PDA

View Full Version : Johny: Vote your favourite song

entertainment
2nd August 2008, 05:38 AM
Please select your most favorite song from the movie, Johny.

En Vaanilae - Jensy
Kattril Endhan Keetham - S Janaki
Senorita - SPB
Oru Iniya Manadhu - Jensy (another version by Sujatha)
Aasaiya Kaaththula - Shailaja

Lyrics: Kannadhasan(En Vaanilae) Gangai Amaran

Poll will be active for 15 days (from 2nd August till 17th August) .

Please correct if any information is wrong :)

Sanjeevi
2nd August 2008, 12:22 PM
Thanks entertainment, you did what I want to do

Jhony :sad: very very tough task

hmmm.......... will try

BTW I think it will be better to open poll always and at the same time we can set virutally the poll period as 7 days or 10 or 15 to announce the result

thilak4life
2nd August 2008, 12:25 PM
En Vaanilae

crazy
2nd August 2008, 01:51 PM
kaatril endhan geetham :musicsmile:

rajasaranam
2nd August 2008, 05:59 PM
A tough Task indeed! but I just gave a run of the songs in my mind once before selecting 'Oru Iniya Manathu' :) Amazing song IMO :notworthy:

balaji
2nd August 2008, 09:53 PM
A jency version of "Oru Iniya Manathu?

Where can I listen to that version?

Though tough to select the best, my pick would be 'En Vaanile"

Bala

entertainment
3rd August 2008, 12:51 AM
Thanks entertainment, you did what I want to do

Jhony :sad: very very tough task

hmmm.......... will try

BTW I think it will be better to open poll always and at the same time we can set virutally the poll period as 7 days or 10 or 15 to announce the result

Sanjeevi,
Okay. Going forward, I will make the poll, an open one.

priya32
3rd August 2008, 01:22 AM
My favorite is 'kaaRRil enthan gItham' also!

ovvoru muRai intha paattai kEkkumpOdhum 'manasai ennavO paNNum'!

very nice composition...which can last a lifetime!

vasanth2006
3rd August 2008, 03:19 AM
My favorite is en vanile....Piano usage is nice..... 8-)

MumbaiRamki
4th August 2008, 12:07 AM

almost similar was used in hey Ram's Nee Paartha song !

ajithfederer
4th August 2008, 01:18 AM
Aasaya kaathula !!!!!!!! - Much entertaining (I mean the tunes & lyrics only) :P

app_engine
4th August 2008, 07:03 AM
I had to vote for 'Asaya kAththula thoodhu vittu' simply because folk genre is my ever #1 preference:-)

Without this political consideration, my personal verdict is all female songs are equal on top with the SPB song #2 (for the pallavi lyrics, otherwise awesome instrumentation)!

app_engine
4th August 2008, 07:06 AM
Aasaya kaathula !!!!!!!! - Much entertaining (I mean the tunes & lyrics only) :P

OTOH, my biggest attraction on that song is instrumentation:-) The thavil percussion was so novel for it's time, why even now it's hair raising! And the flute sound creating a mystery feeling (like walking in a jungle) is so unique IR stuff! Inimitable Raja there!!

vasanth2006
4th August 2008, 09:34 AM

almost similar was used in hey Ram's Nee Paartha song !

Yes.....Nee partha has mesmerising piano and tune.....mind blowing stuff...... :)

sarna_blr
4th August 2008, 09:37 AM
Tough poll :cry: :cry:

Sanjeevi
4th August 2008, 09:45 AM
Voted for "Asaiya Kathula Thoothuvittu", sema song

but I love En vaninley, Katril songs, Senorita more than 'Aasaiya Kathula" :wink:

Renault
4th August 2008, 10:56 AM
Senorita ... absolutely hig energy and SPB would have flown like a river in this song..

The scisscors sound in the beginihg of the song is amazing creativity... 10/10.

Used to be days when we (a huge group) used to listen to this song in office almost everyday in the evening... the good old dotcom days with non-stop music in office.

crajkumar_be
4th August 2008, 11:22 AM
Freaking tough poll. Sanjeevi :twisted:

Voted for "Senorita" only to end up wondering...

The Jimmi Hendrix style guitar riffs, the tune and Balu Sir. Fantastic!

What an album! :notworthy:

P.S: A lot of people have named this song (mp3s etc) "Snow Rita" :lol:

Sanjeevi
4th August 2008, 11:50 AM
>> Freaking tough poll. Sanjeevi <<

:lol: Johny was selected by entertainment :cool:

yeah, freaking tough poll indeed, the result itself shows it. I won't wonder if more than one song will share the top spot

tvsankar
4th August 2008, 12:57 PM
My vote to "En vaanilae"

Usage of piano - Rajini tried to play.Then Sridevi taught him.
its the situation of the song.

When we carefully noticed We could see IR and Mahendran in their Best.

Rajini tried to play in single hand. This time note the sound of the piano.

Sridevi corrected him with both of her hands. This time
note the sound of the piano.

Really IR is Great. He taught us the sounds of piano.
Mahendran displyaed this scene in a very beautiful way.....................

Each and every time i enjoyed this bit with the great picturaisation.

kalnayak
4th August 2008, 01:10 PM
Ella songsum superthaan, AnAl romba romba enakku catchya pattadhu "Asaiaya kAthula ..." than. athukke enathu votu.

nanchil_guy
4th August 2008, 05:38 PM
oru iniya manadhu is one of those rare songs where you are not sure about what kind of feeling the song is trying to create in your mind.

The intreluds are so mesmarizing, creating a bit of pathos. but the lyrics and the whole song is creating a happy mood on the other hand.

may be the factors like all other songs are huge hits, and i should have listened them most of the time which made me to go for this oru iniya mandhu song. nonethless a great song and a great album, where you can/should not pick only one out of all these jems as your favourite.

One strange thing about this song is . the singer sujathe did wonderful job ( in few place she sounds like Jency) in this song which came in early 80's and vanished there after only to resurface in early 90's.

nanchil_guy
4th August 2008, 05:55 PM
One strange thing about this song is . the singer sujathe did wonderful job ( in few place she sounds like Jency) in this song which came in early 80's and vanished there after only to resurface in early 90's.

I am not sure about this guys. so please ignore it, if it is wrong.But even strange thing is sujatha indeed sang for raja in the movie kavikuil while she was doing her 6th grade and the song is ''Kaadhal Oviyam Kandein' which didnt find the place in the movie.

Shakthiprabha.
4th August 2008, 06:17 PM
I wish u had included 'ALL SONGS'

hence I DID NOT VOTE.

DeepTrance
4th August 2008, 11:13 PM
Strangely enough, my vote is for the song that I have heard least number of times among the lot. It is the song that I wanted to listen first from the list.
"Oru Iniya Manathu"'s initial 'La La La' lead in with that almost child-like voice gives us that anticipation of a great song to follow. The violin interludes too transcend the ordinary.
In the video of the song, there is a Sardar conducting the orchestra. I am told that it is Uttam Singh (of Dil to Pagal Hai fame). Any truth to that?

Shakthiprabha.
4th August 2008, 11:17 PM
I think I rate every song EQUALLY AWESOME for diff reason...except

SENORITA

which falls JUST A STEP behind (and thats not far behind )

app_engine
4th August 2008, 11:50 PM
Question - is Johny mono recording? Not even one song stereo?
(I think some songs of Guru -that got released around the same time- got recorded stereophonically and sounded awesome, possibly in Tharangini thanks to I V Sasi connection.)

hub rap
5th August 2008, 12:23 AM
The BGM beats the songs hands down.
http://66.90.103.126/~rose4you/www.rose4you.dk/index.php?dir=01.%20Tamil/Theme%20Music/Jhony/

En vAnilE among the options available.
"sirikkum sirippiNil oru mayakkam paravudhE
vArthaigal..... thEvaiyA?
aa aa aa ..... "

hub rap
5th August 2008, 12:24 AM

SENORITA

Cool avatar!!!

entertainment
5th August 2008, 01:23 AM

There are two version of "Oru Inyia Manadhu" song. One is by Jensy (or Jency) and the other one by Sujatha.

Shakthiprabha.
5th August 2008, 12:03 PM

SENORITA

Cool avatar!!!

hey :ty: hubrap!

app_engine
5th August 2008, 10:08 PM
This poll is much more interesting than the panneer pushpangaL (where one song got 0 and another was leading from the word 'go').

Each day a different song on the top and others pretty close:-)

I guess if they included the BGM in the poll, there wouldn't have been any competition (the theme score):-)

entertainment
6th August 2008, 01:20 AM
This poll is much more interesting than the panneer pushpangaL (where one song got 0 and another was leading from the word 'go').

