PDA

View Full Version : Foods that heal (paati vaidhyam)

Shakthiprabha.
31st July 2008, 07:18 PM
Any person possessing knowledgeable of

Simple home remedies for ailments chronic or otherwise can be posted here for the benefits of others.

Anyone seeking advise for any small or larger problems can enquire here.

Wibha
1st August 2008, 10:09 AM
kashayam can cure anything :) although not a kashayam drinker :oops:

Bipolar
3rd August 2008, 01:44 AM
I came across an interesting book: CRC Handbook of Medicinal Spices (http://www.amazon.com/Handbook-Medicinal-Spices-James-Duke/dp/0849312795/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1217707759&sr=8-1), by James A Duke. An electronic copy of the book is available here (http://rapidshare.com/files/110616083/CRC_Handbook_of_Medicinal_Spices_0849312795.pdf). It may be of interest to you.

RAJESWARY PARANTHAMAN
3rd September 2008, 12:37 PM
[tscii:d9aa13a39f]COMMON COLD / RUNNING NOSE
A common cold, also known as acute coryza, is an inflammation of the upper respiratory tract caused by infection with common cold viruses. A common cold occurs more often than any other disease - hence, its name. A person may suffer from a common fold several times in a year. A cold usually lasts from three to ten days. The patient feels miserable for the first three days or so.

Common Cold Symptoms
Soreness of throat, congestion of nasal passages
The initial signs of a cold are a feeling of soreness of the throat and congestion of the nasal passages. Although the disease normally begins in the nose and throat, it affects all parts of the body.

Running nose, Sneezing, headache, chill
Its usual symptoms are a running nose, sneezing, a rise in temperature, headache, sore throat, chill, aches and pains in the body, and loss of appetite. The skin around the nostrils may become sore.

Causes of Common Cold
Exposure to the virus
A common cold results from exposure to the virus. Its intensity, however, depends upon the state of health of the person and environmental factors.
Exposure to cold, low vitality, dust, changes in temperature
Low vitality, exposure to cold, lack of sleep, mental depression, fatigue, and factors such as sudden changes in temperature, dust, and other irritating inhalations are important contributory causes.

Common Cold Home Remedies
Common Cold treatment using Lemon
Lemon is the most important among the many home remedies for common cold. It is beneficial in all types of cold with fever. Vitamin C-rich lemon juice increases body resistance, decreases toxicity and reduces the duration of the illness. One lemon should be diluted in a glass of warm water, and a teaspoon of honey should be added to it. This should be taken once or twice daily.
Common Cold treatment using Garlic
Garlic soup is an old remedy to reduce the severity of a cold, and should be taken once daily. The soup can be prepared by boiling three or four cloves of chopped garlic in a cup of water. Garlic contains antiseptic and antispasmodic properties, besides several other medicinal virtues. The oil contained in this vegetable helps to open up the respiratory passages. In soup form, it flushes out all toxins from the system and thus helps bring down fever. Five drops of garlic oil combined with a teaspoon of onion juice, and diluted in a cup of water, should be drunk two to three times a day. This has also been found to be very effective in the treatment of common cold.
Common Cold treatment using Ginger
Ginger is another excellent remedy for colds and coughs. About ten grams of ginger should be cut into small pieces and boiled in a cup of water. It should then be strained and half a teaspoon of sugar added to it. This decoction should be drunk when hot. Ginger tea, prepared by adding a few pieces of ginger into boiled water before adding the tea leaves, is also an effective remedy for colds and for fevers resulting from cold. It may be taken twice daily.
Common Cold treatment using Lady's Fingers
Lady's fingers are highly valuable in treating irritation of the throat and a persistent dry cough. This vegetable is rich in mucilage and acts as a drug to allay irritation, swelling, and pain. About 100 gm of lady's fingers should be cut into pieces, and boiled down in half a litre of water to make a decoction. The steam issuing from this decoction may also be inhaled once or twice a day to relieve throat irritation and a dry cough.
Common Cold treatment using Bitter Gourd Roots
The roots of the bitter gourd plant are used in folk medicine to cure a cold. A teaspoon of the root paste, mixed with an equal quantity of honey or tulsi leaf juice, given once every night for a month, acts as an excellent medicine for colds.
Common Cold treatment using Turmeric
Turmeric is an effective remedy for colds and throat irritations. Half a teaspoon of fresh turmeric powder mixed in 30 ml of warm milk, and taken once or twice daily, is a useful prescription for these conditions. Turmeric powder should be put into a hot ladle. Milk should then be poured in it and boiled over a slow fire. This mixture should then be drunk by the patient. In case of a running cold, smoke from the burning turmeric should be inhaled. It will increase the discharge from the nose and provide quick relief.
Common Cold treatment using Tamarind and Pepper
Tamarind-pepper rasam is also considered an effective home remedy for a cold in South India. Dilute 50 mg tamarind in 250 ml of water. Boil the diluted tamarind water for a few minutes with a teaspoon of hot ghee and half a teaspoon of black pepper powder. This steaming hot rasam has a flushing effect, and should be taken three times a day. As one takes it, the nose and eyes water and the nasal blockage is cleared.
Common Cold treatment using Vitamin C
Regular intake of vitamin C-75 mg for adults and 35 mg for children-will prevent the common cold. If, however, a cold has already appeared, large doses of this vitamin will relieve the symptoms and shorten its duration. He estimates that one to two grams (1000 mg to 2000 mg) per day is approximately the optimum amount of this vitamin for this purpose. His advice is to swallow one or two 500mg tablets of vitamin C at the appearance of the first sign of the cold and continue the treatment by taking one to two 500 mg tablets daily.
Home Remedies for Stuffy Nose
Inhale turmeric fumes, for this tie some turmeric in a clean cloth and light it. Boil some water and allow it to cool, now add ¼ teaspoon table salt to it. Put 2 to 3 drops of this solution in your both the nostrils before meals and going to bed. Mix natural apple cider vinegar and water in equal parts. Boil this solution in a pan, when the fumes rises lean over the pan and inhale the fumes. Prepare a solution using 4 drops of Lavender Essential Oil and Pine Essential Oil, 3 drops of Peppermint Essential Oil and 7 drops of Eucalyptus Essential Oil. Inhale vapors of this solution by putting it on a cotton ball or an aromatherapy diffuser.

