PDA

View Full Version : Is there any use in seeing TV serials?

hehehewalrus
5th January 2005, 10:33 PM
Is there any use in TV serials? if so can we list them?
:)

SSathiya
5th January 2005, 10:47 PM
It all depend on the person. Personally for me i find that serials:

1.Relieve stress/boredom :D
2.Stimulate the mind( keep the viewer guessing on whats going to happen next)
3.Helped me learn tamil :wink:
4.Good eye candy ( some of the actors are hot!! LOL) :oops:
5. Something to watch with my mom

Thiru
6th January 2005, 12:20 AM
1. makes us lose patience...
2. increases blood pressure
3. stimulates ur body to break the TV
and many more :)

Surya
6th January 2005, 01:01 AM
Gives housewives to do something to do during the day.
Stops guys from watching what they want when they come home.
Anymore?

nirosha sen
6th January 2005, 07:17 AM
Well, you get to :

sit and watch how the serial's scriptwriters work for the home viewers as opposed to the big screen.

good serials keeps the adrenalin flowing as you second guess the flow of the story- line and plot.

form discussion groups that analyse everything to death, while berating the production team for flaws!!

marvel at the acting talents of some of the new faces who might have skipped the opportunity of appearing in the big screen. The latter is mostly reserved for the big names anyway. So, where do the lesser mortals get their exposure from if not the idiot box!

serials as a whole give a wider scope for developing the story-line and plots further, which is rather limited on the big screen.

yes, one does indeed get to improve the Tamil diction which otherwise, rusts away from under-use as in my case!

r_kk
6th January 2005, 07:20 AM
Advantages!!!

Enjoying in wasting valuable human resources and diverting attention from any real creative work (Good relaxation)

Making less interaction with society (less fight and more peace!!!)

Getting lot of matter to discuss on useless and virtual issues (instead of discussing neighbors private life, an escape from very common disease)

What else…

hehehewalrus
6th January 2005, 08:07 AM
1. makes us lose patience...
2. increases blood pressure
3. stimulates ur body to break the TV
and many more :)

u mean
1. more employment for psychiatrists
2. more employment for cardiologists
3. more employment for electricians?

pavalamani pragasam
6th January 2005, 08:18 AM
My opinion same as r_kk's. Women are losing their exclusive skills in handicraft, imagination & culinary art. Their proud endowment of making the home a warm nest, of making life more beautiful & meaningful is getting lost in trivialities & trifles. The housewife's honour of playing hostess with genial hospitality is tarnished. Apathy for social interaction, lethagy to lend a helping hand around & a lot of other symptoms of a corroding disease do not bode well for our formerly happy households. Stealthy importing of foreign behaviour patterns unsuitable for our traditions & mindsets, propaganda of wayward choices- the list is endless & totally frustrating. MAking people couch potatoes- a significant change of lifestyle- paves way for obesity & many more illnesses. Sound mind in a sound body. All these will surely fall on deaf ears!

Querida
6th January 2005, 09:46 AM
I agree wholeheartedly with hex3walrus, r_kk, surya the ever wise pp and Thiru....their use is to make others useless :P

Shekhar
6th January 2005, 09:52 AM
Ofcourse it has advantages...
You can have your peg of whisky in peace when your wife is watching the serials with great involvement!! :D

nirosha sen
6th January 2005, 10:06 AM
Mine awaits with impatience, drumming his fingers, while I watch Annamalai!! :lol:

For it's prime time at 9pm, and CNN, BBC and CNBC have much news compared to "this show for retards!!" as he says....... :x

Roshan
6th January 2005, 11:13 AM
Why only women? What about the men? I have seen many men who are addicted to TV serials. The worse part is, when they get held up in office or have some unavoidable appointments they call their home and instruct the women folk to record that particular day's episode for them :evil:

As r_kk and PP rightly said they - especially women are wasting their valuable time which they can utilize on some productive work or atleast watch some worthy programs or do some reading. And the children, especially the kids are the worse affected ones. The elders dont realise the negative impact these serials create on children.

