PDA

View Full Version : ARR's interview

xml
26th June 2008, 02:12 AM
Hi all TFM fans
please read the link below

http://www.hinduonnet.com/thehindu/fr/2007/03/09/stories/2007030900380100.htm

and I was laughing with the info from ARR!
"I like listening to Kishore Amonkar, Hasu Patel and others. And the melodies of the 1960s fascinate me. At the same time the youngster in me digs rock and jazz," he laughs. M.S.Viswanathan is an all time favourite of Rahman. "A real master," he commends.

Is he an alien lived in TN till 70's after that disappeared(to hell or anywhere) and returned in 1994 for roja.
Or
was he born in 1994 with amnesia, could know only 70's and straight away started his career with roja in 1994?
Or
Is he an amnesia patient who completely forgot what was going in 80's and 90's and his keyboard palyer job with IR.

Wov!!He is a strange alien.

Why he didn't go to MSV in 1994 for roja to know more about music from him or why he didn't try to to extract great music from him in his albums rather than copiying from IR,YSR,HOLLYWOOD ARTIST(Whom he don't even know).
Still I don't understand why he didn't help to his guru when he was working as an assistant to MAESTRO IR (as he don't know till now)
Why he didn't object his guru MSV for working with IR.
But instead he followed his guru MSV footstep, worked as a keyboard player with IR to get a life.

Or he could have been worked with Kishore Amonkar, Hasu Patel and others whom he feels as great!!!!

Please do not come up with ARR's hit albums and his achievements of awards and global recognition etc...
I am aware of thaat. I won't refuse that.
But I am confused with his statement in that interview.If he is really shame full he shouldn't have worked with IR in his career.

I need a clarification from ARR or his fans please!!

Thanks
xml

dinesh2002
26th June 2008, 04:42 AM
There is nothing wrong with ARR preferring MSV over IR, its his wish and if he learned more things from MSV, so what?

Lemme ask u this......Were u in Amnesia during the 1990s??? Bet u enjoyed ARR's songs back then and now ur prefering some young dudes or suporting IR.....

Something like that u can say.... his preference...

if u dun like it.....

hey, actually no 1 bothers if u do like ARR or not.... so, off u go doing ur duties buddy.... there is allot better things to do than criticizing ARR yea... i hope there is.... lol... :lol2:

NOV
26th June 2008, 06:18 AM
MSV is also my all-time favourite music director, and I grew up with Ilayaraja's music. So what?

Why do you insist that everyone MUST like IR? :huh:

If you don't know this yet, there are indeed many people who do not like IR brand of music. Too bad for you, I say.

But you have to live with it. :D

NOV
26th June 2008, 06:20 AM
rather than copiying from IR,YSR,HOLLYWOOD ARTIST(Whom he don't even know).:rotfl:

Now, I get it! You are really upset that ARR NEVER got inspired by IR. :poke:

Thalafanz
26th June 2008, 06:24 AM
Hi all TFM fans

And I'm :rotfl: with ur info...

Wibha
26th June 2008, 06:32 AM
:rotfl: :rotfl:

thamizhvaanan
26th June 2008, 08:25 AM
rather than copiying from IR,YSR,HOLLYWOOD ARTIST(Whom he don't even know).:rotfl:

Now, I get it! You are really upset that ARR NEVER got inspired by IR. :poke:

:rotfl: I am suprised that this thread is not yet locked.. perhaps some food for humour :lol2:

xml, please continue with your observations :lol2:

xml
26th June 2008, 08:26 AM
Hi all
thanks for the reply.
I am not against ARR's albums.I agree that ARR was making hits from roja till now.
But I am confused with statement.If MSV is his all time favourite why he didn't learn music from him by working with him.
What did he do in 70's to 90's when he was alive.
Where from he got the knowledge to compose these many albums.

He could have been proved his talent without going to IR. Am I Right

Though MSV was alive he went to some unknown MD like IR(according to him)and worked as a keyboard player.
His current career is just because of his presence with IR team where maniratnam was found him.
Or he could have been proved it without working with IR when MSV, Kishore were alive till now.

I agree with his talent, achievement but disagree with his statement.

NOV
26th June 2008, 08:35 AM
His current career is just because of his presence with IR team where maniratnam was found him.:rotfl: :rotfl2: :rotfl:

continue the entertainment. :D

I doubt you know anything much about IR, leave alone ARR :lol2:

thamizhvaanan
26th June 2008, 08:41 AM
:roll: Sincere'a kelvi ketkradhala sincere'a badhil solla try panren.

If MSV is his all time favourite why he didn't learn music from him by working with him.Its not necessary that all MDs should learn music by working with another MD. They work in different orchestra and get experienced with various orchestration techniques.. thats it. MD's are mostly ekalayvan's who grow up and get inspired by listening to other great ppl more often than staying with them and learning.

What did he do in 70's to 90's when he was alive.
Obvious. ARR was schooling and during the later half he was in some bands and arranging music for commercials.

Where from he got the knowledge to compose these many albums.Indha ragasiyam therinja ellarum ARR aayida mataangala :P

He could have been proved his talent without going to IR. Am I Right Thats the case actually. Only after he became popular, people started quipping that he once used to work under IR.

Though MSV was alive he went to some unknown MD like IR(according to him)and worked as a keyboard player.
His current career is just because of his presence with IR team where maniratnam was found him.
Absolutely wrong! MR came to know about ARR through his relative and he was eager to meet him after watching Leo Coffee ad. By that time, ARR was kinda buzz name within the industry as the whiz kid with some neat gizmos.
To clear your hallucinations, ARR worked under IR for a very short duration. I guess even during that period he played rarely since IR had his own keyboard player. And he worked under him out of poverty and I read somewhere that IR just hired him becoz his dad was a reputed musician.
Nothing like guru shishyan image that you are having, ARR rarely interacted with IR I beleive.

thamizhvaanan
26th June 2008, 08:54 AM
an extract from bharadwaj rangan's interview:

Greater things were in store. “When I was playing with Ilayaraja, I met this amazing keyboard player, Viji Manuel.” Manuel composed jingles, and he asked Rahman to assist him and programme for him. Then a filmmaker from Kerala, Isaac Thomas, gave Rahman a jingle to compose. “That was the first one, I think, for a colour lab.” It takes a little imagining, that the go-to guy for the soundtrack of every single prestige production today was once toiling away at background scores that could be zapped away with an unceremonious flick of the remote control – but as they say, the journey of a thousand miles often begins with a single 30-second ad.

That ad was for Allwyn Trendy watches. Rajiv Menon, who made the commercial, recalls that he first heard of Rahman – then known as Dilip, before his conversion to Islam – during an earlier assignment for Harvest rice bran oil. “We wanted to show a plate splitting, and we wanted a particular kind of sound – a breaking and splitting apart sound.” Someone told him about this whiz kid with sound effects technology. The rest was the beginning of history. The plate broke and split apart as no plate had broken and split apart in advertising.

Less destructive – but no less influential in furthering the early-Rahman legend – was the commercial for Leo Coffee, made by Sharada and Trilok of Trish Productions. They started out in 1987 and were asked to do a public service film for drug abuse in their very first year of operation.

“Someone suggested a young, new musician called Dilip,” says Sharada. “We fixed up the recording, and in came this tiny guy accompanied by loads of equipment, who talked nonstop and knew more tech specs on sound than the recordist.” Rahman delivered a track that was outstanding and the film won them many awards. “After that, we worked together on over a hundred ads.”

“Mani Ratnam is my cousin and would often ask me who did a particular track for an ad. Trilok and I would keep telling him to check out Dilip sometime.” Once, after a recording, they were heading out to see the first copy of [Mani Ratnam’s] Thalapathi, and Dilip asked if he could come too. He met Mani that evening. Mani called Sharada the next day to ask if he could listen to Dilip’s work, and Trilok took him across to the studio. “Mani called Dilip a day later,” – Rahman remembers it as “two weeks later” – “and offered him Roja.” There it is. The story behind the creation of a new musical universe – in one small paragraph.

http://www.desipundit.com/baradwajrangan/2008/06/07/ar-rahman-the-rolling-stone-interview/

NOV
26th June 2008, 08:59 AM
thamizh, you forgot to mention that IR himself worked under GK Venketesh, while GKV worked under MSV!!!! Its all a big circle.

thamizhvaanan
26th June 2008, 09:03 AM
thamizh, you forgot to mention that IR himself worked under GK Venketesh, while GKV worked under MSV!!!! Its all a big circle.Yup, and that IR himself is an avid admirer of MSV :cool:

united07
26th June 2008, 10:25 AM
ARR even worked with Zakir Hussain...and he didn't mention his name too....

so what's the issue?

Scale
26th June 2008, 11:04 AM
His current career is just because of his presence with IR team where maniratnam was found him.:rotfl: :rotfl2: :rotfl:

continue the entertainment. :D

I doubt you know anything much about IR, leave alone ARR :lol2:

Do you know? While in an unresolved squabble, dear :rajaroll: was referring this "xml" as rajamemoirs.galaxy truly missing for a specific link. (FH "Search" doesnt help) . And everytime "xml" enters its nothing but a crap of tiff.

Lock Please!

MrJudge
26th June 2008, 12:00 PM
I think it is true that annachchi follows MSV style of composing, always more on melody and less orchestration. And he should be his fan definitely. But for people who listens to IR's music, it is difficult to settle with that kind of orchestration, IR's music is complicated. So XML, I don't think anything funny in his interview.

kham
26th June 2008, 02:03 PM
ARR dont follow ThabelaPetti's style... ya v know its complicating judge...

selvakumar
26th June 2008, 02:04 PM
xml,
There is no need for a music director like IlayaRaja to get the certificate from Rahman. Do you still need a certificate from a guy whom in your POV is - a copy cat of MSV / IR / U1 ? What kind of difference will it make if Rahman says 'IR is his favorite music director' ? As many said, it is their preference and taste.

For e.g., I don't find anything great in MSV's music. That won't make MSV - a lesser mortal. Right ? :huh:

NOV
26th June 2008, 02:10 PM
For e.g., I don't find anything great in MSV's music. That won't make MSV - a lesser mortal. Right ? :huh:lesser talent is the word :roll:

I am :redjump: :bluejump: at your confession selva for I get very :shaking: when you like something. :poke:

selvakumar
26th June 2008, 02:12 PM
For e.g., I don't find anything great in MSV's music. That won't make MSV - a lesser mortal. Right ? :huh:lesser talent is the word :roll:

I am :redjump: :bluejump: at your confession selva for I get very :shaking: when you like something. :poke:
I do like MSV songs. But I don't find them great. Call it as 'taste' or 'appeal'. Ippo mattum illa NOV - I have told this few times in the hub. It is not my first confession. Matha padi MSV mela 'jenma pagai' onnum illai :)

MrJudge
26th June 2008, 02:14 PM

Yeah, you are always right. IR has used "thabelapetti" ONLY from annakili to his recent UO. And yes, annachchi never used any thabelapetti :lol:

selvakumar
26th June 2008, 02:15 PM
BTW, 'Thaatha ilayaRaja voda' music pathi ethukku pa pesanum. I think the topic is on why Rahman didn't refer to IR. It is his preference. He has every right to say that - I believe.

MrJudge
26th June 2008, 03:04 PM
BTW, 'Thaatha ilayaRaja voda' music pathi ethukku pa pesanum. I think the topic is on why Rahman didn't refer to IR. It is his preference. He has every right to say that - I believe.

My point is relevant to the topic, why asking "ethukkupa pesanum"? Kollu thaaththa music style-m annachchi music music style-m come under similar category, so no wonder he didn't refer to IR.

selvakumar
26th June 2008, 03:21 PM
My point is relevant to the topic, why asking "ethukkupa pesanum"? Kollu thaaththa music style-m annachchi music music style-m come under similar category, so no wonder he didn't refer to IR.

But for people who listens to IR's music, it is difficult to settle with that kind of orchestration, IR's music is complicated
If you feel so, why do you expect Rahman to say so ? Moreover, namma thaatha also had acknowledged 'grand thaatha'. enna kodumaiyoe !
IR likes MSV.
Arr likes MSV.
Why should 'complicated style' and 'comedy style' things should come into this ?

MrJudge
26th June 2008, 03:26 PM

But for people who listens to IR's music, it is difficult to settle with that kind of orchestration, IR's music is complicated
If you feel so, why do you expect Rahman to say so ? Moreover, namma thaatha also had acknowledged 'grand thaatha'. enna kodumaiyoe !
IR likes MSV.
Arr likes MSV.
Why should 'complicated style' and 'comedy style' things should come into this ?

I am not expecting annachi/anybody to acknowledge IR. I was telling the same to XML.

selvakumar
26th June 2008, 03:36 PM
I am not expecting annachi/anybody to acknowledge IR. I was telling the same to XML.
My comment was your reference to 'complicated style' and all. Matha padi - I don't have any issues with your view

kham
27th June 2008, 08:56 AM

Yeah, you are always right. IR has used "thabelapetti" ONLY from annakili to his recent UO. And yes, annachchi never used any thabelapetti :lol:

ha ha laugh for your own jokes dude...
BTW can u update all of us on Thabelapetti's upcoming teleserials??? lol :lol:

thineshan54321
27th June 2008, 10:26 AM
Hi all TFM fans

"I like listening to Kishore Amonkar, Hasu Patel and others. And the melodies of the 1960s fascinate me. At the same time the youngster in me digs rock and jazz," he laughs. M.S.Viswanathan is an all time favourite of Rahman. "A real master," he commends.

Is he an alien lived in TN till 70's after that disappeared(to hell or anywhere) and returned in 1994 for roja.
Or
was he born in 1994 with amnesia, could know only 70's and straight away started his career with roja in 1994?
Or
Is he an amnesia patient who completely forgot what was going in 80's and 90's and his keyboard palyer job with IR.

Wov!!He is a strange alien.

Why he didn't go to MSV in 1994 for roja to know more about music from him or why he didn't try to to extract great music from him in his albums rather than copiying from IR,YSR,HOLLYWOOD ARTIST(Whom he don't even know).
Still I don't understand why he didn't help to his guru when he was working as an assistant to MAESTRO IR (as he don't know till now)
Why he didn't object his guru MSV for working with IR.
But instead he followed his guru MSV footstep, worked as a keyboard player with IR to get a life.

Or he could have been worked with Kishore Amonkar, Hasu Patel and others whom he feels as great!!!!

Please do not come up with ARR's hit albums and his achievements of awards and global recognition etc...
I am aware of thaat. I won't refuse that.
But I am confused with his statement in that interview.If he is really shame full he shouldn't have worked with IR in his career.

I need a clarification from ARR or his fans please!!

Thanks
xml

maybe i am illiterate, but i dont really understand what ur talking about. note: i can read everyone else fine here and understand, but having ahard time with what u wrote. so i dont think its because i am illiterate. something else wrong. i did understand parts of ur posts. @ ineed a clarification from ARR. hahaha do u really think arr will reply to a thanda post like this? he is got so much better things to do with his life like giving mindblowing music and his humanitarian causes than to explain things to a person called "xml" whose post doesnt even make sense. chill bro

dinesh2002
27th June 2008, 10:30 AM
I think it is true that annachchi follows MSV style of composing, always more on melody and less orchestration. And he should be his fan definitely. But for people who listens to IR's music, it is difficult to settle with that kind of orchestration, IR's music is complicated. So XML, I don't think anything funny in his interview.

lol... great joke buddy, i never found any complicating stuffs from Illayaraja.... its very easy to catch his pattern or even to identify his style.

Now u tell me, have u heard IR composed Innisai - Godfather or Style - Sivaji or Love Check - Parthale Paravasam ever b4?? now thats what u call complicating orchestration dude ......!!! if ur gonna say " these r latest ARR numbers", lemme give u his early numbers, Chandraleka and Thee Thee from Thiruda Thiruda... dun think IR can even dream of doing such numbers.... :)...

Im not putting down IR, but just to throw some lights on ur ignorance.... thats all :)

Hulkster
27th June 2008, 12:06 PM

lol... great joke buddy, i never found any complicating stuffs from Illayaraja.... its very easy to catch his pattern or even to identify his style.

Now u tell me, have u heard IR composed Innisai - Godfather or Style - Sivaji or Love Check - Parthale Paravasam ever b4?? now thats what u call complicating orchestration dude ......!!! if ur gonna say " these r latest ARR numbers", lemme give u his early numbers, Chandraleka and Thee Thee from Thiruda Thiruda... dun think IR can even dream of doing such numbers.... :)...

Im not putting down IR, but just to throw some lights on ur ignorance.... thats all :)

It depends on the listener what is complicating. In fact every MD has provided with their own complicating structure. When you talk about complicating orchestration it again depends. Is it the way instruments are used or is the way the notations are placed in layers.

To understand IR's music is also quite hard. His song can vary in many ways. They can be a study of one instrument or the usage of vocal harmony. They can also be layerised with many tones and can just be a song full of counterpoints. The power of IR is that he can make the songs sound simple but thorough analysis will prove that it is way complicated that you would marvel how he could even come up with such orchestration. ARR took a book out of this style and added electronica genre to make it much more appealing and not to mention his unconventional tune structure. But talking about musically inclined and IR has more in his repertoire than anybody. :D

NOV
27th June 2008, 12:55 PM
Ok guys, lets agree that everything depends on perspectives and leave it at that. :)