Dietaries for Common Cold
Abstain solid foods, drink fruit and vegetable juices
During the acute stage of the cold, when fever is present, the patient should abstain from all solid foods and only drink fruit and vegetable juices, diluted with water.
Well-balanced diet of seeds, nuts
After the acute symptoms are over, the patient can gradually embark upon a well-balanced diet, consisting of seeds, nuts, grains, vegetables, and fruits.
Avoid meat, fish, eggs and starchy foods
It is advisable to avoid meat, fish, eggs, cheese, and starchy foods.

Other Common Cold treatments
Mild sunbath, fresh air, deep breathing, sound sleep etc
Other useful measures in the treatment of a common cold are a mild sunbath, fresh air and deep breathing, brisk walks, sound sleep, and adjustment of one's clothes and habits to the requirements of the season so as to nullify the effect of weather fluctuations.

[/tscii:d9aa13a39f]

Anoushka
3rd September 2008, 04:50 PM
I use milk with panankalkandu for cold/cough. Also milk with turmeric, honey with sukku powder. Sometimes tulasi, vetrilai kashayam helps too.

And cabbage cures toungue/mouth ulcers anytime for me :)

Nichiro
6th September 2008, 02:48 AM
Friends,

This may come as a BIG surprise for you.
Green and Red chillies prevent cancer !!!

Our body developes a cancerous condition only when our blood is acidic , meaning when the pH is low.

Cancerous cells cannot survive or grow when blood is alkaline.

The biggest paradox here is in process of turning blood slightly alkaline.
How do we achieve this?

Acidic food, acid forming foods and acids when consumed, result in our blood becoming alkaline .!!

Daily usage of chilli peppers and chilli powder fecilitates formation of Hydrochloric acid which results into blood turning alkaline.!!

You may get more information from the net on this subject.
I have switched over to green chillis (Naga Jolokia) pickle twice a day and I must admit that for the last one year, my health has become as fit as a taught bow.

You may try this out after getting sufficient info from the net.

Be healthy, eat chillies.

Nichiro

Nichiro
6th September 2008, 04:00 AM
Anoushka,

Manthakkali kirai, IMHO is the best cure for mouth ulcers.

Jst chew the leaves three or four times a day and swallow the cud.

In couple of days, worst ever ulcers disappear.

Nichiro

Designer
17th September 2008, 07:11 AM
Keezhanelli keerai for Jaundice

The fresh leaves of Keezhanelli keerai (Phyllanthus amarus) (http://www.ethnobiomed.com/content/2/1/43/table/T1) are ground and mixed with a cup of cow's milk or buttermilk and taken internally to cure jaundice (during early morning on an empty stomach.) Taking it also while convalescing prevents Jaundice from relapsing later on.

Anoushka
18th September 2008, 02:47 AM
Friends,

This may come as a BIG surprise for you.
Green and Red chillies prevent cancer !!!

Our body developes a cancerous condition only when our blood is acidic , meaning when the pH is low.

Cancerous cells cannot survive or grow when blood is alkaline.

The biggest paradox here is in process of turning blood slightly alkaline.
How do we achieve this?

Acidic food, acid forming foods and acids when consumed, result in our blood becoming alkaline .!!

Daily usage of chilli peppers and chilli powder fecilitates formation of Hydrochloric acid which results into blood turning alkaline.!!

You may get more information from the net on this subject.
I have switched over to green chillis (Naga Jolokia) pickle twice a day and I must admit that for the last one year, my health has become as fit as a taught bow.

You may try this out after getting sufficient info from the net.

Be healthy, eat chillies.

Nichiro

not sure how true this is, my chithi who used to eat bottles od green chilli pickles died of stomach cancer...

Anoushka
18th September 2008, 02:48 AM
Anoushka,

Manthakkali kirai, IMHO is the best cure for mouth ulcers.

Jst chew the leaves three or four times a day and swallow the cud.

In couple of days, worst ever ulcers disappear.

Nichiro I've heard of this too, but that keerai is not available worldwide....

padmanabha
18th September 2008, 09:01 AM
is there any cure for tennis elbow? i have been sufffering from this since past three years?
often undergo physiotherapy-the cure was only temporary.
remedy please.

Anoushka
18th September 2008, 12:12 PM
Try osteopathy - it is non invasive and supposedly it works. I have tried osteopathy for other reasons for my little son and it has worked for him! Hope this helps :)

Shakthiprabha.
20th September 2008, 12:10 PM
Thanks

ms.rajeswari, anou, wibhs and all.

I have another question here. I have few health issues and need to strictly take care of my COLD, which my worsen this particualr health problem of mine.

I have started getting few strands of grey hair, earlier I used to use henna applied once in 2 months or 3 months. Now, I have second thoughts using henna as it may lead to cold and hence worsening of my health issue. I tried tea decoction, beetroot juice etc but in vain.

I can however remain with grey hair, but right now I am not too happy with that alternative :(

Is there a solution to color hair without henna ? (not chemicals)?

IF henna can be used, (say soaking for 4 hours or so) how to avoid cold as a result of the application of henna?

any suggestions?

app_engine
21st September 2008, 03:38 AM
not sure how true this is, my chithi who used to eat bottles od green chilli pickles died of stomach cancer...

That's not good either, I think:-)

Nichiro
21st September 2008, 05:05 PM
Anoushka,

Too much is too bad.Everything in moderation is good.
Too much of alkalinity in blood is also poisonous.

Nichiro

dev
24th September 2008, 09:58 PM
This is not home remedy...but I dont see any other apt thread to post it...

There are medicines in homeopathy which if taken during pregnancy will help in easy, quick & less pain delivery... I took the medicines from the beginning of the 7th month until the end... & labor lasted for hardly 2 1/2 hrs...

Hope this will be of use to atleast a few...

Shakthiprabha.
30th September 2008, 04:08 PM
Alternatiave herbal hair dye (home trials) for mehendi

For Brunette shades, rinse hair with one of these suggestions:

The cooled water left after boiling unpeeled potatoes

Teas made from rosemary, sage, raspberry leaves, parsley, or catnip

Black tea - rerinse 15 times with the same liquid before final water rinse (repeat daily for best results)

An infusion of tea, walnuts and coffee

An infusion of apple cider vinegar, rosemary and coffee

Boil walnut husks in water for about 15 minutes then strain, COOL and apply to your hair - it is said to make brown hair darker.

_______

For red shades, rinse hair with:

Cool, strong black coffee

Strong tea made from rosehips, red hibiscus, calendula, cloves or saffron. Rerinse 15 times with the same liquid before final water rinse (repeat daily for best results)

1/2 cup beet juice and 1/2 cup carrot juice mixed together - sit in the sun for an hour then rinse (repeat daily for best results)

_________

I think one may get TEMPORARY result for a day (mild color ) thats all!!!!

HEnna is the best hair dye!

For ppl like who are prone to cold......

BEST SOLUTION is, to accept white hair and do not be put off with one's matured (or aged?) look.

dev
30th September 2008, 06:31 PM
SP, dailyum karuvepillai podi saapidunga... u can slowdown the rate at which silver hair appears... atleast tht's wht ppl say...;)

Shakthiprabha.
30th September 2008, 06:36 PM
:ty: dev, :)

I have already done those part.

athelaam work out aaguvathillai. atleast for me.

Strong heriditary. My mom had white hair at 35. Now shez all white like santa claus at the age of 60. Ive taken after her.

I was happy with this henna thingy, until recently where I am told its creating life threatening danger for me ( due to other health issues)

It takes time and effort and pillow-wettings to accept the white hair fact (atleast for me)

I would...eventually.

Nichiro
9th October 2008, 05:10 PM
is there any cure for tennis elbow? i have been sufffering from this since past three years?
often undergo physiotherapy-the cure was only temporary.
remedy please.

The cure is simple. Select the hottest chilli available (green) and carefully make a thick paste using mortar stone.Add a little oil and mix thoroughly. Apply this paste on paining part of the elbow twice a day . You may tie a bandage around the affected part.

Continue this therapy for three to four days . Miracle will happen that your pain has disappeared for good.

Arthritic pain also can be minimised and cured this way.

Nichiro

padmanabha
9th October 2008, 06:00 PM
thanks for suggestion - will try and let u know by next week

Nichiro
9th October 2008, 11:02 PM
padmanabha,

There is another way to use the same remedy.

If you are in Tamilnadu/Andhra, please select Gundu Mozaka or Sannam Guntur red dry chillies.
Remove stalk and using a heavy stne and mortar, make a fine paste using little oil .
Use this paste like a balm on affected parts. Do not remove seeds please.

You can tie a bandage above this chilli paste which is pre covered with cotton.

Nichiro

Shakthiprabha.
9th October 2008, 11:13 PM
Dear all,

We all must have heard innumerable benefits of GREEN-TEA.

They say having 2 cups of green - tea per day, improves over all health.

Herez one benefit I experienced myself.

Do u have body ache?
feeling feverish?
low on energy?
Eyes heavy/aching/droopy?
mild headache due to strain?

have a cup of GREEN TEA.

http://www.acupuncturesupply.co.uk/images/Green%20Tea.jpg

It boosts ur energy level LIKE MAGIC!! INSTANTLY! in less than 5 minutes.

_______

When u have cold/sorethroat etc you may feel low on energy. Try 2 cups of green tea. It WILL make u feel refreshed. You may even prevent fever or minimise the chances :?

villan007
10th October 2008, 08:09 PM
any simple home remedies for dandruff and hair fall ? :roll:

NOV
10th October 2008, 08:14 PM
any simple home remedies for dandruff and hair fall ? :roll:go for regular steaming.
avoid hair conditioner touching your scalp.

app_engine
10th October 2008, 09:02 PM
villain007,

Application of "Cinnamon powder + honey" on the scalp and taking bath / hairwash after an hour or so has worked wonders on a number of people I know on this hairloss business. Give it a try:-)

app_engine
10th October 2008, 09:10 PM
Sorry, I missed the olive oil part - this is what:

=======
HAIR LOSS
For people suffering from hair loss or baldness the following paste has been found to be effective: In warm olive oil, mix one tablespoon of honey, one teaspoon cinnamon powder, make a paste and apply before taking a bath. Leave on the scalp /hair for around 5 ―15 minutes, and then wash the hair.
========

Believe me, I've seen this work for people...

(ஹி..ஹி...எனக்கு உபயோகிக்க வேண்டிய அவசியம் இன்னும் வரல...)

Shakthiprabha.
10th October 2008, 09:11 PM
Honey is supp to lighten the hair right?
I mean cause grey hair ?

app_engine
10th October 2008, 09:13 PM
Honey is supp to lighten the hair right?
I mean cause grey hair ?

அது ஒரு மூட நம்பிக்கை என நினைக்கிறேன். எனக்குத்தெரிந்தவர்களுக்கு முடி இன்னும் கருப்புத்தான்:-)

Shakthiprabha.
10th October 2008, 09:14 PM
:D okei.

bingleguy
10th October 2008, 09:20 PM
pimples ...... boils ...... on face !

:roll: dont ask me to control chips ;-) or oily foods !
:P

dev
11th October 2008, 12:45 PM
:ty: dev, :)

I have already done those part.

athelaam work out aaguvathillai. atleast for me.

Strong heriditary. My mom had white hair at 35. Now shez all white like santa claus at the age of 60. Ive taken after her.

I was happy with this henna thingy, until recently where I am told its creating life threatening danger for me ( due to other health issues)

It takes time and effort and pillow-wettings to accept the white hair fact (atleast for me)

I would...eventually.

Oh...okay... I'll let you know if i can fine any natural hair dye other than henna...

sarna_blr
11th October 2008, 01:08 PM
Sorry, I missed the olive oil part - this is what:

=======
HAIR LOSS
For people suffering from hair loss or baldness the following paste has been found to be effective: In warm olive oil, mix one tablespoon of honey, one teaspoon cinnamon powder, make a paste and apply before taking a bath. Leave on the scalp /hair for around 5 ―15 minutes, and then wash the hair.
========

Believe me, I've seen this work for people...

(ஹி..ஹி...எனக்கு உபயோகிக்க வேண்டிய அவசியம் இன்னும் வரல...)

cinnamon powder'na enna :? wr can I get it :roll:

I have two hair problems . 1 is hair falling and other is becoming white :sigh2:

dev
11th October 2008, 02:54 PM
Kulandhaigalukku vasambu evalo maasathil irundhu kudukalaam?... what is the dosage & frequency?...

app_engine
11th October 2008, 05:41 PM
cinnamon = இலவங்கப்பட்டை (சமையலில் உபயோகிக்கும் 'பட்டை')

Typically it's used to be available as 'pattai' only in grocery stores in India, though I'm not sure about the current status as to whether they also sell the powdered version.

As this powder is a very common spice used here in North America (cinnamon buns, dough nuts sprinkled with cinnamon, pies with cinnamon etc), it's easily available in stores (and very cheap as well, Sams Club sells half kilo for US$5)

Try in some of the super markets and if not powder the pattai available in kitchen:-)

NOV
11th October 2008, 05:49 PM
Kulandhaigalukku vasambu evalo maasathil irundhu kudukalaam?... what is the dosage & frequency?... :shock:

vasambu kodukka pOreengalaa? :frightened:

as far as I know, vasamba roast panni thoppulla vaippaanga, to heal the wound.

appuram, chinna chinnathaa vetti, nool'la kOththu kaiyula kattuvaanga

and of course dhrishtti pottukku vaippanga

oral'a kodukkradha paththi enakku theriyaadhu :boo:

padmanabha
11th October 2008, 09:55 PM
IT IS vasambu/vayambu is Accorus calamus- a herb believed to have salutary effect on the vocal chords and the faculty of speech.
hence it is orally given

if anyone talks loudly (irritating every one) people would ask
"evanukku yaru vasambu kudathathu"

dev
14th October 2008, 02:53 PM
NOV, inga ellam once a week or so vasambu suttu few drops kulandhaigalukku kudupaangalaam... it's said to ease colic in kids & cure all stomach problems...

Anoushka
15th October 2008, 01:31 AM
dev: I do know people give vasambu, but I have read in some magazine about the side effects too... didn't give Abhi any vasambu at all!

dev
16th October 2008, 08:38 PM
dev: I do know people give vasambu, but I have read in some magazine about the side effects too... didn't give Abhi any vasambu at all!

Anou, vasambu jaasthi kuduthaal kulandhaikuu thikku vaai aagidumnu solluvaanga!!!... adhava sollureenga???....

anyway, ippoadhaiku vasambu uraichu vayathila poosuren...I heard from a cousin that even some docs here recommend vasambu & some other paati vydhiyam for infants!!!

Uthappam
16th October 2008, 09:19 PM
That stuff vasambu, is a sedative.. proven one too.. That's why it is tied round the hands of the baby.. A little suck on it will keep the baby calm..

It can numb your tongue slightly.. Try it... Feel real goooood!!

dev
17th October 2008, 06:39 PM
That stuff vasambu, is a sedative.. proven one too.. That's why it is tied round the hands of the baby.. A little suck on it will keep the baby calm..

It can numb your tongue slightly.. Try it... Feel real goooood!!

:shock: Sedative!!! :roll: