Fridge
24th June 2008, 04:38 AM
Would like to discuss

Cognitive psychology
research methodology
weber, marx,...

Shekhar
24th June 2008, 09:44 AM
My God !! Are you going to be a shrink??!! :roll: :wink: Just observe the hubbers. You will get a Phd!! :lol: :lol:

Roshan
24th June 2008, 11:24 AM
My God !! Are you going to be a shrink??!! :roll: :wink: Just observe the hubbers. You will get a Phd!! :lol: :lol:

:lol: Very true !

Punnaimaran
24th June 2008, 12:33 PM

Ha Ha Ha !! Well said !!!

Fridge
30th June 2008, 04:58 AM
No I am not becoming a shrink, Now that I am home with the kids, Just completing a normal Bachelor I started years ago. I do love studying psychology though.

Come on, The hub is full of vibrant real interesting people, something you dont see in the movies. It is nice to get into other peoples worlds sometimes.

NM
30th June 2008, 08:11 AM
Hi Fridge,

i don't know if will find this website useful

www.cogstate.com

for the methodology
my colleagues consist of neurologist, neuropsychologists and behavioural pshychologists and we have undergrads doing projects with us :).

I think there is a link where you could go to and request for soem papers/abstracts too..

Fridge
5th July 2008, 02:54 AM
Thank you for the info NM

Bipolar
11th July 2008, 02:19 AM
I am not studying cognitive psychology, but I do have an interest in the subject, I might be able to help you, depends what you want to discuss... By the way, which Marx were you referring to?

Querida
21st July 2008, 08:39 PM
I am not studying cognitive psychology, but I do have an interest in the subject, I might be able to help you, depends what you want to discuss... By the way, which Marx were you referring to?

If it's sociology then for sure it's Karl Marx (i doubt it's groucho,chico,harpo, gummo or zeppo marx! :wink: ) and Max Weber,Engels...all household names for an introductory course in Sociology...

I took some courses in psychology when I was an undergrad...(social,child,coginitive and abnormal psychology)I recommend you get your hands on some introductory uni textbooks (do not have to be bought at the uni! ($$$) try a big warehouse that sells books or even online purchase from used books...or psych students forum...and here! :D :P

what particularly would you like to discuss in these fields? Certain cases studies? particular concepts? experiments? the philos..works or lives of well known sociologists/psychologists?

Bipolar
22nd July 2008, 04:23 AM
(i doubt it's groucho,chico,harpo, gummo or zeppo marx! )

Lol, okay, cool...

We're still waiting to hear from Fridge aren't we? I mean, she was the one who started this thread... but if she doesn't make a (re)appearance soon, then maybe we can discuss other points...

Querida
22nd July 2008, 09:29 PM
sure good idea...i always wanted to know what a lobotomy is used for in medical practice...I mean what would constitute its use if it renders you a vegetable...a tumour perhaps?

Bipolar
23rd July 2008, 01:46 PM
I don't think lobotomies are still used for anything these days... tumours would be treated by resection, which is removal of the cancerous tissue, and chemotherapy, etc.

A lobotomy is basically cutting the connections to and from the prefrontal cortex of the brain... it was done in the past as a form of psychosurgery to treat mental disorders rather than tumours, and now, with the development of various pharmacological and other treatments for mental disorders, lobotomies are no longer practiced.

Querida
23rd July 2008, 09:25 PM
I don't think lobotomies are still used for anything these days... tumours would be treated by resection, which is removal of the cancerous tissue, and chemotherapy, etc.

A lobotomy is basically cutting the connections to and from the prefrontal cortex of the brain... it was done in the past as a form of psychosurgery to treat mental disorders rather than tumours, and now, with the development of various pharmacological and other treatments for mental disorders, lobotomies are no longer practiced.

thanx for the prompt response, i'll admit i was wondering about them more so because of the "fame" factor they have...

btw if you dont mind me asking...what are you studying? Another area of psychology or medicine? Or a totally different subject area?

P_R
23rd July 2008, 09:37 PM
Perhaps you guys may know... what is the name of the guy (after whom the phenomenon is named) - who got a metal shaft through his head that completely changed his personality.

Querida
24th July 2008, 05:43 AM
You mean Phineas Gage?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phineas_Gage

Bipolar
24th July 2008, 11:04 PM
I have an interest in cognitive neuroscience, especially autism (http://www.pubmedcentral.nih.gov/picrender.fcgi?artid=1739089&blobtype=pdf). To be honest with you though, I don't really know a lot about the subject right now, but I am hoping to learn soon. I have a curiosity about it.

Bipolar
24th July 2008, 11:04 PM
And I agree with you, it was Gage.

Querida
25th July 2008, 12:07 AM
Autism is sadly one of those areas that has so many maybes still...I feel fustrated when i see autism being one of those buzz words such as ADD/hyper...as if any child that does not emote openly is automatically autistic...

there are vast variances of limitations/abilities of those under the autism umbrella. I am hoping to become a teacher and from my volunteer experiences I have also seen the tremendous improvement in social skills of those who have been able to participate in special education classes or coaching from a very young age.

I'm delighted when i see that autism does not become a label that prevents the kids from participating in school activities/education or just social exclusion. I really encourage parents to not just focus on the academic part of their child's education...most of these kids are just brimming with talent when it comes to the arts...

Bipolar
31st July 2008, 12:51 AM
Here's a link (http://www.cog.jhu.edu/courses/203/lectureNotes.htm) to a set of notes on cognitive neuroscience, from Johns Hopkins University. The notes provide a useful introduction to the subject.

Here's a link (http://www.almaden.ibm.com/institute/2006/agenda.shtml) to some lectures and presentations from a conference on cognitive computing, held at IBM's Almaden Research Center in 2006.

app_engine
31st July 2008, 01:25 AM
Hey, questions to the knowledgeable ones:

1. Do people suffering from "obsessive-compulsive" disorder automatically suffer "paranoid" situations as well?

2. Are the above disorders linked to chemical imbalances or situational stress? (In other words, what are the typical root cause for these symptoms?)

Bipolar
31st July 2008, 04:15 AM
1. No. OCD and paranoia are different disorders. It is possible for a person to have both, but people with OCD don't always suffer from paranoia.

2. Both. However, I think paranoia is more likely to be caused by chemical imbalances.

The word "paranoid" when used by psychiatrists has a slightly different meaning from its meaning in everyday use. If a person is generally suspicious of other people, lay people may call that paranoia, but in psychiatry, paranoia is when a person has false, often bizarre, but unshakeable, beliefs, which are not a part of his or her culture.

For example, if a thief thinks that the police are trying to catch him (even if they are not) that is not paranoia - he has a good reason to think that the police are trying to catch him. However, if a person suddenly starts to think (with no good reason) that his neighbours or colleagues are trying to harm him, that is paranoia. Paranoid ideas can be quite bizarre - sometimes people can think that their thoughts are being controlled or that someone is listening to their thoughts through secret receivers, etc. These kinds of beliefs usually indicate some kind of psychosis, which is a kind of mental disorder where there a loss of contact with reality, whereas OCD is a neurosis, where the patient's ability to think rationally is not affected.

I think neurosis-type disorders tend to respond better to psychotherapy/cognitive behaviour therapy, etc., whereas for psychosis-type disorders, the first-line treatment is with medication.

Still, I'm not an expert. You really should check with an expert.

app_engine
31st July 2008, 06:52 PM
Thank you Bipolar, for the insight!

Fridge
7th August 2008, 03:55 AM
[tscii:c006a4e39b]Hello Bipolar

thank you for responding, I know this undergrad stuff maybe boring for some of you guys, but I find reading the way other people put ideas into words and helps me and discussing it can motivate me to work on it.
Okay so much for the begging here is a typical assignment question on the Communist manefesto.

“The history of all hitherto existing society is the history of class struggles”
(2) explain how class struggle arises out of the mode of
production, both in general and in the case of capitalist society,
(3) indicate how, according to Marx and Engels, the class
struggle will develop in capitalist society

[/tscii:c006a4e39b]

Bipolar
8th August 2008, 05:06 AM
I'M SO SORRY...

but I can't help you right now, Fridge...

As it happens, I've got my own final exams coming up in about a month's time... am going to be incredibly busy till I finish...

Maybe then (middle of September), if you're still interested, I can discuss the stuff with you, if you would still find it useful...

EVEN THEN, my interest is in cognitive neuroscience/psychology, rather than sociology... BUT, I'd still be glad to spend time reading up on sociology stuff to discuss with you, if you wish...

Just by the way, an Adobe Acrobat copy of Encyclopedia of Sociology (MacMillan Reference Books, 2000) by Borgatta and Montgomery is available here (http://www.megaupload.com/?d=kmxrq280), if you're interested (click on the link, then follow the instructions on the page).

Fridge
11th August 2008, 01:04 AM
No Problem Bipolar

Thank you for the links.
Will post some questions related to Cognitive psychology.
Enjoy the studying