It is so sad to see the elders requesting the kids to brief a day's episode when ever they miss it. The parents take great pride when their kids mimic a particular character of a serial ( usually a wicked character). These are also a part of 'child abuse' I would say :twisted:

The most irritating part is - when there's a family get togethr, party or function all women folks get together and start discussing about the serials as if those are happening in real. :evil:

suressh
6th January 2005, 12:51 PM

kombu muLaiththa ( athuvum moonru muRai ) roshan-aip paarkka paarkka enakku siripputhaan varukiRathu... :lol:

tholaik kaatshi thodarkaLinaal mukkiyamaana onru vittupOivittathu pOl thOnRukiRathu. athu -

virunthOmbal....

r_kk
6th January 2005, 01:21 PM
Human is not a machine and entertainment also a small part of life. But the problem with these kinds of serials is that it considered as more than as entertainment and as a major portion of life itself. If you go to movie of your choice after a long work, you will enjoy just like having a sweet at the end of food, and most of us will forget the movie that we had seen, within few hours or days (some of them at theatre itself). But serials are not like that. Here sweet is served as main food, all the time and people are waiting for the next episode as addict and discuss lot about what comes next. So much more time is wasted.

And most of the serials are unrealistic and each episode ends with a twist or surprise, which makes the viewer to wait for the next day and create an eager to discuss to find the possible outcome of the twist.

Already our traditional arts, which were part of our social life, are difficult to survive due to the effect of movies. Now we have serials also against it. The effect of serials on social life, family life, children behaviors can be written in many pages with lot of twist (like serial! then only sincere viewer may find this subject interesting).

Roshan
6th January 2005, 01:47 PM
And most of the serials are unrealistic and each episode ends with a twist or surprise, which makes the viewer to wait for the next day and create an eager to discuss to find the possible outcome of the twist.

They say those serials have 'cliffhangers' but I think once you get accustomed to it - what happens next becomes highly predictable. Most of the serial lovers do admit it and yet keep watching with lot of enthusiasm. :lol:

Querida
7th January 2005, 06:52 AM
loved your reply Roshan...what you said about men is so true...i know some people say it's time for them to spend time as a couple but both aimlessly staring at melodrama is far from quality time...that and the auntie-jis who go on like the characters are real people they know...how many times...and i've said this before...have i heard such a far-fetched tale of sorrow and taken it seriously only to find it was some tv serial :x

hehehewalrus
8th January 2005, 06:24 AM
Wow, lot of responses :)

While starting the thread, I purposely did not state my views since I wanted to see what automatically comes in the minds of people when you talk of serials - If I had expressed my opinion, it would have influenced people to think in a particular direction.

Imagine that your children are in the drawing room.

Scene1: Two elderly people join them and loudly gossip about another person saying lot of "illaadhadhu pollaadhadhu" things.
Would you allow that to happen in front of your kids?

Scene2: A grown up guy and a girl talk of methods to fool parents(tuition/group study/other lies) and devise methods to meet clandestinely - or do much worse than just discuss.

Scene3: Minor guys or gals talk and comment all kinds of things about the opposite sex.

NOBODY in the right mind will tolerate this happening in their living rooms.

But when the same things happen on TV, forget the kids, parents themselves are unable to stop themselves from watching.

The matter here is this:

1. Do what we see influence us?
2. Do what we hear influence us?
3. Do what we endorse influence our children?

The obvious answer to all three questions is YES.

Can anyone watch serials for 2 hours a day, 10 hours every week, 60 hours a month, 720 hours a year, then come out and say that what he listened/saw/heard for 720 hours a year will not influence him?

Is cigarette smoking a relaxation?
Is alcohol a relaxation?

It is not my desire to criticise anyone. But in these days when kids are having hundreds of things to misguide them, when the generation gap is so huge between a 30 year old and 20 year old, when parents cant agree with kids' choices, when youngsters run away and marry......

My neighbors in India were a young couple - their kid, a 5 year old used to spend all her time in my home(4 bachelors) from 7pm to 11pm - parents sitting glued to the TV all these hours. This non-tamil group of bachelors memorised the theme song of a tamil serial as it was belted out of their neighbors home unfailingly at 10:30 every night :D

suressh
10th January 2005, 03:13 PM

naaL thavaRAmal tv pArkum in naNbarkaL sila pEr uNdu...

"ennada kathai" enRa ennudaiya kELvikku mattum avarkaL evaridam irunthum ithuvarai pathil illai.... :lol:

suressh
10th January 2005, 03:14 PM

walrus,

vERoru thiriyil neengaL ennidam kEtta kELvikku pathil :

"aamaamunga" :)

( athu sari... antha thiri enna aachu...? pOye pOchu... its gone :-) )

nirosha sen
10th January 2005, 06:23 PM
I watch only Annamalai so far!!! Waiting for it to be over before I quit Tamil serials, Pa!! Their themes are all the same! But ....

......... :lol: Chidambara Rahasiyam sounds intriguing!!! Wonder when it's gonna turn up in Malaysia??? :D

hehehewalrus
11th January 2005, 12:14 PM
suresh,
appadi thaan irukanum. rendu perum orey oor aachey. aana onu, discipline-a irukanum!
(koundamani's dialogue to vijay :)

unhappyboy
11th January 2005, 11:29 PM
Is there any use in TV serials? if so can we list them?

We need more comedy serials. God!!! do any of you watch Malayalam
serials(and some tamil serials) They are anti-women ,and their outlook is extremely narrow. I dont subscribe to the view that TV serials corrupt kids. They are smart enough to gather information from
every possible source anyway.. you cant keep them away from the TV and the internet!!!! :roll: :roll:

As I said before, we all need a little cheer in our otherwise drab lives
and the only way to enliven the scene is to watch comedy serials
SVSekhar YG Mahendran, Vivek , Senthil/Goundmani etc... :wink: :wink:

hehehewalrus
12th January 2005, 12:27 AM
u missed out crazy mohan :evil:

visu
14th January 2005, 04:54 PM
I hate when my parents watch TV serial when there is a cricket match going on. They dont give a damn for the match however close it may be. They still prefer to watch Serials.

Also i haven't seen any Detective or real fact oriented Dramas being telecast . All these Dramas have non-stop crying scenes.

:(

Surya
15th January 2005, 02:10 AM
Visu,
I know how you feel. :) That's why I have a TV in my room. Except for me, it's Basketball instead of Cricket.

hehehewalrus
16th January 2005, 03:55 AM
he he he, u finally ended up becoming the real surya? :)

blahblah
17th January 2005, 11:35 AM
I refuse to watch anything except comedy serials.Real life is full of tensions and anxiety.Why should we add to the problem?Serials should be aimed at providing a little relaxation to the viewer. :D

shakthi
17th January 2005, 01:27 PM
I refuse to watch anything except comedy serials.Real life is full of tensions and anxiety.Why should we add to the problem?Serials should be aimed at providing a little relaxation to the viewer.

Yup, you are right, I don't like to spend money on buying tickets to movies which I know are tearjerkers or have sad endings - why add further misery to our worry-filled lives?!!!

I rather spend more to go and enjoy a good jolly time at the cinema.

But seriously, these serials are really taking too much of our quality time. I can speak for myself. When Annamalai was aired in Malaysia I eagerly wait for it - and religiously sat in front of the tv a few mnutes before its air time with the remote control in my hand lest hubby grabs it n switches the channel.

I was a real 'Villi' at that time ! Never even allowing hubby to switch during the ad time - so afraid that I will miss the continuation part after the ad! My hubby's complaint of 'Adi pavi, intha time aavathu ennaku anchi nimisham koden' just fails to move me!!!

And sometimes when hubby really wanted to watch a much awaited live sports telecast, then everything erupts. We end quarelling n after that feel so stupid about it. Hey come on we are supposed to be 2 sensible adults and here we are fighting like kids.

But enough is enough hubby & I concluded - nowadays I don't watch serials unless I really have nothing to do at all.

The truth is most of these serials are of the same theme. Same Mamiyar Marumagal fights, betrayals, love etc. Real bore-lah!

It's only meant to be a pastime and should not control ppl's routine.

I realise the days when I don't watch the serials, I am able to complete my household chores, spend more time with my children & have quality talks with hubby.

A real life event - the invitation card stated the wedding dinner was at 7.30 pm but the bride & groom only arrived at 8.30 pm. :roll: The food was only served after that. Shortly after that, most of the guests hurriedly finished their dinners, congratulated the newly wed couple & left the function hall. All this happened in a span of 15 - 20 minutes!!!! :lol: :lol:

At 9 pm only the family members and the very closest friends were still there at the function.

Nowadays I realise that not many ppl have functions around 9 pm anymore. Annamalai certainly has controlled/restricted our social lives....

Shekhar
17th January 2005, 03:38 PM
Shakti.. welcome back.
I am a bit confused. I thought you were in Bangalore. When did you go to Malasia?

I hardly watch any serials, if at all, it is some english comedy serial. That too never regularly.
Indian comedy serials are a real tragedy :( The directors seem to think bufoonery is humour.
But I watch programmes like 'Sa re ga ma pa'.
The family drama serials are all 'By women, of women, for women'!! :D :lol:

Surya
18th January 2005, 12:23 AM
he he he, u finally ended up becoming the real surya? :)

:D He is my fav actor, and not only because we have the same names.

////Indian comedy serials are a real tragedy The directors seem to think bufoonery is humour.////

Very True, Chinna Pappa Periya Pappa is a good example. :(

I think that Annamalai is one of the better seriels, because it has a better plot, and better screenplay. Also done in a way that its also possible for men to sit through it.

shakthi
18th January 2005, 08:02 AM
Hi sekhar,

I was never in Bangalore :? . Born, bred & still living in Malaysia. Only time I was in India was for a study vacation in 1995.

Perhaps someone else went by that name in the old forum!!?

nirosha sen
18th January 2005, 08:40 AM
well, I've given up fighting with hubby over the remote control because I watch Annamalai on CDs these days. Since the serial is at least 20 episodes behind in Malaysia, it's only right that I watch it on CDs to keep up with what's on Suntv which we are not privy to in M'sia.

Yeah, Annamalai does have its saving graces which is why I've been hooked on it eversince I laid eyes on the character Soothadi Chittan! This guy totally freaked me out with the background of a Sivan Temple and his mysterious forecasts, each time he turns up in front of the cameras!! Real spooky Pa!!

blahblah
18th January 2005, 10:49 AM
[quote="Shekhar"]Shakti.. welcome back.
I am a bit confused. I thought you were in Bangalore. When did you go to Malasia? [/ :D :quote]

I too was a little confused.Is this the same lady or was that Shakthiprabha and this Shakthi is different?

shakthi
18th January 2005, 11:36 AM
To clear all your doubts, I am not the Shakthiprabha you mentioned, blahblah.

I am Shakthi of Malaysia - so does that mean I have to get another identification - no need lah, ok?! :wink:

BTW, where is Shakthiprabha?

Shekhar
18th January 2005, 04:31 PM
To clear all your doubts, I am not the Shakthiprabha you mentioned, blahblah.

I am Shakthi of Malaysia - so does that mean I have to get another identification - no need lah, ok?! :wink:

BTW, where is Shakthiprabha?

Shakthi,

Shakthiprabha is long known to us as shakti only. She changed her identity to Shaktipriya and Shaktiprabha just for a few days in between (God knows why! Shakthi is a nice name.. :) ) I heard she is busy in appearing for an exam! (I don't know what exam. I thought she always exams others! :wink: )
She is a wonderful hubber, with literary and poetic fervor. She had/has a very explicit dignified presence in the hub.
I suggest both of you keep the same identify. It would be real fun people responding to one thinking she is the other!! And you two can argue with each other thoroughly confusing us all!! :lol:

hehehewalrus
18th January 2005, 04:37 PM
I suggest both of you keep the same identify. It would be real fun people responding to one thinking she is the other!!

I can detect a Crazy Mohan story here that finishes with a Visu-like moral in the end :P

Roshan
18th January 2005, 05:34 PM
hhhw,

I'm sure Shekhar isn't aware of Crazy-Mohan or Visu 8) :lol:

Shekhar
19th January 2005, 03:51 PM
Hey, what is this crazy Mohan - Visu issue?!!
Visu is an old hubber.. right?

Roshan
19th January 2005, 04:04 PM
Hey, what is this crazy Mohan - Visu issue?!!
Visu is an old hubber.. right?

hahaha :lol: Shekhar, for you it is completely 'Swahili' :lol:

Crazy Mohan is a very famous script writer, director, and actor of comedy dramas (both stage and Television) in Tamil.

And Visu is a script writer, director and actor of Tamil films - mainly family based ones. He used to be a stage artist too and at present he is one of the famous Tamil talk show presentators.

Both have their own and unique styles when it comes to dialogue writing and usually visu tends to confuse you a bit with twisting words :D

Cinefan
20th January 2005, 04:39 PM
Roshan,
don't forget to mention that Crazy Mohan is Kamal's 'asthana'dialogue writer.Both of them share a wonderful rapport from Apoorva Sahodaragal to VR MBBS(about 9 films).

Roshan
20th January 2005, 04:54 PM
Women are being criticized for being addicted to TV serials but the ultimate truth is - It's not the Women but the MEN who are completely addicted to TV serials. Just see the " Re collecting old TV serials" thread.

And I think that is the case even for creams, make-ups, facials and foundations :lol: :P

hehehewalrus
21st January 2005, 05:09 AM
Cinefan,
is there any strong relation between KB and Crazy? KB's Poikaal Kudhirai was taken from Crazy's "Marriage Made in Saloon" Drama.

Cinefan
22nd January 2005, 10:56 AM
hehehewalrus,
I don't think so except that KB gave a break(as he has done to so many other talents)to Crazy Mohan by adopting his drama&using him to write the dialogues.Later Crazy prospered in the company of Kamal.

Shekhar
22nd January 2005, 04:04 PM
Women are being criticized for being addicted to TV serials but the ultimate truth is - It's not the Women but the MEN who are completely addicted to TV serials. :P

Come on Roshan... who is criticising you?? There is much more peace at home in this world due to these serials .. :) :) But for these serials men would'nt have had so much of nag free time :lol:

Tell me, how many men watch these plethora of sas, bahu, beti serials??

blahblah
22nd January 2005, 04:15 PM
Shekhar,If you see the other serial threads,you may have to agree a lot of men watch them too-atleast hehehewalrus does :wink: .

hehehewalrus
23rd January 2005, 06:10 AM
Shekhar,If you see the other serial threads,you may have to agree a lot of men watch them too-atleast hehehewalrus does :wink: .

Blahblah, that was an entirely different routine those days.

3:30 : back from school
3:30 - 4:30 finish written homework
4:30 - 5:00 snacks
5:00 - 6:00 play(my dad strongly insisted on this - we had a weekly tournament schedule among the kids)
6:00 - 7:30 study for daily test
7:30 - 8:00 serial+dinner
8:00 - 9:30 study for tests, break for English News.

these days such controls are impossible, as there are serials 24 hours.

blahblah
24th January 2005, 11:38 AM
Walrus,I can see that you were a good boy.Or is it your dad? :lol:

Shakthiprabha.
27th January 2005, 09:41 PM
ABSOLUTELY None.

Serials are WASTE OF PRECIOUS TIME. Instead oen can
read books, take a nice romantic night walk, or muse
aroudn the memories of the day.

Serials these dys are too melodramatic to take in.
The trend goes that these days, most serials have
ladies playing bad roles, BELIEVE ME ITS UNIMAGINABLY
GHASTLY ROLES.

On a lighter note, some married women claim by watching
serials they have better relationship WITH THEIR
mother in laws, AND VICE VERSA...sicne the thought
travels..'HEY AINT MY DAUGHTER IN LAW (OR MOTHER IN LAW)
A GEM compared to these crooked ladies!'

It can take an extremely dangerous twist too. For in
some serials they depict daughter in laws, who get up
at 4. am (or earlier) has bath, puts rangoli,cook lunch, breakfast, packs food, AND ABOVE ALL SMILESS ACTUALLy
while doing all this, AND THEN VROOOOM out she is to
her office with all gleeful face, returns back fresh
as a flowre, to make dinner.......

omg, i am tired just writing it...(TOO MUCH TO EXPECT
FROM A SUPER WOMAN EH)

Roshan
28th January 2005, 04:17 PM
Test

Shekhar
28th January 2005, 06:09 PM
Hi Shakti, Nice to see you back ..

Exams?!! Whom were you examining?!! :)

Shekhar
28th January 2005, 06:21 PM
ABSOLUTELY None.

Absolutely none?!! Think again :D :D I have given a couple wonderful uses above in this thread :D

Serials are WASTE OF PRECIOUS TIME. Instead oen can read books, take a nice romantic night walk, or muse aroudn the memories of the day.

Depends on what you read... I have seen some college girls reading the kind of books, believe me.. they would be better off seeing TV serials. :D :)

Take a nice romantic night walk?! ...Sure with whom? :lol: :lol:

Muse around with memories of the day?!!! .... Why do you think we men sit with a peg of whisky in the evenings?? Just to do the opposite. :lol:

lordstanher
26th May 2005, 02:22 PM
I think it depends on wat kind of serials u see.......sum serials r truly worth watching & meaningful....
For eg. in Sun TV I liked most of the ones *ing Raadhika.....shez portrayed her roles excellently in the big as well as small screen.....inc. her current serial Selvi......
But one shud not become addicted to them....ironically my mother herself has become so addicted to 'Metti Oli' (Sun TV) tat she becomes paranoid of missing even half of a single episode..... :D
We'd gone sight-seeing day b4 y'day and returned back to our place at around 8.45pm.....tired tho she was, my mum was frantically wishing we reach home by 9pm just in time for MO......
so when the bus stopped for a while at a traffic signal, she became restless as to how long it wud take and decided tat we take our bags & get down onto the road then & there b4 the signal turned green, so we cud catch an auto & rush home, rather than wait til we reached the bus-station! No kidding! :roll: :lol:
Nevertheless it still took 15 mins and so we cud see only the remaining half of the serial.......but my mum was contended even w/ tat! :D

rajasaranam
26th May 2005, 03:31 PM
Lord,

Can you get some contribution for Scorpio in that 'bhindi masala' thread :wink:

lordstanher
26th May 2005, 03:55 PM
Lord,

Can you get some contribution for Scorpio in that 'bhindi masala' thread :wink:

Bhindi Masala?? :? I don't rem. participating in tat thread so far...... :? Neways, will check it out.... :)