PDA

View Full Version : Tamil Film Heroes - Analysis

Pages : 1 [2]

selvakumar
6th June 2008, 01:22 AM
One more correction in the above analysis & statistics

Aadhi ran for 200 days and not 100 days as mentioned in that website !

AATHI*, DISHYUM, CHITIRAM PESUTHADI, KOVAI BROTHERS, THAMBI, THIRUTU PAYALEY, THIRUPATHI*, THALAINAGARAM, UYIR, IMSAI ARASAN 23AM PULIKESI, UNAKKUM ENAKKUM, THIMIRU, VETTAYADU VILAYADU, EM MAGAN and SILLENDRU ORU KAATHAL*
100 Days

Devar Magan
6th June 2008, 01:46 AM
cinemalover, some of your posts are blashphemous..

NOV
6th June 2008, 06:24 AM
cinemalover, some of your posts are blashphemous..only some?

anyway:

the world is round
chinese is the most spoken language
all tamil girls are pretty
pencils are made of wood
india is worlds largest democracy
my dog is a cat
filter coffee originated in tamilnadu
nepal is one of the states of india
world oil price is skyrocketing
dasavatharam will be released on 13th June
chilly is red
when I smile I look like tom cruise
uppuma makes you fat
komatha enga kulamatha
general chakravarty led india against china
himesh has sung a tamil song
love is beautiful
Shakthi Prabha will be cutting a cake today
newspaper headlines are always on front page
worn out shoes are proof of used shoes

8-)

joe
6th June 2008, 06:45 AM
NOV :lol:

joe
6th June 2008, 06:55 AM
in palani...a film like suriya vamsam and vanathai pola would run more than baasha

That is what happened in my home town nagercoil also ..SuryaVamsam went on to run 200 days.

sarna_blr
6th June 2008, 09:32 AM
in palani...a film like suriya vamsam and vanathai pola would run more than baasha

That is what happened in my home town nagercoil also ..SuryaVamsam went on to run 200 days.

i guess Surya vamsam ran well all over Tamil Nadu ,.. Am I right... :roll:

Vivasaayi
6th June 2008, 09:51 AM
sarna,

i said a film like vanaithaipola and suriya vamsam

they are more effective in crowd pulling!

sarna_blr
6th June 2008, 09:54 AM
sarna,

i said a film like vanaithaipola and suriya vamsam

they are more effective in crowd pulling!

:exactly:

one more example is AUTOGRAPH... :bow:

Sanjeevi
6th June 2008, 10:31 AM
AFAIK Naattamai, Surya Vamsam, Padaiyappa are very very very big hits in TN. I think we can include Vanathai pola also. In addition, Jeyam collected wonderful money, it was surprise to me at that times.

joe
6th June 2008, 10:46 AM

i guess Surya vamsam ran well all over Tamil Nadu ,.. Am I right... :roll:

Right ..but 200 days run in a town like Nagercoil is something spl.

sarna_blr
6th June 2008, 11:26 AM
http://www.cooljilax.com/movie2006/stats2006.html

http://www.cooljilax.com/movie2007/stats2007.html

2006 link tells Aadhi hit.... Paramasivan flop

2007 link tells Kreedam flop...

wt a great statistics :sigh2:

cancer
6th June 2008, 11:42 AM
Cinema Lover and his analysis :rotfl: :rotfl:

VENKIRAJA
6th June 2008, 12:22 PM
Whats the point of this thread?
An interview?
Proving a point?A point which isn't both theoritical or practical?
Making statements which would raise some opposition for sure and provoke fights?
Asserting some supremacy of you or your opinions?

I seriously don't get the purpose.And whats the watchman or driver thing? :X Anyways,enjoy guys.U get archived.

sarna_blr
6th June 2008, 12:33 PM
Whats the point of this thread?

mainly for FUN :lol2:

Proving a point?A point which isn't both theoritical or practical?

Can u proof :?:

Making statements which would raise some opposition for sure and provoke fights?

:notthatway: Healthy discussions'a provoking'u fight'nu sollakkoodaadhu... :twisted:

raaja_rasigan
6th June 2008, 01:47 PM
I think we can include Vanathai pola also

:shock:

First silver jubilee Tamil film of this Millenium :yes:

Vanathai pola released for Pongal 2000 :cool:

raaja_rasigan
6th June 2008, 01:50 PM

:notthatway:

Cinema lover... oru chinna obligation... please open a thread for Tamil Cinema Comedian - Analysis...... seekiram thread 100 pages vandhudum

Vivasaayi
6th June 2008, 01:53 PM

Cinema lover... oru chinna obligation... please open a thread for Tamil Cinema Comedian - Analysis...... seekiram thread 100 pages vandhudum

absoleetly

sarna_blr
6th June 2008, 02:05 PM

absoleetly

yEmpaa ungalukku 2 thread paththalayaa... :twisted: ... innoru thread vEnumaa :lol2:

raaja_rasigan
6th June 2008, 02:17 PM
4 pera sirikka vekkiradhu rombha nalladhu... adhu kastamana visayamum kooda... idhula Gounder anna spesalistu...

narayana.. kosu thollai thanga mudiyala.. enga ponalum pin thodarndhu varudhu.. marundhaduchu kollungada dei

sarna_blr
6th June 2008, 02:19 PM
4 pera sirikka vekkiradhu rombha nalladhu... adhu kastamana visayamum kooda... idhula Gounder anna spesalistu...

narayana.. kosu thollai thanga mudiyala.. enga ponalum pin thodarndhu varudhu.. marundhaduchu kollungada dei

Delikate possison :lol2: :rotfl:

Sanjeevi
6th June 2008, 02:24 PM

I know it was big hit but dont know how big it was because I was not in TN at that time

sarna_blr
6th June 2008, 02:27 PM

I know it was big hit but dont know how big it was because it was not in TN at that time

:shock: :omg: :shock: :omg: :shock: :omg:

joe
6th June 2008, 02:29 PM
Vaanathai pola was a smashing hit ,blockbuster ..period.

Sanjeevi
6th June 2008, 02:32 PM
:shock: :omg: :shock: :omg: :shock: :omg:

:rotfl:

oops... keyboard failuire

sarna_blr
6th June 2008, 02:56 PM
Ok Sanjeevi, bring ur analysis of our heroes... :P

Thirumaran
6th June 2008, 03:14 PM
Please post something useful. Dont use this thread for testing emoticons :lol2:

sarna_blr
6th June 2008, 03:43 PM
Please post something useful. Dont use this thread for testing emoticons :lol2:

:twisted:

rangan_08
6th June 2008, 04:11 PM
Let's say there are 2 categories. First, " Kadhai Nayagan" - one who fits into the story and is normal like any one of us. The other is the HERO material, who is extra-ordingary in every manner. Most of the time, they deviate from the story and concentrat more on the image factor.

But ironically, both these categories have managed to be successful periodically in our films (courtesy, the honourable audience).

So, that's the way it is, I think, friends.

sarna_blr
6th June 2008, 04:17 PM
Let's say there are 2 categories. First, " Kadhai Nayagan" - one who fits into the story and is normal like any one of us. The other is the HERO material, who is extra-ordingary in every manner. Most of the time, they deviate from the story and concentrat more on the image factor.

But ironically, both these categories have managed to be successful periodically in our films (courtesy, the honourable audience).

So, that's the way it is, I think, friends.

But it fitted mainly for MGR, Jaishanker etc those days...
Then Rajini, Rajkiran .... etc

But nowdays each and every actor doing this... :sigh2:

steveaustin
6th June 2008, 09:23 PM
no sachin was not released at those number of theters,
the major theaters at the time,ie 14-04-2005 were shared by chandramukhi and mumbai express.
chandramukhi itself was released only in 176 screens in a safe way, they dont want another debacle like baba.

actually baba collected nearly 40crores in 2002 more than gemini,run,ramana ,the big hits of the year.
but it was far low when compared to padayappa of 1999, rajini's own production in which rajini got more than 50% of the gross.

padayappa grossed more than kuck kuch hota hai, the biggest all india hit of 1998

baba had best opening beating chiru's indra .

Where is AJIT's VILLAIN which is the biggest grosser than gemini, run, ramana. :shock:

The film was the biggest hit in Ajith's career until the release of Varalaru in 2006.

Database-la missing :?:

Movie Cop
6th June 2008, 09:58 PM
Vaanathai pola was a smashing hit ,blockbuster ..period.
:exactly: I was in cuddalore/pondicherry area during Feb 2000 and I know that VP was a smash hit there and everywhere else in TN! But I was unable to "bear" the movie when I watched it on VCD (that's a different issue :P ). VP & Hey Ram got released around the same time... It was a humbling/humiliating experience for Aandavar at the BO, in front of VP! :oops:

Movie Cop
6th June 2008, 10:06 PM
Where is AJIT's VILLAIN which is the biggest grosser than gemini, run, ramana. :shock:

Dude,
I know Villain was a hit movie but I seriously doubt whether it was the biggest grosser compared to Gemini or Run in 2002... :roll: Villain was 2002 Deepavali release - which ran well for may be 2 months towards end of year before Dhool completely took control over the BO in Jan...

AFAIK, in 2002, Run > Gemini > Ramana > Villain... Fellow hubbers with data could chime in...

Vivasaayi
6th June 2008, 10:18 PM
gemini>run moviecop

Movie Cop
6th June 2008, 10:30 PM
gemini>run moviecop
Thanks Vivasaayi, that could be right... :) I was not exactly sure which one was bigger than the other since both were smash hits... The "O Podu" number was a chartbuster in 2002! 8-)

VENKIRAJA
7th June 2008, 01:19 AM
OK cinemalover,some basic questions:

1.Must answer-Some days ago,PR and I were talkin bout this...."Antha Naal",We were on par with hollywood or global cinema some days ago(not sure of the dates),where did we lose the thread?Since TFI was predominantly in the hands of heroes,i ask this.

2.Although we'd had enough Simbu-Dhanush and Vijay-Ajith,even Kamal-Rajni,which two would you say spoilt/promoted tamil cinema?

3.Your verdict-Top 10 characters of tamil cinema.Or take 20 even.

Let ur analysis help you.Let not the answers help mods.

OnMyWay
7th June 2008, 07:52 AM
AFAIK, in 2002, Run > Gemini > Ramana > Villain... Fellow hubbers with data could chime in...

Villain was a huge BO hit atleast from I heard from a few friends from the industry.
Not sure how big a hit the other movies were.But Iam sure there would a few surprises.

ShereneAndrew
7th June 2008, 07:37 PM
http://www.cooljilax.com/movie2006/stats2006.html

AATHI, THIRUPATHI, SILLENDRU ORU KAATHAL, MAZHAI, MAJAA, VALLAVAN

* These films didn't fare well commercially and had an empty theatre run for 100 days to satisfy the hero

:rotfl2: :rotfl: :rotfl2: :rotfl:

steveaustin
7th June 2008, 09:09 PM
Dude,
I know Villain was a hit movie but I seriously doubt whether it was the biggest grosser compared to Gemini or Run in 2002... :roll: Villain was 2002 Deepavali release - which ran well for may be 2 months towards end of year before Dhool completely took control over the BO in Jan...

Villain was not a hit movie and indeed it was blockbuster. No. of days run never count for a movie to become hit / superhit / blockbuster. It is the collections that determine that a movie to become hit / SH /BB.