Each day a different song on the top and others pretty close:-)

I guess if they included the BGM in the poll, there wouldn't have been any competition (the theme score):-)

May be I should have included the BGMs. But not only the theme. There are couple of other interesting BGMs like
* Johny, and vidhyasagar meeting (the violin piece),
* the chasing scene
* The fight scene (where the thabla and guitar used)
* vidhyasagar intro
* bamaintro
* bamashooting when she try to escape
* last but not the least, the cheating scene (a scene after oru iniya mandhu song)

Plum
6th August 2008, 03:25 PM
Vidyasagar intro is awesome.

ananth222
6th August 2008, 08:05 PM
This movie is one where I think the BGM surpasses the songs... can't think of which song to vote. Check out this BGM (I put together the intro themes into a longer track):
http://www.esnips.com/doc/bdb5cba5-1eab-4878-ae89-88b149868978/Johnny---Intro

Nerd
7th August 2008, 11:11 PM
[tscii:7ba1792204]Let me break the tie :P I could not choose between seņorita and en vaanilE. The mindblowing guitar riffs in the prelude and SPB's voice (also rajini's actions) made me vote for seņorita..[/tscii:7ba1792204]

crajkumar_be
7th August 2008, 11:13 PM
[tscii:db170e1ad1]Let me break the tie :P I could not choose between seņorita and en vaanilE. The mindblowing guitar riffs in the prelude and SPB's voice (also rajini's actions) made me vote for seņorita..[/tscii:db170e1ad1]
Yes!
Superb picturization

app_engine
7th August 2008, 11:41 PM
The theme score is played as BGM in one of the best scenes of the movie (in which Sridevi says 'nAn apdi thAn pEsuvEn'). In this primarily-Rajini movie, Sridevi had an excellent role and she did it commendably. (However in en vAnilE, she does not play the piano properly at all, comedy, much like the way she messes around with veeNai in 'chinnanchiru vayadhil' of meeNdum kOkilA - that's another comedy)

Sanjeevi
7th August 2008, 11:51 PM

SENORITA

Vote pottengala illaiya :wink:

skr
9th August 2008, 01:27 PM
Very difficult decision but my mind at this point of time says En Vannile..so i go with that..also if anybody has the Oru Iniya Manathu song sung by Sujatha..Pls up it..
Thanks..

Shakthiprabha.
9th August 2008, 02:06 PM

SENORITA

Vote pottengala illaiya :wink:

I refrained from voting till yest, today however I did cast my vote :(
I feel I am doing injustice by picking JUST ONE.

I like katril enthan geetham
I simply love the rhythm in aasaya kaathula
I fall badly for bg in en vaanile
I dumb struck when I listen to oru iniya manadhu.

What do I do :(

Finally BG score... pointed the gun n seduced me to vote

"
pirikkum vizhigaLil....oru mayakkam paravuthe...
vaarthaigaL ...thevaiya...
ah...ah...ah ...ah
:clap:
"

I was intoxicated and helplessly, voted for the some!

ganspb
9th August 2008, 08:06 PM
EnVanile.

It just piped through the post, due to its Breath Taking arrangements.
Can ever such a melody by recreated by the Maestro.
I hope he will.
As a composer he gets his maximum score for this song.

As a singer SPB brings out instant joy in SinoRita.It will lift your spirits with Rajini's acting.

We all know Katril is one of the best all time favorite of SJ, with the other 2, Madhaa un Kovilil and Ponvannam.I remember there was some discussion about this song. If this song properly sung it will be a clear winner in every competition.

Assaiya Kathilue.
Maestro took us to the territory which we have not been before.
Not many songs fall in the Genre.

IniyaManadhu.
What a Melody, with the symphonic BGM's in the middle. Especially, the First One.

Finally, the BGM. This one along with MounaRagam is the best ever for an Indian Film. I cannot say more than that.

A tough poll, but my vote is clearly for EnVanile.

crajkumar_be
11th August 2008, 04:32 PM
Finally, the BGM. This one along with MounaRagam is the best ever for an Indian Film. I cannot say more than that.

I would put Thalabadhi, Nayagan, Idhayathai Thirudathe, Udhayam right up there too

Shakthiprabha.
11th August 2008, 04:49 PM
someone vote for "oru iniya manadhu" and rise it up along with others :(

sarna_blr
11th August 2008, 04:56 PM
someone vote for "oru iniya manadhu" and rise it up along with others :(

kalla Ottu pOda sollalaamaa :twisted: :roll:

Querida
12th August 2008, 08:34 AM
:? very tough as others said...i thought ok it will be resolved if i listened to album again...one of the very few movies where i remember the bgm as vividly as the songs...still i think my vote goes for :kaatril varum geetham....though if asked twice i'd probably switch to another :oops: :D or if bgm was an option...would vote for that.

Querida
12th August 2008, 08:37 AM
Freaking tough poll. Sanjeevi :twisted:

Voted for "Senorita" only to end up wondering...

The Jimmi Hendrix style guitar riffs, the tune and Balu Sir. Fantastic!

What an album! :notworthy:

P.S: A lot of people have named this song (mp3s etc) "Snow Rita" :lol:

:lol: yes i have seen it as snowreeta from the album jhonny...

app_engine
12th August 2008, 09:37 AM
Once again "tie":-)

entertainment
12th August 2008, 09:57 AM
Once again "tie":-)

Yeah! Everyday different song in the lead :D

raaja_rasigan
12th August 2008, 03:03 PM
voted for "senorita" - ennamo theriyala I luv the lyrics, picturisation & SPB's solo & as usual IR

Shakthiprabha.
12th August 2008, 03:25 PM
plz vote for 'oru iniya manathu' I feel sad to see that lagging behind.

Shakthiprabha.
12th August 2008, 03:26 PM
dign

As a kid, I watched this movie in the FIRST ROW, stretching / lifting my head so high, Rajinikant and shridevi were looking gigantic and big in that screen.

and oh... I think I started liking rajnikant after that movie, cause it was first ever time I went for a tamizh movie, featuring rajnikant :)

I did not even understand the movie then :oops: excedpt I felt sad, whenever shridevi cried :D

/dign

Sanjeevi
12th August 2008, 03:56 PM
very interesting poll indeed :)

Somewhat I felt Oru Iniya Manathu will be bottom since it gives kiddish feel...........

ananth222
12th August 2008, 08:02 PM
Tight race here!
"Naina bole naina" is a hindi version of "Kaatril enthan geetham"(from aur ek prem kahani). This one is clearer, and may help you listen more closely to the intricacies of this song. I think it sounds even better in hindi.
Link: http://music.cooltoad.com/music/song.php?id=193794

Sanjeevi
12th August 2008, 09:06 PM
Tight race here!
"Naina bole naina" is a hindi version of "Kaatril enthan geetham"(from aur ek prem kahani). This one is clearer, and may help you listen more closely to the intricacies of this song. I think it sounds even better in hindi.
Link: http://music.cooltoad.com/music/song.php?id=193794

Yeah all songs in aur ek prem kahani are mindblowing :notworthy:

BTW it is nearing end of poll?

So we can start another poll with another album. Will it be a manirathnam film or mohan or ramarjan or kamal or rajini or ????

yaaravathu start pannungappa :wink:

Even we can run two at a time.

ananth222
12th August 2008, 09:22 PM
yea, lets close the poll while "Kaatril" is still no. 1! ;)
can we make the next poll such that people can vote for multiple songs? May help decide in close races.
Also, is it possible to change your vote after voting?

Sanguine Sridhar
13th August 2008, 10:58 AM
Senorita! I just love this song. S.P.B, Lyrics and the music, Visually SS, awesome treat! 8-)

raaja_rasigan
13th August 2008, 04:05 PM
voted for "senorita" - ennamo theriyala I luv the lyrics, picturisation & SPB's solo & as usual IR

Senorita! I just love this song. S.P.B, Lyrics and the music, Visually SS, awesome treat! 8-)

:)

Almost Same view!!!!!

thumburu
22nd August 2008, 02:51 PM
My pick is the classic "kaatril endhan geetham" , in the ghazal mould, with impeccable rendition by SJ. My second vote would be for "senorita" and "asaiya kaathula" , mainly for the innovative orchestration. Next would be "oru iniya manadhu" and the last one would be "en vaanile". The last 2 slide in my poll due to singers not living up to the songs' glory

Sid_316
22nd August 2008, 05:09 PM
Senorita and En Vaanile!!

app_engine
22nd August 2008, 10:09 PM
http://kumudam.com/magazine/Kumudam/2008-08-27/pg4.php

'oru iniya manadhu' is by Sujatha. I've not heard any Jency version - may be there's one, if this article is correct. (Or there could be an error in the article).

entertainment
24th August 2008, 01:33 PM
http://kumudam.com/magazine/Kumudam/2008-08-27/pg4.php

'oru iniya manadhu' is by Sujatha. I've not heard any Jency version - may be there's one, if this article is correct. (Or there could be an error in the article).

I am sure there are two version of Oru Iniya Mandhu. I have mentioned this in the poll description. I think Jensy's version is used in the movie. Just watch it on youtube and decide :)