PDA

View Full Version : Peyar padum paadu.... share ur experience...

sarna_blr
28th May 2008, 10:17 AM
The following is an excerpt from a blog ....

En per padum paadu!!!

My full name is Kalaivani, but I call myself Kalai. This is not for
scene, ....like how Madhavan does in Anbe Sivam (Anbarasu --> Ars).it
has a looooong and pathetic history...
I started hearing different versions of my name after coming to this
country, and the painful fact is all the possible permutations and
combinations of vowels in my name give meaningful words in tamil!!!
When I first joined the university, my professor wrote to me..
Dear KALAvani (meaning: thief; context: kalavani paya..) .... ... ...
Sari adhuvachum typo nu free ya vittudalam..
Then after a year, I joined a company for internship.those people called
me before I joined, to inform me about some test which I had to take..
Hello is this Ms. Kizhavaani? (meaning: old; context : kizha bolt..etc.)
No..this is KALAIvaani Ohh..am sorry KALAvaani (Marupadiyum...) Then I
decided.periya pera irukkinala thane ivlo confusion?!! So, I started
calling myself Kalai... but the story continued..
I joined my full-time position in another company recently. On my first
day, we had a meeting..
Let's all welcome our new associate.Ms. Kulai (meaning: bunch; context:
kulai kulaiyai vazhaipazham kaaithadhu)
CLAP! CLAP! CLAP! CLAP! Followed by smiles.
(Dei.ennangada... ellarum serndhu comedy panreengala???) Anniku
arambichadhu...
Once my boss and I were talking about a project... after finishing the
meeting...
Ok, Kali. Nice to have you here! (meaning: last yuga; context: kali
muthi
pochu.)
That's KALAI (Enakku idhu thevaya?!)
Ohh kAALi? (meaning: goddess; context: badrakaali..) Hee hee ..very
close (Podaannnggg...!!) So, I stopped correcting my name after that..!
One fine morning, I was working.
Hey kiLai (meaning: branch; context: marakiLai) .howz it going?
Yea good (Sollitu thirumbitten. Nammaluku edhuku indha per thiruthura
business nu...) Is that how you say your name?
(Aaahaa arambichutanya...!!!)
Uhhh. It's KALAI
Kolaai? (meaningump; context: kozhai adi sandai.)
(Venaaammm...)
Kolai? (meaning: murder; context: kolai panniduven..)
(Venaam!)
kaLai? (meaning: weed; context: kaLai pudunguradhu.) (Valikkudhu...
azhudhuduven...) May be I'll get your name with practice. Haha.
Idhellam remba over da dei... Tamil la paatha rende rendu ezhuthu thaan
da!!!)
Ennada, Chandramukhi la thalaivar durga perai nakkaladikkira maathiri...
namma per ayiduche nu nenaikkum podhu... my friend came up with a
brilliant idea!
Adhavadhu... to compare my name with a word.so I started using this word
kaleidoscope; which has the same pronunciation as kalai!
So, I started telling everyone. Kalai as in kaleidoscope!. Ippo kooda
romba ellam ozhunga solradhulla. They are saying kalaai
(kalaaikiradhu)..
Hey Kalaai!!
Yea?
Just trying to say your name. Ha ha ha
Ohhh ..how sweet! (thooo thEri..)
Yedho vaandhi edukkira effect la per irundhalum... my life was in
peace...
until few days back...
My net connection was down, so I called up the customer service (En
kiragam. Madras call center ku pochu!) Enakku andha vishayame theriyala.
So I started in complete American accent...
Your name ma'am?
Kalaai
What? Can you repeat ma'am?
Kalaai as in kaleidoscope
I didn't get that ma'am. Can I have your number? I can check the records
(Sigh!... and gave the
number)
Ohh, Kalaivani, right? (in a sarcastic tone.) (Ada paavi makka... nee
nammooora??!!! All American accents stopped.
Back
to Indian accent.)
I could clearly see what he was thinking... per paatha urs pammingly nu
podra category maathiri irukku... scene podradhu mattum princess Diana
range kaa...
Anna... naan sathyama andha maathiri illeeenganna!!!

idhu maadhiri yEdhEnum anubavangal irundhaa pagirndhu kollungal...

Shakthiprabha.
28th May 2008, 11:30 AM
Ive read this.

LOVELY. I read, re-read and was laughing for long time :lol: :lol2: :rotfl2:

excellent sense of humour!

sarna_blr
28th May 2008, 11:40 AM
idhuvum web'la suttadhu dhaan... :lol2:

Thalafanz
28th May 2008, 11:49 AM
:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

nEnggalum scene pOdurathukku thAnE, Sarna-nu peyara mAthiri vachundEngga... :wink:

mgb
28th May 2008, 11:51 AM
there was a classmate of mine called kaatturaajaa ( 11th n 12th Std ).. he belonged to some deepest part of thirunelveli and he stayed in his uncle's (who had a viragu kadai in vadapalani) house.. engalukkulaam pozhudhu pogalannaa, avana pesa solli kettu rasippom :P

"yei kaatturaajaa, nee indha time mathsla pass ayitayaame ?"
his response "aaru jonaa ?"

and he used to call me "kanesh vaavu" :evil: i tried my level best to correct him for two years.. but i could never even once make him pronounce my name correctly :oops:

Thalafanz
28th May 2008, 11:54 AM
kanesh as Ganesh, I got it.

But, vaavu means??? :roll:

mgb
28th May 2008, 11:57 AM
kanesh as Ganesh, I got it.

But, vaavu means??? :roll:adhukkellaam meaning kedayaadhu :oops: babu'dhaan katturaajaa vaayula appadi varudhu :x

Shakthiprabha.
28th May 2008, 11:57 AM
My friend had written a story (published as a book) on name pronunciation!

Afer reading hers, I had written in some blog or yahoo group , experience I had with MY NAME.

My name is Prabha! Did u see there is a 'H' inbetween 'b' and 'a'. Yeah thats how it should be uttered. PrabHa. Not Praba. Surprisingly 98 out of 100 call me praba as though 'h' is silent or non-existent.

Very few northies or few settled in north use the right pronunciation. Once I had a friend called Sunita in my 8th class, that was when I heard my name being pronounced right, for the first time in life. She clearly used to call me PrabHa. Few others (hardly handfull) joined her, in this 35 years of my existence.

Ofcourse we all have pet names, which our mom/dad used to call. I had LOADS and LOADS of pet names.

Dad used to suffix "kutti" with my name :oops: . Mom used to say "pattukutti" whenever she is happy. Else it was always 'praba'.

When I was in school (sivan may know this :oops: ) I used to be called "london lady" by few teachers due to unique hair styles my mom used try on me.

In my college, I had lots of pet names, few of which cannot be shared here :oops: , other normal ones were, "loosu" , "style-missy", "Nanganallore-Kushboo", "Sushmita" and "sunshine" . Few used to call me "thottathu mangai" for a limited period of time, for personal reasons.

Since I used to orate in english few of close friends and cousins and few bloggers used to call me "mary" ''peteraambaaL".

Aagain, what my husband calls me, cannot be shared here, but NO, even during times when he refered me with my name, it was NEVER PRABHA. He joined / joins the gang of refering my name as "Praba"

In my family circle, few of my cousins jovially would call me "devi-maatha". That reminds me of "Guruji" which 2 to 3 ppl refer in hub these days.

In internet, I had few friends who referred (still refer) me as BOOST (because I suffixed 'shakthi' before my name) Other familiar name is "Power" (which even hubbers like madhu use now) Rest of it is known.

Shakthi, shakthiprabha, shakthi akka, sp, sp akka. Thats me now!

That is would soon turn as paati, ey kizhavi etc... as years go by.

and hey... did anyone call me Prabha? NO! NEVER! EXCEPT sunita and few others. I still have not lost hope, i keep signing as PRABHA with visible 'h' hoping someday sometime someone would call my name right.

I am waiting....

sarna_blr
28th May 2008, 12:00 PM
Few others (hardly handfull) joined her, in this 35 years of my existence.

unga vayasa ellaarukkum sollitteenga... :yessir:

Shakthiprabha.
28th May 2008, 12:02 PM
Elaarum avanga avanga names/pet names exp share pannalame :idea:

mgb
28th May 2008, 12:03 PM
prabha.. that is not 'sunita', that is 'sunitha' 8-)

Shakthiprabha.
28th May 2008, 12:04 PM
there was a classmate of mine called kaatturaajaa ( 11th n 12th Std )..

:roll:

and he used to call me "kanesh vaavu" :evil: i tried my level best to correct him for two years.. but i could never even once make him pronounce my name correctly :oops:

:lol:

sarna_blr
28th May 2008, 12:05 PM
Elaarum avanga avanga names/pet names exp share pannalame :idea:

enakku dhaan oorukku oru pEr irukku.. aana ungala maadhiri interesting'aa ezhudha theriyaadhu.... :oops:

Shakthiprabha.
28th May 2008, 12:05 PM

I saw the spello later. I KNEW someone would point this out. whoelse but ... :roll:

mgb
28th May 2008, 12:07 PM

I saw the spello later. I KNEW someone would point this out. whoelse but ... :roll:idhe mistakedhaan ungala koopdravangalum panraanga :P

Shakthiprabha.
28th May 2008, 12:11 PM

I saw the spello later. I KNEW someone would point this out. whoelse but ... :roll:idhe mistakedhaan ungala koopdravangalum panraanga :P

Excuse me, that was SPELLING error, committed JUST ONCE. My name has been called so many times by x no. of ppl. NOT ONCE ppl refer me right.

Dont act smart :twisted:

mgb
28th May 2008, 12:15 PM

Excuse me, that was SPELLING error, committed JUST ONCE. My name has been called so many times by x no. of ppl. NOT ONCE ppl refer me right.

Dont act smart :twisted:hello.. hubla spelling mistakedhaan paakka mudiyum.. pronounciation eppadi theriyum, so we have to assume you are pronouncing the way you have typed it :x indha once, twice dagachchi velalaam nammakitta venam :evil:
me acting smart :roll: i am smart :P

Shakthiprabha.
28th May 2008, 12:19 PM
hello.. hubla spelling mistakedhaan paakka mudiyum.. pronounciation eppadi theriyum, so we have to assume you are pronouncing the way you have typed it :x indha once, twice dagachchi velalaam nammakitta venam :evil:
me acting smart :roll:

vantha udane SAndai podatheenga :hammer:

konja neram kazhichu podalaam :lol2:

i am smart :P

Excuse me ? I didn't hear u :P

P_R
28th May 2008, 01:34 PM
When I was in school (sivan may know this :oops: ) I used to be called "london lady" by few teachers due to unique hair styles my mom used try on me.
:D

In my college, I had lots of pet names, few of which cannot be shared here :oops: , other normal ones were, "loosu" , "style-missy", "Nanganallore-Kushboo", "Sushmita" and "sunshine" . idhellAm remba over-Ama !

''peteraambaaL". :rotfl:

Oorkkaaranga Prabhu appidinnu kooppiduvaanga-nnu naan edhirpaarkkuradhai vittuttaen. It is only when I was in Bombay I kind of realized that my name had a h in it :-)

Apart from killing the 'h', one other pronunciation of my name is where the 'u' in the end is kind of cut short. Such pronuncers - if that's a word - insert a mild vowel between the P and R. Sounds like perab(u). Very tamil I would say - closer to how it would sound if my name was pronounced as written in Tamil.

A few months back I met a second cousin of mine who had migrated to the US when I was all of three years old. And she said "It has been a long time since we met Pabam". " Eh ?" Apparently that's how I used to lisp my name when she last met me. Unmindful that many years had passed by she kept calling me the same even in the presence of her daughter (my niece) :oops:
So much so that the teddy bear I gifted her daughter when I met them was promptly named Pabam. The family cat didn't give Pabam - both the human and other versions - quite the friendliest looks. I left mercilessly left my namesake to deal with the family feline, which answers to the name - believe me - puLimakku.

My nick in school defies all etymology. The general notion is the roots would tend something unparliamentary in proto-Dravidian. So adhaippaththi vENdAm.

My intials: M.S. stand for both my parents' names. This was a curiosity in my family. So some of my uncles called me msp.This kind of stuck with some of cousins and then my sisters-in-law.So much so that the latest addition to the family had trouble recalling my name one instance :-( :-)

After an Aircel ad - which was famous when I was in college - I briefly responded to the name "Madure". Thankfully it passed soon. So did the cuter atttempts like Prabhsie.

By the time my Chinese friend in Toronto got from Plabu to Phabu to Prabu it was time to say goodbye. The PrAbu is the closest I can get from my colleagues in the West.

Thankfully the seven other names that my uncle had the occasion to write in grain - were never introduced in circulation. It was assortment meant to please some specific Gods who had mercifully blessed the world with my existence as well short tempered grand uncles whose suggestion had to be accepted for general peace and harmony. But sometimes I think I would have preffered the ring of kALamEgam 8-)

Shakthiprabha.
28th May 2008, 01:42 PM
:lol2:

nice prabhu!

Shakthiprabha.
28th May 2008, 01:47 PM
In my college, I had lots of pet names, few of which cannot be shared here :oops: , other normal ones were, "loosu" , "style-missy", "Nanganallore-Kushboo", "Sushmita" and "sunshine" . idhellAm remba over-Ama !

As though I was HAPPY with it ! :evil: That is still taking the LAST number in my fav nick names :evil:

Oorkkaaranga Prabhu appidinnu kooppiduvaanga-nnu naan edhirpaarkkuradhai vittuttaen. It is only when I was in Bombay I kind of realized that my name had a h in it :-)

oooooooooo same pinch! Glad someone knows what I am talking :D

if that's a word - insert a mild vowel between the P and R. Sounds like perab(u). Very tamil I would say - closer to how it would sound if my name was pronounced as written in Tamil.

The family cat didn't give Pabam - both the human and other versions - quite the friendliest looks. I left mercilessly left my namesake to deal with the family feline, which answers to the name - believe me - puLimakku.

:lol: Few ppl can be awarded for creativity :D

So much so that the latest addition to the family had trouble recalling my name one instance :-( :-)

:)

By the time my Chinese friend in Toronto got from Plabu to Phabu to Prabu it was time to say goodbye

Thankfully the seven other names that my uncle had the occasion to write in grain - were never introduced in circulation. It was assortment meant to please some specific Gods who had mercifully blessed the world with my existence as well short tempered grand uncles whose suggestion had to be accepted for general peace and harmony. But sometimes I think I would have preffered the ring of kALamEgam 8-)

Prabhu,

As ever, ur writeup was very enjoyable :lol: :D :thumbsup:

sarna_blr
28th May 2008, 01:48 PM
ennOda pErakooda ovvoru oorla ovvoru maadhiri solraanga....

bangalore'la ennOda kannada friends call me as Sarvannaa... and few call me as sharanam saamy( ayyappan song).....

Cochin'la kooda work panna madams ellaam saranam mOney ( மோனெ = son)

ennOda tamizh school teachers.... saravanan'nu kooppiduvaanga...

ippO hyderabad'la , sharvan.... shraavan... sharavan....
happy days padam paaththuttu sila friends shravs'nu(shravanthi---shrabs) kooppiduraanga... :cry2:

Shakthiprabha.
28th May 2008, 01:51 PM
Cochin'la kooda work panna madams ellaam saranam mOney ( மோனெ = son)

happy days padam paaththuttu sila friends shrabs'nu(shravanthi---shrabs) kooppiduraanga... :cry2

Thats cute!

epdi munusamy , pachasami elaam muns, paks aarangalo....elaam modernisation-aam! saami!!!!!!!!!!

sarna_blr
28th May 2008, 01:52 PM
ippa hub pEra kooda silar maaththi solraanga... sarna'va .... sorna... darna... :cry2:

dev
28th May 2008, 02:17 PM
Perai maathi sonnadhukke ivalo feel panni eludhureenga... en perai paarthu/kaetu evalo thadavai en gender-ave maathi irukaanga!!!...andha kodumaiyay naan ennanu solradhu!!!...:cry:

sarna_blr
28th May 2008, 02:19 PM
Perai maathi sonnadhukke ivalo feel panni eludhureenga... en perai paarthu/kaetu evalo thadavai en gender-ave maathi irukaanga!!!...andha kodumaiyay naan ennanu solradhu!!!...:cry:

unga short name DEV'a deva'anu assume pannikkalaam.... devi'num assume pannikkalaam.... :P

podalangai
28th May 2008, 02:26 PM
My name is Prabha! Did u see there is a 'H' inbetween 'b' and 'a'. Yeah thats how it should be uttered. PrabHa. Not Praba. Surprisingly 98 out of 100 call me praba as though 'h' is silent or non-existent.
If I speak Hindi, "Prabha" comes naturally. When I speak Tamil, I'm afraid I too will say "Praba", and in all likelihood also insert a "kurriyal ikaram" between the Pa and ra. :oops:

sarna_blr
28th May 2008, 02:28 PM
If I speak Hindi, "Prabha" comes naturally. When I speak Tamil, I'm afraid I too will say "Praba", and in all likelihood also insert a "kurriyal ikaram" between the Pa and ra. :oops:

:yes: tamizh people will call as பிரபா... :yessir:

dev
28th May 2008, 02:32 PM

unga short name DEV'a deva'anu assume pannikkalaam.... devi'num assume pannikkalaam.... :P

En full nameum appadi thaan... aan peyarnum assume pannikalaam, pen peyarnum assume pannikalaam... But when I apply for something & my gender is stated clearly in the appli form, Y do ppl still assume???!!!... :hammer:

podalangai
28th May 2008, 02:34 PM

"b" -> "v" is an old feature of Tamil pronunciation, which dates back to Sangam Tamil (where ப was pronounced as /β/ when it occurred between two vowels). Vadamozhi words used in ancient inscriptions also change similarly. For example, "sabha" becomes "avai".

One of my cousins named her son "Shreyas". This caused much confusion when visiting their "ur" in Tirunelveli, where the closest most people managed to come was "Sures" :)

sarna_blr
28th May 2008, 02:34 PM
Deva-akka... unga full name ennanu sollunga... :)

P_R
28th May 2008, 02:40 PM
Thanks SP

podalangai is there a term for the half-hearted u as when Prabhu is colloquially pronounced. It is a kind of e+u. Like the suffix that gets added to Sanskrit names : Aravind ==> Aravind(u).

equanimus
28th May 2008, 02:46 PM
Apart from killing the 'h', one other pronunciation of my name is where the 'u' in the end is kind of cut short. Such pronuncers - if that's a word - insert a mild vowel between the P and R. Sounds like perab(u). Very tamil I would say - closer to how it would sound if my name was pronounced as written in Tamil.
The shortening of 'u' sound at the end of a word is called 'kuRRiyalugaram.' Grammatically, this should be done only if the 'uvannA' of a vallina ezhuththu (!) is at the end of a word. That is, if the words ends with the following letters -- ku, su, tu, thu, pu, Ru.
However, in spoken language, we have a natural inclination to cut short all words that end with a 'uvannA.' E.g.: bigilu, yAru, loLLu, kaNNu. The key point here is NOT that the pronunciation of 'u' in these words should be fuller, but that these are grammatically wrong words, and strictly speaking, a word can end with a uvannA only if it is a vallina ezhuththu. Or, so I think.

podalangai
28th May 2008, 02:51 PM
I left mercilessly left my namesake to deal with the family feline, which answers to the name - believe me - puLimakku.

:rotfl2: A family friend named their dog Madalaimutthu Periyanaayagan. For short, they call it "naay."

Your wish is my command. Henceforth, that is what I shall call you, Kalamegam ayya :P

Thirumaran
28th May 2008, 02:56 PM
Lovely thread :rotfl:

sarna_blr
28th May 2008, 02:59 PM
Lovely thread :rotfl:

appadiyE unga anubavaththayum eduththu vidunga... :D

joe
28th May 2008, 03:02 PM
Very interesting Thread :clap:

P_R
28th May 2008, 03:26 PM
Thanks equanimus !

For short, they call it "naay." :lol:

wrap07
28th May 2008, 03:33 PM
sarna

very nice thread. bit nostalgic also :D .

sarna_blr
28th May 2008, 03:36 PM
sarna

pokkishamaaga nenjil pudhaindha ninaivugal ellaam gnaabagam varudhaa... :)

pls share ur experience also... :D

wrap07
28th May 2008, 03:41 PM
sarna

pokkishamaaga nenjil pudhaindha ninaivugal ellaam gnaabagam varudhaa... :)

pls share ur experience also... :D

:lol: yeah. sure.

Shakthiprabha.
28th May 2008, 03:42 PM

:D athu veraiya :D

Shakthiprabha.
28th May 2008, 03:43 PM

puriyuthu dev :(... cha!

Shakthiprabha.
28th May 2008, 03:46 PM
I left mercilessly left my namesake to deal with the family feline, which answers to the name - believe me - puLimakku.

:rotfl2: A family friend named their dog Madalaimutthu Periyanaayagan. For short, they call it "naay."

:lol2: :rotfl2:

enakku kalki maathiri sila perin haasya ezhuthu nyabagam varathu. :D

also the movie "mmkr"

"en per subramaniya raju" surukkama elaarum "madhan" nnu koopduvaanga :lol2: or something like that

dev
28th May 2008, 04:01 PM

puriyuthu dev :(... cha!

P_R
28th May 2008, 04:09 PM
For some reason I can never forget the crazy name from a hilarious episode from Crazy Mohan's first ever TV serial : "Here is crazy"

Maadhu: poNNu pEr enna ?
P1: dharmasamvardhini bhoomAdEvi divyEtrisEkha tripuvana alankAravalli alamElu thirukkOdhai aaNdAl naachi
Maadhu: kashtam....poNNu pErai kEtta oru good train-E uttundirukkeer
(turning to the girl)
MaadhU: ah...nannA irukku..enna konjam neeLama irukku :lol:

Name Jokes are among Crazy's best...
Here is another

Ramanujam - Maadhu's father for the uninitiated- catches Madhu with his girlfriend in a restaurant

R: dei Maadhu
M: (pats Cheenu who is sitting in the seat behind him) Hello Mr. Maadhu, ungaLai yarO kooppidarar
C: thamizh lEdhu
R: ade cheenu ?
R: EmayyA maadhu cheenu ? abbayee ...naanu maadhu lEdhu...naanu cheenu kaadhu....naanu vENu sEthu....pOthu (m) ?
R: ayyo nee ennadAnnu Maadhu-nnu solli avanai kaattarE....Cheenu ennadAnnu telungu-la pEsarAn
M: saar chinna vayasula thiruvizhaala kuzhandhaiya tholaichittArnu ninaikkirEn. adhaan kuzhappam... ...saar en pEyar maadhu illai.....en peyar swaminatha guru guha nathan....friends ennai kooppidaradhu naathaguha gurunathaswamy-nu
R: ayyo !
M: unga pEr enna ?
R: (in high temper) I am Ramanujam :mad:
M: enna oru aavEsamaana introduction ! Glad to meet you.

That series was among Crazy's best
:rotfl:

Shakthiprabha.
28th May 2008, 04:20 PM
M: saar chinna vayasula thiruvizhaala kuzhandhaiya tholaichittArnu ninaikkirEn. adhaan kuzhappam... ...saar en pEyar maadhu illai.....en peyar swaminatha guru guha nathan....friends ennai kooppidaradhu naathaguha gurunathaswamy-nu
R: (in high temper) I am Ramanujam

sarna_blr
28th May 2008, 04:21 PM
PR annaa... nice one... :clap:

equanimus
28th May 2008, 06:20 PM
http://www.jeyamohan.in/?p=307

பெயர்களைப் பற்றி ஜெயமோகன்.

Shakthiprabha.
28th May 2008, 06:44 PM

:ty:

joe
29th May 2008, 07:13 AM

Enga oorula pakkathu veetu paiyanukku per vachirukkanga மர்லின் மன்றோ .

joe
29th May 2008, 07:19 AM

Thanks! Very interesting :)

bingleguy
29th May 2008, 07:32 AM
Vasantharaman aana en peyarai Vasanthamaaranaai maatri ;-) innum appadiye koopidum SARNA vaazhga :P ;-)

P_R
29th May 2008, 07:33 AM
[tscii:9a72a19d16]
Enga oorula pakkathu veetu paiyanukku per vachirukkanga மர்லின் மன்றோ . :lol:

நண்பர் ஒருவரின் குழந்தைபெயர் ‘நிஷாத்’. காட்டுமிராண்டி! அவரது வீட்டுபெயர் ‘மா நிஷாத’ — கூடாது காட்டுமிராண்டியே! வான்மீகி ராமாயணத்தின் முதல் இரு சொற்களாம். ஒரு சாமியார் போட்டபெயர்கள். கிரௌஞ்சம் நோக்கி அம்பு தொடுக்கும் வேடனைப்பார்த்து ஆதி கவி மனமுடைந்த ஒலி. அது ஒரு மந்திரம்தானே? :rotfl:

பக்கத்து வீட்டில் பாரதிதாசன் பரம்பரைக் கவிஞரான கண்ணிமை அவர்களின் பெண்களுக்கு இனமானம், தன்மானம் என்றுபெயர். இரண்டுக்கும் முரண்பாடு வரும்போது என்ன செய்வார்கள் தெரியவில்லை. :rotfl: :rotfl:

பொதுவாக சதாம் ஹ¤சைன்களுக்கு பத்துவயதுக்குள் இருக்கும். யாஸர் அராபத்துகள் சற்று மூத்தவர்களாக இருப்பார்கள். :lol:[/tscii:9a72a19d16]

joe
29th May 2008, 08:03 AM
PR,
எங்க ஊர் கிறிஸ்தவ மீனவர்கள் வைக்கும் பெயர்களைப் பற்றி ஜெயமோகன் கொஞ்சம் குறிப்பிட்டிருக்கிறார் .

போர்ச்சுகீசு ,டச்சு பெயர்களை வைத்துக்கொண்டு அவர்கள் பண்ணும் அலும்பு கொஞ்ச நஞ்சமல்ல. யாரோ ஒரு மேதாவி அல்லது பாதிரியார் சொல்லுற பேரை வச்சுட வேண்டியது .பின்னர் அதை கூப்பிட தெரியாமல் வேறு ஏதாவது பெயரில் போய் நிற்கும்.

ஒருவருக்கு இட்ட பெயர் 'சேவியர்' ,கூப்பிடுவது 'சைபர்'.

இன்னொரு நண்பர் பெயர் 'ஆலன் ஜூட்' ..இப்போ எல்லோரும் கூப்பிடுவது 'அலஞ்சூடு' .

சிப்ரியான் (Cypriyan) உருமாறி இப்போ 'செவுரியான்'

'கொன்சால்வஸ்' உருமாறி 'கொஞ்சிலா'

என்னோட சித்தி பெயர் 'எட்விஜ்' ,ஆனா பலரும் கூப்பிடுவது 'எட்டி'

ஏதோ ஒரு saint பேரை சேர்த்து வைக்கப்பட்ட 'பார்பரம்மாள்' இப்போ 'பாரதம்மாள்' -ஆ மாறி தேசபக்தியின் அடையாளமாயுள்ளது.

Vivasaayi
29th May 2008, 10:46 AM
Enga oorula pakkathu veetu paiyanukku per vachirukkanga மர்லின் மன்றோ .

payyanna marlon brando thana

ponnuthana marlon mandro :lol:

P_R
29th May 2008, 11:13 AM
I am reminded of GM's Murugesi :lol:

joe
29th May 2008, 11:23 AM
I am reminded of GM's Murugesi :lol:

"வாயில நுழையிற மாதிரி ஒரு பேரு வைங்கண்ணே"

"சரி! வாழைபழம் -ன்னு வையி"

Vivasaayi
29th May 2008, 11:26 AM
ulagathileye idhuvaraikum yaarum vaikadha peru

murugesan nu vaiyu

littlemaster1982
29th May 2008, 01:26 PM

That's a ripper. :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

sarna_blr
30th May 2008, 08:39 AM
Vasantharaman aana en peyarai Vasanthamaaranaai maatri ;-) innum appadiye koopidum SARNA vaazhga :P ;-)

:lol: vasanthamaaranum vaazhga... :D

NM
30th May 2008, 10:15 AM
I have a story...

My dad's name is ViswanAthan in Tamizh but since my grandparents were illiterate, the Malay officer wrote it down as Bisunadan :hammer: in his birth cert. So, he is known as Bisunadan, but among his friends he is known as NAthan. No issues.

But, when I was in school, i was ridiculed because my dad's name had the word Bisu in it which meant Mute in Malay :cry2: . I used to be so annoyed trying to expalin to my schoolmates!!! :x :x

Then, when i was in the varsity, they had hard time pronouncing Ms Bisunadan, and it became Ms Bisandan :oops: (Bisa is poison/venomous in Malay) :evil: .

When my dad registered for telephone connection, his name was somehow mistyped as Bisanandan and then recorrected to Pisunattan :x :oops: :twisted: .....! We used to laugh when we pronounced it in Tamizh as pisunattAn :lol:

The best part of all was when I got my A level school leaving cert....somehow my dad's name had metamorphorsized to ...........Albert Abai :hammer: :rotfl2: :rant: i sent it back for correction and till today am still waiting for the corrected leaving cert :curse:

sarna_blr
30th May 2008, 10:18 AM
I have a story...

My dad's name is ViswanAthan in Tamizh but since my grandparents were illiterate, the Malay officer wrote it down as Bisunadan :hammer: in his birth cert. So, he is known as Bisunadan, but among his friends he is known as NAthan. No issues.

But, when I was in school, i was ridiculed because my dad's name had the word Bisu in it which meant Mute in Malay :cry2: . I used to be so annoyed trying to expalin to my schoolmates!!! :x :x

Then, when i was in the varsity, they had hard time pronouncing Ms Bisunadan, and it became Ms Bisandan :oops: (Bisa is poison/venomous in Malay) :evil: .

When my dad registered for telephone connection, his name was somehow mistyped as Bisanandan and then recorrected to Pisunattan :x :oops: :twisted: .....! We used to laugh when we pronounced it in Tamizh as pisunattAn :lol:

The best part of all was when I got my A level school leaving cert....somehow my dad's name had metamorphorsized to ...........Albert Abai :hammer: :rotfl2: :rant: i sent it back for correction and till today am still waiting for the corrected leaving cert :curse:

NM paatti... :rotfl:

Vivasaayi
30th May 2008, 10:44 AM
I have a story...

ohhhh god...this is hilarious... :lol:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

dev
30th May 2008, 11:12 AM
:lol: @ NM... my hubby's last name is Viswanathan... but inga cable/net account-la Bishwanathan-nu irukkum... :lol2:

Shakthiprabha.
30th May 2008, 11:24 AM
nm,

:rotfl2: :rotfl2: We understand how frustrating the whole name thingy would have been for him (and you ofcolruse :lol2: )

dev,

vishwanathan elaam enna thappu pannaanga ipdi padutharathukku :lol2;

dev
30th May 2008, 11:32 AM
SP, inga niraya Indian names ippadi thaan padatha paadu pattitu irukku... S used to say tht this colleague of his(a chinese lady) used to called a guy named Baskar as Baska-Baskaa...esp over phone...:lol:

Shakthiprabha.
30th May 2008, 11:35 AM

dev
30th May 2008, 11:37 AM
& when he was working in Japan, they used to add 'san' to the names... There was this guy named Srinivasalu... & these Indian guys used to call him as lu-san(loosan) just to pull his legs... :lol:

Shakthiprabha.
30th May 2008, 11:40 AM
:rotfl2: pavam :lol2: :lol:

Roshan
30th May 2008, 11:51 AM
I have a story...

NM,

:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl2: :rotfl2:

Badri
30th May 2008, 11:55 AM
For some reason I can never forget the crazy name from a hilarious episode from Crazy Mohan's first ever TV serial : "Here is crazy"

Maadhu: poNNu pEr enna ?
P1: dharmasamvardhini bhoomAdEvi divyEtrisEkha tripuvana alankAravalli alamElu thirukkOdhai aaNdAl naachi
Maadhu: kashtam....poNNu pErai kEtta oru good train-E uttundirukkeer
(turning to the girl)
MaadhU: ah...nannA irukku..enna konjam neeLama irukku :lol:

Name Jokes are among Crazy's best...
Here is another

Ramanujam - Maadhu's father for the uninitiated- catches Madhu with his girlfriend in a restaurant

R: dei Maadhu
M: (pats Cheenu who is sitting in the seat behind him) Hello Mr. Maadhu, ungaLai yarO kooppidarar
C: thamizh lEdhu
R: ade cheenu ?
R: EmayyA maadhu cheenu ? abbayee ...naanu maadhu lEdhu...naanu cheenu kaadhu....naanu vENu sEthu....pOthu (m) ?
R: ayyo nee ennadAnnu Maadhu-nnu solli avanai kaattarE....Cheenu ennadAnnu telungu-la pEsarAn

That series was among Crazy's best
:rotfl:

Pirabhu alias Kalamegam!!

Romba naal aachu unnoda verbatim dialogues ellam padichu! One of the few that keep the Hub entertained with good writing!

:)

littlemaster1982
30th May 2008, 11:55 AM

How did they arrive at Albert Abai??!!!!! :omg: :lol:

Badri
30th May 2008, 12:37 PM
Ennoda peyaroda kathai romba simple!

Badri - kannukku mothalla "Bad" thaan clear aa theriyum! Kuttramulla nenjam thaan matthavangalidam kuttraithayum kurayum paakumnu ennaye samaadhaanam pannikka vendiyathu thaan! :)

Badri naaladavila maruvi 'battery' aagidum! Happened in school, in college, at the three different companies I have worked in, in all the teams I have worked in!

The funny thing about that is - after having known me for a few months, most people invariably stumble on the "battery".

But what continually amuses me about that is the exhilaration they feel of the discovery...

"Hey battery" appdinu sollitu ennamo Vasco da Gama India-va kandupidicha range-la sandoshamaa, triptiyaa, feeling proud of their own imagination oru look viduvaangaley paakkanum!

Anyway inga in Australia it has had various avatars, including Barry!

Shakthiprabha.
30th May 2008, 12:46 PM
Badri,

P_R
30th May 2008, 03:58 PM
btw Batt'ry, do you know your name is also used in many of the countries of the erstwhile Soviet Republics. Here is a namesake of yours from Georgia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Badri_Patarkatsishvili) !

dev
30th May 2008, 04:10 PM
:lol:@ Badri...

Badri
30th May 2008, 05:04 PM
btw Batt'ry, do you know your name is also used in many of the countries of the erstwhile Soviet Republics. Here is a namesake of yours from Georgia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Badri_Patarkatsishvili) !

What did you do to find this? Searched Wiki for my name? I am touched! :lol:

P_R
30th May 2008, 05:10 PM
No. Sorry to deflate your balloon. I heard about this guy a few years back from a visiting prof who was familiar with the political landscapes of places like Georgia, Estonia etc !
So I technically knew about this Badri earlier. Ouch !

Badri
30th May 2008, 05:20 PM
No. Sorry to deflate your balloon. I heard about this guy a few years back from a visiting prof who was familiar with the political landscapes of places like Georgia, Estonia etc !
So I technically knew about this Badri earlier. Ouch !

Poda...at least you could have pretended!

hmm well, I will pick up the pieces and try to get on with the rest of my life and try and forget how little you care about me! :(

P_R
30th May 2008, 05:58 PM

I recommend the spirit of the Master.

This is from the excellent preface to his novel "Summer Lightning"

A word about the title. It is related of Thackeray that, hitting upon Vanity Fair after retiring to rest one night, he leaped out of bed and ran seven times round the room, shouting at the top of his voice. Oddly enough, I behaved in exactly the same way when I thought of Summer Lightning. I recognized it immediately as the ideal title for a novel. My exuberance has been a little diminished since by the discovery that I am not the only one who thinks highly of it. Already I have been informed that two novels with the same name have been published in England, and my agent in America cables to say that three have recently been placed on the market in the United States. As my story has appeared in serial form under its present label, it is too late to alter it now. I can only express the modest hope that this story will be considered worthy of inclusion in the list of the Hundred Best Books Called Summer Lightning.
P. G. WODEHOUSE :D

podalangai
30th May 2008, 08:11 PM
Anyway inga in Australia it has had various avatars, including Barry!

I've had similar experiences. On the phone, my name is nowadays frequently taken to be "Arwen" - which is actually a girl's name. Ellam intha Tolkien panna akramam. :evil:

Speaking of Australia, my father had a Keralite colleague with the surname "Ipe". He always had a hard time in Australia, because that is also more or less how Australians pronounce "Ape".

Wibha
8th June 2008, 09:09 PM
woww interesting thread :D

my name is in such a mess that i can't pronounce it in the indian way myself :oops: :banghead:

sarna_blr
23rd July 2008, 02:04 PM

my name is in such a mess that i can't pronounce it in the indian way myself :oops: :banghead:

arshu ... wts wrong in pronouncing arshu :roll:

Wibha
23rd July 2008, 10:30 PM

arshu ... wts wrong in pronouncing arshu :roll:

arshu is my nick name.....only my friends call me arshu...my full name pronunciation they totally spoil it :( :sigh2:

Bipolar
24th July 2008, 04:54 PM
Well, you heard about the girl in New Zealand (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/asia-pacific/7522952.stm)? And you guys thought you had difficult names...

Sarna
6th July 2009, 06:20 PM
- reviving -

KV
7th December 2011, 12:18 PM
PR, thanks for linking this thread. Some hilarious posts, especially the first one :rotfl2:
I was reminded of one, Prof. Das, who, thanks to the US, later became Doctor Dash!

KV
7th December 2011, 12:23 PM
oh, btw, I first misread the thread title as 'peeyaar (PR) padum paadu' :oops:

Plum
7th December 2011, 12:45 PM
SP-ai poRuththa varai this thread is now peeyaar paduththum paadu :)