Villain grossed more than 30 crores in the box office. Other movies you mentioned were grossed around just 15 to 20 crores only.

Dhool, Gemini grossed around 20 crores only.

AJITH the GILLY / JAYASURYA of KOLLYWOOD.

cinemalover
7th June 2008, 10:09 PM
villain was the biggest hit in 2002.
but since it was highly unprofessionalised in kollywood we dont know the real picture or fact and figure.
also the silver jubilee and all kind of things are really scrap.

also to measure a film's success we must see the following

1.the cost of production,
2.the gross BO collections.
3.what it was actually expexted to achieve.
4.its impact in the mind of film goers( i mean a majority , not in the minds of certain fan groups).

for me baasha is the most successful film of rajinikanth,
as 90% of it was shot inside satya studio and as analyst will see the major cost of film would be rajin's fee.

also any rajini film earning less than 100 crores now may be called a failure.

for example it was said padayappa crossed nearly 100+ crores in 1999, whereas kuch kuch hota hi grossed 55 crores.

so thats why rajini has been the real boss,
also until chandramukhi, rajini got a huge sharte in BO collections not less than 30-40%.

so leaving him out of conclusions, certain films gross much higher than competytitors.

since of lack of evidence and report of certain analysts we get info with time tested methods,

some say ramana topped diwali 02 releases some say its ajith's villain.

also some films oipen very well but after fade away quickly.

but low budget films take time to get back returns, so different analysis.
in 1996 a film ullathai alli tha was released, it was declared a flop and all theters stopped showing it, but one theatre crown in chennai continued 5 th week and it become houseful, due to world cup 96 in india most films put off releases, so the only film at the time was this film which recovered well and after fifth week most thetres restarted the movie and the movie ran for nearly 250days and become a block buster hit.

coming to vaanaathai pola, it was originally written and directed by vikaman for rbn chowdry, but due to a problemn vikraman was kicked out and rbs produced the movie with a different director with the same story called kannupada pogthayya, which become a flop,

oscar ravi gave a helping hand to vikraman who rewrote another story and titled it vaanathai pola and directed it simultanoeously though released only 3 or 4 months later which become a superhit.

though vaanathai pola and suryavamsam all become superhits none can come near any of rajini's movie, since his films run in all centres and also has a very big market ,thata is andhra, plus among 50lakh tamils in karnataka.

so a super hit rajini movie collects more money than any superhit movie of any star.

swathy
7th June 2008, 10:23 PM
cinemalover: I read all your posts in this thread.

Interesting. :thumbsup:

cinemalover
7th June 2008, 10:43 PM
regarding questions asked by a memeber,
io will answer them based on my OWN ANALYSIS, so i request all to take them in right sense.

1.tFI was nearly on par with hollywood before 1947, the reason we were part of british empire, the highest power on earth, also indian economy was capitalistic and ideas flowed along with technology freely,

most of the films were based on hindu mythology and culture(because they are allowed by the britishers)which are the essence of 5000year indian culture, so the script,story,ideas were rich and fantastic.

the film industry was entirely controlled by a certain caste which are pan indian, so it appeared the films are intellectual;ly rich.

when india become free it also become poor economically, so filmdom suffered its big blow and power of tfi undermined with bombay film industry becoming, and the fiburcation of southern cinema from madras.

also the stories shfted from cultural intellectual front to social and economic problems, focussing more on current affaiars and common man then the finer points of bygone era.

the dravidian movement released a host of story tellers, dramatists actors who occpied more space than conventional castetist film makers(not castetists but belonging to a certain caste).

powerful protoganists for the modernists appeared in the form of icons like mgr and sivaji who become legends and much more,
\their growth also created a trend were the power centre shifted from filmmaakers to heros, particularly mgr who made many changes to suit his style, which continues till now.

from filmmakers chosing a hero to suit a script, filmaker and script was chosen to suit hero.
by 1970 bollywood gone so ahead in race, so tfi beccome more insular and more regionalistic.
most of the films in 1970 s were low budget flicks or family dramas.

mgr leaving tfi by 1977 left a big vaccum,whereas sivaji chose to do roles that suits his age.
the tfi was full of dozens of kutti heros who blended as per the script of the mopvie, but a experiment conducted by KB created two heros who suddenly rose like giants within a short span of time.
rajini and kamal have began their journey which will last 3 more decades with no end in sight.

it was said kamal slightly had a edge over rajini as he had good look, enjoyed the suppport of women and also a possitive hero, rajini apppealed to b c centres and some serious movie goers,

but in late 70s and early 80s many directors came who were assistants in mgr sivaji era who clearly manipulated the popularity of rajini and kamal to BO success,
kamal was given all the normal do gooder roles of a traditional hero.

when searching for stories for a new hero with negative shade, directors looked north as a hero with similar nature in bombay, amitabh who become angry young indian,his stories were morphed to make rajini a angry tamil youth who must fight against the system failure.
both kamal and rajini were equallly popular and shared top spot 50 50, but kamal's desire for going for alternate cinema cost him dear , wheras rajini continued with his image as time went, but

with satelite TV coming in mid ninties TFI was witnessing a downslide for a decade,only recovering by mid 2005, but agaibn failing in 2008.

30 out of 32 films released in the first quarter of 2008 failed at bo,this shows the reaal state of TFI.

also those people wanting quality movies must realise, that to hyave quality movies we must have a rich BO, which gives a breathing place for filmmakers to attempt quality.
example if 10 films succeed like sivaji in a year,
or 20 billas and pokkiris we will be producing quality movies in dozens.

a famous tamil proverb, kudikkave thanniya kanam idhula kullikarathukku thanni ketta enga poradhu.

2.the rivalry between hewros started in 1930s itself,

MKT vs PUC

MGR vs sivaji
rajini vs kamal

ajith VS vijay

simbhu vs dhanush

the last one is very pathetic compared tpo other four, as these guys dont achieve anything at all in their carreer, also the last rivalry started on a personal; score(naan ularritena, aiyyayoo),other four or purely professional and created byfans.

as far as top 10 characters,
sorry i have 100 s of them from small to big and everything in between, also everyone has personal favourites.

i like all of rajini's character,
some of the kamal hassans,
dont like vijaykant much,like ajith in many, vijay in some.

and i feel like vomiting when looking at simbhu and dhanush films , as i observe many 100 s of films and study the 75 year old TFI.
these guys brought everything for their selfish motives.

i dont like vijaykanth as a hero much,
but he did many good things i appreciate wholeheartedly,
he did many good things as the president of nadigar sangam, and also many othe good things,
similarly i dont love sarathkumar much, but as i study his carrer i am amused he strugglerd very hard to come out well, also i saw his first movie and i was really liked him in that,
although he came close rajini kamal in 1998, he missed the bus to remain at the top.

cinemalover
7th June 2008, 10:46 PM
thanks swati
will continue in the same line

forgive me for type and grammaticaal errors as i type as thoughts flow i my mind.

Vivasaayi
7th June 2008, 11:15 PM
it was highly unprofessionalised in kollywood we dont know the real picture or fact and figure.

it was said padayappa crossed nearly 100+ crores in 1999, whereas kuch kuch hota hi grossed 55 crores.

so thats why rajini has been the real boss

:confused2: munnadi type pannadhu ambi...aduthu type pannadhu remova

ungaluku edhu thevayo adhum mattum unmayana figuresa?

a person who believes padayappa made 100 crores writes a review on tamil films :clap: :lol: adi dhoolu!

:whistle:

Vivasaayi
7th June 2008, 11:19 PM
though vaanathai pola and suryavamsam all become superhits none can come near any of rajini's movie, since his films run in all centres and also has a very big market ,thata is andhra, plus among 50lakh tamils in karnataka.

so a super hit rajini movie collects more money than any superhit movie of any star.

where did vanathai pola and surya vamsam dint run?

how many films of rajni have tasted great success in other states in his career!

kekaravan kenayana irundha kr..sari vidunga :lol:

VENKIRAJA
7th June 2008, 11:35 PM
The top 10 characters question was not just these guys alone,the character af amavaasai in maidhi padai counts,I would say Nagesh's character as Server sundaram is one of mine.I need an answer.Rate em please.

The first question-Partly agreed.The freedom movement?No,I mean till the advent of MGR and sivaji becoming very big on screen.Early 60s.Balachander,Sridhar,APN,Thirulokchander,Beemsi ngh were just excellent.Your notion the writers thing:If it meant the manikodi writers,sorry none of their stories came into movies.It was then:the next set of that of Na.Pa,Jayakanthan,Akhilan,etc. were into movies.Soon then poets followed in the seventies.The puhukavithai became popular and by late 70s the movies had essence of the new poetry in movies:Vairamuthu,Mu.Metha,vaali(to an extent) and all.Movies like Nizhalgal,varumaiyin niram sigappu and all can be examples.But then in 80s even though The Ba varisai directors were making quality stuff here and there,we couldn't get the quality of that of hollywood:the masterpeices.(It was stumbles after 80s,except for MR,Mahendran and kamal,very few miscellany)Thats where my question lies.Where did we lose the thread.Was it after
Andha naal,Parasakthi or Kadhalikka neramillai,Ethirneechal or 16 vayathinile,Mullum malarum or Pesum padam,Mowna ragam....I may have left out somewhere:I'm poor for my memory and analysis:just thought of this now....Maybe convince me will be the right word.

Second question:Thanks for answering.

VENKIRAJA
7th June 2008, 11:37 PM
// a famous tamil proverb, kudikkave thanniya kanam idhula kullikarathukku thanni ketta enga poradhu. //

Naan kelvipatta famous proverb-la kulikka maatanga,vera etho seyya solliyirupaanga.Anga thaan prachanaiye. ;)

sakaLAKALAKAlaa Vallavar
7th June 2008, 11:48 PM
2.the rivalry between hewros started in 1930s itself,

MKT vs PUC

MGR vs sivaji
rajini vs kamal

ajith VS vijay

mmm i dont see any traces of MKK and PUC still left..or i am not seeing?!? MGR's populariy mostly lies about his personal and political image and not for his films. only sivaaji passed the test of time and still his movies are consumed...dont know what will happen in future.. i stongly hope kamal will be remembered many many years....

sakaLAKALAKAlaa Vallavar
7th June 2008, 11:50 PM
also any rajini film earning less than 100 crores now may be called a failure.

for example it was said padayappa crossed nearly 100+ crores in 1999, whereas kuch kuch hota hi grossed 55 crores.
eventho none of the BO figures are made public for any film, i feeel padayappa didnt gross something big like 100C. Not Even Chandramuki but looks like it went too close to that mark and i feel that its the only top grosser till date in terms of budget vs profit..Dont know about sivaaji.

cinemalover
8th June 2008, 12:30 AM
clarifications to dear members.

----------------------------------------

1.all the info and details given by me are by readining magazines,browsing net, personal analysis, observation, talking to cine people.....

2.they are what i beleive to be true and what i found to be true.

3.many points may contradict individual views or generally accepted views.

4.i have reasoned out every detail before i say them, but explanation may be short as a sentence, brief as a paragraph or as long as a essay or even may be like a research paper.

5. my wholetime passion is cinema, i love and live cinema, and i quit my profession for the love of cinema.

6. i cant answer all queries, that doesnt mean i am ignoring anyone, because of limited amount of time and typing skills.

7.this is after all a discussion forum not a scholorly congergation.

8.though i have likes and dislikes , they dont interfere in my opinions or views. if i say dhanush and simbhu bad , because i i believe and what i found to be true and not my personal likes, i watched mamadha rasa song so far 250-300 times because of dhanush and everytime simbhu' song appear on tv, i stop any work immediately,
but as a cinema lover/historian i know they are watrels of TFI.

9.also i want thius topic like a healthy discussion forum getting meaninfful information and entertainment, no need for heated discussions, although unavoidable.

10.my love,loyalty is towards cinema and my views only express them, example i am a hardcore fan of rajini, but see how many times i criticise him
for being unprofessional in his approach or his backing up of dhanush(YNM got more theters than SS, though the later is actuallly successful, becaause these theaters showing YNM need next rajini movie, that means a jackpot-one need not be a scholor for judging this)i love kamal's acting, but they have did, they blocked 15 of chennai's biggest theaters from 13.06.2008 for many weeks for dasavatharam, because of which many films completed but awaiting release will be put on hold and because of that many low budget films will be crushed.

so i see darker side of cine world also,so my views occassionalllymay hurt the common belief and facination for particular stars, for which i am no way responsible.

thanking you all for kindness and suppport.

OnMyWay
8th June 2008, 08:51 AM
Just curious,how did you arrive at 100 C figure for padayappa?
actually when baba released I heard it as much money as padayappa but was a flop because of the economics..
100C?? U really didnt mean it ,did you ?

cinemalover
8th June 2008, 02:10 PM
1.in 1995 rajini kanth's baasha was dubbed in telugu after its phenomenol success in TN, and as a surprise it ran for 100 days in 27 theaters(realeased in more than 100 screens) in AP and garnered more money than any normal telugu superhit movie, from the on all rajini movies are bilinguals made simultaneously in telugu version.

2. so a rajini film collects for each100 rupees here it will sure collect more than 50rupees in AP.
in 2002 baba had better opening than chiru's indra, that shows rajini's extented market value.

a simple calculation

200 screens @500seats ,4 shows a day means 4 lakh people watch the film a day,
what if rs.20 is paid by each means rs.80 lakh collection per day

500seats ,20rs. per head are all minimum figures even in 1999.

3.chandramukhi collected more money than balkrishna and nagarjuna films in 2005, but telugu version of anniyan become a bigger hit than CM.

4.also rajini has a huge percentage in actual movioe goers in tn, my estimate is 75% of cinegoers in TN watch rajini films.

5.though exact BO figures not available in TFI due to IT menace, you can easily guess the BO by the way business is done in kollywood, a film made around 10crores is sold for 15 crores uusally, for a big hero its 18-20 crores, for rajini its minimum 3 times.rajini films are costlier to make because of granduer scale.

6.also with corporates buying films in 2006 and 2007 it was known generally the price for which a film is sold is half of whaat the film's potential BO collection, last year pyramid ssaimira bought vijay's ATM for 23 crores, as it was officially announced, so the films expected gross will be more than 46 crores, which itself a bit informative on pokkiri's gross vijay's previous hit.

7.so calculation goes on like that, also we can get some figure if we know how many thetres the film releases and how long it runs housefully in released thetres.
rajini films release in most number of theteras and everyone knows it runs with full house at least 10 weeks,
arunachalam released in 180 screens and padayappa more than 200, same is for baba,
but chandramukhi got only 175 or so ,but sivaji 400 screens.

so if a screen has 500 seats, with 4 shows a day 2000people watch,that means

a rajini film with 200 screens means 4 lakh people watch everyday

with a minimum 20 rupees per person, the figure comes to 80 lakh rupees a day, and multiply it with number od days the film runs housefully.

i am sure baasha,arunachalam,padayappa,CM run houseful for 10 weeks in all acreens released.
CM ran for 120 days houseful in more than 100screens and everyone know that.

so 100*4*500*20*120==48 crores

that itself comes to many crores.
if we include the other theatres also,the offical figure for CM in TN is nearly 80crores, also rajini film collects minimum 50% in AP of what it collects in TN, sometime 75%,
in padayappa it collected nearly same as TN,
so you know what i mean,
rough estimates show CM collected between 110 to 160 crores, and it actually beat padayappas's six year record f highest grossing film .

also i have given only reasonable base value, the screen showing rajini film has more than 500seats some over 1000seats.
in chennai

sathyam 1264 seats
devi 1132
sribrindha 1600seats
abirami udhyam 1200seats(now made into 2 screens)
albert 1000 seats

so you know that all big screens in TN show a rajini film, so my calculations may go for much higher level.

also oscar ravichandran said that any film which stays in the screens it was released for more than 10 weeks may be called a mega block buster.

actuallly in 2000 a reporter writing in a magazine found out these things, i will give the source when i get that

also the black ticket selling i have not included, but i have seen from CM and sivaji, the screen owners collected 10 week collections in just 2 weeks itself, so you know what i mean

also rajini has a fan base running into lakhs and a huge chunk of them are repeat audience, so they make rajin film attendence many times tha a normal hero.

so my figures combine the coollections of rajini's in TN and AP

see this link

http://www.idlebrain.com/research/anal/anal-power.html

Srimannarayanan
8th June 2008, 08:05 PM
Cinema Lover

I read from lot of magazines that Padayappa collected 32 crores. Even in 2003 there was rumor that Samy had beaten 32 crores collection of Padayappa.

Sivaji productions announced that "Chandra Muki" is the first tamil movie to cross 50 Crs.

I am quite sure that Baba 's opening was less than Chiranjeevi's Indra's opening. And Indra was the biggest hit in 2002 and it collected more than 60crs in 2002.

Neenga sollradhu ellame KRVIJAYA SYNDROME IRUKKU.

cancer
8th June 2008, 09:09 PM
in 1996 a film ullathai alli tha was released, it was declared a flop and all theters stopped showing it, but one theatre crown in chennai continued 5 th week and it become houseful, due to world cup 96 in india most films put off releases, so the only film at the time was this film which recovered well and after fifth week most thetres restarted the movie and the movie ran for nearly 250days and become a block buster hit.

:lol2:

there was strike by FEFSI film employes at that time, and there was no new releases other than Ullathai alli tha and poove unakkaka i guess, there was no story like u said :P unga analysis la niraya ottai kal irukkuthu athai konjam sari paakkavum. :P

joe
8th June 2008, 09:21 PM

Oru paanai sotrukku (so-called analysis) oru soRu patham :huh:

Vivasaayi
8th June 2008, 10:06 PM

joe...innuma indha threadla neenga reply pandreenga?

:oops:

joe
8th June 2008, 10:08 PM

Niruthitten ..irunthaalum mudiyalla :oops:

Vivasaayi
8th June 2008, 10:11 PM

Niruthitten ..irunthaalum mudiyalla :oops:

:lol:

cinemalover
8th June 2008, 10:12 PM
friends i always told that the conclusions i make are based on what my analysis found out to be true or what i beleive to be true.

so differences may occur in one's views.

also my formula for rajini film's gross collections is true based on sound logic.

no.of screens*no.seats.no of shows*average price per ticket.

this also applies to all movies.
this formula applies upto the date the film runs successfullly.

also in interviews they dot give real figures.

for example on 14.06.2007 abirami ramanathan told the hindu paper and another week later in vijay tv that he and gv films bought the chennai city rights for rs. 6 crores(CM collected only 3 crores in that area) and it will take 50 days to recover the money, provided the film runs houseful for 50days.
this formula was given by only him, but they made hufge profit in the first 2 weeks itself, except multiplexes all screens sold tickets for 5 to 10 times the counter fare.
that means all recovered 10 week collections in just 2 weeks and all the amount collected after tweo weeks are just extra profit.

they soild 50 rs. ticket at a minimum proice of 250 rupees.
i know this personally as i wandered all the 18 screens sivaji was shown.

this same technique was used in ATM, which recovered all its cost in just 2 weeks although it was a filure.

ATM was released in 271 screens(bought by pyramid saimira for 23 crores all over tamilnadu)

use the formula of abirami ramanathan,

271*500*4*14days, i am sure that film ran atleast for 2 weeks houseful.

see in nay field of study as you witness things obver a long period of time you will see many things that are not visibvle to normal eyes.(ie for a casual look at things.)

one member told that in 1996 fepsi strike affecting TFI, but the major factor at the time was TN general elections in late april may 1996.

all films supposed to be released in april 14 were released hurriedly lioke arjun's senkottai and aabavannan's karruppu roja, all of them failed, but shankar skillfully postponed the release of kamal's indiaafter april, ie in first /second week of may after the sworning in of the new government, and indian had a free run for nearly 50 days with no competing film at all, the only competing film at the time to indian was a english film SPECIES which ran for 15 weeks in chennai.

Nerd
8th June 2008, 10:13 PM
Cinema Lover

I read from lot of magazines that Padayappa collected 32 crores. Even in 2003 there was rumor that Samy had beaten 32 crores collection of Padayappa.

I read somewhere that Danush's TT surpassed padayappa in terms of collection. which is the bigger hit among the three - everyone knows 8-)

The bottomline is NOBODY will let out the actual figures, no matter what. It simply aint as easy as it may sound..

Cinemalover, please keep them coming, I for one is interested to read :thumbsup:

cinemalover
8th June 2008, 10:22 PM
see in this competetive cinema world, the actor gives the biggest BO collections easily becomes number 1.

if anyone or any film over took padayaappa before 2005 then the hero of the film might have become the number 1 in TFI,

the TV rights of padayaapa itself was sold ten times that of a tv right of any superhit film in diwali 2002 and that film brings the same or somewhat leas advertising revenue to sun tv everytime it was shown just like the day it was premioered.

rajini's film surpassed by another rajini film only.

since because of rajini's enviable growth, from time to time many of his critics bring conflicting statements, but only time will tell what is true.

everyone said rajini's magic was over after the debacle of baba, but what happened thereafter all know, .

cinemalover
8th June 2008, 10:33 PM
you can not stop people claiming some facts, just like we do here.

everyone say vikram is a superstar, but for me he is not.
the reasons i gave when a similar argument was made.

. i say that a superhit movie of the hero conceals the failures of his films in BO.

2.leave sethu and kasi and any vikram film before 2001.

3.his first masala hit was dhill in 2001.
i will give his films thereafter with BO results , you decide the verdict.

1.gemini april 2002 superhit

2.samurai july 2002 failure

3.king sep 2002 failure

4. dhool jan 2003 superhit

5. kadhal sadugudu spril 2003 failure

6.sami may 2003 superhit

7. pithamagan diwali 2003 hit

8. arul pongal 2004 failure

9. anniyan june 2005 superhit

10 majaa diwali 2005 failure

11 bheema pongal 2008 failure

so its possible for him hang around in TFI as top star with one superhit in last 4.5 years,

is that possible for madhavan who gave atleast 3 hits like priya sagi(low budget),thambi,rendu or cameos in rang de basanti, guru with 4 or 5 failures.
but you know and i know that vikram is getting several times more than what madhavan gets.
this is how TFI works.

if vikram himself has this power(h has no solid back up in TFI except for his talents), you imagine the power of vijay and ajith who have more organised fan base and builty up a power centre.

ajithfederer
8th June 2008, 11:03 PM
Ofcourse you are meaning only the Tamil cinema world or to a greater extent the South Indian cinema world :) . Whereasthe criteria differs in any part of the world :notworthy:

see in this competetive cinema world, the actor gives the biggest BO collections easily becomes number 1.

cinemalover
8th June 2008, 11:18 PM
no any cinema world, but in TFI they are immediately givendemi god status,
see my analysis on vikram above, heros are credited for succeesses coming out of team work, but dont take any influence on the failures of their films.

viajy gave continuously failure in 2001 and 2002, once tirumalai become a hit all his half a dozen failures are forgiven,

like wise ajith was without a hit for three years 2003,04,05 and how he is surviving as a top star.
what will happen to madhavan shaam srikanth arya if they do the same, they will be kicked out of TFI even if they dont give one hit a year.

dhanush survived after 5 or 6 failures, simbhu violates all logic and has the power to remove a director.

that editor magan has a PRO director brother who grabs any good family entertainer succeeds at tollywood.

vishal has a dozen producer/director at his hands/

thjese people's other side not known to any of their fans or general cinegoer,
their mistakes are hidden by thier rare success or created success.

only true cinema analyst knows well who's who?

Movie Cop
9th June 2008, 12:41 AM
MGR's populariy mostly lies about his personal and political image and not for his films. only sivaaji passed the test of time and still his movies are consumed...dont know what will happen in future.. i stongly hope kamal will be remembered many many years....
Sakala - I don't quite agree with your view... To say, Sivaji movies passed the test of time is correct... But to say that MGR movies hasn't is ignorance... :huh: Even today, in Chennai city, if you release a MGR movie side by side with any other 50's, 60's movie you could see how many crowds you will have for MGR movies... 8-) MGR's legion of fans is the most loyal/faithful you will ever see in TN...

And lastly, what do you mean "MGR popularity mostly lies about his personal/politcal image and not for his films?" :roll:

He gained unparalleled popularity thro' movies which he cleverly used/extended to build on his political ambitions...

Devar Magan
9th June 2008, 03:25 AM
cinemalover,

can i be of any help to stop your vomiting? :huh:

MADDY
9th June 2008, 06:57 AM
The bottomline is NOBODY will let out the actual figures, no matter what. It simply aint as easy as it may sound..

Cinemalover, please keep them coming, I for one is interested to read :thumbsup:

yes, very interesting analysis from cinemalover :D .....waiting for more from you..........ofcourse, the viewpoints may vary, but still to see facts and figures in TF is always exciting bcos its never discolsed by any producer or hero or director..........

wud like you to analyse the audio market as well.........who is the undisputed king of audio sales in TFM and the market pull of current MDs.......or how much of a factor do u think music is today in terms of getting people to theaters

Thirumaran
9th June 2008, 09:41 AM

NDTV News reader maathiriyae sollraaru :lol2:

It is very common knowledge that under the current circumstances no film will run for housefull for 100 days even in a single theater no matter how big the technical or the acting crew is.

sakaLAKALAKAlaa Vallavar
9th June 2008, 09:45 AM
He gained unparalleled popularity thro' movies which he cleverly used/extended to build on his political ambitions...moviecop, i meant to say that sivaaji movie amazes even today's youth becos there is an unimitable stuff called '
"sivaaji's acting" but MGr movies will find audience mostly from his loyal fan base, as you urself said. that doesnt mean me or you cannot tolerate an mgr film but he mainly did masala movies, but sivaaji truely added time proof content. When u do a light hearted stuff and u rock that time, that dont mean the movie will be lappedup by generations. thatswhy i said kamal movies will highly pass many generations becos of the rich content..

(eventho i say mgr movies are just masala, the content of masala and entertaining is much more quality that what u call as today's entertainer. but thats out of discussion now)

crajkumar_be
9th June 2008, 12:49 PM

Oru paanai sotrukku (so-called anal-ysis) oru soRu patham :huh:

NDTV News reader maathiriyae sollraaru :lol2:

:exactly: :lol: :rotfl:

This thread can aptly be renamed by the mods as "King Of Kaamedy - India's answer to Rupert Pupkin" thread or something...

Hub la sila peru anyayathukku veguliya irukkaainga :oops:

hattori_hanzo
9th June 2008, 12:54 PM
cinemalover, some of your posts are blashphemous..only some?

anyway:

the world is round
chinese is the most spoken language
all tamil girls are pretty
pencils are made of wood
india is worlds largest democracy
my dog is a cat
filter coffee originated in tamilnadu
nepal is one of the states of india
world oil price is skyrocketing
dasavatharam will be released on 13th June
chilly is red
when I smile I look like tom cruise
uppuma makes you fat
komatha enga kulamatha
general chakravarty led india against china
himesh has sung a tamil song
love is beautiful
Shakthi Prabha will be cutting a cake today
newspaper headlines are always on front page
worn out shoes are proof of used shoes

8-)

NOV :2thumbsup: :rotfl:

Srimannarayanan
9th June 2008, 01:29 PM
Cinema Lover

I read somewhere that Danush's TT surpassed padayappa in terms of collection. which is the bigger hit among the three - everyone knows 8-)

That is why i said "rumour". I know padayappa was a biggest grosser till Chandra Mukhi.

But 100 Crores collection wasnt correct. I read many magazines that it collected 32 crores . And i am sure Chandra Mukhi is the first tamil movie which grossed more than 50 Crs.

cinemalover
9th June 2008, 02:07 PM
see i have given a foolproof formula for judging the gross of any tamil film, till they have 100% occupancy in screens which are released.

also real facts and fighures not known due to IT problems.

rajini films sure have 100% occupancy atleast 5 weeks, for me its 10 weeks , and with the new trend of releasing in more screens to have a opening large enough to collect most of the investments by people concerned.

as for as chandramukhi, you just typpe chandramukhi 100 days in any search engine and yoy will see dozens of links supporting my views.

audio markets
--------------------
in 80s and early 90s the audio market was booming as the only way to listen songs apart from radio is through cassettes.

ilayaraja's films mostly had huge audio revenue, because of it he started his own recording company and incurred wrath of major producers like AVM and k.balaji and others.as they had their own recording or long time associates in cassete distribution.

but IR was still popular and it was said there were ta least 50 films in waiting list for him in late 80s.

also in audio market also there is A B C classifications.

the A centre bought original cassettes, but B centre bought pirated or compiled ones(2 films recorded in a 90 minute cassetetes)

audio recording companies flourished and made huge money, but with IR losing more biggies like KB manirathanam bharathiraja, his domination went down,which ARR clearly took out.

after roja, ARR has become a hot favourite among A centre audience and after gentleman and kizhakku seemaiyile his reach covered all of the cassette market.

his recording sold more times than IR's at peak, as in 1990s having a tape recorder has become a common place.

at those time rajini's film music sold maximum and also made a huge profirt and rajini himself started a recording house called STAR music.

but ARR music beat rajini films every now and then with a great album,

indian,mudhalvan etc. sold on par with rajini film.

even minasara kanavu, en swsa katre sold at a record numbers and money.

also it was said kandukonden kandukonden has the record of most number of copies sold in audio market,
but the problem is rajini film's huge sale is not due to love of music, but by his huge fan base who but his music for just the nsake of buying it.

but coming of internet age, i beleive the audio market, ie the contribution to total revenue is very minimal or negligent,
the figures relating to audio sales are just a marketing tool to boost the film's image or just to make fans curious enough to see the pictuarisation of songs.

may be for high budget films like sivaji,dasavatharam the audio sale mean much as even a couple of crores is useful because of the huge budget.
but most of the other films have lost audio revenue due to internet piracy, particularly the A centre audience who mostly download movie songs.

Vivasaayi
9th June 2008, 02:10 PM
narayanaaaaaa...indha kosu tholla

cinemalover
9th June 2008, 03:47 PM
i was first writing about tamil heroines.
then a person came and asked about ajith and vijay and it led to a long discussion ,
as the discussions went long, the mods split the topic and opened a new topic.

as usual i was writing my views only,
when people find it against what they know belive and accept as true, they are unable to digest and make un wanted messages.

if people dont like what i write, they need not reply or simply ignoire what i write, i never expect anyone to accept what i write as gospel truth.

after all i am fully into cinema writing and i dont know not all are like that, so views differ very much.
also for me i m writing about TFI, like hidden part of a iceberg, others see the visible part, i see the whole part.

i see actors and actresses TFI from a microscopic view which is not common,prevelant and needed.
so problems arise.

VENKIRAJA
9th June 2008, 04:00 PM
Paavam makkale namma aalu....remba kindal pannatheenga.Hub-ku vantha puthusilaye ithanai naiyaandiyayum thaandi post panreenganna,neenga Veerar thaan.

Ivaru evvalavo thevalai-nga.Smith,smith-nu oruthar irunthaar.Nallavaru,vallavaru,naalum therinjavaru.Antha kodumaikku ivaru solrathula paathiyaavathu sariya irukkollayo?

sarna_blr
9th June 2008, 04:12 PM
Paavam makkale namma aalu....remba kindal pannatheenga.Hub-ku vantha puthusilaye ithanai naiyaandiyayum thaandi post panreenganna,neenga Veerar thaan.

Ivaru evvalavo thevalai-nga.Smith,smith-nu oruthar irunthaar.Nallavaru,vallavaru,naalum therinjavaru.Antha kodumaikku ivaru solrathula paathiyaavathu sariya irukkollayo?

venky... i can understand the hidden meanings of ur pOst... :lol2:

VENKIRAJA
9th June 2008, 04:26 PM

I definitely knew you would post next.Bye for now....

sarna_blr
9th June 2008, 04:32 PM

enna venky... exam mudinjiduchchaa... .. :?

MADDY
9th June 2008, 04:58 PM
audio markets
--------------------
in 80s and early 90s the audio market was booming as the only way to listen songs apart from radio is through cassettes.

ilayaraja's films mostly had huge audio revenue, because of it he started his own recording company and incurred wrath of major producers like AVM and k.balaji and others.as they had their own recording or long time associates in cassete distribution.

but IR was still popular and it was said there were ta least 50 films in waiting list for him in late 80s.

also in audio market also there is A B C classifications.

the A centre bought original cassettes, but B centre bought pirated or compiled ones(2 films recorded in a 90 minute cassetetes)

audio recording companies flourished and made huge money, but with IR losing more biggies like KB manirathanam bharathiraja, his domination went down,which ARR clearly took out.

after roja, ARR has become a hot favourite among A centre audience and after gentleman and kizhakku seemaiyile his reach covered all of the cassette market.

his recording sold more times than IR's at peak, as in 1990s having a tape recorder has become a common place.

at those time rajini's film music sold maximum and also made a huge profirt and rajini himself started a recording house called STAR music.

but ARR music beat rajini films every now and then with a great album,

indian,mudhalvan etc. sold on par with rajini film.

even minasara kanavu, en swsa katre sold at a record numbers and money.

also it was said kandukonden kandukonden has the record of most number of copies sold in audio market,
but the problem is rajini film's huge sale is not due to love of music, but by his huge fan base who but his music for just the nsake of buying it.

but coming of internet age, i beleive the audio market, ie the contribution to total revenue is very minimal or negligent,
the figures relating to audio sales are just a marketing tool to boost the film's image or just to make fans curious enough to see the pictuarisation of songs.

may be for high budget films like sivaji,dasavatharam the audio sale mean much as even a couple of crores is useful because of the huge budget.
but most of the other films have lost audio revenue due to internet piracy, particularly the A centre audience who mostly download movie songs.

thanks for ur analysis on my request :D ..........

raaja_rasigan
9th June 2008, 07:33 PM

:lol: