say you cannot afford a servant (just a sample...), you must be lying! :lol: Like I keep saying, if I want to have a driver for my car then I have to sell my car to pay my driver's salary :lol:

:ty: for ur valuable informations...

Mr badri... avanga euro'va rupees'aa convert panni kathirika romba costlynu sonnaanga... adhanaaladhaan.. :P

<< we earn in Euros and spend in Euros too >>

:huh: ennamO naanga mattum euros'la sambaarichchu rupees'la selavu pannura maadhiri... nallaa comedy panreenga... :lol2:

Anoushka
16th May 2008, 05:50 PM
//Sarna: did you not see the :lol: icon at the end of my comment about kathirikkai vilai here, I did comment about the vilai, but I wasn't complaining - it was just a fun statement to add to your post avvaLavuthaan!

As I myself have stated in another post, it is not local produce and I know it is expensive to ship it here and also it is perishable so it will be expensive. Adhellam theriaama naan pEsalai! :)

Again, the comment about earning in Euros and spending in Euros was about us, not about you! I meant to say we earn in Euros and do not spend in Rupees! :) The general comment when we talk to someone in India is you guys are rich, you earn in Euros... People forget we spend in Euros too! Our rent/mortgage is fairly high, cost of living is fairly high and most people don't seem to consider that! :)

(ungaLukku ennapa, neenga dollars and pounds (Euros still haven't gone into people's head! :lol:) la sambaadhikureenga, idhellam periya vishayama ungaLukku) - typical comment that we here :) //

Shakthiprabha.
16th May 2008, 06:00 PM
(ungaLukku ennapa, neenga dollars and pounds (Euros still haven't gone into people's head! :lol:) la sambaadhikureenga, idhellam periya vishayama ungaLukku) - typical comment that we here :)

Perfect! Ive seen and known NRIs who have lived abroad for 20 plus years and not saved a pie and still live a middle class life there.
Their relatives / friends use the same dialougue, "oh u earn in dollars!" and expect mountains of gifts and donations when they come here to india. Even if they try to behave normal, they are stamped rich , proud or rich and proud and are treated differently, much to their disagreement, without knowing their background or digging the facts thoroughly.

anbu_kathir
16th May 2008, 06:03 PM
Enna kodumainga ithu.:D

Ulagithila enna nadakuthO athOda reflection dhaan indha threadla. :!:

Ultimately everything boils down to economics. :sigh2:

Thayavuseythu matterkku vaanga.

Love and Light.

P.S: I understand the light-heartedness of your talks :P but please do keep it around the issues for which the thread was started.

Anoushka
16th May 2008, 06:10 PM
sorry Anbu_kathir :)

anyway, don't you think it will be a nice exercise to start from the house we live in, room by room and say how we can do small bits to save the earth?

Like say

Bathroom: Avoid wasting water, do not leave the tap running when brushing the teeth! - saves your electricity bill (when you have to pump the water up to the tank) and also saves water!

anbu_kathir
16th May 2008, 06:17 PM
Yes, I do think so.

But there is a unity among most humans in polluting, wasting energy in various forms, ignorance of some basic environmental hygiene and protection, and the lack of understanding of how fragile life is becoming on earth.

It is important to start on a personal level. But time is short. If we wish to make even a small impact, atleast 1% of the world, which is around 64 million humans, must take notice and act wisely together.

The unity that we have in polluting and wasting, that we must have in conservation and wise conscious action. That demands drastic social activism and courage. This is perhaps the one thing that most of us lack.

Love and Light.

P.S: " us " , " we " etc. have been used to signify humans as a whole, not the thread participators or the hubbers. We are but an insignificant lot as long as we keep our activism in these issues to a personal/home level.

sorry Anbu_kathir :)

anyway, don't you think it will be a nice exercise to start from the house we live in, room by room and say how we can do small bits to save the earth?

Like say

Bathroom: Avoid wasting water, do not leave the tap running when brushing the teeth! - saves your electricity bill (when you have to pump the water up to the tank) and also saves water!

anbu_kathir
16th May 2008, 06:21 PM
By the way, Anoushka, I admire your wise practical tips those which you have said that you implement at your place. Athukku ungalukku :notworthy:. But we must go a notch up wherever we are on the activism scale. This is very much required of us humans.

Love and Light.

Shakthiprabha.
16th May 2008, 06:21 PM
How many cities/states in india has banned plastic paper bags? any ifnos?

Anoushka
16th May 2008, 06:26 PM
Thanks anbu kathir :) I tried telling people in my way, now I tell people in their way, if they try and do "this & that", their electricity bill and gas bill will come down... works wonders :) I guess we have to start educating people in a way which they will understand!

Shakthi: I do not have any info on that but I do know that there are a atleast a couple of energy from waste plants coming up in TN!

anbu_kathir
16th May 2008, 06:28 PM
Do read this. http://www.blogs.ivarta.com/india-usa-blog-column77.htm

In India, looks like many states have banned use of thin plastic bags. No idea about how effective they really are. In our country mediocrity is the order of the day. Anywhere any rule can be bent to any extent.

Love and Light.

How many cities/states in india has banned plastic paper bags? any ifnos?

anbu_kathir
16th May 2008, 06:31 PM
Yea perfect. Until they realise that these issues are far bigger than their wallet, it is best to get the point across according to their priorities.

Love and Light.

Thanks anbu kathir :) I tried telling people in my way, now I tell people in their way, if they try and do "this & that", their electricity bill and gas bill will come down... works wonders :) I guess we have to start educating people in a way which they will understand!

Shakthi: I do not have any info on that but I do know that there are a atleast a couple of energy from waste plants coming up in TN!

Shakthiprabha.
16th May 2008, 06:37 PM
When population is large, to have any single rule implemented thoroughly becomes tedious.

Someday india would wake up better to realise the importance. until then these would carry on.

I INVITE :

Suggestions on how to DISPOSE garbage plz?

We all tend to throw it with available plastic bags

(thanks to any abc, xyz super markets to give us bags for every single purchase)

and these bags get clogged in every street corner, which makes the heart of any environment concious person to BLEED.

Roshan
16th May 2008, 06:38 PM
Do read this. http://www.blogs.ivarta.com/india-usa-blog-column77.htm

In India, looks like many states have banned use of thin plastic bags. No idea about how effective they really are. In our country mediocrity is the order of the day. Anywhere any rule can be bent to any extent.

:exactly: specially in our part of the world. Sri Lanka too banned the use of thin plastic bags a year ago and like in all cases, immediately after the law was passed we could see some sort of a descipline but ippO athellAm kAthula paRanthu pOyiduchu :x No body gives a damn to it and I see more thinner bags being used these days.

B'desh has a success story of reducing the impact of flood by 20%-30% as a result of banning plastic bags.

app_engine
16th May 2008, 07:03 PM
>>demands drastic social activism and courage.<<

Sustainability is both individual and society's responsibility (as in the case of every moral). Now, "society" is a very loose term and can be defined in many ways. In addition, that keeps changing from time to time (geographical / political, cultural / religious, literary / education, commercial etc.) and the norms keep changing as well.

For now, as hubbers, the 'do-able' thing is on an individual / family level which is defintely discussion-worthy and implementation-worthy:-)

Anoushka
16th May 2008, 09:36 PM
When population is large, to have any single rule implemented thoroughly becomes tedious.

Someday india would wake up better to realise the importance. until then these would carry on.

I INVITE :

Suggestions on how to DISPOSE garbage plz?

We all tend to throw it with available plastic bags

(thanks to any abc, xyz super markets to give us bags for every single purchase)

and these bags get clogged in every street corner, which makes the heart of any environment concious person to BLEED. Shakthi: why don't you use paper bags instead of plastic bags?

Do you have a garbage collection system? If you live in an appartment complex, why don't you suggest to the association to get a composter and arrange for someone to collect all the oraganic waste in the complex and compost it?

Shakthiprabha.
16th May 2008, 11:02 PM
Garbage paper bags are not very popularly available anou. Even otherwise plastic bags are what we get everwhere when we shop. As such we need to throw it out, so most of us use the same for throwing garbage. It is very easy to say, THE SHOPS need to stop plastic cover packngs. :( Otherwise we need TO BUY paper bags for garpage purpose. The whole purpose is defeated when we realise we need to dispose these plastic covers with or without paper bags and it would exist in some form or another. Almost every house gets 10 to 12 new covers everyday for any random shopping.

Yes! somewhere it has to start.

Few times I do carry wire bags or cloth bags to shop veg or other provisions.

REg the system, I need to find out, as I am pretty new here and not sure if organic waste is collected. We have a suggestion box and also our private yahoo mailing group. I would definitely put this issue forward.

crazy
16th May 2008, 11:15 PM
hm..... :roll:

recently they introduced a 100% degradable plastic bags in Norway :)

Anoushka
17th May 2008, 03:13 AM
Garbage paper bags are not very popularly available anou. Even otherwise plastic bags are what we get everwhere when we shop. As such we need to throw it out, so most of us use the same for throwing garbage. It is very easy to say, THE SHOPS need to stop plastic cover packngs. :( Otherwise we need TO BUY paper bags for garpage purpose. The whole purpose is defeated when we realise we need to dispose these plastic covers with or without paper bags and it would exist in some form or another. Almost every house gets 10 to 12 new covers everyday for any random shopping.

Yes! somewhere it has to start.

Few times I do carry wire bags or cloth bags to shop veg or other provisions.

REg the system, I need to find out, as I am pretty new here and not sure if organic waste is collected. We have a suggestion box and also our private yahoo mailing group. I would definitely put this issue forward.

Shakthi: If we go shopping, the shops give us paper bags here. If we ask for plastic bags, each plastic bag will cost us 22 cents! Our bin bag is plastic though....

Because people have to pay for plastic bags in grocery shops, everyone started carrying bags here. It has become so easy. All of us would have bags in the boot/hand bag, handy enough to find one when we go shopping. Initially it was difficult, but we have got used to it now :)

Garbage disposal:

I split my garbage into

recyclable - all my recyclabe waste goes into my garden shed, so don't worry too much about it! I go to the recycling centre once a month!

organic - all uncooked food, egg shells,, tea bags, etc go into the compost bin that I have in my bag garden

land fill waste (as I call it) - is the one that doesn't fall into either of the above categories. This is the one that goes into the dust bin. It had become so less that I used to keep my black bin for collection only once in two to three months! Now with Abhi's nappies it is much more frequent...

---

Shakthi: there is plastic that you can avoid and there is plastic that you cannot avoid (atleast at the moment)... you can refuse to take plastic bags that the shop keepers give for you to pack your groceries, clothes, etc and use your own bags. Where as plastic packaging like for a packet of noodles is something that you cannot avoid. Use those plastic packets to collect your waste (I use them as I have very less landfill waste on a daily basis).

app_engine
18th May 2008, 03:36 AM
wow!

Another very insightful post by Anoushka!I guess most of us can implement these exactly the way or in similar ways!

rajraj
18th May 2008, 09:19 AM
Here you can find what a city and a county do for the earth ! :)

http://www.tucsonaz.gov/tcb/rd/

See the quote at the top from Margaret Mead .

Shakthiprabha.
18th May 2008, 03:23 PM
[tscii:2fa4ef5ff3]Anou,

Thats of real important news to most of us who do not segregate garbage ( atleast I NEVER WAS diong it until yesterday) and still feeling very sad and helpless about the plastic bags lying every corner of the street. The painful fact however STILL REMAINS, India as such has not taken enough serious steps towards these awareness. Most of us lack education, and/or lethargic to follow it in our day to day life as it does not seem mandatory to TODAY's existence.

I googled and found this site, for few fellow Indians, who are interested in contributing difference in minute level. It educates us about biodegradable and non-biodegradable wastes.

http://www.edugreen.teri.res.in/EXPLORE/solwaste/segre.htm

Check it out, and LETS TRY TO make the minimal diff of atleast segregating our garbage.

_______

Jist of it says:

Biodegradable waste include organic waste, e.g. kitchen waste, vegetables, fruits, flowers, leaves from the garden, and paper.

Nonbiodegradable waste can be further segregated into:

a) Recyclable waste – plastics, paper, glass, metal, etc.

b) Toxic waste – old medicines, paints, chemicals, bulbs, spray cans, fertilizer and pesticide containers, batteries, shoe polish.
c) Soiled – hospital waste such as cloth soiled with blood and other body fluids.

Toxic and soiled waste must be disposed of with utmost care.

Lets hope to make ATLEAST THIS SMALL difference in our society.[/tscii:2fa4ef5ff3]

app_engine
18th May 2008, 04:24 PM
rajraj,
Excellent link! The home page has a hyperlink to tucson recycle website that's very educative too.

I spent around 2 months in Tucson that too in summer (pronounced "toosAn" which amazes me) and should say some of the wonderful people in U.S. That was also the time of Aspen fire when I saw helicopters pouring water from sky to quench the forest fire.

With less than 8 inch rainfall per year and cactus the state symbol (I think both Tucson and Phoenix depend upon the Hoover dam in Colorado, as does LA) and still use water much similar to people at the Great lakes state (except in Lawn care - still Tucson has a huge golf course, maintained by recylced water) is another interesting thing to me.

I often compare the huge disparity of individual water usage in TN & the neighboring Kerala when I think of no such difference between Tucson & Detroit:-)

app_engine
18th May 2008, 04:32 PM
>>Thats of real important news to most of us who do not segregate garbage <<

If you're in India, you still need not feel very guilty about it as there will be others who will segregate your garbage,to a great extent (there are some people who make a living out of it). I don't know about the current situation, but we had decent levels of reuse / recycle thanks to those who pick things from garbage, at least in Kerala. Plastic bags is a very different story,though;-(

Anoushka
19th May 2008, 02:29 AM
Thanks for the link Shakthi & Raj uncle :)

Another way to reuse stuff:

Have a local notice board in the appartment blocks, local shops, etc where you can display ads to dispose used stuff like old cycles, toys, etc! You can hand them over free of cost to people that will reuse it, instead of throwing it in the bin :)

wrap07
19th May 2008, 12:55 PM
Even the local corporation is giving advertisement of bifurcating the garbage into two(makkum/makkatha) to enable them process accordingly. But, this has not reached everyone and the earlier practice of dumping all in one is going on. Actually in most areas(to be best of my knowledge) they keep the dust bags near the entrance, the local assn/body recruited staff take away the stuff and they dump to a open ground from where corporation staff clear the items once in week(may be a month also). There is no such facility for splitting the waste.

A box/container may be kept in every street corner or nearby depending upon the convenince to enable the people to put them in the specific boxes with information abt the type of waste to be put, which may help in segregating the waste and also avoid dumping in all open grounds.

sarna_blr
19th May 2008, 03:01 PM
wrap07 <<< But, this has not reached everyone and the earlier practice of dumping all in one is going on >>>

i am seeing this in few MNC's... :oops: mainly in canteens.... :banghead:

app_engine
20th May 2008, 08:41 PM
Like any problem where the source has to be first identified (and corrected if possible), let us look at the sources for this issue of "makkAdha kuppai". (Obviously most of "makkum kuppai" cannot be avoided at source and also the treatment of this part of garbage is relatively less complex than the other.)

So, why should there be a lot of 'makkAdha kuppai' generated in the first place? What and who are all the culprits? I think a little focus and discussion on this will help:-)

We have discussed mainly the plastic bags / polythene bags in the thread so far. The general consensus solution seems to be "carry your own bag, which should also be bio-degradable if possible" and thus avoid more production of this kuppai.

And from the business side, i feel they should charge heavily for this if a customer asks for it, forcing them not to use them - sheer economics. In addition, the Govt. can also levy charges on such items at excise / tax rates similar to tobacco to discourage usage.

What about other items and the corresponding source-focussed-solutions?

dev
20th May 2008, 08:54 PM

Hmmm... We r forced to change our bathroom door(plastic kind of material) just coz the lock is spoilt. All those I enquired so far say that the lock cannot be changed...I really wonder if even doors are use & throw, how much of makki pogaadha kuppai we would be leaving behind in our lifetime!!!... :roll: :evil:

app_engine
20th May 2008, 09:53 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thermocol

It's a very interesting article (especially the portion related to this thread). Looks like some (actually very few) cities in NA have woken up to this material that's widely used as carry-out food package / disposable items etc. and banned them last year (only last year, that is after McD identifying this as an issue a decade back).

Hubbers - please shun this material for any non-essential use! I feel ashamed because I fell into the trap of using thermocoal boxes for packing my son's lunch as he seemed to never bring back the lunch-box:-( And these are available pretty cheap (300 for say $6 in Sams club). I'm going to get tough with the boy and eliminate use of this!

Lambretta
20th May 2008, 09:55 PM
Hmmm... We r forced to change our bathroom door(plastic kind of material) just coz the lock is spoilt. All those I enquired so far say that the lock cannot be changed...I really wonder if even doors are use & throw, how much of makki pogaadha kuppai we would be leaving behind in our lifetime!!!... :roll: :evil:
Is it the sliding type plastic doors or the folding type (common in HDBs?)
Incidentally I'm told u cant change the locks even on those metal grille doors at the entrance in HDBs if they get spoilt! :x

dev
21st May 2008, 07:32 AM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thermocol

It's a very interesting article (especially the portion related to this thread). Looks like some (actually very few) cities in NA have woken up to this material that's widely used as carry-out food package / disposable items etc. and banned them last year (only last year, that is after McD identifying this as an issue a decade back).

Hubbers - please shun this material for any non-essential use! I feel ashamed because I fell into the trap of using thermocoal boxes for packing my son's lunch as he seemed to never bring back the lunch-box:-( And these are available pretty cheap (300 for say $6 in Sams club). I'm going to get tough with the boy and eliminate use of this!

Very informative,app... Never knew tht it's hard to recycle thermocol too!!!...

dev
21st May 2008, 07:35 AM
Is it the sliding type plastic doors or the folding type (common in HDBs?)
Incidentally I'm told u cant change the locks even on those metal grille doors at the entrance in HDBs if they get spoilt! :x

It's the folding type...For the grill gates you have the option of using pad locks...

Anoushka
23rd May 2008, 07:25 PM
Like any problem where the source has to be first identified (and corrected if possible), let us look at the sources for this issue of "makkAdha kuppai". (Obviously most of "makkum kuppai" cannot be avoided at source and also the treatment of this part of garbage is relatively less complex than the other.)

So, why should there be a lot of 'makkAdha kuppai' generated in the first place? What and who are all the culprits? I think a little focus and discussion on this will help:-)

We have discussed mainly the plastic bags / polythene bags in the thread so far. The general consensus solution seems to be "carry your own bag, which should also be bio-degradable if possible" and thus avoid more production of this kuppai.

And from the business side, i feel they should charge heavily for this if a customer asks for it, forcing them not to use them - sheer economics. In addition, the Govt. can also levy charges on such items at excise / tax rates similar to tobacco to discourage usage.

When it comes to kuppai, we have to understand that anything that we stop using becomes some form of (makkum/makkatha/recyclable) kuppai soon!

Right from the clothes we wear to the mobile phones we tend to change every year - when its use is finished it becomes kuppai! Some of tend to leave it in the attic, some hand it over to others for reuse, some recycle what is recyclable and some just discard it!

One way of looking at it is when buy something, we have to think twice as to whether we really need it.

app_engine
23rd May 2008, 08:23 PM
>>One way of looking at it is when buy something, we have to think twice as to whether we really need it.<<

Well said!

The thinking should never be "I want it" / "I can afford it" etc, but "whether I really need it". Impulse buying (some even have "compulsive buying") habits contribute to the vicious cycle of kuppai generation. Most producers will discard making certain things, if there're no buyers for it and that will kill the problem at source, at least for a while till another not-so-smart guy starts manufacturing the same thing. (Ofcourse, authorities play a key role here in restricting mfr of anything that affects sustainability).

dev
29th May 2008, 08:04 AM
Anou, how abt disposable diapers for kids?... Do you use reusable cloth diapers?... Any tips on that... I read that these disposable diapers form a large part of the landfill...

wrap07
29th May 2008, 03:50 PM
It is to be said that generally people do have a tendency to go for products for the sake it without seeing the utility part of it. The type of advt with its own free offers pushes people to buy them. Lot of items which are thrown out of the houses after some time without even making use of them properly.

Lot of products which are sold during festive occasions and important days are nothing but old crap items with fresh look. As far as the sellers are concerned, they know that any crap could be sold with a free offer to our gullible people. it has become a fashion nowadays to buy during these times every year and crowds seen during these times at shops is quite a sight. The amount of money spent, rather wasted on unwanted products is extraordinary.

This type of waste generation is hard to contain unless there is some realisation among us that only the essential items need to be procured and we should also give a thought to the waste disposal part of it. A same company comes up with different products of same nature with only the name change but people fall for it. It is a case of clear brainwashing by the companies with their Advt for which there is no control mechanism.

dev
29th May 2008, 04:38 PM
Wrap, u r right... esp ladies have a craze for low priced/discounted things which either don't last long or end up being unused most of the times... :oops:

Anoushka
30th May 2008, 02:54 AM
Wrap, u r right... esp ladies have a craze for low priced/discounted things which either don't last long or end up being unused most of the times... :oops: dev, it not just the women, the men do it too! :)

There is a German shop here which does deals every week, one of my friends says, his attic is lined with stuff bought from lidl week after week after week for the past three years! :)

dev
30th May 2008, 08:23 AM
Wrap, u r right... esp ladies have a craze for low priced/discounted things which either don't last long or end up being unused most of the times... :oops: dev, it not just the women, the men do it too! :)

There is a German shop here which does deals every week, one of my friends says, his attic is lined with stuff bought from lidl week after week after week for the past three years! :)

:shock: :roll: :lol2:

Shekhar
30th May 2008, 04:44 PM
Wrap, u r right... esp ladies have a craze for low priced/discounted things which either don't last long or end up being unused most of the times... :oops:
dev.. you are wrong!!! not for all things they buy. Look at husbands, they want really the costlier ones!! Discounted and economy goods have no takers among women!!
But one thing. They don't mind if they dont last long.. they would love to change them as often as possible...But unfortunately not possible often enough!! :) :)

dev
30th May 2008, 08:51 PM
dev.. you are wrong!!! not for all things they buy. Look at husbands, they want really the costlier ones!! Discounted and economy goods have no takers among women!!
But one thing. They don't mind if they dont last long.. they would love to change them as often as possible...But unfortunately not possible often enough!! :) :)

:lol: Typical Shekar comment!!!... :D

littlemaster1982
1st June 2008, 11:46 AM
நம்மாழ்வார்-தீராநதி நேர்காணல்

தஞ்சை மாவட்டம் திருக்காட்டுப்பள்ளி பகுதியிலுள்ள இளங்காடுதான் நம்மாழ்வார் பிறந்த ஊர். அண்ணாமலை, பல்கலைக்கழகத்தில் பி.எஸ்சி., அக்ரி பட்டப்படிப்பு படித்தவர். கோவில்பட்டி மங்கல வேளாண்மை ஆராய்ச்சி நிலையத்தில் ஆறு ஆண்டுகள் பணி செய்த இவர், இயற்கை வழி விவசாயத்திற்காக பணியைத் துறந்தார். பிறகு நோபல் பரிசு பெற்ற பீஷீனீவீஸீவீஹீuமீ ஜீஹ்க்ஷீமீ என்பவரின் நிறுவனத்தில் (களக்காடு) பணியில் சேர்ந்தார். ஐரோப்பிய நாடுகள் முழுக்க பயணம் செய்தவர் நம்மாழ்வார். நம் நாட்டு வேப்பிளைக்கான காப்புரிமையை பெற ஜெர்மனியில் உள்ள சர்வதேச நீதிமன்றத்தில் வாதாடி மீட்டு, வென்று வந்தவர். இதுவரை லிமீவீsணீ, ளீuபீuனீதீணீனீ உள்ளிட்ட 250க்கும் மேலான என்.ஜி.ஓ.க்களை உறுவாக்கியவர். எழுபது வயதை எட்டியிருக்கும் நம்மாழ்வாரை திருச்சி திருவானைக்கோயிலில் உள்ள அவரது வீட்டில் தீராநதிக்காக சந்தித்தோம்.

தீராநதி : பூமி சூடாகி விட்டது. பருவ காலங்களில் பெருத்த மாறுதல்கள் உண்டாகிவிட்டன. இதனால், தன் இயல்பான தன்மையிலிருந்து பல்வேறு மாறுதல்களை உயிரினங்கள் சந்திக்கப் போகின்றன. உணவுகளில் ஊட்டச்சத்து இல்லை. சுகாதாரக் கேடு அளவுக்கு அதிகமாக அத்துமீறிப் போய்க் கொண்டிருக்கிறது என்று தினம் தினமும் பல்வேறு அதிரடிச் செய்திகள் தினசரிகளில் சூழலியல் பற்றி வெளி வந்து கொண்டே இருக்கின்றன. மக்களும் வழக்கமாக படித்து விட்டு வழக்கம் போல் உண்டு உறங்கிக் கொண்டிருக்கிறார்கள். உண்மையிலேயே நாம் எந்த அளவுக்கான அபாயச் சூழலில் இருக்கின்றோம் என்று நீங்கள் நினைக்கிறீர்கள்?

நம்மாழ்வார்: இப்போது கிட்டத்தில் சந்தித்த செய்தி படிக்கிறேன் கேளுங்கள் : ``அழுகிய நெற்பயிற்களை அகற்ற டபுள் செலவு - மத்தியக் குழுவிடம் நெல்லை விவசாயிகள் வேதனை.'' ஒன்று : நெல்லிலிருந்து விவசாயிக்கு வர வேண்டிய வருவாய் போய்விட்டது. இன்னொன்று: அழுகினதை அள்ளிப் போட்ட பிறகு நிலத்தைச் சுத்தம் செய்ய வேண்டிய கூடுதலான வேலையொன்று வந்து சேர்ந்திருக்கிறது. இது வரைக்கும் நம் மாநிலத்தில் மார்ச், ஏப்ரல் மாதங்களில் எல்லாம் மழையே பெய்தது கிடையாது. இது கோடைகாலம். நல்ல வெயில் அடிக்க வேண்டிய காலம். வெயில் அடிக்க வேண்டிய காலத்தில் மழை கொட்டுகிறது. அப்போது இது எதைக் காட்டுகிறதென்றால், பருவகாலங்கள் மாறிப் போய்விட்டதைக் காட்டுகிறது. இன்னொன்றை இங்கு நான் குறிப்பிட ஆசைப்படுகிறேன். 1987-ல் இயற்கை விவசாயப் பயிற்சிக்குப் போனேன். அங்கு ஒரு பெரியவர் வந்திருந்தார். சுற்றுச்சூழல் கழகத்தினுடைய தலைவர் அவர். அவர் என்னிடம் ``இனிமேல் உங்கள் நாட்டில் பருவ மழையே பெய்யாதென்று'' சொன்னார். இதை அவர் 1987-ல் சொன்னார்.

ஏன் என்று நான் கேட்டதற்கு, ``உங்களுடைய மேற்குத் தொடர்ச்சி மலை 3 ஆயிரம் அடி உயரத்தில் இருக்கிறது. அதில் 300 அடி உயரத்திற்கு மரங்கள் எல்லாம் இருக்கின்றன. அது அரபிக் கடலிலிருந்து வருகின்ற ஈரக் காற்றையெல்லாம் மேகமாக மாற்றி, மழையாக மாற்றி கீழே இறக்குகிறது. அந்த மழை நீரை பூமியில் இறக்கி பிறகு ஆற்றில் நீராக ஓடுகிறது. அந்த மரங்களையெல்லாம் நீங்கள் வெட்டிவிட்டு, இடுப்பளவு உயரமுள்ள `டீ' தோட்டம் போட்டு விட்டீர்கள். இன்னமும் போட்டுக் கொண்டிருக்கிறீர்கள். இன்னமும் குறையவே இல்லை அது. அதற்குப் பிறகு முழங்கால் உயரத்திற்கு உருளைக்கிழங்கு செடிகளை நடுகிறீர்கள். ஒரு ஜான் உயரத்திற்கு முட்டைக்கோஸ், காலிஃபிளவர் எல்லாம் பயிர் செய்து கொண்டிருக்கிறீர்கள். அதனுடைய விளைவு அரபிக்கடலிலிருந்து வரக் கூடிய ஈரக் காற்றை மேகமாக மாற்ற முடியவில்லை. மழையாக மாற்ற முடியவில்லை. அப்படியே தப்பித் தவறி மழை பெய்து ஓடுகின்ற தண்ணீரைத் தடுத்து நிறுத்த முடியவில்லை. ஆகவே எங்குப் பார்த்தாலும் வெள்ளம். ஆக, இனி உங்களுக்கு புயல் மழைதான் வரும். பருவ மழை வருவதற்கு வாய்ப்பில்லை'' என்று சொன்னார் அவர். அவர் சொன்ன அன்றிலிருந்து தொடர்ந்து உற்றுக் கவனித்துக் கொண்டுதான் வருகிறேன். அதே தான் நடந்து கொண்டிருக்கிறது. நான் போகின்ற அத்தனை கூட்டங்களிலும் சொல்லிக் கொண்டிருக்கிறேன். நான் எழுதும் அத்தனை கட்டுரைகளிலும் எழுதி கொண்டுதான் இருக்கின்றேன். யாராவது இதை வாசித்து உணர மாட்டார்களா? தவறைத் திருத்திக் கொள்ள மாட்டார்களா? என்று. ஆனால் யாரும் யோசித்த மாதிரி தெரியவில்லை. தொடர்ந்து காடு அழிக்கப்படுகின்ற செய்தி வந்து கொண்டுதான் இருக்கிறது. அதற்கென்று ஒரு இலாக்கா இருக்கிறது. ஒரு துறை இருக்கிறது. காட்டை பாதுகாப்பதற்காகவே பணமெல்லாம் செலவழிக்கிறார்கள். அந்த நிகழ்ச்சிகளுக்கு மந்திரிகள் எல்லாம் கூட வருகிறார்கள். ஆனாலும் அழிக்கப்படும் காடுகள் பற்றி எந்த அக்கறையும் இல்லை. இதன் மூலம் உண்டான விளைவுகளைத்தான் இன்றைக்கு நாம் சந்தித்துக் கொண்டிருக்கிறோம்.

இந்த மரங்கள் மொத்தம் இரண்டு வேலைகளைச் செய்கின்றன. ஒன்று: நமக்கு உணவளிக்கிறது. நம் கால் நடைகளுக்கு உணவளிக்கிறது. இரண்டு: நம்முடைய கரிக் காற்றை உள்வாங்கிக் கொண்டு சுத்தமான காற்றாக மாற்றி திரும்ப நமக்கே அளிக்கிறது. இன்று நாம் என்ன செய்கிறோம்? சாலையோரங்களில் இருக்கின்ற மரங்களையெல்லாம் வெட்டிச் சாய்த்து விட்டு ரோட்டை அகலப்படுத்துகிறோம். எதற்கு ரோட்டை அகலமாக்குகிறோம். வண்டி வேகமாகப் போவதற்காக. அப்போது வாகனத்திலிருந்து நிறைய புகை வெளியேறப் போகிறது. அந்தப் புகையை உறிஞ்சுவதற்கு வேண்டிய மரங்கள் இல்லாமல் போய்க் கொண்டிருக்கிறது. ஏதோ இங்கு மட்டும் நடக்கின்ற நிகழ்ச்சி இல்லை இது. உலகம் முழுக்க நடக்கின்ற நிகழ்ச்சி. ஆனால் பாதிப்பு என்பது நமக்குத்தான் அதிகமாக இருக்கும். ஏனென்றால், தென்னிந்தியாவிலுள்ள ஐந்து மாநிலங்களில் தமிழ்நாடுதான் தண்ணீர் குறைந்த மாநிலம்.

இன்றுள்ள நிலையில் இமயமலையே உருகி ஓடி வந்து கொண்டிருக்கிறது. கங்கை ஆற்றிற்கும் காவிரி ஆற்றிற்கும் உள்ள வித்தியாசம் என்ன தெரியுமா? காவிரியில் மழை பெய்தால் தண்ணீர் வரும். கங்கையில் பனி உருகினால் தண்ணீர் வருகிறது. கோடை காலத்தில் கங்கையில் தண்ணீர் வருகிறது. அதனால் அங்கு விளைச்சல் என்னவோ அதிகமாகவே இருக்கும். ஆனால் இப்படியே இமயமலையில் பனிமலை உருகிக் கொண்டே போனால், நாளை கங்கையிலேயே தண்ணீர் வராது. இப்படியே உருகிக் கொண்டு வந்தால் வங்காள விரிகுடாவின் கடல் மட்டம் உயரும். அப்போது சென்னை பாதி இல்லாமல் போய்விடும். கடலூர் பாதி இல்லாமல் போய்விடும். நாகப்பட்டினம் இல்லாமல் போய்விடும். கன்னியாகுமரி இல்லாமல் போய்விடும். இதைக் கூட யோசிக்க கூடிய அளவிற்கு அந்தப் பதவியிலும், அந்தப் பொறுப்பிலேயும் இருப்பவர்களுக்கு அறிவில்லை. அதையெல்லாவற்றையும்தான் இவை கூட்டிக் காட்டுகின்றன.

தீராநதி: காடுகள் அழிக்கப்பட்டு வருவதைப் பற்றியும், மரங்கள் வெட்டப்படுவதினால் உண்டாகும் விளைவுகளைப் பற்றியும் பேசினீர்கள். எனக்குத் தெரிந்து சமீபத்தில் நடத்தப்பட்ட ஒரு ஆய்வறிக்கையின் படி இந்தியாவில் பல்வேறு மாநிலங்களை விட, தமிழகத்தின் ஆனைமலை, முதுமலையில் புலியின் வளர்ச்சி விகிதம் அதிகமாக இருப்பதாக கணக்கிடப்பட்டுள்ளது. காட்டு கணக்கீட்டின் விவரப்படி புலி உள்ள ஒரு காடு ஆரோக்கியமான காடாக கணக்கிடப்படுகிறது. ஒரு காட்டில் ஒரு புலி உள்ளதென்றால், பல நூறு மான்களும், காட்டு எறுமைகளும் அந்தக் காட்டில் வசிக்கின்றன என்பது பொருள். ஏழெட்டுப் புலிகள் உள்ள காட்டில் மான்கள், காட்டு எறுமைகள், யானைகள், ஓநாய்கள், பன்றிகள், நரிகள் என்று ஆயிரக்கணக்கான விலங்கினங்கள் வாழ்வதாக பொருள் கொள்ளப்படும். ஏனென்றால், பல்வேறு விலங்கினங்கள் இருந்தால்தான் அவற்றை வேட்டையாடி ஒரு புலி ஆரோக்கியமாக வாழமுடியும். அதே போல சோலைக் காடுகளில் மணல்களின் உற்பத்தி ஒரு இன்ஞ்ச் வளர்ந்திருப்பதாக ஆர்வலர்கள் சொல்கிறார்கள் (தகவல் : ஓசை என்ஜிஓ). இவையெல்லாம் நீங்கள் அறிந்த ஒன்று தான். என்னுடைய கேள்வி என்னவென்றால்... மற்ற மாநிலத்தைக் காட்டிலும் வனப்பகுதிகளின் வளர்ச்சி விகிதம் தழைத்து வரும் மாநிலத்தின் மத்திய அமைச்சர் ஈ.வி.கே.எஸ். இளங்கோவன் சத்தியமங்கல காட்டைக் கிழித்து இரயில் பாதை அமைக்க வேண்டும் என்கிறார். வன உயிரினங்கள் ஜீவிக்கக்கூடிய வனப்பகுதிக்குள் மனித குல சௌகர்யத்திற்காக நிறைவேற்றப்படும் இந்தத் திட்டத்திற்கு எதிராகக் குரல் கொடுக்கும் சுற்றுச் சூழல் ஆர்வலர்களை நாட்டின் முன்னேற்றத்திற்கு தடையானவர்கள் என்று குறிப்பிட்டிருக்கிறார். சுற்றுச்சூழல் பற்றிய போதிய படிப்பறிவே இல்லாத மந்திரிகள் இருக்கும் நாட்டைப் பற்றி நீங்கள் என்ன சொல்கிறீர்கள்?

நம்மாழ்வார் : இதில் உங்களுடைய வார்த்தைகளைக் கொஞ்சம் மாற்றிச் சொல்ல வேண்டுமென்று நினைக்கிறேன். படிப்பறிவு என்பது வேறு. கல்வி அறிவு என்பது வேறு. படிப்பறிவின்போது என்ன செய்கிறோம் என்றால், அடுத்தவர்களின் அறிவை நாம் உள் வாங்குகிறோம். கல்வியறிவு என்பது உள்ளே இருக்கின்ற ஆற்றல் வெளியில் வருவது இரண்டும் நேர் எதிரானது. நம்முடைய நாட்டில் நிறைய படித்து விட்டார்கள். அதனால்தான் அறிவே இல்லை. அறிவு என்பதென்னவென்றால், தொட்டணைத் தூறும் மணற்கேணி. அந்த மணற்கேணியில் தோண்டத் தோண்ட தண்ணீர் வருவது மாதிரி உள்ளிருந்து அறிவு வெளிப்பட வேண்டும். இங்கு அறிவே வெளிப்படவில்லை. அதற்குப் பதிலாக இவர்கள் சந்தர்ப்பவாதிகளாக இருக்கிறார்கள். இந்த நேரத்தில், நாம் எதைப் பேசினால் மக்களுடைய ஆதரவு எனக்கு கொஞ்சம் கூட வரும். என்னுடைய பெட்டியில் இன்னும் கொஞ்சம் ஓட்டு விழும். அதை மட்டும்தான் யோசித்துப் பேசுகிறார்களே ஒழிய வேறு எதையும் யோசித்துப் பேசவே இல்லை. மக்களுக்கு நலமென்றால் அது எதில் இருக்க முடியுமென்றால் குறிஞ்சி, குறிஞ்சியாக இருக்க வேண்டும். முல்லை, முல்லையாக இருக்க வேண்டும். மருதம், மருதமாக இருக்க வேண்டும். நெய்தல், நெய்தலாக இருக்க வேண்டும். இதை இளங்கோவடிகள் அந்தக் காலத்திலேயே சொல்லி இருக்கிறார். தொல்காப்பியத்தில் சொல்லி இருக்கிறது. திருவள்ளுவருக்கு 133 அடிக்கு சிலை வைத்திருக்கிறோம். திருவள்ளுவர் என்ன சொன்னார் என்பது பற்றி யோசிக்கவே இல்லை. ``மணிநீரும் மண்ணும் மலையும் அணிநிழற் காடும் உடையது அரண்'' என்று சொல்லி இருக்கிறார். நம்முடைய பாதுகாப்பு என்றால், அது காடும் சேர்ந்ததுதான். காடு இருந்தால்தான் தண்ணீர் வரும். தண்ணீர் இருந்தால்தான் மக்களுக்கு வாழ்க்கை இருக்கும். ஆக, மக்களுக்கு அறிவில்லை. ரோடு போட்டு முன்னேறுவதைத் தடுக்கிறார்கள் என்று ஒருவர் பேசினால் இதைவிட முட்டாள் தனம் ஒன்று இருக்கவே முடியாது. நம்முடைய மடமைக்கு அளவே இல்லை. நாம் செய்ய வேண்டியதெல்லாம் பெரும்பாலான மக்களுக்கு இந்த அறிவைக் கொண்டு போய் சேர்த்து இதனால் நமக்கு அழிவு வரும் என்ற உணர்வை அவர்களுக்கு ஏற்படுத்தி, பிறகு நாம் எல்லோரும் சேர்ந்து வரப்போகும் அழிவைத் தடுத்து நிறுத்த வேண்டும் என்ற உணர்வைத்தான். அந்த வேலையை மட்டும் தான் இப்போதைக்கு நம்மால் செய்ய முடியும்.

நாம் இவ்வளவு பேசுகிறோம் இல்லையா? இவையெல்லாம் ஆட்சியில் உள்ளவர்களுக்குத் தெரியாதென்று நாம் சொல்ல முடியாது. எல்லோரும் மனு கொடுத்திருக்கிறார்கள். எல்லோரிடமும் மனு கொடுக்கப்பட்டிருக்கிறது. பத்திரிகைகளில் செய்தி வெளி வந்திருக்கிறது. இவையெல்லாம் அறிந்து கொண்ட பிறகும், இவர்கள் செய்யும் தவறுகளைக் குறைத்துக் கொள்ளவே இல்லை. ஒவ்வொரு தடவையும் கூட்டவே செய்கிறார்கள். உதாரணத்திற்கு: எங்கு பார்த்தாலும் தொழிற்சாலைகள். ஆற்றங்கரையெல்லாம் தொழிற்சாலைகள். ஆற்றங்கரையில் இருக்கின்ற தொழிற்சாலைகள் என்ன செய்கின்றன? ஆற்றிலிருக்கின்ற நீரை தொழிற்சாலையின் உள்ளே இழுத்துக் கொள்கிறது. மறுபடியும் தன்னுடைய கழிவு நீரையெல்லாம் ஆற்றினுள் விடுகிறது. இந்தக் கொடுமை எந்த மந்திரிக்குத் தெரியாது சொல்லுங்கள்? எதிர்க் கட்சியாக இருக்கும் போது மந்திரிக்குத் தெரிகிறது. ஆளுங்கட்சியான பின்பு தெரியமாட்டேன் என்கிறது. ஆக, அவர்களின் நடத்தையில், பண்பிலுள்ள குறைபாட்டை நாம் பார்க்கிறோம். அதைத் தடுத்து நிறுத்தவே முடியாது. குற்றவாளிகளை நீங்கள் குற்றவாளி என்று சொன்னால், அவர்களுக்குக் கோபம் வரும். ஆனால் ஒரு குடியாட்சி நாட்டில் குற்றங்களைத் தடுத்து நிறுத்துவதற்கு மக்களுக்கு மட்டும் தான் அதிகாரம் இருக்கிறது. மக்கள் இதைப் புரிந்து கொண்டார்கள் என்றால், மக்களே இதைத் தடுத்து நிறுத்துவார்கள். நம்முடைய வேலை அங்குதான் இருக்கிறது.

littlemaster1982
1st June 2008, 11:49 AM
நம்மாழ்வார்-தீராநதி நேர்காணல் - 2

தீராநதி : தொழிற்சாலைகள் மூலமாக நடக்கின்ற சீர்கேடுகளைப் பற்றி விரிவாகப் பேசினீர்கள். இந்தத் தருணத்தில் சமீபத்தில் நடந்த நந்திகிராம் பிரச்னை என் ஞாபகத்திற்கு வருகிறது. 1946-47 காலங்களில் நிலப்பிரபுத்தத்துவத்திற்கு எதிரான `தெபாகா' போராட்டத்தின் வீரமிக்க வரலாற்றிற்குச் சொந்தக்காரர்கள் அம்மக்கள். நந்திகிராமில் 1942-டிசம்பர் 17ஆம் நாள் இருப்புக்கு வந்த ஜட்டியா சர்க்கார் (மக்கள் அரசு) 1944 டிசம்பர் வரை நீடித்தது. மகாத்மா காந்தியின் வேண்டுகோளின்படி 1944-ம் ஆண்டு செப்டம்பர் 1 அன்று இந்தப் போட்டி அரசு கலைக்கப்பட்டது. இப்படி நெடிய பாரம்பரியமுள்ள ஒரு மக்கட் கூட்டத்தினை, பெரும் முதலாளிகளுக்காக பொருளாதார வளர்ச்சி, என்ற பெயரில் சூறையாடியது இந்திய கம்யூனிஸ்ட் கட்சி (மார்க்ஸிஸ்ட்) ஆளும் மேற்கு வங்க அரசு. ஏறக்குறைய 150,000 பேர் வாழ்வாதாரத்திற்காக சார்ந்திருக்கும் நிலத்தை அபகரித்து சுமார் ஆயிரத்திற்கும் மேலான நபர்களுக்கு வேலை தருவதாக கூறியது. இதே கருத்தியலுக்குள் தமிழக அரசு வரத் தொடங்கி இருக்கிறது. இதில் நடக்கும் மோசடிகள் குறித்துப் பேசுங்களேன்?

நம்மாழ்வார்: நீங்கள் நிறைய உட்கட்சி அரசியலுக்குள் சென்றுவிட்டீர்கள். இந்த நேரத்தில் உட்கட்சி அரசியலை விமர்சிப்பது சரியாக இருக்காது. ஆனால் நான் ஒன்றைச் சொல்கிறேன் கேளுங்கள்: காந்தி என்ன நந்திகிராமுக்கு மட்டுமா இருந்தார். இந்தியா முழுவதற்கும்தான் சுதந்திரம் கேட்டார். இந்தியா முழுவதும் காந்தியவழியில்தான் போய்க் கொண்டிருந்தது. ஆனால், இன்றைக்கு இந்தியா காந்திய வழியில் போய் கொண்டிருக்கிறதா? காந்தியைக் குழி தோண்டிப் புதைக்கின்ற வேலைகளை மட்டும்தான் செய்து கொண்டிருக்கிறது. அப்படி பார்த்துக் கொள்ளுங்கள் இதை.

தீராநதி : நீங்கள் சொல்வது புரிகிறது. ஆனால், நந்திகிராம் என்பது பெரிய பாரம்பரியம் உள்ள பகுதி அது...

நம்மாழ்வார் : இடத்தையும், ஆளையும் குறிப்பிடாதீர்கள். இன்றைக்கு காந்தி பெயரைச் சொல்பவர்கள்தான் ஆட்சியில் உட்கார்ந்திருக்கிறார்கள். ஒவ்வொரு அக்டோபர் இரண்டாம் தேதியும், ஒவ்வொரு ஜனவரி 30_ம் தேதியும் காந்தி சமாதியில் போய் மலர்வளையம் வைப்பதுதான் இவர்களுடைய வேலையாகவே இருக்கிறது. அன்றைய தினம் ஒவ்வொரு ஆட்களும் போய் மலர்வளையம் வைத்துவிட்டு வந்ததுதான் செய்தித்தாள்கள் முழுவதும் செய்தியாக வெளி வருகிறது. எல்லா நான்கு ரோடுகளும் சந்திக்கும் இடத்தில் சிலையாக உட்கார்ந்திருக்கிறார் காந்தி. இவருக்கு மாலை போடுவதுதான் இவர்களுக்கு பெரிய வேலையாக இருக்கிறது. அப்போது இந்தியா முழுமைக்குமாக யோசியுங்கள்? யார் காந்தியின் தோள் மீது ஏறி நிற்கிறார்களோ அவர்களே காந்தியைப் புதைத்துக் கொண்டு இருக்கிறார்கள். ஆக, எந்த ஒரு குறிப்பிட்ட கட்சியைப் பற்றியும் நாம் இங்குப் பேச வேண்டாம்.

தீராநதி : சரி, எந்த ஒரு குறிப்பிட்ட கட்சியைப் பற்றியும் பேச வேண்டாம். ஒட்டுமொத்த இந்திய அரசியல் பற்றியே பேசுங்கள்?

நம்மாழ்வார் : ஒட்டுமொத்த இந்திய அரசியல் மக்கள் விரோத போக்காக போய்க் கொண்டிருக்கிறது. இந்த மண்ணிற்கு விரோதமான போக்கில் போய்க்கொண்டிருக்கிறது. நம்முடைய வரலாற்றை குழிதோண்டி புதைக்கிறது. அப்படி எடுத்துக்கொள்ளுங்கள்.

தீராநதி : தொழிற்சாலைகளுக்காக தாரை வார்க்கப்படும் விளைநிலங்கள் பிற்காலத்தில் என்ன மாதிரியான பாதிப்பை ஏற்படுத்தும்?

நம்மாழ்வார்: இன்றைக்கு நம்முடைய தமிழ்நாடு அரசு, செய்தித் தாள்களில் எத்தனையோ லட்சம் ஏக்கர் நிலங்களை விவசாயிகளுக்குக் கொடுத்திருக்கிறோம் என்று சொல்லி இருக்கிறது. என்ன கொடுத்திருக்கிறது? ஒன்றிற்கும் உதவாத நிலத்தைக் கொடுத்திருக்கிறது. அதாவது, விவசாயத்திற்கு உதவாத நிலத்தைக் கொடுத்திருக்கிறது. சுடுகாட்டு பூமியைக் கொடுத்திருக்கிறது. அவர்களே சொல்கிறார்கள். `நிலத்தை நாங்கள் திருத்திக் கொடுத்திருக்கிறோம்' என்று. ஆனால் மத்தியில் இருக்கின்ற உணவு அமைச்சரும், நிதியமைச்சரும் பிரதமரும் சேர்ந்து என்ன சொல்லி இருக்கிறார்கள். ``சின்ன விவசாயி நிலத்தை விட்டு வெளியில் போய்விட வேண்டும்'' என்று சொல்லி இருக்கிறார்கள். யாரை நிலத்தை விட்டுப் போய்விட வேண்டும் என்று மத்தியில் உள்ளவர்கள் சொல்லி இருக்கிறார்களோ அவர்களுக்கு நிலத்தைக் கொடுத்திருக்கிறார்கள். அப்போது என்ன செய்யப் போகிறார்கள் என்றால், நிலத்தை பிடுங்கிக் கொள்ளப் போகிறார்கள். நிறைய வசதியாக இருப்பவன் நிறைய நிலம் வைத்திருக்கிறான். காலங்காலமாக விவசாயம் நடந்து வரும் நிலம். ஆற்றோரத்து நிலம். விளைச்சல் நிலம். இப்போது அதை விற்பதற்கு அவன் தயாராக இருக்கிறான். அதை வாங்கியல்லவா சின்ன விவசாயிக்குக் கொடுக்க வேண்டும்? விவசாயத்திற்கு லாயக்கு இல்லாத நிலத்தைக் கொடுத்தால் அவன் `இது' விவசாயத்திற்கு லாயக்கற்றது என்று போட்டுவிட்டுப் போய் விடுவான். அதைப் புடுங்கி தொழிற்சாலைகளுக்குக் கொடுத்துவிடலாம். மறுபடியும் தொழிற்சாலைகளுக்குக் கொடுப்பதற்காகவேதான் இந்த `தரம்' குறைந்த நிலங்களை சிறு விவசாயிகளுக்குக் கொடுத்துக் கொண்டிருக்கிறார்கள். எதையுமே மக்கள் நலத்திற்காகவே செய்யவில்லை. நீங்களே யோசித்துப் பாருங்கள்?

அப்புறம் இன்னொன்றைப் பார்ப்போமா? இந்த நாட்டில் இன்னமும் 28 கோடி பேர் பசியோடு தூங்கப் போகிறார்கள். 28 கோடி பேர்! இவர்கள் சதவீதம் சதவீதம் என்று சொல்வார்கள். சதவீதத்தில் சொன்னால் உங்களுக்குப் பெரியதாகத் தெரியாது. 75 சதவீதம் ஐந்து வயதிற்கு உட்பட்ட குழந்தைகளுக்கு `சோகை' நோய் இருக்கிறது. இரத்தத்தில் இரும்புச் சத்து இல்லை. 57 சதவீதம் குழந்தைகளுக்கு கண் பார்வை சரியாக இல்லை. வைட்டமின் `கி' பற்றாக் குறையாக இருக்கிறது. இதற்கு என்ன காரணமென்றால், தாய் வயிற்றில் இருக்கும் போதிலிருந்தே அந்தக் குழந்தைகளுக்கு சத்தான உணவு கிடைக்கவில்லை. நம்மால் சத்தான உணவைக் கொடுக்க முடியவில்லை. அப்புறம் எதை வைத்து `வளர்ந்து விட்டோம். வளர்ந்து விட்டோம்' என்று சொல்கிறார்கள்? பெரும்பாலான மக்களுக்கு என்ன இல்லையென்று பார்த்தோமேயானால், அவர்களுக்கு என்று தனி சொத்து கிடையாது. அப்போது அவர்கள் பொது ஆதாரத்தை நம்பி இருக்கிறார்கள். அவர்களின் ஆடு பொது இடத்தில் மேய வேண்டி இருக்கிறது. அவர்களின் மாடு பொது இடத்தில் மேய வேண்டி இருக்கிறது. இவர்கள் விறகை பொது இடத்திலிருந்து எடுக்க வேண்டி இருக்கிறது. தண்ணீரை பொது இடத்திலிருந்து எடுக்க வேண்டி இருக்கிறது. அதையெல்லாவற்றையும் தனியாரிடத்தில், ஒரு முதலாளி இடத்தில் ஒப்படைத்துக் கொண்டே இருக்கிறார்கள். அப்போது வறுமைக் கோட்டிற்கு உள்ளே இருக்கின்ற கோடானுக்கோடி மக்களை அழிவை நோக்கித் தள்ளிக் கொண்டே இருக்கிறார்கள். அவர்களை விளிம்புக்கு வெளியே இருக்கின்ற மக்கள் என்று சொல்வார்கள். அவர்களை மேலும் சாவை நோக்கித் தள்ளுவதற்குத்தான் இந்தத் திட்டங்கள் எல்லாம் செல்லுபடியாகும். ஆக, கிராமங்களில் இருக்கின்ற நிலங்கள் மூன்றே மூன்றிற்குத்தான் பயன்படுத்தப்பட வேண்டும். ஒன்று: மழைநீர் பெருக்கெடுத்து ஓடி கடலில் கலக்காதபடி அங்கேயே குளம் வெட்டுவதற்குப் பயன்படுத்த வேண்டும். இரண்டு : அங்குள்ள ஆடு, மாடுகள் மேய்வதற்காக மேய்ச்சல் நிலங்களை உண்டு பண்ண பயன்படுத்த வேண்டும். மூன்று. : அங்கேயும் காற்று சுத்தமாக, மழை வர, குளிர்ச்சி நிலவ வேண்டும் என்பதற்காக மரங்களை நட பயன்படுத்த வேண்டும். இந்த மூன்றிற்கும் தவிர, வேறு எதற்கும் கிராமத்தின் நிலத்தை இவர்கள் கொடுக்கிறார்கள் என்றால், வேறு ஏதோ ஆதாயம் கருதி செய்கிறார்கள் என்று அர்த்தமே தவிர நாட்டு நலனுக்காக செய்வதற்காக அல்ல; அப்படித்தான் நாம் பார்க்க வேண்டும்.

littlemaster1982
1st June 2008, 12:10 PM
நம்மாழ்வார்-தீராநதி நேர்காணல் - 3

தீராநதி : இலவச நில மனைப்பட்டாக்கள் பற்றி நீங்கள் பேசியதால் எனக்கு அமார்த்யா சென் சொன்ன தகவல் ஒன்று நினைவுக்கு வருகிறது. அமார்த்யா சென், இந்தியா மற்றும் பிற நாடுகளில் பஞ்சங்கள் குறித்து ஆராய்ந்துள்ளார். உணவு கிடைக்காமையினால் பஞ்சம் உருவாகவில்லை என்று அவரது நூலில் நிரூபித்திருக்கிறார். நிலப்பட்டா வழங்குவதில் உள்ள கோளாறுகளே பஞ்சங்களின் காரணம் என அதில் வாதிடவும் செய்கிறார். இந்தியாவில் பட்டினிச் சாவுக்குப் பலியாவது உணவு இல்லாததால் அல்ல; இருக்கும் உணவுக்கான உரிமை அவர்களுக்கு இல்லாததே. இன்று ஆப்பிரிக்கா, சஹாரா பகுதி முழுவதும் உள்ளதை விடக் கூடுதலான இந்தியர்கள் போதிய ஊட்டமின்மையால் பாதிக்கப்பட்டுள்ளனர். இந்தியக் குழந்தைகளில் பாதிப்பேருக்கு மேல் போதிய எடையின்றி உள்ளனர் என்கிறார் அவர். சர்வதேசக் குழந்தை உணவுச் செயல்பாட்டுக் கூட்டிணைவு (மிஙிதிகிழி இன்டர்நேஷனல் பேபி ஃபுட் ஆக்ஸன் நெட்வொர்க்) என்ற அமைப்பு மூன்றாம் உலக நாடுகளில் ஒவ்வொரு 30 விநாடியும் ஒரு குழந்தை பாதுகாப்பற்ற புட்டிப்பால் அருந்தி இறக்கிறது என்ற தகவலை வெளியிட்டிருக்கிறது. இதையெல்லாம் தடுத்து நிறுத்த நாம் என்ன செய்தால் தகும் என்று நீங்கள் அறிவுரை சொல்ல முடியுமா?

நம்மாழ்வார்: அமார்த்யா சென் சொல்லும் சில தகவல்கள் நமக்கு உபயோகமாக இருக்கிறது. இது ஆட்சியாளர்களின் கண்களைத் திறப்பதற்கு உபயோகப்படும். அதற்கு மேல் உபயோகப்படாது. ஏனென்றால், வெளிநாட்டில் படித்து விட்டு வெளிநாட்டில் உள்ளதைப் போல இங்கேயும் பொருளாதார கணக்குகளையெல்லாம் போட்டுக் கொண்டிருக்கிறார். அவர் சொல்வதில் மிக முக்கியமான விஜயம். ``நாம் வெட்கப்பட வேண்டிய ஒரு சூழ்நிலையில் இருக்கிறோம். ரொம்ப வளமான நாடு கலிபோர்னியா. வளமே இல்லாத இடம் சஹாரா பாலைவனம். இந்த இரண்டும் இந்தியாவில் இருக்கிறது. அப்போது இதை எப்படி ஒரு தேசம் என்று சொல்லுவீர்கள். ஒன்றுமே இல்லாத மக்கள் ஏராளமாக இருக்கிறார்கள். வசதியைக் குவித்துக் கொண்ட சில மக்கள் மேலே இருக்கிறார்கள். ஆக, கலிபோர்னியாவும் இங்கு இருக்கிறது. சஹாராவும் இங்கே இருக்கிறது'' என்று சொல்கிறார் அமார்த்யா சென். அதை அப்படியே நாம் எடுத்துக் கொள்வோம். ஏனென்றால் அது ரொம்ப நல்ல விஷயம். ஒரு பொருளாதார மேதை பார்வையில் பட்டிருக்கிறது.

இன்னொன்றையும் அவர் சொல்கிறார். ``பள்ளிக்கூடத்தில் குழந்தைகளின் எண்ணிக்கை குறைவாக இருக்கிறது. வீடுகளில் பூட்டு தொங்குகிறது. ஏனென்றால் வாழ வழியின்றி குடும்பம் இடம் பெயருகிறது. கூடவே குழந்தைகளும் போக வேண்டி இருக்கிறது. ஒரு குழந்தைக்கு ஐந்தாம் வகுப்பு வரையாவது படிப்பு சொல்லிக் கொடுக்க முடியவில்லை'' என்று அவர் வருத்தப்படுகிறார். ஆனால் நான் என்ன சொல்கிறேன் என்றால், ஐந்தாம் வகுப்பு வரை படித்து என்ன செய்யப் போகிறது அந்தப் பிள்ளை. இங்கு பி.ஏ., வரை படித்தவன் என்ன செய்துவிட்டான். இதை ஒரு அளவாகப் பார்ப்பதில் ஒரு பிரயோஷனமும் கிடையாது. இந்தியா ஒன்றும் இங்கிலாந்து அல்ல; இங்கிலாந்தில் நான்கு மாதங்கள்தான் வெயில் அடிக்கும். இங்கு 12 மாதமும் வெயில் அடிக்கிறது. ஒருவனிடம் தண்ணீரையும் நிலத்தையும் கொடுத்துவிட்டால் அந்தக் குடும்பம் எப்படியாவது பிழைத்துக் கொள்ளும். அந்தக் குடும்பத்தில் உள்ள குழந்தை முதல் வயதானவன் வரை அந்நிலத்தில் வேலை செய்வார்கள். அவ்வளவு ஏன் அவன் கழிக்கும் மலம் ஜலமே செடி கொடிகளை வளர்த்து விடும். அதானே எரு. அவன் வைத்திருக்கும் ஆடு சாணி போடும். மாடு சாணி போடும். ஆட்டு பாலை குழந்தை குடிக்கும். மாடு கொடுக்கும் பால் தயிராகி அவர்களின் சாப்பாட்டிற்கு சேரும். சக்தி தரும் ஒரு முருங்கை மரம் போதும் அவர்களுக்கு. ஒரு பப்பாளி மரம் போதும் அவர்களுக்கு. இவர்களுக்கு நிலமே இல்லாத வேலைகளைத்தான் இந்த வளர்ச்சித் திட்டங்கள் எல்லாம் செய்கிறது. உடனடியாக நாம் செய்ய வேண்டியது என்னவென்றால், இன்றைக்கு வளர்ச்சித் திட்டம் என்று எதை எதையோ செய்து கொண்டிருக்கிறோமே, அதை உடனடியாக நிறுத்திவிட வேண்டும். போட்டதை அப்படியே போட்டு விட்டுத் திரும்பி நிற்க வேண்டும். எங்கிருந்து நாம் தப்பு செய்தோமோ அந்த இடத்திற்குத் திரும்பிப் போனதற்கு பிற்பாடுதான் வளர்ச்சியைப் பற்றி யோசிக்க வேண்டும். உதாரணத்திற்கு எங்கு நம்முடைய தப்பு ஆரம்பித்ததென்றால், `பசுமைப் புரட்சி'யில்தான் ஆரம்பித்தது. பசுமைப் புரட்சிக்கு முன்னால் என்ன நடந்ததென்றால், நான் என்னுடைய அப்பா நிலத்தில் வேலை செய்து கொண்டிருந்தேன். அப்போதெல்லாம் வயலில் வேலை செய்து விட்டுத்தான் பள்ளிக்கூடம் போக வேண்டும். பதினொன்றாம் வகுப்பு வரையிலும் அப்படித்தான் போனோம். அன்றைக்கு என்னுடைய அப்பா என்ன செய்யவில்லை என்றால் விவசாய உற்பத்திக்காக டவுனிலிருந்து எதையும் வாங்கவில்லை. அவர் டவுனிலிருந்து விவசாயத்திற்காக ஏதாவது வாங்கி இருந்தால் அது: கொழுவடிப்பதற்காக இரும்பு வாங்கி இருக்கிறார். கடப்பாறை வாங்கி இருக்கிறார். அறிவாள் வாங்கி இருக்கிறார். மண்வெட்டி வாங்கி இருக்கிறார். ஆக, இரும்புச் சாமான்கள் மட்டும்தான் வெளியில் வாங்கியது. மற்றபடி எங்கள் வயல்வெயில் இருக்கின்ற இலை தழைகளையே எருவாகப் பயன்படுத்திக் கொண்டோம். வரப்புகளில் இருந்த மரத்தை வைத்தே வீட்டிற்கு கட்டில், ஜன்னல், கதவு, பீரோ, வண்டி என்று சகலத்தையும் செய்து கொண்டோம். உள்ளூர் ஆசாரியார் இவற்றை அழகாக செய்து கொடுத்து விட்டார். நாங்கள் அதற்கு ஈடாக களத்தில் நெல் அடிக்கும் போது அரிசி, சாப்பாடு என்று கொடுத்துவிட்டோம். முடி திருத்தும் தொழிலாளியின் வீட்டுப் பெண்தான் எங்கள் குடும்பத்திற்கு மருத்துவம் பார்த்தார். அவருக்கு நெல் கொடுத்தோம். இராத்திரி சாப்பாடு எங்கள் வீட்டிலிருந்து தான் அவர் வீட்டிற்குப் போகும். இப்படித்தான் எல்லோரும் பகிர்ந்துண்டோம்.

எங்கள் அப்பா எங்கள் தாத்தா கொடுத்த இரண்டு ஏக்கர் நிலத்தை பத்து ஏக்கராக மாற்றி, அவரது நான்கு மகன்களுக்கும் ஆளுக்கு இரண்டு ஏக்கர் வீதம் பிரித்துக் கொடுத்தார். ஆனால், இன்றைக்கு என்ன நடக்கிறது? இரண்டு ஏக்கர் வைத்திருந்தால் ஒரு ஏக்கரை விற்று பையனை இஞ்ஜினீயரிங் காலேஜுக்கு அனுப்பிவிட்டு இன்னொரு ஏக்கரை விற்று மகளுக்குக் கல்யாணம் செய்து கொடுத்துவிட்டு விவசாயி ஓட்டாண்டியாக தெருவில் நிற்க வேண்டியதுதான். இதற்குக் காரணம் பசுமைப்புரட்சி. அந்தப் பசுமைப்புரட்சி என்பது எல்லாவற்றையும் வெளியில் வாங்கிச் செய்யும் விவசாயமாக மாற்றி விட்டது. கிராமத்தை உறிஞ்சுவது, சுரண்டுவது என்பது பசுமைப்புரட்சியிலிருந்துதான் ஆரம்பமானது.

littlemaster1982
1st June 2008, 12:12 PM
நம்மாழ்வார்-தீராநதி நேர்காணல் - 4

தீராநதி: அன்றைக்கு ஏற்பட்ட உணவு பற்றாக் குறையினால் பலர் செத்து மடிந்து கொண்டிருந்தார்கள். உணவு உற்பத்தி போதுமான தேவைக்கு ஏற்ற அளவில் இல்லை. ஆகவே பசுமைப்புரட்சி என்ற திட்டத்தால் தான் வறுமையை ஒழித்திருக்கிறோம். இந்த நிலைமையைச் சரி செய்திருக்கிறோம். அதிலிருந்து பிழைத்து மீண்ட தெம்பில்தான் இவர்கள் இன்றைக்கு விமர்சிக்கிறார்கள் என்று அந்தத் தரப்பிலிருந்து எதிர்வாதம் வருகிறதே?

நம்மாழ்வார்: நீங்கள் விவசாயம் படித்திருக்கிறீர்களா?

தீராநதி : இல்லை.

நம்மாழ்வார் : விவசாயம் செய்திருக்கிறீர்களா?

தீராநதி : இல்லை. (ஆனாலும் ஒரு விவசாயியாக வேண்டும் என்பதுதான் என் லட்சியம்.)

நம்மாழ்வார் : உங்களைப் போல உள்ளவர்களுக்குப் புரியவே புரியாது. ஏனென்றால், அவன் வந்து பொய் சொல்கிறான். இங்கே அரசியல்வாதிகள் இருக்கிறார்கள். மந்திரிகள் இருக்கிறார்கள். அவர்களுக்கு விவசாயம் தெரியாது. விஞ்ஞானமும் தெரியாது. அப்போது அவர் என்ன செய்கிறார். விஞ்ஞானியிடம்தான் யோசனை கேட்கிறார். அப்போது அந்த விஞ்ஞானி என்ன செய்ய வேண்டும்? விஞ்ஞான பூர்வமாக பதில் சொல்லவேண்டும். அன்றைக்கு ஏன் விளைச்சல் அதிகமாக இல்லை என்பதை விஞ்ஞானபூர்வமாக அவர் சொல்ல வேண்டும். அவன் விஞ்ஞானபூர்வமாக ஒரு பதிலைச் சொல்லாமல் இப்படி மேலோட்டமான ஒரு கேள்வியை உங்களிடம் கேட்கிறான். நான் வரலாறு முழுவதும் படித்திருக்கிறேன். நம்ம விவசாயப் பெண்ணிடம் உட்கார்ந்து பேசி இருக்கிறேன். விவசாயப் பெண் பள்ளிக்கூடம் போய் இருக்க மாட்டாள். அவள் ஒரு விடுகதை போட்டாள். என்ன விடுகதை போட்டாள். `அடி காட்டுல. நடு மாட்டுல. நுனி வீட்டுல.' அறுக்கும்போது அடியில் இருக்கின்ற கட்டையை காட்டில் விட்டோம். நடுவில் உள்ளது மாட்டிற்குச் சென்று விட்டது. நுனியில் உள்ளது வீட்டிற்கு வந்துவிட்டது. அடிக்கட்டைக்கு விவசாயி காசு செலவழிக்கவில்லை. நடுவில் இருந்த மாட்டிற்கு காசு செலவழிக்கவில்லை. வேண்டாததை மண்ணிற்குக் கொடுத்தார். வேண்டாததை மாட்டிற்குக் கொடுத்தார். பால் வீட்டிற்கு வந்தது. சாணி மண்ணிற்குப் போய்விட்டது. பயிர் விளைந்து கொண்டே இருந்தது. அப்போது விளைந்தது வீட்டில் இருந்தது. நீங்கள் கடனை வாங்கி, கடனுக்கு யூரியாவையும், டிஏபியையும் போட்டதால் நிறைய விளைந்திருக்கிறது. ஆனால், விவசாயி கையில் ஒன்றுமில்லை. ஏனென்றால் விளைந்ததை விற்று கடன் அடைத்திருக்கிறார். இன்றைக்கு நாடு முழுவதும் உள்ள 112 கோடி பேர்களில் 65 சதவீதம்பேர், அதாவது 73 கோடி பேர் கிராமத்தில்தான் உள்ளோம். இந்த 73 கோடி பேர்களை கிராமத்தில் பட்டினி போட்டுவிட்டு அப்புறம் என்ன நீங்கள் விளைய வைக்கவில்லை.. விளைய வைக்கவில்லை என்று வாயாடுகிறீர்கள். இங்கே எல்லோருக்கும் எங்கே சாப்பாடு போட்டீர்கள்.

இப்போது தானே சொன்னேன் 28 கோடி பேர் இன்னமும் பசியோடு தூங்கப் போய்க் கொண்டிருக்கிறார்கள் என்று. இதை நான் சொல்லவில்லையே? தேசிய உழவர் கமிஷன் தலைவர் சாமிநாதன் அவர்கள்தான் அறிக்கையாகக் கொடுத்திருக்கிறார். அந்த அறிக்கை மந்திரி சபையிலேயே இருக்கிறது. ஆக, பொய் சொல்வது நழுவுவது இதையெல்லாம் விஞ்ஞானிகள் செய்யக் கூடாது.

இந்த ரசாயனப் பொருட்களை நிலத்தில் போட்டதால் நிலம் உப்பாகப் போய் இனிமே ஒரு தானியம் கூட இருக்க முடியாது. இதை ஆரம்பித்ததே மிகவும் வளமான பகுதிகளில்தான் ஆரம்பித்தார்கள். இந்தியா முழுவதும் எங்கெல்லாம் ஆறுகள் நிறைய பாய்கின்றதோ அங்கே ஆரம்பித்தார்கள். வடக்கே ஒரு பஞ்சாப் இருக்கிறது. அங்கே ஐந்து ஆறு பாய்கிறது. அங்கே ஆரம்பித்தார்கள். இங்கே தென்னிந்தியாவில் ஒரு பஞ்சாப் இருக்கிறது. (பஞ்சாப் என்றால் ஐந்து ஆறுகள் என்று பொருள்) இங்கும் ஐந்து ஆறுகள் பாய்கிறது. அதுதான் திருவையாறு. நம்முடைய காவிரி வட்டம் முழுவதும் இதைப் புகுத்தினார்கள். எங்கெல்லாம் ஆறு பாய்ந்து செழிப்பாக இருந்ததோ அங்குதானே பசுமைப் புரட்சியை புகுத்தினீர்கள்? அங்கெல்லாம் இன்று ஒன்றும் விளையாத கட்டத்திற்குப் போய் விட்டது பூமி. அன்றைக்கு இதுதான் ஒரே வழி என்று சொன்னீர்களே? இது எப்படி சரியான வழியாகும்? அப்போது ஒவ்வொரு நாளுக்காகவும் ஒவ்வொரு திட்டத்தையா போடுவீர்கள்? இன்றைக்கு என்ன சொல்கிறார்கள். நிலைத்த, நீடித்த, வேளாண்மை என்கிறார்கள். நிலைத்த நீடித்த வளர்ச்சி என்கிறார்கள். நிலைத்த நீடித்த வளர்ச்சி என்னவென்றால், இன்றைய தேவைக்காக நீங்கள் ஒன்றைச் செய்ய வேண்டும். ஆனால் அது நாளைய தேவையைக் கெடுத்துவிடக் கூடாது. அதற்கு பெயர் தான் sustணீவீஸீணீதீறீமீ டெவலப்மெண்ட். அந்த சஸ்டைனபுலிட்டியை இப்போது இழந்து விட்டு நிற்கிறோம். ஆக, அன்றைக்கு அதைச் சரி என்று சொன்னது நியாயம்தானே என்றால், அதைவிட முட்டாள் தனம் வேறு எதுவும் கிடையாது.

அன்றைக்கு அமெரிக்காக்காரன் சொன்னதைப்போல சொன்னீர்கள். அதில் அமெரிக்காக்காரனுக்கு லாபம் இருக்கிறது. வட்டிக்குக் கொடுத்திருக்கிறான். அதற்காக உங்களிடமிருந்து வட்டி வாங்கிக் கொண்டிருக்கிறான். அவனுடைய ரசாயணப் பொருட்களையெல்லாம் நம்மிடம் விற்றிருக்கிறான். நம்முடைய பூமியை நாசமாக்கி இருக்கிறான். நம்முடைய நுகர்வோரை விஷமாக்கி இருக்கிறான். நுகர்வோர் என்றால் 112 கோடியும் நுகர்வோர்தான். மண்ணைக் கெடுத்திருக்கிறான். விவசாயியை பொருளாதார ரீதியாக நஷ்டத்தை ஏற்படுத்தி ஒரு லட்சத்து எழுபத்தைந்தாயிரம் பேர் கடந்த ஒரு பத்து வருடங்களுக்குள் தற்கொலை செய்துகொண்டிருக்கிறார்கள். இதுவரை இவ்வளவு பெரிய விவசாயிகள் தற்கொலை உலகத்தில் வேறு எந்தத் தேசத்திலும் நடந்திருக்க முடியாது. ஒருலட்சத்து எழுபத்தைந்தாயிரம் விவசாயிகள் இன்றைக்கு தற்கொலை செய்து கொண்டிருக்கிறார்கள் என்றால், அதற்கு தோற்றுவாய் பசுமைப்புரட்சியிலிருந்து தொடங்குகிறது.

வெள்ளையன் ஒரு இருநூறு ஆண்டுகள் நம்முடைய நாட்டை ஆண்டான். அவன் என்ன செய்தான் ஷமீன்தாரை நியமித்து விவசாயிகளிடமிருந்து நிலத்தையெல்லாம் புடுங்கிவிட்டான். தூக்கி ஷமீன்தார் கையில் கொடுத்துவிட்டான். அப்போது சுதந்திரப் போராட்ட காலத்திலிருந்தும் காந்தி காலத்திலிருந்தும் சுதந்திரம் வந்தால் நிலத்தை விவசாயிகளின் கையில் ஒப்படைப்போம் என்றார்கள். அதைச் செய்யவில்லை. ஆகையினாலே தான் பற்றாக்குறை. இன்றைக்கு வரை அந்த உண்மையை மூடி வைத்துக் கொண்டு பற்றாக்குறையால்தான் `பசுமைப் புரட்சி'யைக் கொண்டு வந்தோம் என்கிறார்கள். வரலாற்றையும் ஒழுங்காகப் படிக்கவில்லை. விஞ்ஞானத்தையும் ஒழுங்காகப் படிக்கவில்லை. வரலாற்றையும், விஞ்ஞானத்தையும் ஒழுங்காகப் பார்க்கவில்லை என்றால் நம் முன்னேற்றத்திற்கான எந்த வெளிச்சமும் நமக்குக் கிடைக்காது.

தீராநதி : இந்திய மக்கள் மேலை நாட்டு விஞ்ஞான தொழில்நுட்பத்துடன் தயாரிக்கப்படும் உணவுப் பொருட்கள், உணவு தானியங்கள்தான் சுத்தமானது, உடலுக்கு ஆரோக்கியமானது என்று நம்பும்படி மூளைச் சலவை செய்யப்பட்டிருக்கிறார்கள். காந்தியின் சுதேசி மனப்பான்மையை இந்தியர்களே தூக்கி எறிந்து விட்டார்கள். அல்ஜீரிய போராளி ஃபிரான்ஸ் ஃபனான் சுதேசி கொள்கையை அகப் பொருள் புறப் பொருள் என்று தனித்தனியே ஆராய்ந்து காந்தியின் பார்வையை மறு ஆய்வுக்குட்படுத்தி மேலும் ஆழமான சுதேசி கருத்தியலைக் கட்டமைக்கிறார். ஒரு நாட்டின் உண்மையான புரட்சியை விவசாயிகளிடம் இருந்துதான் ஆரம்பிக்க வேண்டும். அதுவே உண்மையான புரட்சியாக அமையும் என்றும் ஃபனான் குறிப்பிடுகிறார். கோபால் ஆசிரமம் என்ற புது ஆசிரமத்தை மீரா பென் நிறுவி சுற்றுச் சூழல் குறித்து போராடி வந்திருக்கிறார். அம்மக்களின் கதைப் பாடல்களில் பஞ்ஜ் எனப்படும் ஓக் மரங்கள் முற்றிலும் இன்று அழிக்கப்பட்டு விட்டதைக் கண்டறிந்தார். அதே போல அம்ரிதா தேவி தலைமையில் பிஷ்னோய் சமூகத்தினர் புனித `கேஜ்ரி' மரங்களை வெட்டுவதை எதிர்த்து அப்பழங்குடி மக்கள் மரங்களைக் கட்டியணைத்து வெட்ட விடாமல் உயிர்தியாகம் செய்தார்கள் என்பது நம் வரலாறு.

இன்றைக்கு மேதா பட்கர் இவ்விஷயத்தில் முன்னுதாரணமாக நிற்கிறார். தமிழகத்தில் நீங்கள் தீவிரமாக இயங்குகிறீர்கள். கென்ய நாட்டில் `கிரீன்பெல்ட்' இயக்கம் போல வலுவான அரசியல் இயக்கமாக மாறவேண்டிய தேவை நம் நாட்டில் உருவாகி இருக்கிறது? இதை எவ்வாறு சாத்தியமாக்கலாம் என்று நீங்கள் நினைக்கிறீர்கள்?

நம்மாழ்வார்: இன்றைக்கு நிறைய இயக்கங்கள் நம்நாட்டில் செயல்படுகின்றன. நீங்களே சொல்லி விட்டீர்களே. மேதா பட்கர் ஒரு இயக்கம் நடத்திக் கொண்டிருக்கிறார் என்று. வடக்கே வந்தனாசிவா ஊர் ஊராகப் போய் களப்பணி செய்து வருகிறார். இங்கு நாம் செய்து கொண்டிருக்கிறோம். ஆந்திராவில் டெக்கான் டெவலப்மெண்ட் சொஸைட்டி என்ற ஒரு அமைப்பு இயங்கி வருகிறது. அவர்கள் என்ன செய்தார்கள் என்றால், நிலத்தை விட்டு வெளியே நகரங்களுக்குக் கூலிகளாகச் சென்ற விவசாயிகளை அழைத்து மறுபடியும் நிலத்தில் விவசாயம் செய்யச் சொல்லி, நிலத்தை மேம்படுத்தி இழந்து போன தானியத்தையெல்லாம் உற்பத்தி செய்து, அங்கு தேவைக்கு மீறிய மகசூலை எட்டி அவர்களின் தேவைக்குப் போக அவர்களே மற்றவர்களுக்கு ரேஷன் அளிக்கிறார்கள். 2002 ஆம் ஆண்டு ஒரு கிராமத்தில் ஆரம்பித்தவர்ககள் இன்றைக்கு நூறு கிராமத்தில் இதைச் செய்து கொண்டிருக்கிறார்கள். இதே போல, கேரளத்தில் ஒரு கிராமத்தில் `தனல்' என்ற ஒரு இயக்கம் செயல்பட்டு வருகிறது. இந்த எல்லா இயக்கங்களும் ஒன்றுசேருகின்ற காலகட்டத்தில்தான் நாம் இன்றைக்கு இருக்கிறோம். இன்னும் கொஞ்ச காலங்களில் இவை ஒன்று சேரப்போகின்றன.

மக்களிடம் அறிவிருந்ததென்றால், எடுத்துச் சொன்னவுடன் அவன் மாறிவிடுவான். அறிவில்லை என்றால் அவன் கஷ்டங்களை அனுபவிக்கும் போதுதான் மாறுவான். இப்போது அவன் கஷ்டங்களை அனுபவிக்கின்ற காலகட்டம் வந்துவிட்டது. ஆக, மக்கள் மாறக்கூடிய நேரம் இது. விவசாயத்தைப் பொருத்த மட்டும் மற்றதிலிருந்து கொஞ்சம் வித்தியாசம் இருக்கிறது. மற்றவை எல்லாவற்றையும் பேசிதான் தீர்க்க வேண்டி இருக்கும். விவசாயம் என்பது செய்து காட்டி தீர்க்க வேண்டிய விஷயம். இன்றைக்கு தமிழ்நாட்டில் எனக்கு 100 பண்ணைகள் இருக்கின்றன. இந்த நூறு பண்ணைகளையும் பயிற்சி மையமாகப் பயன்படுத்துகிறோம் நாம். அதில் மக்கள் நேரடியாக வந்து பார்க்கிறார்கள். பார்த்ததை அவர்கள் தன்னுடைய நிலத்தில் நடைமுறைப்படுத்துகிறார்கள். ஆக, நம்முடைய உற்பத்தி முறையை மாற்றுவதென்பது கடினமான காரியமில்லை. ஆக, வள்ளுவர் என்ன சொல்லி இருக்கிறார் என்றால் ``ஆங்கதை வெய்தியக் கண்ணும் பயமின்றே வேந்தமை வில்லாத நாடு'' என்று சொல்லி இருக்கிறார். எல்லா வளமும் இருந்தாலும் அரசாங்கம் உருப்படியாக அமையவில்லை என்றால், எது ஒன்றும் உருப்படாமல் போய் விடும் என்பது இதன் பொருள். ஆக அரசாங்கத்தை நேர்படுத்துவதற்குத்தான் நாம் அதிகம் உழைக்க வேண்டி இருக்கிறது.

littlemaster1982
1st June 2008, 12:13 PM
நம்மாழ்வார்-தீராநதி நேர்காணல் - 5

தீராநதி : ஆற்றுநீரைப் பயன்படுத்தி தஞ்சை மாதிரியான வட்டாரங்களில் மூன்று போகம் விளைவித்திருப்பதை நாம் அறிந்துள்ளோம். ஆனால், ஆற்று நீர் ஆதாரமே இல்லாத செங்கல்பட்டு மாதிரியான பகுதிகள் ஏரி குளங்களை உண்டாக்கி அதன் வழியாக நீர்த்தேக்கி மூன்று போகம் விளைவித்து, அப்பகுதி செல்வச் செழிப்பாக இருந்திருக்கிறது. இன்றைக்கு ஆற்று நீர் ஆதாரங்கள் முழுக்க அரசியல் காரணங்களால் நாம் இழந்திருக்கிறோம். அண்மையில் ஒகேனக்கல் கூட்டுக் குடிநீர்த் திட்டம் கூட பிரச்னையாகி தவிக்கிறது. இச் சமயத்தில் ஏரி, குளங்கள் மூலமாக - செங்கல்பட்டு மாதிரி - ஒரு விவசாயத்தை நம்மால் வளர்த்தெடுக்க முடியுமா? ஏரிகளை நம்பி மட்டுமே பயிர் செய்வதென்பது பிற மாவட்டங்களிலும் சாத்தியப்படுமா?

நம்மாழ்வார்: உங்களிடம் இருப்பது பொது அறிவு. இந்தப் பொது அறிவு விவசாயத்திற்கு உபயோகப்படாது. இன்னும் கொஞ்சம் அறிவு ஆழமானால்தான் விவசாயத்திற்கு அது பயன்படும். ஏரிகளை வைத்து சாகுபடி செய்வதென்பது செங்கல்பட்டில் மட்டும்தான் நடக்கும். அது தஞ்சாவூரில் நடக்காது. ஏன் என்று கேட்டீர்களென்றால், செங்கல்பட்டில் மலைகள் நிறைய இருக்கின்றன. மலையில் பெய்யும் மழை நீர் கடலுக்குப் போவதற்கு முன் மறித்து ஏரிகளில் நிரப்பி சாகுபடிக்குப் பயன்படுத்துகிறார்கள். இங்கு மேட்டூர் தண்ணீர் கடலுக்குப் போவதற்கு முன் மறிக்கப்பட வேண்டும். அப்படி மறித்து 33 ஆறுகளாகத் திருப்பி இருக்கிறார்கள். கல்லணையிலிருந்து 33 ஆறுகளாக பிரித்து கடலில் போய்ச் சேருகிறது. கிட்டத்தட்ட இந்தியாவில் இருக்கின்ற ஆறுகளிலேயே 95 சதவீதம் விவசாயத்திற்காகப் பயன்படுத்தப்படும் ஆறு காவிரி ஆற்றுத் தண்ணீர் மட்டும்தான்.

இன்று காடுகளை அழித்ததினால் புயல் மழையாக வரும் நீரை மேட்டூர் அணையில் நாம் தேக்கி வைத்தது போக, அதே போல ஐந்து மடங்கு தண்ணீர் வங்காள விரிகுடாவிற்குப் போய் விடுகிறது. நம்முடைய கரிகாலச்சோழன் இரண்டாயிரம் ஆண்டுகளுக்கு முன்னால் இந்தக் கல்லணையைக் கட்டியதாகச் சொல்கிறார்கள். இங்கிலாந்துகாரன் இங்கு வந்து கல்லணையைப் பார்த்தபோது அவனுடைய தொப்பியைக் கழற்றி மரியாதை செலுத்தினானாம். ஏனென்றால், எப்படிடா தண்ணீர் பாயும் மணல் ஆற்றில் அணையைக் கட்டி இருப்பான் என்று அவனுக்குப் புரியவே இல்லை. ஆகவே அப்படி மரியாதை செய்திருக்கிறான். காட்டாற்றில் தண்ணீர் போய்க் கொண்டே இருக்கும். ஒரு வருடத்திற்குள் கட்டி முடிக்கப்படுகின்ற வேலையுமல்ல இது என்று மலைத்திருக்கிறான். ``இந்த அணையைக் கட்டுவதற்காக இங்கு முதல் கல்லைப் போட்டானே அந்த மனிதனுக்கு என்னுடைய வணக்கம்'' என்று அவன் சொன்னதாக வரலாற்றில் எழுதி இருக்கிறார்கள். ஆக, அந்தச் சாதனை மிக்க அணையை கரிகாலச் சோழன் கட்டி இருக்கிறான். அணையென்றால் நீரைத் தேக்கி வைத்து பிறகு தண்ணீரைத் திறந்து விடும் அணையல்ல; கொள்ளிடத்திற்கு அதிகமாகச் சொல்லும் தண்ணீரை அணையிட்டு தடுத்துவிட்டோம் என்றால், அதில் குறிப்பிட்ட அளவிற்கான தண்ணீர் காவிரி ஆற்றில் போய்க் கொண்டே இருக்கும். அதற்கு மேல் தண்ணீர் வந்தால் காவிரி அக்கரை தாங்காது. ஆகவே இதைக் கட்டி இருக்கிறான். அதற்கப்புறம் ஒரு விஷயம், பெரிய மன்னர்களை ஔவையார் பாடவே இல்லை. கரிகாலனை மட்டும்தான் பாடி இருக்கிறாள். பாடும் போது என்ன சொல்கிறாள் என்றால், ``காடு கொன்று நாடாக்கினான். குளம் தொட்டு வளம் பெருக்கினான்'' என்று எழுதுகிறாள். சரி தானே?

ஆக, காவிரி மண்டலத்திலும் நிறைய குளங்களாகவே வெட்டி வைத்திருந்திருக்கிறார்கள். ஏனென்றால், காவிரியில் ஒரு குறிப்பிட்ட பருவத்தில் மட்டும்தான் தண்ணீர் வரும். அதற்காக எங்குப் பார்த்தாலும் குளங்கள் வெட்டினார்கள். தேக்கிய நீரை வருடம் முழுவதும் பயன்படுத்திக் கொண்டார்கள். ஆனால், இன்றைக்கு ஆற்று ஓரத்தில் தொழிற்சாலைகளை உண்டாக்கி வைத்துக் கொண்டு ஆற்று நீர் முழுவதையும் சாக்கடையாக்கி வைத்திருக்கிறோம். உடனடியாக நாம் செய்தாக வேண்டிய வேலை. ஆற்று ஓரங்களில் உள்ள எல்லா தொழிற்சாலைகளையும் பூட்டுப் போட்டு பூட்ட வேண்டியதுதான்.

நேற்று நாங்கள் திருவனந்தபுரத்திலுள்ள பத்மநாப சாமிகள் கோயிலுக்குப் போனோம். அங்கு கோயிலுக்குப் பக்கத்தில் பெரியதாக ஒரு ஏரியைக் கட்டி வைத்திருக்கிறார்கள். பக்கத்தில் குடியிருப்புக்கள் எல்லாம் இருக்கிறது. கோயிலின் மீது கூரை போட்டு விட்டார்கள். அதில் விழும் மழைத் தண்ணீர் ஏரிக்குள் வந்து விழுந்து நிரம்புகிறது. மக்கள் தன்னை கடவுள் காப்பாற்றுவதாக நம்பவைத்தார்கள். ஆனால், உண்மையில் இவர்கள் தான் கடவுளைக் காப்பாற்றினார்கள். ஏனென்றால், இவர்களே வகுத்துக் கொண்ட திட்டங்களால்தான் இவர்களை இவர்களே காப்பாற்றிக் கொண்டார்கள். ஆனால் கடவுள் காப்பாற்றுவதாக போதிக்கப்பட்டது. தமிழ்நாட்டில் மொத்தம் 40 ஆயிரம் ஏரிகளை நம்முடைய முன்னோர்கள் கட்டி வைத்திருந்தார்கள். ஏரி என்றால் என்ன அர்த்தம். ஏர் பூட்டி பயிர் செய்யப்படுகின்ற இடங்களை ஏரி என்றோம். அதோடு சின்னதானால் குளம். ஆடு மாடு குளிக்கலாம். அதைவிடச் சின்னதானால் குட்டை. கை கால் மட்டும் கழுவிக் கொள்ளலாம். இப்படி ஒவ்வொன்றிற்கும் பெயர் வைத்திருக்கிறார்கள் நம் முன்னோர்கள். அந்த 40 ஆயிரம் ஏரிகளில் இன்றைக்கு 20 ஆயிரம் ஏரிகள்தான் இருக்கிறது என்கிறார்கள்.

ஒரு காலத்தில் காரல் மார்க்ஸ் இங்கிலாந்திலிருந்து எழுதுகிறார். ``இந்தியாவினுடைய சூழல் ரொம்ப இயற்கை வளம் மிகுந்ததல்ல; அவர்கள் ஏரி குளங்களையெல்லாம் உண்டாக்கி வைத்திருக்கிறார்கள். ஆனால் அவற்றை அடிக்கடி மராமத்து செய்ய வேண்டும். அப்போதுதான் விவசாயம் ஒழுங்காக நடக்கும். ஆனால் இங்கிலாந்திலிருந்து போன ஆங்கில அரசு அவற்றின் மேம்பாட்டிற்குச் செலவழிப்பதே இல்லை. இவர்கள் போருக்குச் செலவு செய்வதும், வரி வசூலிப்பதும், வரிப் பணத்தை தலைநகரத்திற்கு அனுப்புவதும் மட்டும்தான் அங்கிருக்கும் ஆட்சியாளர்களின் வேலையாக இருக்கிறது. ஆகையினால் அங்கு பஞ்சம் மிஞ்சி இருக்கிறது. பஞ்சம் நிலவுகிறது'' என்று எழுதுகிறார். அப்போது அந்த வெள்ளைக்காரன் போன பிற்பாடு நாம் நம்முடைய மக்களுக்காக ஆள வேண்டுமில்லையா? இப்பவும் பணக்கார நாட்டிற்கு சம்பாதித்துக் கொடுப்பதற்காகவே நம்முடைய ஆட்சியாளர்கள் வேலை செய்து கொண்டிருக்கிறார்கள். ஆகவே இந்தப் பஞ்சம் இன்னும் தொடருகிறது. காந்தியே சொல்லி இருக்கிறார். `இந்தியாவில் ஆறு லட்சம் கிராமங்கள் இருக்கின்றன. இந்த ஆறு லட்சம் கிராமங்கள் வாழ்ந்தால் இந்தியா வாழ்கின்றதென்று அர்த்தம். இல்லையென்றால் இல்லை' என்றார். அப்போது இந்த ஆறு லட்ச கிராமத்தினையும் வளர விடாமல் செய்து பட்டணத்தை மட்டும் ஊதி ஊதிப் பெருக்கி இருக்கின்றோம். பட்டணமும் இன்றைக்கு நன்றாக இல்லை. எவ்வளவு நகரமாக இருந்தாலும் ஒரு சிலர் வரைதான் தாங்கும். அப்போது பட்டிக்காட்டை வறட்சியில் தொடரவிட்டு விட்டோம் என்றால், எல்லா மக்களும் சாப்பாட்டிற்காக நகரத்தில் வந்து மோதுகிறார்கள். வேலை வாய்ப்பில்லை. வீட்டு வசதியில்லை. குடிப்பதற்கு நீர் இல்லை. மருத்துவ வசதி இல்லை. குழந்தைகளுக்கு பள்ளி வசதி இல்லை. மறுபடியும் என்ன செய்திருக்கிறார்கள். கிராமத்திலிருந்த சேரிகளுக்குப் பதிலாக பட்டணத்துச் சேரிகளை உண்டு பண்ணி இருக்கிறார்கள். ஆகவே மறுபடியும் இந்த ஆறுலட்சம் கிராமத்தினையும் வாழக் கூடிய பூமியாக மாற்றினோம் என்றால், பட்டணத்தில் ஏகப்பட்ட மக்கள் நெரிசலை கிராமத்திற்குத் தள்ளிவிடலாம். அப்போது பட்டணத்தில் இருப்பவர்களுக்கும் சேர்த்து இவர்கள் உற்பத்தி செய்வார்கள்.

littlemaster1982
1st June 2008, 12:16 PM
நம்மாழ்வார்-தீராநதி நேர்காணல் - 6

தீராநதி : ``பயிர்கள் தானாக வளர வேண்டுமே தவிர, நாமாக வளர்க்கக் கூடாது. இயற்கையான வழிக்கே எல்லாவற்றையும் விட்டு விட வேண்டும். ஆனால் திடீரென்று இந்த எண்ணத்தை ஒட்டுமொத்தமாக நடைமுறைப்படுத்தினால் விளைவு நன்றாக இருக்காது. அதற்குப் பெயர் இயற்கை வேளாண்மை அல்ல; கை கழுவி விடுவது'' என்று தன்னுடைய இயற்கை வேளாண்மை குறித்து மசானோபு ஃபுகோகா சொல்கிறார். அவர் இந்த இருபத்தைந்து ஆண்டுகளுக்கு மேலாக தன் நிலத்தை உழுவதை நிறுத்தியதைத் தொடர்ந்தும் அவர் நிலத்தின் வளம், அமைப்பு மற்றும் நீரைத் தக்க வைத்து கொள்ளும் மண்ணின் தன்மை வெகுவாக உயர்வதாக குறிப்பிடுகிறார். அவரது இயற்கை வேளாண்மையை அப்படியே இங்கு நடைமுறைப்படுத்த இயலாதென்ற போதிலும் ஃபுகோகாவின் இயற்கை வேளாண்மையிலிருந்து உங்களின் இயற்கை வேளாண்மை வேறுபட்டதா? கொஞ்சம் விளக்குங்களேன்?

நம்மாழ்வார் : முதலில் ஒன்றை நீங்கள் புரிந்து கொள்ள வேண்டும். எல்லா விஷயத்தையும் எல்லா இடத்திலும் உற்பத்தி பண்ணலாம். ஆப்பிள் மரம் கூட நம்முடைய மண்ணில் வளர்ந்து விடுகிறது. ஆனால் காய்க்க மாட்டேன் என்கிறது. அதுபோல ஒன்று இரண்டு மரங்கள் தான் நம் சூழலுக்கு ஒத்துவராதே ஒழிய, மற்ற எல்லாவற்றையும் நம்முடைய மக்கள் வளர்த்து சாதித்து விட்டார்கள். திருச்சியை விட வெயில் அதிகமாக இருக்கக் கூடிய பட்டுக்கோட்டை பகுதியில் காப்பி விளைகிறது. லவங்கம் விளைகிறது. ஆல் ஸ்பைஸஸ் பிளாண்ட் விளைகிறது. கோகோ விளைகிறது. ஜாதிக்காய் விளைகிறது. பாக்கு விளைகிறது. இப்படி எல்லாவற்றையும் வளர்த்துக் காண்பித்து விட்டார்கள். இது எப்படிச் சாத்தியமென்று கேட்டீர்கள் என்றால், அது ஒரு இயற்கைச் சூழலில் வளர்கிறது. அதை `மைக்ரோ கிளைமேட்' என்பார்கள். இப்போது நீங்கள் நல்ல வெயிலில் ரோட்டில் சைக்கிளில் பயணம் செய்கிறீர்கள் என்று வைத்துக் கொள்வோம். களைத்து விடுகிறீர்கள். உடனே சாலை பக்கத்தில் உள்ள வேப்ப மரத்தின் கீழ் உள்ள நிழலில் போய் நிற்கிறீர்கள். உடனே உங்களுக்கு குளுகுளு என்று இருக்கிறதில்லையா? உடனே உங்களின் களைப்பு போய் விடுகிறதல்லவா? அதற்குப் பெயர்தான் `மைக்ரோ கிளைமேட்' என்கிறோம். ஒரு சின்ன இடத்தினால் கூட ஒரு வித்தியாசமான சூழலை நம்மால் உருவாக்க முடியும். பாலைவனத்தில் ஒட்டகத்தின் மீது செல்பவன் பக்கத்திலுள்ள நீர்ச்சுனை பக்கமாக நிற்பான். அதை பாலைவனச் சோலை என்பார்கள். ஒயாஸிஸ் என்றும் சொல்வார்கள். அங்கு இளைப்பாற அவனுக்கு நிழல் கிடைக்கிறது. அருந்த நீர் கிடைக்கிறது. சாப்பிட பேரீச்சம் பழம் கிடைக்கிறது. அவனுக்குத் தேவையான சகலமும் கிடைக்கிறது. மனிதன் அறிவை மட்டும் சரியாகப் பயன்படுத்தினான் என்றால் எங்கும் வாழ்வதற்கான சரியான சூழலை, அழகாக உருவாக்கிவிட முடியும். இதுதான் உங்களின் ஒரு பகுதி கேள்விக்கான பதில். அடுத்தது நாம் ஃபுகோகாவிற்குள் போவோம். ஃபுகோகாவினுடைய `ஒற்றை வைக்கோல் `புரட்சி'யை எல்லோரும் படித்திருக்கிறார்கள். அடுத்தாற்போல் வந்த இரு புத்தகங்களை யாரும் படிக்கவில்லை. `நேச்சுரல் வே ஆஃப் ஃபாமிங்' என்ற புத்தகம் வந்திருக்கிறது. `ரோடு பேக் டு நேச்சர்' என்ற புத்தகம் வெளி வந்திருக்கிறது. இந்த இரண்டு புத்தகத்திற்கு அடுத்து இப்போது ஒரு புது புத்தகம் கூட வெளி வந்து விட்டதென்று நினைக்கிறேன்.

`ஒற்றை வைக்கோல் புரட்சி' புத்தகம் முழுக்க நெற் சாகுபடி பற்றி தான் பேசுகிறது. `நேச்சுரல் வே ஆஃப் ஃபாமிங்' புத்தகத்தில் இயற்கை வழி பண்ணையம் பற்றிய ஏகப்பட்ட விஷயங்கள் பேசப்படுகிறது. முக்கியமாக ஜப்பானிலிருந்து எந்த இடத்தில் நாம் வித்தியாசப்பட்டு நிற்கிறோம் என்று கேட்டால், ஜப்பானில் 52 வாரம் மழை பெய்கிறது. இங்கே மூன்று மாதம் மட்டும்தான் மழை பெய்கிறது. இந்த மூன்று மாத மழையும் 45 நாட்களுக்குள் பெய்ந்து விடுகிறது. இங்கு தான் பெரிய வித்தியாசம் ஏற்படுகிறது. ஃபுகோகா பதினைந்து வருடங்கள் நிலத்தில் இயற்கை வழி விவசாயத்திற்கான வேலையைச் செய்து விட்டு அதற்குப் பிற்பாடு உழுவதை நிறுத்தி விட்டார். நாமும் உடனே நம்முடைய நிலத்தில் உழுவதை நிறுத்திவிட்டு விவசாயம் பண்ண முடியாது. ஃபுகோகா உழவேண்டாம் என்று சொல்லவே இல்லை. மண்புழுவும் புல் பூண்டுச் செடியின் வேர்களும் நிலத்தை இயற்கையாகவே உழுகிறதே பிறகு எதற்கு நீ தனியாக உழவேண்டும் என்று கேட்கிறார். இந்த `உழவு' என்பது திருவள்ளுவரின் அதிகாரங்களில் வரக்கூடிய ஒரு தலைப்பு. உழவு என்றால் என்ன அர்த்தம்? `உழவு' என்றால் துன்பம் என்று அர்த்தம். மழை பெய்து கொண்டிருக்கும்போது விவசாயி தலையில் ஒரு சாக்குப் பையைப் போட்டுக் கொண்டு நிலத்தை உழுது கொண்டிருப்பான். ஒரு மாதம் தொடர்ந்து மாடு உழுததென்றால், அதனுடைய கால் செக்கச் செவேல் என்று வெளுத்து விடும். அதன் கால் உரோமங்கள் எல்லாம் உதிர்ந்து விடும். குளம்பெல்லாம் தேய்ந்து போய்விடும். உழவு மாட்டிற்கே இவ்வளவு சங்கடங்கள். அப்போது விவசாயி மாடாக உழைக்கிறான். அதனால்தான் சிறப்பு என்று வள்ளுவர் சொன்னார். இதுதான் இனியது என்று சொன்னார். ``சுழன்றும்ஏர்ப் பின்னது உலகம் அதனால் உழந்தும் உழவே தலை'' என்கிறார். துன்பப்பட்டீர்கள் என்றாலும், அந்த உணவு சிறந்தது. ஏருக்குப் பின்னால்தான் உலகமே இருக்கிறது என்பதுதான் இதன் பொருள். `ஏர்' என்றால் தமிழில் `அழகு' என்ற இன்னொரு அர்த்தமும் இருக்கிறது. தன் நூலில் ஃபுகோகா டிராக்டரை ரொம்பவும் அழகாக தாக்குகிறார். ஒருவன் விடாமல் கண்விழித்து ஆராய்ச்சி செய்கிறான். கடைசியாக என்ன கண்டுபிடித்திருக்கிறான் என்றால் கிட்டப்பார்வைக்கு மூக்கு கண்ணாடி. `ஏன் அய்யா இவ்வளவு கண்விழித்து கண்களை கெடுத்துக் கொண்டு உடலையும் வருத்தி துன்பப்படுகிறீர்' என்று கேட்டால் `கண்ணாடி கண்டுபிடிப்பதற்கு' என்று பதிலளிக்கிறான். அதே போல பூமியை உப்பைப் போட்டு எவ்வளவு தூரம் கெடுக்க முடியுமோ அவ்வளவையும் கெடுத்து வைத்து விட்டு மாட்டு கலப்பையினால் இனி உழவே முடியாது என்கின்ற நிலை வரும் போது டிராக்டரைக் கொண்டு வந்து இறக்குகிறார்கள் என்று விமர்சிக்கிறார் ஃபுகோகா. மண்ணின் இயற்கை தன்மையைக் கெடுத்து விட்டு டிராக்டரைக் கண்டுபிடித்தீர்கள். டிராக்டர் ஓடுவதற்கு எண்ணெய் வேண்டுமே அதற்காக பூமியில் சுரங்கம் தோண்டி வேறு ஒரு பகுதியைக் கெடுத்தீர்கள். இதற்கு தேவையான இரும்புச் சாமான்களைச் செய்வதற்காக காட்டினை அழித்தீர்கள். ஆக, சுற்றுச் சூழலைக் கெடுத்துவிட்டுதான் இந்த டிராக்டரே வருகிறது. ஆனால் நம்ம மாடு உழும் போது சாணி போடுகிறது. அது மண்ணிற்குள் இறங்கி எருவாகிறது. அதனால்தான் `ஏர்' என்பதை அழகு என்றார்கள் தமிழர்கள்.

கிராமத்தில் சொல்வார்கள் ``கோணக்கா மாணக்க மூணு பேரு கூட்டிப் பார்த்தா பத்து காலு'' என்று. இரண்டு மாட்டையும் சேர்த்து எண்ணினால் எட்டுக் கால். அதை ஒட்டுபவனின் கால் இரண்டு. மொத்தம் சேர்த்தால் பத்து கால். ஆக, மாட்டை தனியாக நம்முடைய விவசாயி பிரித்துப் பார்க்கவில்லை. தன்னுடைய சொந்தமாகச் சேர்த்துப் பார்க்கிறான். அடுத்தது உங்களுடைய கேள்வியின் முக்கியமான பகுதிக்கு வருகிறேன். ஷப்பானில் மொத்தம் 12 மாதமும் மழை பெய்வதினால் அவர்கள் ஆறு மாதம் நெல் அல்லது பார்லியை விதைப்பது, ஆறு மாதம் கோதுமை விதைப்பது என்று பிரித்துக் கொண்டார்கள். நெல் அறுப்பதற்கு ஏழு எட்டு நாட்களுக்கு முன்னாலேயே கோதுமையை விதைத்து விடுவார்கள். அதேபோல் கோதுமையை விதைப்பதற்கு முன்னாலேயே நெல்லை விதைத்து விடுகிறார்கள். அப்போது உழுவதற்கே வேலை கிடையாது. நாற்று விடுவது தேவையில்லை. புடுங்கி நடவேண்டியதில்லை. பூமி எப்போதும் மூடியே இருக்கிறது. களை மண்டாது. அப்படியே நிலம் முன்னேறிவிட்டது. ஆனால் நமக்கு அப்படி இல்லை. மூன்று மாதம்தான் மழை. மீதியெல்லாம் வெயில், காற்று என்றிருக்கிறது. என்னுடைய கூட்டாளி ஆரோவில்லில் (பாண்டிச்சேரி பக்கமாக) இருக்கிறான். பெல்ஜியத்துக்காரன். அவனது பெயர் பெர்னார்டு டி கிளார்க். இந்த பெர்னார்டு டி கிளார்க்குதான் எனக்கு வழிகாட்டி. கிளார்க் என்ன செய்தார் என்றால், இங்கு நம்முடைய பருவநிலைக்குத் தகுந்த மாதிரி மூன்று பயிர் சுழற்சியைக் கொண்டு வர வேண்டும். கொண்டு வந்தார். அவரது முறைப்படி மழைக்காலத்தில் நெல்லை பயிர் செய்தார். அதற்கடுத்தது சோளமும் தட்டைப் பயிறும் பயிர் செய்தார். சோளம் நேராக விளைந்து நிற்கிறது. தட்டை அதைச் சுற்றிக் கொண்டு வளர்கிறது. சோளம் மண் சத்தை எடுக்கிறது. தட்டை பயிர் சத்தை சேர்க்கிறது. மூன்றாவது நல்ல வெயில் பருவம் வரும் போது வெறும் உரச் செடிகளை மட்டுமே விதைப்பது என்று திட்டமிட்டுக் கொண்டார். ஆக, பூமி எப்போதும் மூடியே இருக்கும். இதனால் மண் வளம் பெருகச் செய்கிறது. நாம் முன்னோர்கள் இப்படித்தானே பயிர் செய்தார்கள்.

ஆக, நம்முடைய வரலாற்றையும் கலாச்சாரத்தையும் அடிப்படையாகக் கொண்டு மூன்று பயிர்த் திட்டமாக கொண்டு வந்தார் கிளார்க். ஃபுகோகா சொல்கிறார். ``இயற்கைக்கு ஒரு விதி இருக்கிறது. இயற்கை கொடுத்ததைத் திருப்பி அளிப்போம். நெல்லை விளைத்தால் நெல்லை எடுத்துக்கொண்டு வைக்கோலைத் திரும்ப நிலத்திற்கே கொடுத்துவிடு. ஆக, வேண்டியதை எடுத்துக் கொண்டு வேண்டாததை இயற்கையிடம் திருப்பிக் கொடுக்கப் பழக வேண்டும். இன்றைக்கு மக்களுக்கு அரசாங்கம் கோடி கோடியாக செலவழிப்பதாகச் சொல்கிறது. ரோடு போடுகிறது. மின்சாரத்தைத் தயார் செய்து கொடுக்கிறான். தண்ணீர் சப்ளையெல்லாம் செய்து கொடுக்கிறான். ஆனால் விவசாயிகளுக்கு கிராமத்தில் தானியங்களை அடித்து உலர்த்துவதற்கு ஒரு களம் செய்து கொடுக்கவில்லை. விவசாயி தார் ரோட்டிற்குக் கொண்டு வந்து விரவி பஸ் லாரியை தானியத்தின் மீது ஓட விட்டு தானியத்தைப் பிரிக்க வேண்டிய நிலைமைதான் இன்னும் இருக்கிறது. இதனால் என்ன ஆகிறது? ரோட்டிலேயே வைக்கோலை போட்டுவிட்டு வந்து விடுகிறான். அடுத்த நாள் மாடு மேய்க்கப் போகும் சிறுவன் அவற்றிற்கு `தீ' வைத்து எரித்துக் கொண்டிருக்கிறான். வைக்கோல் சத்து நிலத்திற்குப் போய்ச் சேரவில்லை. ஒன்றை நாம் புரிந்துகொள்ள வேண்டும். கொள்கை (அ) தத்துவம் என்றும் நடைமுறை என்றும் இரண்டு இருக்கிறது. நடைமுறை ஊருக்கு ஊர் வித்தியாசப்படும். ஆனால் கொள்கை ஊருக்கு ஊர் வித்தியாசப்படாது. உலகம் முழுவதும் ஒன்றுதான்.

littlemaster1982
1st June 2008, 12:17 PM
நம்மாழ்வார்-தீராநதி நேர்காணல் - 7

தீராநதி : நம் மரபிலிருந்து அழிந்துபோன, அதாவது ரசாயன வேளாண்மையில் காணாமல் போன பல்வேறு வகைப்பட்ட தானியங்களை நம்மால் மறுபடியும் மீட்டெடுக்க முடியுமா?

நம்மாழ்வார் : எங்கள் ஊரில் இருந்த கோயில் மாடு திருடு போய்விட்டது. மூன்று வருடம் போராடி மாட்டை திரும்பக் கொண்டு வந்து விட்டார்கள். அதே போல நம்முடைய தானிய வகைகள் எல்லாம் பிலிஃப்பைன் நாட்டுக்குத் திருட்டு போய் இருக்கிறது. நம்முடைய விஞ்ஞானிகளை அனுப்பி வைத்தால் திரும்ப கொண்டுவந்து விடப்போகிறார்கள். நம்முடைய ஆட்களை வைத்துத் தானே அவர்கள் திருடி இருக்கிறார்கள். இந்தத் துணைபோன திருடனை அனுப்பி உண்மையான திருடனைப் பிடித்துக் கொண்டுவா என்றால் பிடித்துக் கொண்டு வருகிறான். நம்முடைய தானியங்கள் எல்லாம் இயற்கையாக அழிந்து போகவில்லை. திருடுதானே போய் இருக்கிறது.

தீராநதி : இதற்கு முன்னால் கூட `மான்சாண்டோ விதைகளை' கொண்டு வந்து நம்முடைய நாட்டில் அறிமுகம் செய்தார்கள். தொடர்ந்து அவர்களின் கட்டுப்பாட்டிற்குள் கொண்டு வருவதற்காக வல்லரசு நாடுகள் அதற்கான வேலைகளை நடத்திக் கொண்டுதான் இருக்கின்றன. மனித சமூகத்திற்கே பெரும் கேடு என்று தெரிந்த ஒரு விஷயத்தை, ஒரு சாதாரண சாமான்யன் கூட புரிந்து கொள்ளக் கூடிய ஒரு விஜயத்தை, நம்முடைய அரசியல் தலைவர்கள் புரிந்து கொள்ளாமல் போவது ஏன்? 123 அணு ஆயுத ஒப்பந்தத்திற்குக் கொடுக்கப்படும் முக்கியத்துவம் அளவுக்குக் கூட இந்த பிரச்னைகளுக்குக் கொடுக்கப்படுவது இல்லையே அது ஏன்?

நம்மாழ்வார் : இதற்கு பதிலை நீங்கள்தான் கண்டுபிடிக்க வேண்டும். நீங்கள்தான் ரொம்ப படிக்கக் கூடிய ஆளாக இருக்கிறீர்கள். அதாவது நம்மூரில் நிறைய வட்டிக் கடைகள் எல்லாம் இருக்கிறது. இதற்கு `பேங்க்' என்று பெயர் வைத்திருக்கிறோம். இந்த பேங்க் என்பது எங்கிருந்து வந்தது என்பதை நான் அறிந்து கொண்ட போது ரொம்ப ஆச்சர்யமாக இருந்தது. 1985-ல் நான் இங்கிலாந்து சென்றிருந்தபோது ஒரு நண்பர் என்னைக் கூப்பிட்டுக் கொண்டு போய் ஒரு ஏரிக்கரையை காண்பித்தார். அந்த ஏரிக் கரைக்குக் கீழாக நிறைய தரிசு நிலங்கள் இருந்தன. `இதுதான் எங்கள் காலத்தில் சந்தையாக இருந்தது. இந்த ஏரியினுடைய கரை இருக்கிறது பாருங்கள், அதற்கு பெயர் பேங்க். இந்தக் கரைக்கு பக்கத்தில் ஒரு காய்ந்து போன மரம் கிடக்கும். அந்த மரத்தின் மீதமர்ந்து இரண்டு நபர்கள் காலையில் சந்தைக்கு வரும் விவசாயிகளுக்குக் கடன் கொடுப்பார்கள். சாயுங்காலம் விவசாயி வட்டியுடன் கொண்டு வந்து தொகையைத் திரும்பக் கொடுப்பான். அதான் `பேங்க்'கிலிருந்து பணம் போனது. `பேங்க்'கிலிருந்து பணம் வந்தது. ஆக, `பேங்க்' என்றால் ஏரிக்கரை. ஏரிக்கரையில் உட்கார்ந்து வட்டிக்குக் கொடுத்து வியாபாரம் பண்ணவன் இன்றைக்கு கோடி கோடியாக மாளிகைகள் எல்லாம் கட்டிக் கொண்டு எங்கெங்கோ இருக்கிறான். அத்தனை பேர்களும் வட்டிக் கடைக்காரர்கள். வட்டிக்கடை வைத்திருப்பவன் எந்த உழைப்பும் செய்வதில்லை. சட்டை காலரில் அழுக்குப்படாமல் உழைக்கிறான் அவன். அதே போல நாம் உலக வங்கியில் கடன் வாங்கினோம். அவனுக்குக் கடன் பட்டிருக்கிறோம். இங்கு விளைந்ததை விற்று அவனுக்கு இன்னும் வட்டியையே கட்டிக் கொண்டிருக்கிறோம். ஆக, அவன் உழைக்கவே வேண்டாம். நாம் சுகமாக இருக்க வேண்டும். மற்றவர்கள் யாராவது உழைக்க வேண்டும். நம்ம வயிறு நிரம்ப வேண்டும். அது அவர்களின் கொள்கையாக இருக்கிறது. இதை வேறு மாதிரி சொன்னோம் என்றால், பேங்கில் இருக்கும் அதிகாரி என்ன சொல்கிறான் `ஒரு திட்டத்தைக் கொண்டு வாருங்கள். நான் பணம் தருகிறேன்' என்கிறான். அதே மாதிரி ஒரு திட்டத்தை நாம் கொண்டு போனால், `உங்களின் திட்டம் 30 சதவீதம் லாபம் வரும் என்று வாக்குறுதி தந்தால்தான் அதற்கு நான் பணம் கொடுப்பேன்' என்கிறான். அப்போது லாபம் சம்பாதிப்பவனுக்கு மட்டும் தான் பணம் தருவான் `பேங்க்'காரன். ஆக, முப்பது சதவீதம் லாபம் கிடைக்கும் என்றால் எவனாக இருந்தாலும் கடன் வாங்கி தொழிலைத் தொடங்குவான். 50 சதவீதம் லாபம் வரும் என்றால் சட்டத்தை மீறுவான். 100 சதவீதம் லாபம் கிடைக்கும் என்றால் கொலை செய்வான். 200 சதவீதம் லாபம் வருமென்றால் தானே செத்தாலும் பரவாயில்லை என்று அக்குற்றத்தைத் துணிந்து செய்வான். இதுதான் அரசியல் பொருளாதார கொள்ளை. அது இன்றைக்கும் சரியாக இருக்கிறது. ஆக, வரப்போகும் லாபம் தான் ஒருவன் எப்படி நடந்து கொள்வான் என்பதைத் தீர்மானிக்கிறது.

தீராநதி : இதுபோல வர போகும் கேடுகளை ஏன் நம்முடைய விஞ்ஞானிகள் முன் கூட்டியே அரசிடம் எடுத்துச் சொல்லக் கூடாது?

நம்மாழ்வார் : நாம் தான் இங்கு தப்பு செய்கிறோம். விஞ்ஞானம் என்ன செய்யுமென்றால், ஒன்றை எப்படிச் செய்ய வேண்டும் என்பதைத் தான் சொல்லும். ஆனால் ஒரு இலக்கியவாதிதான் ஏன் செய்ய வேண்டும் என்பதைச் சொல்ல வேண்டும். அதனால் இலக்கியவாதிகள் தான் விஞ்ஞானிகளுக்கு யோசனை சொல்ல வேண்டுமே தவிர, விஞ்ஞானிகள் இலக்கியவாதிகளுக்கு யோசனையைச் சொல்லக் கூடாது. கனடாவில் உள்ள ஒரு விஞ்ஞானி என்ன சொல்லி இருக்கிறான் தெரியுமா? ``இந்த விஞ்ஞானிகள் செய்வதற்காக நான் வெட்கப்படுகிறேன்'' என்று சொல்லி இருக்கிறான். விஞ்ஞானிகள் வரலாற்றைப் படிக்காமல் விஞ்ஞானத்தைக் கையில் எடுக்கக்கூடாது. வரலாற்றில் இரண்டு பெரிய தவறுகள் நடந்திருப்பதாக கனடா நாட்டு விஞ்ஞானி சுட்டிக் காட்டுகிறார். ஒன்று : 1938-39 ஞிஞிஜி என்று ஒரு விஜத்தைக் கண்டுபிடித்தார்கள். அந்த ஞிஞிஜி விஷத்தை கிணற்றில், ஆற்றில் கலந்து விட்டால் எதிரிகள் நம்மீது படையெடுத்து வரும்போது அந்த தண்ணீரைப் பருகிவிட்டு இறந்து விடுவார்கள். அல்லது குடிக்க முடியாமல் திரும்பி விடுவார்கள். அந்த விஜத்தைக் கண்டுபிடித்து உயிரியைக் கொலை செய்யுமா என்று தெரிந்து கொள்வதற்காக பூச்சியின் மீது தெளித்தான். பூச்சி செத்து விட்டது. ஆனால் 1945-ல் போர் முழுக்க நின்று போய் விட்டது. உடனே இதை பூச்சி மருந்து என்று சொல்லி உலகம் முழுவதும் பரப்பினார்கள். ஆனால் தயாரித்தது எதற்கு? ஆட்களைக் கொல்வதற்கு. இந்த விஜத்தைக் கண்டுபிடித்தவன் பெயர் றிணீuறீ விuறீறீமீக்ஷீ. . இந்த றிணீuறீ விuறீறீமீக்ஷீ. 1948-ல் நோபல் பரிசையே கொடுத்தார்கள். மனித மேம்பாட்டிற்காக பாடுபட்ட விஞ்ஞானி என்று சொல்லி விருதைக் கொடுத்தார்கள். 1960-61-ல் என்ன தெரிய வந்ததென்றால், அந்த மருந்து மனிதனையெல்லாம் கொல்கிறது என்று தெரிய வருகிறது.

அமெரிக்காவில் உள்ள மரத்தின் மீது வண்டுகள் இருக்கிறது என்பதற்காக ஹெலிகாப்டரில் கொண்டு சென்று மரத்தின் மீது இந்த மருந்தை தெளித்தார்கள். அந்த மரத்தின் இலை பட்டு கீழே விழுந்ததை தின்று மண்ணில் இருந்த மண்புழு செத்து விட்டது. செத்த மண்புழுவைத் தின்ற பறவை செத்துப் போனது. `ராபின்' என்ற ஒரு பறவை அங்கிருந்தது. அது என்ன செய்யுமென்றால் பனிகாலம் வரும் போது நாட்டை விட்டு வெளியில்போய் விடும். வசந்த காலம் வரும் போது சத்தம் போட்டுக் கொண்டு நாட்டிற்குள் திரும்பும். ஆக, வசந்தம் வரப்போகிறது என்று `கட்டியம்' கூறக் கூடிய பறவை அது. இப்போது அந்தப் பறவையையே அங்கு காணோம். இதையெல்லாம் பார்த்து விட்டு கடல் விஞ்ஞானி ராச்சேல் கார்சன் என்பவள் ஒரு புத்தகத்தை எழுதினாள். எழுதிய அடுத்த வருடமே அவள் கேன்சர் நோயினால் இறந்து போனாள். ஞிஞிஜி என்ன செய்யுமென்றால், நம்முடைய உள்ளுறுப்புகளில் பாதிப்பை ஏற்படுத்தி விந்து சுரப்பதையே நிறுத்தி விடும். உள்ளுக்குள்ளே புற்று நோயை வளர்க்கும். அந்தப் புத்தகத்தைப் படித்த அந்நாட்டு மக்கள் அபாயத்தை உணர்ந்து பின் போராடி அதைத் தடுத்து நிறுத்தினார்கள். அவர்களின் தேசிய பறவை வழுக்கை தலை கழுகு காணாமல் போய்விட்டது. ஹெலிகாப்டரில் தெளிக்கும் மருந்து மரத்தின் மீது மட்டுமே விழாது. அது பக்கத்தில் இருக்கும் ஆறு, ஏரிகளின் மீதும் விழும். அப்படி விழுந்து நீரில் கலந்த அந்நீரைப் பருகிய மீன்கள் நோய்வாய் பட்டு மெதுவாக நீந்தின. அதை சுலபமாக வேட்டையாடி உண்ட கழுகுகள் இறந்து போயின. இவ்வளவு பெரிய தீங்கை கண்டுபிடித்த விஞ்ஞானிக்குத்தான் நாம் நோபல் பரிசை கொடுத்திருக்கிறோம். அதே போல குளோரோ ஃபுளோரோ கார்பன் வாயுவைக் கண்டுபிடித்தவனுக்கு பரிசு கொடுத்தார்கள். இதைத் தான் ஏர் கண்டிஷனில் எல்லாம் பயன்படுத்திக் கொண்டிருக்கிறார்கள். இந்த வாயுதான் ஓசோன் மண்டலத்தை ஓட்டை போடுகிறது. இந்த வாயு காற்றை விட லேசானது. அதனால் அது ஓசோன் திரையைக் கிழித்துக் கொண்டு மேலே போகிறது. ஓசோன் என்றால் என்ன அர்த்தம்? ஆக்ஸிஷன் அடர்த்தியாக இருக்கிறதென்று அர்த்தம். `ஓ' என்றால் ஆக்ஸிஜன். பொதுவாக `ஓ' என்பது இரண்டாக (ளி2) இருக்கும் இதில் `ஓ' மூன்று அனுவாக இருக்கிறது. இந்த வாயு ஓசோனின் காற்றுத் திரையைக் கிழித்துக் கொண்டு மேலே போகும் போது குளோரின் தனியாகப் பிரிந்து விடுகிறது. பிரிந்ததும் கனமாகி கீழே இறங்குகிறது. அப்போது ஓசோனை ஓட்டை போடுகிறது. இதனால் என்ன நடக்கிறது. சூரியக் கதிர்கள் வடிக்கப்படாமல் கீழே இறங்குகின்றன. அதனால் நமது தோலில் புற்றுநோய் உண்டாகிறது. ஆக, விஞ்ஞானம் என்றாலே முன்னேற்றமானது என்று நினைப்பவனை விட முட்டாள் வேறு ஒருவன் இருக்க மாட்டான். முன்னேற்றமாகவும் இருக்கலாம், இல்லாமலும் போகலாம். அதான் சரி.

தீராநதி : பறவைகளின் இறப்பு குறித்து சொன்னீர்கள். மாலத்தீவில் `கல்வேரிய மேஷர்' என்ற மரங்கள் சமீப காலமாக புதியதாக எதுவும் முளையவே இல்லை. எல்லாம் முன்னூறு ஆண்டுகள் பழமையான மரங்கள்தான் இருக்கிறது. ஏன் என்று ஆராய்ந்த போது அம்மரத்தின் விதைகள் தானே மண்ணில் விழுந்தால் முளைப்பது கடினம். அதுவே டோடோ (பீஷீபீஷீ) என்ற ஒரு பறவை உண்ட பிற்பாடு அதன் கழிவிலிருந்து வெளியேறும் விதைக்குத்தான் முளைக்கக்கூடிய வீரியம் இருக்கிறது என்று கண்டுபிடித்தார்கள். இன்றைக்கு பீஷீபீஷீ முற்றிலுமாக அழிந்து விட்டது. ஆகவே அம்மரங்கள் புதியதாக முளைக்கவே இல்லை என்பதும் தெரிய வந்தது. இங்கிருக்கும் ஆலமரத்திற்கும் வேம்பிற்கும் கூட இந்த `விதிகள்' பொருந்தும். இந்த மாதிரி இயற்கை சுழற்சியின் வளையத்தை மனிதர்கள் எந்த அளவிற்கு நாசப்படுத்தி இருக்கிறோம் என்று சொல்லுங்களேன்?

நம்மாழ்வார் : பீஷீபீஷீ பறவை எப்படி செத்ததென்று நீங்கள் சொல்லவில்லையே?

தீராநதி : தெரியவில்லை. சொல்லுங்கள்?

நம்மாழ்வார் : மாலத்தீவில் அந்த பீஷீபீஷீ பறவைகள் ரொம்ப சுகமாக வாழ்ந்து கொண்டிருந்தன. இந்துமகா கடலில் மாலத்தீவு என்பது ரொம்ப அழகாக இருக்கிறதென்று நிறையப் பேர் சுற்றுலாவிற்குச் சென்றார்கள். அப்படிப் போனவர்கள் நல்ல சுகத்தை அனுபவித்தார்கள். போனவர்கள் சும்மா போகவில்லை. துப்பாக்கியுடன் போனார்கள். இந்தப் பறவைகளுக்கு இவர்கள் தன்னைச் சுடுவார்கள் என்று தெரியாததால் அது சாதுவாக உட்கார்ந்திருந்ததால் அதை சுட்டுச் சுட்டே தின்றார்கள். அப்படியே ஒரு பறவை கூட மிச்சமில்லாத அளவிற்கு சுட்டுச் சுட்டு தின்றிருக்கிறார்கள். இப்போது தான் அவர்களுக்குத் தெரிய வருகிறது பீஷீபீஷீ இல்லை என்றால், கல்வேரியமரங்கள் முளைக்காதென்று.

littlemaster1982
1st June 2008, 12:17 PM
நம்மாழ்வார்-தீராநதி நேர்காணல் - 8

தீராநதி : நம்முடைய நாட்டுப் பிரச்னைக்குள்ளாக வருவோம். ஒரு காலத்தில் தான் உண்டதுபோக இருக்கும் தானியங்களை வியாபாரம் செய்தார்கள் நம் முன்னோர்கள். அதில் ஒரு நியாய தர்மம் இருந்ததாக நாம் இன்று படிக்கிறோம். ஆனால் இன்றைய சந்தையில் கிடைக்கும் சகல பொருட்களிலும் கலப்படம் கலப்படம். எதிலும் ஒரு நம்பகத் தன்மையற்ற வியாபாரமே நடக்கிறது. ரசாயன முறையில் தவறுகளைச் செய்வதற்கென்றே இன்றைக்கு இயந்திரங்கள் எல்லாம் கூட விலைக்கு வந்துவிட்டன. இதன் மூலம் வியாபாரி அதிக லாபம் அடையலாம்? இப்படி நாணயமற்ற ஒரு போக்கு நம் சமூகத்திற்குள் எப்படிப் புகுந்தது?

நம்மாழ்வார் : நம்முடைய சமுதாயம் என்றைக்கு நீதியாக வாழ்ந்த தென்று நீங்கள் சொல்கிறீர்கள்? அசோகனின் அப்பன் பிந்துசாரன் இருந்தான் பாருங்கள் அவனும் புத்தனும் நண்பர்கள். அப்படி இருந்தும் அசோகன் தொடர்ந்து கொலை செய்து கொண்டே வருகிறானே? எங்கே நீதியாக இருந்தது நம் சமூகம்? நாடு முழுவதும் எப்போது பார்த்தாலும் போராட்டம்?. `இவன்' அவனை வெட்டுவது. `அவன்' இவனை வெட்டுவது. அந்தக் காலத்திலிருந்து இன்று வரைக்கும் அதைத்தானே செய்து கொண்டிருக்கிறார்கள். ஆக, நீதி என்ற ஒன்று வரவேண்டுமென்றால், அது இனிமேல்தான் வர வேண்டும். இராஷராஷசோழன் காலத்தில் தண்டனை இது : மழை பெய்யவில்லை. பூமி விளையவில்லை என்று வைத்து கொள்ளுங்கள். என்ன செய்வார்களென்றால் குடிசையில் இருக்கின்ற வெண்கல பாத்திரங்களை எல்லாம் எடுத்துக் கொண்டு குடிசைக்குத் தீயை வைத்து விட்டு அவனுக்கு சிவ துரோகி என்று பட்டம் கட்டி நாடு கடத்திவிடுவார்கள். இது தஞ்சை பெரிய கோயிலின் கல்வெட்டில் எழுதி இருக்கிறது. நிலத்தையெல்லாம் சிவனின் சொத்தாக எழுதி வைத்துவிட்டார்கள். குத்தகை கொடுக்கவில்லை என்றால் சிவனுக்குத் துரோகம் செய்துவிட்டதாக அர்த்தம். சிவனுக்குத் துரோகம் செய்தவனுக்கு தண்டனை என்னவென்றால், ``மண் கலம் உடைத்து பொன் கலம் எடுத்து குடிசைக்கு தீ வைத்து சிவதுரோகி பட்டம் சூட்டி நாடு கடத்துதல்'' இதுதான் தண்டனை. அப்போ என்றைக்கு நீதி இருந்திருக்கிறது?

தீராநதி : பொத்தம் பொதுவாக எல்லாம் அநீதியானவர்கள் என்று தீர்ப்பெழுதுவது சரியானதா?

நம்மாழ்வார் : பாரதியார் சொன்னதை எடுத்துக் கொள்ளுங்களேன். ``உழுது விழித்து அறுப்பாருக்கு உணவில்லை. பொய்யைத் தொழுது அடிமை செய்வார்க்கே செல்வமெல்லாம் உண்டு'' என்று நான் சொல்லவில்லை பாரதியார்தான் சொல்லி இருக்கிறார். எங்கே இருந்திருக்கிறது நல்ல சமூகம்?

தீராநதி : சரி, இன்றைக்கு இருக்கும் வியாபார சமூகத்தை எப்படிப் புரிந்து கொள்கிறீர்கள்?

நம்மாழ்வார் : உலகத்திலேயே முதன்முதலாக உழைக்காமலே சாப்பிட்ட கூட்டம் வியாபாரிகளின் கூட்டம்தான். பாண்டிச்சேரியில் டூப்ளேவுக்கு சிலை வைத்திருக்கிறார்கள். பண மூட்டைகளாக அடுக்கி அதன் மீது உட்கார்ந்து இருப்பான் டூப்ளே. பணம் குவிப்பதற்காக இங்கு வந்தான் அவன். பணம் குவித்துக்கொண்டு போகிறான் அவன். ஆனால் இந்த நாட்டில் குடிமகன் என்று சொல்லிக் கொள்பவன் டூப்ளே வைப்போல நடந்து கொண்டான் என்றால் இவனும் கொள்ளைக்காரன் போலவே நடந்து கொள்கிறான் என்றே அர்த்தம்.

நன்றி: குமுதம் குழுமத்தின் தீராநதி

Shekhar
2nd June 2008, 10:17 AM
:huh:

NM
2nd June 2008, 10:23 AM
Shekhar!!! after soooo long!!!!!!! How are you??

Shekhar
2nd June 2008, 05:19 PM
Hi NM !!

I am fine, only too too busy. Though I would like to spend some time in hub, I have not been able to. I just read a few threads hurriedly and get back to my work. But I do feel nice whenever I can post something and get some brick bats from you all :lol: :lol:

Shekhar
2nd June 2008, 05:23 PM
See dev, I am right. No body has disagreed with me!!! :) :)

Roshan
2nd June 2008, 05:35 PM
Hi Shekhar :D

app_engine
2nd June 2008, 07:44 PM
Chennai implementing some rules for kuppai:
http://dailythanthi.com/article.asp?NewsID=416412&disdate=6/2/2008

Shekhar
3rd June 2008, 09:23 AM
Hi Roshan !!
Where are you now ?!!
There is a wonderful country called Srilanka. Visit it some time when you have time !!! :wink: :lol:

wrap07
3rd June 2008, 09:31 AM
Chennai implementing some rules for kuppai:
http://dailythanthi.com/article.asp?NewsID=416412&disdate=6/2/2008

This idea has been in the pipeline for quite some time. However, what the corpn need to do is to first clear the existing pile of waste acuumulated in many places and bring about a cleaner picture. As mentioned by general public, waste bin/structures need to be kept in convenient locations to enable the public to make use of it. It is a well known fact fact that the corpn lorries visit places of their interest only. This needs to be regulated and corpn should ensure that they visit regularly and collect the waste from all the places so that huge accumulation and resultant effects could be avoided. & the most important factor for this good venture to succeed is that people, we should do our bit by being self discplined and by ensuring the waste are put in the proper places and not thrown away in any open grounds. It is a sickening state of mind that people exhibit nowadays that since the other person is not disciplined/not following rules, whey should I. This will never help and only blame game will be there. We can first become disciplined and do our duties properly and the rest will follow. It is ironical that in case of every good venture to become successful or possible, people tend to follow rules only if there is a warning of action/fine which they could on their own. Unless the mindset of people change, no law/rules can change the way we live.

Anoushka
3rd June 2008, 05:08 PM
Anou, how abt disposable diapers for kids?... Do you use reusable cloth diapers?... Any tips on that... I read that these disposable diapers form a large part of the landfill... dev: I am guilty of using disposable diapers for Abhi. I used to use cloth diapers when I was in India, it was much easier there as I could wash them and hang them out and they would dry quicker! My wee man had temp lactose intolerance which meant that everytime he had a feed, he would do a dump!

I used to laugh, thOraNam katti thonga vitta maathiri, every day about 20 clothes used to hang out to dry at any point of time, but I find nappies comfortable here as I can't let him loaf around without warm clothes the way I used to do in India. But he hates nappies and so I will be potty training him real quick I would say!

To answer your question, "huggies" claims that it is not true that nappies form a major part of the land fill! I am not sure if this is true though!

If I was in India, I would may be use nappies only for traveling and stick to using cloth diapers when the baby is at home, advangates are many - no nappy rashes, bio friendly, no worries about disposing safely, and yes, easy to potty train :)

app_engine
3rd June 2008, 10:39 PM
Diaper debate:
http://www.gdiapers.com/happy-planet/great-debate

Though this cannot be termed "unbiased", it's quite informative.

app_engine
3rd June 2008, 10:44 PM
Since we were not aware of this third kind of "flushable diapers", we had used the combo of cloth & disposable for our 2nd child born here in MI (mostly cloth at home and the other outside home). Yes, some amount of guilt (சூழ்நிலைக்கைதி என்று சமாதானப்படுத்திக்கொண்டாலும், தவறு தான்). No such issue for the 1st child brought up in India:-)

Roshan
4th June 2008, 10:10 AM
Hi Roshan !!
Where are you now ?!!
There is a wonderful country called Srilanka. Visit it some time when you have time !!! :wink: :lol:

:D

I am in Myanmar now for the Cyclone Nargis project. Will be back to SL in few days.

podalangai
4th June 2008, 03:32 PM
I used to laugh, thOraNam katti thonga vitta maathiri, every day about 20 clothes used to hang out to dry at any point of time, but I find nappies comfortable here as I can't let him loaf around without warm clothes the way I used to do in India. But he hates nappies and so I will be potty training him real quick I would say!

You get cloth nappies with a fleece lining here. That is what we used for a very long time - it becomes more difficult to fit them properly when the child gets older, but we used them almost exclusively when Vaidehi was young. Potty training took a while, because it was more difficult (for us, anyway) because the child couldn't roam around "bare-bottomed" because of the weather.

To answer your question, "huggies" claims that it is not true that nappies form a major part of the land fill! I am not sure if this is true though!

It is not a "major part" in percentage terms. In the UK, Huggies claims it is only 0.1%, although figures from council landfill sites suggest it is probably somewhere between 2%-4%. But in terms of the absolute size, it is still quite huge - around 400,000 tonnes every year just in the UK.

As a compromise, there are "ecodisposibles". These are partly made from recycled products - even the core is a mix of wood pulp and cotton and are biodegradable. Some of them can even be composted once you've flushed the... aah... "baby produce" down the drain. They are costlier, but in the UK you can usually order through your council which subsidises them slightly. There may be a similar scheme in Ireland.

Anoushka
4th June 2008, 04:16 PM
Thanks for the info podalai, will check with the county council here :)

I think my wee man will get potty trained soon as he seems to love roaming around bare bottomed :lol:

Anoushka
6th June 2008, 02:51 AM
[tscii:10f8c81e45]Energy-Efficient Computing Habits
Did you know that the typical desktop computer wastes about half the power it consumes? By increasing the power efficiency of computers, enabling power-management options and taking other steps, you can save up to 60 percent of the electricity your PC consumes, with no compromise to productivity.
To help the environment, save energy and reduce costs, consider taking the following actions.
Enable Power Management Options on Your PC
Configuring the Power Management options on your PC can increase energy efficiency, enhance computer performance, and extend battery life. When enabled, power management places your monitor, hard drives and computer into a low-power “sleep” mode after a period of inactivity. A simple touch of the mouse or keyboard “wakes” the computer, hard drive and monitor in seconds. Power management features are standard in Windows and Macintosh operating systems.
The use of power management can reduce energy consumption and cooling costs, reduce noise, and prolong the battery life of laptop PCs. When your PC consumes less power, you reduce your impact on the environment.
To improve the power efficiency of your PC, use the following power management settings:
• Monitor/display sleep: Turn off after 15 minutes or less (*)
• Turn off hard drives/hard disk sleep: 15 minutes or less
• System standby/sleep: After 30 minutes or less (*)
(*) These are the factory default settings on most systems.

Additional Power Management Tips
In addition, here are some other helpful power management tips:
• Limit screen-saver use. A screen saver does not save energy. In fact, more often than not, a screen saver not only will draw power for the monitor, but also will keep the CPU from shutting down. Instead, set your computer to turn off the monitor first, then go into standby mode after a longer period of inactivity.
• Keeping your Virtual Private Network (VPN) connected may limit your system's ability to enter standby mode. We recommend you disconnect your VPN when not actively using your corporate network
• On Windows Vista consider switching off the Windows Aero interface – this degrades some of the more advanced graphical effects, but will have minimal impact on functionality, whilst significantly reducing your computers power consumption. Click Start, Control Panel, Personalization, Window Color and Appearance, Open classic appearance properties, then select Windows Vista Basic. Click OK to save your changes.
• On more recent Dell laptops, switch off your wireless (Bluetooth and Wireless LAN) when not in use by moving the radio switch located on the side of the laptop to the Off position.
• Many popular computer games and other third party software packages that run in the background will not allow the computer to go to sleep — even if they are paused or the active window is minimized.
• Some Web sites or pages that have active banners and or animated advertisements will not allow the computer to sleep on its own and must be closed, or the computer put manually into a sleep state.
• Advanced users may wish to establish multiple power schemes to address different usage models. For example, you can create a power scheme for playing music CDs that shuts off your hard drive and monitor immediately, but never puts your system into standby mode.
• To maximize the battery life of your laptop computer, consider setting even more aggressive monitor, hard drive and standby/sleep settings for battery mode.
• To further reduce power consumption, turn off computing and peripheral devices that are not being used or not being used for an extended period of time such as overnight.
• Plug all your electronics into one surge protector, so you can easily switch them all off when you leave the room or go to sleep. Most power supplies (such as your cell phone charger) continue to draw power and generate heat even when not attached to a device.
[/tscii:10f8c81e45]

pavalamani pragasam
13th June 2008, 09:18 PM
From a reader's letter in today's 'Times of India, Bangalore':

The report 'IT-BPO cos delete toilet paper'(June 12) shows how blindly we ape the West in all matters without a thought to our culture. It is more hygienic to use water instead of toilet paper. Even the West is debating if water should be used in toilets, with electronic temperature-controlled water jets fitted to commodes/bidets on demand. Likewise, the use of paper napkins and paper towels is on the increase nowadays when simple old-fashioned handkerchiefs or towels could save a number of trees...At least, let this be our contribution to the environment.

wrap07
5th August 2008, 05:07 PM
http://www.hindu.com/2008/08/05/stories/2008080551710200.htm

Bamboo can play a deep role in saving the globe: scientist
Vidya Venkat

CHENNAI: “Everybody is talking about the problem of global warming, but I have a solution for it,” says N.Barathi and displays a bamboo sapling wrapped like a bouquet.

Having sensed disbelief, he explains further, “Bamboo acts as a carbon sink. It absorbs excess Co2 [a greenhouse gas and cause of global warming] in the air with three to four times more efficiency than any other tree. Which means, the more bamboos we plant, the more Co2 is absorbed and thus we can stop contributing to global warming,” he says.

An agricultural scientist, Mr.Barathi worked with the Tamil Nadu Agricultural University in Coimbatore as assistant professor between 1984 and 1986 and ten years ago started his own tissue culture plant manufacturing company Growmore Biotech in Hosur.

Bamboo, he says, can effectively clean water pollution from septic tanks and factory effluents as it has a natural affinity for nitrogen, phosphorous and heavy metals.

The scientist has developed a variety of bamboo called “Beema Bamboo” which is sterile and therefore does not produce seeds and can live up to 200 years provided it gets water, sunlight and nutrients from soil regularly. Planting this at one’s home or garden will benefit generations to come, he says. The scientist has even calculated as to how many bamboo plants Chennai needs to become carbon neutral, that is, to absorb the excess Co2 in the air generated by the city population. “The city needs around 13 million bamboo plants to become carbon neutral,” he says.

He arrives at this calculation thus: The city has a population of about one crore, including its floating population. Multiply this with the per capita emission in Indian cities [assumed as 1.33 ton by him] and this amounts to 13 million tons of Co2. One mature bamboo plant can absorb 500 kg (0.5 ton) of Co2. Assuming 50 per cent of Co2 is absorbed by the existing canopy the balance 6.5 million ton of Co2 needs 13 million bamboo plants to be absorbed completely.

In order to propagate this message, Exnora has set up Bamboo Exnora, a wing which would work towards establishing bio-carbon sinks in and around the city by planting bamboos in Chennai Corporation area and other land available in and around the city. “The bio-carbon sinks would be established by agricultural experts using precision farming technology and drip irrigation method for efficient and effective carbon sequestration,” a release from Exnora said.

If you want to plant bamboo in your house, contact Exnora Tamil Nadu president Mr.Sethur Pari at 9444067668.

app_engine
5th August 2008, 11:15 PM
I'm not very sure about how bamboo can help in water-starved places like TN. My guess is it can thrive where there's plenty of rain or running water or moisture - not based on any scientific facts but purely on the basis of where I saw plenty of them. May be drip irrigation could help do with relatively less quantity of moisture, but do they have enough resources in Chennai to water millions of bamboo trees? Doubtful. That too when the benefits are not in immediate cash returns, it could prove to be a non-starter.

Still it's commendable that such efforts are on.

However, the best efforts should start with prevention. Strict emission norms should help a lot on that count and the results can be seen in a very short time as well.

app_engine
5th August 2008, 11:50 PM
Excellent suggestions here:
http://www.arb.ca.gov/html/brochure/50things.htm

wrap07
6th August 2008, 10:39 PM
yes. your points are valid and bamboo concept seems to be impracticable.

" ethani thinral pitham theliyum" nilamai :) people are searching for solutions where as there are ways to prevent it, as you have explained.

wrap07
8th August 2008, 10:24 AM
http://www.hindu.com/2008/08/08/stories/2008080861190600.htm

‘Lights Out 88888’ campaign launched

Staff Reporter

MADURAI: Are you the one who really yearn to protect environment? If so, switch off your lights for eight minutes. This eight-minute darkness is sure to throw light on the urgent need to protect our environment far more effectively than mere talk on it.

Exnora International has launched its ‘Lights Out 88888’ awareness campaign that enables every individual to contribute to the earth global warming awareness campaign.

The campaign is aimed at appealing to people to volunteer themselves to switch off their lights for 8 minutes at 8 p.m. on the 8th day of the 8th month (August) of the 8th year (2008) of this millennium.

“Even people who do not know about global warming will become more inquisitive about why they are being requested to switch off their lights,” says Azhagumeena, a member of Exnora, and a X Standard student of TVS Matriculation Higher Secondary School.

Apart from switching off, a resolution to introduce new habits into your daily routine such as segregating waste, taking a cloth bag for shopping, switching off the electrical appliances when you finish using them and many others would go a long way in helping to reduce energy wastage and garbage accumulation.

To know more about the causes, consequences and solutions of global warming, visit www.homeexnora.org and to know more about the campaign, www.88888.co.in. Interested persons can sign up at www.88888.co.in, says Azhagumeena.

Next year, ‘Lights Out 99999’ campaign will be launched.

pavalamani pragasam
8th August 2008, 10:36 AM
A laudable attempt! :clap:

wrap07
9th August 2008, 10:46 AM
http://www.hindu.com/2008/08/09/stories/2008080959961000.htm

“If U.K. is worried, we’ve far greater reason to be worried”

Divya Gandhi

Bangalore: The world could see a potentially catastrophic four-degree Celsius rise in temperature by the end of the century, a Guardian report on Thursday has said, and quoted top scientists urging the United Kingdom to “prepare” for such an eventuality.

“If the U.K. is worried, we have far greater reason to be worried,” N.H. Ravindranath, Chairman, Centre for Sustainable Technology, Indian Institute of Science (IISc) told The Hindu. “The implications for India could be catastrophic even if the temperature were to rise by as much as two degrees Celsius because our adaptive capacity is so low,” he said.

Prof. Ravindranath is also member of an expert committee on climate change formed by the Ministry of Environment and Forest in 2007, and one of the lead authors of the reports of Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC) which shared the Nobel Peace Prize along with the former United States Vice-President, Al Gore, in 2007.

“Unlike a developed country such as the U.K. which can mobilise adaptation strategies like building barriers against sea level rise, India does not have the financial, technological or institutional capacity to cope even with existing natural disasters, let alone climate change which would trigger an increase in extreme weather events like droughts and floods,” he said.

Citing the example of the tsunami, Prof. Ravindranath said, “Even though vast resources were made available for tsunami relief and rehabilitation, not even one-third of those who lost their homes have been rehabilitated. And only a fraction of houses built for the victims have been occupied because they were either found to be architecturally inappropriate or sociologically incompatible.”

The most vulnerable will be those who depend directly on natural resources for their livelihood, he said. “Communities who depend on climate sensitive sectors such as dryland farming, fisheries and forest resources will be worst affected,” he said.

The rise in temperature may not be as severe in India as warming in the tropics will be less than it is in the mid-latitude — but even a three-degree rise in temperature would be of severe consequences for India, said J. Srinivasan, Chairman of the Mechanical Science Division and Professor at the Centre for Atmospheric and Oceanic Sciences at IISc. He was also one of the lead authors of IPCC’s reports.

“For instance, parts of Orissa and Andhra Pradesh could begin to see temperatures going up to 50 degrees, and cities like Bangalore will begin to experience temperatures of 40 degrees by the end of the century.”

Can India play a role in countering climate change? “India contributes less than five per cent of the total global carbon emissions, so we have little influence over global climate change. But as our energy requirements increase, it would more sensible to look at renewable energy such as solar energy – rather than coal or oil,” Prof. Srinivasan said.

wrap07
9th August 2008, 10:48 AM
http://www.hindu.com/2008/08/09/stories/2008080958530300.htm

Campaign eloquent as lights fall ‘silent’

Days of campaign culminate in eight minutes’ lights-out, waking people up to global warming

SHEDDING LIGHT: Mayor M. Subramanian and celebrities after eight minutes of silence at 8 a.m. on Friday in support of the ‘88888 lights-out campaign’ against global warming. —

CHENNAI: All the 280 houses of Arihant Towers at Koyembedu switched off their lights at 8 p.m. for 8 minutes in the presence of Chief Secretary L.K. Tripathy and Mayor M. Subramanian to signal the culmination of ‘88888 lights-out campaign’ against global warming by Exnora International on Friday.

Mr. Tripathy stressed the need for conservation of power in government offices.

Governor Surjit Singh Barnala ordered the lights to be put off in Raj Bhavan at 8 p.m. for 8 minutes to stress the need for creation of awareness of global warming and its effects. The Governor said that an awakening should be created among the people of all walks of life on the root cause of Global Warming. We should contribute towards reduction of carbon emissions, he said.

Earlier in the morning a quiet and still Mahatma Gandhi by the Bay of Bengal at the Marina beach got emulated for eight minutes at 8 a.m. as Mayor M.Subramanian and other celebrities from the city silently expressed solidarity with the ‘88888 lights out campaign’ to contain the menace of global warming. This ‘power of silence campaign’ by celebrities who had proved their vocal power to the world was a prelude to the grand finale of the ‘88888 lights out campaign’ at 8 p.m. at Arihant Towers in Koyembedu.

“The corporation of Chennai will continue to work with NGOs in the fight against global warming,” said Mr.Subramanian.

Many students and IT professionals enthusiastically participated in the campaign by switching off the lights in their houses.

“My friends and I switched off lights in our houses at 8 p.m.,” said Harry Martins, a student of Class V of Spartan school Mogappair.

“This is an excellent opportunity for people to contribute towards containing global warming. This campaign for a social cause will certainly create greater awareness about global warming,” said Mayor M. Subramaniam.

The Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC), a group of around 2500 scientists from many countries, convened in Paris in February 2007 stressed the gravity of global warming and the possibility of mass destruction in the world. The IPCC also said that world temperatures may rise by 1.8-4 degree Celsius and subsequently lead to rise of sea level by 28-43 cm.

Global warming is said to cause melting of ice caps in Polar Regions and the subsequent inundation of low lying coastal areas. Increasing frequency of floods and drought may occur due to global warming, say scientists.

“This is a way of conveying to the world the importance of the small, silent ways of controlling global warming by every human being,” said Carnatic musician Sudha Raghunathan earlier during the ‘Power of silence campaign’ at 8 a.m.

“The promotion of simple eco-friendly practices and concepts to reduce carbon foot print and pollution will help control global warming,” said M.B.Nirmal, founder of Exnora International.

The awareness about global warming should be converted into action, said film producer AVM Saravanan.

“Small actions such as checking air pressure of vehicles by individuals will create huge impact as a whole. Every action of individuals count in global warming,” said film director Vasanth.

“We want to create total awareness of global warming and school children are the target group,” said M.Murali proprietor of Sri Krishna Sweets.

After successful completion of the ‘88888’ campaign, Mayor M.Subramanian started the new ‘99999’ wave of campaign by Exnora. “This consistent struggle is needed to save our planet,” he said.

app_engine
19th August 2008, 12:04 AM
WOW statistics:

http://green.msn.com/Blogs/Blog.aspx?bid=614&GT1=45002

app_engine
19th August 2008, 12:35 AM
Very interesting (and hilarious) personality!
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/26220146/wid/18298287/

crajkumar_be
19th August 2008, 02:37 AM
Since we were not aware of this third kind of "flushable diapers", we had used the combo of cloth & disposable for our 2nd child born here in MI (mostly cloth at home and the other outside home). Yes, some amount of guilt (சூழ்நிலைக்கைதி என்று சமாதானப்படுத்திக்கொண்டாலும், தவறு தான்). No such issue for the 1st child brought up in India:-)
Apart from the environmental issues, we find that cloth nappies are better for the baby (rashes etc). We use cloth nappies when we can and disposable diapers when we must

anbu_kathir
31st August 2008, 10:28 AM
I recently attended a lecture on ' Sacred Groves ' ( some stuff about the importance of flora in Hindu rituals of worship ) by Dr. Yellappa Reddy, who was the former secretary of Environment and Ecology, Government of Karnataka.

Both the talk and the person were inspirational. Here are some of his views, and some other stories in the news that carried his name.

On sacred groves : http://www.hinduismtoday.com/archives/1996/4/1996-4-16.shtml

http://www.hinduonnet.com/thehindu/mp/2004/04/26/stories/2004042601640100.htm

:notworthy: :clap:

Love and Light.

wrap07
31st August 2008, 03:20 PM
great. Really amazing. His involvement and his plans.

:clap: :notworthy: :notworthy:

(nice work, anbu )

Anoushka
4th September 2008, 12:14 PM
http://www.partnershipsinaction.org/walk/impact/faces-sandunes.php

http://partnershipsinaction.org/walk/impact/rainwaterharvest.php

wrap07
15th September 2008, 07:33 PM
[tscii:222e4e328a]http://www.hindu.com/2008/09/15/stories/2008091554640600.htm

Tamil Nadu

“Turn to nature to avert global warming”

Staff Reporter

MADURAI: Investments in existing natural capital such as forests should be enhanced to combat global warming, Chief Conservator of Forests S. Balaji said here on Sunday.

While 33 per cent of land should ideally be under forest cover, it was not possible in urban areas.

Hence green cover should be increased by planting trees as environmental benefits accrued will be similar, he said.

He was addressing a prelude to a conference on ‘Global warming: its impact on India’ organised by Indian Institute of Public Administration (IIPA), Madurai Institute of Social Sciences (MISS) and Lions Club of Madurai Aditya.

Highlighting the hazards of global warming, he said that the rise in sea level would displace more than 60 million in Kolkata and Bangladesh. Even Nagapattinam in Tamil Nadu would be in danger as it was below sea level, said Dr. Balaji.

Unseasonal cyclones, floods and rains were already occurring, he said pointing to the examples of Mumbai floods in 2005. On the health front, some 30 new diseases had emerged in the past three decades as new micro organisms had evolved.

India, he said, was among 12 mega diversity centres in the world. The country was home to 45,146 plant species and 81,292 animal species (including 372 mammals and 1,228 animals). To protect such a diverse flora and fauna, loss of forest cover had to be checked.

India had a total of 64.07 million hectares of forests with 37.85 m.ha. being dense ones. The ‘Joint Forest Management’ policy had succeeded in increasing forest cover, albeit by marginal levels.
Locals’ involvement

Involving local people was vital for such policies to succeed. Dr. Balaji said that forests could minimise the impact of global warming by acting as a ‘carbon sink.’

The annual costs of stabilising carbon-di-oxide emissions for a country would work out to around 1 per cent of its gross domestic production. Switching to a low carbon energy economy was also required. “Reduce, Reuse, and Recycle” should be the mantra.

D.V.P. Raja, Chairman, IIPA, Madurai Branch, G. Venkidusamy, Secretary, IIPA, B. Jeyakumar, President, Lions Club of Madurai Aditya, P.N. Narayana Raja, Principal, MISS, spoke.[/tscii:222e4e328a]

padmanabha
15th September 2008, 07:51 PM
[tscii:a8162c3510]In Kerala, most of the tharawads that is ancestral house have sacred groves-
there are places in Kerala which ends in Kaavu, which means sacred grove-like vattiyurkkavu, for instance.

Tree consciousness in India is as old as her people. It worship was the only earliest form of divine ritual which existed even before the erection of temples and idols.
Our ancient culture flourished in the midst of dense forest and river banks. The saints and seers of yore retired to the sylvan retreats for meditation. They imparted knowledge to the pupils in the ashrams located amidst dense woods. So it is natural they developed a genuine love for the forests.

There are number of species of trees that people considered sacred and accordingly worship. Strangely, they are not those that produce the best fruits-the fig for instance.
In rural areas people after a dip in the river or pond while dripping wet walk towards aalthara where stone idols of Lord Ganesa or nagadevatha are installed under the shade of these leafy trees. They circumambulate and pray as it is a symbol of God.

“Oh! Aswatha tree you are the king of trees. Your roots represent Brahma, your trunk siva and your branches Vishnu. Thus you are the emblem of Trimurthi All those who honor you will obtain remission of their sins in this world and a home of bliss in the next “so goes the prayer performed during sandhyvandanam.
The tree with its thick foliage makes a splendid shade and a boon for the wayfarers and traders. In village people assemble under this tree for various activities. It is one of the most beautiful trees and grows to huge size. Its larger leaves are very soft to touch. They are bright green in color and are so light and thin that the slightest breeze sets them motion, producing a pleasant rustle. At dawn, sparrows chirp from the boughs heralding the day break.

As this giant tree produce refreshing coolness it is considered to produce health-giving properties. It is believed that Lord Vishnu was born under this tree and therefore is regarded with great respect and veneration. The tree is not supposed to be cut. The leaves are not to be pulled off unless they are used for the act of worship. The dry twigs are used as samidhs to produce sacred fire. Old timers say that the ceremony of the consecration of the fig if done would assert untold blessings.
The poet HENRY VAN DYKE describes the fig as having arise-“from a wrinkled seed in an earth-bound clod/An arch a column in the temple of God” The germination of this wrinkled seed is interesting. It begins its growth in a crevice. As it grows it grips its substratum. Additional roots from the stem grow downwards. They join with one another forming a thick mass of interlacing stems. Gradually THE TREE RESEMBLES THAT OF A SCULPTURE IN RELIEF. But the peepal that belongs to the fig family does not have the aerial roots and does not spread out much.
The leaves are larger and heart shaped, with the tip drawn out into a long point. They drop of in mid winter. Buddhists call this tree BO AS IT WAS UNDER THIS TREE Gautama Buddha attained enlightenment.

There is a strange custom in India in which the fig tree is solemnly married to the vepu or margosa on the highways the Aswatha and vepu trees are palnted side by side. Their trunks are so closely entwined that they have become incorporated with one another.

In Kerala most tharawads have their won sacred groves which is nothing but a remnant of the primeval forest apart for rendering due reverence to trees. A lamp is regularly lit near grove. Koovalam and jasmine twining on it is an indispensable item in the grove. The trifoliate leaf of koovalam signifies the Creation, the Preservation and the Destruction and it is also considered as the three eyes of Lord Siva. Greenery has always been fascinating the human mind.
The trees that clad hills and dales, river banks and arid waste land have enchanted the poets and the thinkers alike.

The visual art, through centuries were often replete with the beauty of vegetation. If it reflected human mind, such motifs expressed love and attachments to the Nature.

One of the earliest representations of vegetation in our sculpture is that od Kalpavriksha. In the Kulasekhara Mandapam of Sree Padmanabha swamy temple in Thiruvananthapuram one of the pillars represent Siva, sakti panchkshari. Here Siva and sakthi are seated under the kalpa vriksha with parrots and peacocks perched on it.
I is a mythical wishing tree. Bhagavath gita describes it as an eternak heavenly tree that has its roots upwards and its branches extended both upwards and downwards. No one can understand where it ends. Ancient rliteratures describes it as an immortal tree of colossal dimension laden with fruits. Its flowers are of unusual shape with strange aroma. It is believed that the tree fulfill every wish made under its boughs.

Yet another plant that we worship is tulasi. It is considered to be the wife of Vishnu. Salvation is assured to nyone who waters and attends to it daily. Hence it is palnted in most of the houses. The leaves act as a cough elixir and cordial. It was probably in consequence to its medicinal properties that the Hindus defied the palnt in the first instance.

Lotus is known for its tenderness and surpassing beauty and is believed to be the seat of saraswati-the goddess of learning.

Golden sparkling yellow kanikkonna ae worshipped on the occasion of vishu. Paala is notoriously known for its association with goblins, fairies, and all othwer malicious spirits.

THE PSYCHOLOGY OF SUCH IDOLATRY WORSHIP MIGHT BE THIS. WE BELIEVE THAT ALL CREATURES ARE EITHER USEFUL TO MAN AND HENCE IT IS BETTER TO WORSHIP THEM. We pay them more or less attention in proportion to the advantage they offer or the fear that they inspire. This mental make up is transferred from and to the generation next and will continue.
[/tscii:a8162c3510]

wrap07
15th September 2008, 08:47 PM
:clap: yes. In Temples, Trees are reverred as "Sthala Vriksham" and given godly respect for ages.

padmanabha
15th September 2008, 09:32 PM
last week Thiruvananthapuram witnessed a pity sight.
a huge tree planted 150 years ago still healthy providing vast canopy was cut down as part of road widening -inspite of protest :(

anbu_kathir
22nd September 2008, 09:53 AM
World's common birds 'declining'

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/science/nature/7622904.stm

In our place, I guess its easy to notice that sparrows have almost vanished from most parts of cities. The crows aren't going anywhere though.

Love and Light.

Anoushka
30th September 2008, 03:55 PM
http://www.project10tothe100.com/how_it_works.html - check this out. I would love if a few of our hubbers participate :)

Anoushka
9th October 2008, 07:44 PM
Any of you members of freecycle in your area?

http://www.freecycle.org/

There are a good few in India as well, including Chennai :)

app_engine
31st October 2008, 09:04 PM
With acute power shortages in TN, there seems to be more focus on "saving electricity". There's an interesting article in this week's kumudam on this.

http://www.kumudam.com/magazine/Kumudam/2008-11-05/pg28.php

app_engine
7th November 2008, 10:34 PM
சென்னை 2023'ல் தண்ணீரில் மூழ்குமா?

Interesting interview with the Madras University VC here :

http://www.kumudam.com/magazine/Kumudam/2008-11-12/pg28.php

A part from this article :
============
``இப்போ நாம மக்கிப் போன பொருட்களிலிருந்து கிடைக்கும் பெட்ரோல், டீசல், அனல் மின்சாரத்தைத்தான் எரிபொருட்களா பயன்படுத்துறோம். இதனால் காற்று மண்டலம் முழுவதும் கார்பன்_டை_ஆக்ஸைடின் அளவு எகிறுது. அதன் பாதிப்பு இந்தியாவிலும் எதிரொலிப்பதில் ஆச்சரியமில்லை.
தமிழ்நாட்டைப் பொறுத்தவரை கடல் பகுதியின் பரப்பளவு மிக நீ... ளம்.
குறிப்பா, கடலின் ஆழ்பகுதிக்கும் தரைப்பகுதிக்கும் இடையே உள்ள `மீன் ஸீ லெவல்' (எம்.எஸ்.எல்.) சென்னையில் மிகவும் குறைவு. உதாரணமா, ஊட்டியில் `எம்.எஸ்.எல்.'லின் அளவு மூவாயிரம் அடி. ஆனால் சென்னையில் `எம்.எஸ்.எல்.'லின் அளவு என்ன தெரியுமா? ஒரு அடிக்கும் குறைவு. சென்னையில் ராயபுரம் முதல் திருவான்மியூர் வரை இதுதான் நிலை. அதனால் இந்தியப் பெருங்கடலில் நீர்மட்டம் உயரும் போது சென்னைக்கு பாதிப்பு நிச்சயம்!' எனச் சொல்லும் ராய்டு, மரபுசாரா எரிசக்தியைப் பயன்படுத்துவதும், கடல்வாழ் தாவரங்களை வளர்ப்பதும் மட்டுமே இந்த ஆபத்திலிருந்து தப்பிக்க ஒரே வழி என்று `பாசிட்டிவ்'வாகப் பதில் சொல்கிறார்..
``லேட்டஸ்ட்டாக இமய மலையை ஆய்வு செய்து வரும் டெல்லியைச் சேர்ந்த புவி ஆராய்ச்சி நிறுவனம் ஒன்று `குளோபல் வார்மிங்' காரணமாக இமயமலையில் இருக்கும் பனிப்பாறைகள் உருகி வருவதாகவும், இன்னும் 15 ஆண்டுகளில் பனிப்பாறைகள் முழுவதும் உருகி வெறும் கற்கள் மட்டுமே எஞ்சியிருக்கும் என்கிற அதிர்ச்சியான தகவலை வெளியிட்டிருக்கிறது. அதனால் இந்தியப் பெருங்கடலில் நீர் மட்டம் உயர்ந்து சென்னை, நாகப்பட்டினம் உள்ளிட்ட பகுதிகள் கடலில் மூழ்கும் என்று சொல்லி வயிற்றில் புளியைக் கரைத்திருக்கிறது.
================

:-(

app_engine
10th February 2009, 10:59 PM
http://online.wsj.com/article/SB123423427828066461.html?mod=googlenews_wsj

There's some discussion regarding environmental pollution and its role in disasters.

From the article :

Some scientists and environmentalists discount links to climate change, noting Australia has always had extreme weather, especially in rural regions. And while many scientists say the number of wildfires has increased, data on such phenomena are incomplete.

The disaster is prompting environmentalists to step up calls for action. Australia is the biggest per-capita polluter in the developed world, primarily because it relies heavily on abundant reserves of low-cost coal for power plants.

app_engine
25th June 2009, 11:58 PM
http://www.hindu.com/thehindu/holnus/004200906241581.htm

5 yrs in jail + 1 lac fine if you use plastic bags in Delhi :-)

app_engine
30th March 2010, 07:39 AM
http://news.yahoo.com/s/livescience/mysteriouswhaledieoffislargestonrecord

"mysterious" whale die-off / urgent meeting etc.

app_engine
15th April 2010, 09:32 PM
The lack of action (and awareness) is just disgusting :
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100415/ap_on_re_la_am_ca/cb_atlantic_ocean_junk

"Humanity's plastic footprint is probably more dangerous than its carbon footprint," he said.

Plastics have entangled birds and turned up in the bellies of fish: A paper cited by the U.S. National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration says as many as 100,000 marine mammals could die trash-related deaths each year.

app_engine
23rd April 2010, 09:17 PM
Hope this good news is true :

http://www.dailythanthi.com/article.asp?NewsID=562046&disdate=4/23/2010

(Increase in # of wild elephants in TN)

Surya
24th April 2010, 09:06 AM
We can never see Chittu Kuruvees in Chennai anymore! :cry: Heard they all died because they were hypersensitive to the waves given off by the Cell Phone towers

app_engine
19th October 2010, 01:57 AM
Humans will need 2 earths (at current consumption rate) by 2030 it seems (http://green.in.msn.com/greennews/article.aspx?cp-documentid=4470101)

app_engine
19th October 2010, 02:10 AM
These tips are perhaps known to most of us, still good reminders :

In the office:

* Print only when it is absolutely necessary. And promote a 'think before you print' attitude.
* Set computer defaults to print double-sided.
* Proof read documents on screen before printing. You don't want to reprint pages because of errors that could have been avoided.
* Print addresses directly on envelopes and avoid using labels.
* Fill copier trays correctly to avoid paper jams.
* While buying paper or diaries, stick to recycled paper with a high percentage of post-consumer recycled content.
* Opt for uncoloured paper and buy in bulk to reduce packaging.
* Encourage reusing paper that has been printed only on one side.
* Trim mailing lists used to send information to your customers to avoid unwanted and duplicate mailing.
* Change the paper cups in the pantry with ceramic stuff that can be washed and put back on the shelf.
* Use the fastest and paperless way to mail documents -- email.
* Reuse cardboard shipping boxes. Shipping boxes can be reused many times.
* Send wastepaper for recycling.

At home:

* If you can, stop buying the newspaper and read the epaper instead.
* Get your name off mailing lists that send you promotions you don't care about.
* Opt for e-bil options with your phone, electrictity service providers.
* Get washable cloth towels for the kitchen and cut down on paper towel usage.
* Teach children not to tear paper from notebooks to make airplanes.
* If you enjoy reading, join a library rather than buying books.
* Make the kabadiwala a friend and give wastepaper for recycling.
* Switch to recycled toilet paper.
* Don't accept promotional fliers as they are going to go straight into the bin.

http://green.in.msn.com/greenliving/article.aspx?cp-documentid=3225657

app_engine
22nd October 2010, 06:23 PM
http://tamil.webdunia.com/newsworld/news/national/1010/22/1101022056_1.htm

:shock: