PDA

View Full Version : Today in history

Rangarajan nambi
23rd July 2008, 02:36 PM
Highlight of the day:

On this day, in 2004, Mehmood, a popular Indian comic actor passed away. He was born in 1932. He worked in over 300 Hindi films in a career spanning three decades. He breathed his last in Pennsylvania, US where he had gone for treatment of lung disease after suffering poor health for several years. His fans were able to pay homage to him at Mehboob studio in Mumbai.

Other events of the day:

In 1829: William Austin Burt of Mount Vernon, Mich., received a patent for his typographer, a forerunner of the typewriter.

In 1885: Ulysses S Grant, the 18th president of the United States, died in Mount McGregor, NY, at age 63.

In 1903: Ford Motor Company sold its first car.

In 1914, Austria-Hungary issued an ultimatum to Serbia following the killing of Archduke Francis Ferdinand by a Serb assassin, the dispute led to World War I.

In 1968: The first and only successful hijacking of an El Al aircraft took place when a 707 carrying 10 crew and 38 passengers was taken over by three members of the Popular Front for the Liberation of Palestine (PFLP). The aircraft was en route from Rome, Italy, to Lod, Israel.

In 1972: The United States launched Landsat 1, first Earth-resources satellite.

In 1984: Vanessa Williams became the first Miss America to resign her title, because of nude photographs published in Penthouse magazine.

In 1989: Actor Daniel Radcliffe of Harry Potter fame was born.

In 2000: Tiger Woods became the youngest golfer to complete a career Grand Slam when he won the British Open at age 24.

In 2001: Pulitzer Prize-winning writer Eudora Welty died in Jackson, at the age of 92.

In 2005 Three bombs hit the Naama Bay area of Sharm el-Sheikh, Egypt, killing 88 people.

Rangarajan nambi
23rd July 2008, 02:37 PM
Pl post more such old news

Thalafanz
23rd July 2008, 02:39 PM
Cool thread to improve my general knowledge :clap:

sarna_blr
23rd July 2008, 02:40 PM
Jaya TV's indru idhEy naalil :roll:

Rangarajan nambi
23rd July 2008, 02:42 PM
True Sarna Blr sir

I am inspired by Jaya tv programme only. I thought its very informative. We cant forget history

selvakumar
23rd July 2008, 02:44 PM
But you have started the topic in Music Section. Will be moved to History section by the moderators - I believe. If you dont' find it here, check in this section
http://forumhub.mayyam.com/hub/viewforum.php?f=30

sarna_blr
23rd July 2008, 02:44 PM
True Sarna Blr sir

I am inspired by Jaya tv programme only. I thought its very informative. We cant forget history

:exactly:

Thalafanz
23rd July 2008, 03:02 PM
July 23, 1904

According to some accounts, Charles E. Menches conceived the idea of filling a pastry cone with two scoops of ice-cream and thereby invented the ice-cream cone. :slurp:

anbu_kathir
23rd July 2008, 03:06 PM
Interesting collection. From NDTV.com?

Love and Light.