PDA

View Full Version : kudi kudiyai kedukkum....

sarna_blr
28th May 2008, 10:06 AM
A man was envy of another good man who is teetotaller, he thought of a plan to seduce him.

He kidnapped him one day and put him in a cell, in the company of a beautiful lady with her little son.

As days goes no ransom or anyother thing normally associated with kidnapping happened.

The goodman also exercised discipline and never set an eye on the lady during the confinement.

The goodman oneday, encountered the evil man and asked why he was kept imprisoned.

The evil man then tried his last try, he told the good man - I want to corrupt you so that I could tell that you are no better than me. If you are this good you have no chance of escaping from my prison. I'll give you one last chance
to commit atleast one action , if you seek release and stated as follows : -

1 - To drink liquor
2 - To enjoy the women
3 - To kill the son.

The good man without any options to get out, thought over it and agreed to drink liquor as it harms only him.

He began to drink , the effect of liquor , made him to desire for the lady in his cell, she refused, and her little son also stood in his way , so he killed the son and raped her. In the end he did all the three evils with the effect of liquor.

Punnaimaran
28th May 2008, 10:32 AM
Avaru oru fullu bottle adichirukkanum, mattaiyAgi pOyirupparu. (Anubavam !!)

One who drinks, gets drunk.
One who gets drunk, goes to sleep.
One who goes to sleep, does not sin.
One who does not sin, goes to Heaven.
So let's all drink and go to Heaven !!!

sarna_blr
28th May 2008, 11:04 AM
nice one PM....

slum areas'la paaththeengana.... comedy ( unmaya sollanum'na tragedy) yaa irukkum...

wrap07
28th May 2008, 03:08 PM
U r right sarna. This is killing many a lives and spoling whole lot.
This is one ill which is spread from lower rungs to top rungs of the society which is responsible for many resultant ills.
neenga sonna mathiri, down trodden and poor people aniyayama ithula muzki kidakanga. romba varuthapada vendiya vishayam.

wrap07
28th May 2008, 03:09 PM
& :notworthy: to your good heart and concern.

sarna_blr
28th May 2008, 03:14 PM
U r right sarna. This is killing many a lives and spoling whole lot.
This is one ill which is spread from lower rungs to top rungs of the society which is responsible for many resultant ills.
neenga sonna mathiri, down trodden and poor people aniyayama ithula muzki kidakanga. romba varuthapada vendiya vishayam.

:yes:

thanni adichchittu pondaattiya kodumai paduththuradhu.... :oops2: nEththu kooda indha hyderabad city'la adhu maadhiri oru incident paaththEn... :banghead:

crazy
28th May 2008, 11:21 PM
Siva Siva :sigh2:

kudikkiravan ellaam kettavanum kidaiyaadhu kudikkaathavan ellaam nallavanum kidaiyaathu ....

kudichittu thaan ella kettadhum pannuradhumnu kidaiyaathu....ulagathila nadakkira kettathu ellaam oru(pala) manidhan kudichadhaal vilayuradhum kidaiyaathu

ur example :roll: kudichathadhaal mattum thaan idhanai evil avar commit panna vendi vandhadhunnu ethukka/ nambha mudiyala...

app_engine
28th May 2008, 11:26 PM
"குடி குடியைக்கெடுக்கும், குடிப்பழக்கம் உடல் நலத்தைக்கெடுக்கும்" - என்று மதுபானக்கடைகளில் எழுத உத்தரவிட்ட அரசே மதுபானக்கடைகளை நடத்தும் காமெடி பார்க்க வேண்டுமா? வாரீர் எங்கள் "வள்ளுவன் தன்னை உலகினுக்கே தந்து வான்புகழ் கொண்ட தமிழ்நாடு":-(

அளவுக்கு மிஞ்சினால் அமிர்தமே நஞ்சு. மதுவுக்கு அந்த "அளவு" ரொம்பக்கம்மிங்கோ.

crazy
28th May 2008, 11:39 PM
arasaangam nadathurathaala thaan edhu kudichittu uyiroda (?) irukkaanga ....adhuvum illenna kallachaarayam kudichittu irakka vendiyadhu thaan :( :oops:

kittadiyil kooda BBC padicha ngaabagam...50 ppl or more died consuming illegal alcohols :cry:

app_engine
29th May 2008, 01:58 AM
crazy,

Didn't you read about the illicit liquor tragedy which is very recent? Most of these were in TN-KA border which is proof enough to dispel the myth that Govt. run liquor shops will "eradicate" illicit liquor.

During my school days, TN was a state practicing total prohibition and I don't remember reading 1000's of people dying of illicit liquor. No doubt, there was kaLLachchArAyam, but at least a huge % of people were afraid of venturing into anything "illegal" and we had less 'kudi' mahankaL. I think during my college days, the Govt relaxed to have IMFL (and I think it's still the same level as TN does not have kaLLu and chArAyakkadaikaL as in Kerala but only the sophisticated "wine shops" that sell IMFL).

Now we see right from underage drinking to drunkenness heavily prevalent in the state:-( I still remember how may of my college mates got spoilt due to those shops that mushroomed then.

Politicians want money (obviously to spend at their will) and liquor helps fill the state coffers.

Unfortunately, I don't think "moderation" is a forte of people in TN:-(

bingleguy
29th May 2008, 03:42 AM

:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

Canada lendhu phone panni en friend sonnaanga :-) lolz ..... udane log in panni paathen .... wow ... awesome :-) ;-)

idhai naan print out eduthu desk la ottalaam nnu plan pannren :P mudinja notice board la ye :P ;-) :lol:

suvai
29th May 2008, 03:48 AM

:rotfl: :rotfl: this is hilarious.....i was literally on the floor....:-)

P_R
29th May 2008, 08:01 AM
Regarding, illicit liquor tragedies, at some level, the general public gets all moral 'judges' the victims with 'they had it coming'. But let's get beyond that and chew on some questions:

Didn't you read about the illicit liquor tragedy which is very recent? Most of these were in TN-KA border which is proof enough to dispel the myth that Govt. run liquor shops will "eradicate" illicit liquor.
What is the ownership structure of TASMAC ? Are the stocks procured and distributed by TN government themselves ? I am under the impression that independent contractors own the facilities bid for the license and receive fixed price allotments, with the clause that the sale price is also fixed by the government. They add to their margins by compromising on poor facilities in the outlets and rampant adulteration.

Most importantly, is the government's revenue directly linked to the volume of sale ? If so, then the persistence of illicit liquor is quite a puzzle. One would expect the government to have dealt with competition brutally. I assumed that the price difference between hooch and lower end TASMAC products - of comparable quality - was minimal. The prevalence of illicit liquor - factoring in the other costs of bribing the police etc. - seems to indicate the difference in price between hooch and its legal equivalent is indeed substantial.

I believe the organized market for liquor is quite open, making price-padding difficult for the brands. The major difference then between TASMAC marketed brands and hooch is tax. If the products are closely priced (i.e. close to the manufacture+ transportation costs etc.) then the price difference, which is driving people to hooch and death, may be the taxes imposed by the TN Government !

But 'sin' taxes are big revenue spinners. In fact TASMAC itself was started as a measure to curb the yawning revenue deficit. Now CPI is asking for TASMAC staff to be made employees of TN Govt - which will dent the revenue deficit once again. That's another story !

How do Pondy and Goa afford to have lower taxes ? If it is by political discipline - then should we say that it is the indiscipline that we are financing by higher taxes and thus illicit liquor deaths ?

Finally, has the IFML promotion drive been at the expense of indigenous liquor in TN. Even in Goa, Fenny - a cashew/coconut based local drink - is cheaper than other branded drinks. Kerala has its toddy shops (does Kerala have illicit liquour deaths?). Has TN's indigenous - less expensive - liquor been suppressed because the government wants to promote 'brands' (kickbacks etc.)

app_engine
29th May 2008, 07:34 PM
Prabhu Ram sir,
I think TASMAC is doing the retail as well for the last few years.

Though a lot of statistics are old from their official website, this points to a very bleak picture of TN:-(
http://tasmac.tn.gov.in/Turnover.htm

In another page in this website you can see that most districts cross their targets:-(

app_engine
29th May 2008, 07:49 PM
Look at this page:
http://tasmac.tn.gov.in/brands.htm

What they say on the top is the typical "lip service":-( and hypocrisy to the core!

app_engine
29th May 2008, 07:53 PM
At the least, they can change their slogan as " அளவுடன் குடித்து வளமுடன் வாழ்க":-)

Lambretta
29th May 2008, 08:08 PM
I live in a little remote (outskirts) area here and I cant find a proper stationary shop in this area, 'have to go 6km to buy a pen/marker....but right across the road from our township there is a wine shop......'can find these within 1km of each other! :roll: :banghead:

app_engine
29th May 2008, 09:30 PM
"மது நாட்டுக்கு, வீட்டுக்கு, உயிருக்கு கேடு" என்று சொல்லுவதன் மூலம், நம் அரசாங்கம் பகிரங்கமாகவே "நாங்கள் கேடு செய்கிறோம்" என்று ஒப்புக்கொள்வது வேடிக்கை தான்.

பொதுவாகக்குற்றம் செய்பவர்களைக்கண்டிக்கும் / தண்டிக்கும் நீதித்துறையின் கண்ணில் இது படவில்லையா? (கேடு வேறு குற்றம் வேறோ?)

கண்டதுக்கெல்லாம் பொது நல வழக்குப்போடுவோர் இதை எப்படி விட்டு வைத்திருக்கிறார்கள்?

It's one thing to allow sale of a product and insisting on the mfr to inform consumers the risks involved. It's a totally different thing for Govt. itself to engage in such biz and also takes pride in ourscoring targets / increasing sales-revenue etc:-(

app_engine
29th May 2008, 09:43 PM
When I think more on this Govt. itself selling chArAyam , if properly handled, this could be a good thing. i.e., if they work on progressively reducing the consumption, by rationing / limiting etc. (which may not be possible if privatized). Things like selling to only those of proper age (and can prove identity) and again only so much per month etc could be a better way of managing this product. That may be the next best thing to total prohibition. However, the current implementation seems to be the opposite, encouraging TASMAC to exceed its targets and make more people alcoholics:-(

P_R
30th May 2008, 11:55 AM
Thanks for the links app_engine. The site is pretty informative.

Almost all districts exceeding their monthly targets comfortably !
Nilgiris - the coldest of our districts - is the only laggard !!
Really curious to know about the way targets are determined. A fixed percentage of the population ? Or, in some way, the traditional liquor consumption propensity of the area is factored in ?
Dunno which one to hope for actually ! :-) :-(

With such 'serious' business drive I am wondering how there hasn't been that much commitment in eradicating hooch. Should we brush it under typical monopoly attitude. Good enough profits, so minimal efforts to go over and above. If the police were being paid off by private shop owners (or the group of licensed sellers) would they have had a better drive to eradicate illicit liquor ? Dunno.

Prohibition is out of question. I have my doubts about the efficacy of advocating abstinence.My take on social/medical problems caused by addiction is a little softer than the problems of illicit liquor Methanol blindness and death.

How does Kerala work with its toddy shop network ?

sarna_blr
30th May 2008, 12:43 PM
<<< How does Kerala work with its toddy shop network ? >>>

but kErala family'yaa ukkaandhu kallu kudippaangalaam..... limittaa use pannuvaanganu kElvipattirukkEn...

app_engine
30th May 2008, 06:14 PM
>>Prohibition is out of question.<<

I think it's still a necessary option for a state like TN. When a relatively prosperous (and more affluent) state like Gujarat can continue to implement this, why not in TN. After all TN had prohibition for a long time, helping many families to develop better, especially those from village / below middle class background.

If that's not possible (i.e. if the Govt. will be bankrupt without the liquor money or the budget will be seriously deficit), they should at least have a plan to progressively reduce the dependency of state exchequer on this money. அப்பனைக்குடிக்க வச்சுக்காசு சம்பாரிச்சு அதை வச்சுப்பிள்ளைகளுக்கு இலவச உணவு கொடுப்பது நல்ல சமுதாயம் அல்ல:-(

In addition, the min age should be 21 (I'm not sure what it is now) which should also be very strictly enforced. By 21, people could be a little mature and know about the vibareetha effects of over indulgence.

app_engine
30th May 2008, 06:23 PM
>>How does Kerala work with its toddy shop network ?<<

Illicit liquor deaths have made news in Kerala as well, from time to time, even though the state had alcohol flowing all the time. Probably the highest per-capita consumption among Indian states (not including union territories).

Only thing positive about Kerala liquor consumption is not many "rolling-on-the-streets" or "making-scence-because-I'm-drunk" as we see in TN. In general, veettukkuL adangi viduvArkaL. However, drunken driving and accidents / deaths related to that is probably very high in Kerala compared to other states.

P_R
30th May 2008, 06:43 PM
I am reminded of the Calvin joke:
Calvin: Mom can I have a cigarette
Mom: Not until your eighteen...
Calvin: Eighteeeeen !!!! By that time I will know better.
:D

app_engine, when I said prohibition is impossible I did not imply the heavy financial dependence.I only meant "real prohibition" is not likely to be achieved with the kind of demand around. The general acceptability has changed over the last few years across, particularly in the middle class segment. When we did have "prohibition" in operation in TN I am reasonably sure illicit liquor would have flourished. It is drowned under the "things were good back then" chants. Even if that were the case I don't see it possible now.The demand is so widespread that hooch will flourish.

they should at least have a plan to progressively reduce the dependency of state exchequer on this money Couldn't agree more. In fact they should not have gotten into it in the first place. They got into it for financial reasons not social reasons. Now, no government will let go.

I don't know enough about Gujarat - perhaps it is a cultural thing there. Thanks for the info about Kerala.
One can only hope to sit on an argument like: "with affluence comes moderation" ? It is a very condescending point of view but not completely incorrect. It falls into the broader "social mobility" goals. In the short term I really see better awareness as the only way any impact can be made. But I am pessimistic about its efficacy even as I suggest it.

app_engine
30th May 2008, 08:10 PM
>>When we did have "prohibition" in operation in TN I am reasonably sure illicit liquor would have flourished.<<

Very true, Prabhu Ram. My father's village was known to be a source of such for many people, who'll flock to the riverside there to get hold of it. However, due to the "illegal" nature of that and fearing "some kind of police action", at least a big percentage of people were deterred from venturing into alcohol at all. That included many of my relatives who grew out of dependency - by sheer fear. With free liquor, that group of people are getting spoilt, unfortunately.

Those who crave for it, even when it is illegal, will anyway go for it and get corrupt. I'm worried less about them. They need to be attended by other agencies, obviously. My worry is those who can be easily salvaged by deterrents like "rules imposed by Govt".

To illustrate: Most people would love to drive way over the speed limit in freeways, jump signals etc. even here in the U.S. However, the sight of cop cars & tickets bring such deeds down drastically - making the accidents / deaths so low despite so many automobiles.

sarna_blr
31st May 2008, 10:21 AM
>>How does Kerala work with its toddy shop network ?<<

Illicit liquor deaths have made news in Kerala as well, from time to time, even though the state had alcohol flowing all the time. Probably the highest per-capita consumption among Indian states (not including union territories).

Only thing positive about Kerala liquor consumption is not many "rolling-on-the-streets" or "making-scence-because-I'm-drunk" as we see in TN. In general, veettukkuL adangi viduvArkaL. However, drunken driving and accidents / deaths related to that is probably very high in Kerala compared to other states.

:yes:

P_R
1st June 2008, 10:34 AM
Those who crave for it, even when it is illegal, will anyway go for it and get corrupt. I'm worried less about them. They need to be attended by other agencies, obviously. My worry is those who can be easily salvaged by deterrents like "rules imposed by Govt".
Agree. Pretty good analogy

Raikkonen
1st June 2008, 12:45 PM
Sariyillai....

see my sig

i have never suffered any problems with my drinking habits.

NOV
1st June 2008, 01:01 PM
The Buffalo Theory:

A herd of buffalo can only move as fast as the slowest buffalo. And when the herd is hunted, it is the slowest and weakest ones at the back that are killed first This natural selection is good for the herd as a whole, because the general speed and health of the whole group keeps improving by the regular killing of the weakest members.

In much the same way, the human brain can only operate as fast as the slowest brain cells. Excessive intake of alcohol, as we know, kills brain cells. But naturally, it attacks the slowest and weakest brain cells first. In this way, regular consumption of beer eliminates the weaker brain cells, making the brain a faster and more efficient machine. That's why you always feel smarter after a few beers."

Moral of the story : Keep drinking!!!!

pavalamani pragasam
1st June 2008, 01:06 PM
:hammer:

NOV
1st June 2008, 01:10 PM
:hammer: :shock:
don't... its a conspiracy to rid the world of drinkers. :P

pavalamani pragasam
1st June 2008, 01:11 PM
vERa nalla vazi illaiyaa? moottaipoochikkaaga veettai koLuththuvathaa?

equanimus
1st June 2008, 02:21 PM
To illustrate: Most people would love to drive way over the speed limit in freeways, jump signals etc. even here in the U.S. However, the sight of cop cars & tickets bring such deeds down drastically - making the accidents / deaths so low despite so many automobiles.
Not quite. There are speed limits in freeways, or any road for that matter, to avoid potential accidents that could be caused by rash driving, not for the welfare of the person who's driving fast. (And, I do believe that regulations -- whatever that exist -- would be implemented much more strictly if drinking gave way to public nuisance in any context.)
A similar scenario would be considering suicide as crime. But, it'd be a good analogy only if drinking is considered to be as "suicidal" as, well, suicide.

That aside, does anyone care to explain why the majority of the downtrodden has, or is supposed to have, access only to "kaLLa" chArAyam?

thilak4life
1st June 2008, 06:09 PM
the majority of the downtrodden supposed to have access only to "kaLLa" chArAyam

Equanimus, that's an utterly stupid assumption (today). TASMAC has reduced that greatly. That being said, if you're looking at numbers. Of course, it's still signifcant, but it's reduced to a great degree. And from recent incidents to go by, it's not just Tamil nadu that suffers from illicit liquor consumption.

OTOH, there's no access to more expensive (high quality) stuff. For this reason, affluent youngsters travel all the way by cars to bangalore, and pondicherry, and get into sh!t (like drunk driving, etc), risking their life in the process.

We have two extremes, all for mabbu. :) :(

app_engine
2nd June 2008, 06:10 PM
Digression:

Not quite. There are speed limits in freeways, or any road for that matter, to avoid potential accidents that could be caused by rash driving, not for the welfare of the person who's driving fast. (And, I do believe that regulations -- whatever that exist -- would be implemented much more strictly if drinking gave way to public nuisance in any context.)
A similar scenario would be considering suicide as crime. But, it'd be a good analogy only if drinking is considered to be as "suicidal" as, well, suicide.

On the speed-limit analogy, it's not just for the safety of "others" but the rule is also to safeguard the one driving, as there is a lot of cost to the society in case there's an accident (i.e. even when no one else is hurt or no other property is damaged but just the driver). That's why you'll notice tickets being given at even 12 mid night in freeways when there're no other vehicles for many miles. And it's enforced more strictly in times of snow etc.
End-digression

Alcohol costs similarly - not just to the one drinking, but if the person gets sick, it becomes a big "social" cost, including monetary :-( So it's not purely suicidal:-) Remember, the Govt. itself admits that madhu is "kEdu" not just for individual but for family and the country! (""மது நாட்டுக்கு, வீட்டுக்கு, உயிருக்கு கேடு" )

pavalamani pragasam
2nd June 2008, 06:34 PM
It is a good gesture in TV channels to show a warning while a drinking/smoking scene is seen!

app_engine
3rd June 2008, 11:14 PM
On the costs of kudi to society, a google search will bring wealth of information. oru sample:
http://www.marininstitute.org/alcohol_policy/health_care_costs.htm

No wonder the U.S. is so strict in enforcing the Age 21 rule in all states. I'm sure there must be similar estimates for TN and if we also take into account those losses that cannot be put in Rs terms, it should far outweigh any monetary revenue the local Govt. gets thru this channel!

crazy
3rd June 2008, 11:17 PM
do we have id card or sth like that in TN? how come we know a person is 21+ or not? :?

app_engine
3rd June 2008, 11:25 PM
கொஞ்சம் பழைய கணக்கு, பக்கத்து மாநிலத்துடையது:
http://www.nimhans.kar.nic.in/deaddiction/lit/Social%20Cost.pdf

கூட்டிக்கழித்துப்பார்த்தால், கோடிக்கணக்கில் அரசுக்கு நஷ்டம் தான். ஆனாலும் ஏன் விலக்கு இல்லை? அரசியல்வாதிகளுக்கே வெளிச்சம்.

இந்தக்கட்டுரையின்படி, மதுவிலக்கு இந்திய அரசியல் சட்டத்தில் பரிந்துரைக்கப்பட்டுள்ளது:-)

app_engine
3rd June 2008, 11:28 PM
do we have id card or sth like that in TN? how come we know a person is 21+ or not? :?

At the minimum "photo voter card" is there now. (Other than ration card, license, passport etc.). The consumer should be asked to show some kind of photo-id to prove age. I'm not up-to-date in the ID stuff in the country, but I know for sure they issued photo-voter-id to all in Kerala at least 6 years ago.

app_engine
3rd June 2008, 11:36 PM
டாஸ்மாக் கடையில் சரக்கு வாங்கிய அனுபவம் உள்ள ஹப்பர்கள் யாராவது இருந்தால் அங்கு வயதுச்சட்டம் கடைப்பிடிக்கப்படுகிறதா, இல்லையா என்று சொல்லுங்கள் ப்ளீஸ்:-)

crazy
3rd June 2008, 11:40 PM
do they have any limitation for selling alcohols?

app_engine
3rd June 2008, 11:52 PM
do they have any limitation for selling alcohols?

There is legal age limit in most Indian states. For TN, I think it is 21:
http://www.un.org.in/untrs/reports/NMH_Resources_03-TTK_Hospital_Hand_Book.pdf

crazy
4th June 2008, 12:06 AM
i meant limitation in consuming ...oru aalukku ivalo thaan vikkalaamnu ethaachum sattam irukkaannu ketten

of course, apadi irundha kooda vera kadaiyila poi vaangi kudikkalaam ...still??

app_engine
4th June 2008, 12:13 AM
crazy, A few posts back, I gave the link to official website of TASMAC which prides in increasing sales (including retail) and also enjoys crossing targets for each district.

I think for kudi makankaL in TN, "sky is the limit" (that's why you see many rolling on floor).

crazy
4th June 2008, 12:18 AM
missed to read that one ... :)

app_engine
5th June 2008, 12:03 AM
From TASMAC website:
=====
TASMAC has had a steady growth in its sales turnover over the years starting at Rs.139.41 Crores in 1983 - 84, it has increased to Rs.7335.00 Crores in 2005-06
=====

I read somewhere that the target for current FY is 10000 cr:-( and going by the target v/s actual indicators, they may cross it easily.

How much % of this goes from the pockets of middle-class & below, who can hardly afford it? How much will be the other associated costs - productivity loss, healthcare costs, violence / accidents etc & opportunity costs (this money & time could have been invested elsewhere etc).

I saw one slideshow in the Forbes website on the "how many problem drinkers per 1000 for each type of industry" for U.S.

Do they have any such stats for India?

app_engine
6th June 2008, 11:09 PM
Digression
kaLLachchArAyam mAdhiri thiruttu lottery:-(
http://www.kumudam.com/magazine/Kumudam/2008-06-11/pg27.php
End-digression

P_R
6th June 2008, 11:24 PM
app_engine, that one needs a login.
What was the issue in the article you linked ?

app_engine
6th June 2008, 11:40 PM
Prabhu Ram,
That talks about the prevalence of lottery shops in TN (mainly Trichy / Karur area where local police close their eyes while a DIG took action to grab huge haul etc). Few years back I think they imposed lottery-prohibition in TN. It seems business worth multiple crores is still happening in a hush-hush way

BTW, Kumudam registration is without charge. Of late, I find there is some social consiousness to this "used-to-be-jolly-only" mag. Especially the pages written by one person called 'Gnani' are quite interesting, who changed his loyalty from vikatan. In this issue he writes briefly about madhu arakkan also.

P_R
7th June 2008, 05:19 PM
Thanks app_engine. Realized that I already had a Kumudam account :-)

TN government imposed a ban on lottery around 2003 I think. It had next to nothing to do with social motives - rumour had it that the key distributor networks couldn't match up to percentage demands made by the 'powers'.

I was a regular buyer of the festival bumper offers of the TN govt. 50-100 bucks a ticket 3-4 times a years against a non-zero probability of winning a few crores !! விழுந்தால் வீட்டுக்கு, விழாவிட்டால் நாட்டுக்கு. I was sorely disappointed when they banned it. I acknowledge though, that I am not the typical consumer they make money out of.

equanimus
7th June 2008, 05:58 PM
Digression:

On the speed-limit analogy, it's not just for the safety of "others" but the rule is also to safeguard the one driving, as there is a lot of cost to the society in case there's an accident (i.e. even when no one else is hurt or no other property is damaged but just the driver). That's why you'll notice tickets being given at even 12 mid night in freeways when there're no other vehicles for many miles. And it's enforced more strictly in times of snow etc.
End-digression

Alcohol costs similarly - not just to the one drinking, but if the person gets sick, it becomes a big "social" cost, including monetary :-( So it's not purely suicidal:-) Remember, the Govt. itself admits that madhu is "kEdu" not just for individual but for family and the country! (""மது நாட்டுக்கு, வீட்டுக்கு, உயிருக்கு கேடு" )
app_engine,
Yes, that makes sense, I think. Anyway, I wasn't really contesting that drinking does NOT affect the society as a whole -- whatever that means. Just that I felt the freeway analogy wasn't all that appropriate. (Even if it's 12 midnight or any time when the traffic is low, there is a potential for accident if a vehicle is speeding beyond "limits.")

app_engine
8th June 2008, 04:43 AM
>>Just that I felt the freeway analogy wasn't all that appropriate. <<

Well,I agree that it's not a 100% similar situation. However, the point I was stressing was when there's no "external"restraint, people do injurious things.

P_R
8th June 2008, 12:12 PM
equanimus, what I got from the analogy was the existence of speed limits (and cops governing them) would atleast restrain those who respected/feared it. The absence of speed limit would encourage people - across the board- to be faster than they can handle when they actually need to be more responsible.

Similarly the existence of prohibition - ineffective and incomplete as it may practically be - would deter many from consuming alcohol. I find the analogy quite appropriate.

app_engine
11th June 2008, 02:01 AM
http://www.thehindu.com/2008/06/09/stories/2008060957690200.htm

As quoted in this news report, the distance between a liquor shop and a school (or place of worship) should be ONLY 50 metres, in municipal areas. இப்படி ஒரு ரூல் இருந்தாலும், இல்லாவிட்டாலும் பெரிய வித்தியாசம் இல்லை. 50 மீ எல்லாம் ஒரு தூரமா? (நம்ம தமிழ் சினிமா ஹீரோ ஒரே தாவில் கடக்கும் தூரத்தை விட இது கம்மி:-))

sarna_blr
11th June 2008, 05:18 PM
குடிபோதையில் நின் வழி-உன்
குடி வீழ வெட்டும் குழி

--கிறுக்கன்

:clap:

Thamizh_Thondan
12th June 2008, 06:09 PM
Really awesome lines... I printed n pasted the quates...

"One who drinks, gets drunk.
So let's all drink and go to Heaven !!!"

And put a title "The way to Heaven"... Wow!!!

pavalamani pragasam
12th June 2008, 06:12 PM
athu sari!

crazy
12th June 2008, 10:16 PM
:rotfl:

app_engine
24th June 2008, 05:47 PM
http://dailythanthi.com/article.asp?NewsID=421026&disdate=6/24/2008

If the claims that allowing liquor / tasmac selling liquor etc will bring down kaLLachchArAyam and related problems, why do we keep reading such news with alarming frequency?

I don't think the rate of such incidents were any higher during the prohibition period (used to read newspaper even more scrutinizingly those days thanks to the time-availability factor). It's just a "convenience-propaganda" of the politicians / liquor lobby to cheat people and mint money. What everyone fails to realize is while it may be practically impossible to root out illicit liquor, it is very much possible to remove or at least reduce "legal liquor" (put the prohibition deterrent or other measures to reduce consumption) and save thousands of families who normally fear law and would shy away from liquor.

However, I'm sceptical that any politician in TN is going to attempt that in the near future:-(

app_engine
24th June 2008, 06:11 PM
At the minimum, the following actions should be taken:

a) Enforcing the age limit very strictly in sales (after all Govt sells all the liquor even in retail); also punish any underage drinking in even private settings.

b) Enforce strict regulations about drunken-driving by revoking driving license (and not just fine)

c) Put a cap on max sales from any outlet - can't go more than x # of bottles with a progressively reducing target

d) Less number of outlets and these should be only in main shopping areas downtown and nothing in suburbs / villages. In other words, make the buying experience as difficult as possible.

e) Make individuals get permits to buy liquor (moderation can be enforced this way) and make the process as cumbersome as possible to get these permits (all kinds of identity checks etc., as much as for buying guns and explosives).

I'm sure sounding like an extremist here, but this is a result of seeing so many families getting ruined and running into serious problems, with my own eyes, for years :-(

wrap07
24th June 2008, 10:26 PM
nice points app_engine esp (e), identity part is a brilliant thought &
(d), as u had rightly pointed out, they should be placed far and few. These suggestions will certainly make an impact.

app_engine
25th June 2008, 09:11 PM
Thanks wrap07:-)

In Kerala all liquor stores are closed on Gandhi Jayanthi and neither can bars sell that day (much like the Dec 24th eve & 25th in U.S.) So, even though it was a holiday when many would like to relax with booze, thanks to the strict enforcement of this rule, the consumption will be lowest with associated benefits. (Few who are hell-bent would've bought the day prior, but still I've seen many of my colleagues going dry that day).

Is Oct 2 dry day in TN too? They can preferably have other dry days too (on all national / local holidays, for example, when the consumption tends to go up steeply)

app_engine
25th June 2008, 09:26 PM
Another very simple thing that Govt can do is to close any drinking in tasmac stores - only sell and ask people to drink in their homes. There'll be a lot more moderation / control that way with this very simple measure. (Again there could be culprits who try to drink in public places and elsewhere other than homes and that will have to be dealt with, but at least for those who want to be law-abiding, this will be a moderating deterrent)

app_engine
25th June 2008, 09:28 PM
Ofcourse, Govt will think about any measure only if they believe that "குடி நாட்டுக்குக்கேடு". The current thinking seems to be otherwise:-(

wrap07
25th June 2008, 10:20 PM
yeah. And shops with "bar facility" are quite visible and they could atleast stop with selling and do lesser damage.

Oct2nd is an announced dry day with lesser compliance. After all Oct 2nd itself has become is an annual ritual celebrated, if i can say that, out of compulsion. Mahathma's name & pictures are hardly seen now (even replaced) and his ideals extinct long back.

MrIndia
26th June 2008, 12:05 AM
Another very simple thing that Govt can do is to close any drinking in tasmac stores - only sell and ask people to drink in their homes.

following two problems:

1) more number of people will be lying the streets...
2) just imagine if people start drinking in their house..
a. children and neighbours will get affected etc.

app_engine
26th June 2008, 08:51 PM
MrIndia,
Can't agree on your #1 as we don't see as many lying on roads in Kerala or elsewhere where people consume alcohal at homes. Only when they drink in tasmac, they can pass out on the way:-) It'll be the other way around, less # of people lying on the road.

On point 2 - that the children are watching could be a big deterrent to many to stop the habit. I know many people who will choose not to drink at all, just to avoid the risk of being seen by the kids (or go to upstairs / basement etc to do it in more private settings). Overall, the consumption will be a lot more moderate than in such situations where so-called-friends encourage to take more pegs in a bar.

Nerd
27th June 2008, 12:44 AM
App, there is this side-effect w.r.t point 2: I personally know a couple of guys, who picked up drinking and they claim their dad's habit of drinking at home forced them to this.. People who are in the age group of 16-21 are very vulnerable to these things and seeing their dads do that at home will be like a license for them. Also most kudimagans don't care or don't bother about drinking in front of their chidren if they are not toddlers !

MrIndia
27th June 2008, 01:00 AM
MrIndia,
Can't agree on your #1 as we don't see as many lying on roads in Kerala or elsewhere where people consume alcohal at homes. Only when they drink in tasmac, they can pass out on the way:-) It'll be the other way around, less # of people lying on the road.

most of them will drink on the way to their home i.e streets.

one more thing , wife will get a beating to prepare side dish for the drink :?

app_engine
27th June 2008, 01:39 AM
ok, as an alternative to the suggestion to force-drink-at-home, let's suggest this way:
Have a rule that the selling place and drinking place should be at least 200 meter away:-) That way no dynamic supply from the store. And also, close the store at, say 6 PM. That could be a "moderating" factor.
(Obviously TN is not going to follow any of the suggestions above, still "ஒரு சமூகப்பொறுப்புணர்வு தான்":-))

MrIndia
27th June 2008, 02:32 AM
nice..

still some practical thoughts may be applied.

why people drink?

a) to get high... this we cant control...

b) kavalaiya marakanum-nu... there shud be more advertisements of psychiatric medicines and stress relievers and how they can use it effectively.

c) friends and for company sake.. more awareness of drinking effects and having fruit beer(0% alcohol) in liquor shops..

d) under age drinking... police shud be more effective on this

:?

app_engine
27th June 2008, 02:52 AM
why people drink?

another reason is the supposedly "macho" image attached to it. In Kerala, this is a very common saying 'ஆணானெங்கில் அதொக்கெ வேணம்' and I've seen one young wife with a baby lamenting after her husband became an alcoholic as to how she is partly responsible in encouraging him / defending him in front of parents / in-laws on this. In reality, there's nothing manly about drinking ( if we go by "Raiders of the lost ark", women may have more "capacity":-)) and it may even result in 'ஆண்மைக்கோளாறு'. Unfortunately neither men nor (young) women seem to realize this until it's too late.

app_engine
27th June 2008, 09:02 PM
http://www.kumudam.com/magazine/Kumudam/2008-07-02/pg29.php

From this article:

பூசாரிப்பட்டியில் `சாராயம் காய்ச்சமாட்டோம். இனி, திருந்தி வாழ்றோம்' என்று சொன்ன 44 குடும்பங்களுக்கு முன்பிருந்த காவல்துறை அதிகாரி ஒருவர் பேங்கில் லோன் வாங்கிக்கொடுத்தார். அந்த நேரம் பாத்து அவரை டிரான்ஸ்ஃபர் பண்ணிட்டாங்க. அதுக்கப்புறம் வந்த அதிகாரி, அவங்க திருந்தறதுக்காக எடுத்த போட்டோவை வச்சுக்கிட்டு அவங்களை மறுபடியும் வியாபாரம் பண்ண தூண்டிவிட்டுட்டாரு. இப்ப அவங்களால வெளிய வந்து வேற தொழிலும் செய்ய முடியாத அளவுக்கு காவல்துறையே தூண்டி விடுற அதிபயங்கர துரும்புகளாக ஆயிட்டாங்க.புதுக்கோட்டை மாவட்டம் கருக்காக்குறிச்சி, வடகாடு உட்பட பல கிராமங்களில் சாராயம் காய்ச்சுபவர்களுக்கும் இந்த நிலைதான்'' என்கிறார்கள்..

wrap07
27th June 2008, 10:57 PM
As brought out by app_engine, the easy availability as also the freedom to drink at comfortable place needs to be taken away strictly. The facility to drink at the shops has no doubt improved upon the visiting numbers and they are also removed of a psychological embrassment or uneasiness which they may face in their house or other places. This is adding fuel to the fire.

It is really sad that those who do physical labour have been misguided that if they take recourse to drinking, they will be relieved of their body pain/work longer hours and will be on a high.

& it is also seen that the drivers of cabs/lorries chat or boast of that they could drive without rest for days courtesy...... which causes lot of accidents also.

There should be regular and repeated advt/information on the ill effects of this and efforts should be taken in a cohesive manner involving Govt/media/public. Well, for once, media can try be constructive.

It will be a mind boggling task but for the sake of gullible populace, someone has to bell the cat and make atleast future generatations not fall prey to this evil.

app_engine
30th July 2008, 09:37 PM
http://kumudam.com/magazine/Reporter/2008-08-03/pg12.php

Looks like liquor related industries are the most efficient to come up and operate:-(

app_engine
30th July 2008, 09:40 PM
Even though the above is a sensationalist report (I wonder who are the workers in this construction project, do they bring all of them from far-far-away kingdoms?), the very possibility that such industries can spring up so fast while every other project will be fought tooth-and-nail by opposition means something really bad for people.

joe
5th August 2008, 01:29 PM
http://bp0.blogger.com/_oIHENSknqYA/SJfFd5tMWfI/AAAAAAAACQI/4wocF7h6yCo/s1600/pmk%2Bprotest.jpg

:lol: :lol:

app_engine
17th October 2008, 09:12 PM
டாஸ்மாக் பணியாளர்களுக்கு 20% போனஸ்.

http://dailythanthi.com/article.asp?NewsID=444890&disdate=10/17/2008

அவர்களது சங்கம் தமிழக அரசுக்கு நன்றி சொல்லுவதிலிருந்து:

" தினம் 13 மணிநேரம் பணி, வார விடுமுறையின்றி மிகச் சிரமமான சூழ்நிலையில் பணிபுரிந்து, ஆண்டுக்கு ரூ.12 ஆயிரம் கோடி லாபம் ஈட்டித்தரும் இந்த பணியாளர்களுக்கு 20 சதவீதத்திற்கும் அதிகமான போனஸ் வழங்கியிருக்க வேண்டும்"

12,000 கோடி லாபம் (அப்போ மொத்த வருமானம் இன்னும் பல மடங்கு) = குடிமகன்களின் குடும்ப நாசம்:-(

app_engine
29th October 2008, 02:36 AM
http://dinamalar.com/fpnnews.asp?News_id=2137&cls=row3

Disturbing article:-(

(100 cr sale of liquor on just diwali day in TN, and ever increasing sales by tasmac)

leosimha
30th October 2008, 11:10 AM
http://bp0.blogger.com/_oIHENSknqYA/SJfFd5tMWfI/AAAAAAAACQI/4wocF7h6yCo/s1600/pmk%2Bprotest.jpg

404 Error Not Found. :(

joe
30th October 2008, 12:30 PM

404 Error Not Found. :(

Copy the link and paste in browser ..Don't miss it :lol:

app_engine
30th October 2008, 08:24 PM
Copy the link and paste in browser ..Don't miss it :lol:

This is hilarious:-)

I'm reminded of the NSK song in nallathambi where a portion preaches against alcoholism. However, suddely, NSK will sing 'குடிச்சுப்பழகணும்' and the female voice (TAM?) will ask with a shock, what is this reverse, all of a sudden? And the portion that follows is quite interesting.

ஆ : படிச்சுப்படிச்சு சொல்லுவாங்க, பாழும் கள்ளை நீக்கிப்பாலைக்குடிச்சுப்பழகணும்!

பெ : பாலு வாங்கப்பணமில்லாட்டி?

ஆ : டீ'யைக்குடிச்சுக்கோ!

பெ : டீ'யும் கெடுதலுன்னு தெரிஞ்சா?

ஆ : மோரைக்குடிச்சுக்கோ!

பெ : மோரு நமக்குக்கெடைக்கல்லே?

ஆ : நீராகாரம் இருக்கவே இருக்கு, குடிச்சுப்பழகணும்...குடிச்சுப்பழகணும்
காலையில் பல் தேய்த்தவுடன் கண்டிப்பாக நீராகாரம் குடிச்சுப்பழகணும்.

:-)

Nerd
30th October 2008, 08:53 PM

(100 cr sale of liquor on just diwali day in TN, and ever increasing sales by tasmac)
Jeez :shock:
A very disturbing trend. Drinking has become a status symbol offlate in India and people are succumbing to peer pressure. The numbers are increasing exponentially each year. And people are not social/casual drinkers in India, often the conversation would be how many pegs they had, who has the best capacity and who is going to be the last man standing etc :lol:

Sanguine Sridhar
30th October 2008, 09:12 PM

Jeez :shock:
A very disturbing trend. Drinking has become a status symbol offlate in India and people are succumbing to peer pressure. The numbers are increasing exponentially each year. And people are not social/casual drinkers in India, often the conversation would be how many pegs they had, who has the best capacity and who is going to be the last man standing etc :lol:

:lol2:

Nerd
30th October 2008, 09:19 PM
:shhh: namakku pinnAdi varra sandhadhigal thirunthattumae-nu sonnEn :lol2:

Sanguine Sridhar
30th October 2008, 09:22 PM
Btw TASMAC in Suburban areas are selling only the local brands, don't ask me how do I know :oops: . You should see the crowd, wow! :clap: And in another shop enammo perumaal kovil-la unndakatti vaangurathuku nikura Q maadhri nikkiraanga, I was totally shocked to see that discipline, paatha pakkathula police jeep nikidhu :lol2:

MADDY
30th October 2008, 09:30 PM
:shhh: namakku pinnAdi varra sandhadhigal thirunthattumae-nu sonnEn :lol2:

adhukku neenga musue-thla ezhudhi vechittu pakkathulaye okkandhidanum :lol:

Btw TASMAC in Suburban areas are selling local brands, don't ask me how do I know . You should see the crowd, wow! And in another shop enammo perumaal kovil-la unndakatti vaangurathuku nikura Q maadhri nikkiraanga, I was totally shocked to see that discipline, paatha pakkathula police jeep nikidhu

:lol: the most disturbing aspect in this is, theres crowd in tasmac as early as 11AM near my places :cry: .........and when we renovated our house recently, most of the construction workers used to come drunk to work (how i wish i could :lol: )........and trust me guys, during IPL time, bars with giant screen were running reservations for weekends :oops: .........Indians are becoming heavy drinkers :oops: .......namba odambukku idhellam othhukkuma :lol:

joe
30th October 2008, 10:21 PM
And people are not social/casual drinkers in India, often the conversation would be how many pegs they had, who has the best capacity and who is going to be the last man standing etc :lol:

:exactly:

thamiz
31st October 2008, 04:05 AM
The numbers are increasing exponentially each year. :lol:

Seems like we are making progress! :lol:

sarna_blr
1st February 2009, 04:07 PM
BEWARE OF ALCOHOL

An addiction to alcohol is a lasting same ailment that can damage a person's career and their family. It can also be fatal to their health if left untreated.

Substantial alcoholic drinks in-take on a regular basis causes chemical changes to a individual's brain. For example, it alters the composition of the body's gamma-aminobutyric acids, which function to inhibit impulsiveness, and glutamate, which fuels the nervous system. Unnecessary drinking also tends to drain these chemicals, which can depress the nervous system and hurt important areas of the brain.

Loss of control over the tongue and posture is symptomatic of an liquor-poisened bring, as is weariness, memory loss, weakness of the eye muscles, and paralysis. In critical cases, long-term substantial drinking can even send a person into a coma from which they may never awake.

In addition to the potentially lethal effects of alcohol poisening to the brain, other organs, such as the liver, can also be acutely effected. Unnecessary drinking causes alcoholic substances hepatitis, a disease that is characterized by inflammation of the liver. Its warning signs include appetite loss, vomiting, nausea, abdominal pain, fever, tenderness, jaundice, and dizziness. If the hefty drinking goes on, the hepatitis can lead to cirrhosis, which is characterized by progressive scarring and obliteration of the liver tissues.

Alcohol-addicted persons can also suffer serious gastrointestinal problems, such as inflammation of the stomach, that leads to a illness called 'gastritis'. A gastritis sufferer is unable to absorb nutrients through their stomach, such as vitamin B, folic acid and thiamin.

When alcoholic substances is consumed in heavy quantities, it also damages the pancreas and interferes with the organ creation of hormones that regulate metabolism of the body by creating enzymes for digestion. It can also led to a assortment of cardiovascular problems, such as high blood pressure, and can even damage the heart muscle - a condition called 'cardiomyopathy'. Cardiomyopathy significantly builds up the possibilities of heart attack.

Diabetes is another common disease amongst alcohol-addicted persons. High liquor intake prevents the liver from releasing glucose, which intensifies the risk of hypoglycemia (characterized by low blood sugar). This ailment is particularly dangerous for someone who is already suffering from diabetes and is taking insulin to reduce their blood-sugar level. Further, prolonged alcohol abuse tends to damage the reproductive system, leading to erectile dysfunction in men and menstrual problems in women.

Alcoholic drinks abuse during pregnancy is particularly grave, as it can give rise to fetal alcoholic drinks syndrome, where the child is born with defects, such as a small head, short eyelids, heart defects, and other abnormalities. And finally, research also displays that continued alcoholic drinks abuse places one at higher risk of cancer and diseases of larynx, esophagus, colon, and liver.

app_engine
1st February 2009, 06:58 PM
sarna_blr,
Nice article.

Should you still keep the question in the title of the thread (i.e..idhu sari dhAnA)?

sarna_blr
9th February 2009, 07:51 AM
app_engine, I didnt get you :?

sarna_blr
9th February 2009, 07:58 AM
PUBBING MAY CAUSE CANCER

Pubbing too much might just lead to cancer. Even if you dont smoke or are a teetotaler, just walking into a pub full of smoke has you inhaling 4000 toxic chemicals at any given point of time, reveal statistics. And with cancer being increasingly diagnosed in the age group of 30-45years, smoking and drinking are cited to be the biggest factors.

from todays DC.

app_engine
9th February 2009, 08:58 PM
sarna,

After placing so many facts that cry aloud that liqour destroys people and families, why you should still keep the "is it correct? (idhu sari dhAnA)" in the title of this thread?'nnu kEttEn.

innum puriyalaiyA?

sarna_blr
10th February 2009, 12:33 AM
app_engine, ippO ?

Sanguine Sridhar
10th February 2009, 11:27 AM
sarna,

After placing so many facts that cry aloud that liqour destroys people and families, why you should still keep the "is it correct? (idhu sari dhAnA)" in the title of this thread?'nnu kEttEn.

innum puriyalaiyA?

People also remember that high calorie, fatty junk foods are much harmful than alcohol. Fact is that a minimal amount of alcohol is good for health. My grandfather used to take a peg everyday before dinner. Problem in India is the sidedish or snacks which are taken with the alcohol are too much. That too all spicy, oily fries. Now mixing up alcohol with all these junks would definitely greet deadly diseases.

Vidunga idha pathi pesuna pesikitte irrukalaam.

app_engine
10th February 2009, 08:06 PM
app_engine, ippO ?

YES! Good, sarna!

sarna_blr
10th February 2009, 08:43 PM
sarna,

innum puriyalaiyA?

People also remember that high calorie, fatty junk foods are much harmful than alcohol. Fact is that a minimal amount of alcohol is good for health. My grandfather used to take a peg everyday before dinner. Problem in India is the sidedish or snacks which are taken with the alcohol are too much. That too all spicy, oily fries. Now mixing up alcohol with all these junks would definitely greet deadly diseases.

SS, there are lot of factors to be considered regarding topers, like Economic status( ie, daily labour vs SW Engg vs Business man ), way of behaving after consuming alcohol (irrespective of quantity) and their side-effects ( not alone health ) etc

Friday night'aa, then buy bacardi or smirnoff with sprite or soda along with chicken/mutton is an enjoyment........ that may give little health problem like saturday hangover, u mentioned etc . This has become a fashion in room-with-4(or5)-bachelors life :P

But wt about the daily labours who drink for blanking out the tiredness/hard-life , which inturn leads them to flummox their dependents dismally :sigh2: kodumai :x :x

app_engine
15th June 2009, 09:36 PM
http://www.dinamalar.com/fpnnews.asp?News_id=4082

One of the posts from readers has this interesting phrase :

"தமிழன் என்று சொல்லடா, தலை நிமிர்ந்து (தள்ளாடாமல்) நில்லடா" :lol:

Also the news article talks about "import" :-)

So, is each state in India a different country as far as liquor is concerned ? Very good national integration!

app_engine
22nd June 2009, 11:31 PM
http://www.dinamalar.com/Arasiyalnewsdetail.asp?News_id=11774

டாக்குட்டரே கள்ளு குடிக்க அனுமதி கொடுத்தாச்சு!

P_R
9th July 2009, 02:26 PM
Gujarat Hooch Tragedy: Death toll climbs to 73 (http://www.dnaindia.com/india/report_gujarat-hooch-tragedy-death-toll-climbs-to-73_1272491)

Punnaimaran
11th July 2009, 11:02 AM
Events like these lead me to think that it is better to have alcohol shops run by the state under strict quality control.

I still remember the "dry days" of TN when one had no other alternative than to take kaLLa sArAyam or kaLLu. The customers could avail the open bar under the palmayra trees, or had to bring their own bottles (ofcourse concealed in their shirts) if they had to take it to their houses.

app_engine
21st July 2009, 07:17 PM
http://dailythanthi.com/article.asp?NewsID=501982&disdate=7/21/2009

raise to tasmac employees...'சியர்ஸ்' சொல்லி கொண்டாட வேண்டியது தான்...

app_engine
21st July 2009, 07:28 PM
hooch traders - politician nexus :
http://www.expressindia.com/latest-news/political-duel-over-broker-of-death/491901/

app_engine
1st August 2009, 12:25 AM
[html:21745a2f59]
http://img.dinamalar.com/data/images_news/tblfpnnews_93325006962.jpg
[/html:21745a2f59]

சில சமயங்களில் குடி செய்யும் உதவி :-)

http://www.dinamalar.com/fpnnews.asp?News_id=4516

app_engine
19th October 2009, 11:14 PM
240 cr sale in TN tasmac stores on diwali day :

http://www.dailythanthi.com/article.asp?NewsID=521103&disdate=10/19/2009

app_engine
22nd October 2009, 01:26 AM
[html:283003fcd4]
http://img.dinamalar.com/data/images_spl/fpnmix_95887392760.jpg
[/html:283003fcd4]

School age girl buying putti from tasmac (for resale and make some money) :-(

joe
22nd October 2009, 03:28 PM
sarna,

innum puriyalaiyA?

:lol:

Sridhar,
நம்ம ஊருல குடிக்காத மக்களுக்கு உள்ள கருத்து ..இரண்டு வகை மனிதர்கள் தான் இருக்க முடியும் . 1. குடிகாரர்கள் 2.ஒரு முறை கூட குடிக்காத உத்தமர்கள் :) வச்சா குடுமி ..அடிச்சா மொட்டை.

app_engine
10th March 2010, 02:22 AM
http://lifestyle.in.msn.com/health/article.aspx?cp-documentid=3653138

dipprent weit lass strataji :-)

rajraj
10th March 2010, 04:57 AM
My grandfather used to take a peg everyday before dinner.

unga thaatha senjaarunnu neenga seyaadheenga ! :lol:

app_engine
4th July 2010, 04:56 AM
மிடாஸ் பற்றிய மு.க.வின் விளக்கம் (http://www.dailythanthi.com/article.asp?NewsID=578000&disdate=7/4/2010)

As the plundering of people's money thru TASMAC by Midas wasn't affected even after DMK came to power, "discerning people" could guess that there's some business collab going on between mu-kA ghOshti & JJ ghOshti.

Karunanidhi cleverly terms that as DMK's magnanimity (i.e. allowing midAs to continue:-) )

Looks like there's some "sharing issue" now and ladAi started :-)

Sudhaama
9th July 2010, 06:02 PM

Most ILLUSTRATIVE to justify NON-ALCOHOLISM-

-- for any and every member of Mankind.

--whether this is TRUE EPISODE or FICTION--

-to remind US On the WORTH OF LIFE--

-- backed by Self-maintained CHARACTER.!!!

A man was envy of another good man who is teetotaller, he thought of a plan to seduce him.

He kidnapped him one day and put him in a cell, in the company of a beautiful lady with her little son.

As days goes no ransom or anyother thing normally associated with kidnapping happened.

The goodman also exercised discipline and never set an eye on the lady during the confinement.

The goodman oneday, encountered the evil man and asked why he was kept imprisoned.

The evil man then tried his last try, he told the good man - I want to corrupt you so that I could tell that you are no better than me. If you are this good you have no chance of escaping from my prison. I'll give you one last chance
to commit atleast one action , if you seek release and stated as follows : -

1 - To drink liquor
2 - To enjoy the women
3 - To kill the son.

The good man without any options to get out, thought over it and agreed to drink liquor as it harms only him.

He began to drink , the effect of liquor , made him to desire for the lady in his cell, she refused, and her little son also stood in his way , so he killed the son and raped her. In the end he did all the three evils with the effect of liquor.

If anybody claims that INTOXICATION is a NOVEL PLEASURE --

--I will forcefully emphasise that being Non-Alcoholic is a still more GREAT and GREATEST PLEASURE in Life--

--especially in the long run.

My such a finding conclusion is based on my long, vast and varied Life-experience of about EIGHT DECADES---

--not only by Self- experience but also by observing many others in several nations worldwide--

--India and abroad including USA--

--to learn how INTOXICATION RUINS the Person in every and all respects---

--as also all aspects pertained and allied with him / her--- like Family, Status, Wealth, Dignity, Character, Life-purpose, Social Reputation and what not.

Neither Science nor Religion grant sanction nor advise Mankind to be alcoholic by any reasoning.

It may be interesting to know that--

--while the various Religions differ in the most and many respects amongst themselves--

--No Religion authorises Drinking Alcohol or any such Intoxication--

--whatever be the justification.

Science too declares that Alcoholism / Intoxication vitiates ones PERSONAL CHARACTER--

--as well as the BASIC SELF-MIGHTS of Wisdom and Mind-Powers too.!

Yes the Person LOSES ONE-SELF in all respects, especially Health.

Intoxication is A SLOW-POISONING--- SUICIDAL HABIT.!

ilayapuyalvinodh_kumar
9th July 2010, 06:37 PM
:clap:

ilayapuyalvinodh_kumar
9th July 2010, 07:20 PM
From today's Dinakaran newspaper:

A drunkard man beats up his wife and son aged 45,36,19 respectively. He attacked them with karla kattai and they became unconsicious and fell down. Thinking that they had died the man became mentally upset and later went to a nearby village and hanged himself on a tree. After sometime mother and son woke up and got themselves admitted to a hospital. Since the wife found her hubby missing she informed to her village police who launched a search mission but were unable to find her hubby. Meanwhile the nearby village police discovered a man hanging from a tree and later brought him to the same hospital for post - mortem. Incidentally the wife came out of her ward and saw her hubby's body passing by. Then as usual she started..... :cry: .. Kaneer kadhai....

app_engine
9th July 2010, 07:59 PM

You're incorrect here.

At least one holy book - The Bible - doesn't condemn moderate use of alcohol, though it does not approve of drunkenness. For e.g., the first miracle of Jesus was to transform water into wine and his "last supper" had wine.

Sudhaama
9th July 2010, 10:07 PM

You're incorrect here.

At least one holy book - The Bible - doesn't condemn moderate use of alcohol, though it does not approve of drunkenness. For e.g., the first miracle of Jesus was to transform water into wine and his "last supper" had wine.

Yes. I knew that fact.

On Good-Friday, the Red-wine is served in the churches--

--as the Jesus' blood to wash off the Sins of His followers.

But it is served only in small quantity-- Not to the level or degree of INTOXICATION.

Hence I carefully worded as-- "ANY SUCH INTOXICATION."

Even while Brandy, Wine like Alcohols are prescribed medically, Doctors used to advse---

--- for restraint within the verge of Non-Intoxication

It is conventional that when anybody declares himself as NON-ALCOHOLIC --

---it is commonly understood by the Society--- on the sense of NON-INTOXICATION only.

Lambretta
10th July 2010, 12:02 AM
My barber recently died of a bad liver (I guess Alcoholic liver cirrhosis(sp?)), his son (who has been my barber since nearly 10 yrs) often told me his father would go drink EVERY night, after closing shop, irrrespective of anything! And worse still, he'd come home every night dead drunk and verbally, even physically abuse anyone and everyone he'd find at home! :(
He never gave up the habit even after he knew that his liver was going bad!

ilayapuyalvinodh_kumar
10th July 2010, 12:05 AM
:roll: what is his age ??

app_engine
10th July 2010, 12:15 AM
liver cirrhosis is pretty common among alcoholics and a killer :-(

I know of two co-workers who died in 50's with this condition, exclusively due to drinking :-(

app_engine
10th July 2010, 12:18 AM
Basic info on liver cirrhosis (http://digestive.niddk.nih.gov/ddiseases/pubs/cirrhosis_ez/)

app_engine
29th July 2010, 08:19 PM
பங்கு சரியாக்கொடுக்கலயோ என்னமோ, இப்படி ஒரு வித்தியாசமான மிரட்டல் (http://www.inneram.com/201007299607/karunanidhi-hints-at-prohibition-in-tn-again)